Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

So what will now happen in Scotland at the general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Sandpit said:

A looming British ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars was thrown into chaos on Tuesday after Brussels watered down its own restrictions amid opposition from the German auto industry.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/03/28/net-zero-ban-petrol-cars-chaos-brussels-climbdown/ (£££)

How useless is Boris that he could not get a decent Brexit agreement even though it is now confirmed that German car makers really do run Europe?

Hilarious that our pathetic Government is still so beholden to the EU that we were following their ban anyway.
    This was Carrie’s Johnson’s idea to be seen as more green than the EU.
    Fossil fuel vehicles are to be phased out throughout the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles
    Indeed so, but with the UK in the vanguard, for reasons that objectively don’t make sense, especially given the number of manufacturers, mostly small companies making sports cars, in the country.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    edited March 2023
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Having said that if you lived in fort william you would certainly notice it raining a lot. West highlands are a whole different ballgame.

Yes, Manchester gets a lot of, as you say, raindays, but not actually an excessive amount of rain. It's drier than Plymouth and considerably drier than Swansea and Glasgow.
    ISTR there are only around 50 days a year on which it's possible to see the top of Ben Nevis.
    The problem with NW England (and most of the British Isles) is not so much the rainfall - there are many many much rainier places - it is the lack of sunshine hours. Few places in the world are as grey and sunless as northern/western Britain. The Aleutian Islands maybe. That's about it

Manchester gets 1265 hours of sun a year (and it is worse further north)

Even Greenland is sunnier, even the Falkland Islands are sunnier. Even Reykjavik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_sunshine_duration
    But IN YOUR FACE Torshavn, Bergen and Tromso.

I do like a bit of sunshine. But order that list of cities by total yearly sunshine; there is a very inverse correlation between cities I would like to live in and amount of sunshine. I don't know whether that's just a human tendency to value what one has over what one could have or whether gloom and quality of life are both influenced by a third factor, or less probably, whether gloom promotes quality of life.
    Yes, who would want to live in sunny Barcelona, Rome, Lisbon or Lugano, when you can live in the year round dishcloth greyness of Stockport?

One noticeable oddity is the utter sunlessness of Lima, Peru: at 1230 hours it is even grimmer than Manchester, despite being near the equator and all that

I can vouch for this. I've spent a fair bit of time in Lima and the climate is horrifically depressing. Grey sea fogs half the year, and cloudy mild dankness the other half
    Also shows just how cloudy much of North and Central Europe is: Paris, Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Prague, Sarajevo etc - all fewer than 1,800 hours per year or roughly 5 per day.

All but 4 North American cities on that list are sunnier than any of those places.

Shows the difference between a landmass where a range of mountains faces the oceanic west coast and the seawater is relatively cold, and one where a huge low lying plain allows oceanic air from an unusually warm sea to permeate thousands of miles into the interior.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Having said that if you lived in fort william you would certainly notice it raining a lot. West highlands are a whole different ballgame.

Yes, Manchester gets a lot of, as you say, raindays, but not actually an excessive amount of rain. It's drier than Plymouth and considerably drier than Swansea and Glasgow.
    ISTR there are only around 50 days a year on which it's possible to see the top of Ben Nevis.
    The problem with NW England (and most of the British Isles) is not so much the rainfall - there are many many much rainier places - it is the lack of sunshine hours. Few places in the world are as grey and sunless as northern/western Britain. The Aleutian Islands maybe. That's about it

Even Greenland is sunnier, even the Falkland Islands are sunnier. Even Reykjavik

I do like a bit of sunshine. But order that list of cities by total yearly sunshine; there is a very inverse correlation between cities I would like to live in and amount of sunshine. I don't know whether that's just a human tendency to value what one has over what one could have or whether gloom and quality of life are both influenced by a third factor, or less probably, whether gloom promotes quality of life.
    Yes, who would want to live in sunny Barcelona, Rome, Lisbon or Lugano, when you can live in the year round dishcloth greyness of Stockport?

One noticeable oddity is the utter sunlessness of Lima, Peru: at 1230 hours it is even grimmer than Manchester, despite being near the equator and all that

I can vouch for this. I've spent a fair bit of time in Lima and the climate is horrifically depressing. Grey sea fogs half the year, and cloudy mild dankness the other half
    Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdw_OCvy0WY

It's largely a function of being on the west coast, with hills behind. Prevailing damp winds lead to cloud.

Slightly surprised by how sunny Switzerland seems though.

If I could choose a climate, it would probably be Yorkshire's. Specifically, the Yorkshire Dales. It's quite instructive to travel from North Lancashire to North Yorkshire; you can tell when you cross the county boundary (near enough) because the tone of green changes from North Lancashire's deep dark green to North Yorkshire's more subtley beige hues - largely due to the difference in rainfall.
    But hey, NW England is pretty damn good too. When I was a child we used to fly often to the south coast of Spain. My favourite bit of the holiday would be descending through the clouds above Manchester Airport and the vivid lushness of everywhere after a week in Spain. Made you feel good to be home.
    Just to blow Stockport's trumpet again, the media over the past year have been full of articles about how brilliant it is. Everyone's moving there. @Leon will be trading Bloomsbury for Heaton Moor within 12 months, I'm sure.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stockport-lancashire-best-place-to-live-uk-2023-dx5c3vk20

(Though the 'Lancashire' in that URL rankles slightly.)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Also shows just how cloudy much of North and Central Europe is: Paris, Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Prague, Sarajevo etc - all fewer than 1,800 hours per year or roughly 5 per day.

All but 4 North American cities on that list are sunnier than any of those places.
    Yes, and you REALLY notice it

On my recent trip to Colorado, Utah and Arizona - three weeks of constantly moving - I experienced 1 and a half days of cloudiness. And it wasn't high summer

The one thing that might attract me to live in America is the sunshine. It is glorious
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    First graders at a Wisconsin school have been banned from singing “Rainbowland” by Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton at a concert after school officials said the song “could be deemed controversial”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1641055139543883776
  • Options
    Emerald said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Amazingly Lima is on the same latitude as Bangkok yet couldnt have a more different climate. It is more like a grey and depressing Los Angeles.
    Lima also has a massive crime problem, and a lot of ugly slums. Not a great place

You can see why the Incas chose Cusco for their capital: 2335 hours of annual sun, 1000 more than Lima
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2023
    Nigelb said:

First graders at a Wisconsin school have been banned from singing “Rainbowland” by Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton at a concert after school officials said the song “could be deemed controversial”

What with that and the fuss about Michelangelo's David, right-wing snowflakery in the US is getting absurd.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Indeed.

