Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so Day 44 of Truss’s premiership continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    12m
    Truss government collapsing around her. She’s U-turned on nearly every major economic policy. Now lost control of economy policy. Lost her Chancellor, Home Secretary now Chief Whip. Replaced by non-Trussites. It’s over. Time for cabinet/senior Tory MPs to tell her, quickly, now.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Roger said:

If anyone wanted to predict this shambles they should have read Alan Duncan's book. He said everything Johnson touched would turn to shit and he would be a complete disaster as PM and take the party down with him

Predicted by many who knew Boris.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971

Pulpstar said:

Arizona GOP candidate who said he wanted “our children protected [from] the progressive left" was arrested for masturbating outside of a preschool

“I’m sorry. I fucked up. I’m really stressed.”

Officials say it's too late to remove him from the ballot

"I'm really stressed"

That old chestnut.
    I’ve been really stressed before. From memory, at no point did I feel the need to relieve the stress by masturbating outside a preschool.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Our unwritten constitution is being painfully exposed imo

Every time we have a crisis people blame our 'unwritten' constitution. It is rarely true, in fact last time we had a crisis like this during the Brexit wars the problem was about things that were very much written, but written poorly.

Codification would not solve a problem of deep political dysfunction, the dysfunction would just manifest in different ways. It might solve other problems, but not one like this.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Sterling has had another bad day too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cx250jmk4e7t/pound-sterling-gbp

Argh.
  • Options
    We need the 25th amendment in this country.

She's nuts and it is now dangerous at a time of war.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139
    There is an adage that "Westminster stuff" never cuts through. I think we may be seeing the rule-proving exception.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

Heathener said:

The trouble is that short of an uprising from the people there's no mechanism for getting us a General Election.

Labour should just keep calling confidence motions as often as they are allowed to. Even if they keep losing them. Confidence in the government should be tested as often as practical at the moment. Is there a protocol on how often you can do it?
    No.
    Thatcher used to use it liberally.
  • Options

Please don’t tell me who shot JR.
    Watching the full series is on my bucket list.

Would it be ok to tell you, who Larry Hagman's mother was?

No fair going to wiki - this query is for the true Dallas fans out there, plus the geezers!

EDIT - And, anyway, think deep down, in the darkness within the human soul, we ALL killed JR.
    Wasn't it Maggie Simpson who shot JR?
    Shame on you - Gardenwalker said no spoilers!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Hahahaha. Kwarteng and WENDY MORTON THE OUTGOING CHIEF WHIP FFS didn’t vote with the Government on fracking.

Omnishambles is far too mild.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Anyway. Fuck it. Cheers

Ah, the delightfully named ‘rimming sugar’ making an appearance.

Enjoy your drink and view.
    Is that what the call "salt" at your local?
  • Options

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m
    Liz Truss ashen faced in the lobby.

Tory MPs shouted “it’s a disgrace” and “it’s a shambles” as they went into vote

Liz said nothing.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

There is an adage that "Westminster stuff" never cuts through. I think we may be seeing the rule-proving exception.

They could be testing single figures on polling by weekend.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    kle4 said:

Every time we have a crisis people blame our 'unwritten' constitution. It is rarely true, in fact last time we had a crisis like this during the Brexit wars the problem was about things that were very much written, but written poorly.

Codification would not solve a problem of deep political dysfunction, the dysfunction would just manifest in different ways. It might solve other problems, but not one like this.
    How else can we remove a government or PM
    That has quite clearly lost control? We can’t. We’re reliant on MPs to put their jobs on the line for their principles
  • Options
    A platform we can all support, I'm sure:

Craig Whittaker has just come out of the lobby and said" I am fucking furious and I don’t give a fuck anymore”.'

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1582800202318368768
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Hahahaha. Kwarteng and WENDY MORTON THE OUTGOING CHIEF WHIP FFS didn’t vote with the Government on fracking.

Omnishambles is far too mild.

What on Earth excuse does Kwarteng have?
    Please, please, these people belong in an asylum.
  • Options
    Heathener said:
    Dropped from Chelsea today but there are a lot of games in succession, probably just rested.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177
    OllyT said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyway. Fuck it. Cheers

The chief whip got your message.
    Leon said:

Anyway. Fuck it. Cheers

Seriously, don't you have an instagram or facebook account you could post your holiday snaps on?
    His stalker does it for him.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

While we wait, this is o/t but nice light relief - scientists looking for missing rocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/19/rock-project-missing-midlands-birmingham-boulders

Oddly enough, we've been looking for one or two alleged erratics in the Flatlands too.

They are mentioned in various historic documents but seem to have gone AWOL.
    Was wondering if anyone would read it - let alone have such a substantive comment!
    There's always someone interested in any given esoteric subject, it seems.

