Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Not long now before we are all focussed on Iowa – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,269

TOPPING said:

Given his comments on Ukraine Trump needs to lose every primary and caucus.

His comments seem to have been misreported. He just said he was opposed to sending US reservists to Europe.
    Wait a minute, have we moved on already from a very stable genius move to force European countries to get more directly involved?
    I just said that would be the consequence of the US pulling back, not that it was an elaborate plan. European countries, including the UK, shouldn’t see themselves as passive objects of US policy.
    That ship has sailed. The EU/UK has always, militarily, culturally, politically been passive objects of US policy.

It wasn't thus in 1775 but really sort of ever since then...
    I don't think the USA made its presence felt in international politics until the 1870s.
    Appears you never heard of the Monroe Doctrine?

Which was promulgated with considerable input from UK Foreign Secretary George Canning, in his efforts to stymie proposed Holy Alliance intervention in South America on behalf of Spain versus its rebellious colonies.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Andy_JS said:

Didn't realise Dianne Feinstein is 90 years old.

Nor did I.

She has only been on my radar as the the lead campaigner against 3d-printed firearms - but I see she has a long history of working on gun control.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,745
    Leon said:

Jesus Christ I’m trying to follow this from Chernovtsi bus station.

England!

Down to the wire.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

TOPPING said:

His comments seem to have been misreported. He just said he was opposed to sending US reservists to Europe.
    Wait a minute, have we moved on already from a very stable genius move to force European countries to get more directly involved?
    I just said that would be the consequence of the US pulling back, not that it was an elaborate plan. European countries, including the UK, shouldn’t see themselves as passive objects of US policy.
    That ship has sailed. The EU/UK has always, militarily, culturally, politically been passive objects of US policy.

It wasn't thus in 1775 but really sort of ever since then...
    I don't think the USA made its presence felt in international politics until the 1870s.
    Appears you never heard of the Monroe Doctrine?

Which was promulgated with considerable input from UK Foreign Secretary George Canning, in his efforts to stymie proposed Holy Alliance intervention in South America on behalf of Spain versus its rebellious colonies.
    Or indeed the US Navy's effective foundation as a serious navy, in the 1790s, to sort out the Barbary corsairs who had been taking liberties with US merchant ships, because the US couldn't rely on the more local grand powers to do it.
  • Question - With only 3 wickets to go now, if the weather and light permits on Day 5 can you still get the extra half an hour if the Umpire's think there can be a result?

Or does that only apply to Days 1 - 4?

Although wickets and runs remaining mean it probably won't come to that anyway, it'll be one or the other probably. But if its say 30 runs and 1 wicket remaining at the scheduled close, will/can the Umpire's grant the extra half an hour?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited July 2023
    FF43 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

It’s just fucking insane, isn’t it?

That people like you and Scott are still ranting about Brexit? Yes, it absolutely is. Move on already.
    That the Scouts are made de facto to remain in the UK? I suppose it's very much in accord with the Brexit philosophy.
    I'm at a loss as to what the cost is.

Southampton Scouts have just taken a whole minivan fall of camping stuff to Switzerland without a problem (it's a national event that Southampton were invited to, various others including Twin A tagged along)...
    I guess Southampton scouts were running the risk of having their equipment impounded, or at least having to pay duty on the stuff on the French, Swiss and UK borders.
    Friend of mine (UK subject) took his yacht across the Atlantic - got caught by covid. The eventual evolution of Brexit stuff meant that he was faced with paying VAT on bringing his own yacht back home. Don't know the details of it, but he sure had to fly home and park his yacht in the Windies till it could be sorted out.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313

Question - With only 3 wickets to go now, if the weather and light permits on Day 5 can you still get the extra half an hour if the Umpire's think there can be a result?

Although wickets and runs remaining mean it probably won't come to that anyway, it'll be one or the other probably. But if its say 30 runs and 1 wicket remaining at the scheduled close, will/can the Umpire's grant the extra half an hour?

It’s more likely that the minimum 34 overs left in the day, runs up against the light at 20:30 or thereabouts.

So Donald Trump is NOT pimping for Putin? Just like RFKjr is NOT anti-vax!

