Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could there be a LAB-LD pact in mid-Beds? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,982

Ratters said:

What's the note going to say when the Tories leave office?

"Sorry there's no money left and everything is falling apart at the seams"?

I recall aspects such like capital investment in areas like the NHS are appealing at a national level.

We should have invested in capital and infrastructure like mad back when the government could borrow at negative 1-2% real yields.

It's going to be a lot more costly to fix things now.

The note SHOULD say, there's no money left because we've given it to our mates.
    'There's LOADS of money left. Just ask out mates.'
  • Options

Wrong. You said I wanted to ban cash - a lie. I have said repeatedly otherwise.

They level this charge a lot. They also want to force shops to take cash even if none of their customers use it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,680

Less than a third of Gen Z polled think Royal family is good for Britain

YouGov poll reveals stark decline in support for the monarchy, with roughly a 50 per cent drop among young people in a decade

Only three in 10 young people think the Royal family is good for Britain, a new YouGov poll has revealed.

A majority of those aged 18-24 also said they held a negative opinion of the King as he approaches the first anniversary of his reign, with 52 per cent expressing disapproval.

The figures pose a significant problem for the monarchy, suggesting that attitudes among Generation Z have not improved in the last three years.

Younger Britons have been divided on whether or not to keep the monarchy since 2020, when the Duke of York’s friendship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein and Harry and Meghan’s fractious exit from royal life saw support plummet.

The latest survey suggests that just over a third of 18 to 24-year-olds want the UK to retain the monarchy, while 40 per cent would prefer an elected head of state.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/09/04/yougov-poll-young-people-monarchy-royal-family-bad-britain/

There is a genuine problem on the way if the figures stick and continue - as they well might. The monarchy is unabolishable for the simple reason it will never be in any party's interest to put it in a manifesto, even if only, say, 20% wanted to keep it. (that's 8 million voters - enough to swing any election). But it could become at the same time deeply disliked by quite a large majority. That would not be a happy state of play.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,210
    MattW said:

An enjoyable thread on the measures being taken to render numberplates unreadable to the enforcement cameras.

(Including the cases where the vehicles are exempt from the charge)

https://twitter.com/AdamBronkhorst/status/1698582416657437124

Who are these nutters? 😂

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ludlow it is! A foaming pint of virtual perry for @Carnyx and a faux thimble of Ludlow gin for @boulay

What a stunning little town

My hotel in the first pic is Dinham Weir House

Here’s my room in case anyone is scared that I’m suffering unduly on my Official Gazette Welsh Marches Road Trip

We were in Ludlow for a weekend a month ago. It's alright - nothing to write home about though.
    It’s architecturally exquisite! A completely unharmed 13th-19th century English market town with the Shropshire hills at the end of every road

John Betjeman called it the “prettiest town in England”

However it definitely feels a lot poorer than somewhere like Hereford. Indeed, as I say, it reminds me of Hereford three decades ago - before it was gentrified
    I wouldn’t go that far, but the wealth (or lack thereof) is certainly different. Hereford is squaddies and urban families relocated from a bunch of cities including, bizarrely, Glasgow (metalworking basically). There’s a lot of light industry in the city, not least Bulmers/Heineken.

Ludlow however is proper Herefordshire rural with a smattering of expat gastro Londoners. It was also, believe it or not, the epicentre of the computer games magazine industry in the 1980s.

If you want rural poor, Craven Arms is just one stop up the railway line. Good locally owned supermarket, though.
    I went back to Hereford recently and it was proper posh compared to what I knew as a lad. I grew up there - I had Scottish friends and friends with SAS dads for the reasons you state

Every night there was a good chance of a major fight. They were guaranteed at weekends

Now it’s all sushi bars and gastro pubs and gleaming vinoteks

And for a good reason. It’s a handsome, safe, largely unspoiled cathedral city surrounded by magnificent countryside. A fine place to live. Not that I appreciated this age 17 and bored witless
    A town of two halves. I thought the Widemarsh St. end of HighTown looked good, walking down to the newish food court shopping centre (where the Cattle Market used to be) is great. The other end, Maylords Orchard and the street that used to house Chadds, whose name escapes me, looks tired. Commercial Street down to the Hospital is the same as it ever was.

Ross, by the way is much improved. Much better kept than Ledbury and Newent.

You won't like Leominster or Bromyard as they are Eastern European conclaves.
    That’s good. I’d heard sad things about Ross so yay

Leominster was lovely in my memory (possibly faulty); Bromyard was always basically Birmingham
    Leominster is fine. Lots of antique shops.

In Ross, there is a really nice little deli/cake shop/cafe if you turn right at the market house coming up from Oveross. I think it is called something like the Secret Garden. If you have a vehicle, the Moody Cow at Upton Bishop is a decent place to eat.
    Ha! I have eaten there! Really good lunch!
  • Options

I reckon I do a fucking good job on pb.com whilst the rest sit on their arses.

Never get a thank you.

5/10.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,837

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

For those who don’t know what a passbook is here is mine from 1985 which my mother found the other week in some of my late old man’s belongings as an illustration.

And this is what we are expecting banks to maintain?

I've heard it all now.
    What the hell is the frigging point of one of those in this day and age?

Seems even more pointless than chequebooks.

Never had one.
    Its an age and wealth thing.

None of my kids carry cash, I carry cash and cards. They slag me off for carrying cash, bur very so often they get caught short and I dont.

