Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can the LDs become the 3rd party once again? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    Leon said:

Where all these native Irish Gaelic speakers? 623,000 of 'em speaking it "daily"?

I have travelled all across Ireland half a dozen times - at least - and I have heard Gaelic spoken naturally - conversationally - and briefly - precisely twice: on the Aran island of Inishmore, and down in the Ring of Kerry

That's it

Can't speak for Ireland, but I've lived in Wales over 10 years. In the place I first lived in, I heard Welsh spoken all the time. Where I am now, I pretty much never hear it. There's a big variation in where it's spoken. I can imagine it might be the same in Ireland.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

Leon said:

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. It's like they've "done a Telegraph" and shifted a decimal point

"The numbers who speak Irish increased by 6pc between 2016 and 2022 to 1,873,997.

Of the people who said they could speak Irish, 623,961 spoke Irish daily within and outside the education system."
    I think it's just people ticking the box because they took a few lessons on Duolingo.
    In the Northern Ireland census of 2021 around 6k said that Irish was their main language. This compared with 20k Polish, 9k Lithuanian and 5.6k Portuguese.

72k had the ability to understand, read, speak and write Irish.

21k had the ability to understand, read, speak and write Ulster-Scots.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,914

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Another fine day for the Met.

A 91-year-old woman had a Taser pointed at her and a spit hood put over her head by police after a dispute with her carer.

The Metropolitan Police said that the elderly woman was “distressed” and allegedly spat at one officer when they were called to her home in Peckham, south-east London, on May 9.

She was handcuffed, had a mesh spit hood placed over her head and a Taser trained on her before she was taken to hospital without being arrested.

It is claimed she was left with cuts and bruising to both wrists and one of her arms.

Watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating what happened.

One officer has been suspended and is not allowed to use Taser while the investigation is carried out, and five other officers have been placed on restricted duties so they have no contact with the public.

A member of the woman’s family has been allowed to watch footage of what happened from the officers’ bodyworn video cameras.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/30/woman-91-taser-spit-hood-iopc-police-suspended/

BTW, did you see that the Met won't have anything to do with mental stuff? (How they can (a) diagnose it at all and (b) do so at a distance, through the 911 phone line maybe, defeats me.) THough this time there may be some justification.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/30/first-edition-met-police-mental-health-care
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/28/met-police-to-stop-attending-emergency-mental-health-calls
    I saw that the other day.

I did read a study a while back which said coppers aren't properly equipped to deal with mental health issues, and their simple presence can make the person who is experiencing the mental health episode to become even more aggressive.
    My experience is actually quite different. I've a relative who has suffered from bi-polar disorder, and the police have always been very good (often much better than NHS staff).
    Dementia can also lead to a completely beserk fighting rage. The strength involved is startling.

A relative did some work in a care hospice. On a couple of occasions she ended up looking like she’d had a major fight.
    Yes. It isn't all curling up in the corner and sleeping, sadly.

Unfortunately the dementia patient can get hurt too. It is hard to deal with.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I thought the only way the Lib Dems become the third party was if the SNP imploded but the way the blue wall is going it is entirely possible for the Lib Dems to become the third party even if the SNP don't lose many seats.

They would need to win 38 to overtake the SNP.

Have they ever gained that many in one election? I'm pretty sure the answer's 'not since 1923.'
    28 in 1997 is the most recent record.

See, I've started to do some deep dives, and I've started wondering if seats like Epsom & Ewell might be in play, add in tactical ABC voting, with Labour voters voting tactically en masse and you'd need only a 7.5% swing on top of that to overturn a near 18,000 majority.

You only have to look at that very seat in 1997 to see that tactical voting is tricky in such seats.
    Plus you have the complication of boundary changes. In many constituencies, people won't know which is the most efficient way to vote to get rid of the Conservatives.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I still think this is the big story this morning.

Labour plans to allow local authorities to buy land cheaply for development
    Exclusive: If elected next year, party would allow officials to buy up land at fraction of potential cost as part of ‘pro-building’ agenda
    https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/29/labour-allow-local-authorities-buy-land-cheaply-for-development

This line sums up everything that is broken with our planning system.

An analysis by the Centre for Progressive Policy in 2018 found that planning permission inflated the price of agricultural land by 275 times, pushing it up from £22,520 per hectare to £6.2m per hectare.

And still we have people on this site pushing the myth that planning is not the root of the problem.

Planning permission being granted should not inflate the price of land. The fact that it does by a factor of 27,500% sums up everything wrong with the system.
    I would disagree that it shouldn't inflate the value of land: ultimately, preparing paperwork, studies, etc., is not free.

But I'd hope that the differential in pricing was something like 1.5x, or maybe 2x, not 275x.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Exclusive: If elected next year, party would allow officials to buy up land at fraction of potential cost as part of ‘pro-building’ agenda
    https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/29/labour-allow-local-authorities-buy-land-cheaply-for-development

I think it's an example of something I said a while back- to get big changes to happen, you can either excite the public by emphasising the bigness, or soothe them by making them sound boring and technical.

This sounds dull, but is probably dead important. After all, the money that goes to owners of arbitrarily rationed developable land is one of the big reasons we can't afford nice things.
    It sounds like a very large transfer of power to councils - which is (depending on the details) probably a very good thing.

And possibly makes them more significant players in the housing market than they have been since Thatcher.

Definitely not boring.
    All building is good at this point, but how many people aspire to be allocated a council house?
    Would this change allow Councils to purchase land cheaply and then sell off the houses under a right to buy? Could be a powerful money spinner for the Council.
    I'm quite pleased by this policy announcement.

All serious policies have winners and losers, of course, and governing is just about balancing them appropriately. But non-homeowners have been getting the shitty end of the stick pretty much ever since I can remember.

My view is that we need more housing of all tenures. If all this does is build big council estates, it's still a positive. But (with apologies for rehashing a hobbyhorse of mine) what I'd really like to see if the public sector as private developer - or, rather, as developer of mixed neighbourhoods. One problem with the current model of delivery is that all building impacts the existing population: visual impact, environmental impact, severance, increased traffic, and so on - but developers - quite reasonably - have an interest only in what they sell to their customers; they need planning permission, but that is pretty binary. If councils were able to develop themselves, they could not only provide the housing stock (of all tenures) that they require but also improve the lot of the existing population. And also, as noted above, recycle revenues back into the public purse.