AP (via Seattle Times) - RFK Jr. says he’s not anti-vaccine. His record shows the opposite. It’s one of many inconsistencies

. . . The contradictions between what Kennedy says and his track record were nowhere more apparent than when he testified before a congressional committee this month at the invitation of Republican members.

Anti-vaccine activists, some who work for Kennedy’s nonprofit group Children’s Health Defense, sat in the rows behind him, watching as he insisted “I have never been anti-vaxx. I have never told the public to avoid vaccination.” . . .

Maybe you should worry more about living in a gerontocray

Mitch Mcconnell should be in a home
    What they are doing to Diane Feinstein borders on cruelty
    Biden should be spending more time with his grandchildren
    Trump should be happily ignored

About the only positive has been Pelosi put out to grass.
    Maybe I should be more worried about motives of those pimping for Putin?
    You're a total hypocrite on this question. You constantly cast doubt on the integrity of Western elections and try to delegitimise democratic views.
    Ha! Ha! Ha!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444

Question - With only 3 wickets to go now, if the weather and light permits on Day 5 can you still get the extra half an hour if the Umpire's think there can be a result?

No.

The last hour rules come into play for the last hour, where the teams play for a final hour, or a minimum of 15 overs. No extra time after that.
  • Sandpit said:

It’s more likely that the minimum 34 overs left in the day, runs up against the light at 20:30 or thereabouts.
    I'm confused why play would still be going at 20:30 anyway?

Its been timed out before then previously even when the weather has interfered with play.
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 424
    FF43 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

It’s just fucking insane, isn’t it?

That people like you and Scott are still ranting about Brexit? Yes, it absolutely is. Move on already.
    That the Scouts are made de facto to remain in the UK? I suppose it's very much in accord with the Brexit philosophy.
    I'm at a loss as to what the cost is.

Southampton Scouts have just taken a whole minivan fall of camping stuff to Switzerland without a problem (it's a national event that Southampton were invited to, various others including Twin A tagged along)...
    I guess Southampton scouts were running the risk of having their equipment impounded, or at least having to pay duty on the stuff on the French, Swiss and UK borders.
    Just to clarify, the original Tweet(X) that triggered @BartholomewRoberts - apparently the scoutmaster is telling fibs - was also referring to a trip through France to Switzerland…

Sandpit said:

Its been timed out before then previously even when the weather has interfered with play.
    Final day is different. Always play on to get the overs in.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Day 1 to 4 only - it’s borrowing time from the next day, where there isn’t one on the 5th.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Cummings goes, c Stokes by Moen Ali.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,068

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.
    To be fair, even I laughed at that one!

At least @Dura_Ace would offer me a bath, even if not a cucumber.
    Picture of a cucumber and the Queen wasn't it? :innocent:

Or was there a missing Oxford comma? :open_mouth:
    Not required.

I always carry a picture of the Queen with me.
    Paging @Anabobazina - we've got another cash user! :wink:
    Cash only at the Fairlop Waters fun fair!

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.
    Seen at Fairlop Waters fun fair a few days ago:

We keep 100% of cash probably means they don’t give any to HMRC.
    The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

Another week and the Labour lead remains over 20 points.

What is Sunak's strategy?

At this point in the GE19 cycle the intelligent people of which I was not one, were calling a landslide for Johnson and there was no way back for Corbyn. Yet these same people seem reluctant to say the same now, why is this? What am I missing.

Hmm. I assume you haven't missed the fact that Johnson and Corbyn are no longer around.

I assume the reason people aren't predicting a Tory landslide is that the Tories are so far behind in the polls.

As for Sunak's strategy, I think if a poll showed an extraterrestrial takeover would be popular, Sunak would be pledging billions to the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
    Here we go!
  • Cummins and goins.

2 wickets remaining, 90 runs required.
  • Sandpit said:

Thanks, that explains it. Should be like that days 1 - 4 too.

Used to be more flexible on playing to get overs in from memory.
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12356281/Florence-Pughs-father-blasts-LTN-dictators-forced-close-Spanish-caf-low-traffic-neighbourhood-scheme-despite-Oppenheimer-star-daughter-bailing-out.html

Remember we were discussing that Mr Pugh of Oxford who doesn't like LTNs despite - apparently - asking for one outside his cafe to increase business? He seems to be complaining that one of his businesses has closed because of LTNs (and covid). Looks like the very same cafe.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7490701,-1.2415262,3a,51.3y,152.56h,92.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skGxcN5l91iLN1UZUmb4w8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

He also seems the the Director of a business called ... RISHI DISHI LIMITED !!

