Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could there be a LAB-LD pact in mid-Beds? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited September 2023

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Lordy, the wreckage of our culture:

"Barbie overtakes Super Mario Bros to be 2023's biggest box office hit"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66705597

Nah, it's a great film, with genuine laughs and an entertainingly perky cast and plot.
    It's...fine. Probably as good as you could have done with a Barbie movie, it had a few decent laughs in it, but it only had two basic jokes/points, repeated over and over.

I congratulate the filmmakers on their success, and for getting people out to the cinema, but I confess to being a bit baffled how it became such an event movie (Oppenheimer to a lesser degree the same, being a decent but overlong biopic, so again pretty standard).

Then again Super Mario Bros and Avatar 2, two other massively successful films, are also very forgettable movies (the latter far worse written though). And much of the rest of the top 20 are a lot worse (I've seen 15 of them).

That list is so depressing.
    Why?

I've seen three on that list at the cinema, which is more than I've seen at the cinema in a year since my kids were born. Relatedly there's a theme to the three I've seen: Barbie, Super Mario Bros and Little Mermaid.

All 3 were pretty good. None were what I'd have chosen myself, OK maybe Super Mario Bros, but the girls enjoyed them all.

I don't see anything depressing in having multiple options for families to watch - and they're not all family movies either.

Besides, family movies tend to come out over the summer and be bigger summer blockbusters. Horror movies are often more October anyway. There's still a few months left.
    In all seriousness when people claim such a list is depressing it can be just a question of snobbish dislike of what happens to be popular. A lot of popular movies are, paradoxically, pretty safe, formulaic, and dull. Or a certain genre is dominant.

But popular genres will shift. Westerns don't bank big bucks anymore. 80s style action flicks are smaller budget affairs or straight to netflix. Marvel style action/comedy hybrids are starting to bomb, and only the genuinely good ones are making money whereas a few years ago anything of that genre was almost guaranteed to hit £500m+. So if it is the type of movie people don't like, well, things are changing.

It's also true there's a lot of remakes and sequels, more than their used to be, which can be a bit of a bummer sometimes, I wouldn't deny that. But you can bet a lot of money that people also really like a film from their younger days which was, unknown to them, a remake or adaption of some other work.

The success of Barbie and Oppenheimer is also against the trend, so clearly it can happen.

Edit: Viewcode also sums this up in about 25 works if people don't want to read all this.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,215

Carnyx said:

I'm just reflecting on the number of people on this site who are only too happy to see the old and the poor and the disadvantaged and the disabled dumped by the side of the road of what they see as progress - cash, bank branches, internet access, all of that sort of thing.

One day, they will be old (one hopes, i.e, not dead) and perhaps poor, incapacitated, and unable to cope with the changes of that time. Then they will realise why people such as I think their attitude is fucking callous and selfish.

I think its very disrespectful to the old to suggest they're somehow incapable of paying via contactless.

Indeed not having to make unnecessary trips to the cash machine, or fiddle with coins while you're in your 90s and arthritic and being able to just tap a payment makes things easier for my grandparents, not tougher.

I for one welcome that progress that makes things easier for them.
    Indeed. It’s pretty shocking, the way the elderly and poor are patronised on here.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ludlow it is! A foaming pint of virtual perry for @Carnyx and a faux thimble of Ludlow gin for @boulay

What a stunning little town

My hotel in the first pic is Dinham Weir House

Here’s my room in case anyone is scared that I’m suffering unduly on my Official Gazette Welsh Marches Road Trip

We were in Ludlow for a weekend a month ago. It's alright - nothing to write home about though.
    It’s architecturally exquisite! A completely unharmed 13th-19th century English market town with the Shropshire hills at the end of every road

John Betjeman called it the “prettiest town in England”

However it definitely feels a lot poorer than somewhere like Hereford. Indeed, as I say, it reminds me of Hereford three decades ago - before it was gentrified
    I wouldn’t go that far, but the wealth (or lack thereof) is certainly different. Hereford is squaddies and urban families relocated from a bunch of cities including, bizarrely, Glasgow (metalworking basically). There’s a lot of light industry in the city, not least Bulmers/Heineken.

Ludlow however is proper Herefordshire rural with a smattering of expat gastro Londoners. It was also, believe it or not, the epicentre of the computer games magazine industry in the 1980s.

If you want rural poor, Craven Arms is just one stop up the railway line. Good locally owned supermarket, though.
    I went back to Hereford recently and it was proper posh compared to what I knew as a lad. I grew up there - I had Scottish friends and friends with SAS dads for the reasons you state

Every night there was a good chance of a major fight. They were guaranteed at weekends

Now it’s all sushi bars and gastro pubs and gleaming vinoteks

And for a good reason. It’s a handsome, safe, largely unspoiled cathedral city surrounded by magnificent countryside. A fine place to live. Not that I appreciated this age 17 and bored witless
    A town of two halves. I thought the Widemarsh St. end of HighTown looked good, walking down to the newish food court shopping centre (where the Cattle Market used to be) is great. The other end, Maylords Orchard and the street that used to house Chadds, whose name escapes me, looks tired. Commercial Street down to the Hospital is the same as it ever was.

Ross, by the way is much improved. Much better kept than Ledbury and Newent.

You won't like Leominster or Bromyard as they are Eastern European conclaves.
    That’s good. I’d heard sad things about Ross so yay

Leominster was lovely in my memory (possibly faulty); Bromyard was always basically Birmingham
    Leominster is fine. Lots of antique shops.

