Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can the LDs become the third party once again? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,762
edited July 2023 in General
imageCan the LDs become the third party once again? – politicalbetting.com

An interesting element of the next election on which Ladbrokes have a market is whether the LDs can win more seats than the SNP. The bookie rates this being the case as being tighter than evens.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,925
    edited July 2023
    @MikeSmithson - Somertom, surely?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,790
    If the Tories carry on like they are the LDs might become the 2nd party (one can dream).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,278
    edited July 2023
    Not if Labour win seats like Mid Bedfordshire.

That said, there’s nothing I’d personally like more than an SNP implosion. I don’t like those who wish to break up the country, and have many family and friends in Scotland.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,027
    It's not just PMQs (as the header notes, two questions a week against one every blue moon) but also invitations to Question Time and invitations to comment on news and current events generally.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,676
    edited July 2023
    Tory donor accused of using bullying legal threats to suppress a report
    David Davis said Mohamed Amersi ‘silenced’ Margaret Hodge, chair of parliamentary anti-corruption group
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/03/tory-donor-accused-of-using-bullying-legal-threats-to-suppress-a-report

Carter Ruck, naturally.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,967
    edited July 2023
    When boyhood's fire was in my blood
    I read of ancient freemen.
    Of Greece and Rome who proudly stood,
    Three hundred men and three men.
    And there I prayed I yet might see
    Our fetters rent in twain
    The Lib Dems, long a joke should be
    A party once again

(With apologies to Dominic Behan as arranged by Sean O'Riada)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,562
    On current polls the LDs should gain about 35 Tory seats, which with the 14 MPs they currently have would take them close to 50 seats.

Given the SNP are forecast to fall to about 30 seats then the LDs could certainly become the 3rd party UK wide again for the first time since 2015
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That said, there’s nothing I’d personally like more than an SNP implosion. I don’t like those who wish to break up the country, and have many family and friends in Scotland.

Mid Bedfordshire is not even in the top 100 LD target seats
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,496

It's not just PMQs (as the header notes, two questions a week against one every blue moon) but also invitations to Question Time and invitations to comment on news and current events generally.

Quite right; the exclusion of the LibDems from such programmes has been scandalous, especially when looks at the time given to the Faragists and similar potential demagogues.

And Good Morning to one and all.
    Agreed. It's not been fair on the LDs, and reflects very badly on the primitive procedures of the HoC.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    edited July 2023
    It might sound implausible given their ideological differences, but my MP, Brendan Clarke-Smith has announced he'll be supporting Ben Bradley's bid for the East Midlands mayoralty.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,413
    "The third party at Westminster is allowed two questions every week at PMQs. The fourth party gets one every five weeks so this is very important."

Feels like maybe the fourth party should be given slightly more questions.

I wondered who the fourth party has been historically.

1959: the only fourth party was a solitary independent Conservative
    1964: no fourth party
    1966: Republican Labour (with 1 MP)
    1970: Unity (with 2 MPs)
    Feb 1974: UUP/SNP tie
    Oct 1974: SNP
    1979-2001: UUP
    2005: DUP
    2010: DUP
    2015: LibDem/DUP tie (who got the question?)
    2017 onwards: LibDem
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.
    I expect the Lib Dems and not Labour would take Mid Beds at a by-election, no matter the result of that "Opinium" poll. They'd hoover the theoretical? independent candidates' votes for starters.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    A really important (and long) piece, outside the paywall, about press freedom from Fraser Nelson.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/02/fraser-nelson-jeremy-clarkson-ipso-press-regulator-ruling/

No matter one’s opinions about the characters involved in the recent IPSO decision, do we respect freedom of the press, or do we regulate the media by loud activist groups?

I was very critical of the political media, and their bosses, during the pandemic, and continue to think that politics is debased, and good people don’t stand for election, because of the media environment - but also that freedom of the press is a mark of a democratic western society, and if powerful people can force opinions and jokes to be silenced there’s a big problem.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Quite right; the exclusion of the LibDems from such programmes has been scandalous, especially when looks at the time given to the Faragists and similar potential demagogues.

