Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters give Johnson a 7% chance of being CON general election leader – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited March 2023

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

On topic, Rishi is about to betray Boris Johnson, this will not go down well with the members.

Rishi Sunak will give Conservative MPs a free vote on Boris Johnson’s future if the privileges committee finds that he deliberately misled parliament about Downing Street pandemic parties.

Almost a year after the investigation began, Johnson faces a marathon televised hearing on Wednesday afternoon in which he must convince seven MPs that he was not in contempt of the Commons when he denied claims about lockdown rulebreaking.

If the committee finds against Johnson, he may be suspended from the Commons. A suspension of more than ten days would automatically trigger a recall petition, allowing Johnson’s constituents to force a by-election.

The privileges committee’s verdict would have to be approved by a vote of MPs, and Johnson’s allies are already preparing to use the moment to proclaim his innocence.

Sunak is understood to have decided that he will not whip MPs to protect his predecessor, allowing them instead to make their own decisions.

He is thought to be wary of repeating Johnson’s own approach in 2021, when he tried to overturn a 30-day suspension imposed on Owen Paterson, a former cabinet minister. “There is no way that we are going to get stuck in the hell that is Owen Paterson again,” a government source said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-privileges-committee-partygate-q7677lk20

A lot more are probably happy to vote to save Boris than Paterson but there's also still enough who would rebel if forced to do so that it puts Rishi in a bind. A free vote and even saying he personally won't vote against Boris wouldn't mollify the Boris supporters in or out of Parliament, so may as well do it if the Committee recommends it.

Sunak, if he can force Johnson to be suspended and recalled, should do it. It's very difficult to see how he could win a by-election, which would puncture his mystique and eliminate him as a threat. And if he doesn't contest the by-election, he's out of the Commons and much less important anyway.

I suppose there is a danger his support could then coalesce around another MP, but the truth is there isn't anyone of Johnson's stature to replace him. They would be Peelites without a Peel with a vengeance. At least the 'slice off the top' of 1922 could boast Balfour, Austen Chamberlain, Birkenhead and Horne.
    If the Privileges Committee suspends Johnson for more than 10 days he would surely do best to resign immediately and seek nomination in an alternative safe Tory seat. He's not coming back as PM this parliament anyway; better to bid for LOTO when Sunak loses the election and hope to beat Labour in 2028/9.
    He's surprised me before, but even though he's not really old I'd be surprised if he could be bothered to work that hard when he's already achieved it once already. Just count his millions and get a job on GreatBoris news.
    Work? He wouldn't actually do anything as LOTO, just be the figurehead.
    But if he wanted to be PM again he would have to still expend effort.
  • Options
    Thinking about it we really should all get jobs with the police. I mean, if you cannot get sacked for gross misconduct while you were already on probation, and one senior officer was complaining they cannot sack people prior to criminal conviction, it's clearly the place to be if you want to be abusive or incompetent (preferably just the latter) and face no consequences.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

On topic, Rishi is about to betray Boris Johnson, this will not go down well with the members.

Rishi Sunak will give Conservative MPs a free vote on Boris Johnson’s future if the privileges committee finds that he deliberately misled parliament about Downing Street pandemic parties.

Almost a year after the investigation began, Johnson faces a marathon televised hearing on Wednesday afternoon in which he must convince seven MPs that he was not in contempt of the Commons when he denied claims about lockdown rulebreaking.

If the committee finds against Johnson, he may be suspended from the Commons. A suspension of more than ten days would automatically trigger a recall petition, allowing Johnson’s constituents to force a by-election.

The privileges committee’s verdict would have to be approved by a vote of MPs, and Johnson’s allies are already preparing to use the moment to proclaim his innocence.

Sunak is understood to have decided that he will not whip MPs to protect his predecessor, allowing them instead to make their own decisions.

He is thought to be wary of repeating Johnson’s own approach in 2021, when he tried to overturn a 30-day suspension imposed on Owen Paterson, a former cabinet minister. “There is no way that we are going to get stuck in the hell that is Owen Paterson again,” a government source said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-privileges-committee-partygate-q7677lk20

A lot more are probably happy to vote to save Boris than Paterson but there's also still enough who would rebel if forced to do so that it puts Rishi in a bind. A free vote and even saying he personally won't vote against Boris wouldn't mollify the Boris supporters in or out of Parliament, so may as well do it if the Committee recommends it.