In Ross, there is a really nice little deli/cake shop/cafe if you turn right at the market house coming up from Oveross. I think it is called something like the Secret Garden. If you have a vehicle, the Moody Cow at Upton Bishop is a decent place to eat.
    The Southern Marches seem to get towns right. Alongside Herefordshire's Ledbury, Leominster and Ross there is much to be recommended in Monmouth, Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Hay, and of course Ludlow.

They also as others have noted sit somewhat outside the normal English and Welsh cultures and social fabric. They are sui generis.
    i think it’s probably just luck

Too remote to be seriously industrialized. Off the track for any major wars. Not many targets for the Luftwaffe. Not important enough to get the serious attention of corrupt, greedy and/or lefty town planners after WW2

So they have survived intact. Once, most British towns were likely as pretty as Ludlow/Ross/Hereford etc
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 808
    I think the government needs to take one of two approaches to the phasing out of cash being accepted for payment:

1) Require certain shops (e.g. supermarkets and/or chains above a certain size) to accept cash for transactions up to an agreed value. This is shifting certain public utility considerations onto larger shops to ensure those without a bank account or access to a payment card are able to complete transactions needed to live. The government might want to subsidise or create a market incentive for this if it wanted to be fair to the private firms.

2) Ensure there is a readily available payment solution accessible to everyone, whether they are children or criminals. No one, other than those convicted to be in jail, should be unable to carry out day-to-day activities due to banks refusing their custom. There needs to be a universal solution, such as a cash debit card that can be topped up at your local post office and be used in any card payment machine.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Delete
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,927
    darkage said:

It is worth watching what happens to the government over their solution to the 'nitrates' issue that has been 'blocking housebuilding'. Their idea is to selectively disapply the EU Habitats directive which it can do as a 'Brexit dividend', IE scrap european environmental law. But of course it always promised that it would never do that, and it is also doing it at a time where there is massive controversy over the conduct of utilities companies and pollution. I can't see this working out well for them.

Indeed. Politics and timing. They have a sort of point about this narrow issue. But to make the change when everyone in rural constituencies is thinking about polluted watercourses and nitrate runoff is…brave. It’s a remainer gift too.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    edited September 2023

Dad hasn't worked out Apple Pay yet but has been all in on Contactless for years

Dad hasn't worked out Apple Pay yet but has been all in on Contactless for years

There really is some utter shite peddled on here about cashless living. Two completely false accounts of my experiences in the space on a hour.

There is so little reason to use cash, the PB Cash Fetishists now resort to just making stuff up!!
    They are loons.

I’d be happy for a statutory requirement that certain public or quasi-public services must accept cash, but otherwise you are basically just burdening small enterprises.

Attempts to make us feel sorry for mythical 93 year olds who cannot cope without their passbooks as they drive their 1981 diesel across the ULEZ border for their monthly trip to see their parish priest are beyond parody.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,135
    Just think of the people using bank books at the moment. They can't be scammed or ripped off, unless someone physically steals their bank book. Isn't that a positive thing.
  • Options

There really is some utter shite peddled on here about cashless living. Two completely false accounts of my experiences in the space on a hour.

There is so little reason to use cash, the PB Cash Fetishists now resort to just making stuff up!!
    They are loons.

I’d be happy for a statutory requirement that certain public or quasi-public services must accept cash, but otherwise you are basically just burdening small enterprises.

Attempts to make us feel sorry for mythical 93 year olds who cannot cope without their passbooks as they drive their 1981 diesel across the ULEZ border for their monthly trip to see their parish priest are beyond parody.
    Make it a statutory requirement that banks must offer banking services to everyone, without discrimination, and any "problems" with people not having access are resolved.

If businesses prefer to continue to accept cash, to pander to its fetishists, then that's their free choice, no harm in that.

If they don't, no harm in that either.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Finally finished my mad week's work; I've done seventy seven hours since the Bank Holiday

I'm going to do precisely fuck all tomorrow

I don't even have to walk the dog as my folks are away (in Sandbanks, with the dog) .. (I don't ever have to walk the dog, I just always do in the morning on days off. My Dad pays me in fine wine)

I'm having a bottle of this this evening

ps $13,300 per bottle is in Argentinian Pesos, not US dollars. About thirty quid

This wine is seriously good

It's lightly oaked, and extremely fruity; almost like a near neat plum and red berry cordial. The fruitiness completely covers the tannins, and the 14% alcohol. It has a slightly treacly aftertaste

If you're someone who would pay thirty quid for a bottle of wine, get this

They only made about ten thousand bottles of it
    What is it? Your description leaves me not knowing if I’d like or loath it. I love bright, berry-fruity reds (the description sounds like a Cabernet or Merlot) but I hate jammy tasting over-alcoholic tongue burners. Which of those is it?
    I linked to the vineyard's website in a 'this' in my first post

It's 2020 Matias Riccitelli Tinto De La Casa from Mendoza

It's a blend of two malbecs, that doesn't burn my tongue!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Ludlow it is! A foaming pint of virtual perry for @Carnyx and a faux thimble of Ludlow gin for @boulay

Here’s my room in case anyone is scared that I’m suffering unduly on my Official Gazette Welsh Marches Road Trip

We were in Ludlow for a weekend a month ago. It's alright - nothing to write home about though.
    You're not easily impressed are you.
    I may have been being a bit churlish; Ludlow is lovely. It has a fine church, an interesting and quite well-preserved castle, and a lot of good C17th buildings.

A weekend is plenty though, I don't think we'll be going back for a few years.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

For those who don’t know what a passbook is here is mine from 1985 which my mother found the other week in some of my late old man’s belongings as an illustration.

