Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB moves to an even stronger favourite to win overall majority – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,533
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

It's an interesting gambit, this pivot towards the old school centre-right. The more I think about it the more I think the impact on polling and electoral chances is going to be very mixed by region. I do think there is a problem brewing for the Lib Dems in the home counties here. Especially if Hunt unveils tax cuts for the higher paid this month or in spring. Look at TSE's reaction, and Topping's, and (though I appreciate not from the home counties) BigG's. The disaffected Cameroons have been looking around for some excuse to come home, and here it is.

Whereas for Labour in the North and Midlands this return to the old crew that brought austerity, stagnation and plummy accents to cabinet this must be a gift.

It's interesting to see Sunak doing precisely the opposite of what PB Tories have been advising him in recent days. He's going after the Lib Dems and the centre, and saying yah boo to the Refuk-curious. Let's see what happens to Lib Dem VI in the coming weeks as that may tell us if the blue wall gambit has succeeded.

My local party mates are all appalled.

Much sympathy with Braverman, none with Sunak....
    Yeah. I’ve gone from thinking “this is amusing” to “this will have mixed results” to “this will be a disaster”

Sunak has just annoyed far more people than he’s pleased
    Why?
    Daily Mail:

“Gutless Rishi Sunak sacks Suella Braverman and signs the end of the Tory party in government.

She was right about hate marches.
    Sacking Suella is an own goal for the Tories.

Keir Starmer must be rejoicing.”

https://x.com/amandajplatell/status/1723991879929286965?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Daily Telegraph:

“At the Cenotaph on Saturday, there was huge support for Suella among people from all walks of life.
    Rishi Sunak should resign. He is utterly useless.”

https://x.com/allisonpearson/status/1724019215433191523?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Sunak has ENRAGED the right. Alienating swathes of voters. Meanwhile, who is really gonna shift their vote TO the Tories because Old Etonian Dave “Brexit loser” Cameron is back as Foreign Secretary, as an unelected Lord?

Really, who? About 3 people on here. That’s it
    Labour isn't way ahead in the polls because the Tories are insufficiently populist and right wing.
    The Tories are living a weird double-existence of sounding populist and right wing - thereby infuriating the media and the commentariat - while not actually doing anything right-wing - thereby alienating their own voters.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Hearing Number 10 is struggling to find a new housing minister

Several people, including Jeremy Quin, are said to have turned it down

Comes after Kemi Badenoch and Michael Gove appeared to express unhappiness over removal of Rachel Maclean from role

George Osborne waits by the phone...

Housing Minister number 16 since 2010.

Shows where housing sits on the government priority list.
    There were nine in Blair/Brown's 13 years. Not exactly a ringing endorsement their, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_Under-Secretary_of_State_for_Housing
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,819

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Comes after Kemi Badenoch and Michael Gove appeared to express unhappiness over removal of Rachel Maclean from role

Sir Guy of Gosborne is the last person we want at Housing (imo).

He'll be whooping it up in the vineyard in his garden.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,045
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

An unelected Etonian holding one of the great offices of state, and a (near) billionaire in number 10. In the middle of a cost of living crisis.

The optics, as they say, are not good.

A Wykehamist as PM, an Etonian as Foreign Secretary and a Carthusian as Chancellor, all educated at Oxford for university (only Cleverly not major public school, only minor private school and non Oxbridge).

Looks like the highest concentration of top public/private school and Oxford alumni in the great offices of state since Macmillan's cabinet, with some new money too from Sunak's wife's family
    Yeah, the Tories can fuck off, after this. The more I think about it the angrier I get

I wasn’t gonna vote for them anyway, but now I’m not going to vote for them with real venom. Tossers
    I love it when the oiks get upset.
    And yet all the poshos who write for the snobby so-called “Spectator” magazine ALSO seem really angry
    Oiks don't need to explain themselves, but it would be helpful to have an insight into what is the underlying political philosophy and worldview of the Spectator, in its current extraordinary and muddled manifestation.
    I thought it was poshos who never deigned to explain themselves?>
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,796

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

It's an interesting gambit, this pivot towards the old school centre-right. The more I think about it the more I think the impact on polling and electoral chances is going to be very mixed by region. I do think there is a problem brewing for the Lib Dems in the home counties here. Especially if Hunt unveils tax cuts for the higher paid this month or in spring. Look at TSE's reaction, and Topping's, and (though I appreciate not from the home counties) BigG's. The disaffected Cameroons have been looking around for some excuse to come home, and here it is.

Whereas for Labour in the North and Midlands this return to the old crew that brought austerity, stagnation and plummy accents to cabinet this must be a gift.

It's interesting to see Sunak doing precisely the opposite of what PB Tories have been advising him in recent days. He's going after the Lib Dems and the centre, and saying yah boo to the Refuk-curious. Let's see what happens to Lib Dem VI in the coming weeks as that may tell us if the blue wall gambit has succeeded.

Yeah. I’ve gone from thinking “this is amusing” to “this will have mixed results” to “this will be a disaster”

Why?
    Daily Mail:

“Gutless Rishi Sunak sacks Suella Braverman and signs the end of the Tory party in government.

https://x.com/amandajplatell/status/1723991879929286965?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Daily Telegraph:

“At the Cenotaph on Saturday, there was huge support for Suella among people from all walks of life.

https://x.com/allisonpearson/status/1724019215433191523?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Sunak has ENRAGED the right. Alienating swathes of voters. Meanwhile, who is really gonna shift their vote TO the Tories because Old Etonian Dave “Brexit loser” Cameron is back as Foreign Secretary, as an unelected Lord?

Polling has shown that chasing the nutter vote doesn’t deliver for Sunak. Winning back a few centrist voters in the blue wall might be a better strategy.
    I think this sums up Sunak's issue:

Sunak has always had a vibe problem, that he's pretty right-wing but centrist-coded.

