Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Time to write off a Mid-Beds by-election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Jake Berry intervenes also to support Johnson
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162

Scott_xP said:

@KevinASchofield
    now
    Andrea Leadsom becomes the latest senior Tory to mount a strong defence of the privileges committee and say she will vote for its report tonight.

The longer this debate goes on, the worse Rishi Sunak's decision to dodge the vote looks ...

I agree. It makes him look weak. People will contrast how Starmer faced down the Corbynistas
    Partly, that's because Sunak is weak.

Also, he's more than a bit complicit. He was in Downing Street all the time. It's the old Watergate questions- what did he know (my guess, more than he has let on) and when did he know it (ages ago).
    He went out of his way to push for Johnson.
    Whatsapped his way through some dodgy Covid dealings, while burnishing his Insta account for brand Rishi.

He’s a massive shit, he just looks like less of a one compared to Johnson.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

@KevinASchofield
    now
    Andrea Leadsom becomes the latest senior Tory to mount a strong defence of the privileges committee and say she will vote for its report tonight.

The longer this debate goes on, the worse Rishi Sunak's decision to dodge the vote looks ...

I agree. It makes him look weak. People will contrast how Starmer faced down the Corbynistas
    What, by campaigning to put him in Downing Street? At least Sunak (eventually) resigned.
    Mine was a non partisan post as I do not want to see a Labour government. You may well believe what you wrote in response, but mine was an observation on how the electorate generally may see it.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @RobDotHutton
    Jake Berry: "The former prime minister Boris Johnson cannot be held responsible for what people thought he meant." Perhaps what he really needed was a better public.

@euanmccolm
    Jake Berry now attacking the public for its interpretation of what Johnson said. Bold.

The calibre of people supporting BoZo tells its own story...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Theresa May next!

Will vote in favour; commends the committee. Looks like she is taking on the challenge of rising above the minutiae…

“debate strikes at the heart of the bond of trust between the public and this parliament”

Tobias Elwood intervenes to indicate his support.

May: “with leadership comes responsibility….”

Yes, May just confirmed she will vote in favour of the report condemning Boris.

I am sure the former PM will enjoy every moment of it too!
    If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”
    ― Sun Tzu
    Scott_xP said:

@euanmccolm
    Tory MP Lia Nici humiliating herself in defence of Johnson to such a degree that it’s bordering on kink.

Ninny, noddy, Nici.
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Theresa May next!

Will vote in favour; commends the committee. Looks like she is taking on the challenge of rising above the minutiae…

“debate strikes at the heart of the bond of trust between the public and this parliament”

And so she should. Amuses me that Johnson expected loyalty to him but has never shown loyalty to anyone else, including his own family
    Loyalty to people is a mugs' game. You're just giving them license to use you as a doormat. If you ever face a choice between abandoning a well-thought-out principle at the request of a person, treat the person as though they've been grooming you. Otherwise you'll be left clearing up the mess they caused you to make, looking like a twat because you knew better but did the wrong thing anyway.
    I assume that is humour masquerading as cynicism? Or maybe just both? Blind loyalty of the my country/party right or wrong variety (witness HYUFD and swivel-eyed Trump supporters) is extremely dangerous. A world without loyalty at all would be a dysfunctional and dangerous mirror image of HY's stupidity
    No, that was entirely in earnest. You should not be loyal to people (or countries or institutions or anything) if they require you to fold on your principles.

If my wife murdered someone, I'd turn her in. If my country asked me to commit war crimes, I'd defect. If my company asked me to look the other way while they circumvented AML laws I'd take the receipts to the police.

Principles first. Don't ignore your moral compass if it's telling you your loyalty is about to lead you astray.
    If its saying that its about to lead you astray then absolutely do not put loyalty ahead of principles.

But loyalty can be behind principles but ahead of nothing. Its not all or nothing.

If loyalty costs you nothing and you have two options that are both the same, then loyalty can be a reasonable tie-breaker.
    Yes, for both practical and moral reasons. Loyalty is minor principle, but entirely subordinate to major principles like not treating people as things.
    Completely agreed with that.
    Diane Abbott challenges Nici on Johnson’s lifetime track record of dishonesty; Nici’s reply is that she hasn’t been following his career….
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    IanB2 said:

First speech supporting Johnson from Tory MP Nici (Grimsby) previously a PPS to the clown, interrupted by jeers

Blames the staff for the parties

A bad workman is not blamed by his tools.

Scott_xP said:

@euanmccolm
    Tory MP Lia Nici humiliating herself in defence of Johnson to such a degree that it’s bordering on kink.

