Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Brexiteers, you may need a stiff drink – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,828

@Leon when have I ever said that I’m not returning to the UK? Indeed, the plan was to “do three years”.

I am alternately charmed and horrified by the US, albeit I have upstate New York for July so currently more charmed.

You’ve said several times you have no desire to return to our Brexity toilet and you are looking to retire somewhere like north Portugal etc

And your endless and relentless negativity about the UK does not speak of someone yearning to set up home in Sussex, Stoke or Stornaway
  • Options

Could be a really good finish in the ladies' cricket

England need 102 from 15 overs with 5 wickets remaining

Now 73 from 10 with 4 wickets
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

I voted Remain but it's time for other Remainers to accept the result of the referendum.

We left; that’s done. Is anyone arguing about that ?

It’s not ‘up to’ those who think it was a bad idea to change their minds based upon a vote taken years ago, whose mandate is expired.

And quite evidently, it’s no longer just remainers who think it’s a shit show.
    Too many are saying “it’s bad because of brexit” and offering no solution. They should be saying “how do we make it better”

The answer “rejoin the EU” is not persuasive because it will be incredibly divisive and result in alienation of a large percentage of the voters

Tangible, incremental steps to make things better is what are required
    We can start by rejoining the single market. We can then reintroduce freedom of movement. Without these, it will be harder to rebuild the economy.
    You had the chance to make that case and lost it. It would be a massive FU to the part of the Brexit vote that was driven by immigration
    Polling demonstrates that they no longer really care about immigration.

Plus, those people will lose the next election (and the one after that) and according to Brexit logic that means they need to “accept” they have lost have no more say in the matter.

More seriously, some of the analysis I’ve
    seen suggests that mass immigration from Eastern Europe is unlikely to happen again given demographics and relative wealth.
    Remainers had the chance to make a positive contribution but decided to try and overturn the vote instead. That was a shame.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    edited July 2023
    Reading that Civil War book.

Anyone heard of the 79th New York (Scottish) Highlanders? They had sporrans and everything.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,588

Cookie said:

Leon said:

A//

Leon said:

Leon said:

Isn’t Warsaw meant to be “richer than most parts of the UK” or some such Remoaner nonsense?

It is palpably, visibly ridiculous

Half of it looks like Charleston, West Virginia; albeit much safer

Does it feel young and vibrant though?

I think you need to travel through the UK.
    After Warsaw, go to Hull or some such.
    This is the capital city
    Poland builds stuff and invests in future generations - which is how they've gone from GDP PP of $1700 in 1990 to $17000 in 2020.

We really shouldn't be defending the state of towns in Wales and the Midlands on the basis that they're not quite as poor as suburban Warsaw.
    But I keep hearing this bullshit from Remoaners. “Oh because of Brexit we’re being overtaken by the Eastern European. Warsaw is richer than anywhere outside Mayfair. Slovenians are buying flats in Edinburgh to use as garden sheds”

Reality

That looks like part of the nicer areas of Leeds.
    Have you ever been to Leeds? The nicer areas of Leeds are lovely.
    Leon said:

This is impressive. The Old Town Square. Every single building is a fake. Rebuilt after 1945. Nonetheless it got UNESCO listed in 2011

How come Poundbury is bad and evil and pastiche yet this is noble and worthy and UNESCO-able?

What the photo doesn’t show is that the fairly run down shit begins two blocks from here and that’s even in the lovely restored area

I went to Poundbury about 15 years ago and it was disappointing. It just felt fake, and seemed to be a kind of dormitory for cars.

Otherwise, I agree.
    I think Poundbury feels fake because we've been conditioned to believe modern architecture and urbanism has to look bland and functional.
    I agree they haven't got their treatment of cars right yet. I think the POW's second attempt outside Newquay is better in that regard.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,245
    Leon said:

I suspect Brexit is ultimately stuffed because of demographic change. The evidence so far (see John Curtice for instance) is that pro-Eu sentiment is more akin to accepting same-sex marriage rather than becoming more economically conservative as one ages and accumulates assets. Millennials aren't changing their mind, and aren't likely to become convinced that the stuff on Turkey, the £350m a week etc. was anything other than a pack of lies.
    I think there's a fair chance demographic change alone will lead to there being a two-thirds majority for rejoin by the 2030s.

I suspect Brexit is ultimately stuffed because of demographic change. The evidence so far (see John Curtice for instance) is that pro-Eu sentiment is more akin to accepting same-sex marriage rather than becoming more economically conservative as one ages and accumulates assets. Millennials aren't changing their mind, and aren't likely to become convinced that the stuff on Turkey, the £350m a week etc. was anything other than a pack of lies.
    I think there's a fair chance demographic change alone will lead to there being a two-thirds majority for rejoin by the 2030s.

I have a strange feeling people like you - and all these youthful liberal Remainers - will change your minds a tad when the EU is run by populist, seriously hard right governments from Madrid to Stockholm, and from Rome to Budapest
    If, not when.

And unlike your lot, many of us are pragmatists - something you cheerfully eschew.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

A//

Leon said:

Leon said:

Isn’t Warsaw meant to be “richer than most parts of the UK” or some such Remoaner nonsense?

This is the capital city
    Poland builds stuff and invests in future generations - which is how they've gone from GDP PP of $1700 in 1990 to $17000 in 2020.

We really shouldn't be defending the state of towns in Wales and the Midlands on the basis that they're not quite as poor as suburban Warsaw.
    But I keep hearing this bullshit from Remoaners. “Oh because of Brexit we’re being overtaken by the Eastern European. Warsaw is richer than anywhere outside Mayfair. Slovenians are buying flats in Edinburgh to use as garden sheds”

Reality

Leon said:

This is impressive. The Old Town Square. Every single building is a fake. Rebuilt after 1945. Nonetheless it got UNESCO listed in 2011

How come Poundbury is bad and evil and pastiche yet this is noble and worthy and UNESCO-able?