Sunak, if he can force Johnson to be suspended and recalled, should do it. It's very difficult to see how he could win a by-election, which would puncture his mystique and eliminate him as a threat. And if he doesn't contest the by-election, he's out of the Commons and much less important anyway.

I suppose there is a danger his support could then coalesce around another MP, but the truth is there isn't anyone of Johnson's stature to replace him. They would be Peelites without a Peel with a vengeance. At least the 'slice off the top' of 1922 could boast Balfour, Austen Chamberlain, Birkenhead and Horne.
    If the Privileges Committee suspends Johnson for more than 10 days he would surely do best to resign immediately and seek nomination in an alternative safe Tory seat. He's not coming back as PM this parliament anyway; better to bid for LOTO when Sunak loses the election and hope to beat Labour in 2028/9.
    He's surprised me before, but even though he's not really old I'd be surprised if he could be bothered to work that hard when he's already achieved it once already. Just count his millions and get a job on GreatBoris news.
    That worked for Churchill from 1945 to 1951 but wouldn't work now.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,037
    algarkirk said:

Teenagers go in big numbers for something that is only slightly illegal, doesn't land you in prison, highly addictive, oils the wheels of social interaction, is disapproved of the the Guardian and parents, somewhat cool, and is designed to be the alternative to the one that kills you.

What a shock

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/18/uk-health-expert-raises-alarm-at-epidemic-of-vaping-among-teenagers

Can you talk me through how vaping is somewhat cool?
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

latest update from SNP insider who has been extremely accurate up to now!

Rather dramatic. Starting position is generally to be sceptical of exciting claims as by their nature they do not occur very often, but we shall see. It would all be a bit boring if Humza wins and it all just peters out now.
    I'm always sceptical of these kind of things (sounds all a bit QAnon to me). If they have the juice they should just give us the juice rather than vague allusions to 'crimes'.
    Wanting firm details rather than saucy allusions? For the internet I would call that an unpopular opinion.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

This is an underrated prospect imo. Johnson back as LOTO. I'm happy to lay him coming back as Con leader before the GE but not after. It's unlikely but I can see it.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Teenagers go in big numbers for something that is only slightly illegal, doesn't land you in prison, highly addictive, oils the wheels of social interaction, is disapproved of the the Guardian and parents, somewhat cool, and is designed to be the alternative to the one that kills you.

What a shock

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/18/uk-health-expert-raises-alarm-at-epidemic-of-vaping-among-teenagers

I feel a right dick doing it.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    kle4 said:

Thinking about it we really should all get jobs with the police. I mean, if you cannot get sacked for gross misconduct while you were already on probation, and one senior officer was complaining they cannot sack people prior to criminal conviction, it's clearly the place to be if you want to be abusive or incompetent (preferably just the latter) and face no consequences.

OTOH the Chief Constable of Essex has been complaining that pay for his rank and file is now so rubbish that they've been quitting to sell double glazing or work on building sites. Though I suppose most people's wages are inadequate nowadays.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 1. Teenagers think a lot of stupid things are cool
    Step 2. See above

People thought even smoking was cool for crying out loud, well beyond teenage years.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517

algarkirk said:

What a shock

No, I'm too old to understand. But I can remember when for young teens smoking was the coolest thing on earth.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,416
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

That's because you are (IIRC) in your 60s. The same would be true of mamy things that can feel cool if you are a teenager. I expect you would also feel a right dick skateboarding.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223
    malcolmg said:

I am wondering if "Smitty" has ever had anything to do with Scotland's finest. Any investigation by them of anything sensitive is guaranteed to take years. Just look how long they have been "investigating" the "missing" £600k where all the relevant facts have been known for a very long time and the only issue is whether a crime has actually occurred.

It all seems a little overdramatic to me but we shall see. What is surely clear is that Murrell's days as head of the SNP are over. The question is whether his involvement has so tainted this election that the new leadership will have to start again.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330

algarkirk said:

What a shock

I think it feels vaguely naughty without being obviously very harmful to health, and there is a HUGE variety of tastes to try and to share with friends. I don't smoke or vape, but even I feel mildly interested in the range.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    kle4 said:

I've had a rather dim view of the police ever since they tried to frame me for stealing a car and crashing in to a wall, allegedly conspiring with the ambulance service to do so. This was despite the fact that the only reason I had come to their attention was by virtue of the fact that I was a witness to the accident and called 999 to report it. After they realised their mistake, there was no apology, they just mocked me as I told them that the whole experience had made me lose faith in civilised society.