Ninny, noddy, Nici.
    I guess Johnson's version of the original version of that is I saw, I conquered, I came
    edited June 2023
    Now Chris Bryant…. Thanks the Tory members of the committee and Mrs May for her speech

Lists out Johnson’s lies.
  • IanB2 said:

Now Chris Bryant….

Didn't know he was a batsman. I'm still seeing Khawaja and Warner.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Breaking - AP (via Seattle Times) - Search underway for missing submersible that takes people to see Titanic

A search is underway for a missing submersible that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic, according to media reports.

The U.S. Coast Guard told BBC News that a search was underway Monday off the coast of Newfoundland. OceanGate Expeditions confirmed it owned the missing vessel.

“We are exploring and mobilising all options to bring the crew back safely,” the company said in a statement to BBC News. “Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families.”

The U.S. Coast Guard in Boston did not immediately return messages sent by The Associated Press. However, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia, said a Canadian military aircraft and a Canadian Coast Guard vessel are assisting the search effort, which is being led by the U.S. Coast Guard.

In 2021, OceanGate Expeditions began what it expected to become an annual voyage to chronicle the deterioration of the iconic ocean liner that struck an iceberg and sank in 1912.

The company said at the time that in addition to archaeologists and marine biologists, the expeditions also would include roughly 40 paid tourists who would take turns operating sonar equipment and performing other tasks in the five-person submersible.

The initial group of tourists was funding the expedition by spending anywhere from $100,000 to $150,000 apiece.

IanB2 said:

Now Chris Bryant….

A man who nearly exposed his johnson is finally about to fully expose A Johnson.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Aus 57/0.

IanB2 said:

Now Chris Bryant….

And will continue to do so. Aus by eight wickets from here.
    @BethRigby
    Think Sunak going to have an issue with privileges cttee vote if senior Tories like May support the motion as PM dodges. He promised govt of integrity, accountability and professionalism. Opponents will criticise if he avoids the vote. Watch KS call him weak at PMQs on Weds
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Now Chris Bryant….

And will continue to do so. Aus by eight wickets from here.
    Need to slow the scoring and wait for the damp conditions tomorrow.

But Bazball, so they'll carry on pushing for wickets.
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby
    Think Sunak going to have an issue with privileges cttee vote if senior Tories like May support the motion as PM dodges. He promised govt of integrity, accountability and professionalism. Opponents will criticise if he avoids the vote. Watch KS call him weak at PMQs on Weds

But it was so predictable.
    He should probably just call an election. Time to get rid of him, he’s not up to it.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Theresa May next!

And so she should. Amuses me that Johnson expected loyalty to him but has never shown loyalty to anyone else, including his own family
    Loyalty to people is a mugs' game. You're just giving them license to use you as a doormat. If you ever face a choice between abandoning a well-thought-out principle at the request of a person, treat the person as though they've been grooming you. Otherwise you'll be left clearing up the mess they caused you to make, looking like a twat because you knew better but did the wrong thing anyway.
    I assume that is humour masquerading as cynicism? Or maybe just both? Blind loyalty of the my country/party right or wrong variety (witness HYUFD and swivel-eyed Trump supporters) is extremely dangerous. A world without loyalty at all would be a dysfunctional and dangerous mirror image of HY's stupidity
    No, that was entirely in earnest. You should not be loyal to people (or countries or institutions or anything) if they require you to fold on your principles.

If my wife murdered someone, I'd turn her in. If my country asked me to commit war crimes, I'd defect. If my company asked me to look the other way while they circumvented AML laws I'd take the receipts to the police.

Principles first. Don't ignore your moral compass if it's telling you your loyalty is about to lead you astray.
    Ah, you have now qualified it. Your previous post seemed to infer that any loyalty was bogus. I cannot disagree with what you have written on this one.

PS when I next see your wife I will advise her to not share too many secrets with you.
    She says she can't see you tomorrow because The Idiot will be around.
    Curious to know who she's talking about, since my travel plans are cancelled so I'll get to meet him.
    Bugger, that's put the kybosh on my Scotland trip. Hold the Lear jet.
  • Is play until 6:30pm tonight or 7pm?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Lol are there rules about fielding in the batsman's eyeline ?
    Is this the first time this has happened ?!?
    I suppose at least Lia Nici bothered to turn up.

Brendan Smith-Clarke tweeted earlier he was not going to to turn up for “silly games”, and has gone to the cricket instead.

Brendan Smith-Clarke tweeted earlier he was not going to to turn up for “silly games”, and has gone to the cricket instead.

With an Australian tie
  • I suppose at least Lia Nici bothered to turn up.

