Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB majority hits new high in the general election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited June 2023

Totall off topic....how has Castore come from nowhere to be absolutely everywhere in sport in matter of a few years? I don't think i watch a sporting event without them being a sponsor / clothing provider.

They are massively ovetrading.

https://www.nssmag.com/en/sports/32217/le-maglie-castore-hanno-piu-di-un-problema
    I know Andy Murray is an investor, but something doesn't add up. The prominence of mega corps like Nike, Addidas etc seems to be overtaken in the blanketing of sports sponsorships by Castore in past year or two.
    They are trying to go with the Warrior Sports/New Balance approach, which was to offer a huge deal to a big team, Liverpool, and build from that.
    But New Balance is 100 year old company & warrior are well known in ice hockey for 25+ years. So throwing £25 million quid at Liverpool doesn't seem crazy from a company that is already billion dollar established brand (same as Nike tried to get into golf by throwing $100 million at Tiger and Rory, is a tiny part of Nike revenue.).

Where as Castore seem to be everywhere, football, rugby, cricket, tennis. Might be genius business play, just I find it hard to square the circle.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

I've been at work all day, so haven't been able to follow.
    Reading the comments I'd thought England had had a shocker.
    Aren't we in a better position than at stumps last night?

People are reacting a bit strangely - Australia don't have a mammoth total, and anything but a major collapse means England get at least close. I rage at certain things, but they are not in a bad position considering the average scores of those to come and currently in.
    I think it was the silly way we gave away those wickets after tea when the Aussies started bowling short. It seemed such an obvious mistake to keep trying to smash them out the ground
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

Also, am puzzled by viewcode's assertion that Hispanics in Northeast are more pro-Trump than other parts of USA. Because I do NOT believe that's true...

Neither do I: it was a typo. I meant "South-East".

I was trying to differentiate between Hispanics in California/New Mexico and Hispanics in Florida. I got my compass directions upfucked. I be stupid.
    Winviz must now have England at 110% to win ;-)
    kle4 said:

I'm 95% sure this must be a joke, so there's no need to get into a woke debate or anything about approved terminology, but I had to share this solely on the basis that I am fascinated by the process by which I would be expected regularly check with people what term they would prefer here.

https://twitter.com/LeoKearse/status/1674368678832242692/photo/2

"This is what you could have won..."
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Leon said:

Re the SCOTUS decision, it’s not even disfavoured by Hispanics

“The Pew survey shows a clear divide along racial and ethnic lines: A majority of white and Asian adults disapprove of racial consideration in admissions, while Black Americans largely approve and Hispanics are about evenly split”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/29/us/politics/affirmative-action-polls.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

With that demographic breakdown, this will be a popular decision with American voters as a whole, and if Biden fights it (as he says he will) he will be making the next election harder for himself

Or you were right third time and no-one really cares. How many kids are borderline for admission to Harvard in any given election year?
    Lewis Hamilton says Formula 1 should consider further restrictions on car development to stop teams building long periods of domination.

Says man who dominated F1 for many years & now doesn't....
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

...I am fascinated by the process by which I would be expected regularly check with people what term they would prefer here...

I am informed that the Profanisaurus is an entirely reliable guide. :)

Leon said:

“The Pew survey shows a clear divide along racial and ethnic lines: A majority of white and Asian adults disapprove of racial consideration in admissions, while Black Americans largely approve and Hispanics are about evenly split”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/29/us/politics/affirmative-action-polls.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

With that demographic breakdown, this will be a popular decision with American voters as a whole, and if Biden fights it (as he says he will) he will be making the next election harder for himself

Or you were right third time and no-one really cares. How many kids are borderline for admission to Harvard in any given election year?
    But both sides will want to feed this into the wider culture war. And this time it will favour the republicans (whereas Roe v Wade overturned favoured the Dems)

Or indeed it may disappear as an issue
    5 balls to go. Cmon England
    Two
    One
    lol
    Yay
    Stokes batted brilliantly in the last hour.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Hunt handed £2.8bn boost after Bulb rescue cost far less than feared
    Falling gas prices mean the Government will make around £1.21bn on the deal

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/29/hunt-28bn-boost-bulb-rescue-cost-less/ (£££)

He did. Totally smothered the Aussie revival

I’d have England as modest favourites now. With Lyon out
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Survived the day. Great partnership from Stokes and Brook after losing wickets in the evening session.