Agreed. It's not been fair on the LDs, and reflects very badly on the primitive procedures of the HoC.
    I suppose the problem is, there are eleven recognised parties in the House of Commons: Tories, Labour, SNP, DUP, Sinn Fein (sort of) Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru, SDLP, Alliance, Greens and Reclaim (sort of).

If each of them had two questions for the leader, plus six for Labour less 2 for SF that's 22 questions. That's a lot to cram in and get backbenchers in too.

Even if you said they must have at least five MPs, that still leaves 12 to get in. Not much room for more.

So the line has to be drawn somewhere. It may be unfair on the Lib Dems but ultimately you could make a case it was their own fault they collapsed so much (they were not actually forced to support the disastrous Browne report).
  • Options
    FPT:
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Any Scottish independence referendum should give Orkney and the Shetlands an escape clause.
    As in, escape to Norway?
    Many in Scotland complained of being dragged out of the EU against their will. Likewise, the people of O&S should not be dragged out of the UK against their will, should Scotland vote for independence. In that eventuality, they should be given the option to stay in the UK or to chart another path separate to the rest of Scotland.
    Just Orkney and Shetland? No other parts that might be given the same clause?
    The Scottish nationalists argue that Scotland has a historical identity that means it should get a special status in a way, that, say Cumbria doesn’t. O&S have a historical identity that warrant a special status in a different way to the rest of Scotland.
    Given that Scotland does have a legal and national identity *at present* that is a distinct misapprehension. That reflects history, but does not directly depend on a historical identity.

Illogical for you to demand that a referendum for independence for Scotland includes the instant breakup of the new state. Also illogical for youy to demand that voters vote on a second order event when they don't know the result of the first one. Makes much more sense for Orcadians to vote on their own independence when they see what the landscape is like, which is fine with me. And "Britain" does have a history of trying to sabotage independence by Partition, which is what you sound like, rightly or wrongly.

The Orkney complaints, in any case, seem to centre on the current situation and are not to do with independence for Scotland per se. They seem to centre in part on the fact that the Shetlanders are getting more money. Presumably this reflects the relative deals struck by the then local authorities and the oil companies etc., and I can't see that the Shetlanders can be blamed for getting more oil/money in their areas.
    I was only suggesting an Orkney vote *after* a successful Scottish independence vote, so I think that means we are in agreement.

Yes, Britain (including England and Scotland) has sought to sabotage independence movements. I think there’s a limit to the applicability of the history of the disassembling of a colonial Empire to the history of England and Scotland’s relationship.
    Indeed, we agree. But on the latter point, many a unionist instantly responds to indyref2 by proposing partition (e.g. PB passim). So it's still applicable in the semse of very much part of the universe of discourse.
    I think if you open the Pandora's box of changing constitutional settlements or claiming a certain identity should mean special rules, then all sorts of ideas spill out. Comments on PB are part of the cut and thrust of political discourse. It feels a bit weird to compare a post on PB to, say, the actual partition of India.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,211
    Sandpit said:

force opinions and jokes to be silenced there’s a big problem.

Weren't you all for beating the shit out of somebody because of the shirt they were wearing?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Weren't you all for beating the shit out of somebody because of the shirt they were wearing?
    Was somebody wearing a Max Verstappen T-shirt?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

(What I actually said, was that I would expect the very offensive football shirt to be a defence against assault. Obviously a newspaper wouldn’t publish anything so offensive. The man wearing the shirt in question was charged with a criminal offence).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I suppose the problem is, there are eleven recognised parties in the House of Commons: Tories, Labour, SNP, DUP, Sinn Fein (sort of) Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru, SDLP, Alliance, Greens and Reclaim (sort of).

If each of them had two questions for the leader, plus six for Labour less 2 for SF that's 22 questions. That's a lot to cram in and get backbenchers in too.

Even if you said they must have at least five MPs, that still leaves 12 to get in. Not much room for more.

So the line has to be drawn somewhere. It may be unfair on the Lib Dems but ultimately you could make a case it was their own fault they collapsed so much (they were not actually forced to support the disastrous Browne report).
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that every party should get 2 questions, but the fourth party could get, say, a question every other week. That would address the issue without making PMQs unwieldy.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,211
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

(What I actually said, was that I would expect the very offensive football shirt to be a defence against assault. Obviously a newspaper wouldn’t publish anything so offensive. The man wearing the shirt in question was charged with a criminal offence).
    Neither is Walking Myocardial Infarction Clarkson. He's free to repeat his joke on Twitter or whatever so he's not being silenced.