The better off are likely to use e payment, the less well off less so.

Cash will probably have its day but until we have covered access to all I see no reason to accelerate it,

Do parents these days give their teenage kids pocket money as a bank transfer?
    Any money my son earns through doing work around the house gets paid by bank transfer. He has even asked gifts to be paid by BACS (from relatives etc) as cash just burns a hole in his pocket. He's found saving much easier since we abolished cash entirely.
    That's interesting, I always assumed that the problem is the otherway round. You have much less of a feeling how much you are spending when paying with a card or an app, which i would have thought easily leads to overspending. I was in the UK last month and it was annoying how many barstaff would hold the card reader with the amount being charged facing them, so I had to stand on tiptoes, lean over and read the price upside down.

I guess the reality is some people have more of a problem overspending with cash in the pocket and others more of a problem overspending with cashless payment.
    I think my kids are a similar age to OLB's - and their issue with cash is keeping it in one place. Inevitably some of the abrogate the responsibility and hand their money over to me to keep in my wallet until they want to spend some of it, which inevitably gets muddled with my money, and I have to keep a running mental tally of how much of each daughter's money is mine. And that's without all the money scattered around their room in various piggy banks, money boxes etc which they have acquired over the years. It was a great relief when they started using cards.
    Another big problem with cash, right there. It really is a deeply flawed mode of tender.
    Cash isn't 'deeply flawed', just as a notepad and pen isn't deeply flawed despite the presence of word processing software. Cash, cards, phones (I guess) - all have their advantages and drawbacks.
    Despite the inconveniences above, I'm not going to be giving my 8 year old a bank card, because she will lose it.
    It is deeply flawed, that's why lots of people simply stopped using it many years ago and have never looked back.

Electronic payments: The buyer taps his phone, the money goes straight into the retailer's account.

Cash: The buyer takes his card to a machine, converting perfectly functional, electronic money into slips of paper and shards of metal that he now has to carry about his person. These odd scraps of material are then offered to a retailer who has to find more scraps of material to give back to the buyer as change. If the retailer lacks the correct composition of material, the transaction fails. Assuming he has the correct composition, the retailer now has to store these scraps of material in a secure place, at cost and risk to himself, before finding additional time in his working week to transport said scraps of material to a place, probably several miles away, so he can given them to a lady in a pin-striped skirt who doesn't want them either. Said lady has to them put them in a secure place, at cost and risk to her own business, so they can be transported at even more cost to her business to an even more secure place, at which point she is able to convert them back into electronic money for the retailer, who could have just been paid directly in electronic money in the first place.

Electronic payments: reliant on thr tech working.
    Cash: not reliant on the tech working.
    Fake news.

I was left high and dry in Southeast Europe recently because the only ATM in the resort I was staying in had conked out, and the restaurant I was eating in took only cash (like lots of the places there, it was a real step back in time). It was a right palaver, which required me to ask a taxi to park illegally at the next resort while I literally legged it in 30c heat to another cashpoint. Cash is an antiquated system that – ironically – relies far too heavily on machines.
    You want to ban cash based retail when the business and their customers are happy with those restrictions?
    Er, nope.

I have said on here several times, probably dozens of time, I wouldn’t ban cash nor cash based retail.

Do I need to say it yet again FFS?
    Ban was your word not mine. But you are happy to "restrict", as you said above.
    You introduced the word ban. I didn't.

I'll leave it there
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,982

I reckon there are a lot more public buildings with dangerously unsafe concrete than the government is letting on. Have you ever noticed how every time a member of the Cabinet goes anywhere they're wearing a hard hat? They obviously know something we don't.

This is why Boris got brexit done. No hard hat in sight.

• Options
    MattW said:

An enjoyable thread on the measures being taken to render numberplates unreadable to the enforcement cameras.

(Including the cases where the vehicles are exempt from the charge)

https://twitter.com/AdamBronkhorst/status/1698582416657437124

Who are these nutters? 😂

They level this charge a lot. They also want to force shops to take cash even if none of their customers use it.
    So it seems. Absolutely bizarre.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,858
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Ludlow has at least five pubs dating from pre-16th century ie medieval. I know this coz I just walked past them

The pub I’m in now dates from 1102

1102!!!!

When this pub was built the fields and hovels all around would still have been full of Anglo Saxons staring murderously at the obnoxious new Normans in the shiny new castle. I sense some of them are still staring

“Nothing to write home about”???

FFS

In Ludlow you had better visit St Lawrence Church - a Simon Jenkins *****.

This is one of their ~14C misericord carvings, of a cellar-manager in a monastery.

https://www.greatenglishchurches.co.uk/html/ludlow.html
    Oooh. I love a Jenkins *****

On the case
    Yep - big town churches can be as good as cathedrals, but without quite so much clerical establishment for 700 years.

Also Cirencester and Tewkesbury are 5* that way.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919

stodge said:

stodge said:

Paging HYUFD.

Starmer leads Sunak by 17%, tying his largest ever lead over Sunak.

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (3 September)

Keir Starmer 46% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak 29% (-5)

Changes +/- 27 August

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1698730191906889999

For a measurement that’s supposed to be hard for an opposition leader to do well on, 17% gap is looking quite commanding now. RW tend to poll higher % for Con too, compared to most other pollsters, even as Sunak is crashing personally in the fieldwork they still find yet another 28% for Con.

