Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fewer than half of Tory voters want Sunak to keep Braverman as Home Secretary – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited November 2023 in General
Fewer than half of Tory voters want Sunak to keep Braverman as Home Secretary – politicalbetting.com

Do you think Rishi Sunak should keep Suella Braverman as Home Secretary or should he sack her?Should keep: 22% (Con 2019 voters: 48%)Should sack: 49% (Con 2019 voters: 31%)Don't know: 29% (Con 2019 voters: 21%)https://t.co/6LLAUBp6ck pic.twitter.com/E7xegIsJNr

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited November 2023
    1st time in today.

Where did I get my sense of timing?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Tottenham Arsenal
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited November 2023
    Or to put it another way a plurality of even 2019 Tory voters (almost half of whom are not voting Tory now but Labour, LD or Reform) want Braverman to stay as Home Secretary. Nearly a third of voters DK
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    On topic, I deliberately ignored the news yesterday.

Did Suella Braverman not call this entirely wrong, in that the Pro-Palestine Anti-Israel demo was the more peaceful of the two?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    MattW said:

Did Suella Braverman not call this entirely wrong, in that the Pro-Palestine Anti-Israel demo was the more peaceful of the two?

It depends if you're talking in absolute numbers or proportionally.
    Proportionally, more of the defend-the-cenotaph mob were up for a fight. But there were hardly any of them. In absolute numbers, there were far more violent anti-Israels than anti-anti-Israels.
  • Options
    MattW said:

There was some beastly behaviour on the part of the pro-Palestinians - they heckled Michael Gove for example - but the pro-Braverman crowd seems much more intent on bovver.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,282
    MattW said:

I think there was enough violence from the pro-Palestinian demo that those who were inclined to support Braverman can point to it as justification. So I think it's a bit of a wash.
  • Options
    Rather misleading headline @TSE and, if that was a polling company reporting in that way (which you are not), there would be some fair criticisms.

The numbers speak for themselves. The 49% of 2019 Tory voters who want to keep her is more than double the 22% who don't. If you were to split the DKs equally (and I suspect if they were forced to choose, they would go more with keeping her than sacking her but that's an assumption), then nearly two-thirds of 2019 Tory voters want to keep her.

• Options

MattW said:

There was some beastly behaviour on the part of the pro-Palestinians - they heckled Michael Gove for example - but the pro-Braverman crowd seems much more intent on bovver.
    Lots of peaceful racists on the pro-Palestine march.
  • Options

MattW said:

I think there was enough violence from the pro-Palestinian demo that those who were inclined to support Braverman can point to it as justification. So I think it's a bit of a wash.
    I see the BBC has dropped the 'counter-demonstrators' language it adopted for 24 hours and now goes with the 'right-wing' moniker. Given that most of those on the Pro-Palestinian march are likely to be non-Tory voters, can we start referring to those causing trouble at that rally as 'left-wing protestors'?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

MattW said:

Heckling Michael Gove isn’t “beastly”. I’ll admit that crowding round him in a hostile fashion isn’t civilised behaviour, though.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Proportionally, more of the defend-the-cenotaph mob were up for a fight. But there were hardly any of them. In absolute numbers, there were far more violent anti-Israels than anti-anti-Israels.
    Not to get all footbal fanny about it, but how many of the 126 arrests were from the Gaza march, and what are your irreproachable sources for 'far more violent anti-Israels' aside from a feeling in your water?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67390514

At least they had their eye on that well known, rightwing troublemaker, Leon.

'One live feed from a police helicopter was powerful enough to show a man sitting in a pub window and how much he had left in his drink.'

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,976
    @MrHarryCole

NEW: Reshuffle latest — the Whitehall comms grid for tomorrow is very, very empty.

“No 10: Redacted”

“TBC”

👀
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2023
    TSE. Uncovers the the footage they didn't want Leon to see!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    What seems to be overlooked re Wednesday and the Supreme Court is there’s still the chance this could go all the way to Strasbourg , additionally the UK courts have already put restrictions on the Rwanda policy so in effect even with a win few if any asylum seekers could end up there .

The Rwanda policy from the start has been just smoke and mirrors .
  • Options

MattW said:

I see the BBC has dropped the 'counter-demonstrators' language it adopted for 24 hours and now goes with the 'right-wing' moniker. Given that most of those on the Pro-Palestinian march are likely to be non-Tory voters, can we start referring to those causing trouble at that rally as 'left-wing protestors'?
    Might throw a spanner in the 'Hamas are Islamofascists' dictum.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Only one side was described by the Met as “extremely violent”: https://x.com/metpoliceuk/status/1723441827045421499?s=20

Those anti-semitic actions that occurred are despicable & I look forward to the perpetrators being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The black bloc types that launched fireworks at police at the end of the day will no doubt find their collars being felt in due course.

