Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Punters give Sunak a 23% chance of winning the general election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• malcolmg said:

Another Ukrainian-Turkish-UN convoy of grain ships left Odesa this morning, breaking through Russia’s naval blockade of Ukraine for a second day in a row.

Again, the Russian Black Sea Fleet is nowhere to be seen.

Erdogan has called Putin’s bluff.

🇹🇷🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1587428433990225922

They are still repairing their ships
    The ships that weren’t damaged? Odd that….
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

Will Bryant withdraw, apologise and face sanction now his allegations have been completely demolished?

probably not. He believes what he sees with his own eyes, rather than a bunch of self serving tories pulling the wool over Speaker Hoyle's eyes, (which let's face it, is very easy to do).
    What's surprising is not that Conservative MPs might be economical with the actualite, but rather that they can stop infighting sufficiently long to concoct an account that might persuade the Speaker.

• On Russian casualties I read a report on Twitter recently that a large group of conscripts were gathered together in the open to prepare to go to the front line. Ukrainian artillery found them.
  • Nigelb said:

Will Bryant withdraw, apologise and face sanction now his allegations have been completely demolished?

probably not. He believes what he sees with his own eyes, rather than a bunch of self serving tories pulling the wool over Speaker Hoyle's eyes, (which let's face it, is very easy to do).
    What's surprising is not that Conservative MPs might be economical with the actualite, but rather that they can stop infighting sufficiently long to concoct an account that might persuade the Speaker.

it's the self-preservation society....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Just crunching the numbers of the Uke war

If 500 Russians are dying every day, then at least as many Ukes are dying. Indeed normally you expect the attacker to lose 2-3 times as many. So 1000 Ukes could be dying daily

1500 a day = 45,000 dead soldiers every MONTH (plus civilians). For comparison the USA lost 60,000 in the entire Vietnam War

This is very much war we haven’t witnessed in Europe since WW2. Indeed I wonder if there were many months in the European theatre of WW2 when 45,000 soldiers died every month. Probably on the Eastern Front at its most intense? Stalingrad? Kursk? The Battle for Berlin?

Battle of the Bulge was a month long and Us took about 20k dead + fuckloads more casualties. Imagine Germany would have to have been something similar. Operation Market Garden was 10 days and thousands dead.

WW2 Casualty and death figures are huge. We are talking millions of dead per side for the Germans and Russians. The average monthly death toll on the Eastern Front was way, way higher than 45k a month.
    As per the figures I gave above. Casualty figures are generally more reliable than deaths, for relatively obvious reasons, not least of definition. Deaths in field are usually around a third of total casualties.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Matt Hancock having the whip removed faster than Chris Pincher did really does say something.

https://twitter.com/AmandaCC92/status/1587400145003487232

Yes; Sunak is marginally better at politics than Boris was.

Only marginally, mind.
    I think people may be underestimating Sunak….admittedly his immediate predecessors represent a very low base, but I think he’s cannier than people give him credit for.
    I think that's correct, but one or two of his cabinet appointments have been *very* disappointing and IMO were unforced errors.
  • Nigelb said:

Bryant on WATO pointed out that the investigation was carried out by the Sergeant at Arms and he did not resile from his claims.

He reported what he saw, and the MPs involved (specifically, those on the receiving end) have chosen to say that they weren’t mistreated. That doesn’t mean that his allegations were demolished.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760
    MaxPB said:

Think it's lower than that right now. Rishi has a huge mountain to climb and the migrant crisis needs a resolution before the end of the year so that no more boats arrive from France in 2023 and the majority of the ones who have arrived are deported back to Albania. I don't think this government is up to the job and that means they will lose in 2024.

To be fair I am not sure any government is.

If someone gets into a boat in another country and comes across there is practically speaking very little you can do if the French won’t cooperate

Matt Hancock having the whip removed faster than Chris Pincher did really does say something.

Only marginally, mind.
    I think people may be underestimating Sunak….admittedly his immediate predecessors represent a very low base, but I think he’s cannier than people give him credit for.
    Once he’s got Braverman out of the HS job, and got away with it with the nutjobs behind him, then we can say that he is canny. Meanwhile her appointment looks like his first big mistake.
  • SKS behind even on TSE's favourite DRAG measure

Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    19h
    Combined Net Approval Ratings (30 October):

Rishi Sunak: +10% (+8)
    Keir Starmer: +8% (-5)
    Jeremy Hunt: +6% (+13)

Big improvements for Rishi and Hunt and not surprising as they are the grown ups for once and dare I say being underestimated by some on here
    Are you related to the Big G who a few days ago said we shouldn't take any notice of polling at all, at least until after the budget statement and probably not until the New Year?
    I maintain it will be next Spring before a clear indication of any conservative recovery is evident but observing a trend is useful towards this and certainly the early trend for Rishi is encouraging
    Scott_xP said:

Parties are upping the ante on their Hancock hot takes.

Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael says Hancock would "rather spend his time gargling pig semen in the jungle than spend another minute on the backbenches"

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1587421692191703048

How do you think the blue wall based employees of Genus, the world leader in pig genetics, will react to the Lib Dems dissing their export business?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Ukraine claimed Russian troops losses…

During the summer artillery fest, the numbers averaged around 200 per day. There was then a sharp increase from the last week of August, with the 7-day average peaking at 450 on 11 Sep, as the liberation of the Izyum axis reached its crescendo, before steadily dropping back to summer levels.

Then starting the last week of Sept, we saw another new peak starting, with 7D average reaching 475 as Ukraine took major ground in Kherson and Lyman and surrounds.

Things then settled to a higher new daily average of 350.

Over the last 4-5 days we’ve seen a new peak commencing, of the type which has historically preceded a major territorial gain. Moving average still rising and at 566 today. Will be interesting to see if these means we’re going to see a major shift in the battle lines in north Luhansk/Kherson, or if this is just desperate human wave tactics from Russia against the deeply dug lines around the Donetsk / Bahkmut.

I believe it is the mobilised troops being thrown in as cannon fodder. They have neither the training or the equipment required. Ukraine has an artillery advantage and they are being pulverised. Mud season has set in so movement is quite difficult at present which I think explains the lack of movement on the frontline. However, Russia is still making concerted effort in some locations (e.g. Bakhmut) which is where heavy losses are coming.

What puts it in perspective is that in 20 years in Afghanistan the British Army lost 454 men. I'm sure we all remember the reading out of individual names in Parliament when they were lost. If Ukraine's numbers are accurate then Russia is losing more than that - every single day!
    We all want Russia to lose but those are horrifying numbers. 500-600 young men a day. Every day. 500 sons, brothers, fathers, many of them hapless conscripts, blown apart, dismembered, shot to pieces, vaporised, mutilated, buried alive, eviscerated

And of course Ukraine will be losing 100s as well. What a desolate thing
    Ukraine will eb losing less than the Russians, they are real soldiers. Russia is throwing in poor souls with no training and pitchforks. They have no chance.
    The depth of your intellectual and military analysis is astonishing. Sandhurst and West Point must be begging you to come and lecture to them.
    Did your mummy never tell you it was rude to butt into other people's conversations Adolf. GIRFUY
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Starmer is likely to be the next PM, the question is more if he can get a majority or not
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Personally, I quite like the implicit 100-1 on "anybody else".
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,151

MaxPB said:

Think it's lower than that right now. Rishi has a huge mountain to climb and the migrant crisis needs a resolution before the end of the year so that no more boats arrive from France in 2023 and the majority of the ones who have arrived are deported back to Albania. I don't think this government is up to the job and that means they will lose in 2024.

If someone gets into a boat in another country and comes across there is practically speaking very little you can do if the French won’t cooperate
    If the boats are predominantly full of Albanians, as some reports, including from the Government, suggest, then that's a group with a very low success rate for asylum applications, so we catch them, process them and deport (most of) them. This isn't rocket science.
  • Scott_xP said:

Parties are upping the ante on their Hancock hot takes.

Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael says Hancock would "rather spend his time gargling pig semen in the jungle than spend another minute on the backbenches"

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1587421692191703048

How do you think the blue wall based employees of Genus, the world leader in pig genetics, will react to the Lib Dems dissing their export business?
    free publicity for Genus?
  • IanB2 said:

He reported what he saw, and the MPs involved (specifically, those on the receiving end) have chosen to say that they weren’t mistreated. That doesn’t mean that his allegations were demolished.
    A whole stack of contemporaneous reports from multiple sources and at least one photo of what appears to be a contretemps.

That after a period of time MPs have formally said "no sir, the bully didn't hit me, I fell over in the playground" is hardly a surprise.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

On Russian casualties I read a report on Twitter recently....

Say no more.

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

During the summer artillery fest, the numbers averaged around 200 per day. There was then a sharp increase from the last week of August, with the 7-day average peaking at 450 on 11 Sep, as the liberation of the Izyum axis reached its crescendo, before steadily dropping back to summer levels.

Then starting the last week of Sept, we saw another new peak starting, with 7D average reaching 475 as Ukraine took major ground in Kherson and Lyman and surrounds.

Over the last 4-5 days we’ve seen a new peak commencing, of the type which has historically preceded a major territorial gain. Moving average still rising and at 566 today. Will be interesting to see if these means we’re going to see a major shift in the battle lines in north Luhansk/Kherson, or if this is just desperate human wave tactics from Russia against the deeply dug lines around the Donetsk / Bahkmut.

I believe it is the mobilised troops being thrown in as cannon fodder. They have neither the training or the equipment required. Ukraine has an artillery advantage and they are being pulverised. Mud season has set in so movement is quite difficult at present which I think explains the lack of movement on the frontline. However, Russia is still making concerted effort in some locations (e.g. Bakhmut) which is where heavy losses are coming.

