Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deflating Rishi Sunak, again – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,076

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Johnson weighs in on IHT cut and says he is favour. It is the right time because Gen Z need all the help they can get from baby boomers who have had it cushy.

Interestingly, it reads like this is a done deal on IHT next week.

When the Chancellor of the Exchequer rises next week to announce a long-awaited cut in inheritance tax, I can confidently predict that the Left will go more or less bananas.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12762305/BORIS-JOHNSON-right-cut-inheritance-tax.html

I think it’s a red herring and the IHT cut will come just before the next general election .
    Keir can show clear water between LAB and CON by immediately committing to stop/reverse any IHT cut. But he probably won't.
    He should abolish IHT, and make any gifts or legacies received >£10k in a year subject to income tax.
    Labour will have to be careful how they respond . Certainly they need to try and get through to people that only 4% of estates qualify . Much more of the public think they’re going to be effected than the reality . They should stress the country can’t afford this with crumbling public services . A lot of people when polled dislike IHT even though they are likely to never have enough assets to leave to the children to be effected .
    My plan's better. (Tbf I think Barty suggested it a while back.)
    You’d think Reeves and Starmer would have gamed this scenario. I’ll be interested to see what they come up with .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    edited November 2023
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Anyone else watching Napoleon next weekend?

The film seems to have really annoyed the French, as it's too "pro-British", which swung it for me.

I intend to see it - Ridley Scott may be past his best but has done some great movies in his time, Joaquin Phoenix is a phenomenal actor, and Napoleon should be easy to make a fascinating movie out of. There's so much material in his life it should be impossible to make a boring biopic out of him, though no doubt someone could manage it, given most biopics are dull.

The IMDB description does make it seem a little weird though - important as it was, is through that prism the best way to see the entire rise and fall?

An epic that details the checkered rise and fall of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his relentless journey to power through the prism of his addictive, volatile relationship with his wife, Josephine.
    Ridley Scott is one film away from brilliance and one film away from shit. He has a lovely eye, a very good sense of place and scene, and absolutely no ability to distinguish a crap film from genius. Whatever he does is interesting, if not good. Apparently he's domesticised the drama, turning it into Marriage Story with added war. The film is longer than your life. I'm going to ignore it until it comes out on Netflix, then ignore it some more. The Marvels , for all its faults, is funnier and is less than two hours long. Just saying. 😃
    I don't think I laughed once.

I was looking for it, but you can also tell just how chopped down that film is. It's not often I feel I can see where parts of the script and story are missing. One of the ones I can remember like that is, funnily enough, Ridley Scott's Prometheus.

On length generally it feels like editors no longer exist in Hollywood for many films. I like a long film just fine, but many don't need to be that long.
  • Options

Johnson weighs in on IHT cut and says he is favour. It is the right time because Gen Z need all the help they can get from baby boomers who have had it cushy.

When the Chancellor of the Exchequer rises next week to announce a long-awaited cut in inheritance tax, I can confidently predict that the Left will go more or less bananas.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12762305/BORIS-JOHNSON-right-cut-inheritance-tax.html

If so, it's pretty silly they've failed to keep it under wraps rather than risk 3-4 days of left-wing attacks to change the narrative and dilute the political impact of the announcement on the day.
    Other possibility is that Boris doesn't have a clue what's going on. But he wants IHT to be cut, and is trying to force the Chancellor's hand by writing in the papers that it's a done deal. Boris's journalism has always been more about what he wants to happen / what he wants to say is happening than what actually is happening.

But even if tax cuts are a good idea, and even if the Conservative right wants them... Cutting IHT while income tax is still rising by stealth is insane, isn't it?
    I don't have any problem with a cut in IHT, a tax I don't like.

I suspect Hunt is simply finding a way to maximise political benefit of tax cuts without stoking inflation- which, whilst down, still isn't tamed.
  • Options

nico679 said:

I think it’s a red herring and the IHT cut will come just before the next general election .
    Keir can show clear water between LAB and CON by immediately committing to stop/reverse any IHT cut. But he probably won't.
    He should abolish IHT, and make any gifts or legacies received >£10k in a year subject to income tax.
    What a great and inspired idea. 😉
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Labour will have to be careful how they respond . Certainly they need to try and get through to people that only 4% of estates qualify . Much more of the public think they’re going to be effected than the reality . They should stress the country can’t afford this with crumbling public services . A lot of people when polled dislike IHT even though they are likely to never have enough assets to leave to the children to be effected .
    You’d think Reeves and Starmer would have gamed this scenario. I’ll be interested to see what they come up with .
    a) Let's hope so, and b) yes, me too.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Don't forget a lot of pensioners and old folk will find themselves hit disproportionately for income tax this year - or so it will seem compared to last year. Stealth tax, and the increase in savings - anyone who has 25K cash should be seeing it overflow the 1K allowance ikf they have been sensible.

