Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can the LDs become the third party once again? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    Has Leon calmed down about yesterday yet....

Enjoy every boundary from Ben Stokes' sensational innings at Lord's 👇
    https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1675819715841921024?s=20
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,720
    I see Lyon is out for the series - least surprising news of the day. Tough for him as he has been ever present for a very long time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,635
    Stocky said:

My reactionary father-in-law was in a lather yesterday but for once he seems to have a point.

He's been on 20mg statins for over ten years and went to collect his repeat prescription at the usual chemist to be told that there is a national shortage of 20mg statin tablets. The chemist said they had tried to source in multiple places but none can be found. The answer, he said, is simple enough - have two 10mg tablets instead, there are plenty of those available.

But - guess what - the chemist refused to dispense as the repeat prescription states 20mg tablet rather than 2x 10mg tablets and sent father-in-law back to his GP for a new prescription (this was Saturday and surgery was closed and he had almost run out of tablets).

Good use of GP time there then.

I'm on those. Pop one every day after lunch. It felt a bit odd at first but I'm quite enjoying it now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,949
    Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

Discovery of up to 25 Mesolithic pits in Bedfordshire astounds archaeologists
    Linmere site has more monumental pits in a single area than anywhere else in England and Wales
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/jul/03/discovery-25-mesolithic-pits-bedfordshire-astounds-archaeologists

I try to feel proud of our island heritage, but thinking a large pit makes a decent monument is a bit primitive even for 10,000 BC, is it not? A bit off the Gobekli Tepe pace.

Proto-Keynesians, no doubt. Location checks out.
    Why am I the first person to give this post a Like? Superb work!
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited July 2023
    Stocky said:

My reactionary father-in-law was in a lather yesterday but for once he seems to have a point.

He's been on 20mg statins for over ten years and went to collect his repeat prescription at the usual chemist to be told that there is a national shortage of 20mg statin tablets. The chemist said they had tried to source in multiple places but none can be found. The answer, he said, is simple enough - have two 10mg tablets instead, there are plenty of those available.

But - guess what - the chemist refused to dispense as the repeat prescription states 20mg tablet rather than 2x 10mg tablets and sent father-in-law back to his GP for a new prescription (this was Saturday and surgery was closed and he had almost run out of tablets).

I once had a bad reaction to a series of wasp stings on a Sunday afternoon walk (daughter managed to disturb a nest and yet she managed to avoid getting stung). I went to out of hours GP service who gave me a prescription. Went to 2 separate pharmacies trying to get it both of whom said they didn't have the right mg tablets.

The third pharmacy said that they don't even make the tablets in that mg so my prescription could not be provided. That pharmacy was particularly good though as they called up the out of hours service and managed to get the GP over the phone to agree to change the prescription to a different mg which I could then get.

It should be the case on all prescriptions that the pharmacy can substitute for other mg presuming it can still be consumed in the correct amount. I'm sure this situation must happen quite often and consume a lot of time!

Edit: Just seen that this will be changed soon which is good news.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

Discovery of up to 25 Mesolithic pits in Bedfordshire astounds archaeologists
    Linmere site has more monumental pits in a single area than anywhere else in England and Wales
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/jul/03/discovery-25-mesolithic-pits-bedfordshire-astounds-archaeologists

I try to feel proud of our island heritage, but thinking a large pit makes a decent monument is a bit primitive even for 10,000 BC, is it not? A bit off the Gobekli Tepe pace.

Proto-Keynesians, no doubt. Location checks out.
    Why am I the first person to give this post a Like? Superb work!
    Outstanding comment in its own right.
  • Options
    Sue Gray’s middle name nickname is Nan

Because she’s easily wound up
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,757
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Any odds on some twunks from Just Stop Oil trying to orange centre court? Anyone know what kind of paint they use and if its oil based?

The hypocrisy you're looking for wouldn't be there in any case. If your point is that oil is ruining everything, and you used an oil-based product to ruin something, that's a good way of making your point.

Which isn't to say they'd be doing the right thing, but the palpable desperation of some people to find some superficial hypocrisy ("HE'S GOT AN IPHONE!!!2!!") to avoid engaging in the substance of the issue is... weak.
    I don't think it is impossible to walk the walk as well as talk the talk. I harbour a nasty suspicion that many of the just stop oil louts are scientifically illiterate, in it for the attention, and often from wealthy backgrounds. Its like celebs flying in from the US to join marches against climate change.
    True. But I also think 'oh they're all just precious rich kids' is often a mental technique people use to mitigate the guilt they might otherwise feel about not caring as much or doing as much about the issue as a big part of them knows they really ought to. Similar to 'they'll just spend it on booze and fags' to justify not giving money to beggars.
    BiB

What are we to do when the lumpen proletariat doesn't give a flying fuck about the imminent catastrophic climate change and just want to drive their white van to work?
    Well that's a specific of the general tension which often arises between what people want to do individually and what's best for society. One of the important functions of democratic politics and government is to resolve this tension in a way that fuses personal freedom and collective responsibility, and is informed by evidence and facts. Oh yes.
    What we do to get the lumpen proletariat on board is what the grown-ups have been doing for about 20 years i.e. gradually making the non-oil offer better and cheaper than the oil offer.