So he's just seen Warner caught behind? Good for him. 👍

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

He should probably just call an election. Time to get rid of him, he’s not up to it.
    An early election would be a nice idea if we were really going to replace the government with something better. Unfortunately the alternative is Sir Kier Boredom and the loony Labour Public Sector Party ffs!
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Australia no longer squatting like a giant toad over the centre square?
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies @RedfieldWilton
    The UK Government's net competency rating is -30%, the lowest rating we've recorded since 23 April (-31%).

Government Competency Rating (18 June):

Incompetent: 49% (+5)
    Competent: 19% (-3)
    Net: -30% (-8)

Changes +/- 11 June
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Miklosvar said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Skyeman said:

RFK Jr on the Pfizer Vaccine: "22,000 people got the Vaccine and 22,000 didn't. During that six month period, 1 Vaccinated person died of Covid and in the placebo group 2 people died. That allows Pfizer and the FDA to say the Vaccine is 100% effective."

Interesting stuff from RFK jr.

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1670468656097275905?s=20

Man, you guys are like a broken record.
    RFK junior sounsd indististinguishable from Trump.
    He's really unconvincing

However I think the refusal by scientists to debate RFK's antivaxxery on Joe Rogan is a major mistake. They are haughtily doing it on the basis that debating him would give credence to a "conspiracy theory"

But for a year these same pompous, self-important scientists told us "lab leak" was a baseless conspiracy, and forbade debates on it

People no longer kneel, automatically, before The Science. If antivaxxery is foolish nonsense (and it probably is, but we don;t know for sure, and this is a live issue) then debate it, Prove your case. Make RFK look like a jerk. Don't avoid debate on the basis scientists shouldn't have to bother with these "nutters". The scientists were the nutters who told us lab leak was impossible

1) scientists are not typically good at communicating science - the few who do are also looked down on by the scientific community because they aren't producing research (the thing that shows you're a good scientist) and are likely instead making TV shows
    2) when do we tell people to shut up and stop being stupid? At some point we have to - evolution, germ theory, flat earthers: when do we stop? The argument about vaccines is about saving lives, and it is good to have better vaccine education in general, but to dignify actual antivaxxers with a debate or response is nonsense
    3) why is Joe Rogan being paid stupid money by spotify to spread this kind of dangerous misinformation. It is hardly curtailing free speech to not pay someone millions of dollars for doing something - I think it is more than reasonable to have had a part of the contract that says doing that kind of nonsense will lead to losing money or even cancellation of the show
    4) "A lie will go around the world before the truth has put it's shoes on". It is easy to lie. It is easy to say "Bill Gates put a microchip in the vaccine". It is easy to say "Scientists have never found a transitionary species in the fossil record". You know what takes a long time? Explaining how vaccines work, how we know they work, and what they do; how we have found transition fossils, how many of them we have found, and what that suggests about evolution. It is always easier to make a baseless claim, or multiple baseless claims, and when the person arguing in good faith spends all their time debunking one baseless claim you shout "ah ha, see how he ignored all the other baseless claims I made!" (it's called a Gish Gallop after the famous creationist Dr Gish who used to do that - he also had an appearance in Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, for those of you who may have seen that)

All in all, taking bad faith arguments as if they are good faith and trying to dissect them whilst giving them a larger audience to be spread does not work. Better would be governments coming down hard on social media moderation and refusing to accept the argument that stuff is moderated by ai or algorithms and say "if you can't moderate content without actual humans viewing the content, either hire humans or close down because your platform is actively harmful)
    I'm not sure the BIB is true. Many excellent scientists are also excellent at talking about it. There is a significant trend in science now to show public engagement - how will you engage (in both directions) with the public? This is both listening to the public as well as disseminating information.

There is sometimes a bit of jealousy about scientists who have become the rock stars of science (Brian Cox, Alice Roberts etc). Sometimes they have achieved the status of Professor for non academic merit, but because of the public role. But generally people accept it.

We've also seen a lot more engagement on SM, such as Twitter through the pandemic, some good, some bad. Its notable how many of my colleagues are on twitter and promoting their work via that platform.
    Two that immediately spring to mind are Richard Feynman and Stephen Jay Gould. Both at the very forefront of their disciplines (Quantum Mechanics and Evolutionary theory) yet both great communicators, popularisers and educators. Being a great media figure does not in any way mean one is not also a great scientist.
    I have all Gould's books but its been some years since I dipped in. One essay always sticks in my mind - a tale of false memory where he describes sitting somewhere with a relative that he remembers from childhood and then comes to realise that his memory cannot be correct. And yet the memory persists.