It's the hassle of income tax returns and the fear of getting it wrong in the technoera that is part of it, too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not a Boris Johnson fan myself, but the Tories would probably be on 30% if he was leader.

How could he be leader still? Had he not resigned over Pincher, he would have been suspended by the result of Privileges Committee investigation, subject to a recall and lost his seat in the consequent by-election.

For Johnson to be leader he would have to have not made reckless decisions regarding Pincher and not serially lied to the HoC. In other words for Johnson to still be leader he'd need to have not been Johnson.
    Unless Boris had integrity and a work ethic (he doesn't and he never will) I don't think there was or is a path for the Tories to avoid their fate.

Covid and Ukraine accelerated it but Boris would have been found out by one thing or another. It was clear he was very lazy and lackadaisical even before Covid hit in early 2020 with his long and leisurely post election holiday.
    Yes but the Conservatives removing Boris was like Labour pushing Blair out, it removed their most successful and charismatic general election winner for a generation.

Even now 16 years since Blair ceased being PM and Labour leader and after 4 consecutive Labour general election defeats, Starmer is not really an election winner in the Blair mould. He will probably win due to the Tory government's unpopularity rather than any great enthusiasm for him and the Tories will likely have a similar problem, it will take years and likely over a decade to find a similar charismatic leader like Boris
    Boris's polling was already in the toilet before he was pushed out.

He's most to blame for the current predicament.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Some things are just too divisive.

...Gray admitted that some people were now complaining that there shouldn’t be a full stop after the “St” in “St. Mary’s”. “I’m not getting involved in that - it’s too controversial.”..
    I hope they took as much time as when Cornwall Cornwall debated for 90 minutes on whether Land's End should have an apostrophe.

Given they approved it unanimously I don't know how they discussed it for over an hour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6162071/Lands-Ends-Lands-End-Official-spelling-confirmed-debate.html
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/lands-end-gets-an-apostrophe-as-cornwall-council-officially-ends-punctuation-debate-a3934466.html
    King's Cross in London has an apostrophe:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_King's_Cross_railway_station

But it's "Kings Cross" in Sydney:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Cross_railway_station,_Sydney
    Earls Court
    Barons Court and Earl’s Court.
    Exeter City play at St James Park.

Newcastle United play at St James' Park.

Meanwhile in London there is Saint James's Park.
    St. James's Park in London, not Saint.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

The film seems to have really annoyed the French, as it's too "pro-British", which swung it for me.

I intend to see it - Ridley Scott may be past his best but has done some great movies in his time, Joaquin Phoenix is a phenomenal actor, and Napoleon should be easy to make a fascinating movie out of. There's so much material in his life it should be impossible to make a boring biopic out of him, though no doubt someone could manage it, given most biopics are dull.

The IMDB description does make it seem a little weird though - important as it was, is through that prism the best way to see the entire rise and fall?

An epic that details the checkered rise and fall of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his relentless journey to power through the prism of his addictive, volatile relationship with his wife, Josephine.
    Ridley Scott is one film away from brilliance and one film away from shit. He has a lovely eye, a very good sense of place and scene, and absolutely no ability to distinguish a crap film from genius. Whatever he does is interesting, if not good. Apparently he's domesticised the drama, turning it into Marriage Story with added war. The film is longer than your life. I'm going to ignore it until it comes out on Netflix, then ignore it some more. The Marvels , for all its faults, is funnier and is less than two hours long. Just saying. 😃
    I can’t forgive him for Alien : Covenant . Utter tripe . I just about coped with Prometheus.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

Our daughter was in the set-design team (for the horses)

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,160
    Personally, I would abolish inheritance tax, and instead make gifts taxable. (You would have a lifetime gift allowance of - say - £1m, and above that they are taxed at 20%.) Obviously gifts between husband and wife are expempt.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

The Marvels has been very well reviewed.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not a Boris Johnson fan myself, but the Tories would probably be on 30% if he was leader.

How could he be leader still? Had he not resigned over Pincher, he would have been suspended by the result of Privileges Committee investigation, subject to a recall and lost his seat in the consequent by-election.

For Johnson to be leader he would have to have not made reckless decisions regarding Pincher and not serially lied to the HoC. In other words for Johnson to still be leader he'd need to have not been Johnson.
    Unless Boris had integrity and a work ethic (he doesn't and he never will) I don't think there was or is a path for the Tories to avoid their fate.