And this is what we are expecting banks to maintain?

I've heard it all now.
    What the hell is the frigging point of one of those in this day and age?

Seems even more pointless than chequebooks.

Never had one.
    Its an age and wealth thing.

None of my kids carry cash, I carry cash and cards. They slag me off for carrying cash, bur very so often they get caught short and I dont.

The better off are likely to use e payment, the less well off less so.

Cash will probably have its day but until we have covered access to all I see no reason to accelerate it,

Do parents these days give their teenage kids pocket money as a bank transfer?
    Any money my son earns through doing work around the house gets paid by bank transfer. He has even asked gifts to be paid by BACS (from relatives etc) as cash just burns a hole in his pocket. He's found saving much easier since we abolished cash entirely.
    That's interesting, I always assumed that the problem is the otherway round. You have much less of a feeling how much you are spending when paying with a card or an app, which i would have thought easily leads to overspending. I was in the UK last month and it was annoying how many barstaff would hold the card reader with the amount being charged facing them, so I had to stand on tiptoes, lean over and read the price upside down.

I guess the reality is some people have more of a problem overspending with cash in the pocket and others more of a problem overspending with cashless payment.
    I think my kids are a similar age to OLB's - and their issue with cash is keeping it in one place. Inevitably some of the abrogate the responsibility and hand their money over to me to keep in my wallet until they want to spend some of it, which inevitably gets muddled with my money, and I have to keep a running mental tally of how much of each daughter's money is mine. And that's without all the money scattered around their room in various piggy banks, money boxes etc which they have acquired over the years. It was a great relief when they started using cards.
    Another big problem with cash, right there. It really is a deeply flawed mode of tender.
    Cash isn't 'deeply flawed', just as a notepad and pen isn't deeply flawed despite the presence of word processing software. Cash, cards, phones (I guess) - all have their advantages and drawbacks.
    Despite the inconveniences above, I'm not going to be giving my 8 year old a bank card, because she will lose it.
    It is deeply flawed, that's why lots of people simply stopped using it many years ago and have never looked back.

Electronic payments: The buyer taps his phone, the money goes straight into the retailer's account.

Cash: The buyer takes his card to a machine, converting perfectly functional, electronic money into slips of paper and shards of metal that he now has to carry about his person. These odd scraps of material are then offered to a retailer who has to find more scraps of material to give back to the buyer as change. If the retailer lacks the correct composition of material, the transaction fails. Assuming he has the correct composition, the retailer now has to store these scraps of material in a secure place, at cost and risk to himself, before finding additional time in his working week to transport said scraps of material to a place, probably several miles away, so he can given them to a lady in a pin-striped skirt who doesn't want them either. Said lady has to them put them in a secure place, at cost and risk to her own business, so they can be transported at even more cost to her business to an even more secure place, at which point she is able to convert them back into electronic money for the retailer, who could have just been paid directly in electronic money in the first place.

Electronic payments: reliant on thr tech working.
    Cash: not reliant on the tech working.
    Fake news.

I was left high and dry in Southeast Europe recently because the only ATM in the resort I was staying in had conked out, and the restaurant I was eating in took only cash (like lots of the places there, it was a real step back in time). It was a right palaver, which required me to ask a taxi to park illegally at the next resort while I literally legged it in 30c heat to another cashpoint. Cash is an antiquated system that – ironically – relies far too heavily on machines.
    You want to ban cash based retail when the business and their customers are happy with those restrictions?
    Er, nope.

I have said on here several times, probably dozens of time, I wouldn’t ban cash nor cash based retail.

Do I need to say it yet again FFS?
    Ban was your word not mine. But you are happy to "restrict", as you said above.
    Wrong. You said I wanted to ban cash - a lie. I have said repeatedly otherwise.
    You introduced the word ban. I didn't.

I'll leave it there
    You said I wanted to ban cash. You wrote that. It’s a simple lie.
    You had a meal in a restaurant without checking if it conforms to your extremist beliefs, or that you had enough cash for a sensible period of time? That's *brave*. Seriously ****ing insane. You could have been washing plates till 5 am.
    Paying electronically is an extremist belief? Not in this day and age.

If a firm only wants to take payment by cash, or only electronically, then they should say that up front nowadays. If they do and its not the one you want, then don't dine their. If they don't, then its a bit late afterwards and they might need to be flexible to get their payment, eg accept a BACS transfer if no card machine.

I had similar a few months ago when I had my MOT done. New garage I'd never been to before, needed a new clutch and other work so I'd found it online and it was by far the cheapest for all the work needed. Booked it, had the work done, then surprise, surprise the card machine was "broken". Great, well I don't carry cash let alone £570 of cash with me and no I'm absolutely not going to the bank to withdraw it. So I offered a BACS transfer, I said there was not a chance I was going to pay cash because of their "broken" machine, the guy working there was clearly disgruntled about having electronic records of the payment.

Guess now I know how they quoted so cheap, but seriously WTF?
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

For those who don’t know what a passbook is here is mine from 1985 which my mother found the other week in some of my late old man’s belongings as an illustration.

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

None of my kids carry cash, I carry cash and cards. They slag me off for carrying cash, bur very so often they get caught short and I dont.

Cash will probably have its day but until we have covered access to all I see no reason to accelerate it,

Any money my son earns through doing work around the house gets paid by bank transfer. He has even asked gifts to be paid by BACS (from relatives etc) as cash just burns a hole in his pocket. He's found saving much easier since we abolished cash entirely.
    That's interesting, I always assumed that the problem is the otherway round. You have much less of a feeling how much you are spending when paying with a card or an app, which i would have thought easily leads to overspending. I was in the UK last month and it was annoying how many barstaff would hold the card reader with the amount being charged facing them, so I had to stand on tiptoes, lean over and read the price upside down.

