Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The voters are clear about a Boris Johnson return – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited November 2022 in General
The voters are clear about a Boris Johnson return – politicalbetting.com

Will Boris Johnson return? And should he?All BritonsWill: 17% / Will not 69%Should 19% / Should not 72%Con votersWill: 26% / Will not 62%Should 37% / Should not 56%https://t.co/0UwBFyVRze + https://t.co/LVA0Q2OTf9 pic.twitter.com/k5hwECRvju

Read the full story here

Comments

• londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Boris isn't coming back!
  • Yougov should set up yougovbet.co.uk and offer those who think he definitely and probably will 5/4. If they are reading this my commission is 10%.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    The only way Johnson has a second coming is if a lady follows up with...no, better not,
  • ydoethur said:

The only way Johnson has a second coming is if a lady follows up with...no, better not,

To think you accused me of having a filthy mind the other day.

ydoethur said:

Why would you assume I was finishing off with something filthy? Obviously, I was going to say, 'follows up with evidence he didn't lie about Partygate.'
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,249
    ydoethur said:

So it is the 28th October. I am sitting in my conservatory, in a lovely autumn sunlight, and with the door to the house open so that the heaters percolated through nicely. I've just cooked my lunch for very little electricity because the solar panels are still pumping out power, and I perfectly warm and comfortable.

The reason I'm not outside is because there's quite a strong wind blowing so it is a little bit colder, but even so I walked to the chemist and back this afternoon without feeling the need for a coat.

That wind and that sun mean that 48% of our electricity is being generated from wind or solar power as of this moment. Moreover it means that our heaters are not being run so national gas stocks are not under so much pressure. And Mr Vladimir Putin therefore hopefully will be feeling the strain. Certainly gas prices are apparently plunging at the moment which is great news for everybody except the megalomaniac mass murdering incompetent kleptomaniac old bastard.

The only snag is, it tells me that the planet is more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript, however much it may come in handy at this moment.

I have zero heating on, and my flat is nonetheless TOO warm, because of floor to ceiling, south facing sash windows

On October 28. Sweet

Including all my travels, my energy bill for this year is going to be paradoxically tiny
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

So it is the 28th October. I am sitting in my conservatory, in a lovely autumn sunlight, and with the door to the house open so that the heaters percolated through nicely. I've just cooked my lunch for very little electricity because the solar panels are still pumping out power, and I perfectly warm and comfortable.

The reason I'm not outside is because there's quite a strong wind blowing so it is a little bit colder, but even so I walked to the chemist and back this afternoon without feeling the need for a coat.

That wind and that sun mean that 48% of our electricity is being generated from wind or solar power as of this moment. Moreover it means that our heaters are not being run so national gas stocks are not under so much pressure. And Mr Vladimir Putin therefore hopefully will be feeling the strain. Certainly gas prices are apparently plunging at the moment which is great news for everybody except the megalomaniac mass murdering incompetent kleptomaniac old bastard.

The only snag is, it tells me that the planet is more buggered than a reluctant Turkish conscript, however much it may come in handy at this moment.

I have zero heating on, and my flat is nonetheless TOO warm, because of floor to ceiling, south facing sash windows

On October 28. Sweet

Including all my travels, my energy bill for this year is going to be paradoxically tiny
    Has anyone commissioned you to do a dildo with the instructions 'I want it to be as big as your energy bill?'

If so, are they disappointed at this result...?
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

On October 28. Sweet

Has anyone commissioned you to do a dildo with the instructions 'I want it to be as big as your energy bill?'

I just gave my landlord his final British Gas bill for the three week period between him buying the flat and renting it to me.

He has paid them nothing, and they owe him around £35.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    2018 Brazilian GE, R2, 28 October

Opinion polls Haddad Bolso Blank/spoil/DK

Datafolha 26–27 October 39% 47% 13%
    Ibope 26–27 October 41% 47% 12%
    CNT/MDA 26–27 October 37% 49% 14%
    Datafolha 24–25 October 38% 48% 14%
    Paraná Pesquisas 23–25 October 35% 53% 12%
    RealTime Big Data 24 October 38% 49% 13%
    Ipespe 23–24 October 37% 51% 12%
    Ibope 21–23 October 37% 50% 13%

Ignore 3rd column, recalibrate

Prediction was then Bolsonaro victory with 56.6%, stdev 2.0%. He actually won with 55.1%.
    The aggregators in 2022 are showing Lula with 52.3%.
    Bolsonaro isn't an "I dunno - maybe he's tasty after all" last-moment-surge candidate. He's already ranting about how he's having the election stolen from him in the greatest fraud in Brazilian history...

