Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters give Johnson a 7% chance of being CON general election leader – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Just spoke to a senior member of the SNP's NEC. They say they have the numbers for a vote of no confidence in Peter Murrell. They're calling on him to resign TODAY.

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/status/1637018409471713280?s=20

Is there enough whisky-flavoured popcorn?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

MaxPB said:

Black Rock looking to buy Credit Suisse.

That seems like a poor match but better than dragging UBS down.
    I think the Swiss authorities want it to be UBS for national pride reasons.
    Yes I thought they were experts in this field. If their banks start failing it won't be long before chocolate and clocks come under the microscope.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    edited March 2023

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

This warmongering Russian twat does know Turkey is in NATO?

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1637034184228192257

Given the lack of men, tanks, and ammunition, exactly what does this warmongering Russian propose they use to march on Constantinople, and deal with NATO’s army when they arrive?
    More interestingly, he is giving ammunition to China to take back Vladivostok and other parts of formerly-China Russia...
    I know that war is anything but funny, but I’d laugh like a drain if Winnie The Pooh started making noises on the Russia/China border.
    Then it really would have to be down to nukes saving everything east of the Urals.

The war games will be being played out in Beijing, just in case. Filed under "Easier than Taiwan"...
    He must know that the US and Japan are willing to fight with Taiwan, and no-one bar Iran and NK is willing to give Putin the time of day at the moment.
  • Options

Well now.

Good morning

I expect @malcolmg will be very pleased

Indeed so must most voters in Scotland no doubt
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Even banking gone woke, bringing race and nationality into everything. First it was the schools, then the venison, now the banks. I can't keep up with it all.
    Surely should be People of Colour Rock by now?
    African American Rock.
    Foxy had it, POC Rock.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Teenagers go in big numbers for something that is only slightly illegal, doesn't land you in prison, highly addictive, oils the wheels of social interaction, is disapproved of the the Guardian and parents, somewhat cool, and is designed to be the alternative to the one that kills you.

What a shock

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/18/uk-health-expert-raises-alarm-at-epidemic-of-vaping-among-teenagers

Can you talk me through how vaping is somewhat cool?
    Step 1. Teenagers think a lot of stupid things are cool
    Step 2. See above

People thought even smoking was cool for crying out loud, well beyond teenage years.
    I was more interested in why Algakirk thought it was cool, since I sense like myself he is at some distance from teenagedom.
    I somewhat atavistically still think smoking is cool, love old photos of people dexterously juggling the slim white cylinders of death. Otoh a gaggle of folk outside pubs or workplaces in a cloud of confectionary scented steam doesn’t do it for me, I find those metal steampunk vaping devices particularly dorky (I’ve used up my annual use of the word dork quota in one hour).
    Yes. It brings particular memories. I gave up smoking at age 21. But the 60s and 70s have special smoking memories, and under age drinking. Remember how in cinemas you could see the light from the projector all the way through the air because it was full of smoke.

Tube trains full of smoke. Coffee bars, cafes, on top in buses.

Your clothes always smelling of smoke after you had been to the pub.
    I've never smoked but both my parents did in the house. It was only after I left home that I realised my clothes at school must have reeked every day. Never noticed at the time of course.
    My father smoked a pipe, to within days of his death, and I had to take his car round various dealers to sell it. I didn’t smoke by then …. hadn’t for 20 years…and the vehicle smelled disgusting.
    It was also difficult to sell because the reg. no was 666.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

latest update from SNP insider who has been extremely accurate up to now!

I was accused of hyperbole by everyone's favourite Sweden based xenophobe for quoting Frazer's 'this is like watching men committing suicide.'

Regardless of whether these rather vague allegations you keep posting are true or not (we'll see) I'm thinking I actually missed on the side of downplaying it.
    Yes for sure and it still looks like at 72K members they are over counting by 20K ( members left but kept on books) and yet they issued 78K votes and expect people to just believe it when Murrell says Humza won. Unfortunately some people who received stray voting papers were not the tame sheeple.
    Betting now is Murrell to be gone by Monday and likely he is already hunkered down in one of their foreign houses.
    Watching from afar, it does appear that not even making a public announcement as to the number of party members entitled to vote, makes it easy for people to suggest something going on behind the scenes.

Labour and the Tories both use ERS to conduct their internal elections, which looks more impartial.
    Using the ERS is basic sanity, given the personality types involved in political parties.