A finely poised match, possibly with the advantage to England after Lyon’s injury, if he can’t bowl tomorrow.
    Sandpit said:

Survived the day. Great partnership from Stokes and Brook after losing wickets in the evening session.

A finely poised match, possibly with the advantage to England after Lyon’s injury, if he can’t bowl tomorrow.

Lyon could barely walk unaided. Looked horrible

Sad to see but I’d be amazed if he can bowl tomorrow. I’d be amazed if he’s not out for the whole test or more

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    viewcode said:

Also, am puzzled by viewcode's assertion that Hispanics in Northeast are more pro-Trump than other parts of USA. Because I do NOT believe that's true...

Neither do I: it was a typo. I meant "South-East".

I was trying to differentiate between Hispanics in California/New Mexico and Hispanics in Florida. I got my compass directions upfucked. I be stupid.
    No worries. And know you know how Uncle Joe feels!

Differential concentrations by national origin within US Latino "community" is pretty interesting, and also moving feast.

For example, southwest is famous for it's Mexican Americans, which may (or may not) be considered to include, for example, "Spanish Americans" in northern New Mexico & southern Colorado, descendants of Spanish imperial colonization of Upper Rio Grande in 17-18th-cen.

Whereas New York City has been notable as attracting Puerto Ricans since the days of West Side Story.

While for last forty years, equally notable concentration of El Salvadorians in Washington DC metro.

And . . .

Leon said:

Somehow when it really matters Stokes can go into these modes where nothing is going to get him out e.g. Word Cup Finals x 2, batting with Leech etc.
    I can’t remember a more talismanic player for England. He’s also a great captain. Genius at times

More impact than Botham in his prime
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Sandpit said:

I would go for a draw if England get within about 80 on first innings as will be harder to get batsmen out as this pitch develops and if Lyon is removed then there will be less likelihood of bowling England out in their second innings unless Australia rack up a very quick big lead to leave enough time.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Shades of Edgebaston 2019. I wonder if sometimes his players are not quite s switched on as Stokes. He clearly came out to settle things down, get to stumps and go again. Not having Lyon is a huge loss if that’s what happens.

Whatever happens it’s been brilliant entertainment again.Seven days into the series and pretty much every day a belter.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Leon said:

The first hour tomorrow will be crucial. If we lose a couple of early wickets it could look very different.
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Sad to see but I’d be amazed if he can bowl tomorrow. I’d be amazed if he’s not out for the whole test or more

It’s possible that’s his tour done. It’s very compressed (6 weeks), and calves can be a nightmare, even with all the best care. Ironically the speculation before the series was about which fast bowlers would break down…
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

He's not super well liked by his more lefty, progressive, colleagues I gather. He may need to give them something to ensure the more radical ones do not cause more problems?
    Not much. Based on response to his decisions on pipelines & the like, which dismayed enviros but has NOT disaffected them.

Why? Fear of Trump and/or DeSantis. Which is curbing appetite for active opposition to Biden from the Left.

Leon said:

Decision is MUCH broader than just Harvard, will impact (would-be) students in universities from sea to shining sea.

And while it's probably not an electoral game changer, to say that "no-one really cares" is going toooo far.

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

It’s possible that’s his tour done. It’s very compressed (6 weeks), and calves can be a nightmare, even with all the best care. Ironically the speculation before the series was about which fast bowlers would break down…
    What kind of calf injury makes it nearly impossible to walk?

It was quite odd. Ran for a ball then suddenly pulled up. Like a hamstring injury yet it was his calf muscle - and for a moment it was so bad there was talk of a stretcher

Is doctor @foxy about?
    Evening all :)

On to more interesting matters - a slightly better poll for the Conservatives from YouGov but still a substantial Labour lead. The England sub sample has Labour on 48%, Conservatives 25%. LDs 10%, Reform 8% and Greens 7%.

Last week it was 48-23-12 so a slight move from the LDs to the Conservatives but within margin of error.

The current poll represents an 18% swing from Conservative to Labour in England and a 10% swing from Conservative to Liberal Democrat. That's well into landslide territory of course and we are now definitely within the last 19 months of this Parliament.

