Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB majority hits new high in the general election betting – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 2023 in General
imageLAB majority hits new high in the general election betting – politicalbetting.com

Given the way that almost all of the polls have moved even more away from the Tories in recent weeks, it is hard to argue that punters have got this wrong.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited June 2023
    Yes but Starmer is only a millionaire, Sunak is son in law of a billionaire. He and his wife have a combined net worth of £730million. So of course he will sometimes use helicopters for longer journeys (albeit trains probably safer).
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/explained/inside-rishi-sunak-wealth-net-worth-prime-minister-salary/#:~:text=What is Rishi Sunak's net,with his wife Akshata Murty.

I do expect Selby to be very close however between Labour and the Conservatives
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Second like Sunak?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Would have thought there were better use of activists time then lining them up to look like fools as your opponent arrives even before the tweet underneath...
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    HYUFD said:

Yes but Starmer is only a millionaire, Sunak is son in law of a billionaire.

Mr Sunak's helicopter flights are becoming the 2020s equivalent of burning £50 notes in front of Oxford dossers.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    "Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

A huge opportunity for
    @RishiSunak. Turn the volume up all the way to 10 on "Stop The Boats". Cast iron pledge to Leave ECHR. "I'll do whatever it takes to complete the Brexit Project, oppose The Blob & finally give the British people what they want --full control of their own borders". Go hard. And keep going."

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1674384966363250688
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    I doubt people give much of a damn about stupid tweets one way or the other, even the minority of the population that's actually on Twitter, almost all of whom are already convinced one way or the other.

The only person on Twitter I follow (through Google) is Darth Putin. He justifies Twitter's existence on his own.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    The view on exiting Selby railway station is bad enough without a load of Conservative members shouting at you :open_mouth:

Flatten that industrial unit and you'd have a pretty clear view across a park to Selby Abbey
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    eek said:

Would have thought there were better use of activists time then lining them up to look like fools as your opponent arrives even before the tweet underneath...

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe a grand plan will reveal itself in time.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    SKS fans please explain.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited June 2023
    Extraordinary claim by Farage.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1674357026921623552

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage
    The establishment are trying to force me out of the UK by closing my bank accounts. I have been given no explanation or recourse as to why this is happening to me. This is serious political persecution at the very highest level of our system. If they can do it to me, they can do it to you too"
    OT Top Countdown final earlier. Try and see a replay if you care about hard sums and 9-letter words you've never heard of.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

A huge opportunity for
    @RishiSunak. Turn the volume up all the way to 10 on "Stop The Boats". Cast iron pledge to Leave ECHR. "I'll do whatever it takes to complete the Brexit Project, oppose The Blob & finally give the British people what they want --full control of their own borders". Go hard. And keep going."

Just go.
    eek said:

Comfort campaigning.

They should be out canvassing.

Greg Hands is proving to be a bad Chairman.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Mr Sunak's helicopter flights are becoming the 2020s equivalent of burning £50 notes in front of Oxford dossers.
    Yes and I bet it is us paying them , they for sure will not be coming out of his £730M
    HYUFD said:

Yes but Starmer is only a millionaire, Sunak is son in law of a billionaire. He and his wife have a combined net worth of £730million. So of course he will sometimes use helicopters for longer journeys ...

My favourite Tory parody account.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage
    The establishment are trying to force me out of the UK by closing my bank accounts. I have been given no explanation or recourse as to why this is happening to me. This is serious political persecution at the very highest level of our system. If they can do it to me, they can do it to you too"

Weird way of forcing someone out of the country.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    So juvenile by Hands. They just don't get it.
    edited June 2023
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and I bet it is us paying them , they for sure will not be coming out of his £730M
    Some are RAF ones. Others are private, out of his money [edit] or party/donor money or in kind (in other words, by definition they are not needed for Government business). Both look bad at a time of energy crisis and climate crisis, and government and family financial crisis.
    edited June 2023
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

A huge opportunity for

I'd like to believe this doesn't get you anywhere near winning an election in the UK.