If anyone knows there whereabouts of some large rocks found near the village of Wroot, Lincolnshire - possibly the furthest extent of the last British ice sheet - I'd be most obliged.

They are part of the folklore but seem to have disappeared. Same state as the Tories will be in shortly.
  • Options

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

I presume as they went in to vote for fracking?
    In which case there is a certain irony to their plaintive cries.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    12m
    Truss government collapsing around her. She’s U-turned on nearly every major economic policy. Now lost control of economy policy. Lost her Chancellor, Home Secretary now Chief Whip. Replaced by non-Trussites. It’s over. Time for cabinet/senior Tory MPs to tell her, quickly, now.

It's the Tory party that's the problem.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited October 2022

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

The moderates need to take their party back. And then expel the ERG/Spartans, force them to form a new party.
    Its the only way we get a functioning opposition AND a populist right wing option
  • Options

Good outcome. Confused about the reports of physical intimidation?

Years ago an over-eager Tory whip kicked the Belgian ambassador in the ass during a tense HoC division.

That was BEFORE the lower standards pioneered by Boris Johnson & Co.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited October 2022
    Roger said:

If anyone wanted to predict this shambles they should have read Alan Duncan's book. He said everything Johnson touched would turn to shit and he would be a complete disaster as PM and take the party down with him

Well Duncan was wrong in that as Johnson won the biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher after May left a hung parliament, got Brexit completed and oversaw the
    roll out of the vaccines.

Only since Boris was removed has the party descended into the current chaos and huge Labour lead
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,799
    If I hear coalition of chaos accusations from Tory MPs against Labour at the next election I might just lose it !
  • Options
    How did Truss win with 96 majority on fracking?
  • Options

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

The moderates need to take their party back. And then expel the ERG/Spartans, force them to form a new party.
    Its the only way we get a functioning opposition AND a populist right wing option
    Impossible with FPTP as it splits the right, same as Starmer needs Corbynites in Labour
  • Options

kle4 said:

How else can we remove a government or PM
    That has quite clearly lost control? We can’t. We’re reliant on MPs to put their jobs on the line for their principles
    Doesn't sound like you are arguing for codification into a 'written constitution', you just want there to be an additional law/rule of some kind to remove the government, which doesn't seem the same thing to me.

After all, don't many arguments in codified systems come down to where the laws are silent or not clear on something, where despite having a written constitution the rules are confused?

The current situation is ridiculous, but parliament surely has the power to bring down the government. It just won't currently do it even though the government has no control whatsoever.
  • Options
    Chief Whip has resigned
  • Options
    This government paying tribute to England's most spectacular batting collapses today

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1582803435191422976
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886

The odd thing is that I don't imagine Labour actually wanted to win the vote.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Out having to deal with flesh&blood nonsense and saw "Braverman" trending. Can't be a good thing, I thought, unless she's decided to relocate to Rwanda. But I bet it's not that. I bet it's more she's done something crass and self-serving. Off now to check.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,974
    HYUFD said:

Chief Whip has resigned

Yes about 30 minutes ago
  • Options
    2022 departure into 1.25 now.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Well Duncan was wrong in that as Johnson won the biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher after May left a hung parliament, got Brexit completed and oversaw the

Only since Boris was removed has the party descended into the current chaos and huge Labour lead
    hahahahahahahaha.......

rubbish, worthy of George Orwell.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Most devasting parliamentary victory ever?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

"completed"

Tell that to the Irish.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    HYUFD said:

Chief Whip has resigned

Do we know why?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

If I hear coalition of chaos accusations from Tory MPs against Labour at the next election I might just lose it !

They are finished for a generation after this autumn's implosion in governance.

They cannot be trusted to sit on a toilet the right way around never mind run the country.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Chief Whip has resigned

Do we know why?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Chief Whip has resigned

Do we know why?
    She didn't vote for fracking apparently.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    @Samfr
    40 Tories didn't vote with the Government on fracking. Including Kwasi Kwarteng.

Neither did Theresa May, Priti Patel or Wendy Morton who was, until ten minutes ago, the chief whip.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1582802165000654849
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

And he was the architect of all this and you shamelessly try to absolve him
  • Options
    Apparently Liz Truss abstained.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    edited October 2022
    The Chief Whip has just resigned.

This is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options

Did the SNP sit this one out?
  • Options

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

100% agreed
  • Options

Because she's a fighter not a quitter.
  • Options

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    ·
    11m
    🤯 Chris Bryant live on Sky with
    @SamCoatesSky
    describing the extraordinary scenes in the Commons tonight.

Says he saw 4 MPs, inc Deputy PM Therese Coffey and Jacob Rees-Mogg, physically man-handling another Tory MP into their voting lobby.