The slight improvement in Conservative fortunes mirrored by a slight improvement in Sunak's ratings (he trails Starmer 30-24 with 42% undecided)
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

kinabalu said:

All the traditionalists just waiting to pounce on Stokes if we lose this test.

Stokes deserves better support than all the moaning on here when things aren't going well. Absolutely earnt it over his captaincy.
    I think so too. A special sports operative. Hope we win this test. Reckon we will.

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Doctor Google suggests a “torn calf muscle” - it ticks all the boxes

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21696-torn-calf-muscle

If it is that then you’re likely right and his tour is over
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Leon said:

Decision is MUCH broader than just Harvard, will impact (would-be) students in universities from sea to shining sea.

And while it's probably not an electoral game changer, to say that "no-one really cares" is going toooo far.
    Yes. In related news, our air force has done a bad thing with its own affirmative action efforts - https://news.sky.com/story/amp/royal-air-force-illegally-discriminated-against-white-male-recruits-in-bid-to-boost-diversity-inquiry-finds-12911888

They need a new employment lawyer. B)
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

I think you’re right

[EDIT] this is probably the most pointless post ever. Who gives a toss if I think Leon’s right?
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stokes deserves better support than all the moaning on here when things aren't going well. Absolutely earnt it over his captaincy.
    I think so too. A special sports operative. Hope we win this test. Reckon we will.
    Who are these critics of Stokes on PB? I can’t see any

He’s a bloody miracle worker. Even if he loses every single test and 20/20 and ODI from now on I’d still give him a knighthood. Fuck it, a dukedom. He’s won world cups and he’s transformed test cricket

🫡
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    Interesting graphic on this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66051292

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    Ed Vaizey has chipped in to Farage-bank-gate.

Apparently it’s because Farage is a “Politically Exposed Person” and it’s something Vaizey has campaigned on before.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

I think you’re right

[EDIT] this is probably the most pointless post ever. Who gives a toss if I think Leon’s right?
    I do!

Besides, it’s PB and we’re having a day off to chat pointless crap about cricket. It’s refreshing. We will be back to hating each other and partisan abuse and wild arguments about cashless societies and covid origins soon enough

But let us enjoy the sunny days of ashes matches
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    England might be able to more or less level this tomorrow.

Could end in a draw.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

What kind of calf injury makes it nearly impossible to walk?

It was quite odd. Ran for a ball then suddenly pulled up. Like a hamstring injury yet it was his calf muscle - and for a moment it was so bad there was talk of a stretcher

Is doctor @foxy about?
    A grade 2 or 3 tear. Seriously.
    CatMan said:

This can’t be right because @Casino_Royale assured us that Sunak was getting a grip on the boat people.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

I think you’re right

There's plenty of competition.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

That’s the news from the camp too. As an older runner I’m all over calf injuries.
    I am glad affirmative action has been struck down.
    It’s illiberal.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

That’s the news from the camp too. As an older runner I’m all over calf injuries.
    Yes. And Google says 4-8 weeks minimum recovery - and that’s with no exertion. So his ashes
    series is over, probably. Sad. But helpful for England obvs
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    'THE eco-yob carried off the Ashes pitch is the son of a millionaire private equity chief with a £6million mansion whose firm invests in climate change "opportunities"...he Sun can today reveal Knorr’s dad Robert, 54, is managing partner of mega private equity company MidEuropa, which has assets worth £4.5bn.

He and his high-flying NHS doctor wife, who share two other kids, own a £6million gated six-bed mansion in leafy Hampstead, North West London, where celebs like comedian Ricky Gervais live.

A hybrid 19-plate BMW was parked on the driveway of the swanky Spanish villa-style mansion today...Oxford University student Knorr was detained by police after chucking orange powder on to the Lord’s field.

He has now been charged with aggravated trespass.'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22863531/eco-jonny-bairstow-ashes-millionaire-business-mansion/
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,594

CatMan said:

This can’t be right because @Casino_Royale assured us that Sunak was getting a grip on the boat people.
    Small man. Weak grip. Needs to get Clarke on the job.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

I think you’re right

I do!

