Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polling chart that won’t help Sunak keep his job – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited October 2023 in General
imageThe polling chart that won’t help Sunak keep his job – politicalbetting.com

At the weekend yet another pollster, Opinium, came out with Sunak’s ratings in sharp decline and there is little doubt that Rishi is struggling with public opinion. The chart says it all with the PM’s net rating down to minus 30%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    First like Labour next GE!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Peter Bone maybe ?

Oh.
  • Options
    "Not another one!" Brenda from Bristol :lol:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,694
    FPT
    Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

It would certainly be intellectually dishonest to claim that "from the River to the Sea" means anything other than mass killing of Jews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_River_to_the_Sea

I mean, the history of that phrase is not one of exterminationist intent. "Palestine will be free / From the river to the sea" specifically is considered to come from the refusal to accept the partition of the land and the creation of the separate states - not a claim about exterminating Jewish people in the land at all.
    History of the phrase is irrelevant - its what it has come to mean that counts.
    I mean if the phrase has a continual usage not related to exterminationist views, which it has, I think it is quite relevant when making the claim that it would be "intellectually dishonest to claim [it] means anything other than the mass killing of Jews". Again, because I also know many Jewish people happy to chant it who understand it to mean no such thing!
    "Many". Those are very much outliers.
    It does not make their views less valid.
    And indeed only viewing the "right" kinds of Jewish people as being "real" Jews is a big problem (especially in the Labour party):

https://jewishcurrents.org/the-jews-expelled-from-labour-over-antisemitism
    Labour had a genuine problem with anti-semitism under Corbyn. For a time I even had a local Labour councillor (Hightown, Luton) who was an admirer of Hitler (and former Anti-Racism Officer at Warwick University). People like that thought Labour was their home.
    Were there some anti-Semitic Labour party members? Yes. Was it institutionally racist - perhaps. Is throwing out left wing Jewish people who criticise Israel because that is apparently anti-Semitic actually sincere policing of anti-Semitism? No.

I would also argue all political parties have anti-Semites in, and bigots of other kinds, and that British culture is inherently anti-Semitic. I would also point to the many people who have noted that Conservative anti-Muslim prejudices are not treated with any seriousness, to the point where ex Tory ministers and members of the EHRC have mentioned it - with no mainstream acceptance that it is an issue or that Islamophobia is bad.
    I would disagree absolutely with the assertion that British culture is inherently anti-Semitic in either the specific (Jewish) or general (including Arabic and other ME cultures) definitions. And having travelled very extensively throughout Europe and the Middle East for the last 35 years it is always a relief to come back to a country where overt anti-Jewish or anti-Arabic sentiment is so rare and so quickly condemned.
    Anit-Semitic tropes are still pretty common at low levels amongst the British public. I wouldn't say there are many "hard-core" anti-Semites (holocaust denial, raging hatred of Jews, etc.) but the tropey stuff (Jewish people are greedy, insular, dual loyalty) alongside how much general conspiracism ends up leading to anti-Semitic views.
    Who are you talking to for goodness sake? This does not match my experience of British life.
    No, on this rare occasion @148grss is right

There IS a low level anti-Semitism in British society. Fortunately, nearly all of the time it remains exactly that - a quiet background murmur of tiny slurs, about them being clannish, cunning and wealthy. it's not just Britain. You can find it in almost every western society, if not all around the world

But other groups experience the same - blacks, Muslims, rich whites, poor whites (chavs!), gays, the English in Scotland, it is human nature

What makes anti-Semitism troubling amongst these many prejudices is that in certain groups it (uniquely?) metamorphosises into a potentially violent hatred - on the far right, the Corbynite left, and within radical Islam
    For me the most shocking act of antisemitism from a current/past party leader during my lifetime wasn't anything Corbyn said but when Harold MacMillan said about Thatcher appointing so many Jews to her cabinet was

'The thing about Margaret’s Cabinet is that it includes more Old Estonians than it does Old Etonians.'

I am generally a fan of SuperMac but eesh.
    Is that anti-Semitic or just clever wordplay expressing a truth? It can be viewed either way. Tricky one

Corbyn's shite is much worse. The mural? Really? He didn't notice? What a load of bollocks
    A lot of pre-war novels can make you wince a bit, when you read stuff about Jews.

“The room was full of Jews, of the wrong sort.”

“He could not endure his girl marrying this swarthy son of Judah, whose father was likely selling matchsticks in Whitechapel.”