I do believe it given the Brexit vote result, where getting the votes of:
    1. the people who would back this kind of crap
    +
    2. the non-frothers persuing (their own idea of) sovereignty
    +
    3. the socially liberal economic libertarians
    +
    4. the generally shafted and rightly pissed off who wanted to stick it to Cameron and the elite
    still only got to 52%

2. e.g. Richard Tyndal
    3. e.g. Bart
    4. parts of the so-called 'Red Wall'
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Pulpstar said:

Hands also displaying numeracy challenges in the header tweet. There aren't 'dozens' of Conservative activists there; I make it 22. What a pillock.

Pulpstar said:

Hands also displaying numeracy challenges in the header tweet. There aren't 'dozens' of Conservative activists there; I make it 22. What a pillock.
    There are dozens of shy Conservatives off camera :wink:
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

There are dozens of shy Conservatives off camera :wink:
    Add the photographer, and the Daily Telegraph reporter, and that's two dozen I suppose.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited June 2023
    SCOTUS rules against affirmative action. 6-3.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,056
    Pulpstar said:

Implications for POTUS2024? Trump loses Florida?
    Customers withdraw record amount of savings in May
    There was £4.6bn more withdrawn than paid into bank and building society accounts, the Bank of England said.
    The latest figure marks a sharp turnaround from April when net deposits saw £3.7bn added to bank and building society accounts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66051711

Everyone bar Nigel Farage was taking money out.

There was £4.6bn more withdrawn than paid into bank and building society accounts, the Bank of England said.
    The latest figure marks a sharp turnaround from April when net deposits saw £3.7bn added to bank and building society accounts.

Um, isn't this a big problem? Interest rate rises are supposed to take money out of the system by imprisoning it in savings accounts and similar? If that isn't happening, whence the rationale for interest rate rises?

Is there a seasonal effect I don't know about? Do people take money out in May usually?

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

A huge opportunity for

Goodwin completes his rapid journey, or descent, from respected academic to shrill Faragist, I see.
    "continues"
    viewcode said:

Um, isn't this a big problem? Interest rate rises are supposed to take money out of the system by imprisoning it in savings accounts and similar? If that isn't happening, whence the rationale for interest rate rises?

Is there a seasonal effect I don't know about? Do people take money out in May usually?
    Costd of living, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/29/uk-households-withdrawing-savings-at-fastest-ever-rate-official-figures-show
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

eek said:

Comfort campaigning.

They should be out canvassing.

Greg Hands is proving to be a bad Chairman.
    I've met Greg Hands on a number of occasions and he seemed perfectly clever and affable but it strikes me that he's in the wrong job. Pretending to be some kind of hyper-partisan attack dog for the "stop the boats" iteration of the Tory party really can't be what he went into politics for and it's unsurprising that he isn't terribly convincing in this role.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

A huge opportunity for

Goodwin has gone from insightful commentator to one trick pony.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    This 'PM flies in helicopter; LOTO takes the train" seems a little like nonsense. A PM does have rather more to do than a LOTO. Like run the country.

I look forward to PM Starmer never flying around the country in a helicopter. They even did a portrait of Blair in one:
    https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw135230/Tony-Blair-Helicopter-Flight-from-RAF-Lyneham-to-Battersea

Or this:
    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/blair-talks-uk-economy-flying-2913702

Or this:
    https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/1397294.prime-minister-tony-blair-drops-in-on-halesowen-school/

etc, etc.

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

One one level yes. On another level, a very effective way of shutting down someones life.

While I despise the man, the way that you can be black balled (ha!) without explanation and very little recourse from any bank is concerning. Especially since it doesn't have to be hard evidence based.

A further concern is that this is often outsourced to third parties. With the result that multiple banks and card issuers are using the same system to identify "problem customers".

So a provider of anti-fraud data decides that all seals in the legal profession are dodgy. Maybe a childhood trauma involving the zoo and a writ?

