Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Pence on what Trump wanted him to do in January 2021 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Archway1Archway1 Posts: 10
    Full marks to the ukrainians. They have passion but this is a hopeless task now. Good people though.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    Archway1 said:

Eabhal said:

Archway1 said:

Former Rada MP: 'Zelensky has become toxic', US seeks candidate for talks with Moscow It is becoming increasingly difficult for the West to support the Kiev regime. Washington is searching for a suitable candidate with a presidential perspective to negotiate with Moscow, as Zelensky is not deemed suitable for this role, according to former Verkhovna Rada deputy, Volodymyr Oleynyk, "The task of supporting the Kiev regime is becoming harder, yet abandoning it is also challenging," noted the political analyst. Washington had previously placed its bet on a counter-offensive, with the assumption that the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) could capture the Kherson and Zaporizhzhya regions to facilitate peace talks with Trump. However, now Kiev is being asked to either achieve success on the front or engage in negotiations. "The US is seeking a pro-Western candidate with a status, free from corruption scandals, and with a presidential perspective for the negotiations," added Oleynik.

https://twitter.com/djuric_zlatko/status/1687891246415523840?s=20

Top tip: always cut your nails in or immediately after a bath/shower.

Also cut straight across, rather than using the curvature of the scissors, if you're worried about ingrown nails.

You do not want local anaesthetic in your feet. Horrible experience.
    Top tip. Listen to Leon. You might learn something.
    Didn't realise Leon did podiatry on the side. Thought the flint knapping would capture all of his attention.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Archway1 said:

FACT: People in Washington know the Ukrainians are finished, they know they can't replace the losses. The question now is what comes next and nobody wants to accept publicly the fact that the Russians are in a strategically powerful and dominant position.

https://twitter.com/DougAMacgregor/status/1688016915866820608?s=20

FACT: sentences that start with "FACT:" contain lies.
  • Archway1Archway1 Posts: 10
    Still waiting for the moment when too many Westerners finally grasp that controlling the narrative doesn't save Ukrainians from relentless bombardment by Russian artillery. It only results in an unnecessarily large number of casualties as the narrative becomes a pivotal reason to continue with this futile war.

https://twitter.com/thesiriusreport/status/1687741776361033728?s=20
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Archway1 said:

This from the nyt. Zelensky under pressure to negotiate.

NYT: Zelensky is preparing to negotiate with Moscow under Western pressure "The situation is complicated by the growing pressure on Kiev to start looking for ways to peace through negotiations," the Ukrainian president said. The newspaper writes that Ukraine now "faces a double diplomatic challenge" - it needs not only to maintain solid support for the allies in the counteroffensive, but also to expand it.

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99800/status/1687872521750679552?s=20

If that was the New York Times there would be a link.

Mind you we are slightly better at seeing through lies than you typical Russian (troll)..
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318
    Archway1 said:

Foxy said:

Archway1 said:

This from the nyt. Zelensky under pressure to negotiate.

NYT: Zelensky is preparing to negotiate with Moscow under Western pressure "The situation is complicated by the growing pressure on Kiev to start looking for ways to peace through negotiations," the Ukrainian president said. The newspaper writes that Ukraine now "faces a double diplomatic challenge" - it needs not only to maintain solid support for the allies in the counteroffensive, but also to expand it.

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99800/status/1687872521750679552?s=20

Any thoughts on mysterious pilot deaths?
    Hows the nhs waiting lists.
    Sick burn
    Pulpstar said:

Archway1 said:

Sadly the ukrainians now seem to be struggling round Bakhmut.

Same energy as Josias Jessop "sadly" re Spacex

Actually, I want SpaceX to succeed with SH/SS. I also want BO or a.n.other to succeed as well with a heavy launcher, as I believe mankind's long-term future lies in space, and we cannot rely on just one provider. Two, or preferably three, are needed.

But I am bearish about SH/SS - especially compared to those who seem to ignore problems. As an example, some idiots are already blaming debris from the pad for the failure of the engines in today's test. Despite Musk himself saying that was not the cause of the failures on the first launch attempt...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Photo from the supermarket vodka aisle. Interesting to note the colours on all the bottles.

Oh, and a 70cl bottle is about £2.50.

Any decent wine?