What the photo doesn’t show is that the fairly run down shit begins two blocks from here and that’s even in the lovely restored area

I went to Poundbury about 15 years ago and it was disappointing. It just felt fake, and seemed to be a kind of dormitory for cars.

Otherwise, I agree.
    I think Poundbury feels fake because we've been conditioned to believe modern architecture and urbanism has to look bland and functional.
    I agree they haven't got their treatment of cars right yet. I think the POW's second attempt outside Newquay is better in that regard.
    They just need to put the bloody cars in an underground car park UNDER the pretty car-less square. Like the French do. It’s not hard
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

A//

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city

Reality

Leon said:

Otherwise, I agree.
    No, it looks fake because they used classic styling without a deeper understanding of local vernacular, and because - apart from the design - it’s built as a modern, car-bound commuter suburb.

The public spaces were (and maybe still are) dead.

Hopefully Newquay is better.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

I voted Remain but it's time for other Remainers to accept the result of the referendum.

It’s not ‘up to’ those who think it was a bad idea to change their minds based upon a vote taken years ago, whose mandate is expired.

Too many are saying “it’s bad because of brexit” and offering no solution. They should be saying “how do we make it better”

The answer “rejoin the EU” is not persuasive because it will be incredibly divisive and result in alienation of a large percentage of the voters

We can start by rejoining the single market. We can then reintroduce freedom of movement. Without these, it will be harder to rebuild the economy.
    You had the chance to make that case and lost it. It would be a massive FU to the part of the Brexit vote that was driven by immigration

Plus, those people will lose the next election (and the one after that) and according to Brexit logic that means they need to “accept” they have lost have no more say in the matter.

seen suggests that mass immigration from Eastern Europe is unlikely to happen again given demographics and relative wealth.
    Remainers had the chance to make a positive contribution but decided to try and overturn the vote instead. That was a shame.
    What is a shame is that you seem to be trying to revisit grievances from five years ago.

As I say above, your particular, badly-informed demographic (ie “leavers”) are now on the out, their moment of chaotic ineptitude is closing, and they wont be asked for their opinion while the rest of us get on and try to figure out what’s next.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It’s true that in some respects Brexit is a massive distraction from the “real issues”.

But in other ways, you can’t easily ignore a 5.5% dent to your economy.

As a comparison, Adam Tooze was suggesting that to address climate change required a global 3% of GDP investment each year.

Climate change investment is productive, though.
    Renewable energy is now cheaper than what it replaces.
    If you think about the cost of fitting the entire country with heat pumps, for example.
    Of course. Parts of the solution aren’t obvious no brainiers.
    Nonetheless, it’s not just pissing away money like Brexit.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The Germans knocked down virtually the whole city in 1944, so the Poles had to re-build from scratch.
    At least the Poles did it properly instead of building brutalist concrete monstrosities. It certainly looks better than Coventry.
    Can’t argue with that. I wish we’d had the same good sense as much of Eastern Europe. Which has rebuilt its towns exactly as they were

We built hideous crap
    City of London being THE global poster child for crap architecture.

Utterly squandered the opportunity for non-crap post-Blitz rebuilding.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,968

Brexit is not even in the top five reasons we're fucked economically.

England hasn't built a reservoir in thirty years. HS2 has taken twenty years from proposal to (best case scenario) "completion". Nationwide, house prices are seven times average earnings, compared to three times in 1995. Leeds is the largest city region in Europe with no metro network. The Secretary of State for Environment is currently supporting a wind farm in the North Sea, while opposing the infrastructure required to bring the electricity to the mainland where it can actually be used....

Rejoining the EU, unless it comes with massive investment in infrastructure and the abolition of the Town and Country Planning Act, won't fix it.

(Been absent out looking for brown interior woodwork paint to refresh a faux-fireplace - remarkably no one seems to have any, so that tenant is now getting a dark grey fireplace.)

Interesting comment FPT. I've edited out the anti-pensioner blurb.

The Leeds Metro is of interest; I don't understand why they have not done it. Metropolitan area transport systems where they have been created have been, imo, successes; I think that at some stage southern Nimby-towns will suddenly find they are 50 years out of date. We've done reservoirs vs reducing the excess 30% of water we use before. Fixing house prices is a matter of tax reform and political will, and no one has the courage to do much there - I don't expect anything from Starmer, but hope he will surprise. I'm not doing planning today.

I share the view of some others that the Conservatives need a decade in opposition to recover their soul after they (I hope) escape from Steptoe & Son politics.

At present, our latest fuckwit of a transport Minister, the Govt having declared that people flying from Newcastle (and eventually Edinburgh etc) will stay in the aeroplanes because HS2 was unaffordable, has in the last 14 days promised an equivalent sum to that saved to holes in the ground or bridges in the South (Stonehenge Tunnel, Silvertown Tunnel, East London River Crossing), having previously tipped huge amounts of HS2 money into holes in the ground to placate the Home Counties.

Underneath as a cause, I'm inclined to point to widespread institutional failure to deliver in practice.

A large example would be the Edinburgh Tram System, which is aiui headed for £1bn in costs. Currently many of the trams, with hundreds of people on board, in Leith Walk - a main Edinburgh shopping street, are being stopped and delayed by illegal parking, and there is neither the capability to inform the public of delays, nor the will to deal with the antisocial drivers. This has been going on for 2-3 years, now.

I have a photograph showing a delivery pantechnicon destroying the pavement one side, whilst a work crew are repairing smashed paving slabs the other side - presumably to be destroyed again tomorrow.

For a smaller English example, I'd point to pedestrianised Norwich, where the police spent their time forcing the pedestrians to the side to allow convoys of lawbreaking drivers to take their vehicles through the pedestrian street. I'd also point to the Chief Constable who refused to sort out dangerous parking at a school run because the parents abused his officers.