Just the ability to say - “Shut up and go complain to the experts over there” would be worth it
    I don’t ever recall people complaining about the integrity of a party election before. People complain about the rules being the rules, or the eligibility criteria, but not the actual counting of the votes. That’s what happens when you have an independent organisation counting the votes.
    Wasnt there threats of court action in one of the labour contests?
    From memory, Corbyn went to court to be allowed to stand in the election, after he had received a vote of no confidence from Labour MPs. The rules didn’t state that the leader couldn’t stand, but that was how it was interpreted.
    other way around, surely? His opponents sued to demand he get the nominations before standing again rather than standing ex officio. They failed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Teenagers go in big numbers for something that is only slightly illegal, doesn't land you in prison, highly addictive, oils the wheels of social interaction, is disapproved of the the Guardian and parents, somewhat cool, and is designed to be the alternative to the one that kills you.

What a shock

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/18/uk-health-expert-raises-alarm-at-epidemic-of-vaping-among-teenagers

Step 2. See above

People thought even smoking was cool for crying out loud, well beyond teenage years.
    I was more interested in why Algakirk thought it was cool, since I sense like myself he is at some distance from teenagedom.
    I somewhat atavistically still think smoking is cool, love old photos of people dexterously juggling the slim white cylinders of death. Otoh a gaggle of folk outside pubs or workplaces in a cloud of confectionary scented steam doesn’t do it for me, I find those metal steampunk vaping devices particularly dorky (I’ve used up my annual use of the word dork quota in one hour).
    Yes. It brings particular memories. I gave up smoking at age 21. But the 60s and 70s have special smoking memories, and under age drinking. Remember how in cinemas you could see the light from the projector all the way through the air because it was full of smoke.

I've never smoked but both my parents did in the house. It was only after I left home that I realised my clothes at school must have reeked every day. Never noticed at the time of course.
    My father smoked a pipe, to within days of his death, and I had to take his car round various dealers to sell it. I didn’t smoke by then …. hadn’t for 20 years…and the vehicle smelled disgusting.
    You can now get a device called an Ozone Cleaner, which will get rid of smells from a car in a couple of days. Good if you have a smoker’s car to sell.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enerzen-Commercial-Industrial-Deodorizer-Sterilizer/dp/B01M7VOSH1/
  • Options

DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

My late father’s car smells like a tobacconist after a fire.

It’s one reason why I kept it and sold mine.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Will the Murrel's be in the posh seats at the Rugby today, or do they have other plans...

Why do Mr and Mrs Ceaușescu come to mind?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    I see that the troughers at Silicon Valley Ponzi Scheme have "earned" themselves £15 million in bonuses.

Choose your lamp post...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

You can now get a device called an Ozone Cleaner, which will get rid of smells from a car in a couple of days. Good if you have a smoker’s car to sell.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enerzen-Commercial-Industrial-Deodorizer-Sterilizer/dp/B01M7VOSH1/
    Also good to know if you want to buy a foul-smelling smoker's car cheap....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848

Good morning

Lesley Riddoch's timeline is a joy to behold this morning
  • Options

I see that the troughers at Silicon Valley Ponzi Scheme have "earned" themselves £15 million in bonuses.

Choose your lamp post...

They also sold a significant tranche of their shares before the shit:fan interface.
  • Options
    The burning question of the day is exactly how many points Ireland will ship past England

Dare I buy on the spreads?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The burning question of the day is exactly how many points Ireland will ship past England

England have to put in a semblance of a performance one day.

Not sure it will be today. But enough of a worry to keep away from the spread.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Had a voter registration and at the cinema. Sadly, v very people about so not reaching the YP today.
  • Options
    @scotfax
    3m
    The front runner to lead @theSNP thinks that the NEC of the [checks notes] SNP are “a little bit daft”.

This is not intentional comedy.

https://twitter.com/scotfax/status/1637057453996007424
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

If it's been smoked in regularly then it's fucked. The smell always comes back eventually. O3 is fine for flipping cars though.

My E63 M6 (which is a keeper because it has 100 point bodywork and is Sepang Bronze) was smoked in and that's not what's up so drastic measures were required. I ended up pulling the whole interior out and selling it on eBay. By emailing or phoning every BMW dealer in Europe I've managed to piece together a full new old stock black interior.

Still doesn't work because it needs a US model ECU as I have manual swapped it.
  • Options
    @shiny02
    How did I miss this?