I found it really hard to get good wine in Ukraine. The best you can find in the average local supermarket is some dubious Chilean or "wine of the European Union"

Find a liquor store in a bigger city and you can get reasonable Moldovan or Malbec or whatever, but nothing special

Except, of course, for that upscale deli in my weird Mafia hotel neighborhood in Chernivtsi, where they had the finest Barolos and Burgundies for the Blokes with the Bentleys and the Bodacious Blonde Bimbettes
    Been on beer so far, will explore the wines later in the week. Given that most of them are £2.50 like the vodka, I don’t hold out much hope, but did see a couple of the well-known South African brands when I was in the supermarket earlier.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    10 posts? How disappointing. Was hoping they could make at least thirty.

So what's the Moscow version of the Archway?
    Pulpstar said:

Latest SpaceX booster static test: a duration of 2.74 seconds instead of the expected 5 seconds, with four engines shutting down prematurely.

Not good, sadly.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1688265274792058880

'Not good sadly Eh ? I thought you couldn't stand Musk
    I don't like him, no. But that does not mean that I don't think SpaceX has done brilliant stuff - I've ramped their launches enough times on here in the past.

I think our future belongs in space. And that means getting oodles of mass up there cheaply. Which means we need orbital trucks (aka rockets) SpaceX's SH/SS are the current frontrunners to do this, and I want that project to succeed.

But it's clear that SH/SS have big issues atm, and ones that fans hilariously gloss over.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    DavidL said:

The timekeeping of Russian trolls is shocking. No wonder their armed forces are so weak. What time of night do you call this?

Shocking.

Effects of exhaustion from continuous engagement of their keyboard enemies. It’s unsustainable, I fear.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Archway1 said:

Leons analysis pretty good here and america sees what he sees. Pressure to negotiate is on.

Thanks, komrade
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    CatMan said:

10 posts? How disappointing. Was hoping they could make at least thirty.

So what's the Moscow version of the Archway?

Presumably Lubyanka Square.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

DavidL said:

The timekeeping of Russian trolls is shocking. No wonder their armed forces are so weak. What time of night do you call this?

Shocking.

Effects of exhaustion from continuous engagement of their keyboard enemies. It’s unsustainable, I fear.
    Troll attrition

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Archway1 said:

Still waiting for the moment when too many Westerners finally grasp that controlling the narrative doesn't save Ukrainians from relentless bombardment by Russian artillery. It only results in an unnecessarily large number of casualties as the narrative becomes a pivotal reason to continue with this futile war.

Why do you bother posting on here?
    Leon said:

Archway1 said:

Leons analysis pretty good here and america sees what he sees. Pressure to negotiate is on.

Thanks, komrade
    That's 'tovarisch', tovarisch Leon

edited August 2023

Pulpstar said:

Latest SpaceX booster static test: a duration of 2.74 seconds instead of the expected 5 seconds, with four engines shutting down prematurely.

Not good, sadly.

I don't like him, no. But that does not mean that I don't think SpaceX has done brilliant stuff - I've ramped their launches enough times on here in the past.

I think our future belongs in space. And that means getting oodles of mass up there cheaply. Which means we need orbital trucks (aka rockets) SpaceX's SH/SS are the current frontrunners to do this, and I want that project to succeed.

But it's clear that SH/SS have big issues atm, and ones that fans hilariously gloss over.
    The key to that is still probably AC Clarke’s Fountains of Paradise. We just need the right polymer.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    Sir Kid Starver Labour made 2 policy announcements this week.

1. They would privatise more of the NHS & faster than the Tories

2. They will house refugees (only the non white ones) on prison ships.

A vote for SKS Labour is a vote for the red Tories.
    Andy_JS said:

Archway1 said:

Presumably money. But with 10 posts and 40 minutes we can only hope it’s not on piece work.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Archway1 said:

36 hours late and only 10 posts before the hammer fell is a piss poor effort. Try harder next Saturday please.
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Archway1 said:

Presumably money. But with 10 posts and 40 minutes we can only hope it’s not on piece work.
    Certainly not peace work anyway

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited August 2023

Did you see the Slab candidate at Rutherglen promised to oppose child-starving?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/06/tories-are-no-different-from-labour-says-snp-in-run-up-to-rutherglen-and-hamilton-west-byelection

Makes one wonder what Slab are for if it isn't unionism and subordination to London Labour.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

You almost make me wish to vote Labour.
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/06/tories-are-no-different-from-labour-says-snp-in-run-up-to-rutherglen-and-hamilton-west-byelection

Makes one wonder what Slab are for if it isn't unionism and subordination to London Labour.
    "SLab are Antisemitic" presumably
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Ironically we all had an impassioned (well, relatively) debate about Ukraine’s chances yesterday morning at the usual troll hour, all on our own. And the psychological effect of that - normally bullish posters wondering if things were all going belly up, how long could Ukraine hang on, why is Russia still in the game - was several orders of magnitude greater than the piffle the actual trolls provide,

Which I suppose is why Russia’s best hope is to help seduce the Americans into voting Trump again. Only I think Trump is a tiger they could come to regret riding.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited August 2023

1. Like the the Blair Government did to reduce waiting lists.

2. I don't know what you expect. Kinnock said he hopes to exit the ships plan within
    six months. What are you going to do with these asylum seekers/ economic migrants already on board? If you have a spare room you could billet two or three.