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1724052412552372342
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Polling has shown that chasing the nutter vote doesn’t deliver for Sunak. Winning back a few centrist voters in the blue wall might be a better strategy.
    Indeed, chasing the 'ban smoking so that in future 33 year olds will be able to buy cigs but 32 year olds won't be' fans isn't working.

The problem is the centre; change that and there is a chance of more than 25% in the polls. At present, I don't see how Sunak exceeds that by much.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,653
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Labour isn't way ahead in the polls because the Tories are insufficiently populist and right wing.
    The Tories are living a weird double-existence of sounding populist and right wing - thereby infuriating the media and the commentariat - while not actually doing anything right-wing - thereby alienating their own voters.
    Exactly right
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

Barclay has been euthanised.

Well Barclay and Braverman at least now have the bonus of not being directly responsible for defeat if Sunak's cabinet loses the next general election and they then make bids to be Leader of the Opposition
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Pearson is increasingly deranged. At the Cenotaph on Saturday were pig-shit thick football hooligans who had a day off because Chelsea and West Ham weren't playing. While she is probably right that they supported Suella, in the main, I'm not sure that's a great point in Braverman's favour.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    edited November 2023
    MattW said:

Post Office Scandal.

There's a new series of 6 programmes Mon-Fri lunchtime and Fri evening updating this on Radio 4 by Nick Wallis.

First one is on now.

All 6 are available at the podcast page:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jf7j/broadcasts/upcoming

Although @Cyclefree has suggested the Judge suspend the inquiry, so that prosecutions might follow, I do want to see Paula Venells facing the music. No doubt "lessons have been learned", and "I think I'm the real victim here", will feature in her evidence.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@oflynnsocial

I think there is going to be a concerted attempt by significant numbers of Tory MPs to get Rishi Sunak out straight after Christmas and then bounce into a general election as early as April under a new Tory PM.

Well at least then it will keep costs down as the remaining Tory MPs will be able all share a taxi.
    Party motorhome surely?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Polling has shown that chasing the nutter vote doesn’t deliver for Sunak. Moving a few voters in the blue wall might be a better strategy.
    With due respect you’re not in the UK. You don’t sense the mood

Sunak was going to lose the election anyway. All he’s done is bring forward the inevitable Tory civil war so that the defeat might be even worse than anticipated. Genius, not

Maybe that was his intention in some honourable masochistic good-for-the-party way? I doubt it. I think this is another cretinous decision from a flailing and rubbish politician who doesn’t know what to do
    I’m happy to concede now - after two years - that I can’t read the mood now. I’m losing a bit of interest in UK politics which seems almost comically parochial and facile, without picking up a commensurate interest in US politics.

You may have a point about Tory civil wars.
    In personal view, Sunak would be well rid of all the extreme loons - and their hangers-on at GB News, the Mail, and the Telegraph - who have toileted the Conservatives since at least 2016.

There’s little evidence that extreme woke-frothing has any sustainable appeal in the real world, even if it works as short-term clickbait.

It’s the economy, stupid, etc.
    Or rather, the cozzie-livs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,045

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

There were nine in Blair/Brown's 13 years. Not exactly a ringing endorsement their, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_Under-Secretary_of_State_for_Housing
    No, but it's still a fair difference. Almost twice as long, or 75% longer, in real world maths:

Blair-Brown: mean time about 1.4 years

The current lot (and partly coalition with the LDs, too, remember, so that makes things even worse for the Tories in a sense): 0.81

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,549
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

More fundamentally, there’s a huge overlap between being “populist and right wing” and being in denial of reality and essentially incompetent. Which is a big part of why they have got nothing worthwhile done since Brexit, viewing everything through the prism of ideology.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

13 wasted years of Conservatism, in my opinion.

And each and every time we've buckled to the chattering classes, the result has been worse than if we'd have stuck to our instincts.

The only time we didn't, and ditched a leader over it - Brexit - the result was a resounding groundswell of support.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

I think that's correct. They talk right, but act left, which pleases nobody.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    HYUFD said:

Well Barclay and Braverman at least now have the bonus of not being directly responsible for defeat if Sunak's cabinet loses the next general election and they then make bids to be Leader of the Opposition
    Theres a bit of now or never for a reshaping of the right in the UK. Sunak loses big and the Tories die and a new party takes its place without the baggage.
  • Options
    Cammo becomes the first Remainer FS since Liz Truss.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Superhero film The Marvels made just $47m (£38m) in its first weekend, in the US, making it the Marvel Cinematic Universe's lowest opening. In contrast, Avengers: Endgame made box office history in 2019 by taking a record-breaking $1.2bn (£980m) in global ticket sales in its opening run.

Ouch....

Whilst I am well aware of The Marvels' AAARGH! numbers, you are not comparing like-to-like

Domestic (US&Canada) gross for first weekend
    • The Marvels: $47,000,000
    • Avengers:Endgame: $357,115,007
    At a guess, given the international numbers and a slightly better decay curve than you'd expect, it'll probably make its net budget back so they'll be able to claim a nominal success. But that ignores the cost of promotion etc so it'll probably end up losing what, 100-200million? In pre-Covid times they'd have made up the loss with another film, but still-low post-Covid attendance and superhero fatigue in general and MCU fatigue in particular makes it bad news for Marvel. Everything has been postponed to 2015 (except for Deadpool 3) while they work out what, if anything, they can do to fix this.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Avengers-Endgame-(2019)#tab=box-office
    https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Marvels-The-(2023)#tab=box-office
    That was a direct quote from BBC...
    No it wasn't! I made it up by myself! I haven't seen anything from the BBC (or associated things like Kermode and Mayo)!

