Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Not long now before we are all focussed on Iowa – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016
    stodge said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News
    We export 80% of N Sea oil. We import 4% of our gas from Russia. And we buy & sell both on the international market which we can’t control. Today’s Govt/Sunak announcements aren’t even spin - they’re total bullshit.

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1686078415634382848

The public supports it 42% to 27%
    So all that matters about every Government announcement is whether the public in a poll support it?

Whether it makes sense, whether it's the right thing to do in the medium or longer term, whether the information behind it is honest and credible - none of that matters now. For the Conservatives, the short, medium and long term are now all the same converging on autumn last year.
    On this it is the right thing to do
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

Carnyx said:

Just heard Labour confirm on ITV it will not cancel Sunak's new North Sea licences even though it is against them

Gift to the Greens and SNP no doubt

But that's not news. Labour has always said they won't rescind any licences in place when/if they come to power; they just won't grant any more. So, no change in policy.
    Are you saying labour are in favour of these new licences or is it just another fudge
    Anything to blame Labour, eh? "They won't cancel the changes my lot made, baaaaad!"
    It would be good to have an honest position from Labour but they already have 34 policy reversals and counting
    Compared to the "Conservative" Party, Labour have been relatively steady.

In any case, who cares if it is the right policy? If it is, then good for Labour that they are willing to change. it compares well with threatening to imprison everyone in a decisionmaking role in the RNLI, right down to the bloke pulling the poor sods out of the briny, and then chickening out. To name one of the smallest U-turns of the Tory Party.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Had this crazy Englishman in the back seat, thought I'd have some fun and give him a scare by roaring down those pocked backroads you know, stupid overtaking, the whole nine yards.

He looked tense as hell, but turns out the whole time he was just worried about his phone signal and news about ashes he cared about, probably a dead relative."

Nine *metres* ...
    A man is making the final arrangements for his wife's funeral. The vicar says "Any questions you'd like to ask?" and he says, "Yes, what's the wi-fi password here?" The vicar, appalled, says, "It's your wife's funeral!"

And the man says, 'Is that all lower case?'

h/t Barry Cryer
  • Miklosvar said:

Eabhal said:

I was a bit shocked by the anti-cyclist sentiment of normally erudite PBers earlier today. I'm firmly of the view that cycling can help with three of the great challenges of our times (obesity, climate change, air pollution), as well as reducing road traffic collisions, and their impact on QALYs in particular, noise pollution, congestion, cleaning up the public realm and so on.

From my own experiences with them, the only way cycling will reduce traffic collisions is if you round up every cyclist in the country and break their legs so they can't get on their bike for a while...
    Not sure that comes across in the light-hearted way you probably intended.
    That's good, because I was going more for "bitter road user who's fed up with moronic cyclists"...
  • MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.
    To be fair, even I laughed at that one!

At least @Dura_Ace would offer me a bath, even if not a cucumber.
    Picture of a cucumber and the Queen wasn't it? :innocent:

Or was there a missing Oxford comma? :open_mouth:
    Not required.

I always carry a picture of the Queen with me.
    Paging @Anabobazina - we've got another cash user! :wink:
    Cash only at the Fairlop Waters fun fair!

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.
    Seen at Fairlop Waters fun fair a few days ago:

We keep 100% of cash probably means they don’t give any to HMRC.
    The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

Why the hell should it ever be compulsory to take cash?

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
    This is absolutely spot on.

If governments don't actively protect cash - by forcing people to take it - then it will die out. And it will die out because the vast majority of merchants benefit from not having cash handling charges. (And because most of the young people of today are entirely contactless.)

The question, therefore, is to what extent should the government force merchants to do something they don't want to do in order to protect those who cannot (or do not want to) go contactless?
    If the government wants to compel merchants to take cash, then the taxpayer should pay for cash handling charges, cash collection services, security, insurance etc too.

The taxpayer is not going to do that. So compulsion is not remotely reasonable.
    Phew, it's a difficult one.

What of the unbanked, like Nigel Farage? What of kids? What of the aged?

Perhaps there's a compromise here. During the transition period - i.e. the next five years - all firms with more than 40 employees are required to have at least one till able to accept cash payments for sums under £100?

That means you don't totally fuck over the old and the young and the unbanked. But you don't unduly burden small businesses.
    Change the law so that people can't be unbanked, any more than they can have their water supply cut off.

Simples.
    My guess is that when it comes to tipping you are Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs
    I have to admit that film is on my Bucket List, I've never seen it. Before my time and I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Card machines handle tipping for you nowadays though. Most restaurant card machines will give you a choice between the option of no tip, a couple of recommended percentage to select, or manually enter your own amount.
    The problem with card machines and tipping is the money goes to the restaurant and IF it is then passed on to the waitress it pays tax and NI. And it is shameful how many restaurants don't pass it on at all or only pass on a small percentage.