“Mark my words. Behind every conspiracy, there’s a little white-faced Jew, with an eye like a rattlesnake.”
    Yes. And of course that famous poem by T S Eliot

Burbank With A Baedeker
    Bleistein With A Cigar

A lustreless protrusive eye
    Stares from the protozoic slime
    At a perspective of Canaletto.
    The smoky candle end of time

Declines. On the Rialto once.
    The rats are underneath the piles.
    The jew is underneath the lot

I find much by Evelyn Waugh very funny, but he included some awful slurs (mainly directed at blacks).
    It's interesting to speculate how this will pan out in future, ie what is it that we casually think and do now, which our descendants will find bewilderingly wrong? Because this moral evolution always happens

I suspect our treatment of animals will come under scrutiny. From keeping pets to factory farming

But maybe that's fairly obvious. What else?
    Good question. I'd suggest where the wokists lead the rest of us follow but I know you won't want to hear that.

But, my god, the massive shift in public opinion over my lifetime (63 years) in the areas of diversity and inclusion, race, homosexuality, sexism, the treatment of animals, class prejudice, and - particularly noticeable to me - disability...

That massive shift has all been towards a kinder, gentler, more accepting society.

(And yes I know there are plenty of challenges still left, plenty of areas of improvement, areas of the world not seeing these benefits, and risks that we in the West could through this freedom away. But on the long view there has been enormous progress - no reason why it cannot continue if we will it.)
    I’m not at all convinced that society is kinder than in 1960.

The same old cruelties, same old scandals, same old attitudes, come up again and again, even if they are repackaged in different form.
    Nah. I think society and culture are both a lot more tolerant and understanding of difference.

So it is not Moorcock's Dancers at the Time but is is still a hell of at lot more diverse and welcoming of diversity than it was even when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s
    I think society is much more tolerant of difference in some ways (racial, gender, transgender, clothing, etc.) but less tolerant in other ways (opinions, some anti-social habits such as littering or drunk driving, etc.). There's also much less deference to strangers than there used to be.
    What do you mean by less deference to strangers?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Yes the Tories may get more seats with Mordaunt as leader.
    The issue is they wouldn't get her as leader.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302
    Was there a fatal terror attack in Hartlepool - and no one noticed?!

The Sun
    @TheSun
    ·
    4h
    Man arrested after bloodbath at hostel in Hartlepool – as anti-terror cops launch probe

https://thesun.co.uk/news/24411027/man-killed-arrest-made-double-stabbing-hartlepool-counter-terror/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunmaintwitter&utm_source=Twitter

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    FPT
    theakes said:

Looks as if Labour appear to be in trouble at Mid Beds, Lib Dems seem confident they have seen them off.

Well you would claim that, wouldn't you?

I have just checked your posting history. On nearly every day for several weeks it seems you have submitted a post ramping up the Lib Dems' chances in Mid Beds, and relatively little on anything else. I think you're taking us for fools. It's almost like you're a Putinbot operating from Lib Dem HQ.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

But which different leader? It's all very well speculating about Penny Morduant, and were there a vacancy she may well win. But then again, she may not. It could be a nutcase or chancer or ideological zealot. But I repeat myself.

Tory MPs have no idea what number is going to come up if they roll the leadership dice and dumping Sunak will only help if his replacement can clearly do a better job. Firstly, can someone do a better job of both articulating an attractive vision and running a government, and secondly, if there is such a person (or such people) what are their chances of winning and what are the risks if they don't?

I think that barring an almighty screw-up over a particular issue, Sunak is there for the duration now. It's just too disruptive and too risky for too little return to change leader yet again - particularly when running a leadership contest is, of itself, likely to hit Tory polling merely for the navel-gazing.

The problem is not the leader; the problem is the party.

No more leadership changes. Time to crack on with the election now! Budget March 2024 then GE May 2024 aligned with local elections. Let's not drag it out any further!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    Leon said:

Was there a fatal terror attack in Hartlepool - and no one noticed?!

The Sun
    @TheSun
    ·
    4h
    Man arrested after bloodbath at hostel in Hartlepool – as anti-terror cops launch probe

https://thesun.co.uk/news/24411027/man-killed-arrest-made-double-stabbing-hartlepool-counter-terror/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunmaintwitter&utm_source=Twitter

From the reporting, sounds more like mental illness than terror. Terrorists choose their victims, they travel long distances and strike where they can cause the most damage and fear.

