Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Fright at the Museum – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,315
    ydoethur said:

Poland investigates cyber-attack on rail network
    Hackers broke into railway frequencies to disrupt traffic in the north-west of the country overnight, the Polish Press Agency (PAP) reported on Saturday.

The signals were interspersed with recording of Russia's national anthem and a speech by President Vladimir Putin, the report says.

Poland is a major transit hub for Western weapons being sent to Ukraine.

Saturday's incident occurred when hackers transmitted a signal that triggered an emergency stoppage of trains near the city of Szczecin, PAP reported.

About 20 trains were brought to a standstill, but services were restored within hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66630260

The Russian national anthem makes this hack sound more like a prank by a patriotic Russian script kiddie than a state-sponsored cyberattack.

Perhaps THIS is why we PBers have not (yet) been hosting (in manner of speaking) our regular Saturday Putin-bot?

Or is it that the alleged demise of their convict commander, has disrupted activities at the Wagner Troll Farm?
    It's a systems problem. Wagner has crashed.
    Am I correct in saying that our weekly guest did not appear for a few weeks after Wagner's little adventure towards Moscow in June? If he does not appear for a few weeks now, it might rather indicate that he is rather attached to Wagner, as in money?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,890

Dorries has just tweeted that she has today submitted her resignation letter.

I have submitted my resignation letter to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, today.
    https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1695477448861757833

Full text of Naddine Dorries' resignation
    https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/news/313641/in-full-nadine-dorriess-resignation-letter
    Non paywalled version here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12448557/Nadine-Dorries-quits-Commons-seat-resignation-letter-full.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline
    Nad is mad at Rishi and wants to expose the deep state, or some such. Some of her novels are shorter than this resignation letter.
    I haven't seen a woman this angry since I slept with an ex's sister.
    If you want to make a woman mad, take her from behind cup her breasts and tell her the feel like her mothers
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,154

On art:

Many years ago, I proposed a system of travelling exhibitions for art and artifacts. Out country has millions of things of interest, often split between different museums and galleries.

Take Joseph Wright of Derby, a great artist I love. (The Orrery, An Experiment, Vesuvius). Many of his best paintings are in Derby, but there are others around the country. So organise a travelling exhibition that goes around the country, in which the best of his paintings, not just rom derby, but the country and the world, are shown.

This has the advantage of allowing many more people around the country to see the great works, but also promoting his works. It may also make people look up his works in their more local museums.

You can do it for other things as well, such as religious artefacts. Themed exhibitions already happen (see Charles ex-of this parish), but they should be more common and easier.

I don't frequent art galleries very often - they're generally not my thing. But one minor piece that really caught my interest was the central panel of the triptych below:
    https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/saint-catherine-and-the-philosophers-18226

It’s a nice idea in principle but the cost of insurance and security is prohibitive. The negotiations between galleries to borrow works for exhibitions take years sometimes. Whilst it would be great for everyone in Hartlepool to see, say the British museum’s collection of Greek vases, someone has to pay for it so either the cost of entry to the exhibition is prohibitive, the cost to the Hartlepool museum bankrupts it or stops them buying any new local found treasures, or the British Museum has to pay for it which means they have to sell the Elgin Marbles to the Saudis.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,098

ydoethur said:

Hackers broke into railway frequencies to disrupt traffic in the north-west of the country overnight, the Polish Press Agency (PAP) reported on Saturday.

The signals were interspersed with recording of Russia's national anthem and a speech by President Vladimir Putin, the report says.

Saturday's incident occurred when hackers transmitted a signal that triggered an emergency stoppage of trains near the city of Szczecin, PAP reported.

About 20 trains were brought to a standstill, but services were restored within hours.

The Russian national anthem makes this hack sound more like a prank by a patriotic Russian script kiddie than a state-sponsored cyberattack.

Perhaps THIS is why we PBers have not (yet) been hosting (in manner of speaking) our regular Saturday Putin-bot?

Or is it that the alleged demise of their convict commander, has disrupted activities at the Wagner Troll Farm?
    Am I correct in saying that our weekly guest did not appear for a few weeks after Wagner's little adventure towards Moscow in June? If he does not appear for a few weeks now, it might rather indicate that he is rather attached to Wagner, as in money?
    RIP
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,133
    boulay said:

On art:

Many years ago, I proposed a system of travelling exhibitions for art and artifacts. Out country has millions of things of interest, often split between different museums and galleries.

Take Joseph Wright of Derby, a great artist I love. (The Orrery, An Experiment, Vesuvius). Many of his best paintings are in Derby, but there are others around the country. So organise a travelling exhibition that goes around the country, in which the best of his paintings, not just rom derby, but the country and the world, are shown.

This has the advantage of allowing many more people around the country to see the great works, but also promoting his works. It may also make people look up his works in their more local museums.

You can do it for other things as well, such as religious artefacts. Themed exhibitions already happen (see Charles ex-of this parish), but they should be more common and easier.

