Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polling chart that won’t help Sunak keep his job – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,221

But which different leader? It's all very well speculating about Penny Morduant, and were there a vacancy she may well win. But then again, she may not. It could be a nutcase or chancer or ideological zealot. But I repeat myself.

Tory MPs have no idea what number is going to come up if they roll the leadership dice and dumping Sunak will only help if his replacement can clearly do a better job. Firstly, can someone do a better job of both articulating an attractive vision and running a government, and secondly, if there is such a person (or such people) what are their chances of winning and what are the risks if they don't?

I think that barring an almighty screw-up over a particular issue, Sunak is there for the duration now. It's just too disruptive and too risky for too little return to change leader yet again - particularly when running a leadership contest is, of itself, likely to hit Tory polling merely for the navel-gazing.

The problem is not the leader; the problem is the party.

It's time.

Her time.

Phwoar
    David Byrne called. He wants his trousers back.... and also asked "What the absolute f**k????!!!!!"
    The signs were there, Richard, right in front of our eyes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    edited October 2023

kinabalu said:

Rishi Sunak has whatever the opposite of 'electoral magic' is but the Cons have to stick with him into the GE. If they changed PM again people would start to view them as a joke rather than a serious political party.

So far the downwards trajectory of Sunak's net approval matches the scenario I sketched out in my thread header a few weeks back and suggests that Labour remains on course to win a majority. I agree with you that replacing him is not really an option for the Tories. Sad!
    You're more cautious than me, I think, in that I'm expecting a chunky majority. Although I'm trying to keep a lid on this because I don't want to get to election morning-after and find myself feeling a bit pissed off about Labour winning with *only* a small majority. Labour GE wins of any kind are not exactly littered through history let's face it.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815

Andy_JS said:

The next leader will probably be Kemi Badenoch imo.

The purported appeal of Bad Enoch baffles me. She is wooden on the telly and has been completely invisible as a minister.

What exactly is the attraction?
    She's a black woman who's also massively anti-woke. The British Right see that as the perfect stick with which to bludgeon the Left.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

But which different leader? It's all very well speculating about Penny Morduant, and were there a vacancy she may well win. But then again, she may not. It could be a nutcase or chancer or ideological zealot. But I repeat myself.

Tory MPs have no idea what number is going to come up if they roll the leadership dice and dumping Sunak will only help if his replacement can clearly do a better job. Firstly, can someone do a better job of both articulating an attractive vision and running a government, and secondly, if there is such a person (or such people) what are their chances of winning and what are the risks if they don't?

I think that barring an almighty screw-up over a particular issue, Sunak is there for the duration now. It's just too disruptive and too risky for too little return to change leader yet again - particularly when running a leadership contest is, of itself, likely to hit Tory polling merely for the navel-gazing.

No more leadership changes. Time to crack on with the election now! Budget March 2024 then GE May 2024 aligned with local elections. Let's not drag it out any further!
    I don't believe a PM will call an election when double-digits behind in the polls if they can credibly go longer.

The Budget won't change anything. A steady-as-she-goes one will make no impact; a radical tax-cutting one might unsettle the markets and even if it doesn't, will completely cut across everything Sunak's been saying since the 2022 leadership elections and will be so transparently cynical that it won't work (and Sunak will not be able to defend it in interviews because he's commendably rubbish at lying).

Also, calling an election in March will be right off the back of a really serious NHS winter, which will have been all over the media.
    Fair enough but hanging on to Oct 2024 could be seen as desperate.

And Jan 2025 as really really desperate!
    Although I still think October is more likely, I do agree May is very much the value bet at 5-1.

The Budget, even though it can't be an immediate giveaway, could set a programme of tax cuts over several years with some rabbits out of the hat on IHT etc. It's a decent set-piece to go into an election on "this is all only possible if you give Rishi a mandate..."

Furthermore, the May local elections are likely to be really bad, partly because the Tories have a high base from 2021 (about half of which were deferred from 2020 due to COVID). The news today suggests that, while Bone might fight the dying of the light for a while, there's a by-election coming in Wellingborough, and there may always be more to cause a nuisance.

As you say, the longer it goes on, the more the cries of "chicken" grow louder.

The obvious thing against that is a large Labour poll lead. But Theresa May knows polling leads can be a bit deceptive, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sunak got a bit of credit for going in the Spring despite the polling position, and found himself with at least a little momentum.
    Mid-Nov seems most likely to me - that gives Sunak the chance to call it from, or immediately after, the Tory party conference, using the early Sept session for wash-up of anything still outstanding (which isn't likely to be much anyway). Conference makes for as decent a launch-pad as they could hope for, while also potentially messing up Labour's, if it comes last again like this year's (does it?). And it gives a summer's break beforehand where political things are less likely to go wrong.
    The only issue with that is that TV screens will be full of Trump v Biden.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Rishi Sunak has whatever the opposite of 'electoral magic' is but the Cons have to stick with him into the GE. If they changed PM again people would start to view them as a joke rather than a serious political party.