I'd say what we don't do is send the worst people in the world in to make their commutes a misery and/or disrupt sporting events they may be watching. I'm no marketer, but I suspect that might be counterproductive. Cutting oil use is a not inconsiderable part of my job and is something I feel quite keen on. And yet when some p*ssed-up nutter barges into a JSO protest with a chant of "We love you oil, we do", I know whose side I am instinctively on. Because JSO are just so bloody dislikeable.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,541
    edited July 2023
    Since we're on Eurostats.

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1675552417503485952?s=20

Denmark is a bit of shocker, and as for Belarus, oy vey. Must be having to cope with the neighbours.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,949
    Stocky said:

Our local pharmacy dispensed my wife one tablet in a box marked "take one tablet twice a day".

Clearly no common sense to question whether there was an error on the prescription.
  • Options
    Fighting crime, not my job mate....

Sussex PCSO filmed refusing to attend assault at shop
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-66086890
  • Options

Denmark is a bit of shocker, and as for Belarus, oy veh. Must be having to cope with the neighbours.

Ireland and the UK [both well below other European nations] are well known for being a culture where drunkenness is frowned upon? 🤔
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124

Denmark is a bit of shocker, and as for Belarus, oy veh. Must be having to cope with the neighbours.

I am surprised that Norway is so low. Whilst they have very strict controls on the sale of alcohol, home distilling is rampant.
  • Options

"but then I would have to deal with it"

How many things in this country are broken due to people having that attitude?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817

Ireland and the UK [both well below other European nations] are well known for being a culture where drunkenness is frowned upon? 🤔
    Booze, like smoking, is banned on the Tube.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,413

French does a poor job of keeping immigrants out of poverty. UK does pretty well by comparison. Look at Sweden. But also Germany.

Germany's number will be "flattered" by the still large-ish number of people from the former East Germany still living in poverty.
    The poverty rates in Germany are way lower than that in other countries, so that argument doesn't seem like a very good explanation.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

"but then I would have to deal with it"

How many things in this country are broken due to people having that attitude?
    Quiet quitting innit. And of course management,

"We are sorry for the clumsy language used by the PCSO"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079

I see Lyon is out for the series - least surprising news of the day. Tough for him as he has been ever present for a very long time.

Lords was a very busy test news-wise.

1. Just Stop Oil protest
    2. Lyon injured for remainder of series.
    3. Lyon batting on one leg.
    4. Starc non catch
    5. Bairstow stumping.
    6. One of the all time great 4th innings from Stokes. (Who deserved MOTM I thought)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,967

Sue Gray’s middle name nickname is Nan

Because she’s easily wound up

Your fawn coloured summer jacket, sir.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,179

I see Red Wall tories calling for the halting of visas for social care workers from abroad.

They have no idea of the state of the care system.

If you want to improve the care system, how about paying care staff more than a pittance more than minimum wage?

Care home near me have a big banner outside boasting that they are paying rates of £10.90 per hour in order to attract staff.

That wage should not be high enough to attract visas.
    Great.

Tell Hunt to hand over the money then, rather than splathing ever more on the NHS.
    A Modest Proposal

Item : we have a shortage of cheap labour
    Item : conditions in Rwandan (and other African) jails are horrendous.

Solution : we pay Rwanda et al to import as many criminals as they can send us, for a modest fee each. They can be given useful work (unpaid) decently fed and housed.

Addendum: the port of entry should be in Bristol, where a statue to the genius of my proposal shall be erected. Paid for by a percentage of the profits of said trade.
  • Options

France seems a counterexample the other way. And I read yesterday that Norway was the happiest country in the world which seems unlikely if they are prepared to poison themselves with drink at Norway prices.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Will change in a few years as all qualifying pharmacists become able to prescribe - they would change that prescription for him. They cannot legally do that at the current time.
    Even now, the pharmacist can, in certain situations, dispense an emergency supply if needed.

Although, with statins, missing a couple of days is going to do very little, I'd've thought. (Not a medical doctor, not a pharmacist. Please seek your own medical advice.)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,245

Denmark is a bit of shocker, and as for Belarus, oy vey. Must be having to cope with the neighbours.