As with any potentially good policy, there are risks and there are downsides: the risk is that the public sector hasn't got the best of records for developing lovely neighbourhoods. But I think we have moved on sufficiently since the 60s that that risk can at least be managed. And the downside is that less profit will go to landowners. I'm trying to think of a way of phrasing this which doesn't sound like 'hooray, the baddies lose out' because that is not what I mean; it's genuinely to be regretted, because profit provides incentive to do things, and also because landowners [sorry - f key has packed in] oten aren't top-hatted baddies but are broadly owned companies in which many pension unds have shares. It's just that in my view loss o proit to devlopers is to be regretted less than a serious shortage o housing.
    It's not clear from the reports I've seen, but the council estate redevelopments around here are mixed for sale/for rent/social rent. And in theory, new private developments are meant to have a social housing element to them. Council house monoculture was definitely a mistake made in the 1950s/60s, and Right to Buy did a good thing in mixing things up a bit.

The recent developments that have worked- Poundbury and the like- have had a single mind controlling the masterplan, the mix of what gets built where and growing the community facilities as you go along. They've also not had to worry too much about the price of the land. It would be good to extend that model beyond benevolent aristrocracy.

And the landowners? I'm sure they will still make a tidy sum from converting undeveloped land into developed. Without these changes in the rules, they might not be allowed to build anything. It's just the profits will be less huge but more certain.
    More Poundburys is probably the answer.

But one Poundbury is only 2,000 houses, so we need at least 300 new Poundburys every year.
    600,000 homes, with an average occupancy of 3.2 people is adding 2 million peoples' worth of accommodation each year. That means in the course of a decade, you'd add homes for 20 million people.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Stocky said:

Bank accounts: I have to change my main current account. Thought I'd pick your brains.

I'm considering Starling vs First Direct. Any comments or other suggestions?

Not been with FD but they regularly top the best customer service satisfaction reports.

Starling are reportedly too small to cope with the recent demand.

I used to bank with Coutts & Co but prefer Lloyds.

Avoid TSB like the plague, absolutely shocking app and online system that regularly goes down.

£150 reward if you switch to Lloyds

https://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/landing/current-accounts.html

£175 if you switch to FD

https://www.firstdirect.com/banking/current-account/?fd_msc=PSR0000025&cid=FSDT:AO:P1:CA:01:1712:001:Brand_BMM&mtp=search&PPCKeyword=+first +direct +account&gclid=CjwKCAjwvdajBhBEEiwAeMh1UzOqVofhuNf34UrelATvhvWU7VzOfceXiUktKNgD8tIkpZgpY3jzhBoCProQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I signed up for FD ages ago on the basis that I use my laptop for everything so an online bank made sense. Annoyingly for me, they have shifted to be much more oriented to smartphones - to use their laptop version, you have to go to your phone, start to log on, then say no, cancel that, now give me the codes screen, now I want the first of the three code options, and then enter the code on the laptop. The RBS system for laptop users (enter two sets of three characters from your chosen two code words - e.g. 1st 3rd and 5th characters in "Hannibal") is far more laptop-friendly.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

Where all these native Irish Gaelic speakers? 623,000 of 'em speaking it "daily"?

I have travelled all across Ireland half a dozen times - at least - and I have heard Gaelic spoken naturally - conversationally - and briefly - precisely twice: on the Aran island of Inishmore, and down in the Ring of Kerry

That's it

Can't speak for Ireland, but I've lived in Wales over 10 years. In the place I first lived in, I heard Welsh spoken all the time. Where I am now, I pretty much never hear it. There's a big variation in where it's spoken. I can imagine it might be the same in Ireland.
    Also social context. The very presence of a monoglot outsider might stop its usage.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,026
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Ghedebrav said:

Selebian said:

Why are the Millennials not starting to convert to vote Tory?

My hypothesis is that tuition fees and student loans are to blame.

Millennials are effectively paying a higher rate of income tax on their earnings as a result of the tuition fee and student loan repayments.

This is adversely impacting their ability to get a mortgage and buy a home as they have less surplus funds to save a deposit and their after tax earnings are only able to support a lower mortgage.

Home owners are more inclined to vote Conservative.

Thoughts?

Some of that, but also Brexit and culture wars.

Brexit was always unpopular in this group and it's seen as the Tory's thing. The current (and last few, since May really) incarnation of the Tory party is also pretty unpalatable to social liberals, which is where most people of those ages and below are.

To have a chance with those under 40, the Tories either need another loon in charge of Labour or another Cameron in charge of the Conservatives. Sunak's not too bad on that score, but it's hard to get past his cabinet an other prominent figures.

Voting Conservative is not massively more socially acceptable than voting UKIP (etc). I exaggerate, but only a bit. Under Cameron, it wasn't thus, even in lefty woke academia.
    I remember a poll in the runup to 2010 election which showed the most popular party among teachers - teachers! - was the Conservatives (tried to dig it out but can't find it at source).

Granted this was at the height of Cleggmania so a lot of the left-ish vote was split, but still.
    I knew plenty of people in academia who voted for Cameron in 2015. He was part of the metropolitan liberal elite, so he fitted. People were less bothered about equality and suspicious of Miliband being a bit weird/in Salmond's pocket/a red under the bed.

ETA: And I imagine most teachers end up hating the government of the day after a few years, for all the things they've made worse. Same for healthcare workers too, I expect!
    On the other hand Boris was the first Tory leader ever to win unskilled working class and unemployed DEs in 2019, even if he did less well than Cameron with posh upper middle class ABs and academics and teachers
    Indeed. He steered away from the metropolitan liberal elite and captured a different demographic and got a big win. But, that was helped by the disdain of much of that group for Corbyn (and also by the need, more important for that group, to 'get Brexit done').

With levelling up apparently forgotten/binned (and certainly not delivered) and Corbyn gone, continuing the appeal to that group is more of a challenge. Meanwhile, the 'posh upper middle class....' are still a bit pissed by Brexit (at least the younger posh upper middle class) and are (again, at least the younger) more socially liberal. Can you admit to voting Tory in such polite society? :wink: Sunak is no doubt helping with that, but his choice of cabinet is not. And Starmer may have had humble roots, but he's almost one of us, you know...

Labour has similar, although less acute, problems trying to appeal to the poshos and the plebs at once, but with Brexit less of a pressing issue and Starmer not being Corbyn, it's getting easier.

By the way, I'm a bit sad, as an academic, to apparently be excluded (by the 'and') from the 'posh upper middle class ABs'. :disappointed:

ETA: Much of the above firmly tongue in cheek, in the terminology at least. My dad would be C1 social class, I think, my mum initially C1 jobs, but after bringing us up, D/E jobs (retail).
    Academics and teachers are culturally ABs but income wise often more C1s, still a million miles away culturally from the Brexit voting working classes if less so on economics
    There's probably an interesting multivariate relationship here that could be modelled: education - income/wealth = propensity to vote left. Multiple linear regression / principal component analysis.

