Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Not long now before we are all focussed on Iowa – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Should be ready for trial by about mid 2025?

Fulton County DA Fani Willis says she will announce charging decisions by September 1 in her investigation into Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the election results in GA
    https://nitter.net/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1686002369597759489#m

Crazy thing is I'd bet those that stood up to him about the GA result will happily back him, not just not condemn him.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

Just heard Labour confirm on ITV it will not cancel Sunak's new North Sea licences even though it is against them

Gift to the Greens and SNP no doubt

Yes, a campaigning gift. The Greens will say Labour & Tories are burning the planet. The SNP will say they are stealing Scotland's oil.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh god we won????

Now I have to survive so o can watch the highlight

I won't even be able to here from here in Bulgarski.

Just have to hope the highlights are saved on BBC iPlayer for weeks.
    Just get a VPN

It’s really easy to access BBC iPlayer with a VPN

SkyGo is more impervious but I’ve managed it
    IPlayer was able to tell I was using a VPN last time I tried it, even when I was running the VPN on my mobile that was running a hotspot for my laptop to connect to.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016

Just heard Labour confirm on ITV it will not cancel Sunak's new North Sea licences even though it is against them

Yes, a campaigning gift. The Greens will say Labour & Tories are burning the planet. The SNP will say they are stealing Scotland's oil.
    Ironically it is Shetland's oil who want independence from Scotland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    kle4 said:

Whichever way this goes, the endings of the matches this series have been so tight. You can bet Old Trafford would have had a sting in the tail too…What a series.

Despite making some bad calls England have vindicated their approach - they are not as good a side as Australia on paper, yet each match bar one has been tight, and the exception was so disrupted it cannot be truly judged.
    It’s interesting that the Aussies changed their tactics to try to cope with England. I think some may have scoffed at Bazball, but have gone away thinking again. Warners ridiculous comments about not having seen Bazball when England have routinely gone at north of 5 an over…

People said that it would unravel against the better teams. Well it hasn’t, so I think it’s here to stay for now.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Kamanets Podilskiy

Some obvious war damage here. Unlike Chernovtsi

It is also sublimely strange and sad and atmospheric and deserted

• BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited July 2023
    kjh said:

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.
    To be fair, even I laughed at that one!

At least @Dura_Ace would offer me a bath, even if not a cucumber.
    Picture of a cucumber and the Queen wasn't it? :innocent:

Or was there a missing Oxford comma? :open_mouth:
    Not required.

I always carry a picture of the Queen with me.
    Paging @Anabobazina - we've got another cash user! :wink:
    Cash only at the Fairlop Waters fun fair!

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.
    Seen at Fairlop Waters fun fair a few days ago:

We keep 100% of cash probably means they don’t give any to HMRC.
    The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

Why the hell should it ever be compulsory to take cash?

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
    Well that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. As someone who lived through the 60s and 70s bank robberies and wages snatches with sawn off shotguns were a thing. Not now. All internet fraud now.
    Not now? You're kidding yourself.

Armed robberies happen routinely across Merseyside - and presumably elsewhere - all the time. That they don't get attention is sad, but it happens and only makes the news if someone actually dies and even then it doesn't typically stay in the news for long.

An average of 200 robberies a day happened last year, 365 days a year. Actual robberies with the threat of force involved, not simple theft.

And people here wonder why businesses don't want the burden of handling cash.
    Well that will teach me to agree with you 😀

Seriously though I assume you weren't around in the 60s and 70s. Much safer now. I think the stats support that or I might be basing it on reruns of the Sweeney.
    LOL. I don't know, the Sweeney is long before my time.

All I know is that robberies are very, very real. I've had 4 close friends who work in hospitality held up in separate armed robberies in the Merseyside area. One was a store I'd personally been in half an hour earlier.

Unfortunately there don't seem to have been serious data collected on it from the 60s and 70s to compare. None that I could find from Google anyway. But either way even nowadays its a very real threat to life, and a hassle far more serious than a mild inconvenience, especially when a much less deadly and more reliable alternative exists.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Leon said:

Kamanets Podilskiy

Totally different to the places you were in yesterday and the day before.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Came seriously close to losing control of the car when England got the final wicket. Whoever writes Broad's scripts simply doesn't understand the need for credibility in the real world.

But I cannot help but think for Jimmy, England's greatest ever bowler. He must envy Stuart his scriptwriter. The risk is that his career finishes not with a 6 and a winning wicket but by simply not being picked. He should have quit too.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    edited July 2023

With regards to Sunak and new drilling licenses. As we transition to net zero we will still need oil.

Does it make sense for that to be our own oil, or oil bought from the middle east and shipped by supertanker?

Of course Labour aren't reversing the decision. Sunak has done them a favour.

Indeed, but what happens when those new licences expire and more new licences are needed? Even post net zero we will still need oil, it is asinine to be saying supertanker oil is better than getting our own.
    It's a long while since I last looked at UK licensing terms (and @Richard_Tyndall is almost certainly more current than me), but IIRC it's a bit complicated than that, and so long as you are working on a
    block, then the license doesn't expire.

However: there does need to be a regular relicensing process for blocks which have effectively abandoned by their licensees, as well as for those blocks where no-one bid historically.

Of course, many of these will have had discouraging seismic results, and no-one will be bidding at all (and the most prospective blocks have long gone), but a proper process for ensuring that blocks don't get abandoned is clearly in the interests of UK PLC.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Ironically it is Shetland's oil who want independence from Scotland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Highly ironic from a North Wales partisan! ... :)
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting comment made on TMS earlier this afternoon and which has now come to pass.

There have been no run outs in this Ashes series at all. 178 dismisals and no run outs.

I believe the previous record was 177 dismisals in a series without a run out.

