Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi’s integrity problem – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    WillG said:

Leon said:

If all goes well, in about a year you will all learn what these people were doing in the Balearics because it will be in the news

Potentially it will be seriously headline news

Its the same thing people that do Davos every year. People with status getting a special glow from each other for being part of an exclusive, luxury event.
    Leon was there though.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,278
    Leon said:

I've just spent the weekend in Ibiza with a mad array of super intelligent people, from billionaire investors to maverick bohemian psychonauts to world famous real estate developers to UN policy wonks with too much money

They are ALL obsessed with AI. Everyone

Did you go clubbing with Stephen Armstrong?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/ibiza/clubbing-days-were-over-made-exception-for-ibiza/
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 708
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EWYemclKA

https://www.star.com.tr/video/canli.asp

https://www.yenisafak.com/en/secim-cumhurbaskanligi-2023-2-tur/secim-sonuclari

Ok so the polls have just closed and the count is underway at the polling stations (the televised count at one of them just now seemed to be entirely Erdogan votes).

Not expecting this to be anything other than a comfortable victory for the incumbent, 52% of the vote minimum I think and could easily be 54-55 or more.

So I hope some of you managed to fill your boots at the 3/1 that was on offer for Erdogan two weeks ago!

Many thanks,

DC

Thanks DC. I still miss the Election Game!
    Ah thanks Andy that is much appreciated!

36% counted, Erdogan 58% KK 42 although strangely this is only on the results site and not being reported on TV yet.

And in answer to your question I don't think anyone should be expecting Erdogan to lose, currently 1.06 on Betfair.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,560
    Leon said:

If all goes well, in about a year you will all learn what these people were doing in the Balearics because it will be in the news

Is it something to do with What.Three.Words?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,431
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Its the same thing people that do Davos every year. People with status getting a special glow from each other for being part of an exclusive, luxury event.
    No, it really isn't. There were Davos types there - I don't deny it - but the purpose was much more exciting and forensic than just waffling away about ecology and trade
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I've just spent the weekend in Ibiza with a mad array of super intelligent people, from billionaire investors to maverick bohemian psychonauts to world famous real estate developers to UN policy wonks with too much money

AI-wise, we're near the Peak of Inflated Expectations right now. Soon, we'll be in the Trough of Disillusionment.
    Others demur

"Elon Musk has warned that in the next two to three decades, artificial intelligence will change society so much that it will go beyond recognition. He also predicts that the development of artificial general intelligence (AGI) is not far away, possibly only three to six years"

https://twitter.com/LucySyarahlyana/status/1662791952402726912?s=20
    I said 10 years yesterday, and that's probably about right.

I've warned all my kids to be nice to the Nespresso machine, because in the future the machines will remember who cleaned and respected them, and those who cursed them.

I don't want to be on the wrong side of that divide.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,837
    Leon said:

We look forward to it being something that will make the lives of ordinary people better than they are now.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    On topic. Like SKS has loads of integrity.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    If Lukashenko dies what do you think would be Putin's response? Allow the exiled independent opposition to take over or support a pro Kremlin hardman?

One complication is that Putin now has less troops than before to support a new regime in Belarus.
  • Options

He does, he's a lawyer, he has oodles of it, it is part of the job.

He's also a former DPP, so even more integrity than a typical lawyer.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499

On which note:-

Labour faces calls to return £1.5m donation from major backer of Just Stop Oil
    Keir Starmer continues to take money from Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, despite UK entering the fifth week of disruption

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/05/28/labour-donation-dale-vince-just-stop-oil-15m/ (£££)

Basically, Labour is taking money from a guy who owns a lot of wind farms.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119

If Lukashenko dies what do you think would be Putin's response? Allow the exiled independent opposition to take over or support a pro Kremlin hardman?

One complication is that Putin now has less troops than before to support a new regime in Belarus.