You are still maintaining that Shirt Guy's freedom of expression ends where your feelings begin.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,609
    edited July 2023
    Good morning

On present public opinion I think it is quite likely the Lib Dems will overtake the SNP

However, with so much of today's political discourse the question is unlikely to be answered for 15 months or so, and that is a long time in politics

I doubt many of us would have predicted the political demise of both the conservative and SNP a couple of years ago

It is events that unexpectedly arise that play into the politics as we have had amply demonstrated
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,944
    edited July 2023

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Any Scottish independence referendum should give Orkney and the Shetlands an escape clause.
    As in, escape to Norway?
    Many in Scotland complained of being dragged out of the EU against their will. Likewise, the people of O&S should not be dragged out of the UK against their will, should Scotland vote for independence. In that eventuality, they should be given the option to stay in the UK or to chart another path separate to the rest of Scotland.
    The Scottish nationalists argue that Scotland has a historical identity that means it should get a special status in a way, that, say Cumbria doesn’t. O&S have a historical identity that warrant a special status in a different way to the rest of Scotland.
    Given that Scotland does have a legal and national identity *at present* that is a distinct misapprehension. That reflects history, but does not directly depend on a historical identity.

Illogical for you to demand that a referendum for independence for Scotland includes the instant breakup of the new state. Also illogical for youy to demand that voters vote on a second order event when they don't know the result of the first one. Makes much more sense for Orcadians to vote on their own independence when they see what the landscape is like, which is fine with me. And "Britain" does have a history of trying to sabotage independence by Partition, which is what you sound like, rightly or wrongly.

The Orkney complaints, in any case, seem to centre on the current situation and are not to do with independence for Scotland per se. They seem to centre in part on the fact that the Shetlanders are getting more money. Presumably this reflects the relative deals struck by the then local authorities and the oil companies etc., and I can't see that the Shetlanders can be blamed for getting more oil/money in their areas.
    I was only suggesting an Orkney vote *after* a successful Scottish independence vote, so I think that means we are in agreement.

Yes, Britain (including England and Scotland) has sought to sabotage independence movements. I think there’s a limit to the applicability of the history of the disassembling of a colonial Empire to the history of England and Scotland’s relationship.
    Indeed, we agree. But on the latter point, many a unionist instantly responds to indyref2 by proposing partition (e.g. PB passim). So it's still applicable in the semse of very much part of the universe of discourse.
    I think if you open the Pandora's box of changing constitutional settlements or claiming a certain identity should mean special rules, then all sorts of ideas spill out. Comments on PB are part of the cut and thrust of political discourse. It feels a bit weird to compare a post on PB to, say, the actual partition of India.
    The Orkney discussion however is about leaving the United Kingdom, not an independent Scotland.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Was somebody wearing a Max Verstappen T-shirt?
    The guy, James White, who turned up at the Cup Final with a Hillsborough-inspired Man U shirt - “97, NOT ENOUGH”.
    He was fined £1000 and banned for all football grounds for four years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hillsborough-tshirt-wembley-james-white-b2360131.html
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Some folk were reportedly all for beating the shit out of JSO protestors at the next Scalextric convention, without bothering the nice police, the nice judges, the evil defending lawyers and the evil juries.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

Neither is Walking Myocardial Infarction Clarkson. He's free to repeat his joke on Twitter or whatever so he's not being silenced.

You are still maintaining that Shirt Guy's freedom of expression ends where your feelings begin.
    Now there’s someone who didn’t read Fraser Nelson’s piece.

The subject of the article didn’t complain about it, only campaign groups - and THAT is the problem.