Meanwhile the Conservative Next Election Hail Mary Pass consumes tens of billions.

• Options

Nigelb said:

It’s true that in some respects Brexit is a massive distraction from the “real issues”.

But in other ways, you can’t easily ignore a 5.5% dent to your economy.

As a comparison, Adam Tooze was suggesting that to address climate change required a global 3% of GDP investment each year.

Climate change investment is productive, though.
    Renewable energy is now cheaper than what it replaces.
    I'd like to see some back up for that last statement. Barring the extraordinarily high price of gas recently, it seems a clear cut untruth.
    We’ve had this discussion before.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city

Reality

What is this stuff about Remoaners? I voted Leave; my complaint is that our government is insisting on shooting the country in the foot through restrictive planning, while Poland has increased its GDP PP by 10x in thirty years. I think we should look at what they've done, which clearly works, instead of continuing our suicidal build-nothing policy. What exactly do you disagree with?
    We can’t copy a country which began with a GDP per capita of $3000 or whatever. The situations are entirely different. They played catch up, assisted by the EU and the end of communism, and with a very poorly paid but quite well educated population. Good for them

Unless you are suggesting we build car factories where we can pay people £2 an hour to undercut France and Germany?

Communism kept a lot of places artifically poor.
    Yes, as you’ve pointed out before places like the Czech Republic or Slovenia SHOULD be as affluent as Western Europe. For multiple reasons

It was Moscow which kept them down and desperate
    Partly, but also this is a form of copium.

Britain had some of the highest standards of living in the world before the War, so this kind of mass sorpasso of the North can’t just be handwaved away.
    London and the South, yes. Economic changes after 1920 were devastating for the parts of the UK that depended upon mining, shipbuilding, heavy industry, like the North East, South Wales, Clydeside, and other industrialised areas.
    That’s true, but

a) the Midlands were one of the richest parts of the UK until the 1970s

b) I’m willing to put a small bet on say, Newcastle, being a wealthier city (per person) than, say, Warsaw, throughout the entire 20th century.

If someone knew how to find the stats.
    It would have been, I'm sure. But, pre-War it would certainly have been poorer than a city like Prague or Riga.
    Prague maybe.
    But we forget how “rich” the UK was.

I think there was a moment in the 30s when British GDP PP surpassed the United States, which was busy having a Depression.
    Real incomes in the UK didn't surpass their 1918 level in the UK until 1938. It's quite possible, though, that we overook the USA briefly, because their hit from the Depression was worse. It was the War, far more than the New Deal that rescued the US economy. US GDP per head in 1946 was probably double the level of a decade previously.
  • Options

Could be a really good finish in the ladies' cricket

England need 102 from 15 overs with 5 wickets remaining

Now 73 from 10 with 4 wickets
    59 from 8 with 3 wickets
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

@Leon when have I ever said that I’m not returning to the UK? Indeed, the plan was to “do three years”.

I am alternately charmed and horrified by the US, albeit I have upstate New York for July so currently more charmed.

You’ve said several times you have no desire to return to our Brexity toilet and you are looking to retire somewhere like north Portugal etc

And your endless and relentless negativity about the UK does not speak of someone yearning to set up home in Sussex, Stoke or Stornaway
    I don’t think I’ve ever said “I’ve no desire to return”, because that was never the plan.

Sussex is v nice in parts. I’ve never been to Stornaway but I suspect the isolation would be difficult for me. I doubt anyone actively wishes to retire in Stoke.

This is a large world and I doubt I’ll be retiring to a single place.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    If it wasn't for that last over of the Australian innings this would be over. As it is very slight advantage Australia but seriously close.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,611

Novax hiding in the loo? :lol:

5-1 to Alcaraz in the 3rd set

Can Djokovic escape from Alcaraz?
    Or will he be given the bird, man?
  • Options

Anyone heard of the 79th New York (Scottish) Highlanders? They had sporrans and everything.

I had heard of them, although I know little about them. I think there were several Irish regiments too.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Germans knocked down virtually the whole city in 1944, so the Poles had to re-build from scratch.
    At least the Poles did it properly instead of building brutalist concrete monstrosities. It certainly looks better than Coventry.
    Can’t argue with that. I wish we’d had the same good sense as much of Eastern Europe. Which has rebuilt its towns exactly as they were

We built hideous crap

Unfair. The City of London is a bewildering mix of brilliant and hideous. At its best it is an absolutely exhilarating mix of the old and new unmatched in the world. Recall that to the right of this photo is a 2000 year old Roman Wall and an entirely intact 1000 year old Norman fortress

• Options

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

What is a shame is that you seem to be trying to revisit grievances from five years ago.

As I say above, your particular, badly-informed demographic (ie “leavers”) are now on the out, their moment of chaotic ineptitude is closing, and they wont be asked for their opinion while the rest of us get on and try to figure out what’s next.
    Not at all - the grievance is that too many in the media and chattering classes are relentless negative rather than trying to improve things. That is today.

As for your attempt to say that people who vote for the losing side in an election!should be ignored… well didn’t Obama say “there are no red states or blue states, only American states”?

Of course they will accept that (as seems likely) there will be a Labour-led government. That doesn’t mean they have no voice on individual policy issues. It just means that the government is likely to win most votes in parliament
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

When did you last go to the City? It’s one of the most magical urban environments in the world

• Options
    DavidL said:

If it wasn't for that last over of the Australian innings this would be over. As it is very slight advantage Australia but seriously close.

That's it. Aussies to win.

@DavidL has spoken.