If Lukashenko dies at the hands of Putin, it will hardly be because he wants to let pro-Western exiles take power in Belarus.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Leon said:

Is it something to do with What.Three.Words?
    Probably an API that connects your fridge to UberEats
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

AI-wise, we're near the Peak of Inflated Expectations right now. Soon, we'll be in the Trough of Disillusionment.
    Others demur

"Elon Musk has warned that in the next two to three decades, artificial intelligence will change society so much that it will go beyond recognition. He also predicts that the development of artificial general intelligence (AGI) is not far away, possibly only three to six years"

I said 10 years yesterday, and that's probably about right.

I've warned all my kids to be nice to the Nespresso machine, because in the future the machines will remember who cleaned and respected them, and those who cursed them.

I don't want to be on the wrong side of that divide.
    The consensus this weekend in the Balearics was 5-10 years, so not far from your estimate

There were people at either end with more extreme positions, ie It is already here, or It will never happen
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

No, it really isn't. There were Davos types there - I don't deny it - but the purpose was much more exciting and forensic than just waffling away about ecology and trade
    It's easy to mock you, and there's obviously an element of sour grapes, because I am sure it was far more glamorous than most other peoples' weekends. However, I must say it does all just sound a little sad. Anyway, glad you're there to report back to us, and that you're enjoying it.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,564
    Everton lose.
    Leeds win.

If the Tories could arrange that please, I'd consider voting for them (and then decide not to).
  • Options

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

It's easy to mock you, and there's obviously an element of sour grapes, because I am sure it was far more glamorous than most other peoples' weekends. However, I must say it does all just sound a little sad. Anyway, glad you're there to report back to us, and that you're enjoying it.
    I genuinely wish I could tell you the purpose of the gathering. It is the opposite of "sad". It is one of the most compelling, uplifting and intriguing endeavours I have ever encountered. It is absolutely extraordinary. A proper mind fuck. Off the dial

But I can't tell you for multiple reasons and so I will have to allow your opinions to go unchallenged. Hopefully some time in the next 6-18 months I will be able to say: Yeah, that was it, that's the Thing

If it all fails, I shall just pretend I never said any of this

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Everton lose.
    Leeds win.

If the Tories could arrange that please, I'd consider voting for them (and then decide not to).

They're doing a pretty good job of sending the Blues to defeat already.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Everton lose.
    Leeds win.

Dirty Leeds already losing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Everton lose.
    Leeds win.

And Leeds doing it for themselves.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

I genuinely wish I could tell you the purpose of the gathering. It is the opposite of "sad". It is one of the most compelling, uplifting and intriguing endeavours I have ever encountered. It is absolutely extraordinary. A proper mind fuck. Off the dial

But I can't tell you for multiple reasons and so I will have to allow your opinions to go unchallenged. Hopefully some time in the next 6-18 months I will be able to say: Yeah, that was it, that's the Thing

Why can't you tell us? Are you working for MI5 now? And re your other post how is it forensic?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Why can't you tell us? Are you working for MI5 now? And re your other post how is it forensic?
    Because I've agreed to stay shtoom (as have others) - that's part of the price for joining the endeavour

It is the single most interesting project I have ever been engaged with, by some margin. It leads to hair-raising conversations in taxis across Majorca, where world changing stuff is casually discussed
  • Options

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Oh I don't know, I nearly saw a fight break out between a ukulele band and the Punch and Judy act who were drowning each other out.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,280
    kjh said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Oh I don't know, I nearly saw a fight break out between a ukulele band and the Punch and Judy act who were drowning each other out.
    That’s the way to do it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Because I've agreed to stay shtoom (as have others) - that's part of the price for joining the endeavour

It is the single most interesting project I have ever been engaged with, by some margin. It leads to hair-raising conversations in taxis across Majorca, where world changing stuff is casually discussed
    These taxi drivers - were they Albanians by any chance?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

So we need to ask a taxi driver then?
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 708
    edited May 2023
    Well if anyone else thinks "this race is very tight" as per the BBC, feel free to grab KK on Betfair at 17.5.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Not when they are self driving

HINT
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

AI seems like Leon’s flint dildos. An interesting concept that will never be as much fun as the real thing.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    A bunch of wealthy middle aged men get together at an exclusive island resort.