If I tip the waitresses I want that money to go in their pocket not the owners and the Government's. Hence why I always tip in cash.
    That's convincing.

My standard approach has been to ask the member of the serving staff to confirm that tips do indeed go to the staff, and overwhelmingly it is "yes, and they are shared".

But I may switch to cash tips.
    In my experience any restaurant operating tip sharing almost certainly has a tip jar for cash to go into and cash tips will be taxed and NI'd just the same if so.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,531
    rcs1000 said:
    One of my friends was making ChatGPT depressed telling it all the awful things that had happened to the world since September 2021 when it's training data was cut off. Then it cheered up when he told it Apple were likely to use standard USB-C for the next iPhone.

Swings and roundabouts.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

I was a bit shocked by the anti-cyclist sentiment of normally erudite PBers earlier today. I'm firmly of the view that cycling can help with three of the great challenges of our times (obesity, climate change, air pollution), as well as reducing road traffic collisions, and their impact on QALYs in particular, noise pollution, congestion, cleaning up the public realm and so on.

But I'm delighted to report that this is not a PB phenomenon - being anti-cycling is a curiously British trait. So those posters might well be representative of the wider population.

But why? We hold fairly average views of all other forms of transport. We are keen on walking. Not so keen on driving.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/articles-reports/2023/07/26/britons-have-least-favourable-view-cycling-12-coun

Full tables: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/r9l7ir119g/YouGov - International transport forms favourability.pdf

Can I just say I am not anti cycling

Far from it

My eldest son (57) was a very competitive mountain biker as was his younger brother (48) and we have lots of trophies they won

My grandchildren also are very good on their bicycles and I always respect cyclists on the road, giving then plenty of space, and often giving way to them

Where I do have an issue is when the car driver is seen as the enemy and car use should be dramatically reduced in favour of cyclists and pedestrians

Each user should respect each other
    You claimed that a 5 mile cycle across Edinburgh was only achievable for Tour de France riders. You can't expect not to be called out for that.
    I lived there and I could not have riden to and from work especially from Morningside up to Fairmilehead every day
    Cut across to Mortonhall - easy in the morning, downhill all the way. In the afternoon, easy enough with geared bike after the first few days.

stodge said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News
    We export 80% of N Sea oil. We import 4% of our gas from Russia. And we buy & sell both on the international market which we can’t control. Today’s Govt/Sunak announcements aren’t even spin - they’re total bullshit.

So all that matters about every Government announcement is whether the public in a poll support it?

Whether it makes sense, whether it's the right thing to do in the medium or longer term, whether the information behind it is honest and credible - none of that matters now. For the Conservatives, the short, medium and long term are now all the same converging on autumn last year.
    Indeed, wait until Big G sees the polling on Brexit.
    I am fully aware of the brexit polling and have expressed a desire for a closer relationship with the EU on many occasions
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    That's been known for a year.
    I thought it was just in the EU.
    Nope, see my edit.
    The very first ever USB C device I got was the Macbook Retina 12 inch about eight years ago.

Miklosvar said:

Eabhal said:

From my own experiences with them, the only way cycling will reduce traffic collisions is if you round up every cyclist in the country and break their legs so they can't get on their bike for a while...
    Not sure that comes across in the light-hearted way you probably intended.
    That's good, because I was going more for "bitter road user who's fed up with moronic cyclists"...
    It came across as a solution to the cyclist problem. A non-interim solution.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357

Just heard Labour confirm on ITV it will not cancel Sunak's new North Sea licences even though it is against them

But that's not news. Labour has always said they won't rescind any licences in place when/if they come to power; they just won't grant any more. So, no change in policy.
    Are you saying labour are in favour of these new licences or is it just another fudge
    I detest Starmer almost as much as you and BJO, but what do you expect Labour to do after the ink is dry?
    Starmer should not have made the commitment in the first place if he really had the country's interests at heart
    Starmer is a tedious tactical triangulator who's fumbling his way to an election victory.
    What is still unclear is what Starmer will do with this power. Will the real Keir Starmer please stand up....

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.

Not required.

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.

The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.

If governments don't actively protect cash - by forcing people to take it - then it will die out. And it will die out because the vast majority of merchants benefit from not having cash handling charges. (And because most of the young people of today are entirely contactless.)

The question, therefore, is to what extent should the government force merchants to do something they don't want to do in order to protect those who cannot (or do not want to) go contactless?
    If the government wants to compel merchants to take cash, then the taxpayer should pay for cash handling charges, cash collection services, security, insurance etc too.

