Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Who’s Fooling Whom? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Fifa have banned Harry Kane and England from wearing the 'OneLove' armband at World Cup.

✍️ @SamWallaceTel and @JBurtTelegraph

#TelegraphFootball #FIFAWorldCup

Time to bet on England not getting out of the group? I do hope there is a showdown and we tell FIFA to do one.
    I hope the FA talk to all the other European ones and they act in unison.
    So gestures.

Taking the knee.

Not apparently wearing armbands.

Possibly making the hair cutting gesture.

What about also turning to the FIFA VIP box and doing the dickhead sign?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Sandpit said:

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

Fifa have banned Harry Kane and England from wearing the 'OneLove' armband at World Cup.

to be fair this was pointless virtue signalling by england, im pretty sure many of the players would be uncomfortable with an openly gay player in the dressing room regardless of what they say.
    Isn't that exactly why the OneLove armband might be needed?
    but to do it in qatar where gays are reviled would be deliberately inflammatory
    One would have a lot more support for virtue signalling footballers, if their actions actually carried a risk.

It’s easy to protest about something when most people will cheer you on, it takes real guts to do it when people will object.
    Hence the bravery if they do the Iranian protest snip gesture. That would be properly controversial and risky
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Time to bet on England not getting out of the group? I do hope there is a showdown and we tell FIFA to do one.
    So gestures.

Taking the knee.

Anything we can do to offend Qatar, FIFA and homophobes in the middle east is fine with me.
  • Options
    We should arrange a friendly with Qatar and send out our women's team
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I admit I don't really understand the issues around trans versus women's rights, but I get the impression people who are thoughtful and want to do the right thing are treading warily on this. For the timebeing I am willing to give Nicola Sturgeon the benefit of the doubt - that she is tackling something she doesn't think has a clear solution but isn't in a position to say so.

She is after all a woman, and a somewhat feminist one at that.

The problem here is that, to date, nearly all progressive issues have been one way. That is improve the rights of a “protected” group, that’s it.

This issue is new, in that there is an issue of the rights of 2 “protected” groups. This shouldn’t be a surprise. Much of government in a socially democratic liberal democracy is about arbitrating when rights of groups meet.

However, having to choose, like this, is unfamiliar to many of a progressive bent. How can a progressive measure be less than an alloyed good? An obvious truth?
    I get that, in broad terms we have conflicting rights. So what do you do? Do you not bother to reconcile the irreconcilable - which I suspect is Sturgeon's position? Or do you attempt futilely to bridge two entrenched positions? (One or both of which might be justifiably entrenched for what I know?)
    What about having a debate and muddling along with an inadequate-but-better-than-nothing-compromise that does it’s best to meet both sides? But probably fails.

That seems to me the human thing to do.
  • Options

That's a bit sexist, implying our women are only a level with Qatar.

We should send our U12 side instead.
  • Options

They are too white. Didn’t you get the memo?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

So gestures.

Taking the knee.

Anything we can do to offend Qatar, FIFA and homophobes in the middle east is fine with me.
    Well, it's not 'we' who would be doing it.

But I must admit, my opinion of the England football side would go up multiple notches if they did it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    edited November 2022

I like this Nike ad

This new Nike World-Cup ad is unbelievable 😂
    https://twitter.com/fuegoxt/status/1592841724996780032/video/1
  • Options

They are too white. Didn’t you get the memo?

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

to be fair this was pointless virtue signalling by england, im pretty sure many of the players would be uncomfortable with an openly gay player in the dressing room regardless of what they say.
    Good. What is the point of protest if it does not disturb the status quo? I have no time for bladder kickers as a rule and certainly am avoiding the World Cup because of the way in which the venue was decided but I might change my mind on that if they actually decide to use it as an opportunity to shake the tree.
    The original Cassius Clay was very inflammatory when he gave speeches in slaves states condemning slavery. I like his response to that.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I've always found the 1970 election a bit of a mystery.

