Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Fright at the Museum – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,176

Pulpstar said:

One of the big plus points of the British museum I always felt was that artefacts would be safer there than many other countries. Well that one's out the window now. Immensely damaging.

I also didn't realise it was one of Osborne's many jobs. Now he's probably not to blame but perhaps appointing a chairman without 500other jobs might have been an idea. What curation and relevant experience does Osborne have in this area anyway ?

Does he have a burning ambition to catalogue and display artifacts or does he just fancy claiming a few quid for turning up to tea and cake once a month with the 'right sort of people'?
    ...plus VIP tours of every exhibition of course.
    I don't think there is any pay for the Trustees - just the usual and reasonable expenses? Page 27 here.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/sites/default/files/2023-07/british_museum_annual_reports_accounts_2022_2023.pdf
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,263
    Goodness me. We are being spoiled.

As reported in the FT, Paul Flowers, ex- Co-op Chair, Methodist Minister (and much else besides) to be charged with fraud by abuse of position. This was the very same charge that Kweku Adoboli of UBS was convicted of in 2012.

Seems to be related to the fall out from the acquisition of the Britannia Building Society.

Flowers' interviews after his drug issues and other extra-curricular activities came to light in 2017 and his banning from being a director of a finance company by the FCA in March 2018 were a masterpiece of pitying self-justification.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,071

Maybe the unlamented Prigozhin was the Saturday visitor.

Meanwhile in the Museums sector - as elsewhere - public school and Oxbridge strikes again! (Don't bother pointing out there are also foreigners working there - they are from equivalent backgrounds. Until our 'elite' education is massively reformed and improved this will just continue to happen

The best way of improving the country would be to sack everyone who attended public schools and Oxbridge and replace them with people educated in the real world (which doesn’t include grammar schools).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

One of the best performances of You're So Vain, one of the all-time great songs.

https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g?si=eax0QetYFTWoaQLY

Great song but a very mannered performance.

Where the hell are they - Ramsgate?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

Pulpstar said:

One of the big plus points of the British museum I always felt was that artefacts would be safer there than many other countries. Well that one's out the window now. Immensely damaging.

I also didn't realise it was one of Osborne's many jobs. Now he's probably not to blame but perhaps appointing a chairman without 500other jobs might have been an idea. What curation and relevant experience does Osborne have in this area anyway ?

George Osborne read History at Oxford, he's been around museums a lot and long time.
    I don't think a 2:1 in modern history is quite enough to be chairman of the British museum..
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,951
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Bronze for the relay women!!!

Feels like one of the better athletics world champs for us. Particularly in the middle distances. Hopefully Keely can overcome Mu tomorrow
    Have either France or Germany won any medals at all?

What's happened to German sports and how are the French shaping up in preparation for their home olympics?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,071

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Dorries has just tweeted that she has today submitted her resignation letter.

Dorries has just tweeted that she has today submitted her resignation letter.

I predicted the improved MPs' redundancy payment might shift her.
    Surely that only applies to those made redundant at an election, rather than those taking the Chiltern Hundreds?

Edit: well done Apple for correctly guessing “Hundreds”, after only “Hu” had been typed.
    I get Huddersfield.
    Who’s ever typed “Chiltern Huddersfield?”
    Sounds like the name of a very aspirational used car salesman.
    More like the base model of a caravan - designed to make the Chiltern Harrogate and the Chiltern Henley look upmarket.
    No, that’s the second bottom model. The base model is the Chiltern Hull.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,627
    edited August 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

George Osborne read History at Oxford, he's been around museums a lot and long time.
    I don't think a 2:1 in modern history is quite enough to be chairman of the British museum..
    Worked for Tristram Hunt (well, the Victoria and Albert).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Feels like one of the better athletics world champs for us. Particularly in the middle distances. Hopefully Keely can overcome Mu tomorrow
    Have either France or Germany won any medals at all?

What's happened to German sports and how are the French shaping up in preparation for their home olympics?
    I know the French are in a mess.

