Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Meet the Top Tory who wants asylum seekers to F-Off – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Foxy said:

Paradise Scorched

CNS - Maui town evacuated amid ‘unprecedented’ wildfires
    Fueled by winds from the Category 4 Hurricane Dora, the wildfires are like nothing Hawaii has seen before.

As wildfires spread across Lahaina Town, a historically significant and tourist-dense town on the island of Maui, officials on Wednesday pushed to evacuate the area and called for backup from the National Guard.

Videos posted online show buildings engulfed in flames on Front Street, a travel destination in Lahaina. Some fleeing the fires and smoky air took to the ocean, where they were rescued by the Coast Guard, officials said.

Fueled by winds from the Category 4 Hurricane Dora, the wildfires are like nothing Hawaii has seen before. Lieutenant Governor Sylvia Luke issued an emergency proclamation and activated the Hawaii National Guard.

“When we deal with hurricanes and disasters following hurricanes, we're usually dealing with heavy rain, we’re dealing with flooding,” Luke, who is acting as governor because Governor Josh Green is traveling out of the state, said on CNN Wednesday

“The fact that we have wildfires in multiple areas as a result of, indirectly from, a hurricane is unprecedented; it's something that Hawaii residents and the state have not experienced.”

County of Maui officials warned people to stay away from the West Maui tourist destination where 911 service has gone down, as responders fight blazes there and in a mountainous region inland. In Maui around 14,500 customers lost power early Wednesday, as reported by poweroutage.us.

"Do NOT go to Lahaina Town," the County of Maui tweeted hours before all roads in and out of West Maui's biggest community were closed to everyone except emergency personnel.

County officials asked those outside of evacuation areas to shelter in place to mitigate heavy traffic, as evacuees sought to escape winds faster than 60 miles per hour that took out power and grounded helicopters fighting the fires.

The Coast Guard tweeted Wednesday that a crew rescued 12 people from the water off Lahaina and that it was “en route to Maui to enhance efforts.”

Maui County spokesperson Mahina Martin echoed Lieutenant Governor Luke in deeming the fires “unprecedented.”

"It's definitely one of the more challenging days for our island given that it's multiple fires, multiple evacuations in the different district areas," Martin said.

No deaths have been reported from the fires at press time. One firefighter was injured after inhaling smoke, and was hospitalized in stable condition, Martin said. Four shelters are open for evacuees, the largest holding more than 1,000 people.

Known for its rich history, Lahaina was conquered in the late 18th century by Kamehameha the Great and served as the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1820 until 1845 when Honolulu took its place. Its historic district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

https://www.courthousenews.com/maui-town-evacuated-amid-unprecedented-wildfires/

Sorry but “Dora” just lacks credibility as a
    name for a hurricane
    Eudora
    Wizadora
    Pandora
    We have a Theodora in our department, known as Dora.
    Is she a force of nature?
    She is indeed. It's like working with Tigger. She bounces a lot.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256
    Can't see the Greens winning Bristol West/Central. There'll be too much of a "we need to get the Tories out" mentality for them to win IMHO.
    If there's a by-election there mid-term during a Starmer government, it'll be a different story mind.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Police confirm Crooked House being treated as arson:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-65141057

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

In all honesty, I am starting to feel sorry for the alleged culprits. Tried and lynched on social media

Do they deserve this? Won't someone think of the evil property developers? Who is standing up for the people who like to tear apart 250 year old buildings full of memories, history and love just so they can make a quick £100k? Who hasn't....

Ach, nah. STRING 'EM UP BY THE GOOLIES
    Looks like it was the neighbours … didn’t want a commercial property there as had been having dispute about access…
    And they had a JCB ready to go, to:

1. Pile up the mud to prevent fire engine access

and then, when they panicked (due to the massive anger on social media)

2. To send in the JCB along non blocked lanes to tear down the evidence of their ALLEGED arson

There are other rumours as to why they wanted the land - cleared of annoying buildings

Fuck em. Looks like slam dunk to me. Guilty as fuck, and right next door

Not clear to me they have committed an offence.

I’ve only skimmed wiki, but it does suggest that the property must be “belonging to another”.

If it was unlisted and they don’t make an insurance claim…

I guess you might get them for obstructing the police in their enquiries?
    https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/criminal-damage#:~:text=Section 1(1) and (,would be destroyed or damaged.

Where property is destroyed or damaged by fire, arson should be charged - see Section 1(3) CDA 1971. Section 1(1) and (3) provides that arson is committed if a person without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property by fire, intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged.

For offences involving "simple arson" the property of another must be damaged.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited August 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

In all honesty, I am starting to feel sorry for the alleged culprits. Tried and lynched on social media

Do they deserve this? Won't someone think of the evil property developers? Who is standing up for the people who like to tear apart 250 year old buildings full of memories, history and love just so they can make a quick £100k? Who hasn't....

Looks like it was the neighbours … didn’t want a commercial property there as had been having dispute about access…

2. To send in the JCB along non blocked lanes to tear down the evidence of their ALLEGED arson

There are other rumours as to why they wanted the land - cleared of annoying buildings

I’ve only skimmed wiki, but it does suggest that the property must be “belonging to another”.