What puts it in perspective is that in 20 years in Afghanistan the British Army lost 454 men. I'm sure we all remember the reading out of individual names in Parliament when they were lost. If Ukraine's numbers are accurate then Russia is losing more than that - every single day!
    We all want Russia to lose but those are horrifying numbers. 500-600 young men a day. Every day. 500 sons, brothers, fathers, many of them hapless conscripts, blown apart, dismembered, shot to pieces, vaporised, mutilated, buried alive, eviscerated

Ukraine will eb losing less than the Russians, they are real soldiers. Russia is throwing in poor souls with no training and pitchforks. They have no chance.
    The depth of your intellectual and military analysis is astonishing. Sandhurst and West Point must be begging you to come and lecture to them.
    I should have guessed you would be a Putin sockpuppet Foreskin, though I underestimated what an evil nasty piece of merde you really are.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Dulce et decorum est...

Head of RT Margarita Simonyan praised "the beauty of war," as opposed to societal freedoms, and said she would rather die than live in a world where people can deal with their own sexuality according to their own free will.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1587378303576543233
    That’s classic Yukio Mishima-style fucked-up Fascism
    Fascism always turns into a death cult in the end. True believers will prefer death to accepting the insult to their self image that losing on the battlefield implies.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,081

Only marginally, mind.
    I think that's correct, but one or two of his cabinet appointments have been *very* disappointing and IMO were unforced errors.
    That's probably correct, but it sounds awfully like:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4125089#Comment_4125089
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4032077#Comment_4032077
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4055934#Comment_4055934

This is no criticism of the individual posters there, but it does feel like novelty and polling wobbles lead to underestimation of the pit into which the Tories have fallen, whoever is leader. And Sunak has not been unerringly sure-of-foot this last week or two.

malcolmg said:

Another Ukrainian-Turkish-UN convoy of grain ships left Odesa this morning, breaking through Russia’s naval blockade of Ukraine for a second day in a row.

Again, the Russian Black Sea Fleet is nowhere to be seen.

Erdogan has called Putin’s bluff.

🇹🇷🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1587428433990225922

They are still repairing their ships
    The ships that weren’t damaged? Odd that….
    If they can turn their flagship into a submarine anything is possible

glw said:

Leon said:

If 500 Russians are dying every day, then at least as many Ukes are dying. Indeed normally you expect the attacker to lose 2-3 times as many. So 1000 Ukes could be dying daily

1500 a day = 45,000 dead soldiers every MONTH (plus civilians). For comparison the USA lost 60,000 in the entire Vietnam War

This is very much war we haven’t witnessed in Europe since WW2. Indeed I wonder if there were many months in the European theatre of WW2 when 45,000 soldiers died every month. Probably on the Eastern Front at its most intense? Stalingrad? Kursk? The Battle for Berlin?

Back in early March I noted that Russia was losing more people per week than the worst year of the Soviet-Afghan War. IIRC Russia passed the total of that war about 7 or 8 weeks in. It is now heading towards three times the total. Militarily this war has been a complete catastrophe for Russia.
    The Black Sea Fleet has largely been confined to dock. The loss of one and perhaps two flagships has meant it has had no capacity to support an amphibious landing on Odessa which seems to have been abandoned, thanks to the anti-ship missiles Ukraine had (as now topped up). Ukraine will keep a Black Sea presence - very much not what was intended.

The Russian air force had no cover along the northern Black Sea coast because of the absence of the fleet. That has caused control of the skies to be largely missing in the southern and eastern areas. The supply of ubiquitous manpads has taken out a significant number of fixed wing aircraft when they do appear. Even worse, the helicopters, especially the K-52 Alligator, have played limited roles in supporting/moving ground troops - and when they have, at a high cost. Their battlefield performances have been terrible adverts for those who might have been considering purchasing them.

The real catastrophe though has been the Army. NATO must have looked on in bewilderment that this was the Army they had been fearing in Europe for decades. Their blitzkrieg on Kyiv was a fiasco of unclear aims, woeful intelligence and strategy based on them just rolling up to an enemy that would melt away like mist. Many of the troops didn't even know they were going for something more than an exercise. Other elite units raced ahead for battle honours - only to then be destroyed as functioning regiments.

When they regrouped and got their shit together for artillery barrage --> destroy everything in front of them - -> advance and repeat, it worked in Donbas. For a while. But once they lost the advantage of range against HIMARS (a piece of quite aged kit, especially when deprived by the US of its longer range shells) their only successful method of waging war fell apart. Their main battle tanks were no match for cheap and prolific anti-tank weapons in theatre. The rest of their kit fared worse, with things such as tyres and fuel proving a logistics bridge too far. Massive ammunition dumps moved by trains were the way Russia had always done it - but not next time, you have to think, as one after another they got picked off from 50 miles away with pinpoint precision.

Russia might still try a new surprise offensive out of Belarus. But between Belarus and Ukraine is the largest marshland in Europe. The few routes through are heavily mined/obstructed and have artillery pinpointing the limited attack points. Unless Russia can find a very different way of fighting a war against Ukraine, it is hard to see how that ends in anything other than another rout - followed by the likely overthrow of Lukashenko by the true winner of the presidential election. That means another candidate for NATO membership snug against the Russian border, adding to the strategic disaster of Sweden and Finland joining, bringing nukes within 50 miles of St. Petersburg. Forget ICBMs - you could now almost drive a nuke there in a Transit van.