I don't frequent art galleries very often - they're generally not my thing. But one minor piece that really caught my interest was the central panel of the triptych below:

It’s a nice idea in principle but the cost of insurance and security is prohibitive. The negotiations between galleries to borrow works for exhibitions take years sometimes. Whilst it would be great for everyone in Hartlepool to see, say the British museum’s collection of Greek vases, someone has to pay for it so either the cost of entry to the exhibition is prohibitive, the cost to the Hartlepool museum bankrupts it or stops them buying any new local found treasures, or the British Museum has to pay for it which means they have to sell the Elgin Marbles to the Saudis.
    Don’t give the Saudis ideas like that, or they’ll be in London next week waving the chequebook.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,820
    Sandpit said:

boulay said:

On art:

Don’t give the Saudis ideas like that, or they’ll be in London next week waving the chequebook.
    Or the UAE...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/aug/05/uk-experts-fear-losing-access-to-ice-age-mammoths-cotswolds-site-to-uae
  • Options
    FffsFffs Posts: 41
    Pagan2 said:

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/news/313641/in-full-nadine-dorriess-resignation-letter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12448557/Nadine-Dorries-quits-Commons-seat-resignation-letter-full.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline
    Nad is mad at Rishi and wants to expose the deep state, or some such. Some of her novels are shorter than this resignation letter.
    If you want to make a woman mad, take her from behind cup her breasts and tell her the feel like her mothers
    When I was a younger man this was known as a rodeo.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,315
    boulay said:

On art:

Indeed. But the alternative is the current situation, where so many treasures remain unseen and unremarked by the public because they are in some provincial gallery or museum. Museums and galleries are best when they inspire and provoke; and regular wow-worthy exhibitions can do exactly that. I love Wright's work, but it's a shame that few outside Derby ever get to see the Orrery, or to see Air Pump you need to go to London. Why can't the two be seen together, once in a while? What better to inspire people?
  • Options

Can someone use ChatGPT to rewrite You’re So Vain where the lyrics refer to embittered MP, Nadine Dorries, referring to jumped up management consulting intern of a PM, Rishi Sunak?

(Verse 1)
    You strolled into power, with a grin so bold,
    Former consultant, now a PM we're told,
    An embittered MP, fighting tooth and nail,
    In the corridors of power, a bitter tale.

(Pre-Chorus)
    You're both in a war, pride on display,
    MP's bitterness, PM's ambitious sway,
    An embittered MP, and a consultant's pride,
    In this battleground of egos, you collide.

(Chorus)
    Oh, you're so vain, trapped in your own charade,
    Locked in combat, accolades to trade,
    You're so vain, your paths now remade,
    Yet time will reveal the debts to be paid.

(Verse 2)
    MP fueled by resentment and disdain,
    PM turned leader, arrogance like rain,
    A battle of wills, of ideals and might,
    Both believing they're destined for the height.

(Pre-Chorus)
    But remember, MP, and PM so grand,
    Leadership requires more than a stand,
    An embittered MP, and a consultant's flair,
    In this journey of power, be aware.

(Chorus)
    Oh, you're so vain, entangled in your charade,
    Seeking dominance, your rules to be obeyed,
    You're so vain, both roles overplayed,
    And truth will unfold like a serenade.

(Bridge)
    An embittered MP, a consultant's past,
    Caught in a struggle, a battle so vast,
    But humility and vision will guide,
    As you navigate the currents of pride.

(Pre-Chorus)
    MP, release that bitterness inside,
    PM, let wisdom be your guide,
    For leadership is more than a game,
    It's about leaving behind a worthy name.

(Chorus)
    Oh, you're so vain, trapped in your own crusade,
    Chasing glory, in power's accolade,
    You're so vain, both on parade,
    Yet time will expose the decisions you've made.

(Outro)
    So continue, MP and PM, forge ahead,
    But remember, it's not just power you'll spread,
    An embittered MP, a consultant's stance,
    In the symphony of leadership, find your dance.
    Must be missing something, since it seems to me, that the VAIN one in this episode, is NDxMP.

Toooooo bad that the late, great Betty Davis is not with us, to reprise her role in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" for "WTF Happened to Mad Nad?"
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,472
    boulay said:

On art:

There's always money for spurious renovations in the capital's major galleries/museums, maybe a surcharge on bequests? So if the National Gallery does need another 'refurbishment' the provincials get a few exhibitions out of it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,946
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

In totally unrelated news:

that's...not reassuring. :(
    He's yesterday's man in every sense. A brief frisson of popularity in New Zealand where his Internet Party was a spectacular failure and he's fighting extradition to the US.

He's another one who has realised the world has moved on and no one is interested in the likes of him any more.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,971
    stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

He's yesterday's man in every sense. A brief frisson of popularity in New Zealand where his Internet Party was a spectacular failure and he's fighting extradition to the US.

He's another one who has realised the world has moved on and no one is interested in the likes of him any more.
    I took it to mean that his money supply had dried up...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,857

I don’t know what wing, if any, of the Tory Party Tim Montgomerie represents, but he has said he agrees entirely with Nadine’s condemnation of Rishi.