I guess the reality is some people have more of a problem overspending with cash in the pocket and others more of a problem overspending with cashless payment.
    I think my kids are a similar age to OLB's - and their issue with cash is keeping it in one place. Inevitably some of the abrogate the responsibility and hand their money over to me to keep in my wallet until they want to spend some of it, which inevitably gets muddled with my money, and I have to keep a running mental tally of how much of each daughter's money is mine. And that's without all the money scattered around their room in various piggy banks, money boxes etc which they have acquired over the years. It was a great relief when they started using cards.
    Another big problem with cash, right there. It really is a deeply flawed mode of tender.
    Cash isn't 'deeply flawed', just as a notepad and pen isn't deeply flawed despite the presence of word processing software. Cash, cards, phones (I guess) - all have their advantages and drawbacks.
    Despite the inconveniences above, I'm not going to be giving my 8 year old a bank card, because she will lose it.
    It is deeply flawed, that's why lots of people simply stopped using it many years ago and have never looked back.

Electronic payments: The buyer taps his phone, the money goes straight into the retailer's account.

Cash: The buyer takes his card to a machine, converting perfectly functional, electronic money into slips of paper and shards of metal that he now has to carry about his person. These odd scraps of material are then offered to a retailer who has to find more scraps of material to give back to the buyer as change. If the retailer lacks the correct composition of material, the transaction fails. Assuming he has the correct composition, the retailer now has to store these scraps of material in a secure place, at cost and risk to himself, before finding additional time in his working week to transport said scraps of material to a place, probably several miles away, so he can given them to a lady in a pin-striped skirt who doesn't want them either. Said lady has to them put them in a secure place, at cost and risk to her own business, so they can be transported at even more cost to her business to an even more secure place, at which point she is able to convert them back into electronic money for the retailer, who could have just been paid directly in electronic money in the first place.

Fake news.

I was left high and dry in Southeast Europe recently because the only ATM in the resort I was staying in had conked out, and the restaurant I was eating in took only cash (like lots of the places there, it was a real step back in time). It was a right palaver, which required me to ask a taxi to park illegally at the next resort while I literally legged it in 30c heat to another cashpoint. Cash is an antiquated system that – ironically – relies far too heavily on machines.
    You want to ban cash based retail when the business and their customers are happy with those restrictions?
    Er, nope.

I have said on here several times, probably dozens of time, I wouldn’t ban cash nor cash based retail.

I'll leave it there
    You had a meal in a restaurant without checking if it conforms to your extremist beliefs, or that you had enough cash for a sensible period of time? That's *brave*. Seriously ****ing insane. You could have been washing plates till 5 am.

If a firm only wants to take payment by cash, or only electronically, then they should say that up front nowadays. If they do and its not the one you want, then don't dine their. If they don't, then its a bit late afterwards and they might need to be flexible to get their payment, eg accept a BACS transfer if no card machine.

I had similar a few months ago when I had my MOT done. New garage I'd never been to before, needed a new clutch and other work so I'd found it online and it was by far the cheapest for all the work needed. Booked it, had the work done, then surprise, surprise the card machine was "broken". Great, well I don't carry cash let alone £570 of cash with me and no I'm absolutely not going to the bank to withdraw it. So I offered a BACS transfer, I said there was not a chance I was going to pay cash because of their "broken" machine, the guy working there was clearly disgruntled about having electronic records of the payment.

You're the one being unreasonable. Cash is legal tender. Some mobile phone isn't.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

You're the one being unreasonable. Cash is legal tender. Some mobile phone isn't.
    You're wrong, as legal tender is a next-to-meaningless phrase in this country, so that's moot. Shops, businesses and individuals are under no legal or moral obligation to pay with obsolete "legal tender".

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines/#:~:text=Notes:,in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes.

Any business can demand payment in any way they see fit, only for settlement of debts in courts in exact legal tender is it relevant.
    Absolutely right.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,973
    edited September 2023
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Nah, it's a great film, with genuine laughs and an entertainingly perky cast and plot.
    It's...fine. Probably as good as you could have done with a Barbie movie, it had a few decent laughs in it, but it only had two basic jokes/points, repeated over and over.

I congratulate the filmmakers on their success, and for getting people out to the cinema, but I confess to being a bit baffled how it became such an event movie (Oppenheimer to a lesser degree the same, being a decent but overlong biopic, so again pretty standard).

Then again Super Mario Bros and Avatar 2, two other massively successful films, are also very forgettable movies (the latter far worse written though). And much of the rest of the top 20 are a lot worse (I've seen 15 of them).

Astonishingly so, if you look back fifty years.
    https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1973/top-grossing-movies
    Of those only Live and Let Die, Magnum Force and Battle for The Planet of the Apes would be considered as sequels. Some real variety too, in terms of what pulled in the audiences.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just think of the people using bank books at the moment. They can't be scammed or ripped off, unless someone physically steals their bank book. Isn't that a positive thing.

'Unless' is doing a lot there.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ludlow has at least five pubs dating from pre-16th century ie medieval. I know this coz I just walked past them

The pub I’m in now dates from 1102

1102!!!!

When this pub was built the fields and hovels all around would still have been full of Anglo Saxons staring murderously at the obnoxious new Normans in the shiny new castle. I sense some of them are still staring

“Nothing to write home about”???