You're forgetting the other problem the Russians have: they're chewing through both their artillery pieces and their supply of shells.

In the former case, it is not just that the Ukrainians are hitting them with their own counter-batteries, it is also the fact that barrels are made with lower quality metal and are deforming and become useless.

In the latter, Russia is now in the position of having to beg for shells from its few remaining allies.
    edited November 2022
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Did your mummy never tell you it was rude to butt into other people's conversations Adolf. GIRFUY
    Malcolm obviously you're the intentionally funniest poster on PB that goes without saying. Using "Adolf" as a term of anything, however, to another poster I don't think burnishes your funny guy credentials.
    Leon said:

Those numbers are made up.

Ukrainians are better trained, armed and - apparently - in defensive positions. Their casualties will be much lower
    edited November 2022

MaxPB said:

Hold on I thought we were finally back in control after Brexit. Now you say it was the big boy France that did it?
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Dulce et decorum est...

Head of RT Margarita Simonyan praised "the beauty of war," as opposed to societal freedoms, and said she would rather die than live in a world where people can deal with their own sexuality according to their own free will.
    Fascism always turns into a death cult in the end.
    How does it start out? All good until they go a bit mad?
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

To underline this: there’s footage around of Russian conscripts being given these as armaments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant

The Nagrant was an OK rifle. In 1890.

These people are just being sent to their deaths in the hope they’ll gum up the Ukranain military machine a little. It’s obscene, but that’s Russian military doctrine for you: the accompanying war crimes are part of the package deal.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

I should have guessed you would be a Putin sockpuppet Foreskin, though I underestimated what an evil nasty piece of merde you really are.
    Your childish attempts to annoy me by projecting your own Salmond nationalism/fascism on me, a centrist, are pathetic. Salmond took money from RT. You are an apologist for Salmond and therefore Putin.

You are just so fucking thick, but then you believe in nationalism, the thickos philosophy that is one step away (or zero steps in your case) from fascism.
    TOPPING said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Dulce et decorum est...

We all know how it starts out don’t we? The trouble is getting enough people to see it and resist it before it gets out of control.
  • TOPPING said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Dulce et decorum est...

Hugo Boss uniforms. They might have been psychotic but the Nazis were well turned out.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    IanB2 said:

Well quite - you simply could not get a more impartial observer of politics in action than a Labour MP commenting while losing a parliamentary vote so heavily to the government.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited November 2022
    148grss said:

Jonathan said:

In my opinion Sunak has a far greater chance than 23%. Whilst it is true that the Tories have been uniquely bad, I think that low figure stems from exaggerated mid-term polls.

I would assume that Sunak has an 7/10 chance of fighting the next election as Tory leader. And that with an 80 seat majority to defend, past experience says that he is 7/10 to end up the largest party after the election.

So I reckon he is about 50:50 to be PM after the next election. The big news for me from the past 12 months is that Labour can win. I put it no stronger than that.

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

If the polls haven't closed with 12 months to go that's a whole different story.

One of the things I feel make Starmer more likely as PM versus Sunak is in the event of a hung parliament, Starmer is the only viable PM. So Sunak needs to hold onto his majority, not just keep Cons as the largest party. I say this because it seems clear that a) Tories losing their majority would be seen as a clear statement the public has lost trust in them (similar to Gordon Brown losing the majority in 2010) and b) no other party would be willing to prop up this Conservative government (I would include the DUP in that after their brush with May and Johnson). So whilst it may not be a 70+% chance Lab makes a majority, I think it is clearly a 70+% chance that the Tories lose theirs, and what happens after will be a Starmer premiership.
    On the other hand, Sunak is the man in possession. Him simply losing his majority doesn't automatically make Sir Keir PM, he then has to assemble an alternative majority. Although the landing zone for a hung parliament where Sir Keir can't assemble a majority is much smaller than usual, it's not nonexistent. A hopelessly hung parliament where there's no majority for anyone leading to a quick second general election returns Sunak as the winner in the market highlighted in the header.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 51% (-4)
    CON: 26% (+3)
    LDM: 9% (+2)
    SNP: 4% (=)
    GRN: 4% (=)
    RFM: 3% (=)

Via @DeltapollUK, 28-31 Oct.
    Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.
  • TOPPING said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Dulce et decorum est...

It starts out murderous and ends up suicidal.
  • PB is like a nightmare dating app. Last week we had Big G and CHB all loved up, today it's Malc and Nige. Lovely for all to witness🥰
    Rishi Sunak and Jeremy Hunt eyeing 'rough' tax rises across the board to help plug fiscal 'black hole' http://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-and-jeremy-hunt-eyeing-rough-tax-rises-across-the-board-to-help-plug-fiscal-black-hole-12735566
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,151
    Driver said:

148grss said:

Jonathan said:

In my opinion Sunak has a far greater chance than 23%. Whilst it is true that the Tories have been uniquely bad, I think that low figure stems from exaggerated mid-term polls.

I would assume that Sunak has an 7/10 chance of fighting the next election as Tory leader. And that with an 80 seat majority to defend, past experience says that he is 7/10 to end up the largest party after the election.

