Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

There’s still a big gap for the Tories to surount – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/raz_sauber/status/1714374976785002924

Al Jazeera channel provides evidence that Israel is not responsible for the attack on the hospital.

You know, I am beginning to wonder if these Hamas chaps are entirely trustworthy.
    The UK media seem to be getting cautious, after a start in which this was all obviously Israel. Sky, BBC, Guardian, Reuters, FT all playing it down the middle. The firmness of some (not all) official denials by Israel is interesting.

And, yes, the 'good chaps' theory of government is finding the middle east a hard testing ground.
    I can hear the bbc sub editor now. “Israeli terrorists blame Palestinian freedom fighters for brutal destruction of hospital”.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Leon said:

lol

Is England the only country left on earth where its people lustily sing in praise of their monarch?

Nah mate, we do it in Belfast then watch non football for 90minutes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,169
    I don't believe for one minute that Israel deliberately targeted a hospital.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

nico679 said:

Jeez how many terrorist groups are there . Never heard of Palestinian Islamic Jihad before .

Lots....and many don't like each other much.

I am reminded the fact there are two communist parties of Canada, who appear to despise each other more than capitalism.

REG: Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the fucking Judean People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah...

JUDITH: Splitters.

P.F.J.: Splitters...

FRANCIS: And the Judean Popular People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Oh, yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

LORETTA: And the People's Front of Judea.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

REG: What?

LORETTA: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.

REG: We're the People's Front of Judea!

LORETTA: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

REG: People's Front! C-huh.

FRANCIS: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

REG: He's over there.

P.F.J.: Splitter!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,820

Go home news headline writers - there is no topping this.

https://twitter.com/jamiesont/status/1714363647663747195

We do have someone with a paramotor who buzzes about on calm days from a field about 5 miles NE of Doncaster. He buzzed me at no more than 300ft (below max drone height) about a week ago. Wasn't terribly impressed.
    Then he was breaking the law.
    Unless landing, no aircraft (including a paramotor) may be within 500' in a direct line of any person, vehicle, or structure. He could legally be at 300', but only if the total distance between him and you (or any other person) was under 500'
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Is England the only country left on earth where its people lustily sing in praise of their monarch?

The only big ears I'll sing in praise of is the European Cup/Champions League trophy.
    I'm warming to King Chuck the Third

With a world in turmoil, a comforting old monarch, and a cosy old monarchy, is rather reassuring. The constitutional equivalent of a hearth fire, a snoozing old dog, and a lovely pint of IPA
    And as luck would have it I know just the place, not a million miles from you, where the bar is exactly as you describe.
  • Options
    Good grief, PB.com seems to be ahead of the curve (as always) and figured out what happened with the Gaza Hospital. Thought I'd check the BBC and this reporting they've got live as their "summary" is shockingly bad.

Hundreds of people have been killed in an Israeli strike on a hospital in Gaza City ...

That's a shockingly bad way to report what's happened in the summary. A lot of people read the first sentence then take from there, the Beeb's reporting is going to be taken as that is what happened by a lot of people. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

Off topic, but interesting to many of you: "House Speaker George W. Bush?

One House Democrat pushed that idea Monday as a potential way to break the paralysis created by the vacancy in the chamber’s top position.

Rep. Brad Sherman of California said the Republican former president could be a compromise choice that each party could live with in the closely divided House."
    source: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/oct/16/rep-brad-sherman-democrat-floats-george-w-bush-hou/

(Sherman has not always been a fan of Bush in the past.)

Bush surely isn’t MAGA enough for the nutters though.

There’s more chance they’ll make Trump speaker
    For one thing, I trust Bush to do the right thing on Ukraine and consequences be damned. He might even… and whisper this quietly…. speak to his opponents like Biden. So no way it’s him.

God how far the Republicans have fallen for us to think of GW as the adult in the room.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

nico679 said:

Jeez how many terrorist groups are there . Never heard of Palestinian Islamic Jihad before .

