Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fewer than half of Tory voters want Sunak to keep Braverman as Home Secretary – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,100

Moving swiftly on (ahem), is Braverman going to be sacked tomorrow? Next week? Not at all?

What's the PB consensus?

I think I'm on the side of it not happening. I would quite like it to happen however because I think it could precipitate a vonk.
    I'm sceptical too, and suspect a lot of the pressure for Rishi to sack Suella comes from mischief-makers looking to weaken the Prime Minister. Leaving that aside, the timing is awkward because it will mean a new Home Secretary for the Rwanda verdict, and a full-scale reshuffle is hard because the Chancellor's Autumn Statement is imminent.
    If he delayed his reshuffle until Wednesday, he could sack Suella after the Rwanda verdict, and have a reason that didn’t need to be related to the threat to his authority. However, being frit and tactically naive, he won’t.
    If he’s going to sack her it needs to be tomorrow . At the moment the government looks more likely to win the appeal so it would look strange to get rid of her after that . And if they lose then it looks like she’s being blamed for that when Sunak owns any loss just as much as Braverman.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,047
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:
    Electoral Calculus puts it a bit higher, and without taking tatical voting into account.

It gives high and low estimates too. if you take the extreme low for the Tories it is not inconceivable they would not be the Official Opposition. Wonder what odds you could get on that?
    At the lowest point of Truss' premiership when the Tories were heading for less than 50 seats maybe. Not now under Sunak where they are in the 100-150 range which would be even below 1997 levels but still firmly keep them the main Opposition, especially with the SNP projected to lose seats to Labour too
    The Tories would need to win less than 59 seats to finish behind the SNP. Next time, though, below 25 seats.
  • Options
    Brown, Blair and Major manage to all effectively look the same age there, whereas Cameron doesn't look too far off where he was in 2016.

I presume Boris is moonlighting as Doc Brown in the BTTF stage production.
  • Options

kle4 said:

No climate justice on occupied land,” chants Greta Thunberg alongside the crowd at a “climate demonstration”

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1723766381273919939?s=20

I wish protestors and demonstrators would stick to one topic. Trying to mesh everything into one unified theory of opposition can just lead to confusion and some truly odd combinations.
    A lot of the US pro-Palestine supports are doing just that meshing US racial politics onto the middle east and hence why you get Trans for Terrorists etc.
    I think she's probably gone for the full package.

It's what social media can funnel you to these days.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

France is having a march against antisemitism. Jean Luc Melenchon won't be there as he thinks it is a 'rendezvous for unconditional supporters of the massacre' - referring to Gazans. Hopefully it will attract large numbers and might be an inspiration for something in the UK. The figure of Le Pen will loom large, which I don't doubt is a problem for many but hopefully the event is as broadly based as possible.

FPT: great idea. Likewise I hope Le Pen’s sport won’t put others off - I’d be interested in how many would attend this sort of march as well as a ceasefire March. I would.
    The Germans have just - apparently - banned the chant "from the river to the sea"

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article248478522/Innenministerium-verbietet-antisemtische-Parole-From-the-River-to-the-Sea.html

It would take a brave politician to do that here, and an even braver policeperson to try and enforce it on tens of thousands of protestors
    I think this is what makes people angry. The sense that the police are engaging in appeasement.
    It clearly makes you angry. I don't hear many people talking about it tbh.
    You don't think it outrageous that the police thought it necessary to take down pictures of children being held hostage in Gaza?
    The inability of PB-ers - and many many others - to put themselves in the minds of British Jews is quite startling and depressing. Theory of Mind means you should be able to do it unless you're properly dumb - or neurodivergent

Within living memory an extremely powerful European nation tried to kill every Jew on earth, and they got as far as killing maybe half of them - and if Hitler had won they could easily have killed 80%. Even today the global Jewish population has not recovered from the Holocaust

And yesterday we had a woman casually yelling "death to all Jews" in a British railway station, and no one doing anything, no outrage, no anger, nothing - apparently...

It was posted in the replies to the Met hate crime Twitter thread, so with any luck that will not be true. As they said, they intend to pursue such reports.
    I hope they identify her.

And there's plenty of anger about it, even if those in the immediate vicinity didn't express any.
    What would you do if someone shouted "Death to all Jews" right next to you at Victoria Station?

This is a serious question, but not a personal one. I've been asking myself the same, ever since I saw the vid

I hope I would have given her a ticking off and told her to shut the F up and go away. But I fear I might have been so shocked - and so used to British politeness - I would have just stood there in silent surprise, gobsmacked and mute

If there is any good to come out of this, it is that these incidents have shaken away any complacency about anti-Semitism. It exists, it is out there, it is deeply nasty, and it needs to be confronted
    The problem is you say something, the mob reacts, filming starts and if you aren't careful you are the one labelled as a racist.

There was a viral clip a couple of months ago with a lady who was having her bike stolen, reacted, and before she knew it she was labelled as crazy Karen racist lady.
    Very good point

Imagine if you did react, and said "Shut up you stupid woman, shut your filthy mouth and go away" and then someone filmed that but cut the "death to Jews" provocation at the start - suddenly you are a racist man abusing a BME woman and before the entire footage emerges you are cancelled and finished

Not great. So you say nothing?
    As Bob Stewart found out, a couple of loose words in the heat of the moment and he has a criminal record. It doesn't matter the guy was calling him all sorts of things under the sun.