So I reckon he is about 50:50 to be PM after the next election. The big news for me from the past 12 months is that Labour can win. I put it no stronger than that.

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

If the polls haven't closed with 12 months to go that's a whole different story.

One of the things I feel make Starmer more likely as PM versus Sunak is in the event of a hung parliament, Starmer is the only viable PM. So Sunak needs to hold onto his majority, not just keep Cons as the largest party. I say this because it seems clear that a) Tories losing their majority would be seen as a clear statement the public has lost trust in them (similar to Gordon Brown losing the majority in 2010) and b) no other party would be willing to prop up this Conservative government (I would include the DUP in that after their brush with May and Johnson). So whilst it may not be a 70+% chance Lab makes a majority, I think it is clearly a 70+% chance that the Tories lose theirs, and what happens after will be a Starmer premiership.
    On the other hand, Sunak is the man in possession. Him simply losing his majority doesn't automatically make Sir Keir PM, he then has to assemble an alternative majority. Although the landing zone for a hung parliament where Sir Keir can't assemble a majority is much smaller than usual, it's not nonexistent. A hopelessly hung parliament where there's no majority for anyone leading to a quick second general election returns Sunak as the winner in the market highlighted in the header.
    A quick second election will probably help the change candidate, i.e. Starmer.

• felix said:

IanB2 said:

Well quite - you simply could not get a more impartial observer of politics in action than a Labour MP commenting while losing a parliamentary vote so heavily to the government.
    Or a more reliable witness than a victim coming under huge pressure not to let the side down by pursuing a complaint.
  • Matt Hancock having the whip removed faster than Chris Pincher did really does say something.

Only marginally, mind.
    Sunak is undoubtedly a very clever, focused and ambitious chap. He would go far in a world-class consultancy business or investment bank. But the question of his political skills is completely different. I haven't seen much evidence that he has the kind of incredible political abilities he would need to turn things around for the Tories. If anything, he appears to lack decent political instincts and his lack of experience is showing. He is the best the Tories have now, but I can't see him winning the next election.

Driver said:

148grss said:

Jonathan said:

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

A quick second election will probably help the change candidate, i.e. Starmer.

Oh, indeed. But it doesn't help anyone who bets on Sir Keir in the market highlighted in the header, is my only point.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hold on I thought we were finally back in control after Brexit. Now you say it was the big boy France that did it?
    You'll be delighted to hear that I don't blame the French at all. It's absurd to suggest that they would do anything different than wave these people on - do we expect the French to hold them against their will, force them to stay in France and claim asylum there, accommodate them in French hotels etc.? Why? We could pay them eye-watering amounts to do so, but it would be more expensive than having them here, and mean that all the money to house and feed them was being spent in the French economy not ours.

The French are not part of the problem, and they will not be part of the solution. Once people are in France, it's too late.
  • PB is like a nightmare dating app. Last week we had Big G and CHB all loved up, today it's Malc and Nige. Lovely for all to witness🥰

Yeah, get a room guys!
    Stereodog said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

Or a more reliable witness than a victim coming under huge pressure not to let the side down by pursuing a complaint.
    Happy to accept the conclusions of the Sarjeant at arms aren't you?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

What puts it in perspective is that in 20 years in Afghanistan the British Army lost 454 men. I'm sure we all remember the reading out of individual names in Parliament when they were lost. If Ukraine's numbers are accurate then
    Russia is losing more than that - every single day!
    Yup I think you are right, no major movement in territory until the ground freezes I guess.

On numbers, even adjusting for the UK’s smaller population this would be like us losing 200 men a day. Every day, for month after grinding month. With one assumes 2-3 times that wounded. Their population just seems to take it on the chin.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,599

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

The training videos from *pro Russian* sources are startling. No kit, they’ve managed to find AKs so rusty they don’t work. The actual training is stupid - shooting past people’s ears just makes them deaf.

💙❤️🧡
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    edited November 2022
    Driver said:

148grss said:

Jonathan said:

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

Rules say "If no new PM is appointed before a further general election, this market will be void."

Also say "The incumbent PM will be settled as the winner if they successfully form a new government (which may not require the specific invitation above)."

Slightly unclear about what is meant by "successfully form a new government" though. Deliver (and vote through) a Queen's King's Speech? Or a vote of confidence?
  • felix said:

Stereodog said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

Hard to tell if that’s a statement or a question but personally I think the conclusions don’t pass the smell test. Relying on the testimony of a named victim who couldn’t be protected from the consequences of a complaint doesn’t seem right. Also the statement having a go at Bryant for taking photos seems gratuitous. Whether he’s right or wrong it’s clear he really believes that undue pressure was being exerted.

Jonathan said:

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

As an aside, and a general question to PB at large, when do you think Sunak will go to the country?

The three most likely dates are:
    May 2024 - Usual spring election with less than 12 months to go. Disadvantage is this is only 18 months away now, and if Sunak loses, whilst it won't be Truss levels of tenure, he'll be firmly down there with the likes of Douglas-Home in the length he's served. It's unlikely he'll do a Wilson and be able to come back.