I wasn’t at Wembley for the cup final, and wouldn’t have been around MU fans if I was. He’s also bigger than me, I would have been somewhat unlikely to have actually assaulted him, but would have expected to use his offensive language in my defence if I had done. The magistrate fined him for causing grevious offence.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

The Orkney discussion however is about leaving the United Kingdom, not an independent Scotland.
    Indeed. The discussion has arisen before, but very much as applying Partition to the Scottish independence referendum. Slightly unusual for it to arise in this current context.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

How is that a defence against a charge for assault ?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,741
    HYUFD said:

On current polls the LDs should gain about 35 Tory seats, which with the 14 MPs they currently have would take them close to 50 seats.

Given the SNP are forecast to fall to about 30 seats then the LDs could certainly become the 3rd party UK wide again for the first time since 2015

A very sensible post, young HY. Well said!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

Indeed. The discussion has arisen before, but very much as applying Partition to the Scottish independence referendum. Slightly unusual for it to arise in this current context.
    Is it not the case that Orkney sees itself alienated from both Westminster and Holyrood and is seeking an independent relationship from both ?

My wife reminds me she was sent to Orkney to stay with relatives during the early years of the war
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.
    Which is irrelevant to the point ie the LDs would overtake the SNP even without the likes of Mid Beds
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Some folk were reportedly all for beating the shit out of JSO protestors at the next Scalextric convention, without bothering the nice police, the nice judges, the evil defending lawyers and the evil juries.
    That seems very implausible.

I mean, who thinks there are nice judges out there?
  • Options
    Tie mystery solved.

Christie says Trump and Biden are both past their ‘sell-by date’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4078484-christie-says-trump-and-biden-are-both-past-their-sell-by-date/
    ...Christie also told Dowd that he isn’t fazed with being a target of Trump’s latest insults, where he commented on the former governor’s weight, referring to him as “Sloppy Chris Christie.”
    “I’m not going to say it never bothers me,” Christie told the Times. “Trump is no Adonis, so coming from him? Who cares? Look in the mirror. I always thought it was very funny that he has this vision of himself. He told me one time the reason he ties his ties so long is that it slenderizes him and I should do the same thing.”..

• Options
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

A very sensible post, young HY. Well said!
    To be fair he can, on occasions, be sensible.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Tie mystery solved.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4078484-christie-says-trump-and-biden-are-both-past-their-sell-by-date/
    ...Christie also told Dowd that he isn’t fazed with being a target of Trump’s latest insults, where he commented on the former governor’s weight, referring to him as “Sloppy Chris Christie.”
    “I’m not going to say it never bothers me,” Christie told the Times. “Trump is no Adonis, so coming from him? Who cares? Look in the mirror. I always thought it was very funny that he has this vision of himself. He told me one time the reason he ties his ties so long is that it slenderizes him and I should do the same thing.”..

Oh is that why? I always assumed it was to hide his shortness in another area.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

It isn't, it's only mitigation. It's only a defence for murder charges, and in reality that's mitigation too (because it doesn't get you off, it downgrades it to manslaughter).
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.
    I expect the Lib Dems and not Labour would take Mid Beds at a by-election, no matter the result of that "Opinium" poll. They'd hoover the theoretical? independent candidates' votes for starters.
    The Independent candidate is an elected Independent councillor and chairman of Mid Beds council and extremely well know locally. I expect his vote will hold

https://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/politics/new-central-beds-council-chairman-to-contest-mid-bedfordshire-by-election-after-nadine-dorries-resignation-4179010
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

Provocation.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

Provocation.
    How is that a defence against a charge for assault?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

Is it not the case that Orkney sees itself alienated from both Westminster and Holyrood and is seeking an independent relationship from both ?

My wife reminds me she was sent to Orkney to stay with relatives during the early years of the war
    Mr Stockan claims so, which is not quite the same thing. I'm just wondering what has brought this on and what is in it for him or Orkney politically.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.
    The Independent candidate is an elected Independent councillor and chairman of Mid Beds council and extremely well know locally. I expect his vote will hold

https://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/politics/new-central-beds-council-chairman-to-contest-mid-bedfordshire-by-election-after-nadine-dorries-resignation-4179010
    The big problem for any indy at a by-election is that parties have activists flooding in from across the country, so you're completely drowned out.

So if very much not expect his vote to hold up.
  • Options
    Water is not the only utility...

