Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m betting on 40/1 Nikki Haley for the GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My older daughter turns 17 today. A complex age for any human. And I immediately thought of the Janis Ian song, and found this exquisite live rendition on The Old Grey Whistle Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz2TNMvL0

Just absolutely spine-tingling. Can you imagine being in that audience and hearing this LIVE for the first time. A cold clear copper bottomed masterpiece of a song. The voice, the guitar work, the immortal tune, the poignant lyrics, everything. Ah, fuck. What 'appened to music?

Great song. Do we always have to include that hangdog 'better in my day' bit at the end though? We're the same age (ish) but my son is double 17. That's 34 (for the non accountants). It's interestingly poised now, our relationship. 62 plays 34. He has a clear edge in almost everything.
    Yes, unfortunately, we do have to include the "better in my day" bit because it is interesting. Because, for the first time in many decades, this tired old meme is provably true and says something important about politics

Thus elevating the comment from "Oooh I have a family moment and here's a nice song" to something a shade more interesting that might make a Gazette piece so I'm trying it out from different angles
    Hmm, ok. I don't agree with you though. I don't think this 'better in my day' (about music) is any different to the standard one about anything else.

And there's nothing wrong with just sharing the family moment!
    Where is the equivalent - post, say, 2010 - of a pop song as exquisite, delicate and moving as "At 17"? It does not exist

Amy Winehouse is much missed. She was the very last of the Golden Age. The Tintoretto of the Pop Music Renaissance

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,117
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Alun Michael talking about the Cardiff incident this morning on Radio Wales Breakfast, according to the BBC:
    "I was assured, and I am still assured, that the youths were not being chased by the police at the time of the road traffic accident ... There was no police vehicle in the road where the crash happened. There was a police van in another street and the police were called quickly to the accident and conducted CPR"

So entirely consistent with the police van seen in the CCTV footage having just followed the boys west along Stanway Road, but having been prevented by a traffic barrier from following them into Snowden Road, where the crash occurred a little further to the west.

A report just published by the Independent says:
    "The family friend said they believe the boys had got away from the police by riding up Stanwey Road, which is blocked off to traffic at one end, and had then ridden onto the adjacent Snowden Road where the crash occurred."
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardiff-riots-crash-ely-news-today-b2344630.html
    And judging from the information just released by the police, as reported by the BBC, that is precisely what happened.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Alun Michael talking about the Cardiff incident this morning on Radio Wales Breakfast, according to the BBC:
    "I was assured, and I am still assured, that the youths were not being chased by the police at the time of the road traffic accident ... There was no police vehicle in the road where the crash happened. There was a police van in another street and the police were called quickly to the accident and conducted CPR"

So entirely consistent with the police van seen in the CCTV footage having just followed the boys west along Stanway Road, but having been prevented by a traffic barrier from following them into Snowden Road, where the crash occurred a little further to the west.

"The family friend said they believe the boys had got away from the police by riding up Stanwey Road, which is blocked off to traffic at one end, and had then ridden onto the adjacent Snowden Road where the crash occurred."
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardiff-riots-crash-ely-news-today-b2344630.html
    The anti-LTN crowd will be all over this:

"If it weren't for the bollards, the police could've rammed them themselves"
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My older daughter turns 17 today. A complex age for any human. And I immediately thought of the Janis Ian song, and found this exquisite live rendition on The Old Grey Whistle Test

Just absolutely spine-tingling. Can you imagine being in that audience and hearing this LIVE for the first time. A cold clear copper bottomed masterpiece of a song. The voice, the guitar work, the immortal tune, the poignant lyrics, everything. Ah, fuck. What 'appened to music?

Great song. Do we always have to include that hangdog 'better in my day' bit at the end though? We're the same age (ish) but my son is double 17. That's 34 (for the non accountants). It's interestingly poised now, our relationship. 62 plays 34. He has a clear edge in almost everything.
    Yes, unfortunately, we do have to include the "better in my day" bit because it is interesting. Because, for the first time in many decades, this tired old meme is provably true and says something important about politics

Thus elevating the comment from "Oooh I have a family moment and here's a nice song" to something a shade more interesting that might make a Gazette piece so I'm trying it out from different angles
    Hmm, ok. I don't agree with you though. I don't think this 'better in my day' (about music) is any different to the standard one about anything else.

Where is the equivalent - post, say, 2010 - of a pop song as exquisite, delicate and moving as "At 17"? It does not exist

Amy Winehouse is much missed. She was the very last of the Golden Age. The Tintoretto of the Pop Music Renaissance

Jedward
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I love that song, and haven't listened to it in decades.
    Thanks for that, and many happy returns to the kid.
    You're welcome, and thankyou on behalf of the kiddo

I have now listened to that Janis Ian live version of At 17 three times over and there is so much that is so well done. Her enunciation is perrrrrfect. She extends the vowels on Vaaaaalentnes and yoooouth in a way which fits the song superbly yet also adds to its plangent sadness in a way I cannot quite understand. That is great art and that is peak singer song-writing. She knows her own song so well, and it is so heartfelt, she can make something sublime out of each delicately voiced word, possibly without even quite knowing she is doing it
    You are talking about someone who wrote Society's Child when she was 15. I would not assume any lack of insight on her part.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,413
    tlg86 said:
    Very interesting, thanks. I hadn't really thought about the proportional implications of MRP.