But the Met themselves do seem pretty clear about which group they had the most trouble with.
  • Options

MattW said:

Though given the current polls, there must be quite a lot of non-Conservative voters who are anything but left-wing.

Which is why the Conservatives are in so much trouble. The centrist candid friends have largely given up for now.
  • Options

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Not to get all footbal fanny about it, but how many of the 126 arrests were from the Gaza march, and what are your irreproachable sources for 'far more violent anti-Israels' aside from a feeling in your water?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67390514

At least they had their eye on that well known, rightwing troublemaker, Leon.

'One live feed from a police helicopter was powerful enough to show a man sitting in a pub window and how much he had left in his drink.'

Mmmm, slight misreading of some of the facts there.

For a start, most of the 126 were on the grounds of "to prevent a breach of the peace" i.e. it was proactive measures by the Police. If you wanted to apply the same standard - which I know you don't - the Police equally should have been arresting those with Hamas headbands, flags equating Israel with the Nazis etc but they didn't.

Which leads onto the second point. The reason the Police arrested the football thugs was because Plod felt so comfortable due to the very small number of them. The Police obviously didn't have the same 'confidence' when it came to those committing arrestable offences on the pro-Palestine march. Some of those whom they have identified may be arrested later but it is clear the Police turned a blind eye - at the time - to some of the slogans carried. Even the bBC admitted that (although hidden away in its reporting) that the Police were not apprehending people proactively.

So comparing the two sets of figures and saying they are like for like is misleading.

• Options

MattW said:

We can do both if you want. Left-wing Islamofascists. It has a ring to it.
  • Options

MattW said:

Heckling Michael Gove isn’t “beastly”. I’ll admit that crowding round him in a hostile fashion isn’t civilised behaviour, though.
    It's that old devil called Gove.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    Roger said:

"The Common Sense Group' that supports Braverman.

Is that an oxymoron?

These right wing nutjob groups often give themselves harmless sounding names . Look to the USA , the Freedom Caucus , sounds great until you see what they’re up to .
  • Options
    Is Steve Bannon advising Suella Braverman the same way that he advises Donald Trump?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669
    edited November 2023
    Looks like Sunak is keeping her in place until a convenient moment to sack her.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Only one side was described by the Met as “extremely violent”: https://x.com/metpoliceuk/status/1723441827045421499?s=20

Those anti-semitic actions that occurred are despicable & I look forward to the perpetrators being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The black bloc types that launched fireworks at police at the end of the day will no doubt find their collars being felt in due course.

But the Met themselves do seem pretty clear about which group they had the most trouble with.
    "But the Met themselves do seem pretty clear about which group they had the most trouble with"

Well, yes. If you ignore - mainly deliberately - the actions of one group, then it is very easy to say yopu only had trouble with one side.

The near victim of this and those who witnessed it may disagree. Funnily enough, no Plod in this picture.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1723410151472812306
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Looks like Sunak is keeping her in place until a convenient moment to sack her.

The convenient moment to sack her was the day he took office
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited November 2023
    MattW said:

1st time in today.

Where did I get my sense of timing?

"I say, I say, I say, what is the secret of good humour?"

"I don't know, what is the secr-" "Timing"
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Just sack her.. for goodness sake..
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

NEW: Reshuffle latest — the Whitehall comms grid for tomorrow is very, very empty.

“TBC”

👀

Called it on Thursday:

"Sunak won't sack Braverman until Monday if he has any sense; if he sacked her tomorrow and the Remembrance ceremony is disrupted she'll be telling everyone she is vindicated."
  • Options

MattW said:

We can do both if you want. Left-wing Islamofascists. It has a ring to it.
    :innocent:
    Is that Peter Thatchell? If so, good for him. He is not hiding his support for gay rights (which many on the left do) just because it is 'inconvenient'.
    He had grief yesterday:

https://twitter.com/PeterTatchell/status/1723441409410158949
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Just sack her.. for goodness sake..

Keep her. Starmer needs a break.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

"But the Met themselves do seem pretty clear about which group they had the most trouble with"

Well, yes. If you ignore - mainly deliberately - the actions of one group, then it is very easy to say yopu only had trouble with one side.

The near victim of this and those who witnessed it may disagree. Funnily enough, no Plod in this picture.

If “near victim” is the best (worst?) you can do for one side when the other lot have put officers in hospital it seems pretty clear where the balance lies between the two surely?

I hope this particular shithead gets what he deserves too.
  • Options

MattW said:

Though given the current polls, there must be quite a lot of non-Conservative voters who are anything but left-wing.

Which is why the Conservatives are in so much trouble. The centrist candid friends have largely given up for now.

MattW said:

My own view is that one thing that is being missed here on the commentary but which will be critical when it comes to how this impacts domestic politics - and elsewhere - is the time factor.