So far the downwards trajectory of Sunak's net approval matches the scenario I sketched out in my thread header a few weeks back and suggests that Labour remains on course to win a majority. I agree with you that replacing him is not really an option for the Tories. Sad!
    You're more cautious than me, I think, in that I'm expecting a chunky majority. Although I'm trying to keep a lid on this because I don't want to get to election morning-after and find myself feeling a bit pissed off about Labour winning with *only* a small majority. Labour GE wins of any kind are not exactly littered through history let's face it.
    My preferred outcome would be a tory majority of exactly 1. That would mean the little shit would have to soldier on in scenes of total chaos as he would be beholden to the lunatic whims of every single tory backbencher. He is already given to impulsivity and rank cowardice with a 70 or whatever seat majority so watching him try and spectacularly fail to manage a razor thin one would be wonderful.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939

Roger said:

Let's Get Britain's Future Back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg5m7j7e-N4

Labour's new 1-minute video shows Keir Starmer standing up, sitting down, and walking around.

I liked it! It said nothing. No one fell over. Was up-beat and the music was catchy.

What more do you want?
    It's a great video, thank goodness they didn't do him "taking the knee"!

Would have been tricky finding a soundtrack
  • Options
    It's not just Sunak's falling ratings, Starmer has clearly had a boost from last week's Labour conference. It's notable that his lead over Sunak is wider than the Labour lead over the Tories in today's Deltapoll, even though the Labour lead is 20 points.

If you want to get a sense of how the Tories themselves view Sunak, look at Dowdwn and Shapps today in the Commons ...

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1713936288942821846
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,551
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

My preferred outcome would be a tory majority of exactly 1. That would mean the little shit would have to soldier on in scenes of total chaos as he would be beholden to the lunatic whims of every single tory backbencher. He is already given to impulsivity and rank cowardice with a 70 or whatever seat majority so watching him try and spectacularly fail to manage a razor thin one would be wonderful.
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Majority would have to be an even number, surely?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,245
    Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If there are say 5 or 7 SF MPs who are unlikely to take their seats, an 'odd' effective majority is possible!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,275
    Cookie said:

Does the Speaker count?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,107

Donald Trump is preparing to give evidence at the High Court in London to deny hiring prostitutes, holding sex parties and bribing Russian officials.

The former president of the United States is using data protection laws to sue a London-based intelligence consultancy founded by a former MI6 agent who produced a dossier of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Hugh Tomlinson KC, Trump’s lawyer, told the court that his client “brings this case because he seeks vindication of his legal rights”.

Trump wants to prove that the “shocking and scandalous claims about [his] personal conduct” are false and “intends to discharge that burden by giving evidence in this court”, he added.

Christopher Steele, 59, who ran the Secret Intelligence Service’s Russia desk before co-founding Orbis Business Intelligence, was in court for the preliminary hearing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/donald-trump-sue-british-spy-christopher-steele-dossier-court-trial-jqt7h6cxq

It's probably just Trump manufacturing more reasons not to turn up for his US court dates.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,867
    Why is it that an Israeli man who has seen personal loss can be more considerate of human life than many by others watching from afar?

https://x.com/yousefmunayyer/status/1713903256059937012?s=46&t=16Vx1hkPdKeRguANzrOtZQ
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

Does the Speaker count?
    Sometimes, sometimes not. It can be quoted either way.

Although a vacancy (or vacancies) would definitely be one way to produce an odd-numbered majority, if only temporarily.
  • Options

Sunak is proving very poor as leader, having bizarrely and unnecessarily trashed his own brand, but switching would be even worse. It's not as though there's a David Cameron waiting in the wings with lots of support in the party and amongst MPs. Even if they had a less bad candidate than Sunak, they wouldn't unite around him or her.

As for Penny Mordaunt, let's not forget just how abysmal she was when she did stand in the leadership contest. Admittedly Liz Truss was even worse, and that didn't seem to be a barrier to her becoming leader, but in terms of improving their electoral chances, the party would be mad to even think about it.

They are done up like a kipper, as it were.

What do you think he did specifically to trash his brand? I tend to be in agreement, but am interested in other people's takes.
    - Appointing Suella Braverman as Home Sec
    - Continuing with the Rwanda nonsense
    - Compounding this by campaigning on 'Stop the Boats' when he hasn't and won't
    - Cancelling (if he actually has!) a huge infrastructure project in an announcement which seems to have been put together on the back of a fag packet in a hotel room in Manchester and which fell apart within 24 hours
    - Totally mishandling the Net Zero issue, where the decisions may have been rational but the presentation made them look arbitrary and irrational
    - Announcing plans for education which are clearly not thought out and which will never happen

He was meant to bring stability and properly-considered policy making. Instead the chaos has continued.
    But apart from that ...
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981

Donald Trump is preparing to give evidence at the High Court in London to deny hiring prostitutes, holding sex parties and bribing Russian officials.

