Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Pence on what Trump wanted him to do in January 2021 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 2023 in General
Pence on what Trump wanted him to do in January 2021 – politicalbetting.com

Pence on CNN on whether Trump was asking him to pause certifying the election or overturn it: "But frankly, the day before January 6, if memory serves, they came back – his lawyers did – and said we want you to reject votes outright. They were asking me to overturn the election." pic.twitter.com/7Jdj2qnajb

Read the full story here

Comments

• CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    First, so there
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    I still think Pence is an outside contender for the GOP nomination 2024. DYOR 👍
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Talking of failing businesses, does central Glasgow really look this bad?!

That’s atrocious if so. Bleak. Can our PB Scots confirm this is a representative photo?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited August 2023
    Unless the GOP changes its primary rules to bar convicted criminals sentenced to jail time from being a candidate for the party then it is still likely Trump will end up their nominee next year. Yet while most of the GOP primaries and caucuses will have taken place and most GOP delegates been picked before Trump's court cases in 2024 the cases will still be well before the GOP convention in the summer which formally picks the Republican nominee for President.

So the RNC would still have time to change the rules if needed
    DYSTOPIAN

Jim Walker
    @JimWalk53012534
    ·
    4h
    Replying to
    @donalderino
    and
    @MhairiHunter
    This is what Glasgow City Centre looks like under SNP control

https://twitter.com/JimWalk53012534/status/1688128244518723585?s=20

• PeckPeck Posts: 517

viewcode said:

CatMan said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

carnforth said:
    So the new owners have a substantial lump of insurance money to fund their redevelopment and are not bothered by any pesky listed building considerations. What could possibly be suspicious about that?
    "Jewish lightning"
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????/
    An old phrase for "very convenient fire damage"

Recently revived in THE BEAR (season 2) so I think it is permissible
    Oh sorry, you're right of course. Anything that's been said on TV is fine.
    An antisemitic trope.
    https://forward.com/culture/372158/why-do-people-call-arson-jewish-lightning-and-is-it-anti-semitic/
    Maybe some facets of historical verisimilitude are better left in the dustbin than polished for display.
    You mean like "Mein Kampf"? But then again, if it had been on TV recently would it be perfectly OK?
    "The idea that Jewish people are not into money is ridiculous" (C) Joe Rogan
    Baptist people are interested in money, but there isn't a phrase "Baptist Lightning"
    ISTM that the religious types who rake in money by the bank load are the rabble-rousing, tub-thumping evangelical types.
    Including some extremist Presbyterians whom it's a big stretch to call evangelical.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959
    Leon said:

That’s atrocious if so. Bleak. Can our PB Scots confirm this is a representative photo?

Somewhat selective. The entire block facing Sauchiehall Street was made derelict by the Art School fire.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

It looks like Sauchiehall St in the aftermath of the second Mack fire, and the Herald in their customary fashion have done whatever is the opposite of polishing a turd. Though that bit hasn’t completely recovered I can confirm it does not look like that.
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

At least on Oxford Street the "American Candy" places that used to have only a few more than zero customers each day looked colourful and happy. Also the boards outside ex-Debenhams units look quite pretty too - i.e. someone made an effort. Seems on Buchanan St or wherever in Glesca that photo was taken nobody even bothers.

That said, that vista could easily be from loads of places in outer London.
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Somewhat selective. The entire block facing Sauchiehall Street was made derelict by the Art School fire.
    Hmm. Seem to be quite a few pics of urban decay

#MomentsofHorror in #Glasgow: The best example of a ‘Glasgow Square’, Royal Exchange Square should be one of the finest urban spaces in our city and yet the southern side is blighted by vacancy, outcrops of Buddleja and water saturated stonework. The Square needs saving…👇😡🤯!

https://twitter.com/MurphyNiallGLA/status/1685564668490772480?s=20

I remember Glasgow being a surprisingly handsome city, and full of life and character. Lots of noble Georgian and Victorian buildings. Damn shame if it is rotting away
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    Leon said:

DYSTOPIAN

Jim Walker
    @JimWalk53012534
    ·
    4h
    Replying to
    @donalderino
    and
    @MhairiHunter
    This is what Glasgow City Centre looks like under SNP control

https://twitter.com/JimWalk53012534/status/1688128244518723585?s=20

Are you JimWalk53012534‘s single X follower?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,461
    Leon said:

A potentially controversial view:

It's healthy for a part of every town or city to be like that in small areas. Buildings have lifespans; spaces can change use. If a building or space is no longer fulfilling a useful purpose, or cannot be altered to have a useful purpose, best for it to be replaced with something that does. This means that it's good for towns or cities to have *small areas* that are ready for redevelopment.

In Cambridge, it looks like the old shopping centre, the Grafton, may be totally repurposed. As might the Beehive Centre a short distance away, despite neither being empty.

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/
    news/how-the-beehive-centre-in-cambridge-could-be-transformed-int-9320529/
    https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/developers-unveil-plans-for-overhaul-of-cambridge-s-the-graf-9306334/
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

#MomentsofHorror in #Glasgow: The best example of a ‘Glasgow Square’, Royal Exchange Square should be one of the finest urban spaces in our city and yet the southern side is blighted by vacancy, outcrops of Buddleja and water saturated stonework. The Square needs saving…👇😡🤯!