However, rather than dwelling in the trauma I have used it as a 'learning experience', you can't ultimately trust the police, all your dealings with them should be transactional and based on deep suspicion of their motivations. Your line of defence is the justice system and not any assumed trust in the police. That all said, it is better that they exist than they don't exist at all, they do quite well at sorting out big problems.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    DavidL said:

What is surely clear is that Murrell's days as head of the SNP are over. The question is whether his involvement has so tainted this election that the new leadership will have to start again.

And whether Yousless would stand in a rerun contest...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

People thought even smoking was cool for crying out loud, well beyond teenage years.
    Kids these days think using wired headphones is cooler than using wireless headphones.

Bloody weirdos.
  • Options
    I cannot read the whole piece, but first time I've stumbled across a piece sayint that the Ukrainian army - why by most accounts has performed pretty darn well in the last year- is still being held back by Soviet style thinking.

https://www.economist.com/by-invitation/2023/03/17/ukraines-army-must-shed-its-soviet-legacy-says-a-military-expert

“This is essentially two Soviet militaries fighting one another”, lamented the official. https://economist.com/by-invitation/2023/03/17/ukraines-army-must-shed-its-soviet-legacy-says-a-military-expert This is precisely what we have heard from senior Western military officials with close involvement in advising Ukraine—certainly not armchair generals.
    https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1636813547098238976?cxt=HHwWgMCz5fbPkLctAAAA

I cannot imagine it is easy to change a military culture, when it is so damn hard to change even an office culture.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,992
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

That's because you are (IIRC) in your 60s. The same would be true of mamy things that can feel cool if you are a teenager. I expect you would also feel a right dick skateboarding.
    I am 55 and can (just) still ollie... I can also still manual a BMX for the regulation distance (in order not to be a 'wuss') of 2 lamposts.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

What is surely clear is that Murrell's days as head of the SNP are over. The question is whether his involvement has so tainted this election that the new leadership will have to start again.

In fairness to Useless, he is so thick that virtually anything could have been going on around him and he would be genuinely oblivious. But without the Sturgeon divisions his campaign would make Russia's campaign in Ukraine look good.
  • Options

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

Kids these days think using wired headphones is cooler than using wireless headphones.

Bloody weirdos.
    All generations get a bit weird, and that's good. Some are weirder than others. I'm looking at you, 1980s haircuts.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

I was more interested in why Algakirk thought it was cool, since I sense like myself he is at some distance from teenagedom.
    I somewhat atavistically still think smoking is cool, love old photos of people dexterously juggling the slim white cylinders of death. Otoh a gaggle of folk outside pubs or workplaces in a cloud of confectionary scented steam doesn’t do it for me, I find those metal steampunk vaping devices particularly dorky (I’ve used up my annual use of the word dork quota in one hour).
  • Options

algarkirk said:

What a shock

I think it feels vaguely naughty without being obviously very harmful to health, and there is a HUGE variety of tastes to try and to share with friends. I don't smoke or vape, but even I feel mildly interested in the range.
    Nicotine is addictive and harmful. It is just not as harmful as the tars you get from cigarettes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,103
    For those not already feeling old enough, New Order's "Blue Monday" is now 40 years old....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

It all seems a little overdramatic to me but we shall see. What is surely clear is that Murrell's days as head of the SNP are over. The question is whether his involvement has so tainted this election that the new leadership will have to start again.
    It has long been noted it is a bit odd for someone to be party leader and their spouse the chief executive of that party. The appearance of or potential for conflicts there is just rather high, even if they work hard to avoid any actual conflicts. It'd be different if senior positions were held by spouses who were elected, there's some control by virtue of needing to win election.

But even though some rumblings have been found in the darker recesses of the internet it is a bit suspicious to me that so many 'mainstream' SNP people are only now suddenly finding they have a problem with Murrell.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
  • Options

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

I was more interested in why Algakirk thought it was cool, since I sense like myself he is at some distance from teenagedom.
    I somewhat atavistically still think smoking is cool, love old photos of people dexterously juggling the slim white cylinders of death. Otoh a gaggle of folk outside pubs or workplaces in a cloud of confectionary scented steam doesn’t do it for me, I find those metal steampunk vaping devices particularly dorky (I’ve used up my annual use of the word dork quota in one hour).
    I find the varying stench from vaping cloying in a different way to regular smoke irritation, in some ways worse. I only give it a slight pass as several people I know stopped smoking and took up vaping, which is slightly better, and then several of those quit vaping due to cost, so it all worked out.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

No, I'm too old to understand. But I can remember when for young teens smoking was the coolest thing on earth.