Besides, it’s PB and we’re having a day off to chat pointless crap about cricket. It’s refreshing. We will be back to hating each other and partisan abuse and wild arguments about cashless societies and covid origins soon enough

But let us enjoy the sunny days of ashes matches
    Bless! It's nice to see my fellow PBers getting so worked up over the most boring "sport" in the world!
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Apparently it’s because Farage is a “Politically Exposed Person” and it’s something Vaizey has campaigned on before.

Yeah, that is what Farage implied it was on a video on Twitter.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited June 2023
    CatMan said:

Some fascinating in-year effects there. For example this year the boats slowed during a long period of strong Easterly winds in May, then picked up. And in 2020 a marked slowdown appears to coincide exactly with France locking back down for Covid in September.
    CatMan said:

We also had a prolonged spell of east and north east winds through the Channel which would have deterred most crossings - there's no point trying to get to England if the wind is blowing you back to France.

The wind is now back in the south west so it'll be interesting to see what the next month brings.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

What does that mean? I see Farage is claiming that he was told it was a commercial decision and even had a call from the chairman. I'm no fan of his and wouldn't necessarily trust his version of events. Toby Young claiming that people are having their bank accounts closed for expressing the wrong views. It does sound very odd.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451

Could end in a draw.

Not unless the weather intervenes. The game is moving on very quickly.

• MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    HYUFD said:

'THE eco-yob carried off the Ashes pitch is the son of a millionaire private equity chief with a £6million mansion whose firm invests in climate change "opportunities"...he Sun can today reveal Knorr’s dad Robert, 54, is managing partner of mega private equity company MidEuropa, which has assets worth £4.5bn.

He and his high-flying NHS doctor wife, who share two other kids, own a £6million gated six-bed mansion in leafy Hampstead, North West London, where celebs like comedian Ricky Gervais live.

A hybrid 19-plate BMW was parked on the driveway of the swanky Spanish villa-style mansion today...Oxford University student Knorr was detained by police after chucking orange powder on to the Lord’s field.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22863531/eco-jonny-bairstow-ashes-millionaire-business-mansion/

Seems to tick all the right boxes, then. Conservatism is a moral crusade to ensure that he inherits, free of tax, the £6million gated six-bed mansion, or it is nothing.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

That sounds horrible, he might be on the plane home, although presumably will be somewhere in Harley St tomorrow morning.

IIRC he can be replaced as a fielder, but neither as bowler nor batsman.

Which reminds me of one of my favourite Ashes moments and pub quiz questions. The answer, of course, is Gary Pratt.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TxiSWKYjc20
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    HYUFD said:

Your politics of envy are so unConservative.
    edited June 2023
    [deleted]
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Yes. And Google says 4-8 weeks minimum recovery - and that’s with no exertion. So his ashes
    Leon - what do you make of Farage allegedly having his bank accounts closed because of his political views?
    edited June 2023
    Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Seems to tick all the right boxes, then. Conservatism is a moral crusade to ensure that he inherits, free of tax, the £6million gated six-bed mansion, or it is nothing.
    Fine (or at least up to £1 million IHT free) but he still shouldn't disrupt a cricket match spectators have paid a lot of money for tickets for, most of whom will be less wealthy than his family. If he is so anti fossil fuels he should stand for the Green Party instead

Could end in a draw.

Not sure I agree with that. Over 5 days, 40 wickets are needed assuming no declarations (it’s overly simplistic, but you get the point). So each day 8 wickets are ‘expected’. We’ve had 14, so two short.

What is different to years back is the number of runs. 416 plus 278, so the best part of 700 runs in two days.

Seeing how England players got out, you could argue all four were self inflicted. The Aussies have a good line up, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s rather hard to bowl them out again.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon - what do you make of Farage allegedly having his bank accounts closed because of his political views?
    How does he know it is because of his political rules rather than (hypothetical example) fraud, sanctions busting or money laundering? He said he didn't know why the accounts were frozen.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Surely with 2 sibs it would only be £2 million?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Give him an hour or two so he has time to consult with a Muslim cabbie.
    Some more (slightly wonky) evidence for my contention that one of Britain’s umpteen issues is oligopolistic markets.

https://twitter.com/gilesyb/status/1674426388592615424?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Hopefully we can get 150 more off 25 overs, keeps it competitive, could still be a Day 5 finish target 330 👍
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451

Could end in a draw.