Carnyx said:

There is fortunately a non-antisemitic party available that doesn’t believe in housing asylum seekers on prison barges, and it’s called the Lib Dems.
    edited August 2023
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

Archway1 said:

Thanks, komrade
    That's 'tovarisch', tovarisch Leon

Spassiba

The rains are coming to the boulevards, you must bring the cottage cheese
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

There is fortunately a non-antisemitic party available that doesn’t believe in housing asylum seekers on prison barges, and it’s called the Lib Dems.
    The beliefs of the Lib Dem’s are truly weird and wonderful.
  • TimS said:

Carnyx said:

So where does the nimby party think asylum seekers should be housed ?

1. Like the the Blair Government did to reduce waiting lists.

2. I don't know what you expect. Kinnock said he hopes to exit the ships plan within
    six months. What are you going to do with these asylum seekers/ economic migrants already on board? If you have a spare room you could billet two or three.
    1. He wasnt in hoc to the Private Health investors like Sir Kid Starver and Pet Shop Boy

2.He wouldnt have contemplated housing people seeking sanctuary in such disgusting conditions

Are there no depths that Sir Kid Starver plunges that will draw any criticism from his Centrist hypocrites?
    I’ve rediscovered a sad but inescapable truth this evening, after a month of mixing cocktails of painkillers to try to dull the excruciating pain of broken posterior ribs and what appears to be at least one herniated disc.

No otc or prescription painkiller short of dangerous opioids is as effective as alcohol. Hence why it’s the chosen poison of millions. Here I am chugging a Serbian rakija from a nemiroff vodka glass (slava ukraini) because it’s actually helping to dull the shooting nerve pains in my shoulder. Will of course regret it in the early hours of tomorrow.

Chronic pain really is the pits.
    TimS said:

Ironically we all had an impassioned (well, relatively) debate about Ukraine’s chances yesterday morning at the usual troll hour, all on our own. And the psychological effect of that - normally bullish posters wondering if things were all going belly up, how long could Ukraine hang on, why is Russia still in the game - was several orders of magnitude greater than the piffle the actual trolls provide,

Which I suppose is why Russia’s best hope is to help seduce the Americans into voting Trump again. Only I think Trump is a tiger they could come to regret riding.

A significant insight

Trump is sui generis and completely unpredictable. Yes, President Trump 2.0 might say Fuck it, let's forget Ukraine, and cut off all funding

Equally, it might please his vanity more if he acts like the saviour of Ukraine, hands them serious aircraft, or even threatens Putin with nukes until he withdraws. You just don't know with Trump. He is the theory of the Crazy Man in Politics, turned into real life. He is crazy
    TimS said:

I’ve rediscovered a sad but inescapable truth this evening, after a month of mixing cocktails of painkillers to try to dull the excruciating pain of broken posterior ribs and what appears to be at least one herniated disc.

No otc or prescription painkiller short of dangerous opioids is as effective as alcohol. Hence why it’s the chosen poison of millions. Here I am chugging a Serbian rakija from a nemiroff vodka glass (slava ukraini) because it’s actually helping to dull the shooting nerve pains in my shoulder. Will of course regret it in the early hours of tomorrow.

Have you ever thought of applying for the Troll position?

Commiserations. It sounds terrible.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

Carnyx said:

Add that to SKS being pro Brexit, and so on and so forth. Beginning to wonder what will happen.
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

So powerful we’ve fixed every spellchecker to apostrophise us.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,674

Leon said:

Talking of failing businesses, does central Glasgow really look this bad?!

That’s atrocious if so. Bleak. Can our PB Scots confirm this is a representative photo?

The real question is, why is this a 'radical council plan'? All landlords of such properties should be forced to keep them immaculate, thus incentivising them to find tenants (at more realistic rents) or sell.
    There's a problem with changing usage patterns. Investing, repairing or restoring the shops is pointless if there are no tenants for the shops.

The best thing the council could do is have a *plan* to allow rezoning, and allow these shops (often with flats above) to be turned into more flats. Or demolished and replaced with housing developments (with a scattering of shops).