I had a conversation with my folks yesterday where they told me that schoolfriends used to ring me up for homework advice on a regular basis. I cannot recall this at all. Nothing, Not one occasion, but I have no reason to doubt them. What else have I forgotten?
    Stephen Jay Gould was essentially a Marxist. Not really the cuddly professorial character he is often portrayed as

Good writer, tho. Crisp and lucid prose
    Of course this is a classic example of why one's politics should not be the defining characteristic by which we are judged. I disagree with his marxist views whilst recognising how and why they developed. But I don't find they in any way interfere with his scientific writings and was surprised to find out about his politics after many years of reading his works both for academic and pleasure purposes.
    His work on punctuated equilibriums also looks to be absolutely spot on.
    Agreed. I was fortunate to be studying Geology at Uni when this was still the big debate and I buy into the concept pretty much completely.
    It's not wrong, it's just not interesting because how else did anyone ever think or say evolution works? It demolishes s complete straw man.theory of absolute uniformitarianism which nobody ever held.
    Wrong. Utterly wrong. The slow steady progress idea with gradual genetic change resulting in speciation was THE idea underpinning evolution for decades. Indeed at the time I was at university that argument was mainstream. The idea it was a straw man argument is simply wrong from start to finish. Eldridge and Gould changed the whole way evolution was considered and understood.
    Not wrong. Any theory of evolution says that you change when external circumstances change, and not otherwise barring a bit of genetic drift. Things stay the same for more of the time than they change. So punctuated equilibrium is exactly what Darwin predicts.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

An early election would be a nice idea if we were really going to replace the government with something better. Unfortunately the alternative is Sir Kier Boredom and the loony Labour Public Sector Party ffs!
    Oh do stop it. You posted for years that Starmer was ok. Now you're reverting to tory story propaganda output because you finally have a non risible leader and there's an election coming.
    Deltapoll @DeltapollUK
    now
    🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Labour lead is nineteen percentage points in the latest results from Deltapoll.
    Con 27% (-4)
    Lab 46% (+4)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Other 16% (+2)
    Fieldwork: 16th - 19th June 2023
    Sample: 1,554 GB adults
    (Changes from 9th - 12th June 2023)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,463
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Oh do stop it. You posted for years that Starmer was ok. Now you're reverting to tory story propaganda output because you finally have a non risible leader and there's an election coming.
    Speaking for myself: Starmer is ok. I have no problem with saying that.

But I expect a PM to be better than just 'OK'. Sadly, we don't seem to get them, even if you take into account the impossibilities of the job.
    edited June 2023
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Nigel seems to be part of a cadre of posters who will allow themselves to complain occasionally about the Cons but will also vote for them regardless. Even economic malfeasance and outright corruption is unable to shake their votes.

See also, BigG, DavidL and CasinoRoyale.

They all seem to have formed their view of Labour in the 1980s or earlier, with the exception of CR who’s just an young fogey.
    I've missed most of the 'debate' due to parenting.

Has there been a true tubthumping moment; a speech of pure, angry derision?
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Lol. He is boring though isn't he? I mean Sunak is pretty dull, but Starmer is off the scale. If Sunak had been advised by a careers counsellor to be a Chartered Accountant, SKS would have gone one further and gone for the career in Quantity Surveying!

But you are right. I quite like Starmer. I also quite like my accountant. Both appear to be competent but dull.
    edited June 2023

Another shameless liar from the clown’s stable, then?

Theresa May was excellent, judging by the 30 seconds or so of her on Twitter.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited June 2023

Yes

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1670837935665561620

and

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1670828872898576385
  • I've missed most of the 'debate' due to parenting.

Its been pretty calm so far, quite easy going for the Opposition to get what they need to get, but Warner did just nick one to Bairstow.
    Another shout out for Pippa Crerar. I sat next to her at Johnson’s press launch for his absurd island airport scheme; she’s a very nice lady indeed.
    John Barron just gave a powerful speech in support of the motion to sanction Boris Johnson.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Scott_xP said:

Deltapoll @DeltapollUK
    now
    🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Labour lead is nineteen percentage points in the latest results from Deltapoll.
    Con 27% (-4)
    Lab 46% (+4)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Other 16% (+2)
    Fieldwork: 16th - 19th June 2023
    Sample: 1,554 GB adults
    (Changes from 9th - 12th June 2023)

Deltapoll’s irritating tendency to group together “other” makes any LLG vs RefCon comparison difficult without diving into the data. A very FPTP way of presenting party scores.

Still, even if Green was only 3% they’d still have a pretty good LLG score.
    Is it just me or does the polling suggest that the local election Con “slump” has kind of cemented itself.

Breaking - AP (via Seattle Times) - Search underway for missing submersible that takes people to see Titanic

A search is underway for a missing submersible that carries people to view the wreckage of the Titanic, according to media reports.

The U.S. Coast Guard told BBC News that a search was underway Monday off the coast of Newfoundland. OceanGate Expeditions confirmed it owned the missing vessel.