Mentally ill people strike out at the first people they see, which seems to have been the case here.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

But which different leader? It's all very well speculating about Penny Morduant, and were there a vacancy she may well win. But then again, she may not. It could be a nutcase or chancer or ideological zealot. But I repeat myself.

Tory MPs have no idea what number is going to come up if they roll the leadership dice and dumping Sunak will only help if his replacement can clearly do a better job. Firstly, can someone do a better job of both articulating an attractive vision and running a government, and secondly, if there is such a person (or such people) what are their chances of winning and what are the risks if they don't?

I think that barring an almighty screw-up over a particular issue, Sunak is there for the duration now. It's just too disruptive and too risky for too little return to change leader yet again - particularly when running a leadership contest is, of itself, likely to hit Tory polling merely for the navel-gazing.

It's time.

Her time.

• Options

FPT

theakes said:

Looks as if Labour appear to be in trouble at Mid Beds, Lib Dems seem confident they have seen them off.

I have just checked your posting history. On nearly every day for several weeks it seems you have submitted a post ramping up the Lib Dems' chances in Mid Beds, and relatively little on anything else. I think you're taking us for fools. It's almost like you're a Putinbot operating from Lib Dem HQ.
    Yes, this poster is an irritant. A Liberal troll deliberately trying to shift the markets IMO.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Sunak hasn't helped but the damage that 'was done and cannot be undone' was caused by Johnson and Brexit. Both will live in the memory long after the next election
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

It's time.

Her time.

Was this covered already?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/15/liz-truss-growth-commission-alternative-growth-budget/

"Liz Truss task force to challenge Treasury orthodoxy with alternative ‘Growth Budget’"
  • Options

It's time.

Her time.

49 days of the Truss not enough for you? :lol:
  • Options

No more leadership changes. Time to crack on with the election now! Budget March 2024 then GE May 2024 aligned with local elections. Let's not drag it out any further!
    Will you be voting for Sir Keir this time Pubman?
  • Options
    Has anyone got a link that works for the latest Opinium poll? The link on the wiki "Opinion Polling for the Next GE" site just references to a deleted X page.
  • Options
    Can't see any mention of the Deltapoll findings.

Lab: 47% (+4)
    Con: 27% (-1)
    LibDem: 10% (-2%)

Fieldwork 13th-16th October.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited October 2023

I don't believe a PM will call an election when double-digits behind in the polls if they can credibly go longer.

The Budget won't change anything. A steady-as-she-goes one will make no impact; a radical tax-cutting one might unsettle the markets and even if it doesn't, will completely cut across everything Sunak's been saying since the 2022 leadership elections and will be so transparently cynical that it won't work (and Sunak will not be able to defend it in interviews because he's commendably rubbish at lying).

Also, calling an election in March will be right off the back of a really serious NHS winter, which will have been all over the media.
  • Options

Definite Starmer bounce and he is taking Lib Dem votes by the looks of it

https://twitter.com/DeltapollUK/status/1713917188363468986?t=rI2BNOfVrYrytBqSTMwYkA&s=19
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

It's time.

Her time.

It never was clear whether sales of heated loo seats went up or down after this.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,326
    edited October 2023

Has anyone got a link that works for the latest Opinium poll? The link on the wiki "Opinion Polling for the Next GE" site just references to a deleted X page.

EDIT: Actually, scrub that
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

FPT

theakes said:

Or someone who has a LibDem betting position they went to lay off
  • Options

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1713310334348345438?t=dHvh94tjqFVQ-AVYXv4-zQ&s=19
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

Thanks.
    Have you appropriated the Tories' username?
  • Options

I shall be sticking with CON even though they are useless. I am not voting LAB. Proper Conservative policies and principles (not necessarily in line with what we are seeing at the moment) are closest to my political beliefs.

But I fully expect a LAB win and almost certainly an overall majority.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited October 2023
    Roger said:

Sunak hasn't helped but the damage that 'was done and cannot be undone' was caused by Johnson and Brexit. Both will live in the memory long after the next election
    We left the EU in January 2020, and the Conservatives were ahead in the polls for much of the following couple of years, or only slightly behind, so it wasn't that or Boris.