The day of the small shopping arcade is probably over. What we need are more corner-style shops and small businesses interspersed with housing. Something that used to be called 'communities', oddly enough.
    I disagree. I think in many cases the owners are unrealistic in their rent expectations, and they're happy to hang on to big property portfolios and let them fall into disrepair. Forcing a standard of property maintenance to be upheld would make High Streets look better and/or force rents/property prices to more realistic levels, making high street businesses more viable. Change of use is fine, but I'd rather owner-occupation of shops/businesses that aren't crippled by massive rents/mortgages.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

The key to that is still probably AC Clarke’s Fountains of Paradise. We just need the right polymer.
    "But tell me: why do they call it the Tower of Kalidasa?"

(Apols if I have misremembered)

Clarke had a way with the killer last line ("The Ramans do everything in threes","Quietly, and without any fuss, the stars were going out"). That was one of them, I think.

Leon said:

TimS said:

A significant insight

Trump is sui generis and completely unpredictable. Yes, President Trump 2.0 might say Fuck it, let's forget Ukraine, and cut off all funding

Equally, it might please his vanity more if he acts like the saviour of Ukraine, hands them serious aircraft, or even threatens Putin with nukes until he withdraws. You just don't know with Trump. He is the theory of the Crazy Man in Politics, turned into real life. He is crazy
    But there is often method in his madness

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Have you tried Tramadol? Seriously. Might be worth it. Not quite the full on Fentanyl, but a powerful painkiller. Combine with Xanax and booze and you might feel fine

But do each of them in moderation
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Add that to SKS being pro Brexit, and so on and so forth. Beginning to wonder what will happen.
    He’s not pro Brexit. He’s just too much of a coward to be anti Brexit.

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Well this is something local Lib Dem memberships are pretty firm on. Most have members already either housing refugees themselves or volunteering at reception centres (including my parents), and pretty much all are on board with spending significantly more time and resources on clearing the backlog of claims, which is the only reason there’s an accommodation crisis in the first place.
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

A significant insight

Yes, but, then again, often there is not

Which makes him even more of a wild card

He has moments of genius and moments of outright narcissistic lunacy

As @TimS says, he really isn't someone you want to rely on for your geopolitical future, if you are, say, Russia and Putin
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

Clarke had a way with the killer last line ("The Ramans do everything in threes","Quietly, and without any fuss, the stars were going out"). That was one of them, I think.
    "There is a last time for everything."
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

The stars going out was the 9 billion names of god. Brilliant short story.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Have you tried Tramadol? Seriously. Might be worth it. Not quite the full on Fentanyl, but a powerful painkiller. Combine with Xanax and booze and you might feel fine

Backlash always overcorrects. The opioid overprescription in the US led to underprescription in the UK, which is antithetical to health care: we are supposed to reduce pain, not exalt it.
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

A significant insight

Method is overstating it. Self interest certainly.
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

Hey @DavidL did you recently link me to some UFO story?

I missed it. I've got about 5 major stories in my head thatI try to keep up with - we live in interesting times, etc - but I missed that. Do you mind re-linking? Ta if you can
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Leon said:

That’s atrocious if so. Bleak. Can our PB Scots confirm this is a representative photo?

The real question is, why is this a 'radical council plan'? All landlords of such properties should be forced to keep them immaculate, thus incentivising them to find tenants (at more realistic rents) or sell.
    There's a problem with changing usage patterns. Investing, repairing or restoring the shops is pointless if there are no tenants for the shops.

The best thing the council could do is have a *plan* to allow rezoning, and allow these shops (often with flats above) to be turned into more flats. Or demolished and replaced with housing developments (with a scattering of shops).

The day of the small shopping arcade is probably over. What we need are more corner-style shops and small businesses interspersed with housing. Something that used to be called 'communities', oddly enough.
    I disagree. I think in many cases the owners are unrealistic in their rent expectations, and they're happy to hang on to big property portfolios and let them fall into disrepair. Forcing a standard of property maintenance to be upheld would make High Streets look better and/or force rents/property prices to more realistic levels, making high street businesses more viable. Change of use is fine, but I'd rather owner-occupation of shops/businesses that aren't crippled by massive rents/mortgages.
    We regularly (3-4 times a year) head to Glasgow for various reasons - last time was Trnsmt to see Pulp and the Banksy show.

And yep it really is that bad both on sauchiehall street and Argyle Street, Buchanan Street isn’t doing as bad but it still has a couple of big gaps..
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

What I need, and it will be a test of NHS or private practice whether I can get it soon enough - is an injection to freeze the occipital nerve. Do that and I’m free. For a few days anyway.