Those two are fucking, or they were.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,949

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

He is another case of someone who was a hero to the edgy progressives.

And who went down the Putin path.
  • Options

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

I'm edgy AND progressive . . . and never ever heard of this particular turd.
  • Options

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

If you believed in Julian Assange, he was the second, smaller turdlet. Taking The Fight To The Man, and all that shit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,633

I don’t know what wing, if any, of the Tory Party Tim Montgomerie represents, but he has said he agrees entirely with Nadine’s condemnation of Rishi.

Rishi and Nad were fucking?

Blimey, no wonder she's a bit cross with him.
  • Options

They were, from 2009.

Still, no gloomy divorcee she. Dorries readily admits to a love affair with Tim Montgomerie, the dashing editor of Conservativehome.com, but that was a serious relationship that broke up last Christmas.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oh-youll-be-more-than-sorry-gordon-6fj7dg7twr6
  • Options

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

If you believed in Julian Assange, he was the second, smaller turdlet. Taking The Fight To The Man, and all that shit.
    That leaves me out, seeing as how your truly always had Assange pegged as a bad-news bear-ski.
  • Options
    Well, Scotland came good in the end against Georgia, a very disappointing performance by England against Fiji
  • Options
    Oh wow, Ben Pattison Bronze in the 800m. Wasn’t expecting that one.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

West Ham top of the league? Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited August 2023

Nadine is a complete non-entity who, sadly, was not actually smart enough to even understand the challenges of the role during her brief ministership.

Absolute clown. Good riddance.

You can say that again.

She spent all her time thinking she was "attacking" the BBC yet approved a formula whereby the BBC Licence Fee will be increasing by 9% next April.

Now of course Rishi is going to try to wriggle out of it but it may not be possible because the formula is set in the BBC Charter and he won't be able to amend that without Primary legislation which isn't realistic.

There is going to be a massive row and Conservative backbenchers are going to be apoplectic - but like the boats Rishi isn't going to be able to do anything about it.

And all thanks to Nadine - the BBC hater who managed to award a massive increase in the BBC Licence Fee in the middle of a cost of living crisis. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Sandpit said:

Didn’t notice that one either, although I’ll bet against them still being there in May. I’m going to miss the sprint relay finals tonight, unless I can get wifi on the plane.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He aimed for the Moon but reached the stars.
  • Options
    Maybe the unlamented Prigozhin was the Saturday visitor.

Meanwhile in the Museums sector - as elsewhere - public school and Oxbridge strikes again! (Don't bother pointing out there are also foreigners working there - they are from equivalent backgrounds. Until our 'elite' education is massively reformed and improved this will just continue to happen
  • Options

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

That leaves me out, seeing as how your truly always had Assange pegged as a bad-news bear-ski.
    Yes. I remember telling people, from the start, that Assange was so in love with hating the West that he loved any and all tin pot dictators. Starting with Putin. His filleting of Wikileaks material to remove anything about his besties, his editorial line and his refusal to host leaks from Russia and other places made this self evident.

But people wanted to believe he was just edgy and cool
  • Options
    Quick question - the Labour Conference will take place after the Conservative Conference this year.

That seems to go against a convention of some sort - it's always been LDs, Labour and then Conservatives.

Do I have this right?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,610
    Anyhow, Dorries has at last resigned, and the LDs expect the by-election on 5 October.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Anyhow, Dorries has at last resigned, and the LDs expect the by-election on 5 October.

That would be a day after the closure of the Conservative Conference - the only thinking I can put up for that is Sunak and the Cabinet will somehow galvanise disillusioned voters back to the blue team with promises of tax cuts and a wonderful jam available after re-election.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    Josias Jessop said: "On art:

Many years ago, I proposed a system of travelling exhibitions for art and artifacts. Out country has millions of things of interest, often split between different museums and galleries."

A good idea, but I think it would be even better if your "art mobiles" mostly contained copies, rather than originals.

And I will go further and say that we should at least experiment with copies that are closer to what the pieces originally looked like. Since so many great works have been damaged by age and vandalism, why not try to make copies that are closer to the way the pieces looked when they were created? (Art historians -- which I am not --should be able to make pretty good guesses, in many cases.)

Of course this doesn't work for those who think of the works more as "Non-Fungible Tokens", rather than visual experiences. But that doesn't bother me.

• Options
    stodge said:

IanB2 said:

That would be a day after the closure of the Conservative Conference - the only thinking I can put up for that is Sunak and the Cabinet will somehow galvanise disillusioned voters back to the blue team with promises of tax cuts and a wonderful jam available after re-election.
    It doesn't matter who wins. They still wont have any answers none of our parties do.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 818
    stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Timed to undermine any positive momentum that may have been gained during the conference itself?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,280

Sandpit said:

The St. Petersberg troll farm are having a good go in the comments under that article.
    It's telling that their latest buzz-phrase is "negotiated peace". Things aren't going well for Russia.
    Progizhin negotiated a peace with Putin.
    How did that work out ?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

It doesn't matter who wins. They still wont have any answers none of our parties do.
    The answers are either a large increase in tax revenue, or a large reduction in the scope of government, alongside the recognition that the former is impossible to raise from 1% or even 10% of the population.
  • Options

I predicted the improved MPs' redundancy payment might shift her.
  • Options

Which one was angriest ?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Surely that only applies to those made redundant at an election, rather than those taking the Chiltern Hundreds?