Why did Wilson hold it early?
    Why did the Tories achieve an unexpected win?
    What if Labour had waited until 1971?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

One would have a lot more support for virtue signalling footballers, if their actions actually carried a risk.

It’s easy to protest about something when most people will cheer you on, it takes real guts to do it when people will object.
    Hence the bravery if they do the Iranian protest snip gesture. That would be properly controversial and risky
    Yep, Iranian protest gestures, throwing money gestures, drinking beer gestures - anything that will genuinely annoy the powers that be at the tournament.

Get so many players and teams doing it, that they can’t all be sent home. But that jeopardy is the key to the protests.
  • Options
    I've just realised that I'm massively racist in my musical taste

I like about ten times more black music than I do white music
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    "Above all, it’s about whether Ms Sturgeon is a straight politician as she likes to claim".

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    DJ41 said:

"Above all, it’s about whether Ms Sturgeon is a straight politician as she likes to claim".

super injunction
  • Options

Appropriator.
  • Options

kle4 said:

FPT

ping said:

Looks like Ecuador are assured of three points.

Brazil and Argentina flags everywhere in Calicut, in north Kerala. Followed by Portugal. Massive cardboard cut-outs of Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo abound too! Big screen on the beach!

Are you there, now?

I had a fun couple of weeks in Kerala, a few years back.
    Glad you had a good time! Yes, here since Friday.

How are the trains in Kerala?
    This might come as quite a shock, but haven't ridden any trains in India since 2002! That said the coastal route in northern Kerala has been doubled and electrified since then.
    Is there a connection between Kerala having a communist government and being the best educated and most prosperous region of India? PB Tories would like to know.
    Actually, the Communists haven't always been in power since Kerala's borders were drawn up in 1956!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Kerala
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

So gestures.

Taking the knee.

But I must admit, my opinion of the England football side would go up multiple notches if they did it.
    As well as being truly classy, and exceptionally well-mannered behaviour by guests in a foreign country, the whole English team doing the dickhead sign would also raise spirits immeasurably in Scotland. Please do it, lads.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The attempt to silence debate on the trans issue - seen here tonight, any in many other places in the last few years - is actually counter-productive. It makes me MORE suspicious that something sinister or deeply contentious is being attempted

If you have a good case, you are happy to argue it. You don't quickly mumble "well this is what I want changed and it's too trivial for you to care so don't ever talk about it, you'll only encourage bigots"

Is the excuse of finding it bewildering nonsense not sufficient? Whilst it's perfectly fine for these issues to be explored in law, it can't be a new thing. We've just got on with our lives and accepted that 'uncle whatever' is a bit odd for thousands of years. Clearly that precident isn't good, because there's a lot that is now illegal that whatsoever may have done. Equally there's much that may then have seen him hanged that is now entirely accepted.
    Anyone older than about 35 finds it bewildering. But this is why it really isn't nonsense

The trans issue is bewildering because the proposals are so radical they seem unreal. "A man can say he is a woman, and thus he is legally a woman, with all of a biological woman's rights, hard won over centuries"

It is bewildering - and it is important
    Important is a tricky word as you've used it.

Whatever-people need to have their whatever-concerns heard; that's fundamental.

Should it be a topic for mainstream debate? No.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited November 2022
    Quiz question.
    Prior to this tournament only 4 players have appeared in 5 World Cups.
    4 more will do so this time* (2 very easy, other 2 from the same country).
    Without googling.

*Includes being in squad but not, necessarily playing.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

So gestures.

Taking the knee.

As well as being truly classy, and exceptionally well-mannered behaviour by guests in a foreign country, the whole English team doing the dickhead sign would also raise spirits immeasurably in Scotland. Please do it, lads.
    Watching a (small) bunch of Scottish knuckleheads wearing shirts and waving flags of the country that is seeking to oppress women, clamp down on protests, and arming the Russians, is going to be one of tomorrow’s highlights.