The problem is those kind of people are there to have a fair minded debate. I would say that the likes of the stop antisemitism twitter accounts are highly effective, where they collate footage of people and ensure the relevant authorities are made aware.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,670
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

France is having a march against antisemitism. Jean Luc Melenchon won't be there as he thinks it is a 'rendezvous for unconditional supporters of the massacre' - referring to Gazans. Hopefully it will attract large numbers and might be an inspiration for something in the UK. The figure of Le Pen will loom large, which I don't doubt is a problem for many but hopefully the event is as broadly based as possible.

FPT: great idea. Likewise I hope Le Pen’s sport won’t put others off - I’d be interested in how many would attend this sort of march as well as a ceasefire March. I would.
    The Germans have just - apparently - banned the chant "from the river to the sea"

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article248478522/Innenministerium-verbietet-antisemtische-Parole-From-the-River-to-the-Sea.html

It would take a brave politician to do that here, and an even braver policeperson to try and enforce it on tens of thousands of protestors
    I think this is what makes people angry. The sense that the police are engaging in appeasement.
    You don't think it outrageous that the police thought it necessary to take down pictures of children being held hostage in Gaza?
    The inability of PB-ers - and many many others - to put themselves in the minds of British Jews is quite startling and depressing. Theory of Mind means you should be able to do it unless you're properly dumb - or neurodivergent

Within living memory an extremely powerful European nation tried to kill every Jew on earth, and they got as far as killing maybe half of them - and if Hitler had won they could easily have killed 80%. Even today the global Jewish population has not recovered from the Holocaust

And yesterday we had a woman casually yelling "death to all Jews" in a British railway station, and no one doing anything, no outrage, no anger, nothing - apparently. And this was just one anti-Semitic incident amongst hundreds these last weeks, and many thousands around the world

The virus of Jew-hatred is BACK. Jews are frightened. And anyone with an ounce of empathy can surely see why they are frightened, and share it, no?

Entirely correct. And this should be obvious to all people of good will regardless of where they stand on the particularities of the mutual barbarities that have been and are being meted out in Israel/Palestine.
    But it appears this sort of thing is only a problem when it is 'the far right' doing the hate.
    Of course, it is a problem when we have the far right doing it. But on yesterdays' evidence the far right amounts to about 200 thugs who quite like football and fighting. They are undoubtedly a bad thing, but not really a big thing. Whereas the far left are virulent AND numerous. But it is somehow impolite to criticise them.

Quite right. I think over the years there has been a sense among sane centrists (most people) that the far right are evil and support evil outcomes while the far left are only misguided but they support generally decent outcomes, so the left are more immune from attack.

Maybe this is wrong. Maybe far left now include lots of chancers who have no real desire for a better or more moral world but just want their faction to be top dog.

Re the events of yesterday, the great mass of the population don't attend or support either group of demonstrators. Maybe no-one (except the great Peter Tatchell) was there to represent support for all good people and opposition to all bad people.
  • Options

Brown, Blair and Major manage to all effectively look the same age there, whereas Cameron doesn't look too far off where he was in 2016.

When you see Major, you realise how much the Tories need him, or someone like him, now.
  • Options

When you see Major, you realise how much the Tories need him, or someone like him, now.
    They could even do with Gummer, Mellor and Currie at the moment....
  • Options

Apart from looking dishevelled, the thing that struck me that he was the only former PM not wearing a coat.

He's so disorganised, it is what was inevitable about his premiership unravelling.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,918
    Amazing how we have pretty much all gone through a sequence since the 2019 GE of:

1. Labour will take at least two elections to demolish that 80 seat majority.
    2. The Tories may struggle to maintain a clear majority next time.
    3. We could be heading for a Labour-led hung parliament.
    4. We could be heading for a small Labour majority.
    5. We could be heading for a 1997-style Labour landslide...

... and we're now edging into:

6. The Tories might not even be the official opposition!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,147

Theresa May cropped out Truss ;-)

"Each year on Remembrance Sunday, we assemble at the Cenotaph to honour the sacrifice of the fallen and pay tribute to the servicemen & women we place in harm’s way.

Today - as every day - we will remember them. #LestWeForget"

Traumatic amnesia. I find it difficult to remember her. I was watching something about the Queen's death on YouTube and was slightly taken aback when Truss spoke outside No 10. I know she was PM, and I agree with @Luckyguy1983 that she had a consistent approach that addressed the issue (whilst disagreeing it would work in 2022/3), but other than the bald facts she begins to slip away. I remember she had an awkward manner and unfortunate voice, but other than that... um?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:
    Electoral Calculus puts it a bit higher, and without taking tatical voting into account.

It gives high and low estimates too. if you take the extreme low for the Tories it is not inconceivable they would not be the Official Opposition. Wonder what odds you could get on that?
    At the lowest point of Truss' premiership when the Tories were heading for less than 50 seats maybe. Not now under Sunak where they are in the 100-150 range which would be even below 1997 levels but still firmly keep them the main Opposition, especially with the SNP projected to lose seats to Labour too
    The Tories would need to win less than 59 seats to finish behind the SNP. Next time, though, below 25 seats.
    Indeed and even the final Survation poll last year before Truss resigned on 20th October would have given the Tories 29 seats, albeit then the LDs would now be the main Opposition on 31 seats to 29 Tory seats and 21 SNP and Labour on 546 MPs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_electionhttps://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=23&LAB=52&LIB=11&Reform=2&Green=3&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=19.5&SCOTLAB=33.5&SCOTLIB=5.5&SCOTReform=1&SCOTGreen=2.5&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=34&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919
    algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

And yesterday we had a woman casually yelling "death to all Jews" in a British railway station, and no one doing anything, no outrage, no anger, nothing - apparently. And this was just one anti-Semitic incident amongst hundreds these last weeks, and many thousands around the world

The virus of Jew-hatred is BACK. Jews are frightened. And anyone with an ounce of empathy can surely see why they are frightened, and share it, no?