I recollect underage drinking in pubs is exciting. It is only later when it is legal that it becomes a bore.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

kle4 said:

OTOH the Chief Constable of Essex has been complaining that pay for his rank and file is now so rubbish that they've been quitting to sell double glazing or work on building sites. Though I suppose most people's wages are inadequate nowadays.
    Or....there are now some right dodgy double glazing sellers, who bailed out of the police before their past caught up with them....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

It has long been noted it is a bit odd for someone to be party leader and their spouse the chief executive of that party. The appearance of or potential for conflicts there is just rather high, even if they work hard to avoid any actual conflicts. It'd be different if senior positions were held by spouses who were elected, there's some control by virtue of needing to win election.

But even though some rumblings have been found in the darker recesses of the internet it is a bit suspicious to me that so many 'mainstream' SNP people are only now suddenly finding they have a problem with Murrell.
    It is not new people knowing there is a problem. It is just that the fear of retribution is now fading. With hindsight the fat crofter losing his position as head of the SNP group in Westminster was a lot more significant step towards Nicola's resignation than was appreciated at the time. It was the first concrete evidence that their control was slipping.
  • Options
    “I would definitely agree with that. I haven’t, I’m afraid, given any thought about how it would be done. But I am definitely on board with the idea of looking into doing it.”

Ash Regan sums up her campaign, and inadvertently describes the SNP’s approach to independence.

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1636839987571245056?s=20
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

I would, yes. Any activity that's unusual for a man of 62, I feel a bit silly if I do it. It covers quite a lot.
  • Options
    ReedReed Posts: 152
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

This is an underrated prospect imo. Johnson back as LOTO. I'm happy to lay him coming back as Con leader before the GE but not after. It's unlikely but I can see it.
    We really need PR to get rid of the 2 party system.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

I find the varying stench from vaping cloying in a different way to regular smoke irritation, in some ways worse. I only give it a slight pass as several people I know stopped smoking and took up vaping, which is slightly better, and then several of those quit vaping due to cost, so it all worked out.
    Vaping is definitely ok in a lesser of two evils, uncool, utilitarian way.
    I’m currently trying to persuade my brother who looks likely to follow my dad in killing himself with fags to take it up, with not much success. I did point out to him that vaping while still having a pack of Embies on the go and wearing a nicotine patch wasn’t really the plan, plus probably not good for him.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

Yes. It brings particular memories. I gave up smoking at age 21. But the 60s and 70s have special smoking memories, and under age drinking. Remember how in cinemas you could see the light from the projector all the way through the air because it was full of smoke.

Tube trains full of smoke. Coffee bars, cafes, on top in buses.

• Options
    Reed said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Yep. However I'm being told you're a troll in a factory somewhere so we'd best not be chatting about it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

Our news folks almost never mention, during the US celebration of St. Patrick's Day, that St. Patrick was English, and that his first visit to Ireland was not entirely voluntary.

Which is too bad, because it's an interesting story.

St. Patrick was from what we today call "England" but he was NOT English, rather he was British Celt.

He wasn't regaling his Irish "hosts" with "Knees Up Mother" or even "Beowulf".
    St Patrick was not English - or from what we today call England. He was from Wales. Born in Banwen near Neath. Arguably the most famous Welshman of all time.
    He's no Ryan Giggs or Mark Drakeford.
    The only Welshman who could challenge him today would be Gareth Bale. But Padrig has been around for longer ..,and will continue to be famous for as long as there is a United States of America.
    My understanding is that our best guess is that St. Patrick was born somewhere in modern day Cumbria.
    That *was* Welsh at the time - hence the Cymru- name.
    Well, sort of. Clearly it wasn't English. I was merely raising a polite eyebrow at the South Wales syggestion (I've since checked Wikipedia, which suggests several locations in Cumbria, as I understood, though also notes the modern South Wales theory - today is the first time I'd heard of that.)
    But calling fourth-century Cumbria Wales is stretching it almost as much as calling it England. Wales certainly wasn't a thing back then either. (Though yes, Cumbria and Cymru come from the same root.)
    I think it is probably most correct to say he was 'British'.
    Not stretching it, surely. 4th c Cumberland was Welsh in the same sense that modern boundary Wales was then - though we have to use the English adjective for want of anything clearer in common speech in English (Brythonic is too specialised, 'British' is dangerously ambiguous). Actually, I find it a useful reminder that Cornwall, Cymru (modern borders) and Cumberland are all 'Welsh" in that sense - or Cymraeg.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Reed said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Yep. However I'm being told you're a troll in a factory somewhere so we'd best not be chatting about it.
    I wouldnt listen to every silly rumour you hear on here.
  • Options
  • Options
    Golly, that means it’ll move to a SLab-Scon stitch up from..er..a Slab-SCon stitch up. Seismic.
  • Options