It does not have to belong to somebody else. Firing your own property can be an offence if it's done recklessly (which hides a multitude of sins). Here's the relevant law:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/48/section/1

(2)A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—

(a)intending to destroy or damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be destroyed or damaged; and

(b)intending by the destruction or damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered;

shall be guilty of an offence.

However, I should point out that when an identical crime was committed against the Aberystwyth Tabernacle in 2008, the only person actually charged with arson was found not guilty.
    edited August 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Paradise Scorched

Fueled by winds from the Category 4 Hurricane Dora, the wildfires are like nothing Hawaii has seen before.

As wildfires spread across Lahaina Town, a historically significant and tourist-dense town on the island of Maui, officials on Wednesday pushed to evacuate the area and called for backup from the National Guard.

Videos posted online show buildings engulfed in flames on Front Street, a travel destination in Lahaina. Some fleeing the fires and smoky air took to the ocean, where they were rescued by the Coast Guard, officials said.

Fueled by winds from the Category 4 Hurricane Dora, the wildfires are like nothing Hawaii has seen before. Lieutenant Governor Sylvia Luke issued an emergency proclamation and activated the Hawaii National Guard.

“When we deal with hurricanes and disasters following hurricanes, we're usually dealing with heavy rain, we’re dealing with flooding,” Luke, who is acting as governor because Governor Josh Green is traveling out of the state, said on CNN Wednesday

“The fact that we have wildfires in multiple areas as a result of, indirectly from, a hurricane is unprecedented; it's something that Hawaii residents and the state have not experienced.”

County of Maui officials warned people to stay away from the West Maui tourist destination where 911 service has gone down, as responders fight blazes there and in a mountainous region inland. In Maui around 14,500 customers lost power early Wednesday, as reported by poweroutage.us.

"Do NOT go to Lahaina Town," the County of Maui tweeted hours before all roads in and out of West Maui's biggest community were closed to everyone except emergency personnel.

County officials asked those outside of evacuation areas to shelter in place to mitigate heavy traffic, as evacuees sought to escape winds faster than 60 miles per hour that took out power and grounded helicopters fighting the fires.

The Coast Guard tweeted Wednesday that a crew rescued 12 people from the water off Lahaina and that it was “en route to Maui to enhance efforts.”

Maui County spokesperson Mahina Martin echoed Lieutenant Governor Luke in deeming the fires “unprecedented.”

"It's definitely one of the more challenging days for our island given that it's multiple fires, multiple evacuations in the different district areas," Martin said.

No deaths have been reported from the fires at press time. One firefighter was injured after inhaling smoke, and was hospitalized in stable condition, Martin said. Four shelters are open for evacuees, the largest holding more than 1,000 people.

Known for its rich history, Lahaina was conquered in the late 18th century by Kamehameha the Great and served as the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1820 until 1845 when Honolulu took its place. Its historic district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

https://www.courthousenews.com/maui-town-evacuated-amid-unprecedented-wildfires/

Sorry but “Dora” just lacks credibility as a
    name for a hurricane
    Eudora
    Wizadora
    Pandora
    We have a Theodora in our department, known as Dora.
    Is she a force of nature?
    She is indeed. It's like working with Tigger. She bounces a lot.
    I bet you all adora really.

(Sorry.)
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,019
    edited August 2023
    Drakeford and Welsh Labour running out of money

BBC News - Welsh public services must make cuts, Mark Drakeford says
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66438471
    Cicero said:

Did anyone else have a flying ant day today?

I saw thousands of them

I just saw one puny male ant, and that was it.
    Was his name Rishi, by any chance?
    Rishi is a flying ant surely?
  • DavidL said:

Miklosvar said:

State pensions to cost more than education, policing and defence combined

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-state-pension-spend-education-policing-defence-2023-n529t0tch

That's OAPs, not including civil service DB contractual stuff.

A problem.

Logan's run, its coming. The gerontocracy cannot be sustained.
    Jenny Agutter still looks OK.

Drakeford and Welsh Labour running out of money

BBC News - Welsh public services must make cuts, Mark Drakeford says
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66438471

A great many Valleys councillors must be worried about controlling their networks of patronage.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    edited August 2023
    Foxy said:

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-doctor-murdered-after-taking-wrong-turn-in-cape-town-jf9ffhq05

Reasons not to treat 3rd world shitholes as holiday destinations pt 94.

My wife and I hired a car in Cape Town and had a fantastic few days with no trouble whatsoever
    My granny smoked heavily and lived to be 89.
    My grandfather was an Infantry private at the Somme in 1916, lived to be 86. Proves that trench warfare is quite safe.
    Otto Hahn lived to 89 after being poisoned by phosgene gas during WWI.
    Served him right, as he was an instrumental part of the German chemical weapons division.

Nobel laureate, and respected elder statesman post WWII, nonetheless.