I have no idea what they might have been getting up to...
  • Options

A bunch of wealthy middle aged men get together at an exclusive island resort.

I have no idea what they might have been getting up to...

You don’t hear much about syphilis these days. Very much the Myspace of STDs.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Deleted
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT
    Well if that is it I don't think that is far off. I was gobsmaked by what my new car can do. I can park it while not in the car and it self steers while doing so.. It brakes if it detects a possible collision in front or if I pull out into traffic. It corrects the steering (which is annoying). I can give it verbal commands, eg open the boot. Etc. I mean that isn't far off is it?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

Mind blowing stat.

Spurs fans may laugh that Arsenal spent a record 248 days at the top of the league this season without winning it. Spurs have spent a total of 135 days at the top of the league since 1964 and not won it. That’s funnier.

https://twitter.com/P_h_i_1/status/1661290072547770369

People make the fundamental mistake of assuming Spurs is a football team. It’s not. It’s a highly profitable business.

They have figured out that coming 4/5 and qualifying for Europe offers the highest return on capital (especially when combined with effective scouting and talent spotting in the lower leagues). The alternative is trying to outspend someone like Man City - with richer owners who don’t care about financial returns - that’s a fool’s errand
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT
    Well if that is it I don't think that is far off. I was gobsmaked by what my new car can do. I can park it while not in the car and it self steers while doing so.. It brakes if it detects a possible collision in front of if I pull out into traffic. It corrects the steering (which is annoying). I can give it verbal commands, eg open the boot. Etc. I mean that isn't far off is it?
    Take that and read across to......

GAH

I really can't say. It is bigger than that. Is all

I accept that this all sounds like delusional wank so I will shut up
  • Options
    The AfD are approaching second place in the German polls.

• Options

Well if anyone else thinks "this race is very tight" as per the BBC, feel free to grab KK on Betfair at 17.5.

That's typical Beeb. They pretend things are close and exciting when they aren't. They do it every year with the boat race. Erdogan has clearly 'got the water' here and it's all over even though we haven't yet passed the Harrods Book Depository.
  • Options
    Fwiw, Neuralink is likely to face a massive amount of heat for their treatment of animals. I'm not a squeemish person, but Some of the stories about the treatment of monkeys in experiments are jaw dropping awful.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,539
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Elon Musk is a hype man, a phony of astral depth, a 20 foot glitter turd.
    All true. But Musk is also someone who knows how to solve complex technical and industrial challenges to create useful and desirable products. That combination of hype and technical expertise is very rare and is what is behind the success of Tesla and SpaceX.
    There's a really weird type of person who genuinely believes Musk is a fraud and devoid of true imagination: a charlatan. A lucky snake oil salesman. I've seen people on Twitter arguing that he is really quite stupid

It is bizarre. Has he made terrible errors? And encountered disasters? Of course he has, he's a risk taker. An entrepreneur. But the idea he is dim is sensationally dim in itself

Musk said Neuralink tech would hit the market in 2021. He said the world would be sleeping in their self driving cars by 2019. In 2014 he said there would be seriously dangerous AGI in five years. The guy clearly has talent in identifying the right startups to back, and in self publicity, but he is also a frequently wrong blowhard.
    You back 100 horses you're bound to get some winners.

He's managed more success than simply backing a few right horses, I don't think anyone says he is completely stupid, but even before buying it twitter was very bad for his reputation, since it's shown he frequently engages in low grade trolling and inflated assumptions of his own understanding of things and situations, and has incredibly thin skin about it - which is just petty. You're rich enough to not give a shit, no need for pettiness.
    It's the old VC con, too. Back 15 things (with other people's money). Get 1 hit. Get people to put more money in at increased valuation. Declare a mega-hit. Rinse and repeat.