No, the problem was Liz Truss, who transformed normal mid-term unpopularity into a 20-point deficit, from which Sunak hasn't recovered, and from which he seems to lack the political skills to recover. Though given rapidly falling living standards, rising and general exhaustion, I think even Tony Blair in his prime would have difficulty being popular at the moment.
  • Options
    Judging from today's i ("Third of Tory voters want general election by spring", page 4), there's an incoming BMG political poll, fieldwork 11th-12th October. But nothing in the paper or on their website yet with actual voting intention figures.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1713310334348345438?t=dHvh94tjqFVQ-AVYXv4-zQ&s=19
    Lab 44 (+2)
    Con 28 (-1)
    LDs 10 (-1)

11-13 Oct
  • Options
    Oh, well. Broken, sleazy Tories AND LibDems on the slide!
  • Options

Thanks.
    Have you appropriated the Tories' username?
    You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options

Thanks, but I was really after a source for the detailed tables.
  • Options

It's time.

Her time.

49 days of the Truss not enough for you? :lol:
    49 illustrious days in our nation's history.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

I don't believe a PM will call an election when double-digits behind in the polls if they can credibly go longer.

The Budget won't change anything. A steady-as-she-goes one will make no impact; a radical tax-cutting one might unsettle the markets and even if it doesn't, will completely cut across everything Sunak's been saying since the 2022 leadership elections and will be so transparently cynical that it won't work (and Sunak will not be able to defend it in interviews because he's commendably rubbish at lying).

Also, calling an election in March will be right off the back of a really serious NHS winter, which will have been all over the media.
    I think it depends - do the Tories want to continue to be in government (whilst not really governing) or would they prefer to grip the nettle firmly? I don't see how Sunak can possibly make things better - but he can keep making things worse...
  • Options

I shall be sticking with CON even though they are useless. I am not voting LAB. Proper Conservative policies and principles (not necessarily in line with what we are seeing at the moment) are closest to my political beliefs.

But I fully expect a LAB win and almost certainly an overall majority.
    Fair enough – thx for the reply
  • Options
    Roger said:

You're not giving enough credit to Truss (and giving too much to Brexit, which remains popular enough to enough people that it could keep the Tories in the game were it not for everything else).

Johnson was Johnson. Enough people could write him off as sui generis that had the Tories reverted to something normal, they'd have been forgiven his behaviour. The point of no return came when Truss blew everything up - not just because she did but because Tory MPs and members were willing to back her, despite her nonsense; indeed, because of her nonsense. They own that.
  • Options

Fair enough but hanging on to Oct 2024 could be seen as desperate.

And Jan 2025 as really really desperate!
  • Options

Not uploaded yet but will appear here.

https://www.opinium.com/polling-tables-archive/
  • Options

It's time.

Her time.

Was this covered already?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/15/liz-truss-growth-commission-alternative-growth-budget/

"Liz Truss task force to challenge Treasury orthodoxy with alternative ‘Growth Budget’"
    She tried that in September 2022.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    edited October 2023

It's time.

Her time.

Phwoar
  • Options
    148grss said:

I think it depends - do the Tories want to continue to be in government (whilst not really governing) or would they prefer to grip the nettle firmly? I don't see how Sunak can possibly make things better - but he can keep making things worse...
    They want to not lose. And if the choice is between losing now and maybe losing later, they'll choose later.

In terms of polling, while Sunak's ratings have dropped markedly, the overall picture hasn't: Labour has retained a lead in the mid- to high-teens for about a year now. I don't think things will automatically get worse for the Tories. They may but then again they may not - and politicians tend to be an optimistic lot.
  • Options
    Donald Trump is preparing to give evidence at the High Court in London to deny hiring prostitutes, holding sex parties and bribing Russian officials.

The former president of the United States is using data protection laws to sue a London-based intelligence consultancy founded by a former MI6 agent who produced a dossier of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Hugh Tomlinson KC, Trump’s lawyer, told the court that his client “brings this case because he seeks vindication of his legal rights”.

Trump wants to prove that the “shocking and scandalous claims about [his] personal conduct” are false and “intends to discharge that burden by giving evidence in this court”, he added.

Christopher Steele, 59, who ran the Secret Intelligence Service’s Russia desk before co-founding Orbis Business Intelligence, was in court for the preliminary hearing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/donald-trump-sue-british-spy-christopher-steele-dossier-court-trial-jqt7h6cxq
  • Options
    148grss said:

There is a case to be made for biting the bullet and going to the country. Let Labour take the heat from next year onwards and see their ratings tank as they fail (or are unable) to deliver any change.