Big contrasts in Switzerland because of the Alps and Jura. North of the mountains - e.g. in Zurich - the sunshine hours are terrible, worse than London. In the Ticino on the rain shadow of the full range, and even more so in the upper Rhone Valley (Sion) which is shadowed on both sides by the Bernese Oberland and Pennine Alps, it's very sunny.

Amazing contrast if you're driving from Interlaken on the North slopes to say Brig in the upper Rhone. Dark looming forests, lush green pastures, often grey skies, then over the top and it's parched yellow grassland, steep vineyards and the humming of crickets.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Leon said:

Emerald said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Amazingly Lima is on the same latitude as Bangkok yet couldnt have a more different climate. It is more like a grey and depressing Los Angeles.
    Lima also has a massive crime problem, and a lot of ugly slums. Not a great place

You can see why the Incas chose Cusco for their capital: 2335 hours of annual sun, 1000 more than Lima
    Plus their fitbit scores were fantastic. So many stairs.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,934
    Nigelb said:

I remember the glory days of the early 2000’s when Americans defined themselves by how different they were to the Taliban.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A looming British ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars was thrown into chaos on Tuesday after Brussels watered down its own restrictions amid opposition from the German auto industry.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/03/28/net-zero-ban-petrol-cars-chaos-brussels-climbdown/ (£££)

How useless is Boris that he could not get a decent Brexit agreement even though it is now confirmed that German car makers really do run Europe?

Hilarious that our pathetic Government is still so beholden to the EU that we were following their ban anyway.
    This was Carrie’s Johnson’s idea to be seen as more green than the EU.
    Fossil fuel vehicles are to be phased out throughout the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles
    Indeed so, but with the UK in the vanguard, for reasons that objectively don’t make sense, especially given the number of manufacturers, mostly small companies making sports cars, in the country.
    Surely it makes sense to quickly develop a home market for EVs so as to encourage the manufacture of EVs in this country. Otherwise there's a danger of being left behind as the world switches over.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

On my recent trip to Colorado, Utah and Arizona - three weeks of constantly moving - I experienced 1 and a half days of cloudiness. And it wasn't high summer

The one thing that might attract me to live in America is the sunshine. It is glorious
    This map is instructive:

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    New First Minister Humza Yousaf has turned the Health Secretary role (his job until this week) into the NHS Recovery and Health Secretary role

Not sure that's a great reflection on his legacy

https://twitter.com/chrismusson/status/1641073954608627714
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Better beer? Though I'm looking out of my Stopfordian window at blue skies atm.

Agree on Lima; it's a grim old scene there.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Buying ICE vehicles now is like buying analog film cameras 20 years ago. Soon the ICE for personal transport will be as obsolete as cassette tapes or CDs.

Analog (sic) film cameras are trendy right now, and CDs are still viable.

Cassette tapes are more niche
    Not the mass market by a long way, despite the hipster interest in vinyl.

Sure, ICE vehicles have some advantages still, particularly for rural areas. We have an ICE hybrid as well as an EV. Increasingly though EVs have the advantage. I think it will be my last ever ICE vehicle.

Currently EVs are 3% of the UK car fleet, but by Dec 22 had 30% of new sales. This is being driven by demand, and is only heading one way. The manufacturers see this too, which is why so much of the new design and engineering is centered on them, with ICE vehicle increasingly neglected.

There is an issue with any technological change of when to jump to the new tech, but as EV prices drop, practicality increases, and psychological barriers drop, it is only going one way.
    I largely agree. My reservation is how much the prices of EVs will drop. It's one of those things I've been waiting for for some time and doesn't appear to be happening...

Largely because demand greatly exceeds supply, so manufacturers have no incentive to make cheaper models.
    That will change in the next 3-5 years, looking at the number of factories being built now and in planning.

And both batteries and motors are steadily getting cheaper to make, alongside the increase in capacity.
    At some point HM Treasury is going to want to tax EVs harder, whether that's by killing the BIK tax incentives or by increasing "road tax" or by adding duty to electric charging like it does to ICE fuels, or all 3. The current tax treatment of EV purchase and use is not sustainable, surely ?
    Charge for miles traveled is the most talked about replacement (and probably the most practical).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60251046.amp

As it involves charging identifiable vehicles, you could also graduate it between luxury and cheap vehicles (or heavy and light ones), which might appeal to some political opinion.

Though doubtless they'll muck around with VED, too.
    Sorry to resurrect this but the article you linked to is interesting. £35bn of Treasury revenue from road tax and fuel duty currently. That's a big enough hole to fill, but the article doesn't even cover the problem of much lower BIK rates on EVs. BIK on ICE vehicles must average, what, £2-3k per affected employee ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Indeed.

It's largely a function of being on the west coast, with hills behind. Prevailing damp winds lead to cloud.

If I could choose a climate, it would probably be Yorkshire's. Specifically, the Yorkshire Dales. It's quite instructive to travel from North Lancashire to North Yorkshire; you can tell when you cross the county boundary (near enough) because the tone of green changes from North Lancashire's deep dark green to North Yorkshire's more subtley beige hues - largely due to the difference in rainfall.
    But hey, NW England is pretty damn good too. When I was a child we used to fly often to the south coast of Spain. My favourite bit of the holiday would be descending through the clouds above Manchester Airport and the vivid lushness of everywhere after a week in Spain. Made you feel good to be home.
    Just to blow Stockport's trumpet again, the media over the past year have been full of articles about how brilliant it is. Everyone's moving there. @Leon will be trading Bloomsbury for Heaton Moor within 12 months, I'm sure.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stockport-lancashire-best-place-to-live-uk-2023-dx5c3vk20

Not sure is whoever wrote that has been down the Chestergate on a Friday night. Stocky is still rum.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

What with that and the fuss about Michelangelo's David, right-wing snowflakery in the US is getting absurd.
    I quite like it though. For a few years the world has been a bit topsy turvy: hedonistic libertarians on the right, puritan roundheads on the left. It feels like nature is healing and we're reverting back to normal, led by our US friends.