Perhaps there's a compromise here. During the transition period - i.e. the next five years - all firms with more than 40 employees are required to have at least one till able to accept cash payments for sums under £100?

That means you don't totally fuck over the old and the young and the unbanked. But you don't unduly burden small businesses.
    Change the law so that people can't be unbanked, any more than they can have their water supply cut off.

Simples.
    I have to admit that film is on my Bucket List, I've never seen it. Before my time and I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Card machines handle tipping for you nowadays though. Most restaurant card machines will give you a choice between the option of no tip, a couple of recommended percentage to select, or manually enter your own amount.
    The problem with card machines and tipping is the money goes to the restaurant and IF it is then passed on to the waitress it pays tax and NI. And it is shameful how many restaurants don't pass it on at all or only pass on a small percentage.

If I tip the waitresses I want that money to go in their pocket not the owners and the Government's. Hence why I always tip in cash.
    Tips have always been supposed to be subject to tax (NI only if the business handles it). That they haven't in the past was tax evasion people turned a blind eye to - America is much tougher on this, for obvious reasons.

Restaurants absolutely should pass on 100% and if I ever found out in that past a restaurant doesn't then I would never return to that restaurant. However a law has been passed in Parliament I believe that firms aren't allowed to deduct from tips, as it should be.
    Law or not I think you would be very surprised how many establishments do not pass on tips.

And I do not consider a tip as part of pay. I consider it a personal thanks to someone for their service and I vary the amount accordingly. I certainly do not want either the employer or the Givernment to get hold of any of it as they were not the ones being thanked. Hence I always tip in cash.
    Also slightly surprised that BR has a much higher faith in the probity of restaurateurs than funfair operators (his comment possibly verging on troublesome for OGH, come to think of it).
    Not in the slightest. I don't put my faith in anyone who exhibits signs of tax evasion, like prejudicing against card machines. Which includes restaurants, not just funfairs. Its 2023, there's real and serious reasons people may not want to handle cash, like security, but there's not much of a real reason people wouldn't want card transactions besides the fact they want to cook the books - and restauranteurs are more than capable of doing that.

With a digital record of how many tips are earned by the staff any restauranteurs that short-change their staff on tips can easily get caught out and punished. Ironically cash is again where dodgy restauranteurs can short-change their staff. Many restaurants operate a tip jar policy where all staff cash tips must be put in the tip jar to be shared out (and any that don't can be fired as its theft, as they're taking their share of other people's tips but not sharing their own). A dodgy restauranteur can record the wrong figure for cash, and pocket the difference, they can't do that with card based tips.
    Staff are allowed access to the books?
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    The public supports a general election.

Somehow I don't think certain users will be calling for that though.

Darwinism in action.

According to a new study that appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association,

Covid-19 deaths among Republicans were a whopping 43% higher than Democrats after the release of the vaccines.

Vaccines save lives. The anti-vax campaign led by MAGA forces cost many Americans their lives. Terrible.

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1686087054877138945

That stat needs to be controlled for age though surely.......bit like here and Brexit / Remainer supporters vs insert policy.

However, that been said, the MAGA anti-vax stuff was real and bonkers. I can understand the differences in opinions over when different states should have opened back up. I think in hindsight many places went on too long as did other countries. But the "I am not getting vaccinated because insert whatever Alex Jones style conspiracy was proper crazy" and over here it wasn't a right vs left issue, it was a tiny minority of wingnuts like Jezza's brother.
    The irony of MAGA anti-vaxxism is that Donald Trump was pro-vaccination. If it weren't for his more extreme followers, Trump would have had a good story to tell and might well have won against Biden.
    There was a guy here at the weekend campaigning with a "un-vaxxed lives matter' t-shirt. I didn't even ask.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

I detest Starmer almost as much as you and BJO, but what do you expect Labour to do after the ink is dry?
    Starmer should not have made the commitment in the first place if he really had the country's interests at heart
    Starmer is a tedious tactical triangulator who's fumbling his way to an election victory.
    What's wrong with a fumble?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Well, Rishi's lost Anna Soubry.

Oil is on target for its largest monthly gain since early 2022 after cuts to supply by Saudi and Russia triggered a surge in prices.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/07/31/ftse-100-market-latest-news-inflation-north-sea-oil-gas/ (£££)

Good news for Norway's sovereign wealth fund; less good for inflation prospects.
    Anna Soubry is a dickhead.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,269

Darwinism in action.

According to a new study that appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association,

Covid-19 deaths among Republicans were a whopping 43% higher than Democrats after the release of the vaccines.

Vaccines save lives. The anti-vax campaign led by MAGA forces cost many Americans their lives. Terrible.

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1686087054877138945

That stat needs to be controlled for age though surely.......bit like here and Brexit / Remainer supporters vs insert policy.