You can’t draw many useful conclusions from an anecdote.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

The demolition against what had been agreed with the planning authority is what gets them. The authority can compel restitution and should do so.
    The police and fire are now investigating "arson". They presumably have good reason

I am also fairly certain that if you deliberately torch a building (even if you own it) and then deliberately obstruct fire services from safely extinnguishing the blaze, you are breaking multiple laws
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Prince William voted the world leader with the highest US favourable rating, he also has a significantly higher US poll rating than President Biden or Trump.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1800396/prince-william-popularity-gallup-poll

'The Prince of Wales scored favourability with more than 6 in 10 Republicans (65%) and Democrats (63%), whilst The King scored fourth place, still firmly ahead of any American politician, with a favourability rating of 49%.'
    https://twitter.com/TheRoyalistsUK/status/1689265423894581248?s=20

He's not a World Leader. He leads fuck all, probably isn't even the boss in his own bedroom!
    He is next in line to be UK head of state, the King also polling better than Trump and Biden
    He's not a leader. You might tug yer forelock for him, but he's nowt to do with me.
    The King, our head of state now, also polls better in the US than Trump and Biden
    So the whole American revolution thing was a mistake? I can see why, given a choice like Trump and Biden they might think that.
    Well if they wish to return to the fold and restore the British Crown as their head of state I am sure the King would oblige.

edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Prince William voted the world leader with the highest US favourable rating, he also has a significantly higher US poll rating than President Biden or Trump.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1800396/prince-william-popularity-gallup-poll

'The Prince of Wales scored favourability with more than 6 in 10 Republicans (65%) and Democrats (63%), whilst The King scored fourth place, still firmly ahead of any American politician, with a favourability rating of 49%.'

He's not a World Leader. He leads fuck all, probably isn't even the boss in his own bedroom!
    He is next in line to be UK head of state, the King also polling better than Trump and Biden
    He's not a leader. You might tug yer forelock for him, but he's nowt to do with me.
    The King, our head of state now, also polls better in the US than Trump and Biden
    So the whole American revolution thing was a mistake? I can see why, given a choice like Trump and Biden they might think that.
    Well if they wish to return to the fold and restore the British Crown as their head of state I am sure the King would oblige.

Prince Philip, on being greeted by cheering crowds in Paris:

'Isn't it a shame you sent your own royal family to the guillotine?'
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Foxy said:

Miklosvar said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-doctor-murdered-after-taking-wrong-turn-in-cape-town-jf9ffhq05

Reasons not to treat 3rd world shitholes as holiday destinations pt 94.

Capetown is lovely, but like anywhere in RSA you need to be careful of where you drive, and who is nearby. I have had a lovely time on self drive holidays there, but no way would I turn off the freeway between airport and city centre in Cape Town.
    It's when you are woozy after a 12 hour flight anyway, and end up in the wrong lane.

Quite appalling tragedy of course. generally you get away with being robbed after this sort of fuck up.

Cicero said:

I saw thousands of them

Was his name Rishi, by any chance?
    Rishi is a flying ant surely?
    I do hope you are not suggesting he's an immigr ant.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    Anatomy of a Fraud: Kenneth Chesebro’s Misrepresentation of My Scholarship in His Efforts to Overturn the 2020 Presidential Election

https://www.justsecurity.org/87498/kenneth-chesebros-misrepresentation-of-laurence-tribe-scholarship-in-his-efforts-to-overturn-the-2020-presidential-election/
    Special Counsel Jack Smith has concluded that he can prove that several private lawyers acted as co-conspirators in former President Donald Trump’s criminal effort to overturn the legitimate results of the 2020 presidential election. That conclusion, which is backed up by an enormous body of evidence, has significant implications for American democracy as well as for what it says about members of the legal profession. In the wake of this historic indictment, it is important for those of us with more information to come forward.

I am personally familiar with an aspect of the indictment’s documentary evidence that may shed light on the actions of one of the attorneys – Kenneth Chesebro — who is identified as Co-Conspirator 5 by the special counsel.

In a civil suit, Judge David Carter called the 2020 election interference scheme “a coup in search of a legal theory.” What I have to offer here can shed light on the anatomy of that fraud. It shows how the attorneys concocted arguments that gave the scheme an air of legitimacy but one that could not withstand public scrutiny. I know this well because a key memorandum drafted by Chesebro — which might otherwise appear relatively innocuous even in how it is discussed in the indictment — laid the foundation for the scheme grounded, in part, on misrepresenting my work. I know this especially well because of my prior communications with Chesebro...

• I hope everyone knows that they share their postcards with the posties

I always look where they're from and then start to read them

They're usually so boring that I can't be bothered finish reading them. This slightly encourages me to write more postcards when I go on holiday; I worry about being boring in postcards, but it seems to be the standard

I had two today that weren't boring

One started "Dear X, We had a disaster on Monday"

Someone had had an unlucky **** (I couldn't read the next word) and had to be flown to hospital in Geneva with a pierced lower intestine

It finished "I hope you are well, I am fine"

The other one I enjoyed was from a kid on holiday to a neighbour

It said "thank you for look aftering our kittens"
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

The demolition against what had been agreed with the planning authority is what gets them. The authority can compel restitution and should do so.
    The police and fire are now investigating "arson". They presumably have good reason

I am also fairly certain that if you deliberately torch a building (even if you own it) and then deliberately obstruct fire services from safely extinnguishing the blaze, you are breaking multiple laws
    I'm not convinced about the arson charges.

https://cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/criminal-damage#:~:text=Section%201(1)%20and%20(,would%20be%20destroyed%20or%20damaged.

The alternative, presumably being "aggravated arson":

The aggravated offences require proof of an intent to destroy or damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be destroyed or damaged; and intending by the destruction or damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered.

• CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

I saw thousands of them

Sure did (South Wales)
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited August 2023

Can't see the Greens winning Bristol West/Central. There'll be too much of a "we need to get the Tories out" mentality for them to win IMHO.
    If there's a by-election there mid-term during a Starmer government, it'll be a different story mind.

I agree, no chance. I think Labour romp home there.

Will be interesting to see how much of the current green vote returns home to Labour. Usually most does. Will it be a holdout for disgruntled Corbynistas?

Will more return home than Refuk supporters to the Tories? Probably.

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

https://cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/criminal-damage#:~:text=Section%201(1)%20and%20(,would%20be%20destroyed%20or%20damaged.

The aggravated offences require proof of an intent to destroy or damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be destroyed or damaged; and intending by the destruction or damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered.

Da fing is, a pub belonging to Pubco Ltd is property of someone else even if you own 100% of the shares in Pubco. It is most unlikely that the place belonged to an individual vs a company at any relevant time.
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

Da fing is, a pub belonging to Pubco Ltd is property of someone else even if you own 100% of the shares in Pubco. It is most unlikely that the place belonged to an individual vs a company at any relevant time.
    Good point
  • stodge said:

Paradise Scorched

Sorry but “Dora” just lacks credibility as a name for a hurricane
    It's well away from the Four Seasons which is on my bucket list. I'm sure @Leon has stayed there - is it as good as it looks?

That said, disastrous for the western coast - the winds are being funnelled between the hurricane to the south and an unusually strong ridge over the northern Pacific which might perhsps be related to the typhoons further west over the Japanese Islands.

The winds are classic fire-makers, strong, gusty and bringing low humidity.

It seems likely there will be fatalities on an island unused to this - as the Governor says, it's usually flooding. It's also affecting the Big Island but not, as yet, Oahu.
    As an aside that’s a terrible article for the governor - the LG taking the lead as he’s “travelling out of state” while it burns
    Believe you may be jumping to conclusion

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/07/30/editorial/on-politics/column-gov-banking-on-approval-ratings-to-propel-policies/

If there is one thing that Hawaii loves, it is a winner. So when Dr. Josh Green waltzed into office in 2022 with a 62.2% win, the largest gubernatorial vote percentage in state history, the Big Island emergency room doctor embarked on a honeymoon with Hawaii voters that has yet to cool.

Measuring on a national scale, Green’s popularity has moved the Hawaii governor’s office out of the basement and onto the top floors.

Former Gov. David Ige has faded into the background and his never-good popularity numbers show why.

Green has an approval rating of 64% and a disapproval rating of just 24%. Based on these figures, he ranks as the third most popular state governor in the country . . . .

SSI - and note this item, published back in June

CNN - Hawaii’s governor, a former ER doctor, helps man injured in car accident – for the second time in three weeks

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/09/us/hawaii-governor-josh-green-car-accidents-help/index.html

SSI - Also note that Hawai'i is a small state, where The Governor is NOT some remote figure, but a person that many people have actually met, and know something about.

So his absence at the moment may be less important, than the quality of his administration's response. Which is being led by HIS Lieutenant Governor.
  • What's this about a Diane Abbott tweet (now deleted)?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    DavidL said:

I saw thousands of them

Surely an uncle? Edit, on reflection I don't want to start another gender argument. Apologies.
    Are you certain of that? In fact, are you (drum roll)...adamant?

:):):):):):):):)
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not surprising. They don't have to pay for him and his insistence on pageantry, and the cringing honours hierarchy. We do.
    No we don't, profits of the Crown Estate do
    Which should have all gone ionto the public purse many, many years ago.

Very unwise of you to bring up that particular issue, given how very, very well the RF has done out of it, rather than a proper fixed budget. Especially at a time when so many folk have had their finances trashed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/19/cash-and-the-crown-estate-a-look-at-the-british-monarchys-funding-deal
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/20/king-charles-to-take-smaller-cut-from-crown-estate-as-windfarm-profits-soar
    The King is seeing a fall in percentage profits from the Crown Estate while those on minimum wage, state pension and benefits are seeing an above inflation rise of 10%
    But from a VERY high level. So your polishing the turd with a steel brush in a Makita drill doesn't work.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not surprising. They don't have to pay for him and his insistence on pageantry, and the cringing honours hierarchy. We do.
    No we don't, profits of the Crown Estate do
    Which should have all gone ionto the public purse many, many years ago.

Very unwise of you to bring up that particular issue, given how very, very well the RF has done out of it, rather than a proper fixed budget. Especially at a time when so many folk have had their finances trashed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/19/cash-and-the-crown-estate-a-look-at-the-british-monarchys-funding-deal
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/20/king-charles-to-take-smaller-cut-from-crown-estate-as-windfarm-profits-soar
    The King is seeing a fall in percentage profits from the Crown Estate while those on minimum wage, state pension and benefits are seeing an above inflation rise of 10%
    But from a VERY high level. So your polishing the turd with a steel brush in a Makita drill doesn't work.
    Makita - middle class prosumer tools.

Hilti is what you want.
  • viewcode said:

DavidL said:

I saw thousands of them

Surely an uncle? Edit, on reflection I don't want to start another gender argument. Apologies.
    Are you certain of that? In fact, are you (drum roll)...adamant?