The momentum in which Sunak’s political stock is declining, as the electorate back away from him, has to be the main polling take from the last month.

The England sub sample breaks 44-30-16 (the highest LD number for a while). A 13 point Conservative lead in December 2019 is now a 14 point Labour lead so the swing is 13.5%. The Conservatives were 32 points ahead of the LDs in 2019, the gap now is 14 so that's a 9% swing.

We also have the conundrum of tactical voting and where that might take us.
    The subsample isn’t weighted is it? Therefore it’s meaningless, yet you seem to quote meaningless subsamples almost daily.
    It is weighted according to the data tables - don't bother about the apology.
    Well apologies in this case.

However, you frequently ‘analyse’ unweighted subsamples and disappear whenever challenged on the practice.
    I don't think I do - we can argue as to whether the correct weighting is being applied by pollsters. I don't quote regional samples any longer because they are absurd but England is a pretty big region and after all that's where the election will be won and lost.

I was told YouGov got the sub sample weighting right yet they are the pollsters with the lowest Conservative share - what to make of that?
  • Options

Never get a thank you.

Welcome to my world...
    ...was the first track on Depeche Mode's 2013 album Delta Machine.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

For those who don’t know what a passbook is here is mine from 1985 which my mother found the other week in some of my late old man’s belongings as an illustration.

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

None of my kids carry cash, I carry cash and cards. They slag me off for carrying cash, bur very so often they get caught short and I dont.

Cash will probably have its day but until we have covered access to all I see no reason to accelerate it,

Any money my son earns through doing work around the house gets paid by bank transfer. He has even asked gifts to be paid by BACS (from relatives etc) as cash just burns a hole in his pocket. He's found saving much easier since we abolished cash entirely.
    That's interesting, I always assumed that the problem is the otherway round. You have much less of a feeling how much you are spending when paying with a card or an app, which i would have thought easily leads to overspending. I was in the UK last month and it was annoying how many barstaff would hold the card reader with the amount being charged facing them, so I had to stand on tiptoes, lean over and read the price upside down.

I guess the reality is some people have more of a problem overspending with cash in the pocket and others more of a problem overspending with cashless payment.
    I think my kids are a similar age to OLB's - and their issue with cash is keeping it in one place. Inevitably some of the abrogate the responsibility and hand their money over to me to keep in my wallet until they want to spend some of it, which inevitably gets muddled with my money, and I have to keep a running mental tally of how much of each daughter's money is mine. And that's without all the money scattered around their room in various piggy banks, money boxes etc which they have acquired over the years. It was a great relief when they started using cards.
    Another big problem with cash, right there. It really is a deeply flawed mode of tender.
    Cash isn't 'deeply flawed', just as a notepad and pen isn't deeply flawed despite the presence of word processing software. Cash, cards, phones (I guess) - all have their advantages and drawbacks.
    Despite the inconveniences above, I'm not going to be giving my 8 year old a bank card, because she will lose it.
    It is deeply flawed, that's why lots of people simply stopped using it many years ago and have never looked back.

Electronic payments: The buyer taps his phone, the money goes straight into the retailer's account.

Cash: The buyer takes his card to a machine, converting perfectly functional, electronic money into slips of paper and shards of metal that he now has to carry about his person. These odd scraps of material are then offered to a retailer who has to find more scraps of material to give back to the buyer as change. If the retailer lacks the correct composition of material, the transaction fails. Assuming he has the correct composition, the retailer now has to store these scraps of material in a secure place, at cost and risk to himself, before finding additional time in his working week to transport said scraps of material to a place, probably several miles away, so he can given them to a lady in a pin-striped skirt who doesn't want them either. Said lady has to them put them in a secure place, at cost and risk to her own business, so they can be transported at even more cost to her business to an even more secure place, at which point she is able to convert them back into electronic money for the retailer, who could have just been paid directly in electronic money in the first place.

Fake news.

I was left high and dry in Southeast Europe recently because the only ATM in the resort I was staying in had conked out, and the restaurant I was eating in took only cash (like lots of the places there, it was a real step back in time). It was a right palaver, which required me to ask a taxi to park illegally at the next resort while I literally legged it in 30c heat to another cashpoint. Cash is an antiquated system that – ironically – relies far too heavily on machines.
    You want to ban cash based retail when the business and their customers are happy with those restrictions?
    Er, nope.

I have said on here several times, probably dozens of time, I wouldn’t ban cash nor cash based retail.

I'll leave it there
    You said I wanted to ban cash. You wrote that. It’s a simple lie.
  • Options
    The Tories are doing a fucking good job of handing the next GE on a plate to Labour!
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

'Course, you did, Bob. 'Course you did!
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    Hey guys, get a room
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    Hey guys, get a room
    Do they accept cash?
  • Options
    "I'm not antisemitic but the Jews are out to get me"

https://twitter.com/Dorianlynskey/status/1698758656576180372/photo/1
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

I reckon there are a lot more public buildings with dangerously unsafe concrete than the government is letting on. Have you ever noticed how every time a member of the Cabinet goes anywhere they're wearing a hard hat? They obviously know something we don't.

Didn't we have a similar scandal to do with multi storey carparks ten or fifteen years ago?
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    Hey guys, get a room
    Do they accept cash?
    Genuine lol
  • Options
    Manchester United and Brazil winger Antony is being investigated by Greater Manchester Police over claims he attacked his former girlfriend.