Only previous series without a run out was the 1998/99 Ashes series in Australia.
    Oh but there should have been. Go to 1 hour 46:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI676pzZ3_8
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Broad, and very likely Moeen - what a way to finish you test career.

That was one of the great Test series

Imagine if we’d won at OT and that has made it 3•2

That would have replaced 2005 as the greatest series of all time

It’s still bloody marvellous
    With the final win, I don't think the overall result matters.
    England proved their point, and some.
    2005 was special not just for the tense hard fought games, but the 18 years of losing the Ashes too. Add in the brilliant Aussie team just starting to go over their peak, and an England side on the up and it was incredible.

This series has been stunning too, but for different reasons. The close finishes for sure are remarkable in themselves, but the clash of styles has been brilliant. Both sides have flaws too - I’d take both 2005 sides to beat their 2023 counterparts.
    DavidL said:

Came seriously close to losing control of the car when England got the final wicket. Whoever writes Broad's scripts simply doesn't understand the need for credibility in the real world.

But I cannot help but think for Jimmy, England's greatest ever bowler. He must envy Stuart his scriptwriter. The risk is that his career finishes not with a 6 and a winning wicket but by simply not being picked. He should have quit too.

The odds on Jimmy getting only 5 wickets during the series must have been pretty long.
  • rcs1000 said:

With regards to Sunak and new drilling licenses. As we transition to net zero we will still need oil.

Does it make sense for that to be our own oil, or oil bought from the middle east and shipped by supertanker?

Indeed, but what happens when those new licences expire and more new licences are needed? Even post net zero we will still need oil, it is asinine to be saying supertanker oil is better than getting our own.
    It's a long while since I last looked at UK licensing terms (and @Richard_Tyndall is almost certainly more current than me), but IIRC it's a bit complicated than that, and so long as you are working on a

However: there does need to be a regular relicensing process for blocks which have effectively abandoned by their licensees.
    @Richard_Tyndall please correct me if I'm wrong but my understand is that blocks don't last forever so all licences eventually expire and new licences are required to replace them.

Hence why we regularly need new licences just to maintain output, not to increase it. Indeed even if reducing output we will still overtime need new licences.

So unless we're going to a zero-oil future, which is never going to happen and has no need to happen scientifically, we're going to need either new licences or imports eventually.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,269
    Leon said:

Kamanets Podilskiy

Here's a handy map to help you get around town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kamianets-Podilskyi_map_1691.jpg
    Omnium said:

I have very close family ties to Scotland not least my wife of near 60 years who spent the early years of the war in Orkney
    edited July 2023
    Omnium said:

del

Omnium said:

I have very close family ties to Scotland not least my wife of near 60 years who spent the early years of the war in Orkney
    We've seen you deploying strategic light rail in the small hours and trimming your neighbour's leeks! Lord knows what you've done to break the resonance of the choir practice when our eyes weren't there!
    DavidL said:

You can only quit at the top if you go before your time, when you could go on, but choose not to.

I can understand why Anderson wanted to continue for as long as he could, but he seems to have lost something. They said that Hoggard had lost his nip back in 2008, when Hoggard and Harmison were dropped form the team and Anderson and Broad started their great partnership. I think it would be understandable if the selectors decided the same now, and brought Broad and Anderson's Test careers to a close at the same time.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited July 2023
    DavidL said:

Jimmy can always point at the numbers.

I'm not sure he'd actually enjoy a send off like Stuart's, I think he's more likely to do something low key.

He'll be turning out for some Lancashire club side and frightening batsmen for another 20 years.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

kjh said:

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.

Not required.

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.

The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
    Well that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. As someone who lived through the 60s and 70s bank robberies and wages snatches with sawn off shotguns were a thing. Not now. All internet fraud now.

Armed robberies happen routinely across Merseyside - and presumably elsewhere - all the time. That they don't get attention is sad, but it happens and only makes the news if someone actually dies and even then it doesn't typically stay in the news for long.

An average of 200 robberies a day happened last year, 365 days a year. Actual robberies with the threat of force involved, not simple theft.

Seriously though I assume you weren't around in the 60s and 70s. Much safer now. I think the stats support that or I might be basing it on reruns of the Sweeney.

All I know is that robberies are very, very real. I've had 4 close friends who work in hospitality held up in separate armed robberies in the Merseyside area. One was a store I'd personally been in half an hour earlier.

Unfortunately there don't seem to have been serious data collected on it from the 60s and 70s to compare. None that I could find from Google anyway. But either way even nowadays its a very real threat to life, and a hassle far more serious than a mild inconvenience, especially when a much less deadly and more reliable alternative exists.
    Went to a lodge in Zambia where it was very widely publicised that everybody bought plastic drinks tokens at the head office in town and left all other money and passports in the safe there before heading out. Probably avoided a lot of unpleasantness.
    DavidL said:

It's not as though he's been bowling badly for awhile or anything. Up to this series he's been doing fine. It'd have been better if he had done a bit better and closer to the landmark, but I think he's good enough for one more series, with Broad leaving a spot open for someone else.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,745

But that's not news. Labour has always said they won't rescind any licences in place when/if they come to power; they just won't grant any more. So, no change in policy.
    Are you saying labour are in favour of these new licences or is it just another fudge
    No, I'm saying that Labour never intended to retrospectively rescind licences.
    They might not have to, since (as I understand it) today’s announcement isn’t actually a grant of licenses.

https://www.independent.co.uk/business/what-would-new-oil-and-gas-licences-mean-for-energy-security-and-the-climate-b2385078.html
    … Monday’s announcement from the Prime Minister was mainly a commitment to undertake future licensing rounds for North Sea oil and gas projects, in essence agreeing in principle to allow the fossil fuel industry to undertake new projects.

