Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deflating Rishi Sunak, again – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,435
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Does all this talk about punctuation ever get as far as Westward Ho! ?

Our son's name contains a character that is not in the Latin alphabet, dotted I or İ

We didn't expect the registrar to allow it, but she just got character map up on her PC and got the letter.
    I thought that letter had a dot already
    dotted capital I. İ. Not dotted lower-case i
    oic
    :smile:
    What does a dotted capital i sound like? Why does it need a dot?
    It seems a weird thing to do to your child but, you know.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,422

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Our son's name contains a character that is not in the Latin alphabet, dotted I or İ

We didn't expect the registrar to allow it, but she just got character map up on her PC and got the letter.
    The life of Pi ?
    Having a very unusual first name can lead to problems, and not just peer bullying at school. I’ve got such a name, and as I say now, in the evening of my days, if I had a pound for every time someone has got my name wrong…..
    It’s usually OK now because people humour an old man, but I’ve had quite awkward ‘discussions’ with people in minor authoritarian positions.

And Good Morning everybody.
    A friend attended Portsmouth University and on occasion would drink in pubs where the navy types also drank. On occasion things would be rowdy and the MPs would attend, ‘sort’ things out and take away the miscreants. My friends colleague, named by his parents John Smith had no end of trouble convincing them he wasnt a squaddie lying about his name…
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,887

Sandpit said:

Our son's name contains a character that is not in the Latin alphabet
    Found Elon Musk’s account
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,153

Sandpit said:

Er... have you not caused your son a lot of grief throughout his life by doing that?

It's his second name. His first is a good old English classic.

We gave him four names - an English name, a Turkish name, his Turkish surname as a middle name, then his English surname. Hence his English relatives call him by his first and last names, whilst his Turkish ones often call him by the Turkish second and third. It works quite well, and respects both cultures.

Anyway, the dotted İ and English Latin I are virtually indistinguishable.

I did consider making his initial form an ARM instruction code, such as BIC, SBC or RSC, but that was too much for Mrs J ... :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,153
    As an aside, my Dad had a business acquaintance whose name was "Hans Christian Andersen". As you can imagine, it led to loads of merriment during his life, especially with the police.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

I thought that letter had a dot already
    dotted capital I. İ. Not dotted lower-case i
    oic
    :smile:
    What does a dotted capital i sound like? Why does it need a dot?
    Who are you to deny them the right to a dot if they so wish?!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Boris logic.

"BORIS JOHNSON: Baby boomers like me have had it so good. That's why it's right to cut inheritance tax to give a helping hand to Gen Z and Millennials"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12762305/BORIS-JOHNSON-right-cut-inheritance-tax.html

That suggestion only works if only those born after 1980 are allowed to inherit.

I suspect that is not what Boris wants.
This discussion has been closed.