Golly, that means it’ll move to a SLab-Scon stitch up from..er..a Slab-SCon stitch up. Seismic.
    SNP loss.

Seismic.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

Yes. It brings particular memories. I gave up smoking at age 21. But the 60s and 70s have special smoking memories, and under age drinking. Remember how in cinemas you could see the light from the projector all the way through the air because it was full of smoke.

Your clothes always smelling of smoke after you had been to the pub.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

UBS have ruined my weekend.

I may have to roll out the emergency AV thread tomorrow.

FF43 said:

Covid origins: New genetic material from China points to raccoon dogs and other wildlife
    Data collected from market in Wuhan provides ‘strongest evidence’ yet that animals susceptible to Sars-Cov-2 were at traded at the site

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-origins-new-genetic-material-china-points-raccoon-dogs/ (£££)

"It also shows that China is sitting on more data than it has previously released or shared globally."

File under "NS,S...."
    Or they’ve had the time to fabricate it
    I think unlikely Chinese authorities are fabricating evidence of reckless, and as it turned out catastrophic, disregard of food safety. Particularly when they have strenuously denied any such thing, despite the panicky closure of those markets following the outbreak.
    It does seem to be a reanalysis in the West of data released by China some time back that the Chinese had said didn't show infected animals. On the face of it, it doesn't appear to be the Chinese pushing the story.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/03/covid-origins-research-raccoon-dogs-wuhan-market-lab-leak/673390/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Very difficult to find out the truth though when both China and various conspiracy theorists are pushing their own agendas. I think we will never know, short of regime change in China to a much more open regime.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,879
    edited March 2023

SNP loss.

Seismic.
    Party fighting among themselves like rats in a sack is unpopular with the public, as pretty much every political party has demonstrated at some point in the past few years.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

SNP loss.

Seismic.
    Party fighting among themselves like rats in a sack is unpopular with the public, as pretty much every party has demonstrated over the past few years.
    Eh, council by elections, cannot read much into even unusual ones etc etc. But long may the good times roll.

I am looking forward to the forced bonhomie that occurs after a tough contest though.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Life imitates art. Roderick Spode's inspiration has been fulfilled by Australian Fascists:

https://twitter.com/StrewthQueen/status/1636973829892485122?t=xyIT_WaPtlaIRPmrdLjeKQ&s=19

Ha, saw that and thought exactly the same! A bunch of dorks, but I guess dangerous dorks.

Billy Bragg seems to have pinned his rainbow colours to the mast, to the point that Bindel is now demanding public apologies and threatening him with legal action if it’s not forthcoming.. These free speech folk can be awfully touchy.

Not so much rainbow as baby pink and baby blue….be he’s doing a sterling job telling women what’s what…..

I have a lot of sympathy for Billy Bragg. There he is, playing to rapt audiences in Australia and yet he has a lot on his mind. Somewhere on the other side of the world, some bloody-minded bints have decided to organise themselves without his say so. What were they thinking?

Bragg is deeply disturbed by The Lesbian Project, set up by Julie Bindel and Kathleen Stock with the great Martina Navratilova as a patron . This new organisation wants to advocate for the well-being of lesbians in the UK.

How disgusting is that?

https://suzannemoore.substack.com/p/poor-billy-bragg-not-in-charge-of
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,354
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I was accused of hyperbole by everyone's favourite Sweden based xenophobe for quoting Frazer's 'this is like watching men committing suicide.'

Regardless of whether these rather vague allegations you keep posting are true or not (we'll see) I'm thinking I actually missed on the side of downplaying it.
    Yes for sure and it still looks like at 72K members they are over counting by 20K ( members left but kept on books) and yet they issued 78K votes and expect people to just believe it when Murrell says Humza won. Unfortunately some people who received stray voting papers were not the tame sheeple.
    Betting now is Murrell to be gone by Monday and likely he is already hunkered down in one of their foreign houses.
    Watching from afar, it does appear that not even making a public announcement as to the number of party members entitled to vote, makes it easy for people to suggest something going on behind the scenes.

