Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could there be a LAB-LD pact in mid-Beds? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,147
    Alex Cox did a Moviedrome on this film. I could recite chunks in the past. Swiss-cheese brain now, but bits still stick. "If you want the scent, smell yourself"
  • Options
    Grissom runs away down a spiral staircase. In real life the set is an art museum
  • Options
    Dr Frederick Chiltern is in his office. White walls, designer lamp. His words are precise. They've found a note in Lecters cell. "I might send you something wet"
  • Options
    They're analysing the note. Person to person to person. No personality, just process."He's so sly. But so am I". Red wash.
  • Options
    They format a plan. They are working the problem. Detail, detail, detail. They intercept an ad. It's full of biblical references. They deduce the problem because they know the number of books in Galatians. In any other film that would be implausible.
  • Options
    Close ups. Head and shoulders. Everything is a portrait.
  • Options
    The journalists are back. Everything is chaotic. A man sits on a shelf. No reason
  • Options
    Grissom has body armour. They discuss bullets and penetration. Numbers are exchanged. In this film, data is intercourse
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
    edited September 2023
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

I have to go shortly because my father is playing up but before I go a question for those that advocate only electronic payments

It gives the governement access to everything you spend....how will you feel when your card is refused because the governement has decided to block you buying more than 14 units of alcohol a week...or you cant order a takeaway because you have had to much salt, sugar or whatever this week. Electronic only payments allow this and you want to put that power in the hands of whoever is in charge?

The question is not should we have only electronic payments?

It is, do we want to implement legislation that forces merchants to accept cash?

Indeed that is the question, and my answer is no, we should not force them.

Cash will just go the same way as cheques.
    We still use cheques to pay the milkman. (The cost of the cheque is probably almost the same as the cost of the milk, lol).
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Another nighttime scene. Everything is clearly lit. The journalist is back, colorful clothing against monochrome cars. Oh, I get it now.
  • Options
    "if you don't open your eyes, I'll staple your eyelids to your forehead" Dolarhyde is in the room
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201
    ….
  • Options
    "Do you see?" The room has a red photographic mural of a marscape. It's not the most discordant thing in the room. The journalist is giving the performance of his life. Which is handy, because there's not a lot of it left.

• Options
    "Gillian Keegan’s ‘hot mic’ moment shows a government in its final throes
    While some may simply see it as a lesson in staying schtum, others will regard it as the writing on the wall for the Conservatives
    Camilla Tominey"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/09/04/itv-publishing-gillian-keegan-swearing-government-out
  • Options
    Bad guy has Grissom's home address. The blue wash is back. Blue is domesticity.
  • Options
    They take Kim to a safehouse. No blue wash. Another mural. Domesticity disrupted. They do human things and shop for food. We're back to cod psychology again. A bit of plot gets explained. Infodump. Grissom is empathic. A psychic with pseudoscientific overlay. It was the 80s
  • Options

Dad hasn't worked out Apple Pay yet but has been all in on Contactless for years

Dad hasn't worked out Apple Pay yet but has been all in on Contactless for years

There really is some utter shite peddled on here about cashless living. Two completely false accounts of my experiences in the space on a hour.

There is so little reason to use cash, the PB Cash Fetishists now resort to just making stuff up!!
    They are loons.

I’d be happy for a statutory requirement that certain public or quasi-public services must accept cash, but otherwise you are basically just burdening small enterprises.

Attempts to make us feel sorry for mythical 93 year olds who cannot cope without their passbooks as they drive their 1981 diesel across the ULEZ border for their monthly trip to see their parish priest are beyond parody.
    Make it a statutory requirement that banks must offer banking services to everyone, without discrimination, and any "problems" with people not having access are resolved.

If businesses prefer to continue to accept cash, to pander to its fetishists, then that's their free choice, no harm in that.

If they don't, no harm in that either.
    And who will pay for that?

At the moment the market makes basic banking zero cost but subsidised by other banking products such as loans.

O assuming these customers are not suitable for other products you are forcing a private business to perform a social service at their cost. That’s quite an imposition
  • Options
    Another nighttime scene. They are so brightly lit. I think spotlights are involved. They are staring into the middle distance
  • Options
    Neon lighting reflected off a window against the raindrops. My heart is glad
  • Options
    Dolarhyde works in photoprocessing. It's all vision with him. This is important. He meets Joan Allen. She's blind. She can't see him. Oh.
  • Options
    A tiger is anaesthetised. She strokes his fur and listens to his heart. She feels its breath. The music is fantastic, the metaphor is obvious. Dolarhyde watches her. The dragon and the tiger.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

God, I love this job

Red wine in a Champagne flute? Careful when you tip it back or you'll have a dry cleaner's bill....
    A fairly rare Lambrusco

'Wild Cornish Monkfish'? Do they have tame ones too then?
    Farmed, one imagines
    No, I don't believe these beauties can be farmed.