There are modifications available, interesting to see whether any are employed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I have now listened to that Janis Ian live version of At 17 three times over and there is so much that is so well done. Her enunciation is perrrrrfect. She extends the vowels on Vaaaaalentnes and yoooouth in a way which fits the song superbly yet also adds to its plangent sadness in a way I cannot quite understand. That is great art and that is peak singer song-writing. She knows her own song so well, and it is so heartfelt, she can make something sublime out of each delicately voiced word, possibly without even quite knowing she is doing it
    You are talking about someone who wrote Society's Child when she was 15. I would not assume any lack of insight on her part.
    I'm not doubting her talent. I am saying she is so talented she possibly does it unconsciously - instinctively - which is the mark of a true artist. Either way: Tinglez
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

In 30 years' time, Leon's daughter will be on here wishing her own son a happy 17th birthday and bemoaning that music isn't as good now as it was back in 2023
    Yep. Which is all as it should be. Fwiw my son - 34 - says it's been downhill since 2004. Early Kanye etc.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,703
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

If we are comparing female vocalists, may I present the isolated Grace Slick vocals from "White Rabbit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZ7e9ytm-g (original, 1969, isolated vocals)

Only other person who came close to that was P!nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSNgR2bA_Io (cover, 2017, non-isolated vocals)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    eek said:

carnforth said:

Jaguar Land Rover to pick UK over Spain for giant car battery plant:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65698529

"Some in the car industry have described the plant as the most significant investment in UK automotive since Nissan came to Britain in the 1980s."

(This sounds a bit over the top to me, it's just running to stand still it seems, but what do I know?)

Without a battery factory all car manufacturing would be heading abroad.

With 1 there is a chance our car manufacturing will continue and (might) even expand...
    But what battery? Picking a type of battery that will win the range/safety/cost race is the big question.
    So much is happening right now in battery development they will have to be on their toes and make the right decisions - otherwise it could be the next Inmos.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,127
    Eabhal said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

The anti-LTN crowd will be all over this:

"If it weren't for the bollards, the police could've rammed them themselves"
    The electric scooter was ULEZ compliant.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

If we are comparing female vocalists, may I present the isolated Grace Slick vocals from "White Rabbit"

No discussion of great singers is allowed to pass without mention of Joan Armatrading.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,403
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Well now, I could list half a dozen - but then time flies by so quickly and it turns out that everyone who springs to mind predates 2010.
    Roughly when a) social music, and b) tge ubiquity of all content ever created really took off.
    I'm pretty sure there's still a lot of good musicians out there. But our way of consuming it has changed. We can access whatever we want, for free, and we don't invest our time in it, and we move quickly on to the next thing. This is possibly not to the benefit of the music itself.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

No discussion of great singers is allowed to pass without mention of Joan Armatrading.
    I think this is the discussion in which we all inadvertently give away our ages... :(
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Selebian said:

tlg86 said:
    Very interesting, thanks. I hadn't really thought about the proportional implications of MRP.

I'm of the view that MRPs shouldn't be done outside of an election period (debateable as to when that starts, but certainly not yet).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,127
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Try out Veronique Sanson's Amoureuse, particularly the version where she drifts from European language to European language including English, although Kiki Dee makes a decent fist in English.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

And judging from the information just released by the police, as reported by the BBC, that is precisely what happened.
    But almost immediately the police have been asked about more CCTV footage that has just emerged, which appears to contradict their timeline.

The police timeline begins:
    17:59:40 A bike travelled towards the police vehicle in Frank Road, the bike turns around
    18:00:52: The bike is followed by a police vehicle

The new footage referred to is probably this, which is time-stamped 17:56 and shows the police van already in pursuit:
    https://news.sky.com/video/cardiff-new-cctv-shows-police-following-two-people-on-an-electric-scooter-before-fatal-crash-in-ely-12888337

"Bacon responds by saying she has given the timeline to the best of her knowledge.
    She repeats that the police force has looked through hundreds of hours of footage, with more yet to review."

Query: why should the police need to check hundreds of hours of footage to puzzle out the movements of a police van?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I am not in loooooove, but I'm open to persuasion

Yes, that's up there with "At 17"
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I think this is the discussion in which we all inadvertently give away our ages... :(
    I'm actually a bit younger than Armatrading's peak, but got into her work in a way that pleases me. Back in the early nineties, I was hobbling along the Grand Union Canal near Southall when a gf phoned me up on my chunky analogue mobile phone. We had a chat, and my Walkman had a friend's mixtape in. Once the call ended, 'Love and Affection' came on.

Whenever I hear 'Love and Affection', I think of that friend, that place, and that walk. (As it happens, I was chatting to her earlier today.)

Occasionally, a song can take you back to *that* moment.