Obviously I don’t mean Scotland flags and shirts, because Scotland isn’t arming Russia.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I admit I don't really understand the issues around trans versus women's rights, but I get the impression people who are thoughtful and want to do the right thing are treading warily on this. For the timebeing I am willing to give Nicola Sturgeon the benefit of the doubt - that she is tackling something she doesn't think has a clear solution but isn't in a position to say so.

She is after all a woman, and a somewhat feminist one at that.

The problem here is that, to date, nearly all progressive issues have been one way. That is improve the rights of a “protected” group, that’s it.

This issue is new, in that there is an issue of the rights of 2 “protected” groups. This shouldn’t be a surprise. Much of government in a socially democratic liberal democracy is about arbitrating when rights of groups meet.

However, having to choose, like this, is unfamiliar to many of a progressive bent. How can a progressive measure be less than an alloyed good? An obvious truth?
    I get that, in broad terms we have conflicting rights. So what do you do? Do you not bother to reconcile the irreconcilable - which I suspect is Sturgeon's position? Or do you attempt futilely to bridge two entrenched positions? (One or both of which might be justifiably entrenched for what I know?)
    What about having a debate and muddling along with an inadequate-but-better-than-nothing-compromise that does it’s best to meet both sides? But probably fails.

That seems to me the human thing to do.
    That was the second of my suggestions. But yes. Futilely attempting to reconcile two incompatible positions might be better than pretending they are reconciled.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    pillsbury said:

Appropriator.
    I was disgusted to hear of Mexican fans arriving in Qatar wearing sombreros. Absolutely disgusting cultural appropriation.
    Everyone knows sombreros belong to the Norwich Mexican restaurant Pedros…
  • Options
    Ooops, almost 1AM here, so good night, don't let the VAR bite!
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Appropriator.
    What I seem to most like are white songs “appropriated” by black singers

Like this one

Sunshine Of Your Love by Spanky Wilson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqeHBijLfg
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The attempt to silence debate on the trans issue - seen here tonight, any in many other places in the last few years - is actually counter-productive. It makes me MORE suspicious that something sinister or deeply contentious is being attempted

If you have a good case, you are happy to argue it. You don't quickly mumble "well this is what I want changed and it's too trivial for you to care so don't ever talk about it, you'll only encourage bigots"

Is the excuse of finding it bewildering nonsense not sufficient? Whilst it's perfectly fine for these issues to be explored in law, it can't be a new thing. We've just got on with our lives and accepted that 'uncle whatever' is a bit odd for thousands of years. Clearly that precident isn't good, because there's a lot that is now illegal that whatsoever may have done. Equally there's much that may then have seen him hanged that is now entirely accepted.
    Anyone older than about 35 finds it bewildering. But this is why it really isn't nonsense

The trans issue is bewildering because the proposals are so radical they seem unreal. "A man can say he is a woman, and thus he is legally a woman, with all of a biological woman's rights, hard won over centuries"

Depends whether you consider women (cis, had-a-vagina-since-birth women) to be whatever-people, or mainstream. Tricky one.
  • Options
    LOL, Ecuador fans starting things off well for the hosts:

Chanting “Queremos Cerveza”: “We Want Beer”.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1594392005764956167
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

So major changes should be made without mainstream debate?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    I hope England and Netherlands both agree to wear the rainbow armbands tomorrow. Two liberal European countries making their voice heard that you can buy hosting the world cup but you can't silence the competitors.

Even better if an England scorer does the Iran hair cutting goal celebration.
  • Options
    Good to see @Cyclefree back!!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    I continue to be astonished when politicians are able to be so clearly self-contradictory, for so long, without it destroying their credibility.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue itself, why would you trust a word Sturgeon says when she is willing to lie so clearly?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,310
    edited November 2022
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

So gestures.

Taking the knee.

I recall seeing former England star and professional alcoholic, Paul Merson, celebrating a goal by miming the consumption of numerous shots of drink. At the time I thought it a bit dumb but I'd laugh my shorts off if England adopted it for their goals.

I'd also like to see the goalscorers receive kisses from all their team-mates, but not the superficial peck-on-the-cheek type. I want to see tongues down the throat and much rolling around on the ground in overtly sexual passion.