I make frequent mistakes (obvs!) but I don't plagiarise and (as is obvious) I cite my sources whenever I can.

No, I meant my original post was,

The Marvels: Superhero movie bombs with lowest MCU box office debut
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67401772
    My problem with the MCU is that there's too much of it. I didn't mind going to the cinema a couple of times a year to watch a film set in the universe. I quite liked it when Agents of Shield came on the TV, and Agent Carter was cool.

But then the last series of AoS was not shown on Channel 4 (I think because they wanted it on Disney+), so I never watched it. And they produced many other series as well, and worse; the "Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special" was needed to understand some of the minor stuff that was going on in GoG3.

They want to do this to make me get Disney+. The problem for them is it just pushes me away from watching anything Marvel, including at the cinema.
    Its a huge problem across Disney, this carpet bombing of movies / shows from the IP they own. How many Star Wars shows have been made and are in the pipeline. Nobody cares now. Its not special. The quality isn't there, its all filler.

In fact the best one was Andor, and they kept that in the can for 2 years as they didn't think it fitted with the brand.

Its the opposite of the golden age of telly when HBO were making the classics.
    I can't remember who said it, but Star Wars needs a Star Trek (story of the week) type series to see what type of stories could work in that Universe.
    People are bored with superheroes, bored with Star Wars, bored with Disney live action remakes of cartoons, and bored with endless sequels and reboots. Brilliant CGI can't make up for bad plots, wooden characterisation, and left wing preaching.
    One additional point, we are so spoiled by CGI now that it isn't the spectacle it once was and if it is off at all, even in tv shows, its gets a terrible reception. In fact the best VFX work is the stuff you never even realised was VFX e.g a load of scenes in the last James Bond, never existed, but you can't tell which ones those are...in fact the one you probably think was VFX (the motorbike jump) was 100% real.
    In my view, almost everything turns on the quality of the script, and the plotting.

Any number of old films and TV shows with rudimentary special effects are still immense fun to watch. A good script will carry a film. A bad script will sink it.
    The trouble is that far too many writers now think a script must be good because of the social justice message it carries.

They live in a bubble, and no-one likes being preached at.
  • Options
    Another thing Sunak has done is ensure the hostility of the Mail and the Telegraph - either overt or covert

They are not happy

Newspapers are not as influential as they were, but a PM in as perilous a position as Sunak can’t afford to alienate ANYONE

This is a big mistake not a clever masterstroke
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

And the current shake up means more of the same.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I wasn’t even aware that the Marvels opened this weekend. Not surprised that it had bombed. The audience for this guff is mostly teenage boys and they don’t want to see a woman-led superhero film, unless the woman is foxily bad-ass.

The ill-fated Jodie Whittaker-as-Doctor moment is another example.

Killers of the Flower Moon was PACKED on Friday night, and the trailer for Ferrari looks sensational.

Nah. Jodie Whittaker was just bloody awful writing and trying to make a mark by changing practially everything about the previous 57 years of Dr Who lore.

I was really looking forward to Whittaker as the Doctor as I think she is a cracking actress. But even she could do nothing with the dross they wrote for her, which to be fair had started back in the Capaldi era.

I was really, really annoyed that they so badly messed up what should have been a seminal moment in Science Fiction TV.
    I got annoyed with the Whittaker era DW because it seemed clearly targeted at an American audience, to the point it looked like it came out of the American BBC production team. First few episodes revolved around guns and American civil rights era and a Trumpy figure - and they were all dealt with in a very American fashion; none of the themes were typical DW themes (not that it must always hold on to that kind of model). I was also hoping to like that series - I wasn't a big fan of the Capaldi era but I always liked Jodie Whittaker.
    Indeed. The idiot misogynists always talk about women and woke but it was none of that. Dr Who has been 'Woke' in their terms all the way back to Jon Pertwee in the 70s. This was just poorly written, lacked tension, pacing, coherence and that indefinable wierd Britishness that had been so key to success over the decades. There were no genuine scares because to have proper scares (a la Blink or Are you my Mummy) you have to actually care about the characters and that is all down to writing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Polling has shown that chasing the nutter vote doesn’t deliver for Sunak. Moving a few voters in the blue wall might be a better strategy.

Sunak was going to lose the election anyway. All he’s done is bring forward the inevitable Tory civil war so that the defeat might be even worse than anticipated. Genius, not

Maybe that was his intention in some honourable masochistic good-for-the-party way? I doubt it. I think this is another cretinous decision from a flailing and rubbish politician who doesn’t know what to do
    I’m happy to concede now - after two years - that I can’t read the mood now. I’m losing a bit of interest in UK politics which seems almost comically parochial and facile, without picking up a commensurate interest in US politics.

In personal view, Sunak would be well rid of all the extreme loons - and their hangers-on at GB News, the Mail, and the Telegraph - who have toileted the Conservatives since at least 2016.

There’s little evidence that extreme woke-frothing has any sustainable appeal in the real world, even if it works as short-term clickbait.

It’s quite something to claim that “woke-frothing has no sustainable appeal” when you’re living in a country which might just RE-elect DONALD TRUMP
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,623
    edited November 2023
    Deleted as Truss came after Boris.
  • Options
    Will Suella have her own version of this chap?

https://tinyurl.com/3b4uvhh8
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another thing Sunak has done is ensure the hostility of the Mail and the Telegraph - either overt or covert

They are not happy

Newspapers are not as influential as they were, but a PM in as perilous a position as Sunak can’t afford to alienate ANYONE

Keeping her was a mistake as well though and would have caused different crises. The Tory party continually put their leaders in zugzwang.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Sean_F said:

MattW said:

Post Office Scandal.

There's a new series of 6 programmes Mon-Fri lunchtime and Fri evening updating this on Radio 4 by Nick Wallis.

First one is on now.