I remember Glasgow being a surprisingly handsome city, and full of life and character. Lots of noble Georgian and Victorian buildings. Damn shame if it is rotting away
    A fair amount of rot, but no more than before in my experience.
    A couple more bridge hit by Ukraine:
    https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1688191801474076672
    edited August 2023
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Dunno about rot, but they sure got RAT

"Other day other rat or i should say rats but again more cuts are being placed upon cleansing workforce.
    Sorry for the swearing in the video.
    Stop the rot in Glasgow."

https://twitter.com/ChrisMGMB/status/1628773820315082755?s=20

Friday 28th July
    An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull tucking into a roadkill Brown Rat. St Vincent St, Glasgow city centre

https://twitter.com/StablesDean/status/1684959834578296832?s=20

Cleansing workers have blamed the introduction of three-weekly bin collections for Glasgow’s rat problem. https://i.stv.tv/3DxKg0q

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1684532900706779136?s=20

What will solve this is INDY!!!

These rats are evil Tory English Rats. INDY!!!!
    Long thread about the government quietly undermining its own Illegal Migration Bill by not giving legal force to the main provisions in the Bill.

TL/DR The government knows Rwanda is bogus. They are neither processing asylum claims nor deporting anyone much who potentially could have a claim. They also know the combination of not processing and not deporting is unworkable, hence they have no intention of binding themselves to any requirements in their new legislation.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1688192949031493632
    On Glasgow: it's a city I don't know well, but I've walked through some of it, and parts are very nice.

And the cycling road race is currently on BBC One from he city, and it does not look bad at all, even in the rain. The Botanical Gardens looked beautiful.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    We appear to slowly be seeing more red-on-red, intra-Republican discourse. There's Pence. DeSantis has obliquely said Trump was wrong.

Does this grow? Does a Republican civil war have downstream effects on House and Senate contests too? Are there betting opportunities there?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743

Insofar as he’s a declare candidate, yes.
    Outside, as in somewhere between Doug Burgum and Vivek Ramaswamy (who might actually have a shot).
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

We appear to slowly be seeing more red-on-red, intra-Republican discourse. There's Pence. DeSantis has obliquely said Trump was wrong.

Does this grow? Does a Republican civil war have downstream effects on House and Senate contests too? Are there betting opportunities there?

I think it does grow. Do US citizens really equate the well-being of the nation with the well being of Donald? I don't think they do, and yet that' his theme.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    FF43 said:

Long thread about the government quietly undermining its own Illegal Migration Bill by not giving legal force to the main provisions in the Bill.

TL/DR The government knows Rwanda is bogus. They are neither processing asylum claims nor deporting anyone much who potentially could have a claim. They also know the combination of not processing and not deporting is unworkable, hence they have no intention of binding themselves to any requirements in their new legislation.

A good read. Damning.
    edited August 2023
    "Crackpot" is a powerful word from Mike Pence. I doubt he'll be a candidate for the nomination. Many Republican voters see him as Judas, betrayer of the Messiah.

To think...Trump calls 6 January "that beautiful day" - the day when he whipped up a mob who sought to murder his elected deputy, and whose actions cause several deaths. What a scumbag Trump is.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    edited August 2023

Mike THE CUCK Pence
    Peck said:

"Crackpot" is a powerful word from Mike Pence. I doubt he'll be a candidate for the nomination. Many Republican voters see him as Judas, betrayer of the Messiah.

That's certainly how the Trump faithful see him. I'm sure once Trump wins the nomination he'll be licking his boots once more.
  • Re: "Jewish lightening" would strongly advise any PBer visiting the USA to PUT A LID on such anti-Semitic skunk-shit.

Unless of course you're hanging out with a bunch of neo-Nazis or such like.

Just about the only ones who would a) get the "joke"; and b) find it funnier than a rubber crutch.
  • I still think Pence is an outside contender for the GOP nomination 2024. DYOR 👍

Pence is probably the one person most likely NOT be GOP nominee in 2024 (or any other year) for POTUS or VP.

Re: "Jewish lightening" would strongly advise any PBer visiting the USA to PUT A LID on such anti-Semitic skunk-shit.

Just about the only ones who would a) get the "joke"; and b) find it funnier than a rubber crutch.

We're all Doing The Work, Mr Irish

"Why did Hulu’s ‘The Bear’ refer to arson caused by ‘Jewish lightning’?
    While the term itself is an offensive Jewish stereotype, the show uses it as part of a story arc on restaurant’s staff no longer using pejorative language"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/why-did-hulus-the-bear-refer-to-arson-caused-by-jewish-lightning/

A hilarious "curse of the commentators" moment on the road race.

The commentator was saying how the leader doesn't make mistakes due to his off-road experience... when he slides off.

Still leading, though.
    Leon said:

Re: "Jewish lightening" would strongly advise any PBer visiting the USA to PUT A LID on such anti-Semitic skunk-shit.

While the term itself is an offensive Jewish stereotype, the show uses it as part of a story arc on restaurant’s staff no longer using pejorative language"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/why-did-hulus-the-bear-refer-to-arson-caused-by-jewish-lightning/

And you were using it for similar illustrative purposes ?
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

I was actually intrigued to see how many PBers might understand the phrase. That's why I used it

The miniature furore over THE BEAR using it has revealed that almost no one these days has encountered it, even Jewish people. Which I find surprising. I guess that is a good thing? It IS a slur, albeit very mild

In THE BEAR half the characters don't get it, and it has to be explained to them, as well
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

On Glasgow: it's a city I don't know well, but I've walked through some of it, and parts are very nice.