The earlier that you're kicked out of office, the earlier that you can expect to return to office.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356
    Fishing said:

Roger said:

We left the EU in January 2020, and the Conservatives were ahead in the polls for much of the following couple of years, or only slightly behind, so it wasn't that or Boris.

No, the problem was Liz Truss, who transformed normal mid-term unpopularity into a 20-point deficit, from which Sunak hasn't recovered, and from which he seems to lack the political skills to recover. Though given rapidly falling living standards, rising and general exhaustion, I think even Tony Blair in his prime would have difficulty being popular at the moment.
    It's the combination of them all. Brexit has lost the Tories a tranche of voters they used to be quite good at tapping into - namely fairly liberal working age professionals. Partly because of Brexit, partly due to housing and wage stagnation, they are now voting with similar patterns as students. They are just lost to the Tories - possibly for a generation or more. Which means the Tories have to do better with everyone else. They sort of were with those getting towards pension age, and leave voters pre-Partygate and then Truss. But now have lost popularity with those people due to those things, and Brexit declining as a positive sell even for those who voted for it. "We Got Brexit Done" can increasingly be met with "Yeah, but you messed it up". A perfect storm of annoying different groups of people.
  • Options
    On topic, Sunak's a duffer.

The most charitable thing you can say about him is that he's not as shit as his two immediate predecessors.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Isn't stating there's "less deference to strangers" another way of saying people are more prone to tribalism and echo chambers?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

On topic, Sunak's a duffer.

The most charitable thing you can say about him is that he's not as shit as his two immediate predecessors.

Rishi says "hold my Coke"...
  • Options

148grss said:

They want to not lose. And if the choice is between losing now and maybe losing later, they'll choose later.

In terms of polling, while Sunak's ratings have dropped markedly, the overall picture hasn't: Labour has retained a lead in the mid- to high-teens for about a year now. I don't think things will automatically get worse for the Tories. They may but then again they may not - and politicians tend to be an optimistic lot.
    Sure, but they're going to lose. So it depends on how you want to lose - on your terms or when you have to? If they call it early they may (although it's unlikely) catch Labour or the LDs with their trousers down. If they hang on until the end, they look desperate. And, of course, if they do it too close to the locals but not actually on the locals then they will cost local councils a lot of money for no real good reason.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Roger said:

I agree with your gist, although you're understating the polling deficit under Truss which was pushing 30% at one point and from which Sunak recovered a bit initially before stalling at current levels.

There has been polling on the effect of comparative leaders, by More in Common.

See

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/08/18/what-would-be-happening-if-corbyn-was-still-lab-leader/

When I looked at the data tables then available, I found that, as well as Corbyn, More in Common also asked about Johnson in the same poll and found that the polling deficit that Johnson would have generated would have been significantly smaller than with Sunak as PM. But the data now seems to have been removed from their tables. Maybe there's still something on X?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,003
    edited October 2023

Are you sure?
  • Options

148grss said:

There is a case to be made for biting the bullet and going to the country. Let Labour take the heat from next year onwards and see their ratings tank as they fail (or are unable) to deliver any change.

The earlier that you're kicked out of office, the earlier that you can expect to return to office.
    You think it makes a difference that the Tories will have been in office for 14 years in May, rather than 14.5 years in the autumn?

Anyway, even if Labour does become unpopular - at they probably will, though they're finally putting a positive platform together - there's no guarantee the public will return to the Tories. That's what Labour banked on in 2010-15. And that's assuming the Tories don't go completely bananas in opposition, which is what most parties who've been in government a long time tend to.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Are you sure?
    Yes, he's not personally sleazy as say Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Sunak is proving very poor as leader, having bizarrely and unnecessarily trashed his own brand, but switching would be even worse. It's not as though there's a David Cameron waiting in the wings with lots of support in the party and amongst MPs. Even if they had a less bad candidate than Sunak, they wouldn't unite around him or her.

As for Penny Mordaunt, let's not forget just how abysmal she was when she did stand in the leadership contest. Admittedly Liz Truss was even worse, and that didn't seem to be a barrier to her becoming leader, but in terms of improving their electoral chances, the party would be mad to even think about it.

They are done up like a kipper, as it were.
  • Options

Not uploaded yet but will appear here.

https://www.opinium.com/polling-tables-archive/
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    The next leader will probably be Kemi Badenoch imo.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Roger said:

Truss screwed the coalition of Brexiteers and people with a financial interest in low interest rates by appealing to neither and going for free market libertarians, who are a very small number of mostly rich / media people.