I'm not in the least bit surprised by Denmark. You sometimes see people drinking beer on the bus to work in the morning. Suit, tie, laptop case, can of Tuborg. Bizarre.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lords was a very busy test news-wise.

1. Just Stop Oil protest
    2. Lyon injured for remainder of series.
    3. Lyon batting on one leg.
    4. Starc non catch
    5. Bairstow stumping.
    6. One of the all time great 4th innings from Stokes. (Who deserved MOTM I thought)
    I don't like cricket, I love it...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,028

You could take that same map and say it proves the benefit of a Mediterranean diet.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Now the bottle of (very high proof) homemade cherry liqueur given to me by my Slovenian PhD student makes much more sense.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,838

Competition and Markets Authority find petrol retailers have been charging 6p a litre more due to lack of competition

I assume they are going to use their powers to apply multi mullion pound fines against them

Asda apparently have been fined just £60,000

https://news.sky.com/story/drivers-paying-more-for-fuel-due-to-weakening-competition-between-retailers-regulator-says-12913866

As I, and @MaxPB have noted.
    And it’s not just petrol retailers.
    It's actually an open goal for Sunak's government to make a lot of noise on, get reversed, and help bring inflation down. They won't, because of awful diesel cars being such a sin.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,627
    edited July 2023

Didn't expect France to be significantly higher than the UK.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Will change in a few years as all qualifying pharmacists become able to prescribe - they would change that prescription for him. They cannot legally do that at the current time.
    Because the size of the tablets was on the original prescription. As opposed to “20mg per day”. The latter is possible - had it done for a family prescription.

A comic example of the effect of literalism - on a firearms certificate there may or may not be a limit on calibre. These days one is always put in. Older certificates often don’t have them. There is no process for the police to *force* adding a calibre limit.

The main gun of a tank is, legally, a really big manual firearm - you have to do a bunch of steps at each shot. So, if you have a firearms certificate without calibre limit, it is completely legal to own a tank with a “live” main gun.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's because of the quarter of a million Brits who live in Provence drinking themselves to death on cheap Merlot.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,751
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I'm on those. Pop one every day after lunch. It felt a bit odd at first but I'm quite enjoying it now.
    OK..... It's those little things that please you with age.
  • Options

Someone should plot a bell curve so we can see how many SDs out Belarus really is. I suspect some sort of reporting bias though. Died OF drink vs died WITH drink.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I'm not in the least bit surprised by Denmark. You sometimes see people drinking beer on the bus to work in the morning. Suit, tie, laptop case, can of Tuborg. Bizarre.
    Germany is the same. I'd always thought of it as displaying a relatively civilised attitude to their (very fine) national drink but perhaps not.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

It's because of the quarter of a million Brits who live in Provence drinking themselves to death on cheap Merlot.
    Éthylisme not unknown among the indigènes.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,945
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

The Czech Republic is surprisingly low, given that they drink the most beer per capita in the world.

Edit: By some margin. And they're also no slouches when it comes to wine and spirit consumption.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,210

Farooq said:

Germany is the same. I'd always thought of it as displaying a relatively civilised attitude to their (very fine) national drink but perhaps not.
    I have always suspected alcohol use is highly correlated to the weather. Greyness and coldness inflict more of a toll on the human soul than most people who live in such geographies realize. When you live in a warm, sunny climate, alcohol is just a nice social relaxant. When you have long, dark nights, alcohol becomes a means a temporary escape. The countries that truly have binge drinking cultures all seem to be cold and/or grey for much of the year.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The Czech Republic is surprisingly low, given that they drink the most beer per capita in the world.
    I wanted you to be wrong so I could post "you need to Czechia facts"

Sadly, you seem to be exactly right.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita
  • Options

Competition and Markets Authority find petrol retailers have been charging 6p a litre more due to lack of competition

I assume they are going to use their powers to apply multi mullion pound fines against them

https://news.sky.com/story/drivers-paying-more-for-fuel-due-to-weakening-competition-between-retailers-regulator-says-12913866

It's actually an open goal for Sunak's government to make a lot of noise on, get reversed, and help bring inflation down. They won't, because of awful diesel cars being such a sin.
    Why is the market failing in the case of the fuel industry? I don't think it's a cartel?
    Economic theory says that - especially in the case of broadly fungible goods like petrol/diesel - where there are multiple retailers and a gap opens up between the price of the good and the retail price, the price will be forced down as retailers compete on price.
    In practice, I think this does happen, but slowly. Inertia is overlooked as factor, and so things happen slowly.
    My guess is that the lag between the price of a good dropping and the retail price dropping is no more laggy in fuel than any other sector - but in fuel the cost prices swing much more wildly, which allows for long gaps between the price of fuel falling and the retail price falling.
    But that's only a guess. Any more informed comment is welcome!
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,222

Andy_JS said:

Generally sticking to beer around the 4-6% mark is maybe healthier than stronger drinks?