Although @Cyclefree has suggested the Judge suspend the inquiry, so that prosecutions might follow, I do want to see Paula Venells facing the music. No doubt "lessons have been learned", and "I think I'm the real victim here", will feature in her evidence.
    Listening to the first one, which is Episode 13, it seems to be classic project mismanagement / politics (client kept at arms' length so inadequate quality supervision) followed by 'Fijitsu is an important investor to the UK so we'd better accept it' pandering to the supplier at the very highest political level.

I can't call Paula Vennells' reaction - we'll have to see.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,513
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

No, but it's still a fair difference. Almost twice as long, or 75% longer, in real world maths:

Blair-Brown: mean time about 1.4 years

The current lot (and partly coalition with the LDs, too, remember, so that makes things even worse for the Tories in a sense): 0.81

Today's new appointment will be the seventh in the last 22 months. Before that there were several who lasted two years on both sides.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

The consensus from the various journalists etc being interviewed on R5 and TWAO was that this was a clever or canny move by Sunak. Not something heard, well, ever actually. Almost no dissenting voices.

At the risk of doxing myself as the true Spartacus even the fact that the BBC seems to like it doesn't persuade me that it is a bad idea.

Braverman was a deeply unpleasant menace who has been damaging the government almost from the day she was reappointed. Cleverly may keep similar policies but will very definitely not have the same tone as her. The government will start to sound more like a government and less like a Trump rally.

Cameron is more skilled as a politician than literally anyone in the existing cabinet (admittedly an extremely low bar). I hope he can help create a more coherent voice that has some idea of why it is there.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Superhero film The Marvels made just $47m (£38m) in its first weekend, in the US, making it the Marvel Cinematic Universe's lowest opening. In contrast, Avengers: Endgame made box office history in 2019 by taking a record-breaking $1.2bn (£980m) in global ticket sales in its opening run.

Ouch....

Whilst I am well aware of The Marvels' AAARGH! numbers, you are not comparing like-to-like

At a guess, given the international numbers and a slightly better decay curve than you'd expect, it'll probably make its net budget back so they'll be able to claim a nominal success. But that ignores the cost of promotion etc so it'll probably end up losing what, 100-200million? In pre-Covid times they'd have made up the loss with another film, but still-low post-Covid attendance and superhero fatigue in general and MCU fatigue in particular makes it bad news for Marvel. Everything has been postponed to 2015 (except for Deadpool 3) while they work out what, if anything, they can do to fix this.

No it wasn't! I made it up by myself! I haven't seen anything from the BBC (or associated things like Kermode and Mayo)!

I make frequent mistakes (obvs!) but I don't plagiarise and (as is obvious) I cite my sources whenever I can.

My problem with the MCU is that there's too much of it. I didn't mind going to the cinema a couple of times a year to watch a film set in the universe. I quite liked it when Agents of Shield came on the TV, and Agent Carter was cool.

But then the last series of AoS was not shown on Channel 4 (I think because they wanted it on Disney+), so I never watched it. And they produced many other series as well, and worse; the "Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special" was needed to understand some of the minor stuff that was going on in GoG3.

They want to do this to make me get Disney+. The problem for them is it just pushes me away from watching anything Marvel, including at the cinema.
    Its a huge problem across Disney, this carpet bombing of movies / shows from the IP they own. How many Star Wars shows have been made and are in the pipeline. Nobody cares now. Its not special. The quality isn't there, its all filler.

In fact the best one was Andor, and they kept that in the can for 2 years as they didn't think it fitted with the brand.

I can't remember who said it, but Star Wars needs a Star Trek (story of the week) type series to see what type of stories could work in that Universe.
    People are bored with superheroes, bored with Star Wars, bored with Disney live action remakes of cartoons, and bored with endless sequels and reboots. Brilliant CGI can't make up for bad plots, wooden characterisation, and left wing preaching.
    One additional point, we are so spoiled by CGI now that it isn't the spectacle it once was and if it is off at all, even in tv shows, its gets a terrible reception. In fact the best VFX work is the stuff you never even realised was VFX e.g a load of scenes in the last James Bond, never existed, but you can't tell which ones those are...in fact the one you probably think was VFX (the motorbike jump) was 100% real.
    In my view, almost everything turns on the quality of the script, and the plotting.

Any number of old films and TV shows with rudimentary special effects are still immense fun to watch. A good script will carry a film. A bad script will sink it.
    The trouble is that far too many writers now think a script must be good because of the social justice message it carries.

Some people do like being preached at, to be fair. I mean, church attendance is certainly down, but it's not been a totally unsuccessful formula over the past couple of millennia.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617

Leon said:

They are not happy

Keeping her was a mistake as well though and would have caused different crises. The Tory party continually put their leaders in zugzwang.
    Keeping her was quite sensible imo, though must have been annoying for her, when she was doing everything possible to be sacked bar throwing a bottle of piss at him during his conference speech.

Your move now Suella...
  • Options

Leon said:

They are not happy

Keeping her was quite sensible imo, though must have been annoying for her, when she was doing everything possible to be sacked bar throwing a bottle of piss at him during his conference speech.

Your move now Suella...
    ...duck, Rishi.
  • Options

148grss said:

I wasn’t even aware that the Marvels opened this weekend. Not surprised that it had bombed. The audience for this guff is mostly teenage boys and they don’t want to see a woman-led superhero film, unless the woman is foxily bad-ass.

Killers of the Flower Moon was PACKED on Friday night, and the trailer for Ferrari looks sensational.

Nah. Jodie Whittaker was just bloody awful writing and trying to make a mark by changing practially everything about the previous 57 years of Dr Who lore.

I was really looking forward to Whittaker as the Doctor as I think she is a cracking actress. But even she could do nothing with the dross they wrote for her, which to be fair had started back in the Capaldi era.