You literally discount the failures and artificially ratchet the successes. It's worked well for 40 years, but it is already starting to creak.

They won't care; that generation of the megawealthy is well insulated against failure.
    Interesting that you think that VC is the problem.

VC is people trying to find the next Big Thing with their own money. Which they risk.

And yet I've had people trying to claim that VC was responsible for 2008. Or is, what is actually chop shop version of hedge funds.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

One thought that does occur to me about Starmer is pretty much every other soft left wing European party seems to be either on the defensive or actively imploding with its votes haemorrhaging off to other parties, as we see here with the SPD. Labour isn't.

Sure, it may have been lucky the obvious alternatives in the LDs and SNP decided to self-immolate in spectacular fashion. But it's still an interesting bucking of the general trend.

And it's not so long ago that Labour were part of it, as well.
  • Options

Let's remember that Rishi was in Johnson's Cabinet from the beginning until vanishingly close to the end.

Given that track record, what's the evidence that he can notice lack of integrity, unprofessionalism or unaccountability, let alone be able to do anything about them?

He was happy at both Goldman and TCIF. That speaks volumes about his integrity
  • Options

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

All true. But Musk is also someone who knows how to solve complex technical and industrial challenges to create useful and desirable products. That combination of hype and technical expertise is very rare and is what is behind the success of Tesla and SpaceX.
    There's a really weird type of person who genuinely believes Musk is a fraud and devoid of true imagination: a charlatan. A lucky snake oil salesman. I've seen people on Twitter arguing that he is really quite stupid

It is bizarre. Has he made terrible errors? And encountered disasters? Of course he has, he's a risk taker. An entrepreneur. But the idea he is dim is sensationally dim in itself

Musk said Neuralink tech would hit the market in 2021. He said the world would be sleeping in their self driving cars by 2019. In 2014 he said there would be seriously dangerous AGI in five years. The guy clearly has talent in identifying the right startups to back, and in self publicity, but he is also a frequently wrong blowhard.

He's managed more success than simply backing a few right horses, I don't think anyone says he is completely stupid, but even before buying it twitter was very bad for his reputation, since it's shown he frequently engages in low grade trolling and inflated assumptions of his own understanding of things and situations, and has incredibly thin skin about it - which is just petty. You're rich enough to not give a shit, no need for pettiness.
    It's the old VC con, too. Back 15 things (with other people's money). Get 1 hit. Get people to put more money in at increased valuation. Declare a mega-hit. Rinse and repeat.

You literally discount the failures and artificially ratchet the successes. It's worked well for 40 years, but it is already starting to creak.

They won't care; that generation of the megawealthy is well insulated against failure.

VC is people trying to find the next Big Thing with their own money. Which they risk.

And yet I've had people trying to claim that VC was responsible for 2008. Or is, what is actually chop shop version of hedge funds.
    The problem with the VC world is that either everything is getting funded, or nothing is getting funded. It would be nice if it could instead be some happy medium.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,200

Seek help
  • Options

Let's remember that Rishi was in Johnson's Cabinet from the beginning until vanishingly close to the end.

Given that track record, what's the evidence that he can notice lack of integrity, unprofessionalism or unaccountability, let alone be able to do anything about them?

What? Happy *all* the time?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

The problem with the VC world is that either everything is getting funded, or nothing is getting funded. It would be nice if it could instead be some happy medium.
    It's certainly better than the situation in the UK - where if you are starting a company, the banks will offer you a tiny amount of money. At credit card rates.

I recall after 2008, some banks tried to lobby Washington to basically freeze individuals out of VC - they were upset that VC investors were offering people better terms to invest, when they (the banks) desperately needed new markets....
  • Options
    Heathener said:

felix said:

And Starmer stuck with Corbyn right till the end......
    I'm less vexed about this than other things about Keir Starmer. I can see the point of working inside a cabinet or shadow cabinet to try and moderate it. I don't have a problem with that.