Gabriela Cavallin claims she was headbutted and punched by Antony in a Manchester hotel room the day after United’s 2-1 victory over Manchester City on January 14 that resulted in a cut to her head and a breast implant being damaged.

Cavallin said she received treatment from an English doctor in her room at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Manchester following the alleged attack. The news is the latest controversy to surround United and comes just a fortnight after the club announced Mason Greenwood was to leave the club despite charges of attempted rape, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and controlling and coercive behaviour against Greenwood being dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service

In an interview with the Brazilian website UOL, which was published on Monday and included photographs and screenshots of messages, Cavallin also alleged that she suffered a cut finger while trying to protect herself after accusing Antony of throwing a glass cup at her.

That incident is alleged to have occurred at a house on May 8, the day after United lost 1-0 to West Ham in London.

Cavallin, 23, who is an influencer and DJ, claims she was subjected to a series of attacks by Antony between June last year and May this year.

She alleges she was first attacked by Antony on June 1 2022 while she was pregnant on holiday and claimed the 23-year-old United player threatened to throw her out of a moving car at speed.

Sao Paulo Civil Police are currently investigating Cavallin’s claims after she filed a report to them in June accusing Antony of “domestic violence, threat and bodily injury”. Cavallin also filed a separate complaint to Greater Manchester Police (GMP).

In a statement to Telegraph Sport on Monday, GMP said: “Greater Manchester Police is aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report. We will not be commenting any further at this time

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/04/man-utd-antony-police-investigation-ex-girlfriend/
  • Options
    I work with a lot of Gen Z. I can't say I notice much different in attitudes to any other young generation in history. They all work hard and want to get on, and are professional. Some don't know what they want. Most want guidance and direction. All generally have a good sense of humour, and don't even mind it a bit risqué.

Main difference is they wear (to my mind) very casual clothes and don't see any reason they should vote Tory, but they still listen respectfully to any point of view, including my own, and are perfectly willing to debate reasonably.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,680
    MattW said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Ludlow has at least five pubs dating from pre-16th century ie medieval. I know this coz I just walked past them

1102!!!!

When this pub was built the fields and hovels all around would still have been full of Anglo Saxons staring murderously at the obnoxious new Normans in the shiny new castle. I sense some of them are still staring

FFS

This is one of their ~14C misericord carvings, of a cellar-manager in a monastery.

On the case
    Yep - big town churches can be as good as cathedrals, but without quite so much clerical establishment for 700 years.

Another view is that on the whole town churches, while splendid, lack resonance and atmosphere; and that among the best of all are great buildings in smaller or even very small places. Algarkirk naturally is one such, but also Salle, Whaplode, Walpole St Peter, Sutterton, Torpenhow, Crosby Ravensworth, Ravenstonedale, Long Melford and a few thousand others.

Betjeman's volumes (1950s) listed a total of 4,000 churches. Many of the best are not in Jenkins' 'Thousand best'.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Lordy, the wreckage of our culture:

"Barbie overtakes Super Mario Bros to be 2023's biggest box office hit"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66705597
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,071

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    You had a meal in a restaurant without checking if it conforms to your extremist beliefs, or that you had enough cash for a sensible period of time? That's *brave*. Seriously ****ing insane. You could have been washing plates till 5 am.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,093

Those guys at the ADL must be really powerful if they can do so much damage to Twitter's revenues by telling untruths.

Probably part of an international conspiracy, Elon ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ludlow it is! A foaming pint of virtual perry for @Carnyx and a faux thimble of Ludlow gin for @boulay

Here’s my room in case anyone is scared that I’m suffering unduly on my Official Gazette Welsh Marches Road Trip

My pictures of Ludlow taken in September 2015 :lol:

Is that an original brick building or modern pastiche?
    Probably the latter.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

I'm beginning to think an ability to mentally disconnect from one's own statements is the the key to business success.
  • Options
    I said at the beginning if the Russian invasion of Ukraine that encouraging much more onshore wind development would have been a sensible policy response.

This seems both tardy and inadequate, being little more than a consultation about proposals which will barely alter the current de facto ban.

Ministers to announce moves aiming to allow building of onshore wind turbines
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/04/ministers-to-announce-moves-aiming-to-allow-building-of-onshore-wind-turbines

Another point of policy difference between Labour and the Conservatives.
    ...Labour is promising that if elected next year, it will bring onshore wind entirely into line with every other form of infrastructure development...
  • Options

To be fair it probably makes for a more popular policy than the government reannouncing the defence of using lbs and pennyweights or whatever every few months.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927

Finally finished my mad week's work; I've done seventy seven hours since the Bank Holiday

I'm going to do precisely fuck all tomorrow

I don't even have to walk the dog as my folks are away (in Sandbanks, with the dog) .. (I don't ever have to walk the dog, I just always do in the morning on days off. My Dad pays me in fine wine)

I'm having a bottle of this this evening

ps $13,300 per bottle is in Argentinian Pesos, not US dollars. About thirty quid

Your folks are in Sandbanks? They must be loaded!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I said at the beginning if the Russian invasion of Ukraine that encouraging much more onshore wind development would have been a sensible policy response.

This seems both tardy and inadequate, being little more than a consultation about proposals which will barely alter the current de facto ban.