Obviously doesn't like photographers.
    Still beats poor TMay's parliamentary portrait.
    A certain Fen Poly college, which shall remain nameless, had to send back the portraits of the Master and his wife a few years ago, because they were crap. Hands had to be redone, and the background where one of the flowers in the wallpaper appeared to be growing out of the head of the Master's wife. And this wasn't nepotism - it was a nationally regarded young artist.
  • Options
    Dolarhyde's house. The walks aren't vertical . Joan visits him. He's playing films of the murdered family. She doesn't realise. They kiss. He doesn't know what to do. His dick works, his heart doesn't. She nuzzles to him. Soundtrack. "Oh, desire, this night on fire, turn on this light inside".
  • Options
    Sunrise. They are bathed in red. A red wash again. Red is threat.
  • Options
    New opinion poll from New Zealand.

National 31%
    Labour 24%
    ACT 18%
    Greens 12.5%
    NZ First 5.5%
    TPM 4%
    TOP 2%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_New_Zealand_general_election#Nationwide_polling
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Lecter phones Grissom. More psycho bullshit, with casual blasphemy. "If one does what God does enough times, one becomes as God is". YES WE GET IT. DUH.
  • Options
    More great soundtrack. "Father looking my eyes. See me as I really am". It's available on Varenesi records if memory serves. It's on YouTube. Dolarhyde misunderstands a gesture. "Strong as I am". Somebody dies. Francis is gone for ever.
  • Options
    More cod psychology. I want the procedural expertise back. It comes back. "It's all seeing with you sport". He deduces the whole thing, on the spot, in about five minutes. One long string of deduction, and it all makes sense. It's not plausible but it's all coherent. The music swells. He stands next to a full-length window, staring out. His colleague confirms his theory.
  • Options
    Back to Joan and Dolarhyde. More chaos. Discordant music, even the title is garbled. Oh I get it now,
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Everybody in a Mann film flies by Learjet. This is a Mann film. They fly by Learjet. We're back in professional world.
  • Options
    Are you talking about Manhunter? I love that film, the atmosphere in particular.
  • Options
    The cops stalk thru a very brightly lit nighttime wood. Dolarhyde is preparing to kill Joan very slowly. The preparation, not the killing. It has to be slow to line up with the music and the rescue. The rescue arrives. Grissom runs thru a window because reasons. Shots are fired. Dolarhyde falls, the blood from his wounds spread like wings. Subtlety is not at home.
  • Options
    We're back at home with the Grissoms. They stare out into a monochrome silver seascape. Nobody is wearing red. "Sometimes I understand things very clearly". Credits.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,057
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ludlow it is! A foaming pint of virtual perry for @Carnyx and a faux thimble of Ludlow gin for @boulay

What a stunning little town

My hotel in the first pic is Dinham Weir House

Here’s my room in case anyone is scared that I’m suffering unduly on my Official Gazette Welsh Marches Road Trip

We were in Ludlow for a weekend a month ago. It's alright - nothing to write home about though.
    It’s architecturally exquisite! A completely unharmed 13th-19th century English market town with the Shropshire hills at the end of every road

John Betjeman called it the “prettiest town in England”

However it definitely feels a lot poorer than somewhere like Hereford. Indeed, as I say, it reminds me of Hereford three decades ago - before it was gentrified
    I wouldn’t go that far, but the wealth (or lack thereof) is certainly different. Hereford is squaddies and urban families relocated from a bunch of cities including, bizarrely, Glasgow (metalworking basically). There’s a lot of light industry in the city, not least Bulmers/Heineken.

Ludlow however is proper Herefordshire rural with a smattering of expat gastro Londoners. It was also, believe it or not, the epicentre of the computer games magazine industry in the 1980s.

If you want rural poor, Craven Arms is just one stop up the railway line. Good locally owned supermarket, though.
    I went back to Hereford recently and it was proper posh compared to what I knew as a lad. I grew up there - I had Scottish friends and friends with SAS dads for the reasons you state

Every night there was a good chance of a major fight. They were guaranteed at weekends

Now it’s all sushi bars and gastro pubs and gleaming vinoteks

And for a good reason. It’s a handsome, safe, largely unspoiled cathedral city surrounded by magnificent countryside. A fine place to live. Not that I appreciated this age 17 and bored witless
    A town of two halves. I thought the Widemarsh St. end of HighTown looked good, walking down to the newish food court shopping centre (where the Cattle Market used to be) is great. The other end, Maylords Orchard and the street that used to house Chadds, whose name escapes me, looks tired. Commercial Street down to the Hospital is the same as it ever was.

Ross, by the way is much improved. Much better kept than Ledbury and Newent.

You won't like Leominster or Bromyard as they are Eastern European conclaves.
    That’s good. I’d heard sad things about Ross so yay

Leominster was lovely in my memory (possibly faulty); Bromyard was always basically Birmingham
    Leominster is fine. Lots of antique shops.