However, several iterations of “try paracetamol and ibuprofen” to go before they manage that.
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

A significant insight

Yes, but, then again, often there is not

Which makes him even more of a wild card

He has moments of genius and moments of outright narcissistic lunacy

As @TimS says, he really isn't someone you want to rely on for your geopolitical future, if you are, say, Russia and Putin
    or even the GOP

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    edited August 2023
    TimS said:

Trump's unpredictability makes him more dangerous for Russia. He could do something that Biden wouldn't consider, such as bombing the Iranian drone factory.
    edited August 2023
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

What I need, and it will be a test of NHS or private practice whether I can get it soon enough - is an injection to freeze the occipital nerve. Do that and I’m free. For a few days anyway.

However, several iterations of “try paracetamol and ibuprofen” to go before they manage that.
    Fuck paracetamol and ibuprofen. You need Tramadol or Dihydrocodeine, and a major benzo to chill you out. Just don't get addicted, and you'll be fine (so don't do them consecutively for more than a week)

Xanax and Tramadol, in particular, is a fantastic combination. Probably better than heroin, tho without the initial orgasmic rush, but the same euphoric, painless carefreeness thereafter

Leon said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

I missed it. I've got about 5 major stories in my head thatI try to keep up with - we live in interesting times, etc - but I missed that. Do you mind re-linking? Ta if you can
    Yes it was in the Mirror. Some remarkable footage
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/spinning-ufo-fiery-thruster-spotted-30626047.amp

TimS said:

Trump's unpredictability makes him more dangerous for Russia. He could do something that Biden wouldn't consider, such as bombing the Iranian drone factory.
    Yes. Unpredictable for us too, which is why we certainly don’t want him, but silly for Russia to hope for him. But I suppose what they want is a divided America, which he guarantees.

I would hope that the good old deep state keeps doing things for Ukraine come what May.
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Backlash always overcorrects. The opioid overprescription in the US led to underprescription in the UK, which is antithetical to health care: we are supposed to reduce pain, not exalt it.
    Good call by us. The US situation with opioids is just horrific.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Fuck paracetamol and ibuprofen. You need Tramadol or Dihydrocodeine, and a major benzo to chill you out. Just don't get addicted, and you'll be fine (so don't do them consecutively for more than a week)

Xanax and Tramadol, in particular, is a fantastic combination. Probably better than heroin, tho without the initial orgasmic rush, but the same euphoric, painless carefreeness thereafter

Hard disagree. Tramadol has far narrower therapeutic index than most opioids and has SNRI effects you probably don't want if not a depressive, putting you at risk of serotonin syndrome. The DHC suggestion is much better, you can go wild.
  • TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Well this is something local Lib Dem memberships are pretty firm on. Most have members already either housing refugees themselves or volunteering at reception centres (including my parents), and pretty much all are on board with spending significantly more time and resources on clearing the backlog of claims, which is the only reason there’s an accommodation crisis in the first place.
    Yet I suspect that any suggestion of housing refugees in a locality would lead to the usual LibDem nimby leaflets being distributed.

And the backlog is never going away unless some serious levels of deportation takes place.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    "The absurdity of the Tories’ “on your bike” plea
    By imploring the over-50s to become Deliveroo cyclists, ministers are attacking their own potential supporters.
    By Jonn Elledge"

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2023/08/the-absurdity-of-the-tories-on-your-bike-plea
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

That is the British way. We are, after all, the people that prohibited the "Brompton Cocktail" - ie heroin. cocaine and cognac given to terminally ill cancer patients - because it was making these dying folk unduly "happy and sociable", and "risking addiction". In people that had 6 months to live. Fer fuck's sake

In decades to come we will look back at our inability to use pharmacology proactively, with outright mystification. The tide is finally turning - see the belated use of psychedelics for depression, ect - but it has taken a century, basically
    eek said:

Leon said:

We regularly (3-4 times a year) head to Glasgow for various reasons - last time was Trnsmt to see Pulp and the Banksy show.