Entirely correct. And this should be obvious to all people of good will regardless of where they stand on the particularities of the mutual barbarities that have been and are being meted out in Israel/Palestine.
    But it appears this sort of thing is only a problem when it is 'the far right' doing the hate.
    Of course, it is a problem when we have the far right doing it. But on yesterdays' evidence the far right amounts to about 200 thugs who quite like football and fighting. They are undoubtedly a bad thing, but not really a big thing. Whereas the far left are virulent AND numerous. But it is somehow impolite to criticise them.

Quite right. I think over the years there has been a sense among sane centrists (most people) that the far right are evil and support evil outcomes while the far left are only misguided but they support generally decent outcomes, so the left are more immune from attack.

Maybe this is wrong. Maybe far left now include lots of chancers who have no real desire for a better or more moral world but just want their faction to be top dog.

Re the events of yesterday, the great mass of the population don't attend or support either group of demonstrators. Maybe no-one (except the great Peter Tatchell) was there to represent support for all good people and opposition to all bad people.
    I see no difference between the "Right" and the "Left" in this example - it's just each side uses the other term as a perjorative.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

It was always wrong.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,689
    edited November 2023

Amazing how we have pretty much all gone through a sequence since the 2019 GE of:

There's a piece in the draft section of the PB servers which says

'Was the 2019 election for the Tories what. 1906* was for the Liberals?'

I may finish it soon.

*or 1910, which is the reason I haven't finished it.

I may need to speak to @ydoethur to hear his thoughts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    stodge said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

I see no difference between the "Right" and the "Left" in this example - it's just each side uses the other term as a perjorative.
    It's not that all sides will be equally bad, depending on the situations and the times one may well be worse, but the extreme ends will always be awful, awful people.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No climate justice on occupied land,” chants Greta Thunberg alongside the crowd at a “climate demonstration”

I wish protestors and demonstrators would stick to one topic. Trying to mesh everything into one unified theory of opposition can just lead to confusion and some truly odd combinations.
    It certainly does; Ms Thunberg is absolutely open to reparations claims from those affected by Viking invasions and their casual way of occupying any territory that took their fancy. "Justice for Lindisfarne: Remember 8th June 793AD".
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,924
    algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

It all makes more sense if we evoke the horseshoe theory and say things as they are. Fundamentalism and jihadist islamism are far right. Just a different type of far right. They epitomise everything the right wing is about: protection of tradition, patriarchy, authoritarianism etc.

The left wing as a concept comes from the pre-revolutionary French parliament. Left wing means reformists, people who want to change and modernise.

That’s why islamofascism is a thing, and also why the Soviet Union was for most (all?) of its life essentially conservative.
  • Options

Major wasn't very good, though. His high point was his soapbox campaigning in GE1992.

As a PM he was like Theresa May.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,896

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:
    And Lib Dems only 13 seats, which seems a bit off. The MRP is based on much better national vote share for the Tories than most other polling.
    Apparently it shows the Tories only holding 2 seats in London, with 1 of them being Finchley, which seems unlikely. Orpington, Upminster and Romford are far safer.
    Finchley skewed by the strong showing for Luciana Berger last time?

Some of the other results look unlikely; Labour gain Winchester looks pretty implausible. I guess one of the problems at the moment is that there's no way for an MRP to take account of the "how many bajillion Focus leaflets are going through letterboxes" factor.

Fun fact: the poll was carried out by Survation on behalf of the UK Spirits Alliance. Basically it shows the Conservatives don't have a ghost of a chance.
    Wasn't Baron David Frost of Fuckwit's previous job running something like the UK Spirits Alliance?

Admittedly a lot of the Brexit process makes more sense if you admit the possibility that our chief negotiator was permanently sloshed on Scotch at the time.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

Anti-Semitism is literally the totem of someone who's far-right.

And yet, they said nothing.

It's all words. All about social proof. All performative. Nothing of substance.

And it's very very scary.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

If you can ignore the Truss joke, just look at the absolute state of Johnson in this shot. He's never coming back as PM, that's for sure.

• Options
    Teach our kids to think.

Teach our kids moral courage.

Give us the strength to show them how to do both now.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

It certainly does; Ms Thunberg is absolutely open to reparations claims from those affected by Viking invasions and their casual way of occupying any territory that took their fancy. "Justice for Lindisfarne: Remember 8th June 793AD".
    I suppose we could start by renaming seemingly innocent settlements that are, in reality, monuments to hideous oppression.
  • Options

No we aren't, maybe 6 might have been possible last October, it certainly isn't now.

Given the economic situation and inflation Starmer will face if he becomes PM I certainly wouldn't count on his getting a long honeymoon either
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

And yesterday we had a woman casually yelling "death to all Jews" in a British railway station, and no one doing anything, no outrage, no anger, nothing - apparently...

It was posted in the replies to the Met hate crime Twitter thread, so with any luck that will not be true. As they said, they intend to pursue such reports.

And there's plenty of anger about it, even if those in the immediate vicinity didn't express any.
    What would you do if someone shouted "Death to all Jews" right next to you at Victoria Station?

This is a serious question, but not a personal one. I've been asking myself the same, ever since I saw the vid

I hope I would have given her a ticking off and told her to shut the F up and go away. But I fear I might have been so shocked - and so used to British politeness - I would have just stood there in silent surprise, gobsmacked and mute

If there is any good to come out of this, it is that these incidents have shaken away any complacency about anti-Semitism. It exists, it is out there, it is deeply nasty, and it needs to be confronted
    The problem is you say something, the mob reacts, filming starts and if you aren't careful you are the one labelled as a racist.

