Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi’s integrity problem – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2023 in General
Rishi’s integrity problem – politicalbetting.com

Do Britons think Rishi Sunak has been successful in ensuring the govt has "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level"?All BritonsSuccessful: 24%Unsuccessful: 58%Con votersSuccessful: 40%Unsuccessful: 47%Lab votersSuccessful: 11%Unsuccessful: 79% https://t.co/pcz0phnQUl

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    So I'm on Leicester and Dirty Leeds to get relegated today, tell me why I am wrong?
  • Options
    Mind blowing stat.

Spurs fans may laugh that Arsenal spent a record 248 days at the top of the league this season without winning it. Spurs have spent a total of 135 days at the top of the league since 1964 and not won it. That’s funnier.

https://twitter.com/P_h_i_1/status/1661290072547770369
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Oh Kylie Minogue, I used to love you and your music.

Now you're on my enemies list.

You dissing my girl, @TSE? What has occurred to cause such a flaw to pass your lips?
    She's at the Monaco grand prix and Martin Brundle just interviewed her and she's admitted that she will be cheering for Max Verstappen.
    She’s a guest of Red Bull, so what else was she going to say?

If Max is going to have a singer dressed in white draped over his car, I’m sure he’d take Kylie over Geri any day.
    She could have said she was backing Checo Pérez.

Backing the Dutch shunt is unforgivable in my eyes.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    A bit unfair on Sunak given what his predecessors were like.

Seems the Tory Augean stable is more than he can handle. Sunak is no Hercules.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,111

FPT

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

Oh Kylie Minogue, I used to love you and your music.

Now you're on my enemies list.

You dissing my girl, @TSE? What has occurred to cause such a flaw to pass your lips?
    She's at the Monaco grand prix and Martin Brundle just interviewed her and she's admitted that she will be cheering for Max Verstappen.
    She’s a guest of Red Bull, so what else was she going to say?

If Max is going to have a singer dressed in white draped over his car, I’m sure he’d take Kylie over Geri any day.
    She could have said she was backing Checo Pérez.

Backing the Dutch shunt is unforgivable in my eyes.
    Thank God it was only backing Vercrashen.

I thought for a terrible moment she'd been seen eating a pizza with pineapple on it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

His best chance is to Poirot Johnson's line?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

So I'm on Leicester and Dirty Leeds to get relegated today, tell me why I am wrong?

I can see Leicester beating West Ham so it just needs Everton not to win at home and the Toffees will go down on goal difference.

7/2 Leicester to avoid the drop with Paddy is where the Stodge tenner has been placed.

Of much greater importance is the Tattersalls Gold Cup at The Curragh. I've backed LUXEMBOURG at 4s against BAY BRIDGE and VADENI .
  • Options
    Could the Red Bull power unit do something entertaining like blow up?

Thanks about the only way we could see an interesting race.

Meanwhile, Alonso must be having enormous fun pointing and laughing at Alpine who thought he didn't have much left in his tank.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    stodge said:

I can see Leicester beating West Ham so it just needs Everton not to win at home and the Toffees will go down on goal difference.

7/2 Leicester to avoid the drop with Paddy is where the Stodge tenner has been placed.

Of much greater importance is the Tattersalls Gold Cup at The Curragh. I've backed LUXEMBOURG at 4s against BAY BRIDGE and VADENI .
    Is that on TV?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    viewcode said:

For all those of you who don't speak @Dura_Ace , the "Charlie G" is the Carl Gustav recoilless rifle (a tube with a complex bit at one end. Fires small shells, not big bullets. Don't stand behind one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97H7jkLm7rE

I've never even fucking seen one. British forces stopped using them in the 80s.

The MILAN was the anti-armour weapon of choice for the suicidally brave in Basra. Very effective against Toyota Crown taxis.
  • Options
    Sainz does want Sainz does best.

Gosh, this is a boring race where a minor touch is the height of drama.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,114

Mind blowing stat.

Spurs fans may laugh that Arsenal spent a record 248 days at the top of the league this season without winning it. Spurs have spent a total of 135 days at the top of the league since 1964 and not won it. That’s funnier.

https://twitter.com/P_h_i_1/status/1661290072547770369

One ex-friend Spurs fan who kept taking the piss out of Ipswich. He literally didn’t believe me when I pointed out we had won the league more recently than them. The most ridiculous fans in football
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    With people like @TSE being this honest, the Conservative Party still has a future.