(Besides, we're down to the two rabbits and a ferret.)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,636

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

When did you last go to the City? It’s one of the most magical urban environments in the world

The tower blocks are TOO CLOSE TOGETHER :lol:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Unfair. The City of London is a bewildering mix of brilliant and hideous. At its best it is an absolutely exhilarating mix of the old and new unmatched in the world. Recall that to the right of this photo is a 2000 year old Roman Wall and an entirely intact 1000 year old Norman fortress

That's a view towards Southwark, not the City :)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,690
    Thanks @Carnyx and @LostPassword for explaining about Welsh Cakes. No, I have never had them. I feel deprived.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,069

I hadn’t realised they wore my clan kilt. https://beauforthistorymuseum.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/79th_highlanders_short_history.pdf
  • Options

Thanks @Carnyx and @LostPassword for explaining about Welsh Cakes. No, I have never had them. I feel deprived.

Good grief.

You have been.

Well made Welsh cakes are absolutely gorgeous. Best eaten hot off the griddle.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

At street level absolutely. It’s incredible. But the skyline is a bit of a mess. Sometimes great sometimes downright ugly

Trying to preserve St Paul’s sight lines has meant the skyscrapers are massively clustered together with too much density. However one single super tall skyscraper in the middle would solve this and give the whole City a pleasing pyramidality. We just need to get rid of the stupid health and safety block on towers over 1000ft
  • Options
    England need 38 from 5 overs, 3 wickets remaining

Sciver-Brunt on 85, Glenn on 16
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,690
    ydoethur said:

Good grief.

You have been.

Well made Welsh cakes are absolutely gorgeous. Best eaten hot off the griddle.
    :disappointed:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,211
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

A//

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city

Reality

Leon said:

Otherwise, I agree.
    Is it this? https://nansledan.com/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL has spoken.

So long as NSB is there there is a chance but Glen is burning up too many with dots.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

At street level absolutely. It’s incredible. But the skyline is a bit of a mess. Sometimes great sometimes downright ugly
    A fair reflection of humanity then

• Options

Leon said:

I don’t think I’ve ever said “I’ve no desire to return”, because that was never the plan.

Sussex is v nice in parts. I’ve never been to Stornaway but I suspect the isolation would be difficult for me. I doubt anyone actively wishes to retire in Stoke.

I’ve decided I’m not retiring anywhere. Just travel til I drop. The whole retiring thing is like setting up an antechamber to death. No ta
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL has spoken.

So long as NSB is there there is a chance but Glen is burning up too many with dots.
    Yes, there is a difference between nine an over required and three an over scored.

26 off that over as you say has made a big difference.

Edit - didn't realise it was at the Whateveritisthisweek Bowl as well. Three sixes in an over there is *very* impressive.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Having just dissed twentieth century architecture, I am today, for complicated reasons, spending 9 hours on a minibus from Manchester to Kings College London and back. For unclear reasons, the driver appears to be eschewing all opportunities to head for the M1, and we are heading out via the A40. We have just passed the Hoover building andmy spirits were lifted immensely. I wouldn't replace Warsaw's old town with it, but I'm pleased to see some really good C20 architecture.
    Presumably we'll now be heading home via the M40. How exciting. Maybe we'll see Red Kites.

We DID see red kites!
    Going NW from Bucks to Oxon on the M40 is one if my favourite spots on the motorway network. The landscape opens up suddenly, and it feels like arriving in a brand new realm. And you sometimes get to see quite a lot of rare and magnificent birds.
    No one else on the minibus seemed that excited.
  • Options

Alcaraz breaks the Novax serve early in the third set!

So Novax is wasting time in order for Alcaraz to develop cramp (like he did in Paris against Djokovic).

It's cheating, plain and simple.
    Just part of the learning experience for the kid.
    Who seems utterly unbothered by it.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,716
    Form that poll of Conservative MPs on Friday:

Half of Tory MPs say Brexit has been more of a success than failure

Con MPs
    More success: 47%
    More failure: 20%
    Neither: 27%

All MPs
    More success: 27%
    More failure: 52%
    Neither: 17%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1679756616600543232
  • Options

Exotic uniforms were all the rage for American regiments in the early day of US Civil War, continuing antebellum trend for militia units in Northern AND Southern states.

Units garbed - at the start of conflict anyway - in Highland style, were way outnumbered by those dressed in imitation of French North African Zouaves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zouave

My guess is that Zouave get-up being kinder to guys with bad knees than Caledonian fashion!

Pretty quickly most fancy uniforms were relegated to formal parades. Instead, soldiers would frequently place emblems on their caps (kepi) or hats (wide-brim slouch).

For example, customary for Irish regiments to sport "a sprig of green".

Another example was the black hats worn by the Union army's "Iron Brigade" which were a sight NOT welcomed by the Rebs on any battlefield. As in, "oh shit, it's them Black hat bastards again!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Brigade
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,295
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

The UK will not rejoin the EU, because the EU wouldn't have us. The last thing they want is an awkward flip flopping member.

I'm not actually sure that's true. They always loved our money, and we'd undoubtedly be huge net contributors again if we were idiotic enough to rejoin. And they'd love the prestige boost of us admitting that we made a mistake. And of course they'd love the increase in power that 70 million people and more nuclear weapons would give them.

What they probably wouldn't do is enter into negotiations if they thought that the final deal would have to be approved by a referendum here, as it probably would be - they've always hated democracy.
    I disagree.

We were awkward numbers when we were members. Why would you want to invite someone into the club who is going to cause you much hassle.

Also, it only takes one to veto. I can see why the Dutch or the Poles might want us in, but why would the French?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

A//

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city

Reality

Leon said:

Otherwise, I agree.
    No, it looks fake because they used classic styling without a deeper understanding of local vernacular, and because - apart from the design - it’s built as a modern, car-bound commuter suburb.

The public spaces were (and maybe still are) dead.