There was a viral clip a couple of months ago with a lady who was having her bike stolen, reacted, and before she knew it she was labelled as crazy Karen racist lady.
    Very good point

Imagine if you did react, and said "Shut up you stupid woman, shut your filthy mouth and go away" and then someone filmed that but cut the "death to Jews" provocation at the start - suddenly you are a racist man abusing a BME woman and before the entire footage emerges you are cancelled and finished

Not great. So you say nothing?
    In order for ordinary people to get involved in calling out/dealing with any sort of public kerfuffle they have to have deep trust in the police and other bits of state to see things the same way as they do. I don't think that trust quite exists. At the most basic level, there isn't even a trust that they will turn up, but there are lots of other distrusts too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,066
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

The default reaction these days is to video it on your phone - and in this case thankfully someone did.
    But we’ve all seen people standing back filming on their mobile and doing nothing in situations where more urgent intervention is needed.

More cheerfully.

Thousands gathered in Paris today to stand in solidarity with the Jewish community, in the wake of an alarming rise of antisemitism.

Thank you ❤️🇫🇷

https://twitter.com/eurojewcong/status/1723729491350978950
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188

If you can ignore the Truss joke, just look at the absolute state of Johnson in this shot. He's never coming back as PM, that's for sure.

First thing to reinvent himself is to ditch the hair. What's left of it.
  • Options
    Peter Tatchell is I think deserving of the national treasure moniker, now he’s advancing in years.

For most Lib Dems, the Southwark and Bermondsey by-election is the greatest single source of shame for the party. More than the coalition or tuition fees, or not bothering with new nuclear power.

Sorry, Peter.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

The default reaction these days is to video it on your phone - and in this case thankfully someone did.
    But we’ve all seen people standing back filming on their mobile and doing nothing in situations where more urgent intervention is needed.

More cheerfully.

Thousands gathered in Paris today to stand in solidarity with the Jewish community, in the wake of an alarming rise of antisemitism.

Thank you ❤️🇫🇷

https://twitter.com/eurojewcong/status/1723729491350978950
    Actually I think filling something on the phone and then publishing it later is a very sensible course of action. Justice served cold.
  • Options

Apart from looking dishevelled, the thing that struck me that he was the only former PM not wearing a coat.

He's so disorganised, it is what was inevitable about his premiership unravelling.
    Hairstyle even looks like Michael Foot.
    Has he gone gray ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Has he gone gray ?
    I know somebody who occasionally gets to see Boris Johnson up close and personal (no, not like that) and they are convinced Boris Johnson is developing a bald patch which he is desperate to hide.
  • Options
    stodge said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

Political discussion would be more interesting and informative if labels such as right and left were avoided altogether, and only focussed on the actual contents of opinion, action and belief.

Eg, in normal centre ground politics 'right' can signify both a strong belief in free trade and globalisation and also its opposite, protectionism and localism.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188
    edited November 2023

"Each year on Remembrance Sunday, we assemble at the Cenotaph to honour the sacrifice of the fallen and pay tribute to the servicemen & women we place in harm’s way.

A third of a century of the residents of 10 Downing Street - a shocking selection of no-marks. Plus a whiter-than-white guy who has gone on to make gazillions.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

maxh said:

It all makes more sense if we evoke the horseshoe theory and say things as they are. Fundamentalism and jihadist islamism are far right. Just a different type of far right. They epitomise everything the right wing is about: protection of tradition, patriarchy, authoritarianism etc.

The left wing as a concept comes from the pre-revolutionary French parliament. Left wing means reformists, people who want to change and modernise.

That’s why islamofascism is a thing, and also why the Soviet Union was for most (all?) of its life essentially conservative.
    Yes exactly

IslamISM (not Islam) is as close to pure Fascism as it is possible to find, these days. The only difference from the classic definition is that The Faithful have replaced The Nation, but it makes no difference to the observation

Everything else is there. The cult of the leader, the worship of violence, the adoration of war, the reverence for valour, the misogyny and patriarchy, the notable homophobia, the insistence on procreation, the jailing of women in the home, the disdain for democracy, the contempt for the other, the outsiders, the minorities - anyone not of The Faithful...

Which makes it so profoundly bizarre that the Crank Left makes common cause with Islamism, do they not even notice how fascist it is? Andrew Tate has noticed
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    edited November 2023

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:
    And Lib Dems only 13 seats, which seems a bit off. The MRP is based on much better national vote share for the Tories than most other polling.
    Apparently it shows the Tories only holding 2 seats in London, with 1 of them being Finchley, which seems unlikely. Orpington, Upminster and Romford are far safer.
    Finchley skewed by the strong showing for Luciana Berger last time?

Some of the other results look unlikely; Labour gain Winchester looks pretty implausible. I guess one of the problems at the moment is that there's no way for an MRP to take account of the "how many bajillion Focus leaflets are going through letterboxes" factor.

Fun fact: the poll was carried out by Survation on behalf of the UK Spirits Alliance. Basically it shows the Conservatives don't have a ghost of a chance.
    Wasn't Baron David Frost of Fuckwit's previous job running something like the UK Spirits Alliance?

Admittedly a lot of the Brexit process makes more sense if you admit the possibility that our chief negotiator was permanently sloshed on Scotch at the time.
    You mean the chap who tried to use the EU to defeat democratically elected [edit] within-the-UK government policies? Ah yes, the high heidyin of the Scotch Whisky Association of imperishable memory around indyref1 time.