Edit: well done Apple for correctly guessing “Hundreds”, after only “Hu” had been typed.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

@Eabhal

The first thing to read is this twitter thread/report which suggests that transport infrastructure in the UK is incredibly expensive compared to peer economies.

https://www.samdumitriu.com/p/britains-infrastructure-is-too-expensive?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

The next thing is these two charts, the first of which I posted last night. The usual suspects couldn’t wait to criticise, it was variously dismissed as Remainer propaganda, erroneous (by those who didn’t bother to check the underlying data), while others managed to find themselves arguing that commuter systems should not extend to actual commuting catchment areas (Tyndall).

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1695034745871032609?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1695083709831999553?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

I think the criticism that the first chart does not contain rail and bus is fair. But including them won't make the UK look much better compared with European countries, given only 2% of us use the train and 4% the bus to commute to work.

The ONS think 17.5 million people in England and Wales, or 35%, live in "major built up areas" - population over 200,000.
    That only a small percentage choose to use inferior public transport is fine, its a valid choice to choose not to do so, just ensure people have a choice.

What we need is to invest in our infrastructure. For our population density we lack sufficient roads, we have far lower roads than comparably dense nations like the Netherlands or Japan (both of whom have a higher public transport share and cycling share than we do) which means we lack sufficient cycle paths as a result.

Do what the Dutch have done and build more roads, cycling improves and public transport (buses) improves too. Everybody wins.
    I think your grasp of causality is rather weak.
    I think its better than yours of starting what you object to (cars and roads) and then working backwards from there. You say you're in favour of Dutch cycling, you say you're in favour of cycling paths, but any proposals of doing what they've done and building roads with cycling paths and rather than embracing that you oppose it. Why do you oppose the opportunity for new bike paths etc to go with new roads?

The other day you asked me when if we followed my policy of construction we could expect new cycling paths, would it be after a decade, and I said immediately - you never responded so not sure if you saw that. You also agreed that if the UK caught up with the Netherlands for road density it would represent 90,000 extra miles of roads and asked if we did that how much cycling infrastructure I would expect with that - to which I said about 180,000 miles of segregated cycling paths.

Besides motorways, all new roads as standard should come with safe, segregated, cycling paths. And building new roads to relieve traffic on old ones allows them to be converted to LTNs or have cycling added to them once the road's throughput is relieved so it can be narrowed to cars and give land space over to bikes once relieved.

How many miles of cycle paths do we have in the UK today? Do you think if we followed my plan and added ~180k miles of dedicated cycle paths thanks to new road construction, then do you feel that would be better for cycling or not in this country?

Its not reinventing the bicycle wheel - its what the Dutch have done for decades.
    I said very little of that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth.
    Ahem, here. https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4516644#Comment_4516644

36% extra mileage (which to be fair you said was dubious, but that's the maths) equals 900,000 extra miles of roads as you said. You said I was suggesting if we'd do that then it would be before we put in cycle paths when I was saying the opposite, I've consistently said to start putting them in immediately with new roads and then retrofitting old roads once the new roads are open.

Either way, lets not rehash what people had or had not said. Answering my point - how many miles of cycle paths are there in the UK currently? If we added 180,000 miles of new ones (half from new roads/paths, half from old ones) then do you think the situation in the UK would be better or worse?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

The answers are either a large increase in tax revenue, or a large reduction in the scope of government, alongside the recognition that the former is impossible to raise from 1% or even 10% of the population.
    Social democracy I believe as a concept is no longer affordable. This country is just further down the path than most western countries. I don't know where we go from here because any suggestion to limit money spent is met with fury. Personally I would start with the old. After 75 only fund palliative cre
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,964
    Ratters said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Timed to undermine any positive momentum that may have been gained during the conference itself?
    Isn't it up to the Tories to call the by election whenever they want? No need for them to call it for months if they so choose.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

The St. Petersberg troll farm are having a good go in the comments under that article.
    It's telling that their latest buzz-phrase is "negotiated peace". Things aren't going well for Russia.
    How did that work out ?
    Quite well. It lasted his entire life.
    Give a man a fire…
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

You might be right on the 1% but a big chunk of revenue could be raised from the top 10%.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He aimed for the Moon but reached the stars.
    Down to earth kind of guy.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Pagan2 said:

I find just putting the ketchup bottle in the wrong place suffices.
    There's a right place ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

How did that work out ?
    Quite well. It lasted his entire life.
    Give a man a fire…
    burnin' through the sky, yeah, 200 degrees ...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,226
    ydoethur said:

Pause

Pause

[clears throat]

Look, was I the only person who thought this meant Rishi was fucking Tim????
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,098

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

@Eabhal

The first thing to read is this twitter thread/report which suggests that transport infrastructure in the UK is incredibly expensive compared to peer economies.

https://www.samdumitriu.com/p/britains-infrastructure-is-too-expensive?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

The next thing is these two charts, the first of which I posted last night. The usual suspects couldn’t wait to criticise, it was variously dismissed as Remainer propaganda, erroneous (by those who didn’t bother to check the underlying data), while others managed to find themselves arguing that commuter systems should not extend to actual commuting catchment areas (Tyndall).