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06330141

Amongst the Trumptonian firemen is he Pugh, Pugh or Grub?

https://twitter.com/DSFireUpdates/status/1628394515563270146?lang=en-GB
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Leon said:

Jesus Christ I’m trying to follow this from Chernovtsi bus station....

Bus station? Bus station??? You???? (glances upwards towards God) Oh, thank you Lord, that I should see this day.

What are the hell are you doing in a bus station? Buying drugs?

• algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.

Not required.

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.

The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

Why the hell should it ever be compulsory to take cash?

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

Try and stop it from getting to 30 points? :wink:

I see it appears to be another cricket day on PB :scream:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ I’m trying to follow this from Chernovtsi bus station....

Bus station? Bus station??? You???? (glances upwards towards God) Oh, thank you Lord, that I should see this day.

What are the hell are you doing in a bus station? Buying drugs?

NOT everyone who goes to a bus station is engaged in illicit activity. A few are there to catch a bus.

By same token (!) NOT everybody who tenders, accepts and/or prefers cash, in an outlaw . . . not yet . . .
    Leon said:

England!

TMS just got a text from the Eiger north face.

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

I'm a middle ground believer. The more methods there are to pay for things, the better IMO.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

There is a legitimate problem with fees for small card payments - like, a few pounds. Ironically, the précis of the problem is that this is the only category where cash is potentially cheaper (though you sometimes have to ignore the cost of going to and from your bank). Sweden has solved this and every bake sale or social club can affordably forego cash; so could the UK eventually.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

England!

Probably the train window...
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited July 2023
    EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

There is a legitimate problem with fees for small card payments - like, a few pounds. Ironically, the précis of the problem is that this is the only category where cash is potentially cheaper (though you sometimes have to ignore the cost of going to and from your bank). Sweden has solved this and every bake sale or social club can affordably forego cash; so could the UK eventually.
    There was decades ago, yes.

Those problems were eliminated over a decade ago now, which is why you can now pay for a pint contactless.

Any business still pretending there's a problem with small card payments is either completely backwards, or more likely playing on an old myth in order to evade taxes.
    85 to win.

Last three got 110 in the first innings....
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

England!

About the cricket?
    Here we go!

You’ll be pleased to know that today is the last day of The Ashes. In fact, probably the last hour.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Leon using a peasant wagon.

Seen it all now.

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

England!

About the cricket?
    Indeed.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

I'm a middle ground believer. The more methods there are to pay for things, the better IMO.
    Question is, who should pay for the extra expense of maintaining the cash network, when fewer and fewer people make profitable and legitimate use of it so private sector demand is collapsing. I think imposing the cost solely on technologically efficient businesses and their customers is wrong morally and economically. Maybe the taxpayer should.
    Sandpit said:

Here we go!

You’ll be pleased to know that today is the last day of The Ashes. In fact, probably the last hour.
    Is that what has been going on? I thought the cricket was taking a long time to play, but I know it is a slow game so I thought maybe it was just slower than usual for some reason like weather.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016

Seems tonight RedfieldWilton lead is 15% with both Sunak and Starmer dropping in favourability

Yougov has Sunak decision to grant more North Sea licences approval by 42% to 27%, so can we expect policy reversal number 35 from Starmer as his policy is no more licenses

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1686044051957755904?t=X-C3NpM8J_0gGboIi_nYfA&s=19

Sandpit said:

Thanks, that explains it. Should be like that days 1 - 4 too.

Used to be more flexible on playing to get overs in from memory.
    Bearing in mind the drinks breaks, DRS, concussion checks, etc, they should perhaps give up on the ideal of 15 overs per hour and schedule seven and a half hours play in a day - 150 minute sessions. Then they might get 90 overs play completed *and* finish play at the scheduled close of play.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,450

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

There was decades ago, yes.