So all being equal the more wealthy you are the more Tory-inclined you are, for economic reasons (though Boris and Truss have certainly undermined that more recently)

and all being equal the higher education you have the more Labour- or LibDem-inclined you are, for cultural reasons

But, the higher your education the more wealthy you're likely to be.

So those with unusual characteristics on these two scores have the highest partisanship: i.e. rich but non-graduate: rock solid Tory; poor graduates: rock solid Labour bordering Corbynite. Whereas rich grads and poor non-grads are the more swingy voters.

Realistically the ABC1C2DE categorisation is well past its sell-by, but is so embedded that it’s hard to move away from (for example, it’s a common media buying audience categorisation).
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Nigelb said:

Is there anything that prevents a council buying land now?

Is the enormous differential in land price between land with and without planning permission really news to anyone?
    So: I'm not that much of a fan of having cities with sharply delineated zones - a la SimCity - for Residential, Industrial, Commercial, etc.

BUT. If you want to streamline the planning process, then I think @Philip_Thompson's idea of having zones where there is a presumption of "yes" for new residential properties is an excellent one.

I certainly think there's a case for doing it for having a number of time limited zones in areas of the country where there are particular crunches.

It is also important to note that we have plenty of parts of the country where there are lots of homes available for pretty low prices. Using regional development policy to try and shift some of the demand for residential property to these areas is also a smart idea. (And, I would note, has been at the heart of German policy.)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,307

With the incoming mortgage disaster as alluded to by TSE, I do still believe we will see a Labour thirty point lead.

There are far more savers than there are mortgage holders in this country. For every loser there will be multiple winners.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

That's it

Welsh has far more speakers than Irish or Scots Gaelic

I've heard Welsh many times. I used to hear it in Herefordshire growing up - farmers coming over the border to the market

I've heard Scots Gaelic a fair few times but that's because I've done so much dedicated travel in the vanishingly few areas where you might hear it. Especially the Sleat peninsula in Skye (with its Gaelic speaking college) and the Islands of Lewis and Harris

it's a beautiful tongue. So sing song
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    edited May 2023
    Taz said:

With the incoming mortgage disaster as alluded to by TSE, I do still believe we will see a Labour thirty point lead.

There are far more savers than there are mortgage holders in this country. For every loser there will be multiple winners.
    About 64% of the adult population have savings. The average amount of savings is £17,365.
    About 37% of the adult population have mortgages. The average size of a mortgage is about £190,000.
    BUT 35% of the population are renters; the rental market follows mortgages up. So 72% of the population are affected negatively by upward movement on interests rates. And to an extent roughly 10x that of the benefit to savers.

BUT (2) increases in interest rates disproportionately benefit those likely to be voting Tory in the older age groups.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583
    Taz said:

Though set against that, I suspect the winners will gain less than the losers lose.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

felix said:

The UK's railway system is a failure. Bring it into public ownership.

Cos that's where all the failures go to die....
    Indeed, it is interesting that those on the left think that this is a panacea when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that bureaucrats will ever understand how to run organisations or companies. Public ownership really means trades union ownership, where the organisation in question is run in the absolute interest of the employees and the customer (sometimes called a patient - cos she/he will need lots of patience) can go and get stuffed.
    The history of the East Coast mainline over the past 20 years suggests it does a lot better in public ownership than when someone's trying to syphon off profits and bonuses.

Rail in France seems to do pretty well.

What sort of panacea has private ownership been for vital national infrastructure such as water, electricity and rail?
    Really, is that view based on actual usage on a regular basis or the odd holiday? I guess you haven't been trying to use it when they go on one of their many strikes? French punctuality is a massive 1% better (91%) than British (90%) according to the EU. The UK system is also the third safest in Europe.

Left wingers just don't understand how to run things. Privatisation has had a huge number of faults, but it is the least worst system when compared to nationalisation. I guess you are not old enough to remember British Rail, British Telecom and even Pickfords (ffs) when they were all in "public ownership". The service was absolutely shite, but hey, we were all meant to be grateful because "we" (chortle) owned them all.
    I really don't understand this post. You throw some figures out that show French railways to be marginally better, and then you conclude that private ownership is better.

Do you realise how weak this makes your assertions look?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,635
    edited May 2023

Can we deploy army snipers to test match grounds? If Just Stop Oil bugger up the Ashes then I expect the crowd will take matters into their own hands. I'm sure the Western Terrace or the Hollies Stand will be particularly sympathetic.

MCC to ramp up security for Lord's Ashes Test over Just Stop Oil fears

Cricket authorities have growing concerns that any paint on the wicket will be impossible to shift without changing or damaging it

Marylebone Cricket Club, the proprietors of Lord’s, will ramp up security because of fears Just Stop Oil protesters will try to sabotage next month's Ashes. Cricket authorities are bracing themselves for this summer’s series against Australia to be the latest target in a string of sporting pitch invasions by the environmental activists.

On Saturday, two men stormed the pitch at Twickenham, where the Premiership Rugby final between Saracens and Sale Sharks had to be paused for five minutes after they threw orange powder paint onto the pitch. England’s Tom Curry helped stewards escort one of the men from the field, and the pair were booed by the crowd.

Just Stop Oil last month disrupted the World Snooker Championship at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, with two individuals jumping onto the tables and pouring paint over themselves, before being removed. Last week the environmentalist group also targeted the Chelsea Flower Show. Commander Kyle Gordon of the Metropolitan Police said that London has seen 102 slow marches from Just Stop Oil, leading to 51 arrests.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/05/29/mcc-up-security-lords-ashes-test-over-just-stop-oil-fears/

Might be able to sniper them under a Tory government, but if there is a government change in UK next year, snipering these extremist vandals will be against Labour Party policy - the Labour Party is being funded by the political wing of these extremists, so will be giving back something in return for the millions of political funding. By accepting donations from the political wing of these extremist groups, will Labour now even be able to clamp down on, arrest and imprison these extremists, let alone sniper them? This is exactly how once moderate and stable countries slip into anarchy and chaos isn’t it?