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1695034745871032609?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1695083709831999553?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

I think the criticism that the first chart does not contain rail and bus is fair. But including them won't make the UK look much better compared with European countries, given only 2% of us use the train and 4% the bus to commute to work.

The ONS think 17.5 million people in England and Wales, or 35%, live in "major built up areas" - population over 200,000.
    That only a small percentage choose to use inferior public transport is fine, its a valid choice to choose not to do so, just ensure people have a choice.

What we need is to invest in our infrastructure. For our population density we lack sufficient roads, we have far lower roads than comparably dense nations like the Netherlands or Japan (both of whom have a higher public transport share and cycling share than we do) which means we lack sufficient cycle paths as a result.

Do what the Dutch have done and build more roads, cycling improves and public transport (buses) improves too. Everybody wins.
    I think its better than yours of starting what you object to (cars and roads) and then working backwards from there. You say you're in favour of Dutch cycling, you say you're in favour of cycling paths, but any proposals of doing what they've done and building roads with cycling paths and rather than embracing that you oppose it. Why do you oppose the opportunity for new bike paths etc to go with new roads?

The other day you asked me when if we followed my policy of construction we could expect new cycling paths, would it be after a decade, and I said immediately - you never responded so not sure if you saw that. You also agreed that if the UK caught up with the Netherlands for road density it would represent 90,000 extra miles of roads and asked if we did that how much cycling infrastructure I would expect with that - to which I said about 180,000 miles of segregated cycling paths.

Besides motorways, all new roads as standard should come with safe, segregated, cycling paths. And building new roads to relieve traffic on old ones allows them to be converted to LTNs or have cycling added to them once the road's throughput is relieved so it can be narrowed to cars and give land space over to bikes once relieved.

How many miles of cycle paths do we have in the UK today? Do you think if we followed my plan and added ~180k miles of dedicated cycle paths thanks to new road construction, then do you feel that would be better for cycling or not in this country?

Its not reinventing the bicycle wheel - its what the Dutch have done for decades.
    I said very little of that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth.
    Ahem, here. https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4516644#Comment_4516644

36% extra mileage (which to be fair you said was dubious, but that's the maths) equals 900,000 extra miles of roads as you said. You said I was suggesting if we'd do that then it would be before we put in cycle paths when I was saying the opposite, I've consistently said to start putting them in immediately with new roads and then retrofitting old roads once the new roads are open.

Either way, lets not rehash what people had or had not said. Answering my point - how many miles of cycle paths are there in the UK currently? If we added 180,000 miles of new ones (half from new roads/paths, half from old ones) then do you think the situation in the UK would be better or worse?
    So you want to spend £1 trillion on new roads before you retrofit a cycle lane to any existing road? I think the UK would be vastly worse off compared to a scenario where you spent £1 trillion on better public transport and active travel provision rather than new roads to nowhere:

We have often described why population density is not a good measure of how urban a population is. Scotland is a great example of this.

It's a similar story for the Netherlands versus England in terms of road density and population. The English road network is highly concentrated around population centres, but there are very few in Northumberland, Cumbria, North Yorkshire and so on, which at least partially explains why England has fewer roads. The Dutch don't have equivalent areas.

So, your road building programme would face a conundrum. Do you build many more roads where few people live, possibly at much higher cost due to topography? And why would you do that anyway?

Or do you knock down large parts of cities and towns, and end up with urban areas which much higher road saturation than their equivalents in the Netherlands?

There may well be some cases where road provision is lacking. This is certainly the case in some parts of rural Scotland where things would be vastly improved with A road bypasses (cough-Nairn-cough). But for most of England? Hmmmm.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,740
    Nigelb said:

ohnotnow said:

Pagan2 said:

There's a right place ?

"Some believe it is meant to be kept in the cool, dark interiors of a cupboard, while others are convinced it needs to be refrigerated. Beloved ketchup producer Heinz has finally addressed the age-old debate, revealing that ketchup should, in fact, be kept in the fridge."

Evening Standard 30 June.

It's a slow news day. BTW, nothing beats spiced mango ketchup.

• Options
    As Bryant suggests, Dorries might have a future career writing Labour election messaging.

...Dorries, who was elected as an MP in May 2005, added: “What exactly has been done or have you [Sunak] achieved? You hold the office of prime minister unelected, without a single vote, not even from your own MPs.

