Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

So what will now happen in Scotland at the general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Leon said:

Emerald said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Having said that if you lived in fort william you would certainly notice it raining a lot. West highlands are a whole different ballgame.

Yes, Manchester gets a lot of, as you say, raindays, but not actually an excessive amount of rain. It's drier than Plymouth and considerably drier than Swansea and Glasgow.
    ISTR there are only around 50 days a year on which it's possible to see the top of Ben Nevis.
    The problem with NW England (and most of the British Isles) is not so much the rainfall - there are many many much rainier places - it is the lack of sunshine hours. Few places in the world are as grey and sunless as northern/western Britain. The Aleutian Islands maybe. That's about it

Manchester gets 1265 hours of sun a year (and it is worse further north)

Even Greenland is sunnier, even the Falkland Islands are sunnier. Even Reykjavik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_sunshine_duration
    But IN YOUR FACE Torshavn, Bergen and Tromso.

I do like a bit of sunshine. But order that list of cities by total yearly sunshine; there is a very inverse correlation between cities I would like to live in and amount of sunshine. I don't know whether that's just a human tendency to value what one has over what one could have or whether gloom and quality of life are both influenced by a third factor, or less probably, whether gloom promotes quality of life.
    Yes, who would want to live in sunny Barcelona, Rome, Lisbon or Lugano, when you can live in the year round dishcloth greyness of Stockport?

One noticeable oddity is the utter sunlessness of Lima, Peru: at 1230 hours it is even grimmer than Manchester, despite being near the equator and all that

I can vouch for this. I've spent a fair bit of time in Lima and the climate is horrifically depressing. Grey sea fogs half the year, and cloudy mild dankness the other half
    Also shows just how cloudy much of North and Central Europe is: Paris, Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Prague, Sarajevo etc - all fewer than 1,800 hours per year or roughly 5 per day.

All but 4 North American cities on that list are sunnier than any of those places.
    Yes, and you REALLY notice it

On my recent trip to Colorado, Utah and Arizona - three weeks of constantly moving - I experienced 1 and a half days of cloudiness. And it wasn't high summer

The one thing that might attract me to live in America is the sunshine. It is glorious
    This map is instructive:

It is incredible, the difference

Even European cities which we think of as southern and sunny - Biarritz, San Sebastian - get less sun than basically anywhere in the USA
    The Basque country is notoriously damp and mizzly though. I think the most arresting one is almost the whole of Italy, with its Mediterranean climate and dolce vita. Worse than most of the US.
    Yes, the French Riviera is sunnier than almost all of Italy.

That said, the French Riviera has probably the best climate of anywhere in the world.
    It's gorgeous but I'm not sure it is the absolute best. The Italian lakes, the Algarve, the Croatian coast down to Albania, much of coastal Greece, they are generally wet enough to be green but sunny enough to be mmmm

And it also depends if you want seasons, or you want to skip cold rainy winters altogether
    Surely the canary islands have the best climate in the world. Highs around 70 in winter 80 to 85 in summer with abundant sunshine year round.
    Certainly very pleasant if you pick the right spot on the right island. But a bit dry and desert like

My ideal climate would be nine months of consistent blue skies and warmth - 25-32C every day and warm enough to drink outside easily and comfortably in shirtsleeves. If it rains it is brief and usually at 4am. Then a month of a colourful wet autumn, a month of a sharp snowy winter, and a month of pretty spring

Of course this climate does not exist
    Caribbean is pretty much like that, but for 12 months. A hurricane every 4-5 years maybe.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    Nigelb said:

First graders at a Wisconsin school have been banned from singing “Rainbowland” by Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton at a concert after school officials said the song “could be deemed controversial”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1641055139543883776

Naturally, seeing as how Dolly Parton is the uncrowned Queen of Woke.

So how long before the wacked-out, Trumped-up governor and legislature of Tennessee vote to condemn this menace in their midst?

Note that back in 2021, these same anti-woke Wack-jobs wanted to erect a statue of Dolly Parton in the state capitol. An "honor" from this crowd that the lady wisely declined.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

The range of my Toyota hybrid is 570 miles - a bit less in the winter. I'd argue that it has less impact on the environment than any EV

Whatever type of car you buy the environment is taking a hit with the manufacture of the vehicle - no free lunch.

Is the best thing of all the keep your existing car for longer, whatever type it is?
    Depends on whether you are referring to the global or local environment. An old diesel driving through a built up area is not environmental from a local perspective by any means or definition.

On a global scale, there are petrolheads and reactionaries who argue that the mining of elements for batteries has the same impact or worse than the continued use of fossil fuel powered vehicles. This is tenuous in the extreme. the corollary of this weak argument is that we should forget making EVs. This would mean that the advances in battery technology that will inevitably come would be held up which would be madness.

Buy a Tesla
    They are for fannies only
    They are actually quite a handful to drive if you aren’t used to the power. Tap the accelerator a bit hard at the wrong moment….
  • Options

For clarification the present members of the CPTPP are

Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam

UK will make it 12

CPTPP has a combined GDP of 9 trillion and 500 million people in 2021

Our exports of goods and services to the EU are 5 times our exports of goods and services to this group of countries. Our exports to just one EU country (Germany) are of the same magnitude as our exports to all of these countries.
    We haven't joined yet
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

The range of my Toyota hybrid is 570 miles - a bit less in the winter. I'd argue that it has less impact on the environment than any EV

Whatever type of car you buy the environment is taking a hit with the manufacture of the vehicle - no free lunch.

Is the best thing of all the keep your existing car for longer, whatever type it is?
    Depends on whether you are referring to the global or local environment. An old diesel driving through a built up area is not environmental from a local perspective by any means or definition.