I also saw Armatrading perform about ten years ago in Cambridge. A lovely night.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Probably not in this case. The peak of Armatrading's powers was before I was born :smile:
  • Options
    slade said:

Just one local by-election tomorrow - in North Yorkshire. It is normally a safe Labour seat but there is an interesting background. The sitting councillor resigned from the party and then from the council. But he is standing again as a No Description.

Left wing veteran upset by direction of his party, apparently.

A situation to which there can be but one response, which is: "SKS fans, please explain."
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

But almost immediately the police have been asked about more CCTV footage that has just emerged, which appears to contradict their timeline.

17:59:40 A bike travelled towards the police vehicle in Frank Road, the bike turns around

The new footage referred to is probably this, which is time-stamped 17:56 and shows the police van already in pursuit:
    https://news.sky.com/video/cardiff-new-cctv-shows-police-following-two-people-on-an-electric-scooter-before-fatal-crash-in-ely-12888337

"Bacon responds by saying she has given the timeline to the best of her knowledge.
    She repeats that the police force has looked through hundreds of hours of footage, with more yet to review."

Query: why should the police need to check hundreds of hours of footage to puzzle out the movements of a police van?
    They're probably checking out lots of other things as well, such as when the boys rode past, or potential witnesses. It's an *important* crime now, and they will want to ensure that all the evidence is gathered and collated. Otherwise, idiots on the Internet will say they didn't do their job.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Its a tough challenge. Sunshine on Leith by the Proclaimers?
    https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=sunshine+on+leith+&mid=8FC1BD5F3D5D1425F1898FC1BD5F3D5D1425F189
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    edited May 2023
    One of the best songs on the passage of time by Joni Mitchell:

16 springs and 16 summers gone now
    Cartwheels turn to car wheels through the town
    And they tell him, "Take your time, it won't be long now
    'Til you drag your feet to slow the circles down"

And the seasons, they go round and round
    And the painted ponies go up and down
    We're captive on the carousel of time
    We can't return, we can only look
    Behind, from where we came
    And go round and round and round, in the circle game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x4ESsDq6wc
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Or, much darker:

"That's when the music started
    I heard the light switch click
    I stumbled on a lost shoe
    The fever's starting
    This man was getting hot
    I got no strength to make him stop
    I guess it's too late
    But I'll know next time
    To mix some water with the wine"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=sunshine+on+leith+&mid=8FC1BD5F3D5D1425F1898FC1BD5F3D5D1425F189
    Great song, but it's 35 years old
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

So it is. I was also going to mention Pink's Family Portrait. From 2001!!
    I'm getting old.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I'm getting old.
    No faster than the rest of us though. Enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,359
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I'm getting old.
    A friend pointed out to me recently that if you ever watched Friends then today Ben is 28, Phoebe's triplets are 25, Emma is 21, and Monica & Chandler, their kids are 19.

I might as start as well collecting my pension today.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Something is not right with this issue of Boris and the lawyers he has apparently sacked.

The facts as I understand them:-

- Last year it was revealed that Boris had instructed Peters & Peters, a firm specialising in fraud and David Pannick KC to advise him in relation to the Standards Committee investigation into him.
    - The government agreed to pay their fees. Why has never been explained.
    - Peters & Peters and Pannick were present when Johnson gave evidence to the Committee.
    - Now we are told that Cabinet office lawyers have been advising him. Why?
    - What happened to Peters & Peters? Government lawyers advise the government not backbench MPs.
    - If they are advising Boris in his capacity as PM in respect of actions done as PM and the government is paying, it is not for him to sack them. He can refuse to be advised by them but then he should be paying for his own lawyers. But no, apparently we are paying. Again, why?

We are not being told the full story I think.

Are your facts straight? The Guardian says:
    While Johnson is confident taxpayers will continue picking up the bill for his new legal team, he admitted in a letter to the Covid inquiry published on Monday that the Cabinet Office had yet to “agree funding and other practical arrangements”.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

They're probably checking out lots of other things as well, such as when the boys rode past, or potential witnesses. It's an *important* crime now, and they will want to ensure that all the evidence is gathered and collated. Otherwise, idiots on the Internet will say they didn't do their job.
    Certainly some people will say anything.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Great-grandmother, 95, dies after being tasered by police in Australian care home

A 95-year-old great-grandmother with dementia who was tasered by police at a care home, has died. Outrage swept across Australia and beyond after 5ft 2in Clare Nowland was tasered by police at her care home in Cooma, New South Wales, last week. NSW Police confirmed Ms Nowland died "peacefully" in hospital just after 7pm on Wednesday, surrounded by family and loved ones. Senior Constable Kristian White, 33, has been charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm (GBH), assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and common assault."

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-24/great-grandmother-95-tasered-by-police-in-care-home-dies

It could be about to be upgraded to murder.
    Just an appalling story.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,639

slade said:

Just one local by-election tomorrow - in North Yorkshire. It is normally a safe Labour seat but there is an interesting background. The sitting councillor resigned from the party and then from the council. But he is standing again as a No Description.