The announcement did not make decisions on specific oil fields, such as the Rosebank and Cambo projects, and it is unlikely to result in significant practical changes in the immediate future...
    edited July 2023

rcs1000 said:

However: there does need to be a regular relicensing process for blocks which have effectively abandoned by their licensees.
    @Richard_Tyndall please correct me if I'm wrong but my understand is that blocks don't last forever so all licences eventually expire and new licences are required to replace them.

Hence why we regularly need new licences just to maintain output, not to increase it. Indeed even if reducing output we will still overtime need new licences.

So unless we're going to a zero-oil future, which is never going to happen and has no need to happen scientifically, we're going to need either new licences or imports eventually.
    OK.

I've looked at the Government website: https://www.nstauthority.co.uk/licensing-consents/types-of-licence/

And - boy - I'd forgotten how insanely complex the UK licenses are compared to some other countries.

But your core point is correct, irrespective. We need to have a process for licensing (and relicensing) blocks.
    edited July 2023
    Michael Cohen: Trump moves are ‘right out of “Mein Kampf”’
    https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4129073-michael-cohen-trump-moves-are-right-out-of-mein-kampf/
    Michael Cohen, former personal attorney of Donald Trump, compared the former president’s rhetoric and demands for unquestioning loyalty to the language in Adolf Hitler’s Nazi manifesto in an interview Sunday.
    “Right out of ‘Mein Kampf,’” Cohen said, agreeing with MSNBC host Ali Velshi, “which allegedly Donald used to keep on the side of his table.”
    Cohen issued a warning to Walt Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira, the two defendants charged alongside Trump in the case involving his handling of national security information and alleged obstruction. Invoking his own experience with loyalty to Trump, Cohen said his advice would be to distance themselves as much as possible.
    “My recommendation — I’ve said it to Walt Nauta. He was a former military guy. I’m sure he’s got a good pair of sneakers — run. And I would say the same to De Oliveira,” Cohen said.
    “Donald is not going to protect you. Donald is like First Avenue: one way. Loyalty for Donald only goes one way, and he will use you; he will throw you under the bus. And by the time that you get thrown under the bus, it’s too late already,” he added…

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Kamanets Podilskiy

Totally different to the places you were in yesterday and the day before.
    Chernovtsi is historic but urbane. This place is extremely historic and poetic

Also has a terrible Holocaust history. In one sense the Final Solution began right here

Kamanets Podilskiy

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/kamenets-podolsk
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    edited July 2023

Any update on the burgeoning Shetland Indy Movement? If one believed the Times and various smelling salts sniffers on here, the council was about to declare UDI a few weeks ago. Edit: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

It's not as though he's been bowling badly for awhile or anything. Up to this series he's been doing fine. It'd have been better if he had done a bit better and closer to the landmark, but I think he's good enough for one more series, with Broad leaving a spot open for someone else.
    On flat pitches in India? I find it really hard to see him having an impact there. Not fast, no swing, accurate but not obviously penetrating. Not sure he'd be in my team.
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

I find the prospect of Iowa to be pretty dull this time around, if to be accompanied by a great deal of bitterness and rage.

Iowa is RARELY dull . . . every four years in the dead of winter, that is!
    Until the Betfair market is up, it's dull.
    Look to see IF there's someone offering a wager on THIS topic:

> on what date will the 2024 Iowa DEMOCRATIC precinct caucuses be held?

(Google and see what you learn . . . or rather, do NOT learn . . .)

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Broad, and very likely Moeen - what a way to finish you test career.

That was one of the great Test series

Imagine if we’d won at OT and that has made it 3•2

That would have replaced 2005 as the greatest series of all time

It’s still bloody marvellous
    With the final win, I don't think the overall result matters.
    England proved their point, and some.
    2005 was special not just for the tense hard fought games, but the 18 years of losing the Ashes too. Add in the brilliant Aussie team just starting to go over their peak, and an England side on the up and it was incredible.

This series has been stunning too, but for different reasons. The close finishes for sure are remarkable in themselves, but the clash of styles has been brilliant. Both sides have flaws too - I’d take both 2005 sides to beat their 2023 counterparts.
    Pietersen would have asked to swap teams.

Any update on the burgeoning Shetland Indy Movement? If one believed the Times and various smelling salts sniffers on here, the council was about to declare UDI a few weeks ago. Edit: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This earlier this month

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/orkney-independence-vote-norway-shetland-b2369364.html
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Evening all :)

Well done to England - there was a certain inevitability about it all - had it started raining an hour later and lasted an hour longer...but the wickets had to be taken and we did it in the end fairly comfortably.

Yes, we won today but the statistics show a drawn series and the fact remains we lost the first two and the limitations of "Bazball" have been exposed. Never mind Broad and Anderson, what will the side look like for the first test in Australia in November 2025?

For now, India beckons and a full five test series from January to March and an opportunity for the likes of Brook to gain valuable experience on different types of pitches and facing different kinds of bowling.

Even better news than the cricket is the return of jump racing to Windsor in December 2024 and the strong suspicion the 2025 Winter Million will re-locate from Lingfield (where in January it's either flooded or frozen) to the Thameside track.

We can move on to some proper sport tomorrow with the start of five days racing at Goodwood. Probably not that "Glorious" in weather terms and the opening Goodwood Cup isn't going to be an easy one to solve. I'm on EMILY DICKENSON each way at 7s.
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

On flat pitches in India? I find it really hard to see him having an impact there. Not fast, no swing, accurate but not obviously penetrating. Not sure he'd be in my team.
    Anderson took 8/127 over three matches during England's last tour of India, which is pretty good going.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    edited July 2023

This is one of those rare issues where I think the government has done the right thing at I expect some political cost. And it isn't even against the overarching policy of "net zero", if you understand what net zero means you ought to be able to figure out it's about emissions not the use of fossil fuels, which will likely remain a part of our economy for a whole host of reasons for a long time to come.