FFS

No mate, when that pub was built (as a house not a pub) Charles II was on the throne. So it's quite old but not C12th.

You've fallen for the guff they put on the food menu. There was an ale house on the site in 1102 but not this one.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1220623?section=official-list-entry
    “Hidden away in a courtyard, this is probably Ludlow?s oldest pub. It has medieval origins with the rear wing dating from the C15, while a two-light window in the rear wall probably dates from the C14. “

Very difficult to date fabric of a non church building back before C14, but they claim to have deeds as a building (not a pub) dating to 1102
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I’m struggling to work out what the cash debate protagonists are arguing about, policy wise, but maybe I missed an earlier explainer.

Is it one side saying that shops shouldn’t be allowed to be cash-only, and the other saying that’s their choice?

Or one side saying shops shouldn’t be allowed to be card / contactless only, and the other saying that’s their choice?

Or is it Twitter-style cognitive dissonance where one side believes shops should be forced to accept cash but allowed to refuse cards, and the other says they should be forced to take cards but allowed to refuse cash?
  • Options
    Ratters said:

I think the government needs to take one of two approaches to the phasing out of cash being accepted for payment:

1) Require certain shops (e.g. supermarkets and/or chains above a certain size) to accept cash for transactions up to an agreed value. This is shifting certain public utility considerations onto larger shops to ensure those without a bank account or access to a payment card are able to complete transactions needed to live. The government might want to subsidise or create a market incentive for this if it wanted to be fair to the private firms.

2) Ensure there is a readily available payment solution accessible to everyone, whether they are children or criminals. No one, other than those convicted to be in jail, should be unable to carry out day-to-day activities due to banks refusing their custom. There needs to be a universal solution, such as a cash debit card that can be topped up at your local post office and be used in any card payment machine.

2) Topped up with what?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Sure... but what do you think of Barbie?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited September 2023
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Astonishingly so, if you look back fifty years.
    https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1973/top-grossing-movies
    Of those only Live and Let Die, Magnum Force and Battle for The Planet of the Apes would be considered as sequels. Some real variety too, in terms of what pulled in the audiences.
    And yet in 1973 there were only 23 movies that sold more than a million tickets.

In 2022 there were 73 that did so: https://www.the-numbers.com/market/2022/top-grossing-movies

And some real variety there too, in terms of what pulled in the audiences, if you compare like-for-like at the million plus mark.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Good film, but disappointingly little in the way of nuclear mushroom clouds.
  • Options

Finally finished my mad week's work; I've done seventy seven hours since the Bank Holiday

I don't even have to walk the dog as my folks are away (in Sandbanks, with the dog) .. (I don't ever have to walk the dog, I just always do in the morning on days off. My Dad pays me in fine wine)

ps $13,300 per bottle is in Argentinian Pesos, not US dollars. About thirty quid

It's lightly oaked, and extremely fruity; almost like a near neat plum and red berry cordial. The fruitiness completely covers the tannins, and the 14% alcohol. It has a slightly treacly aftertaste

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t think you actually named the wine, unless I missed it?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Good film, but disappointingly little in the way of nuclear mushroom clouds.
    Super Mario Bros had the mushroom kingdom, but missed out on the nuclear mushroom clouds too ...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I may have been being a bit churlish; Ludlow is lovely. It has a fine church, an interesting and quite well-preserved castle, and a lot of good C17th buildings.

No, you’re a fucking idiot if you thought Ludlow is “nothing to write home about”

It is historically and architecturally stunning. 500+ listed buildings. Perhaps the most per sq m anywhere in the UK

Right now I am sitting in my bedroom overlooking the weir under the castle on the hill and all I can hear is some happy summer evening conversation in the soft soft warmth and then the gushing water outside, which is perfect, because Ludlow comes from Old English “hlud” = loud, and “hlow”, hill or hillock, so Ludlow means the hill by the loud water, which is where I am precisely, and happily drunk after a superb meal cooked by a genius young chef who worked for Raymond Blanc when he was 17

BURP
  • Options
    TimS said:

I’m struggling to work out what the cash debate protagonists are arguing about, policy wise, but maybe I missed an earlier explainer.

Is it one side saying that shops shouldn’t be allowed to be cash-only, and the other saying that’s their choice?

Or one side saying shops shouldn’t be allowed to be card / contactless only, and the other saying that’s their choice?

Or is it Twitter-style cognitive dissonance where one side believes shops should be forced to accept cash but allowed to refuse cards, and the other says they should be forced to take cards but allowed to refuse cash?

One side is saying retailers should be forced to accept cash, the other side is saying it’s up to the retailers what they accept (the status quo). Bart, Correct and I are on the side of the status quo…

(Literally nobody is suggesting banning cash unless I’ve missed that?)
  • Options
    64 films this year have already surpassed the million ticket mark, which is 41 more than 1973, and the year isn't over yet.

So much for the demise of variety or the cinema.

And if you scroll down the full list rather than just the top names, there's quite a bit of variety in that 64 so far to hit a million plus. And then there's Cocaine Bear of course.

Nostalgia about the "good old days" is typically misplaced. There's more variety today, its not all sequels or comic/action films either.

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/2023/top-grossing-movies
  • Options

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t think you actually named the wine, unless I missed it?
    I put this link in a 'this'

https://matiasriccitelli.com/tienda/tinto-de-la-casa/

It obviously wasn't obvious!
  • Options

I put this link in a 'this'

https://matiasriccitelli.com/tienda/tinto-de-la-casa/

It obviously wasn't obvious!
    Okay, cheers - sorry I missed it 😌
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

With towns I think you either remain at arms length and do the sights, or get sucked into the vibe. The latter is purely a personal response. Clearly Ludlow didn’t pull at your heart, just the head.