Humza's response to whether Peter Murrell should go

Jesus my skin is CRAWLING 😱

https://twitter.com/shiny02/status/1635249003817492480
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Good morning

Lesley Riddoch's timeline is a joy to behold this morning
    Lesley Riddy, more like.

(Yes, I returned from obscurity to make this joke).

Anyway, fascinated to learn the real reasons behind Sturgeon's sudden departure, hopefully the next few weeks will provide some clarity. Given that the NEC have suddenly grown a backbone and told him to go today, none of it can be good.

I do hope this Humza Yousaf interview doesn't age badly:

https://twitter.com/shiny02/status/1635249003817492480

• Options
    @GlennBBC
    now
    Peter Murrell has quit as SNP chief executive with immediate effect
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

So who’s counting the votes?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

So who is in charge of overseeing the election???
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

Damnit why didn't I buy more popcorn?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

@malcolmg may actually have just spontaneously exploded with excitement...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

Welcome back!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

Welcome back!
    Thanks! A family illness had been keeping me away from politics watching, but this current binfire has provided a fun distraction for us all.

Are the SNP seriously going to try and stagger on through a leadership vote, which is likely to be challenged in the courts if Yousaf wins?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Scott_xP said:
    "While there was no intent to mislead...."

Ooh, you little liar.....
  • Options
    edited March 2023

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

Welcome back!
    Thanks! A family illness had been keeping me away from politics watching, but this current binfire has provided a fun distraction for us all.

Are the SNP seriously going to try and stagger on through a leadership vote, which is likely to be challenged in the courts if Yousaf wins?
    I don't see that they have an awful lot of choice.

I mean, they can hardly ask Sturgeon to stay on in the circumstances, or Salmond or Swinney to stand in, and Flynn is in Westminster.

Robertson maybe in a desperate emergency for a couple of months but what mechanism could they use?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    In a sackful of ferrets just one gets the sack.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,074
    Scott_xP said:

Ireland to win by 47.
  • Options
    Peter Murrell gives his farewell speech to the SNP faithfull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIbCtz_Xwk&ab_channel=AvocatulPoporului
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

Welcome back!

There's no good option here for the SNP, although of course if Forbes wins the stramash that will follow will be immense.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Yes I thought they were experts in this field. If their banks start failing it won't be long before chocolate and clocks come under the microscope.
    Already too late for the chocolate. Toblerone has been forced to remove the trademark Matterhorn from their packaging because it is now made in Slovenia.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

This warmongering Russian twat does know Turkey is in NATO?

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1637034184228192257

Given the lack of men, tanks, and ammunition, exactly what does this warmongering Russian propose they use to march on Constantinople, and deal with NATO’s army when they arrive?
    He's probably partying like it's 1878:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Turkish_War_(1877–1878)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_San_Stefano
  • Options

Without watching it, a wild guess suggests a translation would be 'it wasnae me, a Yoon stooge did it all.'
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Ireland to win by 47.
    I'm a seller, LP.

Ireland know how to score but defensively England are ok. They can't score though, so I'm going for Ireland by about 20 points. They'll be happy enough with that. It's the grand slam that matters, not the points margin.
  • Options
    Can someone relieve theuniondivvie of his belt and shoe laces?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited March 2023
    Who knew a penis could cause so much damage to the SNP.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

Without watching it, a wild guess suggests a translation would be 'it wasnae me, a Yoon stooge did it all.'
    His missus is by his side, telling the crowd to "shut up!"

Literally.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    In other news it's Ivan Skavinsky Skavar versus Abdul the Bulbul Emir.
    Must look out that students' song of 100 years ago to see how it ends.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    now

Welcome back!

There's no good option here for the SNP, although of course if Forbes wins the stramash that will follow will be immense.
    In some ways, though, the current shitshow makes Sturgeon's extraordinary dominance of the party for so long more remarkable.

Even allowing for the - ahem - questions that are now being asked about her methods.

Clearly following her Sir Alex they're now into their David Moyes phase. For much the same reason, as well.
  • Options

Who need a penis could cause so much damage for the SNP.

Eh?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eh?
    Typo.

Need = Knew

Isla Bryson might be epochal to Scottish Nationalism as Alex Salmond.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    edited March 2023
    edit
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

That ended well for Lloyds when Brown did the same thing rather than letting HBOS go under.
  • Options

Who knew a penis could cause so much damage for the SNP.

That's a rather unkind way to refer to Peter Murrell.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

Scott_xP said:
    "While there was no intent to mislead...."