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2015/12/european-court-rules-against-minimum-pricing-of-alcohol/
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/uk/939293/dont-turn-back-eu-says-frost/
    https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/11540/swa-urged-to-abandon-minimum-pricing-fight/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661

Moving swiftly on (ahem), is Braverman going to be sacked tomorrow? Next week? Not at all?

What's the PB consensus?

I think I'm on the side of it not happening. I would quite like it to happen however because I think it could precipitate a vonk.
    Presume you mean VONC? Not a chance.
    Yes. She has more supporters than signatures needed.

He's doing quite well not rising to it when she's clearly longing to be sacked to position herself nicely for the leadership.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Has he gone gray ?
    I know somebody who occasionally gets to see Boris Johnson up close and personal (no, not like that) and they are convinced Boris Johnson is developing a bald patch which he is desperate to hide.
    Yep, deffo balding. I hear the same
  • Options

What's the PB consensus?

He's doing quite well not rising to it when she's clearly longing to be sacked to position herself nicely for the leadership.
    Yes but Sunak would clearly win any VONC, so why would Braverman's supporters provoke one at this point?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Has he gone gray ?
    I think there were some telling shots when he was still doing PMQs- some of the camera angles in the Chamber are pretty brutal.

Mostly because I remember developing a BoJo=Samson theory.

He's not coming back.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Wasn't suggesting it was likely, H, but if you take the T's projected worst case, it's only marginally better than the LD's best case.

I think I'd want 50/1 though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Has he gone gray ?
    Grey. Or has Sue Gray affected him deeply?
  • Options

What's the PB consensus?

Yes but Sunak would clearly win any VONC, so why would Braverman's supporters provoke one at this point?
    I don't think he'd fight it. And I also think even him winning would be just 'doing a Major' winning his back me or sack me leadership vote before getting obliterated by Labour. What would be the point? Fuckety bye.
  • Options

What's the PB consensus?

Thatcher, May, and Johnson won votes of confidence (de facto and de jure) and were gone with days/weeks/months of the confidence vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No we aren't, maybe 6 might have been possible last October, it certainly isn't now.

Given the economic situation and inflation Starmer will face if he becomes PM I certainly wouldn't count on his getting a long honeymoon either
    Draw a straight trend line through the Tory support chart on this and think long and hard about where it takes you to by next October.

• Options

What's the PB consensus?

I don't think he'd fight it. And I also think even him winning would be just 'doing a Major' winning his back me or sack me leadership vote before getting obliterated by Labour. What would be the point? Fuckety bye.
    Good point. Then who?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Leon said:

I was once in a queue for a taxi at Victoria when the Latin American-looking girl in front of me was next up. Two young City types grabbed the taxi. One looked a bit hesitant but the other one said "Come on! Whose fucking country is it anyway?"

In retrospect I wish I'd said to the driver "These are queue-jumpers and I've taken your number and will report you if you let them jump the queue." But, as you say, I was too British and merely stared in horror. As the cab drove off, I said to the girl, "I'm so sorry" and she smiled and said "Is all right." But still...

In your case, though, with no direct target, I'd still ignore the shouter, as I would any drunk or loony. The same would apply if she was shouting "Death to all Labour supporters" or something else that I felt affected me. Can't be bothered to argue the toss with a random nutter.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,196
    French anti-Semitism appears to be more on the far left, not the far right:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67378893

The far right turn up with other parties on a march against anti-Semitism, but the far left refuse.
  • Options

What's the PB consensus?

Good point. Then who?
    This will be far too gamey for most here, but I think Jake Berry. Populist Northern Trussite. Not as problematical image-wise as Suella. I admit it's slim pickings. Any winner will need to agree to resign and trigger a full leadership election should the Tories lose the GE.
  • Options

Leon said:

I was once in a queue for a taxi at Victoria when the Latin American-looking girl in front of me was next up. Two young City types grabbed the taxi. One looked a bit hesitant but the other one said "Come on! Whose fucking country is it anyway?"

In retrospect I wish I'd said to the driver "These are queue-jumpers and I've taken your number and will report you if you let them jump the queue." But, as you say, I was too British and merely stared in horror. As the cab drove off, I said to the girl, "I'm so sorry" and she smiled and said "Is all right." But still...

In your case, though, with no direct target, I'd still ignore the shouter, as I would any drunk or loony. The same would apply if she was shouting "Death to all Labour supporters" or something else that I felt affected me. Can't be bothered to argue the toss with a random nutter.
    And what if someone was shouting "Lynch all the N****rs" at black people, or "rape the Asian bitches" as Chinese girls walked past?

I don't believe you would calmly do nothing. You would at least be deeply conflicted, as would I

Perhaps our cowardice/British reserve would overcome us, as you say (delete as appropriate). I hope I would be a little braver, but I am not sure...

The brute fact it was a woman shouting "death to all Jews" would probably help, as I wouldn't be scared of getting my face smashed in if I told her to shut up
  • Options

I may finish it soon.

As much as I would like this to be true I’m not sure it is. A major factor in the decline of the Liberals was the emergence of a party which could better represent one of its core constituencies, unionised labour. Unless a viable party emerges that can win the right of centre, patriotic type of vote then the Tories will always have enough support to remain the official opposition.

Incidentally I’ve always thought it was a tragedy that Labour eclipsed the Liberals as the second party because in reality they were much worse at competing with the Conservatives as a party of government. The old Liberal Party could put together a far wider coalition of voters than Labour has ever been able to do with the exception of Blair. We might have been better governed throughout the 20th century if the Tories weren’t quite so electorally dominant.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,540
    edited November 2023

I may finish it soon.