:):):):):):):):)
    Impud-ant!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    On-topic

Are you sure that Rishi Sunak doesn't back him?

It would fit with the recent populism-for-idiots strategy.
  • MattW said:

On-topic

Are you sure that Rishi Sunak doesn't back him?

It would fit with the recent populism-for-idiots strategy.

You're just another Lefty Lawyer standing in our way!!
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

The basic problem with the Conservatives is the Rwanda policy is a gimmick. The intention was obviously to just let the lefty lawyers and Euro judges block it and then blame them, with the solution being Brexit round 2, leave the ECHR. The flaw in the plan however is that the actual policy itself, sending people to Rwanda rather than back to France, is morally indefensible.

France won't accept them nor any other eu country which is why the eu is in talks with tunisia now to add to their agreement with libya to keep migrants out.

UK suggests something similar certain people get all up in arms
    The EU policy is to stop the boats, just like the UK policy. But surely it is clear that it is different sending them back to where they set off, to flying them out against their will to the middle of Africa with no route to claim asylum in the UK.
    Ah got you so the libyan coast guard taking them to a shed where they can just about have space to lie down and are rented out for field labour by the libyan governement is a lot better than sending them to rwanda....gotcha
    From the EU's point of view they aren't sponsoring the alleged slavery, they are just sending the people back from where they set out. I would suggest that is different to imprisoning them and shipping them out to a physically remote country thousands of miles away.

I don't think you can be certain that the refugees wouldn't end up the same situation in Rwanda.

The whole thing is a mess but the aim should be to close down the routes.

All those refugees are libyan....yeah but no the libyan coastguard takes all the refugees libyan or not
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Just seen that the McDonald's where I got my cheeseburger yesterday on Shaftesbury Avenue for a sugar top up in advance of seeing The Crucible was the one stormed by dozens of youths this evening. About the same time also.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

DavidL said:

Miklosvar said:

State pensions to cost more than education, policing and defence combined

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-state-pension-spend-education-policing-defence-2023-n529t0tch

That's OAPs, not including civil service DB contractual stuff.

A problem.

Logan's run, its coming. The gerontocracy cannot be sustained.
    Jenny Agutter still looks OK.
    Last year, pension costs increased by £6 billion to £110 billion. By 2025 they are expected to have ballooned to £135 billion, a figure £2 billion more than the combined day-to-day budgets for the Department for Education, the Home Office and the Ministry of Defence, Times analysis shows.

Up by 23% in 2 years?

Where does the Times get its numbers from?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,445
    So, do the people of pb.com return their shopping cart?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvs9Ii1toMp/
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Always
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited August 2023

What's this about a Diane Abbott tweet (now deleted)?

She tweeted a link to a BBC report on the event which has been covered on page 10 or 20 in the British media, in which 41 migrants died in a shipwreck off the coast of the Italian island of Lampedusa.

She added the comment "These migrants have indeed f***ed off. To the bottom of the sea."

The Sh*ttator called her tweet "foul-mouthed". Sky News say she stands "accused of 'exploiting tragedy' ". The Scum say she has been "blasted", she has "sparked outrage", and she has been "slammed".

F***ing well done, Diane. Help form a new party and you get my vote.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    malcolmg said:

Always
    Me too. Or "I also", whichever is grammatically correct
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,469
    CatMan said:

I saw thousands of them

Sure did (South Wales)
    Saw a few here in Midlands. Not 1000s though.

Peck said:

She tweeted a link to a BBC report on the event which has been covered on page 10 or 20 in the British media, in which 41 migrants died in a shipwreck off the coast of the Italian island of Lampedusa.

She added the comment "These migrants have indeed f***ed off. To the bottom of the sea."

The Sh*ttator called her tweet "foul-mouthed". Sky News say she stands "accused of 'exploiting tragedy' ".

Should we send prayers and sympathies to the Libyan Coastguard?

They've just missed out on 41 new... employees for their agricultural work scheme...
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Peck said:

The Sh*ttator called her tweet "foul-mouthed". Sky News say she stands "accused of 'exploiting tragedy' ". The Scum say she has been "blasted", she has "sparked outrage", and she has been "slammed".

We now have the entertaining prospect of Starmer & co condemning Abbott after remaining silently feart over Lee Anderson's comments.
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I believe that Anderson said that refugees should "fuck off back to France".

Perhaps Mike might explain why he didn't use the full quote ?

Now we know that France has many of the attributes of a failed state but it is still preferable to the places these refugees come from.

So you ARE "thinking what they are thinking" then.

They'll be pleased. That's the play.
    I'm a realist and the reality is difficult.

How many people live in failed countries - certainly tens of millions and very likely hundreds of millions.

How many people live in nasty authoritarian countries - hundreds of millions and if you include China its over a billion.

How many people live in economically backward countries - hundreds of millions, over a billion if you include India.

How many people live in countries threated by natural disaster or climate change - hundreds of millions.

How many more people will all these places have during the next few decades - hundreds of millions.

And how many people migrating from these places does it take to turn a first world country into something else ?
    None of that maps to "fuck off back to France". As I say, it's visceral. An appeal to base instincts (which we all have to varying degrees).
    Politics has always been based on appealing to base instincts.

Its ultimately "vote for me and I'll protect you from them".

