Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By election betting – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited November 2022 in General
imageBy election betting – politicalbetting.com

This betting opportunity from Smarkets on a by election in Boris Johnson’s seat is intriguing. This isn’t a bet on the outcome of such a by election but whether there will be one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Hello, I must be going!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323
    edited October 2022
    First, like Zimbabwe.

edit: rats. Beaten by Bev.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323
    edited October 2022
    And second, like Pakistan.

Rats again. :(
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Looks like control of the Senate will come down to the race in Georgia.

Current 538 prediction:

Dem 49.5%
    GOP 48.9%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/senate/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Is there a market on Chester yet?

Should be the easiest of easy holds for Labour, but the Tory share will be interesting given it was a swing seat not that long ago.
  • Options

And second, like Pakistan.

And third as well, like England will be in their group if they don't bat rather better in their remaining matches.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    ydoethur said:

Should be the easiest of easy holds for Labour, but the Tory share will be interesting given it was a swing seat not that long ago.

I'm just wondering whether it might be worth putting a small bet on the LibDems in the City of Chester by-election. It's the sort of place where they have the potential to do better than expected.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

“The Daily Show” giving the NYT a run for its money on “bad takes on the U.K.”

Unpacking the backlash against new UK PM Rishi Sunak

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1585240576537944065

Is Trevor Noah as ignorant as he projects?

"England's first Prime Minister" in the first 5 seconds. Duh.
    It's not as if nobody in the UK ever does this. I've lost count of the times that I've heard English people refer to the UK as "England".
    It has to be admitted that members of the Scottish Government party love referring to the UK Govt as "English" :smile: .
    Can you give some examples of that?
    And excluding those cases which are (accurately) discussing their UKG responsibilities as English.
    Like comparitive performance in the devolved health services for example?
    Though posting stuff like this can lead to whiny complaints of rayzism against the English.

I’m shocked that BBC Scotland hasn’t reported those numbers. They are usually so keen on promoting Scottish success stories.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,996
    ydoethur said:

I'd think with both this and the upcoming West Lancs by election the Tories will consider over 30% 'holding their own' and sub 25% 'trouble at mill'
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

I'm just wondering whether it might be worth putting a small bet on the LibDems in the City of Chester by-election. It's the sort of place where they have the potential to do better than expected.
    I would advise against it.

So it's probably an excellent idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

No. 20% under Kennedy 2005 and 2010 Cleggmania and running againat a Labour party on 50% plus. They lost deposit in 2017
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I'd think with both this and the upcoming West Lancs by election the Tories will consider over 30% 'holding their own' and sub 25% 'trouble at mill'
    If they stop at sub 25% in West Lancs I think they would count that a colossal win! Sub 15% would look more like it.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    ydoethur said:

By election on December 1st
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting thought. They did manage a 21.9% share of the vote in 2005, not a million miles from turning the seat into a three-way marginal.

My assumption had been that the Lib Dems would have been working very hard preparing the ground for by-elections in the constituencies held by the soon-to-be Lordships from Johnson's resignation honours, and so wouldn't want to spread themselves too thinly.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If they stop at sub 25% in West Lancs I think they would count that a colossal win! Sub 15% would look more like it.
    15% would be half their 1997 vote here, there is no appreciable LD presence, sub 25% would be doing much worse than their worst performance ever in the seat. Sub 15 would be catastrophic and mean Lab likely retain the seat on ca 70% of the vote
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

15% would be half their 1997 vote, there is no appreciable LD presence, sub 25% would be doing much worse than their worst performance ever in the seat. Sub 15 would be catastrophic and mean Lab likely retain the seat on ca 70% of the vote
    Like I say...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

w/o Labour market perhaps.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Hello, I must be going!

No Jacket Required.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

I can't see it; though it feels the sort of place that should have an LD tradition it doesn't.

However the LDs were front runners in a few seats recently where they had been third. (Owen Paterson's especially). ASnd of course the Labour MP has been forced out in bad circumstances.