"I've never seen anything like this"

===

And there's a photo apparently.

• Options

Strange. You'd expect her to vote in favour. Then against. Then in favour.
    That seems to be her MO.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

LOL
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,199

This government paying tribute to England's most spectacular batting collapses today

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1582803435191422976

This is more like Australia's 21/9 at Newlands.
  • Options

Ah - cunning politics as always from her
  • Options

The prime minister didn't vote for the government?
  • Options

2022 departure into 1.25 now.

She's gone, DC.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    edited October 2022

Did the SNP sit this one out?
    Not sure - but isn't it an England thing anyway?
  • Options

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

The moderates need to take their party back. And then expel the ERG/Spartans, force them to form a new party.Its the only way we get a functioning opposition AND a populist right wing option
    100% agreed
    Yup. Problem is the UKIPers infesting the party. But they’ll need opposition to rebuild and expel them
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Surely only in Parody World?!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Labour were getting leads of over 10% when Boris was PM.

Yes, it has gotten much worse because Truss has collapsed things, but the Tories were quite a way behind already, and it has gone into overdrive only in the last 2 weeks.

As good a job as Boris did in 2019, you simply cannot pretend that he was as popular in 2022 as he was in 2019. Times have moved on. He was behind.

The question was whether he could recover from that position. MPs felt the answer was no.

MPs have been wrong before, they were wrong about Truss deserving of being in the final two for a start, but let's also not forget that the Tories you like the most, such as JRM, were vocal Truss backers, and Boris wanted her to win over Rishi as well.
  • Options

@Samfr
    40 Tories didn't vote with the Government on fracking. Including Kwasi Kwarteng.

Neither did Theresa May, Priti Patel or Wendy Morton who was, until ten minutes ago, the chief whip.

Boris, Ben Wallace, IDS, Alok Sharma too.
    Don't know how many were paired?
  • Options
    The Noes list is 11 MPs short of what was announced in the commons.. So there may be some amending to that list to be done.

But maybe Truss will removed the whip from herself.

https://twitter.com/ABLPoli/status/1582805176968417280
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

p.s. if the election were held now there would be a lot of true blue voters who would vote against them out of sheer anger.

Yes, a lot of them would vote for Reform UK. A seat like Castle Point might even be won by them.
    Nah, this catastrophic government tried to deliver Farage and Reform UK's policies and it's been a complete disaster. Faragism has been debunked as a political ideology.
    Did they? It seems that everyone is characterising Liz Truss's failures in whatever way suits their preferred narrative.
    Indeed and there are many like me that would vote tory despite everything if it meant keeping a lib dem out. Certainly not something I would do to keep labour out. Outs himself as an anyone but libdem voter
    Visceral hatred of the LibDems is unusual. Surprised you have room for it amongst all your others.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

@Samfr

There was something in the news earlier about Boris being out of the country but paired.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

Who are the 'moderates'?

Not a trick question, I just think the majority of MPs are of the Trussite or more extreme wing.

In this, I think HYUFD is the voice of the party.
  • Options

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

The moderates need to take their party back. And then expel the ERG/Spartans, force them to form a new party.Its the only way we get a functioning opposition AND a populist right wing option
    100% agreed
    Yup. Problem is the UKIPers infesting the party. But they’ll need opposition to rebuild and expel them
    I'm here
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

Strange. You'd expect her to vote in favour. Then against. Then in favour.
    That seems to be her MO.
    I think if I was a Chief Whip trying to corral a government in a three-line confidence vote whip and the PM abstained and the confidence element rescinded at the last moment, I'd probably resign.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Do I understand, the Chief whip has resigned for:

1) Imposing a three line whip on a motion that ran counter to a manifesto commitment;
    2) Said voting against the whip would be tantamount to a vote of no confidence in the government;
    3) Then withdrew it when she realised that voting to remove the government was an idea that was quite popular with Tory MPs;
    4) Finally, didn't follow her own three line whip on what she initially said was a confidence motion?

Because that's just extraordinary. That's a Carry On level of farce.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

No Tory leads since December 6th, actually.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,112
    She’s gone by the weekend
  • Options
    I do almost, but not quite, feel bad for whoever the next Tory PM is. They might somehow get a reasonable grip on things, a performance that would demonstrate them worthy of the office and possibly being a great PM in normal times, but they are then going to see the party go down to a big defeat in any case.
  • Options
    Chris said:

dixiedean said:

@Samfr

There was something in the news earlier about Boris being out of the country but paired.
    He's on holiday.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

p.s. if the election were held now there would be a lot of true blue voters who would vote against them out of sheer anger.