However - death from 'alcohol use disorder' might be the key here. If every Czech pretty much has pilsner on their corn flakes every morning, what constitutes a disorder?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,210
    Farooq said:

WillG said:

French does a poor job of keeping immigrants out of poverty. UK does pretty well by comparison. Look at Sweden. But also Germany.

Germany's number will be "flattered" by the still large-ish number of people from the former East Germany still living in poverty.
    Why is it "France doing a poor job" rather than "immigrants to France doing a poor job". That graph is damning to Western immigration policies everywhere. We should not be bringing in people that are poorer than the rest of the population. It just increases the burden on the taxpayer in an age where we cannot afford it.
    You need to be careful here to distinguish between poverty and a burden to the taxpayers. You can be one or the other, both, or neither.
    Let's not pretend there isn't an incredibly strong correlation between income level and net contribution to the exchequer.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

E.g. Bulgaria drinks like a fish (other sources confirm) but the map says nobody dies of it. Rubbish map.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Why is the market failing in the case of the fuel industry? I don't think it's a cartel?
    Economic theory says that - especially in the case of broadly fungible goods like petrol/diesel - where there are multiple retailers and a gap opens up between the price of the good and the retail price, the price will be forced down as retailers compete on price.
    In practice, I think this does happen, but slowly. Inertia is overlooked as factor, and so things happen slowly.
    My guess is that the lag between the price of a good dropping and the retail price dropping is no more laggy in fuel than any other sector - but in fuel the cost prices swing much more wildly, which allows for long gaps between the price of fuel falling and the retail price falling.
    No information, just speculation: the variability of the price makes it really hard to know where's cheaper. You go past a station that was 146p a month ago and now it's 139p. You remember seeing another station in the next town that was 144p three weeks ago... which one was cheaper a month ago? Three weeks ago? Now? You have no idea.
    When the price changes daily, you need to make a real effort to know where is cheaper. Perhaps in big conurbations where you might drive past three stations on a shortish commute, you can notice without much effort, but otherwise..
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

E.g. Bulgaria drinks like a fish (other sources confirm) but the map says nobody dies of it. Rubbish map.
    Possibly they have a very strict definition of 'alcohol related deaths?' E.g. only if they were drowned in a vat, or something?

A bit like Covid statistics.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

No information, just speculation: the variability of the price makes it really hard to know where's cheaper. You go past a station that was 146p a month ago and now it's 139p. You remember seeing another station in the next town that was 144p three weeks ago... which one was cheaper a month ago? Three weeks ago? Now? You have no idea.
    When the price changes daily, you need to make a real effort to know where is cheaper. Perhaps in big conurbations where you might drive past three stations on a shortish commute, you can notice without much effort, but otherwise..
    Or go to petrolprices.co.uk
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,445
    I see the competition Authority is saying that Morrisons and Asda have increased the price of Petrol / Diesel by 6p a litre because they no longer rush to pass wholesale price cuts down to customers...

Almost like Private Equity is bad for customers...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

I don't know. I can tell you fuel remains 13p a litre cheaper at any filling station in Wolverhampton than anywhere else I drive past.

My suspicion is there is a garage somewhere nearby selling dodgy stuff (or non-taxed) which is driving the price down very fast among the others to try and keep custom.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,376

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Cheap attack from Diane Abbott

'@HackneyAbbott

1h
    Our multi-millionaire prime minister Rishi Sunak donates just one £10 bottle of wine to his local school'. After all he signed it too
    https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1675761345856262144?s=20

Almost as cheap as the bottle of wine Sunak donated.
    At least it wasn’t Buckfast!

An American wine connoisseur made the mistake of reviewing buckfast… Here’s their tasting notes:

Buckfast Tonic Wine (No Vintage)

Screw cap, took it off about 30 minutes before to bring in some air. Apparently made by monks in England. Decided to try while cooking dinner. Poured into a glass, first glance has a very inky almost brownish color that you see in older wines. Very syrupy, liquid clings to the side of the glass when swirled. Almost 15% ABV.

Stuck my nose in and was hit with something I’ve never experienced before. Barnyardy funk (in a bad way) almost like a dead animal in a bird’s nest. A mix of flat Coca Cola and caramel with a whiff of gun metal.

On the palate, overwhelming sweetness and sugar. Cherry Cola mixed with Benadryl. Unlike anything I’ve tasted. I’m not sure what this liquid is but it is not wine, I’m actually not sure what it is but it tastes like something a doctor would prescribe. A chemical concoction of the highest degree. Can only compare it to a Four Loko.