Seems unlikely the Tories will win enough seats at the next two elections to hang on with the support of Irish MPs.

And the Liberal performance in both elections in 1910 was underwhelming. Much more comparable to 2017.

If you are looking for a situation where a storming victory was followed by disappearance I would suggest the Whigs in 1837. Having got what they wanted by parliamentary reform and kept locking out their unelectable opponents, the Whigs had run out of ideas and never actually won another majority in their own strength (contrary to what Wikipedia claims about the 1857 election). In the end were forced to merge with two other parties.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,542
    Bari Weiss's essay, "End DEI", is insightful. And, like everything else I've read by her, it has a clarity that more of us should try to emulate. https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/end-dei-bari-weiss-jews

Sample: "What I saw [20 years ago as an undergraduate] was a worldview that replaced basic ideas of good and evil with a new rubric: the powerless (good) and the powerful (bad). It replaced lots of things. Colorblindness with race-obsession. Ideas with identity. Debate with denunciation. Persuasion with public shaming. The rule of law with the fury of the mob."

Judging people by the color of their skin, rather than the content of their character.

Having such heterodox ideas forced her to leave the NYT. In spite of her ticking several "diversity" boxes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bari_Weiss
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

I may finish it soon.

As much as I would like this to be true I’m not sure it is. A major factor in the decline of the Liberals was the emergence of a party which could better represent one of its core constituencies, unionised labour. Unless a viable party emerges that can win the right of centre, patriotic type of vote then the Tories will always have enough support to remain the official opposition.

Incidentally I’ve always thought it was a tragedy that Labour eclipsed the Liberals as the second party because in reality they were much worse at competing with the Conservatives as a party of government. The old Liberal Party could put together a far wider coalition of voters than Labour has ever been able to do with the exception of Blair. We might have been better governed throughout the 20th century if the Tories weren’t quite so electorally dominant.
    Indeed, in Canada for example the Liberals have been in power for more of the last 100 years than the Canadian Conservatives have been, the NDP like Labour would have been less attractive to centrist voters.

In France too Macron's liberal En Marche have proved rather more effective electorally than the French Socialists
  • Options

What's the PB consensus?

Good point. Then who?
    This will be far too gamey for most here, but I think Jake Berry. Populist Northern Trussite. Not as problematical image-wise as Suella. I admit it's slim pickings. Any winner will need to agree to resign and trigger a full leadership election should the Tories lose the GE.
    I'd keep plenty of Sunakites in the Cabinet - Sunak Foreign Sec if he wanted it, but offer him Ambassador to the US. Jeremy Hunt to the NHS, as long as his death-grip on the economy ceases I'm happy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Draw a straight trend line through the Tory support chart on this and think long and hard about where it takes you to by next October.

Around 25-30% of the vote but once Labour are in power they are responsible for the economy
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    viewcode said:

Traumatic amnesia. I find it difficult to remember her. I was watching something about the Queen's death on YouTube and was slightly taken aback when Truss spoke outside No 10. I know she was PM, and I agree with @Luckyguy1983 that she had a consistent approach that addressed the issue (whilst disagreeing it would work in 2022/3), but other than the bald facts she begins to slip away. I remember she had an awkward manner and unfortunate voice, but other than that... um?
    A necklace?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Around 25-30% of the vote but once Labour are in power they are responsible for the economy
    They couldn't possibly do any worse than your incompetents.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392

Teach our kids to think.

I believe the children are our future…….
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,560

Some of us started off with:

0. Boris might even increase his majority at the next election.

It made sense to me at the time!
  • Options

I may finish it soon.

Clearly not 1906 otherwise the Tories would be heading for narrow re election as the Liberals did in 1910.

Fortunately for the Conservatives, ReformUK, while on the rise, are still a long way from the voteshare they would need to overtake them as the main party of the right, as Labour gradually overtook the Liberals as the main party of the left in the early 20th century
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

I may finish it soon.

The Liberals won majorities in 1859 (for a given value of 'Liberal' since the party didn't actually exist until after the election) 1865, and 1868.

Then in 1880 and 1906.

All those elections bar the last have in common that they were fought on a very restricted franchise.

They weren't actually very good at appealing to mass segments of the population. After the 1885 reforms, which widened the franchise to effectively the majority of adult males, they won one overall majority. That was forty years before Labour emerged.

In particular, they were opposed to votes for women because they knew that women were unlikely to vote Liberal in large numbers (with very rare exceptions - 1906 would have been one).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,364

Teach our kids to think.

🎶Because the greatest love of all
    Is happening to me
    I found the greatest love of all
    Inside of me
    The greatest love of all
    Is easy to achieve
    Learning to love yourself
    It is the greatest love of all 🎶

Never had you down as a Whitney fan CR
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Has he gone gray ?
    Yep, deffo balding. I hear the same
    You do not need to hear it. You can see great patches of pink scalp, but it is more like thinning than a classical bald patch, so to that extent TSE might have new information.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh they could, inflation going up again, taxes up further, strikes etc
  • Options

Some of us started off with:

0. Boris might even increase his majority at the next election.

It made sense to me at the time!
    At one point in 2019 it didn't seem totally unrealistic to speculate on whether Labour might slip to third.

With hindsight it does.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Teach our kids to think.

Teach your children well
  • Options

Taz said:

Teach our kids to think.

Teach your children well
    Because the DfE certainly fucking won't.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I may finish it soon.

Seems unlikely the Tories will win enough seats at the next two elections to hang on with the support of Irish MPs.

And the Liberal performance in both elections in 1910 was underwhelming. Much more comparable to 2017.