October 2024 - Hanging on for five more months without a 'to the death' election like Major did. Bit longer to turn things around and not too late in the year that the dark nights have completely set in.

January 2025 - If I'm going to lose, I'm going to hang on to the bitter end election. I think if he does this, he'll lose from people voting against him for the sheer obvious desperation he'll be showing.

I think October 2024 is most likely, followed by May 24 then January 25.
    Agree. Oct vs May depending on economic outlook
    OT. Much will depend on how the spending review impacts both individuals and the economy. We're also probably some distance from a GE and at the moment the Labour message is 'we're not them'. As time progresses that could come under a lot more scrutiny. The public over the last year or so have shown how fickle they can be. No reason why that will change anytime soon. Indeed on here only days ago people were crowing that Sunak had received no bounce. Now they're desperately flap[ping around trying to rubbish him as the signs of the bounce become clearer. The misguided pile-in on Braveman is an example of the rather poor tactics on display.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

Again, that's not so much of a Sunak bounce as a (relatively modest) Trussaster unwind. Hmm.

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

Again, that's not so much of a Sunak bounce as a (relatively modest) Trussaster unwind. Hmm.
    QED.
    Selebian said:

Driver said:

148grss said:

Jonathan said:

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

Rules say "If no new PM is appointed before a further general election, this market will be void."

Also say "The incumbent PM will be settled as the winner if they successfully form a new government (which may not require the specific invitation above)."

Slightly unclear about what is meant by "successfully form a new government" though. Deliver (and vote through) a Queen's King's Speech? Or a vote of confidence?
    That's alarmingly ambiguous. I assume the intention is to void the market in the scenario I posited, which seems mildly unfair, but I'm not sure the wording is tight enough to do so.
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

QED.
    QED in relation to ...?

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

QED.
    QED in relation to ...?
    His comment immediately preceding yours, I read it as.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,410

Only marginally, mind.
    Sunak is undoubtedly a very clever, focused and ambitious chap. He would go far in a world-class consultancy business or investment bank. But the question of his political skills is completely different. I haven't seen much evidence that he has the kind of incredible political abilities he would need to turn things around for the Tories. If anything, he appears to lack decent political instincts and his lack of experience is showing. He is the best the Tories have now, but I can't see him winning the next election.
    I think of him like a mastermind contestant who has spent all his time on the specialist subject but has no general knowledge.

Could be one of the downsides of forever striving for the next career high: leaving no time to look around.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,814
    edited November 2022

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

But you need to judge the bounce at its top, not whilst its happening/ongoing. May and Johnson both plateaued after about a month, Johnson getting a second bounce after 3 months into the election.
    If it plateaus here, yep, crap bounce, but if we get two or three more weeks of 3% or so swing, a bit better
    Driver said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

QED.
    QED in relation to ...?
    Ah I didn't see it, just logged on.

Yeah, maybe, hard to tell. It could be down to Sunak or it could be Not Liz. I guess we'll see how it plays out, only been a week or so.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880

Only marginally, mind.
    Yes - clearly smart and talented, but political instincts? Initial evidence doesn't look good.

He had those comments about defunding under-funded areas. The green card thing either shows a lack of confidence in his political career or is a bit tone deaf. And given he is a billionaire, wouldn't it be smart to cancel the non-dom status? Just seems like an unnecessary attack line to set up for political opponents. His pitch of being the dry economic candidate was clearly a complete misreading of the Tory membership he needed to win over.
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Malcolm obviously you're the intentionally funniest poster on PB that goes without saying. Using "Adolf" as a term of anything, however, to another poster I don't think burnishes your funny guy credentials.
    I agree Topping but this guy is so nasty it is well merited and until he stops writing abusive posts to me at all times I will return the compliment. He is a nasty nasty piece of work and I will not accept the infantile abuse he constantly posts about me , it is not funny , just sheer nastiness. The clown is obsessed and clearly has issues.

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

QED.
    Stereodog said:

felix said:

Stereodog said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

Hard to tell if that’s a statement or a question but personally I think the conclusions don’t pass the smell test. Relying on the testimony of a named victim who couldn’t be protected from the consequences of a complaint doesn’t seem right. Also the statement having a go at Bryant for taking photos seems gratuitous. Whether he’s right or wrong it’s clear he really believes that undue pressure was being exerted.
    You and Bryant are both entitled to your opinions as are all the other witensses consulted. You don't like the result. Tough shit.

Driver said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

QED.
    QED in relation to ...?
    Ah I didn't see it, just logged on.

Yeah, maybe, hard to tell. It could be down to Sunak or it could be Not Liz. I guess we'll see how it plays out, only been a week or so.
    Exactly my point.

PB is like a nightmare dating app. Last week we had Big G and CHB all loved up, today it's Malc and Nige. Lovely for all to witness🥰

Have I missed something

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Your childish attempts to annoy me by projecting your own Salmond nationalism/fascism on me, a centrist, are pathetic. Salmond took money from RT. You are an apologist for Salmond and therefore Putin.