On a global scale, there are petrolheads and reactionaries who argue that the mining of elements for batteries has the same impact or worse than the continued use of fossil fuel powered vehicles. This is tenuous in the extreme. the corollary of this weak argument is that we should forget making EVs. This would mean that the advances in battery technology that will inevitably come would be held up which would be madness.

Buy a Tesla
    They are actually quite a handful to drive if you aren’t used to the power. Tap the accelerator a bit hard at the wrong moment….
    Can imagine , was aimed at that pompous arsewipe Foremain in reality. He probably drives a C1 Citroen in reality.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Can imagine , was aimed at that pompous arsewipe Foremain in reality. He probably drives a C1 Citroen in reality.
    Rent one for a week.

Launching off the lights is a bag of fun.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    I note Dickson near the Arctic Circle is the greyest place on that Wikipedia list.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

A violent psychopathic migrant to North Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65062565

We should be repatriating these criminals to their host country.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121

Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam

UK will make it 12

Our exports of goods and services to the EU are 5 times our exports of goods and services to this group of countries. Our exports to just one EU country (Germany) are of the same magnitude as our exports to all of these countries.
    We haven't joined yet
    I think you are in for disappointment.
  • Options

UK will make it 12

We haven't joined yet
    I think you are in for disappointment.
    I am content to take the benefits of both through EPC and CPTPP
  • Options
    EmeraldEmerald Posts: 55
    Heres one for Leon.

A prosperous society allows for luxury beliefs that are wrong and the believers don't die from incompetence because society saves them. After a while, society collapses because there are no objective consequenses to having wrong beliefs.
    2:49 PM · Mar 29, 2023
    ·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

https://twitter.com/scientist_rogue/status/1641075074517139458?s=20
  • Options

It’s the trolley boy from Hot Fuzz.

Send him back to Sandford.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

I am planning to keep my current SUV long term, it is very quick and would not like any faster, wife complains as it is.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

The straight-line performance of a 4wd EV is indeed very funny. In the US, they run Teslas and Taycans in drag races against McLarens and Bugattis.

Here’s a Tesla beating 10 seconds for the quarter mile. https://youtube.com/watch?v=2H0va02iIC4
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Lol. Great example of your level of literacy in that post Baldrick. *In reality* I imagine you struggle to afford a car at all on your little pension plus what Tesco pays you, assuming they haven't fired you for having an angry ugly face that looks like it has been recently smacked with a large haddock.
  • Options

A 21 stone thug from Essex dumped in England's colony.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

"Yarp!"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

I don't think there are any bureaucrats sitting in the Colonial Office allocating quotas of thugs to be sent to Wales.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    When I first read about the CPTPP, I immediately concluded that this is more an alliance against China than a free trade pact.

But that was not obvious to many American voters, and so, though American diplomats had much to do with its creation, by 2020 there was little chance we would join it. I am pleased to see the UK is being more sensible.
  • Options
    Emerald said:

Heres one for Leon.

A prosperous society allows for luxury beliefs that are wrong and the believers don't die from incompetence because society saves them. After a while, society collapses because there are no objective consequenses to having wrong beliefs.
    ·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

Leavers.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

I'm not sure that we have covered the Savanta poll which came out earlier today. Polling was end of last week

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention

📈16pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 45 (=)
    🌳Con 29 (-2)
    🔶LD 9 (=)
    ➡️Reform 4 (=)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 5 (=)

2,097 UK adults, 24-26 March

Wow! An enormous Yousef bounce at the expense of the Tories. Or could it just be MoE?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

I am planning to keep my current SUV long term, it is very quick and would not like any faster, wife complains as it is.
    I am not surprised your wife complains at you Shitty Under Vest. Did you go to the doctor complaining that your were shitting chips, only for him to point out you needed to pull your vest up a little bit more?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Britain secures agreement to join Indo-Pacific trade bloc
    The U.K. will be the first new nation to join the CPTPP since it was set up in 2018.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-secures-agreement-to-join-indo-pacific-trade-bloc/

Another success for Rishi, albeit a lot of the work was done under Johnson.
    If Britain's new global political orientation sticks, it will ultimately be Johnson's legacy: from Brexit, to AUKUS, to the CPTPP.
  • Options

I don't think there are any bureaucrats sitting in the Colonial Office allocating quotas of thugs to be sent to Wales.
    Correct.

They are in the Probation Service of England and Wales. (Scotland is organised differently).

English criminals routinely get sent to Wales (it is cheap). Here is one petty thief who was relocated to North Wales by the Probation Service of England and Wales,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_April_Jones
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447

Emerald said:

Heres one for Leon.

·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

Leavers.
    Vaccines.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

I think the SNP activists have made a choice that they prefer to be a "progressive", i.e. left wing party, rather than a national movement of both left and right. That more or less guarantees that voters who believe in liberal economics will have no reason to vote for them and businesses no reason to fund them, and equally voters who are left wing may choose to vote for an actual, "genuine", left wing party, i.e. Labour.

Independence as an issue has fallen in popularity, and the sense of the inevitability or even desirability of separation has fallen quite sharply (somewhat ironically, this seems to be a result of the negative impact of the Brexit separation).

The SNP was a political juggernaut, but a combination of bad judgement, an air of sleaze and real questions about the viability of independence seems set to give the party a significant knock back at the next GE, though FPTP might save several SNP MPs. Come the next Scottish Parliament elections however, the lack of funds and turmoil in the party´s organization, after the departure of Murell, not to mention growing personal and political divisions, as well as the passing of a political generation, could even see the Nats knocked out of power at Holyrood.