Suddenly, your bank accounts are shut down. Your car loan is recalled. Your mortgage....
    First they came for Nigel Farage, and I said nothing ‘cos I don’t like Nigel Farage…
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/29/uk-households-withdrawing-savings-at-fastest-ever-rate-official-figures-show
    The money withdrawn will also include mortgage and other loan payments I would assume so there has probably been a big rise without anyone actually withdrawing any money in the commonly understood sense
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

One one level yes. On another level, a very effective way of shutting down someones life.

While I despise the man, the way that you can be black balled (ha!) without explanation and very little recourse from any bank is concerning. Especially since it doesn't have to be hard evidence based.

A further concern is that this is often outsourced to third parties. With the result that multiple banks and card issuers are using the same system to identify "problem customers".

So a provider of anti-fraud data decides that all seals in the legal profession are dodgy. Maybe a childhood trauma involving the zoo and a writ?

Suddenly, your bank accounts are shut down. Your car loan is recalled. Your mortgage....
    First they came for Nigel Farage, and I said nothing ‘cos I don’t like Nigel Farage…
    I suppose the accounts were in credit? Just wondering.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Disgraceful language from the stain on humanity. What a truly dreadful woman .
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Sandpit said:

Second like Sunak?

Is the question mark doubting that he will finish above the SNP and/or LDs?
    S&A postal vote has arrived. There's a Nick Palmer (Ind) on the candidate list. Now, I'm not saying it's the @NickPalmer , but... :wink:
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Except they first came for many ordinary plebs over the last few years.

This 'PM flies in helicopter; LOTO takes the train" seems a little like nonsense. A PM does have rather more to do than a LOTO. Like run the country.

I look forward to PM Starmer never flying around the country in a helicopter. They even did a portrait of Blair in one:
    https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw135230/Tony-Blair-Helicopter-Flight-from-RAF-Lyneham-to-Battersea

Or this:
    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/blair-talks-uk-economy-flying-2913702

Or this:
    https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/1397294.prime-minister-tony-blair-drops-in-on-halesowen-school/

etc, etc.

My favourite helicopter story was Sturgeon spending £35k to hire one for a week, in the run-up to an election in which she wasn’t standing.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14217367.snp-spent-35-000-election-sturgeon-copter/
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

I think you might have missed the point.

The one who has pulled his own pants down and given himself a good spanking is Greg Hands by his Tweet. Without Hands's Tweet Sunak wouldn't have been brought into the ironic comedy.

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Indeed, with very little in the way of mainstream media coverage. It’s genuinely scary.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854
    Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Closing them, Mr Farage, or just blocking them? Lots of people have them blocked, and then have to turn up in person at their branch to get them unblocked. Wherever that nearest branch happens to be these days.

That is the real scandal.
    Nice personal letter from Sunak, urging me to vote for the Con candidate as she's a barrister with a history of putting bad people in prison. I can only assume he's also a Stamer fan...
    Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Not to worry.

His wife, children and girlfriend all have EU citizenship. He shouldn't have too much trouble relocating to one of the 27 countries- unlike myself!
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Closing them, Mr Farage, or just blocking them? Lots of people have them blocked, and then have to turn up in person at their branch to get them unblocked. Wherever that nearest branch happens to be these days.

It sounds like closure via CIFAS markers.

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

The one who has pulled his own pants down and given himself a good spanking is Greg Hands by his Tweet. Without Hands's Tweet Sunak wouldn't have been brought into the ironic comedy.
    That seems a rather odd thing to say. And you've obviously missed the other times Sunak's travel arrangements have been cricitised.
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

When Farage says anything, he's either lying, saying it for personal benefit or, more likely, both.
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Everyone should have the right to a basic bank account including direct debits and card payments. Especially if we are talking about banning cash at some point.