One other thing worth mentioning, hearing Sunak rattle off the facts in his explanation for the policy this morning I was struck by how well briefed he seems to be. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he certainly does his homework, unlike one recent predecessor.
    edited July 2023
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

This report from a few years ago has him getting 66 wickets at under 30 in India. Not outstanding, perhaps, but a link from that report now updated has him getting 82 at 26 in Asia. Not having an impact seems a bit unfair - people seem to think his record is terrible overseas, but it isn't, even if it is not as good as at home.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ind-vs-eng-how-good-are-anderson-and-broad-in-india-1249810

Does it get any better than this?

I’m in ancient town in a country at war. I’ve got mighty haunted castles and eerie 11th century churches to explore tomorrow. It’s a balmy evening and I’ve got a cold beer and a fine book of history at hand. . I’ve got fields nearly to try and find - where they killed 23,600 Jews. I’ve got Stuart Broad’s last ball to watch on Iplayer - morally winning one of the great test series. And I just survived one of the more hair raising cab rides of my life

That, for me, is a perverse but genuine form of happiness

This earlier this month

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/orkney-independence-vote-norway-shetland-b2369364.html
    Orkxit?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    glw said:

This is one of those rare issues where I think the government has done the right thing at I expect some political cost. And it isn't even against the overarching policy of "net zero", if you understand what net zero means you ought to be able to figure out it's about emissions not the use of fossil fuels, which will likely remain a part of our economy for a whole host of reasons for a long time to come.

One other thing worth mentioning, hearing Sunak rattle off the facts in his explanation for the policy this morning I was struck by how well briefed he seems to be. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he certainly does his homework, unlike one recent predecessor.
    All governments of all colours do good things and bad things. And this is one of those no-brainer things that governments of all colours are great at screwing up.

If CCS is such a good thing suddenly why wasn't it before? Nothing has changed aside from some political opportunism.

The moron media and the politicians who feed it have done a superb job and making it so that hard things either have to be made simple or they don't happen. With a transition to green energy already happening and inevitable, there is no reason to abruptly shut down the North sea and buy from someone else. To hear some politicians you'd think the choice is use oil or don't use oil
    edited July 2023

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Anderson took 8/127 over three matches during England's last tour of India, which is pretty good going.
    Yes, but he has lost a couple of miles an hour, going from medium fast to pretty much medium. He is inevitably more prone to injury, his really excellent fielding has dropped off a tad, and he tires more obviously. He is, undoubtedly, the GOAT for England but I don't see him having an exit like today.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

But that's not news. Labour has always said they won't rescind any licences in place when/if they come to power; they just won't grant any more. So, no change in policy.
    Are you saying labour are in favour of these new licences or is it just another fudge
    I detest Starmer almost as much as you and BJO, but what do you expect Labour to do after the ink is dry?

This earlier this month

Orkxit?
    Indeed and Shetland

Certainly upsets the SNP

This earlier this month

Golly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'It’s baby steps'
    'the motion’s “selling point” was that the “actual words of the motion don’t commit the council to action”'
    'Shetland councillor Robbie McGregor said little had happened in Shetland since it held a similar vote in 2020'

etc
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    edited July 2023
    I was a bit shocked by the anti-cyclist sentiment of normally erudite PBers earlier today. I'm firmly of the view that cycling can help with three of the great challenges of our times (obesity, climate change, air pollution), as well as reducing road traffic collisions, and their impact on QALYs in particular, noise pollution, congestion, cleaning up the public realm and so on.

But I'm delighted to report that this is not a PB phenomenon - being anti-cycling is a curiously British trait. So those posters might well be representative of the wider population.

But why? We hold fairly average views of all other forms of transport. We are keen on walking. Not so keen on driving.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/articles-reports/2023/07/26/britons-have-least-favourable-view-cycling-12-coun

Full tables: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/r9l7ir119g/YouGov - International transport forms favourability.pdf
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    Live at the proms a piece called Nova Plexus by Derrick Skye. Never heard of him before, but it’s fabulous!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited July 2023
    Darwinism in action.

According to a new study that appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association,

Covid-19 deaths among Republicans were a whopping 43% higher than Democrats after the release of the vaccines.

Vaccines save lives. The anti-vax campaign led by MAGA forces cost many Americans their lives. Terrible.

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1686087054877138945

I detest Starmer almost as much as you and BJO, but what do you expect Labour to do after the ink is dry?
    Starmer should not have made the commitment in the first place if he really had the country's interests at heart
    Eabhal said:

I was a bit shocked by the anti-cyclist sentiment of normally erudite PBers earlier today. I'm firmly of the view that cycling can help with three of the great challenges of our times (obesity, climate change, air pollution), as well as reducing road traffic collisions, and their impact on QALYs in particular, noise pollution, congestion, cleaning up the public realm and so on.

But I'm delighted to report that this is not a PB phenomenon - being anti-cycling is a curiously British trait. So those posters might well be representative of the wider population.

But why? We hold fairly average views of all other forms of transport. We are keen on walking.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/articles-reports/2023/07/26/britons-have-least-favourable-view-cycling-12-coun

Full tables: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/r9l7ir119g/YouGov - International transport forms favourability.pdf

"being anti-cycling is a curiously British trait" LOL, just look at US-heavy reddit r/cycling or r/bicycling, or google what coal rolling means.

On a deeply tragic note, US 17 year old cyclocross hopeful killed by traffic yesterday in Colorado. Was booked in for Glasgow.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/8726349/magnus-white-cycling-dead-gofundme-boulder-cyclist-killed/
    Redfield & Wilton showing the smallest Labour lead since Opinium at the beginning of the month (just 15 while Deltapoll maintains a 23-point lead).