Left wing veteran upset by direction of his party, apparently...

Headed for power you mean?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Something is not right with this issue of Boris and the lawyers he has apparently sacked.

- Last year it was revealed that Boris had instructed Peters & Peters, a firm specialising in fraud and David Pannick KC to advise him in relation to the Standards Committee investigation into him.
    - Peters & Peters and Pannick were present when Johnson gave evidence to the Committee.
    - What happened to Peters & Peters? Government lawyers advise the government not backbench MPs.
    - If they are advising Boris in his capacity as PM in respect of actions done as PM and the government is paying, it is not for him to sack them. He can refuse to be advised by them but then he should be paying for his own lawyers. But no, apparently we are paying. Again, why?

AIUI - The principle is that when it comes to inquiries the government will pay the legal fees for the PM and relevant minister if it relates to their tenure in government.

As for GLD to be involved that is something to with what is published and sent to the committee (and released publicly) to avoid the accidental publication of names/confidential information/market sensitive information.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I've dropped off tracking new releases (being 62) and in any case there's so much product these days on so many platforms you can't get your arms around it as you once could. It used to be that if you were into music and there was a great song released you'd be bound to hear it. The corollary was if you didn't hear something it can't have been that good. This is no longer the case. There's tons of high quality new music now that unless you devote yourself to seeking it out (which you won't at your age) you will not discover. But it's there.

Eg what I've noticed is when I do random deep dives into recent music, or catch it on soundtracks for tv dramas, I come across plenty of absolutely terrific songs. Songs just as good as those on my familiar playlists. Songs whereby I know that if I listened to them a lot, and could associate them with my younger life, thus generating a sweet nostalgia hit, could take their place as 'classics' (for me). I don't have the time or inclination to do this now, so they don't, but they could. They are objectively good enough, is my point.

So although I'd like to agree that the stuff I've curated and love from many moons ago constitutes a 'Golden Age' (because it's nice to believe that), I kind of know that it isn't. It's another heart v head thing, this. Heart says you're right that music used to be better. Head says it's nonsense.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Video Games (2011)
  • Options
    Leon said:

The music was better then but god the video quality was crap.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    ping said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

carnforth said:

"Some in the car industry have described the plant as the most significant investment in UK automotive since Nissan came to Britain in the 1980s."

(This sounds a bit over the top to me, it's just running to stand still it seems, but what do I know?)

With 1 there is a chance our car manufacturing will continue and (might) even expand...
    We need more than 1 but it is a good start. Should help to keep some of Tata Steel open too.
    If they’re demanding to suck on the teat of the British Taxpayer, we should just nationalise them.

Or make a strategic decision to exit mass car-making altogether. Let the Chinese/Americans/Europeans/Koreans//Japanese compete to export their EV’s and spend the half a billion on universities etc to bet on creating the next ARM of car manufacturing. Or whatever.

Go up the value chain.

I don’t blame the mates of Rishi’s in-laws for taking the piss, but that’s precisely what we’re letting them do.

It’s in our national interest to tell Tata to go fuck themselves.

Politely.
    The success of this also depends on JLR executing their product strategy. The LR part will probably be fine but Jaguar are utterly lost.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    edited May 2023
    The new genre of 'reaction' videos on YouTube could be a symptom of the decline of pop culture. People film themselves watching older performances as if they are encountering an ancient civilisation.

Here's an example of someone reduced to tears by Tori Amos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDo_JliyCoE
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,499
    There are several things that make me think Haley would be a good president

These things, along with others, show she is a good politician: "In September 1996, Nikki Randhawa married Michael Haley; they celebrated with both Sikh and Methodist ceremonies.[24] The couple have two children, a daughter and a son.[16][217]

Haley converted to Christianity in 1997.[218] She and her husband regularly attend the United Methodist Church. She also attends Sikh services once or twice a year.[218] She visited the Harmandir Sahib with her husband in 2014 during her visit to India. During a Christianity Today interview, when asked whether or not she hopes her parents convert to Christianity, Haley responded, "What I hope is that my parents do what's right for them."[219]

Her husband is an officer in the South Carolina Army National Guard. During her gubernatorial term, he was sent in January 2013 on a year-long deployment to Afghanistan."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley#Personal_life

But the entrance of Tim Scott will hurt her chances in South Carolina, and possibly elsewhere.

(FWIW, George H. W. Bush chose to be UN ambassador, when he was preparing for his first run for president.)

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,547
    Palmetto State POTUS Mashup

US Senator Tim Scott and former UN ambassador and governor Nikki Haley give South Carolina two quality contenders for 2024 Republican POTUS nomination.

Both are proven vote-getters at local and statewide level, running as non-White conservative GOP standard-bearers in a VERY tough political league.

Impact of their dueling campaigns on the race in general and the early South Carolina presidential primary is hard to forecast, except (as already noted) it is splitting SC GOP insiders, politicos, pundits and likely primary voters big-time; which in turn will split AND reduce impact of the favorite son-or-daughter vote upon OTHER candidates, most notably Trump and DeSantis.