Ooh, you little liar.....
    {Lucien Napoleon has entered the chat, wads of ballots falling out of his pockets}
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    algarkirk said:

Murrell gone - BBC

Time to lay Humza IMO.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Eh?
    Typo.

Need = Knew

Isla Bryson might be epochal to Scottish Nationalism as Alex Salmond.
    I wouldn't want to be SNP leader (if I had backed the gender recognition reform bill) when the Galashiels child abduction case comes to trial.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

algarkirk said:

Murrell gone - BBC

Time to lay Humza IMO.
    I don't think there will ever be a time when I want to lay Humza. He isn't my type.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    algarkirk said:

Murrell gone - BBC

New SNP anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5xfqHACzvE

Don't be confused, please, don't misunderstand
    I can't respect your wishes more
    And this time, I must say I want it my way
    I'm walking through the door

I want my independence
    I want my freedom right now, yeah
    I want my independence
    I want my freedom, my freedom now
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    geoffw said:

In other news it's Ivan Skavinsky Skavar versus Abdul the Bulbul Emir.
    Must look out that students' song of 100 years ago to see how it ends.

From 40 years ago, the Whitbread advert:

https://youtu.be/OxnnXysOrhw
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

You're a charmer, right enough.
    I have a vague memory of you doing patter about some variation of the SNP leadership being strung up by piano wire and taking a big strop when I suggested that if it ever came to you they would require heavy duty wire. Do you recall that august occasion?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

If it's been smoked in regularly then it's fucked. The smell always comes back eventually. O3 is fine for flipping cars though.

My E63 M6 (which is a keeper because it has 100 point bodywork and is Sepang Bronze) was smoked in and that's not what's up so drastic measures were required. I ended up pulling the whole interior out and selling it on eBay. By emailing or phoning every BMW dealer in Europe I've managed to piece together a full new old stock black interior.

Still doesn't work because it needs a US model ECU as I have manual swapped it.
    You have more car stories than VinWiki’s YouTube channel! :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That ended well for Lloyds when Brown did the same thing rather than letting HBOS go under.
    Indeed.

I’m glad I have no investments/shares in either.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    From Murrell's statement:

The phrasing's a bit unfortunate: "our membership number lies", indeed. "Rests" might have been a more sensible word, in the circumstances.

https://twitter.com/leftworks1/status/1637067635480485888?s=20
  • Options

You're a charmer, right enough.
    I have a vague memory of you doing patter about some variation of the SNP leadership being strung up by piano wire and taking a big strop when I suggested that if it ever came to you they would require heavy duty wire. Do you recall that august occasion?
    And I'm the charmer?

Your life's ambitions of independence are circling the drain.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

While I have issues with TUD’s reflexive Anglophobia, I think this reference to mental health is out of order and should be retracted.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

While I have issues with TUD’s reflexive Anglophobia, I think this reference to mental health is out of order and should be retracted.
    As you will see, he was gleefully recalling how he used this notion himself.

So, no.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    ASH Regan’s campaign is reportedly speaking to lawyers about whether to obtain an interdict to pause the SNP leadership contest following several internal party row

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23395677.ash-regan-team-discuss-court-action-pause-snp-leadership-election/
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Got to ask given that the SNP seem to have issued more ballot paper than they have members - how valid is any election going to be.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

I’m glad I have no investments/shares in either.
    What other authority other than the Swiss would want to have Credit Suisse on their books.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,355
    eek said:

Got to ask given that the SNP seem to have issued more ballot paper than they have members - how valid is any election going to be.

Has getting party members to choose their leader ever gone well?
  • Options
    eek said:

Very dodgy. Will be interesting to see if Regan goes with an interdict.

How the hell can Yousaf keep running as Mr Continuity? He's a dismal candidate under any circumstances, but this is a spectacular car crash.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

DougSeal said:

As you will see, he was gleefully recalling how he used this notion himself.

So, no.
    Because you started using it in the first place, if he is correct, which I note you haven't challenged (and which has very nasty connotations politically).

In any case then you used a similar trope unprompted today.
  • Options

eek said:

How the hell can Yousaf keep running as Mr Continuity? He's a dismal candidate under any circumstances, but this is a spectacular car crash.
    What happens if she does?

Again, we come back to there is no way Sturgeon can stay. And AIUI (please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no way of replacing her bar this election. Even if there was, who is there to ask?

The SNP are impaled on a spike of their own making, but impaled they are.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

eek said:

I can't see how he could credibly claim to be elected in the circs. They'd need to redo it with ERS or similar.