It would make the choice of Qatar as a venue a decent one after all.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Do tell me about these 'major changes'.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

So gestures.

Taking the knee.

I recall seeing former England star and professional alcoholic, Paul Merson, celebrating a goal by miming the consumption of numerous shots of drink. At the time I thought it a bit dumb but I'd laugh my shorts off if England adopted it for their goals.

I'd also like to see the goalscorers receive kisses from all their team-mates, but not the superficial peck-on-the-cheek type, but tongues down the throat and rolling around on the ground in overtly sexual passion.

Sounds a bit indecent to me actually!
  • Options
    I think this thread needs some Fanny

Bowie said they were his favourite band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE3uwtegPEY
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Omnium said:

Driver said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Apparently major enough to require legislation.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    Sandpit said:

Wouldn’t it be a shame (not) if having paid FIFA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to host the World Cup, Qatar’s reputation is thereby trashed like Ratner’s.
  • Options

Musical conundrum of the evening: Youtube has decided that if I want to listen to the Band I also want to listen to the Grateful Dead. Fine by me, but how do you write, and perform brilliantly for decades, songs as complex as Terrapin Station and hundreds of others, in time and in tune, night after night, while being out of it on every Class A known to man, and Jack Daniels?

Any drunk musicians here care to comment?
  • Options
    That's an impressive litany of issues. Did they find time to do any policing?

The Welsh secretary has said he is "appalled" following fresh allegations of misconduct within a police force.

The report revealed new findings of misogyny, racism, homophobia and corruption within Gwent Police, including among serving officers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63689022
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Driver said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Apparently major enough to require legislation.
    Let's see how it pans out then.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    Practish, man. Hic!
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Musical conundrum of the evening: Youtube has decided that if I want to listen to the Band I also want to listen to the Grateful Dead. Fine by me, but how do you write, and perform brilliantly for decades, songs as complex as Terrapin Station and hundreds of others, in time and in tune, night after night, while being out of it on every Class A known to man, and Jack Daniels?

Any drunk musicians here care to comment?
    How else can you get a Ben & Jerry's named after you?
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Sandpit said:

Wouldn’t it be a shame (not) if having paid FIFA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to host the World Cup, Qatar’s reputation is thereby trashed like Ratner’s.
    And house refugees in the Shard? Sounds good to me!

To take more of a bird's eye view: is the purpose of the hoo-hah to get more people to watch, see ads, and buy stuff with money they haven't got, or on the contrary are the big sellers who buy the ads basically saying f*** it, just let any old sh*t happen, because the state of the economy as we know it isn't going to exist much longer anyway?

Fiendish PR, or impending breakdown?

It could be the latter, because if the will had been there among the guys with the money, this would have been stomped on even if it everyone could see it would make lots of talk on Sh*tter.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Mid evening all :)

@FrankBooth - in his book, "Life at the Centre" Roy Jenkins said he didn't think the extension of the franchise to 18-21 year olds enabled by the Representation of the People Act passed the previous year had done Labour any favours. He thought in particular young women less Labour-inclined than their mothers (I don't know if there's any actual evidence the new cohort of voters polled disproportionately more pro-Conservative than expected or in numbers enough to make a difference).

The 1966 Labour win was built on a 6% gap between Wilson (48%) and Heath (42%). It was reversed on a 4.7% swing which left the Conservatives on 46.5% and Labour on 43% so not a huge difference in vote share but that swing 75 seats from Labour and with the improved Conservative share also taking Liberal seats it was enough for a 30-seat majority.

As we see in America now, when you have two blocs polling 90% of the vote the change in seats is greater than the change in votes might suggest. I think then there were many more marginal seats than there are now for demographic and geographic reasons.
  • Options
    Some more Fanny, just in case anybody wasn't encouraged enough by Bowie's recommendation

This band was brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4l7Li4gnnY
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I'm not sufficiently in the trans debate to have a qualified view, but a warm welcome back to Cyclefree!
  • Options

Some more Fanny, just in case anybody wasn't encouraged enough by Bowie's recommendation

This band was brilliant

You can hear them Rebel, Rebel and Heroes in that.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

So gestures.