Ministers to announce moves aiming to allow building of onshore wind turbines
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/04/ministers-to-announce-moves-aiming-to-allow-building-of-onshore-wind-turbines

Another point of policy difference between Labour and the Conservatives.
    ...Labour is promising that if elected next year, it will bring onshore wind entirely into line with every other form of infrastructure development...

Tories upsetting shire supporters by allowing onshore wind development? Not something they'd propose unless a) so far ahead it doesn't matter, or b) they're going to lose anyway so might as well do the right thing.

Announcing consultations seems to be done a lot in lieu of acting though.
  • Options
    Labour has got to make planning reform a pillar of their next time in government.

That means making building houses easier, making building railways etc easier, mobile phone masts, wind turbines, all of that stuff. It is far too difficult at present.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Discussing his firing, Tucker said he always got along with the Murdochs, but now it is “a company run by fearful women.
    https://nitter.net/RonFilipkowski/status/1698769189652062331#m

Might be because they had to fork up nearly $800m due to election lies? (Which they will almost certainly repeat next time, but less focused on a particular company)

Granted that was hardly Tucker's fault, he was part of it but it was a company directive.
  • Options

Labour has got to make planning reform a pillar of their next time in government.

That means making building houses easier, making building railways etc easier, mobile phone masts, wind turbines, all of that stuff. It is far too difficult at present.

And they'd need to do it quickly too. I hope they don't get bogged down in something grand institutionally but of less importance, like Lords reform - that can be done incrementally.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    You had a meal in a restaurant without checking if it conforms to your extremist beliefs, or that you had enough cash for a sensible period of time? That's *brave*. Seriously ****ing insane. You could have been washing plates till 5 am.
    That's another modern advance you've missed: there are dishwashers these days.

Any cash only restaurant would need to make it very clear before customers order or else they are the ones being *brave*.
  • Options

I'm not holding my breath, but if Labour did that they'd deserve (and get) my vote.

Some things are more important than party politics. The way our broken planning system is holding back the country is one of them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,964

Great cartoon here by Matt:

• Options
    kle4 said:

Discussing his firing, Tucker said he always got along with the Murdochs, but now it is “a company run by fearful women.
    https://nitter.net/RonFilipkowski/status/1698769189652062331#m

Might be because they had to fork up nearly $800m due to election lies? (Which they will almost certainly repeat next time, but less focused on a particular company)

Granted that was hardly Tucker's fault, he was part of it but it was a company directive.

So casual misogynist along with being a liar and fascism apologist ?

Top bloke.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    algarkirk said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

1102!!!!

FFS

On the case

Another view is that on the whole town churches, while splendid, lack resonance and atmosphere; and that among the best of all are great buildings in smaller or even very small places. Algarkirk naturally is one such, but also Salle, Whaplode, Walpole St Peter, Sutterton, Torpenhow, Crosby Ravensworth, Ravenstonedale, Long Melford and a few thousand others.

Betjeman's volumes (1950s) listed a total of 4,000 churches. Many of the best are not in Jenkins' 'Thousand best'.
    I'd call it generally a different "feel", rather than 'lack resonance'. I like light and space.

My list of favourites would include Tudeley in Kent, where all the stained glass windows are works of art by Marc Chagall (he also has a small window in Chichester Cathedral), and it feels like being underwater. I also have a thing for Wren churches, and whitewashed rural churches, even if they do not have much "contents", untouched churches (my church visiting journey started with a day on Romney Marsh in the 1980s), and modern stained glass.

I'm not a huge fan of being overwhelmed with gorgeousness, such at St Giles RC, Cheadle - Pugin giving his all.

In general I'm not a particular Jenkins fan. When he gets into general questions he can be impossibly pompous. But his book is an excellent source for something interesting where ever one happens to be, to which one can add serendipity. His idea of parish churches as a kind of freely accessible and still living museum of cultural history is spot on.

/nitpick - Long Melford is a Jenkins 5*.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Those guys at the ADL must be really powerful if they can do so much damage to Twitter's revenues by telling untruths.

I wonder where he could find a copy of their protocols 🤔
  • Options

Finally finished my mad week's work; I've done seventy seven hours since the Bank Holiday

I don't even have to walk the dog as my folks are away (in Sandbanks, with the dog) .. (I don't ever have to walk the dog, I just always do in the morning on days off. My Dad pays me in fine wine)

ps $13,300 per bottle is in Argentinian Pesos, not US dollars. About thirty quid

Your folks are in Sandbanks? They must be loaded!
    Dad’s not done bad for a boy from Glossop Comp

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

Never get a thank you.

Oi!

I'll see you outside.....
  • Options
    This is something of an area of expertise for me but I am sure others can pitch in with examples on housing etc.

But we make phone masts a maximum height, even though this height is way below our European neighbours. If we allowed taller masts we'd get better coverage for very little cost. For every 10m higher a mast can go, the coverage radius increases substantially.

I'd also change the rules so masts can be built closer to roads and without needing permission at all, in rural areas if they want to build they should be able to. Alongside railways the same etc.

The system is far too restrictive and is holding us back.
  • Options
    Tony Blair is back in fashion and that is clear with SKS's new cabinet. This is New Labour 2.0.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

They’ve been using ‘protocols’ to send tweets across their network.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Nah, it's a great film, with genuine laughs and an entertainingly perky cast and plot.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    Paying electronically is an extremist belief? Not in this day and age.