In fact, with political parties funded in this way, just how democratic can we state a country is?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    edited May 2023
    "I collapsed on the Tube. Nobody bothered to help

Have we become a 'walk on by' society, where people prefer to watch and gawp than help someone in need?
    Iain Dale" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/30/i-collapsed-on-the-tube-nobody-bothered-to-help/
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Farooq said:

felix said:

Indeed, it is interesting that those on the left think that this is a panacea when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that bureaucrats will ever understand how to run organisations or companies. Public ownership really means trades union ownership, where the organisation in question is run in the absolute interest of the employees and the customer (sometimes called a patient - cos she/he will need lots of patience) can go and get stuffed.
    The history of the East Coast mainline over the past 20 years suggests it does a lot better in public ownership than when someone's trying to syphon off profits and bonuses.

What sort of panacea has private ownership been for vital national infrastructure such as water, electricity and rail?
    Really, is that view based on actual usage on a regular basis or the odd holiday? I guess you haven't been trying to use it when they go on one of their many strikes? French punctuality is a massive 1% better (91%) than British (90%) according to the EU. The UK system is also the third safest in Europe.

Left wingers just don't understand how to run things. Privatisation has had a huge number of faults, but it is the least worst system when compared to nationalisation. I guess you are not old enough to remember British Rail, British Telecom and even Pickfords (ffs) when they were all in "public ownership". The service was absolutely shite, but hey, we were all meant to be grateful because "we" (chortle) owned them all.
    I really don't understand this post. You throw some figures out that show French railways to be marginally better, and then you conclude that private ownership is better.

Not only that, but there is a huge difference between publicly owned and publicly run. The danger is in running businesses from Whitehall - directly or at arms length. If we can find a way of squaring that circle (as others have) then we're on to a winner (for any 'business' that requires heavy subsidy as a public good; or "not Pickfords" as I would put it)
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761

Can we deploy army snipers to test match grounds? If Just Stop Oil bugger up the Ashes then I expect the crowd will take matters into their own hands. I'm sure the Western Terrace or the Hollies Stand will be particularly sympathetic.

Cricket authorities have growing concerns that any paint on the wicket will be impossible to shift without changing or damaging it

Marylebone Cricket Club, the proprietors of Lord’s, will ramp up security because of fears Just Stop Oil protesters will try to sabotage next month's Ashes. Cricket authorities are bracing themselves for this summer’s series against Australia to be the latest target in a string of sporting pitch invasions by the environmental activists.

On Saturday, two men stormed the pitch at Twickenham, where the Premiership Rugby final between Saracens and Sale Sharks had to be paused for five minutes after they threw orange powder paint onto the pitch. England’s Tom Curry helped stewards escort one of the men from the field, and the pair were booed by the crowd.

Just Stop Oil last month disrupted the World Snooker Championship at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, with two individuals jumping onto the tables and pouring paint over themselves, before being removed. Last week the environmentalist group also targeted the Chelsea Flower Show. Commander Kyle Gordon of the Metropolitan Police said that London has seen 102 slow marches from Just Stop Oil, leading to 51 arrests.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/05/29/mcc-up-security-lords-ashes-test-over-just-stop-oil-fears/

Might be able to sniper them under a Tory government, but if there is a government change in UK next year, snipering these extremist vandals will be against Labour Party policy - the Labour Party is being funded by the political wing of these extremists, so will be giving back something in return for the millions of political funding. By excepting donations from the political wing of these extremist groups, will Labour now even be able to clamp down on, arrest and imprison these extremists, let alone sniper them? This is exactly how once moderate and stable countries slip into anarchy and chaos isn’t it?

In fact, with political parties funded in this way, just how democratic can we state a country is?
    Stop reading the Daily Mail. You need help
  • Options

Might be able to sniper them under a Tory government, but if there is a government change in UK next year, snipering these extremist vandals will be against Labour Party policy - the Labour Party is being funded by the political wing of these extremists, so will be giving back something in return for the millions of political funding. By excepting donations from the political wing of these extremist groups, will Labour now even be able to clamp down on, arrest and imprison these extremists, let alone sniper them? This is exactly how once moderate and stable countries slip into anarchy and chaos isn’t it?

Rabbit has no interest in the Mail. It's too lefty.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

That's it

I've spent time in Corca Dhuibhne (Dingle), which is supposed to be the heart of Gaelic speaking Ireland.

And while it's certainly true that most people there *can* speak at least some Gaelic, it's extremely unusual to hear people speak it conversationally.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,026
    Andy_JS said:

Have we become a 'walk on by' society, where people prefer to watch and gawp than help someone in need?
    Iain Dale" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/30/i-collapsed-on-the-tube-nobody-bothered-to-help/

Pretty sure the core theme of this article has been reiterated for decades, if not centuries. O tempora, O mores indeed.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Taz said:

About 64% of the adult population have savings. The average amount of savings is £17,365.
    About 37% of the adult population have mortgages. The average size of a mortgage is about £190,000.
    BUT 35% of the population are renters; the rental market follows mortgages up. So 72% of the population are affected negatively by upward movement on interests rates. And to an extent roughly 10x that of the benefit to savers.

BUT (2) increases in interest rates disproportionately benefit those likely to be voting Tory in the older age groups.
    Actually it is 37% with mortgages or loans.

It is far less with just a mortgage.

By the same token the low interest rate regime since 2010 has disproportionately penalised the older age groups.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

Pretty sure the core theme of this article has been reiterated for decades, if not centuries. O tempora, O mores indeed.
    People seem to complain about how much worse thing have become a lot more recently.
    When I was younger, people were nearly so prone to nostalgia.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    edited May 2023
    mwadams said:

Taz said:

There's a jump in logic there.

Rental prices should reflect supply and demand for rental property so there is little reason for rental prices to follow mortgage rates and if they do I have to ask how come the market is so imperfect...
  • Options
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

By the same token the low interest rate regime since 2010 has disproportionately penalised the older age groups.
    Just 55% of mortgages being issued right now (https://www.fca.org.uk/data/commentary-mortgage-lending-statistics-q4-2022) are for Owner Occupiers. That means almost half of all mortgages are for second homes or for rental accomodation.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583
    mwadams said:

Farooq said:

felix said:

Not only that, but there is a huge difference between publicly owned and publicly run. The danger is in running businesses from Whitehall - directly or at arms length. If we can find a way of squaring that circle (as others have) then we're on to a winner (for any 'business' that requires heavy subsidy as a public good; or "not Pickfords" as I would put it)
    That's the model for London Overground, isn't it? State says what it wants to happen, contractor delivers it for a fee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Overground

Seems to keep the business people focused on doing the desired things in a way that doesn't happen for rail franchises. The downside of navigating a business by profit is that sometimes there's more to be made by finding corners to cut rather than delivering a sustainably good service.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    felix said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Spanish_general_election

First poll since Spanish GE announced gives PP a 12 point lead with PSOE just 5 points ahead of the right wing Vox party!