Worth a nibble at the right price. But SFAICS the dynamics have shifted and the world is now a Lab v Con contest between two heavyweights, with the LDs as onlookers.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

It's not as if nobody in the UK ever does this. I've lost count of the times that I've heard English people refer to the UK as "England".
    It has to be admitted that members of the Scottish Government party love referring to the UK Govt as "English" :smile: .
    And excluding those cases which are (accurately) discussing their UKG responsibilities as English.
    Though posting stuff like this can lead to whiny complaints of rayzism against the English.

I’m shocked that BBC Scotland hasn’t reported those numbers. They are usually so keen on promoting Scottish success stories.
    Has anybody heard from Jackie Baillie yet?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

15% would be half their 1997 vote, there is no appreciable LD presence, sub 25% would be doing much worse than their worst performance ever in the seat. Sub 15 would be catastrophic and mean Lab likely retain the seat on ca 70% of the vote
    Like I say...
    Based on what? 15% would be underperforming their rock bottom Truss polling. Local by elections, the slight recovery seen so far under Sunak etc simply don't suggest a total collapse. They will be the opposition in this one, the stop labour vote such as it is goes to them.
    25% is poor enough without fantasy meltdowns
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

I can't see it; though it feels the sort of place that should have an LD tradition it doesn't.

However the LDs were front runners in a few seats recently where they had been third. (Owen Paterson's especially). ASnd of course the Labour MP has been forced out in bad circumstances.

Worth a nibble at the right price. But SFAICS the dynamics have shifted and the world is now a Lab v Con contest between two heavyweights, with the LDs as onlookers.
    It's not far from Oswestry either, although it's a very different sort of seat.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited October 2022
    Now Modi:

Thank you Prime Minister @NarendraModi
    for your kind words as I get started in my new role.

The UK and India share so much. I'm excited about what our two great democracies can achieve as we deepen our security, defence and economic partnership in the months & years ahead.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1585645864261156870

Glad to speak to
    @RishiSunak today. Congratulated him on assuming charge as UK PM. We will work together to further strengthen our Comprehensive Strategic Partnership. We also agreed on the importance of early conclusion of a comprehensive and balanced FTA.

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1585643229034483712
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,703
    Are there any markets on the new Stormont election now expected in December?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Like I say...
    Based on what? 15% would be underperforming their rock bottom Truss polling. Local by elections, the slight recovery seen so far under Sunak etc simply don't suggest a total collapse. They will be the opposition in this one, the stop labour vote such as it is goes to them.
    We will see. My instinct is that the Tories will do if anything slightly worse than their polling in both of these seats because they can be represented as a free hit against the government. But my instinct is of course usually as sound as a DfE policy made up after lunch.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

LD by election successes are almost exclusively protest successes. There is nothing to protest here, the opposition are already in pole position. LD lost deposit a better bet imo.
  • Options
    Apparently, the name Keir means dark or swarthy from Scottish Gaelic 'ciar'

The word keir (also spelt kier) means a bleaching vat, from Old Norse 'ker'

Was Sir Keir dipped in a keir?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Like I say...
    We will see. My instinct is that the Tories will do if anything slightly worse than their polling in both of these seats because they can be represented as a free hit against the government. But my instinct is of course usually as sound as a DfE policy made up after lunch.
    Chester might be more challenging as it ceases to be a seat after review and thus they are apparently struggling to find someone local to be a crash test dummy
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Early NV data:

https://twitter.com/bazingab00/status/1585628209294581760/photo/1

I think all you can glean from this is that it's going to be tight.

Statewide Dem registered voter number advantage doesn't look high enough for me based on September figures. Once the October figures are out I will make my final pronouncement.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

For those following the USS (pre-92 universities) pension scandal...

https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/12587/Lost-USS-pension-benefits-can-be-returned-and-backdated-trustee-data-confirms?utm

"the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) trustee has released new information which shows the scheme is in such a healthy position that those lost benefits could be paid back, backdated to April - and still leave the scheme in surplus."

What happens exactly, when someone’s nose starts to extend faster than the speed of light?