It won't happen until after their impending and crushing defeat, but they will eventually return to the middle and to integrity ... and with those two, to power.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    Let's remember that Rishi was in Johnson's Cabinet from the beginning until vanishingly close to the end.

Given that track record, what's the evidence that he can notice lack of integrity, unprofessionalism or unaccountability, let alone be able to do anything about them?
  • Options
    110,000 people expected inside the stadium to watch the IPL final which starts in half an hour.

Quite the afternoon for sport.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Let's remember that Rishi was in Johnson's Cabinet from the beginning until vanishingly close to the end.

Given that track record, what's the evidence that he can notice lack of integrity, unprofessionalism or unaccountability, let alone be able to do anything about them?

And Starmer stuck with Corbyn right till the end......
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208

well he did resign about a year ago and give the tories a chance to move on from Johnson.
    however since then he's just been wrestling in mud with the loons he appointed to his cabinet because he got beaten to the party leadership by *THE WORST PM EVER"
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    I've just spent the weekend in Ibiza with a mad array of super intelligent people, from billionaire investors to maverick bohemian psychonauts to world famous real estate developers to UN policy wonks with too much money

They are ALL obsessed with AI. Everyone
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    He started pretty badly on the integrity front when reappointing Braverman. Call it political necessity if we must (though I question whether it was necessary to give her the exact same position she'd just quit from), but it very quickly showed the talk of integrity to be mere words. Of course we might naturally assume such a thing, but being so immediately proven did not help.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    felix said:

I'm less vexed about this than other things about Keir Starmer. I can see the point of working inside a cabinet or shadow cabinet to try and moderate it. I don't have a problem with that.

I dislike Jeremy Corbyn's views on many issues but lack of integrity, flagrant dishonesty, and lying aren't his hallmarks. Which they are of the Conservative reprobates TSE wrote about.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    FF43 said:

'What his predecessors were like' is clearly going to run for as long as 'the financial mismanagement of the last Labour Government' did under a succession of Tory leaders. Sunak was himself fined for partygate. There are questions over Sunak's own hedge fund and whether it has benefitted from his actions as Chancellor and PM. Sunak appointed Williamson and Zahawi, and the former was his leadership campaign manager - an extremely dirty player, to say the least. Sunak undermined the last leader by constant leaks, and his people continue to leak remorselessly against his perceived opponents, even within the Cabinet. This is a nasty Government that enforces such 'discipline' as it can muster through leak and stitch up. Sunak owns this, and it's about time his fans stopped trying to portray him as little Bo Peep.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,062
    Heathener said:

felix said:

I'm less vexed about this than other things about Keir Starmer. I can see the point of working inside a cabinet or shadow cabinet to try and moderate it. I don't have a problem with that.

I dislike Jeremy Corbyn's views on many issues but lack of integrity, flagrant dishonesty, and lying aren't his hallmarks. Which they are of the Conservative reprobates TSE wrote about.
    Oh come on Heathener, Corbyn was as disloyal to Blair's Governments as it was possible to get. His integrity and loyalty towards Luciana Berger was somewhat lacking too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Does anyone in the universe hate Keir Starmer, really?

He's too boring to hate.

I'd say he's hated by some people from 2 specific groups. The Hard Corbynite Left and the Antiwokest Nationalistic Right.
    The same groups are also not very keen on Sunak either, hence it is likely both the Green and RefUK voteshares will be up at the next general election
    Perhaps so. It's an odd one really. The left are more anti-Starmer than anti-Sunak and vice versa with the right. The first I at least understand a little bit. Starmer did con the left to get the leadership and now he's scrubbing them like they're a rash. The other I find harder to comprehend. Sunak is a right wing tory and a Brexit true believer. So why the hatred of him from the right? Is it because they think he brought down the beloved Boris in some sort of devious 'unBritish' way? And/or something to do with being a spoilsport instead of backing Liz? Answers on a postcard.
    Sunak is too pro high tax and spend, not hard Brexit enough (see his NI deal), not tough on immigration enough, was too pro lockdown and vaccine during Covid and not anti Woke enough for the hard Right
    All of those examples are hilarious to me given

1) Boris was pro high tax and spend (yes yes, we're to believe he had a damascene conversion right before he was ousted and since then), indeed opening the spending taps was a key part of his message, and we weren't about to be able to do that without taxes.
    2) Rishi was pro hard Brexit and even Boris and his fans acknowledge the previous deal was bad and needed fixing, so it's a rather trivial argument about how you fix it rather than being hard enough
    3) He's very vocally tough on immigration, but ineffective in delivering - putting him on par with most Tory leaders in modern times
    4) As far back as March 2021 there were reports Sunak was more anti-lockdown than others in Cabinet
    5) I don't even know who is anti-vaccine in the Tory right other than fellow travellers of Bridgen
    6) How is he pro-woke?