Starmer leads Sunak 40-31 on best PM - both men trading close to their party values.

The England split is Labour 43%, Conservative 30%, Liberal Democrat 12% - that's still a 14% swing from Conservative to Labour but the best number for a few weeks while the Conservative-Liberal Democrat swing is 8.5%.

As we saw in two of the by-elections, however, the willingness of anti-Conservative voters to switch to the party most likely to beat the Conservative calendar does need to be factored into calculations and predictions.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Eabhal said:

But why? We hold fairly average views of all other forms of transport. We are keen on walking. Not so keen on driving.

Not what you want to hear, or will listen to, but your attititude towards drivers is not a way to win friends and influence people. Multiply by many thousands of similar aggro cyclists.
    stodge said:

Redfield & Wilton showing the smallest Labour lead since Opinium at the beginning of the month (just 15 while Deltapoll maintains a 23-point lead).

Starmer leads Sunak 40-31 on best PM - both men trading close to their party values.

The England split is Labour 43%, Conservative 30%, Liberal Democrat 12% - that's still a 14% swing from Conservative to Labour but the best number for a few weeks while the Conservative-Liberal Democrat swing is 8.5%.

As we saw in two of the by-elections, however, the willingness of anti-Conservative voters to switch to the party most likely to beat the Conservative calendar does need to be factored into calculations and predictions.

If Sunak leads Starmer on best PM at the time of the election, you'd think Labour would struggle to win an overall majority.
  • Eabhal said:

From my own experiences with them, the only way cycling will reduce traffic collisions is if you round up every cyclist in the country and break their legs so they can't get on their bike for a while...

Live at the proms a piece called Nova Plexus by Derrick Skye. Never heard of him before, but it’s fabulous!

Dunno about Skye, but I saw Peat and Diesel (from Lewis) at the weekend. Make the Pogues look like a church choir. Fab.
    Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

If Sunak leads Starmer on best PM at the time of the election, you'd think Labour would struggle to win an overall majority.
    If, on the other hand, Starmer extends his lead, the Labour majority will increase. In what way do you think Sunak will be able to reduce the lead Starmer currently enjoys (should be noted both men down on last week and almost as many in the DK camp as in the Sunak camp)?

Eabhal said:

From my own experiences with them, the only way cycling will reduce traffic collisions is if you round up every cyclist in the country and break their legs so they can't get on their bike for a while...
    Not sure that comes across in the light-hearted way you probably intended.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

kjh said:

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

"Shut it!"
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

The moron media and the politicians who feed it have done a superb job and making it so that hard things either have to be made simple or they don't happen. With a transition to green energy already happening and inevitable, there is no reason to abruptly shut down the North sea and buy from someone else. To hear some politicians you'd think the choice is use oil or don't use oil

Which is perplexing, as the difficulty of turning around a supertanker metaphor is particularly apposite in this case. Even real dumbos ought to get it.

A battery with ten times higher energy-density that charges ten times faster, and costs a tenth of the price of a lithium ion battery could be invented tomorrow. Could we stop using oil the day after? No. We'd still need to make zillions of these batteries, and hundreds of millions of new vehicles, and build a new energy grid, and install vast amount of renewable generation to charge them. The cost and effort would be enormous, and there would still be things where we need to use fossil fuels.

Even with a near miraculous breakthrough in technology the world will still warm despite it. We'll need to mitigate the warming even if we ended emissions immediately.

It took a couple of hundreds years to dig the hole we are in, it may take a similar amount of time and effort to fill it in again.
    Miklosvar said:

Dunno about Skye, but I saw Peat and Diesel (from Lewis) at the weekend. Make the Pogues look like a church choir. Fab.
    They sound great but they're also great because they look exactly like Lewis coves.
    Exact date of 2024 Iowa Democratic presidential precinct caucuses, as yet to be determined, is of interest mainly IF it is NOT same as Republican pct caucuses = January 15.

Because different date would open the door for "crossover" voting by Democrats in GOP caucuses. Provided they changed their party registration, either before OR on caucus day.

Subsection of PBers think these would go for DJT because they think Democrats are eager to see him as GOP nominee, on grounds he cannot win.

Strangely enough, yours truly thinks this is BS. Meaning that lion's share of any prospective Dem crossover voting in Republican caucuses would benefit, not Trump, but other GOPers.

But whom might they be?

Of course, one question for the Democratic caucuses is, how many likely to turn up to vote for someone other than Joe Biden?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Eabhal said:

"anti-cyclist sentiment"

Care to point out the comments you mean?
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    This will be the thing that overturns that 20 point lead :D
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited July 2023

Eabhal said:

Not what you want to hear, or will listen to, but your attititude towards drivers is not a way to win friends and influence people. Multiply by many thousands of similar aggro cyclists.
    I’m pretty pro cycling, but there’s a breed of very aggressive and sanctimonious (and very sweary) male cyclists - particularly aggressive towards pedestrians in my experience - that just doesn’t seem to exist on the continent. Probably because cycling there is more accepted and normalised, ie it’s a vicious circle.

Miklosvar said:

They sound great but they're also great because they look exactly like Lewis coves.
    Yes. Strong impression, the quite short set was because there's only so long you can go between drams.
    Eabhal said:

Can I just say I am not anti cycling

Far from it

My eldest son (57) was a very competitive mountain biker as was his younger brother (48) and we have lots of trophies they won

My grandchildren also are very good on their bicycles and I always respect cyclists on the road, giving then plenty of space, and often giving way to them

Where I do have an issue is when the car driver is seen as the enemy and car use should be dramatically reduced in favour of cyclists and pedestrians

Each user should respect each other
    edited July 2023
    Eabhal said:

Too many cyclists don't stop at red lights or zebra crossings. It probably annoys drivers who do stop (which is by no means all of them) and certainly this pedestrian because it can be dangerous.

