Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can the LDs become the 3rd party once again? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    Ghedebrav said:

Does best Leon impression....

We are all going to die at the hands of the robots...

Artificial intelligence could lead to extinction, experts warn
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65746524

Right, if any of happen to bump into Sarah Connor in the next few years, we should do as she says.
    Time for me to wheel out my two lightly controversial opinions on the original 1984 Terminator:

1. It is fundamentally a horror film, not SF or action
    2. It is the best of the series.
    Terminator 2 is the best film of the series.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    I think my view on trans people in sport has definitely shifted. I wonder if we should just have a third category for trans people.
  • Options
    Another fine day for the Met.

A 91-year-old woman had a Taser pointed at her and a spit hood put over her head by police after a dispute with her carer.

The Metropolitan Police said that the elderly woman was “distressed” and allegedly spat at one officer when they were called to her home in Peckham, south-east London, on May 9.

She was handcuffed, had a mesh spit hood placed over her head and a Taser trained on her before she was taken to hospital without being arrested.

It is claimed she was left with cuts and bruising to both wrists and one of her arms.

Watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating what happened.

One officer has been suspended and is not allowed to use Taser while the investigation is carried out, and five other officers have been placed on restricted duties so they have no contact with the public.

A member of the woman’s family has been allowed to watch footage of what happened from the officers’ bodyworn video cameras.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/30/woman-91-taser-spit-hood-iopc-police-suspended/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    timple said:

pm215 said:

Leon said:

At this rate Britain will be literally the last country on earth to have a high speed train, as we race to beat the Greenlanders but get pipped in 2037 as they open the Nuuq-Ilullissat line, as we debate whether to rebuild Euston with two platforms or none

We can't even build low speed lines. The latest report on the "East-West Rail" link from Oxford to Cambridge has just come out. It basically says they've been cogitating on the feedback from consultations done in 2021, insists (again) "no, the best route comes in to Cambridge from the south, yes, even though we got a lot of nimby feedback from people living in that area", mentions buried inside the pdf that they're going to cut costs by not making the middle section 100mph running, and announces proudly that the next step will be in 2024 and will be... statutory consultation!

The destructive effect on business investment caused by this pathetic reluctance to do anything needs to end.

We need a National Infrastructure Body, working on a 20 year cycle, that is somewhat removed from political manipulation and certainly able to operate beyond the death grip of “Treasury Brain”.
    We somehow need to come up with a blend of Old Labour statism where the state should be involved and Trussite free marketeering where it shouldn't.
    Perhaps we are coming to realise the current electoral system of "5-10yrs then chuck 'em all out and let the others have a go" aka FPTP doesn't really work for the long term benefit of the UK in the multi-party 21st century? At least let the voters choose the coalitions to govern under STV PR as opposed to getting them pre-packed as we currently do.
    Personally I'm not convinced that's the right diagnosis of the problem and more formal coalitions might entrench the same pathologies even more.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,602

Ghedebrav said:

Right, if any of happen to bump into Sarah Connor in the next few years, we should do as she says.
    Time for me to wheel out my two lightly controversial opinions on the original 1984 Terminator:

Both of the first two are good. In part, this is because they are different genres. As with Alien and Aliens.

Rather that trying to make the same, but more and better, they took the basic ideas and made a different kind of movie.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why are the Millennials not starting to convert to vote Tory?

My hypothesis is that tuition fees and student loans are to blame.

Millennials are effectively paying a higher rate of income tax on their earnings as a result of the tuition fee and student loan repayments.

This is adversely impacting their ability to get a mortgage and buy a home as they have less surplus funds to save a deposit and their after tax earnings are only able to support a lower mortgage.

Home owners are more inclined to vote Conservative.

Thoughts?

They dont have own houses, they dont have kids, therefore they have no responsibilities.
    Lol - Millenials are precisely the cohort with young kids.
    suggest you look at birth rates in the 1960s compared to now. You lot arent having enough babies. Is that money or a lifestyle choice ?
    Its the housing market being broken and NIMBYism from prior generations.

Working people in their early to mid 20s should be able to get onto the housing ladder and start a family in a house of their own. That's broken currently.
    yes it is the whole system sucks and it isnt going to improve until we build lots more housesand discourage people in my generation from being buy to let landlord,
    Build lots more houses solves both problems.

Let buy to let landlords realise a property they can't let isn't much of an investment when people have alternatives they can buy themselves instead.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited May 2023

I think my view on trans people in sport has definitely shifted. I wonder if we should just have a third category for trans people.

I think the correct line is to say: "let the sporting bodies decide".

Which they seem to do, and it remains to be seen whether their decisions will violate any current or future government anti-discrimination laws.

Not yet.

A bit like the High Court and ECHR on gay marriage perhaps they aren't going to go anywhere near the subject.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,780
    edited May 2023

Ghedebrav said:

Both of the first two are good. In part, this is because they are different genres. As with Alien and Aliens.

Rather that trying to make the same, but more and better, they took the basic ideas and made a different kind of movie.
    For classic computer games, see also Dune (RPG) and Dune 2 (one of the first RTS games).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    'Penny Mordaunt's popularity has surged among Tory grassroots since her sword-carrying role at the King's Coronation'
    https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1663516972191981568?s=20
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    edited May 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Millennials are effectively paying a higher rate of income tax on their earnings as a result of the tuition fee and student loan repayments.

This is adversely impacting their ability to get a mortgage and buy a home as they have less surplus funds to save a deposit and their after tax earnings are only able to support a lower mortgage.

Thoughts?

Some of that, but also Brexit and culture wars.

Brexit was always unpopular in this group and it's seen as the Tory's thing. The current (and last few, since May really) incarnation of the Tory party is also pretty unpalatable to social liberals, which is where most people of those ages and below are.