Ex-Thames Water owner accused of ‘money-grabbing’ cuts to Cadent pension scheme
    Exclusive: Cadent Gas, owned by Australia asset manager Macquarie, is considering closing its defined benefit scheme
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/03/gmb-accuses-gas-network-of-money-grabbing-cuts-to-pension-scheme

Most interesting is this, which suggests the Thames Water game might be being played again.
    ...Last month, Cadent said that an increase in revenues had helped it record a £945m profit in the 2022-23 financial year, up from £685m the year before. It paid a £350m dividend to shareholders and had net debts of £7.4bn...

Why is another monopoly utility allowed to make such outsize profits ?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.

The big problem for any indy at a by-election is that parties have activists flooding in from across the country, so you're completely drowned out.

Only if you are not from the area and don't already have huge name recognition there, but he does
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,278

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.

One has to admire HYUFD for the research he puts in to his comments.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,893
    Sandpit said:

A really important (and long) piece, outside the paywall, about press freedom from Fraser Nelson.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/02/fraser-nelson-jeremy-clarkson-ipso-press-regulator-ruling/

No matter one’s opinions about the characters involved in the recent IPSO decision, do we respect freedom of the press, or do we regulate the media by loud activist groups?

I was very critical of the political media, and their bosses, during the pandemic, and continue to think that politics is debased, and good people don’t stand for election, because of the media environment - but also that freedom of the press is a mark of a democratic western society, and if powerful people can force opinions and jokes to be silenced there’s a big problem.

I am unconvinced by the regulator, the Sun and Fraser. What Fraser is actually saying is that the police and no-one else should be the regulator of opinion under hate crime law. This isn't going to happen as he well knows.

Read literally Clarkson's words may be properly read as incitement to a criminal offence - assault.

Suppose some writer in a paper had said, instead of the parading naked stuff, that "It would be a good idea, though illegal, for X (a major public figure) to be raped, strangled and murdered, and in my opinion it would be excellent if some public spirited person carried this out '.

This too is the expression of opinion. Are we sure that this should be entirely unregulated except through the criminal courts?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,038
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

I think Labour and the Lib Dems will split the anti-Tory vote and the Tories will retain this seat. A value bet at 3.5 on Betfair.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,981
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

Mr Stockan claims so, which is not quite the same thing. I'm just wondering what has brought this on and what is in it for him or Orkney politically.
    It's like Audlem voting to be in Wales, isn't it?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-english-village-that-would-rather-be-welsh-815422.html

No one seriously expects Audlem to join Wales, or Orkney to join Norway, or Totnes to rejoin the EU. But it gets them in the news and hence their grievances listened to.

(Audlem's a lovely place.)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

PS: just out of interest, whereabouts on Orkney, if one might ask?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

Edit to be more constructive:

I was in Orkney in 2019 and the taxi driver was doing a very fair London cabbie imitation about how the island is getting swamped with immigrants - new age English in this case. Can't imagine covid did anything but accelerate this. So perhaps there's more activism in the air these days.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,178
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

And the concept of Fighting Words has a long legal history…
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

It's not new though is it

As far as I am aware Orkney have been considering this for quite a long time, and no doubt accelerated by both the SNP and Labour's policy of stopping all future oil development which of course is quite considerable in their waters
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Tie mystery solved.

Oh is that why? I always assumed it was to hide his shortness in another area.
    It needn't be either or.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

Provocation.
    Which I *think* can be used as mitigation…
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-english-village-that-would-rather-be-welsh-815422.html

No one seriously expects Audlem to join Wales, or Orkney to join Norway, or Totnes to rejoin the EU. But it gets them in the news and hence their grievances listened to.

Indeed, that might be the reason.

Berwick upon Tweed is another example, come to think of it - the locals are not at all happy about their being merged into Northumberland, and there was a similar proposal to be hived off from England some years back.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,397
    even in 2015, when the Liberal Democrats fell to 8 seats and the SNP got 50 seats, the Lib Dems polled more than twice the vote that the SNP did. The party never stopped being the third party in the country.
  • Options
    Cheap attack from Diane Abbott

'@HackneyAbbott

1h
    Our multi-millionaire prime minister Rishi Sunak donates just one £10 bottle of wine to his local school'. After all he signed it too
    https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1675761345856262144?s=20
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

Twatt.
    Been there ...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Cicero said:

even in 2015, when the Liberal Democrats fell to 8 seats and the SNP got 50 seats, the Lib Dems polled more than twice the vote that the SNP did. The party never stopped being the third party in the country.