And the cycling road race is currently on BBC One from he city, and it does not look bad at all, even in the rain. The Botanical Gardens looked beautiful.

Glasgow is a lovely city, and also has some of the most beautiful countryside in the British Isles just outside it as well as the friendliest inhabitants. We were just there for a wedding by the bonny bonny banks of Loch Lomond. Now on the train home, sadly.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    edited August 2023
    I've been looking in to the relative merits of living in the UK vs Finland, particularly the consequences of becoming a resident of Finland and joining their social security system and paying tax in Finland. I always thought that the advantage of living in Britain was that the tax is lower but actually, the tax is not that different.

Social security paid by employer
    Finland: Social security tax 23% (average)
    (UK 13.8% above tax free allowance)

Social security paid by employee
    Finland: Social security Pension and unemployment contribution 8.65% (Average)
    (UK 12% up to £50k).

tax
    Taxed progressively through a complex tax code, but

Finland: combined tax on a £50k equivalent salary
    = £11600 (UK taxpayer pays £7500)
    Finland: combined tax on a £25k equivalent salary
    = £2693 (UK taxpayer pays £2500)

Note - there is no Council tax payable as municipal tax is taken from the deduction above.

This small amount of extra tax however gets you the following.

1. A pension as a percentage proportion of your lifetime earnings similar to a defined benefit employer pension. Whereas in the UK you get the state pension at about £900 per month, which would nearly always be much lower than what you would get in finland.
    2. Unemployment benefit starting at 13468 euros per year. (about £11,700)
    3. Accessible Council housing and large scale subsidised housing programmes, meaning that high quality housing is effectively always affordable.
    4. very high quality subsidised swimming pools, lido's, gyms.
    5. Seperate cycle paths on nearly all roads in urban areas. Public transport running everywhere at (on average) 15 minute intervals. Roads that are well maintained and generally not very congested.
    6. Vast areas of well maintained public footpaths, beaches designed for swimming etc.
    7. One of the best public school systems in the world, high quality childcare at negligible cost.
    8. Free university education.

I have been thinking about this a lot, and I think that almost every basic rate taxpayer in the UK would be objectively better off in the Finnish social security system.

Are there any advantages of the British system? Personally I am struggling to think of any. Having low taxes on wealth should be generating growth but that doesn't seem to be happening lately.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

I was actually intrigued to see how many PBers might understand the phrase. That's why I used it

The miniature furore over THE BEAR using it has revealed that almost no one these days has encountered it, even Jewish people. Which I find surprising. I guess that is a good thing? It IS a slur, albeit very mild

In THE BEAR half the characters don't get it, and it has to be explained to them, as well
    Damn.. you answered your own question! Full marks!
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

The inference that Jews were likely to burn down their property and make a fraudulent insurance claim wasn't hard to understand, even without the help of Google!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

"Other day other rat or i should say rats but again more cuts are being placed upon cleansing workforce.

Friday 28th July
    An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull tucking into a roadkill Brown Rat. St Vincent St, Glasgow city centre

Cleansing workers have blamed the introduction of three-weekly bin collections for Glasgow’s rat problem. https://i.stv.tv/3DxKg0q

Brexit.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

I know one person in his mid 40’s who insists on using the phrase but he’s a racist thick oaf who hates Lewis Hamilton for daring to be brilliant and black and calls fly spray “the flynal solution” so unfortunately there are plenty of dicks still around.
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

Will you try with "Jewish piano" next?

Serious question: did you gather much info on how many PBers understood the phrase? PB is like the rest of the internet, in that many people encounter something for the first time, look it up using Google or Wikipedia, and then act as if they've been familiar with it for ages.

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Friday 28th July

Brexit.
    That first video is worth clicking on. Quite something
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

I know one person in his mid 40’s who insists on using the phrase but he’s a racist thick oaf who hates Lewis Hamilton for daring to be brilliant and black and calls fly spray “the flynal solution” so unfortunately there are plenty of dicks still around.
    Question - have there ever been any Fascist/Nazi comedians who were funny?
    edited August 2023
    darkage said:

I've been looking in to the relative merits of living in the UK vs Finland, particularly the consequences of becoming a resident of Finland and joining their social security system and paying tax in Finland. I always thought that the advantage of living in Britain was that the tax is lower but actually, the tax is not that different.

Social security paid by employer
    Finland: Social security tax 23% (average)
    (UK 13.8% above tax free allowance)

Social security paid by employee
    Finland: Social security Pension and unemployment contribution 8.65% (Average)
    (UK 12% up to £50k).

tax
    Taxed progressively through a complex tax code, but

Finland: combined tax on a £50k equivalent salary
    = £11600 (UK taxpayer pays £7500)
    Finland: combined tax on a £25k equivalent salary
    = £2693 (UK taxpayer pays £2500)

Note - there is no Council tax payable as municipal tax is taken from the deduction above.

This small amount of extra tax however gets you the following.

1. A pension as a percentage proportion of your lifetime earnings similar to a defined benefit employer pension. Whereas in the UK you get the state pension at about £900 per month, which would nearly always be much lower than what you would get in finland.
    2. Unemployment benefit starting at 13468 euros per year. (about £11,700)
    3. Accessible Council housing and large scale subsidised housing programmes, meaning that high quality housing is effectively always affordable.
    4. very high quality subsidised swimming pools, lido's, gyms.
    5. Seperate cycle paths on nearly all roads in urban areas. Public transport running everywhere at (on average) 15 minute intervals. Roads that are well maintained and generally not very congested.
    6. Vast areas of well maintained public footpaths, beaches designed for swimming etc.
    7. One of the best public school systems in the world, high quality childcare at negligible cost.
    8. Free university education.