Asking for an academic friend.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,516
    Off topic, but congratulations are in order to the Kent Wildlife Trust on the birth of their new baby: "[Tom] Gibbs discovered that Female 2’s days-long departure from the herd was actually the best-case scenario: She had secluded herself to give birth to the first wild bison born in Britain in more than six millennia."
    source$:https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/10/27/baby-bison-uk-rewilding-wildlife/

The first in more than 6,000 years deserves some notice.

The calf appears to be doing well, judging by the article and the pictures in it.
  • Options
    First PM Sunak poll, by YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples:

London
    Lab 64%
    Con 16%
    LD 9%
    Ref 7%
    Grn 4%

Rest of South
    Lab 46%
    Con 29%
    LD 14%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 4%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 53%
    Con 25%
    Ref 6%
    LD 6%
    PC 5%
    Grn 3%

North
    Lab 60%
    Con 20%
    Ref 8%
    LD 6%
    Grn 4%

Scotland
    SNP 46%
    Lab 25%
    Con 19%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%

(YouGov / The Times; Sample Size: 1646; Fieldwork: 25-26 October 2022)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

For those following the USS (pre-92 universities) pension scandal...

https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/12587/Lost-USS-pension-benefits-can-be-returned-and-backdated-trustee-data-confirms?utm

"the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) trustee has released new information which shows the scheme is in such a healthy position that those lost benefits could be paid back, backdated to April - and still leave the scheme in surplus."

Nice - so my extra payments weren't so crucial after all...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

The police don’t know who this male accused of exposing his penis to two teenagers is, so they have no idea of his preferred pronouns. Yet they err on side of caution to avoid offending him over clear language to assist in identifying a male sex offender. See the problem?

https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1585619374450278401

"There is no evidence that predatory and abusive men have ever had to pretend to be anything else to carry out abusive and predatory behaviour."

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1585621551545782274

FPT: how do you know what genitalia the person had? Where does the willy come (no pun intended) into the tweet?
  • Options
    Just a Tory member of the House of Lords calling the RSPB lying turds.

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1585594129874128897?s=46&t=g0hOX_7juKJm38OTfiMcAA

Attacking the RSPB is unwise.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

Now Modi:

The UK and India share so much. I'm excited about what our two great democracies can achieve as we deepen our security, defence and economic partnership in the months & years ahead.

Glad to speak to
    @RishiSunak today. Congratulated him on assuming charge as UK PM. We will work together to further strengthen our Comprehensive Strategic Partnership. We also agreed on the importance of early conclusion of a comprehensive and balanced FTA.

Sunak needs to tell Modi to get his act together wrt Russia.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The police don’t know who this male accused of exposing his penis to two teenagers is, so they have no idea of his preferred pronouns. Yet they err on side of caution to avoid offending him over clear language to assist in identifying a male sex offender. See the problem?

"There is no evidence that predatory and abusive men have ever had to pretend to be anything else to carry out abusive and predatory behaviour."

FPT: how do you know what genitalia the person had? Where does the willy come (no pun intended) into the tweet?
    What odds do you want that it was a snatch flash and rub?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Especially as it's totally controlled by the SNP if you believe some folk on here.
  • Options

First PM Sunak poll, by YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples:

London
    Lab 64%
    Con 16%
    LD 9%
    Ref 7%
    Grn 4%

Rest of South
    Lab 46%
    Con 29%
    LD 14%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 4%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 53%
    Con 25%
    Ref 6%
    LD 6%
    PC 5%
    Grn 3%

North
    Lab 60%
    Con 20%
    Ref 8%
    LD 6%
    Grn 4%

Scotland
    SNP 46%
    Lab 25%
    Con 19%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%

I really have to say why would anyone expect much movement in the polls a couple of days after Rishi became PM and especially before the November 17th statement

Indeed I have maintained all along the polls next April and May will be a better test of just how he and the conservative party is performing
  • Options

Now Modi:

Glad to speak to

Sunak needs to tell Modi to get his act together wrt Russia.
    I think the days of British Prime Ministers telling Indian leaders what to do are behind us…
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,902
    edited October 2022

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1585594129874128897?s=46&t=g0hOX_7juKJm38OTfiMcAA

Unwise, yes. But the outrage originally appeared to be about something that hadn't actually happened.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

Carnyx said:

No idea, but this was in a railway station by the sound of it, so not a sex segregated space, and merits police investigation whatever the genitalia surely?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Andy_JS said:

Current 538 prediction:

Dem 49.5%
    GOP 48.9%

If the polls are right... then (yes) it all comes down to Georgia*.