“You have no mandate from the people, and the government is adrift. You have squandered the goodwill of the nation, for what?”..
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

As Bryant suggests, Dorries might have a future career writing Labour election messaging.

...Dorries, who was elected as an MP in May 2005, added: “What exactly has been done or have you [Sunak] achieved? You hold the office of prime minister unelected, without a single vote, not even from your own MPs.

“You have no mandate from the people, and the government is adrift. You have squandered the goodwill of the nation, for what?”..

If Nads had actually got her peerage, would she have had "a mandate from the people"? Would she not be "unelected, without a single vote, not even from [her] own MPs"?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

ohnotnow said:

Pagan2 said:

There's a right place ?

"Some believe it is meant to be kept in the cool, dark interiors of a cupboard, while others are convinced it needs to be refrigerated. Beloved ketchup producer Heinz has finally addressed the age-old debate, revealing that ketchup should, in fact, be kept in the fridge."

Evening Standard 30 June.

It's a slow news day. BTW, nothing beats spiced mango ketchup.

Nah, it only needs refrigeration AFTER you've first opened the lid.
  • Options
    Interesting.

New Ukrainian missile destroyed the Russian S-400 Triumph air defense system in Crimea on August 23, reported Secretary of National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Oleksiy Danilov. "This is our new product, which proved to be absolutely flawless," he added.
    https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1695447036479307985
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Didn’t notice that one either, although I’ll bet against them still being there in May. I’m going to miss the sprint relay finals tonight, unless I can get wifi on the plane.
    …or unless the plane gets delayed by an hour.

Edit: Noah Lyles, definitely the next Usain Bolt.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

@Eabhal

So you want to spend £1 trillion on new roads before you retrofit a cycle lane to any existing road? I think the UK would be vastly worse off compared to a scenario where you spent £1 trillion on better public transport and active travel provision rather than new roads to nowhere:

We have often described why population density is not a good measure of how urban a population is. Scotland is a great example of this.

It's a similar story for the Netherlands versus England in terms of road density and population. The English road network is highly concentrated around population centres, but there are very few in Northumberland, Cumbria, North Yorkshire and so on, which at least partially explains why England has fewer roads. The Dutch don't have equivalent areas.

So, your road building programme would face a conundrum. Do you build many more roads where few people live, possibly at much higher cost due to topography? And why would you do that anyway?

Or do you knock down large parts of cities and towns, and end up with urban areas which much higher road saturation than their equivalents in the Netherlands?

There may well be some cases where road provision is lacking. This is certainly the case in some parts of rural Scotland where things would be vastly improved with A road bypasses (cough-Nairn-cough). But for most of England? Hmmmm.

So you want to spend £1 trillion on new roads before you retrofit a cycle lane to any existing road?

NO!

You wouldn't build new roads all at once, and you wouldn't retrofit existing roads all at once.

Can start doing it immediately, and start retrofitting existing ones almost immediately. Indeed this is already happening in many places across the country, we just need much, much more of it.

your road building programme would face a conundrum. Do you build many more roads where few people live, possibly at much higher cost due to topography?

No and no.

Don't build them in people's houses but next to where people live. Towns and cities, besides maybe London, are not a solid monolith where there's no space available. Build new roads at the edge of the town to take pressure off what's inside town and create new capacity, you can build new LTN houses on the other side of the new road to relieve housing pressure, build new doctors surgeries or whatever else is missing on the other side too - and retrofit what was already there inside town with the new road taking the pressure off old roads.

And yes some places where few people live in order to create more new towns, so where people will live in the future. This country is desperately short of housing and new towns, and those new towns can be built with new roads, with cycling provision etc available planned from the beginning for the entire town. Hell, widen the boulevard of the main roads a bit and you can fit trams in too, so three birds with one stone - with off-road cycling segregated, trams with their own lines, and roads for cars.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Social democracy I believe as a concept is no longer affordable. This country is just further down the path than most western countries. I don't know where we go from here because any suggestion to limit money spent is met with fury. Personally I would start with the old. After 75 only fund palliative care
    A society can afford to have social democracy if it wants; what it can't rely on doing is having a welfare state and everyone having indefinite amounts of money top spend on stuff.

If you look beyond the whinging classes there is huge amounts being spent on holidays, smart cars, eating out, travel, affluent living generally.

Palliative care only? Start with MPs and England rugby players and it may get some votes from the 5.4 million +75s.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,807
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Surely that only applies to those made redundant at an election, rather than those taking the Chiltern Hundreds?