Yes, a lot of them would vote for Reform UK. A seat like Castle Point might even be won by them.
    Nah, this catastrophic government tried to deliver Farage and Reform UK's policies and it's been a complete disaster. Faragism has been debunked as a political ideology.
    Did they? It seems that everyone is characterising Liz Truss's failures in whatever way suits their preferred narrative.
    Including you of course. In fact one of the first out of the traps on this endeavour.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I’m not sure even an outbreak of nuclear war can save Truss now. The last person alive in the UK would still want her gone
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

Who are the 'moderates'?

Not a trick question, I just think the majority of MPs are of the Trussite or more extreme wing.

The Cameroon, May, Hunt, Sunak, Gove, Shapps wing. The Dehenna Davisons of this world.
  • Options
    Same

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,626

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    ·
    11m
    @SamCoatesSky

Says he saw 4 MPs, inc Deputy PM Therese Coffey and Jacob Rees-Mogg, physically man-handling another Tory MP into their voting lobby.

===

Can't imagine JRM intimidating a marshmallow, Coffey on the other hand scares the willies out of me, but I reckon I could run away.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    It's like when we are shown pictures of the South Korean parliament and they are all having a scrap.

Much amusement for all around the world.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

1) Imposing a three line whip on a motion that ran counter to a manifesto commitment;
    2) Said voting against the whip would be tantamount to a vote of no confidence in the government;
    3) Then withdrew it when she realised that voting to remove the government was an idea that was quite popular with Tory MPs;
    4) Finally, didn't follow her own three line whip on what she initially said was a confidence motion?

I must say the idea of Therese Coffey and Jacob Rees-Mogg manhandling MPs into the lobby conjures up images of Hattie Jacques and Kenneth Williams.
    oooh!....Matron!!!
  • Options
    Why would Truss not vote for her own policy?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited October 2022

Pulpstar said:

Arizona GOP candidate who said he wanted “our children protected [from] the progressive left" was arrested for masturbating outside of a preschool

"I'm really stressed"

That old chestnut.
    OllyT said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyway. Fuck it. Cheers

The chief whip got your message.
    Leon said:

Anyway. Fuck it. Cheers

Seriously, don't you have an instagram or facebook account you could post your holiday snaps on?
    One or two is fine but Leon is trying to turn this into Facebook or something. Holiday snaps and conspiracy theories.
    Agreed, if it's something interesting, others do that as well and I enjoy them in small doses.

With Leon we get 20 a day when he's away, endless photos of a drink on a table, nondescript plates of food. It's just boring and intrusive on a politics website. Most of us have travelled, we know what a glass of wine and a mountain and a train look like.
  • Options

Same

She may not be the chief whip, but she's been given a good thrashing.
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

I must say the idea of Therese Coffey and Jacob Rees-Mogg manhandling MPs into the lobby conjures up images of Hattie Jacques and Kenneth Williams.
    Ha yes but JRM’s more Charles Hawtrey, surely?
  • Options
    One poll (admittedly the best for the Tories), had the Labour lead down to 5% less than a month ago. Low 10s was not unusual, a recoverable position.

But let's pretend it was the ditching of Boris that caused the 30% deficits.

If it were the case, we would have seen that right away.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leondarmus has spoken.

Gamblers bet accordingly.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why would Truss not vote for her own policy?

Perhaps the Prime Minister told her not to bother.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ill raise you by lunchtime tomorrow
  • Options
    kjh said:

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    ·
    11m
    @SamCoatesSky

===

Can't imagine JRM intimidating a marshmallow, Coffey on the other hand scares the willies out of me, but I reckon I could run away.
    There is no way JRM manhandles anyone without his pleb touching gloves on.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    2022: what the f*** is going on?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ch4 News. We are facing disaster which is now unavoidable. It is self inflicted and caused by Brexit. So says Nouriel Roubini.

Utterly ridiculous. The entire world is facing disaster and it’s fuck all to do with Brexit
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Been away an hour - has Truss resigned yet?
  • Options

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Ha yes but JRM’s more Charles Hawtrey, surely?
    He's quite large. But equally, I don't think he'd get very far. It only takes one MP to tear his glasses off and stamp on them hard...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

Who are the 'moderates'?

I voted for Sunak, 57% of Tory members and a majority of MPs did not in the final ballot. I am on the moderate wing on that basis, even if Tory members have now changed their mind

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,961

Pulpstar said:

"I'm really stressed"

That old chestnut.
    I’ve been really stressed before. From memory, at no point did I feel the need to relieve the stress by masturbating outside a preschool.
    Freak.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    12m

Liz said nothing.

Who are the 'moderates'?

The Cameroon, May, Hunt, Sunak, Gove, Shapps wing. The Dehenna Davisons of this world.
    And how many are they?
This discussion has been closed.