But I have a sneaking suspicion the polls will not be right. I suspect they will - in most every race - be wrong by 3-4 points. And that the direction of wrong will be fairly uniform, and therefore either the Republicans will outperform by 3-4 points, or the Democrats will.

I therefore think that the Republicans will either hold PA, and win GA, AZ and NV. (And maybe even CO too. Although NH is probably a bit of a stretch.)

Or the Dems will hold GA, AZ, CO, NV, and win PA, and quite possibly NC and WI too. With OH being an unlikely but not impossible ask

It is also far from impossible that McMullin wins in Utah. Deseret News has seen Lee's lead come down by a point every week, and had him at just four points ahead. And the most recent polls - from Hill Research - even showed McMullin leading by 8 points.

* Do remember that - in Georgia - if you fail to get 50%, there's a run-off election. And that there is a Libertarian candidate who will likely get 3% of the vote. If the polls are right, then a run-off is highly likely.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Just rhyming slang, surely?
  • Options

London
    Lab 64%
    Con 16%
    LD 9%
    Ref 7%
    Grn 4%

Rest of South
    Lab 46%
    Con 29%
    LD 14%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 4%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 53%
    Con 25%
    Ref 6%
    LD 6%
    PC 5%
    Grn 3%

North
    Lab 60%
    Con 20%
    Ref 8%
    LD 6%
    Grn 4%

Scotland
    SNP 46%
    Lab 25%
    Con 19%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%

I really have to say why would anyone expect much movement in the polls a couple of days after Rishi became PM and especially before the November 17th statement

Indeed I have maintained all along the polls next April and May will be a better test of just how he and the conservative party is performing
    I concur. But a starving man must eat! 😉
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

While US commentators discuss the “backlash” against Sunak, a reminder from history:

The Battle of Bamber Bridge, 1943.

Racist US military police attacked black US troops on British soil.

US military authorities demanded the town’s pubs impose a colour bar, the local landlords responded with signs that read “Black Troops Only” which pissed them off.

A THREAD

https://twitter.com/AfricanArchives/status/1585360676826251264

The same happened in Newton Abbot, Devon.
  • Options

London
    Lab 64%
    Con 16%
    LD 9%
    Ref 7%
    Grn 4%

Rest of South
    Lab 46%
    Con 29%
    LD 14%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 4%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 53%
    Con 25%
    Ref 6%
    LD 6%
    PC 5%
    Grn 3%

North
    Lab 60%
    Con 20%
    Ref 8%
    LD 6%
    Grn 4%

Scotland
    SNP 46%
    Lab 25%
    Con 19%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%

The twitterati seem to think a new leader 'bounce' is just what the first poll says. They are not wise.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

No idea, but this was in a railway station by the sound of it, so not a sex segregated space, and merits police investigation whatever the genitalia surely?
    Sure, but I’ll give anyone who wants it 100/1 on it being a vagina that was exposed and masturbated
  • Options
    edited October 2022

While US commentators discuss the “backlash” against Sunak, a reminder from history:

US military authorities demanded the town’s pubs impose a colour bar, the local landlords responded with signs that read “Black Troops Only” which pissed them off.

A THREAD

The same happened in Newton Abbot, Devon.
    My dad remembered hearing (during his naval training in Plymouth in WW2) about two black GIs getting unruly in a pub and being shot dead by white MPs (US kind, not RN shore patrol). Caused deep offence locally both among the natives and the RN in the port.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Rishi too busy to attend COP27.

Does that mean Charles can go instead now?
  • Options
    Rowing back?