If a firm only wants to take payment by cash, or only electronically, then they should say that up front nowadays. If they do and its not the one you want, then don't dine their. If they don't, then its a bit late afterwards and they might need to be flexible to get their payment, eg accept a BACS transfer if no card machine.

I had similar a few months ago when I had my MOT done. New garage I'd never been to before, needed a new clutch and other work so I'd found it online and it was by far the cheapest for all the work needed. Booked it, had the work done, then surprise, surprise the card machine was "broken". Great, well I don't carry cash let alone £570 of cash with me and no I'm absolutely not going to the bank to withdraw it. So I offered a BACS transfer, I said there was not a chance I was going to pay cash because of their "broken" machine, the guy working there was clearly disgruntled about having electronic records of the payment.

Guess now I know how they quoted so cheap, but seriously WTF?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    That's another modern advance you've missed: there are dishwashers these days.

Any cash only restaurant would need to make it very clear before customers order or else they are the ones being *brave*.
    For saucepans and frying pans and baking trays? And when the place is busy? Just read Bourdain.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Nah, it's a great film, with genuine laughs and an entertainingly perky cast and plot.
    Agreed. Kids loved it, but it was good for the whole family.

Same with Super Mario Bros too - that was a good movie, much better than the 90s adaption which is a by-word for bad computer game to movie adaptions.

Don't see any qualms with family films being the year's biggest box office hits. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

If a firm only wants to take payment by cash, or only electronically, then they should say that up front nowadays. If they do and its not the one you want, then don't dine their. If they don't, then its a bit late afterwards and they might need to be flexible to get their payment, eg accept a BACS transfer if no card machine.

I had similar a few months ago when I had my MOT done. New garage I'd never been to before, needed a new clutch and other work so I'd found it online and it was by far the cheapest for all the work needed. Booked it, had the work done, then surprise, surprise the card machine was "broken". Great, well I don't carry cash let alone £570 of cash with me and no I'm absolutely not going to the bank to withdraw it. So I offered a BACS transfer, I said there was not a chance I was going to pay cash because of their "broken" machine, the guy working there was clearly disgruntled about having electronic records of the payment.

You're the one being unreasonable. Cash is legal tender. Some mobile phone isn't.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093

This is something of an area of expertise for me but I am sure others can pitch in with examples on housing etc.

But we make phone masts a maximum height, even though this height is way below our European neighbours. If we allowed taller masts we'd get better coverage for very little cost. For every 10m higher a mast can go, the coverage radius increases substantially.

I'd also change the rules so masts can be built closer to roads and without needing permission at all, in rural areas if they want to build they should be able to. Alongside railways the same etc.

Um, that would have been the case with 4g not so much the case with 5g..
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

You're the one being unreasonable. Cash is legal tender. Some mobile phone isn't.
    Paying with mobile phones is like a regression to barter, and it’s not much use for small value items. I’m not handing over my phone for a coffee.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

I was pleasantly surprised by Barbie. I went accompanying my wife on sufference and laughed most of the time. Not sure what the few children in the cinema got out of it though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

I think I have some sympathy for Gillian Keegan. It isn't altogether her fault.

The DfE, none at all. If they hadn't made a botched reform to academy chains, grossly underfunded them and forced them to pursue expensive short term goals at the expense of longer term sustainability than we might not be in this mess to start with.

You can't tell somebody they're doing a good job and/or getting a grip on something when they're clearly not doing so.

Eh? What have academy chains got to do with it? The problem is Sunak slashing the capital maintenance budget.
    That's part of it, though even the unslashed budget was a long way from the necessary.

But academisation didn't help. LEAs had sufficient scale to have in-house access to people who knew about buildings. Standalone academies, and most chains, simply don't.

The evolution of the academy model over the last decade has been to recreate undersized, geographically incoherent LEAs, generally with a more expensive executive layer.

(And heads who liked, and thrived, running their own show have been forced into expanding into turning around difficult schools, even when that's not their skill set.)
    Most academies aren't standalones though. Most will run many schools and have as much access to buildings maintenance as alocal authority.
    Stats are here:

https://ffteducationdatalab.org.uk/2023/04/are-mats-getting-bigger/

Most academies are in multi academy trusts, but there are still more standalone academies (1251) than multi academy trusts (1188).

And a lot of those MATs aren't very multi; 921 of those have fewer than ten schools, and the average MAT size across the sector is 7.5. There's all sorts of stuff involved in running schools that doesn't scale that small. So schools either buy a service in or improvise locally, even when that's not a good idea.
    Several MATs which contain only one school, as well.

In one rather notorious local example, so the then Principal could make himself the Chief Executive which created a vacancy as Principal.

Weirdly, that job went to his wife...
  • Options
    eek said:

Um, that would have been the case with 4g not so much the case with 5g..
    It is the same issue with 5G, we need more sites and we need more coverage.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

You're wrong, as legal tender is a next-to-meaningless phrase in this country, so that's moot. Shops, businesses and individuals are under no legal or moral obligation to pay with obsolete "legal tender".

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines/#:~:text=Notes:,in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes.

Any business can demand payment in any way they see fit, only for settlement of debts in courts in exact legal tender is it relevant.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

It's...fine. Probably as good as you could have done with a Barbie movie, it had a few decent laughs in it, but it only had two basic jokes/points, repeated over and over.