I dislike Jeremy Corbyn's views on many issues but lack of integrity, flagrant dishonesty, and lying aren't his hallmarks. Which they are of the Conservative reprobates TSE wrote about.
    4 legs good, 2 legs bad
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Off topic, what I was doing yesterday...

https://twitter.com/retrorailtours/status/1662738260139950080?t=Yf384ntpwLX3RtiBKgvh9w&s=19

A manually driven Hoover beats a self driving car!
  • Options
    ping said:

This makes me more and more angry.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/drugs-kingpin-who-planned-flood-26999629

Unless it’s a cover to protect other sources, why did it take the french and dutch police to catch him out, before the British police bought him to justice?

There should be fucking riots on the streets about this. The conservatives did this to us. How fucking dare they?

I enabled this man, with my Tory vote back in 2012. I won’t make the same mistake again.

The article says that it makes no suggestion his mother was aware of her son’s criminal activities. What is your reason for blaming the Tories for the failure of the police?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT
    Well if that is it I don't think that is far off. I was gobsmaked by what my new car can do. I can park it while not in the car and it self steers while doing so.. It brakes if it detects a possible collision in front of if I pull out into traffic. It corrects the steering (which is annoying). I can give it verbal commands, eg open the boot. Etc. I mean that isn't far off is it?

GAH

Yes, probably best because it sounds like you've been entrusted with something huge.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499

Off topic, what I was doing yesterday...

https://twitter.com/retrorailtours/status/1662738260139950080?t=Yf384ntpwLX3RtiBKgvh9w&s=19

A manually driven Hoover beats a self driving car!

Would you recommend it, and for whom?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,295

Keir Starmer continues to take money from Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, despite UK entering the fifth week of disruption

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/05/28/labour-donation-dale-vince-just-stop-oil-15m/ (£££)

And Forest Green Rovers!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I'll be interesting to see where all this goes when someone kills himself or a member of his family because ChatGPT told him that drinking bleach, antifreeze and honey cures toothache. Tragic, but something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.
    Think that ChatGPT stole THAT prescription from Donald Trump?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT

GAH

Yes, probably best because it sounds like you've been entrusted with something huge.
    Thanks. At least SOMEONE understands

Imagine if you were privy to a secret which could change your lifelong world of chartered accountancy forever, you’d be bursting to tell everyone

But you’ve sworn to keep it under wraps. Painful
  • Options

And Forest Green Rovers!
    What sort of lunatic would buy Forest Green Rovers?
  • Options

Heathener said:

felix said:

And Starmer stuck with Corbyn right till the end......
    I'm less vexed about this than other things about Keir Starmer. I can see the point of working inside a cabinet or shadow cabinet to try and moderate it. I don't have a problem with that.

I dislike Jeremy Corbyn's views on many issues but lack of integrity, flagrant dishonesty, and lying aren't his hallmarks. Which they are of the Conservative reprobates TSE wrote about.
    4 legs good, 2 legs bad
    I have read Animal Farm several times. Nonetheless I don't have a Scooby Doo as to what that post is telling me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?
    My eyebrows were raised higher on the notion of "world famous" estate agents.

It sounds like the dinner party from Hell. Estate Agents, the drug addled, political SPADS, a playboy and a right-wing jobbing hack. Imagine the aroma of BS.
    It wasn’t a dinner party. It was a weekend

At one point we all went to a secret music gig in an enchanted dell where you could have mind altering cacao drinks and gawp at the billlonaire heiresses

They don’t really look like they are enjoying themselves

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327

ping said:

This makes me more and more angry.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/drugs-kingpin-who-planned-flood-26999629

Unless it’s a cover to protect other sources, why did it take the french and dutch police to catch him out, before the British police bought him to justice?

There should be fucking riots on the streets about this. The conservatives did this to us. How fucking dare they?

I enabled this man, with my Tory vote back in 2012. I won’t make the same mistake again.