Update: Putin: We do not need a nuclear strike on Ukraine and it is useless, either militarily or politically.

https://twitter.com/EndGameWW3/status/1585656808278032385

He also said he wouldn’t invade….
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Quite; just wondering why Carlotta was so sure, especially given the dress (which shifts the sex/gender odds somewhat).
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Unwise, yes. But the outrage originally appeared to be about something that hadn't actually happened.
    Surely not?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

LOL. Fair point, but I will bet you any sum you like£10 to £100,000, at evens that the answer is penis. Seems fair, as there's two possibilities. Wanna bet on fanny?

mandy rhodes
    @holyroodmandy

Not, for instance, a policeman carrying out his duty? Not a taxi driver? Not a singing coach? Not a friend of your parents come to pick you up?

This is just frighteningly mad.

• Options

Rishi too busy to attend COP27.

Does that mean Charles can go instead now?

If they were serious about practicing what they preach it should all be online anyway. But that would miss out on first class plane travel and 6 star hotels wouldnt it?
  • Options

It hasn't happened only because the Tories fell over their own clown shoes, to be fair. Things still have to be sorted out.
  • Options

A THREAD

I've been reading Sand & Steel, which is an American history of D-Day, and it contained a surprising amount about the Battle of Bamber Bridge.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Quite; just wondering why Carlotta was so sure, especially given the dress (which shifts the sex/gender odds somewhat).
    Pretty sure that clothing-stereotyping you did there will get you called a transphobe.

That person was not assigned female at birth.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

LOL. Fair point, but I will bet you any sum you like£10 to £100,000, at evens that the answer is penis. Seems fair, as there's two possibilities. Wanna bet on fanny?

mandy rhodes
    @holyroodmandy

Not, for instance, a policeman carrying out his duty? Not a taxi driver? Not a singing coach? Not a friend of your parents come to pick you up?

The "anything else" means "a woman", I think. Makes no sense otherwise, agree or not.
  • Options
    Some amazing breaks in that YouGov:

- Labour ahead among the elderly (65+): Lab 40%, Con 34%, Ref 10%, LD 9%

- Only 8% (!!) of young voters (18-24) are intending to vote Conservative

- Labour, SNP and Greens doing well among women, while the Tories and Reform are doing proportionally better among men

- Scottish voters have a much higher propensity to actually cast their vote (10/10 likelihood): 65% compared to about 56% in England and Wales

- Women more likely to vote than men: 59% to 54%

- The Liberal Democrats have mind-bogglingly poor voter retention: only 43% of 2019 LD voters are intending to cast their next vote on the same party (cf Lab 90% and Con 60%).
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Sure, but I’ll give anyone who wants it 100/1 on it being a vagina that was exposed and masturbated
    Are there more videos on-line of men masturbating, or women?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Pretty sure that clothing-stereotyping you did there will get you called a transphobe.

The
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

mandy rhodes
    @holyroodmandy

Bet is no good as (a) not really the sort of thing I like to bet on (honestly), and (b) there is a whole spectrum of answers, admittedly some less likely than others, so we could be both wrong ...

And as for the other thing, I think 'else' refers to 'men' tbf. The 'predatory and abusive' carries forward.
  • Options

Something that is announced in a government budget, by a party with a majority of 80, can reasonably be assumed will be implemented.

Except that the Tories only have a majority on paper. In reality they are a barely functioning coalition of about 12 factions.
  • Options

- Labour, SNP and Greens doing well among women, while the Tories and Reform are doing proportionally better among men

- Scottish voters have a much higher propensity to actually cast their vote (10/10 likelihood): 65% compared to about 56% in England and Wales

- The Liberal Democrats have mind-bogglingly poor voter retention: only 43% of 2019 LD voters are intending to cast their next vote on the same party (cf Lab 90% and Con 60%).

Con lead amongst over 65 by 40 to 34
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Not stereotyping, just generally observed possibilities: as it's not a kilt, and we are not at the Edinburgh Tattoo ... I did say odds!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Especially as it's totally controlled by the SNP if you believe some folk on here.
    The BritNats lie principally to themselves. They fool no one.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,902
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

It hasn't happened only because the Tories fell over their own clown shoes, to be fair. Things still have to be sorted out.
    I'll be the first one protesting if they intend to dig up SSSIs.