Lee Anderson is an outlier in that he doesn't try, or doesn't know how, to use the pretensions of subtlety.
    Come off it. Don't be so dreary. Plenty of successful politicians do not do that.
    Some are talented enough to give it a hopey changey sunlit uplands presentation.

But it always comes down to greed, avarice, hate and fear.
    Peck said:

So what do you/does she want me to do? Vote the Italian government out? I have rarely seen such incoherent bullshit. She/you might have the ghost of a point if these unfortunates had been callously turned away from Dover, but that seems not to be the case.
  • TimS said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

The basic problem with the Conservatives is the Rwanda policy is a gimmick. The intention was obviously to just let the lefty lawyers and Euro judges block it and then blame them, with the solution being Brexit round 2, leave the ECHR. The flaw in the plan however is that the actual policy itself, sending people to Rwanda rather than back to France, is morally indefensible.

France won't accept them nor any other eu country which is why the eu is in talks with tunisia now to add to their agreement with libya to keep migrants out.

Because we do it in such an infuriatingly, embarrassingly uncouth way.
    The amusingly ironic way would be build refugee camps on Hampstead Heath, Richmond Park and Clapham Common.

I suspect the voters of Ashfield would be amused at the problem being concentrated on affluent Londoners.
    The vast majority of migrants and refugees find their way to London. Because we’re a world city and a melting pot where anything is
    possible. And I’m sorry to report to the voters of Ashfield that we don’t see it as a “problem” in the slightest. We actually have functional demographics rather than gerontocracy.

Lee will probably lose his Ashfield seat to Labour at the next election. Which means he can fuck off back to deserved obscurity.
    I'm sure the LibDems will be waving a 'Refugees are welcome here' banner with one hand and a 'No building anywhere at any time' banner with the other.
    Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

So what do you/does she want me to do? Vote the Italian government out? I have rarely seen such incoherent bullshit. She/you might have the ghost of a point if these unfortunates had been callously turned away from Dover, but that seems not to be the case.
    If they had turned up at Dover, or vaguely in the vicinity, recent history says that they would have been pulled off whatever boat they were on, to something safer, bought to shore. Where they would have been fed Dominos pizza. Including Hawaiian pineapple topping pizza. The fiends.....

The fatality rate in the Channel has been remarkably low, especially on the UK side.
  • rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

The amusingly ironic way would be build refugee camps on Hampstead Heath, Richmond Park and Clapham Common.

I suspect the voters of Ashfield would be amused at the problem being concentrated on affluent Londoners.
    The non stupid way might be more interesting.

https://www.europeanfutures.ed.ac.uk/asylum-seekers-and-refugees-right-to-work-in-germany-and-the-uk/
    … The UK’s longstanding asylum policy relies on circular logic: asylum-seekers are a burden as they are dependent on the state, so to prevent them from being drawn to the country by economic opportunities, we must exclude them from the labour market, rendering them dependent on the state. As well as being discriminatory and feeding into anti-migration sentiments, this approach represents a missed opportunity for the economy and welfare system. This is something Germany recognises, and the EU is beginning to, yet the UK still does not...
    This is just wild speculation obviously, but would giving asylum seekers the right to work before their claims were determined create a draw for yet more asylum seekers to come here?

Of course their claims should be getting determined much much faster and they should then be either given leave to stay and work or forced to get out where it is safe for them to do so.
    Quite:

Rapid processing would seem to be the holy grail here.

(1) It means people aren't waiting years, costing the taxpayer and allowing leakage into the informal economy
    (2) It discourages economic migrants, because they want to leak into the informal economy

The Dutch do it very well.

For those who come from or through a safe country, 96% of claims are processed within eleven weeks. 96%!

Now, other cases are more difficult. And there the Dutch can take longer. If you come off a flight from Congo and claim asylum at Schipol, then processing times are 43 weeks.

But still, compared to the UK, this is light speed.

And all we really need to do is to throw money at the problem. Yes, it means more immigration lawyers will be needed, but it absolutely has to be positive for the UK when all the costs are taken into account.
    Sounds great.

But what happens if after throwing money at the problem and clearing up the backlog that encourages migration at an even higher rate ?

The ultimate question is how many migrants is any country prepared to accept.
  • TOPPING said:

Just seen that the McDonald's where I got my cheeseburger yesterday on Shaftesbury Avenue for a sugar top up in advance of seeing The Crucible was the one stormed by dozens of youths this evening. About the same time also.

With all the places you could go to in central London for food you chose McDonalds ?
  • Peck said:

Were they blonde, blue-eyed Finnish nurses ?

Peck said:

Were they blonde, blue-eyed Finnish nurses ?
    The way she made that point about nurse recruitment was wrong, but her point was right.

I hope she stands for London mayor and wins.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Dr. Foxy said: "Not sure my pork pie and cold beans meal will play in Peoria!"

Pork and beans is still a traditional home dish in the US, though less popular than it once was. It's often served with hot dogs.

And there may be an interesting history behind that tradition. During the Civil War, Union soldiers sometimes dug a hole in the ground, put an iron pot in it, filled it with salt pork, beans, and probably some flavorings. They put the lid on the pot, covered it with a little dirt, built a fire over it, and then cooked it for a long time. (Probably better than most of their rations, which would drive a modern nutritionist nuts..)
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Now we know that France has many of the attributes of a failed state but it is still preferable to the places these refugees come from.