To have a chance with those under 40, the Tories either need another loon in charge of Labour or another Cameron in charge of the Conservatives. Sunak's not too bad on that score, but it's hard to get past his cabinet an other prominent figures.

Voting Conservative is not massively more socially acceptable than voting UKIP (etc). I exaggerate, but only a bit. Under Cameron, it wasn't thus, even in lefty woke academia.
    I remember a poll in the runup to 2010 election which showed the most popular party among teachers - teachers! - was the Conservatives (tried to dig it out but can't find it at source).

Granted this was at the height of Cleggmania so a lot of the left-ish vote was split, but still.
    I knew plenty of people in academia who voted for Cameron in 2015. He was part of the metropolitan liberal elite, so he fitted. People were less bothered about equality and suspicious of Miliband being a bit weird/in Salmond's pocket/a red under the bed.

ETA: And I imagine most teachers end up hating the government of the day after a few years, for all the things they've made worse. Same for healthcare workers too, I expect!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    HYUFD said:

'Penny Mordaunt's popularity has surged among Tory grassroots since her sword-carrying role at the King's Coronation'

Its Monty Python's Holy Grail come true

“I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028

Ghedebrav said:

I disagree, but I respectfully so. It's an excellent film, I just like the first one more. Conversely, prefer Aliens to Alien.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

Charlie from Casualty is leaving.

Derek Thompson (75!), an actor in a BBC show you don't watch because it's on terrestrial and it's 2023, is leaving the show he has starred in since 1933. Yes, it's still on. Really. Really. His manner of departure has not been decided but if it doesn't involve being glassed to death by Harold Shand I will be miffed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65754747

I don't believe that Casualty is still on. Next you'll be telling me that I can still tune in and watch Eastenders.
    Our Ukrainians like Emmerdale, love Coronation Street and don't understand Eastenders ("Why do they all shout?"). There's an insightful point in there somewhere about English culture as observed from outside but I am fucked if I can tease it out.
    Coronation Street is big in NZ.
    Emmerdale not so much.
    EastEnders simply not tolerated at all.
    The history of BBC series (comedy especially) in the former Yugoslavia is fascinating. I have a Serbian colleague who grew up on Only Fools and Horses, the Fast Show and everything in between. Knows the scenes and quotes better than I do.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58630500

"John Challis: Why Serbians have soft spot for late Only Fools actor"
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 501
    Selebian said:

Thoughts?

Brexit was always unpopular in this group and it's seen as the Tory's thing. The current (and last few, since May really) incarnation of the Tory party is also pretty unpalatable to social liberals, which is where most people of those ages and below are.

To have a chance with those under 40, the Tories either need another loon in charge of Labour or another Cameron in charge of the Conservatives. Sunak's not too bad on that score, but it's hard to get past his cabinet an other prominent figures.

Voting Conservative is not massively more socially acceptable than voting UKIP (etc). I exaggerate, but only a bit. Under Cameron, it wasn't thus, even in lefty woke academia.
    If I was a Conservative, what would worry me most of all is that 'Tory' is routinely used as an insult amongst my daughters (21 and 19) and their peers to mean 'stupid old middle class person whose views are so out of date as to be not even worth considering'.

When I was their age, Thatcherite Conservatism wasn't much more popular but was still considered a valid view to hold, slightly eccentric maybe for our age group but far from beyond the pale.

Of course the term Tory started out as an insult so we've come full circle.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028

Ghedebrav said:

For classic computer games, see also Dune (RPG) and Dune 2 (one of the first RTS games).
    I played Dune 2 to death on the Megadrive, despite the shonky joypad interface. I'd still probably play C&C, at least from Red Alert 2 onwards, today - albeit I don't have the time or the hardware.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

I remember a poll in the runup to 2010 election which showed the most popular party among teachers - teachers! - was the Conservatives (tried to dig it out but can't find it at source).

Granted this was at the height of Cleggmania so a lot of the left-ish vote was split, but still.
    I knew plenty of people in academia who voted for Cameron in 2015. He was part of the metropolitan liberal elite, so he fitted. People were less bothered about equality and suspicious of Miliband being a bit weird/in Salmond's pocket/a red under the bed.

ETA: And I imagine most teachers end up hating the government of the day after a few years, for all the things they've made worse. Same for healthcare workers too, I expect!
    On the other hand Boris was the first Tory leader ever to win unskilled working class and unemployed DEs in 2019, even if he did less well than Cameron with posh upper middle class ABs and academics and teachers
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,780
    edited May 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I played Dune 2 to death on the Megadrive, despite the shonky joypad interface. I'd still probably play C&C, at least from Red Alert 2 onwards, today - albeit I don't have the time or the hardware.
    Same here.

C&C was basically a spin off from Dune II which had very little in common with the original Dune game it was notionally a sequel to. Warcraft etc too were all clearly inspired by Dune II.

Very similar to Alien/Aliens and Terminator/Terminator 2.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,287
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Thoughts?

They dont have own houses, they dont have kids, therefore they have no responsibilities.
    Lol - Millenials are precisely the cohort with young kids.
    suggest you look at birth rates in the 1960s compared to now. You lot arent having enough babies. Is that money or a lifestyle choice ?
    Well, in my case it's biology, on account of the fact that men can't have babies.
    TRANS DEBATE ALERT!
    TRANS DEBATE ALERT!
    Please evacuate the forum. This is not a drill. Repeat, this is not a drill.
    Debate is...generous.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Two categories is enough (The men's cat basically being "open").
    Except if physical contact is involved - then you might want 4 categories.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    edited May 2023
    HYUFD said:

If ability to hold a heavy sword on TV is their chief criteria for being leader of the party you really do need to take their vote away from them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But why should the men's category be the open one?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

On the other hand Boris was the first Tory leader ever to win unskilled working class and unemployed DEs in 2019, even if he did less well than Cameron with posh upper middle class ABs and academics and teachers
    Indeed. He steered away from the metropolitan liberal elite and captured a different demographic and got a big win. But, that was helped by the disdain of much of that group for Corbyn (and also by the need, more important for that group, to 'get Brexit done').