You are just so fucking thick, but then you believe in nationalism, the thickos philosophy that is one step away (or zero steps in your case) from fascism.
    Pull it up your bellend is showing and it is not a pretty sight.
  • 6 months you say? 6 weeks more like.

• DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Dulce et decorum est...

I have yet to track down the original Russian, but the "beauty of war" quote is probably fake.

See the report at the Daily Beast.

This is in the context of Putin's heaven and silence joke at Valdai (which itself was very interesting but I wouldn't go to Twitter seeking intelligent commentary on it).

Non-Russophones be aware: there is no definite (or indefinite) article in Russian, so when translating into English you need to know what somebody is talking about before you choose between "war" and "the war". And there may not be a super-close equivalent for the Russian.

Simonyan does praise the war, or war, though, as making stuff clearer and in particular making what she sees as the life-or-death cultural conflict clearer. This is going by what I read on the Daily Beast in English.

Not on Twitter. I wouldn't wipe my a*se on Twitter.

Comparisons with Mishima aside (or the Spanish Legion with its "Long live death!", or Mussolini's hypostatisation of war), consider the Russian specificity. Apocalypse big in Russian culture? Shocker!

Doesn't look as though the next president in Russia is likely to be a westerniser...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    malcolmg said:

PB is like a nightmare dating app. Last week we had Big G and CHB all loved up, today it's Malc and Nige. Lovely for all to witness🥰

Have I missed something
    Don’t let them take the piss. I love you Malc.
    Scale of the challenge klaxon
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1587452982010212352?t=A-WQ8ROi8SGQsjeMjXV-pA&s=19
    Figures off the floor but still dire govt/economy approvals
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Have I missed something
    Don’t let them take the piss. I love you Malc.
    I always knew that Dougie xx
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Imagine if Russia played England at football, Malc. Who'd be the real men with the hairiest a*ses then, bearing in mind that Burns Night is big in Russia?

BREAKING: Andrew Leak, 66, has been identified as the suspect in an incident at Dover immigration centre.

https://trib.al/Rx0iR33

📺 Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1587458971337740288/video/1
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    Driver said:

148grss said:

Jonathan said:

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

The obvious problem with any hung parliament is indeed in being able to assemble a majority.
    Assuming we end up in hung Parliament territory, then we'll probably have:

CON & LAB - Anywhere between 240 and 315 (each)
    LD and SNP - Likely in the teens for the first - maybe low 20s. Anywhere between 35 and 55 for the latter.
    The others - Plaid 3, 4 or 5? Greens 1-2?
    Norn Iron - Could be all over the place, but unlikely any party has more than 10 (DUP).

In NI, the SDLP will hang with Labour, the Alliance with the LD and the UUP likely with the Conservatives. The DUP will likely also go with the Cons, but who knows. I assume SF will abstain.

In GB, I can't see either the LD or SNP working with the Conservatives, even though it'll be 9 years since the Coalition. The LDs got burnt badly by this. They won't repeat this experiment for a while yet, and even if they could, a hung parliament means the Cons are on the way down. Like in 2010, I doubt LD would've ever helped Brown and Labour (they were seen as on their way out) even if Brown had offered PR without a referendum.

But a result like the 2017 exit poll could be a disaster for all parties (CON 314, Lab 262, SNP 35 and LD 14). As Osbourne wryly observed, this would be unworkable for everyone. A second election within six months would likely follow.

Cons above 315 is basically a Conservative 'win'.
    Cons between 305 and 315 is an unworkable hung parliament.
    Cons below that and it's probably a Labour/LD minority (with SNP support..... or maybe not).
  • Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

Big question here is how sticky that Labour vote is going to be.

I would expect some to sheer off nearer the GE to LDs (when people remember they exist), but if they’re scoring low-mid 40s it’s difficult to see how they don’t achieve at least a small majority.

Tories appear to have arrested the rot. They now need to try and get back into the 30s. If they can get to the point where they’re getting 34-35% of the vote at the GE they make Labours task for a majority that much harder.

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

I would expect some to sheer off nearer the GE to LDs (when people remember they exist), but if they’re scoring low-mid 40s it’s difficult to see how they don’t achieve at least a small majority.

Tories appear to have arrested the rot. They now need to try and get back into the 30s. If they can get to the point where they’re getting 34-35% of the vote at the GE they make Labours task for a majority that much harder.
    Yeah im working on the assumption that 35/36 is probably the stop the majority total (obvs dependnding on LDs and Reform etc and the Scottish output)

Driver said:

148grss said:

Jonathan said:

My current hunch.

50% Sunak
    45% Starmer
    5% Another Tory

The obvious problem with any hung parliament is indeed in being able to assemble a majority.
    Assuming we end up in hung Parliament territory, then we'll probably have:

CON & LAB - Anywhere between 240 and 315 (each)
    LD and SNP - Likely in the teens for the first - maybe low 20s. Anywhere between 35 and 55 for the latter.
    The others - Plaid 3, 4 or 5? Greens 1-2?
    Norn Iron - Could be all over the place, but unlikely any party has more than 10 (DUP).

In NI, the SDLP will hang with Labour, the Alliance with the LD and the UUP likely with the Conservatives. The DUP will likely also go with the Cons, but who knows. I assume SF will abstain.