The former president of the United States is using data protection laws to sue a London-based intelligence consultancy founded by a former MI6 agent who produced a dossier of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Hugh Tomlinson KC, Trump’s lawyer, told the court that his client “brings this case because he seeks vindication of his legal rights”.

Trump wants to prove that the “shocking and scandalous claims about [his] personal conduct” are false and “intends to discharge that burden by giving evidence in this court”, he added.

Christopher Steele, 59, who ran the Secret Intelligence Service’s Russia desk before co-founding Orbis Business Intelligence, was in court for the preliminary hearing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/donald-trump-sue-british-spy-christopher-steele-dossier-court-trial-jqt7h6cxq

Trump’s batting average, as they say in the States, when it comes to court cases is pretty bad. His chances look better here, I guess, but we’ll see!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    rcs1000 said:

No more leadership changes. Time to crack on with the election now! Budget March 2024 then GE May 2024 aligned with local elections. Let's not drag it out any further!
    I don't believe a PM will call an election when double-digits behind in the polls if they can credibly go longer.

The Budget won't change anything. A steady-as-she-goes one will make no impact; a radical tax-cutting one might unsettle the markets and even if it doesn't, will completely cut across everything Sunak's been saying since the 2022 leadership elections and will be so transparently cynical that it won't work (and Sunak will not be able to defend it in interviews because he's commendably rubbish at lying).

Also, calling an election in March will be right off the back of a really serious NHS winter, which will have been all over the media.

Although I still think October is more likely, I do agree May is very much the value bet at 5-1.

The Budget, even though it can't be an immediate giveaway, could set a programme of tax cuts over several years with some rabbits out of the hat on IHT etc. It's a decent set-piece to go into an election on "this is all only possible if you give Rishi a mandate..."

Furthermore, the May local elections are likely to be really bad, partly because the Tories have a high base from 2021 (about half of which were deferred from 2020 due to COVID). The news today suggests that, while Bone might fight the dying of the light for a while, there's a by-election coming in Wellingborough, and there may always be more to cause a nuisance.

The obvious thing against that is a large Labour poll lead. But Theresa May knows polling leads can be a bit deceptive, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sunak got a bit of credit for going in the Spring despite the polling position, and found himself with at least a little momentum.
    Mid-Nov seems most likely to me - that gives Sunak the chance to call it from, or immediately after, the Tory party conference, using the early Sept session for wash-up of anything still outstanding (which isn't likely to be much anyway). Conference makes for as decent a launch-pad as they could hope for, while also potentially messing up Labour's, if it comes last again like this year's (does it?). And it gives a summer's break beforehand where political things are less likely to go wrong.
    I think even the British media's obsession with US politics might be overshadowed there for once. Anyway, that could work both ways for the Tories (though not at once!).
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

....and that one is Peter Bone right-wing flasher extraordinaire
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The most charitable thing you can say about him is that he's not as shit as his two immediate predecessors.

Are you sure?
    Yes, he's not personally sleazy as say Boris Johnson.
    Sleazy Sunak :lol:
  • Options
    Roger said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Suck the marrow out of this bone...
  • Options
    Labour leads by 14% nationally.

Westminster VI (15 October):

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 14% (+1)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)
    Scottish National Party 1% (–)

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1713947920066859476
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Start to view them.....
    Ha, I know. But I think they're just on the right side of it at the moment. The people are sick of them and the people hate them, but they do still take them seriously. Or most do anyway. They are not, as we speak, a national laughing stock like Eddie the Eagle or something.
    The problem they have is similar to clear out of New Labour types, Tories like Javid who are perfectly reasonable people are off at the next GE. The loony to sane ratio is going to really shift.
    Yes. The parliamentary party rotted from the top - by installing BoJo - and it's fed right down. All the wrong people have been puffed up and enabled.

It's ironic really. Brexit was meant to destroy the Tories but for a while it destroyed Labour instead. Then it pulled itself together and remembered what it was meant to be doing - and destroyed the Tories.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think even the British media's obsession with US politics might be overshadowed there for once. Anyway, that could work both ways for the Tories (though not at once!).
    Running the UK election concurrently with the US one would be too crackers even for the loons, weirdos and nutters who constitute today's Tory party.

The election will be late October 2024, before the clocks go back. Say, 24 October.
  • Options

It's time.

Her time.