[cue: Ayrshire´s little ray of sunshine in total fulmination mode]

You have a high opinion of your perceptions but sadly lacking in reading of people and myself in particular. The desirability is still there but many realise it will not be the SNP that achieve it , certainly in current shape. Westminster is of no importance to Scotland, the deal is in Holyrood and likliehood is that people will bite their tongues and vote SNP / ALBA or ISP and so instead of loads of duff unionists getting the list seats , many will go to independence parties and give them a big majority. However the fly in the ointment is Useless and the old Murrells mafia who currently run the cartel. We shall see if they choose to live or die by the sword. Long time till 2026 if Useless avoids getting booted out.
    The first chance to kick these lowlifes is the foreign vote for Westminster.
    I think the SNP may well receive a gubbing at the next GE. But Holyrood in 2026 is a different kettle of fish. By then we'll be into a mid-term Starmer Govt which may well impact SLAB's chances and the SNP may have replaced Yousaf with someone electable. But really, who knows?
    I agree and think that is the way it will go. Key at Holyrood will be if the duffers vote SNP1/2 again and allow shedloads of unionists in or the idiots get over their ego's and use 2nd vote for an independence party. That was key re sturgeon having no interest in Independence last time as she promoted people to vote for unionists to get into Holyrood by urging people to waste their second vote on SNP.
    Maybe she went off the idea when she realised it was supported by two braincell turnip shagging little fascists like yourself?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Lol. Great example of your level of literacy in that post Baldrick. *In reality* I imagine you struggle to afford a car at all on your little pension plus what Tesco pays you, assuming they haven't fired you for having an angry ugly face that looks like it has been recently smacked with a large haddock.
    I see I must have been close to the mark given small penis syndrome man's response. Staying classy and intelligent as ever NOT.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

Guess the identity of the one single US President, in recent history, who has been entirely dismissive about UFOs/aliens. When all the others have made suggestive remarks, hints, policy decisions, implying that something IS out there

Yes, it's Donald Trump. As far as I can tell, Trump is the only one who has said Nah, it's all bollocks

MRDA
    Men's Roller Derby Association?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mandy_Rice-Davies_applies
    Does she tho?

Why would Trump be the ONLY American President not to drop hefty hints that Them Aliens Are Out There. Just coz he's contrary? Because he refuses to play the psy-ops game? Or because he's so mad the FBI and NASA won't show him the evidence there IS something out there?
    Because, as is becoming ever clearer with recent events, there is NOTHING out there. Nothing. Just misidentified birds, starts (out of focus as triangles), balloons etc. All those posters who said we were on the brink of a big revelation have been utterly wrong.
    So it was all a big psy-ops, or a hoax, or just a lot of politicians and intelligence bigwigs going a bit Cold War mad? Or what? A stunt to freak out the Chinese?

Genuine questions, btw. I have always focused on the strange behaviour of the American elite not the frankly dismal "evidence" of actual UFOs/UAPs
    Some folk involved with the Skinwalker nonsense (endless TV shows) and a few who have made a career our of bullshit (Luis Elizondo) etc and it caught the attention of a few senators who ought to know better. The military are quite happy to have 'threats' that keep the budget increasing.

The fact that people started seeing 'saucers' after Kenneth Arnold in 1947 was revealing - Arnold never said that he saw saucers, he said what he saw moved like saucers. And yet suddening people were reporting saucers.

Its a lovely idea that alien races have travelled to Earth and every now and again we catch sight of an alien space craft, sadly the evidence is damning that they haven't and we don't.

If you are ever interested in how a UFO flap can arise from nothing and be sustained for years, read 'In Alien Heat - The Warminster Mystery Revisited' by Steve Dewy and Joh n Ries.

https://amazon.co.uk/Alien-Heat-Warminster-Mystery-Revisited/dp/1933665025/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NF35PR0TF8X7&keywords=In+alien+heat&qid=1680103272&sprefix=in+alien+heat%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-1

Its a great book about the Warminster UFO story (if you don't know - huge UFO flap in the mid 1960's through to the mid 70's). The book is really about people and how flaps start and sustain. I have a personal interest because I am hugely into the Fortean and live in Warminster...
    There is a video somewhere about how the USAF was happy to encourage UFO reports at one of its "secret" bases to cover up the fact it was flying Soviet aircraft for training purposes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

I am not surprised your wife complains at you Shitty Under Vest. Did you go to the doctor complaining that your were shitting chips, only for him to point out you needed to pull your vest up a little bit more?
    Dear Dear , blood pressure gammon chops, take care.
  • Options

Revenge for you lot giving England Henry Tudor
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

I think the SNP activists have made a choice that they prefer to be a "progressive", i.e. left wing party, rather than a national movement of both left and right. That more or less guarantees that voters who believe in liberal economics will have no reason to vote for them and businesses no reason to fund them, and equally voters who are left wing may choose to vote for an actual, "genuine", left wing party, i.e. Labour.

Independence as an issue has fallen in popularity, and the sense of the inevitability or even desirability of separation has fallen quite sharply (somewhat ironically, this seems to be a result of the negative impact of the Brexit separation).

The SNP was a political juggernaut, but a combination of bad judgement, an air of sleaze and real questions about the viability of independence seems set to give the party a significant knock back at the next GE, though FPTP might save several SNP MPs. Come the next Scottish Parliament elections however, the lack of funds and turmoil in the party´s organization, after the departure of Murell, not to mention growing personal and political divisions, as well as the passing of a political generation, could even see the Nats knocked out of power at Holyrood.