Meanwhile a landslide win for Meloni's rightwing block in the Italian local elections

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/05/30/giorgia-meloni-triumphs-elections-strongholds-left-italy/
  • Options
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

I doubt it is "far less with just a mortgage". The number of people with just a non-mortgage loan secured on their property is going to be pretty small.

The stats I find most illuminating are here: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-11922413/More-people-England-homes-outright-mortgage-rent-figures-reveal.html

UK property is split into three almost equal parts: own outright, rent, own with mortgage.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

People seem to complain about how much worse thing have become a lot more recently.
    Nostalgia has definitely got worse. In the past it had a moving, poetic quality, bordering on the profound, nowadays nostalgia is just glib and whiney

Who can forget when PB lamented the decline in quality of "supermarket tannoy announcements"

You just don't get nostalgia like that any more
  • Options
    eek said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

Rental prices should reflect supply and demand for rental property so there is little reason for rental prices to follow mortgage rates and if they do I have to ask how come the market is so imperfect...
    Rental prices surely also track the costs of those who own the properties being let.
    If their mortgage and other costs goes up, they pass on the costs.
  • Options
    eek said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

Higher mortgage rates will restrict the supply of new rental properties, so it will have an effect; just not a huge one.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

Nostalgia has definitely got worse. In the past it had a moving, poetic quality, bordering on the profound, nowadays nostalgia is just glib and whiney

Who can forget when PB lamented the decline in quality of "supermarket tannoy announcements"

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    eek said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

It's a good question. Because it certainly is.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

Indeed, our youth was very much the golden age for nostalgia. Modern nostalgia doesn't come close.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847

felix said:

Actual usage for work over 15 years, travelling up and down between Edinburgh, Yorkshire and London.

I am 62, and can well remember the 60s and 70s - a time when plenty of private companies were shite too - BMC / British Leyland, BSA spring to mind.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

It's a busy place in central London where there are staff paid to deal with such issues. So I'm not surprised no-one paused to help a couple of people would have tried to find a staff member to get someone qualified in first aid to come quickly.

Now if he collapsed in the street I suspect the reaction would have been very different but given where he the general public had little need to help out.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    edited May 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

Just 55% of mortgages being issued right now (https://www.fca.org.uk/data/commentary-mortgage-lending-statistics-q4-2022) are for Owner Occupiers. That means almost half of all mortgages are for second homes or for rental accomodation.
    That struck me as being an astonishing statistic - and having looked at the link I don't think it's quite as staggering as it initially sounds.

The share for house purchase for owner occupation was 55.4%, down 0.8pp on the previous quarter, but up 2.3pp from 2021 Q4. The share of gross advances for remortgages for owner occupation was 27.3%, a decrease of 0.8pp since 2021 Q4, but an increase of 2.4pp since 2022 Q3 (Chart 5).
    So my reading is that Second homes or Buy-to-Let are (100% - 55.4% - 27.3%) = 17.3% which is still about 10% too high in my view, but more reasonable.
  • Options
    Hmm

The Cabinet Office has told the Covid-19 inquiry that it cannot hand over Boris Johnson’s WhatsApp messages and notebooks because it does not possess them.

The inquiry has given the government until Thursday afternoon to explain what measures it has taken to gather the material, postponing a likely legal battle by two days.

In a further complication, Johnson claimed he was happy to pass the documents to the Cabinet Office but that officials had not asked.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cabinet-office-tells-covid-inquiry-it-does-not-have-boris-johnsons-whatsapp-messages-m3q0h2png
  • Options
    Farooq said:

with political parties funded in this way, taking money from absolutely anyone just because they love one and a half million pound donations, and they who pay the piper plays the tune, just how democratic can we state a country is? You are tackling the player not the ball because you don’t have an answer to this question, that’s plain for everyone to see.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

It's a busy place in central London where there are staff paid to deal with such issues. So I'm not surprised no-one paused to help a couple of people would have tried to find a staff member to get someone qualified in first aid to come quickly.

Now if he collapsed in the street I suspect the reaction would have been very different but given where he the general public had little need to help out.
    Does anyone remember Esther Rantzen doing this thing where she'd pretend to collapse in the street and if anyone came to her aid she'd award them this tacky little lapel pin. "Hearts of gold". What a dreadful, cringy, awful thing it was. Put me off helping strangers for life.
  • Options
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

Yes - those loans are presumably largely interest bearing but not secured against the property, which is why they are lumped together in the statistics.

But I completely agree - the reverse point is very valid.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    I was nostalgic once.
    But I can't afford to be any more with the state of the world now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    Aye. I remember proper nostalgia. Drop forged in’t water powered mill by men in top ‘ats, it were. Made from Derbyshire pig iron, heated with Welsh best.

That’s proper nostalgia. None of your NFT lark, that.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    Oil price down 4% today.

https://www.bloomberg.com/energy
  • Options
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

That struck me as being an astonishing statistic - and having looked at the link I don't think it's quite as staggering as it initially sounds.

The share for house purchase for owner occupation was 55.4%, down 0.8pp on the previous quarter, but up 2.3pp from 2021 Q4. The share of gross advances for remortgages for owner occupation was 27.3%, a decrease of 0.8pp since 2021 Q4, but an increase of 2.4pp since 2022 Q3 (Chart 5).
    So my reading is that Second homes or Buy-to-Let are (100% - 55.4% - 27.3%) = 17.3% which is still about 10% too high in my view, but more reasonable.

Phew.

Glad you read it better than I did
  • Options

Farooq said:

with political parties funded in this way, taking money from absolutely anyone just because they love one and a half million pound donations, and they who pay the piper plays the tune, just how democratic can we state a country is? You are tackling the player not the ball because you don’t have an answer to this question, that’s plain for everyone to see.
    You were trying to say yesterday this guy was as bad as Putin. Nobody can be expected to engage with you seriously on this issue. This is pigeon/chess territory.
  • Options

If the Daily Mail places a question on its front page, or wherever or whenever someone repeats it, you need to answer it, not come back with a ridiculous response implying the questioner has a mental health issue. You need to come back with a proper answer, proving your position is indeed the better one because.

The is the actual art to politics and debating politics properly on a forum.

You have left this very clear you believe Labour, Tory, accepting £1.5M donations from anyone on earth is no problem at all for UK democracy.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

Does anyone remember Esther Rantzen doing this thing where she'd pretend to collapse in the street and if anyone came to her aid she'd award them this tacky little lapel pin. "Hearts of gold". What a dreadful, cringy, awful thing it was. Put me off helping strangers for life.
    For the record, there are some people who I wouldn't help if I'd seen they'd collapsed.