At this stage most quasi-knowledgeable observers (count me among the quasi) assume that both Scott and Haley are running for Vice President. Each of course would be an excellent running mate for either 45 or RDS.

NOTE that Sen. Scott appears to a semi-stalking horse for Trump, seen as taking away some early backing (esp. financial) and limelight from DeSantis. Which is clearly Job #1 for Trumpworld, with side benefit of also limiting Nikki Haley by making her fight for her own South Carolina base.

So is Tim Scott just the Kanye West of 2024? Hell no, is my short answer. However, like Haley before him, he's clearly willing to play footsie with Trumpsky. And more than just that, if national politics and personal ambitions favor that course.

ON THE OTHER HAND both Nikki Haley and Tim Scott have demonstrated that they are NOT just empty figureheads, but - on occasion - are quite capable of rising to leadership. For their party and beyond that.

• Options

The new genre of 'reaction' videos on YouTube could be a symptom of the decline of pop culture. People film themselves watching older performances as if they are encountering an ancient civilisation.

Mmmmm, people film themselves watching football matches too, it doesn't say anything about the quality of the football.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538

Leon said:

It's nothing to do with the original video quality, it's this particular copy. This is another Whistle Test video from the same year in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwYi7kY8hs
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,547
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Or Box Car Willie. (Now seeking shelter in undisclosed location.)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I've dropped off tracking new releases (being 62) and in any case there's so much product these days on so many platforms you can't get your arms around it as you once could. It used to be that if you were into music and there was a great song released you'd be bound to hear it. The corollary was if you didn't hear something it can't have been that good. This is no longer the case. There's tons of high quality new music now that unless you devote yourself to seeking it out (which you won't at your age) you will not discover. But it's there.

Eg what I've noticed is when I do random deep dives into recent music, or catch it on soundtracks for tv dramas, I come across plenty of absolutely terrific songs. Songs just as good as those on my familiar playlists. Songs whereby I know that if I listened to them a lot, and could associate them with my younger life, thus generating a sweet nostalgia hit, could take their place as 'classics' (for me). I don't have the time or inclination to do this now, so they don't, but they could. They are objectively good enough, is my point.

So although I'd like to agree that the stuff I've curated and love from many moons ago constitutes a 'Golden Age' (because it's nice to believe that), I kind of know that it isn't. It's another heart v head thing, this. Heart says you're right that music used to be better. Head says it's nonsense.
    And yet I have a friend whose job is music reviewing and critiquing. He lives for this. And he LOVES discovering new talent

And he says it simply isn’t there any more. He goes to two gigs a week. Indeed it’s his theory that Winehouse was the last of the greats (I borrowed it)

He has various theories why

There is also factual evidence that music has got more simplistic, crude and lyrically vulgar and coarse
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,490
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nothing but love and affection for her.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    I am not sure that I agree with Peter.

The UNS vs Proportionate swing debate resolves around who is changing party allegiance and where they are geographically distributed around the country, compared with who is keeping their party allegiance and where they are geographically distributed.

In a Labour stronghold, there is going to be a larger population density of their resolute voters, compared with their fair weather friends. Effectively the potential party switchers are more evenly distributed accross the country than die hard supporters. This analysis falls down when the party vote collapses, eg the Lib Dems in 2015, when there are not enough voters for a UNS approach to work.

When applying a MRP approach the population is subdivided into groups with similar characteristics. Those groups are more likely to change on a proportionate basis within themselves, as opposed to Conservative voters as a whole. The MRP population density function for each group is also geographically more precise.

It thus makes sense for any one particular group to react on a proportionate basis, as the whole purpose of the MRP approach is to find segments of the propulation who act the same.

Of course this requires accurate segmentation of the population and geographic distribution mapping for the current electorate. A particular segment for one election may not be sufficiently cohesive in their voting patterns for the next (eg Brexit voters in 2019 and Brexit voters in 2024).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

It's nothing to do with the original video quality, it's this particular copy. This is another Whistle Test video from the same year in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwYi7kY8hs
    Fair point - I stand corrected!
  • Options

Or Box Car Willie. (Now seeking shelter in undisclosed location.)

Box Car Underpants? (ducks)
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited May 2023
    tlg86 said:
    A lot of words to say “don’t trust the size of Labour majority and wipe out of Tories MRP are predicting, it’s way over the top.”

But is there anyone anywhere who did believe the MRP and didn’t think it way over the top?

In MRP defence though, it does move, so gives us further indicator of movement in the electorate. MRP 13-15 May 2021 gave Tories a 122 seat majority.
  • Options

There are several things that make me think Haley would be a good president

These things, along with others, show she is a good politician: "In September 1996, Nikki Randhawa married Michael Haley; they celebrated with both Sikh and Methodist ceremonies.[24] The couple have two children, a daughter and a son.[16][217]

Haley converted to Christianity in 1997.[218] She and her husband regularly attend the United Methodist Church. She also attends Sikh services once or twice a year.[218] She visited the Harmandir Sahib with her husband in 2014 during her visit to India. During a Christianity Today interview, when asked whether or not she hopes her parents convert to Christianity, Haley responded, "What I hope is that my parents do what's right for them."[219]

Her husband is an officer in the South Carolina Army National Guard. During her gubernatorial term, he was sent in January 2013 on a year-long deployment to Afghanistan."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley#Personal_life

But the entrance of Tim Scott will hurt her chances in South Carolina, and possibly elsewhere.