You have a high opinion of your perceptions but sadly lacking in reading of people and myself in particular. The desirability is still there but many realise it will not be the SNP that achieve it , certainly in current shape. Westminster is of no importance to Scotland, the deal is in Holyrood and likliehood is that people will bite their tongues and vote SNP / ALBA or ISP and so instead of loads of duff unionists getting the list seats , many will go to independence parties and give them a big majority. However the fly in the ointment is Useless and the old Murrells mafia who currently run the cartel. We shall see if they choose to live or die by the sword. Long time till 2026 if Useless avoids getting booted out.
    I think the SNP may well receive a gubbing at the next GE. But Holyrood in 2026 is a different kettle of fish. By then we'll be into a mid-term Starmer Govt which may well impact SLAB's chances and the SNP may have replaced Yousaf with someone electable. But really, who knows?
    I agree and think that is the way it will go. Key at Holyrood will be if the duffers vote SNP1/2 again and allow shedloads of unionists in or the idiots get over their ego's and use 2nd vote for an independence party. That was key re sturgeon having no interest in Independence last time as she promoted people to vote for unionists to get into Holyrood by urging people to waste their second vote on SNP.
    Maybe she went off the idea when she realised it was supported by two braincell turnip shagging little fascists like yourself?
    Ha Ha Ha, burst a blood vessel yet loser. Take off those bicycle clips you silly boy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

kle4 said:

pb.com's high-performance team of experts on Scottish politics are in full flow.

Gods forbid people speculate on politics. As we all know, only those in or with deep connection to a place ever get things right about it.
    Well, with 84,088 posts, you obviously feel no great restriction. My rule of thumb is:

If total posts are between 25,000 to 50,000, then the poster's social life needs serious help.

If total posts exceed 50,000, then the poster needs serious help.
    Could well be.

Quantity not quality, that's my motto. I'm not asked to cook much.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

Dear Dear , blood pressure gammon chops, take care.
    "Barr's Malcolm-Bru. Made in Scotland from turnips."
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

So - we know what we have lost from single market/customs union membership. SO what will we gain from membership of CPTPP? I want specifics please.

New (and improved!) mega-Port of Pitcairn.

Which in turn will lead to massive increase in British exports, for example:

https://www.pitcairn-island-pipco.com/store/30-jar-pipco-honey-to-rest-of-the-world
  • Options

I'm not sure that we have covered the Savanta poll which came out earlier today. Polling was end of last week

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention

📈16pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 45 (=)
    🌳Con 29 (-2)
    🔶LD 9 (=)
    ➡️Reform 4 (=)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 5 (=)

2,097 UK adults, 24-26 March

Wow! An enormous Yousef bounce at the expense of the Tories. Or could it just be MoE?
    Despite the internal arguments, and Indy polling taking a dip, I think it looks like most SNP voters stayed put to wait things out?
  • Options

Emerald said:

Heres one for Leon.

·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

Leavers.
    Vaccines.
    Mornington Crescent?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305

UK will make it 12

Location, location, location.

Replacing the EU with CPTPP? It's like me switching my weekly "big" shop from Tesco, Bridgend to a corner shop in Inverness. Makes no economic or logistical sense whatsoever.
    It was all part of the Boris-Rules-the-Waves strategy - an attempt to show the public (or perhaps more importantly the ERG) that his brand of Brexit had actually achieved something. I doubt it will go anywhere, and in a few years we'll have the other members moaning that we're not pulling out weight.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited March 2023

UK will make it 12

Replacing the EU with CPTPP? It's like me switching my weekly "big" shop from Tesco, Bridgend to a corner shop in Inverness. Makes no economic or logistical sense whatsoever.
    This is a false dichotomy.

We have left the EU. That is the starting point from which we got the choice to join CPTPP or not to join it.

Do you have an argument why not joining it is the better choice?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

Ha Ha Ha, burst a blood vessel yet loser. Take off those bicycle clips you silly boy.
    Sorry I have the measure of you Malcolm. When you call people "loser" it is psychological projection. It is because you know that is what you have turned out to be in your sad old age. It is why you believe in the fairytale charter for losers called Scottish Nationalism. It is why you are soooo angry and generally rude to anyone who holds a different view, though this is, obviously also in part because you are really very very thick.

Get some therapy you sad angry little man.
  • Options

You never know - maybe the chaps who deal with the penal colonies are still rolling. Because someone forget to tell them….

I always like the illusion that “our people are better”

Reminds me of the time, here on PB, when I recounted the tale of my grandfather witnessing what was, in effect the lynching of a downed German pilot in WWII.

One of the nationalistic types commented that only the English would do something like that.

Has to break it to him that it was in his country…
  • Options

So - we know what we have lost from single market/customs union membership. SO what will we gain from membership of CPTPP? I want specifics please.

New (and improved!) mega-Port of Pitcairn.

Which in turn will lead to massive increase in British exports, for example:

https://www.pitcairn-island-pipco.com/store/30-jar-pipco-honey-to-rest-of-the-world
    Boy, I misread that last word at first.

Pure Pitcairn Honey collected from our Pitcairn Island Apiarist
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

@malcolmg seems to have been proved to be a reasonably reliable guide to Scottish politics, actually -- at least as judged from recent events.

It is curious that someone living in the country is way more reliable than a pb.com expert living hundreds of miles away.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567

UK will make it 12

And a fair chunk of those were covered by the EU deals with CPTPP countries anyway.

So the main product of this deal looks like being Remainer tears, real or imagined.

The implications of this don't bear thinking about.
    Good to see this coming through; pity it wasn't quicker.

I hope it Sunak's better attention to detail on it, rather than all the previous wavey hands.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

As a Scottish patriot surely it's a Hillman Imp or Shank's pony. You can't call your Hillman Imp an SUV, although that rear window is quite nifty.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447

Emerald said:

Heres one for Leon.

·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

Leavers.
    Vaccines.
    Mornington Crescent?
    This is the Lyttelton variation. I'm afraid you came in two stops too early.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

Sorry I have the measure of you Malcolm. When you call people "loser" it is psychological projection. It is because you know that is what you have turned out to be in your sad old age. It is why you believe in the fairytale charter for losers called Scottish Nationalism. It is why you are soooo angry and generally rude to anyone who holds a different view, though this is, obviously also in part because you are really very very thick.