If it gets to the stage where someone is closed by their bank and rejected by another six, not quite sure why tipping off rules apply. It is bleeding obvious and they are tipped off already. So at that point the complaints against them should be shared and open to challenge in a court of law.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

The decision will be immensely popular with Asian communities. Especially East Asian

Swings both ways

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

That seems a rather odd thing to say. And you've obviously missed the other times Sunak's travel arrangements have been cricitised.
    Sunak's travel arrangements were highlighted for debate by Hands's ridiculous Tweet and the comedic and ironic reaction thereof.

Keep up!
    Sandpit said:

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

My favourite helicopter story was Sturgeon spending £35k to hire one for a week, in the run-up to an election in which she wasn’t standing.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14217367.snp-spent-35-000-election-sturgeon-copter/
    But her party was ...

Routine for UK PMs to visit Scotland during Holyrood elections. Apart from Mr J in 2021, but there were other reasons for that.

edited June 2023
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

The decision will be immensely popular with Asian communities. Especially East Asian

Swings both ways
    And Trump will be taking the credit, with his appointments to the Supreme Court. Asian-American communities have been lobbying hard against this racism for years.
    Climate Party look superficially interesting...

The Green Party may be watermelons; Climate Party appear to be... um, what fruit is green on the outside and blue on the inside? A mouldy bilberry?
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

That doesn't actually sound that onerous. Far worse is if they refuse to tell you why it is blocked or how to unblock it.
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

The money withdrawn will also include mortgage and other loan payments I would assume so there has probably been a big rise without anyone actually withdrawing any money in the commonly understood sense
    It does seem to say savings accounts, but transfers to current accounts for the reason you suggest would also be covered by that.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    Nathan Lyon off with calf injury
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Another fun one. The police search the hard drive of your computer. They find a file they can't open - appears to be gibberish. They claim it is password protected and demand the key.

Not providing the key, when asked under legal sanction is a crime.

Forgot the key - no defence? Never had the key - good luck....

If the file is just a pile of random numbers - you will have to prove that.
    one for @HYUFD

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

Sunak's travel arrangements were highlighted for debate by Hands's ridiculous Tweet and the comedic and ironic reaction thereof.

Keep up!
    You mean Greg Hands' tweet today caused the Guardian to write an article last month? My goodness, Hands has an amazing temporal power!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/09/sunak-helicopter-train-southampton-prime-minister-rail

(To be clear; Sunak's travel arrangements were obviously up for debate well before Hands' tweet.)

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

That doesn't actually sound that onerous. Far worse is if they refuse to tell you why it is blocked or how to unblock it.
    That’s what happened to the Triggernometry guys.

https://twitter.com/triggerpod/status/1659563447305089024

Basically we no longer wish you give you a bank account, that’s a final decision and we have no interest in discussing this any further.

They kicked up a stink and it was eventually reinstated, including a social media campaign and some very expensive lawyers from the Free Speech Union.

ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

That's the problem with CIFAS markers (and many other things). you can't say anything about why the issue is occurring for want of ending up with criminal charges yourself (extreme example but there are numerous examples of people revealing things at banks (even unwittingly) only to discover they are out due to gross misconduct)..
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

It might be CoL related but might not be. Households might be deliberately drawing down savings or it might reflect less lending (since the creation of banking sector assets - loans - implies equal creation of banking sector liabilities - deposits) or households may be switching from liquid assets to non-liquid asset holdings. It is always tempting to draw obvious conclusions from these data but the story isn't necessarily the obvious one. Especially because macro data don't necessarily allow the same interpretation as data for an individual. For instance, if an individual deposit decreases it will almost certainly be matched by an increase in another person or business's deposit, not by a decline in the overall level of deposits.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Another fun one. The police search the hard drive of your computer. They find a file they can't open - appears to be gibberish. They claim it is password protected and demand the key.

Of course, it wouldn't even have to be a file as you can store data without a file system.

It might be an unused partition that you wiped with random data and someone takes a dislike to.

There's a lot of failure to understand technicalities when it comes to legislation. Look at this plan to break end to end encryption that keeps coming back.

Combined with people losing social credit - which is essentially what this is about - it really isn't good.