Normality should involve hedonistic young lefties rebelling against buttoned up elderly conservatives who disapprove of that kind of thing. Like the 1950s and 60s.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Indeed.

Big contrasts in Switzerland because of the Alps and Jura. North of the mountains - e.g. in Zurich - the sunshine hours are terrible, worse than London. In the Ticino on the rain shadow of the full range, and even more so in the upper Rhone Valley (Sion) which is shadowed on both sides by the Bernese Oberland and Pennine Alps, it's very sunny.

Amazing contrast if you're driving from Interlaken on the North slopes to say Brig in the upper Rhone. Dark looming forests, lush green pastures, often grey skies, then over the top and it's parched yellow grassland, steep vineyards and the humming of crickets.
    I know that contrast well. It's especially vivid if you go via the newish train tunnel from Zurich to Ticino. You enter the tunnel in that dark grey greenness, like a slightly warmer Yorkshire or Cumbria, you exit the tunnel into Mediterranean light. I know which I prefer
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Is there a generational change in how much people care whether it's sunny or not? As young people become more and more urban and more and more online, do they care much what it's like out there, apart from merely keeping warm enough not to need to switch the heating on? I know we all say it's very important to have long walks and lots of fresh air etc., but how many actually do it?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Indeed.

Most Stopfordians I know would object more to the headline than to the URL.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    On TSE’s “Royal snub”:

it is thought to be a tacit gesture of compromise to keep the peace in his fractious ruling coalition, so that each of the three parties will receive its share of the limelight at a separate royal event.

A spokesman for the German government said that the chancellor did not normally take part in bilateral state banquets but was “looking forward to welcoming King Charles III for a conversation in person
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Certainly shows why when "Minnie" decided she wanted to move to the coast I insisted on the south coast...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

A new bill in Florida would require immediate removal of K-12 materials facing objections on sexual grounds *before any evaluative process vets the complaints.*

This is the next step. It will lead to many more book bans on the weakest of pretexts:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1641043830072901632

There goes the Old Testament.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

It makes a bit more sense when you realise Lisbon is on the same latitude as New York but even allowing for this there is still a big difference, caused almost entirely by 2 factors: the lack of a West coast mountain range in Europe and the North Atlantic Drift.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

Is there a generational change in how much people care whether it's sunny or not? As young people become more and more urban and more and more online, do they care much what it's like out there, apart from merely keeping warm enough not to need to switch the heating on? I know we all say it's very important to have long walks and lots of fresh air etc., but how many actually do it?
    A couple of weeks ago I started getting up early to go for a walk before work, because I wasn't getting enough time to do it at lunchtime and never felt like it in the evening. Hopefully it helps.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

It is incredible, the difference

Even European cities which we think of as southern and sunny - Biarritz, San Sebastian - get less sun than basically anywhere in the USA
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

Guess the identity of the one single US President, in recent history, who has been entirely dismissive about UFOs/aliens. When all the others have made suggestive remarks, hints, policy decisions, implying that something IS out there

Yes, it's Donald Trump. As far as I can tell, Trump is the only one who has said Nah, it's all bollocks

MRDA
    Men's Roller Derby Association?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mandy_Rice-Davies_applies
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Buying ICE vehicles now is like buying analog film cameras 20 years ago. Soon the ICE for personal transport will be as obsolete as cassette tapes or CDs.

Sure, ICE vehicles have some advantages still, particularly for rural areas. We have an ICE hybrid as well as an EV. Increasingly though EVs have the advantage. I think it will be my last ever ICE vehicle.

Currently EVs are 3% of the UK car fleet, but by Dec 22 had 30% of new sales. This is being driven by demand, and is only heading one way. The manufacturers see this too, which is why so much of the new design and engineering is centered on them, with ICE vehicle increasingly neglected.

There is an issue with any technological change of when to jump to the new tech, but as EV prices drop, practicality increases, and psychological barriers drop, it is only going one way.
    I largely agree. My reservation is how much the prices of EVs will drop. It's one of those things I've been waiting for for some time and doesn't appear to be happening...

Largely because demand greatly exceeds supply, so manufacturers have no incentive to make cheaper models.
    That will change in the next 3-5 years, looking at the number of factories being built now and in planning.

And both batteries and motors are steadily getting cheaper to make, alongside the increase in capacity.
    At some point HM Treasury is going to want to tax EVs harder, whether that's by killing the BIK tax incentives or by increasing "road tax" or by adding duty to electric charging like it does to ICE fuels, or all 3. The current tax treatment of EV purchase and use is not sustainable, surely ?
    Charge for miles traveled is the most talked about replacement (and probably the most practical).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60251046.amp

As it involves charging identifiable vehicles, you could also graduate it between luxury and cheap vehicles (or heavy and light ones), which might appeal to some political opinion.

Though doubtless they'll muck around with VED, too.
    Sorry to resurrect this but the article you linked to is interesting. £35bn of Treasury revenue from road tax and fuel duty currently. That's a big enough hole to fill, but the article doesn't even cover the problem of much lower BIK rates on EVs. BIK on ICE vehicles must average, what, £2-3k per affected employee ?
    It's hard to argue that the tax incentives for EVs can only be very temporary.
    Though if course they'll get reversed at the same time as EV costs drop significantly.

Net/net everyone ought eventually to be better off, as they are cheaper to run nonetheless.

But the current bribes to the wealthy to be early adopters will indeed disappear - having done their job.
  • Options
    EmeraldEmerald Posts: 55
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Even European cities which we think of as southern and sunny - Biarritz, San Sebastian - get less sun than basically anywhere in the USA
    Most people wouldnt realise NE USA is as sunny as Italy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Britain secures agreement to join Indo-Pacific trade bloc
    The U.K. will be the first new nation to join the CPTPP since it was set up in 2018.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-secures-agreement-to-join-indo-pacific-trade-bloc/

Another success for Rishi, albeit a lot of the work was done under Johnson.
    Dare I say it, but CP-TPP membership was Liz Truss’s flagship project as trade minister and foreign secretary. Huzzah for Liz Truss!
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

I don't think we've moved inside to quite that extent! Young people in my experience still like the opportunity to get outside and enjoy a sunny day. Even in cities. Visit any urban park on a sunny day and see.
  • Options
    One response to the US opioid crisis.