And yep it really is that bad both on sauchiehall street and Argyle Street, Buchanan Street isn’t doing as bad but it still has a couple of big gaps..
    Argyle street is terrible. I often walk down it to the High Court. I see enough drug dealing on the way to keep the court busy full time if we didn’t spend all our time prosecuting sex.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    Archway1 said:

Sometimes the west is honest by accident and they reveal the truth that I have been saying for nearly two years now. I have widely said that Russia has been fighting Ukraine with a handicap on. Many uninformed people or liars in the west claim Ukraine can beat Russia, that Russia is hurting and struggling. This couldn't be further from the truth, as the American himself says in his testimony Russia is not only beating Ukraine but it is thriving as it does. Russia has brought Ukraine to its knees and figuratively hasn't broken a sweat. That is to say, Ukraine, it's entire military, mercenaries, volunteers, Active duty western troops fighting for Ukraine under the guise of mercenaries and UAF troops, NATO supplies and all the money America and the west can muster hasn't even broken Russias stride. I predict that at best, Russia is fighting at maybe 25% of its full combat capabilities. This is plain to see because Russia is not stupid, Russians are no fools. They understand full well that Ukraine was never meant to be the killing blow to Russia. Ukraine was always meant to be the test subjects sent to test Russian capabilities and to soften Russia up for the eventual NATO conflict to come. Russia understands this. Do you think Russia would be so foolish as to commit it's entire military to Ukraine knowing the wolves of the west circle? Of course they know. This is why myself and others have always known Russia has been defeating Ukraine with a fraction of its abilities because Russia is pacing itself for the long game.

https://twitter.com/DravenNoctis/status/1688078093913583618?s=20

Hilarious.
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Good call by us. The US situation with opioids is just horrific.
    The UK unrelieved pain situation is also horrific. Swings n roundabouts.

Also, I think the US situation is about the shitness of life in the US, not just the easy availability of opioids. This country has a thriving entrepreneurial illegal drug business, and if fent hasn't taken off I suspect it's more a demand side issue.

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Hard disagree. Tramadol has far narrower therapeutic index than most opioids and has SNRI effects you probably don't want if not a depressive, putting you at risk of serotonin syndrome. The DHC suggestion is much better, you can go wild.
    I have DHC. Doesn’t help much, just gives me constipation.

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Hard disagree hard disagree

I've tried all of these combinations. Xanax and Tramadol as a cocktail is sublime

So much so I am doing it very very sparingly. I am highly wary of Xanax addiction (which is hideous and properly dangerous, and I have been there), so it is a once-in-a-blue-moon treat, for me, for the moment

But if I am ever in severe chronic pain, or I am extremely old and sad, then YEAH BABY

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

I was on codeine for a long time whilst in my youth, and I was borderline addicted to it (*). Not a pleasant time in any sense.

I wonder if it's a case of the more effective the painkiller, the greater the chance of addiction?

(*) In the sense that when the pain was not there, I still wanted to take the tablets "just in case".
    edited August 2023

TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Yet I suspect that any suggestion of housing refugees in a locality would lead to the usual LibDem nimby leaflets being distributed.

And the backlog is never going away unless some serious levels of deportation takes place.
    The backlog is a pretty new thing. It can get dealt with, as it was in the past.

My sense is that voters don’t react to Afghans or Somalis living in their neighbourhood, they react to pictures of people arriving on boats and hotels and barges being filled up with unprocessed applicants. It makes the system seem out of control when it really needn’t be.
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

After 2 goes I really couldn’t be arsed correcting it. The force is indeed strong with this one.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/spinning-ufo-fiery-thruster-spotted-30626047.amp
    Muchas Gracias. That is curious
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

I've tried all of these combinations. Xanax and Tramadol as a cocktail is sublime

So much so I am doing it very very sparingly. I am highly wary of Xanax addiction (which is hideous and properly dangerous, and I have been there), so it is a once-in-a-blue-moon treat, for me, for the moment

But if I am ever in severe chronic pain, or I am extremely old and sad, then YEAH BABY
    It may be submlime to the opioid naive (in the medical sense) but ye and me both know you don't stay opioid naive for long... it's not a sensible recommendation for that reason. You can easily take 1.5g of DHC in a go after a bit of "practice" - equivalent dosage of about 2g tramadol is potentially deadly regardless of opioid tolerance.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Incidentally a lot of contaminated fake opiods out there causing overdoses. The latest is nitazenes:

https://twitter.com/judithyates1/status/1686644749350899712?t=sg1Kd17jEorZKiP-qch0Mw&s=19

Contaminated Street benzos too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66217906
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    edited August 2023
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Unlikely any opioid will then, at least without unacceptable sedation. Still they should be better than alcohol at same intoxication level...

(Will leave it to @Foxy to give actual positive suggestions since he knows stuff)
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

After 2 goes I really couldn’t be arsed correcting it. The force is indeed strong with this one.
    It’s not even logical. What actual commonly used word is “Dem’s”?