Sunak's moderate to mediocre much of the time, he has no vision and is too weak to even try most things, but the idea the hard right are judging him negatively on the basis you list is very amusing, given who they support instead.
  • Options

Heathener said:

felix said:

Oh come on Heathener, Corbyn was as disloyal to Blair's Governments as it was possible to get. His integrity and loyalty towards Luciana Berger was somewhat lacking too.
    He was honest about being disloyal of course.

The integrity point is more complicated, as much like when someone is described more generally as principled whether that is a positive or not rather depends on what their principles are. Having personal integrity is all very well and good unless it leads you to do terrible things or stubbornly overlook terrible things.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Rishi Sunak would be a better PM were it not for the dead weight of the Conservative Party he's handcuffed to.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've just spent the weekend in Ibiza with a mad array of super intelligent people, from billionaire investors to maverick bohemian psychonauts to world famous real estate developers to UN policy wonks with too much money

AI-wise, we're near the Peak of Inflated Expectations right now. Soon, we'll be in the Trough of Disillusionment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Monaco in general wouldn't be invented if it didn't exist, would it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Rishi Sunak would be a better PM were it not for the dead weight of the Conservative Party he's handcuffed to.

A managerial, technical kind of PM is probably the best thing for a country in good times. It's the sort of approach I generally like. But these are far from good times.

The difficulty is we have so many major problems you probably do need a Truss level kind of boldness or unconventionalness, as luckyguy would probably argue, in order to address those problems. That comes with massive risks of making things even worse than they already were, as the Truss we got demonstrated, as luckyguy would probably not argue.

As it is he was the best they could manage in the cirumstances. Much as Boris would not have been the right figure to fight 2015, or Cameron 2019, Sunak's approach and style might have been better suited for a party and country not on its knees, but of course he only got the gig because it was that way.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    This makes me more and more angry.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/drugs-kingpin-who-planned-flood-26999629

Unless it’s a cover to protect other sources, why did it take the french and dutch police to catch him out, before the British police bought him to justice?

There should be fucking riots on the streets about this. The conservatives did this to us. How fucking dare they?

I enabled this man, with my Tory vote back in 2012. I won’t make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

AI-wise, we're near the Peak of Inflated Expectations right now. Soon, we'll be in the Trough of Disillusionment.
    Others demur

"Elon Musk has warned that in the next two to three decades, artificial intelligence will change society so much that it will go beyond recognition. He also predicts that the development of artificial general intelligence (AGI) is not far away, possibly only three to six years"

https://twitter.com/LucySyarahlyana/status/1662791952402726912?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

A managerial, technical kind of PM is probably the best thing for a country in good times. It's the sort of approach I generally like. But these are far from good times.

The difficulty is we have so many major problems you probably do need a Truss level kind of boldness or unconventionalness, as luckyguy would probably argue, in order to address those problems. That comes with massive risks of making things even worse than they already were, as the Truss we got demonstrated, as luckyguy would probably not argue.

As it is he was the best they could manage in the cirumstances. Much as Boris would not have been the right figure to fight 2015, or Cameron 2019, Sunak's approach and style might have been better suited for a party and country not on its knees, but of course he only got the gig because it was that way.
    Perhaps. But the kind of radicalism being proposed by those people who are making Sunak's life more difficult... that's not what we need right now. Or, indeed, ever.

I'm not taking a view on whether Rishi counts as a good or a bad PM, just on the things that are holding him back. I also think he has personal limitations, but who doesn't?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,248
    edited May 2023
    stodge said:

Good call on Luxembourg. Don't spend it all at once.
  • Options
    ping said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/drugs-kingpin-who-planned-flood-26999629

Unless it’s a cover to protect other sources, why did it take the french and dutch police to catch him out, before the British police bought him to justice?

Hiding in plain sight.