Those problems were eliminated over a decade ago now, which is why you can now pay for a pint contactless.
    that's more due to the rise in the price of a pint over the last couple of years.

seriously though, it can depend on the who the merchant uses to process the payments. there are still some where processing 50 £1 payments is more expensive than 10 £5 payments. there are others where there is no difference.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
    This is absolutely spot on.

If governments don't actively protect cash - by forcing people to take it - then it will die out. And it will die out because the vast majority of merchants benefit from not having cash handling charges. (And because most of the young people of today are entirely contactless.)

The question, therefore, is to what extent should the government force merchants to do something they don't want to do in order to protect those who cannot (or do not want to) go contactless?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604
    Everyone excited about The Hundred ?
    What a stage for Broad's last spell.

Almost certain to end in anticlimax...
    Chris said:

At this point in the GE19 cycle the intelligent people of which I was not one, were calling a landslide for Johnson and there was no way back for Corbyn. Yet these same people seem reluctant to say the same now, why is this? What am I missing.

Hmm. I assume you haven't missed the fact that Johnson and Corbyn are no longer around.

I assume the reason people aren't predicting a Tory landslide is that the Tories are so far behind in the polls.

As for Sunak's strategy, I think if a poll showed an extraterrestrial takeover would be popular, Sunak would be pledging billions to the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
    It would probably produce faster results than a search for Tory Intelligence......
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Seen it all now.

I’m in a war zone

Anyway the bus didn’t show and I’ve abandoned public transport and gone for a Bolt to drive me 50
    miles

A score draw in the ongoing debate cars v non cars

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

It is certainly true, that here in Seattle, number of small businesses - for example, my preferred coffee shop and thrift store - have gone cashless due to criminals breaking into premises looking for cash to steal.

Hasn't made me advocate (yet) for cash-free utopia. But certainly understand why these (for profit and non-profit) businesses decided to shun greenbacks in favor of e-bucks.

Sandpit said:

Here we go!

Is that what has been going on? I thought the cricket was taking a long time to play, but I know it is a slow game so I thought maybe it was just slower than usual for some reason like weather.
    They’ve been playing five matches of five days each, except when it’s rained!

Normal service will be resumed shortly ;)
  • rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

If governments don't actively protect cash - by forcing people to take it - then it will die out. And it will die out because the vast majority of merchants benefit from not having cash handling charges. (And because most of the young people of today are entirely contactless.)

The question, therefore, is to what extent should the government force merchants to do something they don't want to do in order to protect those who cannot (or do not want to) go contactless?
    If the government wants to compel merchants to take cash, then the taxpayer should pay for cash handling charges, cash collection services, security, insurance etc too.

The taxpayer is not going to do that. So compulsion is not remotely reasonable.
    Leon said:

Seen it all now.

I’m in a war zone

Anyway the bus didn’t show and I’ve abandoned public transport and gone for a Bolt to drive me 50
    miles

A score draw in the ongoing debate cars v non cars
    Not hitched a lift in the Roller SUV ?
    edited July 2023
    EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

There are loads of providers with pricing models that don't seem to penalise small transactions - Square payments charge 1.75% + VAT with no minimum transaction fee, for example.

A lot of shops and businesses could do with shopping around. This has changed a lot over the last decade or so.

Sandpit said:

Realpolitik will prevail, as it always does. All that will actually change is the language used.

Under Trump, there will be announcements of the acceleration of loads of new military systems for the wonderful brave men and women who serve, and creating or protecting tens of thousands of jobs in the MIC who fund the Republican Party. There might be a footnote somewhere about the systems they replace being sold to the UK (or other NATO allies) for $1.

My criticism of Biden through this conflict, has been his constant championing of large dollar numbers on all the military aid packages to Ukraine. Which allows his political opponents to say that the money is better spent elsewhere, forgetting that the money was actually spent decades ago. No other country does this.
    Realpolitik like those who said when Russia invaded Crimea that there's nothing to be done about it?

Realpolitik like those who said at the start of last year's new invasion "there's no point sending arms to Ukraine, Kiev will fall within days anyway"?

Or Realpolitik like those who said "Ukrainian lives will be lost in this war, they should settle with Russia"?

Or Realpolitik like those who said "its not possible for Ukraine to liberate land like Kharkiv or Kherson from Russia" so don't send arms to Ukraine?