Taking the knee.

I'd also like to see the goalscorers receive kisses from all their team-mates, but not the superficial peck-on-the-cheek type. I want to see tongues down the throat and much rolling around on the ground in overtly sexual passion.

Haven't they been doing this for years? You thought they were all over each other? They are now.
  • Options

This band was brilliant

@BlancheLivermore 's musical recommendations are a great reason to come to PB at the moment. I'd never heard of Fanny, or Jenny and the Mexicats (another great discovery from a few days ago). Thank you!
  • Options

This band was brilliant

@BlancheLivermore 's musical recommendations are a great reason to come to PB at the moment. I'd never heard of Fanny, or Jenny and the Mexicats (another great discovery from a few days ago). Thank you!
    Hey, once I was a boogie singer
    Playin' in a rock-and-roll band
    I never had no problems
    Burnin' down the one-night stands

And everything around me
    Got to start to feelin' so low
    And I decided quickly
    Yes, I did
    To disco down and check out the show

Yeah they were dancin' and singin'
    And movin' to the groovin'
    And just when it hit me
    Livermore turned around and shouted

"Play that funky music, white boy
    Play that funky music right
    Play that funky music, white boy
    Lay down that boogie
    And play that funky music 'til you die."
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

WTF?
  • Options
    Driver said:

Heathener said:

Politicalbetting would be a far better place if people stopped writing articles and comments about trans issues.

It's irrelevant to politics and it brings out the worst in the hard right wingers and trans exclusionary radical feminists.

Let people get on with their lives and stop f-ing obsessing about an irrelevant topic in the grand scheme.

"People who disagree with me should shut up".
    She's an intelligent poster most of the time but I'm afraid this is how her generation is wired. It's part of the insidious effects of Woke.

As far as they're concerned the issue isn't up for discussion.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,022
    To be fair, Nicola Sturgeon may not be lying to Holyrood. It’s possible that her government is lying to the courts instead.
  • Options

I've always found the 1970 election a bit of a mystery.

Why did Wilson hold it early?
    Why did the Tories achieve an unexpected win?
    What if Labour had waited until 1971?

Wilson always claimed that he had pencilled in a Spring 1970 election soon after his 1966 victory - though I am far from convinced about that. Labour's electoral fortunes were utterly dire from Spring 1967 through until Summer 1969. That Autumn the economic data turned in the Government's favour as the Balance of Payments moved into a strong surplus. The Tory lead fell back to low single figures at Party Conference time before increasing back to double figures at the beginning of 1970. Roy Jenkins delivered a steady non -electioneering Budget and in late April two polls did record small Labour leads for the first time in three years. Labour did not fare too well at the April County Council elections though it did reduce the Tory majority on the GLC and regained control of the Inner London Education Authority. A month later the party performed unexpectedly well at the Urban and City Local Elections - making circa 500 net gains - and that was followed on 12th May by a Gallup poll recording a 7.5% Labour lead. Other pollsters confirmed the Labour lead albeit by a much smaller margin. After a week of intense election speculation Wilson announced the election on 18th May to be held on 18th June. Labour remained firm favourites throughout the campaign though in the closing days there were somewhat disappointing Trade figures - and England was defeated in the World Cup Quarter Finals by West Germany on the Sunday before Polling Day. Final polls ranged from a 9.6% Labour lead by Marplan to a 1% Tory lead by ORC. Few believed the latter - though the Tories won by 2.5% across GB. There certainly appeared to be some evidence of a late swing to the Tories, and quite a few have speculated as to whether Labour would have won had Polling Day been a week earlier on 11th June. In truth nine months or so of economic sunshine after more than two years of depressed living standards probably meant that any Labour lead was pretty soft. By Autumn 1970 it might have become somewhat firmer.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    kle4 said:

That's an impressive litany of issues. Did they find time to do any policing?