Wasn't it the French and Dutch police who broke into Encrochat, the villain's whatsapp?
  • Options
    So how much will Erdogan will by today? Knowing very little about the race I'd assume the opposition canidate underperforming in the first round, such that Erdogan very nearly won outright, will have sapped morale somewhat, on top of any other issues.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?
    "Psychonauts by Mike Jay review – the drug-takers who changed history
    Humphry Davy on laughing gas, Sigmund Freud on cocaine … how self-experimentation shaped science and art"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/may/10/psychonauts-by-mike-jay-review-the-drug-takers-who-changed-history

"Another laughing gas lover, the psychologist William James, later observed that there are two types of people: the once-born and the twice-born. The once-born accept the world as it is and get on with it. The twice-born have a life-changing insight or vision. Some become questing, drug-ingesting “psychonauts” as a result – and it is they who form the focus of this fascinating book."

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

A sunny place for shady people? There’s always demand for that, if it wasn’t Monaco it would be somewhere else.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,084
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

"Elon Musk has warned that in the next two to three decades, artificial intelligence will change society so much that it will go beyond recognition. He also predicts that the development of artificial general intelligence (AGI) is not far away, possibly only three to six years"

The solution is probably to let him have more money and power, and stop interferring with his businesses I bet.
    It is hard to place too much credibility in Elon Musk given the number of wrong predictions he has made to date and recent events has shown him to have wildly poor judgment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Elon Musk is a hype man, a phony of astral depth, a 20 foot glitter turd.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?
    Humphry Davy on laughing gas, Sigmund Freud on cocaine … how self-experimentation shaped science and art"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/may/10/psychonauts-by-mike-jay-review-the-drug-takers-who-changed-history

"Another laughing gas lover, the psychologist William James, later observed that there are two types of people: the once-born and the twice-born. The once-born accept the world as it is and get on with it. The twice-born have a life-changing insight or vision. Some become questing, drug-ingesting “psychonauts” as a result – and it is they who form the focus of this fascinating book."

Shout out to Nobel Prize-winning discoverer of PCR (which amplifies tiny DNA samples for the feds) Kary Mullis, whose start in chemistry came in synthesising his own LSD.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kary_Mullis#Use_of_hallucinogens
  • Options
    WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

The solution is probably to let him have more money and power, and stop interferring with his businesses I bet.
    It is hard to place too much credibility in Elon Musk given the number of wrong predictions he has made to date and recent events has shown him to have wildly poor judgment.
    it doesn't really matter whether you believe Musk or not

The fact is - as my experience in Ibiza revealed - people who are paid to think and make predictions about this stuff, or people who have so much money they can influence or benefit from this stuff, to people who are free thinking weirdos with massive Twitter followings, are all OBSESSED with AI

It was like being parachuted into my intellectual home. My kind of dudes. AI, AI, AI - then some more excellent wine - then back to AI
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

With enough cash to buy in to actual good ideas and claim he was a visionary.

I'm reminded of the scene in Manhattan when they go into the desert and do mushrooms and explode with "creativity". When they come round in the morning they have not solved the implosion problem, they've scrawled garbage on the walls.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?

Ah ok thanks. That sort of bloke. Yes I've met one or two when I've not been fast enough.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

I'll be interesting to see where all this goes when someone kills himself or a member of his family because ChatGPT told him that drinking bleach, antifreeze and honey cures toothache. Tragic, but something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    ping said:

There should be fucking riots on the streets about this. The conservatives did this to us. How fucking dare they?

I enabled this man, with my Tory vote back in 2012. I won’t make the same mistake again.

What exactly are you suggesting happened, that he was somehow supported in his criminal endeavours by the Tories?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I'll be interesting to see where all this goes when someone kills himself or a member of his family because ChatGPT told him that drinking bleach, antifreeze and honey cures toothache. Tragic, but something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.
    It already did in Belgium. Do keep up

"This is insane.

A paralyzed man can walk thanks again to AI.

Plus, huge announcments from Neuralink, TikTok, Dharmesh, and 12 new AI tools.

Here's the rundown of everything going on in AI right now:"

https://twitter.com/rowancheung/status/1662081664376360960?s=20

"All the hype is on GPT-4 and ChatGPT.

People seem to be forgetting about the incredible work of Neuralink.

Here's footage of a monkey with an implanted Neuralink brain chip playing a game of pong with his brain:

(Details in thread 🧵)"

https://twitter.com/rowancheung/status/1638202366385176577?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited May 2023

ping said:

Hiding in plain sight.