I have been thinking about this a lot, and I think that almost every basic rate taxpayer in the UK would be objectively better off in the Finnish social security system.

Are there any advantages of the British system? Personally I am struggling to think of any. Having low taxes on wealth should be generating growth but that doesn't seem to be happening lately.

Finnish is supposed to be a hard language to learn, but from what you've posted it does sound nice, and is now in NATO so no worries Putin might try and take it.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

Doing a bit of a dive on this phrase, I've noticed a new evolution if it:

Developer's Lightning

Not quite as pithy (just doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way) but exactly the same meaning

Apparently there have been lots of Developer's Lightning strikes in the West Midlands, especially on pubs like the Crooked House, and also in Glasgow on almost anything

Which nearly ties two of our themes together

That Crooked House fire is a scandal. EXTREMELY suspicious. Especially the way the only access road was "accidentally" blocked so that the fire could not be easily extinguished. I hope the coppers go hard on this case, and if they get a conviction, people should go to prison. Wilful destruction of precious history. GRRRR
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    FF43 said:

This slide is extraordinary:

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1688113922409111552?t=TOx78XLo7bt0OWa2oFNClw&s=19

boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

There was that guy from The Producers, but I guess he didn't mean to be funny.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,275
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

The phrase "to jew down" meaning "to attempt to get a lower price" was, at least in the late 1990s, still used somewhat. I heard it on my first visit to New York from an otherwise educated colleague, and had to ask what it meant:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jew down
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited August 2023
    If memory services Pence resisted giving testimony in this matter, it had to be extracted unwillingly. He seems to be willing to do the right thing, as with January 6th, but only at the very last moment possible.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Leon said:

Apparently there have been lots of Developer's Lightning strikes in the West Midlands, especially on pubs like the Crooked House, and also in Glasgow on almost anything

In Glasgow it was common enough to spawn a joke

"Sorry to hear your shop burned down"

"No, the fire's not till next week"
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

Doing a bit of a dive on this phrase, I've noticed a new evolution if it:

Developer's Lightning

Not quite as pithy (just doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way) but exactly the same meaning

Which nearly ties two of our themes together

That Crooked House fire is a scandal. EXTREMELY suspicious. Especially the way the only access road was "accidentally" blocked so that the fire could not be easily extinguished. I hope the coppers go hard on this case, and if they get a conviction, people should go to prison. Wilful destruction of precious history. GRRRR
    I have had a few drinks in The Crooked House, albeit a while back. Great pub.

"Jewish Lightning" is very much an anti-semetic slur.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    The PM provokes excitement taking part in fitness classes in LA.

'Posting on TikTok, Hannah Harmelin said the prime minister joined her 7am SoulCycle class on Friday, saying: "I think I just had the biggest heart attack of my life.

"So I walk into my Taylor Swift-themed 7am SoulCycle class in Santa Monica, and there's Secret Service everywhere in the studio, they're lined up on the sidewalk, they're inside, they're in every corner..."So the class ends, and I'm looking around trying to see where she is.
    "They're like, standing there with their earpieces, and they're all serious and there's just security everywhere.

"I'm like, 'What is going on?'"....

"Turns out it was the prime minister of the UK - apparently he's a Swifty."

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-takes-part-in-taylor-swift-themed-fitness-class-in-los-angeles-tiktoker-claims-12934255

boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

This doesn't seem to be very funny unless possibly if read as self-mocking, which obv wasn't the intention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJv-zqVUGAw
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,275
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Ancient street joke. Mel Brooks tells it this way:

"Moishe and Mendel meet on the street. Mendel says, "I heard about the fire. It's terrible!"

Moishe says, "Shhhh! Thursday!" "
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

A good thread on Developer's Lightning strikes across the UK, multiple examples in the replies

Boils my nut, TBH. Hate these people: put them in prison. History is memory. Memory is identity. With every loss, we lose a bit of our identity

"Developers bought the iconic Black Country pub The Crooked House (building built in 1765) and it mysteriously burnt down last night. This happens every single time a pub is bought across Birmingham. Starting to feel like ‘housing developer’ is code for ‘arsonist’."

https://twitter.com/drhingram/status/1688088987523862528?s=20

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    HYUFD said:

The PM provokes excitement taking part in fitness classes in LA.

'Posting on TikTok, Hannah Harmelin said the prime minister joined her 7am SoulCycle class on Friday, saying: "I think I just had the biggest heart attack of my life.

"So I walk into my Taylor Swift-themed 7am SoulCycle class in Santa Monica, and there's Secret Service everywhere in the studio, they're lined up on the sidewalk, they're inside, they're in every corner..."So the class ends, and I'm looking around trying to see where she is.
    "They're like, standing there with their earpieces, and they're all serious and there's just security everywhere.

"I'm like, 'What is going on?'"....

"Turns out it was the prime minister of the UK - apparently he's a Swifty."