I am reminded the fact there are two communist parties of Canada, who appear to despise each other more than capitalism.
    Only two?

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,731
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

The only big ears I'll sing in praise of is the European Cup/Champions League trophy.
    I'm warming to King Chuck the Third

With a world in turmoil, a comforting old monarch, and a cosy old monarchy, is rather reassuring. The constitutional equivalent of a hearth fire, a snoozing old dog, and a lovely pint of IPA
    And as luck would have it I know just the place, not a million miles from you, where the bar is exactly as you describe.
    Is that the one with the private skating rink at the back? Love that place
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    nico679 said:

Splitters!
  • Options

One House Democrat pushed that idea Monday as a potential way to break the paralysis created by the vacancy in the chamber’s top position.

Rep. Brad Sherman of California said the Republican former president could be a compromise choice that each party could live with in the closely divided House."
    source: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/oct/16/rep-brad-sherman-democrat-floats-george-w-bush-hou/

The Trumpets would do the Scanners thing with their heads. They HATE GWB.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023

Good grief, PB.com seems to be ahead of the curve (as always) and figured out what happened with the Gaza Hospital. Thought I'd check the BBC and this reporting they've got live as their "summary" is shockingly bad.

Hundreds of people have been killed in an Israeli strike on a hospital in Gaza City ...

That's a shockingly bad way to report what's happened in the summary. A lot of people read the first sentence then take from there, the Beeb's reporting is going to be taken as that is what happened by a lot of people. 🤦‍♂️

And to think they spent the last week saying well we can't call terrorists terrorists, we never do, oh well we do, but not this time, because we have to be super careful, balance, impartiality, not rushing to judgement, only factual statements...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

Just checked. It currently says:

Hundreds of people are feared dead after a huge blast at a hospital in Gaza City

Hamas have blamed an Israeli air strike for causing the explosion at the Al Ahli hospital

Israel denied its military was involved and said the blast was caused by rockets fired by Palestinian Islamic Jihad. The militants have also denied blame
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Wow, I'm not even an animal lover and that shocks me more than the disaster zone in the middle east. Just why?
    Probably because his dog had been slightly non-cooperative a few seconds earlier.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,716

Leon said:

lol

Liechtenstein’s definitely references the monarchy - funnily enough, it is to exactly the same melody.
    It's only a principality, not the real deal.

The lusty singing in praise of the monarch is for three reasons: No-one is ever made to or expected to; the English do irony when most Johnny Foreigners don't know what it is; short and simple words and tune, more or less without any meaning at all.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

moonshine said:

DavidL said:

What an absolute tosser Jude Bellingham is.

An utter embarrassment.

Arguably the best player in the world right now. Has the potential to raise a good, if not great, England squad to a different level.
    I am already ready to call it that Messi Vs Ronaldo has been replaced by Bellingham Vs Mbappe
    I reckon if Haaland played for a football superpower rather than Norway then discussion would be different.
    He's a very good finisher who plays for one of the best club teams of all time. But I think his game is much more limited than either Bellingham's or Mbappe's.
    So look at his record when not playing for an elite team. 27 goals for Norway in 28 appearances is well ahead of Kane 59 in 86, Ronaldo 127 in 203, Mbappe 42 in 72 or Messi 104 in 177. And for Red Bull Salzburg scored in his first five Champions League games (including Liverpool and Napoli away) as a teenager.

He is extremely effective in average and underdog teams, just as he is in a top team.
    But he needs the service. He was utterly ineffective at Arsenal last week and wasn’t the key to their success at the end of last season. The greats like Messi and Henry also provide service to others.
    That is his role at City, its a Guardiola tactical choice not a player limitation. How much service do you think he got playing for Salzburg in the Champions League against the big clubs?
    He bagged a hat trick against Genk and scored goals against Liverpool and Napoli, neither of which got past the last 16 that season.
    Another way of looking at it, he is Salzburgs all time top scorer in the Champions League with 8 goals. He only started 4 games for them and was sub in 2, all as a teenager, when not fully fit hence the sub starts.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I see Chris Williamson is in need of help.