However, that been said, the MAGA anti-vax stuff was real and bonkers. I can understand the differences in opinions over when different states should have opened back up. I think in hindsight many places went on too long as did other countries. But the "I am not getting vaccinated because insert whatever Alex Jones style conspiracy was proper crazy" and over here it wasn't a right vs left issue, it was a tiny minority of wingnuts like Jezza's brother.
    The irony of MAGA anti-vaxxism is that Donald Trump was pro-vaccination. If it weren't for his more extreme followers, Trump would have had a good story to tell and might well have won against Biden.
    Trump was "pro-vaccination" in a very cack-handed manner. For example, touting the wonders of whatever bogus wonde "cure" he was touting (have mercifully forgotten specifics).

Rather similar to his alleged pro-Ukrainianism?
    rcs1000 said:
    This has literally been the case for almost a year, EU law enforced it and the schematics released last year already confirmed it. Not new.

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Oil is on target for its largest monthly gain since early 2022 after cuts to supply by Saudi and Russia triggered a surge in prices.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/07/31/ftse-100-market-latest-news-inflation-north-sea-oil-gas/ (£££)

Good news for Norway's sovereign wealth fund; less good for inflation prospects.
    How are you keeping Casino? Glad to see you back posting my friend.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.

Tips have always been supposed to be subject to tax (NI only if the business handles it). That they haven't in the past was tax evasion people turned a blind eye to - America is much tougher on this, for obvious reasons.

Restaurants absolutely should pass on 100% and if I ever found out in that past a restaurant doesn't then I would never return to that restaurant. However a law has been passed in Parliament I believe that firms aren't allowed to deduct from tips, as it should be.
    Law or not I think you would be very surprised how many establishments do not pass on tips.

And I do not consider a tip as part of pay. I consider it a personal thanks to someone for their service and I vary the amount accordingly. I certainly do not want either the employer or the Givernment to get hold of any of it as they were not the ones being thanked. Hence I always tip in cash.
    Also slightly surprised that BR has a much higher faith in the probity of restaurateurs than funfair operators (his comment possibly verging on troublesome for OGH, come to think of it).
    Not in the slightest. I don't put my faith in anyone who exhibits signs of tax evasion, like prejudicing against card machines. Which includes restaurants, not just funfairs. Its 2023, there's real and serious reasons people may not want to handle cash, like security, but there's not much of a real reason people wouldn't want card transactions besides the fact they want to cook the books - and restauranteurs are more than capable of doing that.

With a digital record of how many tips are earned by the staff any restauranteurs that short-change their staff on tips can easily get caught out and punished. Ironically cash is again where dodgy restauranteurs can short-change their staff. Many restaurants operate a tip jar policy where all staff cash tips must be put in the tip jar to be shared out (and any that don't can be fired as its theft, as they're taking their share of other people's tips but not sharing their own). A dodgy restauranteur can record the wrong figure for cash, and pocket the difference, they can't do that with card based tips.
    If there's a reason they become suspicious and it goes to tribunal then that information will need to be declared.

A dodgy businessman can write the wrong cash figure down for the tip jar and there's no evidence after that. He can't so easily do so for electronically recorded transactions.

And that is Mr Stacey's case, mlud.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.

If there's a reason they become suspicious and it goes to tribunal then that information will need to be declared.

A dodgy businessman can write the wrong cash figure down for the tip jar and there's no evidence after that. He can't so easily do so for electronically recorded transactions.
    In an infamously un-unionised industry? I do wonder.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited July 2023

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

I think Soubry was lost to the conservative party sanity long before Sunak came along
    FTFY. No idea how she ever made it to Parliament. Proof positive that fruitcakes, nuts and loons can infect all parties.
    Eabhal said:

But I'm delighted to report that this is not a PB phenomenon - being anti-cycling is a curiously British trait. So those posters might well be representative of the wider population.

But why? We hold fairly average views of all other forms of transport. We are keen on walking. Not so keen on driving.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/articles-reports/2023/07/26/britons-have-least-favourable-view-cycling-12-coun

Full tables: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/r9l7ir119g/YouGov - International transport forms favourability.pdf

I seem to remember that one of Count Binface's policies was to give a free bike to everyone in the UK. The two main benefits being drastically reduce obesity and drastically reduce bike theft.
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

My eldest son (57) was a very competitive mountain biker as was his younger brother (48) and we have lots of trophies they won

My grandchildren also are very good on their bicycles and I always respect cyclists on the road, giving then plenty of space, and often giving way to them

Where I do have an issue is when the car driver is seen as the enemy and car use should be dramatically reduced in favour of cyclists and pedestrians

You claimed that a 5 mile cycle across Edinburgh was only achievable for Tour de France riders. You can't expect not to be called out for that.
    I lived there and I could not have riden to and from work especially from Morningside up to Fairmilehead every day
    Cut across to Mortonhall - easy in the morning, downhill all the way. In the afternoon, easy enough with geared bike after the first few days.
    I grant you going in would be easy but coming home was not even considered

Additionally in the winter the Braids can be one long frozen skid pan
    Stokes and Baz have saved Test Cricket.
    Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Had this crazy Englishman in the back seat, thought I'd have some fun and give him a scare by roaring down those pocked backroads you know, stupid overtaking, the whole nine yards.