I was really, really annoyed that they so badly messed up what should have been a seminal moment in Science Fiction TV.
    I got annoyed with the Whittaker era DW because it seemed clearly targeted at an American audience, to the point it looked like it came out of the American BBC production team. First few episodes revolved around guns and American civil rights era and a Trumpy figure - and they were all dealt with in a very American fashion; none of the themes were typical DW themes (not that it must always hold on to that kind of model). I was also hoping to like that series - I wasn't a big fan of the Capaldi era but I always liked Jodie Whittaker.
    Indeed. The idiot misogynists always talk about women and woke but it was none of that. Dr Who has been 'Woke' in their terms all the way back to Jon Pertwee in the 70s. This was just poorly written, lacked tension, pacing, coherence and that indefinable wierd Britishness that had been so key to success over the decades. There were no genuine scares because to have proper scares (a la Blink or Are you my Mummy) you have to actually care about the characters and that is all down to writing.
    Poor writing, and the whole bloody Scooby gang because not even the producers believed in a lady doctor. But also Whittaker gabbled the dialogue so my foreign Whovian friends who'd loved JW in Broadchurch, could not understand a bloody word.
  • Options

Leon said:

They are not happy

Your move now Suella...
    She will now become a footnote, coming fourth or fifth in the race to become LOTO.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Theres a bit of now or never for a reshaping of the right in the UK. Sunak loses big and the Tories die and a new party takes its place without the baggage.
    Would need Reform to be over 20% for that though, not the 5-10% they are now on.

I see Barclay stays in Cabinet after all as new Environment Secretary, replacing Coffey.

As a mid ranked Cabinet Minister now could be a contender for next leader if the Tories lose power, the next William Hague or Ed Miliband?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    IanB2 said:

Surely it’s time Grant Shapps got a new job; he must be getting stale by now at defence?

He’s been replaced by Michael Green.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

It’s quite something to claim that “woke-frothing has no sustainable appeal” when you’re living in a country which might just RE-elect DONALD TRUMP
    The US and the UK are quite different.
    That’s one piece of wisdom I can give you for free.
  • Options

Deleted as Truss came after Boris.

Mind bleach.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Question is- what does that look like?

Up to May, the Conservative tent managed to just about accommodate the metropolitan rich and the provincial grafter. It wasn't always comfortable, but basically as long as you weren't a Socialist you were OK.

That ability to meld different types of politics into one machine is one of the reasons the party has been so damn successful at winning.

Can any post-Conservative Party pull off the same feat? If not, tricky times like ahead.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

More fundamentally, there’s a huge overlap between being “populist and right wing” and being in denial of reality and essentially incompetent. Which is a big part of why they have got nothing worthwhile done since Brexit, viewing everything through the prism of ideology.
    Well perhaps, but I was thinking more of more traditional right wing concerns. I mean, if you were right-inclined, you might value any one or several of:

Low tax/low spend
    Low immigration
    Spending on the armed forces
    Security of production of things like energy, steel, etc.
    Owner occupation

None of which appear to be being pushed in a right-wing direction. And that’s before you get to cultural issues – which to put it mildly have not really moved in a conservative direction during the years the Conservatives have been in power.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@oflynnsocial

I think there is going to be a concerted attempt by significant numbers of Tory MPs to get Rishi Sunak out straight after Christmas and then bounce into a general election as early as April under a new Tory PM.

Why wait until Christmas? get him out now, get Braverman in before she defects to Reclaim
    Trying to beat Liz Truss's record?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Well perhaps, but I was thinking more of more traditional right wing concerns. I mean, if you were right-inclined, you might value any one or several of:

Low tax/low spend
    Low immigration
    Owner occupation

None of which appear to be being pushed in a right-wing direction. And that’s before you get to cultural issues – which to put it mildly have not really moved in a conservative direction during the years the Conservatives have been in power.
    If you have low tax/low spend/low immigration you have lots of poor and poorly looked after pensioners, who would cease being natural Tory voters.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

The consensus from the various journalists etc being interviewed on R5 and TWAO was that this was a clever or canny move by Sunak. Not something heard, well, ever actually. Almost no dissenting voices.

At the risk of doxing myself as the true Spartacus even the fact that the BBC seems to like it doesn't persuade me that it is a bad idea.

Braverman was a deeply unpleasant menace who has been damaging the government almost from the day she was reappointed. Cleverly may keep similar policies but will very definitely not have the same tone as her. The government will start to sound more like a government and less like a Trump rally.

Cameron is more skilled as a politician than literally anyone in the existing cabinet (admittedly an extremely low bar). I hope he can help create a more coherent voice that has some idea of why it is there.
    But Suella was totemic for Tories who want to see someone - anyone - fighting the Woke madness. Not because she’s great - she’s maladroit and foolish and needs to shape up - but because she seems to be the only one doing that. The only person with actual right wing beliefs who is - was - prepared to tell the guardian and the BBC to get stuffed

I’m not surprised the BBC is pleased

And add to that sacking - guaranteeing Tory infighting - the appointment of loser Cameron? You are unusual in your admiration. Polls show he’s deeply unpopular. Remainers hate him, many leavers scoff at him

So will this do anything good for the Tories? My bet is no. I don’t think it will shift the polls significantly, but what it will do is not good for Sunak: it exposes the huge rifts in Toryism right before the election

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I see we are are at the stage of the electoral cycle where people write obituaries of the Tory Party like they did Labour in 2019, 2015, and 2010, and the Tories previously in 2005, 2001, and 1997. And before that, the Labour Party in 1992.