With levelling up apparently forgotten/binned (and certainly not delivered) and Corbyn gone, continuing the appeal to that group is more of a challenge. Meanwhile, the 'posh upper middle class....' are still a bit pissed by Brexit (at least the younger posh upper middle class) and are (again, at least the younger) more socially liberal. Can you admit to voting Tory in such polite society? :wink: Sunak is no doubt helping with that, but his choice of cabinet is not. And Starmer may have had humble roots, but he's almost one of us, you know...

Labour has similar, although less acute, problems trying to appeal to the poshos and the plebs at once, but with Brexit less of a pressing issue and Starmer not being Corbyn, it's getting easier.

By the way, I'm a bit sad, as an academic, to apparently be excluded (by the 'and') from the 'posh upper middle class ABs'. :disappointed:

ETA: Much of the above firmly tongue in cheek, in the terminology at least. My dad would be C1 social class, I think, my mum initially C1 jobs, but after bringing us up, D/E jobs (retail).
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

If ability to hold a heavy sword on TV is their chief criteria for being leader of the party you really do need to take their vote away from them.
    It's a decent proxy for other qualities. It would rule out Corbyn, for example.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because if a woman wants to compete against a man in the men's category that's not unfair.

If a man wants to compete against a woman in their category it is unfair.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,287
    HYUFD said:

Tory grassroots = auld fuds who felt a stirring in their Brook Taverner slacks when Penny firmly grasped their, sorry, her hilt?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

No unexpected, but what a bunch of utter plonkers.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

Thoughts?

They dont have houses, they dont have kids, therefore they have no responsibilities.
    Millennials have no kids? Huge if true given that the oldest of them are now getting into their mid-40s.
  • Options

A 91-year-old woman had a Taser pointed at her and a spit hood put over her head by police after a dispute with her carer.

The Metropolitan Police said that the elderly woman was “distressed” and allegedly spat at one officer when they were called to her home in Peckham, south-east London, on May 9.

She was handcuffed, had a mesh spit hood placed over her head and a Taser trained on her before she was taken to hospital without being arrested.

It is claimed she was left with cuts and bruising to both wrists and one of her arms.

Watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating what happened.

One officer has been suspended and is not allowed to use Taser while the investigation is carried out, and five other officers have been placed on restricted duties so they have no contact with the public.

A member of the woman’s family has been allowed to watch footage of what happened from the officers’ bodyworn video cameras.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/30/woman-91-taser-spit-hood-iopc-police-suspended/

Wait, are there officers who are suspended but are still permitted to use a Taser?! It is the Met, I guess, so anything is possible.
  • Options
    What proportion of the total youtube advertising market is being currently purchased by Greg Secker lol.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Human female evolutionary physiological adaptations for childbirth & rearing mean elite female athletes are at an inherent physiological disadvantage compared to men.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837
    Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

Primary school teachers were, in my experience, fairly appreciative of the Blair government.
    Having been indifferent to the incoming 2010 government, they utterly despise the current lot.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,948

BTW, did you see that the Met won't have anything to do with mental stuff? (How they can (a) diagnose it at all and (b) do so at a distance, through the 911 phone line maybe, defeats me.) THough this time there may be some justification.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/30/first-edition-met-police-mental-health-care
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/28/met-police-to-stop-attending-emergency-mental-health-calls
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tory grassroots = auld fuds who felt a stirring in their Brook Taverner slacks when Penny firmly grasped their, sorry, her hilt?
    Natural lawn food, innit. Lots of NPK.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Thoughts?

They dont have houses, they dont have kids, therefore they have no responsibilities.
    Millennials have no kids? Huge if true given that the oldest of them are now getting into their mid-40s.
    Is all youve got to do simply talk to oldies beause you have nothing better to fill your days ? You should be out shagging and helping fill our empty schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/may/29/more-90-primary-schools-in-england-to-close-or-face-closure-for-lack-of-pupils
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    DougSeal said:

Thoughts?

Eldest grandson and his wife have just started a family, in their early 30s. A large number of her friends from student days have also just started families.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    Carnyx said:

BTW, did you see that the Met won't have anything to do with mental stuff? (How they can (a) diagnose it at all and (b) do so at a distance, through the 911 phone line maybe, defeats me.) THough this time there may be some justification.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/30/first-edition-met-police-mental-health-care
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/28/met-police-to-stop-attending-emergency-mental-health-calls
    I think the announcement means they won’t routinely attend calls already designated a mental health event. For example, when we lived in Greenwich our elderly next door neighbour was sectioned by her family. Required an ambulance and a police car for hours. They’ll still attend calls that ultimately turn out to be a mental health call.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

Indeed. He steered away from the metropolitan liberal elite and captured a different demographic and got a big win. But, that was helped by the disdain of much of that group for Corbyn (and also by the need, more important for that group, to 'get Brexit done').

With levelling up apparently forgotten/binned (and certainly not delivered) and Corbyn gone, continuing the appeal to that group is more of a challenge. Meanwhile, the 'posh upper middle class....' are still a bit pissed by Brexit (at least the younger posh upper middle class) and are (again, at least the younger) more socially liberal. Can you admit to voting Tory in such polite society? :wink: Sunak is no doubt helping with that, but his choice of cabinet is not. And Starmer may have had humble roots, but he's almost one of us, you know...