As I understood it, though, there was a list of places that could potentially apply for a change in planning law (although the nature of that change hadn't been decided), and although no actual boundaries had been drawn, some of those named places could potentially have included designated sites.

It wasn't really worth the full on outrage.

I await any actual proposals.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

IMO, the Conservatives will recover quite quickly to about 30% or thereabouts, but that still leaves them a long way behind Labour.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Current 538 prediction:

Dem 49.5%
    GOP 48.9%

But I have a sneaking suspicion the polls will not be right. I suspect they will - in most every race - be wrong by 3-4 points. And that the direction of wrong will be fairly uniform, and therefore either the Republicans will outperform by 3-4 points, or the Democrats will.

I therefore think that the Republicans will either hold PA, and win GA, AZ and NV. (And maybe even CO too. Although NH is probably a bit of a stretch.)

Or the Dems will hold GA, AZ, CO, NV, and win PA, and quite possibly NC and WI too. With OH being an unlikely but not impossible ask

It is also far from impossible that McMullin wins in Utah. Deseret News has seen Lee's lead come down by a point every week, and had him at just four points ahead. And the most recent polls - from Hill Research - even showed McMullin leading by 8 points.

* Do remember that - in Georgia - if you fail to get 50%, there's a run-off election. And that there is a Libertarian candidate who will likely get 3% of the vote. If the polls are right, then a run-off is highly likely.
    C'mon though - which way do you reckon they'll be out? Any inkling?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Need to do a bit of research on that. Back later.

Much later.
    I'm glad someone else is doing the research, as I honestly have no idea.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Are there more arrests/charges of men exposing themselves and masturbating, or women?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I'll be the first one protesting if they intend to dig up SSSIs.

As I understood it, though, there was a list of places that could potentially apply for a change in planning law (although the nature of that change hadn't been decided), and although no actual boundaries had been drawn, some of those named places could potentially have included designated sites.

It wasn't really worth the full on outrage.

I await any actual proposals.
    I think it was more the general threat to the planning system that got people worried. Once the law is changed it's too late, particularly with the majority they had and the mentality exhibited.

And it's not just SSSIs that are the question. There are NNRs, AONB, NPs, and generally not having some numpty frack (or whatever) your local wood and them go bankrupt.
  • Options

Whoops! Sorry. Thanks for catching that. Misread the numbers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Would the police even investigate if it was a vagina?
  • Options
    Does anyone want odds on whether the teenagers were boys or girls?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Oh, I think they would. Equal opps. And recent prosecutions, e.g. of female teachers.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Are there more arrests/charges of men exposing themselves and masturbating, or women?
    I was not being serious.
  • Options

Please: can you be a little more specific?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    Drive done. That's another off the bucket list. It didn't feel complete after the first attempt. Got my instructor score in the Porsche up from 49% to 75% and I bought a lot of extra laps in the Sports 2000.

Lots of incidents because it was damp. Someone put their car in the armco. Lots of yellow flags during the session (none last time) and someone spun in front of me going onto the grass and then back onto the track and stopping sideways on in front of me. Seemed to take me ages to react as it was so unexpected.

There are strict instructions where not to overtake (we weren't racing) and one is obviously the Chicane. So it came as a surprise to be overtaken by a saloon car as I was going through the Chicane which then slide nicely around the end of chicane. I was taken aback and then saw the name on the rear window. It was Tiff Needell taking people out on a 'scare the willies out of you' lap. I noticed in the restaurant that he took 5 sugars with his tea/coffee. Obviously that is what you need to do.