Covid and Ukraine accelerated it but Boris would have been found out by one thing or another. It was clear he was very lazy and lackadaisical even before Covid hit in early 2020 with his long and leisurely post election holiday.
    Yes but the Conservatives removing Boris was like Labour pushing Blair out, it removed their most successful and charismatic general election winner for a generation.

Even now 16 years since Blair ceased being PM and Labour leader and after 4 consecutive Labour general election defeats, Starmer is not really an election winner in the Blair mould. He will probably win due to the Tory government's unpopularity rather than any great enthusiasm for him and the Tories will likely have a similar problem, it will take years and likely over a decade to find a similar charismatic leader like Boris
    Boris's polling was already in the toilet before he was pushed out.

He's most to blame for the current predicament.
    Electing Johnson was the political equivalent of fighting off a hangover with another massive crate of booze. It worked for the Conservatives in the sort term, but just created a bigger problem down the line.

Now it can be argued that, in 2019, that was necessary, because the alternative was Comrade Jez. Personally, I'm not entirely convinced (and Johnson played a significant role in May's downfall and the failure of her Brexit plan). But it doesn't matter- eventually, democracy demands a change at the top.

And, whatever his charisma, Johnson was too lazy and dishonest to be a good Prime Minister.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 943
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

Nobody has been an election winner in the Blair mould in either party in those 16 years, able not only to persuade the public enough to get a convincing win but also able to execute well enough when in office to get a second and a third. Boris had the win but not the competence in office to be able to even make it to a second attempt, let alone a second win; Cameron took two tries to get to a majority and screwed himself over when he got it. The less said about the rest the better.

(I think we'd probably be better off as a nation if charisma counted for less in elections, but that's human nature for you.)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,505
    isam said:

Barnesian said:

The Tory line in the EMA chart is not showing any sign of life.
    Reform is perking up.

Reform will surely not poll half that. Will they have the candidates? I’d be pretty down on them vs Green if it were an Even money match bet. The only snag could be if Farage came back as leader , esp if he does well in the jungle.
    One of the things that makes me wonder is if the result of the general election looks like a foregone conclusion, then what is the point in voting tactically to stop Labour, if Labour can't be stopped?

The squeeze might not work and more voters might decide to vote Reform to send a message to the Tories about what they think they did wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Don't forget a lot of pensioners and old folk will find themselves hit disproportionately for income tax this year - or so it will seem compared to last year. Stealth tax, and the increase in savings - anyone who has 25K cash should be seeing it overflow the 1K allowance ikf they have been sensible.

It's the hassle of income tax returns and the fear of getting it wrong in the technoera that is part of it, too.
    I know, I've already had to help out one baffled and anxious man in his 80s who had a Simple Tax Assessment last year and couldn't understand why, as he only has a (quite good) State Pension. Going to happen more and more.

God alone knows why DWP can't do what every single employer does and deduct ICT when due.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Personally, I would abolish inheritance tax, and instead make gifts taxable. (You would have a lifetime gift allowance of - say - £1m, and above that they are taxed at 20%.) Obviously gifts between husband and wife are expempt.

Good idea.

£1m lifetime allowance seems too high though. I know it won't seem like a lot to you ;-) but it's a lifetime's earnings for a lot of people.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

isam said:

Barnesian said:

Reform is perking up.

Reform will surely not poll half that. Will they have the candidates? I’d be pretty down on them vs Green if it were an Even money match bet. The only snag could be if Farage came back as leader , esp if he does well in the jungle.
    One of the things that makes me wonder is if the result of the general election looks like a foregone conclusion, then what is the point in voting tactically to stop Labour, if Labour can't be stopped?

The squeeze might not work and more voters might decide to vote Reform to send a message to the Tories about what they think they did wrong.
    On the other side, I'm going to have a real struggle deciding how to vote because on the one hand, under FPTP and in an ultra-safe Tory seat, my vote is ultimately pointless but on the other hand, I only get one vote and I don't want to waste it.

Suggestions?
  • Options
    Oh FFS

Restoration of parliament faces downgrade to "enhanced maintenance" + debate on next steps postponed until next year.

How we got here (abbreviated version)...

This year has been spent working up two main options: a “full decant” of MPs into temporary accommodation while major works are carried out, versus some form of “continued presence” on the parliamentary estate.
    If these sound familiar, it's because they've always been the main options on the table.

But they had to be scoped and presented again after the independent body set up to oversee restoration in 2018 was scrapped and its functions brought in-house...