Doesn't count, any more than surplus votes in a Red Labour seat do. FPTP and numbers of MPs is where it's at, whether we like it or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

Provocation.
    That may be argued in mitigation for sentencing; it is not a defence to a charge of assault.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,027
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

I am unconvinced by the regulator, the Sun and Fraser. What Fraser is actually saying is that the police and no-one else should be the regulator of opinion under hate crime law. This isn't going to happen as he well knows.

Read literally Clarkson's words may be properly read as incitement to a criminal offence - assault.

Suppose some writer in a paper had said, instead of the parading naked stuff, that "It would be a good idea, though illegal, for X (a major public figure) to be raped, strangled and murdered, and in my opinion it would be excellent if some public spirited person carried this out '.

This too is the expression of opinion. Are we sure that this should be entirely unregulated except through the criminal courts?
    Aiui Clarkson's defence and/or mitigation was that the words complained of were not incitement to assault but a reference to a scene in Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

I think Labour and the Lib Dems will split the anti-Tory vote and the Tories will retain this seat. A value bet at 3.5 on Betfair.
    The one poll we've seen -- and it's early days -- sees the anti-Tory vote split 4 ways (Lab, independent, LibDem, Reform) and yet the Tories still lose on that poll. When there is so much anti-Tory vote and so little Tory vote, the Tories will have to be very, very lucky for the split to allow them to win.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,741
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

I think it may be now, young HY. A lot of effort has gone into it recently.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

I was in Orkney in 2019 and the taxi driver was doing a very fair London cabbie imitation about how the island is getting swamped with immigrants - new age English in this case. Can't imagine covid did anything but accelerate this. So perhaps there's more activism in the air these days.
    No, hadn't taken your post badly - I really have been to that airfield at Twatt!

Interesting comment, especially in view of the remark on Totnes earlier.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

My wife was taken by her mother and a few of her cousins to support their fishermen in and around Scapa Flow
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

The slippery slope argument fails when the speech in question is some way back from the start of the slope.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,165
    Outside a dozen constituencies there is too much risk of tactical "error" votes for Starmer-Lab, plus personal factors and 2019 factors. Even some of the numerically close constituencies are pretty longshot on those basis. I doubt LDs are taking Cities of London and Westminster.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h
    Our multi-millionaire prime minister Rishi Sunak donates just one £10 bottle of wine to his local school'. After all he signed it too

You’d think he’d have spent at least £15. Difficult to buy a decent bottle of English wine for under about £15.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

My wife was taken by her mother and a few of her cousins to support their fishermen in and around Scapa Flow
    Thanks. I've explored that area and read quite a bit about wartime there.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Aiui Clarkson's defence and/or mitigation was that the words complained of were not incitement to assault but a reference to a scene in Game of Thrones.
    But I never understood that. Most bad things have happened in fiction. When I said the victim needed a good shanking I was merely alluding to the play Julius Caesar, yr honner.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

If I were Diane Abbott I would be rather careful when talking about what was or was not sent to local schools.
    Talking of wine. At the private school my younger daughter is going to, they provided a number of place, free, to Ukrainian refugees. The parents further organised more places and held a charity event.

Due to a personal joke between a couple of parents, a cheap bottle of wine was included in the auction. The people involved created a hilarious bidding war for it.

Due to one of them working in the wine trade, the sum it sold for is going to be included in the wine price data that gets distributed. We are al speculating at whether this will cause a hilarious “ramp” - with idiots spending zillions on a bottle of sub Oyster Bay.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

You’d think he’d have spent at least £15. Difficult to buy a decent bottle of English wine for under about £15.
    He's a non drinker, remember.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

No, hadn't taken your post badly - I really have been to that airfield at Twatt!

Interesting comment, especially in view of the remark on Totnes earlier.
    I have sailed past it, I think there's a tower there that gets marked conspic. on the chart.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

Indeed, that might be the reason.