So far, I have been impressed - generally - by both Biden and Starmer on this. While in both cases, there have been obvious political considerations, they seem sincere in their views.

However, the longer this conflict goes on, dominates the headlines and the protests etc on western streets continue, the greater is going to be the political strains especially if the intensity of feeling stays the same.

I'd argue that is more of an issue for the left than the right given the latter doesn't rely so much on the pro-Palestinian vote nor the student political types who like to go on marches.

If I was Biden or Starmer I would want this to end quickly *

* Yes, everyone does but...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214
    edited November 2023
    According to the Guardian. Grant Shapps told GB News: “I’m not really keen on the idea that in retrospect, whether it’s the leader of the opposition or the Labour London mayor, that they come in and try and politicise this weekend of all weekends. It should not be about politics."

Can Suella prescribe the Labour Party as a terrorist organisation?
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

If “near victim” is the best you can do for one side when the other lot have put officers in hospital it seems pretty clear where the balance lies between the two surely?

Not a case of one side or the other. It's a case of saying if you confront one side and not the other, then - unsurprisingly - you are going to get the most trouble from the side you confront.

Both sides should have been confronted equally, in the same way and under the same principles. But if you think that allowing demonstrators to compare Israel's actions with Nazis or what is happening in Gaza with Auschwitz are not incidents where the Police should have taken action immediately, then I do not know what to say,

As for the sh1thead - and all shi1theads on all sides - they should get what they deserve. My fear is they won't. The crew from Blackburn who went through North West London shouting 'rape Jewish wives, rape their daughters' got arrested but not charged, Plod wants to be seen to be doing something but - as is too common unfortunately - will eventually let things slide when the noise dies down for fear of impacting 'community relations'.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,819
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

“TBC”

👀

THIS IS THE NEWS FOR TOMORROW
    +++dit dit dit+++dit dit dit+++dit dit dit+++dit dit dit+++
    THERE IS NO NEWS
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,270
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

If “near victim” is the best (worst?) you can do for one side when the other lot have put officers in hospital it seems pretty clear where the balance lies between the two surely?

The pro-Palestinians were shooting fireworks directly at police officers, which is worse - in terms of violence - than anything done by the football hoons

And of course the former outnumbered the latter by about 1000 to 1. Literally: 300,000 v 300
  • Options
    What is the psychology of people - including PB-ers - who seek to deny or minimise the menace of be pro-Palestinians?

I can’t work it out. Is it because you don’t want to appear racist? Surely not. Is it because - for some reason - you honestly don’t believe it? Again that’s hard to credit

So what is it? Is it some political fear of vindicating Suella Braverman? If so, that is pathetic. This is way bigger than party politics
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    Leon said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

The pro-Palestinians were shooting fireworks directly at police officers, which is worse - in terms of violence - than anything done by the football hoons

And of course the former outnumbered the latter by about 1000 to 1. Literally: 300,000 v 300
    And if the numbers were reversed? Say 100 000 counter protestors acting as they did last night.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

“TBC”

👀

THIS IS THE NEWS FOR TOMORROW
    +++dit dit dit+++dit dit dit+++dit dit dit+++dit dit dit+++
    THERE IS NO NEWS
    If only. Can we have some classic comedy to fill the airtime? Maybe a Tom and Jerry double bill.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

If “near victim” is the best you can do for one side when the other lot have put officers in hospital it seems pretty clear where the balance lies between the two surely?

Not a case of one side or the other. It's a case of saying if you confront one side and not the other, then - unsurprisingly - you are going to get the most trouble from the side you confront.

Both sides should have been confronted equally, in the same way and under the same principles. But if you think that allowing demonstrators to compare Israel's actions with Nazis or what is happening in Gaza with Auschwitz are not incidents where the Police should have taken action immediately, then I do not know what to say,

As for the sh1thead - and all shi1theads on all sides - they should get what they deserve. My fear is they won't. The crew from Blackburn who went through North West London shouting 'rape Jewish wives, rape their daughters' got arrested but not charged, Plod wants to be seen to be doing something but - as is too common unfortunately - will eventually let things slide when the noise dies down for fear of impacting 'community relations'.
    Once again, the wildly out of touch nature of the PB readership shows itself.

The police don’t usually arrest people at a demo unless they believe they have absolutely no choice: It’s an enormous pain, takes away precious officers handling the arrest who could be managing the demo & keeping everyone else safe & put individual officers at risk. Plus it risks aggravating the crowd & making things worse.

What actually happens is records are kept, photos are taken, witnesses are noted & people get arrested after the fact if they’ve made arrestable actions that weren’t deemed worth arresting them for at the time. See, by way of evidence for this policy, the list of “do you know this person?” images on the Met twitter feed right now, mostly pro-palestinian marchers of one kind or another. I imagine they’ll get what’s coming to them.