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-takes-part-in-taylor-swift-themed-fitness-class-in-los-angeles-tiktoker-claims-12934255

looking for properties... :)
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Dunno whether there's a phrase for it, but scuttling fishing boats by fire for the insurance seemed to be a thing some years ago,  …    so I was told

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The Glesca polis love that kind of thing when it's a pub and the whole nick can enjoy free "fire-destroyed" alcohol for a fortnight afterwards.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,251
    kle4 said:

If memory services Pence resisted giving testimony in this matter, it had to be extracted unwillingly. He seems to be willing to do the right thing, as with January 6th, but only at the very last moment possible.

I’m wondering if the GOP are starting to acknowledge the likelihood that Trump is going to be in prison by the end of 2024. And given that they realise the sooner they cut him off the better, no matter how enraged the MAGA crowd gets.
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Dunno whether there's a phrase for it, but scuttling fishing boats by fire for the insurance seemed to be a thing some years ago,  …    so I was told

Would that be counted as “An act of Cod”?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Fraudulent sinking (ideally over-insured) has been a thjing for centuries. Samuel Plimsoll MP's campaign covered, in part, ships that were deliberately dangerous and over-insured a centurt and a half ago. There are some amusing book-length memoirs by maritime insurance assessors on their favourite cases.

The main issue is whether the crew know/can get off in time. Bit suspicious when they are neatly lined up for the lifeboat with their suitcases packed ...
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Barratry?

This is not as easy as it looks. the uninitiated think all the evidence goes up in flames, but the boffins can look at a gutted building and tell you it was started in the north east corner of the ground floor with newspapers, and Old Spice aftershave as an accelerant.

Also, never trust a man who knows the technical term accelerant in this context.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    edited August 2023
    What do people think of the LSE? Would you encourage your children to study there? Or is it a corrupt hellhole beyond redemption?

We all remember what happened over Gaddafi and I've been recently following the thoughts of Economics professor Keyu Jin, who seems to be using her position to make a positive case for China, blame its tensions with the US on misunderstandings (only on the US side) and ignore anything inconvenient. Not easy when your father is the head of the AIIB I guess but can a professor really do their job if they can't think and speak freely?

Her recent book The New China Playbook got a rather icy review in the Guardian from Isabel Hilton.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/31/the-new-china-playbook-by-keyu-jin-review-the-bright-side-of-beijing
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Fraudulent sinking (ideally over-insured) has been a thjing for centuries. Samuel Plimsoll MP's campaign covered, in part, ships that were deliberately dangerous and over-insured a centurt and a half ago. There are some amusing book-length memoirs by maritime insurance assessors on their favourite cases.

The main issue is whether the crew know/can get off in time. Bit suspicious when they are neatly lined up for the lifeboat with their suitcases packed ...
    The Mary Celeste ended her days as a result of an attempted insurance fraud sinking.
    Miklosvar said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Barratry?

This is not as easy as it looks. the uninitiated think all the evidence goes up in flames, but the boffins can look at a gutted building and tell you it was started in the north east corner of the ground floor with newspapers, and Old Spice aftershave as an accelerant.

Also, never trust a man who knows the technical term accelerant in this context.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barratry_(admiralty_law)

Not quite the maritime equivalent of Glaswegian urban improvement, however.
    edited August 2023
    "Labour would use barges to temporarily house asylum seekers, says (shadow immigration minister) Stephen Kinnock".

Only temporarily? There must be other terms for permanent accommodation for "asylum seekers". He'll be telling us next he doesn't want to shoot them all, or make them clean the streets.

The Labour party under Starmer deserves to lose the election. Starmer is easily as bad as the Tories-in-all-but-name Blair and Brown, mutatis mutandis. I won't vote for any party that promises to lock refugees up on prison ships. I don't care WTF else they promise.

Edit: I first came across this idea in a British context in 2003 when it was reported that fascist landlord Nicholas van Hoogstraten was planning to run a prison ship housing 1000 "asylum seekers" off the coast of Margate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2993682.stm

Was it ever proposed before then?

PS It's OK to call Hoogstraten a fascist because that's what he calls himself.

What do people think of the LSE? Would you encourage your children to study there? Or is it a corrupt hellhole beyond redemption?

We all remember what happened over Gaddafi and I've been recently following the thoughts of Economics professor Keyu Jin, who seems to be using her position to make a positive case for China, blame its tensions with the US on misunderstandings (only on the US side) and ignore anything inconvenient. Not easy when your father is the head of the AIIB I guess but can a professor really do their job if they can't think and speak freely?

Her recent book The New China Playbook got a rather icy review in the Guardian from Isabel Hilton.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/31/the-new-china-playbook-by-keyu-jin-review-the-bright-side-of-beijing

It's a bit left and something of a production line. A very good place to study though.
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The Mary Celeste ended her days as a result of an attempted insurance fraud sinking.
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

As did many others. It's a whole subgenre of applied forensic engineering (though in many cases it's not crime per se that is the issue, of course, but things like material failure and so on).
    Peck said:

"Labour would use barges to temporarily house asylum seekers, says (shadow immigration minister) Stephen Kinnock".

Only temporarily? There must be other terms for permanent accommodation for "asylum seekers". He'll be telling us next he doesn't want to shoot them all, or make them clean the streets.

The Labour party under Starmer deserves to lose the election. Starmer is easily as bad as the Tories-in-all-but-name Blair and Brown, mutatis mutandis. I won't vote for any party that promises to lock refugees up on prison ships. I don't care WTF else they promise.