As soon as mortgage interest rates got hit and inflation hit, that upset most people in the coalition.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    Andy_JS said:

Or Braverman.

• Options

Sunak is proving very poor as leader, having bizarrely and unnecessarily trashed his own brand, but switching would be even worse. It's not as though there's a David Cameron waiting in the wings with lots of support in the party and amongst MPs. Even if they had a less bad candidate than Sunak, they wouldn't unite around him or her.

As for Penny Mordaunt, let's not forget just how abysmal she was when she did stand in the leadership contest. Admittedly Liz Truss was even worse, and that didn't seem to be a barrier to her becoming leader, but in terms of improving their electoral chances, the party would be mad to even think about it.

CCHQ scripting Rishi as ersatz Boris, one suspects.
  • Options

What do you think he did specifically to trash his brand? I tend to be in agreement, but am interested in other people's takes.
  • Options

Although I still think October is more likely, I do agree May is very much the value bet at 5-1.

The Budget, even though it can't be an immediate giveaway, could set a programme of tax cuts over several years with some rabbits out of the hat on IHT etc. It's a decent set-piece to go into an election on "this is all only possible if you give Rishi a mandate..."

Furthermore, the May local elections are likely to be really bad, partly because the Tories have a high base from 2021 (about half of which were deferred from 2020 due to COVID). The news today suggests that, while Bone might fight the dying of the light for a while, there's a by-election coming in Wellingborough, and there may always be more to cause a nuisance.

As you say, the longer it goes on, the more the cries of "chicken" grow louder.

The obvious thing against that is a large Labour poll lead. But Theresa May knows polling leads can be a bit deceptive, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sunak got a bit of credit for going in the Spring despite the polling position, and found himself with at least a little momentum.
  • Options
    Let's Get Britain's Future Back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg5m7j7e-N4

Labour's new 1-minute video shows Keir Starmer standing up, sitting down, and walking around.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Roger said:

I agree with your gist, although you're understating the polling deficit under Truss which was pushing 30% at one point and from which Sunak recovered a bit initially before stalling at current levels.

See

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/08/18/what-would-be-happening-if-corbyn-was-still-lab-leader/

When I looked at the data tables then available, I found that, as well as Corbyn, More in Common also asked about Johnson in the same poll and found that the polling deficit that Johnson would have generated would have been significantly smaller than with Sunak as PM. But the data now seems to have been removed from their tables. Maybe there's still something on X?
    PS. Found it now, I posted on the above thread back on 18th August

"The headline More in Common VI with Sunak and Starmer as leaders is:
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    LD 11%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 3%

Apply the net change found if Corbyn were to replace Starmer and you would get
    Lab 34% (-10)
    Con 36% (+7)
    LD 15% (+4)
    Ref 6%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 3%

Incidentally, More in Common also asked about the impact if Johnson not Sunak were Conservative leader and found that the Labour lead under Starmer would fall by 6%. The gloss really has worn off Sunak."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Labour's new 1-minute video shows Keir Starmer standing up, sitting down, and walking around.

No helicopters, though. Definitely a bonus five for that.
  • Options

Although I still think October is more likely, I do agree May is very much the value bet at 5-1.

The Budget, even though it can't be an immediate giveaway, could set a programme of tax cuts over several years with some rabbits out of the hat on IHT etc. It's a decent set-piece to go into an election on "this is all only possible if you give Rishi a mandate..."

Furthermore, the May local elections are likely to be really bad, partly because the Tories have a high base from 2021 (about half of which were deferred from 2020 due to COVID). The news today suggests that, while Bone might fight the dying of the light for a while, there's a by-election coming in Wellingborough, and there may always be more to cause a nuisance.

The obvious thing against that is a large Labour poll lead. But Theresa May knows polling leads can be a bit deceptive, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sunak got a bit of credit for going in the Spring despite the polling position, and found himself with at least a little momentum.
    Somebody recently pointed out to me the huge problem of an October 2024 election.

The campaign would feature the anniversaries of the Liz Truss premiership, Labour's grid would write itself.
  • Options

Yes - using the Budget to offer 'future things that you will only get if you stick with us' is entirely plausible and could form part of the content of a manifesto.
  • Options

Roger said:

You're not giving enough credit to Truss (and giving too much to Brexit, which remains popular enough to enough people that it could keep the Tories in the game were it not for everything else).