No polls due today. Lots tomorrow. Then the vote on Sunday.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    ydoethur said:

And currently exporting 14% (but importing 2%, so net 12%) of our electricity. Would have been impossible without the last 20 years of interconnector building.

(Fun fact: one of the new interconnectors runs inside the channel tunnel.)
  • Boris's star seems to be following a simiar trajectory to Trump's. The less fanatical of his supporters are beginning to sense that he isn't in fact the Messiah, just another naughty boy.

It's taken a while but it is a bit of a relief.

These are serious times. We don't need clowns in charge.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    FPT
    ydoethur said:

maxh said:

1/ Remarkable FOI response here. Scot Gov admits it cannot justify a statement made by Sturgeon at FMQs recently, because the statement wasn’t true. Sturgeon has quietly corrected the Official Report…

2/… but the correction is a bait and switch. Her original statement gave the impression that Scotland’s electricity consumption is entirely renewable.

But the correction sneaks in a critical word - *equivalent* - which completely changes the meaning of what was said.

3/ It’s obvious what is going on here. Senior SNP politicians have been engaged in a systematic campaign of misinformation: trying to confuse voters into believing that Scotland can meet demand entirely from its own renewable electricity.

4/ In fact, recent revisions to Scot Gov data show that Scottish renewable generation was capable of meeting Scottish demand just 37.8% of the time in 2021.

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1585937081817518080

So Sturgeon is a liar with a terrible memory? No surprise. During covid she took the easy path (getting briefings from the scientific advisors and then speaking to Scotland before the 4 pm UK national briefing. She portrayed a more measured image than Johnson - that's not hard. But ultimately she, in my opinion, lied to that enquiry about 'not recalling' events, or if not a lie, then her memory is truly terrible.

Why is she so feted?
    For the same reason that some people are now surprised that Sunak is right-wing. She annoys all the right people, and so she must be a good egg.
    Pedantry alert!

"Scottish renewable generation was capable of meeting Scottish demand just 37.8% of the time in 2021"

Sorry if I've missed someone else saying this, but that stands out as a remarkably dodgy stat.

It’s Scottish Government figures:

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1585937106207227910

They don’t turn their nuclear power stations off on windy days, to turn them back on again when it’s calm.
    Doesn't Scotland have just one nuclear power station now - Torness?
    And Hunterston B.
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

On October 28. Sweet

I just gave my landlord his final British Gas bill for the three week period between him buying the flat and renting it to me.

He has paid them nothing, and they owe him around £35.
    It's mad, isn't it? Speaking as a landlord, they should have said the rebate wasn't applicable for empty BTLs.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

And currently exporting 14% (but importing 2%, so net 12%) of our electricity. Would have been impossible without the last 20 years of interconnector building.

(Fun fact: one of the new interconnectors runs inside the channel tunnel.)
    A lot of work had to be done to satisfy the ORR and their French counterparts that it was safe to do that, but very much worthwhile.

FPT

ydoethur said:

maxh said:

1/ Remarkable FOI response here. Scot Gov admits it cannot justify a statement made by Sturgeon at FMQs recently, because the statement wasn’t true. Sturgeon has quietly corrected the Official Report…

2/… but the correction is a bait and switch. Her original statement gave the impression that Scotland’s electricity consumption is entirely renewable.

But the correction sneaks in a critical word - *equivalent* - which completely changes the meaning of what was said.

3/ It’s obvious what is going on here. Senior SNP politicians have been engaged in a systematic campaign of misinformation: trying to confuse voters into believing that Scotland can meet demand entirely from its own renewable electricity.

4/ In fact, recent revisions to Scot Gov data show that Scottish renewable generation was capable of meeting Scottish demand just 37.8% of the time in 2021.

So Sturgeon is a liar with a terrible memory? No surprise. During covid she took the easy path (getting briefings from the scientific advisors and then speaking to Scotland before the 4 pm UK national briefing. She portrayed a more measured image than Johnson - that's not hard. But ultimately she, in my opinion, lied to that enquiry about 'not recalling' events, or if not a lie, then her memory is truly terrible.

Why is she so feted?
    For the same reason that some people are now surprised that Sunak is right-wing. She annoys all the right people, and so she must be a good egg.
    Pedantry alert!

"Scottish renewable generation was capable of meeting Scottish demand just 37.8% of the time in 2021"

Sorry if I've missed someone else saying this, but that stands out as a remarkably dodgy stat.

They don’t turn their nuclear power stations off on windy days, to turn them back on again when it’s calm.
    And Hunterston B.
    You sure?

Hunterston B nuclear power plant closes down after 46 years
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-59894688

One amusing remark from the Johnson era, a variation on a Turkish proverb.