Berwick upon Tweed is another example, come to think of it - the locals are not at all happy about their being merged into Northumberland, and there was a similar proposal to be hived off from England some years back.
    They have had plenty of practice - Berwick has changed hands between England and Scotland 13 times
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

But I never understood that. Most bad things have happened in fiction. When I said the victim needed a good shanking I was merely alluding to the play Julius Caesar, yr honner.
    My mates Titus and Ronicus can back me up on that.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

FPT:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As in, escape to Norway?

It's not new though is it

As far as I am aware Orkney have been considering this for quite a long time, and no doubt accelerated by both the SNP and Labour's policy of stopping all future oil development which of course is quite considerable in their waters
    Perhaps the whole of GB could join in the Orkney/Norway wheeze, which would have the effect of: abolishing Westminster, joining EFTA/EEA and solving Ireland. Old Norse could recover its proper place in the primary school curriculum and we would live in country with broadly humane social policy and a land border with Russia.

Bring it on.
  • Options
    (A pedant writes - Mike's article says Honiton & Tiverton. I think he means Somerton & Frome.)
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,699
    BBC on some France riots misinformation:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66081671

Features Leon's sniper among the rioters, who was apparently very well prepared, having taken up position over a year ago!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

Then it’s typical of the advice he’s getting! Anyway I don’t for one moment think that he went out and bought it himself!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

The slippery slope argument fails when the speech in question is some way back from the start of the slope.
    No, not a slippery slope argument. Fraser is saying that opinion is exempt from scrutiny in its entirety. So this has to be tested against samples of opinion. The human mind when it comes to opinion is not a very nice place.
  • Options
    Victoria Amelina was one of kindest and most charitable Ukrainian writers who did much more for others than for herself. She founded 2 literary festivals - in New York (Donbas) and in Kramatorsk, where her life was stopped by russian missile. RIP.
    https://twitter.com/AKurkov/status/1675771627257069569
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nor was Oswestry.
    It was Telegraph mischief to split the opposition vote and make it a Tory hold and might still work (assuming there is a by election which is far from certain). In a by election it should be a LD opportunity, never a Lab one.. In a GE (as @hyufd points out) this would not be on the LD radar at all.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,580
    edited July 2023
    Selebian said:

Features Leon's sniper among the rioters, who was apparently very well prepared, having taken up position over a year ago!

At least those riots vindicate one of Remain's projections.

We may still be waiting for international irrelevance or five million unemployed, but Brexit has indeed been followed by violence in the streets, social disorder, civil breakdown and national division.

(Admittedly in France, not here, but let's not get hung up on details).
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

No, not a slippery slope argument. Fraser is saying that opinion is exempt from scrutiny in its entirety. So this has to be tested against samples of opinion. The human mind when it comes to opinion is not a very nice place.
    Then Fraser is a pillock.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,383
    Pulpstar said:

It might sound implausible given their ideological differences, but my MP, Brendan Clarke-Smith has announced he'll be supporting Ben Bradley's bid for the East Midlands mayoralty.

Friendship beats ideology for quite surprising people.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

He didn’t have to choose wine to give.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,699
    edited July 2023
    Voted in S&A, not for Labour.

Reasons:
    1. It's a by election. Does not change government. I'm more interested in what the MP will do to represent the interests of the constituency between now and next election than anything else. Labour literature silent on this
    2. Labour literature all about 'sending a message' to the government. I'm not interested, if they haven't got the message by now, they never will - and anyway, I want them out
    3. I have no particular interest in sticking it to Sunak - replacement of him before a GE is not in my interests, Cons would most likely choose a loon who gets to be PM for ~1 year. Even if they choose someone sane, that risks their re-election and I think the party as a whole needs a spell in opposition and a cleanout under a new leader.
    4. I'm not yet enthused by the Labour package nationally - given this and the lack of a positive message from the local candidate, I'm not persuaded to give a positive vote to Labour
    I will, probably, as it stands give Labour my vote at the GE in the new Selby CC constituency.