The irony of the uneducated Buster Bloodvessel.
  • Options
    Driver said:

UK will make it 12

This is a false dichotomy.

We have left the EU. That is the starting point from which we got the choice to join CPTPP or not to join it.

Do you have an argument why not joining it is the better choice?
    No harm in joining as long as we are ready to leave if a better option materialises.
    The idea it will do anything material to improve out economic outlook is delusional though. We trade with the EU and the US, everything else is small beer. China and India might come to matter a bit at some point, but they're not in CPTPP and we seem to want to reduce out trade with China in any case.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    edited March 2023

Emerald said:

Heres one for Leon.

·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

Leavers.
    Vaccines.
    Mornington Crescent?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

As a Scottish patriot surely it's a Hillman Imp or Shank's pony. You can't call your Hillman Imp an SUV, although that rear window is quite nifty.
    Have to disappoint it is a German.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632

UK will make it 12

As @Jim_Miller says though, this is primarily geopolitical. It is indeed mainly about clubbing together to provide a viable AsPac alternative bloc to China and prevent the countries in the region being bullied. So long as Britain's involvement doesn't actively harm our trade with the EU or US then I'm all for it. It won't deliver us any meaningful trade benefits but it might help our soft power.

When considering the merits of a trade agreement you have to start from the current obstacles to bilateral trade. What are the main factors holding it back between the UK and a country or bloc? They might be regulatory or customs-related, they might be geographical / time-zone, language, visas, political alignment, or simply buyer-seller fit.

The main things holding back trade with the Pacific region are time zone and geography. Customs is less of an issue than it used to be. Immigration and free movement are not much of an obstacle considering the distances. Language isn't a big obstacle either, except to an extent with Japan and Korea. The biggest thing aside from geography is probably buyer-seller fit: are we making goods or services that they want, and vice versa? It's something Germany has mastered. We are getting there in financial services. That's not something a trade agreement is really designed to solve.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,940

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

First car I remember my parents having was a Hillman Hunter. I still fondly remember looking at the road whizzing by... through the holes in the rusted floor.
  • Options

When I first read about the CPTPP, I immediately concluded that this is more an alliance against China than a free trade pact.

But that was not obvious to many American voters, and so, though American diplomats had much to do with its creation, by 2020 there was little chance we would join it. I am pleased to see the UK is being more sensible.

Of course it is.

But American voters hate free trade even more than they hate China.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Buy a Tesla
    Rent one for a week.

First car I remember my parents having was a Hillman Hunter. I still fondly remember looking at the road whizzing by... through the holes in the rusted floor.
    That was what old newspapers used to be for
  • Options
    MattW said:

UK will make it 12

And a fair chunk of those were covered by the EU deals with CPTPP countries anyway.

So the main product of this deal looks like being Remainer tears, real or imagined.

I hope it Sunak's better attention to detail on it, rather than all the previous wavey hands.
    Sunak has signed the WF with the EU and generated a lot of goodwill in the EU, if not the DUP and is now about to take us into the CPTPP to which I do give Truss the credit for all the work she did as foreign secretary on it

For some the argument is the EU or CPTPP but not so as as we develop our relationship with the EU but cast our net worldwide

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

For on Street Chargers we need to avoid this type of thing (London), which is diabolical. They need to be in the road between the parking spaces.

Lots of flattened or dented chgargers?
    It needs something strong enough either side seriously to damage any car driven by a wombat who hits it. No more patience any more.

There was a weird one in Denmark Hill recently where a young mum drove her car into a cycle hangar and put her own baby in hospital in the accident. At 2:30pm in the afternoon.

Cycle hangar had replaced a parking space which would have had an SUV or similar in it. And the locals are blaming the dangerous cycle hangar.

https://southwarknews.co.uk/news/baby-hospitalised-in-collision-with-bike-hanger-that-council-was-warned-could-be-dangerous/
    Tom Scott's latest video is sort of on this subject. The end of the video is the most interesting bit wrt electric vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voYdl7IFZsM
    Yep.

The Dutch do that underground with their dustbins in cities
    https://youtu.be/0JtoSafhvLM?t=121
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Emerald said:

Heres one for Leon.

·
    Views

Woke perhaps??

Leavers.
    Vaccines.
    Mornington Crescent?
    I'm pretty sure the Trieste Protocol applies in this case though, given the time of day. And it is an odd-numbered year.
  • Options
    TimS said:

UK will make it 12

As @Jim_Miller says though, this is primarily geopolitical. It is indeed mainly about clubbing together to provide a viable AsPac alternative bloc to China and prevent the countries in the region being bullied. So long as Britain's involvement doesn't actively harm our trade with the EU or US then I'm all for it. It won't deliver us any meaningful trade benefits but it might help our soft power.
    There are other intangibles that don't quite fit in the 'soft power' bracket but can still have a beneficial economic effect.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

Sandford is in Dorset not Essex and Wales has its own Parliament unlike England and also elects MPs so is hardly a colony
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Fairbourne, maybe.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    @Survation
    NEW Westminster voting intention.

LAB 45% (-1)
    CON 31% (nc)
    LD 8% (nc)
    SNP 4% (nc)
    GRE 3% (+1)
    REF 4% (nc)
    OTH 5% (nc)

F/w 23-24 March. Changes vs. 17-20 March. Details:
    https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1641115283069730817?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

UK will make it 12

Odd how the Little Europeans go off on a meltdown when the big wide world of the CPTPP gets mentioned....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Buying ICE vehicles now is like buying analog film cameras 20 years ago. Soon the ICE for personal transport will be as obsolete as cassette tapes or CDs.

Analog (sic) film cameras are trendy right now, and CDs are still viable.