“We are exploring and mobilising all options to bring the crew back safely,” the company said in a statement to BBC News. “Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families.”

The U.S. Coast Guard in Boston did not immediately return messages sent by The Associated Press. However, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia, said a Canadian military aircraft and a Canadian Coast Guard vessel are assisting the search effort, which is being led by the U.S. Coast Guard.

In 2021, OceanGate Expeditions began what it expected to become an annual voyage to chronicle the deterioration of the iconic ocean liner that struck an iceberg and sank in 1912.

The company said at the time that in addition to archaeologists and marine biologists, the expeditions also would include roughly 40 paid tourists who would take turns operating sonar equipment and performing other tasks in the five-person submersible.

The initial group of tourists was funding the expedition by spending anywhere from $100,000 to $150,000 apiece.

This sad story is important. (I say 'sad', as I fear that it's not going to end well).

There is a growing trend of people doing dangerous things, with the idea - or image - that they are safe. Whether it is going down to the Titanic as a tourist, or going to space, there are dangers that should not be ignored. After the Challenger disaster, NASA was rightly criticised because the risks of spaceflight had not been correctly passed onto astronauts. The same may well be sadly true of these private companies.

Mrs May and Angela Eagle are worth pausing the iPlayer recording to hear. But the standard of parliamentary debate isn’t what it once was. We’re still waiting for a Geoffrey Howe moment, let alone anything to match up to Callaghan versus Thatcher of 1979.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

Must have coptered down from Edgbaston, as he’s just been interviewed in the lobby of the HoC on C4 News.
    Does that count as a missed chance for Pope ?
    He's a very good fielder but I think Jonty Rhodes might have caught something like that
    edited June 2023
    TMay was great!

That was in response to IanB2, of course.
    edited June 2023
    Official House idiot JRM up next…

One can only hope that the hole he is digging will bury his own career.
    edited June 2023
    According to Paul Mason, there is a new conspiracy theory emanating from far-left / Corbynista circles: that Keir Starmer is a “spycop”: some kind of establishment or even CIA plant.

Stuff like this, as well as the anti-Semitism and the pathetic response to Salisbury is why I disagree with posters who claim that Corbyn was somehow on a par or even a less malign option than Johnson in 2019.

(Of course, I voted for neither).
    Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Skyeman said:

RFK Jr on the Pfizer Vaccine: "22,000 people got the Vaccine and 22,000 didn't. During that six month period, 1 Vaccinated person died of Covid and in the placebo group 2 people died. That allows Pfizer and the FDA to say the Vaccine is 100% effective."

He's really unconvincing

However I think the refusal by scientists to debate RFK's antivaxxery on Joe Rogan is a major mistake. They are haughtily doing it on the basis that debating him would give credence to a "conspiracy theory"

But for a year these same pompous, self-important scientists told us "lab leak" was a baseless conspiracy, and forbade debates on it

People no longer kneel, automatically, before The Science. If antivaxxery is foolish nonsense (and it probably is, but we don;t know for sure, and this is a live issue) then debate it, Prove your case. Make RFK look like a jerk. Don't avoid debate on the basis scientists shouldn't have to bother with these "nutters". The scientists were the nutters who told us lab leak was impossible

1) scientists are not typically good at communicating science - the few who do are also looked down on by the scientific community because they aren't producing research (the thing that shows you're a good scientist) and are likely instead making TV shows
    2) when do we tell people to shut up and stop being stupid? At some point we have to - evolution, germ theory, flat earthers: when do we stop? The argument about vaccines is about saving lives, and it is good to have better vaccine education in general, but to dignify actual antivaxxers with a debate or response is nonsense
    3) why is Joe Rogan being paid stupid money by spotify to spread this kind of dangerous misinformation. It is hardly curtailing free speech to not pay someone millions of dollars for doing something - I think it is more than reasonable to have had a part of the contract that says doing that kind of nonsense will lead to losing money or even cancellation of the show
    4) "A lie will go around the world before the truth has put it's shoes on". It is easy to lie. It is easy to say "Bill Gates put a microchip in the vaccine". It is easy to say "Scientists have never found a transitionary species in the fossil record". You know what takes a long time? Explaining how vaccines work, how we know they work, and what they do; how we have found transition fossils, how many of them we have found, and what that suggests about evolution. It is always easier to make a baseless claim, or multiple baseless claims, and when the person arguing in good faith spends all their time debunking one baseless claim you shout "ah ha, see how he ignored all the other baseless claims I made!" (it's called a Gish Gallop after the famous creationist Dr Gish who used to do that - he also had an appearance in Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, for those of you who may have seen that)

All in all, taking bad faith arguments as if they are good faith and trying to dissect them whilst giving them a larger audience to be spread does not work. Better would be governments coming down hard on social media moderation and refusing to accept the argument that stuff is moderated by ai or algorithms and say "if you can't moderate content without actual humans viewing the content, either hire humans or close down because your platform is actively harmful)
    I'm not sure the BIB is true. Many excellent scientists are also excellent at talking about it. There is a significant trend in science now to show public engagement - how will you engage (in both directions) with the public? This is both listening to the public as well as disseminating information.