I congratulate the filmmakers on their success, and for getting people out to the cinema, but I confess to being a bit baffled how it became such an event movie (Oppenheimer to a lesser degree the same, being a decent but overlong biopic, so again pretty standard).

Then again Super Mario Bros and Avatar 2, two other massively successful films, are also very forgettable movies (the latter far worse written though). And much of the rest of the top 20 are a lot worse (I've seen 15 of them).

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

Paying with mobile phones is like a regression to barter, and it’s not much use for small value items. I’m not handing over my phone for a coffee.
    Depends on the coffee.

It would need the strength of Samsung to make the trade worthwhile.
  • Options
    Legal tender is irrelevant, a shop can accept magic beans if it wants
  • Options

Only if they have been stalked.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,774

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

Handing over your mobile? !!?
  • Options
    Leon said:

1102!!!!

FFS

No mate, when that pub was built (as a house not a pub) Charles II was on the throne. So it's quite old but not C12th.

You've fallen for the guff they put on the food menu. There was an ale house on the site in 1102 but not this one.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1220623?section=official-list-entry
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited September 2023

How many shops in this country will accept a "legal tender" £100 coin?

Almost none I imagine.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

Handing over your mobile? !!?
    Not sure william has quite understood how this works.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

Depends on the coffee.

Mods, can we have a 'groan' button please?
  • Options

Leon said:

1102!!!!

FFS

No mate, when that pub was built (as a house not a pub) Charles II was on the throne. So it's quite old but not C12th.

You've fallen for the guff they put on the food menu. There was an ale house on the site in 1102 but not this one.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1220623?section=official-list-entry
    Still amazing, but total context is important.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I'm just reflecting on the number of people on this site who are only too happy to see the old and the poor and the disadvantaged and the disabled dumped by the side of the road of what they see as progress - cash, bank branches, [edit] railway ticket offices, internet access, all of that sort of thing.

One day, they will be old (one hopes, i.e, not dead) and perhaps poor, incapacitated, and unable to cope with the changes of that time. Then they will realise why people such as I think their attitude is fucking callous and selfish.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That could be a giant problem
  • Options

Almost none I imagine.
    Just give it a few more years of Tory government. You'll be lucky to get a Starbucks frappe whatever it is for two of those.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,155
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

It's...fine. Probably as good as you could have done with a Barbie movie, it had a few decent laughs in it, but it only had two basic jokes/points, repeated over and over.

I congratulate the filmmakers on their success, and for getting people out to the cinema, but I confess to being a bit baffled how it became such an event movie (Oppenheimer to a lesser degree the same, being a decent but overlong biopic, so again pretty standard).

Then again Super Mario Bros and Avatar 2, two other massively successful films, are also very forgettable movies (the latter far worse written though). And much of the rest of the top 20 are a lot worse (I've seen 15 of them).

The sad thing in that is Mission Impossible. The franchise depends on having long legs and historically has done so, but Barbieheimer sliced its legs off. If Cruise had opened earlier or later he'd've had a chance, but...well, luck has its place.
  • Options

Almost none I imagine.
    Or even Maundy money
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited September 2023
    Carnyx said:

I'm just reflecting on the number of people on this site who are only too happy to see the old and the poor and the disadvantaged and the disabled dumped by the side of the road of what they see as progress - cash, bank branches, internet access, all of that sort of thing.

One day, they will be old (one hopes, i.e, not dead) and perhaps poor, incapacitated, and unable to cope with the changes of that time. Then they will realise why people such as I think their attitude is fucking callous and selfish.

I think its very disrespectful to the old to suggest they're somehow incapable of paying via contactless.

Indeed not having to make unnecessary trips to the cash machine, or fiddle with coins while you're in your 90s and arthritic and being able to just tap a payment makes things easier for my grandparents, not tougher.

I for one welcome that progress that makes things easier for them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there

Depends on the coffee.

Mods, can we have a 'groan' button please?
    Bloody Philistine.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

The sad thing in that is Mission Impossible. The franchise depends on having long legs and historically has done so, but Barbieheimer sliced its legs off. If Cruise had opened earlier or later he'd've had a chance, but...well, luck has its place.
    Eh, there was only going to be one more in the franchise, and they've already filmed most of it, so no harm done.

I wanted to see Sound of Freedom, which has done gangbusters in the US, but it was only airing once a day at 9.00pm, and I'm not in the mood then. I don't even remember Insidious coming out.

Of the top 20 Dungeons & Dragons was the biggest positive surprise (but has flopped so no sequel there).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Or it could be Jack shit.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,774

Carnyx said:

I'm just reflecting on the number of people on this site who are only too happy to see the old and the poor and the disadvantaged and the disabled dumped by the side of the road of what they see as progress - cash, bank branches, internet access, all of that sort of thing.

I think its very disrespectful to the old to suggest they're somehow incapable of paying via contactless.

Indeed not having to fiddle with coins while you're in your 90s and arthritic and being able to just tap a payment makes things easier for my grandparents, not tougher.

My mother-in-law thinks that paying by mobile awesome.

There’s plenty of evidence that a big chunk of the elderly are enthusiastic adopters of technology.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Indeed not having to make unnecessary trips to the cash machine, or fiddle with coins while you're in your 90s and arthritic and being able to just tap a payment makes things easier for my grandparents, not tougher.