You know, Jeremy Beedle, Iain Dale, Jolyon Whatsisname, that kind of person.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

For the record, there are some people who I wouldn't help if I'd seen they'd collapsed.

Jeremy Beadle passed away 15 years ago.

It'll be a miracle if he collapsed in the street.
  • Options
    Something Big G and MoonRabbit to get excited over.

Labour leads by 17% in the Red Wall.

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer leads Sunak by 8%, his largest lead in the Red Wall since 7 March

At this moment, which of the following do Red Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (28 May)

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Red Wall is -7%, his joint-highest approval rating in these seats in 2023.

Rishi Sunak Red Wall Net Approval Rating (28 May):

Disapprove: 39% (-2)
    Approve: 32% (+4)
    Net: -7% (+6)

Changes +/- 14 May

Keir Starmer's approval rating in the Red Wall is +1%, his lowest approval rating in these seats since 4 September 2022 (-5%).

Keir Starmer Red Wall Net Approval Rating (28 May):

Approve: 32% (-3)
    Disapprove: 31% (–)
    Net: +1% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Punchy piece by Murdo Fraser about the chronic mess of the Scottish government accounts. He omitted to point out that they seem to have a lot of similarities with the SNP's own accounts: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/finance-secretary-shona-robison-appears-out-of-her-depth-as-1-billion-budget-black-hole-looms-murdo-fraser/ar-AA1bSbb5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=09715485cbe0437c819d4f15ca2ab63c&ei=9

It seems very likely, on these figures, that the Scottish government is looking at either substantial cuts or significant tax increases or a combination of both in the election year for the Scottish Parliament. Another piece of inspirational planning by Yousless.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

At this moment, which of the following do Red Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (28 May)

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Red Wall is -7%, his joint-highest approval rating in these seats in 2023.

Changes +/- 14 May

Keir Starmer's approval rating in the Red Wall is +1%, his lowest approval rating in these seats since 4 September 2022 (-5%).

Changes +/- 14 May

Somewhere BJO is opening his browser...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

You were trying to say yesterday this guy was as bad as Putin. Nobody can be expected to engage with you seriously on this issue. This is pigeon/chess territory.
    I didn’t say that all, it was those arguing with me who brought Putin into it, on the grounds alongs it’s not money from Putins regime like Tory’s have taken then any other donation from anybody else is acceptable. Quite a pathetic fake yardstick you agree - is the money from Putin or Russia? No? Accept it then, as it’s not as bad of Putin/SMERCH money.

You and the others have given quite the pathetic reply to the Daily Mails questioning of Labour’s democratic values actually. For one thing, since 2010 the Tory Party overall have been more susceptible to Chinese use of soft power, splashing their largesse around the world, they get from running a country of slave workers with no rights at all - only appears Boris and his cronies who made the mistake accepting the Russian cash, whilst the parties official policy was to condemn seizure and occupation of Crimea.

Straight away last evening and this afternoon throwing Putin’s money as being the yardstick for all political donations, has been quite pathetic reply from you hasn’t it? There is a fair and serious question here about the funding of our political parties and its impact on our democracy.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

You're ruling out Jeremy's "death" being his most audacious Beadle's About stunt yet - a 15 year long game?

Also, what was particularly objectionable about Beadle in RCS's view? He wasn't everyone's taste, but I don't think he did anything to put himself in the distressingly large pantheon of light entertainment total arseholes of the 70s and 80s - maybe I missed the horrible truth, but he seemed alright as a person.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited May 2023
    DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Can I just say polls do not excite me at all especially this far out

I have accepted Starmer is likely to be PM, and as I will be 80+ with a diamond wedding celebration behind me in Oct 24 the only thing that does excite me is my wonderful family including 5 grandchildren and politics is unlikely to affect me or my wife no matter who is in power

And by the way how much longer are the media going to obsess over the absurd Schofield/ Willoughby story

• Options
    DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Did he explain yesterday's polling?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Punchy piece by Murdo Fraser about the chronic mess of the Scottish government accounts. He omitted to point out that they seem to have a lot of similarities with the SNP's own accounts: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/finance-secretary-shona-robison-appears-out-of-her-depth-as-1-billion-budget-black-hole-looms-murdo-fraser/ar-AA1bSbb5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=09715485cbe0437c819d4f15ca2ab63c&ei=9

It seems very likely, on these figures, that the Scottish government is looking at either substantial cuts or significant tax increases or a combination of both in the election year for the Scottish Parliament. Another piece of inspirational planning by Yousless.

Given the date of the issue Yousless's issue is that another problem of Sturgeon's making is only becoming visible on his watch after she left in a hurry.

The result (as is often the case) is that he is going to cop the blame for issues his predecessor created.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    edited May 2023

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

You're ruling out Jeremy's "death" being his most audacious Beadle's About stunt yet - a 15 year long game?

Also, what was particularly objectionable about Beadle in RCS's view? He wasn't everyone's taste, but I don't think he did anything to put himself in the distressingly large pantheon of light entertainment total arseholes of the 70s and 80s - maybe I missed the horrible truth, but he seemed alright as a person.
    He also put on one of the earliest free festivals. Right behind my then house.
    One of my earliest memories was walking there amidst vast crowds and noise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bickershaw_Festival
  • Options
    Can anyone explain to me why these apparently English-speaking kids are, in fact, unable to speak coherent English?

https://twitter.com/jessgill03/status/1663225248945242112?s=20
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Not that exciting really. The polling hasn’t moved much, and it’s just one sample, the next sample could reverse much if not all of the movement in this one. The trend over all in polling is Rishi on the slide and Tory’s stuck on 28% nationally, some of the Wall polling does at time come across as off trend and bigger movements, it might be sampling vagaries achieving such specific polling.

I also question the concept of “Wall” type polling, because you have to buy into the concept of Walls as “home advantage” as in sport - the truth in the political world is constituency’s trend away from you here and towards you there all the time, for many reasons but particularly demographically and I suspect not just down to one issue things like Brexit. Is Aldershot trending to Labour were what used to be mining areas trending away from them, for example.

And also posting niche polling like this comes across better with comparison with the last general election I think, if we add that here, as Stodge is likely to, it still shows remarkable swings since the last time these constituency’s had General Election votes, such as to imply political earthquake if election was today rather than May 2nd next year.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

Yes - those loans are presumably largely interest bearing but not secured against the property, which is why they are lumped together in the statistics.