You saw him in action throughout covid, it's not like he has been going to great lengths to hide his tory mini-me approach to life.

My brother had a great time there followed by a highly successful career. His friends from there did equally well.

It was famously left wing once, but much less so now he says. Lots of foreign students even 40 years ago.
    edited August 2023
    Peck said:

Edit: I first came across this idea in a British context in 2003 when it was reported that fascist landlord Nicholas van Hoogstraten was planning to run a prison ship housing 1000 "asylum seekers" off the coast of Margate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2993682.stm

Was it ever proposed before then?

PS It's OK to call Hoogstraten a fascist because that's what he calls himself.

The Government used old warships as prison barges during the Napoleonic Wars, for foreign sailors captured on enemy ships (with a very generous interpretation of 'enemy), but those were strictly *involuntary* immigrants. Up to you whether you think HMS Maidstone in Belfast Harbour in the early 1970s counts. Edit: likewise the prison ships of the mid-C19 on the Thames and at Portland and PLymouth IIRC for forced labour on docks etc.
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

There's also the gas explosion method with shops

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/23/shop-owner-jailed-insurance-claim-blast-pascal-blasio-wirral
    edited August 2023

LSE > UCL because they use term papers less, at least for some qualifications in some subjects but you would have to check. Awarding degrees on the basis or largely on the basis of papers written during or shortly after a student has taken a semester-long course is ridiculous educationally.

Chinese money has a presence in Cambridge too and doubtless most other British universities. Lots of Gulf and USA money swishing about too. They're not giving money away for nothing.
  • kle4 said:

Pence is one of a longish line of Republican enablers of Trump - including Liz Cheney and Chris Christie - who have ended up regretting their folly (though they never put it THAT way) BUT who also desire to keep on being active GOP politicos, either out of principle OR for personal political profit.

While Pence and Cheney deserve credit for personally standing up to Putinism-in-action in January 2023 and aftermath, this amounts to mitigation NOT absolution.

Speaking of the three I've cited individually

> Liz Cheney is to my mind the best of the trio, in that she's taken the most forthright stance, despite obvious jeopardy to her further political prospects, including losing her once safer-than-safe seat in Congress, inherited from her daddy. Unfortunately, every time she issues another blast against Trump, it just helps him more.

> Mike Pence has always been a "to be or not to be" kind of politico, for example his infamous flip-flopping when he was Governor of Indiana, on the burning question of transsexual use of whatever rest room they want to use. And note that reason he was picked at Trump's running mate in 2016, was to reassure evangelicals who might find DJT's overt paganism (with apologies to PB's Pagan) discouraging. However, this bloc has drunk deeply of the holy koolaid, and is now convinced that Trump is really 3rd-millennium King David!

> Chris Christie is rather interesting, in that his take on Trump appears to be almost totally centered on CC's personal political calculus. IF it looks like DJT and CC's interests align, then all is well and good with MAGA-mania. IF not, then Trump is a danger to the Republic. Plus the desire on Christie's part to retrieve the political career that HE shredded by, for example, sunning himself at the Jersey Shore in the midst of natural disaster affecting rest of New Jersey. (Very similar to what his fellow fat bastard Ted Cruz did a few years later.) As you may be able to tell, my regard for ex-gov Big Boy is rather limited. Though I applaud his support for Ukraine versus Russia, also think that (like Boris Johnson) his enthusiasm for the cause of freedom is HIGHLY conditioned by personal political machinations.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Foxy said:

My brother had a great time there followed by a highly successful career. His friends from there did equally well.

It was famously left wing once, but much less so now he says. Lots of foreign students even 40 years ago.
    I'm just curious as to what it is like nowadays. Just feels a strange place with dubious links.

I believe @Leon is an alumnus?

I have always thought it looked quite interesting, Oxbridge without the posh wankerdom.
  • carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

The phrase "to jew down" meaning "to attempt to get a lower price" was, at least in the late 1990s, still used somewhat. I heard it on my first visit to New York from an otherwise educated colleague, and had to ask what it meant:

Last time I personally heard someone say "Jew down" was in 1987, and the person who said it ended up having to apologize profusely, after the person it was said to pointed out, that his wife was (and still is) Jewish.

The phrase "Welsh on a bet" has lasted a wee bit longer on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) but only because few Americans who might use it, connect it with Wales or Welsh people, the degree of anti-Cambrian prejudice being practically nil in USA, certainly compared with UK!
    edited August 2023

kle4 said:

I’m wondering if the GOP are starting to acknowledge the likelihood that Trump is going to be in prison by the end of 2024. And given that they realise the sooner they cut him off the better, no matter how enraged the MAGA crowd gets.
    Well, DeSantis did gently criticise Trump the other day by pointing out he hadn't achieved what he'd said he would, which shows some growth, but they still mostly seem committed to the idea that criticising him upsets the base so they cannot do it much, but also somehow need to explain why they are better than the man they otherwise praise all the time, which is tricky.

We know why they need to do it, but it is not a winning strategy either. Christie is most forthright and has a good turn of phrase, but had been on the Trump train before so we know what that's worth.

Pretty much everyone who works for Trump eventually finds a line even they cannot cross or a line they cannot excuse (not fully at any rate). But those still active in the game continue to find it safer to play along and hope this time will be different.

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

Last time I personally heard someone say "Jew down" was in 1987, and the person who said it ended up having to apologize profusely, after the person it was said to pointed out, that his wife was (and still is) Jewish.