There is sometimes a bit of jealousy about scientists who have become the rock stars of science (Brian Cox, Alice Roberts etc). Sometimes they have achieved the status of Professor for non academic merit, but because of the public role. But generally people accept it.

We've also seen a lot more engagement on SM, such as Twitter through the pandemic, some good, some bad. Its notable how many of my colleagues are on twitter and promoting their work via that platform.
    Two that immediately spring to mind are Richard Feynman and Stephen Jay Gould. Both at the very forefront of their disciplines (Quantum Mechanics and Evolutionary theory) yet both great communicators, popularisers and educators. Being a great media figure does not in any way mean one is not also a great scientist.
    I have all Gould's books but its been some years since I dipped in. One essay always sticks in my mind - a tale of false memory where he describes sitting somewhere with a relative that he remembers from childhood and then comes to realise that his memory cannot be correct. And yet the memory persists.

I had a conversation with my folks yesterday where they told me that schoolfriends used to ring me up for homework advice on a regular basis. I cannot recall this at all. Nothing, Not one occasion, but I have no reason to doubt them. What else have I forgotten?
    Stephen Jay Gould was essentially a Marxist. Not really the cuddly professorial character he is often portrayed as

Of course this is a classic example of why one's politics should not be the defining characteristic by which we are judged. I disagree with his marxist views whilst recognising how and why they developed. But I don't find they in any way interfere with his scientific writings and was surprised to find out about his politics after many years of reading his works both for academic and pleasure purposes.
    Agreed. I was fortunate to be studying Geology at Uni when this was still the big debate and I buy into the concept pretty much completely.
    It's not wrong, it's just not interesting because how else did anyone ever think or say evolution works? It demolishes s complete straw man.theory of absolute uniformitarianism which nobody ever held.
    Wrong. Utterly wrong. The slow steady progress idea with gradual genetic change resulting in speciation was THE idea underpinning evolution for decades. Indeed at the time I was at university that argument was mainstream. The idea it was a straw man argument is simply wrong from start to finish. Eldridge and Gould changed the whole way evolution was considered and understood.
    Not wrong. Any theory of evolution says that you change when external circumstances change, and not otherwise barring a bit of genetic drift. Things stay the same for more of the time than they change. So punctuated equilibrium is exactly what Darwin predicts.
    Ah ha. A bell rings. 🙂

Yes

and

"I'm from Birmingham, and I say it as I see it."

WTAF? ;)

This sad story is important. (I say 'sad', as I fear that it's not going to end well).

There is a growing trend of people doing dangerous things, with the idea - or image - that they are safe. Whether it is going down to the Titanic as a tourist, or going to space, there are dangers that should not be ignored. After the Challenger disaster, NASA was rightly criticised because the risks of spaceflight had not been correctly passed onto astronauts. The same may well be sadly true of these private companies.
    I have no sympathy for posts beginning "I have no sympathy...", but the element of rich twattishness here needs to be recognised. Mass grave tourism is not attractive.
    Labuschagne goes, same combination as the first innings.
  • ☝️
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    When it comes to Brummies they say it as they see it but the rest of the country cannot understand a word they say due to their accents.

According to Paul Mason, there is a new conspiracy theory emanating from far-left / Corbynista circles: that Keir Starmer is a “spycop”: some kind of establishment or even CIA plant.

Stuff like this, as well as the anti-Semitism and the pathetic response to Salisbury is why I disagree with posters who claim that Corbyn was somehow on a par or even a less malign option than Johnson in 2019.

Rather hilarious flip-side of Harold Wilson as KGB mole theory.
    Miklosvar said:

I have no sympathy for posts beginning "I have no sympathy...", but the element of rich twattishness here needs to be recognised. Mass grave tourism is not attractive.
    Everest was an example I was going to mention; but the risks of that are fairly well acknowledged. And sadly, so many people have died going up Everest that it is now 'mass grave tourism'.

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Nigel seems to be part of a cadre of posters who will allow themselves to complain occasionally about the Cons but will also vote for them regardless. Even economic malfeasance and outright corruption is unable to shake their votes.