Wasn't it the French and Dutch police who broke into Encrochat, the villain's whatsapp?
    The article states that he was caught smuggling by French customs, which I guess is the reason he was caught by French police, and not British police.
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

The fact is - as my experience in Ibiza revealed - people who are paid to think and make predictions about this stuff, or people who have so much money they can influence or benefit from this stuff, to people who are free thinking weirdos with massive Twitter followings, are all OBSESSED with AI

It was like being parachuted into my intellectual home. My kind of dudes. AI, AI, AI - then some more excellent wine - then back to AI
    You give far too much credibility to people with status. Most of them just repeat what they hear from each other until they fall for the human bias to utterly believe something you hear from three sources you trust.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2023
    mwadams said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

I'm reminded of the scene in Manhattan when they go into the desert and do mushrooms and explode with "creativity". When they come round in the morning they have not solved the implosion problem, they've scrawled garbage on the walls.
    He certainly appropriates shit ideas without doing due diligence.

• Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

It already did in Belgium. Do keep up

"This is insane.

A paralyzed man can walk thanks again to AI.

Plus, huge announcments from Neuralink, TikTok, Dharmesh, and 12 new AI tools.

Here's the rundown of everything going on in AI right now:"

https://twitter.com/rowancheung/status/1662081664376360960?s=20

"All the hype is on GPT-4 and ChatGPT.

People seem to be forgetting about the incredible work of Neuralink.

Here's footage of a monkey with an implanted Neuralink brain chip playing a game of pong with his brain:

(Details in thread 🧵)"

https://twitter.com/rowancheung/status/1638202366385176577?s=20
    After seeing his manipulations on Twitter, anyone that hands over power of their neural network to Elon Musk is certifiably insane.
  • Options
    The French are wankers.

Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk said "people should be embarrassed" after she was booed off court following her first-round defeat by Aryna Sabalenka at the French Open.

Kostyuk avoided shaking hands with second seed Sabalenka after the Belarusian's 6-3 6-2 win.

Belarus is an ally of Russia and allowed troops to use its territory to launch last year's invasion of Ukraine.

Sabalenka said Kostyuk "didn't deserve to leave the court that way".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/65738855
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866
    Leon said:

You should have told them about what.three.words
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

You give far too much credibility to people with status. Most of them just repeat what they hear from each other until they fall for the human bias to utterly believe something you hear from three sources you trust.
    This is just gibberish

Why do you think governments are freaking out about AI? They are not gripped by some mass delusion

"Rishi Sunak races to tighten rules for AI amid fears of existential risk"

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/may/26/rishi-sunak-races-to-tighten-rules-for-ai-amid-fears-of-existential-risk
  • Options
    No one talking about Putin sending nukes to Belarus and then Lukashenko suddenly getting hospitalized?
  • Options
    Hurrah for the rain in Monaco.
  • Options
    To make Monaco interesting, just add rain.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EWYemclKA

https://www.star.com.tr/video/canli.asp

https://www.yenisafak.com/en/secim-cumhurbaskanligi-2023-2-tur/secim-sonuclari

Ok so the polls have just closed and the count is underway at the polling stations (the televised count at one of them just now seemed to be entirely Erdogan votes).

Not expecting this to be anything other than a comfortable victory for the incumbent, 52% of the vote minimum I think and could easily be 54-55 or more.

So I hope some of you managed to fill your boots at the 3/1 that was on offer for Erdogan two weeks ago!

Many thanks,

DC
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

This is just gibberish

Why do you think governments are freaking out about AI? They are not gripped by some mass delusion

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/may/26/rishi-sunak-races-to-tighten-rules-for-ai-amid-fears-of-existential-risk
    Because its their job to do be ahead of things. I would do the same. Clearly AI has had a leap forward and that should rightfully precipitate government regulation. But it doesn't mean Skynet will be here by 2026.
  • Options

The French are wankers.

Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk said "people should be embarrassed" after she was booed off court following her first-round defeat by Aryna Sabalenka at the French Open.

Kostyuk avoided shaking hands with second seed Sabalenka after the Belarusian's 6-3 6-2 win.

Belarus is an ally of Russia and allowed troops to use its territory to launch last year's invasion of Ukraine.

Why didn't she shake Sabalenka's hand? It's not her fault what Belarus is doing.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

You haven't told us why they're obsessed with AI.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

A sunny place for shady people? There’s always demand for that, if it wasn’t Monaco it would be somewhere else.
    I lived in Cannes for a while and used to visit Monaco. Never quite 'penetrated' it if you know what I mean. Supposedly a happening place but it was always strangely dead around me. A standout memory of my times there was a prohibitive fine dining experience in a near empty restaurant whereby I had 'snail ravioli' and got food poisoning.