In ten years time the Tory Party will be resurgent and Labour will look tired. Outside of very rare circumstances (e.g. the rise of organised Labour and the change to the franchise killing the old Liberals), which aren’t currently on the cards, the cycle is just that: a cycle.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033

148grss said:

Poor writing, and the whole bloody Scooby gang because not even the producers believed in a lady doctor. But also Whittaker gabbled the dialogue so my foreign Whovian friends who'd loved JW in Broadchurch, could not understand a bloody word.
    I remember flicking it on one point and just being baffled at the fact she had at least three companions.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056
    This is a sad day for all of us Braverman fans.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Post Office Scandal.

First one is on now.

Not “available”, but simply listed as upcoming for broadcast

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,057
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

But Suella was totemic for Tories who want to see someone - anyone - fighting the Woke madness. Not because she’s great - she’s maladroit and foolish and needs to shape up - but because she seems to be the only one doing that. The only person with actual right wing beliefs who is - was - prepared to tell the guardian and the BBC to get stuffed

And add to that sacking - guaranteeing Tory infighting - the appointment of loser Cameron? You are unusual in your admiration. Polls show he’s deeply unpopular. Remainers hate him, many leavers scoff at him

So will this do anything good for the Tories? My bet is no. I don’t think it will shift the polls significantly, but what it will do is not good for Sunak: it exposes the huge rifts in Toryism right before the election

only if the right wing of the tory party get an audience..
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

The US and the UK are quite different.
    That’s one piece of wisdom I can give you for free.
    Depends which parts, New England and most of the North East and much of the West coast of the US are probably closer culturally to the UK than the Deep South and Bible Belt
  • Options

I've been thinking about this a little. I like Cameron, and rate his skills. He's a good man, and competent - though flawed, as we all are. I'm glad to see him back.

And it's changed my chances of voting Conservative. From 0% to 0.000001%. The problem is that the party as a whole lacks ideas and a sense of purpose, and many of its MPs are tired and lacklustre. They are in need of a time out of power.

Now, a good leader, such as Major was, could change that slightly - delaying the inevitable. Perhaps Cameron could. But he's not leader, and his role as FS will not allow it.

I still want a GE ASAP. But this afternoon I'm a little happier that this government won't make things incredibly worse whilst we wait. They have another adult in the room.

In terms of government, it's sensible. Suella has gone, just rejoice at that news. Having someone like Dave at the top table... Also good news.

But Dave himself? He's not an MP, which counts against him, and his return highlights the poor deck Rishi has to play with

And if I were a mid-rank Cabinet minister, knowing this was probably the last year of my government career, I'd be spitting feathers right now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Question is- what does that look like?

Up to May, the Conservative tent managed to just about accommodate the metropolitan rich and the provincial grafter. It wasn't always comfortable, but basically as long as you weren't a Socialist you were OK.

That ability to meld different types of politics into one machine is one of the reasons the party has been so damn successful at winning.

Can any post-Conservative Party pull off the same feat? If not, tricky times like ahead.
    that sort of depends

the standard definition of left right no longer functions. Its time for a rethink
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

only if the right wing of the tory party get an audience..
    They will absolutely get an audience - in the Sunak-loathing Mail and Telegraph for a start

And these things do still matter
  • Options

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Low tax/low spend
    Low immigration
    Owner occupation

If you have low tax/low spend/low immigration you have lots of poor and poorly looked after pensioners, who would cease being natural Tory voters.
    Well I'd kind of suggest that's the problem: there's a perfectly coherent way of governing the country in a right-ish manner - even a popullist right-ish manner. But doing so isn't necessarily to the benefit of pensioners. In the olden days, the welfare of pensioners was more a left-wing concern, and their wellbeing corresponds rather more neatly to a left-wing agenda. Which is perhaps why we have a government which talks right but governs left.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Oddly enough, as you're about the only poster who ever mentions 'woke', I assume that you suffer from 'woke madness' ? :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

I don't know if it will move the polls a lot, they have been very settled for a while. But I do think we have a better government this afternoon than we had this morning.

Can you imagine how Braverman would have responded as Home Secretary when the Supreme Court tells her not to be so absurd on Wednesday? How, having had a go at the police, she might have damaged respect for the rule of law and unilaterally have sought to commit the government to withdrawing from the ECHR? She was not fit for office. I am delighted she is gone.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,402
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

I don't think "fighting the Woke madness" is as yet a mainstream concern.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

They are not happy

Your move now Suella...
    She will now become a footnote, coming fourth or fifth in the race to become LOTO.
    She's already a footnote - she made Lewes:

With Rishi:

And is that Mark Harper?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

I don't know if it will move the polls a lot, they have been very settled for a while. But I do think we have a better government this afternoon than we had this morning.

Can you imagine how Braverman would have responded as Home Secretary when the Supreme Court tells her not to be so absurd on Wednesday? How, having had a go at the police, she might have damaged respect for the rule of law and unilaterally have sought to commit the government to withdrawing from the ECHR? She was not fit for office. I am delighted she is gone.
    I’d be quite happy for us to leave the ECHR. It certainly wouldn’t drive me mad as it would you

But then you’re a lawyer and you like laws and courts. I like my flints. And speaking of which, I need a knap

Later
  • Options
    MattW said:

Post Office Scandal.

First one is on now.

Thanks for this. It's regrettable that Nick Wallis appears to be pretty much the only journalist covering the scandal in any detail.
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,095
    edited November 2023
    Seriously, what do the Cameron jizzers think he's going to do? How is he going to erase the past thirteen years of Tory mankiness (which he bears a significant responsibility for) and bring on four more glorious years of Tory rule? The bloke messed up his prize piece and then scuttled off to spend more time with his wife's millions, what's he bring to the table now that the other three hundred and fifty elected tories are incapable of?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Spot on summary. And sounding stridently Brexity, yet doing nothing on actual repealing of EU laws to gain any real post-Brexit advantage. I'm cynical enough to feel this is deliberate - I just don't think any Government could be that stupid.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,965
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

An unelected Etonian holding one of the great offices of state, and a (near) billionaire in number 10. In the middle of a cost of living crisis.