Hopefully Newquay is better.
    I had a chance to buy a flat in Poundbury, around here: https://goo.gl/maps/obnUhHLRinCATaec8

Didn't take it. Damn.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The UK will not rejoin the EU, because the EU wouldn't have us. The last thing they want is an awkward flip flopping member.

It is entirely possible, however, that the UK and the EU grow closer over time.

I don’t think this is true.

A UK that wants to rejoin will by definition be less flip-floppy.

You also make the classic Brexity mistake of assuming the EU is a single entity with a single will.
    I agree that is a common Brexit misconception. But it plays more to my point than yours.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,052
    Been watching the Tour de France and tennis rather than PB today so apologies for coming to this late.

The last part of TSE's thread header is just plain wrong. Brexit is nothing like prohibition. Alcohol didn't change between 1920 and 1933 and most importantly most people didn't stop drinking it. As a result it was a simple process to revoke it.

The EU (unlike alcohol) is ever evolving and usually in ways that will not appeal to voters when they are faced with the new reality. Moreover, the actual process of reversing Brexit will be even more complex, divisive and costly than either originally joining or leaving. Most politicians for decades to come are going to look at it and go 'no thanks'.

So what will we rejoin in 20 or 30 years if we are asked the question? Who knows. Certainly none of the rejoiners advocating a reversal now and indeed none of the Brexiteers either.

What I do think (hope) will happen is that we will join the EEA via EFTA. Once we do that a huge amount of the pressure to rejoin the EU will disappear.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm not actually sure that's true. They always loved our money, and we'd undoubtedly be huge net contributors again if we were idiotic enough to rejoin. And they'd love the prestige boost of us admitting that we made a mistake. And of course they'd love the increase in power that 70 million people and more nuclear weapons would give them.

What they probably wouldn't do is enter into negotiations if they thought that the final deal would have to be approved by a referendum here, as it probably would be - they've always hated democracy.
    I disagree.

We were awkward numbers when we were members. Why would you want to invite someone into the club who is going to cause you much hassle.

Also, it only takes one to veto. I can see why the Dutch or the Poles might want us in, but why would the French?
    And many other countries. Eg the Maltese are gaining from being one of the only English speaking countries in the EU along with Ireland. If the UK returned - bang goes that significant advantage for a small country
  • Options
    England need 29 from 3 with 3 wickets remaining
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Having lived there for several years, I agree the City is magical - but ferret mode is necessary.

I am not aware of too many places where wandering around and exploring reveals quite so much. I'm reminded of the tiny arcaded Fountain courtyard of St-Vedast-Alias-Foster (opposite St Pauls), where I wandered in one day and discovered an Epstein Relief of a former Canon, or the original Mansion House 9000 phone (where the Samaritans were founded by the Curate Chad Varah) in a display case in another city church.
  • Options

England need 29 from 3 with 3 wickets remaining a miracle

FTFY
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

The beer is excellent

Again, you travel to weird, wonderful and beautiful places, and ruin every photograph by putting yourself in it. You are not interesting. Your beer is not interesting. The table is not interesting. Take your uninteresting self out of the photo and photograph the background. You will never be an artist until you learn to do this.

Au contraire.
    The quantity and variety of Leon’s alcoholic intake is a source of constant wonder.
  • Options
    Sciver-Brunt on to 96..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,919
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Trying to preserve St Paul’s sight lines has meant the skyscrapers are massively clustered together with too much density. However one single super tall skyscraper in the middle would solve this and give the whole City a pleasing pyramidality. We just need to get rid of the stupid health and safety block on towers over 1000ft
    One thing the city does is knock down and rebuild. One architect whinned that “important” building are lost - ie instead of shit buildings being preserved forever, they get replaced.

A part of this is the ding dong struggle between the City and Canary Wharf for office quality and price - not forgetting amenities like shops and pubs.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,052

Brexit is estimated to have cost 5.5% of GDP so far (some think it a bit lower, some higher).

That really is a fuck-ton when you think about the state of the country’s finances and you wonder why Britain doesn’t seem to be able to afford anything anymore.

Re-entry into the Single Market, seems inevitable.

The problem is that Britain is now a significant rule-taker, and nothing short of Rejoin really fixes that.
    Brexit has resulted in an astonishing loss of meaningful sovereignty.

Hahahaha.

You are deluded if you think being a member of the EU made us anything other than a rule taker anyway. That is the whole point of QMV. We don't get to choose.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Sorry, because "the skyline is a bit of a mess", the City is ugly?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

You never visited Coventry ?
  • Options

My Welshness of choice would be bara brith, but if we all had it the world supply of sultanas would vanish.
    https://bakingwithgranny.co.uk/recipe/bara-brith/
  • Options
    Last over, England need 15
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

The beer is excellent

Again, you travel to weird, wonderful and beautiful places, and ruin every photograph by putting yourself in it. You are not interesting. Your beer is not interesting. The table is not interesting. Take your uninteresting self out of the photo and photograph the background. You will never be an artist until you learn to do this.

Au contraire.
    The quantity and variety of Leon’s alcoholic intake is a source of constant wonder.
    Constant something, certainly.
  • Options
    Hmmm... Novax breaks Alcaraz in the fourth set: 3-2.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.
    Maybe all the buzz happens in the ex-Prussian parts, and Cracow.
    Almost all of modern Poland is 'ex-Prussian.' The Russians nicked the rest in 1945.

But there are no Prussians living there. They were expelled in 1946.
    Pungent PB pundit alert!

Both these assertions are NOT really correct:

> while Soviets did "nick" much of pre-WWI Russian Poland (absorbed by Belorussian SSR and Ukrainian SSR) note that USSR did NOT annex Warsaw and other major areas that were under the Czar in 1914.

> as for the rest of today's Poland, "almost all" was NOT Prussian and part of German Empire, for example Cracow and western Galicia.