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1714363673303556504
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I don't know if it is their general style, but there is generally a problem with 'X thing happened - says Y' style headlines or summaries for me.

I mean, it's not that I don't think people are going to be unable to get to the end of the sentence, most peopel should be able to manage it, it just seems like a weird order. And when in a headline it can be downright confusing, as sometimes they just have 'X happened' in quotations,and you have to click to find out who said it.
  • Options

The group is heading towards a shoot out in Germany between Ukraine and Italy for the final qualifying place.

Not a gimme for Italy by any means.

Hard to compare opponents in two different games, but if Ukraine do what they did to England (I assume a friendly crowd) that’s a really tricky game.
  • Options

The Trumpets would do the Scanners thing with their heads. They HATE GWB.
    Nothing more RINO than someone who was a Republican President for 8 years, the son of another Republican Present.
  • Options
    The Beeb is having a shocker. Another headline says "In the Occupied West Bank the ruling Palestinian Authority.. "
  • Options

nico679 said:

Not that unusual. India has the Communist Party of India, and the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
  • Options

Hundreds of people are feared dead after a huge blast at a hospital in Gaza City

Hamas have blamed an Israeli air strike for causing the explosion at the Al Ahli hospital

Israel denied its military was involved and said the blast was caused by rockets fired by Palestinian Islamic Jihad. The militants have also denied blame
    They've not long updated it then, I just took the screenshot on the page I had not long opened and that's what it said.

Glad its been updated, but disgraceful it was phrased that way in the first place.

New version is much more professional.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    dr_spyn said:

Full moonbat.
  • Options
    And that West Bank story is about demonstrations against Fatah's response to events in Gaza. I wonder what those peace-loving Palestinian civilians are demonstrating against.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547

The BBC is having a bad war. In fact, the BBC are just having a bad time of it generally at the moment. It is of their own making though so I have limited sympathy, just depressing to see its standards continue to plummet.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

18-19 identified groups militia/terrorist groups between Gaza, Lebanon, the Golan and West Bank. Some are distinct, others just names of associated units with larger groups.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

He's been beyond held for a long time. A nasty, vicious little man.

I don't see how people who are 'sensible' enough to stick to surface level peaceful messaging continue to think he's a fellow traveller.
  • Options
    Been watching the footie. Do we have a PB consensus on the Gaza Hospital strike, IDF or Hamas?
  • Options

Be fair to them. It happened after 5pm and the grown ups had probably already gone home, no reason to expect anything but a quiet night of news.
  • Options

Been watching the footie. Do we have a PB consensus on the Gaza Hospital strike, IDF or Hamas?

Definitely not IDF, they wouldn't be stupid enough to do something so counterproductive.
  • Options
    Al Jaz still going on about "Israeli strike" on hospital.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,716

Score draw at the moment but only 10 minutes played. BBC blew for full time after two minutes with Israel in the dock and is rowing back furiously ever since.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    kle4 said:

I don't know if it is their general style, but there is generally a problem with 'X thing happened - says Y' style headlines or summaries for me.

I mean, it's not that I don't think people are going to be unable to get to the end of the sentence, most peopel should be able to manage it, it just seems like a weird order. And when in a headline it can be downright confusing, as sometimes they just have 'X happened' in quotations,and you have to click to find out who said it.
    Totally agree. I hate it. The form is usually:

“Biggles is a massive ####: Kle4”.

It may or may not be true, but the clearer headline would be:

“Kle4 says Biggles is a massive ####”.

And it uses very few extra pixels.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Definitely not IDF, they wouldn't be stupid enough to do something so counterproductive.
    Our media these days are so weird. Imagine if in 1945 we had headlines like “Allied death camps in Poland, as reported by German army”.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    There can on less serious matters be some amusement to be had in seeing media outlets shift tone or phrasing on a story. You'd think after a while the first responding headline and summary writers would get a sense for what their bosses expect to see, yet either they don't or they like to test their bosses reaction times.