If you are looking for a situation where a storming victory was followed by disappearance I would suggest the Whigs in 1837. Having got what they wanted by parliamentary reform and kept locking out their unelectable opponents, the Whigs had run out of ideas and never actually won another majority in their own strength (contrary to what Wikipedia claims about the 1857 election). In the end were forced to merge with two other parties.
    Effectively the Whigs joined with the Radicals and Peelites to form the Liberals which became the main opposition to the Tories
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thank goodness for that!
  • Options

What's the PB consensus?

What supporters? She has at best a dozen of the fruitcake brigade imho who would reliably turn out for her.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Questions are- how long can Labour field the "clearing up the mess left by the Tories" line? And can they genuinely fix the economy before that excuse wears out?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

I may finish it soon.

The Liberals won majorities in 1859 (for a given value of 'Liberal' since the party didn't actually exist until after the election) 1865, and 1868.

Then in 1880 and 1906.

All those elections bar the last have in common that they were fought on a very restricted franchise.

They weren't actually very good at appealing to mass segments of the population. After the 1885 reforms, which widened the franchise to effectively the majority of adult males, they won one overall majority. That was forty years before Labour emerged.

In particular, they were opposed to votes for women because they knew that women were unlikely to vote Liberal in large numbers (with very rare exceptions - 1906 would have been one).
    If we went back to a franchise restricted to the top 10-20% by wealth and property that would do more for Liberal prospects than PR would, the typical LD voter now an upper middle class Remainer. Won't happen of course
  • Options

French anti-Semitism appears to be more on the far left, not the far right:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67378893

The far right turn up with other parties on a march against anti-Semitism, but the far left refuse.

In recent years there has been a mass exodus of Jews from France to an extent that makes claims of antisemitism in Britain or under Corbyn seem laughable. (That said, iirc France still has a larger Jewish population than this country.)
  • Options

Bari Weiss's essay, "End DEI", is insightful. And, like everything else I've read by her, it has a clarity that more of us should try to emulate. https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/end-dei-bari-weiss-jews

Sample: "What I saw [20 years ago as an undergraduate] was a worldview that replaced basic ideas of good and evil with a new rubric: the powerless (good) and the powerful (bad). It replaced lots of things. Colorblindness with race-obsession. Ideas with identity. Debate with denunciation. Persuasion with public shaming. The rule of law with the fury of the mob."

Judging people by the color of their skin, rather than the content of their character.

Having such heterodox ideas forced her to leave the NYT. In spite of her ticking several "diversity" boxes.

The NYT is a seriously flawed publication, but not quite in the way you say.

NYT covering Hillary Clinton’s “deplorables” remark vs NYT covering Donald Trump’s “vermin” remark.
    https://twitter.com/TUSK81/status/1723544091341062582
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,759
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Teach our kids to think.

Teach your children well
    Because the DfE certainly fucking won't.
    They will “Teach your children…. well….”

I always liked the very French head admin for the Free School my youngest went to.

Her aim was

1) keep the school running.
    2) prevent the nut job type of parent from making life hell for the staff.
    3) prevent the nut jobs in The System making life hell for the staff.

She is still there - and everyone respects her. God help you if you got on her wrong side….
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 849
    edited November 2023

maxh said:

Interesting how few on here who were critical of the ceasefire marches are willing to condemn far right violence, instead in some cases bending over backwards to distort reality (‘the Met only policed the far right march not the ceasefire march’ or ‘The EDL-types were only trying to get into Whitehall to pay their respects’).

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, whoever does it.

Really? Have not seen anyone trying to say the right-wing violence is ok, mainly because it wasn't - they were thuggish yobs out for trouble.

Leon said:

maxh said:

Interesting how few on here who were critical of the ceasefire marches are willing to condemn far right violence, instead in some cases bending over backwards to distort reality (‘the Met only policed the far right march not the ceasefire march’ or ‘The EDL-types were only trying to get into Whitehall to pay their respects’).

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, whoever does it.

No one on PB is excusing the football louts. They were - and I saw them - a bunch of ugly idiots, fulled on beer, weed and 'ooter. I saw one abuse a copper horribly (and escape arrest) - I saw another hurl racist slurs at some Muslim girls. Thoroughly nasty

But they WERE tiny in number, 200-300? And kind of pathetic. Saddos

Across London 300,000 marched, and whatever you think of that march, 300,000 people is impressive and definitely not "pathetic", and is therefore worthy of proportionately more scrutiny
    @leon @thekitchencabinet mea culpa, apologies. I was dipping in and picking up on particular messages, including some from both of you.

Now the kids are in bed I’ve read back properly and can see that both of you have definitely called out the far right group, I just missed it.

ETA: and I’ve seen the ‘kill all Jews’ video. Horrific.
  • Options
    I see Sewer Braverman has doubled down on social media this evening.

Over to you Rishi...
  • Options

There is no prime ministerial consensus as to what should happen when trouser legs meet shoes (or in Rishi's case, move in that general direction).
  • Options

I see Sewer Braverman has doubled down on social media this evening.

Over to you Rishi...

Perhaps we could extradite her to Rwanda....?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Questions are- how long can Labour field the "clearing up the mess left by the Tories" line? And can they genuinely fix the economy before that excuse wears out?
    The Tories managed the “there’s no money left” play for about 7-8 years. They succeeded with “winter of discontent” for about 13 years. I’d say Blair managed to live off “Tory sleaze” and “NHS waiting lists” for a good 9 years too. So I reckon Labour will be able to riff off the Trussterfuck and crumbling Britain for 2 terms.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Don't let the lefties in because they will wreck everything!" has been a Tory battle cry for as long as I can remember so clearly some excuses can last for decades.