The Welsh secretary has said he is "appalled" following fresh allegations of misconduct within a police force.

The report revealed new findings of misogyny, racism, homophobia and corruption within Gwent Police, including among serving officers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63689022

I have a friend who was on the wrong end of disgusting racism by Welsh police.

Purely down to having kept her ex-husbands surname.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

WTF?
    So things are too important to allow The Head Count to speak on them. Such matters are reserved to the Senate, under The Way Of The Fathers.

And if you disagree a bit too loudly we’ll get some guys from the crossroads taverns to chop you into little bits.
  • Options
    DrkBDrkB Posts: 68

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

Good. What is the point of protest if it does not disturb the status quo? I have no time for bladder kickers as a rule and certainly am avoiding the World Cup because of the way in which the venue was decided but I might change my mind on that if they actually decide to use it as an opportunity to shake the tree.
    Bear in mind homosexuality was illegal in the uk as recent as the 1960s...should we revile english people of the 1960s as disgusting homophobes.
  • Options

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Politicalbetting would be a far better place if people stopped writing articles and comments about trans issues.

It's irrelevant to politics and it brings out the worst in the hard right wingers and trans exclusionary radical feminists.

Let people get on with their lives and stop f-ing obsessing about an irrelevant topic in the grand scheme.

She's an intelligent poster most of the time but I'm afraid this is how her generation is wired. It's part of the insidious effects of Woke.

Her generation? Are you sure? I was under the impression she is mid fifties or sixties.
  • Options
    DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

That's an interesting point actually.

How much have attitudes really, seriously, changed and how much of it is just very strong social proof with actual tolerance only skin-deep?

I'm not sure but, I suspect, it would easily return if the rules were different as fundamentally authoritarianism is buried deep within us.
  • Options

Driver said:

Heathener said:

They HOPE it isn't up for discussion. And they succeeded for years, until Mermaids/Stonewall etc
  • Options

This band was brilliant

The Midnight Special was a cracking programme. There is a great clip of Little Feat doing Dixie Chicken with Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris doing backing vocals.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,219
    edited November 2022
    My favourite thing right now is the beer advent calendar my dad’s bought me

It’s quite a show off in the middle of my kitchen floor

I’ve put in a 33cl can of beer for scale

• Options

That's also interesting. If I go through virtually any musical genre I care to think of, Jazz, Blues, Rock & Roll, Disco etc. they have very strong roots in black culture. Although personally I don't care for R&B and hip-hop.

I'm not sure why this is the case, but it's interesting.
  • Options

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

How much have attitudes really, seriously, changed and how much of it is just very strong social proof with actual tolerance only skin-deep?

I'm not sure but, I suspect, it would easily return if the rules were different as fundamentally authoritarianism is buried deep within us.
    I’m not sure that young footballers would be that bothered by an openly gay colleague in the dressing room tbh. They are not the same as footballers past.
  • Options

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Her generation? Are you sure? I was under the impression she is mid fifties or sixties.
    I thought she was very young.

Happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken.
  • Options
    DrkB said:

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

Bear in mind homosexuality was illegal in the uk as recent as the 1960s...should we revile english people of the 1960s as disgusting homophobes.
    Plenty of people do.
  • Options
    DrkB said:

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

We should certainly revile the state for having prosecuted people for being gay.
  • Options

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Her backstory is a little incoherent. I thought the same - 50s or 60s, quite well traveled, - but she also claims to have a child at school

Hey, every PB-er is entitled to say whatever they like about themselves, and if they volunteer this info, then we are free to speculate on it. I've actually heard people questioning whether I am really an artisanal knapper of flint sex toys. No, really
  • Options

Driver said:

Heathener said:

I thought she was very young.

Happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken.
    Stories of wielding a stick in shops when the great unmasked dared approach within 5m suggested age, but of course could be other infirmity.
  • Options
    barrykennabarrykenna Posts: 206
    edited November 2022
    stodge said:

Mid evening all :)

@FrankBooth - in his book, "Life at the Centre" Roy Jenkins said he didn't think the extension of the franchise to 18-21 year olds enabled by the Representation of the People Act passed the previous year had done Labour any favours. He thought in particular young women less Labour-inclined than their mothers (I don't know if there's any actual evidence the new cohort of voters polled disproportionately more pro-Conservative than expected or in numbers enough to make a difference).