From casual observation: Boris bike commuters are generally better than those on their own machines, and Deliveroo cyclists have almost all switched to ebikes.
    TimS said:

Eabhal said:

I’m pretty pro cycling, but there’s a breed of very aggressive and sanctimonious (and very sweaty) male cyclists - particularly aggressive towards pedestrians in my experience - that just doesn’t seem to exist on the continent. Probably because cycling there is more accepted and normalised, ie it’s a vicious circle.
    Yes. I like to really scare cyclists when I’m driving, making them wobble dangerously and almost fall under massive lorries. Then I give them a cheery wave to leave them confused
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited July 2023
    TimS said:

Eabhal said:

I’m pretty pro cycling, but there’s a breed of very aggressive and sanctimonious (and very sweaty) male cyclists - particularly aggressive towards pedestrians in my experience - that just doesn’t seem to exist on the continent. Probably because cycling there is more accepted and normalised, ie it’s a vicious circle.
    The overly aggressive male middle-aged lycra louts have probably OD'd on the "HRT". Ask @DuraAce.

Though it is easy to get fed up with drivers after suffering a close pass or stupid overtake for the 100th time.

Eabhal said:

When I were a lad, soon after the Romans left, every boy had a bicycle, many girls did too. We all pedalled round the streets (much quieter than they are now owing to the internal combustion engine not having been invented).

I lived briefly in Europe in the early 80s to escape the ravages of the Black Death or Kajagoogoo or Channel 4 (I forget which) and noted most other European countries had dedicated cycle lanes and generally not only encouraged the cyclist but kept them apart from the cars. Over here, that didn't happen. You weren't supposed to ride on the pavement so it was out on the road.

This occurred both in those countries where the war led to radical urban re-design and in those where it didn't.

Other countries love cycling - India, China, Vietnam - all have large numbers of cyclists as well as 28 ways to cook a snake (I don't see the correlation).
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Excellent report on
    @Channel4News
    We export 80% of N Sea oil. We import 4% of our gas from Russia. And we buy & sell both on the international market which we can’t control. Today’s Govt/Sunak announcements aren’t even spin - they’re total bullshit.

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1686078415634382848
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648

Darwinism in action.

According to a new study that appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association,

Covid-19 deaths among Republicans were a whopping 43% higher than Democrats after the release of the vaccines.

Vaccines save lives. The anti-vax campaign led by MAGA forces cost many Americans their lives. Terrible.

Don't look up!
  • glw said:

All governments of all colours do good things and bad things. And this is one of those no-brainer things that governments of all colours are great at screwing up.

If CCS is such a good thing suddenly why wasn't it before? Nothing has changed aside from some political opportunism.

CCS may be a good thing for getting to net zero, it may not be a good thing if pollution were not an issue versus venting the CO2 into the atmosphere.

The key thing that governments need to do is set frameworks for externalities to ensure the polluter pays, then the polluter can think "hmm, storing this CO2 is better than venting it". Plus of course technological change may make CCS more viable than it was in the past.

Saying "this isn't the way it was done before, so it can't be a good thing" is the absolute worst form of small-c conservativism and a recipe for a total lack of progress.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

This is absolutely spot on.

If governments don't actively protect cash - by forcing people to take it - then it will die out. And it will die out because the vast majority of merchants benefit from not having cash handling charges. (And because most of the young people of today are entirely contactless.)

The question, therefore, is to what extent should the government force merchants to do something they don't want to do in order to protect those who cannot (or do not want to) go contactless?
    If the government wants to compel merchants to take cash, then the taxpayer should pay for cash handling charges, cash collection services, security, insurance etc too.

The taxpayer is not going to do that. So compulsion is not remotely reasonable.
    Phew, it's a difficult one.

What of the unbanked, like Nigel Farage? What of kids? What of the aged?

Perhaps there's a compromise here. During the transition period - i.e. the next five years - all firms with more than 40 employees are required to have at least one till able to accept cash payments for sums under £100?

That means you don't totally fuck over the old and the young and the unbanked. But you don't unduly burden small businesses.
    Change the law so that people can't be unbanked, any more than they can have their water supply cut off.

Simples.
    My guess is that when it comes to tipping you are Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs
    I have to admit that film is on my Bucket List, I've never seen it. Before my time and I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Card machines handle tipping for you nowadays though. Most restaurant card machines will give you a choice between the option of no tip, a couple of recommended percentage to select, or manually enter your own amount.
    The problem with card machines and tipping is the money goes to the restaurant and IF it is then passed on to the waitress it pays tax and NI. And it is shameful how many restaurants don't pass it on at all or only pass on a small percentage.

If I tip the waitresses I want that money to go in their pocket not the owners and the Government's. Hence why I always tip in cash.
    Tips have always been supposed to be subject to tax (NI only if the business handles it). That they haven't in the past was tax evasion people turned a blind eye to - America is much tougher on this, for obvious reasons.

Restaurants absolutely should pass on 100% and if I ever found out in that past a restaurant doesn't then I would never return to that restaurant. However a law has been passed in Parliament I believe that firms aren't allowed to deduct from tips, as it should be.
    Law or not I think you would be very surprised how many establishments do not pass on tips.

And I do not consider a tip as part of pay. I consider it a personal thanks to someone for their service and I vary the amount accordingly. I certainly do not want either the employer or the Givernment to get hold of any of it as they were not the ones being thanked. Hence I always tip in cash.
    Also slightly surprised that BR has a much higher faith in the probity of restaurateurs than funfair operators (his comment possibly verging on troublesome for OGH, come to think of it).
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    edited July 2023

Darwinism in action.