The article says that it makes no suggestion his mother was aware of her son’s criminal activities. What is your reason for blaming the Tories for the failure of the police?
    He's making the not unreasonable assumption that Mum is likely to have known something.

Not sure where the connection with the Tories comes from though. Seems to me the malaise in the Police Force goes back more than thirteen years and has structural origins that appear to be beyond all Parties.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?

It sounds like the dinner party from Hell. Estate Agents, the drug addled, political SPADS, a playboy and a right-wing jobbing hack. Imagine the aroma of BS.

At one point we all went to a secret music gig in an enchanted dell where you could have mind altering cacao drinks and gawp at the billlonaire heiresses

Did this all happened after the pyschonaut got his gear out?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,777
    Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Not down from the high yet ?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

The solution is probably to let him have more money and power, and stop interferring with his businesses I bet.
    It is hard to place too much credibility in Elon Musk given the number of wrong predictions he has made to date and recent events has shown him to have wildly poor judgment.
    it doesn't really matter whether you believe Musk or not

The fact is - as my experience in Ibiza revealed - people who are paid to think and make predictions about this stuff, or people who have so much money they can influence or benefit from this stuff, to people who are free thinking weirdos with massive Twitter followings, are all OBSESSED with AI

It was like being parachuted into my intellectual home. My kind of dudes. AI, AI, AI - then some more excellent wine - then back to AI
    You haven't told us why they're obsessed with AI.
    They can now personalise their anime smut with the click of a button?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    rcs1000 said:

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

It's not private money that is the problem, of course. It is the way investments and valuations are leveraged to keep the money-go-round going which is not well aligned with the creation and sustainability of great businesses.
  • Options
    This is bloody horrible.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

I didn't say he's dim. I said he's a 20ft glitter turd. Glitter turds are really the opposite of dim. They are bright and alluring and very very shiny. And they are turds.
    Bill Gates the Lesser (III not Jr) is a prime example IMHO.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

The French are wankers.

Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk said "people should be embarrassed" after she was booed off court following her first-round defeat by Aryna Sabalenka at the French Open.

Kostyuk avoided shaking hands with second seed Sabalenka after the Belarusian's 6-3 6-2 win.

Belarus is an ally of Russia and allowed troops to use its territory to launch last year's invasion of Ukraine.

Sabalenka said Kostyuk "didn't deserve to leave the court that way".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/65738855

Why didn't she shake Sabalenka's hand? It's not her fault what Belarus is doing.
    It was performative on her part, to be sure, but deserving of being booed?
    Unless Sabalenka is in some way culpable or supportive of this injustice, then yes. Refusing to shake someone's hand because their government has done something wrong (if this is in fact the case) merits a hearty boo.
    In that spirit, and with the risk I'll need to retract if Sabalenka has indeed been saying some upsetting things, I'll join in: boooo, Kostyuk. Boooo.
    I thought you were in favour of the right to peaceful protest?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This is bloody horrible.

Who will be the Barry Horne de nos jours?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

The solution is probably to let him have more money and power, and stop interferring with his businesses I bet.
    It is hard to place too much credibility in Elon Musk given the number of wrong predictions he has made to date and recent events has shown him to have wildly poor judgment.

The fact is - as my experience in Ibiza revealed - people who are paid to think and make predictions about this stuff, or people who have so much money they can influence or benefit from this stuff, to people who are free thinking weirdos with massive Twitter followings, are all OBSESSED with AI

It was like being parachuted into my intellectual home. My kind of dudes. AI, AI, AI - then some more excellent wine - then back to AI
    Because they all think it is about to transform human society in multiple ways. Some are excited and optimistic, some are excited and pessimistic. But they are all excited and obsessed
    I admit I have a mix of 'whoa - cool.' and 'dear god, stop' when I see things like this being published :

https://twitter.com/ZijiaoC/status/1660470518569639937

"🧵🧠 We're witnessing incredible scientific progress in image & text reconstruction from fMRI nowadays. But what about reconstructing video from fMRI? Allow me to introduce our recent preprint: Mind-Video "
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT

GAH

Imagine if you were privy to a secret which could change your lifelong world of chartered accountancy forever, you’d be bursting to tell everyone

These elite people let you wander round with a camera taking snaps of them?

