Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump still rated as a 36% chance for the GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Sean_F said:

In terms of votes the Republicans lead by 51.2 million to 46 million. That gap will narrow as California completes its counting, to something like 56 million to 54 million.

222/3 Republicans to 212/3 Democrats seems the likeliest outcome, now. And, Boebert will return to infest the House.

I am not particularly au fait with how party discipline works in the House, I feel much more clued up in terms of how the Senate works. I would have thought a House majority of 10 would be very unstable for actually passing much that the GOP leadership would want, but maybe the whipping operation is more effective there than here?

Certainly Pelosi seemed to manage OK with a small majority but then I think she has earned a reputation as a very strong congressional dealmaker.

Polarisation, and the decline (thanks to gerrymandering) in the number of competitive seats, means that both parties' House delegations tend to march in lock-step, now. From the Republicans' POV, the important prizes are the Speakership, and Chairing the House Committees.

For a Representative to break ranks on an issue the base cares about will terminate their career, as Liz Cheney and her colleagues demonstrate.

The Republicans will have little chance to pass anything, given that the Senate is outside their control, but they can use their majority to refuse to pass a budget.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

In terms of votes the Republicans lead by 51.2 million to 46 million. That gap will narrow as California completes its counting, to something like 56 million to 54 million.

222/3 Republicans to 212/3 Democrats seems the likeliest outcome, now. And, Boebert will return to infest the House.

One thing that I don't like is the large number of uncontested seats - looks like 22 without a Dem candidate and 12 without a GOP candidate.

Aside from making a national vote total harder to calculate it seems undemocratic to me.
    It's very odd. You'd think the parties would at least find paper candidates, the way the Conservatives will put up a candidate in Bootle, and Labour in the Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Trump calls DeSantis a very 'average' governor and lacking in loyalty and class. Certainly suggests Trump ain't standing aside for Ron and will fight him all the way for the GOP nomination in 2024 and maybe beyond as an Independent if DeSantis wins that nomination

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63593457

Whereas most Conservative media, from Fox News to the Murdoch press, has deciceively turned away from Trump and towards DeSantis in the past 48 hours. There’s little chance of coming back from there, politics is brutal sometimes.
    Trump will still get a large number of Republicans to vote for him in 2024 even if DeSantis wins the nomination.

Trump will also threaten to run as an Independent if he does not win the nomination most likely, which would hand the election to the Democrats on a plate due to a split Conservative vote.
    And lead to Trump being humiliated when he gets only 5% of the vote.

He's not someone who wants to be humiliated.

It would also destroy any hopes the Trump brats have of a political career.
    Could be more than 5% and he'd just badge it to suit.

"The hugest number of votes ever for a candidate without a party. I won this election when you think about it. Won big."

My sense is he craves attention more than anything. Loves the rallies, being all over the tv, the whole caboodle. So he might well do it. And he'll definitely threaten it for leverage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Trump calls DeSantis a very 'average' governor and lacking in loyalty and class. Certainly suggests Trump ain't standing aside for Ron and will fight him all the way for the GOP nomination in 2024 and maybe beyond as an Independent if DeSantis wins that nomination

Whereas most Conservative media, from Fox News to the Murdoch press, has deciceively turned away from Trump and towards DeSantis in the past 48 hours. There’s little chance of coming back from there, politics is brutal sometimes.
    Trump will still get a large number of Republicans to vote for him in 2024 even if DeSantis wins the nomination.

Trump will also threaten to run as an Independent if he does not win the nomination most likely, which would hand the election to the Democrats on a plate due to a split Conservative vote.
    Trump may threaten it, but to finish a very poor third would be a huge blow to his ego.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,799

Sean_F said:

I am not particularly au fait with how party discipline works in the House, I feel much more clued up in terms of how the Senate works. I would have thought a House majority of 10 would be very unstable for actually passing much that the GOP leadership would want, but maybe the whipping operation is more effective there than here?

Certainly Pelosi seemed to manage OK with a small majority but then I think she has earned a reputation as a very strong congressional dealmaker.

A narrow win for the GOP is likely to lead to lots of problems as each wing of the party fights to exert their influence . You have the real nutjobs like the Freedom caucus and you’re also likely to have the new intake of GOP house members from deep blue states concerned about their re-election chances if they rubber stamp an extreme agenda .

The Dems should go for the controversial option in the lame duck session and raise the debt ceiling right upto the next Presidential election otherwise the GOP are likely to force a confrontation on that . They’re going to want to cut social security and Medicare which the Dems won’t be able to stomach .

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

Russia clearly has no intentions of going back to Kherson. Don't forget that according to Russia, Kherson is their own territory.

Video showing damage to the Antonovsky Bridge after it was destroyed by Russian forces.
    https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1591003415651311616

Russia are building defences in Crimea. It seems that they think they will do well to even hold that.

Oh wow, they’ve properly blown it behind them. Multiple reports now confirming the location.

Also reports of attacks on the dam at Kakhovska overnight.
    Video, allegedly from today, of the Russians evacuating:
    https://twitter.com/glosmeusec/status/1590997761318653954

They won't be getting a lot of heavy equipment over that way.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    edited November 2022
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

UK GDP -0.2% (YoY, July - September)

The gloom continues.

Well above expectations. Market has it as -0.6% so expecting a real downturn, not just a minor one. We may now just see two quarters of minor recession with inflation falling by Q2 next year bringing relief for households and businesses. The Bank of England's doom forecast of a 2 year recession doesn't look realistic. They're suffering from Davos group think.
    If it hadn't been for the Queen's death (to keep @TOPPING happy) we might well have not been in recession at all. Forecasts of a large increase in unemployment seem wide of the mark.
    'preciated.

Meanwhile, extremely sensible doctor bloke on the radio saying how for starters the NHS needs to go to a 7-day week. Apparently last time this kite was flown (by the current CotE) there was a strike or threat of it.

Everyone knows that precisely nothing happens at the NHS from Friday pm to Monday mid-morning.

No wonder our health outcomes vs the rest are so useless.
    Living in a mostly-private healthcare market, the outpatient facilities are totally rammed at the weekend - because that’s when there’s most demand for outpatient services! Why should I need to take a day off work for a minor appointment?

Does the NHS exist primarily for the benefit of its customers, or the convenience of its staff?
    I use NHS, private dentist and recently reluctantly had a private operation as it was a choice between getting it done and retirement.