They all seem to have formed their view of Labour in the 1980s or earlier, with the exception of CR who’s just an young fogey.
    I know that talking bollox without reference to reality is an increasing specialist subject area for you, but I think @kinabalu and many other slightly less myopic posters on here are well aware that I have not voted blue for the past two GEs, and at none of the locals either, and I was one of the few right of centre posters on here who realised what an idiot Johnson was long before holding that view was fashionable.

I might well vote Tory at the next one because giving the loonies in the Labour Party unfettered power which an overall majority would give them is not something I particularly like the idea of. I also quite like Sunak (though he has gone down in my estimation today) and do not see podgy Sir Kier as an improvement one iota.

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    When it comes to Brummies they say it as they see it but the rest of the country cannot understand a word they say due to their accents.
    I'm not from Birmingham, but no-one ever understands what I say...

Earlier today, I posted links to a video that is apparently going to be shown at Glastonbury, that appears to highlight these conspiracy theories.

https://labourlist.org/2023/06/the-big-lie-jeremy-corbyn-glastonbury-screening-film-watch-conspiracy-mason/

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    What?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Never mind yesterday's fat oaf, the big news today is that Sunak has declined to offer more help to struggling mortgage payers. I mean, we'll see how long that position lasts as the pained screaming ramps up through the rest of this year and into the next, but for all of us who are desperately willing the vastly overinflated property bubble to burst in spectacular fashion it can't be anything but positive news.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    What?

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    What?
    Correction - "Wohhhhht?"
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    edited June 2023

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

I did vote for Blair twice and would have voted lib dem if Johnson had stayed in office

I am not captured by Starmer like some , as he flip flops regularly

Abolish tuition fees - not now

Spend 28 billion pa on green issues - not now

Stop all new oil and gas licences - not now

Abolish all union legislation since 2016 - absolutely handing unprecedented power to the trade unions

Accepts 1.6 million from stop oil but that is OK

And as far as public sector wage demands are concerned then he will bow to his union masters

The policy of abolishing of vat on school fees and non dom status is paltry to the sums needed and Starmer has not laid out how he is going to pay for his government either in borrowing or higher taxes, which by the way he has consistently condemned

None of this means Starmer will not be the next PM but he is not entitled to a free pass

Moggy is digging himself the most humongous hole, here.
    pigeon said:

Never mind yesterday's fat oaf, the big news today is that Sunak has declined to offer more help to struggling mortgage payers. I mean, we'll see how long that position lasts as the pained screaming ramps up through the rest of this year and into the next, but for all of us who are desperately willing the vastly overinflated property bubble to burst in spectacular fashion it can't be anything but positive news.

Great idea. repossessions, misery depression and suicide. What a nice person you must be.

Miklosvar said:

Everest was an example I was going to mention; but the risks of that are fairly well acknowledged. And sadly, so many people have died going up Everest that it is now 'mass grave tourism'.
    The Challenger astronauts will have grown up knowing about the Apollo 1 disaster and would definitely have been aware that spaceflight as it was then and is now is risky.

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    The Peaky Blinders would like a word

It depends whether they've been made aware of the dangers beforehand.

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

I did vote for Blair twice and would have voted lib dem if Johnson had stayed in office

Abolish all union legislation since 2016 - absolutely handing unprecedented power to the trade unions

And as far as public sector wage demands are concerned then he will bow to his union masters

The policy of abolishing of vat on school fees and non dom status is paltry to the sums needed and Starmer has not laid out how he is going to pay for his government either in borrowing or higher taxes, which by the way he has consistently condemned

None of this means Starmer will not be the next PM but he is not entitled to a free pass

Agree.

But no right thinking person could vote to give the Tories another go, after the shambles and shame and corruption of the last few years.

Thing is, you have an actual Johnson PM calamity against a mere hypothetical Corbyn PM one. And you have to weight an actual as greater than a hypothetical, all else being equal.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Skyeman said:

He's really unconvincing

You clearly weren't around in the late 70s and 80s to see and hear the phyletic gradualists lining up to attack punctuated equilibrium hypothesis. Even Darwin retreated from the catastrophist idea prior to publication.

Indeed even today gradualism is the main way evolution is taught at degree level with a hat tip to PE.

Of course I am grateful for the debate as I got 15% of my degree from writing about it.

You should stop getting all your ideas from Dawkins. He has his own hypothesis to push and the best way to do that in his eyes apparently is to undermine all the others. Something he has spent most of his life doing.
    Andy_JS said:

You can bet your house their families will say they weren't to get the compo payout 😅
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    pigeon said:

Providing 'support' for mortgage payers will simply accelerate inflation and keep interest rates higher for longer

House prices might fall a little in nominal terms but there won't be a collapse, of course inflation enhances the real impact

Property should be viewed as a home to live in, not an investment
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    JRM's speech = piss and wind
    Happy Juneteenth! US public holiday celebrating emancipation of slaves in Texas in June 1865 by Union Army, about two months after Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox CH.