I think we all get that differentiated response when we travel. Some places suck us in such that we’d gladly spend a month just flâneuring around and soaking up the atmosphere while others we find interesting but it’s a more transactional.

I had that with the Derby dales recently. Interesting but no emotional pull. Abroad I get the same in Venice, Madrid, Florence, Amsterdam, San Francisco, got it with Corsica last year too - I could appreciate the beauty but never really felt it. Whereas surprising places like Ludlow, Beaujolais or Copenhagen do it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    Great comment in this article at the critic https://thecritic.co.uk/the-roof-is-falling-in/

Each government has its own tone. David Cameron's had vast carelessness. Theresa May's had desperation. Boris Johnson's had chaos and Liz Truss's was a death cult. Rishi's Sunak's, it is becoming clear, is defined by a simmering resentment of the ungrateful bastards who make up the
    electorate.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 808

Ratters said:

2) Topped up with what?
    Cash or bank transfer. The post office is a semi-public utility and so can play a role even if competitive private businesses choose to shun cash.

For children it's a way to give access to pocket money digitally without needing a full bank account.

There's a few ways to do it but someone needs to play the utility role. Whether that's every business in the country (cash compulsory), large businesses only, banks or a post office.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ludlow has at least five pubs dating from pre-16th century ie medieval. I know this coz I just walked past them

The pub I’m in now dates from 1102

1102!!!!

When this pub was built the fields and hovels all around would still have been full of Anglo Saxons staring murderously at the obnoxious new Normans in the shiny new castle. I sense some of them are still staring

“Nothing to write home about”???

FFS

No mate, when that pub was built (as a house not a pub) Charles II was on the throne. So it's quite old but not C12th.

You've fallen for the guff they put on the food menu. There was an ale house on the site in 1102 but not this one.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1220623?section=official-list-entry
    “Hidden away in a courtyard, this is probably Ludlow?s oldest pub. It has medieval origins with the rear wing dating from the C15, while a two-light window in the rear wall probably dates from the C14. “

Very difficult to date fabric of a non church building back before C14, but they claim to have deeds as a building (not a pub) dating to 1102
    I seem to recall there are several pubs claiming to be 'Ludlow's oldest', which I don't have an issue with. Ye Old Bull Ring Tavern has a 'circa 1365' sign on it's C19th facade. It's all a bit of fun.

Have you seen The Reader's House yet? One of Ludlow's 8 grade 1 listed buildings. It's round the back of the church.
  • Options
    https://x.com/jaheale/status/1698788497199407473

Theresa May’s parliamentary painting just dropped

• Options

TimS said:

One side is saying retailers should be forced to accept cash, the other side is saying it’s up to the retailers what they accept (the status quo). Bart, Correct and I are on the side of the status quo…

(Literally nobody is suggesting banning cash unless I’ve missed that?)
    The flip side of retailers being forced to accept cash presumably being that they should also be forced to accept cards. Both involve cost - commission for cards, and lock boxes and security / travel to the bank for cash.

But I expect I’m about 100 steps behind in this debate so I’ll leave you to it.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

2) Topped up with what?
    Cash or bank transfer. The post office is a semi-public utility and so can play a role even if competitive private businesses choose to shun cash.

For children it's a way to give access to pocket money digitally without needing a full bank account.

There's a few ways to do it but someone needs to play the utility role. Whether that's every business in the country (cash compulsory), large businesses only, banks or a post office.
    Sounds like the Post Office Card Account (closed 2022). Another triumph for privatisation.
  • Options
    Here’s my private chef for the evening. Harry. Started work at Hibiscus (Michelin 1 star) age 12. Literally 12. Worked for Nathan Outlaw and Raymond Blanc since

He’s still only 26. Going places

• Options
    Mad isn’t it: half ten in September and I’m sitting out in t-shirt and shorts on the patio. The local weather station current temperature is 20C, and it’s warmer still further west.

• Options

Liz Truss's too:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    God, I love this job

• Options
    Wow. The Daily Mail front page.

It's over for Sunak.
  • Options
    Why don't we keep using cheques?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,466

The eyes aren't even aligned, Paul McCartney after the stroke ward.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    Leon said:

God, I love this job

Red wine in a Champagne flute? Careful when you tip it back or you'll have a dry cleaner's bill....
  • Options
    If there isn't a pact in Mid Beds, the Tories probably have a fairly good chance of winning.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

Red wine in a Champagne flute? Careful when you tip it back or you'll have a dry cleaner's bill....
    A fairly rare Lambrusco

• Options
    edited September 2023
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

Some kind of aperitif, shirley? Pineau des Charentes Rouge?

Edit: no wait, I've got this one... A fairly rare Lambrusco?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

Ah, very good. This place, formerly of Trumpington, now of Great Shelford, has a special interest in red sparkling:

https://www.nywinesbar.co.uk/

Never tried one myself, but a friend raves about an aussie sparkling Shiraz.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

'Wild Cornish Monkfish'? Do they have tame ones too then?
  • Options

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

Some kind of aperitif, shirley? Pineau des Charentes Rouge?

Edit: no wait, I've got this one... A fairly rare Lambrusco?
    The french are somewhat tasteless when it comes to aperitifs. Not for them the palate-sharpening cold dry fino - I had a gross concoction of port and wine and herbs and sugar in an otherwise rather good restaurant in Mersault.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,159

Hands are too big. A person's hands are approximately as big as the face (chin to eyebrows/forehead), but the portraits hands are as big/bigger than the head. Was the photo of the portrait taken at an angle?
  • Options

Why don't we keep using cheques?