Labour has similar, although less acute, problems trying to appeal to the poshos and the plebs at once, but with Brexit less of a pressing issue and Starmer not being Corbyn, it's getting easier.

By the way, I'm a bit sad, as an academic, to apparently be excluded (by the 'and') from the 'posh upper middle class ABs'. :disappointed:

ETA: Much of the above firmly tongue in cheek, in the terminology at least. My dad would be C1 social class, I think, my mum initially C1 jobs, but after bringing us up, D/E jobs (retail).
    Academics and teachers are culturally ABs but income wise often more C1s, still a million miles away culturally from the Brexit voting working classes if less so on economics
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

I think the announcement means they won’t routinely attend calls already designated a mental health event. For example, when we lived in Greenwich our elderly next door neighbour was sectioned by her family. Required an ambulance and a police car for hours. They’ll still attend calls that ultimately turn out to be a mental health call.
    Ah, thanks, that makes sense.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I saw that the other day.

I did read a study a while back which said coppers aren't properly equipped to deal with mental health issues, and their simple presence can make the person who is experiencing the mental health episode to become even more aggressive.
  • Options
    Even if a drop, 69% in Ireland calling themselves Roman Catholic (plus 124,749 Church of Ireland) still much more religious than the UK where in the 2021 census only 46% even called themselves Christian
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

Primary school teachers were, in my experience, fairly appreciative of the Blair government.
    Having been indifferent to the incoming 2010 government, they utterly despise the current lot.
    See SureStart and the stupidest bit of minor cost saving that Osbourne did...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Even if a drop, 69% in Ireland calling themselves Roman Catholic (plus 124,749 Church of Ireland) still much more religious than the UK where in the 2021 census only 46% even called themselves Christian
    Id look at the Dublin result as the way things are headed. Only 53% of Dubliners descibe themselves as Catholic, that will be well under half at the next census. Where Dublin goes the rest tend to follow .
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Carnyx said:

I did read a study a while back which said coppers aren't properly equipped to deal with mental health issues, and their simple presence can make the person who is experiencing the mental health episode to become even more aggressive.
    My experience is actually quite different. I've a relative who has suffered from bi-polar disorder, and the police have always been very good (often much better than NHS staff).
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

Academics and teachers are culturally ABs but income wise often more C1s, still a million miles away culturally from the Brexit voting working classes if less so on economics
    There's probably an interesting multivariate relationship here that could be modelled: education - income/wealth = propensity to vote left. Multiple linear regression / principal component analysis.

So all being equal the more wealthy you are the more Tory-inclined you are, for economic reasons (though Boris and Truss have certainly undermined that more recently)

and all being equal the higher education you have the more Labour- or LibDem-inclined you are, for cultural reasons

But, the higher your education the more wealthy you're likely to be.

So those with unusual characteristics on these two scores have the highest partisanship: i.e. rich but non-graduate: rock solid Tory; poor graduates: rock solid Labour bordering Corbynite. Whereas rich grads and poor non-grads are the more swingy voters.

• Options

Carnyx said:

I was at a bar once when someone had an episode (partially mental health, partially alcohol induced) and two paramedics arrived to deal with it.

The man having the episode became even more agitated thinking they were the Police and he was in trouble, the paramedics repeatedly pointed to their uniforms saying "look we're NHS not Police" which eventually got through to him and helped the man calm down.

Having paramedics [or similar] rather than Police deal with mental health issues has always struck me as the more logical first step. It should be a healthcare, not law and order, issue.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

There's probably an interesting multivariate relationship here that could be modelled: education - income/wealth = propensity to vote left. Multiple linear regression / principal component analysis.

So all being equal the more wealthy you are the more Tory-inclined you are, for economic reasons (though Boris and Truss have certainly undermined that more recently)

and all being equal the higher education you have the more Labour- or LibDem-inclined you are, for cultural reasons

So those with unusual characteristics on these two scores have the highest partisanship: i.e. rich but non-graduate: rock solid Tory; poor graduates: rock solid Labour bordering Corbynite. Whereas rich grads and poor non-grads are the more swingy voters.

I'd have thought there's a very clear correlation between high academic status/relatively low income, and being left wing. That's the position of most Green voters in General Elections. And, it's that group that have always driven revolutions.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because if a woman wants to compete against a man in the men's category that's not unfair.

Yes, rather like disabled athletes can compete in able bodied competition but not vice versa.

- except for sports where women have no natural physical disadvantage, like equestrianism, coxing rowers or playing snooker (they have a social disadvantage on the latter as few girls spend 10 hours a day in snooker halls during their youth).
  • Options
    edited May 2023

HYUFD said:

Id look at the Dublin result as the way things are headed. Only 53% of Dubliners descibe themselves as Catholic, that will be well under half at the next census. Where Dublin goes the rest tend to follow .
    Still 53% of even those in Dublin Roman Catholic higher than those in England and Wales Christian. In fact in England rural areas now have about the same percentage Christian as Dublin is Catholic, cities and university towns in England and Wales even less Christian now than the nation overall.

Ireland remains much more religious and certainly much more Christian than the UK. Indeed Ireland is closer to Poland, Greece and the USA in terms of religious belief than most of the rest of the western world
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

The UK's railway system is a failure. Bring it into public ownership.