Managed to make it through a couple small glasses but not much more. Has absolutely ruined the evening drinking-wise for me as I tried to drink a nice Bordeaux after but the iron-like metallic sweet aftertaste I just couldn’t get out of my mouth even after a few glasses of water. I don’t drink a lot of coffee regularly so I also have mild heart palpitations from the caffeine after just drinking a bit of this and feel a slight migraine.

An ungodly concoction made by seemingly godly men. I believe the Vatican needs to send an exorcist over to Buckfast Abbey as the devil’s works are cleary present there. After tasting this “wine,” the way I feel can only be described as akin to being under a bridge on one’s knees orally pleasing a vagrant while simultaneously drinking liquified meth through a dirty rag.

I’ve drank a lot of wines in my life and will never forget this one.
    Buckfast Powersmash is one of those drinks so awful that it's good. Was in the tattier of the village shops when a guy was in buying a few bottles. And looked like he is a regular drinker of the stuff.

Was then amazed to see a Buckie trade stand at a food expo a few months back. They were pushing the "made by monks" line really hard and getting "ooh that's interesting" responses from trade buyers. FFS no, you really don't need Buckfast punters in your shop. Its like being a proud seller of Lambrini and McEwan's Export.
    Carling even, the worst lager in the world.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h
    Our multi-millionaire prime minister Rishi Sunak donates just one £10 bottle of wine to his local school'. After all he signed it too

An American wine connoisseur made the mistake of reviewing buckfast… Here’s their tasting notes:

Screw cap, took it off about 30 minutes before to bring in some air. Apparently made by monks in England. Decided to try while cooking dinner. Poured into a glass, first glance has a very inky almost brownish color that you see in older wines. Very syrupy, liquid clings to the side of the glass when swirled. Almost 15% ABV.

Stuck my nose in and was hit with something I’ve never experienced before. Barnyardy funk (in a bad way) almost like a dead animal in a bird’s nest. A mix of flat Coca Cola and caramel with a whiff of gun metal.

On the palate, overwhelming sweetness and sugar. Cherry Cola mixed with Benadryl. Unlike anything I’ve tasted. I’m not sure what this liquid is but it is not wine, I’m actually not sure what it is but it tastes like something a doctor would prescribe. A chemical concoction of the highest degree. Can only compare it to a Four Loko.

Managed to make it through a couple small glasses but not much more. Has absolutely ruined the evening drinking-wise for me as I tried to drink a nice Bordeaux after but the iron-like metallic sweet aftertaste I just couldn’t get out of my mouth even after a few glasses of water. I don’t drink a lot of coffee regularly so I also have mild heart palpitations from the caffeine after just drinking a bit of this and feel a slight migraine.

An ungodly concoction made by seemingly godly men. I believe the Vatican needs to send an exorcist over to Buckfast Abbey as the devil’s works are cleary present there. After tasting this “wine,” the way I feel can only be described as akin to being under a bridge on one’s knees orally pleasing a vagrant while simultaneously drinking liquified meth through a dirty rag.

Buckfast Powersmash is one of those drinks so awful that it's good. Was in the tattier of the village shops when a guy was in buying a few bottles. And looked like he is a regular drinker of the stuff.

Was then amazed to see a Buckie trade stand at a food expo a few months back. They were pushing the "made by monks" line really hard and getting "ooh that's interesting" responses from trade buyers. FFS no, you really don't need Buckfast punters in your shop. Its like being a proud seller of Lambrini and McEwan's Export.
    Buckie punters are actually *upmarket* by the standards of your average jaikie on Union Street or the Sautmarket. Before the alcohol pricing controls came in in particular, you could get smashed far more cheaply on other stuff, and I believe the differential is still there even now if not so marked. (Sudden thought: does the origin of Buckie correlate with its sales in Glasgow to different football club supporters? Never heard of such a thing, though.)
    Hard to see how anyone can drink it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,676
    This is demented.

🇷🇺 TV says Prigozhin may have been targeted by a 🇬🇧 psyop:"They gave him a sense of euphoria+meaning. For that you don't even need to get inside someone. You just have to repeat it over+over again, playing on their vanity...It's the 🇬🇧 who are the masters of cognitive operations"
    https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1675791456773058560

Stalin, of course, believed Britain a greater threat than Germany in the late 1930s.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

I think that's right.
    I know where's cheapest in my locality (Asda) - so if I have the luxury of planning a refuel in advance, that's where I'll go, at some point when I'm passing. But even though I'm quite interested, I'm not interested enough to be a ble to say how much diesel is there right now.