In Ross, there is a really nice little deli/cake shop/cafe if you turn right at the market house coming up from Oveross. I think it is called something like the Secret Garden. If you have a vehicle, the Moody Cow at Upton Bishop is a decent place to eat.
    The Southern Marches seem to get towns right. Alongside Herefordshire's Ledbury, Leominster and Ross there is much to be recommended in Monmouth, Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Hay, and of course Ludlow.

They also as others have noted sit somewhat outside the normal English and Welsh cultures and social fabric. They are sui generis.
    i think it’s probably just luck

Too remote to be seriously industrialized. Off the track for any major wars. Not many targets for the Luftwaffe. Not important enough to get the serious attention of corrupt, greedy and/or lefty town planners after WW2

So they have survived intact. Once, most British towns were likely as pretty as Ludlow/Ross/Hereford etc
    Ludlow was not entirely untouched by war.
    https://war-poetry.livejournal.com/626856.html
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    viewcode said:

Another nighttime scene. Everything is clearly lit. The journalist is back, colorful clothing against monochrome cars. Oh, I get it now.

The play by play, intercut with discussion of cash vs cashless is strangely disturbing.

Fine film.
  • Options
    Well there y'go. Manhunter, based on the book "Red Dragon", succeeded by an inferior remake and a TV series. The style is fantastic, the framing precise, the characters brilliant, the psychology bullshit. Profiling was adopted by real-life police forces and inevitably went wrong by cops who forgot that evidence is not an optional extra, a problem that persists. Nobody in the film acts like a real human. It's a film about a control-freak monster directed by a control-freak director. But it has style for miles and everything fits. I still quote lines from it to this day.

And that's my TED talk for the night. Goodnight children. Don't forget to lock the doors...😀
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Well there y'go. Manhunter, based on the book "Red Dragon", succeeded by an inferior remake and a TV series. The style is fantastic, the framing precise, the characters brilliant, the psychology bullshit. Profiling was adopted by real-life police forces and inevitably went wrong by cops who forgot that evidence is not an optional extra, a problem that persists. Nobody in the film acts like a real human. It's a film about a control-freak monster directed by a control-freak director. But it has style for miles and everything fits. I still quote lines from it to this day.

And that's my TED talk for the night. Goodnight children. Don't forget to lock the doors...😀

Not that that would save you…
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Are you talking about Manhunter? I love that film, the atmosphere in particular.

Yes. It was on BBC2 as I wrote it. Glad you recognised it, thank you.
  • Options
    Jordan Peterson is a bullshit artist posing as an intellectual.

This is from Skyfall. Jordan Peterson is half-remembering the villain monologue from the movie Skyfall and confidently retelling it as a historical fact. And that pretty much sums up how he gets most of his information.
    https://twitter.com/MovieHooligan/status/1698584985958219994
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jordan Peterson is a bullshit artist posing as an intellectual.

This is from Skyfall. Jordan Peterson is half-remembering the villain monologue from the movie Skyfall and confidently retelling it as a historical fact. And that pretty much sums up how he gets most of his information.
    https://twitter.com/MovieHooligan/status/1698584985958219994

Still doesn't mean he should be censored.
  • Options

There really is some utter shite peddled on here about cashless living. Two completely false accounts of my experiences in the space on a hour.

There is so little reason to use cash, the PB Cash Fetishists now resort to just making stuff up!!
    They are loons.

I’d be happy for a statutory requirement that certain public or quasi-public services must accept cash, but otherwise you are basically just burdening small enterprises.

Attempts to make us feel sorry for mythical 93 year olds who cannot cope without their passbooks as they drive their 1981 diesel across the ULEZ border for their monthly trip to see their parish priest are beyond parody.
    Make it a statutory requirement that banks must offer banking services to everyone, without discrimination, and any "problems" with people not having access are resolved.

If businesses prefer to continue to accept cash, to pander to its fetishists, then that's their free choice, no harm in that.

If they don't, no harm in that either.
    And who will pay for that?

At the moment the market makes basic banking zero cost but subsidised by other banking products such as loans.

O assuming these customers are not suitable for other products you are forcing a private business to perform a social service at their cost. That’s quite an imposition
    Make non discrimination for basic accounts a condition of having a licence.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

https://twitter.com/CentralBylines/status/1698816462679400939?t=HQfnsGXitahdU6fSgyCWcQ&s=19

A whistleblower exclusively tells East Anglia Bylines the education secretary deliberately mounted a cover-up of the RAAC dangers

in early February, two months after the risk level was raised to high, Education Secretary Gillian Keegan remarked, “We just need to keep the lid on this for two years and then it’s someone else’s problem.“

A zillion headers write themselves.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    The Lib Dems have done a tremendous amount of ground work over July and August and the number of posters going up over the seat are indicative of that. There is no way they are going to roll back their effort partiuclarly as they appear to have established themselves as the currently main activist in the seat.
    Labour cannot be seen to do anything but fight to the death.
This discussion has been closed.