Johnson was Johnson. Enough people could write him off as sui generis that had the Tories reverted to something normal, they'd have been forgiven his behaviour. The point of no return came when Truss blew everything up - not just because she did but because Tory MPs and members were willing to back her, despite her nonsense; indeed, because of her nonsense. They own that.
    I think the country would have been happy to give Johnson a chance. All they wanted from him was to steer a straight course and for Brexit to be relatively successful or at least not to appear to have failed dismally.

The country feels rudderless and hopeless right now. It felt like this before the Truss debacle. and there's no evidence that had Sunak replaced Johnson we would feel any better towards the Tory Party than we do now
  • Options

Mid-Nov seems most likely to me - that gives Sunak the chance to call it from, or immediately after, the Tory party conference, using the early Sept session for wash-up of anything still outstanding (which isn't likely to be much anyway). Conference makes for as decent a launch-pad as they could hope for, while also potentially messing up Labour's, if it comes last again like this year's (does it?). And it gives a summer's break beforehand where political things are less likely to go wrong.
  • Options

What do you think he did specifically to trash his brand? I tend to be in agreement, but am interested in other people's takes.
    His brand was a period of calm and sober leadership after the chaos of Johnson and Truss. Set out some goals at the start of the year, and hail your successes at the end of it. A welcome return to politics as usual - boring, stable, reassuring.

But the polls looked bad and the promises looked shaky, so he switched to a populist appeal which he doesn't really have the charisma to carry off, and that is completely at odds with Sunak Mk.1.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited October 2023
    I doubt there’s anyone in the Commons who can turn this round for the Tories, the damage is done

Even if there were some untapped talent waiting in the wings, a fourth PM in one parliament is beyond ludicrous. Personally I think there should be a GE if the party in charge decide to change leader
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

If it were Joe Biden that would be quite impressive.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2023

His brand was a period of calm and sober leadership after the chaos of Johnson and Truss. Set out some goals at the start of the year, and hail your successes at the end of it. A welcome return to politics as usual - boring, stable, reassuring.

But the polls looked bad and the promises looked shaky, so he switched to a populist appeal which he doesn't really have the charisma to carry off, and that is completely at odds with Sunak Mk.1.
    The problem is people aren't really in the mood for this keep calm and carry on as before, which can easily be precieved as managed decline. Even before COVID there were reasons for rise of Corbyn vs May's similar "boring approach".

Boris managed to the BS of I won't be a typical Tory, I am going to spend spend spend, throw money at levelling up, haaazzaahh.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I liked it! It said nothing. No one fell over. Was up-beat and the music was catchy.

What more do you want?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731
    edited October 2023
    Sturgeon's denies being SNP's Liz Truss as she eclipses Yousaf at conference

https://x.com/HTScotPol/status/1713914933560180846?s=20
  • Options

- Appointing Suella Braverman as Home Sec
    - Continuing with the Rwanda nonsense
    - Compounding this by campaigning on 'Stop the Boats' when he hasn't and won't
    - Cancelling (if he actually has!) a huge infrastructure project in an announcement which seems to have been put together on the back of a fag packet in a hotel room in Manchester and which fell apart within 24 hours
    - Totally mishandling the Net Zero issue, where the decisions may have been rational but the presentation made them look arbitrary and irrational
    - Announcing plans for education which are clearly not thought out and which will never happen

He was meant to bring stability and properly-considered policy making. Instead the chaos has continued.
    Question is- was there ever anything to back up that image of stability and properly-considered policy, or was it just wishcasting?

See Eat Out to Help Covid Out.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2023

- Cancelling (if he actually has!) a huge infrastructure project in an announcement which seems to have been put together on the back of a fag packet in a hotel room in Manchester and which fell apart within 24 hours
    - Totally mishandling the Net Zero issue, where the decisions may have been rational but the presentation made them look arbitrary and irrational
    - Announcing plans for education which are clearly not thought out and which will never happen

He was meant to bring stability and properly-considered policy making. Instead the chaos has continued.
    Question is- was there ever anything to back up that image of stability and properly-considered policy, or was it just wishcasting?

Furlough scheme was good, albeit went on far too long.
  • Options

It's time.

Her time.

Phwoar
    David Byrne called. He wants his trousers back.... and also asked "What the absolute f**k????!!!!!"
  • Options

It may well have been wishcasting, although the Windsor Framework seemed to be an example of working through the detail to get a successful result.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Roger said:

I liked it! It said nothing. No one fell over. Was up-beat and the music was catchy.