Labour and the Tories both use ERS to conduct their internal elections, which looks more impartial.
    Using the ERS is basic sanity, given the personality types involved in political parties.

Just the ability to say - “Shut up and go complain to the experts over there” would be worth it
  • Options
    Some musings of Andrew Tate from jail in Romania if you fancy a good laugh.

Enemies of truth lied about me in an attempt to destroy my good name But look, I am more famous than ever before and absolutely nobody believes them I have a greater influence that will allow me to lead men to power and faith I suffer in jail But I also prepare God is Great

https://twitter.com/Cobratate/status/1632484874346024963?s=20
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,021
    Foxy said:

Life imitates art. Roderick Spode's inspiration has been fulfilled by Australian Fascists:

https://twitter.com/StrewthQueen/status/1636973829892485122?t=xyIT_WaPtlaIRPmrdLjeKQ&s=19

To quote the commentator on the video “look at what you’re protecting. Actual f*****g Nazis”

The nature of free speech is that the government doesn’t get to choose who exercises it. If the ‘Nazis’ aren’t breaking the law they get to march up and down and make their silly salutes
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SNP loss.

Seismic.
    Party fighting among themselves like rats in a sack is unpopular with the public, as pretty much every political party has demonstrated at some point in the past few years.
    Fighting? You ain't seen nothing yet....whoever wins the leadership vote.

Assuming always the contest doesn't get injuncted. Which will break out MAD.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

I’m currently trying to persuade my brother who looks likely to follow my dad in killing himself with fags to take it up, with not much success. I did point out to him that vaping while still having a pack of Embies on the go and wearing a nicotine patch wasn’t really the plan, plus probably not good for him.
    It's so hard if you're a 'lifer' and 'cutting down' is a recipe for always thinking about it. Kind of the worst of both worlds. No advice, since I haven't managed to quit, but I hope your brother finds the key.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

Indeed, is it all 5d chess by the SNP to void the contest, and get some other candidate to stand?
  • Options
    Reed said:

Enemies of truth lied about me in an attempt to destroy my good name But look, I am more famous than ever before and absolutely nobody believes them I have a greater influence that will allow me to lead men to power and faith I suffer in jail But I also prepare God is Great

Well, he is right about being more famous as I'd never heard of him until that Greta tweet in response to him days before his arrest.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672

SNP loss.

Seismic.
    Comparing second seat on the slate in a normal election with a first and only seat in a by electiopn with a differentd and smaller turnout that favours the Tories' postal voting ...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,142

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

Bloody weirdos.
    Do they still think vinyl LPs are cool too ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If you have keep face eating leopards, publicly announce that face eating doesn’t get punished…..

There was a scheme for graduate direct entry at a moderately senior rank a while back.

The ranks and file police complained that the people recruited didn’t understand police culture.
  • Options
    Reed said:

He speaks like an anime character. I hope he gets broomhandled in that Romanian shithole.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SNP loss.

Seismic.
    Fighting? You ain't seen nothing yet....whoever wins the leadership vote.

Assuming always the contest doesn't get injuncted. Which will break out MAD.
    One does get the impression, watching from afar, that it could all get much worse in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Black Rock looking to buy Credit Suisse.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Ha, saw that and thought exactly the same! A bunch of dorks, but I guess dangerous dorks.

Billy Bragg seems to have pinned his rainbow colours to the mast, to the point that Bindel is now demanding public apologies and threatening him with legal action if it’s not forthcoming.. These free speech folk can be awfully touchy.

Not so much rainbow as baby pink and baby blue….be he’s doing a sterling job telling women what’s what…..

I have a lot of sympathy for Billy Bragg. There he is, playing to rapt audiences in Australia and yet he has a lot on his mind. Somewhere on the other side of the world, some bloody-minded bints have decided to organise themselves without his say so. What were they thinking?

Bragg is deeply disturbed by The Lesbian Project, set up by Julie Bindel and Kathleen Stock with the great Martina Navratilova as a patron . This new organisation wants to advocate for the well-being of lesbians in the UK.

How disgusting is that?