(FWIW, George H. W. Bush chose to be UN ambassador, when he was preparing for his first run for president.)

She goes to church regularly? Ok, but Michael Adebolajo did as well, and he didn't turn out so great in the end.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137

Farooq said:

Talking of scandals…..

Major Update to my Parliamentary Scandals Tracker after some good tips yesterday. Labour really punching above their weight here given they have 60% the number of MPs as the Conservatives and don't have to comply with the Ministerial Code.

Added Corbyn's ignominious ending to this plus some minor Labour MPs nobody has heard of...

As always, happy to refine the information if I'm getting this wrong.

https://twitter.com/eurollout/status/1661375156164472833?

Are we supposed to take this seriously as a measure of current scandals?
    Jared O'mara - who left parliament 3 and a half years ago
    Sue Gray as the absolute *worst* when there's no there, there
    No mention of PPE VIP channel for Tory donors
    No mention of Richard Sharp
    I can't even be bothered to go on
    I can't remember who it was, but an FS allegedly shook off his minders to attend a bunga, bunga party on an alleged KGB Officer's yacht, and it doesn't even get a mention.
    Home Sec can't go to a remedial driving lesson - security risk!
    Foreign Sec staggering drunk around Aeroporto dell'Umbria after a bender at KGB-linked playboy's mansion castle - nothing to see here!
    "Drunk"? I think you mean "tired and emotional".
    Er, no Minister. It says "tired and emotional as a newt".
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,189
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

While Johnson is confident taxpayers will continue picking up the bill for his new legal team, he admitted in a letter to the Covid inquiry published on Monday that the Cabinet Office had yet to “agree funding and other practical arrangements”.
    Thanks. Why have Peters & Peters disappeared? Sacked? Or decided that they did not want to act for him?

I can see no good reason why the taxpayer should be paying for his legal fees. The investigation is not into his actions as PM but his personal actions ie whether he as an individual complied with Covid rules. And whether he misled the Commons. Other MPs facing similar investigations don't get their legal fees paid.
  • Options

You are reacting to a video of somebody else reacting to a video by somebody else. I, in this post, am reacting to you reacting to a video of somebody else reacting to a video by somebody else.

Reactception!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,189

Cyclefree said:

AIUI - The principle is that when it comes to inquiries the government will pay the legal fees for the PM and relevant minister if it relates to their tenure in government.
    But only relating to government activity not their private life. There was no government requirement for him to break Covid rules so if he did so it was a private matter and not something for which the taxpayer should be paying his legal fees.

• Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Hung Parliament nailed on.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks. Why have Peters & Peters disappeared? Sacked? Or decided that they did not want to act for him?

I can see no good reason why the taxpayer should be paying for his legal fees. The investigation is not into his actions as PM but his personal actions ie whether he as an individual complied with Covid rules. And whether he misled the Commons. Other MPs facing similar investigations don't get their legal fees paid.
    I don't know, these are all good questions.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Absolutely right.

There is some cracking music around right now, just keep Shazam to hand and you can assemble a great playlist by watching mini-series or just being in shops for that matter (perhaps not Fortnums).

As to great pop songs post-2010 try Tash Sultana Jungle (2016) and if I bothered to look I could find zillions more from the past year or three.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137
    viewcode said:

You are reacting to a video of somebody else reacting to a video by somebody else. I, in this post, am reacting to you reacting to a video of somebody else reacting to a video by somebody else.

Reactception!
    We need to get Tori Amos's reaction to this thread to close the loop.
  • Options
    Prigozhin has said 20,000 Wagner fighters were killed in the battle for Bakhmut. That’s more than the USSR lost in 10 years in Afghanistan.
    Which brings us to the other thing he said—that this war could end in a revolution in Russia

https://twitter.com/AlecLuhn/status/1661329479787073536
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    The lefty LSE still fighting 2016 all over again, like Jap fighters staggering from undergrowth to stand amongst sunbathers 20 years after the Second World War.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/24/brexit-food-trade-barriers-have-cost-uk-households-7bn-report-finds
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

Hung Parliament nailed on.

Labour will get 20-30 seats in Scotland.

So I personally see a small Labour Majority...
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

And yet I have a friend whose job is music reviewing and critiquing. He lives for this. And he LOVES discovering new talent

And he says it simply isn’t there any more. He goes to two gigs a week. Indeed it’s his theory that Winehouse was the last of the greats (I borrowed it)

There is also factual evidence that music has got more simplistic, crude and lyrically vulgar and coarse
    Maybe because gone are the days when you could go to see Lemon Kittens being supported by U2 (yes, I was there). Or Sore Throat at the Hope and Anchor.