I'm surprised.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,777
    edited May 2023
    kjh said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

I went to a performance of Missa Solemnis.
    Not dissimilar to Leon's experience (and perhaps yours), as it's very loud, and more than a little bit mad.

Not all that often performed these days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

One thought that does occur to me about Starmer is pretty much every other soft left wing European party seems to be either on the defensive or actively imploding with its votes haemorrhaging off to other parties, as we see here with the SPD. Labour isn't.

Sure, it may have been lucky the obvious alternatives in the LDs and SNP decided to self-immolate in spectacular fashion. But it's still an interesting bucking of the general trend.

And it's not so long ago that Labour were part of it, as well.
    Labour were in pole position as far as exploding left of centre organisations were concerned. I am old enough to remember December 2019.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?

"Leons travelogues will continue until morale improves!"
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT

GAH

I'm surprised.
    Perhaps they're not up to scratch with the latest technology - cameras in mobile telephones and all that.
  • Options
    Creeping fascism latest: Extinction Rebellion protest ends with 1,500 arrested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65735289

Extinction Rebellion accused police of using water cannon just 15 minutes after the start of the blockade - but police said they had asked the activists to leave and gave them a chance to do so before using the water cannon.
    The 1,579 people who refused to leave were then arrested.
  • Options
    Ominous for Trump?

Trump issues an urgent demand yesterday not to impeach Ken Paxton, which was read on the Floor by a Member before the vote, and virtually the entire Texas Republican House just ignored him.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1662847462476750850
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    Ok, I’ll shut up. I don’t know any more than what the media have published.

All I’m saying is, I’ll think very carefully, next time I go to the ballot box.

Lesson learnt.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?

That was the beginning when we all had to meditate. It was quite woowoo and dull tbh

But then the mood changed and the beat made everyone dance, yes even the sad middle aged men. And it was surprisingly enjoyable - and trippy

These concerts are secret and sell out in an hour. Word of mouth. Also ridiculously expensive

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    dixiedean said:

This is bloody horrible.

I get the feeling this is not going to be Everton in the 46th then a canter home, but I think you perhaps remain marginal favourites.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone expect Erdogan to lose tonight?

A few weeks ago I did. But not now.

I was in Istanbul in January and there were high hopes after a sustained period of hyper-inflation and his pathetic response to the earthquake that Erdogan was finished. Oh well.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?

That was the beginning when we all had to meditate. It was quite woowoo and dull tbh

But then the mood changed and the beat made everyone dance, yes even the sad middle aged men. And it was surprisingly enjoyable - and trippy

These concerts are secret and sell out in an hour. Word of mouth. Also ridiculously expensive

You're a honeytrap waiting to happen.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    If anyone thought the Monaco GP was boring, there now follows three hours of American cars turning only left.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Because they all think it is about to transform human society in multiple ways. Some are excited and optimistic, some are excited and pessimistic. But they are all excited and obsessed
    I admit I have a mix of 'whoa - cool.' and 'dear god, stop' when I see things like this being published :

"🧵🧠 We're witnessing incredible scientific progress in image & text reconstruction from fMRI nowadays. But what about reconstructing video from fMRI? Allow me to introduce our recent preprint: Mind-Video "
    Jeez. They are making those videos by scanning brains?!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT

GAH

Indeed. If there was a secret I wanted to keep I’d certainly entrust it to a travel journalist whose main hobbies include drinking and posting on a political message board.
    Have I revealed anything? Nope
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Do you mean the fight happened and you nearly saw it? Or no fight actually happened, it just got close?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

If anyone thought the Monaco GP was boring, there now follows three hours of American cars turning only left.