Taking a clown to the palace does not make him a king.
    It makes the palace a circus.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    England
    Lab 54%
    Con 30%
    LD 9%
    Ref 3%
    Grn 2%

Scotland
    SNP 54%
    Lab 28%
    Con 12%
    LD 3%
    Ref 3%

Wales
    Lab 69%
    PC 14%
    Con 13%
    Grn 2%
    LD 2%
    Ref 1%

(Survation; 26-27 October; 2,028)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    edited October 2022
    I note the fixxy* drink company's fine doesn't count towards their F1 budget, so is essentially meaningless as a penalty.

Red Bull fined £6m by FIA over Formula One budget cap breach in 2021 season
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/28/red-bull-fined-6m-by-fia-over-formula-one-budget-cap-breach-in-2021-season

*typo that I rather approved of.
    edited October 2022

Boris's star seems to be following a simiar trajectory to Trump's. The less fanatical of his supporters are beginning to sense that he isn't in fact the Messiah, just another naughty boy.

It's also the case that the job Boris was sent to do - win the Brexit referendum, thrash Corbyn, then win a big election to get Brexit done - has been accomplished. Once that was completed, it was clear Boris had do real clue or agenda for the future. I cannot foresee any plausible circumstances where he now returns to national frontline politics

It is an interesting but lesser question as to what he WILL do next. He is man who is easily bored. A life of writing and speeches will pall, however well paid

I can just about see him running/editing a biggish media outlet. He was an excellent Spectator Editor
    ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

maxh said:

Why is she so feted?
    Pedantry alert!

And Hunterston B.
    You sure?

Silly me! Relying on the accuracy of the Scottish Government:

Scotland has a long history of nuclear research and electricity generation. Nuclear energy accounted for 42.8% of electricity generated in Scotland in 2016.

Scotland has two EDF-owned nuclear stations currently generating electricity: Hunterston B and Torness; and three Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)-owned civil nuclear sites at advanced stages of decommissioning: Dounreay, Chapelcross and Hunterston A.

https://www.gov.scot/policies/nuclear-energy/

ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

maxh said:

Why is she so feted?
    Pedantry alert!

And Hunterston B.
    You sure?

Silly me! Relying on the accuracy of the Scottish Government:

Scotland has a long history of nuclear research and electricity generation. Nuclear energy accounted for 42.8% of electricity generated in Scotland in 2016.

Scotland has two EDF-owned nuclear stations currently generating electricity: Hunterston B and Torness; and three Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)-owned civil nuclear sites at advanced stages of decommissioning: Dounreay, Chapelcross and Hunterston A.

https://www.gov.scot/policies/nuclear-energy/
    Perhaps Nicola Sturgeon was asked if it was shut down and couldn't remember?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    And we have crossover folks!

NOM 2.38
    Lab Maj 2.4
    Con Maj 5.7
    edited October 2022
    Gotta love No10 for saying COP27 isn't the "right occasion" for the king of one of the European countries that used to have a lot of colonies to tell everyone what's what with the planet. He may now put out his own bulletin in response without clearing it with them first.

🍿🍿🍿

"Yes we think you're very important and clever and you've got a brilliantly worked out message, and we'll keep that in mind for other occasions for sure, your Majesty. But this isn't the right occasion because [fill in any old cr*p here]".

He will be furious about this. From his (deranged) POV, he's been humiliated in public.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,473
    Nigelb said:

I note the fixxy* drink company's fine doesn't count towards their F1 budget, so is essentially meaningless as a penalty.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/28/red-bull-fined-6m-by-fia-over-formula-one-budget-cap-breach-in-2021-season

Also a 10% reduction in wind tunnel time.

Well, I hope all the other major teams break the budget next year. The precedent has been set...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,324

Nigelb said:

Well, I hope all the other major teams break the budget next year. The precedent has been set...
    The budget cap is about as meaningless as power unit reliability, the punishments so insignificant as to prevent tactical breaches of the rules.

Lots of vacancies about to be posted, for engineers and fabricators at Mercedes and Ferrari.
    A fascinating experiment begins

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk
    🎶 let the good times roll

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585966869122457600?s=20&t=hgXtH2NNxQMnShufHkLnxg
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    Leon said:

Boris's star seems to be following a simiar trajectory to Trump's. The less fanatical of his supporters are beginning to sense that he isn't in fact the Messiah, just another naughty boy.