Much is as you are well aware performed well away from gigs although undoubtedly there should be and probably is a thriving live music scene also.

Talking of live things, I try to go to the theatre every week or two and last night I saw F**king Men at the Waterloo East Theatre. Absolutely fantastic and I recommend everyone to go.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited May 2023
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

I am wondering whether what happened was not that the police van was chasing them but the boys who were killed thought it was? That would cover all eventualities.

I happen to know police vehicles in Staffordshire are forbidden to chase illegal motorbikes including electric ones unless they are specially trained and/or have helicopter support, precisely to avoid this kind of situation.

How do I know this? Because we have an absolute plague of the bastards here and I've been coordinating community complaints about them that did eventually lead to a crackdown (although one nearly cannoned into me today when he was riding at speed on the wrong side of the road I was driving on).

Also, it doesn't surprise me at all that they were killed. Two underage boys riding an illegal bike at high speed on unsuitable roads is just asking for trouble. Indeed, the real surprise is that they didn't kill somebody else as well.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Adele's better than Amy who didn't even have a number one. They're just pop artists after all.
  • Options
    Met a reasonably big Borisphobe for lunch today and even he agreed with me that can they please leave it alone wrt covid breaches. Yes he made the rules and then yes he broke them but I seriously cannot be bothered to drag anyone including BoJo over the coals for a breach which is a breach on the slightest of nuances of the law a la being ambushed by a lime soda.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Is it not thought, about materials made available to the Covid enquiry, and what parts of it should or should not be made public ?
    The evidence about potential breach of rules comes from that, so it’s not a clearcut matter.
  • Options

Prigozhin has said 20,000 Wagner fighters were killed in the battle for Bakhmut. That’s more than the USSR lost in 10 years in Afghanistan.
    Which brings us to the other thing he said—that this war could end in a revolution in Russia

We should be so lucky.

Although as the Russians found out in 1917 and indeed in 1991 revolutions don't always lead to an improvement.
  • Options
    73% of Britons, including 58% of Tory voters, think it is likely that Boris Johnson committed further COVID breaches than those he has already been investigated and fined for

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1661367216665681922/photo/1
  • Options
    wrt the chase it will be interesting to see what happens.

Yesterday passing Parliament Square on a Boris Bike at around 10pm there was a gang of bicycle riding what used to be called hoodlums or thugs (all hoodies and balaclava-ed up) riding all over the pavement, running red lights and generally whooping it up.

In what must be one of the most policed square 500 yards in the country. And on and over they went towards Victoria.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Yevgeny Prigozhin says that Russia’s objectives of "denazifying" and "demilitarising" Ukraine have failed miserably

"F*ck knows how, but we’ve militarised Ukraine!"

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1661301463442702336

It's rare you see a quote go directly from someone's mouth into the history books, but "Fuck knows how, but we’ve militarized Ukraine!" is gonna be in every writeup of this conflict.
    https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1661382488097267727
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,605
    A thread (from a partisan source) on why the latest IPSOS poll on SINDY may need to be taken with a pinch of salt:

https://twitter.com/themajorityscot/status/1661392073788891146?s=46&t=eiaG-Nju8t7zgfE3oCmAHA
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    TOPPING said:

Yesterday passing Parliament Square on a Boris Bike at around 10pm there was a gang of bicycle riding what used to be called hoodlums or thugs (all hoodies and balaclava-ed up) riding all over the pavement, running red lights and generally whooping it up.

In what must be one of the most policed square 500 yards in the country. And on and over they went towards Victoria.

It's the same everywhere. It's why "cyclists" as an encompassing term doesn't work any more.

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Europeans (attractive, no helmet, step through bike)
    Commuters (panniers)
    Balaclava gangs (steal mopeds)
    Deliveroo (roughly white van man)
    Cargo bikers (highly fertile, bucket full of kids)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    ping said:

ping said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

carnforth said:

We need more than 1 but it is a good start. Should help to keep some of Tata Steel open too.
    If they’re demanding to suck on the teat of the British Taxpayer, we should just nationalise them.

Or make a strategic decision to exit mass car-making altogether. Let the Chinese/Americans/Europeans/Koreans//Japanese compete to export their EV’s and spend the half a billion on universities etc to bet on creating the next ARM of car manufacturing. Or whatever.

Go up the value chain.

I don’t blame the mates of Rishi’s in-laws for taking the piss, but that’s precisely what we’re letting them do.

It’s in our national interest to tell Tata to go fuck themselves.

Politely.
    It’s not just direct taxpayer money. It’s being subsidised via our energy bills, too.

The poorest people in Britain - every time they top up their meter, money is now going to get siphoned off to subsidise these very wealthy foreigners.

Obscene.
    You mean we should day "ta-ta" to Tata.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

It's the same everywhere. It's why "cyclists" as an encompassing term doesn't work any more.

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Old maids biking to Holy Communion through the mists...
  • Options

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Vicious gangs of old maids in lycra, running red lights, chucking communion wine in the faces of Deliveroo riders to try to score a hit of sweet, sweet wafers.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Mamils
    Dura_ace types
    Commuters (panniers)
    Vicious gangs of old maids in lycra, running red lights, chucking communion wine in the faces of Deliveroo riders to try to score a hit of sweet, sweet wafers.
    Very soon it will be the traffic bollards.