Or Realpolitik like those who say "Russia has nukes, we should anger them".

Or Realpolitik like those who still say "its not possible for Ukraine to liberate Crimea or other lands back to its own borders, so settle with Russia in a stalemate"?

Excuse me, but I have no faith in Realpolitik, I want to see Ukraine supported despite the claims of those engaging in Realpolitik, not because of it. I thought you did too?
    When Biden says that he can't give Ukraine more because it would split the EU and NATO, how do you feel? His policy is to do only as much as it takes to avoid countries like Poland getting directly involved while placating Germany and France.
    Ummm: he also needs to keep on board broad bipartisan support for the Ukraine war in the US. That also limits what he can do.

There is already a lot of Republican unease at support for Ukraine (see Senator Mike Lee's tweets). Keeping moderate Republicans on board is absolutely crucial.

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

There are loads of providers with pricing models that don't seem to penalise small transactions - Square payments charge 1.75% + VAT with no minimum transaction fee, for example.

A lot of shops and businesses could do with shopping around. This has changed a lot over the last decade or so.
    Spot on: and Square will also finance the equipment for you.
    Aaaargh I’m about to go into the subcarpathian wilderness and my signal will die.

I won’t know the result until I reach the next big town. Over an hour

Good luck England
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    Leon said:

Aaaargh I’m about to go into the subcarpathian wilderness and my signal will die.

I won’t know the result until I reach the next big town. Over an hour

Good luck England

Just remember Leon, its the hope that kills you.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Realpolitik will prevail, as it always does. All that will actually change is the language used.

Under Trump, there will be announcements of the acceleration of loads of new military systems for the wonderful brave men and women who serve, and creating or protecting tens of thousands of jobs in the MIC who fund the Republican Party. There might be a footnote somewhere about the systems they replace being sold to the UK (or other NATO allies) for $1.

My criticism of Biden through this conflict, has been his constant championing of large dollar numbers on all the military aid packages to Ukraine. Which allows his political opponents to say that the money is better spent elsewhere, forgetting that the money was actually spent decades ago. No other country does this.
    Realpolitik like those who said when Russia invaded Crimea that there's nothing to be done about it?

Realpolitik like those who said at the start of last year's new invasion "there's no point sending arms to Ukraine, Kiev will fall within days anyway"?

Or Realpolitik like those who said "Ukrainian lives will be lost in this war, they should settle with Russia"?

Or Realpolitik like those who said "its not possible for Ukraine to liberate land like Kharkiv or Kherson from Russia" so don't send arms to Ukraine?

Or Realpolitik like those who still say "its not possible for Ukraine to liberate Crimea or other lands back to its own borders, so settle with Russia in a stalemate"?

Excuse me, but I have no faith in Realpolitik, I want to see Ukraine supported despite the claims of those engaging in Realpolitik, not because of it. I thought you did too?
    When Biden says that he can't give Ukraine more because it would split the EU and NATO, how do you feel? His policy is to do only as much as it takes to avoid countries like Poland getting directly involved while placating Germany and France.
    Ummm: he also needs to keep on board broad bipartisan support for the Ukraine war in the US. That also limits what he can do.

There is already a lot of Republican unease at support for Ukraine (see Senator Mike Lee's tweets). Keeping moderate Republicans on board is absolutely crucial.
    The Republicans who are opposing the war don't come across as being very convincing.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    edited July 2023

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Well that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. As someone who lived through the 60s and 70s bank robberies and wages snatches with sawn off shotguns were a thing. Not now. All internet fraud now.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    If England win this then we've morally won the whole series, probably the greatest victory over Australia of all time, and have a mandate to restart Transportation.

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

If the government wants to compel merchants to take cash, then the taxpayer should pay for cash handling charges, cash collection services, security, insurance etc too.

Phew, it's a difficult one.

What of the unbanked, like Nigel Farage? What of kids? What of the aged?

Perhaps there's a compromise here. During the transition period - i.e. the next five years - all firms with more than 40 employees are required to have at least one till able to accept cash payments for sums under £100?

That means you don't totally fuck over the old and the young and the unbanked. But you don't unduly burden small businesses.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

Chris said:

It would probably produce faster results than a search for Tory Intelligence......
    Actually, today's performance has set the seal on it for me.