He looked tense as hell, but turns out the whole time he was just worried about his phone signal and news about ashes he cared about, probably a dead relative."

Nine *metres* ...
    A man is making the final arrangements for his wife's funeral. The vicar says "Any questions you'd like to ask?" and he says, "Yes, what's the wi-fi password here?" The vicar, appalled, says, "It's your wife's funeral!"

And the man says, 'Is that all lower case?'

h/t Barry Cryer
    Rather lame joke, seeing as setup was NOT the actual funeral?

Maybe the widower wanted to convey some "final arrangement" details to other morners?

And that "the vicar" was PB's own Vicar!
    ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

I seem to remember that one of Count Binface's policies was to give a free bike to everyone in the UK. The two main benefits being drastically reduce obesity and drastically reduce bike theft.
    Reminds me of the web newspaper that set up a quiz - you were presented with a number of policies from the party manifestoes of the MRLP and UKIP and asked to decide which policy came from which party. The MRLP actually came out as a pretty sane lot behind the odd joke.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    edited July 2023
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.

That's convincing.

My standard approach has been to ask the member of the serving staff to confirm that tips do indeed go to the staff, and overwhelmingly it is "yes, and they are shared".

But I may switch to cash tips.
    These days its very rare for there not to be a 10 or 12.5% service charge added. Now, you can ask the waiter/waitress to re-print the bill without the service charge and then pay a cash tip but I suspect that you'll just be adding hassle to their job by doing that.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    Goodnight all. Just a hundred miles from Russia, but stunningly peaceful here.

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 2023

Yes, a campaigning gift. The Greens will say Labour & Tories are burning the planet. The SNP will say they are stealing Scotland's oil.
    Ironically it is Shetland's oil who want independence from Scotland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any update on the burgeoning Shetland Indy Movement? If one believed the Times and various smelling salts sniffers on here, the council was about to declare UDI a few weeks ago. Edit: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This earlier this month

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/orkney-independence-vote-norway-shetland-b2369364.html
    Golly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'It’s baby steps'
    'the motion’s “selling point” was that the “actual words of the motion don’t commit the council to action”'
    'Shetland councillor Robbie McGregor said little had happened in Shetland since it held a similar vote in 2020'

etc
    is that Boris Johnson with a pair of the King Crabs that have been invading Norwegian waters from the north, or did he finally got to grips with John Prescott and Peter Mandelson?

edited July 2023

No more England test cricket for 6 months and more than likely half today's team won't be playing in India.

I am failing to get at all excited by the Hundred starting tomorrow....
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.

In an infamously un-unionised industry? I do wonder.
    Even de-unionised employees can take matters to tribunal. Indeed many ambulance chasers can offer try and do it for you even if you're not a member of one.

Cash is far easier to commit fraud by recording the wrong number on than card is. Especially if the restaurant has a tip jar policy, which many do, for cash not just cards.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

We've tried subsidising posh bikes but I'm not sure how many were used for commuting, as intended.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited July 2023

Test Cricket didn't need saving.

The Ashes would have been exciting even without Stokes and Baz. They were even in the 90s.

Stokes and Baz have helped ensure we didn't lose and nearly regained the Ashes, but lets not overegg the pudding.

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

TBF bikes have improved, and in the winter there are buses and salt. Maybe more of the latter these days is my impression.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:
    That's been known for a year.
    I thought it was just in the EU.
    Apple would make a separate iphone just for the EU? Seems unlikely, for a corp in the US where they bundle EMEA as one small and niche market.

Crossover point: on US based cycling forums, of the small minority of side-of-the-road commenters who realise not everyone drives on the right, most think that all of Yurrup drives on the left.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

The Ashes would have been exciting even without Stokes and Baz. They were even in the 90s.

Stokes and Baz have helped ensure we didn't lose and nearly regained the Ashes, but lets not overegg the pudding.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's in the bathroom?

Not required.

Simples.

Don't think your last assertion is quite correct, based on recent media reports in USA re: workers being defrauded of tips by food delivery services and the like, which are strictly electronic payments only.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648

Carnyx said:

Anything to blame Labour, eh? "They won't cancel the changes my lot made, baaaaad!"
    It would be good to have an honest position from Labour but they already have 34 policy reversals and counting
    Erm, this from the Tories is a policy reversal...