The optics, as they say, are not good.

A Wykehamist as PM, an Etonian as Foreign Secretary and a Carthusian as Chancellor, all educated at Oxford for university (only Cleverly not major public school, only minor private school and non Oxbridge).

Looks like the highest concentration of top public/private school and Oxford alumni in the great offices of state since Macmillan's cabinet, with some new money too from Sunak's wife's family
    Yeah, the Tories can fuck off, after this. The more I think about it the angrier I get

I wasn’t gonna vote for them anyway, but now I’m not going to vote for them with real venom. Tossers
    I love it when the oiks get upset.
    And yet all the poshos who write for the snobby so-called “Spectator” magazine ALSO seem really angry
    No one cares about them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,159

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Cameron is a dickhead and a greedy dodgy one at that. Minimum qualification for cabinet is that you have been involved in some way in a financial scandal. The Tories are only interested in making cash , F**k the country
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,523
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

They talk right, but fail to do anything due to basic incompetence.

If you want to see 'talk right, but act left' keep watching Starmer :wink:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ouch....

Some people do like being preached at, to be fair. I mean, church attendance is certainly down, but it's not been a totally unsuccessful formula over the past couple of millennia.
    Even then, there's a difference between a really gripping sermon, and one that bores you rigid (I've heard both types).
  • Options
    There are some basic realities we have to accept:

Suella and her politics are very popular with some people. Many of whom are Tory members and remain Tory voters. So cutting her off will provoke a reaction from those people.
    Suella and her politics were very unpopular with the majority of voters. Sacking her will be worth a couple of percentage points of share gained from the centre more than he loses to the hard right.

Ultimately there is another round of battle for the soul of the Tory Party (which had already defeated the Conservatives). They either slide further right and create a unified place for all the hard right voters, or they lose the hard right and go battling for the centre ground.

BJO bangs the drum for the hard left, but electorally they are no threat to Labour. The hard right cost Boris Johnson a lot of seats in 2019 (his majority should have been 3 figures were it not for BXP splitting the Brexit vote). In 2024 they will cost the Tories a great deal more seats. So he is damned whatever he does.

So its a question about hard choices. Does Sunak and a chunk of the Tory party really want to run on a platform of sink the migrants and steal the tents from homeless veterans? Or are they not that kind of person?
  • Options

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Oddly enough, as you're about the only poster who ever mentions 'woke', I assume that you suffer from 'woke madness' ? :)
    An unrelated anecdote on woke (to illustrate that Leon is not the only poster who mentions it :smile: ) : at a local secondary school - which when I last visited 18 months ago was as woke as could be: 75% of the material on the walls of corridors dealt with either sexuality, gender or race (valid concerns, but surely not worthy of 75% of any school's mental effort), it turns out that some opinions are actually quite old-fashioned: when the boys' football team's bus breaks down, they simply requisition the girls' netball team's bus, and the girl's netball team doesn't play; and when the boys' sports hall is out of action, they requisition the girls' sports hall, and girls' PE is cancelled.
    I don't know if this is because actually the woke is just for show, or because girls are no longer a concern of woke.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,689
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Agree (as usual). Quite impressed with that clever move. FS is the least political job. There is often consensus on policies and Cameron will be considered a serious appointment by foreign leaders. It might lose some votes to Reform helping Labour in the red wall, but might save seats in the blue wall at a cost to the LDs. Only criticism is not being able to find someone from his own MPs

But overall a good bit of lateral thinking by Rushi. I suspect getting support from both the likes of @TheScreamingEagles and @HYUFD .
  • Options
    Assuming the Sunk Ministry limps through to the election, this fresh turn of events is a bit suboptimal for the Wet wing of the party, as they will own the resounding defeat in full. There will be no posts here the day after blaming the defeat on Suella being vile etc. - no counter-narrative, just the statist, corporatist toads buggering things up for everyone.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

It’s an important Minister of State post, visible to Number 10. You’re likely to either be seen to do well, and be promoted; or else the opposite and be replaced by the next prospect.

That tells you that the post matters, not that it doesn’t.
  • Options
    I think Sunak is essentially like Chris Patten as the Last Governor in Hong Kong after the 1995 elections.

He knows he's doomed but wants to leave with his head held high as a matter of honour, having done the right thing, and stuff the political consequences.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ouch....

There are plenty of films/books/shows that have had a strong social justice message, and are well worth watching. But, the story comes first, in each case.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    @YouGov

Britons think Rishi Sunak was right rather than wrong to sack Suella Braverman as home secretary

Right to sack her: 57% (44% of Con 2019 voters)
    Wrong to sack her: 20% (39% of Con 2019 voters)

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1724071651829043487?s=20
  • Options
    Just watched Daily Politics. Matt Goodwin really is an absolute helmet. He gets taken down proper after attempting to Goodwin the show.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

They are not happy

Your move now Suella...

With Rishi:

And is that Mark Harper?

Surprised to see the cancellation of HS2 being worthy of concern at Lewes. I agree with them, but I wouldn't have thought it high on anyone in Sussex's agenda.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Seriously, what do the Cameron jizzers think he's going to do? How is he going to erase the past thirteen years of Tory mankiness (which he bears a significant responsibility for) and bring on four more glorious years of Tory rule? The bloke messed up his prize piece and then scuttled off to spend more time with his wife's millions, what's he bring to the table now that the other three hundred and fifty elected tories are incapable of?