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

No, he is right. It was CCHQ (G Hands, prop) who started this. On the wider point, I'd agree with you and have often suggested it is a mistake to play on Sunak's wealth, but it wasn't Labour who lined up Conservative activists at the station.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Bazball strikes again.

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

"If the file is just a pile of random numbers"...

It's probably just some of my code. ;)

(Actually, truly random numbers can be rather valuable. Just say you're working for GCHQ...)

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Of course, it wouldn't even have to be a file as you can store data without a file system.

It might be an unused partition that you wiped with random data and someone takes a dislike to.

There's a lot of failure to understand technicalities when it comes to legislation. Look at this plan to break end to end encryption that keeps coming back.

Combined with people losing social credit - which is essentially what this is about - it really isn't good.
    Watching politicians continually attempting to ban mathematics, would be very funny if it wasn’t so damn serious.

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

Keep up!
    You mean Greg Hands' tweet today caused the Guardian to write an article last month? My goodness, Hands has an amazing temporal power!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/09/sunak-helicopter-train-southampton-prime-minister-rail

(To be clear; Sunak's travel arrangements were obviously up for debate well before Hands' tweet.)
    Without Hands's Tweet ProudGranny24 wouldn't have brought the Guardian article up again and reminded us Starmer takes the Train whilst Sunak (has in the recent past) let the RAF take the strain.

And as to your "well Blair did it" defence. I don't believe that particular warmonger has been PM for almost two decades.
    England will struggle to avoid the follow on.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    What on earth was Pope thinking? They are scoring at a good rate but they are still a long way behind. There was no need for something so reckless.

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

No, he is right. It was CCHQ (G Hands, prop) who started this. On the wider point, I'd agree with you and have often suggested it is a mistake to play on Sunak's wealth, but it wasn't Labour who lined up Conservative activists at the station.
    Please tell me, how did Hands lead to the Guardian writing that article last month?

When Blair and Brown travelled by helicopter, was it their 'wealth' that allowed them to do it, or because it made the trip and job possible?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    And a second wicket gifted to the Aussies.

Will Root go for the ramp straight up?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601

England will struggle to avoid the follow on.

A little bit pessimistic maybe?

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

Please tell me, how did Hands lead to the Guardian writing that article last month?

When Blair and Brown travelled by helicopter, was it their 'wealth' that allowed them to do it, or because it made the trip and job possible?
    As I said, on the wider point, I agree with you. In this instance, however, it was a CCHQ stunt that has backfired.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Swings both ways
    And Trump will be taking the credit, with his appointments to the Supreme Court. Asian-American communities have been lobbying hard against this racism for years.
    Affirmative action, as it has evolved, has become absolutely racist

Asian Americans are deliberately marked down on “likeability” and “sociability” - because they are often more introverted, scholastic and hard working - so the universities can let in more black Americans with much lower SAT scores than Asians

How can that possibly be acceptable? Outright racism. SCOTUS has made the correct decision

• MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Phew
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Swings both ways
    It does. East Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Korean: US uses the phrase "Asian" differently to us) are concentrated on the West Coast, where Biden is strongest, but the pro-Trump Hispanics are North-East coast (the other Hispanics are other: it's not a monolithic bloc). What will the overall effect be, one wonders.
    Good to see the visitors being just as bad with the no-balls, as we were yesterday.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    edited June 2023
    Have we done YouGov yet? :lol:

LAB: 46% (-1)
    CON: 24% (+2)
    LDM: 10% (-1)
    RFM: 8% (+1)
    GRN: 7% (-1)
    SNP: 3% (=)

Via @YouGov, 27-28 Jun.
    Changes w/ 20-21 Jun.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1674413501362888704
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

Keep up!

Without Hands's Tweet ProudGranny24 wouldn't have brought the Guardian article up again and reminded us Starmer takes the Train whilst Sunak (has in the recent past) let the RAF take the strain.