Not sure I agree with that. Over 5 days, 40 wickets are needed assuming no declarations (it’s overly simplistic, but you get the point). So each day 8 wickets are ‘expected’. We’ve had 14, so two short.

What is different to years back is the number of runs. 416 plus 278, so the best part of 700 runs in two days.

Seeing how England players got out, you could argue all four were self inflicted. The Aussies have a good line up, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s rather hard to bowl them out again.

For me, it's somewhat brave/foolhardy to believe England would be able to bat out significant time in a fourth innings.

kinabalu said:

Do you think there's something wrong with being a cricket traditionalist?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

There are a Hundred fanatics at the ECB who do.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Outrageous. Unless the banks have some slam dunk evidence of crime or fraud. I’d say the same if they came for Corbyn

A bank account is now a human right as you cannot function without one. The government needs to make a new law if this is really happening
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

HYUFD said:

Exactly what was confusing me. HYUFD is normally so in favour of posh universities such as Oxford and Cambridge because we are supposed to grovel to their products, ditto people who will gain massively from recent and future increases to IHT allowances. He ought to be performing proskynesis to this young gentleman.
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Outrageous. Unless the banks have some slam dunk evidence of crime or fraud. I’d say the same if they came for Corbyn

A bank account is now a human right as you cannot function without one. The government needs to make a new law if this is really happening
    HMG used to provide a basic bank account to everyone. Slight problem: it got privatised.

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

2023 crossings are below 2022.

Could end in a draw.

For me, it's somewhat brave/foolhardy to believe England would be able to bat out significant time in a fourth innings.

Evidence of the last 13 months says they can. I have been surprised by today. I was worried that after the last match the cracks were showing, but they’ve had a good day, even with the minor collapse.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

I make no statement of whether there's anything malicious in the claim or not, but I think Stu Campbell of Wings blogo fame was saying a very similar thing happened to him recently (bank accounts being closed without much explanation).

Wonder if it was the same bank.

Camden absolutely rammed on a sunny Thursday evening. Every restaurant full

Was the same in King’s Cross on Tuesday. Jammers (where Coal Drops Yard has exploded into life: finally and deservedly)

If we are teetering on the edge of recession it’s quite a soft edge
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Fine (or at least up to £1 million IHT free) but he still shouldn't disrupt a cricket match spectators have paid a lot of money for tickets for, most of whom will be less wealthy than his family. If he is so anti fossil fuels he should stand for the Green Party instead
    Doesn't it strike you that one of society's winners is acting in such a way? People with such privilege who nevertheless break the law because they feel that the political situation is so inadequate.

Whatever your feelings about these people and what they do, the more you point out (selectively, of course, which is a whole other problem) those who are wealthy, the more interesting the whole thing seems to me.

It's no longer just the economy, stupid.
    Children of very wealthy people can indulge in whatever they like, with little to no consequence.
    edited June 2023

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

8 per cent [edit: reduction] at an eyeball check. Maaahooosive drop, no?

And we have yet to see what the weather permits over the next three months.

Some more (slightly wonky) evidence for my contention that one of Britain’s umpteen issues is oligopolistic markets.

https://twitter.com/gilesyb/status/1674426388592615424?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

Your contentions are based on the premise that Britain is damned and the US couldn't be better, and is a supreme level of confirmation bias that's so strong it's almost performance art.
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Cricket has always changed. Take the bowling of the Aussies today. Back in the interwar years this kind of bowling nearly caused a diplomatic incident between the two countries. We now have shots that are firmly part of the batsman armoury such as the reverse sweep, that previous generations would never have dreamed of.

What’s interesting is that the traditional way wasn’t working for England so they have launched another way. It’s working, broadly. But perhaps the critics have a point that there is sometimes a time to be a tad more cautious.

Terrific fun though.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn't it strike you that one of society's winners is acting in such a way? People with such privilege who nevertheless break the law because they feel that the political situation is so inadequate.

Whatever your feelings about these people and what they do, the more you point out (selectively, of course, which is a whole other problem) those who are wealthy, the more interesting the whole thing seems to me.