> and re: "no Prussians living" in 3rd-millennium Poland, well there aren't many ethnic Germans but also NOT zero; the 2011 census the German minority = 148k.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,156
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’ve decided I’m not retiring anywhere. Just travel til I drop. The whole retiring thing is like setting up an antechamber to death. No ta
    Disagree. Been retired now for twenty years from a job I thoroughly enjoyed and we have taken the chance to travel, get involved in local affairs etc.
    it’s by no means as good now due to spinal problems but in spite of what I posted yesterday I’m still usually positive!
  • Options
    I enjoyed that cricket match
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

I disagree.

Why wouldn't the French especially?

It's not clear that the UK would be such a big net contributor - if the UK does much worse than the EU economically over the next 15 years then a hypothetically rejoining UK might not contribute so much net. If the UK doesn't do much worse then no real pressure to rejoin.

But was Britain such an awkward member? Greece has caused a lot bigger headaches for the euro. Hungary and Poland are bigger problems now if the EU wants to have shared democratic values.

I think it's pretty unlikely the UK will rejoin any time soon, but it's not completely implausible - unlike, say, Turkey joining.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.
    Almost all of modern Poland is 'ex-Prussian.' The Russians nicked the rest in 1945.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

> while Soviets did "nick" much of pre-WWI Russian Poland (absorbed by Belorussian SSR and Ukrainian SSR) note that USSR did NOT annex Warsaw and other major areas that were under the Czar in 1914.

> as for the rest of today's Poland, "almost all" was NOT Prussian and part of German Empire, for example Cracow and western Galicia.

> and re: "no Prussians living" in 3rd-millennium Poland, well there aren't many ethnic Germans but also NOT zero; the 2011 census the German minority = 148k.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Over half of all modern Poland was part of Prussia before 1914. 130,000km2 that was Poland was seized by the Soviets (along with a small exclave of Prussia).

Also, the 148,000 Germans will almost all have come after Poland joined the EU. The expulsion in the 1940s was thorough. So there would be no 'Prussians' left.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,069
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ah, but, your job is like other peoples retirement - travel, drinking, posting rubbish on PB! You just get paid for it!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,541

Brexit is estimated to have cost 5.5% of GDP so far (some think it a bit lower, some higher).

That really is a fuck-ton when you think about the state of the country’s finances and you wonder why Britain doesn’t seem to be able to afford anything anymore.

Re-entry into the Single Market, seems inevitable.

The problem is that Britain is now a significant rule-taker, and nothing short of Rejoin really fixes that.
    Brexit has resulted in an astonishing loss of meaningful sovereignty.

Hahahaha.

You are deluded if you think being a member of the EU made us anything other than a rule taker anyway. That is the whole point of QMV. We don't get to choose.
    I accept your Brexit. You said it might be s*** but your perceived return of sovereignty is fair enough a reason to encourage a leave vote. I don't agree, but it is a good enough justification for me.

The ones that get my goat are those lying toerags like Johnson who sold Brexit as being an economic opportunity.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

I have no idea what you are talking about. Over half of all modern Poland was part of Prussia before 1914. 130,000km2 that was Poland was seized by the Soviets (along with a small exclave of Prussia).

Also, the 148,000 Germans will almost all have come after Poland joined the EU. The expulsion in the 1940s was thorough. So there would be no 'Prussians' left.
    The southern parts of today's Poland were Austrian pre-1918. Cracow, west Galicia etc. They were NOT Prussian!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

"almost all" isnt the same as "over half"?
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

I disagree.

It's not clear that the UK would be such a big net contributor - if the UK does much worse than the EU economically over the next 15 years then a hypothetically rejoining UK might not contribute so much net. If the UK doesn't do much worse then no real pressure to rejoin.

But was Britain such an awkward member? Greece has caused a lot bigger headaches for the euro. Hungary and Poland are bigger problems now if the EU wants to have shared democratic values.

I think it's pretty unlikely the UK will rejoin any time soon, but it's not completely implausible - unlike, say, Turkey joining.
    Why wouldn't the French? Because they don't like us.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Interestingly, I'm currently reading Stuart Maconie's "The Full English". His politics aside, I can find a lot to agree with Stuart Maconie on - but in his chapter on Coventry he makes the rather unusual claim that Coventry's post-ww2 rebuulding was done much better that Dresden's, because Dresden rebuilt all it's beautiful old buildings and Cov looked to the future. It's a bold opinion.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Having lived there for several years, I agree the City is magical - but ferret mode is necessary.

I am not aware of too many places where wandering around and exploring reveals quite so much. I'm reminded of the tiny arcaded Fountain courtyard of St-Vedast-Alias-Foster (opposite St Pauls), where I wandered in one day and discovered an Epstein Relief of a former Canon, or the original Mansion House 9000 phone (where the Samaritans were founded by the Curate Chad Varah) in a display case in another city church.
    My 2nd favorite spot in The City is The Monument.

Climbed to the top, and got a nice view south of the river. Sadly, other directions cluttered with modern brutalism (or close enough) that either blocked or fucked up the view.

Still have the certificate - framed - I was given after I climbed back down.

My #1 fave is Old Bailey. Which is (or at least was) a dump both outside and in. However, greatly enjoyed spectacle of Lord Archer on trial, in London's premier theatre!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

Until the end of WWII, there were no uncontested borders - hence the title of Timothy Snyder’s history ‘Bloodlands’.
    The Polish intellectuals in exile after WWII realised that having their own nation back was considerably more important than arguing over historical claims.

Germany came to similar conclusions.

Putin, of course, is still in thrall to such delusions.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,890
    This we lost 5.5% gdp is frankly bollocks

EU GDP 2019 2020 2021 2022
    15692 15370 17187 16641
    % 0% -2% +11.8% -3%

source https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/gdp#:~:text=GDP in European Union averaged,503.70 USD Billion in 1966.

uk gdp 2019 2020 2021 2022
    2857 2703 3122 3070
    % 0% -5.5% +15.5% -1.7%

source https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp#:~:text=GDP in the United Kingdom,73.23 USD Billion in 1960.