Of course with rising costs and a looming election, restoration was looking less and less likely. But the journey here was tortuous, and it's hardly a great advertisement for our record on major infrastructure projects

https://nitter.net/estwebber/status/1725434647977275747#m

I get it, leaving it for a proper restoration is hated by MPs, and the billions it would cost will be very unpopular with the public, but a patch and mend doesn't fix the problems and it will only get more and more expensive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

The Marvels has been very well reviewed.
    The Crown series 6 has been very well reviewed. Unfortunately all those reviews decided it's an unmitigated disaster.
  • Options
    Starmer rules out Corbyn ever standing as a Labour candidate again .

This is after the interview Corbyn gave to Piers Morgan .
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    kle4 said:

Oh FFS

Restoration of parliament faces downgrade to "enhanced maintenance" + debate on next steps postponed until next year.

This year has been spent working up two main options: a “full decant” of MPs into temporary accommodation while major works are carried out, versus some form of “continued presence” on the parliamentary estate.
    If these sound familiar, it's because they've always been the main options on the table.

But they had to be scoped and presented again after the independent body set up to oversee restoration in 2018 was scrapped and its functions brought in-house...

Of course with rising costs and a looming election, restoration was looking less and less likely. But the journey here was tortuous, and it's hardly a great advertisement for our record on major infrastructure projects

I get it, leaving it for a proper restoration is hated by MPs, and the billions it would cost will be very unpopular with the public, but a patch and mend doesn't fix the problems and it will only get more and more expensive.

It's almost as if they're waiting for it to do a Notre Dame so they can rebuild it afterwards
  • Options

How the flip have we ended up with a computer system that can't handle apostrophes?
    It's computer systems in general. An apostrophe in an input data string will break any simple operation that uses that string, unless extra effort is put in to deal with the errant character.

This is because the apostrophe is interpreted as a single-quote character, which would end the string prematurely, and then leave the rest of the characters in the street name to foul up the rest of your computer operation.

Now it should be that well-written code will check for these things, particularly as not doing so leaves you vulnerable to SQL injection attacks and the like (XKCD did a famous cartoon about this involving a child called little Johnny drop tables). But spending the time to do that, and test it properly, is expensive and slows down what people want to do. So, it doesn't happen. And people decide it's easier to get rid of the apostrophes from street names instead.
  • Options
    In fairness I suppose sometimes people on twitter get something right (this re the recent Bin Laden TikTok worry). Though that might be just me being fooled into thinking that.

Deeply gullible people convincing themselves that the worst symptoms of being gullible - eg falling for outlandish and extremist falsehoods - are actually evidence that they possess unique insight and open-mindedness is one of the modern world’s biggest ongoing problems

https://nitter.net/wallaceme/status/1725152928187519325#m
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972
    nico679 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

I can’t forgive him for Alien : Covenant . Utter tripe . I just about coped with Prometheus.
    Just wait for the next Bladerunner/Alien film which is supposed to join the two 'universes'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh FFS

Labour should include in their manifesto moving to a new parliament building permanently. Convert the Palace of Westminster into a mega tourist attraction/hotel/whatever, preserving its fabric as far as possible.

Got to be cheaper, shirley?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,395

isam said:

Barnesian said:

Reform is perking up.

The point I suppose would be if things look really bad, to ensure a Tory party is left afterwards. Part of Labour's massive lifts from dire previous polling in 2017 & 19 was people who were angry with the party but still had sympathy with its basic principles.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

I did, however, really enjoy "Raised By Wolves" which was splendidly crazy :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_by_Wolves_(American_TV_series)

• Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

...Gray admitted that some people were now complaining that there shouldn’t be a full stop after the “St” in “St. Mary’s”. “I’m not getting involved in that - it’s too controversial.”..
    I hope they took as much time as when Cornwall Cornwall debated for 90 minutes on whether Land's End should have an apostrophe.

Given they approved it unanimously I don't know how they discussed it for over an hour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6162071/Lands-Ends-Lands-End-Official-spelling-confirmed-debate.html
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/lands-end-gets-an-apostrophe-as-cornwall-council-officially-ends-punctuation-debate-a3934466.html

Earls Court

St. James's Park in London, not Saint.
    St Albans Cathedral (in St Albans)
    St Alban's Church (in Copenhagen)
    St Alban's Church (in Holborn)
    St Albans (Vermont, also West Virgina)
  • Options

How the flip have we ended up with a computer system that can't handle apostrophes?
    It's computer systems in general. An apostrophe in an input data string will break any simple operation that uses that string, unless extra effort is put in to deal with the errant character.