But it's more the race, I meant. I enjoy it but it's an odd one.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

This is just gibberish

Because its their job to do be ahead of things. I would do the same. Clearly AI has had a leap forward and that should rightfully precipitate government regulation. But it doesn't mean Skynet will be here by 2026.
    It is entirely possible we will attain AGI this decade (or create an AI that is so convincingly like AGI we will be forced to treat it as such). That is Musk's point

That is the singularity. That changes human history. It is no wonder some people are being a little hyperbolic
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

All true. But Musk is also someone who knows how to solve complex technical and industrial challenges to create useful and desirable products. That combination of hype and technical expertise is very rare and is what is behind the success of Tesla and SpaceX.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

You haven't told us why they're obsessed with AI.
    Because they all think it is about to transform human society in multiple ways. Some are excited and optimistic, some are excited and pessimistic. But they are all excited and obsessed
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    stodge said:

I have been tipping Leicester to go down since before Christmas, and if we do then it pays for my season ticket for the next two years. I am not sure that 7/2 is a good bet. Last Monday was our first clean sheet since October.

I think Everton will survive, but the odds on Bournemouth there are attractive.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

All true. But Musk is also someone who knows how to solve complex technical and industrial challenges to create useful and desirable products. That combination of hype and technical expertise is very rare and is what is behind the success of Tesla and SpaceX.
    There's a really weird type of person who genuinely believes Musk is a fraud and devoid of true imagination: a charlatan. A lucky snake oil salesman. I've seen people on Twitter arguing that he is really quite stupid

It is bizarre. Has he made terrible errors? And encountered disasters? Of course he has, he's a risk taker. An entrepreneur. But the idea he is dim is sensationally dim in itself

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,062
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?
    My eyebrows were raised higher on the notion of "world famous" estate agents.

It sounds like the dinner party from Hell. Estate Agents, the drug addled, political SPADS, a playboy and a right-wing jobbing hack. Imagine the aroma of BS.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 933
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Others demur

"Here's somebody really hyped about AI" is not exactly a counterargument to "we're at the peak of the hype curve on this technology"...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

There's a really weird type of person who genuinely believes Musk is a fraud and devoid of true imagination: a charlatan. A lucky snake oil salesman. I've seen people on Twitter arguing that he is really quite stupid

It is bizarre. Has he made terrible errors? And encountered disasters? Of course he has, he's a risk taker. An entrepreneur. But the idea he is dim is sensationally dim in itself

The funniest rant I heard like that, was while charging a hired Tesla at a Supercharger.

“He produced nothing! It’s all marketing and lies! Nothing at all!”
  • Options
    pm215 said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Others demur

"Here's somebody really hyped about AI" is not exactly a counterargument to "we're at the peak of the hype curve on this technology"...
    Yes, spot on!
  • Options
    edited May 2023

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a "psychonaut"?
    My eyebrows were raised higher on the notion of "world famous" estate agents.

It sounds like the dinner party from Hell. Estate Agents, the drug addled, political SPADS, a playboy and a right-wing jobbing hack. Imagine the aroma of BS.
    It wasn’t a dinner party. It was a weekend

At one point we all went to a secret music gig in an enchanted dell where you could have mind altering cacao drinks and gawp at the billlonaire heiresses

• Options
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

I didn't say he's dim. I said he's a 20ft glitter turd. Glitter turds are really the opposite of dim. They are bright and alluring and very very shiny. And they are turds.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

I didn't say he's dim. I said he's a 20ft glitter turd. Glitter turds are really the opposite of dim. They are bright and alluring and very very shiny. And they are turds.
    What is this drivel?
  • Options
    edited May 2023

mwadams said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

He certainly appropriates shit ideas without doing due diligence.

It's easy enough to fall for fake quotes, we've all done it. The thing about Musk is that he appears to uncritically believe anything he's just read, which you'd hope people who have billions would not do. I'm old fashioned and would like to believe even evil Billionaires are at least that credulous.

You don't get what he has without intelligence and savvy to some degree, and being a bit loony probably, but like many a twitter 'expert' he seems to think being smart in one area means he is a genius at everything.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

What is this drivel?
    Exactly what it looks like: it's me interrupting your heaving, bucking Muskgasm with scatological imagery.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

What is this drivel?
    Exactly what it looks like: it's me interrupting your heaving, bucking Muskgasm with scatological imagery.
    Ah, OK. Do carry on then! I'm off to Marks and Sparks then having a walk in the park
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

I lived in Cannes for a while and used to visit Monaco. Never quite 'penetrated' it if you know what I mean. Supposedly a happening place but it was always strangely dead around me. A standout memory of my times there was a prohibitive fine dining experience in a near empty restaurant whereby I had 'snail ravioli' and got food poisoning.