ETA: I no longer have any money on the outcome. I do think Labour have a fair chance, but it all depends on differential turnout (I'd back Con to win, probably, still in a GE on current boundaries, but if Lab can fire up an anti-Tory vote and get it out then they can win)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,607
    HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

Almost as cheap as the bottle of wine Sunak donated.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,165
    Fishing said:

Selebian said:

At least those riots vindicate one of Remain's projections.

We may still be waiting for international irrelevance or five million unemployed, but Brexit has indeed been followed by violence in the streets, social disorder, civil breakdown and national division.

(Admittedly in France, not here, but let's not get hung up on details).
    You're still waiting for international irrelevance? You must be counting foreigners laughing at poundshop Berlusconi and the woman ranting about Communist traitors of the City of London.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

If Clarkson's words are "incitement to a criminal offence" then that is a matter for the Police and the Courts. If someone says that a public figure should be raped, strangled and murdered then yes that is a matter for the Police and the Courts.

If no crime is broken, then it may be a matter for their employer if they have one.

Other than that, yes, free speech is the bedrock of a free society.

And for what its worth, I think what Clarkson said was deplorable. But even deplorable people get to speak.

PS not read what Fraser Nelson wrote since its behind a paywall.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Victoria Amelina was one of kindest and most charitable Ukrainian writers who did much more for others than for herself. She founded 2 literary festivals - in New York (Donbas) and in Kramatorsk, where her life was stopped by russian missile. RIP.
    https://twitter.com/AKurkov/status/1675771627257069569

Russian culture.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/03/russia-bombing-civilian-targets-crimes-ukraine-victoria-amelina
    ...Speaking on a major propaganda talkshow on the state-run Russia-1 Channel, the head of the Duma defence committee, Colonel-General Andrei Kartapolov, saluted the attack on Kramatorsk, saying: “I take my hat off to those who planned it, who carried it out. My old military heart rejoices when I see how many of these kids’ bodies are being dug up, sometimes with tattoos, sometimes with emblems.” Among the bodies there are those of the 14-year-old twins Yulia and Anna Aksenchenko...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,400
    Sandpit said:

It may well be long and important, but it is not outside the paywall. However, this archive link is: https://archive.is/iYoC0
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

It is quite common to use phrases that are clearly not incitement to violence, although the words individually might appear to be so. How many have used the phrase 'will be the first against the wall' or 'should be shot'. We don't mean it literally and nobody takes it so. Most of us can tell the difference between hate and colourful use of the language.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

Almost as cheap as the bottle of wine Sunak donated.
    It's House of Commons labelled, French Merlot. If DA is right about it costing a tenner (and I imagine she'd know) it's a £40 bottle once you take the HoC subsidy off. And it'll never be drunk anyway.

Given DA's somewhat chequered history with 1. schools and 2. alcoholic drink, this is a pretty pathetic and ill advised attack.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Yep!

I’m not a newspaper.

Provocation.
    That may be argued in mitigation for sentencing; it is not a defence to a charge of assault.
    Agreed on the technicality, but it it were me I’d have asked for the jury trial and hoped I could argue my case to them.

James White, the individual in question, pleaded guilty to a public order offence, presumably because his own lawyer told him the sentence would only go up if he took a different route.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    A
    kjh said:

Miklosvar said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

It is quite common to use phrases that are clearly not incitement to violence, although the words individually might appear to be so. How many have used the phrase 'will be the first against the wall' or 'should be shot'. We don't mean it literally and nobody takes it so. Most of us can tell the difference between hate and colourful use of the language.
    It’s a question of both the language and the target.

There are groups who are already being targeted for violence. Public figures are one of those groups. Advocating violence against such groups has a different context and implied meaning.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

Correct. It was a joke. You can argue that it was a bad joke, but it was a cultural reference rather than an incitement to violence.

Was Jo Brand (and the BBC, by association) inciting violence against Nigel Farage. IMHO that was a much more egregious case. Personally I think that was more of the BBC’s problem than Brand’s. Comedians will make jokes that go way over the line for public broadcast, it’s the job of the broadcaster to edit accordingly.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Miklosvar said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

And if there's any doubt on that fact, that's what juries are for. Reasonable people upholding the reasonable person test.

If a crime is committed then we have a criminal justice system to handle that.

If no crime is committed, then there ought to be no abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
This discussion has been closed.