The difference in culture is absolutely staggering. Basically in the NHS the system (especially admin aspects and front of house) steers towards the idea that the system is doing you a favour; in the other sector you are the customer and they are to providing a service, which they do reliably and well.
    Yes but you might not want the NHS to operate at that level - it would cost a fortune on top of the fortune it already costs.
    It would cost a fortune to instil in the NHS a culture of responsibility towards its patients that I can probably agree with.
    On the other hand, my distinct impression is that the private ops industry relies heavily on being able to dump post-op complications on the NHS. It would be good to have someone more knowledgeable comment on that point.
    Not the case in my experience (n = 1).
    Based on what I have heard about the general staffing, expertise etc. of some operators. Anything bnad goes wrong, it's off to the NHS.

Edit: not to say that youyr experiense is wrong.

But one corollary is that even private hospitals would have to reorganise themselves considerably if the NHS didn't exist.
    Well that's an interesting point that no one was really advancing - the NHS not to exist. But plenty of other healthcare systems internationally don't have an "NHS" and they do pretty well. Save America, I belive.
    They do generally cost more though (but also perform better on some measures).

I'm not too bothered about the organisation, although experiences with the internal market in the NHS suggest that marketisation* is no silver bullet, but the simple fact is that better service costs more. I've seen a study showing that privately run clinics introduced into the NHS under Labour had better performance that NHS-run clinics; they also cost more per patient treated.

* to take one small example, Trusts now employ coders (not in the computer science sense) to apply the diagnostic, treatment codes to finished episodes of care that result in the highest payment - not lying by any means, but making sure to record every last thing that might enhance payment (and also improve standardised hospital mortality figures for that Trust, as recording patients as more complex will improve that measure for the same level of mortality - there are also expensive consultancy services for that). All bureaucratic jobs introduced by the marketisation.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I imagine lots of deal making.

Biden gets some of what he wants in return for the moderate GOP getting some of what they want.

With the MAGA GOP getting even more angry.
    These things are relative. Moderate GOP means very hardline. To their right is the batshit GOP, like Boebert and MTG.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited November 2022

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt it, Ross Perot got 19% in 1992 and handed the election to Bill Clinton on a plate. For despite the fact Clinton got only 43%, Bush 41 ended up with just 37% after leaking votes to Perot.

Trump is even more of a billionaire ego maniac than Perot with even bigger name recognition as an ex
    President, could self fund his campaign and easily get to 19%. He would do it to humiliate the GOP after what he would see as them humiliating him by not falling in line to support his nomination again.

In 1912 too former President Theodore Roosevelt ran against sitting GOP President Taft so Democrat Wilson was elected with just 41%

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296

There's already a shortage of staff in the NHS. Huge numbers of NHS workers of all types have young kids and would like to see them at weekends. So weekend working is likely to exacerbate the shortage as people leave or don't apply in the first place. It's a real conundrum.

It's not like train drivers or supermarket workers, for example, who apply for those jobs knowing that weekend shifts are involved.

So let's not change anything ever. Let's not even try.

I thought it was the Conservatives who liked to pickle things in aspic.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Polarisation, and the decline (thanks to gerrymandering) in the number of competitive seats, means that both parties' House delegations tend to march in lock-step, now. From the Republicans' POV, the important prizes are the Speakership, and Chairing the House Committees.

For a Representative to break ranks on an issue the base cares about will terminate their career, as Liz Cheney and her colleagues demonstrate.

The Republicans will have little chance to pass anything, given that the Senate is outside their control, but they can use their majority to refuse to pass a budget.
    The danger is another debt ceiling crisis, which Republicans are already planning.
    The smaller their majority in the House, the better.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    I repeat my long stated and oft mocked forecast that neither Trump nor Biden will be nominees. In Trump’s case, he’ll either not stand, will be primaried - or nicked.

But, I realise I’m a hostage to fortune with that prediction (and have no money backing it up).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Trump may threaten it, but to finish a very poor third would be a huge blow to his ego.
    Agreed. If he doesn’t get the nomination he probably goes down (what I suspect will be) the Boris route of being a backseat driver and telling everyone how much better everything would be if he was in charge.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,227
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt it, Ross Perot got 19% in 1992 and handed the election to Bill Clinton on a plate. For despite the fact Clinton got only 43%, Bush 41 ended up with just 37% after leaking votes to Perot.

Trump is even more of a billionaire ego maniac than Perot with even bigger name recognition as an ex
    President, could self fund his campaign and easily get to 19%. He would do it to humiliate the GOP after what he would see as them humiliating him by not falling in line to support his nomination again.

In 1912 too former President Theodore Roosevelt ran against sitting GOP President Taft so Democrat Wilson was elected with just 41%
    Due to the way the primary system works the window for Trump loses the nomination and doesn't come third in the general as an independent candidate, is very narrow. If he was more popular than RDS then he'd win the primary.

Whether that logic would weigh heavily on Trump's decision I don't know, but I still expect him to win the primary, so I don't expect him to face that decision.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

There's already a shortage of staff in the NHS. Huge numbers of NHS workers of all types have young kids and would like to see them at weekends. So weekend working is likely to exacerbate the shortage as people leave or don't apply in the first place. It's a real conundrum.

It's not like train drivers or supermarket workers, for example, who apply for those jobs knowing that weekend shifts are involved.

I don't think anyone's arguing that.

Simply that the barriers to going to 7 day working are considerable, and it would require the expenditure of a lot of political capital, and a lot of money.
    Labour under Blair/Brown had plenty of both to do it, and wasted the opportunity; it's been become increasingly difficult since then.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Simply that the barriers to going to 7 day working are considerable, and it would require the expenditure of a lot of political capital, and a lot of money.
    Labour under Blair/Brown had plenty of both to do it, and wasted the opportunity; it's been become increasingly difficult since then.
    Most recently tried by a Cons SoS with disastrous consequences, strikes, you name it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859

I repeat my long stated and oft mocked forecast that neither Trump nor Biden will be nominees. In Trump’s case, he’ll either not stand, will be primaried - or nicked.

But, I realise I’m a hostage to fortune with that prediction (and have no money backing it up).

Hope you are right but his statement today re DeSantis suggests he will at the very least try to run
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Sean_F said:

Looking back at the 538 forecasts:

Their Lite (polls only) model predicted an average of 229 Republican seats, popular vote lead of R+2.4%, and 75% chance of Republican majority.