The FDA has approved the overdose-reversing drug Narcan for over-the-counter sales
    https://www.npr.org/2023/03/29/1166750095/narcan-fda-approval-naloxone-over-the-counter-otc
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

The numbers of young Britons who eagerly flee to sunny Med resorts in the summer suggests you might be wrong? Most people prefer warmth and light to the opposite

Although I admit I an extreme case of sun-worship. Rather late in life I have realised I actually do get SAD - the disorder. It's a real thing and it is nasty. Lockdown 3 when we all had to stay home in Britain all winter (the first time I'd done that in decades) rammed it home

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,934
    Nigelb said:

One response to the US opioid crisis.

The FDA has approved the overdose-reversing drug Narcan for over-the-counter sales
    https://www.npr.org/2023/03/29/1166750095/narcan-fda-approval-naloxone-over-the-counter-otc

I guess they’ve taken the idea from the gun lobby who insist that if everyone carries guns/narcan then anyone who goes on a gun rampage/overdose can be dealt with by good upstanding passers by. Easier than stopping the guns/opioids.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

A couple of weeks ago I started getting up early to go for a walk before work, because I wasn't getting enough time to do it at lunchtime and never felt like it in the evening. Hopefully it helps.
    I was briefly doing that.
    However, the hour change has completely wiped me out! Really struggling to wake up much before new 7.30.
    This happens every year. Takes me weeks to get over the clocks going forward.

That said, the clock in my car is now right. My indolence has paid off!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272

Nigelb said:

They've been absurd for some time. The significant thing now is that they're achieving more success in applying that absurdity to law, schools, etc.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

New First Minister Humza Yousaf has turned the Health Secretary role (his job until this week) into the NHS Recovery and Health Secretary role

Not sure that's a great reflection on his legacy

https://twitter.com/chrismusson/status/1641073954608627714

Angela Constance, who has been Minister for Drug policy since 2020, is the new Justice Minister. Yet another case of falling upwards given the catastrophic position Scotland remains in with drug deaths. That said, almost anyone would be an improvement on Keith Brown.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

Guess the identity of the one single US President, in recent history, who has been entirely dismissive about UFOs/aliens. When all the others have made suggestive remarks, hints, policy decisions, implying that something IS out there

Yes, it's Donald Trump. As far as I can tell, Trump is the only one who has said Nah, it's all bollocks

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Why would Trump be the ONLY American President not to drop hefty hints that Them Aliens Are Out There. Just coz he's contrary? Because he refuses to play the psy-ops game? Or because he's so mad the FBI and NASA won't show him the evidence there IS something out there?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

The numbers of young Britons who eagerly flee to sunny Med resorts in the summer suggests you might be wrong? Most people prefer warmth and light to the opposite

Although I admit I an extreme case of sun-worship. Rather late in life I have realised I actually do get SAD - the disorder. It's a real thing and it is nasty. Lockdown 3 when we all had to stay home in Britain all winter (the first time I'd done that in decades) rammed it home

There was actually a window of opportunity to fly abroad in December.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

The U.K. will be the first new nation to join the CPTPP since it was set up in 2018.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-secures-agreement-to-join-indo-pacific-trade-bloc/

Dare I say it, but CP-TPP membership was Liz Truss’s flagship project as trade minister and foreign secretary. Huzzah for Liz Truss!
    Another Trumpist Brexiteer lie. Everybody knows that we will be the world's outcast once we leave the EU and nobody will want anything to do with us.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited March 2023
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Why would Trump be the ONLY American President not to drop hefty hints that Them Aliens Are Out There. Just coz he's contrary? Because he refuses to play the psy-ops game? Or because he's so mad the FBI and NASA won't show him the evidence there IS something out there?
    Surely you realise the whole thing is an infantile hoax by now? Why on earth would aliens have travelled light years to earth to annoy the US Navy with some light blobs? Complete cringe.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited March 2023
    Coronation fever builds...

* The king's second son gives witness statement in court.
    * France says keep the hell out, mort au roi.
    * Chair of UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination calls on the royal family to pay reparations for slavery.

But wait...

* if you visit the Abbey you may be allowed to walk on the Cosmati Pavement if you take your shoes off,
    * and the indications are that not all of their lordships will wear coronets at the crowning ceremony.

Tugs forelock.

Any clarity yet on

* whether the Stone of Scone will be returned to the Abbey for the occasion?
    * whether Prince Andrew will attend?

There should be some betting markets on whether or not this guy will actually be crowned, and how long he will last in the job.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

I have a light box though I haven't used it much recently. Natural light is a great benefit to people with depression and there is of course a distinct lack of it in the winter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

I was suggesting his own origins may lie in great void beyond the mundane, like Dennis Rodman or Michael Fabricant.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2023
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

There are disadvantages too, though. I was in LA once talking to someone who had just moved from Washington DC. He said that he found LA's weather incredibly demotivating as he had an office job, and, when he woke up every morning, went out to his balcony and felt the gorgeous California sunshine on his face, he had to force himself to waste eight hours in a strip-lit cave.

I can empathise - I have to force myself to work on sunny days, and often put as much as possible off until the evening.

On the other hand, another friend from sunnier climes usually walked on the shady side of the street, and thought nothing about wasting a whole week of sunny days when we travelled together, and always made sure every room he got was as dark as possible.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

My dad has this, and unfortunately isn't well enough these days to travel (otherwise he'd probably be in Gran Canaria as I type). Guess it's maybe not a heritable trait, as I'm not massively arsed either way. Or rather, I like variety in my weather. March and April can be a trying pair of months though - I genuinely don't know how I would have coped in Lockdown I had the weather not been so benign.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

This map does not show you how brutal the winters can be in parts of the US though. My cousin is a talented chemist and got a job out in Fargo. He lasted one winter. And he is from St Helens.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Fair comment and the fury from remainers on twitter is a sight to behold

Sunak taking us closer to Europe and Macron's EPC as supported by Truss, plus the announcement we are to join the CPTPP opens immense new trading possibilities and ends rejoining the EU as a practical proposition

Indeed in this weeks Deltapoll rejoin led by just 1% - 42/41
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

It's because he doesn't want to be upstaged.