And as for the lefties wrecking everything.... :D:D I wonder have the Tories noticed the state that they themselves have left the place in?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,759

What's the PB consensus?

What supporters? She has at best a dozen of the fruitcake brigade imho who would reliably turn out for her.
    As a founder member of the Royal Society For The Protection of The Reputation of Comestibles of a Fruitage Nature I must object to your description of political loons.

Even when covered in a strong but indifferent brandy, and set on fire, political loons remain defiantly inedible. Fruitcake on the other hand…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

I may finish it soon.

Then in 1880 and 1906.

If we went back to a franchise restricted to the top 10-20% by wealth and property that would do more for Liberal prospects than PR would, the typical LD voter now an upper middle class Remainer. Won't happen of course
    I sometimes like to consider various restricted franchises as a thought-experiment. For example, suppose you restricted the franchise only to people who were parents, on the basis that only parents have a long-term stake in the country? What might be the result?

Would it encourage people to have children a bit earlier, to gain a vote? Aside from the after difference, how differently do childless people vote?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

NYT covering Hillary Clinton’s “deplorables” remark vs NYT covering Donald Trump’s “vermin” remark.
    He really said that?!
  • Options
    "On June 7, 2020, the Times editorial page editor, James Bennet, resigned after more than 1,000 staffers signed a letter protesting his publication of an op-ed[27] by U.S. Senator Tom Cotton saying that since "rioters have plunged many American cities into anarchy," soldiers should be sent as backup for the police to end the violence. Bennet later stated he had not read the op-ed beforehand.[48] Weiss characterized the internal controversy as an ongoing "civil war" between what she called young "social justice warriors" and what she identified as older "free speech advocate" staffers.[48][49][50] This characterization was disputed by some other journalists and opinion writers at the Times; Taylor Lorenz, a technology reporter who covers internet culture, described it as a "willful misrepresentation" that ignored the numerous older staffers who had spoken out, while Jamal Jordan, the Times' digital storytelling editor, criticized her for not listening to her black colleagues and instead dismissing their concerns as a "woke civil war"."
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Nigelb said:

He really said that?!
    Yes.
    His veterans day message.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1723743778341560404

Hitler adjacent.

The NYT has a very long history of seriously bad calls.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1924/12/21/archives/hitler-tamed-by-prison-released-on-parole-he-is-expected-to-return.html
  • Options

There is no prime ministerial consensus as to what should happen when trouser legs meet shoes (or in Rishi's case, move in that general direction).
    Cameron looks good. Speaking of people who've used their time out of the limelight to sort out their thinning hair... Lost some weight too.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Don't let the lefties in because they will wreck everything!" has been a Tory battle cry for as long as I can remember so clearly some excuses can last for decades.

And as for the lefties wrecking everything.... :D:D I wonder have the Tories noticed the state that they themselves have left the place in?
    Things can always get wreckier.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,266

Truss is expected to turn up every year for the rest of her life, and every year everybody is going to ask "Who is that and why is she there?"
  • Options
    There's an old joke about a lawyer who is defending a man accused of killing another man, a boy, and a dog. The defendant's lawyer produces the dog, and tells the jury they must acquit.

It is distressing how often educated people will base a general argument on a single example.
  • Options
    I didn't see Carrie in the box with the other spouses.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Now I'm craving a remake of the Yellow Pages advert with the French Polisher....

https://youtu.be/iKb3J9mctlo

Rishi as the floppy haired guy, Truss as the "Who's she?" girl.

Except the final scene is a messy house.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Truss is expected to turn up every year for the rest of her life, and every year everybody is going to ask "Who is that and why is she there?"
    Hashtag Lest We Forget
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Lettuce never forget.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Things can always get wreckier.
    Undeniably true. See "Johnson resigns".
  • Options
    @MattChorley

HAPPY RESHUFFLE EVE?

💥Grid empty (ht @MrHarryCole )
    💥Whitehall officials apparently “preparing” for change
    💥Ministers plotting/panicking/packing
    💥Tipped by colleagues for chop inc Barclay, Coffey “and Suella obviously”
    💥No10 tonight:🤐

Can’t wait…
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,988

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

I may finish it soon.

Then in 1880 and 1906.

I sometimes like to consider various restricted franchises as a thought-experiment. For example, suppose you restricted the franchise only to people who were parents, on the basis that only parents have a long-term stake in the country? What might be the result?

Would it encourage people to have children a bit earlier, to gain a vote? Aside from the after difference, how differently do childless people vote?
    That's an interesting thought experiment.

I think it would be quite similar to the way things work now with the grey vote. Only instead of the Tories pandering to pensioners at the expense of the rest of us, you'd have the main parties tripping over each other to offer parent-friendly policies.

People like me, childless by choice, would probably just leave the country, on the basis of a) being disenfranchised and b) seeing an increasing amount of our taxes being spent on things we don't use in ways we can't change. The tax take and population may actually shrink as a result.

Then you have people who are childless through infertility. People literally born without a vote. That's before getting into the complexities of gay people, transgender people, etc.

I'm not sure I would want to live in a parent-ocracy. At least with a gerontocracy, I can guarantee I'm going to get old (or won't be around to care).

If you want to raise birth rates, I'd do it with tax breaks. An additional 10% off your taxes for every additional child. Pop ten out and never pay tax again! Breed for Britain, etc...

• Options
    edited November 2023
    viewcode said:

Immutable truths have not ceased to be so because it's 2022/3. Overtax and overregulate and economic activity will diminish. This was observed by Adam Smith, and was true long before him, and is true to this day.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Will Sunak fly back every year from LA?
This discussion has been closed.