I despise all politicians, and I haven't voted in a parliamentary election for any party likely to save its deposit since 2010.

But for me, the Tories have surpassed the last measure of despicableness today, and now I would vote for the candidate best placed to oust a Tory candidate, regardless of how likely they were to succeed.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516

If England win this then we've morally won the whole series, probably the greatest victory over Australia of all time, and have a mandate to restart Transportation.

At least.
    You know, Australia is starting to hit some runs here.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Are we going to mess it up AAAAGH!
  • kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Well that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. As someone who lived through the 60s and 70s bank robberies and wages snatches with sawn off shotguns were a thing. Not now. All internet fraud now.
    Not now? You're kidding yourself.

Armed robberies happen routinely across Merseyside - and presumably elsewhere - all the time. That they don't get attention is sad, but it happens and only makes the news if someone actually dies and even then it doesn't typically stay in the news for long.

An average of 200 robberies a day happened last year, 365 days a year. Actual robberies with the threat of force involved, not simple theft.

And people here wonder why businesses don't want the burden of handling cash.

rcs1000 said:

AP (via Seattle Times) - RFK Jr. says he’s not anti-vaccine. His record shows the opposite. It’s one of many inconsistencies

. . . The contradictions between what Kennedy says and his track record were nowhere more apparent than when he testified before a congressional committee this month at the invitation of Republican members.

Anti-vaccine activists, some who work for Kennedy’s nonprofit group Children’s Health Defense, sat in the rows behind him, watching as he insisted “I have never been anti-vaxx. I have never told the public to avoid vaccination.” . . .

They (as in the Democrats) are trying to get Dianne Feinstein to step down, as she is unable to perform her duties.

What would you suggest they do instead?
    Do it faster

This is hardly a recent event.
    Your original comment was "What they are doing to Diane Feinstein borders on cruelty".

What RCS was simply pointing out is that she's the one who has decided not to step down, whereas her party wants her to do so.

I don't understand what you mean by "do it faster". She could resign with immediate effect now (by which I don't mean the Nadine Dorries version of "immediate effect"). Could you explain as your point makes little sense?
    The Dems are screwed on this as there is no way out until 2024 ( when she has reportedly said she will not run ) unless they can agree she is incapable of performing her functions and is removed on a vote.

It simply highlights the problems of going with a 85 year old candidate, 5 years ago.

Wouldn't Feinstein going leave them running it on the casting vote?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Tow the small boats to Botany Bay. 😀
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Are you sure about that? They pay for their dope and gear and other substances by card?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited July 2023
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Perhaps there's a compromise here. During the transition period - i.e. the next five years - all firms with more than 40 employees are required to have at least one till able to accept cash payments for sums under £100?

That means you don't totally fuck over the old and the young and the unbanked. But you don't unduly burden small businesses.
    Change the law so that people can't be unbanked, any more than they can have their water supply cut off.

Simples.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Indeed. POTUS is NOT a PM, that is NOT the leader of legislative majority but separate from Congress.

Where both Senate AND House have major say in foreign & defense policy, via appointments (Senate), budget and appropriations.

Plus POTUS also needs support from & by US military, which is NOT a given despite being Commander-in-Chief. (Just ask #45.)

This IN ADDITION to considering varying (to put it mildly) perspectives of NATO allies and other nations.
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

They (as in the Democrats) are trying to get Dianne Feinstein to step down, as she is unable to perform her duties.

What would you suggest they do instead?
    Do it faster

This is hardly a recent event.
    Your original comment was "What they are doing to Diane Feinstein borders on cruelty".

What RCS was simply pointing out is that she's the one who has decided not to step down, whereas her party wants her to do so.

I don't understand what you mean by "do it faster". She could resign with immediate effect now (by which I don't mean the Nadine Dorries version of "immediate effect"). Could you explain as your point makes little sense?
    The Dems are screwed on this as there is no way out until 2024 ( when she has reportedly said she will not run ) unless they can agree she is incapable of performing her functions and is removed on a vote.

It simply highlights the problems of going with a 85 year old candidate, 5 years ago.