But I completely agree - the reverse point is very valid.
    I think you and @Taz are misreading it. "Mortgages or loans" doesn't refer to a person having a house without a mortgage and also a car loan. I think it refers to all liens on the property, because it is specifically a number from the FCA's data on mortgages.
  • Options
    I am glad Rishi has realised a Cambridge man is always the best man for any job.

Rishi Sunak is expected to this week confirm the appointment of a Cambridge professor who is an outspoken opponent of the IHRA definition of antisemitism as his new “free speech tsar.”

Arif Ahmed, who has spoken out against ‘cancel culture’ on campuses, is understood to have accepted the role of Director for Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom, with the power to investigate universities which censure academics for their views.

Jewish News revealed earlier this year how Ahmed had personally criticised the IHRA definition claiming it “obstructs perfectly legitimate defence of Palestinian rights.”

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/sunak-expected-to-confirm-anti-ihra-professor-as-his-new-free-speech-tzar/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

I doubt it is "far less with just a mortgage". The number of people with just a non-mortgage loan secured on their property is going to be pretty small.

The stats I find most illuminating are here: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-11922413/More-people-England-homes-outright-mortgage-rent-figures-reveal.html

UK property is split into three almost equal parts: own outright, rent, own with mortgage.
    It’s 27%, so about a third less.

From the same source as the 37%. Money.co.U.K.
  • Options
    I know Oxford has lower standards than, say, Cambridge, but how does someone this stupid get in?

https://twitter.com/RobertBea/status/1663592272972087309
  • Options
    Young people are desperately stupid, and getting stupider

There's no denying it any more
  • Options
    Leon said:

Can anyone explain to me why these apparently English-speaking kids are, in fact, unable to speak coherent English?

https://twitter.com/jessgill03/status/1663225248945242112?s=20

I am shocked, you are banging on about immigration, again?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Old blokes come out with some stupid shit as well.

Liz Truss would surprise on the upside was quite special as well.
  • Options
    Foreign Secretary James Cleverley says Ukraine has right to 'project force' beyond its borders after drone attack on Moscow.

Bit risky though if we are now providing weapons to attack Russian soil, given Russia is a nuclear weapons power
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukraine-james-cleverly-estonia-foreign-secretary-moscow-b1084581.html
  • Options

Leon said:

Watch that video. They are thick as shit
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That's also edited "highlights". Is your daughter smarter or stupider than you were at that age?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Iain Dale" (£)

Indeed, our youth was very much the golden age for nostalgia. Modern nostalgia doesn't come close.
    Nostalgia certainly isn’t what it was, sadly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That's also edited "highlights". Is your daughter smarter or stupider than you were at that age?
    Stupider. All of them are

Also better behaved and politer, and in some ways much nicer and kinder. I was a drunken hoon

But stupider? Absolutely. Their music is shit, their art is shit, they are incapable of original thought, the decline in human intelligence is real, and is accelerating
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Oil price down 4% today.

Will this have an impact on inflation?

For the last two months at least, UK businesses have put up prices by more than their costs have risen - the latest data for April shows input prices were up by 3.9%, while output prices increased by 5.4%.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Also better behaved and politer, and in some ways much nicer and kinder. I was a drunken hoon

But stupider? Absolutely. Their music is shit, their art is shit, they are incapable of original thought, the decline in human intelligence is real, and is accelerating
    Early onset dementia is a terrible thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

In some ways I say Bring it on, because witnessing the now-undeniable decline is quite painful

The time is indeed ripe for AI to take over
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    HYUFD said:

Foreign Secretary James Cleverley says Ukraine has right to 'project force' beyond its borders after drone attack on Moscow.

Bit risky though if we are now providing weapons to attack Russian soil, given Russia is a nuclear weapons power
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukraine-james-cleverly-estonia-foreign-secretary-moscow-b1084581.html

yes reckless
  • Options

I know Oxford has lower standards than, say, Cambridge, but how does someone this stupid get in?

You can now get into colleges like Lady Margaret Hall at Oxford with just 3 Bs at A level if you are assessed as a 'disadvantaged' student who went to a state school. Cambridge doing similar

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/05/zahawi-misunderstands-why-oxbridge-lowers-grades-for-students-like-me
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224

Andy_JS said:

Oil price down 4% today.

For the last two months at least, UK businesses have put up prices by more than their costs have risen - the latest data for April shows input prices were up by 3.9%, while output prices increased by 5.4%.
    There's always a lag between input prices and the impact on output prices. Hopefully this will help a bit though. The long CPI struggle goes on!
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,296
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. It's like they've "done a Telegraph" and shifted a decimal point

"The numbers who speak Irish increased by 6pc between 2016 and 2022 to 1,873,997.

Of the people who said they could speak Irish, 623,961 spoke Irish daily within and outside the education system."
    Yes, that made me smile too, but then a lot of government jobs would require Irish at some level.However actual use of the language on a daily claim they basis as tbeir first language has always been small. Its telling that after 100 years only a third of tjhe population can speak the language.
    I simply don't believe a third of Irish people have a good command of Gaelic, nor that 620,000 use it daily and naturally

The only way you can reach that number is if you include everyone speaking it at school/college in Gaelic classes - and on that basis you could say 5m Brits speak French, Spanish or German daily - and maybe a few civil servants who need a few phrases

It's a ludicrous statistic
    In vaguely related old twit news..

Fesshole 🧻
    @fesshole

I'm an Irish speaker in a very loyalist part of Norn Iron. Back in uni I used to write to my local council annoymously and request government documents be translated to Irish which they had to do. As the only Irish speaker in the area they came to me. Basically paid for my uni.
    10:25 PM · Jul 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1413247777904238593
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oil price down 4% today.

Says the person threatening to destroy all comers in a debate over the role of the BoE/blame being apportioned on the BoE in the current inflationary mess we are in in a thread this morning 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    HYUFD said:

You can now get into colleges like Lady Margaret Hall at Oxford with just 3 Bs at A level if you are assessed as a 'disadvantaged' student who went to a state school. Cambridge doing similar

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/05/zahawi-misunderstands-why-oxbridge-lowers-grades-for-students-like-me
    At Cambridge, there has historically been a strong correlation between the proportion of state school pupils and the college's position in the Tompkin's table, with Christ's and Trinity usually topping both the proportion of state school kids and the percentage of firsts.