Cos that's where all the failures go to die....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

I'd have thought there's a very clear correlation between high academic status/relatively low income, and being left wing. That's the position of most Green voters in General Elections. And, it's that group that have always driven revolutions.
    And conversely the "self made man", a character recognisable since at least Dickens' time, is by tradition always a political conservative.
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

Yes and the same trend now holds across most of the western world. Whereas in the 1970s for example rich graduates almost always voted Tory and poor non-grads almost always voted Labour
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,602
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

My experience is actually quite different. I've a relative who has suffered from bi-polar disorder, and the police have always been very good (often much better than NHS staff).
    Dementia can also lead to a completely beserk fighting rage. The strength involved is startling.

A relative did some work in a care hospice. On a couple of occasions she ended up looking like she’d had a major fight.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because if it's the female one then it's game over for most biological women. ... to coin a phrase.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    felix said:

Indeed, it is interesting that those on the left think that this is a panacea when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that bureaucrats will ever understand how to run organisations or companies. Public ownership really means trades union ownership, where the organisation in question is run in the absolute interest of the employees and the customer (sometimes called a patient - cos she/he will need lots of patience) can go and get stuffed.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Except that Dublin is now a very cosmo city. It used to be one of the few parochial capital cities of Europe, now it is a powerhouse with huge inward investment from around the world
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,854
    edited May 2023

felix said:

Indeed, it is interesting that those on the left think that this is a panacea when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that bureaucrats will ever understand how to run organisations or companies. Public ownership really means trades union ownership, where the organisation in question is run in the absolute interest of the employees and the customer (sometimes called a patient - cos she/he will need lots of patience) can go and get stuffed.
    The history of the East Coast mainline over the past 20 years suggests it does a lot better in public ownership than when someone's trying to syphon off profits and bonuses.

Rail in France seems to do pretty well.

What sort of panacea has private ownership been for vital national infrastructure such as water, electricity and rail?
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Spanish_general_election

First poll since Spanish GE announced gives PP a 12 point lead with PSOE just 5 points ahead of the right wing Vox party!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330

Pulpstar said:

Its a great question, and I think is at the heart of why trans-woman should not be allowed to participate in (most) women's sports. Essentially there is no perceived danger of a trans-man having a physical advantage over a cis-man (I hate that phrase), so an open category works, in that no-one is disadvantaged.
    Its a tough issue, but for me a trans-woman, unless transitioned before puberty (and thats another whole area of contention) gains an advantage through natural growth that no reduction in testosterone will quite nullify.

There was a similar bruhaha about paralympians running on blades. Clearly it would be possible to make longer blades that would enable a quick paralympian to be quicker than a non disable runner. With the South African sprinter, I believe it was found that his 'latent' talent would not match his times if he were not disabled, and that he was gaining an advantage by not having legs (as crazy as that sounds).
  • Options

felix said:

More worrying is that so many people think the same.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Dementia can also lead to a completely beserk fighting rage. The strength involved is startling.

A relative did some work in a care hospice. On a couple of occasions she ended up looking like she’d had a major fight.
    Certainly here in Scotland as people find mental health services harder and harder to access due to overstretched staff /MHAS not assessing people / total lack of beds and other pressures, Police are asked to step in more and more often to do a sort of crisis management on the spot. I expect they're sick of it at this point.

I work on the fringes of MH and i find it feels like watching everything collapse, in slow motion. It was at breaking point pre-COVID so that seems like an excuse.
  • Options

felix said:

The history of the East Coast mainline over the past 20 years suggests it does a lot better in public ownership than when someone's trying to syphon off profits and bonuses.

What sort of panacea has private ownership been for vital national infrastructure such as water, electricity and rail?
    Really, is that view based on actual usage on a regular basis or the odd holiday? I guess you haven't been trying to use it when they go on one of their many strikes? French punctuality is a massive 1% better (91%) than British (90%) according to the EU. The UK system is also the third safest in Europe.

Left wingers just don't understand how to run things. Privatisation has had a huge number of faults, but it is the least worst system when compared to nationalisation. I guess you are not old enough to remember British Rail, British Telecom and even Pickfords (ffs) when they were all in "public ownership". The service was absolutely shite, but hey, we were all meant to be grateful because "we" (chortle) owned them all.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,557
    I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. It's like they've "done a Telegraph" and shifted a decimal point

"The numbers who speak Irish increased by 6pc between 2016 and 2022 to 1,873,997.

Of the people who said they could speak Irish, 623,961 spoke Irish daily within and outside the education system."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Except that Dublin is now a very cosmo city. It used to be one of the few parochial capital cities of Europe, now it is a powerhouse with huge inward investment from around the world
    which simply accelerates the change. Most of Leinster is within the Dublin orbit so the social change spreads and Leinster has over half the RoI population
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Thoughts?

I'm sure there's an association, but the causality is interesting. Does your well educated academic lean left due to being relatively (for education level) poorly paid* or is your left leaning person, less interesting in amassing personal wealth/more interested in society, more likely to be happy in academia? Reverse for your wealthier more or less educated person.

*I don't think academics are particularly poorly paid, but in the more science-oriented/technical sectors there are better paid private sector positions (I've worked in some)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Where all these native Irish Gaelic speakers? 623,000 of 'em speaking it "daily"?

I have travelled all across Ireland half a dozen times - at least - and I have heard Gaelic spoken naturally - conversationally - and briefly - precisely twice: on the Aran island of Inishmore, and down in the Ring of Kerry

That's it
  • Options
    This will also help the Lib Dems become the third party.

Nearly 800 mortgage deals have been pulled from the market amid rising concerns over higher interest rates.

UK banks and building societies have scrapped hundreds of offerings across both the residential and buy-to-let sector over the last week.

The number of residential mortgages has fallen by 373 to 5,012 since the start of last week, while the number of buy-to-let mortgages has fallen by 405 deals to 2,343.