It's also the case that the job Boris was sent to do - win the Brexit referendum, thrash Corbyn, then win a big election to get Brexit done - has been accomplished. Once that was completed, it was clear Boris had do real clue or agenda for the future. I cannot foresee any plausible circumstances where he now returns to national frontline politics

It is an interesting but lesser question as to what he WILL do next. He is man who is easily bored. A life of writing and speeches will pall, however well paid

I can just about see him running/editing a biggish media outlet. He was an excellent Spectator Editor
    Well let's hope he finds joy and meaning in his post political life.
    DJ41 said:

Gotta love No10 for saying COP27 isn't the "right occasion" for the king of one of the European countries that used to have a lot of colonies to tell everyone what's what with the planet. He may now put out his own bulletin in response without clearing it with them first.

🍿🍿🍿

"Yes we think you're very important and clever and you've got a brilliantly worked out message, and we'll keep that in mind for other occasions for sure, your Majesty. But this isn't the right occasion because [fill in any old cr*p here]".

He will be furious about this. From his (deranged) POV, he's been humiliated in public.

I wouldn’t be too sure. The Palace asked no.10 for advice which was gratefully received.

They’ll want the King’s first foreign trip to be newsworthy to either an important neighbour (France) or Commonwealth country (Canada) and not some bun fight at Sharm el Sheik.
    DJ41 said:

🍿🍿🍿

He won't. He won't want to break Edward V's unwanted record for the shortest reigning acknowledged monarch.
    edited October 2022
    BREAKING: Brilliant news that @centricaplc’s gas storage site has reopened for this winter, increasing the UK's gas storage capacity by 50%.

This additional capacity strengthens UK energy security and means we can stand up to Putin’s manipulation of global gas supplies.

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1585984193401528320

Good to see Sir Ed Davey’s short sighted mistake being partially reversed.

BREAKING: Brilliant news that @centricaplc’s gas storage site has reopened for this winter, increasing the UK's gas storage capacity by 50%.

This additional capacity strengthens UK energy security and means we can stand up to Putin’s manipulation of global gas supplies.

I wondered who Ed Facet was.

AIR @rcs1000 and @Richard_Tyndall both expressed reservations about reopening the Ruff due to the technical problems there. Do we know if those have been addressed?
  • And we have crossover folks!

NOM 2.38
    Lab Maj 2.4
    Con Maj 5.7

Silly Billy, they keep crossing over.

The technical term is 'flip-flopping favorites', as coined by the late great John McCririck.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

FPT

ydoethur said:

maxh said:

Why is she so feted?
    Pedantry alert!

And Hunterston B.
    Hunterston A still there, 25 years into decommissioning but will be there another 100 before they complete it by looks of things.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Well let's hope he finds joy and meaning in his post political life.
    Bozo would struggle to run a bath
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

ydoethur said:

He was, of course, referring to ice cream as the only way to attract Johnson back to the dinner table once he had left.

What did you think he was referring to?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607
    @vonderburchard
    Spiegel reports that Western intelligence intercepted Russian radio messages end of last year discussing nuclear strikes against Berlin plus the Ramstein and Büchel air bases.

The story speculates that Russia did this to intimidate Scholz — successfully?

https://twitter.com/vonderburchard/status/1585953747569713152
  • Nigelb said:

dont know why they have a budget limit. Surely Formula one strives for the best possible cars racing?

Nigelb said:

dont know why they have a budget limit. Surely Formula one strives for the best possible cars racing?
    Because otherwise there'd only be four teams on the grid and the races would be even more predictable.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    DJ41 said:

🍿🍿🍿

You know he’s not going to do that, right?

And he’s not been humiliated. His job is different now and he understands he has limited freedom of action
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Leon said:

I could imagine him running a brothel.
    edited October 2022
    Meanwhile, as expected:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63420931

I wonder what the DUP will do when Sinn Fein win again?
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I can't. Or at least, It would close very soon as he'd be consuming all the product.
  • ydoethur said:

AIR @rcs1000 and @Richard_Tyndall both expressed reservations about reopening the Ruff due to the technical problems there. Do we know if those have been addressed?
    No they haven't. It will be a matter of how lucky they are going forward for how long they can keep this going. I would not be betting on it being for very long.
    ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, as expected:

It depends if they win the Unionist section of the election. Which they probably will, but they really shouldn't.

ydoethur said:

No they haven't. It will be a matter of how lucky they are going forward for how long they can keep this going. I would not be betting on it being for very long.
    What are the risks and problems (if they can be put in language somebody who is neither a scientist or engineer can understand)? And is it worth doing anyway as a temporary measure, or is it just token gesture?
  • Leon said:

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585966869122457600?s=20&t=hgXtH2NNxQMnShufHkLnxg

It will be interesting to see if he publishes some honest numbers for real users vs bots.

Nigelb said:

Because then there would be only one or two teams, and zero sport (yes, I know much of the 'sport' has gone already).