The phrase "Welsh on a bet" has lasted a wee bit longer on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) but only because few Americans who might use it, connect it with Wales or Welsh people, the degree of anti-Cambrian prejudice being practically nil in USA, certainly compared with UK!

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

There is also the verb "to Jew", as in: to take someone to the cleaners, financially and deviously

Michael Jackson used it on one of his later albums

"Jew me, sue me", was the lyric

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

That's interesting, as I always thought it was 'Welch', not 'Welsh', A quick Google shows that Welch is an archaic spelling of Welsh.

Incidentally, Yankians should not use 'Scotch tape', given the origins of its name ... ;)
  • kle4 said:

Personally think that the UN-likeihood of Trump going to prison in 2024, is way more likely.
    boulay said:

Good work by Alex Chalk scrapping the nonsense rule requiring those wrongly convicted and imprisoned to pay for their incarceration out of compensation.

Surprised it was something able to be done so quickly (and why it hasn't seemed to provoke the same level of furore until this recent case), but good work nontheless.

kle4 said:

Personally think that the UN-likeihood of Trump going to prison in 2024, is way more likely.
    Possibility of a few trials in 2024, take account that he is not guaranteed to be convicted, add in possibility he wins the election in which case it all becomes irrelevant, and if he doesn't win add in all the inevitable appeals, and in prison by the end of next year looks tough even assuming the best case he is both convicted and loses.
    edited August 2023
    kle4 said:

boulay said:

Good work by Alex Chalk scrapping the nonsense rule requiring those wrongly convicted and imprisoned to pay for their incarceration out of compensation.

Surprised it was something able to be done so quickly (and why it hasn't seemed to provoke the same level of furore until this recent case), but good work nontheless.
    Chalk is really rather good. Alas, he'll almost certainly lose his seat in the next GE. I guess the cat's out of the bag now and he's long been spotted, but I thought he could go places (politically).
  • Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

There is also the verb "to Jew", as in: to take someone to the cleaners, financially and deviously

More anti-Semitic skunk-shit. In similar vein as Jesse Jackson's infamous "Jew York".

Not sure of the point you're striving to make?

To paraphrase a notable Jewish American writer, crap is crap is crap is crap.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,251
    Granted you’re closer to this than I am, but I think his extraordinary ability to evade his comeuppance to date has engendered the pessimistic view that he always will, despite the fact that he’s in serious legal jeopardy now.
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

boulay said:

Chalk is really rather good. Alas, he'll almost certainly lose his seat in the next GE. `I guess the cat's out of the bag now and he's long been spotted, but I thought he good go places (politically).
    He is. If by some miracle he holds Cheltenham then I would think he would be a great future Tory leader, especially if the Tories have a lurch right after an election loss then move back to the centre as with IDS towards Cameron.

Unfortunately moving him to a safe seat would be an admission of defeat in Cheltenham which wouldn’t look good so sadly we are likely to lose someone who is actually good at what they do and seems to be empathetic and capable and a good public performer.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    I am not sure if I have ever heard the expression "jew down" in my entire life and I don't think my life is any the richer for having read it today. Is it an American thing?
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

You know who else couldn't recognise anti-semitism when he saw it?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited August 2023
    Remember all those clever people who were saying both cinemas and old-fashioned taxis were finished? Well, the cinemas are almost full up every time you want to see a film, and there was a huge queue of people waiting for a traditional London black taxi cab outside Euston station a few weeks ago when I was there. So they got it wrong on both counts. Don't listen to their future predictions.
    Integrity.

Moments after reiterating that he doesn't think Trump should be president because he rejected the constitution, Pence doesn't rule out supporting him again in 2024
    https://nitter.net/atrupar/status/1688181506965921792#m
    DavidL said:

I am not sure if I have ever heard the expression "jew down" in my entire life and I don't think my life is any the richer for having read it today. Is it an American thing?

First recorded by an American - in the UK, so who knows?

The verb, with or without 'down', is not to be used today, I would say.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3o0DDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA93&dq="jew+down"&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJsOW-usiAAxUOhu4BHQvLCgIQ6AF6BAgJEAI#v=onepage&q="jew down"&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Nk_RFL9LYg0C&pg=PA81&dq="jew+down"&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJsOW-usiAAxUOhu4BHQvLCgIQ6AF6BAgEEAI#v=onepage&q="jew down"&f=false

Foxy said:

I'm just curious as to what it is like nowadays. Just feels a strange place with dubious links.
    Socially, politically or academically?

It has always had a strong international student body
    edited August 2023

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

More anti-Semitic skunk-shit. In similar vein as Jesse Jackson's infamous "Jew York".

Not sure of the point you're striving to make?

To paraphrase a notable Jewish American writer, crap is crap is crap is crap.
    I'm not "striving" to make any point, you pointless, lonely old fart, I am merely passing the time of day with pleasant discourse on language. You're welcome
    kle4 said:

Integrity.

Moments after reiterating that he doesn't think Trump should be president because he rejected the constitution, Pence doesn't rule out supporting him again in 2024
    https://nitter.net/atrupar/status/1688181506965921792#m

It is a slightly different thing opposing a candidate to accepting the party's choice.
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

boulay said:

Chalk is really rather good. Alas, he'll almost certainly lose his seat in the next GE. `I guess the cat's out of the bag now and he's long been spotted, but I thought he good go places (politically).
    He is. If by some miracle he holds Cheltenham then I would think he would be a great future Tory leader, especially if the Tories have a lurch right after an election loss then move back to the centre as with IDS towards Cameron.