The market is far less price sensitive that you'd assume would be the case. A saving of 2p a litre isn't really worth driving 2 miles out of your way for.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Farooq said:

WillG said:

Why is it "France doing a poor job" rather than "immigrants to France doing a poor job". That graph is damning to Western immigration policies everywhere. We should not be bringing in people that are poorer than the rest of the population. It just increases the burden on the taxpayer in an age where we cannot afford it.
    You need to be careful here to distinguish between poverty and a burden to the taxpayers. You can be one or the other, both, or neither.
    Let's not pretend there isn't an incredibly strong correlation between income level and net contribution to the exchequer.
    Net contribution? Then you need to take into account the services used. Got a long term medical condition? Got kids in school?

Actually, since we're talking about U16s here, they'll all be burdens on the taxpayer, since their income is going to be functionally zero in most or all of these countries, and huge majorities will be in state-funded education.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is demented.

🇷🇺 TV says Prigozhin may have been targeted by a 🇬🇧 psyop:"They gave him a sense of euphoria+meaning. For that you don't even need to get inside someone. You just have to repeat it over+over again, playing on their vanity...It's the 🇬🇧 who are the masters of cognitive operations"

Stalin, of course, believed Britain a greater threat than Germany in the late 1930s.

Russian TV is demented?

You'll be telling me next that Case is a twat.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,949

Yes. I too was surprised to see alcohol deaths in Britain and Ireland at a lower rate than, say, France. Doesn't fit the preconceptions and stereotypes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

I don't know. I can tell you fuel remains 13p a litre cheaper at any filling station in Wolverhampton than anywhere else I drive past.

My suspicion is there is a garage somewhere nearby selling dodgy stuff (or non-taxed) which is driving the price down very fast among the others to try and keep custom.
    Nope, but I suspect there is an independent whose business is used to taking 2-3p profit per litre and is happy to continue doing so.

Round here there are a couple of garages in Bishop / West Auckland that work that way
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is demented.

Of course they defeated Germany, they never defeated Britain.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,929
    eek said:

I see the competition Authority is saying that Morrisons and Asda have increased the price of Petrol / Diesel by 6p a litre because they no longer rush to pass wholesale price cuts down to customers...

It’s not private equity.
    It’s a failure to regulate oligopoly.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Nope, but I suspect there is an independent whose business is used to taking 2-3p profit per litre and is happy to continue doing so.

Round here there are a couple of garages in Bishop / West Auckland that work that way
    There are several independents in Cannock and Rugeley (and indeed Gloucestershire) who work that way but prices remain stubbornly at 144.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

That's interesting. I can also offer you Bredbury as an example of fuel being weirdly cheaper than neighbouring districts. Could be the same reason.
    I always thought little hotspots like this were because you were close to an oil terminus, but your theory makes more sense.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Miklosvar said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

'@HackneyAbbott

1h

Buckie punters are actually *upmarket* by the standards of your average jaikie on Union Street or the Sautmarket. Before the alcohol pricing controls came in in particular, you could get smashed far more cheaply on other stuff, and I believe the differential is still there even now if not so marked. (Sudden thought: does the origin of Buckie correlate with its sales in Glasgow to different football club supporters? Never heard of such a thing, though.)
    https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/king-william-fortified-wine-launched-28038421

16.90 ABV. Coincidentally.
    Haw! THat's a good one. @Theuniondivvie and @malcolmg will like that. And the best bit is "The drink's UK manufacturers – who previously launched a gin with a similar name – deny targeting any specific demographic."
    Crazy, could only be the West of Scotland.
  • Options
    There were two very famous alcohol related deaths in the wars of the Roses.

Edward IV drank himself to death.

He had his brother drowned in a barrel of wine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

There were two very famous alcohol related deaths in the wars of the Roses Rosés.

FTFY
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

There were two very famous alcohol related deaths in the wars of the Roses Rosés.

FTFY
    Wha-hey! Definite champagne moment.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,699
    Nigelb said:

This is demented.

That's what happens when you put 'Great' in your country name.* People start to believe you're bigger and badder than you really are :wink:

*yeah, yeah, 'UK' - they no doubt think we're united, too
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Possibly they have a very strict definition of 'alcohol related deaths?' E.g. only if they were drowned in a vat, or something?

Quite. To repeat myself it's died OF drink vs died WITH drink.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

This is demented.

*cough*2016*cough*
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,005
    I think the LDs probably are roughly evens to overtake the SNP, certainly between 4/6 and 6/4, but it depends mostly on the SNP performance rather than the LDs. I prefer the 5/2 available on SNP under 20 seats, though you certainly could see a world where the SNP win 30 seats and the LDs 30-40.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,702
    I don't agree that drunkenness in the UK is frowned upon. It (drunkenness) is often seen as a badge of honour and the vernacular around getting drunk shows that it is perceived as at least not socially unacceptable.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817
    ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Aldehydes, alkanes and ketones are alcohol-related compounds.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Traditional funerals in this country always involved the deceased being supported with a drink.