The primary concern of the police at an event like this is /keeping the peace/. Arresting everyone who commits a crime on the day itself doesn’t even enter into the calculation: It would be a spectacularly stupid approach to policing a large demo.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

“TBC”

👀

Apart from Suella, who else is at risk? Hunt can't be moved and presumably Cleverly is secure.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

“TBC”

👀

Apart from Suella, who else is at risk? Hunt can't be moved and presumably Cleverly is secure.
    Remember the story from 2 weeks ago that Hunt is retiring at the next election - timing this reshuffle is rather awkward..
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,645

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

“TBC”

👀

There might be one or two junior ministers who’ve not impressed him I suppose. And one or two others he’d like to promote. We shall see.

Is Hunt immovable, that’s the question. Given the proximity of the autumn statement I assume so.
  • Options
    Maybe Richi will sack Cruella as Home Secretary, and make her Chancellor instead
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

MattW said:

It's that old devil called Gove.
    "It was a pre-emptive strike, officer. We were in genuine fear of our lives..."

"Huh?"

"Gove will tear us apart...."
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    It is claimed that if Braverman is sacked then her supporters will resign. Who are her supporters? Jacob R-M, Edward Leigh and some woman called Cates. They will none of them be missed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

“TBC”

👀

Remember the story from 2 weeks ago that Hunt is retiring at the next election - timing this reshuffle is rather awkward..
    Dumping Hunt a week before the autumn statement would be an interesting move. A few days afterwards would be fine, with him seeming to not be standing again.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

The police don’t usually arrest people at a demo unless they believe they have absolutely no choice: It’s an enormous pain, takes away precious officers handling the arrest who could be managing the demo & keeping everyone else safe & put individual officers at risk. Plus it risks aggravating the crowd & making things worse.

What actually happens is records are kept, photos are taken, witnesses are noted & people get arrested after the fact if they’ve made arrestable actions that weren’t deemed worth arresting them for at the time. See, by way of evidence for this policy, the list of “do you know this person?” images on the Met twitter feed right now, mostly pro-palestinian marchers of one kind or another. I imagine they’ll get what’s coming to them.

The primary concern of the police at an event like this is /keeping the peace/. Arresting everyone who commits a crime on the day itself doesn’t even enter into the calculation: It would be a spectacularly stupid approach to policing a large demo.
    Indeed Extinction Rebellion etc want to be arrested at the demo, as this takes the police out of action with them and they can swamp the remainder, plus they reckon on extra publicity from the court cases. Hence the police counter policy of "kettling".

I did some demonstration training with CAAT a few years back, so probably a little out of date now.
  • Options
    @KevinASchofield

Not the actions of someone expecting to lose their job in the next few days.

https://x.com/KevinASchofield/status/1723731454721421656?s=20
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

What is the psychology of people - including PB-ers - who seek to deny or minimise the menace of be pro-Palestinians?

I can’t work it out. Is it because you don’t want to appear racist? Surely not. Is it because - for some reason - you honestly don’t believe it? Again that’s hard to credit

So what is it? Is it some political fear of vindicating Suella Braverman? If so, that is pathetic. This is way bigger than party politics

What is the psychology of people who seek to magnify and exaggerate the "menace" of the pro-Palestinians?

I can’t work it out. Is it because you are a racist Islamophobe? Surely not. Is it because - for some reason - you honestly believe it? Again that’s hard to credit that you regard people who are asking for a ceasefire to protect innocent civilians including thousands of children as a menace.

It's really hard to understand. I'm genuinely puzzled.
    That's not what *some*, not all but some, are doing though is it? They're using the rallying point of calling for a ceasefire to share much more sinister and dangerous views. Shouting 'khaybar khaybar ya yahud' isn't asking for a ceasefire. Or 'From the river to the sea' (even on its milder interpretations). Nor is turning up with banners equating Zionism with a disease or Nazism. Or ranting and raving about 'Zionist conspiracies'.

Would that it were just "people who are asking for a ceasefire to protect innocent civilians including thousands of children" but that's quite blatantly not the agenda of some. This is what people are complaining about and rightly say is menacing. Those who don't see it's a problem are in denial and will damage their own cause by letting things go that taint any movement that's supposedly about 'peace'.
  • Options
    So, a while back as one of Suella Braverman's constituents, I went to a public meeting about Brexit. As I've mentioned here in an earlier post, she talked about 'cultural marxism'. Now in Fareham we don't 'talk of little else' and I suspect most people including me didn't have a clue what she was on about.
    Here's James O'Brien enlightening us. It's an anti Jewish conspiracy theory apparently, what a surprise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JdFw-EU2GM
  • Options
    I didn’t think it was possible for this once-successful party to present us with someone more chaotic than Liz Truss, less subtle than Dorries. But it turns out Braverman is what you get if you dig down past all the ninth-rate Etonians, the Nadines, the tractor porn-ers and secret rapist MPs: a home secretary without a single redeeming feature, who is, despicably, using this serious clash on our streets as a showcase for herself.