Classic (polls, fundraising, past voting patterns and more) had average 232 Republican seats, vote margin R+3.8, and 82% chance of R majority.

Deluxe (Classic + experts' ratings) average 230 R seats, popular vote R +4.0, 84% chance R majority.

Their default model is the Deluxe, which they described before the election as "the best and most accurate", but this time the Lite model looks like ending up the most accurate in both average seats and vote margin (and will probably end up forecasting the Senate best too), so I wonder how they will play it next time. The Deluxe model has only been running since 2018, and goes slightly against their philosophy of building a mathematical model, and then NOT putting a thumb on the scales to get an answer that seems to fit better.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

Well above expectations. Market has it as -0.6% so expecting a real downturn, not just a minor one. We may now just see two quarters of minor recession with inflation falling by Q2 next year bringing relief for households and businesses. The Bank of England's doom forecast of a 2 year recession doesn't look realistic. They're suffering from Davos group think.
    If it hadn't been for the Queen's death (to keep @TOPPING happy) we might well have not been in recession at all. Forecasts of a large increase in unemployment seem wide of the mark.
    'preciated.

Meanwhile, extremely sensible doctor bloke on the radio saying how for starters the NHS needs to go to a 7-day week. Apparently last time this kite was flown (by the current CotE) there was a strike or threat of it.

Everyone knows that precisely nothing happens at the NHS from Friday pm to Monday mid-morning.

If you want people to work unsociable hours like weekends and nights you need to pay them properly for it compensation. The government appears unwilling to do so.
    This is true, but the idea that anyone can or should enter any medical field without realising that it has to function 24/7 on 365 days a year and that to be part of it is a vocation is hopeless.

It's not just the doctors and nurses. That would include porters, physios, social workers (or whoever the almoners are called these days), secretaries, receptionists ...
    Yes, absolutely.

As a starting point, making the existing five-day NHS take Mondays and Tuesdays off, rather than Saturdays and Sundays, would make a massive difference to the level of service in the minds of their patients, and productivity in the general economy.
    Just to check, though.

Would your intention be to keep everything else the same (pay etc), just changing the NHS week to Tuesday to Sunday? Because that's an awful lot less attractive to anyone with a partner who doesn't work in the NHS, let alone having children.

In a world where ancillary staff can go and work for someone else, and medical staff can go and work abroad, it would be a brave move for an employer to make.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion. By all means believe that doctors are paid too much money for too little work. Ultimately, the market works this out and the observation that there are massive recruitment problems leading to huge spending on agency staff says otherwise.

From today's news:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63588959

Right-of-centre politics is meant to understand this.
    @Stuartinromford Please see my point on demand planning in UK teaching hospitals. I am inclined to believe it is incompetence rather than conspiracy to keep the number of doctors less than the posts available. It is an extraordinary state of affairs considering the fact that every year there are dozens of applicants for every single place. The BMA would like you to believe that you need to be an academic genius to be a doctor. You do not, any more than you need to be for any other profession. It is a system that is run by a self-interested cartel.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

And Perot got 8% in 1996.

The law of diminishing returns applies to Trump as well.

A 78 year old having a tantrum does not attract support.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

https://normielisation.substack.com/p/cheems-mindset
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The thin majority means less chance of ultra-partisan craziness. Hunter Biden's laptop will probably not be impeached now.
  • Options
    I see NV managed to count 34k yesterday

DEM 20.5K
    GOP 13.5K

Clark counted 11.7k

Dem 7.5k
    GOP 4.2k

I stick with my view Dems win by at least 15k

1.06 is not attractive mind as could go on for a week and then legal challenges??
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    Ron Desanctamonious
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Probably Trump will try to do a deal where he promises not to run as independent, in return for republicans shielding him from his legal problems. But actually running would be desperate, and would just increase the chances of him ending up convicted of various crimes.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

A narrow win for the GOP is likely to lead to lots of problems as each wing of the party fights to exert their influence . You have the real nutjobs like the Freedom caucus and you’re also likely to have the new intake of GOP house members from deep blue states concerned about their re-election chances if they rubber stamp an extreme agenda .

The Dems should go for the controversial option in the lame duck session and raise the debt ceiling right upto the next Presidential election otherwise the GOP are likely to force a confrontation on that . They’re going to want to cut social security and Medicare which the Dems won’t be able to stomach .

Actual revolts in terms of members voting with the opposite party are rare (and actual defections to the other party are vanishingly rare). As in the UK, the majority party managers get a realistic view of the chances of each Bill, and don't press anything that won't get a majority (the US have the additional problem that legislation has to get through the equivalent of Select Committees, where revolts do happen). A Dem President, a virtually tied Senate and a tiny GOP House majority is a textbook example of likely gridlock. Only things with broad cross-party response will pass.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    edited November 2022

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

If you want people to work unsociable hours like weekends and nights you need to pay them properly for it compensation. The government appears unwilling to do so.
    This is true, but the idea that anyone can or should enter any medical field without realising that it has to function 24/7 on 365 days a year and that to be part of it is a vocation is hopeless.

It's not just the doctors and nurses. That would include porters, physios, social workers (or whoever the almoners are called these days), secretaries, receptionists ...
    Yes, absolutely.

As a starting point, making the existing five-day NHS take Mondays and Tuesdays off, rather than Saturdays and Sundays, would make a massive difference to the level of service in the minds of their patients, and productivity in the general economy.
    Just to check, though.

Would your intention be to keep everything else the same (pay etc), just changing the NHS week to Tuesday to Sunday? Because that's an awful lot less attractive to anyone with a partner who doesn't work in the NHS, let alone having children.

In a world where ancillary staff can go and work for someone else, and medical staff can go and work abroad, it would be a brave move for an employer to make.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion. By all means believe that doctors are paid too much money for too little work. Ultimately, the market works this out and the observation that there are massive recruitment problems leading to huge spending on agency staff says otherwise.

From today's news:

@Stuartinromford Please see my point on demand planning in UK teaching hospitals. I am inclined to believe it is incompetence rather than conspiracy to keep the number of doctors less than the posts available. It is an extraordinary state of affairs considering the fact that every year there are dozens of applicants for every single place. The BMA would like you to believe that you need to be an academic genius to be a doctor. You do not, any more than you need to be for any other profession. It is a system that is run by a self-interested cartel.
    Indeed. Any sane system would ensure that all available teaching places are filled and that a plan is in place to expand places steadily in a manageable manner. Excess medical staff (which I think is unlikely to be a situation for many years anyway) can find places overseas. I see no downside at all to training as many doctors and nurses as we can fit into the system. It is one of the few professions where we can reasonably say we will always need them.
  • Options
    If Trump doesn’t run I’d think that would make it more likely Biden doesn’t .