But it's more the race, I meant. I enjoy it but it's an odd one.
    Murray Walker opened the show from Monaco in about 1995, by saying that if there wasn’t already a race in Monaco, there’s no way they would allow one now. Since then, the cars have got about 2’ longer and 1’ wider.

Despite the rain chaos, hope everyone bet on no safety car.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

What is this drivel?
    Ah, OK. Do carry on then! I'm off to Marks and Sparks then having a walk in the park
    Alright grandad.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

The French are wankers.

Why didn't she shake Sabalenka's hand? It's not her fault what Belarus is doing.
    It was performative on her part, to be sure, but deserving of being booed?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866
    Leon said:

Oh, walk...
  • Options
    RobD said:

ping said:

ping said:

Hiding in plain sight.

You might be right, although encrochat isn’t referenced in the article.

In terms of justice, I always bought into the whole liberal principle of “treat people as individuals” “don’t judge the family” thing, but increasingly I find it harder to sustain.

I strongly suspect that guy was only able to do what he did to my society because of his mum. The knowledge he gained from her. Her protection.

I enabled that when I crossed the Tory box, back in 2012. The more fool, I.
    I think you have an absurdly inflated impression of the power and influence of a deputy police commissioner.
    That is certainly true, not all areas even have deputy commissioners, that's how vital they are.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

The French are wankers.

Unless Sabalenka is in some way culpable or supportive of this injustice, then yes. Refusing to shake someone's hand because their government has done something wrong (if this is in fact the case) merits a hearty boo.
    In that spirit, and with the risk I'll need to retract if Sabalenka has indeed been saying some upsetting things, I'll join in: boooo, Kostyuk. Boooo.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Musk said Neuralink tech would hit the market in 2021. He said the world would be sleeping in their self driving cars by 2019. In 2014 he said there would be seriously dangerous AGI in five years. The guy clearly has talent in identifying the right startups to back, and in self publicity, but he is also a frequently wrong blowhard.
    You back 100 horses you're bound to get some winners.

He's managed more success than simply backing a few right horses, I don't think anyone says he is completely stupid, but even before buying it twitter was very bad for his reputation, since it's shown he frequently engages in low grade trolling and inflated assumptions of his own understanding of things and situations, and has incredibly thin skin about it - which is just petty. You're rich enough to not give a shit, no need for pettiness.
  • Options

Turkey

Ok so the polls have just closed and the count is underway at the polling stations (the televised count at one of them just now seemed to be entirely Erdogan votes).

Not expecting this to be anything other than a comfortable victory for the incumbent, 52% of the vote minimum I think and could easily be 54-55 or more.

So I hope some of you managed to fill your boots at the 3/1 that was on offer for Erdogan two weeks ago!

Many thanks,

DC

Another one of those where the reactionary populist outperforms their polling in the actual election.
  • Options
    Does anyone expect Erdogan to lose tonight?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

The French are wankers.

Unless Sabalenka is in some way culpable or supportive of this injustice, then yes. Refusing to shake someone's hand because their government has done something wrong (if this is in fact the case) merits a hearty boo.
    In that spirit, and with the risk I'll need to retract if Sabalenka has indeed been saying some upsetting things, I'll join in: boooo, Kostyuk. Boooo.
    Given the level of support for the war in Russia (edit I don't know the level of support in Belorussia itself, but officially I imagine it is high, and it may well be riskier to be against given the shakier position of the regime) there seems a high chance Sabalenka supports it or has to be careful not to speak out against it, which Kostyuk may well regard as passive support for it. If there's no actual rule that you have to shake hands with your opponent, as is the case with some sports (or bow, etc), then I'd be relaxed about people acting as they wish, though it might be better to do it in as perfunctory a way as possible, ostentatiously turning away or something, to get the point across.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Turkey

Many thanks,

DC

Another one of those where the reactionary populist outperforms their polling in the actual election.
    On over 49% in the first round? No.

Worked out better for him than winning in the first round - increasing authoritarian? Heck no, he didn't even force an outright win in the first round.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    kle4 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

Musk said Neuralink tech would hit the market in 2021. He said the world would be sleeping in their self driving cars by 2019. In 2014 he said there would be seriously dangerous AGI in five years. The guy clearly has talent in identifying the right startups to back, and in self publicity, but he is also a frequently wrong blowhard.