The figures from financial data group Moneyfacts also showed the impact on mortgage rates, with the average rate on a two- and five-year fixed mortgage rising to 5.38pc and 5.05pc respectively since the start of May.

It comes after worse-than-expected inflation figures last week fuelled concerns that the Bank of England will continue to raise interest rates to keep a lid on prices.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/05/30/ftse-100-markets-live-news-us-debt-ceiling-ron-desantis/
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,016

...for me a trans-woman, unless transitioned before puberty (and thats another whole area of contention) gains an advantage through natural growth that no reduction in testosterone will quite nullify...

You raise an interesting point. Most of the work (I think - happy to be corrected) on transgender sports has looked at the differences between men and women and to what degree people who transition lose their old characteristics and gain new ones. It's facially plausible, but has a conceptual problem: specifically the test should not be whether they are different, but whether they perform differently.

In your example, the test should be "do people with blades perform better or worse than people with blades". It is misleading to develop a theoretical "latent" speed and compare them to that. It would be more accurate to simply race a large enough number in one group against another in controlled conditions. This could then be generalized from blades to trans to indeed anything.

We could discuss the details: if controlled circs are not available they could be estimated from real-life competition. How best should one measure the performance difference. And so on.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,948
    edited May 2023
    TimS said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, rather like disabled athletes can compete in able bodied competition but not vice versa.

- except for sports where women have no natural physical disadvantage, like equestrianism, coxing rowers or playing snooker (they have a social disadvantage on the latter as few girls spend 10 hours a day in snooker halls during their youth).
    The sports where men and women compete together, are still mostly male dominated for a whole load of reasons, and appear to all be working hard to encourage more women participants.

As you say, we need to encourage more teenage girls to spend 10 hours a day in the snooker hall! F1 would love to find a lady driver, but she still has to be good enough, which means feeding the funnel of lady kart drivers at a young age. Snooker, pool, darts, all now have women on professional tours, and the various equestrian events are probably the most ‘mixed’ sports of all.

It’s been suggested that a Paralympic category for transwomen is a fair solution, but that comes with other problems.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. It's like they've "done a Telegraph" and shifted a decimal point

"The numbers who speak Irish increased by 6pc between 2016 and 2022 to 1,873,997.

Of the people who said they could speak Irish, 623,961 spoke Irish daily within and outside the education system."
    Yes, that made me smile too, but then a lot of government jobs would require Irish at some level. However actual use of the language on a daily basis as a first language has always been small. Its telling that after 100 years only a third of tjhe population can speak the language.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Its Monty Python's Holy Grail come true

“I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
    The King was holding the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch too, presumably in case Penny Mordaunt was unable to protect him should he be attacked during the coronation by the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
  • Options

felix said:

The history of the ECML says that people seriously estimate the profits they can extract from passengers only to discover there is very little extra money that can be extracted when they already pay full whack.

The only way to earn more money would be to add more trains and that simply isn't possible because the ECML runs at capacity.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Its a great question, and I think is at the heart of why trans-woman should not be allowed to participate in (most) women's sports. Essentially there is no perceived danger of a trans-man having a physical advantage over a cis-man (I hate that phrase), so an open category works, in that no-one is disadvantaged.
    Its a tough issue, but for me a trans-woman, unless transitioned before puberty (and thats another whole area of contention) gains an advantage through natural growth that no reduction in testosterone will quite nullify.

There was a similar bruhaha about paralympians running on blades. Clearly it would be possible to make longer blades that would enable a quick paralympian to be quicker than a non disable runner. With the South African sprinter, I believe it was found that his 'latent' talent would not match his times if he were not disabled, and that he was gaining an advantage by not having legs (as crazy as that sounds).
    It's not quite the same but able bodied vs wheelchair would be "fair" at about 500 metres distance, shorter favours legs whereas you can really get rolling for longer distances in the chair.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Leon said:

Yes, that made me smile too, but then a lot of government jobs would require Irish at some level.However actual use of the language on a daily claim they basis as tbeir first language has always been small. Its telling that after 100 years only a third of tjhe population can speak the language.
    I simply don't believe a third of Irish people have a good command of Gaelic, nor that 620,000 use it daily and naturally

The only way you can reach that number is if you include everyone speaking it at school/college in Gaelic classes - and on that basis you could say 5m Brits speak French, Spanish or German daily - and maybe a few civil servants who need a few phrases

It's a ludicrous statistic
  • Options
    Can we deploy army snipers to test match grounds? If Just Stop Oil bugger up the Ashes then I expect the crowd will take matters into their own hands. I'm sure the Western Terrace or the Hollies Stand will be particularly sympathetic.

MCC to ramp up security for Lord's Ashes Test over Just Stop Oil fears

Cricket authorities have growing concerns that any paint on the wicket will be impossible to shift without changing or damaging it

Marylebone Cricket Club, the proprietors of Lord’s, will ramp up security because of fears Just Stop Oil protesters will try to sabotage next month's Ashes. Cricket authorities are bracing themselves for this summer’s series against Australia to be the latest target in a string of sporting pitch invasions by the environmental activists.

On Saturday, two men stormed the pitch at Twickenham, where the Premiership Rugby final between Saracens and Sale Sharks had to be paused for five minutes after they threw orange powder paint onto the pitch. England’s Tom Curry helped stewards escort one of the men from the field, and the pair were booed by the crowd.