How many people live in failed countries - certainly tens of millions and very likely hundreds of millions.

How many people live in nasty authoritarian countries - hundreds of millions and if you include China its over a billion.

How many people live in economically backward countries - hundreds of millions, over a billion if you include India.

How many people live in countries threated by natural disaster or climate change - hundreds of millions.

How many more people will all these places have during the next few decades - hundreds of millions.

And how many people migrating from these places does it take to turn a first world country into something else ?
    None of that maps to "fuck off back to France". As I say, it's visceral. An appeal to base instincts (which we all have to varying degrees).

Lee Anderson is an outlier in that he doesn't try, or doesn't know how, to use the pretensions of subtlety.
    Come off it. Don't be so dreary. Plenty of successful politicians do not do that.
    Some are talented enough to give it a hopey changey sunlit uplands presentation.

Oh ffs. Pagan has in recent times made a powerful play for Guru of Grim, but here you see him off and reclaim the fraying robe.

maxh said:

148grss said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

148grss said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Its a terrible, unhealthy diet. Vegan food, especially vegan meat alternatives, is all processed carbs.

You keep saying this. It is not true. Vegan meat alternatives are largely processed vegetable (or fungal) proteins.

Oh really?

Just thought I'd look at first example I could think of, a burger, ASDA own brand for like-for-like comparison.

Per 100 grams
    Beef burgers: 13g fat, 5g carb, 20g protein https://groceries.asda.com/product/beef-burgers-bbq/asda-succulent-8-beef-burgers/910002976720
    Plant based burgers: 11g fat, 14g carb, 6g protein https://groceries.asda.com/product/vegan-burgers-mince/asda-plant-based-spiced-bean-burgers/1000383162213

Processed carb crap. No thanks.

Meat you can get whole cuts of unprocessed meat. Whereas you largely get processed crap for the alternative, which is nowhere near as healthy and not something we should wish upon our worst enemy.
    While that might be true for an Asda own brand vegan burger, an Impossible burger contains 19g of protein, while there are 18g in a Beyond burger.
    Also it’s a bean burger, not a pretend-meat burger! And if you think the beefburger *isn't* processed… well, ignorance is bliss I guess.

People get very strange very quickly when the consumption of flesh is questioned.

The idea that vegan food is ‘all processed carbs’ is just daft, unless you have an extraordinarily broad definition of ‘processed’ which extends to such processes as ‘picking fruit off a tree’.
    It's entirely natural. The whole planet works on the basis of a living food chain.

What do people think consumes their flesh when our time on earth is up?

Little clue: they aren't vegan.
    Natural does not equal necessary. It's natural for me to not be able to see clearly 4ft in front of my face, but I like my glasses. It's also natural to piss and shit straight onto the soil, but I'm sure people would get upset if I did that outside of any private compost heap I might decide to keep.

No one is saying that humans cannot get nutrients from meat, just that we can have a diet that doesn't include it.

If you feel that the consumption of meat is morally abhorrent, or just dislike the mass produced nature of a lot of meat now, then you can live a healthy life without eating meat.
    Yes this is my position. I know that it is perfectly possible to have a healthy diet without meat as I haven't eaten meat in 35 years and am in great health. I've never tried to force this view on anyone else and as far as I can see on this forum the greatest proselytisers are from the eating dead animals camp. I do wish they would fuck off as I believe the government likes to put it.
    I've never tried to make someone eat meat.

I've definitely had vegans and vegetarians try and make me eat their diet at events, either directly or through moral blackmail, or use their diet to exercise control in social situations. At a macro level there's a strong movement to tax or regulate me out of meat too.

So I wish they would fuck off, actually.
    I've seen people - usually old fogies - insist on trying to feed meat to vegetarians or pescetarians even when given ample notice to go for one of their other perfectlyt normal recipes.
    Yes, I've been vegetarian ever since I was a teenager (I'm in my 50s now) and my father never accepted it. Whenever I dropped round, he'd offer me a bacon sandwich or suchlike and then act all hurt when I turned it down. I never really understood his determination to make me eat meat when I was obviously doing fine without it.
    I cook a lot and have people around if someone is a vegetarian/vegan I have always made a main dish for them that is vegatarian/vegan....what I won't do is make the whole main dish vegetarian/vegan. The rest of us will be eating meat
    I'm the opposite. Rabid meat eater. But if I'm giving a dinner party and there is a veggie there I will give everyone veggie food. Gives me a chance to show off my creativity although warning: putting (delicious) open cap mushrooms in things turns everything grey. I think it's rude to give people different things effectively singling them out for their dietary choices. I invited them, after all.
    If someone wants to make a dietary choice, then that's their choice, but everyone else doesn't have to suffer for it.

My choice is to eat meat, and if I was eating at a vegan household I'd be seriously impressed and pleased if they put the effort in to make a meal suitable to my choices, not feel singled out.