He's managed more success than simply backing a few right horses, I don't think anyone says he is completely stupid, but even before buying it twitter was very bad for his reputation, since it's shown he frequently engages in low grade trolling and inflated assumptions of his own understanding of things and situations, and has incredibly thin skin about it - which is just petty. You're rich enough to not give a shit, no need for pettiness.
    It's the old VC con, too. Back 15 things (with other people's money). Get 1 hit. Get people to put more money in at increased valuation. Declare a mega-hit. Rinse and repeat.

You literally discount the failures and artificially ratchet the successes. It's worked well for 40 years, but it is already starting to creak.

They won't care; that generation of the megawealthy is well insulated against failure.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

The French are wankers.

Given the level of support for the war in Russia (edit I don't know the level of support in Belorussia itself, but officially I imagine it is high, and it may well be riskier to be against given the shakier position of the regime) there seems a high chance Sabalenka supports it or has to be careful not to speak out against it, which Kostyuk may well regard as passive support for it. If there's no actual rule that you have to shake hands with your opponent, as is the case with some sports (or bow, etc), then I'd be relaxed about people acting as they wish, though it might be better to do it in as perfunctory a way as possible, ostentatiously turning away or something, to get the point across.
    Sabalenka’s Belarusian not Russian. She has previously expressed sympathy for Ukraine but stopped short of condemning Russia’s invasion, which is understandable given what would happen to her if she did.

Kostyuk also refused to shake hands with Azarenka last year, but they seem to have agreed in advance to touch racquets instead.

It’s because Kostyuk has called for Russian and Belarusian athletes to be banned entirely from international sport until the Russians withdraw and doesn’t want to show her approval of their still being allowed to compete. Equally, you could argue it’s a bit hypocritical of her to play them at all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

The French are wankers.

Given the level of support for the war in Russia there seems a high chance Sabalenka supports it or has to be careful not to speak out against it, which Kostyuk may well regard as passive support for it. If there's no actual rule that you have to shake hands with your opponent, as is the case with some sports (or bow, etc), then I'd be relaxed about people acting as they wish, though it might be better to do it in as perfunctory a way as possible, ostentatiously turning away or something, to get the point across.
    Firstly, I understand Sabalenka is Belarussian. Not sure that changes anything substantial in your post so moving on...
    After a tiny bit of reading around, it sounds like Sabalenka has said things along the lines of "of course none of us players support the war". Which is weakly in the right direction. I can understand perfectly if a player didn't even want to say that. Belarus and Russia have a history of petty reprisals or worse against critics. It's not for me or Kostyuk to demand a risky full-throated denunciation from anyone who could reasonably be put at risk by that kind of statement.

I'm a gobby one and I'll tend to be quite open in my criticisms of governmental wrongdoing. I wouldn't demand that others act the same though. It feels to me like Kostyuk is in the wrong here.
  • Options

Turkey

Many thanks,

DC

Thanks DC. I still miss the Election Game!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Turkey

Many thanks,

DC

On over 49% in the first round? No.

Worked out better for him than winning in the first round - increasing authoritarian? Heck no, he didn't even force an outright win in the first round.
    But in the 1st round he did better than polls indicated. That's right, isn't it?
  • Options
    If all goes well, in about a year you will all learn what these people were doing in the Balearics because it will be in the news

Potentially it will be seriously headline news
  • Options
    kle4 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Others demur

The man is quite clearly a long way along the autism spectrum. He is a technology geek and has the money to really go along with his obsessions, sometimes to great success. But he frequently gets carried away with his fantasies and has that rich boy ego where he will boast to get attention.

The real damage of Twitter for him isn't the lack of emotional restraint and trolling. As you say, we knew that already. The real damage is it has shown the world his management style, which is largely catastrophic. He does not manage money well and he manages people even more poorly. It also brings into question how much he actually runs his own businesses. CEO for three companies while also having a social media obsession. Are we sure Tesla wasn't actually being run by others who live the tech and believe in the mission, navigating around his chaotic leadership?

the lack of understanding of human beings
  • Options
    Leon said:

If all goes well, in about a year you will all learn what these people were doing in the Balearics because it will be in the news

They will have found the secret of knapping a perfect flint dildo?
  • Options
    Leon said:

yeah yeah
  • Options
    Leon said:

Its the same thing people that do Davos every year. People with status getting a special glow from each other for being part of an exclusive, luxury event.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Farooq said:

What are these wonderful things he'd be doing if it weren't for the Tory Party?
This discussion has been closed.