Just Stop Oil last month disrupted the World Snooker Championship at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, with two individuals jumping onto the tables and pouring paint over themselves, before being removed. Last week the environmentalist group also targeted the Chelsea Flower Show. Commander Kyle Gordon of the Metropolitan Police said that London has seen 102 slow marches from Just Stop Oil, leading to 51 arrests.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/05/29/mcc-up-security-lords-ashes-test-over-just-stop-oil-fears/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It's not quite the same but able bodied vs wheelchair would be "fair" at about 500 metres distance, shorter favours legs whereas you can really get rolling for longer distances in the chair.
    The London marathon wheelchair record is 1h24m, it takes a record-breaking man with legs half as long again to run the distance!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, that made me smile too, but then a lot of government jobs would require Irish at some level.However actual use of the language on a daily claim they basis as tbeir first language has always been small. Its telling that after 100 years only a third of tjhe population can speak the language.
    I simply don't believe a third of Irish people have a good command of Gaelic, nor that 620,000 use it daily and naturally

The only way you can reach that number is if you include everyone speaking it at school/college in Gaelic classes - and on that basis you could say 5m Brits speak French, Spanish or German daily - and maybe a few civil servants who need a few phrases

Well its compulsory at schools, but I suspect its like my Trigonometry. I used it to pass an exam and have never needed it since.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Water, rail and electricity privatisation all look to have been botched.

As I’ve said before, the neoliberal era (1979-“today”) and we need to revisit a hell of a lot of assumptions that parties of right *and* left signed up to.

This does not mean a return to statism a la 1945.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

...for me a trans-woman, unless transitioned before puberty (and thats another whole area of contention) gains an advantage through natural growth that no reduction in testosterone will quite nullify...

You raise an interesting point. Most of the work (I think - happy to be corrected) on transgender sports has looked at the differences between men and women and to what degree people who transition lose their old characteristics and gain new ones. It's facially plausible, but has a conceptual problem: specifically the test should not be whether they are different, but whether they perform differently.

In your example, the test should be "do people with blades perform better or worse than people with blades". It is misleading to develop a theoretical "latent" speed and compare them to that. It would be more accurate to simply race a large enough number in one group against another in controlled conditions. This could then be generalized from blades to trans to indeed anything.

We could discuss the details: if controlled circs are not available they could be estimated from real-life competition. How best should one measure the performance difference. And so on.

I misread that for a second and thought that @turbotubbs was announcing that *they* were a transwoman, and then I realised the lack of a comma gave it the meaning he intended.

The power of punctuation.
  • Options
    Wikipedia is not taken in by this Irish language bollocks

"Linguistic analysis of Irish speakers is therefore based primarily on the number of daily users in Ireland outside the education system, which in 2016 was 20,586 in the Gaeltacht and 53,217 outside it, totalling 73,803.[13]"

20,000 using it daily seems much more accurate, with another 50,000 scattered about who have some command of the tongue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well its compulsory at schools, but I suspect its like my Trigonometry. I used it to pass an exam and have never needed it since.
    How did you manage to square that circle?
  • Options

As I’ve said before, the neoliberal era (1979-“today”) and we need to revisit a hell of a lot of assumptions that parties of right *and* left signed up to.

The Lord preserve us (for reasons I gave earlier)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

See the Wiki entry. That is the actual case

I love old and obscure languages and I would be delighted if Irish Gaelic has undergone an incredible national revival, so you can hear it everywhere in Ireland, but it ain't so. You have to go to the far West, the Gaeltacht, and even then you need to be quite lucky - to hear it used naturally
  • Options

viewcode said:

I misread that for a second and thought that @turbotubbs was announcing that *they* were a transwoman, and then I realised the lack of a comma gave it the meaning he intended.

Eats, shoots, and transitions

:):):)
  • Options

Can we deploy army snipers to test match grounds? If Just Stop Oil bugger up the Ashes then I expect the crowd will take matters into their own hands. I'm sure the Western Terrace or the Hollies Stand will be particularly sympathetic.

MCC to ramp up security for Lord's Ashes Test over Just Stop Oil fears

Cricket authorities have growing concerns that any paint on the wicket will be impossible to shift without changing or damaging it

Marylebone Cricket Club, the proprietors of Lord’s, will ramp up security because of fears Just Stop Oil protesters will try to sabotage next month's Ashes. Cricket authorities are bracing themselves for this summer’s series against Australia to be the latest target in a string of sporting pitch invasions by the environmental activists..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/05/29/mcc-up-security-lords-ashes-test-over-just-stop-oil-fears/

At some point, one of these soap-dodgers is going to end up martyred for their cause.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes - see the wheelchair marathon times to see whether the chair confers an advantage over 26.2 miles (It does).
  • Options

viewcode said:

I only intend to be a trans-woman if it helps my academic promotion (sadly that IS a thing in the modern Athena-Swan culture of University life...)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    edited May 2023
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

The SNP currently has 45 seats, the Lib Dems 14.

There are two moving targets: SNP losses and Lib Dem gains. Both are now the central case.

The question is how many seats change hands in each category.

If the SNP lose net 15 seats, they are down to 30. If the Lib Dems gain 16, they are up to 30.

Even leaving aside the "Blue Wall" in the Home Counties, there are quite a few ex Lib Dem seats in Devon and Somerset, plus places like Cheltenham, that look nailed on for the Lib Dems next time. Equally, there are at least 15 seats that look like Labour gains from the SNP, especially in the the greater Glasgow area, and I see no SNP surge against the Tories in the North East and the Borders, so no likely SNP gains.

If counties like Surrey also swing Lib Dem, then Ed Davey will outdo Paddy Ashdown for gains.

I think the odds favour the Lib Dems over the SNP at this point.