Well, being carried on a bier.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sue Gray banged to rights by a Cabinet Office inquiry.

Gove Boris his job back!

This was spectacularly stupid by her and by Starmer. They have essentially undermined the independence of her enquiry. So stupid.
    I'm afraid however the Tories spin it that is very much a side issue. Because unless you are saying that the Met were in on this new job of Grey's, her inquiry into Case and Johnson was ultimately not the key point.
    As far as Boris is concerned its all history now anyway, since he's history now anyway.

But as far as Sunak is concerned, with the rather odd anyway fine he received, it does politically make it look a bit like fruit of the poisoned tree.

And it was completely unnecessary by Starmer. He's beating Sunak anyway, why make such a silly unforced error?
    That fine was nothing to do with Grey's report.

And it would be stretching it somewhat to say that her impartiality or otherwise undermines any disciplinary offences within the CS itself. Not that any of them appear to have been disciplined in any meaningful way.
    G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    I wonder whether the people who misspell names like Sue Grey and Kier Starmer do it through ignorance or think they are being funny at the expense of their rivals? (Hint: if it’s the latter, you’re not - just tedious.)
    In my case, I get Keir Starmer wrong because there's a large construction firm called 'Kier', which I have known since childhood. Familiarity means I think Kier rather than Keir. I do try to catch it though, and I don't think I've done it in a while.
    I before E except after C, the b*gger cannot even spell his name correctly.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s not private equity.
    It’s a failure to regulate oligopoly.
    True - the issue is the CMA have just let Eurogarages (one of the worst offenders) buy Asda....

As with all other regulators in the UK they appear to be utterly incompetent....
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

This was spectacularly stupid by her and by Starmer. They have essentially undermined the independence of her enquiry. So stupid.
    I'm afraid however the Tories spin it that is very much a side issue. Because unless you are saying that the Met were in on this new job of Grey's, her inquiry into Case and Johnson was ultimately not the key point.
    As far as Boris is concerned its all history now anyway, since he's history now anyway.

But as far as Sunak is concerned, with the rather odd anyway fine he received, it does politically make it look a bit like fruit of the poisoned tree.

And it was completely unnecessary by Starmer. He's beating Sunak anyway, why make such a silly unforced error?

And it would be stretching it somewhat to say that her impartiality or otherwise undermines any disciplinary offences within the CS itself. Not that any of them appear to have been disciplined in any meaningful way.
    G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    I wonder whether the people who misspell names like Sue Grey and Kier Starmer do it through ignorance or think they are being funny at the expense of their rivals? (Hint: if it’s the latter, you’re not - just tedious.)
    In my case, I get Keir Starmer wrong because there's a large construction firm called 'Kier', which I have known since childhood. Familiarity means I think Kier rather than Keir. I do try to catch it though, and I don't think I've done it in a while.
    Typical bloody Scots, can't even spell, eh? :trollface:
  • Options
    The Orkney news is being carried by worldwide news outlets, which shows just how much tripe is pumped out by the news media.

It’s silly season stuff.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    "except after C"

He's going to be the first L Prime Minister after 5 C ones.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,702
    edited July 2023

The Orkney news is being carried by worldwide news outlets, which shows just how much tripe is pumped out by the news media.

It’s silly season stuff.

It's ridiculous. They would never find a vessel strong enough to tow it in the first place.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    "except after C"

It's good to know there are still optimists around who think it will be 5 rather than 6+...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    "except after C"

It's good to know there are still optimists around who think it will be 5 rather than 6+...
    True.

My other response to I before E except after C is to say that expression still surviving shows we live in a weird society.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not so sure that's necessarily the case. There are a lot of patterns on the map that make more sense than it being due to random reporting differences.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,496

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    Just to make it worse for you is another Kier in an industrial/engineering context - a reactor or at least cooking vessel in a paper mill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kier_(industrial)#/media/File:Kugelkocher.jpg
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,211

Stocky said:

Because the size of the tablets was on the original prescription. As opposed to “20mg per day”. The latter is possible - had it done for a family prescription.

A comic example of the effect of literalism - on a firearms certificate there may or may not be a limit on calibre. These days one is always put in. Older certificates often don’t have them. There is no process for the police to *force* adding a calibre limit.

The main gun of a tank is, legally, a really big manual firearm - you have to do a bunch of steps at each shot. So, if you have a firearms certificate without calibre limit, it is completely legal to own a tank with a “live” main gun.