How else explain a comment like this: "People are saying they’re seeing UFOs. Do I believe it? Not particularly."

But I won't be surprised if he reverse ferrets, and whatever he was saying before he says it was actually Biden who was saying it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

The Basque country is notoriously damp and mizzly though. I think the most arresting one is almost the whole of Italy, with its Mediterranean climate and dolce vita. Worse than most of the US.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

My dad has this, and unfortunately isn't well enough these days to travel (otherwise he'd probably be in Gran Canaria as I type). Guess it's maybe not a heritable trait, as I'm not massively arsed either way. Or rather, I like variety in my weather. March and April can be a trying pair of months though - I genuinely don't know how I would have coped in Lockdown I had the weather not been so benign.
    How would you have coped without a garden. Remember it was illegal to sit on park benches.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Sunak taking us closer to Europe and Macron's EPC as supported by Truss, plus the announcement we are to join the CPTPP opens immense new trading possibilities and ends rejoining the EU as a practical proposition

Hardly ends rejoin. We would have to end our membership of CPTPP to rejoin just like we ended our prerential trade arrangements with the Commonwealth to join the Common Market. If the benefits of being in the EU SM were bigger than those of being in CPTPP - which they probably would be by a significant margin - I would assume we would happily switch.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

I was suggesting his own origins may lie in great void beyond the mundane, like Dennis Rodman or Michael Fabricant.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsAQj36gCU
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

The Basque country is notoriously damp and mizzly though. I think the most arresting one is almost the whole of Italy, with its Mediterranean climate and dolce vita. Worse than most of the US.
    Sunlight and overall climate aren't the same thing though. The US is great for sunlight - I lived on the East Coast for five years and loved the amount of light - but I wouldn't say the climate was better than the Mediterranean. Southern California is a different story of course!
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Surely you realise the whole thing is an infantile hoax by now? Why on earth would aliens have travelled light years to earth to annoy the US Navy with some light blobs? Complete cringe.
    It's a lot deeper and more complex than that. The hard evidence of visitation is minimal and pathetic, I entirely agree, but the amount of strange behaviour in the American Establishment remains bizarre

And it is still going on. This is from yesterday

"Senator Gillibrand asks Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin if he will ensure the Pentagon’s All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) will be fully funded during today’s Department of Defense budget request hearing.

#ufotwitter #ufo #uap h/t:
    @Akam1129"

https://twitter.com/UAPJames/status/1640840261403123715?s=20

The AARO is the new agency set up specifically to look for UFOs/UAPs and explain them

If it is all a hoax (and it may well be), who are they hoaxing, and why are they doing it? And how have they organised it so cleverly, over so many years?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

If you want to help the environment switch to an ebike for all trips up to 30 miles

Not going to happen. It is the same argument with the LTNs in London. "Get on your bike" says the council. "Thought of going by bike?" says TfL for a 15.4mile trip.

Just it isn't going to happen for people who aren't set up (helmet, hi-vis, waterproofs) or in any physical or mental condition to jump on a bike. Even an "e-bike". You are still facing the elements, the white vans and the black cabs (in London).

It is fantasy. Just like "cafe culture" in the UK it ain't happening for the broad masses.

And I cycle 30-40 miles a week in central London.
    I'm living in rainy West Cork. Over recent months about half of the weeks have had ~250% of average rain. It's been a wet winter and early spring.

I've also been working regularly at a local hot-desking hub, and walking around town to find myself lunch. It's only rained once during these many lunch time ambulatory explorations.

It really doesn't rain as often as people imagine. Loads of people cycle in other countries. With the right investment in segregated infrastructure they will do so in Britain and Ireland (excepting, perhaps, Galway, where it really does rain nearly all the time).
    You're right. I live in Manchester, which has a certain reputation for precipitation. A year ago, middle daughter started playing football on a Saturday morning. Over the past 12 months, it has only rained once between 10.30 and 11.30 on a Saturday morning in Sale.
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

If you want to help the environment switch to an ebike for all trips up to 30 miles

Not going to happen. It is the same argument with the LTNs in London. "Get on your bike" says the council. "Thought of going by bike?" says TfL for a 15.4mile trip.

Just it isn't going to happen for people who aren't set up (helmet, hi-vis, waterproofs) or in any physical or mental condition to jump on a bike. Even an "e-bike". You are still facing the elements, the white vans and the black cabs (in London).

It is fantasy. Just like "cafe culture" in the UK it ain't happening for the broad masses.

And I cycle 30-40 miles a week in central London.
    I'm living in rainy West Cork. Over recent months about half of the weeks have had ~250% of average rain. It's been a wet winter and early spring.

I've also been working regularly at a local hot-desking hub, and walking around town to find myself lunch. It's only rained once during these many lunch time ambulatory explorations.

It really doesn't rain as often as people imagine. Loads of people cycle in other countries. With the right investment in segregated infrastructure they will do so in Britain and Ireland (excepting, perhaps, Galway, where it really does rain nearly all the time).
    You're right. I live in Manchester, which has a certain reputation for precipitation. A year ago, middle daughter started playing football on a Saturday morning. Over the past 12 months, it has only rained once between 10.30 and 11.30 on a Saturday morning in Sale.
    I moved to the Manchester area in mid August 1961. I’d visited occasionally over the previous year and thought the reputation for rain was overdone.
    However, after I started living and working there it rained for some part of every day for a month!
    "Some part of every day," isn't necessarily very much, unless you spend most of your day outside.
    Generally when I was waiting for the bus, IIRC.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Hardly ends rejoin. We would have to end our membership of CPTPP to rejoin just like we ended our prerential trade arrangements with the Commonwealth to join the Common Market. If the benefits of being in the EU SM were bigger than those of being in CPTPP - which they probably would be by a significant margin - I would assume we would happily switch.
    Unfortunately rejoining for those who want to rejoin the time is ebbing away as both the EPC and CPTPP point to the future of our trading relationships worldwide

This is not an either or argument it is the benefits of both
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Leon said:

Yes, I expect you're right. I'm an extreme case the other way (I like being indoors, dislike hot weather and have thick curtains to prevent being woken by early light), and my mum had inverse SAD - she loved winter, and would really feel bad in when it was hot. Perhaps there's a gene for it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Leon said:

Yes, I expect you're right. I'm an extreme case the other way (I like being indoors, dislike hot weather and have thick curtains to prevent being woken by early light), and my mum had inverse SAD - she loved winter, and would really feel bad in when it was hot. Perhaps there's a gene for it.
    Could be the hunting gene, Nick - no fun things to do in the summer.
  • Options

Leon said:

I had my biennial healthcheck a few weeks ago and the one bad thing coming out of the blood tests was a significant deficiency in Vitamin D. I wonder what proportion of Brits have that by February.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately rejoining for those who want to rejoin the time is ebbing away as both the EPC and CPTPP point to the future of our trading relationships worldwide

Because as a country we are more likely to prosper by deepening service trade with our neighbours rather than trying to overcome economic gravity and comparative advantage at the same time.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Like a lot of things it will depend on the degree of regulatory alignment between the CPTPP members and EU single market over the next few years, as well of course as regulatory divergence between the EU and UK (which I expect to be minimal).

I doubt we will ever rejoin the full EU though. Even the Lib Dems have given up on that. I was in a Q&A session this morning with Sarah Olney who's now their treasury spokesperson and the most she could suggest was that long term they'd like the UK to be back in the customs union. We really need the EU to embrace a new two-speed solution, Macron style, so that there is an off the shelf arrangement that suits not just the UK but a few other countries (like Ukraine and Georgia, possibly Switzerland, Iceland and Norway).
    Macron's EPC is already being embraced with the next meeting this year in Spain and next year in London

If we as a country could embrace the benefits of both the EPC and CPTPP it would be of immense value to our trading position

It is encouraging if the lib dems are following a similar route
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Sunlight and overall climate aren't the same thing though. The US is great for sunlight - I lived on the East Coast for five years and loved the amount of light - but I wouldn't say the climate was better than the Mediterranean. Southern California is a different story of course!
    In my view, sunlight is the more valuable measurement.

A lovely sunny day spent in the outdoors is wonderful whether it's -5 degrees or 25 degrees. I love a bright crisp winter's day as much as a glorious summer's day.

And it can get bloody cold in Italy in the winter too!

New England does look a lovely climate. All that sunshine, yet still enough rainfall to make it lush and green. And satisfyingly snowy in the winter.
    Yet New England weather seems to be the butt of American jokes.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited March 2023

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Because as a country we are more likely to prosper by deepening service trade with our neighbours rather than trying to overcome economic gravity and comparative advantage at the same time.
    I simply do not agree we have to rejoin the EU to achieve those benefits

This is the future in Europe and the CPTPP

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/trusss-yes-boosts-macrons-new-european-forum-initiative-2022-10-03/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Fair comment and the fury from remainers on twitter is a sight to behold ...
    It was this remainer that told you about it. :smile:

Just let it go, Big_G.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Yes, the French Riviera is sunnier than almost all of Italy.

That said, the French Riviera has probably the best climate of anywhere in the world.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    The BBC reports an open letter urging a suspension of at least six months on training of advanced AIs, signed by Elon Musk, among others:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65110030

You can understand his point.

AIs may turn turn out to be malevolent à la Terminator or benevolent à la The Culture, but can anyone imagine an AI-dominated society allowing Elon Musk to do anything more influential than cleaning the toilets?
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

This map does not show you how brutal the winters can be in parts of the US though. My cousin is a talented chemist and got a job out in Fargo. He lasted one winter. And he is from St Helens.
    Oh indeed. And the scary changes in temperature as well. I was in Chicago one April where it went from a summer like 23C with sunshine to about -10C and an ice storm in 36 hours. Horrible

I generally like the dry, warm, sunny, reliable climate of the southwest American states, and they don't have the intense humidity of the East Coast/Deep South, either
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited March 2023
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Fair comment and the fury from remainers on twitter is a sight to behold ...
    It was this remainer that told you about it. :smile:

Just let it go, Big_G.
    Not sure I follow your point

I have posted regularly on our joining CPTPP and EPC for Europe

It is noticeable just how alarmed many are who are dedicated to rejoin the EU and it is a legitimate comment

I would also comment I knew about the announcement to take place on Friday before your post
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Because, as is becoming ever clearer with recent events, there is NOTHING out there. Nothing. Just misidentified birds, starts (out of focus as triangles), balloons etc. All those posters who said we were on the brink of a big revelation have been utterly wrong.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

I had my biennial healthcheck a few weeks ago and the one bad thing coming out of the blood tests was a significant deficiency in Vitamin D. I wonder what proportion of Brits have that by February.
    Very common in darker skinned folk, especially the further north they live. Probably something that is easy to monitor in people and try to do something about, although ISTR there are issues where just dosing with Vit D is not that effective. Better to encourage more people outside for exercise in winter and expose some skin.
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

That said, the French Riviera has probably the best climate of anywhere in the world.
    It's gorgeous but I'm not sure it is the absolute best. The Italian lakes, the Algarve, the Croatian coast down to Albania, much of coastal Greece, they are generally wet enough to be green but sunny enough to be mmmm

And it also depends if you want seasons, or you want to skip cold rainy winters altogether
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Reminder that just last month Republicans wore AR-15 pins in place of where their American flag pin would normally go.
    https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1640541156776857601
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

I think the SNP activists have made a choice that they prefer to be a "progressive", i.e. left wing party, rather than a national movement of both left and right. That more or less guarantees that voters who believe in liberal economics will have no reason to vote for them and businesses no reason to fund them, and equally voters who are left wing may choose to vote for an actual, "genuine", left wing party, i.e. Labour.

Independence as an issue has fallen in popularity, and the sense of the inevitability or even desirability of separation has fallen quite sharply (somewhat ironically, this seems to be a result of the negative impact of the Brexit separation).

The SNP was a political juggernaut, but a combination of bad judgement, an air of sleaze and real questions about the viability of independence seems set to give the party a significant knock back at the next GE, though FPTP might save several SNP MPs. Come the next Scottish Parliament elections however, the lack of funds and turmoil in the party´s organization, after the departure of Murell, not to mention growing personal and political divisions, as well as the passing of a political generation, could even see the Nats knocked out of power at Holyrood.