Edit to add: there were - of course - plenty of total imbeciles at Cambridge when I was there. People whom one was staggered had made it through A-Levels at all.
  • Options
    @YouGov
    ·
    1h
    Britons are hopelessly divided on their toothpaste rituals

Water first, then toothpaste, then water again: 29%
    Water first, then toothpaste: 27%
    Toothpaste first, then water: 26%
    Toothpaste only: 14%
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1663570621509296129?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Looking at some of that twitter handles other posts she clearly has an agenda to present in the worst way imaginable to make people who support immigration look dumb. Anyone can cherry pick.

One of her most recent posts. BLM = Buy Luxury Mansions.

I’ll be giving her feed a wide berth.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    HYUFD said:

Also: both Cambridge and Oxford have been very happy to give EE offers to students who impressed enormously at interview. (And, indeed, I got a EE offer from UCL.)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

I believe he was at Wembley watching the mighty Owls get promoted and was then drinking Bedford dry for the next 6 hours
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,952
    mwadams said:

Taz said:

I'm renting my flat out on a temporary basis (consent to let) while I'm in Australia. I hadn't realised that a condition is that the rent I charge must be 125% of my mortgage payment, plus a 1% loading fee.

So the interest rate increase has been immediately passed on (also remortgaging) and I've had to be very apologetic to my friend.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oil price down 4% today.

There's always a lag between input prices and the impact on output prices. Hopefully this will help a bit though. The long CPI struggle goes on!
    Yes, this from Julian Jessop shows exactly that on food prices. He reckons they peaked in March.

https://twitter.com/julianhjessop/status/1661280117832798210?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

In some ways I say Bring it on, because witnessing the now-undeniable decline is quite painful

The time is indeed ripe for AI to take over
    We had planned to move house recently, and I found a collection of old school books from when I was 13 to 17 years old. I spent a happy hour going through them, and my conclusion is that my daughter is about 18 months ahead of where I was.

I didn't do calculus until A-Level maths; she's doing it in the equivalent of the old Fourth Year (year nine). My essays - until A-Level - were woeful. She is quite able to write 800 words in proper paragraphs, and with decent structure.

• Options

HYUFD said:

yes reckless
    Madness if it’s our weapons, given the reason we provide them is for Ukraine to defend its sovereignty
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

At Cambridge, there has historically been a strong correlation between the proportion of state school pupils and the college's position in the Tompkin's table, with Christ's and Trinity usually topping both the proportion of state school kids and the percentage of firsts.

Edit to add: there were - of course - plenty of total imbeciles at Cambridge when I was there. People whom one was staggered had made it through A-Levels at all.
    In entirely unrelated news, wasn't Kwasi Kwarteng at Trinity the same time as you were. And Suella Braverman at Queens' only a couple of years later... ;)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

I believe he was at Wembley watching the mighty Owls get promoted and was then drinking Bedford dry for the next 6 hours
    I was there yesterday too.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Chuffed to bits for Darren Moore. Always seems to be a nice guy. Treated poorly by WBA.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    HYUFD said:

Interesting. Admission from HMG that the drone attacks are not a false flag, as speculated by some this morning?

Common sense supports Cleverley’s defence, but it’s another inch in upping the stakes. Hope he’s not just speaking off the cuff.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sample size is what - three or four?
    And only one person there appears unable to communicate coherently.

I’m more worried about the very stupid logic which says that Britain needs to have a completely open door immigration policy “because Empire”.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

This is still my favourite Tompkins table correlation.

A graph produced by a Cambridge graduate demonstrates a striking correlation between the wine budgets of Cambridge colleges and the academic attainment of their students.

Kings, St John’s, Trinity and Jesus – the four colleges with an annual wine budget over £200,000 – all obtained more firsts than the collegiate average during the last academic year. With an annual wine expenditure of £14,033 and only 13.2% of students receiving first class degrees, Hughes Hall represents the lowest point on the graph.

King’s College is a notable outlier. Its £338,559 wine budget is the largest of any of the colleges, but it obtained markedly fewer first class degrees than some of its more frugal counterparts. The size of the college’s wine budget has already attracted negative publicity in the weeks since the college’s alcohol outlay was originally made public via a Freedom of Information request. The college’s Living Wage campaigners have adopted the slogan ‘Wages not Wine’ as the rallying cry for their protests.

Grayden Reece-Smith, a student at Churchill College from 2007 to 2010, decided to create the chart after noticing that the colleges with the highest wine budgets were also traditionally those ranked as the best academic performers by in the annual Tompkins Table.

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/6827
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

44% of Trinity college students went to private school, the 4th highest percentage at Cambridge now. 37% of Christ's college students went to private schools as well, the 8th highest private school percentage
    https://thetab.com/uk/2019/10/04/the-oxbridge-colleges-admitting-the-most-private-school-kids-127451
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

DougSeal said:

Red Wall VI (28 May):

Labour 48% (-4)
    Conservative 31% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 7% (–)
    Reform UK 7% (–)
    Green 4% (–)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (–)
    Other 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 14 May

Starmer 41% (+3)
    Sunak 33% (–)
    Don't Know 26% (-3)

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

Changes +/- 14 May

By contrast Wes Streeting was on another jolly to Israel, where he supports and endorses their private health insurance system where participation in a medical insurance plan is compulsory
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, that made me smile too, but then a lot of government jobs would require Irish at some level.However actual use of the language on a daily claim they basis as tbeir first language has always been small. Its telling that after 100 years only a third of tjhe population can speak the language.
    I simply don't believe a third of Irish people have a good command of Gaelic, nor that 620,000 use it daily and naturally

The only way you can reach that number is if you include everyone speaking it at school/college in Gaelic classes - and on that basis you could say 5m Brits speak French, Spanish or German daily - and maybe a few civil servants who need a few phrases

It's a ludicrous statistic
    In vaguely related old twit news..

Fesshole 🧻
    @fesshole

I'm an Irish speaker in a very loyalist part of Norn Iron. Back in uni I used to write to my local council annoymously and request government documents be translated to Irish which they had to do. As the only Irish speaker in the area they came to me. Basically paid for my uni.
    10:25 PM · Jul 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1413247777904238593
    What’s Gaelic for chapeau?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

In entirely unrelated news, wasn't Kwasi Kwarteng at Trinity the same time as you were. And Suella Braverman at Queens' only a couple of years later... ;)
    Yes: he was two years below me, but I knew him because he was very good friends with a friend of mine. I then knew him again when he was at Odey, and I was a Fund Manager around the corner.

I did not know Suella.

I also knew Gavin Barwell and Lucy Frazer from the Union. (And I'm sure I know a few other MPs as well.)
This discussion has been closed.