Phwoar
    David Byrne called. He wants his trousers back.... and also asked "What the absolute f**k????!!!!!"
    The signs were there, Richard, right in front of our eyes.
    And never forget. She beat Sunak.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,107
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The Guardian's photograph is better.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/16/tory-mp-peter-bone-hit-and-abused-staff-member-watchdog-says
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If you guarantee me that lasts 6 months max before another election and an obliterating defeat I'll perhaps be able to get into the spirit of it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,139

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)

This represents a 13% swing from GE2019. Labour needs swings of 20% and 22% to win the by-elections on Thursday.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    edited October 2023
    There is not going to be an election until the last possible moment. There is always time for events and I think the effect distribution is skewed because how much worse could it get on the one hand vs a positive surprise (no, neither can I but still) on the other.

Getting rid of the leader is neither here nor there.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)

SNP on 1 again. CHORTLE
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    I mean if they decided that polling day should be December 25th I'd see how that would a) depress turnout; and b) cause some degree of resentment, but in for a penny...
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    FPT: It appears to me that Iran is following mainstream Islamic thought on religious toleration -- or at least trying to appear so. As I understand it, under Islam, Jews and Christians are to be tolerated, as long they pay a special tax and accept their subordinate status. (There was a third, smaller group, included in the "people of the book", but I can't remember the name of the group.)

Other groups may be persecuted, without limit, for example: 'The Iranian authorities’ persecution of the Baha’i religious minority has increased in intensity with a recent flurry of raids, arbitrary arrests, home demolitions and land grabs, Amnesty International said today.

Since 31 July 2022, Ministry of Intelligence agents have raided and confiscated dozens of Baha’i properties and arrested at least 30 members of the Baha’i community on account of their faith in various cities throughout Iran. The authorities have subjected many more to interrogations and/or forced them to wear electronic ankle bracelets. The Ministry of Intelligence announced on 1 August that those arrested were “core members of Baha’i espionage party” who “propagated Baha’i teachings” and “sought to infiltrate various levels of the educational sector across the country, especially kindergartens”.'
    source: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/08/iran-stop-ruthless-attacks-on-persecuted-bahai-religious-minority/
  • Options

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)

Broken, sleazy Tories and LibDems on the RISE?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,466
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Most cancelled Mr man.
  • Options
    Creating images of women on Midjourney. Think I've just fallen in love with one. Nothing weird about that

*whistles nervously*
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    On topic, more or less: In the US, taller candidates often have a small advantage. Is there any polling that shows his height is hurting Sunak?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)

This represents a 13% swing from GE2019. Labour needs swings of 20% and 22% to win the by-elections on Thursday.
    By-election swings are often much bigger than what the polls show. That seems doable.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    edited October 2023

FPT: It appears to me that Iran is following mainstream Islamic thought on religious toleration -- or at least trying to appear so. As I understand it, under Islam, Jews and Christians are to be tolerated, as long they pay a special tax and accept their subordinate status. (There was a third, smaller group, included in the "people of the book", but I can't remember the name of the group.)

Other groups may be persecuted, without limit, for example: 'The Iranian authorities’ persecution of the Baha’i religious minority has increased in intensity with a recent flurry of raids, arbitrary arrests, home demolitions and land grabs, Amnesty International said today.

Since 31 July 2022, Ministry of Intelligence agents have raided and confiscated dozens of Baha’i properties and arrested at least 30 members of the Baha’i community on account of their faith in various cities throughout Iran. The authorities have subjected many more to interrogations and/or forced them to wear electronic ankle bracelets. The Ministry of Intelligence announced on 1 August that those arrested were “core members of Baha’i espionage party” who “propagated Baha’i teachings” and “sought to infiltrate various levels of the educational sector across the country, especially kindergartens”.'
    source: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/08/iran-stop-ruthless-attacks-on-persecuted-bahai-religious-minority/

@Jim_Miller

There's a nice Baha'i Temple in New Delhi, India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Temple
    Inspired by the sacred lotus flower, the temple's design is composed of 27 free-standing, marble-clad "petals" grouped into clusters of three and thus forming nine sides.[4] The temple's shape has symbolic and inter-religious significance because the lotus is often associated with the Hindu goddess Lakshmi.[46] Nine doors open onto a central hall[45] with permanent seating for 1,200 people, which can be expanded for a total seating capacity of 2,500 people.[21] The temple rises to a height of 40.8 metres[21] and is situated on a property that covers 105,000 square metres and features nine surrounding ponds.[45]

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Bearing in mind this morning's conversation about FPTP, surely a good and popular manifesto coupled with decent candidate selection will guarantee re-election?
  • Options

It depended on views at particular times, but the traditional third People of the Book in the Quran are the Sabians… it’s just not clear who those are! There don’t appear to be any Sabians around today. Other groups have sometimes been included. In the Iranian context, the most important group sometimes included are the Zoroastrians, like Freddie Mercury’s family.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

There is not going to be an election until the last possible moment. There is always time for events and I think the effect distribution is skewed because how much worse could it get on the one hand vs a positive surprise (no, neither can I but still) on the other.