[cue: Ayrshire´s little ray of sunshine in total fulmination mode]

You have a high opinion of your perceptions but sadly lacking in reading of people and myself in particular. The desirability is still there but many realise it will not be the SNP that achieve it , certainly in current shape. Westminster is of no importance to Scotland, the deal is in Holyrood and likliehood is that people will bite their tongues and vote SNP / ALBA or ISP and so instead of loads of duff unionists getting the list seats , many will go to independence parties and give them a big majority. However the fly in the ointment is Useless and the old Murrells mafia who currently run the cartel. We shall see if they choose to live or die by the sword. Long time till 2026 if Useless avoids getting booted out.
    The first chance to kick these lowlifes is the foreign vote for Westminster.
    I think the SNP may well receive a gubbing at the next GE. But Holyrood in 2026 is a different kettle of fish. By then we'll be into a mid-term Starmer Govt which may well impact SLAB's chances and the SNP may have replaced Yousaf with someone electable. But really, who knows?
    I agree and think that is the way it will go. Key at Holyrood will be if the duffers vote SNP1/2 again and allow shedloads of unionists in or the idiots get over their ego's and use 2nd vote for an independence party. That was key re sturgeon having no interest in Independence last time as she promoted people to vote for unionists to get into Holyrood by urging people to waste their second vote on SNP.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Because, as is becoming ever clearer with recent events, there is NOTHING out there. Nothing. Just misidentified birds, starts (out of focus as triangles), balloons etc. All those posters who said we were on the brink of a big revelation have been utterly wrong.
    So it was all a big psy-ops, or a hoax, or just a lot of politicians and intelligence bigwigs going a bit Cold War mad? Or what? A stunt to freak out the Chinese?

Genuine questions, btw. I have always focused on the strange behaviour of the American elite not the frankly dismal "evidence" of actual UFOs/UAPs
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

So it was all a big psy-ops, or a hoax, or just a lot of politicians and intelligence bigwigs going a bit Cold War mad? Or what? A stunt to freak out the Chinese?

Genuine questions, btw. I have always focused on the strange behaviour of the American elite not the frankly dismal "evidence" of actual UFOs/UAPs
    Just US military paranoia about stuff in their airspace they can't quite explain.
    See also the balloons.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited March 2023
    MattW said:

MattW said:

For on Street Chargers we need to avoid this type of thing (London), which is diabolical. They need to be in the road between the parking spaces.

Lots of flattened or dented chgargers?
    It needs something strong enough either side seriously to damage any car driven by a wombat who hits it. No more patience any more.

There was a weird one in Denmark Hill recently where a young mum drove her car into a cycle hangar and put her own baby in hospital in the accident. At 2:30pm in the afternoon.

Cycle hangar had replaced a parking space which would have had an SUV or similar in it. And the locals are blaming the dangerous cycle hangar.

https://southwarknews.co.uk/news/baby-hospitalised-in-collision-with-bike-hanger-that-council-was-warned-could-be-dangerous/
    Tom Scott's latest video is sort of on this subject. The end of the video is the most interesting bit wrt electric vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voYdl7IFZsM
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

I simply do not agree we have to rejoin the EU to achieve those benefits

This is the future in Europe and the CPTPP

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/trusss-yes-boosts-macrons-new-european-forum-initiative-2022-10-03/
    Long, long way to the Indo-Pacific region, though. Although membership might benefit the business of my younger son.
    Elder son is fed up already with the difficulties now involved in trading with Europe.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Don't you take vitamin D pills in the winter?
  • Options
    For clarification the present members of the CPTPP are

Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam

UK will make it 12

CPTPP has a combined GDP of 9 trillion and 500 million people in 2021
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

It’s why we evolved our lighter skins, as opposed to the darker ones our remote ancestors had.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

It's gorgeous but I'm not sure it is the absolute best. The Italian lakes, the Algarve, the Croatian coast down to Albania, much of coastal Greece, they are generally wet enough to be green but sunny enough to be mmmm

And it also depends if you want seasons, or you want to skip cold rainy winters altogether
    I always think that there is a benefit living somewhere shit because it makes you appreciate leaving the place even more.

Off to Austria next week.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

In my view, sunlight is the more valuable measurement.

A lovely sunny day spent in the outdoors is wonderful whether it's -5 degrees or 25 degrees. I love a bright crisp winter's day as much as a glorious summer's day.

And it can get bloody cold in Italy in the winter too!

New England does look a lovely climate. All that sunshine, yet still enough rainfall to make it lush and green. And satisfyingly snowy in the winter.
    Yet New England weather seems to be the butt of American jokes.

It also has the Black Fly season. Think a midge, but with Alien DNA and orneryness....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

For on Street Chargers we need to avoid this type of thing (London), which is diabolical. They need to be in the road between the parking spaces.

Lots of flattened or dented chgargers?
    It needs something strong enough either side seriously to damage any car driven by a wombat who hits it. No more patience any more.

There was a weird one in Denmark Hill recently where a young mum drove her car into a cycle hangar and put her own baby in hospital in the accident. At 2:30pm in the afternoon.

Cycle hangar had replaced a parking space which would have had an SUV or similar in it. And the locals are blaming the dangerous cycle hangar.

https://southwarknews.co.uk/news/baby-hospitalised-in-collision-with-bike-hanger-that-council-was-warned-could-be-dangerous/
    Tom Scott's latest video is sort of on this subject. The end of the video is the most interesting bit wrt electric vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voYdl7IFZsM
    That's like the car park in Thunderbirds:

https://thunderbirds.fandom.com/wiki/Parola_Sands_Automobile_Park
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Surely the canary islands have the best climate in the world. Highs around 70 in winter 80 to 85 in summer with abundant sunshine year round.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    So - we know what we have lost from single market/customs union membership. SO what will we gain from membership of CPTPP? I want specifics please.
  • Options
    Shouting match in the Australian Senate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ3Z4Taw3ew
  • Options

Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam

UK will make it 12

Our exports of goods and services to the EU are 5 times our exports of goods and services to this group of countries. Our exports to just one EU country (Germany) are of the same magnitude as our exports to all of these countries.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Stocky said:

The range of my Toyota hybrid is 570 miles - a bit less in the winter. I'd argue that it has less impact on the environment than any EV

Whatever type of car you buy the environment is taking a hit with the manufacture of the vehicle - no free lunch.