I don’t even agree with the marches: I think they are frightening and antisemitic and wrong. Marauding the families of war dead is beneath contempt: it reminds me of the protest planned by Anjem Choudary, a terrorist, in 2010. He wanted to march 500 fake coffins through Wootton Bassett to mock fallen British soldiers. It is obvious Jewish people need protecting. But why is it this artless, self-promoting mediocrity who has to do it? Haven’t they suffered enough?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/these-marches-should-have-been-a-dream-for-the-tories-then-braverman-stepped-up-gcz9hzwfw
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

The police don’t usually arrest people at a demo unless they believe they have absolutely no choice: It’s an enormous pain, takes away precious officers handling the arrest who could be managing the demo & keeping everyone else safe & put individual officers at risk. Plus it risks aggravating the crowd & making things wo
    rse.

"Once again, the wildly out of touch nature of the PB readership shows itself" - I see self-awareness is in full flow on pb.com today. The ultimate irony of the statement would be so classic if the topic was not so serious.

"The police don’t usually arrest people at a demo unless they believe they have absolutely no choice: It’s an enormous pain, takes away precious officers handling the arrest who could be managing the demo & keeping everyone else safe & put individual officers at risk. Plus it risks aggravating the crowd & making things worse." - no, the Police will not arrest at the time if they think it causes too much aggro but will quite happily arrest if they think the consequences are manageable. WHich is why the Police arrested the Yobs because ir was manageable to do so.

It is clear the Police handled the two demonstrations in different ways - they arrested the yobs (which is right) but let protestors with hateful symbols have them on full display without any attempt to even chide them or ask them to take them down, Hence, together with the polling out today, why it now looks like Bravermann is safe.

Who is a particular idiot is Matt Twist who is now going back to "community relations' being damaged. I thought we got rid of that garbage when it was realised the Police were using it not to arrest grooming gangs at the height of their actions. Obviously not. Also what is quite noticeable is the Met doesn't seem to be getting a huge amount of support from other Police forces - make of that what you will.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

What is the psychology of people who seek to magnify and exaggerate the "menace" of the pro-Palestinians?

I can’t work it out. Is it because you are a racist Islamophobe? Surely not. Is it because - for some reason - you honestly believe it? Again that’s hard to credit that you regard people who are asking for a ceasefire to protect innocent civilians including thousands of children as a menace.

You can’t answer, can you?

There is of course a fourth alternative. You are anti Semitic. And that is possibly the solution, because you simply can’t admit that. Hence the lack of an answer

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

@KevinASchofield

Not the actions of someone expecting to lose their job in the next few days.

https://x.com/KevinASchofield/status/1723731454721421656?s=20

She’s not even both sidesing it. Either she definitely has a political plan here to cause as much of a stink as possible, or she’s actually really cross and has forgotten who’s in charge.
  • Options
    Ha!

@PolitlcsUK
    🚨 NEW: Suella Braverman is considering resigning on Wednesday if the Supreme Court deems the Rwanda policy unlawful so she can escape the backlash

No 10 has a "low expectation of success" - Home Office drawing up contingencies

Richi needs to sack her tomorrow
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Scott_xP said:

Ha!

@PolitlcsUK
    🚨 NEW: Suella Braverman is considering resigning on Wednesday if the Supreme Court deems the Rwanda policy unlawful so she can escape the backlash

Surely a donkey punch from the SC is better for the tories because it gives them somebody else to blame for the failure of the Kigali Express.
  • Options

Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

The police don’t usually arrest people at a demo unless they believe they have absolutely no choice: It’s an enormous pain, takes away precious officers handling the arrest who could be managing the demo & keeping everyone else safe & put individual officers at risk. Plus it risks aggravating the crowd & making things wo
    rse.

"Once again, the wildly out of touch nature of the PB readership shows itself" - I see self-awareness is in full flow on pb.com today. The ultimate irony of the statement would be so classic if the topic was not so serious.

"The police don’t usually arrest people at a demo unless they believe they have absolutely no choice: It’s an enormous pain, takes away precious officers handling the arrest who could be managing the demo & keeping everyone else safe & put individual officers at risk. Plus it risks aggravating the crowd & making things worse." - no, the Police will not arrest at the time if they think it causes too much aggro but will quite happily arrest if they think the consequences are manageable. WHich is why the Police arrested the Yobs because ir was manageable to do so.

It is clear the Police handled the two demonstrations in different ways - they arrested the yobs (which is right) but let protestors with hateful symbols have them on full display without any attempt to even chide them or ask them to take them down, Hence, together with the polling out today, why it now looks like Bravermann is safe.