For some reason though most vegans think they should be catered for, but there's no onus on them to return the favour.
    As I said I believe it is rude. I have invited the person for dinner and the essence of good manners is not to make someone feel awkward or out of place. Hence everyone gets veggie food. Rolling out a separate dish for them, although I'm sure would be appreciated, is imo bad manners. But then I'm an old fashioned kind of guy.
    Not a dinner party scenario - but at family get together / big work dos I get quite annoyed at the lack of veggie offering; not because there is nothing but because meat eaters will eat both their meat option and my veggie option, meaning the veggie option depletes quite quickly despite not many veggies being at a thing. At work we’ve started ordering veggie only buffets - half the team is veggie or vegan and when we ordered meat options alongside they were always left over but the veggie stuff would go quickly.
    Because there's virtually no nutrition in your veggie stuff and you are over indulging in what's essentially a side dish?

Reconsider your life.
    What a pompous, crass and ill-informed comment.

‘Virtually no nutrition’ - you’re just trolling, aren’t you.
    If you eat just rabbit food don't be surprised if you're still hungry after.
    Bruce Lee was vegetarian at times during his life. I can't recall any stories about him feeling hungry and weak because he wasn't getting enough nutrition.

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    TOPPING said:

Post of the year hahaha
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

But just to the post-fire state?
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Oh ffs. Pagan has in recent times made a powerful play for Guru of Grim, but here you see him off and reclaim the fraying robe.
    Perhaps it will reassure you that I don't view the general world in such a way.

I'm sure that people act at varying levels of noble, selfless behaviour throughout their lives.

But politics is based upon base instincts.

And perhaps that's inevitable - as you say we all have base instincts to varying degrees and they must be indulged in at some point (with hopefully moderation).
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    FBI shoot dead a man after he posted threats to Boden
    "Man who threatened Biden shot dead in FBI raid in Utah - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66457089
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    HYUFD said:

FBI shoot dead a man after he posted threats to Boden
    "Man who threatened Biden shot dead in FBI raid in Utah - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66457089

'Damn you Boden, I despise your ersatz, made-in-China version of English country clothing.'

Bang.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

https://www.europeanfutures.ed.ac.uk/asylum-seekers-and-refugees-right-to-work-in-germany-and-the-uk/
    … The UK’s longstanding asylum policy relies on circular logic: asylum-seekers are a burden as they are dependent on the state, so to prevent them from being drawn to the country by economic opportunities, we must exclude them from the labour market, rendering them dependent on the state. As well as being discriminatory and feeding into anti-migration sentiments, this approach represents a missed opportunity for the economy and welfare system. This is something Germany recognises, and the EU is beginning to, yet the UK still does not...
    This is just wild speculation obviously, but would giving asylum seekers the right to work before their claims were determined create a draw for yet more asylum seekers to come here?

Of course their claims should be getting determined much much faster and they should then be either given leave to stay and work or forced to get out where it is safe for them to do so.
    Quite:

(1) It means people aren't waiting years, costing the taxpayer and allowing leakage into the informal economy
    (2) It discourages economic migrants, because they want to leak into the informal economy

For those who come from or through a safe country, 96% of claims are processed within eleven weeks. 96%!

Now, other cases are more difficult. And there the Dutch can take longer. If you come off a flight from Congo and claim asylum at Schipol, then processing times are 43 weeks.

And all we really need to do is to throw money at the problem. Yes, it means more immigration lawyers will be needed, but it absolutely has to be positive for the UK when all the costs are taken into account.
    Sounds great.

But what happens if after throwing money at the problem and clearing up the backlog that encourages migration at an even higher rate ?

Hang on:

The reason so many make the trek to the UK is not because they want to become asylum seekers, it's because they want to enter the informal economy.

And we can't keep all of them locked up while processing them, because (a) there are so many, and (b) it takes such a long time.

If you process them quickly then you will deter economic migrants. Because economic migrants are rejected and deported within eleven weeks.

That is exactly what the economic migrant doesn't want. He wants to enter the informal economy during the multi-year application process. (During which time he will become lost to authorities.)
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited August 2023
    I've been to that vegetarian restaurant on Drummond Street a few times, but I think last time I accidentally went to the wrong one because I didn't realise there are actually two of them very close to each other. One of only two vegetarian restaurants I've been to. The other one is in London but I can't remember the name of it. Somewhere near Marble Arch IIRC.
  • New thread.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

God bless social media.
    Yayyy!

But just to the post-fire state?
    Turns out the Police are investigating arson now.... so complete rebuild and the perpetrators spend some time at His Majesty's pleasure.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    edited August 2023
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Quite:

Sounds great.

Hang on:

The reason so many make the trek to the UK is not because they want to become asylum seekers, it's because they want to enter the informal economy.

And we can't keep all of them locked up while processing them, because (a) there are so many, and (b) it takes such a long time.

If you process them quickly then you will deter economic migrants. Because economic migrants are rejected and deported within eleven weeks.

That is exactly what the economic migrant doesn't want. He wants to enter the informal economy during the multi-year application process. (During which time he will become lost to authorities.)
    You're making the assumption that they would be deported from the UK.

In 2021, enforced returns from the UK decreased to 2,761, 18% fewer than the previous year and 62% fewer than in 2019. The vast majority of enforced returns in the latest year were of Foreign National Offenders (FNOs) and a majority were EU nationals.

Enforced returns have been declining since the peak in 2012

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/immigration-statistics-year-ending-march-2022/how-many-people-are-detained-or-returned#:~:text=In 2021, enforced returns from,62% fewer than in 2019.

The UK is far from being as efficient at deportations than the USA.
This discussion has been closed.