Basically, the budget of the top few teams has increased massively over the last 30 years. From memory there was a dip in the late 2000s due to the financial crash, but the top teams can just spend, spend, spend. This has several effects: it reduces competitiveness, it rewards throwing money at a problem over innovation, and it means it is nearly impossible for other teams to challenge the top ones.

The budget cap is designed to 'fix' this and stop teams just buying their way to championships. Sadly, this announcement just means that teams can still buy their way to the top.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607
    edited October 2022
    A terrible piece of writing about Sunak from CNN:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/28/uk/rishi-sunak-british-asians-reaction-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html

"Sunak’s wealth and right-wing politics mean he is far from representative, British Asians say"
    ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, as expected:

According to the latest poll, SDLP are in danger of being knocked down to three or four seats. They're almost at the tipping point, like TUV, where you can't win enough voted to get a quota.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Perusing the polling, the smallest Labour lead this month was 21%.
    Given that, the betting odds on Lab majority look tasty. On Con majority insanity.

ydoethur said:

It sounds as if they have only partially reopened it, to 20% of its previous capacity
    https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/455701/centrica-confirms-re-opening-of-rough-gas-storage/
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, as expected:

According to the latest poll, SDLP are in danger of being knocked down to three or four seats. They're almost at the tipping point, like TUV, where you can't win enough voted to get a quota.
    Has there been a poll since the Summer, though?
    They are, at least, transfer-friendlier than TUV
    ydoethur said:

Their press release says:

Centrica has announced the reopening of the Rough gas storage facility, having completed significant engineering upgrades over the summer and commissioning over early autumn.

https://www.centrica.com/media-centre/news/2022/centrica-re-opens-rough-storage-facility/
  • mickydroymickydroy Posts: 316

And we have crossover folks!

NOM 2.38
    Lab Maj 2.4
    Con Maj 5.7

Silly Billy, they keep crossing over.

The technical term is 'flip-flopping favorites', as coined by the late great John McCririck.
    Just over 2 weeks ago I could off got 3/1 on the Tories winning most seats, I was tempted, but didn't fancy tying my money up for 2 years, that price has gone, but if ever that price comes round again.I may indulge

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/28/uk/rishi-sunak-british-asians-reaction-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html

"Sunak’s wealth and right-wing politics mean he is far from representative, British Asians say"

No shit, Sherlock. Nobody is "representative" who reaches the top.
  • ydoethur said:

Centrica has announced the reopening of the Rough gas storage facility, having completed significant engineering upgrades over the summer and commissioning over early autumn.

https://www.centrica.com/media-centre/news/2022/centrica-re-opens-rough-storage-facility/
    The problem they have is they can fix the surface stuff which was left and degraded over the last few years but they can't fix the underlying problems with the reservoir storage which is thousands of feet beneath the sea floor.
  • ydoethur said:

It sounds as if they have only partially reopened it, to 20% of its previous capacity
    https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/455701/centrica-confirms-re-opening-of-rough-gas-storage/
    Yep that makes sense. The limit will be on how much gas they can pump into it with the state of the reservoir.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    dixiedean said:

Given that, the betting odds on Lab majority look tasty. On Con majority insanity.

If you believe mid term polls are valuable indicators of subsequent election outcomes. It’s a pretty big if. In my view, these polls tell us what we already know, which is that Liz Truss completely screwed up and people are not happy about it today.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,736

ydoethur said:

Still only a fifth of previous capacity though.

Leon said:

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk

It will be interesting to see if he publishes some honest numbers for real users vs bots.
    That'll depend on definitions. From what I've seen in the court case, Twitter's stats were probably accurate as reported to the authorities, albeit by a rather loose definition. Musk was just pulling figures out of his backside.

Take me: I got a Twitter account a couple of months back, and have made zero comments, zero likes, and zero retweets. Yet I view it several times a day, and ads are served to me. As far as the advertisers are concerned, I'm a hit. Yet it would be easy for automated filters to see me as a bot, or potential bot.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I can't. Or at least, It would close very soon as he'd be consuming all the product.
    Very unfortunately worded ...
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https://www.private-eye.co.uk%

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Imagine having a job where there are websites which exist solely for watching your every move, criticising everything you do, and retweeting every tiny bit of negative information about you.

I don’t have to, I had one for ten years.
    What job?
    Teaching!
    And finally: we apparently want MPs to be one of us, to 'represent' ourselves. Hence we want a certain number of female MPs, a certain number of BAME MPs, a certain number of state-educated ones. Note 'ability' does not creep into this. Yet we also want them to be 'better' than us. To be the same as us, yet better. It's an impossibility.
    Yes there is some truth to this. The diversity on the government benches is in large part due to the work that Cameron put in in the late naughties, and those now have a dozen years experience as MPs, so are front benches. Would Sunak have been selected for a safe seat a decade or so earlier?