This is because the apostrophe is interpreted as a single-quote character, which would end the string prematurely, and then leave the rest of the characters in the street name to foul up the rest of your computer operation.

Now it should be that well-written code will check for these things, particularly as not doing so leaves you vulnerable to SQL injection attacks and the like (XKCD did a famous cartoon about this involving a child called little Johnny drop tables). But spending the time to do that, and test it properly, is expensive and slows down what people want to do. So, it doesn't happen. And people decide it's easier to get rid of the apostrophes from street names instead.
    https://www.wired.com/story/null-license-plate-landed-one-hacker-ticket-hell/
  • Options

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

Labour should include in their manifesto moving to a new parliament building permanently. Convert the Palace of Westminster into a mega tourist attraction/hotel/whatever, preserving its fabric as far as possible.

I'm very much in favour of restoring it and keeping its use as a legislature, but the way the parties are acting about it they might as well do that, as the way they are going it's going to cost way more, and go the way of Notre Dame to boot. And unlike the French won't even bother to try to restore it.
  • Options

"Why haven't you already completed this oh-so-simple task?!?!?!"

"Also, why have we been hacked?!?!?!"
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Palace of Westminster is a grade 1 listed building, so certainly permission would not be given for it to be a theme park and even a hotel would have restrictions on what they could do with it.

It is also iconic globally as the home of British democracy and our parliament, in any case Portcullis house can be used more while renovations are undertaken and MPs could move into Westminster Hall while the chamber has work done
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ohnotnow said:

nico679 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Just wait for the next Bladerunner/Alien film which is supposed to join the two 'universes'.
    That's both unnecessary and about 5 years too late if it were serious(I hope it is not and am not even a big fan of either). Shared universes were all the rage thanks to the success of the MCU, several abortive copies, but the trend is dying down.

They'd try it if they could.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

I'm very much in favour of restoring it and keeping its use as a legislature, but the way the parties are acting about it they might as well do that, as the way they are going it's going to cost way more, and go the way of Notre Dame to boot. And unlike the French won't even bother to try to restore it.
    We're still not allowed to put the barrels full of gunpowder under it, right? Another Great British Tradition ruined by the wokerati blob!...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

That would hit even more Labour voters than reversing an IHT cut would
    Sure, it would hit me, and I may vote Labour (depending on tactical considerations). What seems to perplex you is that many people vote for what they think is best for the country, not necessarily for their own narrow self-interest.

I appreciate that will be difficult for you to comprehend.
    A few, most vote largely out of self interest in the privacy of the polling booth
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

nico679 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

That's both unnecessary and about 5 years too late if it were serious(I hope it is not and am not even a big fan of either). Shared universes were all the rage thanks to the success of the MCU, several abortive copies, but the trend is dying down.

They'd try it if they could.
    It was very much on the cards last time I checked. Sorry to say.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Corbyn should stand in Starmer's seat. That would be Portillo on steroids.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

Unlikely to be cheaper. The problem is the building itself which needs to be fixed for tourists as well as MPs. The cost of replacing green and red benches is minimal.
  • Options
    We should cherish our apostrophes. Especially when they give rise to ambiguities. E.g. in King's Cross is cross a noun, so an item of his possession, or an adverb, making it about his gouty disposition?
  • Options
    Somewhat offtopic, but... :

https://openai.com/blog/openai-announces-leadership-transition

"Chief technology officer Mira Murati appointed interim CEO to lead OpenAI; Sam Altman departs the company.

Search process underway to identify permanent successor."

• Options

nico679 said:

Jeremy Who?

Sadiq Khan would win a third term as Mayor of London even if Jeremy Corbyn stands as an independent, according to a new poll.

The survey of Londoners by Find Out Now put Mr Khan on 39 per cent, Tory Susan Hall 24 per cent, Mr Corbyn 14 per cent, Liberal Democrat Rob Blackie seven per cent, Green candidate Zoe Garbett six per cent and Howard Cox of Reform UK on five per cent.

When people who backed ex-Labour leader Corbyn were asked who they would choose if he did not stand, Mr Khan went up to 46 per cent, Ms Hall 26 per cent, Mr Blackie and Ms Garbett both nine per cent and Mr Cox six per cent.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/sadiq-khan-to-beat-susan-hall-even-if-jeremy-corbyn-stands-in-london-mayoral-race/ar-AA1k1mgv
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,859
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

We're still not allowed to put the barrels full of gunpowder under it, right? Another Great British Tradition ruined by the wokerati blob!...
    If this restoration planning farce goes on much longer a Single Dodgy Sparkler From The Newsagents Plot will suffice to send the place up.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Palace of Westminster is a grade 1 listed building, so certainly permission would not be given for it to be a theme park and even a hotel would have restrictions on what they could do with it.