One of the most infuriating autocompletes on the internet.
  • Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

That is the British way. We are, after all, the people that prohibited the "Brompton Cocktail" - ie heroin. cocaine and cognac given to terminally ill cancer patients - because it was making these dying folk unduly "happy and sociable", and "risking addiction". In people that had 6 months to live. Fer fuck's sake

In decades to come we will look back at our inability to use pharmacology proactively, with outright mystification. The tide is finally turning - see the belated use of psychedelics for depression, ect - but it has taken a century, basically
    I have a slight theory that the suffering of the sick/old and dying (plus that of their relatives) is a form of human sacrifice to NHS idolatry.
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Not good, sadly.

Muchas Gracias. That is curious
    It’s the very clear shape at the end once the flaring or whatever dies down or is controlled that I found… interesting.

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Serotonin syndrome is way overstated as a risk, I am on high dose venlafaxine and take tramadol on top with no issues. The tramadol = snri equivalence is highly dubious, yes it has a very very similar chemical structure but with psychotropic chemicals a miss is as good as a mile. Certainly doesn't feel the same.
    TimS said:

Did you try a near infrared device?
  • Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Serotonin syndrome is way overstated as a risk, I am on high dose venlafaxine and take tramadol on top with no issues. The tramadol = snri equivalence is highly dubious, yes it has a very very similar chemical structure but with psychotropic chemicals a miss is as good as a mile. Certainly doesn't feel the same.
    It sounds like you're taking a prescribed medical dose, there is no way on earth that was what Leon was suggesting :D

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Unlikely any opioid will then, at least without unacceptable sedation. Still they should be better than alcohol at same intoxication level...
    Alcohol it is then.

I suppose there are 2 kinds of painkiller. Those that actually reduce the nervous activity that generates pain, and those that just make you not care so much about the pain because you’re high.

TimS said:

Not yet but I’ve ordered a tens machine.

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

It may be submlime to the opioid naive (in the medical sense) but ye and me both know you don't stay opioid naive for long... it's not a sensible recommendation for that reason. You can easily take 1.5g of DHC in a go after a bit of "practice" - equivalent dosage of about 2g tramadol is potentially deadly regardless of opioid tolerance.
    I'm suggesting he does it for a week, then stops. Not enough to get habituated or addicted

And that would be a FUN week, certainly more fun that sitting there in severe chronic pain, which @TimS apparently has, and which sounds fucking shit

I've never had major chronic pain (I've had terrible acute pain, kidney stones, etc) and apparently it can make you majorly depressed. George Clooney had it with a neck bone problem, and says he came close to suicide thereby. Not good. If some pills give you a week off - go for it

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

I have a slight theory that the suffering of the sick/old and dying (plus that of their relatives) is a form of human sacrifice to NHS idolatry.
    There is that risk, I think. Mustn’t complain etc.

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

When my mother died of cancer we found enough oxycodine in her house to incapacitate Glenrothes for a week. They certainly had not skimped on it.

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

Clearly based on lack of knowledge of modern NHS palliative care. My cousin recently died of metastatic breast cancer, and had a continuous opiod infusion. She was comfortable and lucid, even ate a full cooked breakfast the day before she died.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

I'm suggesting he does it for a week, then stops. Not enough to get habituated or addicted

And that would be a FUN week, certainly more fun that sitting there in severe chronic pain, which @TimS apparently has, and which sounds fucking shit

I've never had major chronic pain (I've had terrible acute pain, kidney stones, etc) and apparently it can make you majorly depressed. George Clooney had it with a neck bone problem, and says he came close to suicide thereby. Not good. If some pills give you a week off - go for it
    Isn't that horrendously cruel though? Kiss the face of God for a week and then back to Satan's arse?

Better to stay nose deep in haemorrhoids if that's all there is.
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Not yet but I’ve ordered a tens machine.
    Ok. Tens machines do work, but (as you know) that's giving yourself a mild electric shock, so there's some temporary discomfort. Red LED and NIR just gives a mild warming sensation under the skin but can have significant pain relief benefits. I have a sore shoulder that mine really helps. Nice to put on in bed before lights out.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Mine is somewhere between acute and truly chronic. I think I’ll have it for about a month then be ok again once the rib is healed. So psychologically it’s not as bad as something there indefinitely. The big emotion is frustration. Just fucking get on with it. But the downside of medium term pain is you don’t necessarily invest so much in long term relief.

The worst I’ve had was cluster headaches. Had them for 3 decades before finally being diagnosed properly and treated. Those are nasty. Disappeared a few years ago and yet to come back.