One that I recall was about an Osborne budget, which went from 'Osborne wields spending cuts axe' to something more like 'Chancellor announces spending cuts'. Subtle different, but significant.
  • Options
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been quoted by the Reuters news agency as saying "barbaric terrorists" are responsible for the blast at the hospital in Gaza.

...while...

Ismail Haniyeh, who is widely considered to be Hamas’s overall leader, says that the US is responsible for the attack on Al Ahli hospital – stressing that Washington gave Israel the “cover for its aggression”.
  • Options
    Has PB made its mind up then?

I am unconvinced that Hamas or "Islamic Jihad" are responsible here

Occam's razor says Nah. Israel is the country that is bombarding Gaza with a mighty air force every few minutes. Now a Gazan hospital gets smashed by an apparent aerial bombardment? Er, surely that is Israel?

I'm not ruling out a false flag or some jihadi accident but the onus is on Israel to prove they didn't do do it

It's like finding a plague caused by a nasty, new, bat-derived coronavirus started in the one city in the world with a lab dedicated to making new, nastier, bat-derived coronaviruses that might cause plagues. It is REALLY up to the lab to disprove its culpability

• Options

Hamas failed launch.

What I wonder is if the Hamas rockets struck munition stored in the hospital which caused secondary explosions and made it much more deadly than it could have been?
  • Options

Not yet.
  • Options

Peoples Front of Judea for me.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited October 2023
    TOPPING said:

The Beeb is having a shocker. Another headline says "In the Occupied West Bank the ruling Palestinian Authority.. "

I think that journalism has always been a bit crap, but it got away with it in the past because the only report available was that from the foreign correspondent. If they got it wrong nobody had anything to compare it with to spot any mistakes, or bias, or omissions.

Nowadays there is a barrage of information from the moment something happens, and whilst a lot of it will be misleading there are nuggets amongst the rubbish. You get real expert opinion at times, not just a journalist's poor reporting, and you get to see many more sources, even if they are amateur, to view an event from all sorts of points of view. What this shows is that initial reporting of anything is rarely very good, and all too often journalists do not correct the record when they are wrong.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

Our media these days are so weird. Imagine if in 1945 we had headlines like “Allied death camps in Poland, as reported by German army”.
    Vasily Blokhin has entered the chat.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been quoted by the Reuters news agency as saying "barbaric terrorists" are responsible for the blast at the hospital in Gaza.

...while...

Ismail Haniyeh, who is widely considered to be Hamas’s overall leader, says that the US is responsible for the attack on Al Ahli hospital – stressing that Washington gave Israel the “cover for its aggression”.

There’s a lot of Mandy Rice-Davies Applies with the quotes on this story, I’m afraid to say.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Yeah, it wasn’t Israel was it? They know by now and they are no longer stalling. The UN agency blamed them earlier didn’t they? Hmm.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Occam's razor says Nah. Israel is the country that is bombarding Gaza with a mighty air force every few minutes. Now a Gazan hospital gets smashed by an apparent aerial bombardment? Er, surely that is Israel?

I'm not ruling out a false flag or some jihadi accident but the onus is on Israel to prove they didn't do do it

It's like finding a plague caused by a nasty, new, bat-derived coronavirus started in the one city in the world with a lab dedicated to making new, nastier, bat-derived coronaviruses that might cause plagues. It is REALLY up to the lab to disprove its culpability

Not sure it matters what really happened. Israelis will believe it was the Palestinians, Palestinians will believe it was the Israelis, and the "impartial" are largely without influence.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

I think that journalism has always been a bit crap, but it got away with it in the past because the only report available was that from the foreign correspondent. If they got it wrong nobody had anything to compare it with to spot any mistakes, or bias, or ommissions.