It is also iconic globally as the home of British democracy and our parliament, in any case Portcullis house can be used more while renovations are undertaken and MPs could move into Westminster Hall while the chamber has work done
    Well maybe a hotel is going too far but it could be preserved as it is and open as a tourist attraction. If we can do that for the Tower of London, we can do it for the PoW.

I would not use Westminster Hall for the HoC - it's too rare and special a building for that. Move the lot to the ExCel Centre while they build a new parliament in Stratford. (Or Gospel Oak - going to have good train connections I hear.)
  • Options

nico679 said:

Jeremy Who?

Sadiq Khan would win a third term as Mayor of London even if Jeremy Corbyn stands as an independent, according to a new poll.

The survey of Londoners by Find Out Now put Mr Khan on 39 per cent, Tory Susan Hall 24 per cent, Mr Corbyn 14 per cent, Liberal Democrat Rob Blackie seven per cent, Green candidate Zoe Garbett six per cent and Howard Cox of Reform UK on five per cent.

When people who backed ex-Labour leader Corbyn were asked who they would choose if he did not stand, Mr Khan went up to 46 per cent, Ms Hall 26 per cent, Mr Blackie and Ms Garbett both nine per cent and Mr Cox six per cent.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/sadiq-khan-to-beat-susan-hall-even-if-jeremy-corbyn-stands-in-london-mayoral-race/ar-AA1k1mgv
    Corbyn and Starmer are in neighbouring seats. What the outer London boroughs make of them is irrelevant. Anyway, it would be a Portillo moment whoever won.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962

So the apostrophe might be our last defence against AI ...
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

"Chief technology officer Mira Murati appointed interim CEO to lead OpenAI; Sam Altman departs the company.

Wow.

• Options
    One in four high earners on six-figure incomes are living “pay cheque to pay cheque”, a study has claimed.

More than a quarter (26pc) of employees earning salaries upwards of £100,000 said they had no money left at the end of the month, according to a survey carried out by wealth manager RBC Brewin Dolphin.

Respondents primarily blamed cost of living increases (90pc), as well as rising mortgage payments (38pc) and debt repayments (29pc). In London, 28pc of the 1,700 high earners polled said they were struggling to live within their means.

Carla Morris, a financial planner at the wealth manager, said: “The findings of our survey underline just how much the cost-of-living crisis has affected every section of society in the UK.

“Even people who are among the highest earners in the country are living pay cheque to pay cheque, with almost all of them citing the rising cost of living as one of the main reasons for being in that position.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/six-figure-earners-living-paycheque-to-paycheque/
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Can't they appoint a Bot?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Good idea.

£1m lifetime allowance seems too high though. I know it won't seem like a lot to you ;-) but it's a lifetime's earnings for a lot of people.
    How about we leave it at £1m, but include private school fees as gifts?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Sure, it would hit me, and I may vote Labour (depending on tactical considerations). What seems to perplex you is that many people vote for what they think is best for the country, not necessarily for their own narrow self-interest.

A few, most vote largely out of self interest in the privacy of the polling booth
    How do you know?
  • Options
    FFS.

What an entitled, selfish prick.

My parents are spending my inheritance – what can I do about it?

Passing money between generations can be a complex – and thorny – subject

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/wills/how-can-stop-parents-spending-my-inheritance/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
  • Options

FFS.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/wills/how-can-stop-parents-spending-my-inheritance/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Lol, well, he is a Telegraph reader...
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Yup. And this is the sort of data that so-called AI is going to be trained on, and credulous people will believe that the artificial "intelligence" can't be wrong.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962
    rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Wow.

“Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities. The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI.”
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good idea.

How about we leave it at £1m, but include private school fees as gifts?
    Haha, surely anything purchased for you or your dependents has to be included as a gift? A bit like benefits in kind for employment.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

FFS.

Broaching the topic of inheritance with parents might be daunting because even the most diplomatic approach could appear to be self-interested.

Take it up with the dick who wrote the headline then! Not exactly the most diplomatic approach.

If you're making plans on the assumption your parents will give you something then you are probably in a very bad position for the future.

With the age people are living now once you do finally get your hands on the money your own kids are probably going to be grasping for it from you, the little devils.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Wow.

“Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities. The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI.”
    Another dickhead CEO I guess.