Letts keep Czeching up on the Poles!
  • Options

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If there isn't a pact in Mid Beds, the Tories probably have a fairly good chance of winning.

Although even the Daily Mail has given up if today's front page is anything to go by:

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217

Less than a third of Gen Z polled think Royal family is good for Britain

YouGov poll reveals stark decline in support for the monarchy, with roughly a 50 per cent drop among young people in a decade

Only three in 10 young people think the Royal family is good for Britain, a new YouGov poll has revealed.

A majority of those aged 18-24 also said they held a negative opinion of the King as he approaches the first anniversary of his reign, with 52 per cent expressing disapproval.

The figures pose a significant problem for the monarchy, suggesting that attitudes among Generation Z have not improved in the last three years.

Younger Britons have been divided on whether or not to keep the monarchy since 2020, when the Duke of York’s friendship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein and Harry and Meghan’s fractious exit from royal life saw support plummet.

The latest survey suggests that just over a third of 18 to 24-year-olds want the UK to retain the monarchy, while 40 per cent would prefer an elected head of state.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/09/04/yougov-poll-young-people-monarchy-royal-family-bad-britain/

Given 62% of 18 to 24s voted for Corbyn in 2019 and just 19% voted Tory, for 18 to 24s to be almost equally split 40-36% on the monarchy is actually pretty good for monarchists.

54% of 18 to 24s have a positive view of Prince William and just 29% negative, 53% also have a positive view of the Princess of Wales and they will be King and Queen by the time 18 to 24s get anywhere near relevant electorally given the age of the median UK voter is now 50

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/5nhnwyt4ui/Internal_RoyalFavourability_230831_W.pdf
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Where are you staying in Ludlow?

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Although even the Daily Mail has given up if today's front page is anything to go by:

Thoughts and prayers with Quentin Letts, who was so looking forward to getting Starmer in his sights.
  • Options

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

The ceviche was excellent and the beef was superb

The canapés and pud were less wow

But he’s a bloody good young chef who will get a Michelin star if he can be arsed. Born in Ludlow and absolutely dedicated

He genuinely started working in Hibiscus at the age of 12. Used to beg for kitchen work on the way home from school!

• Options
    eek said:

Great comment in this article at the critic https://thecritic.co.uk/the-roof-is-falling-in/

Each government has its own tone. David Cameron's had vast carelessness. Theresa May's had desperation. Boris Johnson's had chaos and Liz Truss's was a death cult. Rishi's Sunak's, it is becoming clear, is defined by a simmering resentment of the ungrateful bastards who make up the
    electorate.

"We are considerably richer than you!"
  • Options
    Funny to consider that Barbie is apparently most popular in Red States, (and Oppenheimer in Blue States).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines
    No, I don't believe these beauties can be farmed.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Here

https://www.dinhamweirhouse.co.uk/

It’s a beautiful mill house converted into mega-luxe self catering. Hence the private chef
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,988
    viewcode said:

Hands are too big. A person's hands are approximately as big as the face (chin to eyebrows/forehead), but the portraits hands are as big/bigger than the head. Was the photo of the portrait taken at an angle?
    You can always tell when an artist has just used a generator by looking at the hands, Cash in the bank...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines

That's a still from Alien surely?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines

That's a still from Alien surely?
    I thought it was @Pagan2 in his evening wear
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines

Obviously doesn't like photographers.
  • Options

I pity the artist who has to do Liz under a desk. The lighting vs. shadows is going to be hell.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

If everyone could pay electronically you would have a point simple fact is not all can so you position excludes them from society. They cannot buy food get a car repaired etc
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Here

It’s a beautiful mill house converted into mega-luxe self catering. Hence the private chef
    Thanks. Wow.

I haven't been to Ludlow since I was a youth hostelling student thirty years ago.

Seems to have gone a tad up market since.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    This is quite clever. Donald Trump singing Rich Men North of Richmond. Must have taken a long time to put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu6kfj188jo
  • Options

If you were a sane person and actually has some cash on you like most people it wouldnt have happened....hardly anyones fault apart from yours that you are an idiot
  • Options
    Looks like Keegan is toast.

Or old concrete.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines

Reminds me. I was watching an early Keith Floyd programme during lockdown and he was :eyerolling: cooking a particular shellfish off the coast of SW England. OMG so much work and yuk!

30yrs later I realise it's an Abalone and probably worth a grand in SE Asia if treated properly rather than rubbed with a pot scrubber in between necking wine.
  • Options
    reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) is going to become a massive scandal.

How many public buildings of 60s and 70s used this stuff which a leading materials engineer has told the Guardian he wouldn't touch for roofing structure and most of his colleagues were the same?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Pagan2 said:

If you were a sane person and actually has some cash on you like most people it wouldnt have happened....hardly anyones fault apart from yours that you are an idiot
    Er, I went to the cash machine in the morning to withdraw what I needed. It was kaput. Do you walk around with €250 in your pocket at all times?

• Options
    I have to go shortly because my father is playing up but before I go a question for those that advocate only electronic payments

It gives the governement access to everything you spend....how will you feel when your card is refused because the governement has decided to block you buying more than 14 units of alcohol a week...or you cant order a takeaway because you have had to much salt, sugar or whatever this week. Electronic only payments allow this and you want to put that power in the hands of whoever is in charge?
  • Options
    Another cash anecdote from Southeast Europe. Took a boat trip, had plenty of cash on me to pay. At the end of the boat trip the guy revealed he had no change, so we couldn’t complete the transaction. In the end, I had to go to a market stall to change my money, just so I could pay him.