Total change since 2019

EU +6%

UK +7.4%

Before spouting shit about this supposed loss of 5.5% gdp please explain why the UK should have grown by 7.4%+the mythical 5.5% when the eu didn't even manage 7.4%

The 5.5% is a made up counter factual no one can prove spouted by remainers to make them feel like they were right.

I used actual figures included the sources not a number that some shit for brains economist plucked out of thin air and remainers jumped on
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

A//

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city

Reality

Leon said:

Otherwise, I agree.
    Is it this? https://nansledan.com/
    That's it!
  • Options
    Novax takes the 4th set 6-3.

2-2 in sets now!

5th and decisive set incoming!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

The southern parts of today's Poland were Austrian pre-1918. Cracow, west Galicia etc. They were NOT Prussian!
    They’re a large slab of the region that everyone has some sort of historical claim to. It’s all bullshit.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

15692 15370 17187 16641
    % 0% -2% +11.8% -3%

source https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/gdp#:~:text=GDP in European Union averaged,503.70 USD Billion in 1966.

2857 2703 3122 3070
    % 0% -5.5% +15.5% -1.7%

source https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp#:~:text=GDP in the United Kingdom,73.23 USD Billion in 1960.

Total change since 2019

EU +6%

UK +7.4%

Before spouting shit about this supposed loss of 5.5% gdp please explain why the UK should have grown by 7.4%+the mythical 5.5% when the eu didn't even manage 7.4%

The 5.5% is a made up counter factual no one can prove spouted by remainers to make them feel like they were right.

I used actual figures included the sources not a number that some shit for brains economist plucked out of thin air and remainers jumped on

It is worth noting that we were substantially outperforming the rest of the EU while we were members.

(Although I grant you that it is highly unlikely that we're anywhere near 5% behind where would be had Brexit not happened.)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

I disagree.

Why wouldn't the French? Because they don't like us.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We built hideous crap

Interestingly, I'm currently reading Stuart Maconie's "The Full English". His politics aside, I can find a lot to agree with Stuart Maconie on - but in his chapter on Coventry he makes the rather unusual claim that Coventry's post-ww2 rebuulding was done much better that Dresden's, because Dresden rebuilt all it's beautiful old buildings and Cov looked to the future. It's a bold opinion.
    If Coventry is the future, you can keep it. Sorry.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Disagree. Been retired now for twenty years from a job I thoroughly enjoyed and we have taken the chance to travel, get involved in local affairs etc.
    it’s by no means as good now due to spinal problems but in spite of what I posted yesterday I’m still usually positive!
    Keep on giving 'em hell, OKC!

BTW, when you're feeling better, suggest you visit OKC = Oklahoma City.

Might be able to get a free drink or more based on your moniker! Also, one of the few places in the world where you can see working oil wells pumping away on the grounds of the local capitol building.

https://midwestwanderer.com/oklahoma-state-capitol/

A YouTube "expert" derides OK capitol building for this; methinks he's full of something other than prime crude.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,272
    Pagan2 said:

15692 15370 17187 16641
    % 0% -2% +11.8% -3%

2857 2703 3122 3070
    % 0% -5.5% +15.5% -1.7%

Total change since 2019

EU +6%

UK +7.4%

I assume GardenWalker's 5.5% is the doppelganger nonsense, but he doesn't actually specify. The doppelganger model which is built upon the UK's economy being most like the US's, and not much like Europe's. Followed by a huge American boom. Bingo, Britain "falls behind".

As you point out it's rather unlikely that, had we not left the EU, we would have grown markedly faster than any other major western european nation.

The IMF predict we will grow faster than all european G7 members in the next few years anyway:

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

They’re a large slab of the region that everyone has some sort of historical claim to. It’s all bullshit.
    But it is a historical fact that:

In 1914:

Prussia (or Germany if you prefer) had Pomerania, Silesia and east Prussia, plus Danzig
    Russia had the central bit around Warsaw
    Austria had Cracow and Galicia
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

15692 15370 17187 16641
    % 0% -2% +11.8% -3%

2857 2703 3122 3070
    % 0% -5.5% +15.5% -1.7%

Total change since 2019

EU +6%

UK +7.4%

It is worth noting that we were substantially outperforming the rest of the EU while we were members.

(Although I grant you that it is highly unlikely that we're anywhere near 5% behind where would be had Brexit not happened.)
    Which is my point someone pulled the 5.5% figure out of their butt and now some people quote it like its gospel truth. Now yes maybe our gdp might be better if we had stayed in, maybe it wouldnt, maybe we would be more or less the same. Stating we have lost 5.5 % as a fact though is bollocks
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712

2-2 in sets now!

So who are you betting on Sunil?
  • Options
    (Worth saying that this is all about GDP. GDP per capita may be a different story, considering e.g Japan vs UK)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,426
    Leon said:

StornOway.
    Though I notice my IPad autocorrects to Stornaway.

When I were a lad there was a thing for made up silly/amusing book titles and their authors, one of which was Nail in the Bannister by R S Stornoway.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

15692 15370 17187 16641
    % 0% -2% +11.8% -3%

2857 2703 3122 3070
    % 0% -5.5% +15.5% -1.7%

Total change since 2019

EU +6%

UK +7.4%

I assume GardenWalker's 5.5% is the doppelganger nonsense, but he doesn't actually specify. The doppelganger model which is built upon the UK's economy being most like the US's, and not much like Europe's. Followed by a huge American boom. Bingo, Britain "falls behind".

As you point out it's rather unlikely that, had we not left the EU, we would have grown markedly faster than any other major western european nation.