That stat needs to be controlled for age though surely.......bit like here and Brexit / Remainer supporters vs insert things like "university educated people think...."

However, that been said, the MAGA anti-vax stuff was real and bonkers. I can understand the differences in opinions over when different states should have opened back up. I think in hindsight many places went on too long as did other countries. But the "I am not getting vaccinated because insert whatever Alex Jones style conspiracy was proper crazy", where as over here it wasn't a right vs left issue, it was a tiny minority of wingnuts like Jezza's brother.

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News
    We export 80% of N Sea oil. We import 4% of our gas from Russia. And we buy & sell both on the international market which we can’t control. Today’s Govt/Sunak announcements aren’t even spin - they’re total bullshit.

The public supports it 42% to 27%
    kle4 said:

"Had this crazy Englishman in the back seat, thought I'd have some fun and give him a scare by roaring down those pocked backroads you know, stupid overtaking, the whole nine yards.

He looked tense as hell, but turns out the whole time he was just worried about his phone signal and news about ashes he cared about, probably a dead relative."

Nine *metres* ...
  • Eabhal said:

What anti-cyclist mentality?

The only anti-anything mentality shown was people like you showing an anti-car mentality.

Unless I've missed it, nobody on here seems anti-cycling. Being pro-driving is not anti-cycling.

I cycle recreationally, and I respect the right of others to choose to cycle for more than that, I just don't make that choice myself.

I am pro-choice and I can respect cyclists right to choose. You don't seem to respect mine. That is the problem.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,450
    Eabhal said:

as with most things in life, the idiot few give the rest a bad name. that goes for both cyclists, motorcyclists, car drivers and van/lorry drivers.

there are cyclists who ignore lights, don't use bells, don't wear helmets, don't use lights etc.
    there are drivers who do not follow the highway code or laws of the land (speeding, indicators, using mirrors).
    there's always been the stereotypical white van man.

you'll find that most of these road users do break the rules of the road or safety rules at some point but it's the minority who do it more often are just more visible and have more incidents. As brits we do take offence at people failing to follow the rules.

Darwinism in action.

That stat needs to be controlled for age though surely.......bit like here and Brexit / Remainer supporters vs insert policy.

However, that been said, the MAGA anti-vax stuff was real and bonkers. I can understand the differences in opinions over when different states should have opened back up. I think in hindsight many places went on too long as did other countries. But the "I am not getting vaccinated because insert whatever Alex Jones style conspiracy was proper crazy" and over here it wasn't a right vs left issue, it was a tiny minority of wingnuts like Jezza's brother.
    The irony of MAGA anti-vaxxism is that Donald Trump was pro-vaccination. If it weren't for his more extreme followers, Trump would have had a good story to tell and might well have won against Biden.

Anything to blame Labour, eh? "They won't cancel the changes my lot made, baaaaad!"

Darwinism in action.

That stat needs to be controlled for age though surely.......bit like here and Brexit / Remainer supporters vs insert things like "university educated people think...."

However, that been said, the MAGA anti-vax stuff was real and bonkers. I can understand the differences in opinions over when different states should have opened back up. I think in hindsight many places went on too long as did other countries. But the "I am not getting vaccinated because insert whatever Alex Jones style conspiracy was proper crazy" and over here it wasn't a right vs left issue, it was a tiny minority of wingnuts like Jezza's brother.
    The irony is that the vaccines is something Trump could campaign on but his base would lose their shit.

I think antivaxxers will get the Andrew Bridgen treatment here.
    Miklosvar said:

Eabhal said:

But why? We hold fairly average views of all other forms of transport. We are keen on walking.

"being anti-cycling is a curiously British trait" LOL, just look at US-heavy reddit r/cycling or r/bicycling, or google what coal rolling means.

On a deeply tragic note, US 17 year old cyclocross hopeful killed by traffic yesterday in Colorado. Was booked in for Glasgow.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/8726349/magnus-white-cycling-dead-gofundme-boulder-cyclist-killed/
    The US is included in that poll and they are more favourable to cycling than we are (53% to 42%). Really strange.
    edited July 2023

Darwinism in action.

That stat needs to be controlled for age though surely.......bit like here and Brexit / Remainer supporters vs insert policy.

The irony of MAGA anti-vaxxism is that Donald Trump was pro-vaccination. If it weren't for his more extreme followers, Trump would have had a good story to tell and might well have won against Biden.
    I don't think so. Trump weird rantings at the start will have hurt him regardless and the economic situation had nose dived with the country shut down for so long.
    edited July 2023
    rcs1000 said:
    That's been known for a year.

The iPads have been C for several years, ditto the MacBooks.

rcs1000 said:
    I thought it was just in the EU.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

Eabhal said:

The only anti-anything mentality shown was people like you showing an anti-car mentality.

Unless I've missed it, nobody on here seems anti-cycling.Being pro-driving is not anti-cycling.

I cycle recreationally, and I respect the right of others to choose to cycle for more than that, I just don't make that choice myself.

I am pro-choice and I can respect cyclists right to choose. You don't seem to respect mine. That is the problem.
    Er, @PoodleInASlipstream at 20:00.
    edited July 2023
    rcs1000 said:
    About f##king time.....but I presume Apple will do something weird with an additional chip that nerfs your charging rate if you don't buy the $50 special Apple USB-C++++ cable and charger, as they will claim this special chip in the handset and charger is required to carefully monitor the heat distribution for safety and more efficient charging.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    I thought it was just in the EU.
    Nope, see my edit.
    Carnyx said:

Anything to blame Labour, eh? "They won't cancel the changes my lot made, baaaaad!"
    It would be good to have an honest position from Labour but they already have 34 policy reversals and counting

Orkney. Not Hjaltaland. But BigG does like to find any excuse.
  • Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

If governments don't actively protect cash - by forcing people to take it - then it will die out. And it will die out because the vast majority of merchants benefit from not having cash handling charges. (And because most of the young people of today are entirely contactless.)