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

I think you are absolutely right. And you can see how this chimes with the "ethos" of the NHS, which is - let us not forget - the envy of the world

Prescribing drugs to heal wounds, restrict tumours, help broken things mend, knock you out for surgery, that's fine, that's what our taxes are for, but prescribing drugs that just make people "happier" in their final months, more sociable and carefree, more painless and euphoric? NO- NO NO NO - that's basically giving away taxpayers money to get old folk high, we can't be doing that, oh no, let them moan and wail their final months on earth, they've got fucking cancer, what do they expect???!! You might as well prescribe Ecstasy to teenagers to have better sex!

Etc etc etc for one hundred dreary NHS years
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

Clearly based on lack of knowledge of modern NHS palliative care. My cousin recently died of metastatic breast cancer, and had a continuous opiod infusion. She was comfortable and lucid, even ate a full cooked breakfast the day before she died.
    Still the old, sick and dying can drag out for many months, often stuffed with pills several times a day, after any quality of life has gone.

Its horrible for them and horrible for their relatives.

The cost must be horrendous as well especially given the intergenerational inequality on this country.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Isn't that horrendously cruel though? Kiss the face of God for a week and then back to Satan's arse?

Better to stay nose deep in haemorrhoids if that's all there is.
    Hard no
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    I think giving advice on painkillers on an online forum is a tiny little bit irresponsible.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

I think you are absolutely right. And you can see how this chimes with the "ethos" of the NHS, which is - let us not forget - the envy of the world

Prescribing drugs to heal wounds, restrict tumours, help broken things mend, knock you out for surgery, that's fine, that's what our taxes are for, but prescribing drugs that just make people "happier" in their final months, more sociable and carefree, more painless and euphoric? NO- NO NO NO - that's basically giving away taxpayers money to get old folk high, we can't be doing that, oh no, let them moan and wail their final months on earth, they've got fucking cancer, what do they expect???!! You might as well prescribe Ecstasy to teenagers to have better sex!

Simply not true though.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Mine is somewhere between acute and truly chronic. I think I’ll have it for about a month then be ok again once the rib is healed. So psychologically it’s not as bad as something there indefinitely. The big emotion is frustration. Just fucking get on with it. But the downside of medium term pain is you don’t necessarily invest so much in long term relief.

The worst I’ve had was cluster headaches. Had them for 3 decades before finally being diagnosed properly and treated. Those are nasty. Disappeared a few years ago and yet to come back.
    I get those. I am on a low dose of amytriptalene which largely keeps them at bay. Also knocks me out when I take them before bed. I am fortunate enough to have a very low tolerance for medication so a little goes a long way.
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

An odd comment as as you well know "the NHS" isn't homogenous. I had to pull some strings to get my dying and agnoal-y-breathing great uncle more than paracetamol on his last day. Most - or certainly those of us outside of the medical professions - would have been unable to pull those strings and had I been unable to I may have had to resort to personal intervention. It was an absolute disgrace. We need legal euthanasia yesterday. I cannot think of any other issue where the house of commons is so out of touch with society.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Please don't mix opioids with alcohol.

Good luck with getting prompt and effective relief.
  • On the issue of opiod drugs this is interesting on its effects in Appalachia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2uwELEB1A

The quality of free channels on YouTube is amazing and shows there's more to life than GDP.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

I'd agree with the reverse view expressed above that the NHS is actually pretty good at filling elderly patients with opiates to make their dying days more comfortable. It's just a shame that when they went into hospital a few days earlier they weren't actually dying.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

No otc or prescription painkiller short of dangerous opioids is as effective as alcohol. Hence why it’s the chosen poison of millions. Here I am chugging a Serbian rakija from a nemiroff vodka glass (slava ukraini) because it’s actually helping to dull the shooting nerve pains in my shoulder. Will of course regret it in the early hours of tomorrWouow.

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

Simply not true though.
    Would you prescribe heroin, cocaine and cognac for terminally ill cancer patients?

Because, if you would, and you do, imma headed Leicester Way for my Quietus
    edited August 2023

Foxy said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Man, that is shit

Yes, quite

An odd comment as as you well know "the NHS" isn't homogenous. I had to pull some strings to get my dying and agnoal-y-breathing great uncle more than paracetamol on his last day. Most - or certainly those of us outside of the medical professions - would have been unable to pull those strings and had I been unable to I may have had to resort to personal intervention. It was an absolute disgrace. We need legal euthanasia yesterday. I cannot think of any other issue where the house of commons is so out of touch with society.
    Yes, but that isn't policy, it is overstretch. NHS palliative care policy is very much to treat pain and discomfort, including psychological, even if it shortens life.

This discussion has been closed.