And as to your "well Blair did it" defence. I don't believe that particular warmonger has been PM for almost two decades.
    G-MAOL is operated by Sloane Helicopters, I believe, not the RAF.

Man of the people Rishi Sunak uses Sloane Helicopters - you couldn't make it up.
    Fucksake England. Time to start batting like Boycott

This sentiment is entirely unrelated to my possession of a ticket for the fifth day at Lord’s

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

As I said, on the wider point, I agree with you. In this instance, however, it was a CCHQ stunt that has backfired.
    The majority of such stunts are infantile at best. But how does a nobody tweeting an article from a month ago that makes a bogus point (and I think you agree with me on that) mean 'the stunt' has backfired?

IMV the article is based on a bogus premise. How is someone irrelevantly tweeting it suddenly a really important addition to the debate?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Leon said:

This sentiment is entirely unrelated to my possession of a ticket for the fifth day at Lord’s

A man who likes his politics as entertaining and his sport as boring as possible.

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

To put it simply, don't mock the opposition leader for being a rich Londoner member of the metropolitan elite when your own leader is a richer Londoner* member of the metropolitan elite

*he lives in that there London, albeit for good reasons (and Richmond is as good as another country for many residents of S&A, so that doesn't realy help either - the closest link many have to Richmond is once having eaten a 'Richmond' sausage)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Swings both ways
    It does. East Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Korean: US uses the phrase "Asian" differently to us) are concentrated on the West Coast, where Biden is strongest, but the pro-Trump Hispanics are North-East coast (the other Hispanics are other: it's not a monolithic bloc). What will the overall effect be, one wonders.
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674422849011089411

The New York Times says that it “all but ensures that elite institutions will become whiter and more Asian and less Black and Latino”.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Selebian said:

S&A postal vote has arrived. There's a Nick Palmer (Ind) on the candidate list. Now, I'm not saying it's the @NickPalmer , but... :wink:

Can I sue for personation???

Sandpit said:

Or this:

Or this:

etc, etc.

So that’s why she bought the camper van.
    Good call. We need to recruit you to Peter and Nippy's defence team right away.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

A man who likes his politics as entertaining and his sport as boring as possible.
    Actually I love bazball. Usually. Fast hard aggressive cricket. Smack the shyte out of it

Just not this test, thanks
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't see it affecting very much. US public opinion has moved against affirmative action.

Selebian said:

Can I sue for personation???
    I'd probably go for trademark infringement - or passing off if you failed to register 'Nick Palmer' in the field of politics :wink:
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

Via @YouGov, 27-28 Jun.
    Changes w/ 20-21 Jun.

A Conservative upsurge!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Via @YouGov, 27-28 Jun.
    Changes w/ 20-21 Jun.

Tories below 100 seats based on that one.

Via @YouGov, 27-28 Jun.
    Changes w/ 20-21 Jun.

It is amazing. In terms of uniform swing, it would be 17% Con to Lab and 8% Con to LD. But in a situation where antipathy to the Tories is the dominant driver, tactical voting will inevitably make that much worse for the Tories in Con/LD marginals.
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Actually I love bazball. Usually. Fast hard aggressive cricket. Smack the shyte out of it

Just not this test, thanks
    You’ll be there on Sunday bemoaning the boring Boycott style, and shouting at them to go back to Bazball!

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Swings both ways
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674422849011089411

The New York Times says that it “all but ensures that elite institutions will become whiter and more Asian and less Black and Latino”.
    It possibly saves American universities from self destruction. The logical endpoint of affirmative action - if continued - will be East Asians (and maybe even whites) saying Fuck this then, we will go to universities that don’t discriminate against us. Eg Chinese students will choose Chinese
    universities (which are fast improving and shooting up the rankings, already). White Americans will go to British or Aussie unis. And so on

Meanwhile a Harvard degree will become increasingly valueless as employers (etc) estimate you got in because of your skin colour not your intellect

So American universities might have been saved by SCOTUS from a disastrous course of action, if continued. Paradoxically
This discussion has been closed.