The IMF predict we will grow faster than all european G7 members in the next few years anyway:

The biggest component of the IMF's forecast is working age population.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

15692 15370 17187 16641
    % 0% -2% +11.8% -3%

2857 2703 3122 3070
    % 0% -5.5% +15.5% -1.7%

Total change since 2019

EU +6%

UK +7.4%

The biggest component of the IMF's forecast is working age population.
    Indeed - see my caveat above.
  • Options
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

"almost all" isnt the same as "over half"?
    But in support of Leon the Polish side of Usedom seemed noticeably scruffier and poorer than the German side when I visited 4 years ago, and that was definitely once Prussian!
  • Options
    For Oppenheimer fans, today is the anniversary of Trinity.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

In 1914:

Prussia (or Germany if you prefer) had Pomerania, Silesia and east Prussia, plus Danzig
    None of those then polities now exist.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

(Worth saying that this is all about GDP. GDP per capita may be a different story, considering e.g Japan vs UK)

Gardenwalker was saying gdp would have been 5.5% higher so I used GDP figures. I am sorry but remainers have the audacity to do that but claim brexit was built on lies. Both campaigns lied through their teeth and if they had been pinocchios the tips of their noses would have become extra solar. However I couldn't let that claim stand as if it was truth which was how it was presented. Simple fact is with counterfactuals you dont know unless you can run a parallel earth with both outcomes and given we cant even get a relatively simple thing like hs2 or track and trace coming in time and on budget I don't want to give that task to the public sector
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carrie Anne Moss never had the career she deserved... :)

[ducks]
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

The territory that Poland got in 1945/6 was a lot better than the territory it had to give up. Which did not stop both communists and nationalists (and most Polish communists were to a greater or lesser degree nationalists) being hugely unhappy, particularly as hundreds of thousands of Poles were deported from Western Ukraine.

Without the territorial gains to the West, Poland would have gone the same way as Yugoslavia, with its communist party breaking from Stalin.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Carrie Anne Moss never had the career she deserved... :)

[ducks]
    She at least got to keep the coat.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

In 1914:

Russia and Germany still exist?
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Nigelb said:

But of course it is a Christmas movie
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Imperial-Partition-of-Poland-1815-1914-This-map-is-partly-based-on-the-following-source_fig1_361137779

And this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_minority_in_Poland

After the flight and expulsion of Germans from Poland, the largest of a series of flights and expulsions of Germans in Europe during and after World War II, over 1 million former citizens of Germany were naturalized and granted Polish citizenship. Some of them were forced to stay in Poland, while others wanted to stay because these territories were inhabited by their families for hundreds of years. The lowest estimate by West German Schieder commission of 1953, is that 910,000 former German citizens were granted Polish citizenship by 1950.[19] Higher estimates say that 1,043,550[20] or 1,165,000[21][22] were naturalized as Polish citizens by 1950.

However, the vast majority of those people were the so-called "autochthons" who were allowed to stay in post-war Poland after declaring Polish ethnicity in a special verification process.[23] Therefore, most of them were inhabitants of Polish descent of the pre-war border regions of Upper Silesia and Warmia-Masuria. Sometimes they were called Wasserpolnisch or Wasserpolak. Despite their ethnic background, they were allowed to reclaim their former German citizenship on application and under German Basic Law were "considered as not having been deprived of their German citizenship if they have established their domicile in Germany after May 8, 1945 and have not expressed a contrary intention."[24] Because of this fact many of them left the People's Republic of Poland due to its undemocratic political system and economic problems.[25]

It is estimated that, in the Cold War era, hundreds of thousands of Polish citizens decided to emigrate to West Germany and, to a lesser extent, to East Germany.[26][27][28] Despite that, hundreds or tens of thousands of former German citizens remained in Poland. Some of them created families with other Poles, who, in the vast majority, were settlers from central Poland or were resettled from the former eastern territories of Poland by the Soviets to the Recovered Territories (Former eastern territories of Germany).
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

In 1914:

Russia and Germany still exist?
    Not as they then were, no.

Old imperial claims count for less than nothing today.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,173
    edited July 2023

Definitely the one acceptable form of cakeism, recomneding the best ones.

Not something that can be exported, though, thje experience of eating fresh ones from the bakery at Crucywel when walking along the Brecon Canal.
  • Options

2-2 in sets now!

So who are you betting on Sunil?
    I "want" Alcaraz to win, but it's gonna be close!
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city

Reality

What is this stuff about Remoaners? I voted Leave; my complaint is that our government is insisting on shooting the country in the foot through restrictive planning, while Poland has increased its GDP PP by 10x in thirty years. I think we should look at what they've done, which clearly works, instead of continuing our suicidal build-nothing policy. What exactly do you disagree with?
    We can’t copy a country which began with a GDP per capita of $3000 or whatever. The situations are entirely different. They played catch up, assisted by the EU and the end of communism, and with a very poorly paid but quite well educated population. Good for them

Unless you are suggesting we build car factories where we can pay people £2 an hour to undercut France and Germany?

Communism kept a lot of places artifically poor.
    Our planning restrictions keep a lot of places artificially poor! That's what happens when the government intervenes to kneecap industry!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the capital city
    I’m not a Polish expert.

Pungent PB pundit alert!

The territory that Poland got in 1945/6 was a lot better than the territory it had to give up. Which did not stop both communists and nationalists (and most Polish communists were to a greater or lesser degree nationalists) being hugely unhappy, particularly as hundreds of thousands of Poles were deported from Western Ukraine.

Without the territorial gains to the West, Poland would have gone the same way as Yugoslavia, with its communist party breaking from Stalin.
    I've met a few descendants of Poles from western Ukraine whose parents and grandparents were "transferred" to what's now western Poland. Hard transition for them.

Also know a guy (works for my landlord) who is an ethnic German immigrant, who was born and raised in post-WW2 Poland.
This discussion has been closed.