I thought with American cars, the correct procedure was, on encountering a corner -

1) Stop
    2) Abandon the car
    3) Walk round the corner
    4) Find a car dealer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Yeah - train the model for 24hrs before hand on the person in question. Then reconstruct away to their hearts content 'live' from the signals in their visual cortex from the fMRI scanner.

Not sure how much training they'll need to get a more universal model. Or if we'll find out that everyone is actually unique (which might be more interesting).
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    Sandpit said:

You wouldn't dare suggest to those fellows that they're like a one legged army, though.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Sandpit said:

I actually enjoyed the GP. And I've come to appreciate the 500 for what it is.

But maybe I just need to get out a bit more...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Sandpit said:

I thought with American cars, the correct procedure was, on encountering a corner -

1) Stop
    2) Abandon the car
    3) Walk round the corner
    4) Find a car dealer.
    Manual gear change surely???? ;)
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Yeah - train the model for 24hrs before hand on the person in question. Then reconstruct away to their hearts content 'live' from the signals in their visual cortex from the fMRI scanner.

Not sure how much training they'll need to get a more universal model. Or if we'll find out that everyone is actually unique (which might be more interesting).
    This is a plot device - IIRC - of “Quatermass and the Pit” - scanning brains and turning thoughts into images and videos

At the time I watched it, this was one of the most far fetched elements in a very speculative movie. Yet now: here it is

We are living at an incredible moment when sci-fi becomes real in multiple ways
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

HINT

GAH

I'm surprised.
    Perhaps they're not up to scratch with the latest technology - cameras in mobile telephones and all that.
    I'm not doubting Leon's word, it's just that in my limited experience people of the type he describes tend to be a bit camera-shy, especially when at public gatherings.

The meditation bit sounds a bit flaky though. Begins to sound like a Scientology induction meeting.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What? Happy *all* the time?
    Probably grumpy once a year, and I’d imagine he was sleepy quite a lot as well
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

I actually enjoyed the GP. And I've come to appreciate the 500 for what it is.

But maybe I just need to get out a bit more...
    Yes, the rain made Monaco not a bad event. Indy 500 is a very different type of race, but also very much a classic.
  • Options
    I'm still sticking to my prediction that David Moyes will save Everton today.
  • Options

I'm still sticking to my prediction that David Moyes will save Everton today.

Turns out they don't need him.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    On topic:

Boris over-promised and never delivered.

Rishi over-promises and under-delievers.

Rishi was acceptable to Boris.

∴ Rishi is merely Boris-lite and somewhat less rubbish. Still no prize....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,926
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

You give far too much credibility to people with status. Most of them just repeat what they hear from each other until they fall for the human bias to utterly believe something you hear from three sources you trust.
    This is unfortunately true. Our Blessed Author Of Many Names believes things that rich high people tell him at parties. Which is worrying.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    viewcode said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

You give far too much credibility to people with status. Most of them just repeat what they hear from each other until they fall for the human bias to utterly believe something you hear from three sources you trust.
    This is unfortunately true. Our Blessed Author Of Many Names believes things that rich high people tell him at parties. Which is worrying.
    At least I get to go to the parties
  • Options

Sandpit said:

1) Stop
    2) Abandon the car
    3) Walk round the corner
    4) Find a car dealer.
    Manual gear change surely???? ;)
    If you are in one of those science fiction movies where American cars go round corners, and you are high on nitrous, then you change up to 37th gear in the process...
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Everton surviving. Boring
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

This is a plot device - IIRC - of “Quatermass and the Pit” - scanning brains and turning thoughts into images and videos

At the time I watched it, this was one of the most far fetched elements in a very speculative movie. Yet now: here it is

We are living at an incredible moment when sci-fi becomes real in multiple ways
    If you've not seen it there's a 90s film by Wim Wenders that explores a lot of the issues (and takes a rather darker turn towards the end).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Until_the_End_of_the_World

This discussion has been closed.