Ron DeSantis tries to put on a more respectable front but he’s an extremist and just covers it up better . Given his huge win in Florida and likely more broader appeal he would be a big problem for the Dems .

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Yes, absolutely.

Just to check, though.

From today's news:

I think high doctors salaries are partly a result of the scarcity of doctors (basic supply and demand). Pharmacy is an example of what can happen if you go the other way. We opened many more schools of pharmacy in the last two decades, churned out pharmacists and suddenly the locum rates dropped like a stone. The was competition for work.

As a result the applications to study pharmacy plummeted, and pressure on schools to keep recruiting has been huge. My own department has been within a whisker of closure, depsite being older than the University (by 60 years) and despite producing some of the best graduates in the country (as determined by the professional exam all pharmacists must take - the Pre-Reg).

So there is a vested interest for doctors NOT to train hordes of doctors. And don't forget, most doctors are trained by doctors, and they play a part in decisions such as 'shall we expand our places?'.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Everything’s going so well:

.@NicolaSturgeon continues to ignore public opposition and seeks to push through the Gender Recognition Reform Bill in under two weeks, demonstrating once again that she prioritises the approval of lobby groups over Scottish voters' concerns. 1/2

The polling is clear: this bill is not supported by the public. Principled MSPs have already voted against it and one has resigned, yet the First Feminist remains determined to undermine the sex-based rights of Scottish girls and women. 2/2

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1590792815243538432

Sunak happily signing up to Climate Reparations are a sign of that.
    Eh?

Rishi Sunak has dealt a blow to the developing countries hardest-hit by climate change by shunning appeals for the UK to contribute towards reparations for the natural disasters caused by hundreds of years of industrial pollution.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/cop27-rishi-sunak-climate-change-b2219819.html?amp
    Ah, that was different to what was being briefed at the start of the week.

Good news for once.

Cumulative U.K. CO2 emissions since the start of the Industrial Revolution are less than 5% of the total in any case. The US & China are orders of magnitude the biggest. Good luck getting them to cough up! Unless you’re a virtue signalling regional politician in search of an international job…..
    There was an article in the Telegraph this week pointing out China had put more emissions into the atmosphere in the last 8 years than we had since the start of the Industrial revolution.

They produced more steel in the last 2 years than we ever have.

Fair play to Sunak for standing up to this nonsense, unlike Starmer who won't.

Our electric consumption has increased by 50% since 1990 but our use of non renewables hasn't

Of course many of the groups who want these "reparations" would be the ones with a financial interest in seeing it through as they will be involved in projects using these funds.

Hence the howls of anguish when the aid budget was cut from various charities and NGO's.
    "There was an article in the Telegraph."

Course there was.

Quoting those figures gross and without context is precisely like a farmer saying: for 10 years I had a flock of 100 texels. Last year I added two suffolks. Bugger me, after running the numbers I am going straight over to suffolks because over time they have only eaten ONE FIVE HUNDREDTH AS MUCH as the texels. It really is that mouth-breathingly stupid.

China is making extraordinary strides with decarbonising itself (never mind making decarbonising kit, and everything else, for RoW)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-24/china-s-clean-energy-growth-outlook-for-2022-keeps-getting-bigger

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/energy-transition/092322-china-could-exceed-renewables-generation-target-of-33-by-2025

both based on China figures, but Bloomberg and S&P do due diligence on what they report.

Trying to lift a nation of 1.4bn out of poverty also needs coal and steel. Wow.

The Chinese would also have to be pretty stupid not to be combating GW out of pure self-interest, given the vulnerability of a country as large and populous as that.

And even if they are having a laugh at our expense, so what? Saying we won't bother because they don't, is like saying: yes, I shoplift the odd lump of butter from Tescos. Everybody is at it, I see people smuggling whole chickens and bottles of sherry out under their coats, and it's not like the profit on a pat of butter is going to hurt Tesco's bottom line. Curious how pride-in-empire little Englanders are happy with a complete lack of national honesty, self respect and leadership if they think it pays. So I am actually quite happy to triangulate back from this line of argument to their probable personal standards.

And when they discuss China there's an early Coldplay earworm that I can't get out of my head.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Yes, absolutely.

Just to check, though.

From today's news:

I think high doctors salaries are partly a result of the scarcity of doctors (basic supply and demand). Pharmacy is an example of what can happen if you go the other way. We opened many more schools of pharmacy in the last two decades, churned out pharmacists and suddenly the locum rates dropped like a stone. The was competition for work.

As a result the applications to study pharmacy plummeted, and pressure on schools to keep recruiting has been huge. My own department has been within a whisker of closure, depsite being older than the University (by 60 years) and despite producing some of the best graduates in the country (as determined by the professional exam all pharmacists must take - the Pre-Reg).

So there is a vested interest for doctors NOT to train hordes of doctors. And don't forget, most doctors are trained by doctors, and they play a part in decisions such as 'shall we expand our places?'.
    Drs salaries are high!!

Not on the NHS Contract hence them going for Locum shifts on double to triple
  • Options

Hope you are right but his statement today re DeSantis suggests he will at the very least try to run
    I think he's hard to predict. He might well try to run, but I don't think he'll end up as nominee for one of the reasons above.
  • Options

I see NV managed to count 34k yesterday

DEM 20.5K
    GOP 13.5K

Clark counted 11.7k

Dem 7.5k
    GOP 4.2k

I stick with my view Dems win by at least 15k

1.06 is not attractive mind as could go on for a week and then legal challenges??

Agreed. It looks on the face of it an easy 6%, but I wouldn't want to lock up my cash for what could be a prolonged period.
  • Options
    The most satisfying result purely from a get out the popcorn and watch the drama unfold would be if Hobbs can beat Lake in Arizona !

At the moment the later vote by mail is quite different from 2020 . There because of covid many more Democrats voted earlier but the returns so far have broken around 54/45 in the Dems favour .

The real test will be the ballot drop box returns close to Election Day . There’s also around 17,000 on the day votes still left to count and these should break strongly for the Reps .