They aren’t going to hold an election in January with the campaign during Christmas.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,398
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Labour's new 1-minute video shows Keir Starmer standing up, sitting down, and walking around.

I liked it! It said nothing. No one fell over. Was up-beat and the music was catchy.

What more do you want?
    It's a great video, thank goodness they didn't do him "taking the knee"!

Would have been tricky finding a soundtrack
    Could it be magic, Take That.
  • Options

It depended on views at particular times, but the traditional third People of the Book in the Quran are the Sabians… it’s just not clear who those are! There don’t appear to be any Sabians around today. Other groups have sometimes been included. In the Iranian context, the most important group sometimes included are the Zoroastrians, like Freddie Mercury’s family.
    In the Quran they are identified as the Jews, the Christians, the Sabians, and—according to some interpretations—the Zoroastrians.[2] Starting from the 8th century, some Muslims also recognized other religious groups such as the Samaritans,[3] and even Buddhists, Hindus, and Jains,[4] as People of the Book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_the_Book
  • Options
    Stamford Hill Jewish Primary School's was targeted and had red paint splattered over several doors and windows.

Shouldn’t have to say this but Jewish children in Britain have nothing to do with the Israel/Palestine conflict.

https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1713894563411001841
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,427
    edited October 2023
    @MikeSmithson well, yes they would.

They would win most seats with Boris Johnson. But he's no longer an MP. Not sure he has to be?

As a left-of-centre pragmatist it's Johnson whom I fear. Everyone else = Labour majority, probable landslide. Penny Mordaunt is getting like Liz Truss Mk II. I mean, she's really a bit ... strange at times. Perhaps most of the time. Holding a phallus doesn't a good PM make.

*This is not an endorsement of Boris Johnson. He's a shit. But he is a shit who reaches parts no other tories can.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,245

TOPPING said:

They aren’t going to hold an election in January with the campaign during Christmas.
    Chance of Jan 2025 = NIL

CON would be heading for sub 100 if they tried that.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,380
    edited October 2023

On topic, more or less: In the US, taller candidates often have a small advantage. Is there any polling that shows his height is hurting Sunak?

Negligible, I'd have thought.

Not sure there's polling evidence, although I do note the recent word cloud on Sunak didn't appear to feature references to his height (although it did to a minor degree mention his ethnicity, and to a larger degree some very rude words, so "short-arse" wasn't apparently missed out for reasons of taste but because it wasn't at the front of people's minds).

Sunak is, I think, the same height as Churchill - who of course lost one landslide election, but I doubt people were thinking at that time, "Well, he won a World War, but he'd be no bloody use getting a jar off the top shelf". The other big height disparity was Thatcher versus her opponents, and it didn't seem to do her much harm.
  • Options
    Do I want to know what this Peter Bone story is?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    Heathener said:

They would win most seats with Boris Johnson. But he's no longer an MP. Not sure he has to be?

As a left-of-centre pragmatist it's Johnson whom I fear. Everyone else = Labour majority, probable landslide. Penny Mordaunt is getting like Liz Truss Mk II. I mean, she's really a bit ... strange at times. Perhaps most of the time. Holding a phallus doesn't a good PM make.

*This is not an endorsement of Boris Johnson. He's a shit. But he is a shit who reaches parts no other tories can.

How are we the only two people on here who think this? It seems so obvious

• Options

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Most cancelled Mr man.
    How many leaders does it take to change a party?

TBC . . .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Its tacky and sordid and typical of a certain type of older MP so probably not.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,380
    edited October 2023
    rcs1000 said:

The finding is he bullied a young male employee. Some of the usual ranting and raving but also some bizarre stuff in terms of throwing things at him, making him sit with his hands in his lap as a sort of punishment, and getting his bits and bobs out, possibly as more of a sort of weird power-play than a sexual pass, in a hotel room.

This was ten years ago, but apparently about half of this was the Tories refusing to look into it, then going slow etc before it went to the Commons authorities.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Chance of Jan 2025 = NIL

Why would Sunak give a tiny, shiny fuck how many seats the tories have after the election? He'll be in an F-class seat to LAX within weeks of the defeat. His primary ambition will be just to maximise his time as PMOTUK. January 2025 gives him nearly 2 and a half years which is almost respectable.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927

TOPPING said:

Chance of Jan 2025 = NIL

They should try it, they really should.
  • Options
    isam said:

Heathener said:

Johnson has a certain charisma and campaigning nouse, but his personal polls ratings and the party’s were abysmal when he left office. Johnson now would not be Johnson 2019. I’m sure he has his fans and you get them, but the campaign would feature extensive coverage of his every well-reported failing. Partygate, let the bodies pile up, backing Pincher, leaving Parliament in a huff, having lied to Parliament…
  • Options
    Has anyone talked about the Steve Bell sacking? My feeling is that it's a poor decision by the Guardian. Cartoonists should be given the leeway to challenge anything they want particularly in a so called radical paper like the Guardian. The template should be Charlie Hebdo.