Cassette tapes are more niche
    Not the mass market by a long way, despite the hipster interest in vinyl.

Sure, ICE vehicles have some advantages still, particularly for rural areas. We have an ICE hybrid as well as an EV. Increasingly though EVs have the advantage. I think it will be my last ever ICE vehicle.

Currently EVs are 3% of the UK car fleet, but by Dec 22 had 30% of new sales. This is being driven by demand, and is only heading one way. The manufacturers see this too, which is why so much of the new design and engineering is centered on them, with ICE vehicle increasingly neglected.

There is an issue with any technological change of when to jump to the new tech, but as EV prices drop, practicality increases, and psychological barriers drop, it is only going one way.
    I largely agree. My reservation is how much the prices of EVs will drop. It's one of those things I've been waiting for for some time and doesn't appear to be happening...

Largely because demand greatly exceeds supply, so manufacturers have no incentive to make cheaper models.
    That will change in the next 3-5 years, looking at the number of factories being built now and in planning.

And both batteries and motors are steadily getting cheaper to make, alongside the increase in capacity.
    I will never have an electric car until they solve the charging issue ie having to wait to get to a charging point and. Then 40 mins for a half charge....I suspect I will have met my maker by then.
    You can do 10-80% in about 25 min on the latest chargers. To get to half should be a fraction of that - the charging is faster on an empty battery.
    Not what my pal tells me. They have had nightmares queuing and it's 40.mins min
    to charge his ev f pace
    HYUFD said:

Sandford is in Dorset not Essex and Wales has its own Parliament unlike England and also elects MPs so is hardly a colony
    Sandford is in Gloucestershire. Ask any copper.
  • Options

MattW said:

UK will make it 12

Sunak has signed the WF with the EU and generated a lot of goodwill in the EU, if not the DUP and is now about to take us into the CPTPP to which I do give Truss the credit for all the work she did as foreign secretary on it

For some the argument is the EU or CPTPP but not so as as we develop our relationship with the EU but cast our net worldwide

I see the two as complementary, and creating new and more balanced networks after Brexit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    TikTok Ban Would Put 53B Hours Of US Media Consumption On The Market
    https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1641113441665441792
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

The U.K. will be the first new nation to join the CPTPP since it was set up in 2018.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-secures-agreement-to-join-indo-pacific-trade-bloc/

Dare I say it, but CP-TPP membership was Liz Truss’s flagship project as trade minister and foreign secretary. Huzzah for Liz Truss!
    Fair comment and the fury from remainers on twitter is a sight to behold

Sunak taking us closer to Europe and Macron's EPC as supported by Truss, plus the announcement we are to join the CPTPP opens immense new trading possibilities and ends rejoining the EU as a practical proposition

Indeed in this weeks Deltapoll rejoin led by just 1% - 42/41
    Hardly ends rejoin. We would have to end our membership of CPTPP to rejoin just like we ended our prerential trade arrangements with the Commonwealth to join the Common Market. If the benefits of being in the EU SM were bigger than those of being in CPTPP - which they probably would be by a significant margin - I would assume we would happily switch.
    Unfortunately rejoining for those who want to rejoin the time is ebbing away as both the EPC and CPTPP point to the future of our trading relationships worldwide

This is not an either or argument it is the benefits of both
    Because as a country we are more likely to prosper by deepening service trade with our neighbours rather than trying to overcome economic gravity and comparative advantage at the same time.
    The latest polls show the numbers thinking 'Leave' was a mistake is now overwhelming. That coupled with the disgrace of those like Boris Johnson who led us in is likely to make holding the LEAVE line extremely difficult when the Tories are booted out. I'd expect Starmer with the support of all parts of the kingdom and all parties except for the rump Tory Party to put a lot of pressure on for a quick second referendum
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited March 2023
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Dare I say it, but CP-TPP membership was Liz Truss’s flagship project as trade minister and foreign secretary. Huzzah for Liz Truss!

Sunak taking us closer to Europe and Macron's EPC as supported by Truss, plus the announcement we are to join the CPTPP opens immense new trading possibilities and ends rejoining the EU as a practical proposition

Hardly ends rejoin. We would have to end our membership of CPTPP to rejoin just like we ended our prerential trade arrangements with the Commonwealth to join the Common Market. If the benefits of being in the EU SM were bigger than those of being in CPTPP - which they probably would be by a significant margin - I would assume we would happily switch.
    Unfortunately rejoining for those who want to rejoin the time is ebbing away as both the EPC and CPTPP point to the future of our trading relationships worldwide

Because as a country we are more likely to prosper by deepening service trade with our neighbours rather than trying to overcome economic gravity and comparative advantage at the same time.
    The latest polls show the numbers thinking 'Leave' was a mistake is now overwhelming. That coupled with the disgrace of those like Boris Johnson who led us in is likely to make holding the LEAVE line extremely difficult when the Tories are booted out. I'd expect Starmer with the support of all parts of the kingdom and all parties except for the rump Tory Party to put a lot of pressure on for a quick second referendum
    Guessing you missed Deltapoll yesterday?

(Oh, and obviously conflating "in hindsight mistake" figures with "would vote to rejoin" is a basic error, but you already know that so I assume you're doing it deliberately.)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited March 2023
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Yesterday's Deltapoll on rejoining the EU down to just 1% difference - 42%/41%

While numbers thinking leaving was a mistake, it is wrong to assume they want to rejoin

As I have posted for quite some time the future relationship with the EU is through Macron's EPC which meets in London next year

And Starmer suggesting a second referendum is as likely as him welcoming Corbyn as his deputy leader
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

Ireland elected MPs throughout the nineteenth century. It does not change the fact that Ireland was a colony, that Irish affairs and the Irish economy were subservient to British (primarily English) interests.