Unfortunately moving him to a safe seat would be an admission of defeat in Cheltenham which wouldn’t look good so sadly we are likely to lose someone who is actually good at what they do and seems to be empathetic and capable and a good public performer.
    It's far from clear he has any thoughts as to great office. Obviously he's a politician, so you suspect he will, but not entirely a given.

Chelteham won't get a better MP whatever their vote.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Leon said:

... pleasant discourse on language ...

God help us.
    Andy_JS said:

Remember all those clever people who were saying both cinemas and old-fashioned taxis were finished? Well, the cinemas are almost full up every time you want to see a film, and there was a huge queue of people waiting for a traditional London black taxi cab outside Euston station a few weeks ago when I was there. So they got it wrong on both counts. Don't listen to their future predictions.

In Eastern Europe, Uber Bolt and Lyft have been seamlessly integrated with local cab services - even in small towns - making it super easy to get around, for passengers, and super easy to find customers, for drivers

They are the future: black cabs are slowly reconciling with them
    Miklosvar said:

I have always thought it looked quite interesting, Oxbridge without the posh wankerdom.
    We went there for the Open day before my son started University. I was immensely impressed. Fantastic campus in a great location and the quality of the speakers was outstanding. He was looking at an economics type degree at the time (before philosophy got its claws in him) and the main lecture was by a French woman who very much had the Christine Lagarde, sexy older French vibe going on. Within minutes of starting she had the whole audience involved, with hands up, shouting out, it was a remarkable performance.

We then had a talk on maths by a mathematician from Paisley who was superb. "Do what interests you, you have the rest of your life to be bored" was one of his comments. It was genuinely inspirational.

My son got into Oxford but LSE was his second choice and I would have had absolutely no problem with that. Of the Open days we went to they were the best.

kle4 said:

Pence is one of a longish line of Republican enablers of Trump - including Liz Cheney and Chris Christie - who have ended up regretting their folly (though they never put it THAT way) BUT who also desire to keep on being active GOP politicos, either out of principle OR for personal political profit.

While Pence and Cheney deserve credit for personally standing up to Putinism-in-action in January 2023 and aftermath, this amounts to mitigation NOT absolution.

Speaking of the three I've cited individually

> Liz Cheney is to my mind the best of the trio, in that she's taken the most forthright stance, despite obvious jeopardy to her further political prospects, including losing her once safer-than-safe seat in Congress, inherited from her daddy. Unfortunately, every time she issues another blast against Trump, it just helps him more.

> Mike Pence has always been a "to be or not to be" kind of politico, for example his infamous flip-flopping when he was Governor of Indiana, on the burning question of transsexual use of whatever rest room they want to use. And note that reason he was picked at Trump's running mate in 2016, was to reassure evangelicals who might find DJT's overt paganism (with apologies to PB's Pagan) discouraging. However, this bloc has drunk deeply of the holy koolaid, and is now convinced that Trump is really 3rd-millennium King David!

> Chris Christie is rather interesting, in that his take on Trump appears to be almost totally centered on CC's personal political calculus. IF it looks like DJT and CC's interests align, then all is well and good with MAGA-mania. IF not, then Trump is a danger to the Republic. Plus the desire on Christie's part to retrieve the political career that HE shredded by, for example, sunning himself at the Jersey Shore in the midst of natural disaster affecting rest of New Jersey. (Very similar to what his fellow fat bastard Ted Cruz did a few years later.) As you may be able to tell, my regard for ex-gov Big Boy is rather limited. Though I applaud his support for Ukraine versus Russia, also think that (like Boris Johnson) his enthusiasm for the cause of freedom is HIGHLY conditioned by personal political machinations.
    I’ve something of a soft spot for Christie.
    He’s venal, and not entirely competent, but compared to the rest of the current GOP shitshow, he’s a prince.
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

First recorded by an American - in the UK, so who knows?

The verb, with or without 'down', is not to be used today, I would say.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3o0DDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA93&dq="jew+down"&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJsOW-usiAAxUOhu4BHQvLCgIQ6AF6BAgJEAI#v=onepage&q="jew down"&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Nk_RFL9LYg0C&pg=PA81&dq="jew+down"&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJsOW-usiAAxUOhu4BHQvLCgIQ6AF6BAgEEAI#v=onepage&q="jew down"&f=false
    Well, yes. Or indeed ever.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No

You know who else couldn't recognise anti-semitism when he saw it?
    Jackson's full lyrics in that contentious song (They Don't Care About Us) are actually worse than I recalled. The whole couplet goes:

Jew me, sue me, everybody do me/
    Kick me, kike me, don't you black or white me

When he was brought to task Jackson defended himself thus:

"It's not anti-Semitic because I'm not a racist person ... I could never be a racist. I love all races."

Hmmm. Not very impressive. However by then he was 70% mad and en route to 100% madness, so maybe that is the better excuse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Don't_Care_About_Us
    Miklosvar said:

No no no

I am a proud graduate of the Godless College of Gower Street: UCL

As I have menshed on here, we used to have barfights with our LSE rivals in their basement bar at Carr Saunders Hall, next to our own UCL Hall of Rez at Ramsay House. All in Fitzrovia. It was a privleged place to live and study. I loved my time at UCL
This discussion has been closed.