Edit: well done Apple for correctly guessing “Hundreds”, after only “Hu” had been typed.
    I get Huddersfield.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I get Huddersfield.
    Who’s ever typed “Chiltern Huddersfield?”
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I get Huddersfield.
    New direct service from Marylebone via Birmingham and Sheffield
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I get Huddersfield.
    Of course not. Chiltern serve Marylebone to Birmingham Snow Hill. Trans Pennine Express serve Huddersfield.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I get Huddersfield.
    New direct service from Marylebone via Birmingham and Sheffield
    With Class 68s? I'm on!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

@Eabhal

Large chunks of Cumbria have lots of roads, mostly narrow, though on the whole outside the hotspots most of them have almost nothing on them, mostly because no-one lives there. Useful however for tractor racing and moving sheep, and at this time of year brambling. (Good year so far).
  • Options
    Bronze for the relay women!!!
  • Options
    Anyway, Mid Beds is on. An interesting test of the two parties to demonstrate that they understand the requirements of ABC voting.

They have managed it so far. Lab/LD either winning a big majority or losing their deposit, depending on the seat. Labour need to largely step aside here.
  • Options
    Can I ask PB Brains Trust a question. Discussed the other day that my Laptop fan is getting ridiculously noisy, I managed to strip apart the Laptop but its no better so I'm going to replace the fans.

Searching for the model number of the fan part that was printed on a sticker on the fan found a few options. From Asus's own website its saying that the part is unavailable and usually shipped in a couple of weeks, £24 inc VAT for just the one fan: https://www.asusparts.eu/en/asus-13nr00s0m10011 (there's 2 fans, only 1 seems to be really noisy.

Amazon has available in stock on Amazon Prime a pair of the fans available for next day delivery, £21 for the pair: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bewinner-Cooling-Replacement-Connector-FA506IU-CPU-GPU-Fan/dp/B0BB3C4SX4/ref=d_pd_day0_sccl_1_3/261-0273537-0540738

I'm tempted to go with the Amazon one to get it just ASAP, but if its knock off crap then could it damage my Laptop?

There's not many reviews yet but all are 5 star and seem to be people in a similar position to me of replacing the fan because old ones are noisy, unless they're fake of course.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Anyway, Mid Beds is on. An interesting test of the two parties to demonstrate that they understand the requirements of ABC voting.

They have managed it so far. Lab/LD either winning a big majority or losing their deposit, depending on the seat. Labour need to largely step aside here.

But why would they, after that Opinium poll suggesting they’re the clear favourites, with the LDs a distant 4th?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/01/poll-nadine-dorries-by-election/

• Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Pause

Pause

[clears throat]

Look, was I the only person who thought this meant Rishi was fucking Tim????
    Don’t be silly.

ConHome didn’t fuck Rishi until long after TM had left.
  • Options

Can I ask PB Brains Trust a question. Discussed the other day that my Laptop fan is getting ridiculously noisy, I managed to strip apart the Laptop but its no better so I'm going to replace the fans.

Searching for the model number of the fan part that was printed on a sticker on the fan found a few options. From Asus's own website its saying that the part is unavailable and usually shipped in a couple of weeks, £24 inc VAT for just the one fan: https://www.asusparts.eu/en/asus-13nr00s0m10011 (there's 2 fans, only 1 seems to be really noisy.

Amazon has available in stock on Amazon Prime a pair of the fans available for next day delivery, £21 for the pair: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bewinner-Cooling-Replacement-Connector-FA506IU-CPU-GPU-Fan/dp/B0BB3C4SX4/ref=d_pd_day0_sccl_1_3/261-0273537-0540738

I'm tempted to go with the Amazon one to get it just ASAP, but if its knock off crap then could it damage my Laptop?

There's not many reviews yet but all are 5 star and seem to be people in a similar position to me of replacing the fan because old ones are noisy, unless they're fake of course.

I’m about to get on a plane, will will mark this post to get back to you tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

But why would they, after that Opinium poll suggesting they’re the clear favourites, with the LDs a distant 4th?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/01/poll-nadine-dorries-by-election/

Labour ought to go "full gas" and show that they're ready to be in government by taking safe Tory seats.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Sandpit said:

Labour ought to go "full gas" and show that they're ready to be in government by taking safe Tory seats.
    I agree.

Losing Mid Beds to Labour will wake up bubble-dwelling backbenchers to the electoral dudness of Sunak, too.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Mid Beds election is truly fascinating. It seems to me more or less impossible to make a convincing case for either Lab or LD to informally step aside. I think what will happen is that both parties will go for it full on, and that the Tories may come third. (If that does happen the further confident prediction is that Nad will blame everyone but herself for the outcome.)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

We might question whether having institutions run by boards of the great and the good juggling a dozen part-time appointments in areas where they've no expertise (and likewise with the Criminal Cases Review Board in yesterday's header) is a model that has passed its sell-by date.

It should never have been a model. Look at Helen Pitcher with her 8 jobs or whatever it is. Or even Osborne.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

I agree.

Losing Mid Beds to Labour will wake up bubble-dwelling backbenchers to the electoral dudness of Sunak, too.
    Labour may be value for Mid Beds.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Social democracy I believe as a concept is no longer affordable. This country is just further down the path than most western countries. I don't know where we go from here because any suggestion to limit money spent is met with fury. Personally I would start with the old. After 75 only fund palliative care
    A society can afford to have social democracy if it wants; what it can't rely on doing is having a welfare state and everyone having indefinite amounts of money top spend on stuff.