Are we getting more of them now, especially in tech and finance, or is that a false impression?
  • Options

CatMan said:

Yup. And this is the sort of data that so-called AI is going to be trained on, and credulous people will believe that the artificial "intelligence" can't be wrong.
    If this credulousness continues we'll end up with someone like Liz Truss as PM. Mark my words.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FFS.

Broaching the topic of inheritance with parents might be daunting because even the most diplomatic approach could appear to be self-interested.

Take it up with the dick who wrote the headline then! Not exactly the most diplomatic approach.

If you're making plans on the assumption your parents will give you something then you are probably in a very bad position for the future.

With the age people are living now once you do finally get your hands on the money your own kids are probably going to be grasping for it from you, the little devils.
    Yes. There did not seem to be an actual case there, just the headline.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Earls Court

typo!
  • Options
    edited November 2023

FFS.

No it isn't, proper Tories believe in building up the family assets and estate to pass to the next generation
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

So the apostrophe might be our last defence against AI ...
    Greengrocers will be the first to go when they rebel.
  • Options

One in four high earners on six-figure incomes are living “pay cheque to pay cheque”, a study has claimed.

More than a quarter (26pc) of employees earning salaries upwards of £100,000 said they had no money left at the end of the month, according to a survey carried out by wealth manager RBC Brewin Dolphin.

Respondents primarily blamed cost of living increases (90pc), as well as rising mortgage payments (38pc) and debt repayments (29pc). In London, 28pc of the 1,700 high earners polled said they were struggling to live within their means.

Carla Morris, a financial planner at the wealth manager, said: “The findings of our survey underline just how much the cost-of-living crisis has affected every section of society in the UK.

“Even people who are among the highest earners in the country are living pay cheque to pay cheque, with almost all of them citing the rising cost of living as one of the main reasons for being in that position.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/six-figure-earners-living-paycheque-to-paycheque/

Well move somewhere cheaper then. You don't have to live in central London, even if you earn 6 figures!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh FFS

It's fucking ridiculous. Risks the whole Palace burning down and being destroyed, like last time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited November 2023
    Didn’t realise Brian Eno was the President of ‘Stop The War’. I love his song ‘Another Green World’ aka the theme from BBC’s Horizon

‘Thousands of pupils leave lessons for Gaza protests’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/74f429b0-855b-11ee-ab78-b8f8e234f1ae?shareToken=595c0cef67c0ba7717d730ff7f6f6d8b
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FFS.

No it isn't, proper Tories believe in building up the family assets and estate to pass to the next generation
    Your response appears to be the first instance of someone reading the article not the headline rather than the other way around.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FFS.

As in “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation”

• Options

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

It's fucking ridiculous. Risks the whole Palace burning down and being destroyed, like last time.
    At least lastime we got an awesome and iconic (if rather shoddy) replacement out of it. This time? Not a chance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results
    So, you think the Tories are there for the selfish, not for the country?
  • Options
    In part this is because the Mar-a-Lago judge is pretending she will be going to trial in May, but considering how complex the Georgia case is apparently going to be, this seems way too late.

NEW: Fulton County district attorney Fani Willis asks Judge McAfee to set Trump’s trial date for Aug. 5, 2024.
    https://nitter.net/AnnaBower/status/1725614392207618261#m

Then again, I think this one will be televised, so awesome I guess?

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
  • Options

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

Difference between then and now is that GF couldn't light the fuse whereas now a light will blow the fuse

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

CatMan said:

If this credulousness continues we'll end up with someone like Liz Truss as PM. Mark my words.
    Hahaha, that's a good one. You'll be suggesting Donald Trump will become President next.

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    kle4 said:

Another dickhead CEO I guess.

Are we getting more of them now, especially in tech and finance, or is that a false impression?

I don't know about more, but there are definitely a lot of dickhead tech CEOs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results
    In 2017 it was the Tories under May offering the 'selfless' dementia tax, the voters decided otherwise.

Normally if you are on benefits and in council housing or work in the public sector you vote Labour, if you are a high owner in the private sector who owns a property you vote Tory.

People vote mostly for what benefits them most
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

Your response appears to be the first instance of someone reading the article not the headline rather than the other way around.
    Having read the article now it has little connection to the headline, more about how to maximise inheritance passed on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

At least lastime we got an awesome and iconic (if rather shoddy) replacement out of it. This time? Not a chance.
    Ok PBers: Which, if any, UK buildings or structures of the last 50 years could be called iconic?

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

FFS.

Having read the article now it has little connection to the headline, more about how to maximise inheritance passed on
    Now I'm even more confused! I assumed you had already read the article, which is indeed about what you said it was (and does not have much connection to the headline, which is what was objected to).
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

Ok PBers: Which, if any, UK buildings or structures of the last 50 years could be called iconic?