Nowadays there is a barrage of information from the moment something happens, and whilst a lot of it will be misleading there are nuggets amongst the rubbish. You get real expert opinion at times, not just a journalist's poor reporting, and you get to see many more sources, even if they are amateur, to view an event from all sorts of points of view. What this shows is that initial reporting of anything is rarely very good, and all too often journalists do not correct the record when they are wrong.
    Also there was always a delay, often significant, days, to report on an event. Now with 24hr news cycle and tw@tter, too often they just publish what they read on from somebody supposedly reliable on the tw@tter machine, and then others who trust them, rinse and repeat.

Already seen it with the claim IDF said well we did say to evacuate.... That was originally from Al-Jazeera saying somebody told them the IDF said that, which quickly got re-tw@ttered as IDF said that.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Occam's razor says Hamas.

Hamas are firing rockets. Hamas rockets unlike Israel's are not precise and miss their target. A third of Hamas's launches land in Gaza, not Israel.

Who is going to accidentally hit a hospital? Occam's razor says Hamas - they fired rockets over the hospital, and a wayward one hit by mistake.

Oh and Al Jazeera had footage of the rockets being launched by Hamas, at a time that matches the explosion.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

lol

Liechtenstein’s definitely references the monarchy - funnily enough, it is to exactly the same melody.

The lusty singing in praise of the monarch is for three reasons: No-one is ever made to or expected to; the English do irony when most Johnny Foreigners don't know what it is; short and simple words and tune, more or less without any meaning at all.
    It's not exactly a banger of a track, but it's easy to remember, and sing in a crowd very clearly, and that's all that's needed.

I'd still rather listen to Italy's of course. The Soviets knew how to rock a good dirge too.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Not sure it matters what really happened. Israelis will believe it was the Palestinians, Palestinians will believe it was the Israelis, and the "impartial" are largely without influence.
    And a bunch others will go 'It's impossible to know, so give peace a chance', whilst winking at one option more than the other.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    I see PB has been having fun with the caps lock key today.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,188

NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN. HO HO HO.

Best one yet.

Can we stop now?
    A PITY. I HAVE MANY MORE. 😀
  • Options
    Leon said:

People who killed 1,500+ - many of them tortured - are very likely to go for a false flag if it gets people wondering if it was the Israelis that blew up a hospital.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Which ministry?
  • Options
    The sad thing is, I reckon this hospital horror will be forgotten within a week, because new and greater horrors await us

I wish I didn't think that, but I do. This is just the beginning
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

lol

It's not exactly a banger of a track, but it's easy to remember, and sing in a crowd very clearly, and that's all that's needed.

I'd still rather listen to Italy's of course. The Soviets knew how to rock a good dirge too.
    Italy’s must be the happiest. Reminds me of Schumacher F1 victories in his Ferrari as a kid.
  • Options

I'll take those collected responses as a "No, not really" then.

I just hope conclusive evidence comes out and that it is not some massive IDF f*ck up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    Leon said:

CatMan said:

Leon said:

lol

You know Charles III is really really Woke?
    He's not where it counts: architecture

I want him to personally approve every single housing development in the UK. Let a thousand Poundburys live, let new Nansledans rule the nation, fuck the Marxist modernist architects and the evil redbrick Barratt home wankers

Tradition. We used to be great at building towns and cities in this country. The key is Tradition. That is King Charles
    It would also distract him from pontificating wokely on other matters.
  • Options
    "Emanuel (Mannie) Fabian
    @manniefabian

Surveillance camera footage from Netiv Haasara shows a large barrage of rockets being launched from northern Gaza, followed by a massive blast in the Strip, apparently caused by a failed projectile."

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1714377828131553446
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s not a good comparison at all. Because in this case there’s more than one party doing gain of function in the same city.
  • Options
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

lol

Italy’s must be the happiest. Reminds me of Schumacher F1 victories in his Ferrari as a kid.
    Impressive that he won victories for Ferrari as a kid.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

Vasily Blokhin has entered the chat.
    The UK gov went along with the Stalin approved line on Katyn for quite a long time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Which ministry?
    "The Israeli bombing of the hospital has already triggered widespread condemnation in the international community."
  • Options

biggles said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

lol

Impressive that he won victories for Ferrari as a kid.
    I can save this one.