Not sure what has happened to the Germans.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,263
    edited August 2023

Cyclefree said:

One of the best performances of You're So Vain, one of the all-time great songs.

East Coast of America - somewhere near The Hamptons I think. She suffered from stage fright and this was one of her first concerts for some time I believe.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,176
    edited August 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A dfegree in history at Oxford seems to be de rigeur to be convener of the BM Trustees. Applied to the previous one too, Mr Lambert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lambert

Edit: though the gent before him did Commerce at UCD. Which makes a change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_FitzGerald
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,133
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I had high hopes for this event, there were a lot of words written about how so many of the oldest world records were no longer safe, but it’s not delivered on that. Good for Team GB though, with KJT and Josh Kerr on the top step.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

That's not a very polite way to refer to Oxford's colleges.
    i was being polite by not calling it the dump.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Nigelb said:

As Bryant suggests, Dorries might have a future career writing Labour election messaging.

...Dorries, who was elected as an MP in May 2005, added: “What exactly has been done or have you [Sunak] achieved? You hold the office of prime minister unelected, without a single vote, not even from your own MPs.

“You have no mandate from the people, and the government is adrift. You have squandered the goodwill of the nation, for what?”..

Of course Dories had the option of challenging Sunak for the leadership.
    The 'without a vote, even from MPs' argument is such a really weird one as well. I get that some Tory MPs are radicals who believe the Members are required to vote on Leader, even though it is a recent innovation, or even that MPs are not allowed to remove a party leader at all because that person is effecitvely a President despite this being utter nonsense, but the reason no MPs 'voted' for Sunak is because no one else gained enough support to make a challenge, or did but decided not to do so.

Of all the things to moan about Sunak's rise the fact he got no votes because MPs didn't coalesce around any other candidate (who was willing to stand) to force a vote is an odd one.

The unelected PM thing I'll ignore, since Labour and Tory MPs change their tune on whether that is ok depending whether they are in office or not.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

That's not a very polite way to refer to Oxford's colleges.
    Are you sure that isn't referring to the dons?
    They're not museums, in my experience (which is actually quite extensive) they're more sort of fossils.
    You are right, that didn't quite work. They belong in a museum (at least some of them, anyway).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Does he have a burning ambition to catalogue and display artifacts or does he just fancy claiming a few quid for turning up to tea and cake once a month with the 'right sort of people'?
    ...plus VIP tours of every exhibition of course.
    I don't think there is any pay for the Trustees - just the usual and reasonable expenses? Page 27 here.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/sites/default/files/2023-07/british_museum_annual_reports_accounts_2022_2023.pdf
    I guess it's Osborne's way of giving back to society.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

As Bryant suggests, Dorries might have a future career writing Labour election messaging.

...Dorries, who was elected as an MP in May 2005, added: “What exactly has been done or have you [Sunak] achieved? You hold the office of prime minister unelected, without a single vote, not even from your own MPs.

“You have no mandate from the people, and the government is adrift. You have squandered the goodwill of the nation, for what?”..

If Nads had actually got her peerage, would she have had "a mandate from the people"? Would she not be "unelected, without a single vote, not even from [her] own MPs"?
    Yet more evidence to the idea 'mandate' is one of the most overused and pointless words used in politics.

She broke a cardinal rule of being British - showing too much enthusiasm for wanting something, which meant it had to be taken away from her.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

East Coast of America - somewhere near The Hamptons I think. She suffered from stage fright and this was one of her first concerts for some time I believe.
    Now I feel mean.

Thanks for that. Next time i'll be able to enjoy it completely without being catty.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

Maybe the unlamented Prigozhin was the Saturday visitor.

Meanwhile in the Museums sector - as elsewhere - public school and Oxbridge strikes again! (Don't bother pointing out there are also foreigners working there - they are from equivalent backgrounds. Until our 'elite' education is massively reformed and improved this will just continue to happen

The best way of improving the country would be to sack everyone who attended public schools and Oxbridge and replace them with people educated in the real world (which doesn’t include grammar schools).
    Tbf high profile British Museum trustee Muriel Gray isn’t afaik public school or Oxbridge. Her record on being involved with institutions speaks for itself.