Hobbs needs to keep running up the totals from Pima and hope those ballot drop boxes aren’t too good for the Reps.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Yes, absolutely.

Just to check, though.

From today's news:

All true. I've been on the panel for medical interviews and been the teacher trying to support kids through the process. There are definitely more young people we could fruitfully train to be doctors than we currently do.

Whilst that pushes the question to somewhere more fruitful than "I want doctors to do more without being paid more", the question then becomes how many trainee doctors do we want and how is the country going to pay for their (expensive) training.

And a lot of the people in the NHS aren't doctors...
  • Options

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

Actual revolts in terms of members voting with the opposite party are rare (and actual defections to the other party are vanishingly rare). As in the UK, the majority party managers get a realistic view of the chances of each Bill, and don't press anything that won't get a majority (the US have the additional problem that legislation has to get through the equivalent of Select Committees, where revolts do happen). A Dem President, a virtually tied Senate and a tiny GOP House majority is a textbook example of likely gridlock. Only things with broad cross-party response will pass.
    538 says
    In Arizona, Kelly leads Masters 51 percent to 46 percent — a margin of 98,141 votes. There are over 600,000 ballots left to count statewide, but it will be difficult for Masters to overcome that deficit.

In Nevada, Laxalt leads Cortez Masto 49 percent to 48 percent — a margin of 15,867 votes. However, there are roughly 100,000 ballots left to count, and they’re mostly mail-in ballots, which favor Democrats. So we think Cortez Masto will probably take the lead once they’re counted.

We know that the Georgia has Warnock ahead or Walker so a Dem hold there is quite possible in the runoff.

IF the Dems win all 3 they will have gained one overall and they could pay a tiny bit less attention to Manchin and Sinema. The House will be against them but not by much. It could be business as usual for Biden.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Trying to decide on a battery to retrofit to my ~ 7 year old solar system.

It needs to be AC coupled so I can keep my FIT as is.

Options seem to be

Lux/pylontech 7.2 kw £5,500
    Growatt 6.5 kw £4,400
    Sunsynk 5.12 kw £5,500

Reading around online the Sunsynk seems to have better reviews than the growatt. Dunno if that outweighs the price difference though.
    Anyone have experience of these batteries ?

All fail the crap name test. Sunsynk ffs. Say what you like about Elon, a tesla powerwall sounds something you would want to spend money on.
    Specially if it had a blue tick account on twitter.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Most recently tried by a Cons SoS with disastrous consequences, strikes, you name it.
    As I said, you need both the will and the cash.

• Options

I think he's hard to predict. He might well try to run, but I don't think he'll end up as nominee for one of the reasons above.
    Yes (hopefully)
  • Options

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says
    In Arizona, Kelly leads Masters 51 percent to 46 percent — a margin of 98,141 votes. There are over 600,000 ballots left to count statewide, but it will be difficult for Masters to overcome that deficit.

In Nevada, Laxalt leads Cortez Masto 49 percent to 48 percent — a margin of 15,867 votes. However, there are roughly 100,000 ballots left to count, and they’re mostly mail-in ballots, which favor Democrats. So we think Cortez Masto will probably take the lead once they’re counted.

We know that the Georgia has Warnock ahead or Walker so a Dem hold there is quite possible in the runoff.

IF the Dems win all 3 they will have gained one overall and they could pay a tiny bit less attention to Manchin and Sinema. The House will be against them but not by much. It could be business as usual for Biden.
    538 has the wrong figures . Kelly is 115,000 votes ahead as per the SOS website and Casto is now 9,000 votes behind .
  • Options

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

We know that the Georgia has Warnock ahead

or Walker so a Dem hold there is quite possible in the runoff.

Indeed, I think this is now likely: NV, GA and AZ all go blue.

As for the NV gubernatorial race: who knows?

• Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

538 has the wrong figures . Kelly is 115,000 votes ahead as per the SOS website and Casto is now 9,000 votes behind .
    Yes, 538 figures are now out of date, but does that alter their projection?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    nico679 said:

Ron DeSantis tries to put on a more respectable front but he’s an extremist and just covers it up better . Given his huge win in Florida and likely more broader appeal he would be a big problem for the Dems .

De Santis GOP nominee and Trump as an Independent candidate best for the Dems as they could win with just 40% of the vote.

Though yes DeSantis alone with Trump endorsing him and not running as an Independent is more of a threat to the Democrats.

However the evidence suggests Trump will put his ego before what is best for the GOP
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,695
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Living in a mostly-private healthcare market, the outpatient facilities are totally rammed at the weekend - because that’s when there’s most demand for outpatient services! Why should I need to take a day off work for a minor appointment?

Does the NHS exist primarily for the benefit of its customers, or the convenience of its staff?
    I use NHS, private dentist and recently reluctantly had a private operation as it was a choice between getting it done and retirement.

The difference in culture is absolutely staggering. Basically in the NHS the system (especially admin aspects and front of house) steers towards the idea that the system is doing you a favour; in the other sector you are the customer and they are to providing a service, which they do reliably and well.
    Yes but you might not want the NHS to operate at that level - it would cost a fortune on top of the fortune it already costs.
    It would cost a fortune to instil in the NHS a culture of responsibility towards its patients that I can probably agree with.
    On the other hand, my distinct impression is that the private ops industry relies heavily on being able to dump post-op complications on the NHS. It would be good to have someone more knowledgeable comment on that point.
    Not the case in my experience (n = 1).
    Based on what I have heard about the general staffing, expertise etc. of some operators. Anything bnad goes wrong, it's off to the NHS.
    Sozza but we can't work with "based on what I have heard". Need some more evidence even if anecdotal would be a start.
    Comments made by friends in uni who study such things (but are not medics or NHS employees). I wasn't paying particular attention at the time, bvut it is certainly an area which is more complex than the usual DM soundbite.
    Can confirm from long term girlfriend who was a senior theatre nurse, NHS or Nuffield depending on pay and conditions. There's a reason private hospitals are next to NHS hospitals, because if it all goes horribly wrong on the private side you whisk the patient across the road. Her advice was for serious surgery, start in the NHS. Nuffield for jumping the new joints queue, and fresh orange juice.
    Yep, thanks, that is pretty much the impression I got. Definitely something to be aware of.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Probably Trump will try to do a deal where he promises not to run as independent, in return for republicans shielding him from his legal problems. But actually running would be desperate, and would just increase the chances of him ending up convicted of various crimes.
    Could he fund an independent run though? He can only use it for blackmail if it's doable.
  • Options

Yes (hopefully)
    What is the consensus?
    Would Desantis beat Trump for the nomination?
    If he did would Trump run anyway as an Independent?
    If he did and Trump didn't run would Trump's base turn out and vote for DeSantis
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Even if Trump got just 8% that almost certainly costs the GOP the Presidential election as that 8% would almost all be Republican voters from 2020
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Yes, Dems to finish on 51 senators. It's a shame they couldn't hold onto the House. MAGA GOP needs to keep losing until they realise they need to jettison the MAGA element back to whatever mad Libertarian parties that still exist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

De Santis GOP nominee and Trump as an Independent candidate best for the Dems as they could win with just 40% of the vote.