The interesting thing is what happens if Ms Forbes wins. It's not as if Ms R has much of a hope at the moment (so she is n ot losing anything by her attitude).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Dura_Ace said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

I feel a right dick doing it.
    That's because you are (IIRC) in your 60s. The same would be true of mamy things that can feel cool if you are a teenager. I expect you would also feel a right dick skateboarding.
    I am 55 and can (just) still ollie... I can also still manual a BMX for the regulation distance (in order not to be a 'wuss') of 2 lamposts.
    Do you also have a kewl set of cycling shorts, 'biff' fellow riders when they get in your way and have a dog called Gnasher?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    eek said:

Mr Meeks is pointing out on Twitter that this SNP implosion is likely to give Labour some easily winnable seats that make the odds of a Labour majority government rather more likely that the current odds.

Where would we be without Meeks stating the bleeding obvious.
  • Options
    Strangely, I never minded fag smoke in pubs. Or people doing it in my garden /patio at house parties.

Bothered me virtually everywhere, particularly in restaurants where some people couldn't read the room (or didn't give a crap) and were doing it right up until it was banned in 2007.
  • Options

Who knew a penis could cause so much damage to the SNP.

I think he's set-up his own breakaway splinter party now.
  • Options

eek said:

Mr Meeks is pointing out on Twitter that this SNP implosion is likely to give Labour some easily winnable seats that make the odds of a Labour majority government rather more likely that the current odds.

Where would we be without Meeks stating the bleeding obvious.
    ‘‘Twas useful to discover that the odds were 1.77 hadn’t realised that
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Again, we come back to there is no way Sturgeon can stay. And AIUI (please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no way of replacing her bar this election. Even if there was, who is there to ask?

Don't think Regan would follow through with an interdict (she's a bit of a blowhard in any case) as derailing the the election now stops what's probably Forbes' best chance of the leadership, and Forbes at least represents her wing of the SNP. Of course the ginger Salmond acolyte perhaps thinks she has a genuine chance of winning some future election..
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

I can't see how he could credibly claim to be elected in the circs. They'd need to redo it with ERS or similar.

The interesting thing is what happens if Ms Forbes wins. It's not as if Ms R has much of a hope at the moment (so she is n ot losing anything by her attitude).
    Who would be the interim leader while the election is rerun by an outside organisation? Do you think it would still be Yousaf? Would he be elected as First Minister?

The whole thing looks a shocking and entirely avoidable mess.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,435
    The SNP is descending into civil war.

Whoever is their new leader has a mammoth and probably insurmountable task to restore unity.

I can’t see any of the candidates doing so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

Surely with Murrell now gone, and so much uncertainty over basic things like how many ballot papers are out there, it makes sense to bring in qualified outsiders to re-run the whole process from the beginning?

The alternative being the whole thing ending up in court, with all the dirty laundry aired in public?
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Absolutely. All potential outcomes are terrible.

Stop the count: Sturgeon remains as temporary leader, despite being completely compromised
    Stop the count alternative: They have to find an interim leader that Holyrood can agree on as FM.
    Carry on: Humza Yousaf wins. Legal challenge issued.
    Carry on alternative: Kate Forbes wins - the Greens fall out of the coalition. Possible failed FM confirmation vote - there's only 28 days to install an FM or we have to have an election.

*fires up Tesco website to order a truckload of popcorn*
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Surely with Murrell now gone, and so much uncertainty over basic things like how many ballot papers are out there, it makes sense to bring in qualified outsiders to re-run the whole process from the beginning?

The alternative being the whole thing ending up in court, with all the dirty laundry aired in public?
    More public than it is right now?

There is more to come out than an inaccurate membership database and a large chunk of money going missing?
  • Options

Strangely, I never minded fag smoke in pubs. Or people doing it in my garden /patio at house parties.

Bothered me virtually everywhere, particularly in restaurants where some people couldn't read the room (or didn't give a crap) and were doing it right up until it was banned in 2007.

One place I miss fag smoke is at gigs. They now smell of dry ice and BO. I went to see a Jesus and Mary Chain reunion gig about 5 or 6 years ago and they were absolutely brilliant. I’d love to know if Jim Reid has a portrait in his attic. But there was a filth at their gigs I went to in the late (very late, like December 1989, just before my 16th!) Eighties that was missing and fag smoke was a key element of that!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,435

Looking back it really does feel bizarre that smoking in restaurants was permitted for as long as it was.