Completely disagree. All my friends have got into it and none of them have ever watched cricket before. They’ve changed things for good.

Thank you Baz.

No more England test cricket for 6 months and more than likely half today's team won't be playing in India.

I’m going to five of the games, I’m excited.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    Remember in 2016 Cruz beat Trump in Iowa, the Iowa caucuses are full of evangelicals who were not always pro Trump

Fumble! Wa-hey, that sounds INCREDIBLY rude!!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

There's no problem riding a bike on ice or snow. That's what studded tyres are for.

Admittedly the problem for cyclists on snowy roads are the out of control cars.
    edited July 2023

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the England team are rested for it or only play a bit part, especially the ODI WC coming up. And the standard of overseas pros is piss poor or only playing a few games*. Major League Cricket had better overseas pros.

* Rashid Khan who was only going to play 3 games pulled out today.
    edited July 2023
    Do you think the government are right or wrong to issue new licences for oil and gas drilling in the North Sea?

Right to do so: 42%
    Wrong to do so: 27%

67% of Conservative voters think the government was right to issue new oil and gas licenses as do 48% of Scots, even higher than the UK average there.

47% of Labour voters opposed to just 24% in favour however, LD voters also opposed 38% to 32%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/07/31/aac1f/1
    ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

Second one would work just fine. When did you hear of someone having their telly and stereo burgled now they are both effectively free?

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the England team are rested for it or only play a bit part, especially the ODI WC coming up. And the standard of overseas pros is piss poor. Major League Cricket had better overseas pros.
    Fair enough but I’m still excited, I’ve really enjoyed it the last two years
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

TBF bikes have improved, and in the winter there are buses and salt. Maybe more of the latter these days is my impression.
    I am of course talking about the year 1962 to 1964 when bicycles were very different and I can remember many times in winter when the Braids was impossible even for buses

However, the wider point is I am not anti cyclists not least from my own children's trophy cabinet and the way my grandchildren use their bikes but I do push back at the suggestion car drivers are an enemy and roads should actively be given over to cyclists
    Hello from Gatwick. My 19:55 to Aberdeen is delayed by a lack of ground crew to do things like operate the air bridge and put bags in the hold. And it's not just us - lots of people on twitter complaining...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:
    Not-Jock O'Vitch beats Jock O'Vitch after the 51st deuce tie-break set point of the match, or match point of the set, or whatever. The excitement was so much I had to recalibrate my pacemaker. And don't get me started on the Let - first services.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Steve Barclay axes one in six of his civil servants in war on waste
    Health Secretary slashes bureaucracy so more money can be directed to front-line services

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/31/steve-barclay-cuts-civil-servants-roles-department-health/ (£££)
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

I think Soubry was lost to the conservative party long before Sunak came along
    Yes, but Chris Skidmore (former energy minister and net zero reviewer) is still a Conservative MP, and he's also unimpressed;

"worryingly, this decision has also been announced when MPs are on recess, unable to hold the government to account..."

https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1685948524033130498

As for CCS, geologists were discussing it when I shared coffee tables with them, and that was thirty years ago. At some point, we may have to accept that for now, it doesn't work at a scale and price we can use, no matter how much we try, and we need to make to plan B.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    We have oil up above $80 and I imagine this isn't going to help bring down inflation in the short to medium term.

I'm wondering if this is going to close off May 2024 as a GE option and it's going to be October 2024.
    Not sure if this has been posted but Moeen Ali confirms his retirement from test cricket
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    Sunak has now decided after some fluke by-election win to become the motorists champion !

The poor thing seems to flailing around trying to find any cause where he can dupe the thick section of the public that he’s on their side.

Anyone believing his latest guff should be kept away from the polling booth and sterilized to stop the rising idiocy amongst the countries gene pool .

Too many educated people are having too few kids whilst Shazza keeps popping out babies at an alarming rate.

This is distorting the country moving forward . The government needs to start handing out sweeteners for those with a decent IQ to have more kids .

It’s a race against time !

Health Secretary slashes bureaucracy so more money can be directed to front-line services

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/31/steve-barclay-cuts-civil-servants-roles-department-health/ (£££)

Oh good because this hasn’t gone wrong before

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Yes, but Chris Skidmore (former energy minister and net zero reviewer) is still a Conservative MP, and he's also unimpressed;

"worryingly, this decision has also been announced when MPs are on recess, unable to hold the government to account..."