Though yes DeSantis alone with Trump endorsing him and not running as an Independent is more of a threat to the Democrats.

However the evidence suggests Trump will put his ego before what is best for the GOP
    Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Three 11:01 11 Nov posts. A stain on PB.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    My mental model is that DeSantis would be the first election about abortion, and Democrats would outperform again in swing states, while dropping in safe blue states where the local approach to abortion has hardly changed. There would be a little about inflation which will be lower, a lot about crime which will be higher, and a little about LGBT to get out the vote. By contrast Trump would be about the same nonsense as last time. I think Trump wins in more outcomes-of-the-world than DeSantis.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

There’s still some uncertainty as to how many votes are still to be counted in Clark county. The elections supervisor wasn’t clear. It’s possible there’s less than originally thought as his update yesterday conflicted with what was released on Wednesday.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,163
    Spain wants to scrap the 90 day Visa rules for Brits to allow Brits to stay indefinitely

Spain will ask permission from the EU to enable this change to take effect.

Cyprus needs to do the same !!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/spain-wants-to-scrap-90-day-rule-for-british-tourists-allowing-them-to-stay-indefinitely/ar-AA13Yfot?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=124fdff2694c40818866d5bf9404c359
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Yes, absolutely.

Just to check, though.

From today's news:

All true. I've been on the panel for medical interviews and been the teacher trying to support kids through the process. There are definitely more young people we could fruitfully train to be doctors than we currently do.

Whilst that pushes the question to somewhere more fruitful than "I want doctors to do more without being paid more", the question then becomes how many trainee doctors do we want and how is the country going to pay for their (expensive) training.

How are the overall numbers actually set ?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Yes, Dems to finish on 51 senators. It's a shame they couldn't hold onto the House. MAGA GOP needs to keep losing until they realise they need to jettison the MAGA element back to whatever mad Libertarian parties that still exist.
    GOP needs MAGA as much as Independent voters to win.

Same with the Tories here who cannot win without most of the redwall as well as the bluewall now
  • Options
    Taz said:

Spain wants to scrap the 90 day Visa rules for Brits to allow Brits to stay indefinitely

Spain will ask permission from the EU to enable this change to take effect.

Cyprus needs to do the same !!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/spain-wants-to-scrap-90-day-rule-for-british-tourists-allowing-them-to-stay-indefinitely/ar-AA13Yfot?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=124fdff2694c40818866d5bf9404c359

And so it starts. If Spain does it Portugal, Italy and Greece will follow suit and then, slowly, the rest. The EU will surely realise this and refuse because it's one of their major bargaining chips.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Same with the Tories here who cannot win without most of the redwall as well as the bluewall now
    Not really, they can win from the centre.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

IF the Dems win all 3 they will have gained one overall and they could pay a tiny bit less attention to Manchin and Sinema. The House will be

against them but not by much. It could be

business as usual for Biden.
    538 has the wrong figures . Kelly is 115,000 votes

ahead as per the SOS website and Casto is now 9,000 votes behind .
    No, indeed that would surely make the projection more concrete. I’m expecting an AZ call when the west coast wakes up.

Ishmael_Z said:

Realise this is irony, but I've found the poppy fascism to have stepped down a notch this year. Have the public started to realise how ridiculous it had become?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Options seem to be

Growatt 6.5 kw £4,400
    Sunsynk 5.12 kw £5,500

Reading around online the Sunsynk seems to have better reviews than the growatt. Dunno if that outweighs the price difference though.

All fail the crap name test. Sunsynk ffs. Say what you like about Elon, a tesla powerwall sounds something you would want to spend money on.
    If not for the stupid spelling, Sunsynk wouldn't be a bad name at all. It neatly describes the function of the battery.
  • Options
    I certainly wouldn’t be putting Masto as a strong favourite because it’s not certain her 60/40 margin will hold up when they start counting the votes in the Election Day ballot drop boxes .

The first returns of those when we get them will be decisive because whatever the margin there is unlikely to change much.
  • Options
    Democratic majority is 65 on BX – assume this is because the indies who caucus Dem don't count???
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Options seem to be

Growatt 6.5 kw £4,400
    Sunsynk 5.12 kw £5,500

If not for the stupid spelling, Sunsynk wouldn't be a bad name at all. It neatly describes the function of the battery.
    True. Whereas pylontech...

And Growatt is perhaps deliberately appealing to the cannabis producer market.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

Things with broad cross-party support are *nearly* the only things that pass even now.

See Yglesias on Secret Congress:
    https://www.slowboring.com/p/the-rise-and-importance-of-secret
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,117
    Another slightly strange article suggesting Russia is preparing an “electro magnetic pulse explosion” (probably nuclear but not necessarily) to paralyse Ukrainian advances. There was a similar article in the FT earlier this week

“How Russia could use electromagnetic pulse weapon to cripple Ukraine”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/846f4044-610f-11ed-80da-2c56e60527b0?shareToken=dbfd394d96c9ed68fa8287c15b137fbd

Scare mongering nonsense? Genuine fear?

It certainly looks like Russia is surrendering Kherson, which is a huge defeat. If Putin accepts this without any attempt at revenge - or is simply unable to respond - his regime must be in danger
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Options seem to be

Growatt 6.5 kw £4,400
    Sunsynk 5.12 kw £5,500

"Sunshift" would be more accurate.

Sorry, "Sunshyft"
  • Options

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Manchin is essentially beyond any pressure from Democrats, as he has to plough his own furrow to have any chance of re-election.
    Sinema is up for re-election in 2024; if she doesn't toe the line rather more than she has recently - and she's done less than nothing to help her colleagues this last year - she risks being primaried.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Yes, absolutely.

Just to check, though.