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
    No the first, yes to the second I'd say. The Eye perhaps, though it is pretty simple.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results
    In 2017 it was the Tories under May offering the 'selfless' dementia tax, the voters decided otherwise.

Normally if you are on benefits and in council housing or work in the public sector you vote Labour, if you are a high owner in the private sector who owns a property you vote Tory.

I'd suggest that normally if you are on benefits and in council housing, you don't vote ("they're all the same, what's the point"); at least that is my unscientific assessment from talking to people in that situation.

I can't find the evidence readily but isn't it the case that the traditional classes are switching their allegiance? A, B, and C1 trending to Labour and C2, D and E trending to Conservative?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    This is the most abject England team I can recall watching.

Wretched.

Against Malta.

Malta.

Thankfully they gifted us an own goal.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
    The Main Stand at Anfield.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    edited November 2023
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

His problem is that he enjoys writing his own scrips or at least co writing them and he's a poor writer. Visually he's one of the best if not the best but too often poor dialogue and childish storylines get in the way of some beautiful photography and exquisite set pieces. I saw 'Anatomy of a Fall' today which was the Palme d'Or winner at Cannes which was the opposite. Really well written with terrific dialogue and a budget which would hardly have covered Ridley's cigars.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2023

Shoddily written code. SQL prepared statements have been around for years and stop the rogue apostrophe issue dead its tracks.

One of our standard test names was O'Reilly & Sons because it has both the apostrophe and an ampersand which can break URLs
  • Options

Wretched.

Against Malta.

Malta.

Dead rubber, it was always going to be a dire match. I refer to my earlier post @ c. 19:45.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
    The Shard?
    Angel of the North?
    The Edinburgh Turd Hotel? (In a bad way...)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,802
    Regarding the subject of inheritence, in our case for various reasons we got it early, ie when we were in our late 30's. Consequently we have been able to buy our house and have financial security. It was cumulatively a life changing event, moved us from a precarious existence going month to month to being financially secure, whilst all the time doing basically the same job and leading the same lives.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,366
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results

If home owners vote Tory why haven’t the Tory governments built far more homes. Madness.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,422

Wretched.

Against Malta.

Malta.

It’s so obvious that the players know it doesn’t matter tonight.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
    The Shard?
    Angel of the North?
    The Edinburgh Turd Hotel? (In a bad way...)
    Yes to the first two. I am ruling out 'iconic in a bad way' - too many potential entrants.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results

If home owners vote Tory why haven’t the Tory governments built far more homes. Madness.
    Tory councils have often put more homes in local plans but then been thrown out in favour of NIMBY LDs and Independents and Greens. Though yes we do need more new homes targets set centrally
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
    The Main Stand at Anfield.
    As I said, I am ruling out 'iconic in a bad way' - too many potential entrants.
  • Options

Wretched.

Against Malta.

Malta.

Reminds me of when Gary Linekar and co had to desperately try to make England vs Lichtenstein seem worth watching.
  • Options
    Apple to pause advertising on X after Musk backs antisemitic post

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/17/apple-twitter-x-advertising-elon-musk-antisemitism-ads
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS

The Millennium Bridge?
    The Gherkin?
    Angel of the North
    Wembley Stadium
    The Shard
    The Walkie-talkie
  • Options
    edited November 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

How do you know?
    Election results

I'd suggest that normally if you are on benefits and in council housing, you don't vote ("they're all the same, what's the point"); at least that is my unscientific assessment from talking to people in that situation.

I can't find the evidence readily but isn't it the case that the traditional classes are switching their allegiance? A, B, and C1 trending to Labour and C2, D and E trending to Conservative?
    Well those people on benefits and in council housing who do vote normally vote Labour, indeed Labour even won most council house dwelling voters in 2019 when they lost heavily nationally.

In 2019 the only group of working age ie 18 to 65 the Tories won clearly was those earning over £100k a year. So the change hasn't been that significant and of course public sector workers in group AB are more likely to vote Labour than private sector workers in group DE, again partly due to self interest
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,422
    kle4 said:

Wretched.

Against Malta.

Malta.

Reminds me of when Gary Linekar and co had to desperately try to make England vs Lichtenstein seem worth watching.
    I’m on any result with England four or more goals so I’m annoyed at the disallowed goal!
  • Options

Apple to pause advertising on X after Musk backs antisemitic post

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/17/apple-twitter-x-advertising-elon-musk-antisemitism-ads

'Pause'

So 'can you be less racist for a little while at least', then we turn the taps back on?
This discussion has been closed.