As for CCS, geologists were discussing it when I shared coffee tables with them, and that was thirty years ago. At some point, we may have to accept that for now, it doesn't work at a scale and price we can use, no matter how much we try, and we need to make to plan B.
    Like fracking, then?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

Hello from Gatwick. My 19:55 to Aberdeen is delayed by a lack of ground crew to do things like operate the air bridge and put bags in the hold. And it's not just us - lots of people on twitter complaining...

I don't quite get how the electric car marries with the internal flights, but maybe that's just me.
    edited July 2023

Not sure if this has been posted but Moeen Ali confirms his retirement from test cricket

Re-retirement.....Don't blame him as he is still top class in T20 and big money available to go and play that 12 months a year around the world (and for England).

The worry for England is so many of the stand out players from this Ashes are retiring or have at most have a year or two left, with the replacements a definite step down.

In the post-apocalyptic The Road hellscape that post will be taught in schools as an example of pre-The Event problems. My INV-BRS flight was 35 minutes late last night. The suffering. The humanity.
    edited July 2023

It would be better if the waste of space axed himself .
    nico679 said:

Sunak has now decided after some fluke by-election win to become the motorists champion !

The poor thing seems to flailing around trying to find any cause where he can dupe the thick section of the public that he’s on their side.

Anyone believing his latest guff should be kept away from the polling booth and sterilized to stop the rising idiocy amongst the countries gene pool .

Too many educated people are having too few kids whilst Shazza keeps popping out babies at an alarming rate.

This is distorting the country moving forward . The government needs to start handing out sweeteners for those with a decent IQ to have more kids .

Go on Nico!!!!
    edited July 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

I am of course talking about the year 1962 to 1964 when bicycles were very different and I can remember many times in winter when the Braids was impossible even for buses

However, the wider point is I am not anti cyclists not least from my own children's trophy cabinet and the way my grandchildren use their bikes but I do push back at the suggestion car drivers are an enemy and roads should actively be given over to cyclists
    Cyclists do deserve to have some consideration, even if some are nasty shites. The way things are going, with te tax on petrol disappearing, the cyclists will be paying almost as much tax to use the roads as the motorists. Probably rather more, per unit of space actually occupied.
    IanB2 said:

You're shacked up with @Leon ?

IanB2 said:

Glacial erratics and boreal forest by the look of it - so Scandinavia or the Baltics.

nico679 said:

Go on Nico!!!!
    Do you mean as in breeding or you liked my post !
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

In the post-apocalyptic The Road hellscape that post will be taught in schools as an example of pre-The Event problems. My INV-BRS flight was 35 minutes late last night. The suffering. The humanity.
    BTW how did you find the Inverness [edit[] airport railway station? Bit of a trek to the terminal but under cover I believe?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

I am told that Edinburgh is like Cambridge - it has a very notable network of "quiet ways", whilst its prominent cycle routes tend to be poor. Note, for example, the shitshow created by the current Edinburgh Council.

As for winter, you can either use winter tyres with rubber compounds tuned for temperatures just above zero - which have been easily available for at least a decade, or if it is properly icy use studded tyres.

It's really a very similar choice to motor vehicle tyres - there are at least a dozen brands of low temperature rubber available and some of them even share a name eg Pirelli Cinturato Velo.

One way is to have 2 wheelsets, or even 2 cycles if you also need different gears.

Lots of options.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Which is even more damning. The public (and I speak with authority as a member of the public) is often wrong because their leaders keep bullshitting them - as here. Populism is telling people what they want to hear. Leadership is telling them what they need to hear.

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

How are you keeping Casino? Glad to see you back posting my friend.
    Very well thank you, and smashing the Aussies tonight was the icing on the cake.
    edited July 2023
    The public opinion is normally spend more money on everything / give me free stuff, by taxing people not like me....
    edited July 2023
    DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Which is even more damning. The public (and I speak with authority as a member of the public) is often wrong because their leaders keep bullshitting them - as here. Populism is telling people what they want to hear. Leadership is telling them what they need to hear.
    At the moment they want cheaper fuel bills and a UK energy sector less reliant on Putin.

They also know that unless the US, Russia, India, Saudi Arabia and China drastically reduce fossil fuel usage what we do is largely irrelevant on climate change and we have less fossil fuel use than the G20 average anyway
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,068
    edited July 2023

No views on this specifically, but it is worth asking why we need a massive Dept of Health admin when there is a gigantic NHS administration as well, and whether it would be better if the government's task was limited to writing an annual cheque for £200 billion.

At the moment the NHS is praised for all that is good, and the government blamed for all that is bad in the NHS. This is nonsense.
    DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

It used to be called "winning the argument" but there is no more argument.
  • What a day.. Broady got the Convicts out on bail
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

At the moment they want cheaper fuel bills and a UK energy sector less reliant on Putin.