If you look beyond the whinging classes there is huge amounts being spent on holidays, smart cars, eating out, travel, affluent living generally.

Palliative care only? Start with MPs and England rugby players and it may get some votes from the 5.4 million +75s.
    A society can afford to if it is willing to pay the tax for it. British people dont want to and want to spend the money on the things you pointed out.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

I agree.

Labour may be value for Mid Beds.

If Labour take Mid Beds, then @Heathener is right and the Tories are heading towards rump status.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Pulpstar said:

One of the big plus points of the British museum I always felt was that artefacts would be safer there than many other countries. Well that one's out the window now. Immensely damaging.

I also didn't realise it was one of Osborne's many jobs. Now he's probably not to blame but perhaps appointing a chairman without 500other jobs might have been an idea. What curation and relevant experience does Osborne have in this area anyway ?

Does he have a burning ambition to catalogue and display artifacts or does he just fancy claiming a few quid for turning up to tea and cake once a month with the 'right sort of people'?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Any word on what Gareth Mackey the Independent in that poll is up to?

Easy to imagine him doing well on early name recognition but wilting under the onslaught of multiple professional by-election campaigns.
  • Options
    LibDem campaign email asking for people to go to Mid Beds THIS WEEKEND and get knocking. So whatever Labour do, we're doing it first.

Is there value on the Tories coming 3rd? Ordinarily I'd be worried about splitting the vote, but is Mad Nads so uniquely awful and the government worse that its not really a concern this time?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I get Huddersfield.
    Sounds like the name of a very aspirational used car salesman.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    I've backed Labour at 6-1.

Surely they've got to go for it with the Selby result.
  • Options
    Oh bugger, looks like I’m not getting on a plane tonight.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh dear, what's happened?

Hope things go well for you.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    One of the best performances of You're So Vain, one of the all-time great songs.

https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g?si=eax0QetYFTWoaQLY
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Mad Nad's resignation letter is a bit of a scream, lots of juicy bits. I particularly liked the self-deluded:"I am grateful for your personal phone call on the morning you appointed your cabinet in October, even if I declined to take the call."

But her maths is not the sharpest. Where does she get this from: "You have increased Corporation tax to 25 per cent, taking us to the level of the highest tax take since World War two at 75 per cent of GDP"?
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I get Huddersfield.
    Sounds like the name of a very aspirational used car salesman.
    More like the base model of a caravan - designed to make the Chiltern Harrogate and the Chiltern Henley look upmarket.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    The worse thing about the mad nads letter is the total lack of self reflection or awareness that she - and her love for Johnson - are all parts of the problem.

Just seems totally vindictive, bordering on deranged.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Oh dear, what's happened?

Hope things go well for you.
    Dunno yet, was originally delayed by an hour, but with the plane already at the gate, so I’m guessing an aircraft serviceability issue. There’s now the usual chaos and upset passengers as the staff work out what happens next, and the police turned up after voices started getting raised. I’m experienced enough of a traveller, and have no urgent reason to be on this specific flight, to sit and wait for the arrangements to be made. There’s two hotels at the airport, and both have rooms for tonight. Shame the lounge closed half an hour ago.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One of the big plus points of the British museum I always felt was that artefacts would be safer there than many other countries. Well that one's out the window now. Immensely damaging.

I also didn't realise it was one of Osborne's many jobs. Now he's probably not to blame but perhaps appointing a chairman without 500other jobs might have been an idea. What curation and relevant experience does Osborne have in this area anyway ?

George Osborne read History at Oxford, he's been around museums a lot and long time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Sandpit said:

Bronze for the relay women!!!

Feels like one of the better athletics world champs for us. Particularly in the middle distances. Hopefully Keely can overcome Mu tomorrow
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Any word on what Gareth Mackey the Independent in that poll is up to?

Easy to imagine him doing well on early name recognition but wilting under the onslaught of multiple professional by-election campaigns.
    Yes good question. I’ve no idea who he is, or what he stands for.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Does he have a burning ambition to catalogue and display artifacts or does he just fancy claiming a few quid for turning up to tea and cake once a month with the 'right sort of people'?
    ...plus VIP tours of every exhibition of course.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    A Conservative candidate from Nigeria. Okay, no great surprise. A Conservative candidate from Nigeria, who is a Mormon. Not that common. A Conservative candidate from Nigeria, who is a Mormon, and whose first name is "Festus". If those three don't combine to make him unique, I would be surprised.

(Could that first name have come from the old TV show, "Gunsmoke"?)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

George Osborne read History at Oxford, he's been around museums a lot and long time.
    That's not a very polite way to refer to Oxford's colleges.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Of course Dories had the option of challenging Sunak for the leadership.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you sure that isn't referring to the dons?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you sure that isn't referring to the dons?
    They're not museums, in my experience (which is actually quite extensive) they're more sort of fossils.
This discussion has been closed.