This was helped of course by the large number of new seats won in 2010, and the unusual number of retirements from the expenses scandal fall out. Polls would suggest that there will be a massive clear out at the next GE too, with perhaps half the government benches being novice MPs. An opportunity but also a problem.

One thing that we do seem to have lost is the presence of MPs of working class origin, and the non-graduates. Rayner is a rare example, and clearly political marmite (I am a fan). I do think this matters, as too many MPs come through the avenues of student politics, think tank, policy wonk, to MP. Either that or a narrow range of careers, often in financial services, giving a very one dimensional character to Parliament.
    "presence of MPs of working class origin, and the non-graduates."

What is 'working class' nowadays? IMV the distinctions are becoming very blurred. For instance, is Owen Jones 'working class' ? If so, why not Rishi Sunak?

Agree totally on non-graduates. I've wittered on about the evils of the 50% university targets in the past; but what we are seeing are increasing number of roles which are closed to non-graduates (*). This is utterly wrong and throws lots of people under the bus - the same effect as the 11+, except later in life.

(*) I am a non-graduate.
    We have a skills shortage of craftspeople and tradespeople. We don’t have a skills shortage of graduates.
    I am off to Glasgow today to see the graduation of my daughter who has got a first class honours from the Open University in her early 30s. She was not exactly a dedicated scholar in her youth but has been increasingly finding herself against a glass ceiling where every promoted post she might go for requires a degree to even apply despite her relevant experience. I am proud of her achievement but it seems a bit silly that she has had to do this.
    Congratulations to her. That's a fabulous achievement. In terms of academic rigour the OU is one of the top, if not the top, uni in the country although neither the OU or its graduates ever seem to get quite the credit it deserves for it.
    Yes - seriousness about undergraduate study, for sure. A government took a sledgehammer to the OU a while back, slashing the number of courses, hiking fees (quadrupling them or something like that), and cutting tutors' incomes in one fell swoop. There was very little resistance. It was a shame. The OU has millions of graduates, most of whom are highly appreciative of the model. Many would have been prepared to help resist the attack, I think, if a proper campaign had opposed it.

Perhaps the idea was that Whitehall didn't want intending students dodging megadebt by enrolling with the OU instead of signing up with a lecture room and campus university.

Back in the past, London University used to have great and very broad provision for external students too. Not any more.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Seems reasonable enough apart from the usual tiresomeness of vox pops. Some people of Asian descent think it's significant, some don't. Why do you find it an especially terrible piece?
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

If you believe mid term polls are valuable indicators of subsequent election outcomes. It’s a pretty big if. In my view, these polls tell us what we already know, which is that Liz Truss completely screwed up and people are not happy about it today.
    They are the indicators we have.
    The others rely on feelz.
    Strikes me there's a bit of Tory optimism that the worst is over.

ydoethur said:

Still only a fifth of previous capacity though.
    Better than nothing, though!
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, as expected:

Not since Mid August.

Their problem is that Alliance are more transfer friendly, and would likely overhaul them in East Londonderry, Newry & Armagh, Mid Ulster, and West Tyrone, on these numbers.
    Don't know if this has been exhibited this afternoon, but as it's Friday afternoon, almost time to open some French rose, and Mrs C has just pointed it out ...

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/oct/28/mondrian-painting-has-been-hanging-upside-down-for-75-years

'A painting by abstract Dutch artist Piet Mondrian has been hanging upside down in various museums since it was first put on display 75 years ago, an art historian has found, but warned it could disintegrate if it was hung the right side up now. [...]

The way the picture is currently hung shows the multicoloured lines thickening at the bottom, suggesting an extremely simplified version of a skyline. However, when curator Susanne Meyer-Büser started researching the museum’s new show on the Dutch avant garde artist earlier this year, she realised the picture should be the other way around.

“The thickening of the grid should be at the top, like a dark sky,” said Meyer-Büser. “Once I pointed it out to the other curators, we realised it was very obvious. I am 100% certain the picture is the wrong way around."'
    DJ41 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https://www.private-eye.co.uk%

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Imagine having a job where there are websites which exist solely for watching your every move, criticising everything you do, and retweeting every tiny bit of negative information about you.