The 'Je suis Charlie' campaign which attracted 1,300,000 demonstrators and most world leaders was about free speech not the sensitivity of assorted countries. Nor about bad taste a line which Steve Bell sometimes crosses. But that's what cartoonists are for
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

Stamford Hill Jewish Primary School's was targeted and had red paint splattered over several doors and windows.

Shouldn’t have to say this but Jewish children in Britain have nothing to do with the Israel/Palestine conflict.

How very sad
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Chance of Jan 2025 = NIL

I can see January 2025. Some Conservatives think bad weather helps them as feckless Labour and LibDem voters stay at home in the warm.
  • Options

A Primary School. This is unspeakable. In 2023

We are no better than the Nazis in about 1935. This sickness has to be extirpated, people need to do long long jail times
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How very sad
    It's a bit beyond "sad"
  • Options
    isam said:

Heathener said:

Boris Johnson could certainly reach people that other - more traditional Tories - cannot.

And that gives him a higher ceiling than a Sunak or Truss.

*However*, I think it is easy to forget the fall of Johnson. He had (again) lied about what he knew. He lied to the House of Commons. And the Conservatives - who had had a pretty good run of byelections going back to 2016 - had started losing safe seats on massive swings.

If he had remained PM, but hadn't repeatedly lied, then yes, he would almost certainly be polling better than Sunak.

But that wasn't where we were at.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How very sad
    Indeed, but let us be thankful that it’s just some paint.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Why is it that an Israeli man who has seen personal loss can be more considerate of human life than many by others watching from afar?

https://x.com/yousefmunayyer/status/1713903256059937012?s=46&t=16Vx1hkPdKeRguANzrOtZQ

Pshaw, he’s not a 0-60 in 2.4 secs Google Middle East expert, what does he know?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I would fear Johnson if he was able to manage those aspects of his character that make it impossible for him to hold high office again.

Essentially, he is completely incapable of being honest to colleagues and, whilst his strained relationship with facts has long been known, it's hard now for colleagues to sustain the fantasy that it can be managed and controlled. In the absence of trust, dysfunctionality is inevitable.

I agree he has charisma, albeit the "good old Boris - he's a laugh" thing is essentially dead (too many people are wise to it). But even if he is still a draw for voters, Tory MPs need to consider if that's sustainable should he ever get high office again.

No, it's over for Johnson. A few decades of newspaper columns, after-dinner speeches, occasional forays into the discourse, and copious extramarital shagging await. But never again those bright, sunlit uplands.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We are no better than the Nazis in about 1935. This sickness has to be extirpated, people need to do long long jail times
    Small mercies: no people attacked; no windows broken. Or does that make it worse because this was not mindless violence? Someone put a degree of thought into this.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    No the Conservatives wouldn't do much better under an alternative leader and may well do worse with some. The focus of the government should be getting inflation and then interest rates down which is likely to have far more impact.

A third consecutive change of PM in one Parliament would look farcical to the voters and Mordaunt is probably too woke for the membership anyway, you could equally end up with PM Braverman or Badenoch if they go to the final 2
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Chance of Jan 2025 = NIL

I can see January 2025. Some Conservatives think bad weather helps them as feckless Labour and LibDem voters stay at home in the warm.
    There's no actual evidence, as far as I've seen, that poor weather benefits a particular party in the UK.

Indeed, you could argue it might hurt the Tories as people of working age are typically out of the house on a Thursday so might as well swing by the polling station given they are wet/cold anyway, whereas pensioners can legitimately turn on the central heating and stay at home all day. But there doesn't seem to be evidence either way, and I suspect it's negligible.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Allegedly add an extra r and allegedly placed rather too close to his aide
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,509
    Leon said:

Except the allusion would imply it was Conservative party members who did the daubing, which I doubt.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Small mercies: no people attacked; no windows broken. Or does that make it worse because this was not mindless violence? Someone put a degree of thought into this.
    TwiX actually has a likely culprit. She's done it before. She's been caught on cameria. She calls it "street art". She is openly anti Semitic. She lives very near me! She's also - surprise surprise - a big conspiracy theorist

https://x.com/uniteus23/status/1713906947567530003?s=20

Well, what may have been provocative street art in 2019 now looks like a hideous attempt to terrify Jewish kids and - if it is her - she needs banging up, to teach her a lesson

This needs to be stamped out before it all gets worse
  • Options

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)

RefUK up to 7% now, more than double the score for the Brexit Party and UKIP combined in 2019
  • Options

Leon said:

Except the allusion would imply it was Conservative party members who did the daubing, which I doubt.
    I mean the atmosphere of "acceptably moderate levels of anti Semitism". We know where this goes, we have read the book

Remember that idiot who got a year in jail for putting a rasher of bacon on a mosque door handle?