They also know that unless the US, Russia, India, Saudi Arabia and China drastically reduce fossil fuel usage what we do is largely irrelevant on climate change and we have less fossil fuel use than the G20 average anyway
    As detailed above we import a massive 4% of our gas from Russia.

What happened to “Global Britain”? Are we not supposed to be setting an example? Are other countries not taking notice of what we do? Your sneering at our great country is a disgrace and tantamount to treason.
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

What happened to “Global Britain”? Are we not supposed to be setting an example? Are other countries not taking notice of what we do? Your sneering at our great country is a disgrace and tantamount to treason.
    It *is* treason.
    Carnyx said:

Miklosvar said:

BTW how did you find the Inverness railway station? Bit of a trek to the terminal but under cover I believe?
    I didn't, lift from airport one way and taxi the other. But the local verdict is it's a disaster, massive trek - esp with luggage - I heard the claim the assumption was that it would be easy to get someone to operate a free shuttle service and when it was put out to tender nobody was interested in supplying it for the money on offer.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

I don’t think that is an accurate figure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blow-for-putin-as-uk-marks-one-year-free-from-russian-gas
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Glacial erratics and boreal forest by the look of it - so Scandinavia or the Baltics.
    Or Finland.
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

I don’t think that is an accurate figure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blow-for-putin-as-uk-marks-one-year-free-from-russian-gas
    Good news story there
    I didn't realise the Aussies lost their last 7 wickets for just 70 runs
    edited July 2023
    Just looking at age of Australia's current team, there aren't going to be many of their players in the next Ashes. A lot of the back-up players are also not exactly spring chickens.
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

It *is* treason.
    Put the bottle down, gents.

It's a school night.

I didn't realise the Aussies lost their last 7 wickets for just 70 runs

A collapse of Herculean England-ean proportions.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

It *is* treason.
    Put the bottle down, gents.

It's a school night.
    Naah. Summer holidays.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    nico679 said:

The day before yesterday you were talking about Nazi ovens. Yesterday you were complaining post-brexit immigrants are less likely to be white. Today you are pushing eugenics.

Are you ok?
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

Miklosvar said:

BTW how did you find the Inverness railway station? Bit of a trek to the terminal but under cover I believe?
    I didn't, lift from airport one way and taxi the other. But the local verdict is it's a disaster, massive trek - esp with luggage - I heard the claim the assumption was that it would be easy to get someone to operate a free shuttle service and when it was put out to tender nobody was interested in supplying it for the money on offer.
    Hmm, I see it's 10-15 min walk, but in practice if taking a train from the north west I'd walk over to the bus station at Inverness (from the Inverness reailway platform end - no need to go out the frontage) and get a direct bus. Not so obvious what to do from the other end towards Aberdeen - depends. There is a commercial bus operating, though, at the airport.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    edited July 2023

Well it’s going to go wrong instantly because the one thing most international surveys show that the NHS doesn’t have enough admin staff…

And instead has very expensive doctors doing the paperwork..
    Peck said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Or Finland.
    Finland not part of Scandinavia, then? Today's thing learnt on PB, ta muchly. But it's certainly Baltic ...
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Just because what we do may be "largely irrelevant", does that mean in your view we shouldn't do it?

As has been so often the case, Britain will advance the case through technological ingenuity and best practice - setting an example. Should we not be setting an example for the world in how to achieve sensible and viable sustainability in our politics and economics?
    eek said:

Well it’s going to go wrong instantly because the one thing most international surveys show that the NHS doesn’t have enough admin staff…

And instead has very expensive doctors doing the paperwork..
    Isn't there a distinction hwre between the DoH and the NHS itself? Not clear where the line falls in Mr Barclay's proposals, mind.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Chris Skidmore, who is leaving Parliament to take up a new career working on the path to net zero. He was never going to be a fan.
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent report on
    @Channel4News

Just because what we do may be "largely irrelevant", does that mean in your view we shouldn't do it?

As has been so often the case, Britain will advance the case through technological ingenuity and best practice - setting an example. Should we not be setting an example for the world in how to achieve sensible and viable sustainability in our politics and economics?
    And make money. Too late now.
    Update from Shatwick. A stack of people on other flights all stuck in the same boat. We're about 90 minutes late with luggage loading. And a time curfew on operations at Aberdeen airport is starting to be a concern...
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Far from it

Cyclists do deserve to have some consideration, even if some are nasty shites. The way things are going, with te tax on petrol disappearing, the cyclists will be paying almost as much tax to use the roads as the motorists. Probably rather more, per unit of space actually occupied.
    I hate the way they run red lights, even at pedestrian crossings, and the way they creep up silently from behind on the pavement without ringing their bell.
This discussion has been closed.