Wales had 40 (soon to be 32) MPs. They count for nothing in a 650 MP Parliament.

The drowning of Trywern happened despite every single Welsh MP (bar one) voting against it.

Wales is a colony.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    HYUFD said:

Nah it's in South Lanarkshire.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761
    edited March 2023
    Nigelb said:

More interesting to me in the tech wars is the call for a six month freeze in advanced AI development.

How can there be trust that rivals would respect such a freeze? What economic compensation could/should be offered to those we are asking not to undertake profitable innovation? Are the US and Chinese militaries likely to be developing their own AIs in parallel (or ahead of) what is commercially available?

I fear this ends badly as can see close to zero chance of an effective freeze or global agreement, and a high chance that an AI that is profitable in the short term but very damaging to the long term of humanity gets created at some point. Not sure if I'm just a modern day luddite though....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    One of her better performances.

Yvette Cooper shreds and shames Suella Braverman and Robert Jenrick in this 4 min speech. This is something spectacular to watch.

Jenrick's response? "Labour have no plan."

https://mobile.twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1641052493672067081
  • Options

UK will make it 12

I never understand this stick to the backyard argument.

For the EU the top 10 trading partners include China, Japan, South Korea and India.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Nah it's in South Lanarkshire.
    No, it's in Somerset as any fule kno.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ireland elected MPs throughout the nineteenth century. It does not change the fact that Ireland was a colony, that Irish affairs and the Irish economy were subservient to British (primarily English) interests.

Wales had 40 (soon to be 32) MPs. They count for nothing in a 650 MP Parliament.

The drowning of Trywern happened despite every single Welsh MP (bar one) voting against it.

Wales is a colony.
    Wales is a lovely place. We visit regularly for the best mountain biking in the UK. Wouldn't want to live there, as the Welsh are a pain in the arse, though!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Now the Windsor Framework is in place is there not an opportunity to improve on the rather thin deal we have with the EU? Might frequent travellers like Roger not have something to gain?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wales is a colony.
    Wales is a lovely place. We visit regularly for the best mountain biking in the UK. Wouldn't want to live there, as the Welsh are a pain in the arse, though!
    Wales is not only a lovely place but fantastic to be able to live there, especially in North Wales

The idea the Welsh are as you describe can be equally applied to some in each of our devolved nations and elsewhere
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461

Roger said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

While numbers thinking leaving was a mistake, it is wrong to assume they want to rejoin

As I have posted for quite some time the future relationship with the EU is through Macron's EPC which meets in London next year

And Starmer suggesting a second referendum is as likely as him welcoming Corbyn as his deputy leader
    Deltapoll are a bit... outliery at the moment, you have to acknowledge. And even that poll has Rejoin ahead of Stay Out.

The last time that Stay Out actually had a lead over Rejoin was April 2022, if I've read this right;

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/should-the-united-kingdom-join-the-european-union-or-stay-out-of-the-european-union/

It's not settled or substantial yet. But do you really think that, in the event that Stay Out remains a minority opinion, the county should stay out forever?

(Note, this isn't about whether the country should have that opinion, but how the government should respond if it turns out to be the opinion.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wales is a colony.
    Wales is not only a lovely place but fantastic to be able to live there, especially in North Wales

The idea the Welsh are as you describe can be equally applied to some in each of our devolved nations and elsewhere
    It's a bit of light hearted ribbing, old lad, don't take it too seriously.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@Survation

LAB 45% (-1)
    CON 31% (nc)
    LD 8% (nc)
    SNP 4% (nc)
    GRE 3% (+1)
    REF 4% (nc)
    OTH 5% (nc)

Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    A positive move, given the quality of much British TV?

It’s a question worthy of a great TV detective: can streamers like Netflix still guarantee a certain proportion of European content if the goalposts are suddenly moved to exclude hits like Sherlock and Doctor Who?

They may soon have to, as the European Commission is considering removing the U.K. from the list of countries recognized as providing “European” content, according to a policy paper seen by POLITICO. That would put broadcasters and streaming platforms in a tight spot, as the U.K. is among the biggest contributors to their European catalogs.

"The need to re-define the concept of European works has been raised in the context of Brexit. It is arguable that, since the U.K. is no longer a member of the EU, works originating in the U.K. should no longer be considered as European,” said the paper. It also raised the idea of cutting Switzerland from the scope of European works.

https://www.politico.eu/article/british-tv-netflix-european-content-lupin-vs-sherlock-british-series-face-eu-setback-post-brexit/

Sounds incredibly dumb, but does demonstrate my long held belief that people on both sides of the divide conflate the EU with Europe, when it is convenient to them.

Doens't sound like it will happen once they are done fact finding.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,660
    HYUFD said:

@Survation

LAB 45% (-1)
    CON 31% (nc)
    LD 8% (nc)
    SNP 4% (nc)
    GRE 3% (+1)
    REF 4% (nc)
    OTH 5% (nc)

Gold standard.
  • Options

Roger said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Deltapoll are a bit... outliery at the moment, you have to acknowledge. And even that poll has Rejoin ahead of Stay Out.

The last time that Stay Out actually had a lead over Rejoin was April 2022, if I've read this right;

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/should-the-united-kingdom-join-the-european-union-or-stay-out-of-the-european-union/

It's not settled or substantial yet. But do you really think that, in the event that Stay Out remains a minority opinion, the county should stay out forever?

(Note, this isn't about whether the country should have that opinion, but how the government should respond if it turns out to be the opinion.)
    Rejoin in yesterday's Deltapoll was 42/41 and frankly there is no major party other then the SNP promoting rejoining

As far as the future is concerned, especially now we are to join the CPTPP I just cannot see us rejoining the EU as we were, but do see the future relationship with the EU through the EPC
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Nigelb said:

More interesting to me in the tech wars is the call for a six month freeze in advanced AI development.