HE and AP ammo is explicitly banned for purchase by FAC holders. So unless your tank can fire round shot (it can't) it's useless as a weapon.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

HE and AP ammo is explicitly banned for purchase by FAC holders. So unless your tank can fire round shot (it can't) it's useless as a weapon.
    What about canister shot?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    "except after C"

True.

My other response to I before E except after C is to say that expression still surviving shows we live in a weird society.
    It would be amply proved if we lived in a wired society.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I don't agree that drunkenness in the UK is frowned upon. It (drunkenness) is often seen as a badge of honour and the vernacular around getting drunk shows that it is perceived as at least not socially unacceptable.

I think the thing that probably helps Britain most is the relative share of beer as opposed to spirits consumption. Vodka is evidently not good for you.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,738
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gove Boris his job back!

G R A Y

G – R – A – Y

FFS.
    "except after C"

When Bozziah returns before GE 24 do we count him once or twice?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

It’s silly season stuff.

On one level it silly season, but on another level I can see why they are doing it - they've never really regarded themselves as Scottish, hate the lack of money the Scottish Government gives them and need a whole new set of ferries in a hurry because the old ones are dying
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think the thing that probably helps Britain most is the relative share of beer as opposed to spirits consumption. Vodka is evidently not good for you.
    Judging by Ireland's figures, Guinness is Good For You.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

This is demented.

We won. Stalin is mainly remembered as a dead twat in a film with Jason Isaacs monstering the buffet.
  • Options
    eek said:

It’s silly season stuff.

On one level it silly season, but on another level I can see why they are doing it - they've never really regarded themselves as Scottish, hate the lack of money the Scottish Government gives them and need a whole new set of ferries in a hurry because the old ones are dying
    It is pure bollocks by one Unionist councillor, more chance of eth Isle of Wight becoming independent.
  • Options
    eek said:

It’s silly season stuff.

On one level it is on another level I can see why they are doing it - they've never really regatded themselves as Scottish, hate the lack of money the Scottish Government gives them and need a whole new set of ferries in a hurry because the old ones are dying
    Eh? Serco and a couple of private family firms operate the ferries to Orkney, and the council itself operates the inter-island services.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,197
    Quincel said:

I think the LDs probably are roughly evens to overtake the SNP, certainly between 4/6 and 6/4, but it depends mostly on the SNP performance rather than the LDs. I prefer the 5/2 available on SNP under 20 seats, though you certainly could see a world where the SNP win 30 seats and the LDs 30-40.

Chances of a tie? That will present a dilemma for PMQs. Probably one question each per week I'd expect.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

If you cark it with a greasy tumbler of Bell's* in your cold dead hand, it's probably fair to assume you're deid of and with drink.

*I'd rather be dead than drink Bell's, and not just because of the UJ.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,738
    Cookie said:

It's a cartel.

There was a guy in Cardiff in the 1980s called Curly Humphreys. He owned a chain of discount stores called Hyper Value. He set up a petrol retailer called Action Stations, he had two outlets, one in Cowbridge Road, Cardiff and one in Dinas Powis. He played the Rotterdam spot markets and was always up to ten pence a GALLON cheaper than Shell, BP, Texaco and Esso. As I recall his enterprise kept going for a while until they squeezed him out with cheaper prices. When he was gone they reverted to type, and price.
  • Options
    eek said:

It’s silly season stuff.

A deracinated Orcadian tweets.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,627

Andy_JS said:

Edit: By some margin. And they're also no slouches when it comes to wine and spirit consumption.
    Can we really trust that the figures are comparable between countries?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,197

Nigelb said:

This is demented.

We won. Stalin is mainly remembered as a dead twat in a film with Jason Isaacs monstering the buffet.
    The mental impact the Death of Stalin has had on popular history must be immense. I read Beevor's Stalingrad last year and just pictured Zhukov as Jason Isaacs. Same with Beria as Simon Russell Beale, every time he comes up in a history text.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072
    BIB - Shame on Rishi.

Rishi Sunak accuses Australia of breaching spirit of cricket with Jonny Bairstow stumping

Prime Minister does not plan to speak to his Australian counterpart about controversial incident on Sunday of Lord's Test

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/07/03/ashes-rishi-sunak-prime-minister-jonny-bairstow-stumping/
  • Options
    Does Rishi still lead the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072
    I fully expect the Aussies to bowl underarm and use Mankads in the remaining three tests.

No wonder they play in yellow.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,635
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

OK..... It's those little things that please you with age.
    I find myself pretending I'm Keith Richards and the statin is actually an 'upper' or a 'downer', depending on whether I've already laid down my solo. I'm 62 but in many ways quite immature.
This discussion has been closed.