The 1966 Labour win was built on a 6% gap between Wilson (48%) and Heath (42%). It was reversed on a 4.7% swing which left the Conservatives on 46.5% and Labour on 43% so not a huge difference in vote share but that swing 75 seats from Labour and with the improved Conservative share also taking Liberal seats it was enough for a 30-seat majority.

As we see in America now, when you have two blocs polling 90% of the vote the change in seats is greater than the change in votes might suggest. I think then there were many more marginal seats than there are now for demographic and geographic reasons.

Labour's 1966 GB lead was 7.3% with the Tories winning by 2.5% in 1970. Whilst Heath and the Tories managed a majority of 31, the 1970 election was the last election at which Ulster Unionist MPs adhered to the Tory Whip. Without their 8 MPs Heath's majority would have been a pretty narrow 15.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

I love the way that our Russian friends are completely gay obsessed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Her backstory is a little incoherent. I thought the same - 50s or 60s, quite well traveled, - but she also claims to have a child at school

Hey, every PB-er is entitled to say whatever they like about themselves, and if they volunteer this info, then we are free to speculate on it. I've actually heard people questioning whether I am really an artisanal knapper of flint sex toys. No, really
    In your case it’s the disbelief that flint, intrinsically sharp when knapped, as our Neolithic forbears knew, could be fashioned into a workable sex object. You are either really, really good at it, or it’s a sham. I know what I believe…
    But it doesn’t matter. Some share true stuff on here, others certainly make shit up.
  • Options

To be fair, Nicola Sturgeon may not be lying to Holyrood. It’s possible that her government is lying to the courts instead.

Or, of course, that they're both lying.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2022
    Scary BBC science doc on the intimidation of COVID scientists;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct3b03

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-science-hour/id634849863

tldl; COVID was almost certainly zoonotic in origin.

These Stone Age thugs making threats need to be arrested. People should be free to disagree with the science, but making death threats ain’t ok.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

I was wondering if @DrkB was our first Islamist Qatari bot. They must exist. Especially right now
  • Options
    ping said:

These ignorant thugs making threats need to be arrested.

"Almost certainly"

lol
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923
    Welcome back @Cyclefree - thanks for another thought-provoking header.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Leon said:

ping said:

"Almost certainly"

lol
    Yes.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Driver said:

Heathener said:

It does feel a bit like the current reorganisation of twitter is the beginning of the end of 'woke'. They overreached.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

There's nothing incoherent about being in your 50s, quite well travelled, and having a child still in school.

I know plenty of 40 something women who have had children.
  • Options

Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

In your case it’s the disbelief that flint, intrinsically sharp when knapped, as our Neolithic forbears knew, could be fashioned into a workable sex object. You are either really, really good at it, or it’s a sham. I know what I believe…
    But it doesn’t matter. Some share true stuff on here, others certainly make shit up.
    All those foreign trips - paid for as the product is just that damn good, or to dodge angry customers?
  • Options

My favourite thing right now is the beer advent calendar my dad’s bought me

It’s quite a show off in the middle of my kitchen floor

I’ve put in a 33cl can of beer for scale

Advent calendars also suffering from (size) inflation....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

Given the persecution of gays over the centuries it is nice to provide them with such a vast amount of rent free accommodation. In the heads of every Putinite.