On the pub side, there was a particular charm about a certain sort of pub being smoky - the little country/village inn type with the open fire and little snugs. But on balance I think it’s fair play the whole thing has gone now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Stop the count: Sturgeon remains as temporary leader, despite being completely compromised
    Stop the count alternative: They have to find an interim leader that Holyrood can agree on as FM.
    Carry on alternative: Kate Forbes wins - the Greens fall out of the coalition. Possible failed FM confirmation vote - there's only 28 days to install an FM or we have to have an election.

There is of course another solution.

Yousaf could withdraw.

I don't for a second suppose he will, but it would leave Forbes as party leader and save the party any further horrendous embarrassment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Yousaf could withdraw.

I don't for a second suppose he will, but it would leave Forbes as party leader and save the party any further horrendous embarrassment.
    It is probably the only way to avoid a legal challenge but he won't do it. He's as dumb as rocks, very vain and an all round dreadful human being.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Yousaf could withdraw.

It is probably the only way to avoid a legal challenge but he won't do it. He's as dumb as rocks, very vain and an all round dreadful human being.
    Call me Dr Suspicious, but do I get the feeling you're not a big fan of Mr Yousaf?
  • Options
    Incidentally on a related topic I wonder if this is the scandal Malc has kept hinting at.

Because if it isn't and there really is worse in the background...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    One thing that puzzles me about Ash Regan, apart from her being obviously out of her depth. Isn’t she just a bit to English sounding for this gig?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

My late father’s car smells like a tobacconist after a fire.

It’s one reason why I kept it and sold mine.
    The smoking ban is why you don't see so many dry cleaners nowadays.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

More public than it is right now?

There is more to come out than an inaccurate membership database and a large chunk of money going missing?
    Well I can’t imagine Murrell, nor Mrs Murrell, wanting to answer questions under oath, from people who know where all the bodies are buried.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Yousaf could withdraw.

Call me Dr Suspicious, but do I get the feeling you're not a big fan of Mr Yousaf?
    I am of course neutral ;) Not a party member, although am a Scottish voter and pro-Indy.

Someone I trust totally knows him through work and has an extremely low opinion of him. It couldn't be lower.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

One place I miss fag smoke is at gigs. They now smell of dry ice and BO. I went to see a Jesus and Mary Chain reunion gig about 5 or 6 years ago and they were absolutely brilliant. I’d love to know if Jim Reid has a portrait in his attic. But there was a filth at their gigs I went to in the late (very late, like December 1989, just before my 16th!) Eighties that was missing and fag smoke was a key element of that!
    Actually, Jim Reid for Scotland’s First
    Minister. The Mary Chain being by far my favourite Scottish export save for John Wark.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,975
    FF43 said:

Covid origins: New genetic material from China points to raccoon dogs and other wildlife
    Data collected from market in Wuhan provides ‘strongest evidence’ yet that animals susceptible to Sars-Cov-2 were at traded at the site

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-origins-new-genetic-material-china-points-raccoon-dogs/ (£££)

"It also shows that China is sitting on more data than it has previously released or shared globally."

File under "NS,S...."
    Or they’ve had the time to fabricate it
    I think unlikely Chinese authorities are fabricating evidence of reckless, and as it turned out catastrophic, disregard of food safety. Particularly when they have strenuously denied any such thing, despite the panicky closure of those markets following the outbreak.
    If the alternative is evidence of reckless and as it turned out catastrophic disregard for lab safety?

• Options
    Anyway at 7.10 this morning my youngest son was up and feeding his 6 month baby girl when he received a shout. His wife immediately stepped in to take care of their little daughter as he undertook the following with 2 colleagues

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-tape-boat-north-wales-26503492#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Peter Cook would have had a field day discussing the recent events from Scotland/

Perhaps something more unpleasant might surface about Nicola Sturgeon's resignation, but the last couple of weeks has been full of high farce.
  • Options
    I have now checked the SNP's rules carefully, and if I read them correctly the National Executive Committee could appoint an interim leader in this situation, if the election has to be rerun.

But I keep coming back to - who the hell could they pick?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited March 2023
    Mike didn’t tell me but I’m editing PB on Tuesday it seems.

Trump claims he ‘will be arrested’ on Tuesday in New York criminal case

Ex-president makes remark on Truth Social without any official confirmation of the likelihood or timing of charges being brought

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/18/donald-trump-arrest-stormy-daniels-?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
This discussion has been closed.