In GB, I can't see either the LD or SNP working with the Conservatives, even though it'll be 9 years since the Coalition. The LDs got burnt badly by this. They won't repeat this experiment for a while yet, and even if they could, a hung parliament means the Cons are on the way down. Like in 2010, I doubt LD would've ever helped Brown and Labour (they were seen as on their way out) even if Brown had offered PR without a referendum.

But a result like the 2017 exit poll could be a disaster for all parties (CON 314, Lab 262, SNP 35 and LD 14). As Osbourne wryly observed, this would be unworkable for everyone. A second election within six months would likely follow.

Cons above 315 is basically a Conservative 'win'.
    Cons between 305 and 315 is an unworkable hung parliament.
    Cons below that and it's probably a Labour/LD minority (with SNP support..... or maybe not).
    I'd agree with almost all of that - the only thing I'd add is that I would be surprised if the Lib Dems would actively put Labour in if Tories were to get most votes and most seats. The SNP, obviously, would.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456

Did Suella Braverman’s father “invade” Kenya when he emigrated there from India?

Did her mother “invade” Mauritius when she moved there?

Did both her parents “invade” the UK when they emigrated here?

And did Braverman herself “invade” France when she lived there for 2 years?

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1587210277900226561

Did any of them travel in a convoy of thousands without documentation?
    Well in fairness her father probably did travel with thousands, although probably with documentation, but because they had it. Many don't. 30,000 arrived in a 3 month period, probably around 100,000 in total from Uganda and Kenya. It was different because it was only 2 countries and people involved were better organised (middle class) and it was a very specific time period and we were more welcoming, but essentially it was the same. If you take away those positives they may well have been in boats without papers. More so as the UK would have been the obvious place for them all to travel to once they were not welcome in Uganda and Kenya. Just because we made it easier for them doesn't make the current refugees less worthy.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678

6 months you say? 6 weeks more like.

I had to take a look at Lembit Opik, suddenly remembering he existed.
    He's taken quite the political journey these last few years if Wikipedia is to be believed, drifting towards trying to be President of Estonia and then speaking at Conservative conferences and then finally UKIP.

Glad he's gone from the LDs now then.......

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

That sheering off to the LDs question: it depends to what extent the not-Tory vote is actually anti-Tory.

Because I can well imagine the headline numbers being slightly lower for Labour and slightly higher for the LDs on election day than in the polling in the week before, but for that to be to the Tories' detriment in seat totals.

He's taken quite the political journey these last few years if Wikipedia is to be believed, drifting towards trying to be President of Estonia and then speaking at Conservative conferences and then finally UKIP.

His Montgomeryshire loss in 2010 was the furthest down the target list Cameron's Tories got. Target 210 from memory
    edited November 2022

His Montgomeryshire loss in 2010 was the furthest down the target list Cameron's Tories got. Target 210 from memory
    If I had a political party, the last person I'd want to be a member was Lembit Opik. The man is a certified idiot.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

I suspect my bellend is more attractive than your ugly fat, bald, hate filled face. Your wife certainly told me she thinks it is.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456

Why he was given Montgomeryshire I will never fathom.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138

I expect the Estonians are happy they ended up with Kaja Kallas rather than Lembit Opik.
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Andrew Leak, 66, has been identified as the suspect in an incident at Dover immigration centre.

📺 Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1587458971337740288/video/1

66 years old. Bloody boomer, of course
    Well, quite.

• malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

I agree Topping but this guy is so nasty it is well merited and until he stops writing abusive posts to me at all times I will return the compliment. He is a nasty nasty piece of work and I will not accept the infantile abuse he constantly posts about me , it is not funny , just sheer nastiness. The clown is obsessed and clearly has issues.
    Oh wipe away your tears. You are projecting again. The only reason I am rude to you is because you are abusive to others you disagree with. You are a thuggish bully and sadly there are those on here who are afraid to call you out because they then have to put up with your low intellect abuse. If you post less stupid and infantile prejudiced posts I will leave you alone.

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 13-17 Oct.

Tories could see a bit of return movement from Labour and a bit of counter-movement away to the LDs if they keep up the culture warfare on migrants for a bit.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

An angry right wing boomer. I wonder what his PB handle was.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

I suspect my bellend is more attractive than your ugly fat, bald, hate filled face. Your wife certainly told me she thinks it is.
    Hey guys, get a room before the ban hammer exiles you there.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

FPT

moonshine said:

Hey guys, get a room before the ban hammer exiles you there.
    I thought that was quite funny and proportionate. But I take your point and I apologise if anyone was offended
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Scott_xP said:

He was probably mentally ill. He killed himself afterwards.
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he any relation of Sue Leak?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    I assume Hancock is stepping down at the next election.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

I thought he was now president of Outer Space.
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Definitely.

That was an unexpected conversation stopper.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Good to know that suicide bombers are mentally ill, then. We should be more sympathetic.
    mwadams said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Definitely.

That was an unexpected conversation stopper.
    I couldn't get past "Mentaly"...
This discussion has been closed.