You’d think the ‘decent’ GCs might be more concerned about the Nazi blokes with the ‘Kill Paedo Freaks’ banner. Have any of them made outright condemnations of these types who seem to follow them around like a bad smell rather than bleating nothing to do with us, guv?
  • Options
    Reed said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

Your clothes always smelling of smoke after you had been to the pub.
    I've never smoked but both my parents did in the house. It was only after I left home that I realised my clothes at school must have reeked every day. Never noticed at the time of course.
  • Options

Foxy said:

To quote the commentator on the video “look at what you’re protecting. Actual f*****g Nazis”

The nature of free speech is that the government doesn’t get to choose who exercises it. If the ‘Nazis’ aren’t breaking the law they get to march up and down and make their silly salutes
    I definitely in favour of Nazis being able to parade around in public.

It means we know exactly where the fuckers are.

Preferably less than 500 yards away. And no cross wind.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sure, I have no problems Nazis marching, as long as they are not inciting violence, just find the black shorts hilarious, and a little bit homoerotic.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

It's so hard if you're a 'lifer' and 'cutting down' is a recipe for always thinking about it. Kind of the worst of both worlds. No advice, since I haven't managed to quit, but I hope your brother finds the key.
    Thanks, but I’m not hopeful. He has 30 years of mental illness to add to the mix 🙁
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SNP loss.

Seismic.
    Comparing second seat on the slate in a normal election with a first and only seat in a by electiopn with a differentd and smaller turnout that favours the Tories' postal voting ...
    Still. SNP loss.

A phrase we can expect to hear much more of in coming months...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Reed said:

He speaks like an anime character. I hope he gets broomhandled in that Romanian shithole.
    Interesting how all the schoolkids in england know who he is. He has certainly developed some reach.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I was accused of hyperbole by everyone's favourite Sweden based xenophobe for quoting Frazer's 'this is like watching men committing suicide.'

Regardless of whether these rather vague allegations you keep posting are true or not (we'll see) I'm thinking I actually missed on the side of downplaying it.
    Yes for sure and it still looks like at 72K members they are over counting by 20K ( members left but kept on books) and yet they issued 78K votes and expect people to just believe it when Murrell says Humza won. Unfortunately some people who received stray voting papers were not the tame sheeple.
    Betting now is Murrell to be gone by Monday and likely he is already hunkered down in one of their foreign houses.
    Watching from afar, it does appear that not even making a public announcement as to the number of party members entitled to vote, makes it easy for people to suggest something going on behind the scenes.

Labour and the Tories both use ERS to conduct their internal elections, which looks more impartial.
    Using the ERS is basic sanity, given the personality types involved in political parties.

Just the ability to say - “Shut up and go complain to the experts over there” would be worth it
    I don’t ever recall people complaining about the integrity of a party election before. People complain about the rules being the rules, or the eligibility criteria, but not the actual counting of the votes. That’s what happens when you have an independent organisation counting the votes.
  • Options
    Just spoke to a senior member of the SNP's NEC. They say they have the numbers for a vote of no confidence in Peter Murrell. They're calling on him to resign TODAY.

https://twitter.com/andrewlearmonth/status/1637018409471713280?s=20
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,728

Even banking gone woke, bringing race and nationality into everything. First it was the schools, then the venison, now the banks. I can't keep up with it all.
  • Options
    Reed said:

Dura_Ace said:

Reed said:

Interesting how all the schoolkids in england know who he is. He has certainly developed some reach.
    My sister had to explain the meanings of rape and human trafficking, to her primary school aged boys, when Tate was arrested.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

That seems like a poor match but better than dragging UBS down.
  • Options
    Reed said:

kinabalu said:

Reed said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I wouldnt listen to every silly rumour you hear on here.
    Apart from the Hezza and Megs ones obvs.
  • Options
    This warmongering Russian twat does know Turkey is in NATO?

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1637034184228192257
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It does look like my advice last Saturday to get out of finance stocks first thing Monday was good advice
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

I cannot read the whole piece, but first time I've stumbled across a piece sayint that the Ukrainian army - why by most accounts has performed pretty darn well in the last year- is still being held back by Soviet style thinking.

https://www.economist.com/by-invitation/2023/03/17/ukraines-army-must-shed-its-soviet-legacy-says-a-military-expert

“This is essentially two Soviet militaries fighting one another”, lamented the official. https://economist.com/by-invitation/2023/03/17/ukraines-army-must-shed-its-soviet-legacy-says-a-military-expert This is precisely what we have heard from senior Western military officials with close involvement in advising Ukraine—certainly not armchair generals.
    https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1636813547098238976?cxt=HHwWgMCz5fbPkLctAAAA

I cannot imagine it is easy to change a military culture, when it is so damn hard to change even an office culture.