What more do you want?
    It's a great video, thank goodness they didn't do him "taking the knee"!

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,240
    Rishi Sunak has whatever the opposite of 'electoral magic' is but the Cons have to stick with him into the GE. If they changed PM again people would start to view them as a joke rather than a serious political party.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Rishi Sunak has whatever the opposite of 'electoral magic' is but the Cons have to stick with him into the GE. If they changed PM again people would start to view them as a joke rather than a serious political party.

Start to view them.....
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,666
    Fishing said:

Roger said:

Johnson’s polling was buoyed by COVID, giving the impression of an extended honeymoon. The Tories’ polling then started falling under Johnson, well before Truss.
  • Options

Welcome back, Richard.

Will you be voting for Sirs Ed or Keir, next time? Or sticking with the Tories?
  • Options

In fairness, it's moderately more intellectually coherent than the random nonsense of his two predecessors
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    kinabalu said:

So far the downwards trajectory of Sunak's net approval matches the scenario I sketched out in my thread header a few weeks back and suggests that Labour remains on course to win a majority. I agree with you that replacing him is not really an option for the Tories. Sad!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The purported appeal of Bad Enoch baffles me. She is wooden on the telly and has been completely invisible as a minister.

What exactly is the attraction?
  • Options

Welcome back, Richard.

Will you be voting for Sirs Ed or Keir, next time? Or sticking with the Tories?
    LibDem, like last time. (They are bonkers, of course, but in a less damaging way than the Tories).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Fishing said:

Roger said:

See

PS. Found it now, I posted on the above thread back on 18th August

"The headline More in Common VI with Sunak and Starmer as leaders is:
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    LD 11%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 3%

Apply the net change found if Corbyn were to replace Starmer and you would get
    Lab 34% (-10)
    Con 36% (+7)
    LD 15% (+4)
    Ref 6%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 3%

Incidentally, More in Common also asked about the impact if Johnson not Sunak were Conservative leader and found that the Labour lead under Starmer would fall by 6%. The gloss really has worn off Sunak."
    No one else dare say it, but it seems people are slowly coming to the obvious conclusion as to where it all went wrong for the Tories in this parliament.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,240

kinabalu said:

Start to view them.....
    Ha, I know. But I think they're just on the right side of it at the moment. The people are sick of them and the people hate them, but they do still take them seriously. Or most do anyway. They are not, as we speak, a national laughing stock like Eddie the Eagle or something.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    kinabalu said:

Nobody can make them have a GE. They could change leader and brazen it out for 6-9 months. Honeymoon bounce + giveaway budget + don't mention Brexit now that everyone hates it + DUP = wafer thin majority and another five years of governmental excellence.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The purported appeal of Bad Enoch baffles me. She is wooden on the telly and has been completely invisible as a minister.

She's a black woman who's also massively anti-woke. The British Right see that as the perfect stick with which to bludgeon the Left.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

She's a black woman who's also massively anti-woke. The British Right see that as the perfect stick with which to bludgeon the Left.
    Yeah, I think it is more about "this will really annoy the wokerati" then anything else.
  • Options

Also pulling a pint – of Tribute, an absolutely delicious cask ale.

Kudos due.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Start to view them.....
    Ha, I know. But I think they're just on the right side of it at the moment. The people are sick of them and the people hate them, but they do still take them seriously. Or most do anyway. They are not, as we speak, a national laughing stock like Eddie the Eagle or something.
    The problem they have is similar to clear out of New Labour types, Tories like Javid who are perfectly reasonable people are off at the next GE. The loony to sane ratio is going to really shift.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Arf
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Partly her policy platform (pro Brexit, feedom to make lots of wonga, down with wokery).

Partly her backstory (if you focus on the "worked at McDonalds/did an engineering degree" bit, rather than the "daughter of a GP and an globetrotting academic/law and financial consultant/worked at the Spectator" bit).

Partly because of the Father Ted ("not a racist") bit.

I can see the point, but by itself that shouldn't be enough.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Is that it? Seems thin gruel indeed on which to pick a leader.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I liked Eotho! Use it a fair few times and the savings were great. It was the middle of the summer and you could eat outside: seemed very popular, and helped a hospitality sector that was on its knees. One of the few good ideas Sunak had?
This discussion has been closed.