This is considerably worse, in the circs. To my mind
  • Options
    Good photo. The hacks cannae stay away..

• Options
    Citibank wins case after sacking banker over two-sandwich lunch claim
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67121456

Some chap lost his (complete guess) £250-£500k job because he put his wife's £10 coffee and sandwich on expenses. Ironically, he was a specialist in financial crime.
  • Options

Ah, the lost leader. How your heart must weep for the past
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212

Sturgeon's denies being SNP's Liz Truss as she eclipses Yousaf at conference

https://x.com/HTScotPol/status/1713914933560180846?s=20

She was really successful, 15K at conference when she started and now down to a few hundred, fantastic record.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    Roger said:

Has anyone talked about the Steve Bell sacking? My feeling is that it's a poor decision by the Guardian. Cartoonists should be given the leeway to challenge anything they want particularly in a so called radical paper like the Guardian. The template should be Charlie Hebdo.

The 'Je suis Charlie' campaign which attracted 1,300,000 demonstrators and most world leaders was about free speech not the sensitivity of assorted countries. Nor about bad taste a line which Steve Bell sometimes crosses. But that's what cartoonists are for

Hold on: is Steve Bell now officially Roger-defined 'talent', and therefore excused any wrongdoing?

Please tell.
  • Options

Heathener said:

I would fear Johnson if he was able to manage those aspects of his character that make it impossible for him to hold high office again.

Essentially, he is completely incapable of being honest to colleagues and, whilst his strained relationship with facts has long been known, it's hard now for colleagues to sustain the fantasy that it can be managed and controlled. In the absence of trust, dysfunctionality is inevitable.

I agree he has charisma, albeit the "good old Boris - he's a laugh" thing is essentially dead (too many people are wise to it). But even if he is still a draw for voters, Tory MPs need to consider if that's sustainable should he ever get high office again.

No, it's over for Johnson. A few decades of newspaper columns, after-dinner speeches, occasional forays into the discourse, and copious extramarital shagging await. But never again those bright, sunlit uplands.
    And basically self inflicted. Had it not have been for Paterson, Partygate and Pincher, he could well still be there.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,398

Heathener said:

And basically self inflicted. Had it not have been for Paterson, Partygate and Pincher, he could well still be there.
    Just shows how shocking his judgement was.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Indeed. And the warning signs were visible well before he ever became PM.He was brought down by flaws in his character that were long-standing, and which he ?sadly? could not change.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Leon said:

The people that did this are either thick or verging on mentally ill or just seeking a kind of self-serving narcissistic notoriety.

To think that the actions of Israel has any reflection whatsoever on Jewish people (adults and especially children) elsewhere is an extreme form of tribal collectivist thinking.

The sane majority have far too many of these people amongst us.
  • Options

Some chap lost his (complete guess) £250-£500k job because he put his wife's £10 coffee and sandwich on expenses. Ironically, he was a specialist in financial crime.

They must of wanted to get rid and used this as the tool.
  • Options

I doubt he was on £500k/year, probably more like £150-200k.

BUT STILL.

This isn't complex: don't lie.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Indeed. And the warning signs were visible well before he ever became PM.He was brought down by flaws in his character that were long-standing, and which he ?sadly? could not change.
    I lost by betting against Boris becoming leader. His flaws were obvious, and even mirrored Jeremy Corbyn's.
  • Options

Roger said:

Hold on: is Steve Bell now officially Roger-defined 'talent', and therefore excused any wrongdoing?

Please tell.
    It turns out free speech is complicated stuff.
  • Options

Heathener said:

I lost by betting against Boris becoming leader. His flaws were obvious, and even mirrored Jeremy Corbyn's.
    It's interesting that the three things that brought him down - as mentioned below, Paterson, Partygate and Pincher - all, IIRC, came out *after* he had been seriously ill with Covid. I do wonder if his already-poor judgement had been made even worse in the weeks and months following that. Especially considering the pressure he was under wrt dealing with Covid.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ah, the lost leader. How your heart must weep for the past
    You’re currently persuading yourself to vote for Starmer, so presumably you’ve got a scrunched up wee having to eat a shit sandwich face for the future.
  • Options
    Roger said:

What more do you want?
    Him eating some curry?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921
    HYUFD said:

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-2)

RefUK up to 7% now, more than double the score for the Brexit Party and UKIP combined in 2019
    Not much real movement though - the Lab/LD/Green vs Con/Ref totals:

R&W: 61-36
    Deltapoll: 63-32
    We Think: 59-35
    Opinium: 60-34
    YouGov: 62-32
    Techne: 62-32
    Savanta: 59-35

2019 election: 48-47
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,139
    "Allowing low-level offenders to avoid jail and deporting foreign criminals earlier are among government plans aimed at tackling severe overcrowding in prisons in England and Wales.