I don’t have to, I had one for ten years.
    What job?
    Teaching!
    And finally: we apparently want MPs to be one of us, to 'represent' ourselves. Hence we want a certain number of female MPs, a certain number of BAME MPs, a certain number of state-educated ones. Note 'ability' does not creep into this. Yet we also want them to be 'better' than us. To be the same as us, yet better. It's an impossibility.
    Yes there is some truth to this. The diversity on the government benches is in large part due to the work that Cameron put in in the late naughties, and those now have a dozen years experience as MPs, so are front benches. Would Sunak have been selected for a safe seat a decade or so earlier?

This was helped of course by the large number of new seats won in 2010, and the unusual number of retirements from the expenses scandal fall out. Polls would suggest that there will be a massive clear out at the next GE too, with perhaps half the government benches being novice MPs. An opportunity but also a problem.

One thing that we do seem to have lost is the presence of MPs of working class origin, and the non-graduates. Rayner is a rare example, and clearly political marmite (I am a fan). I do think this matters, as too many MPs come through the avenues of student politics, think tank, policy wonk, to MP. Either that or a narrow range of careers, often in financial services, giving a very one dimensional character to Parliament.
    "presence of MPs of working class origin, and the non-graduates."

What is 'working class' nowadays? IMV the distinctions are becoming very blurred. For instance, is Owen Jones 'working class' ? If so, why not Rishi Sunak?

Agree totally on non-graduates. I've wittered on about the evils of the 50% university targets in the past; but what we are seeing are increasing number of roles which are closed to non-graduates (*). This is utterly wrong and throws lots of people under the bus - the same effect as the 11+, except later in life.

(*) I am a non-graduate.
    We have a skills shortage of craftspeople and tradespeople. We don’t have a skills shortage of graduates.
    I am off to Glasgow today to see the graduation of my daughter who has got a first class honours from the Open University in her early 30s. She was not exactly a dedicated scholar in her youth but has been increasingly finding herself against a glass ceiling where every promoted post she might go for requires a degree to even apply despite her relevant experience. I am proud of her achievement but it seems a bit silly that she has had to do this.
    Congratulations to her. That's a fabulous achievement. In terms of academic rigour the OU is one of the top, if not the top, uni in the country although neither the OU or its graduates ever seem to get quite the credit it deserves for it.
    Yes - seriousness about undergraduate study, for sure. A government took a sledgehammer to the OU a while back, slashing the number of courses, hiking fees (quadrupling them or something like that), and cutting tutors' incomes in one fell swoop. There was very little resistance. It was a shame. The OU has millions of graduates, most of whom are highly appreciative of the model. Many would have been prepared to help resist the attack, I think, if a proper campaign had opposed it.

Perhaps the idea was that Whitehall didn't want intending students dodging megadebt by enrolling with the OU instead of signing up with a lecture room and campus university.

Back in the past, London University used to have great and very broad provision for external students too. Not any more.
    Isn't that how Birkbeck started? As a college for lifelong learners working in the evenings?

I know Salford used to do something similar where all their postgrad courses were in the evenings so yuo could do them alongside a job.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Very unfortunately worded ...
    Unfortunate? It was deliberate!

@vonderburchard
    Spiegel reports that Western intelligence intercepted Russian radio messages end of last year discussing nuclear strikes against Berlin plus the Ramstein and Büchel air bases.

A first strike on Berlin makes a lot of sense, strategically
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Sigh. Why not at least leave it on the wealth part? Surely some percentage of British Asians are right wing, how could it be 'representative' if no British Asian MPs were?
    edited October 2022

Seems reasonable enough apart from the usual tiresomeness of vox pops. Some people of Asian descent think it's significant, some don't. Why do you find it an especially terrible piece?
    The premise that people from certain communities are expected to 'represent' the average community view exactly lies behind the part quoted. He doesn't hold the most common view, therefore he is 'far from representative'. It's just tiresome and nonsense.

How can any individual possibly be "representative"? The entire concept is nonsensical.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,687

They seem to have done it extremely quickly too - very good news.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,736
    dixiedean said:

Prime Minister Ed Miliband had a 20% lead, as I recall.....
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,875
    edited October 2022
    Afternoon all.

Cycle Lane of the Season. This was in Manchester in 2020.

kle4 said:

Sigh. Why not at least leave it on the wealth part? Surely some percentage of British Asians are right wing, how could it be 'representative' if no British Asian MPs were?
    I think it's very representative of his community tbh.
    MattW said:

Afternoon all.

So when you go cycling in Manchester, the idea is you turn over an old leaf?
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,870
    I said a few days ago, Johnson's time is over. He is yesterday's man.

That he couldn't himself see this is strange...
    His final, only chance at a return was last weekend.
    Now its gone and he won't be allowed to run again.

I suspect he will see out this Parliament, just like Brown did (ie, by not bothering to attend nor do any Constituency work - his Conservative successor will not thank him for this as it will make retaining his seat a near impossibility) and then swan off to retirement and the after dinner circuit.