Some are: many are not. It's your general attitude that is the problem - that everyone has tdo conform to your narrow perceptions of the world. Instead of keeping the options open.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Another gift of Russian culture.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They need to pay a handling Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

That list is so depressing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Some are: many are not. It's your general attitude that is the problem - that everyone has tdo conform to your narrow perceptions of the world. Instead of keeping the options open.
    Nobody "has to" do anything.

People are free to make choices, both customers and businesses.

Businesses will typically (but not always) try to make choices that win it the most customers.

If people decide cash is more trouble than its worth, that's their free choice. If businesses decide the same, theirs too.

I'm all for free choice. I don't think I or you should make anyone else's decisions for them.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Indeed not having to fiddle with coins while you're in your 90s and arthritic and being able to just tap a payment makes things easier for my grandparents, not tougher.

My mother-in-law thinks that paying by mobile awesome.

There’s plenty of evidence that a big chunk of the elderly are enthusiastic adopters of technology.
    Some are, but many are not. It was a *huge* problem with my elderly father, getting some things done in the modern era.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Don't have a cow!
  • Options

This wine is seriously good

It's lightly oaked, and extremely fruity; almost like a near neat plum and red berry cordial. The fruitiness completely covers the tannins, and the 14% alcohol. It has a slightly treacly aftertaste

If you're someone who would pay thirty quid for a bottle of wine, get this

They only made about ten thousand bottles of it
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    It is worth watching what happens to the government over their solution to the 'nitrates' issue that has been 'blocking housebuilding'. Their idea is to selectively disapply the EU Habitats directive which it can do as a 'Brexit dividend', IE scrap european environmental law. But of course it always promised that it would never do that, and it is also doing it at a time where there is massive controversy over the conduct of utilities companies and pollution. I can't see this working out well for them.
  • Options
    Dad hasn't worked out Apple Pay yet but has been all in on Contactless for years
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

I was disappointed Cocaine Bear did not make it into the top 20 too.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

The sad thing in that is Mission Impossible. The franchise depends on having long legs ..
    Amazing that they've managed with Cruise, then.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

I was disappointed Cocaine Bear did not make it into the top 20 too.
    Not even the remake of Winnie the Pooh.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Don't have a cow!
    I just reel them off pat.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Why?

I've seen three on that list at the cinema, which is more than I've seen at the cinema in a year since my kids were born. Relatedly there's a theme to the three I've seen: Barbie, Super Mario Bros and Little Mermaid.

All 3 were pretty good. None were what I'd have chosen myself, OK maybe Super Mario Bros, but the girls enjoyed them all.

I don't see anything depressing in having multiple options for families to watch - and they're not all family movies either.

Besides, family movies tend to come out over the summer and be bigger summer blockbusters. Horror movies are often more October anyway. There's still a few months left.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Eh, there was only going to be one more in the franchise, and they've already filmed most of it, so no harm done.

I wanted to see Sound of Freedom, which has done gangbusters in the US, but it was only airing once a day at 9.00pm, and I'm not in the mood then. I don't even remember Insidious coming out.

Of the top 20 Dungeons & Dragons was the biggest positive surprise (but has flopped so no sequel there).
    "Last in the franchise" is always dependent on money. I know Cruise planned 7 and 8 as the last because he's now 60 and can't be Superman no more, but if MI7 had grossed 2billion there would be a 9 if they had to nail him to a wheelchair.

And yes, I too was disappointed by D&D flopping. It deserved more, but "deserve" don't count... ☹️☹️☹️
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Astonishingly so, if you look back fifty years.
    https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1973/top-grossing-movies
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,131

Leon said:

We were in Ludlow for a weekend a month ago. It's alright - nothing to write home about though.
    You're not easily impressed are you.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

boulay said:

I've heard it all now.

Never had one.

Fake news.

Er, nope.

I'll leave it there
    What on Earth are you talking about? This was before I even got to the restaurant, the morning of. I’d checked and they said it was cash only, as are lots of places there. Yet the only ATM in the town I was
    staying in was kaput, so I had to take a cab to the next town, purely to go to a bank machine!

Yes, insane - cash really is!

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,927

This wine is seriously good

It's lightly oaked, and extremely fruity; almost like a near neat plum and red berry cordial. The fruitiness completely covers the tannins, and the 14% alcohol. It has a slightly treacly aftertaste

If you're someone who would pay thirty quid for a bottle of wine, get this

They only made about ten thousand bottles of it
    What is it? Your description leaves me not knowing if I’d like or loath it. I love bright, berry-fruity reds (the description sounds like a Cabernet or Merlot) but I hate jammy tasting over-alcoholic tongue burners. Which of those is it?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Franchises and incel-focused superhero movies have basically killed the film industry.

Oh well.

Killers of the Flower Moon will be out soon,
  • Options

Dad hasn't worked out Apple Pay yet but has been all in on Contactless for years

There really is some utter shite peddled on here about cashless living. Two completely false accounts of my experiences in the space on a hour.

There is so little reason to use cash, the PB Cash Fetishists now resort to just making stuff up!!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Astonishingly so, if you look back fifty years.
    https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1973/top-grossing-movies
    Nah, it's just periodicity. Cinema isn't dying, it's going thru a tough patch. There are always good years and bad years. 1991 and 1982 were good

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1982/top-grossing-movies
    https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1991/top-grossing-movies
This discussion has been closed.