Baron Cameron of Brexit.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

:D
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

Britons think Rishi Sunak was right rather than wrong to sack Suella Braverman as home secretary

Don't let Leon see that. He is convinced only 3 bumpkins and a scrofulous dog called Bobby wanted Braverman sacked.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

Not sure it wasn't left rather than right. But if left is right then right is wrong, as I remember being told in my youth.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,706
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

They are not happy

Your move now Suella...

With Rishi:

And is that Mark Harper?

Surprised to see the cancellation of HS2 being worthy of concern at Lewes. I agree with them, but I wouldn't have thought it high on anyone in Sussex's agenda.
    We are all having to pay for it though
  • Options

I think Sunak is essentially like Chris Patten as the Last Governor in Hong Kong after the 1995 elections.

He knows he's doomed but wants to leave with his head held high as a matter of honour, having done the right thing, and stuff the political consequences.

Why he has spent the last few months (since Uxbridge) obsessed with creating dividing lines and setting traps for Labour (i.e. selling off the HS2 land as fast he can) then?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,697

Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

Don't let Leon see that. He is convinced only 3 bumpkins and a scrofulous dog called Bobby wanted Braverman sacked.
    A scrofulous Bully XL called Tyson, Shirley?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    dr_spyn said:

Baron Cameron of Brexit.
    Not any more. The leader of the Remain campaign has now come out for Brexit (we will soon see him talking up its opportunities). His minions will soon follow.

Edit - he was clearly a sleeper agent all along!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

The crucial point is that more Tories than not wanted her to stay.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

That 20% though could increase the ReformUK voteshare even further.

Sunak needs to ensure leakage to them is offset by some of the 57% coming back to the Tories
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,396

There are some basic realities we have to accept:

Suella and her politics are very popular with some people. Many of whom are Tory members and remain Tory voters. So cutting her off will provoke a reaction from those people.
    Suella and her politics were very unpopular with the majority of voters. Sacking her will be worth a couple of percentage points of share gained from the centre more than he loses to the hard right.

Ultimately there is another round of battle for the soul of the Tory Party (which had already defeated the Conservatives). They either slide further right and create a unified place for all the hard right voters, or they lose the hard right and go battling for the centre ground.

BJO bangs the drum for the hard left, but electorally they are no threat to Labour. The hard right cost Boris Johnson a lot of seats in 2019 (his majority should have been 3 figures were it not for BXP splitting the Brexit vote). In 2024 they will cost the Tories a great deal more seats. So he is damned whatever he does.

So its a question about hard choices. Does Sunak and a chunk of the Tory party really want to run on a platform of sink the migrants and steal the tents from homeless veterans? Or are they not that kind of person?

Talking of homeless lifestyle choosers, one has been set on fire in an underpass in Birmingham suffering life changing injuries.

Clearly such an event is not Braverman's fault, but legitimising the homeless haters really is.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Post Office Scandal.

First one is on now.

Not “available”, but simply listed as upcoming for broadcast

Yes - correct. Apologies. I thought they had done their usual available in advance to account holders thing.

Fortunately you get an episode every day !
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,165
    Re Cameron, given his involvement in the Greensill collapse, I'm not sure he should be allowed anywhere near the levers of power.

• Options

Why he has spent the last few months (since Uxbridge) obsessed with creating dividing lines and setting traps for Labour (i.e. selling off the HS2 land as fast he can) then?
    He thinks he's doing the right thing.

FWIW, Cameron didn't agree with him on HS2.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

They are not happy

Your move now Suella...

With Rishi:

And is that Mark Harper?

We are all having to pay for it though
    Oh, and I could craft a long-winded argument about why HS2 was in the interest of Sussex, not just of Manchester and London. I'm just surprised to see this opinion expressed in Sussex.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,165
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

Sure, but more 2019 Conservative voters want her to go.

Which demonstrates the problem.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,396
    Andy_JS said:

Is that an ironic post or heartfelt?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Re Cameron, given his involvement in the Greensill collapse, I'm not sure he should be allowed anywhere near the levers of power.

Careful, your fellow moderator has had to change his under pants twice and take a cold shower upon hearing the joyous news of Cameron's return.
  • Options
    Just seen that Holden Dick is new Tory chairman.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,402
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

An unrelated anecdote on woke (to illustrate that Leon is not the only poster who mentions it :smile: ) : at a local secondary school - which when I last visited 18 months ago was as woke as could be: 75% of the material on the walls of corridors dealt with either sexuality, gender or race (valid concerns, but surely not worthy of 75% of any school's mental effort), it turns out that some opinions are actually quite old-fashioned: when the boys' football team's bus breaks down, they simply requisition the girls' netball team's bus, and the girl's netball team doesn't play; and when the boys' sports hall is out of action, they requisition the girls' sports hall, and girls' PE is cancelled.
    I don't know if this is because actually the woke is just for show, or because girls are no longer a concern of woke.
    It'll take more than a few years of woke to knock over something as strong and deep-rooted as the patriarchy.
  • Options
    So if the government wins the Rwanda case on Wednesday, Cameron is going to be one of the main politicians putting it into practice? I can't see that happening.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,145
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Mortimer said:

TimS said:

Why?
    Daily Mail:

Daily Telegraph:

Agree (as usual). Quite impressed with that clever move. FS is the least political job. There is often consensus on policies and Cameron will be considered a serious appointment by foreign leaders. It might lose some votes to Reform helping Labour in the red wall, but might save seats in the blue wall at a cost to the LDs. Only criticism is not being able to find someone from his own MPs

But overall a good bit of lateral thinking by Rushi. I suspect getting support from both the likes of @TheScreamingEagles and @HYUFD .
    On the other hand, if he'd dressed up as a chicken and jumped in the river he would still have had HYUFD's support.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

Err 44% of Tories say it was right to sack her and 39% say it was wrong.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@YouGov

Assume you were taking the piss when you described yourself as a Braverman fan?
This discussion has been closed.