And thanks to our British cousins, for putting on this splendid entertainment from Westminster to enliven the day!

Yes

and

Wonderful response by Harriet - game, set and match to her
    kinabalu said:

Thing is, you have an actual Johnson PM calamity against a mere hypothetical Corbyn PM one. And you have to weight an actual as greater than a hypothetical, all else being equal.
    No. Simply no. Boris' flaws were all too visible before he became PM. He did not change; he changed the party and removed many of the people against him. What makes you think that Corbyn would become a paragon of virtue and sanity if he had become PM? especially when as party leader he tried to change his party into his image.
    Andy_JS said:

They won't have been. Guaranteed.

Another point; don't call them 'explorers'. They are not. They are adventurers. There's a massive difference, albeit with some overlap, between the two.

pigeon said:

Providing 'support' for mortgage payers will simply accelerate inflation and keep interest rates higher for longer

House prices might fall a little in nominal terms but there won't be a collapse, of course inflation enhances the real impact

I think a peak to trough in nominal terms of around 20%.
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Agree.

But no right thinking person could vote to give the Tories another go, after the shambles and shame and corruption of the last few years.
    It depends if the alternative is worse and Sunak has 18 months at most to move on from Johnson

It is an unbelievably high bar and I expect a majority Starmer government but again I am not giving him a free pass

Yes

and

WTAF? ;)
    Shouting stuff at people as you run past at some unnatural pace isn’t terribly conducive to understanding.
    GIN1138 said:

JRM's speech = piss and wind

Fear you praise with faint damn.

After all piss and wind are both valuable commodities when put to good (or even ill) use. SJRM?
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Quite possible. I was thinking more like 10% max.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

pigeon said:

Item 1: tick. Item 3: tick. Item 2: we can but hope, but you're probably right. Any downward correction is liable to be limited by lack of supply - but hopefully a nice bit of extra wage inflation will help to improve affordability.

I'm frustrated enough being a rapidly ageing bloke stuck in a starter flat; needless to say the barmy property market must be excruciating for those condemned to permarenting from scalper landlords.
    edited June 2023
    Why the hell didn't England review that? Didn't it carry to Bairstow.

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Agree.

It depends if the alternative is worse and Sunak has 18 months at most to move on from Johnson

It is an unbelievably high bar and I expect a majority Starmer government but again I am not giving him a free pass
    What would you 'giving him a free pass' look like btw? How would we spot it?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Quite possible. I was thinking more like 10% max.
    It will probably be difficult to put a precise figure on it because the market will respond differently in different areas and different segments.

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Skyeman said:

He's really unconvincing

You clearly weren't around in the late 70s and 80s to see and hear the phyletic gradualists lining up to attack punctuated equilibrium hypothesis. Even Darwin retreated from the catastrophist idea prior to publication.

Indeed even today gradualism is the main way evolution is taught at degree level with a hat tip to PE.

Of course I am grateful for the debate as I got 15% of my degree from writing about it.

You should stop getting all your ideas from Dawkins. He has his own hypothesis to push and the best way to do that in his eyes apparently is to undermine all the others. Something he has spent most of his life doing.
    I don't get all my ideas from Dawkins. I cannot imagine how a gradualist theory of evolution would work; there's nothing gradual about moving from one Galapagos island to another. If there is such a theory and Gould demolished it good for him, but it doesn't make him the Messiah

Same with the spandrel stuff. Look at your face. I can tell you first class evolutionary stories about your eyes and teeth and nose and slightly iffy ones about your beard and eyebrows, but things like your forehead and chin are quite obviously just the way things are to join the evolved bits. What was ever non obvious about that?
    👍👍👍
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Redfield and Wilton 20% Labour lead just out is their biggest for 3 months

Deltapoll just out have the Labour lead at 19%

The mean Labour lead of the last 4 four national opinion polls is 19.25%

Sunak is stronger? Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Broooad!!!
  • Andy_JS said:

Why the hell didn't England review that? Didn't it carry to Bairstow.

No it bounced just short, but no mistake this time, Smith out now. ☝️
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Smith back to play with his sandpaper.

Nightwatchman! That's brave.

pigeon said:

A former member of the Bank of England was interviewed on yesterday's Sophie on Sunday and provided one of the most sensible and informative responses to the present crisis and said that covid and Ukraine were the driving factor behind inflation, and in a much smaller way brexit, but that no government could risk bailing out mortgage holders as that would provide an immediate response from the markets in even higher interest rates

Indeed Starmer refused to endorse bailing out mortgagees in this current climate
This discussion has been closed.