Who is a particular idiot is Matt Twist who is now going back to "community relations' being damaged. I thought we got rid of that garbage when it was realised the Police were using it not to arrest grooming gangs at the height of their actions. Obviously not. Also what is quite noticeable is the Met doesn't seem to be getting a huge amount of support from other Police forces - make of that what you will.
    The difference was the physical violence of the right wing yobs, sufficient that it couldn't be ignored. Not least physical attacks on the police at the Cenotaph.

Offensive signs and chants can be dealt with later, without tying up police resources on the day.

Just operational efficiency.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    MJW said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

That's not what *some*, not all but some, are doing though is it? They're using the rallying point of calling for a ceasefire to share much more sinister and dangerous views. Shouting 'khaybar khaybar ya yahud' isn't asking for a ceasefire. Or 'From the river to the sea' (even on its milder interpretations). Nor is turning up with banners equating Zionism with a disease or Nazism. Or ranting and raving about 'Zionist conspiracies'.

Would that it were just "people who are asking for a ceasefire to protect innocent civilians including thousands of children" but that's quite blatantly not the agenda of some. This is what people are complaining about and rightly say is menacing. Those who don't see it's a problem are in denial and will damage their own cause by letting things go that taint any movement that's supposedly about 'peace'.
    It's a tiny minority who displayed much more sinister and dangerous views. We've seen the photos and videos and the police requests for info. Maybe a 100 out of 300,000. Maybe a 1000. But a tiny minority that the stewards unfortunately were not able to identify or control. The stewards had a hell of a job on their hands.

The vast majority were upset for the innocents who are dying in their thousands and just want a ceasefire.

Personally I would like to see a ceasing of the bombing and more focus on destroying the tunnels and the pumps and fans that maintain them - not a total ceasefire that Hamas would disregard anyway. It means taking a risk with the hostages but that is war.

• Options
    Chester90 said:

Leon said:

dude, as just a casual but frequent follower of this forum, i come on here to get views on *shock*... POLITICAL BETTING. every single thread is hijacked by you trying to create division. if you're so angry about pro palestinian marches, go and join tommy robinson or whatever his name and march against it, or go and spread your bile on breitbart or guido or whatever echo chamber cares about your ramblings, rather than attacking, in my opinion, incredibly balanced members of what is a fruitful place to discuss politics generally. you're hijacking a useful and thoughtful forum of discussion because you clearly have some unresolved issues and (i can only assume) dont have a real life friendship group to debate with.

the funniest thing if im not even pro palestinian. i abhor the escalatory marches in the wake of an appalling terrorist attack and wish they weren't happening because it WILL increase antisemtism in our beautiful city. the irony is that you cant see your ridiculous/fake hyperbole will also lead to even more hate crimes to the 'other side' ... ie peace loving muslims and 'woke lefties'. good on you bro

a few days ago didnt you say 'im bored of israel-gaza now?' absolutely appalling.
    god forbid you werent around in 1942 when they started publishing articles on the holocaust.
    luckily you would have had no influence then either
    “Dude” the entire thread is about the Gaza/israel confrontation - from the header down

So I’ve “hijacked” a thread about the Gaza/israel confrontation by… discussing the Gaza/israel confrontation?

Other than that, good point
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

So, a while back as one of Suella Braverman's constituents, I went to a public meeting about Brexit. As I've mentioned here in an earlier post, she talked about 'cultural marxism'. Now in Fareham we don't 'talk of little else' and I suspect most people including me didn't have a clue what she was on about.
    Here's James O'Brien enlightening us. It's an anti Jewish conspiracy theory apparently, what a surprise.

It will be a phrase she picked up from her right wing US friends, probably.
    Whether or not she's fully aware of its baggage is an interesting question.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    So to stand up for for Braverman:

The hooligans would have turned up at the Cenotaph anyway. It's laughable that they were there in response to what she said. Everyone knew it from the moment the protesters said they would be marching on Armistice day that **** and some thugs itching for a fight would be there.

She has drawn attention to the Jew hatred that other politicians have been afraid to discuss for fear of inflaming tensions. Take a perfectly moderate Jew like Stephen Pollard who's reaction to her Times column was 'At last.' Will she be replaced by someone who'll be as prepared to call out antisemitism?

That said she shows no sign of thinking about the impact her words have, seems far more keen on headlines than substance and is in her element among Tory grassroots not as a government minister.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

rse.

The difference was the physical violence of the right wing yobs, sufficient that it couldn't be ignored. Not least physical attacks on the police at the Cenotaph.

Offensive signs and chants can be dealt with later, without tying up police resources on the day.