Has the BM checked on its fire insurance?
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Pulpstar said:

I think being a dillettante is the goal for all those at the apex of British society. You don't want to have to put in lots of time and effort into something, just be important enough to automatically get chairs and directorships to indulge hobbies and fantasies. You don't even need to get richer from it, but it makes you looks civic minded without having to actually do much.

I'm all for volunteers and hobbyist at all levels of society, but those at the top get real social credit from doing it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But Hunt has a history PhD too and has published a number of history books, has taught history at London University and is in short a proper historian.

Also, he's the Director not the Chair of the V&A.

Apart from that your point is a good one.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,039
    edited August 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Goodness me. We are being spoiled.

As reported in the FT, Paul Flowers, ex- Co-op Chair, Methodist Minister (and much else besides) to be charged with fraud by abuse of position. This was the very same charge that Kweku Adoboli of UBS was convicted of in 2012.

Seems to be related to the fall out from the acquisition of the Britannia Building Society.

Flowers' interviews after his drug issues and other extra-curricular activities came to light in 2017 and his banning from being a director of a finance company by the FCA in March 2018 were a masterpiece of pitying self-justification.

Nevermind Paul Flowers. What about Brandon? He’s on the BBC at Reading Festival and I’m looking out for my son who’s somewhere in the crowd and by all accounts (from a few scarce texts) is having the time of his life.

And there was talk of Mormons above too.

The Killers set makes me feel doubly inadequate. It reminds me I’m now too old for pop festivals (or rather, too old to go to a pop festival without standing out as above the recommended age limit); and it reminds me I will never be as irritatingly good looking as Brandon Flowers, who is admittedly a few years younger than me.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,627

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But Hunt has a history PhD too and has published a number of history books, has taught history at London University and is in short a proper historian.

He is not a proper historian. His knowledge of history is embarrassingly poor.

For one thing, he drones endlessly about the radicalism of Joseph Chamberlain apparently unaware Chamberlain was leader of the Conservative party.

His books have been panned by every reviewer and his colleagues at QMUL (which is very full of itself but not truthfully of the highest standard) won't speak to him after he crossed a picket line to lecture on Marxism (apparently it wasn't even a good lecture).

The fact he is Director is even worse. It requires him to do things.

The reality is Hunt sums up all that's wrong with this country. He got where he is because his dad knew the right people. That got him a PhD, a TV series, a lectureship, a seat in Parliament and a cushy number, even though he's as intellectually vacuous as Baldrick after Happy Hour.

And he's not even a Tory.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 663
    edited August 2023
    Cyclefree said:

It's an immaculate song, every word is perfect, and her voice is superb. One for the ages.
    Not sure where the orchestra was hiding though - under the pier?
    Carly's greatest comment on the neverending questions about who's the song is about: 'Why does everyone always assume it was a man?'
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,297
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

For one thing, he drones endlessly about the radicalism of Joseph Chamberlain apparently unaware Chamberlain was leader of the Conservative party.

His books have been panned by every reviewer and his colleagues at QMUL (which is very full of itself but not truthfully of the highest standard) won't speak to him after he crossed a picket line to lecture on Marxism (apparently it wasn't even a good lecture).

The reality is Hunt sums up all that's wrong with this country. He got where he is because his dad knew the right people. That got him a PhD, a TV series, a lectureship, a seat in Parliament and a cushy number, even though he's as intellectually vacuous as Baldrick after Happy Hour.

I was at college with Tristram. (And his cousin. They were both in Z Blue Boar Court in
    1992-93).

Ask me anything.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,225
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I was at college with Tristram. (And his cousin. They were both in Z Blue Boar Court in
    1992-93).

Ask me anything.
    Does he pick his nose?
This discussion has been closed.