The question, therefore, is to what extent should the government force merchants to do something they don't want to do in order to protect those who cannot (or do not want to) go contactless?
    If the government wants to compel merchants to take cash, then the taxpayer should pay for cash handling charges, cash collection services, security, insurance etc too.

Perhaps there's a compromise here. During the transition period - i.e. the next five years - all firms with more than 40 employees are required to have at least one till able to accept cash payments for sums under £100?

That means you don't totally fuck over the old and the young and the unbanked. But you don't unduly burden small businesses.
    Change the law so that people can't be unbanked, any more than they can have their water supply cut off.

Simples.
    I have to admit that film is on my Bucket List, I've never seen it. Before my time and I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Card machines handle tipping for you nowadays though. Most restaurant card machines will give you a choice between the option of no tip, a couple of recommended percentage to select, or manually enter your own amount.
    The problem with card machines and tipping is the money goes to the restaurant and IF it is then passed on to the waitress it pays tax and NI. And it is shameful how many restaurants don't pass it on at all or only pass on a small percentage.

If I tip the waitresses I want that money to go in their pocket not the owners and the Government's. Hence why I always tip in cash.
    Tips have always been supposed to be subject to tax (NI only if the business handles it). That they haven't in the past was tax evasion people turned a blind eye to - America is much tougher on this, for obvious reasons.

Restaurants absolutely should pass on 100% and if I ever found out in that past a restaurant doesn't then I would never return to that restaurant. However a law has been passed in Parliament I believe that firms aren't allowed to deduct from tips, as it should be.
    Law or not I think you would be very surprised how many establishments do not pass on tips.

And I do not consider a tip as part of pay. I consider it a personal thanks to someone for their service and I vary the amount accordingly. I certainly do not want either the employer or the Givernment to get hold of any of it as they were not the ones being thanked. Hence I always tip in cash.
    Also slightly surprised that BR has a much higher faith in the probity of restaurateurs than funfair operators (his comment possibly verging on troublesome for OGH, come to think of it).
    Not in the slightest. I don't put my faith in anyone who exhibits signs of tax evasion, like prejudicing against card machines. Which includes restaurants, not just funfairs. Its 2023, there's real and serious reasons people may not want to handle cash, like security, but there's not much of a real reason people wouldn't want card transactions besides the fact they want to cook the books - and restauranteurs are more than capable of doing that.

With a digital record of how many tips are earned by the staff any restauranteurs that short-change their staff on tips can easily get caught out and punished. Ironically cash is again where dodgy restauranteurs can short-change their staff. Many restaurants operate a tip jar policy where all staff cash tips must be put in the tip jar to be shared out (and any that don't can be fired as its theft, as they're taking their share of other people's tips but not sharing their own). A dodgy restauranteur can record the wrong figure for cash, and pocket the difference, they can't do that with card based tips.
    The other biggie, more and more countries will get the iPhone version without a sim tray.

ESim for the win.

Eabhal said:

Far from it

My eldest son (57) was a very competitive mountain biker as was his younger brother (48) and we have lots of trophies they won

My grandchildren also are very good on their bicycles and I always respect cyclists on the road, giving then plenty of space, and often giving way to them

Where I do have an issue is when the car driver is seen as the enemy and car use should be dramatically reduced in favour of cyclists and pedestrians

You claimed that a 5 mile cycle across Edinburgh was only achievable for Tour de France riders. You can't expect not to be called out for that.

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Well, Rishi's lost Anna Soubry.

Oil is on target for its largest monthly gain since early 2022 after cuts to supply by Saudi and Russia triggered a surge in prices.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/07/31/ftse-100-market-latest-news-inflation-north-sea-oil-gas/ (£££)

Good news for Norway's sovereign wealth fund; less good for inflation prospects.

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

So all that matters about every Government announcement is whether the public in a poll support it?

Whether it makes sense, whether it's the right thing to do in the medium or longer term, whether the information behind it is honest and credible - none of that matters now. For the Conservatives, the short, medium and long term are now all the same converging on autumn last year.
    stodge said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

So all that matters about every Government announcement is whether the public in a poll support it?

Whether it makes sense, whether it's the right thing to do in the medium or longer term, whether the information behind it is honest and credible - none of that matters now. For the Conservatives, the short, medium and long term are now all the same converging on autumn last year.
    Indeed, wait until Big G sees the polling on Brexit.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.

That's convincing.

My standard approach has been to ask the member of the serving staff to confirm that tips do indeed go to the staff, and overwhelmingly it is "yes, and they are shared".

But I may switch to cash tips.
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

You claimed that a 5 mile cycle across Edinburgh was only achievable for Tour de France riders. You can't expect not to be called out for that.
    I lived there and I could not have riden to and from work especially from Morningside up to Fairmilehead every day
  • Eabhal said:

Unless I've missed it, nobody on here seems anti-cycling.Being pro-driving is not anti-cycling.

Er, @PoodleInASlipstream at 20:00.
    I hadn't seen that one, I'm assuming that was a bad joke having looked back at it, but Poe's Law applies.

Certainly been in past 24 hours far more anti-car mentality than anti-cycling. Being pro-driving is not anti-cycling, any more than pro-cycling is anti-driving. Choice is about letting each individual decide and not getting in the way of free choice.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

Starmer should not have made the commitment in the first place if he really had the country's interests at heart
    Starmer is a tedious tactical triangulator who's fumbling his way to an election victory.
This discussion has been closed.