What a bloody daft system, I thought.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Pagan2 said:

I have to go shortly because my father is playing up but before I go a question for those that advocate only electronic payments

It gives the governement access to everything you spend....how will you feel when your card is refused because the governement has decided to block you buying more than 14 units of alcohol a week...or you cant order a takeaway because you have had to much salt, sugar or whatever this week. Electronic only payments allow this and you want to put that power in the hands of whoever is in charge?

In such a situation we will obviously have replaced democratic governments with a dictatorship. Keeping cash is not going to prevent a dictatorship.

(Hope your father is ok)
  • Options
    "Manhunter" (Michael Mann/Grissom from CSI) is on BBC 2 11:15.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey, don't you know that I looove you...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,228
    edited September 2023
    Pagan2 said:

The question is not should we have only electronic payments?

It is, do we want to implement legislation that forces merchants to accept cash?

Because if we are unwilling to force businesses to take cash then it will die.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,228

Ratters said:

2) Topped up with what?
    Bitcoin, duh.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

It is, do we want to implement legislation that forces merchants to accept cash?

Indeed that is the question, and my answer is no, we should not force them.

• Options
    Damn this film has a good soundtrack. The framing is deliberate. Dennis Farina and Grissom sat on a pale log in front of a seascape. They are facing in opposite directions.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

This is already the case! I bought a few grams of heroin on my Amex the other day and next thing I knew the police had arrested me! Managed to sort it out though, and will forgo the air miles next time and use cash.

Serious point though is that heroin is illegal and buying 15 units of alcohol isn’t. If HMG legislates in the future to make buying 15 units is wrong then that’s democracy. Vote against it if you don’t like it.

Steve
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited September 2023
    Ratters said:

The practical problem here is that the government (including the next one) doesn't actually want you to be able to pay for food without everything you do being tracked and permissioned by a private company the follows arbitrary government directions via a secretive, unaccountable route. They created this situation and they want it to continue.

So the only options if we don't want the dystopian outcomes are:

1) Make cryptocurrency work at scale
    2) Ally with the powerful Confused Elderly Person lobby to keep cash working for as long as we can
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,023

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cash will just go the same way as cheques.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Kim Greist and Grissom on a bed, a blue wash over all of them. It's set at night but clear as day. Kim has this and "Brazil" on her CV
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Here

Thanks. Wow.

I haven't been to Ludlow since I was a youth hostelling student thirty years ago.

Seems to have gone a tad up market since.
    Shropshire is fucking gorgeous.
  • Options
    Grissom walks thru the victims house. The profiler genre starts here, as he Intuits the events. Holmes with a twist. It's a bad genre and it ends with the victimisation of Colin Stagg. But it's never looked as sexy as this.
  • Options
    He's smoking. In a lift. It's the 80s, people. Shot from below in a lift with glass walls, he and it ascends
  • Options
    The soundtrack is a soundscape: laying down tones to express a mood, and colour to express a mood. Vague industrial sound, synth chords kicking in. Grissom is whispering: you can hear his breathing.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,545
    edited September 2023
    Off topic, but nothing to do with cash versus cards: Vietnam, as some of you must know, banned "Barbie". (They don't like the Chinese map in the movie. They have a point. Probably)

The Philipppines may do the same, for the same reason.
    https://www.npr.org/2023/07/06/1186178724/barbie-movie-philippines-vietnam-china-map
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

A fairly rare Lambrusco

Farmed, one imagines

Obviously doesn't like photographers.
    Still beats poor TMay's parliamentary portrait.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/CentralBylines/status/1698816462679400939?t=HQfnsGXitahdU6fSgyCWcQ&s=19

A whistleblower exclusively tells East Anglia Bylines the education secretary deliberately mounted a cover-up of the RAAC dangers

in early February, two months after the risk level was raised to high, Education Secretary Gillian Keegan remarked, “We just need to keep the lid on this for two years and then it’s someone else’s problem.“
  • Options

https://twitter.com/CentralBylines/status/1698816462679400939?t=HQfnsGXitahdU6fSgyCWcQ&s=19

A whistleblower exclusively tells East Anglia Bylines the education secretary deliberately mounted a cover-up of the RAAC dangers

in early February, two months after the risk level was raised to high, Education Secretary Gillian Keegan remarked, “We just need to keep the lid on this for two years and then it’s someone else’s problem.“

Ahahahahahahaha

Ha.

• Options
    Everything is clean. The offices are lecture theatres, art galleries. They all have places in the frame. The professionals are controlled, everybody is good at their job
  • Options
    Real life intervenes: untidy. Stephen Lang is a journalist, scabrous. A Mann regular, he was in Crime Story. Twenty years later, he's on Pandora.
  • Options
    And we're back with the professionals again. White walls, white bars. The pointing is precise. So is the framing. Lecter on one side, Grissom on the other. It's an old trick but a goodie
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cash will just go the same way as cheques.
    I've received two cheques in my adult life. But one was last week, the other was last year.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

You can always tell when an artist has just used a generator by looking at the hands, Cash in the bank...
    They might just be a crap artist of course.
  • Options
    "Would you like to leave me your home phone number?". Brian Cox is good casting for a Mann film, precise enough for the dialog, good at flatness of effect. Hopkins does it better in Silence, but it's a different tone
This discussion has been closed.