#GATO
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

Putin is a little queer on the subject.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    ping said:

Leon said:

ping said:

"Almost certainly"

lol
    Yes.
    Polls say that in 90% of countries people now firmly believe it came from the lab. Why? Because, en masse, people are not stupid. This is the Wisdom of Crowds (a real thing, btw, hence Ask the Audience on the Millionaire Quiz Show)

The world's first plague from a deadly new apparently-enhanced bat coronavirus came from a city which had the world's only BSL2-4 laboratory deliberately enhancing bat coronaviruses that might cause plagues? Er, OK, so it came from the lab

It's that simple. Always was
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

All those foreign trips - paid for as the product is just that damn good, or to dodge angry customers?
    And on trips to the same places and the same time as a certain airport novelist/journalist. Without ever meeting him. Despite sharing a number of interests.
  • Options
    nova said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

There's nothing incoherent about being in your 50s, quite well travelled, and having a child still in school.

I know plenty of 40 something women who have had children.
    Fair
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DrkB said:

DrkB said:

FF43 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

We should recognise the time as homophobic, and hopefully the people still around from that time recognise that their views, if in support of the law, were wrong.

Things have come a long way very fast. When I was at school in the 90s we used the word gay as an insult, and it wasn't until secondary school that I knew someone personally who was gay (or at least whom I knew was gay) and then only as an infrequent acquaintance. I'm sure gay people are still more likely to be bullied, but that level of casual insult is at least accepted to be bad.

Mainstream TV shows showing gay people was still relatively rare, and mainstream politicians who are still around now were not necessarily in favour of things like gay marriage.

What I take from that is there's been a lot of positive development, and, importantly, public attitudes support that development, it isn't something that feels imposed by some woke elite. Given how rapid the changes have been I think people should be treated understandingly for perhaps not holding all the 'right' views on this topic even 20 years ago.

It's when there is a rapid shift attempted without consideration of what seemed appropriate merely 5 years ago that people can feel confused as to why certain things that seemed like common sense are beyond the pale. Particularly on topics that require nuance, but are treated as if debating the details is unacceptable.
    When did attitudes to pre-marital sex change? Mid 1960s possibly? When I was at university in the mid-1970s quite a few still adhered to 'chastity before marriage.' Cohabitation - 'living in sin' - was certainly not socially acceptable in the early 1970s. By 1980 that had changed, but even during the 1980s having kids out of wedlock was generally frowned upon.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

And on trips to the same places and the same time as a certain airport novelist/journalist. Without ever meeting him. Despite sharing a number of interests.
    No, I believe I did meet him once, and said so on here. It was truly eerie. I felt quite beside myself
  • Options
    DrkBDrkB Posts: 68

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

I actually think tolerance is only skin deep amongst many even in some younger people. People are natural herd animals and homosexuality has been presented very positively in the last 30 years. I always remember my friends at university saying they would think less of someone if they knew they were gay....not so long ago either
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597
    Dura Ace's tip of Tyler to win Strictly was a bum tip as Tyler was eliminated this evening.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

No, I believe I did meet him once, and said so on here. It was truly eerie. I felt quite beside myself
    You've met Ernest Hemingway?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    rcs1000 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

And are convinced it is an entirely middle-class affectation.
    That an incensed working class seethes at their very existence, and will shortly explode in revolt, driving the gays from the land.
    And, most ludicrously, appear to believe we will believe that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

You've met Ernest Hemingway?

“You have conquered, and I yield. Yet henceforward art thou also dead -- dead to the world and its hopes. In me didst thou exist -- and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    DrkB said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

I actually think tolerance is only skin deep amongst many even in some younger people. People are natural herd animals and homosexuality has been presented very positively in the last 30 years. I always remember my friends at university saying they would think less of someone if they knew they were gay....not so long ago either
    Humans have been fooled by the media into supporting homosexuality... I do believe we had another poster with those views.

Any relation?

I would bet that, should I go into your profile, you have a gmx email address... and I'd bet that (a) you will have posted from many IP addresses, and (b) they will all be on one of the black lists of compromised PCs?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    rcs1000 said:

DrkB said:

Scott_xP said:

To be fair it must be very cold in the trenches now and there are no women about.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    SandraMc said:

Dura Ace's tip of Tyler to win Strictly was a bum tip as Tyler was eliminated this evening.

Then again, Dura's tip of Putin to win Strictly One Special Military Operation was a bum tip too.
This discussion has been closed.