How can there be trust that rivals would respect such a freeze? What economic compensation could/should be offered to those we are asking not to undertake profitable innovation? Are the US and Chinese militaries likely to be developing their own AIs in parallel (or ahead of) what is commercially available?

I fear this ends badly as can see close to zero chance of an effective freeze or global agreement, and a high chance that an AI that is profitable in the short term but very damaging to the long term of humanity gets created at some point. Not sure if I'm just a modern day luddite though....
    The freeze idea is utterly nonsensical. The horse has bolted. It won't make any practical difference now, there are too many different groups in too many different places to freeze development. I think the call for a freeze will likely spur on development if it does anything.

If you want to stop AI development you had better hurry up and develop time travel.
  • Options
    MattW said:

UK will make it 12

For the EU the top 10 trading partners include China, Japan, South Korea and India.
    I'd understand an argument its no substitute, or being in both would be possible, but there seems a lot of just rubbishing what looks like something rather dull, if important.
  • Options
    MattW said:

UK will make it 12

Invalid comparison. That doesn't allow for trade *within* the EU. Which, for the UK, was and will be much larger than with the CPTPP.
  • Options

Now the Windsor Framework is in place is there not an opportunity to improve on the rather thin deal we have with the EU? Might frequent travellers like Roger not have something to gain?

Yes - this

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/trusss-yes-boosts-macrons-new-european-forum-initiative-2022-10-03/
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    MattW said:

UK will make it 12

Its the eu is wonderful people making it. Same as we cut fom and we have a poster who liked it saying we cant automate soft fruit picking last night and then when shown links saying actually we can going to the yes but its too expensive route because they would rather have an excuse to bring in min wage workers
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wales is a colony.
    Not least because the Senedd can be shut down at any moment if the London Tories decide to do so. Powers "devolved" are not truly handed over.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

UK will make it 12

Invalid comparison. That doesn't allow for trade *within* the EU. Which, for the UK, was and will be much larger than with the CPTPP.
    It also flags up the lie that EU membership was stopping the UK trading with the rest of the world.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It’s a question worthy of a great TV detective: can streamers like Netflix still guarantee a certain proportion of European content if the goalposts are suddenly moved to exclude hits like Sherlock and Doctor Who?

They may soon have to, as the European Commission is considering removing the U.K. from the list of countries recognized as providing “European” content, according to a policy paper seen by POLITICO. That would put broadcasters and streaming platforms in a tight spot, as the U.K. is among the biggest contributors to their European catalogs.

"The need to re-define the concept of European works has been raised in the context of Brexit. It is arguable that, since the U.K. is no longer a member of the EU, works originating in the U.K. should no longer be considered as European,” said the paper. It also raised the idea of cutting Switzerland from the scope of European works.

https://www.politico.eu/article/british-tv-netflix-european-content-lupin-vs-sherlock-british-series-face-eu-setback-post-brexit/

Sounds incredibly dumb, but does demonstrate my long held belief that people on both sides of the divide conflate the EU with Europe, when it is convenient to them.

So eu nationals get crapper tv and we care why?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    kle4 said:

Being forced into this scheme didn't really hurt us, when we were in the EU, because it could be satisfied with little or no change. But imagine being a worldly, english-speaking Swede, paying a Netflix subscription to watch US and UK and Korean dramas, and being force-fed obscure European stuff.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

UK will make it 12

It also flags up the lie that EU membership was stopping the UK trading with the rest of the world.
    Could we have signed with CPTPP while in the EU? I believe the answer is no
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So you're not considered European unless you're in the EU?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Nigelb said:

No you’re absolutely right. Trying to stop AI now is like trying to stop the Manhattan project in about 1944 and just hoping Hitler or Stalin won’t simply carry on and make the bomb. And then defeat us completely

It’s too late now. We have to complete the journey

And as you say there is no guarantee the US government/military wouldn’t continue development anyway. Just keep it out of the hands of the people

All we can do is advance from here. And pray. And the UK should be exploiting its relative advantage
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

So eu nationals get crapper tv and we care why?
    I'm interested in foolish proposals wherever they occur.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Wales is a colony.
    Not least because the Senedd can be shut down at any moment if the London Tories decide to do so. Powers "devolved" are not truly handed over.
    So there are no steps in between 'colony' and 'independence' then?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

The irony of the uneducated Buster Bloodvessel.
    Oh dear, more psychological projection from Malcolm. Were you not educated in "The University of Life" I seem to remember you saying lol? That is the university that so often puts out poor performance, of which you are clearly a prime example.

Malcolm, I am delighted you are on this platform. You underline the average nationalist (or should I say mean): uneducated, unpleasant, unhinged, unintelligent, unloved, underperforming and unhappy.

Have a pleasant evening arguing with your wife. I should feel sorry for you, but I can't ever feel sorry for an obnoxious fascist c*nt.
  • Options
    This is a level of pettiness and revenge I applaud.

I stand to be corrected, but not sure any MSP who voted for Kate Forbes will be in the Government

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1641129533922328587
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

No you’re absolutely right. Trying to stop AI now is like trying to stop the Manhattan project in about 1944 and just hoping Hitler or Stalin won’t simply carry on and make the bomb. And then defeat us completely

It’s too late now. We have to complete the journey

And as you say there is no guarantee the US government/military wouldn’t continue development anyway. Just keep it out of the hands of the people

All we can do is advance from here. And pray. And the UK should be exploiting its relative advantage
    Yep, the genie is out of the bottle.

Musk, Woz, and the other signatories might be right that it’s scary as hell, but it’s too late for that now, and China certainly isn’t going to slow down any time soon.
This discussion has been closed.