Zaluzhny is relatively young at 49 to be a head of the armed forces. Much has been made of the fact that he a post-Soviet soldier who never served in the Soviet army. And is thought to want to move the mindset westwards. I presume the problems are likely further down the chain.

Others on here will know much more about running organisations than me but it feels a bit paradoxical to have a leader who supposedly wants to encourage more autonomy but those lower down are used to being ordered exactly what to do.
  • Options

Given the lack of men, tanks, and ammunition, exactly what does this warmongering Russian propose they use to march on Constantinople, and deal with NATO’s army when they arrive?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think the Swiss authorities want it to be UBS for national pride reasons.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Given the lack of men, tanks, and ammunition, exactly what does this warmongering Russian propose they use to march on Constantinople, and deal with NATO’s army when they arrive?
    More interestingly, he is giving ammunition to China to take back Vladivostok and other parts of formerly-China Russia...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I don’t ever recall people complaining about the integrity of a party election before. People complain about the rules being the rules, or the eligibility criteria, but not the actual counting of the votes. That’s what happens when you have an independent organisation counting the votes.
    Wasnt there threats of court action in one of the labour contests?
  • Options

Even banking gone woke, bringing race and nationality into everything. First it was the schools, then the venison, now the banks. I can't keep up with it all.
    Surely should be People of Colour Rock by now?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Wasnt there threats of court action in one of the labour contests?
    From memory, Corbyn went to court to be allowed to stand in the election, after he had received a vote of no confidence from Labour MPs. The rules didn’t state that the leader couldn’t stand, but that was how it was interpreted.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

Nukes . It's their default threat and solves everything.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

An army that can't take Bakhmut is going to take Constantinople? Right.
  • Options
    Could this get any funnier?

@ScotNational
    NEW: The SNP internal body has asked Peter Murrell to confirm his exit date as chief executive by the end of the day - or face a no confidence motion

Well, yes it could...

@CllrSMcCabe
    That sounds like constructive dismissal to me. He may sue and as we know he has deep pockets...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

African American Rock.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,142

Foxy said:

How disgusting is that?

You’d think the ‘decent’ GCs might be more concerned about the Nazi blokes with the ‘Kill Paedo Freaks’ banner. Have any of them made outright condemnations of these types who seem to follow them around like a bad smell rather than bleating nothing to do with us, guv?
    ‘Not obsessed’
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited March 2023
    Well now.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

The Russians shall not have Constantinople!
  • Options
    @BloombergUK
    5m
    BlackRock says it has no interest in acquiring Credit Suisse or any of its assets, denying a FT report trib.al/NEPftB1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,943

I mentioned this to Mrs J. Her eyes widened, she saw I was serious, and then she then burst into maniacal laughter.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

More interestingly, he is giving ammunition to China to take back Vladivostok and other parts of formerly-China Russia...
    I know that war is anything but funny, but I’d laugh like a drain if Winnie The Pooh started making noises on the Russia/China border.
  • Options
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

The Russians shall not have Constantinople!
    Alexander II got to the gates and they would have had it anyway if they hadn't Rexited from Sykes-Picot.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,728
    Foxy said:

I prefer People and other AIs of Colour, Stones of all Shapes and Genders Bank
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

How disgusting is that?

‘Not obsessed’
    Not obsessed with scampering after my posts.

You’ll be telling me next that blokes shouldn’t be commenting on this issue at all.
  • Options
    Will the Murrel's be in the posh seats at the Rugby today, or do they have other plans...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

What a shock

Step 2. See above

Thanks, but I’m not hopeful. He has 30 years of mental illness to add to the mix 🙁
    Ah far more to grapple with than the fags then. Still, you never know and it would be a great thing for him to pull off. Bit like It's a Wonderful Life, every time a lifer succeeds in quitting the fags (other than by the darkly obvious method) an angel up above rings a little bell.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I know that war is anything but funny, but I’d laugh like a drain if Winnie The Pooh started making noises on the Russia/China border.
    Then it really would have to be down to nukes saving everything east of the Urals.

The war games will be being played out in Beijing, just in case. Filed under "Easier than Taiwan"...
This discussion has been closed.