Children of very wealthy people can indulge in whatever they like, with little to no consequence.
    If they don't want their inheritance, I'll happily have it instead.
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

If they don't want their inheritance, I'll happily have it instead.
    That's the Residence Nil Rate Band gone.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Hat tip for proskynesis.
    You learn summat every day on here.
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Was the same in King’s Cross on Tuesday. Jammers (where Coal Drops Yard has exploded into life: finally and deservedly)

It wasn't that long ago that Kings Cross still resembled a bomb site. 2005 perhaps.
    dixiedean said:

Hat tip for proskynesis.
    You learn summat every day on here.

Been rereading some of the Harry Sidebottom novels re Isengrim the Barbarian.

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

And while Daddy might not be too happy at his boy’s behaviour yesterday, he’ll certainly be getting him the best lawyer he can find, to make sure a non-custodial sentence is the result.
    Carnyx said:

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

They've been steadily increasing year on year.

Sunak's deals have killed the Albanian route and got the French to up their interception rate.

Still a way to go but I've no doubt 2023 would be running much higher than 2022 already were it not for those.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

This 'PM flies in helicopter; LOTO takes the train" seems a little like nonsense. A PM does have rather more to do than a LOTO. Like run the country.

I look forward to PM Starmer never flying around the country in a helicopter. They even did a portrait of Blair in one:
    https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw135230/Tony-Blair-Helicopter-Flight-from-RAF-Lyneham-to-Battersea

Or this:
    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/blair-talks-uk-economy-flying-2913702

Or this:
    https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/1397294.prime-minister-tony-blair-drops-in-on-halesowen-school/

etc, etc.

I think you might have missed the point.

The one who has pulled his own pants down and given himself a good spanking is Greg Hands by his Tweet. Without Hands's Tweet Sunak wouldn't have been brought into the ironic comedy.
    That seems a rather odd thing to say. And you've obviously missed the other times Sunak's travel arrangements have been cricitised.
    Sunak's travel arrangements were highlighted for debate by Hands's ridiculous Tweet and the comedic and ironic reaction thereof.

Keep up!
    You mean Greg Hands' tweet today caused the Guardian to write an article last month? My goodness, Hands has an amazing temporal power!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/09/sunak-helicopter-train-southampton-prime-minister-rail

(To be clear; Sunak's travel arrangements were obviously up for debate well before Hands' tweet.)
    Without Hands's Tweet ProudGranny24 wouldn't have brought the Guardian article up again and reminded us Starmer takes the Train whilst Sunak (has in the recent past) let the RAF take the strain.

And as to your "well Blair did it" defence. I don't believe that particular warmonger has been PM for almost two decades.
    I hate to keep this conversation going after so long, but at least it's more interesting than the circket...

Do you agree with the Guardian article's premise?
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Personally I couldn't care less how Sunak gets around.

However if I were a political candidate and I was looking for another term in high office I would try to give the impression I was a man of the people, even if I was a multi billionaire, particularly in times of hardship that were being laid at my door by my political opponents, So if I were Rishi Rich, I would be using peasant quality public transport.
    Leon said:

No one is suggesting that of course.

What we are seeing is a sharp rise in personal debt as people empty out their Covid cash stocks and have to go back to borrowing on the plastic to keep the good times rolling.

As for deriving the state of the overall economy from a summer Thursday evening in Camden - fine. If it were that easy, we could sack all the forecasters and economists.

It's also perhaps indicative of a change of habits as a result of the pandemic - some parts of London now flourish on a Thursday which is the new Friday since everyone works at home on a Friday (apparently).

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Not true, I was docked my allowance when I stayed up to 5am listen to the 1992 world cup matches on school nights.