Wouldn't Feinstein going leave them running it on the casting vote?
    Yes. BUT only until Governor of California made appointment to fill vacancy.

https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate

In 37 states [including CA], the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly scheduled statewide general election. The person elected in that election serves for the remainder of the unexpired term. If the term was set to expire at that general election, the person elected serves a full six-year term. Nine states require the appointee to be of the same party as the vacating senator. Six states have different requirements if the vacancy occurs within a specified number of days, and Utah requires its governor to make an appointment based on a list of three recommended prospects from the party.

In contrast . . .13 states require that a special election be held to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy.
    Chris said:

Chris said:

I despise all politicians, and I haven't voted in a parliamentary election for any party likely to save its deposit since 2010.

But for me, the Tories have surpassed the last measure of despicableness today, and now I would vote for the candidate best placed to oust a Tory candidate, regardless of how likely they were to succeed.
    I reached the same point about 5 years ago. None of the current parties are enthusing me and I may skip voting again (second time ever, if it happens)

If I do vote, I will not be voting "Conservative". How any one can vote for this lot and still be able to look in the mirror is beyond me.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Change the law so that people can't be unbanked, any more than they can have their water supply cut off.

Simples.
    My guess is that when it comes to tipping you are Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172
    rcs1000 said:

You know, Australia is starting to hit some runs here.

Sorry, knowing you are an Englishman, having gone over to the USA and now phrasing it like this.

This are like running fingernails down a blackboard to me.
    From wickets falling every over to looking simple again.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Chris said:

Chris said:

I reached the same point about 5 years ago. None of the current parties are enthusing me and I may skip voting again (second time ever, if it happens)

If I do vote, I will not be voting "Conservative". How any one can vote for this lot and still be able to look in the mirror is beyond me.
    Because the people that will vote Conservative, when looking in the mirror, will see the only person they care about.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517

In 2017 when the election was called most were predicting a landslide for the Tories under TMay.

darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

The Republicans who are opposing the war don't come across as being very convincing.
    Pretty convincing IF one adheres, to some significant degree, to that hearty American perennial - isolationism.
    Broad yessssss
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.
    I have to admit that film is on my Bucket List, I've never seen it. Before my time and I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Card machines handle tipping for you nowadays though. Most restaurant card machines will give you a choice between the option of no tip, a couple of recommended percentage to select, or manually enter your own amount.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Broad!
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    Murphy gone.
    It was just getting interesting there.

From wickets falling every over to looking simple again.

You can thank me later, Stuart.
    Reportedly a US aircraft escorted three civilian ships past the Russian Black Sea blockade yesterday. Anyone else heard about that?
    Broad!!!
    Yes!!!!!!
    Can we close it out?
  • It had to be in the script that Broad would get some. :)
    Stuart Broad, what a player. We’ll miss him when he’s gone.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    TENSE.
    Sandpit said:

Stuart Broad, what a player. We’ll miss him when he’s gone.

Indeed and later today

Sir Stuart Christopher John Broad tomorrow
  • Its funny multitasking and streaming the Test abroad. See people on here write thing like "Broad!" then pay absolute attention and two deliveries later see the wicket ...
    Dropped

TENSE.

PRESSURE

No other game can be so gripping after five days. It’s the duration that helps build the tension.

Five days? This nonsense has been running for weeks!
    50 needed.
    edited July 2023

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.
    I have to admit that film is on my Bucket List, I've never seen it. Before my time and I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Card machines handle tipping for you nowadays though. Most restaurant card machines will give you a choice between the option of no tip, a couple of recommended percentage to select, or manually enter your own amount.
    The problem with card machines and tipping is the money goes to the restaurant and IF it is then passed on to the waitress it pays tax and NI. And it is shameful how many restaurants don't pass it on at all or only pass on a small percentage.

If I tip the waitresses I want that money to go in their pocket not the owners and the Government's. Hence why I always tip in cash.

No other game can be so gripping after five days. It’s the duration that helps build the tension.

Five days? This nonsense has been running for weeks!
    Schedule can be found here.

Next proper cricket match not until November 28th.
    Ffs. I occasionally get signal and I can check the score. But at the same time my cab driver is doing 90moh on bumpy Ukrainian A roads in the twilight

I have a feeling be lost his whole family in Mariupol and doesn’t care any more

TENSE
This discussion has been closed.