Then Graham Chapman will announce it's got silly.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,806
    Nigelb said:

Yevgeny Prigozhin says that Russia’s objectives of "denazifying" and "demilitarising" Ukraine have failed miserably

It's rare you see a quote go directly from someone's mouth into the history books, but "Fuck knows how, but we’ve militarized Ukraine!" is gonna be in every writeup of this conflict.
    I mean, you can see why he wants to flatten all the high buildings in Bakhmut.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

They're still doing reaction videos? I thought that would have passed as a trend years ago.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939
    tlg86 said:

Selebian said:

tlg86 said:

I'm of the view that MRPs shouldn't be done outside of an election period (debateable as to when that starts, but certainly not yet).
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I’m warming to you. At Seventeen is an incredibly beautiful song.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,016

A thread (from a partisan source) on why the latest IPSOS poll on SINDY may need to be taken with a pinch of salt:

https://twitter.com/themajorityscot/status/1661392073788891146?s=46&t=eiaG-Nju8t7zgfE3oCmAHA

Accusing pollsters of being dodgy is it?

'Out of 104 polls since Mar 2021, IPSOS has higher results for YES than any other respected polling company. IPSOS and FIndOutNow (which no longer conducts politics polls) are the only polling companies to have EVER shown support for YES at over 50% #Dodgy @benatipsos'

Presumably they mean in that period as several pollsters have shown YES at over 50%.
    Wait till they find out about the only polling company to show NO at above 50% since Mar 2021.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I know how he's militarised Ukraine. Does that make me fuck?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Certainly some people will say anything.
    Like you?

What would you have wanted the police to do that night?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

This quote feels pretty unintentionally off message (even next to saying the main missions have failed), in comparing Ukrainian resistance as being akin to Russsian resistance to the Nazis in WW2.

[The Ukrainians] they feel very philosophically about the losses they are taking. For them, everything goes to reach the supreme goal, like us in the Great Patriotic War.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65696801

We need a coherent drugs policy, urgently.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This quote feels pretty unintentionally off message (even next to saying the main missions have failed), in comparing Ukrainian resistance as being akin to Russsian resisting Nazis in WW2.

[The Ukrainians] they feel very philosophically about the losses they are taking. For them, everything goes to reach the supreme goal, like us in the Great Patriotic War.
    So he's denazified them then? 50% success rate...
  • Options
    ping said:

Our drugs policy is a disaster.

What would be your undisastrous policy?
  • Options

ping said:

That was quite a smack down.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    What a wonderful, gloriously sunny, warm evening it is in north London. The Tories’ pathetic culture wars and fuck-shit-wank job on the economy suddenly seems a world away. Let the sun shine. Let the Chablis flow.

WE ARE EUROPEAN :)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,806
    edited May 2023
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

I am wondering whether what happened was not that the police van was chasing them but the boys who were killed thought it was? That would cover all eventualities.

I happen to know police vehicles in Staffordshire are forbidden to chase illegal motorbikes including electric ones unless they are specially trained and/or have helicopter support, precisely to avoid this kind of situation.

How do I know this? Because we have an absolute plague of the bastards here and I've been coordinating community complaints about them that did eventually lead to a crackdown (although one nearly cannoned into me today when he was riding at speed on the wrong side of the road I was driving on).

Also, it doesn't surprise me at all that they were killed. Two underage boys riding an illegal bike at high speed on unsuitable roads is just asking for trouble. Indeed, the real surprise is that they didn't kill somebody else as well.
    I quickly checked the original video to estimate speed, for my n own info, the police van traversed a garden of about 3 car widths in 0.4 seconds, suggesting both vehicles were doing somewhere around or just under 30 mph at that point. That may or may not be quite fast for that road on that c estate
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

What a wonderful, gloriously sunny, warm evening it is in north London. The Tories’ pathetic culture wars and fuck-shit-wank job on the economy suddenly seems a world away. Let the sun shine. Let the Chablis flow.

WE ARE EUROPEAN :)

Cant have everything then!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

That was quite a smack down.
    I'm unsure if that's a reply doused in a healthy supply of cynicism ... ;)

But to be serious: every drugs policy has issues. When someone complains about the current mess, it makes sense to ask if they have a coherent alternative. Because messy as it is, it could be *much* worse.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

ping said:

Looks to me like our current approach is the worst of all worlds.

We either need international agreement to go full on war on drugs, or go all in on regulated supply and treatment rooms etc.

• Options
    MINT JULEP!
  • Options

MINT JULEP!

And so it be gins.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,152
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

II posted this yesterday and it’s exactly what I think happened. I don’t believe police routinely pursue in vans, and I think the boys just assumed they were being chased.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    ydoethur said:

MINT JULEP!

And so it be gins.
    That's the Quinine!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,095
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

OK Boomer.
This discussion has been closed.