Is the best thing of all the keep your existing car for longer, whatever type it is?
    Depends on whether you are referring to the global or local environment. An old diesel driving through a built up area is not environmental from a local perspective by any means or definition.

On a global scale, there are petrolheads and reactionaries who argue that the mining of elements for batteries has the same impact or worse than the continued use of fossil fuel powered vehicles. This is tenuous in the extreme. the corollary of this weak argument is that we should forget making EVs. This would mean that the advances in battery technology that will inevitably come would be held up which would be madness.

Buy a Tesla
    They are for fannies only
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Some folk involved with the Skinwalker nonsense (endless TV shows) and a few who have made a career our of bullshit (Luis Elizondo) etc and it caught the attention of a few senators who ought to know better. The military are quite happy to have 'threats' that keep the budget increasing.

The fact that people started seeing 'saucers' after Kenneth Arnold in 1947 was revealing - Arnold never said that he saw saucers, he said what he saw moved like saucers. And yet suddening people were reporting saucers.

Its a lovely idea that alien races have travelled to Earth and every now and again we catch sight of an alien space craft, sadly the evidence is damning that they haven't and we don't.

If you are ever interested in how a UFO flap can arise from nothing and be sustained for years, read 'In Alien Heat - The Warminster Mystery Revisited' by Steve Dewy and Joh n Ries.

https://amazon.co.uk/Alien-Heat-Warminster-Mystery-Revisited/dp/1933665025/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NF35PR0TF8X7&keywords=In+alien+heat&qid=1680103272&sprefix=in+alien+heat%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-1

Its a great book about the Warminster UFO story (if you don't know - huge UFO flap in the mid 1960's through to the mid 70's). The book is really about people and how flaps start and sustain. I have a personal interest because I am hugely into the Fortean and live in Warminster...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

If you could somehow combine Southern European sun hours with the UK's temperature range that'd be ideal for me. A greater percentage of the possible sun hours being sunny in winter, in particular, would be great.
  • Options
    Emerald said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Surely the canary islands have the best climate in the world. Highs around 70 in winter 80 to 85 in summer with abundant sunshine year round.
    Certainly very pleasant if you pick the right spot on the right island. But a bit dry and desert like

My ideal climate would be nine months of consistent blue skies and warmth - 25-32C every day and warm enough to drink outside easily and comfortably in shirtsleeves. If it rains it is brief and usually at 4am. Then a month of a colourful wet autumn, a month of a sharp snowy winter, and a month of pretty spring

Of course this climate does not exist
  • Options
    I'm not sure that we have covered the Savanta poll which came out earlier today. Polling was end of last week

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention

📈16pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 45 (=)
    🌳Con 29 (-2)
    🔶LD 9 (=)
    ➡️Reform 4 (=)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 5 (=)

2,097 UK adults, 24-26 March

• Options
    Leon said:

Emerald said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

This map is instructive:

Certainly very pleasant if you pick the right spot on the right island. But a bit dry and desert like

My ideal climate would be nine months of consistent blue skies and warmth - 25-32C every day and warm enough to drink outside easily and comfortably in shirtsleeves. If it rains it is brief and usually at 4am. Then a month of a colourful wet autumn, a month of a sharp snowy winter, and a month of pretty spring

Of course this climate does not exist
    Northern half of Tenerife though isnt desert like at all but quite beautiful and green,
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461

UK will make it 12

Our exports of goods and services to the EU are 5 times our exports of goods and services to this group of countries. Our exports to just one EU country (Germany) are of the same magnitude as our exports to all of these countries.
    And a fair chunk of those were covered by the EU deals with CPTPP countries anyway.

So the main product of this deal looks like being Remainer tears, real or imagined.

The implications of this don't bear thinking about.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Here's a nice paradox

MRDA
    Does she tho?

Some folk involved with the Skinwalker nonsense (endless TV shows) and a few who have made a career our of bullshit (Luis Elizondo) etc and it caught the attention of a few senators who ought to know better. The military are quite happy to have 'threats' that keep the budget increasing.

The fact that people started seeing 'saucers' after Kenneth Arnold in 1947 was revealing - Arnold never said that he saw saucers, he said what he saw moved like saucers. And yet suddening people were reporting saucers.

Its a lovely idea that alien races have travelled to Earth and every now and again we catch sight of an alien space craft, sadly the evidence is damning that they haven't and we don't.

If you are ever interested in how a UFO flap can arise from nothing and be sustained for years, read 'In Alien Heat - The Warminster Mystery Revisited' by Steve Dewy and Joh n Ries.

https://amazon.co.uk/Alien-Heat-Warminster-Mystery-Revisited/dp/1933665025/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NF35PR0TF8X7&keywords=In+alien+heat&qid=1680103272&sprefix=in+alien+heat%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-1

Its a great book about the Warminster UFO story (if you don't know - huge UFO flap in the mid 1960's through to the mid 70's). The book is really about people and how flaps start and sustain. I have a personal interest because I am hugely into the Fortean and live in Warminster...
    I am certainly open to the idea of it being a big flap, though questions remain

It is noticeable that this latest flap is the biggest since the late 40s, early 50s, and there are striking similarities between the two. Both happened when Cold War rivalries were really kicking off - back then it was USA/USSR, now it is USA/China. And both happened just as we evolved game-changing, potentially apocalyptic technology - then it was nukes, now it is AI

So a similar psychology might cause similar "panics"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

I will never have an electric car until they solve the charging issue ie having to wait to get to a charging point and. Then 40 mins for a half charge....I suspect I will have met my maker by then.
    You can do 10-80% in about 25 min on the latest chargers. To get to half should be a fraction of that - the charging is faster on an empty battery.
    Not what my pal tells me. They have had nightmares queuing and it's 40.mins min
    to charge his ev f pace
    Emerald said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Emerald said:

There was actually a window of opportunity to fly abroad in December.
    Changing lightbulbs can do a lot for SAD sufferers. Thanks to modern tech, you can quite tune the frequency of the light you get, overall, for not much money.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

It’s why we evolved our lighter skins, as opposed to the darker ones our remote ancestors had.
    That's quite strange, posted as an answer to the question of whether TimS takes Vitamin D pills in the winter.

I can't work out whether you were saying "Yes, he does" or "No he doesn't".
This discussion has been closed.