OK everyone what do I now add to the bucket list. Done the Pitts Special, done the racing car, I'm too old now for the catamarans and black runs. I need another challenge and I don't want to sky dive (heights, yuck).
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Current 538 prediction:

Dem 49.5%
    GOP 48.9%

It's not looking good for the Democrats if the latest polls are right. However, early turnout seems to be up, sometimes way up and that should favour them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwsxaYGJgyM
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

This guy would: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/met-police-officer-rape-sexual-assault-b2149966.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

I was not being serious.
    Glad to have that confirmed!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

According to the local news they were two girls aged 15 and 16.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IMO, the Conservatives will recover quite quickly to about 30% or thereabouts, but that still leaves them a long way behind Labour.
    If the Tories are only about 30% in England and low teens in Scotland by next May then the pressure on Sunak will be immense. The cracks will begin to show.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Rather more closely, in at least one sense.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Drive done. That's another off the bucket list. It didn't feel complete after the first attempt. Got my instructor score in the Porsche up from 49% to 75% and I bought a lot of extra laps in the Sports 2000.

Lots of incidents because it was damp. Someone put their car in the armco. Lots of yellow flags during the session (none last time) and someone spun in front of me going onto the grass and then back onto the track and stopping sideways on in front of me. Seemed to take me ages to react as it was so unexpected.

There are strict instructions where not to overtake (we weren't racing) and one is obviously the Chicane. So it came as a surprise to be overtaken by a saloon car as I was going through the Chicane which then slide nicely around the end of chicane. I was taken aback and then saw the name on the rear window. It was Tiff Needell taking people out on a 'scare the willies out of you' lap. I noticed in the restaurant that he took 5 sugars with his tea/coffee. Obviously that is what you need to do.

OK everyone what do I now add to the bucket list. Done the Pitts Special, done the racing car, I'm too old now for the catamarans and black runs. I need another challenge and I don't want to sky dive (heights, yuck).

Is your bucket list all action man stuff?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Now, now. Action Person.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Bet he's never got a first on PB.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Please: can you be a little more specific?
    "they" exposed their genitals to teenagers, according to the Berkshire police tweet

If I'm right that it was penis exposure, it'd take a brave "woman" to flash "her" cock and balls at teenage boys
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Not really directly related, but ... during lockdown a dominatrix acquaintance of mine got bored and took to visiting the local park wearing a long leather coat an not much more. If she spotted someone she liked the look of, would give them a little flash of leg or boob. If they seemed interested she'd sit with them while .. urm.... 'giving herself a special tickle'.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Now, now. Action Person.
    kjh is ALL man.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Nope. Food plays a significant part. I am a foodie. I also scare easily so I do need to pluck up courage for some of this stuff. Many years ago I skied the Tortin and I stood at the top of it for ages before launching off.

The adrenalin is still pumping today and it did for ages after I skied that run. But it has to be done.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,207
    kjh said:

Maybe vote CON? 👍
  • Options
    No real bounce from Redfield yet

Labour leads by 32%.

Westminster Voting Intention (25-26 October):
    Labour 55% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (-2)
    Green 5% (+1)
    Reform UK 4% (–)
    Scottish National Party 4% (+1)
    Other 1% (-1)
    Changes +/- 23 October
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63403823

“Many skip work over hygiene poverty shame, charity says”

The way this is written - and the comments of the people/charities featured - are just absurd. Soap, basic toothpaste, unbranded shampoo and basic sanitary products are extremely cheap.

These people need their heads screwing on. They’re taking the piss out of the good Samaritans and bbc journos. Stories like this keep the daily mail in business.

“Struggling to make ends meet” stories are important, when reflecting genuine reality, but this reframing as “X poverty” is getting ever more absurd.

Skipping work, because you’re too poor is the most basic logic fail of all. Journos need to call people out on it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Nope. Food plays a significant part. I am a foodie.
    Arbroath smokie; baby gannet; North Ronaldsay sheep; samphire ...
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Not really directly related, but ... during lockdown a dominatrix acquaintance of mine got bored and took to visiting the local park wearing a long leather coat an not much more. If she spotted someone she liked the look of, would give them a little flash of leg or boob. If they seemed interested she'd sit with them while .. urm.... 'giving herself a special tickle'.

i would think dominatrix's would rather like lockdowns not get bored with them
This discussion has been closed.