Figures from earlier this year revealed that 61% of prisons were overcrowded.

The justice secretary is due to set out details of his plan for easing pressure in Parliament on Monday afternoon.

Alex Chalk has already said he wants some offenders to do community work rather than short stints in prison."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67116658
  • Options

Roger said:

Please tell.
    It is indeed. I would argue that his portrayal of Patel as a cow was f-all to do with free speech, and totally an attempt to denigrate her for her religion and gender. Which a cleverer person would have done in a smarter, and less gratuitously offensive, way.

If Bell was funny, he might actually get away with such beahviour.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Allowing low-level offenders to avoid jail and deporting foreign criminals earlier are among government plans aimed at tackling severe overcrowding in prisons in England and Wales.

Figures from earlier this year revealed that 61% of prisons were overcrowded.

The justice secretary is due to set out details of his plan for easing pressure in Parliament on Monday afternoon.

Alex Chalk has already said he wants some offenders to do community work rather than short stints in prison."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67116658

Make them serve at supermarket checkouts?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Covid - pure and simple. Not only did it affect his own health and well being but it prevented him playing his role as Britain's Chief Optimist keeping us positive, upbeat, enjoying life and not thinking too much about politics. He was the leader for the "Roaring Twenties" but not for the 20s we've had so far.

Is there a way back? He spent twenty years manoeuvring his way to the top to find the job he craved and desired wasn't what he expected or wanted. He'll be 60 next June - could he find a "safe" seat in a midterm by-election, much as Portillo did in 1999? Would he want it?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    dixiedean said:

Yes the Tories may get more seats with Mordaunt as leader.
    The issue is they wouldn't get her as leader.

Why on earth does anyone still rate her after her ludicrous and vacuous speech during the party conference? It was an embarrassment.
  • Options

Heathener said:

It's interesting that the three things that brought him down - as mentioned below, Paterson, Partygate and Pincher - all, IIRC, came out *after* he had been seriously ill with Covid. I do wonder if his already-poor judgement had been made even worse in the weeks and months following that. Especially considering the pressure he was under wrt dealing with Covid.
    Boris's judgement was poor in these instances but another factor was Boris's indifference to facts, and his conviction that rules are for other people. Working backwards along that list meant Boris was wholly reliant on his flawed judgement because he'd not bothered to establish the facts because he did not think the rules mattered. That's true of Partygate, Paterson and Pincher, as well as other minor scandals like the BBC boss and loan arranger, wallpapergate, and the Caribbean holiday.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Stocky said:

They must of wanted to get rid and used this as the tool.
    Doubt it - the guy wasn't anywhere senior enough to justify the expense, or the attention from the legal team.

An absolute classic in sending a message to the rest of your staff, though. Will probably result in a noticeable drop in expense claims over the next few years.
  • Options

Heathener said:

And he could have survived Partygate, if he'd been a bit more apologetic a bit earlier.

Lots of stress. People looking to unwind. It was wrong, especially given what others were going to through. Deeply sorry it occurred.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Interesting. I think I'd put it a bit differently. Before 2020, Boris had excellent judgement of one specific thing- how far you can cross the line and get away with it. The unwelcome truth for his enemies that he had spent a lifetime getting away with it.

But, like taking a corner faster than you should, you really need quicksilver instincts to do that successfully. And a combination of the Big C, advancing years and a new baby blurred those instincts fatally.
  • Options

Roger said:

Please tell.
    It is indeed. I would argue that his portrayal of Patel as a cow was f-all to do with free speech, and totally an attempt to denigrate her for her religion and gender. Which a cleverer person would have done in a smarter, and less gratuitously offensive, way.

If Bell was funny, he might actually get away with such beahviour.
    Free speech isn't difficult - fair speech is. If one side has a monopoly of the media, they can proclaim free speech safe in the knowledge it isn't.

There's also this notion of the right to offend and the right to be offended. It's my experience those who espouse the former aren't too happy when confronted with the latter.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Yes the Tories may get more seats with Mordaunt as leader.
    The issue is they wouldn't get her as leader.

Why on earth does anyone still rate her after her ludicrous and vacuous speech during the party conference? It was an embarrassment.
    She carried a sword. She doesn't represent the Badenoch or Braverman wings.
This discussion has been closed.