He did it first in his 20s, so I now think of him doing it as a kid. Clearly that’s what I meant.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

We aren't the combatants, the Nazis had their propoganda arm as much as we did in WW2 and as much as the Israeli and Palestinian media will have
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

That’s not a good comparison at all. Because in this case there’s more than one party doing gain of function in the same city.
    I agree. But I was trying to come up with an analogy that was interesting but not sickening. It is very hard in this instance, the war is so bestial
  • Options

Leon said:

People who killed 1,500+ - many of them tortured - are very likely to go for a false flag if it gets people wondering if it was the Israelis that blew up a hospital.
    Israel has killed 3,000+ since last weekend...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Official Israel SoS X account has removed the video they originally posted to show it was a Hamas rocket after someone noted the timestamp didn't match up to the timeline.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Which ministry?
    Of Sound.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

SNAPE DIES IN BOOK SIX.
    No he doesn't.
    NO SPOILERS PLEASE. I’M STILL ONLY READING BOOK FIVE!
  • Options
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

lol

I remember him doing a little hand conducting for the pit crew (I think he may have been told to stop for some reason), fun times.
  • Options

RobD said:

Which ministry?
    "The Israeli bombing of the hospital has already triggered widespread condemnation in the international community."
    That’s a strange name for a ministry.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

IT WAS MOSTLY ME. I WAS TRYING TO INJECT HUMOUR IN AN UNPLEASANT TIME. IT WOULD HAVE WORKED IF I HAD REMEMBERED TO INCLUDE THE "HUMOUR" BIT 😀
    Have you seen many comedians? Humour can be pretty optional.

(Actually that's unfair of me, I have not seen most stand up in a long long time).
  • Options
    moonshine said:

IDF formally blame it on Islamic Jihad. I wonder what Sleepy Joe will say tomorrow

President Biden will say Israel has moved on from blaming everything on Hamas. Except for the actual saying that out loud part.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,469
    Pulpstar said:

Official Israel SoS X account has removed the video they originally posted to show it was a Hamas rocket after someone noted the timestamp didn't match up to the timeline.

Does anyone actually know when the hospital was hit?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

IT WAS MOSTLY ME. I WAS TRYING TO INJECT HUMOUR IN AN UNPLEASANT TIME. IT WOULD HAVE WORKED IF I HAD REMEMBERED TO INCLUDE THE "HUMOUR" BIT 😀
    It is possible for someone's keyboard to get stuck on caps lock. Let's not forget that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Which ministry?
    "An Israeli air strike has hit al-Ahli hospital in Gaza City where thousands of civilians are seeking medical treatment and shelter from relentless attacks."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/10/16/israel-hamas-war-live-iran-warns-resistance-front-may-attack
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

It is possible for someone's keyboard to get stuck on caps lock. Let's not forget that.
    It's also possible to write not in caps even if the caps lock is stuck on.
  • Options
    Hizbollah declared Wednesday “a day of unprecedented anger” against Israel and US President Joe Biden’s visit to the country.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

How many of them were tortured?

How many of them were Hamas torturers?
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

I agree. But I was trying to come up with an analogy that was interesting but not sickening. It is very hard in this instance, the war is so bestial
    I know it’s hard but I’d recommend not consuming too much of the detail. It only serves to dehumanise.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Which ministry?
    "An Israeli air strike has hit al-Ahli hospital in Gaza City where thousands of civilians are seeking medical treatment and shelter from relentless attacks."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/10/16/israel-hamas-war-live-iran-warns-resistance-front-may-attack
    It’s obvious why you aren’t answering the question.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058
    Breaking news. Government appoints Hannah Ingram-Moore as Head of Procurement.
  • Options
    Roles reversed. This time it is PB saying wait for the evidence and Jeremy Corbyn has blamed Israel.
  • Options

moonshine said:

IDF formally blame it on Islamic Jihad. I wonder what Sleepy Joe will say tomorrow

President Biden will say Israel has moved on from blaming everything on Hamas. Except for the actual saying that out loud part.
    Does America have new toys it wants to test? It’s been a while since the militaryindustrial establishment got to road test their new stuff. Ukraine is largely getting the dregs from the Vietnam war era. Once a decade is my usual metronome for them to do so.
  • Options
    Indians slam ‘unapologetic Islamophobia’ aimed at Pakistan’s cricket team

The Ahmedabad crowd’s hostile behaviour and ‘Islamophobic’ chants targeting Pakistan’s cricket team have trigged criticism in India.

https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2023/10/16/india-pakistan-ahmedabad-crowd-islamophobia-icc-cricket-world-cup
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    edited October 2023
    I just can’t believe Israel would target this hospital knowing the ramifications. So either there was a malfunction or this was a malfunction from rockets fired from Gaza .

The thing that I do find strange is how a the malfunction just happened to hit of all places a hospital .

So then we could be reaching a horrific conclusion that the hospital was targeted purposely .

I see no motive for Israel to target this hospital , what exactly would they gain .

So it’s either an accident or a false flag by terrorists in Gaza .

• Options

Leon said:

How many of them were tortured?

How many of them were Hamas torturers?
    3,000+ civilians...
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

I know it’s hard but I’d recommend not consuming too much of the detail. It only serves to dehumanise.
    I've been actively avoiding it today, and feel better as a result

The world is too much with us
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192
    West Bank rioting as a response to the hospital tragedy, trigger quick to blame the IDF. BBC news inclined to go along with this: "devasting strike", "attack" etc.
    We'll see when the dust settles, but it'll be too late to undo the reactions
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Pulpstar said:

I'm keeping an open mind for now and I'm wary of fake news, but if it's true that they gave a warning to evacuate the hospital, and the rocket story isn't so far standing up, then it's starting to look like Israel being responsible. There ought to be conclusive satellite evidence, though?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    nico679 said:

I just can’t believe Israel would target this hospital knowing the ramifications. So either there was a malfunction or this was a malfunction from rockets fired from Gaza .

The thing that I do find strange is how a the malfunction just happened to hit of all places a hospital .

Its worth noting that 30% of rockets fired from Hamas fail to get out of Gaza, and at the moment they are firing them morning, noon and night. They are hitting their own side every day.

And on the other side, the guided missiles do go wrong. It could be there was a target close by (which Hamas are well known for).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's bollocks

Israel did this, I fear. We need really solid proof they didn't, because they are the ones bombing Gaza relentlessly and this looks like yet another bomb on Gaza. It is that simple
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

glw said:

TOPPING said:

I think that journalism has always been a bit crap, but it got away with it in the past because the only report available was that from the foreign correspondent. If they got it wrong nobody had anything to compare it with to spot any mistakes, or bias, or ommissions.

Also there was always a delay, often significant, days, to report on an event. Now with 24hr news cycle and tw@tter, too often they just publish what they read on from somebody supposedly reliable on the tw@tter machine, and then others who trust them, rinse and repeat.

Already seen it with the claim IDF said well we did say to evacuate.... That was originally from Al-Jazeera saying somebody told them the IDF said that, which quickly got re-tw@ttered as IDF said that.
    OK - fake news then?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,000

I'll take those collected responses as a "No, not really" then.

I just hope conclusive evidence comes out and that it is not some massive IDF f*ck up.
    I don't think any evidence is going to change the minds of the convinced.

Rioting in Ramallah against the Palestinian Authority, and big protests in Hebron Beirut, Istanbul and Amman. Biden is landing in a hot zone.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's bollocks

Israel did this, I fear. We need really solid proof they didn't, because they are the ones bombing Gaza relentlessly and this looks like yet another bomb on Gaza. It is that simple
    Or simplistic

This discussion has been closed.