Just operational efficiency.
    You’re both right

Having now witnessed it in action, the police found it easier to address the football hooligans because they were such a tiny number. However the police also showed prudence there - they didn’t overdo the arrests (even when one was justified) when it was obvious that doing nothing would keep things calmer

I came away with increased respect for the Plod, as I have said
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    eristdoof said:

MJW said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Wanting that ordinary people in Israel and Palestine have disease free water, food and shelter is not the same as "ranting and raving about Zionism". Beacause some people shout unacceptable slogans etc. etc. does not mean that everyone who has shows some pro-palestinian sympathies is a raving anti-semite. I read many many comments on this forum which suggest that the two are the same thing.
    "Wanting that ordinary people in Israel and Palestine have disease free water, food and shelter" one would hope everyone wants this. And there are of course many on those marches who want a peaceful two state solution. However, denying there's a significant element who are fuelled by hatred of Israel, and yes, Jews (obviously not the same thing but feed each other), including some of the organisers and loudest voices, doesn't help anyone - least of all those who march alongside them hoping for peace, but instead have to accept bigotry as just a part of their movement.

It's notable that Peter Tatchell turned up with a placard denouncing Israel and Hamas. You'd have thought that would be the perfect message for peace. After all, any peace worth the name won't happen until the latter is gone, and the former change their policies. But he was removed by the misnomered 'Stop the War Coalition' - one of the big organisers because it would 'cause trouble'.

No one's saying it's everyone. But there is a rotten element to this movement that needs excising, because they are out to spread fear and hatred. It was true long before October 7th - but is much more urgent now given its impact. They should be treated in the same way as thugs and racists on the right and told to do one.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It will be a phrase she picked up from her right wing US friends, probably.
    Whether or not she's fully aware of its baggage is an interesting question.
    Pretty much all "conspiracy theories" are anti-semitic in origin, not that this cognitive dissonance stops believers accusing everyone else of anti-semitism.
  • Options
    Chester90 said:

Leon said:

dude, as just a casual but frequent follower of this forum, i come on here to get views on *shock*... POLITICAL BETTING. every single thread is hijacked by you trying to create division. if you're so angry about pro palestinian marches, go and join tommy robinson or whatever his name and march against it, or go and spread your bile on breitbart or guido or whatever echo chamber cares about your ramblings, rather than attacking, in my opinion, incredibly balanced members of what is a fruitful place to discuss politics generally. you're hijacking a useful and thoughtful forum of discussion because you clearly have some unresolved issues and (i can only assume) dont have a real life friendship group to debate with.

the funniest thing if im not even pro palestinian. i abhor the escalatory marches in the wake of an appalling terrorist attack and wish they weren't happening because it WILL increase antisemtism in our beautiful city. the irony is that you cant see your ridiculous/fake hyperbole will also lead to even more hate crimes to the 'other side' ... ie peace loving muslims and 'woke lefties'. good on you bro

a few days ago didnt you say 'im bored of israel-gaza now?' absolutely appalling.
    god forbid you werent around in 1942 when they started publishing articles on the holocaust.
    Do you have to be a lefty to use the word dude?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    FPT: Sandpit asked: "Does the NY Times think that, if they keep writing op-ed pieces about how a vote for Trump will be the end of the world, it’s actually going to persuade anyone not to vote for him?"

Half jokingly, I have suggested that, if the NYT wants to defeat Trump, they should endorse him. That newspaper, and the US "mainstream" media generally, are so distrusted by much of the public that their attacks often help him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

“Dude” the entire thread is about the Gaza/israel confrontation - from the header down

So I’ve “hijacked” a thread about the Gaza/israel confrontation by… discussing the Gaza/israel confrontation?

who knew, its actually semantics which is the last refuge of the scoundrel....
  • Options
  • Options
    NEW: Rishi Sunak asked a load of long-time Tory MPs to delay plans to quit at the election until January to avoid the “stench of death” surrounding the Tories from overshadowing the King’s Speech

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1723674479400759330?t=vE-FO1ik7_T1tsN2D7jeWw&s=19

Can Sunak regain any authority in his party?

Sack Braverman and he risks a damaging split with the blue bluekipper entryists, back her and he looks like a puppet. He has lost control of events entirely and things only get worse from here.
  • Options
    Chester90 said:

Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

But you literally complained that I “hijacked” a thread about the Gaza/israel confrontation by… discussing the Gaza/israel confrontation

However this is only your sixth comment. So perhaps you will improve - or never be heard from again
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Still a year to go, but no sign whatsoever of Sunak being able to turn things around.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    And Lib Dems only 13 seats, which seems a bit off. The MRP is based on much better national vote share for the Tories than most other polling.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

@Leon uses it a lot :lol:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

not sure if that was an attempt to be funny... and aren't lefties supposed to avoid such gendered terms?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    One more heave...
  • Options
    @REWearmouth
    That Suella Braverman is making a statement after such a long pause would rather suggest that, at least for now, the Home Secretary is keeping her job