In a change from 1997, it looks likely the LDs will win more MPs in Surrey, Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire than Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. The Brexit effect
    Which seats do you think are likely to fall to the Lib Dems in each group, young HY?
    Guildford, Esher and Walton, Surrey SW, Woking and Mole Valley in Surrey. Wantage and Henley in Oxfordshire and in Hertfordshire the LDs could gain Hitchen and Harpenden to add to their gain of St Albans in 2019
    Excellent list (I would say that because it aligns with mine as far as Surrey is concerned).Surrey SW will now be 2 seats so another one as both would be targeted. As an outside shot Surrey Heath. LDs appear very well organised and did spectacularly well in the locals
    Surrey Heath is Camberley, Gove’s seat? That must be pretty safe.

Surrey SW is Hunt’s seat - Farnham, Godalming and a lot of expensive countyside. What will it look like after the boundary changes? @NickPalmer ?
    I was heavily involved in both seats in the past. I can't give more details without giving my identity. Yes SHeath is Gove's seat. I remember it being 100% Tory council. It was slaughter in the locals. 3 more seats will be added to the LD total on 15/5. It is now 21/6 LD/Tory. It will be 24/6 on 15/5. I don't expect the LDs to win it in the GE but it is possible.

Nick will be more upto date than me on SW Surrey. I understand that both seats will be targets for the LDs. I was significantly involved when we missed SW Surrey by 800 odd votes. After that the local party went into infighting. I had to oversee the expulsion of several members. Sigh. Not something I joined to get involved in.

PS correction 15/6.
    Virginia Bottomley was the MP who almost lost in 2001.
    The reason she didn't was because the Tories were better organised and she was a better MP than the Tories in Guildford. The LDs ran a joint campaign for SWSurrey and Guildford. SWSurrey was the target. Guildford was the backup. With about a week to go they switched, although both were worked very hard. The Tories in Guildford were useless. In SWSurrey they were good. Sadly they have learnt their lesson. It is often easier to win by taking your opponent by surprise. The SWSurrey Tories knew all about us.
    Guildford was probably the Tories' worst result at the 2001 election. Nick St Aubyn was the MP who lost, (he'd previously tried and failed to win Truro from the Liberals in 1987 and 1992).
  • Options

All of them were botched, but they have not turned into something worse than they were before.

Can you imagine trying to get broadband under the old British Telecom?

In a parallel universe c. 2023:

"But I have been waiting for this newfangled broadband now for three years and I am still on a party line with a bakelite dial phone"

"You just be grateful for what you have brother, and wait your turn. Mr Corbyn and his committee have promised me they will look at your case when they get round to it in due course. Goodbye brother. Don't bother calling back."
  • Options
  • Options
    With the incoming mortgage disaster as alluded to by TSE, I do still believe we will see a Labour thirty point lead.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1663489680090845186

How bad can you look in an 80-second clip. This bad. 👇🏽

The skill of a politician is to stick to their answer without looking like a myna bird, rocking on its perch, just mimicking human speech. ~AA

This reminds me of that Ed Miliband clip about striking.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think it's just people ticking the box because they took a few lessons on Duolingo.
  • Options

As I’ve said before, the neoliberal era (1979-“today”)

I'd argue 1979-2019 (Thatcher's majority to Boris's). As many have intuited, we ain't in Kansas any more.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Andy_JS said:
    Yes, on current projections BI will overtake Germany by 2050
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Strong stuff from the leader of the opposition in Canada, Pierre Poilievre:

"We need to speak about the fact that Beijing interfered to help the prime minister in two successive elections, that Beijing threatened members of parliament to try and win influence, and that Beijing gave $140,000 to the Trudeau Foundation to buy the favour of this prime minister".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGuwQLWQbU
  • Options

All of them were botched, but they have not turned into something worse than they were before.

Can you imagine trying to get broadband under the old British Telecom?

In a parallel universe c. 2023:

"But I have been waiting for this newfangled broadband now for three years and I am still on a party line with a bakelite dial phone"

"You just be grateful for what you have brother, and wait your turn. Mr Corbyn and his committee have promised me they will look at your case when they get round to it in due course. Goodbye brother. Don't bother calling back."
    We forget just how bad BT used to be.

Yes it took three months to get a line installed, is was probably going to be a party line or DACS line, and you’d better be damn grateful that they deigned to provide you service in the first place.

Great pensions for the staff though, who retired at 55 on 2/3 of their final salary, index-linked, for the rest of their lives.
  • Options

There is an obvious sacred cow that could be slain to distinguish any New Statism from 1945: the NHS.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

felix said:

Really, is that view based on actual usage on a regular basis or the odd holiday? I guess you haven't been trying to use it when they go on one of their many strikes? French punctuality is a massive 1% better (91%) than British (90%) according to the EU. The UK system is also the third safest in Europe.

Left wingers just don't understand how to run things. Privatisation has had a huge number of faults, but it is the least worst system when compared to nationalisation. I guess you are not old enough to remember British Rail, British Telecom and even Pickfords (ffs) when they were all in "public ownership". The service was absolutely shite, but hey, we were all meant to be grateful because "we" (chortle) owned them all.
    LNER (and it's predecessors) are generally better than many other operators, in my experience. Hard to say though whether that's public v private or due to the existence, now at least, of a degree of real competition on the ECML. I have a choice of three operators to get to London on the same line (although some have more services, or others involve a change at York).

There is also a distinction between public as in the BR model and a private company that happens to be publicly owned (if you'll permit that contradiction). LNER, I imagine, looks little different to other operators as it was a private company and there may well be appetite to make it so again at some point. It happens to be publicly owned, but I don't get the impression there's much direct government/DfT oversight of daily running. Same with e.g. Channel 4. BR, as I understand it, was very different.

I suspect the ideal is a mix of public and private in competition, so that private can't take the piss and public has to be moderately efficient and care about the customer as well as the owner. Private companies operating effective monopoly services is not an examplar of the free market in action (see also Water companies).
This discussion has been closed.