A harsh lesson I learned as a callow thirteen year old.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

An interesting thing about that chart is the massive increase post-2019. If the pre-2019 figures matched 2019's, then it shows something, or things, very significantly changed to make people come over. So what changed? The UK becoming a popular destination? Traffickers finding a ready market? French government actions? UK government actions? Other routes (e.g. flights) becoming more difficult?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly what was confusing me. HYUFD is normally so in favour of posh universities such as Oxford and Cambridge because we are supposed to grovel to their products, ditto people who will gain massively from recent and future increases to IHT allowances. He ought to be performing proskynesis to this young gentleman.
    I know, he's such a hypocrite.
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I've got a measure of HYUFD. It's all about hierarchy. There are signifiers of high social status, and although a degree from a "good" university is one of them, the signifiers themselves exist in a hierarchy. And political purity is one of the highest. So an Oxford graduate who is a conservative is thus above an Oxford graduate who is a liberal, or socialist, or green. And a conservative with no degree is above still above a liberal aristo with a PhD.
    He's not averse to transgressing the hierarchies or even reversing them completely when he wants to prove that a person who is "impure" is indeed impure. So a posh background is a thing to be vaunted in a neutral scenario, but when the person in question is politically suspect, it's a stick to beat them with.

For all his preaching of ideological purity, his lower-order categories are incredibly fluid in the service of the higher-order ones.
    He was praising the old C18 order in the countryside a while back - basically squires and C of E rectors and then the peasants in their hovels - as the right order of society in Shropshire at the time of the by election, at which the peasants were evidently not grovelling enough.

Mind, he hasn't put forward any sumptuary laws. Yet.

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

An interesting thing about that chart is the massive increase post-2019. If the pre-2019 figures matched 2019's, then it shows something, or things, very significantly changed to make people come over. So what changed? The UK becoming a popular destination? Traffickers finding a ready market? French government actions? UK government actions? Other routes (e.g. flights) becoming more difficult?
    Yes. The route was tested during Covid due to necessity - flights being shut down, unlikely otherwise as it looks risky - and was found to be both feasible and a massive loophole that fuelled a credible trafficking business model.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Leon said:

Such anecdata aren't particularly revealing. There are always plenty of people who do very nicely, thank you very much, during recessions. It's how come that, for example, we still have so many luxury hotels that were trading before 2008.

If the latest economic debacle culminates in double digit interest rates for several years and a tsunami of repossessions, I'm nonetheless quite sure that fashionable eateries in fashionable spots won't struggle for custom.

Carnyx said:

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

Sunak's deals have killed the Albanian route and got the French to up their interception rate.

Still a way to go but I've no doubt 2023 would be running much higher than 2022 already were it not for those.
    Well, that's your assertion based on very little.

The prevalence of east and north east winds would have reduced crossings in any case as those trying to get to England faced being blown either down the Channel or back to France.

Statistics now are unhelpful - let's see where we are in August or September. I imagine whatever the case, Sunak will be facing pressure from some desperate activists at the Conservative Conference in September/October to put some severe anti-migrant proposals in the next manifesto.
  • England might be able to more or less level this tomorrow.

Could end in a draw.

Unless bad weather intervenes I'd suggest 14 is about par, not 2 short.

Not all wickets are the same, the tail can be lost much quicker. I'd suggest losing 4 wickets is probably a bit over halfway through the second innings, so around par for 16/40.

Put it this way, Eng are 278/4 and I'd be truly amazed if we make it to 556 all out, let alone 695 to have 60% of our first innings remaining.
    edited June 2023

Carnyx said:

CatMan said:

You must be blind.

But that graph shows that Mr Sunak is barely coping with the trade as it is, even in bad weather.

That's not what he promised, any more than the current inflation is what he promised when he sasid he'd halve it.

Edit: that is a cumulative line, so the rate of crossing now is markefly worse than this time last year, partly no doubt to the weather hold up.

Could end in a draw.

Unless bad weather intervenes I'd suggest 14 is about par, not 2 short.

Not all wickets are the same, the tail can be lost much quicker. I'd suggest losing 4 wickets is probably a bit over halfway through the second innings, so around par for 16/40.

Put it this way, Eng are 278/4 and I'd be truly amazed if we make it to 556 all out, let alone 695 to have 60% of our first innings remaining.
    That’s fair enough, and I did say it was overly simplistic. I was more countering the idea that the match is moving particularly quickly. We’ve had many, many three and four day tests in recent years. This may end up as another, but some play on the fifth seems likely.
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

If he was a genuine gentleman he would be sitting in the Pavilion Enclosure with MCC tie on followed by lunch in the long room, not throwing paint on the pitch!

Inherited wealth comes with an expected way to behave
This discussion has been closed.