@jessphillips
    The Prime Minister is happy to pick sloganeering and electioneering over the safety and security of the UK. The man is a spineless and pathetic. The nation cannot wait to get rid.
  • Options
    Braverman isn't going anywhere.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:
    And Lib Dems only 13 seats, which seems a bit off. The MRP is based on much better national vote share for the Tories than most other polling.
    Apparently it shows the Tories only holding 2 seats in London, with 1 of them being Finchley, which seems unlikely. Orpington, Upminster and Romford are far safer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

But you literally complained that I “hijacked” a thread about the Gaza/israel confrontation by… discussing the Gaza/israel confrontation

However this is only your sixth comment. So perhaps you will improve - or never be heard from again
    read what i said. and again. then maybe again. and then a fourth time for all the long words. i said you you hijack threads to CREATE DIVISION. we can discuss the merits of having suella braverman as home secretary, and we can discuss the merits of protest and counter protests, without unnecessary hyperbole and bile thrown around about not only political opponents but even reasonable and balanced members of this forum.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chester90 said:

Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

read what i said. and again. then maybe again. and then a fourth time for all the long words. i said you you hijack threads to CREATE DIVISION. we can discuss the merits of having suella braverman as home secretary, and we can discuss the merits of protest and counter protests, without unnecessary hyperbole and bile thrown around about not only political opponents but even reasonable and balanced members of this forum.
    You appear abruptly at the weekend. You have an odd punctuation style. You have a bizarre fixation on me

You’re a Russian bot with a new technique. Calling it

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    MJW said:

eristdoof said:

MJW said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Wanting that ordinary people in Israel and Palestine have disease free water, food and shelter is not the same as "ranting and raving about Zionism". Beacause some people shout unacceptable slogans etc. etc. does not mean that everyone who has shows some pro-palestinian sympathies is a raving anti-semite. I read many many comments on this forum which suggest that the two are the same thing.
    "Wanting that ordinary people in Israel and Palestine have disease free water, food and shelter" one would hope everyone wants this. And there are of course many on those marches who want a peaceful two state solution. However, denying there's a significant element who are fuelled by hatred of Israel, and yes, Jews (obviously not the same thing but feed each other), including some of the organisers and loudest voices, doesn't help anyone - least of all those who march alongside them hoping for peace, but instead have to accept bigotry as just a part of their movement.
    And you think there aren't people on the opposite side fuelled by virulent hatred of Muslims?
  • Options
    Chester90 said:

Andy_JS said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

not sure if that was an attempt to be funny... and aren't lefties supposed to avoid such gendered terms?
    Et voila. Bot
  • Options

Braverman isn't going anywhere.

Why are people so sure? Is the 'statement' the remarks she has put on twitter? Do people think she wouldn't be doing this unless she knew she was safe?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:
    Apparently it shows the Tories only holding 2 seats in London, with 1 of them being Finchley, which seems unlikely. Orpington, Upminster and Romford are far safer.
    Finchley skewed by the strong showing for Luciana Berger last time?

Some of the other results look unlikely; Labour gain Winchester looks pretty implausible. I guess one of the problems at the moment is that there's no way for an MRP to take account of the "how many bajillion Focus leaflets are going through letterboxes" factor.

Fun fact: the poll was carried out by Survation on behalf of the UK Spirits Alliance. Basically it shows the Conservatives don't have a ghost of a chance.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ha!

@PolitlcsUK

What does a girl need to do to get sacked around here?

Braverman is so transparently trying to get returned to the backbenches so she can campaign for the post-election leadership contest, that I'd not be surprised if she turns up roaring drunk to the Home Office on Monday morning, punches a security guard, and takes a dump on the Permanent Secretary's desk. Even then, Sunak will probably claim that, whilst he'd have phrased it differently, she was making a broadly valid point. You read it here first.
  • Options
    So looks like Rishi has bottled the Suella thing. For him that's a shame, as it was a golden opportunity to position himself as a man of moderation and strength. The question now is where does she go from here. What next is in her sights?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Andy_JS said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

Et voila. Bot
    He's been around for five years

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Ha!

@PolitlcsUK

What does a girl need to do to get sacked around here?

Braverman is so transparently trying to get returned to the backbenches so she can campaign for the post-election leadership contest, that I'd not be surprised if she turns up roaring drunk to the Home Office on Monday morning, punches a security guard, and takes a dump on the Permanent Secretary's desk. Even then, Sunak will probably claim that, whilst he'd have phrased it differently, she was making a broadly valid point. You read it here first.
    If she survives the week then clearly she is unsackable.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Leon said:

Chester90 said:

Andy_JS said:

Chester90 said:

Leon said:

Et voila. Bot
    Et tu, Troll?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ha!

@PolitlcsUK

She has to resign on Wednesday in those circumstances. It wouldn't make sense not to.
  • Options
    More importantly what are the odds on next person leaving cabinet?

I still suspect she'll be sacked. Sunak insists on dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
This discussion has been closed.