From today's news:

Is any of this that difficult if people are willing to change it up a bit?

Train them for 4 years instead of 7 and accept that they have to be far more specialised and need to retrain if they wan to move to a different area.

Also paying for training for doctors now, decreases the cost per doctor in future years, and will lead to better retention of skilled and experienced doctors in their fifties and sixties who will be able to maintain some life balance in work rather than decide to retire early.

Our public services require investment to make them cheaper in future. Cutting funding now increases costs in the future. This is the fundamental misunderstanding of those who rightly want to balance the books. We are well past the point of finding short term cost savings, but long term ones are perfectly possible, with targeted investment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another slightly strange article suggesting Russia is preparing an “electro magnetic pulse explosion” (probably nuclear but not necessarily) to paralyse Ukrainian advances. There was a similar article in the FT earlier this week

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/846f4044-610f-11ed-80da-2c56e60527b0?shareToken=dbfd394d96c9ed68fa8287c15b137fbd

It certainly looks like Russia is surrendering Kherson, which is a huge defeat. If Putin accepts this without any attempt at revenge - or is simply unable to respond - his regime must be in danger

Putin remains highly unlikely to use a nuke.
    Calling it an EMP weapon doesn't change that.
  • Options

Democratic majority is 65 on BX – assume this is because the indies who caucus Dem don't count???

Correct.

But how is it even 70s?

They would need 53 seats to have 51 ex. the two "independents".

That would mean overturning two seats already called in favour of the GOP as well as sweeping up all three uncalled seats?

What am I missing?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

• Options

Yes 2 of them so arithmetically impossible from here
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    nico679 said:

But how much of his Florida win is due to dodgy electoral goings on, and the elderly decamping to coastal condos, rather than campaigning genius?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Question is what does he do? What is the endgame now?

Pull back to the borders and try to hold Crimea? So go back to Feb 2022 position?

would that be it, would that be enough for Russia to go for peace?
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

IF the Dems win all 3 they will have gained one overall and they could pay a tiny bit less attention to Manchin and Sinema. The House will be

No, indeed that would surely make the projection more concrete. I’m expecting an AZ call when the west coast wakes up.

Ishmael_Z said:

Realise this is irony, but I've found the poppy fascism to have stepped down a notch this year. Have the public started to realise how ridiculous it had become?
    It definitely feels less this year. Perhaps CoL etc is drowning out everything else?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scare mongering nonsense that inspires genuine fear in *certain* people.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    edited November 2022
    The latest people polling numbers look like a very interesting glimpse into issue-based responses.

https://twitter.com/peoplepolling/status/1591007964605083648?s=46&t=N2dtngPWfedzQ4eluPGaUg

Shifts in the anti-Tory vote based on 2 different issues I would speculate:

- Asylum and small boats: a portion of those on the right of the culture wars but economic left showing their unhappiness with the government via Refuk vote rather than Labour: I reckon there is a Lab-Ref swing here, possibly red wall based

- Just stop oil protests: some on the left/eco flank of Labour angered by Starmer’s tough talk on the protesters so lodging their protest in responding Green

When Brexit problems hit the headlines we often see the LD vote go up a bit, similar effect.

I think a headlines-adjusted (but not tactical voting adjusted) underlying numbers would be more like:

Lab: 46%
    Con: 23%
    LDM: 9%
    GRN: 7%
    Ref: 4%
    SNP: 5%
  • Options
    I've just worked out how Musk can make a fortune out of Twitter.

First the problem: Twitter needs income - perhaps an extra $1 billion per year just for loan repayments. The $8 Twitter Blue nonsense will only make a feeble amount, and removes the entire verification nonsense.

It's clear that some people can afford more than $8, whilst other accounts are worth much less.

A simple change fixes everything. Hold a monthly auction for each twitter handle. The winner of the auction gets the handle and all of its followers. So if you pay enough, you can be the realDonaldTrump, or JoeBiden, or LizTruss (*), or ElonMusk.

It's fair and it's capitalist.

I fact, it's genius.

Musk will win bigly.

(*) I bet her account would be worth about five pennies.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

A weapon that nobody can tell if it's been used or not doesn't sound THAT scary.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

More targeted = equals not very powerful and thus limited range,
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Not really, they can win from the centre.
    Not alone unless the Democrats are well to the left which they aren't at the moment.

Otherwise the Democrats win with the left and dividing the centre with the GOP if much of the right goes to an Independent
    Trump.

Same with the Tories given Labour is now more centrist than under Corbyn, they cannot afford to leak too much to RefUK (unless Starmer also leaks a lot to the Greens of course)
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Ishmael_Z said:

It definitely feels less this year. Perhaps CoL etc is drowning out everything else?
    It could also subconsciously be something to do with HMQ not being with us anymore. The wartime generation is now more or less gone, and she was a strong representation of that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

That article is conflating two different things, though.
    One is a nuke; the other would be of pretty limited effect.

• Options
    The betting is against K. Lake now.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Ishmael_Z said:

It could also subconsciously be something to do with HMQ not being with us anymore. The wartime generation is now more or less gone, and she was a strong representation of that.
    Certainly wouldn't rule that out.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Sean_F said:

Looking back at the 538 forecasts:

Their Lite (polls only) model predicted an average of 229 Republican seats, popular vote lead of R+2.4%, and 75% chance of Republican majority.

Classic (polls, fundraising, past voting patterns and more) had average 232 Republican seats, vote margin R+3.8, and 82% chance of R majority.

Deluxe (Classic + experts' ratings) average 230 R seats, popular vote R +4.0, 84% chance R majority.

Their default model is the Deluxe, which they described before the election as "the best and most accurate", but this time the Lite model looks like ending up the most accurate in both average seats and vote margin (and will probably end up forecasting the Senate best too), so I wonder how they will play it next time. The Deluxe model has only been running since 2018, and goes slightly against their philosophy of building a mathematical model, and then NOT putting a thumb on the scales to get an answer that seems to fit better.
    The Republicans strongly outperformed Senate and House polling in 2020. Had Trump not thrown a strop, they'd have held the Senate. That made the De Luxe model look better.

This time, the polling was generally, very accurate.