The country is better off he's done and gone.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126
    Leon said:

@vonderburchard

A first strike on Berlin makes very little sense given Germany does not possess nuclear weapons, and those US nuclear weapons it hosts are not in Berlin.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    A minor point about terminology: In the US, when people say "Asians", they almost always mean East Asians; Chines, Japanese, and Koreans, rather than South Asians: Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis. So when I am reading news from the UK about "Asians", I always have to adjust my mental images.

(People from Southeast Asia usually get referred to by their national origim, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, et cetera.)
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,870
    Leon said:

@vonderburchard

If by 'lot of sense' you mean wanting to end the world in nuclear fire, then yes, I suppose so.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    I think the government needs to revisit the cap price as it is distorting the market at the moment. With the news that the main gas storage site has reopened it's time to ease price controls.
    My prediction for Twitter is Musk takes actions that results in the EU and US revisiting social media regulation and he gets bored and irritated with dealing with that so goes back to playing Kerbal Space Program for reals, and tries to offload the company in a year or two.

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1585990346412023815
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, as expected:

Not since Mid August.

Their problem is that Alliance are more transfer friendly, and would likely overhaul them in East Londonderry, Newry & Armagh, Mid Ulster, and West Tyrone, on these numbers.

dixiedean said:

For how long?
    And was that the maximum?
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Afternoon all.

So when you go cycling in Manchester, the idea is you turn over an old leaf?
    They've really rolled out the dead carpet.
  • novanova Posts: 672
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Clearly politics has had some huge events over the past few years which messed up the concept of what a midterm is, but as far as I can see they are certainly indicators for the next election.

They are not predictors, or an accurate representation of what will happen on election day, but if you're planning on betting on what happens at the next election, then current polling is the most valuable indicator we have.
  • novanova Posts: 672

dixiedean said:

Miliband had a lead just over 10% for a while, but nothing much more for any length of time. Two years out from the election is was already dropping, and there wasn't any major event that would have caused a total loss of confidence in Cameron/Osborne.
    MaxPB said:

I think the government needs to revisit the cap price as it is distorting the market at the moment. With the news that the main gas storage site has reopened it's time to ease price controls.

I now believe that energy subsidy should be banded, with a heavily subsidised band, like the tax-free allowance, for very low power use, and decreasingly subsidised bands thereafter. It is silly to subsidise heating people's swimming pools and things, when heavily subsidising power for old ladies too scared to put their heating on would be kinder, and cheaper. The Governments losses on the scheme would be capped.
  • DWP letters about the £500 fuel payment for oldies are landing on doormats across the nation, and might be reflected in the polls.
    edited October 2022
    Definitely going to be a wild ride.

Despite agreeing with nearly all of the Elon Twitter criticism, I can't help feeling that the biggest problem in all of this is that we are expecting a private company to hold the former President to account while the American criminal justice system continually fails to.

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1585982156634849281?cxt=HHwWgoCgpcuXxYIsAAAA
    Of course she will!

BREAKING: The Scottish Government has confirmed that Nicola Sturgeon intends to attend COP27 after Rishi Sunak pulled out of the climate summit.

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1586018636011126787

I’m not sure you can “pull out” of something you haven’t said you’d attend…..

She’ll probably repeat her lie about Scottish renewables…

https://fullfact.org/environment/scotland-renewable-energy/
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126
    MattW said:

Afternoon all.

They Autumn to do something about that, before someone takes a Fall.
    nova said:

dixiedean said:

Miliband had a lead just over 10% for a while, but nothing much more for any length of time. Two years out from the election is was already dropping, and there wasn't any major event that would have caused a total loss of confidence in Cameron/Osborne.
    I can't find an Ed Miliband lead above 16%.
    And that wasn't the average at all at any point.

DWP letters about the £500 fuel payment for oldies are landing on doormats across the nation, and might be reflected in the polls.

The next £325 COL payment for UC claimants is due next month too. (Actually, IIRC they split it £326/£324. I don't know why.)
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    Leon said:

@vonderburchard

Should I start saying my goodbyes then?

My prediction for Twitter is Musk takes actions that results in the EU and US revisiting social media regulation and he gets bored and irritated with dealing with that so goes back to playing Kerbal Space Program for reals, and tries to offload the company in a year or two.

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1585990346412023815

He's definitely going to face a lot of very strong opposition, so let's hope he is adopts a more cunning approach to overturning the globalist consensus than Liz Truss did.
    edited October 2022
    MattW said:

Afternoon all.

Easily resolved: just push it over towards the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIpqfIXzKkQ

This discussion has been closed.