Then add in candidate selection. Despite polarisation, there is plainly a chunk of the Republican electorate who will not vote for terrible candidates. The fact that the Republicans won everything statewide in Georgia, bar the Senate, points to this, as do the results in Pennsylvania, and Arizona. In Penn, the GOP candidate for Governor could hardly feed and dress himself, like their candidate for Senator in Arizona.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,227
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The two big threats from Russia right now are the expected imminent arrival of ballistic missiles from Iran, and the increasing success of the Lancet drones in hitting Ukrainian artillery and air defence equipment.

Oh, and a third being that they've cut a deal with the US for a ceasefire, which would prevent Ukraine liberating more occupied territory. On this point it will be illuminating to see how much artillery Russia throws across the river at Kherson City.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

Funny, I was in Southampton General last weekend having a 'procedure' courtesy of the NHS, and the department seemed to be working away normally
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

R4 pushback on NEXT boss remarks yesterday “he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and needs to pay his workers more”. David Goodheart of Policy Exchange. Suggests expanding the scheme for 18-30 year olds to come & work for 2 years that we currently have bilaterally with Aus/Nz/Japan/S.Korea unilaterally with EU27.

Non-reciprocal freedom of movement for EU workers? I'll chalk that up as another benefit of Brexit.
    Those deals are reciprocal.
    The suggestion this morning was to make a non reciprocal offer to EU youngster just to overcome the issues and make goodwill gestures to the EU.
    That's just stupid, especially when the EU doesn't control this kind of deal anyway. They are on a national basis and we'd have to sign 27 separate ones. We could legitimately pick and choose.
    I'm just the messenger. Discussed on the Today programme this morning. It was the only thing the two sides, of whatever the argument was, agreed on.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Sean_F said:

538 says

Manchin is essentially beyond any pressure from Democrats, as he has to plough his own furrow to have any chance of re-election.
    Sinema is up for re-election in 2024; if she doesn't toe the line rather more than she has recently - and she's done less than nothing to help her colleagues this last year - she risks being primaried.
    If Manhin intends to run again in 2024, he will probably have to be a considerable thorn in the side of the Democrats. He is the only Democrat now who can win West Virginia.

Sinema would almost certainly be a Republican, if she was heterosexual.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ping said:

The gloom continues.

'preciated.

It is eye opening having to go into a hospital on a weekend daytime just how totally deserted it and the car park etc is. On a weekday it can be a case of queueing just to wait for the barrier to lift for a space to be available in the car park, on a weekend its deserted.

A total waste of money. A factory with the level of investment hospitals have wouldn't shut down just because its a Sunday.
    But the patient demand can't be turned on and off like a factory. So it's never going to be optimal staffing, whether it's 7/7 or whatever. [edit] That's the classic excuse of the privatisers - run the service down till it is well beyond the sane operational level to take care of small scale fluctuiations, and blame the NHS model itself. I strongly suspect we are seeing the traffic queuing fallacy being used as a shield to attack the public medicine model.
    The patient demand is stalled by refusing to offer patients non emergency appointments at the weekend.

It's got nothing to do with public versus private. Public or private can be 24/7 or at the very least 8-12/7

Shift work nowadays is bog standard for much of the workforce. Why should it be any different for hospitals?

I'm sure many patients offered a choice of being seen this Saturday or 2 months time on a Wednesday would absolutely go for the weekend appointment.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Could he fund an independent run though? He can only use it for blackmail if it's doable.
    Probably, if this story is anything to go by:

"Former President Trump pulled in $255.4 million in political donations from his supporters in the eight weeks following the 2020 election, according to new federal filings, but much of this money—which was solicited to fund challenges to the outcome based on specious claims of voter fraud—will likely be put to other uses."
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

A weapon that nobody can tell if it's been used or not doesn't sound THAT scary.
    The FT (££) has a deliciously different take

“A tactical nuclear weapon used to create an explosion would most likely be ineffective against the mobile, dispersed combination of guerrilla and conventional warfare that Ukrainians are deploying to reclaim their territory.

“But the use of a nuclear weapon for electromagnetic warfare is a different matter. The signature of this type of attack would not be a fireball and mushroom cloud but a weird electric blue medusa orb pulsing directly overhead, followed by silence. At that altitude, the sound will not carry.”

Call me Sergeant Major Super-Observant, but I’d definitely notice a huge “weird electric blue Medusa orb pulsing directly over London” followed by total eerie silence and the failure of every electronic device in south east England
  • Options
    Electric Blue Medusa Orb would be a great name for an early Pink Floyd album
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

That article is conflating two different things, though.
    One is a nuke; the other would be of pretty limited effect.

A nuke only generates major EMP by being detonated in the upper atmosphere. It also has be pretty large to generate the effect - a megaton or 2 fired several hundred miles up will be a bold statement.

See Starfish Prime

The conventional EMP weapons - explosively collapsing a coil etc - have the problem that they aren't nukes. So orders of magnitude less energy. There is even debate about if you could make a portable one that would have any kind of range at all.

Lastly, the myth that "The Russians use/used valves in everything to protect against EMP" is, indeed, a myth. Valves don't make you EMP proof. And the Russian military, these days uses lots and lots of commercial chips with no EMP protection. Unlike the Western weapons that Ukraine is being supplied with - many of which were designed and built to resist EMP.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

“A tactical nuclear weapon used to create an explosion would most likely be ineffective against the mobile, dispersed combination of guerrilla and conventional warfare that Ukrainians are deploying to reclaim their territory.

“But the use of a nuclear weapon for electromagnetic warfare is a different matter. The signature of this type of attack would not be a fireball and mushroom cloud but a weird electric blue medusa orb pulsing directly overhead, followed by silence. At that altitude, the sound will not carry.”

Call me Sergeant Major Super-Observant, but I’d definitely notice a huge “weird electric blue Medusa orb pulsing directly over London” followed by total eerie silence and the failure of every electronic device in south east England
    "every electronic device in south east England "

Hmmm. I think you overestimate the power of such a (non-nuclear) device.

Also, the ruskies would have to be very, very careful that such an event does not trigger the west's nuclear warning satellites.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Perhaps; however:

They're talking about the nuke for EMP, which would have a hugely detrimental effect but it's still a nuke which we now know Putin isn't going to go for or is unable to convince the military chain of command to use (see the Kherson retreat with no nuclear retaliation). You have posted about a non-nuke EMP which can cover a tiny area of ground and would be useless on the battlefield.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The betting is against K. Lake now.

The 7/1 someone (sorry for forgetting!) tipped here is certainly getting its money's worth.

I cashed out some, but £40 is still better than nothing, if the Dems do win it.
This discussion has been closed.