Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi back as betting favourite for next PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,287
    Pro_Rata said:

TOPPING said:

If you think about it - either they were going to face it down because that is what senior politicians do but ironically, by sacking Kwasi she has shown that senior politicians can actually be got rid of.

She herself has broken the spell of infallibility of her own government and of herself.

She's out. Or will be.

Spell of infallibility??
    Well people have this view of government and the higher echelons being somehow more powerful than they (always tbf) turn out.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555
    Pulpstar said:

Javid out with the washing

Mel Stride at 1.02/26
    Zahawi at 2.32/15
    Clarke at 2.34/7

Stride...isn't he team Sunak ?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

I think Liz Truss is insane, but surely she can’t be mad enough to make JRM Chancellor?

Can She?!

JRM for Chancellor!!! I could do with some laughs! "We have decided to reintroduce Pounds, shillings and pence as Nanny says that using LSD always makes life easier to bear."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,287
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Ok, so we all agree the Tory party current economics are in tatters.

What are they now?

In office, but not in power.
    Tbh I’m loving Kwartengs jacket at the airport today. Cool coat. 😍
    Very, and it hides the handcuffs nicely.
    Not making much effort though. Who's the dude in the top hat behind him? He's made an effort, at least (and looks all the happier for it)

The top hat is probably the doorman at the 1st class suite.
    TOPPING said:

Bonjour...

I prefer Topping's version. Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive... :wink:
    Help with your bags, sir?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited October 2022
    Hunt is being backed on BF (thin market) to 1.84. Javid drifted significantly to 9.4.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    I can’t wait for the nothing has changed car crash presser
  • Options

If I were Kwarteng, I'd be absolutely livid:

"Liz, I've done absolutely everything you wanted, to the letter, and then you sack me".

I'd be totally livid too. He's just doing what the PM wanted.
    Truss sacking Kwarteng? It’s as if Morecambe sacked Wise. Cannon sacked Ball. Laurel sacked Hardy. Except noone is laughing.
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1580878495651020800
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited October 2022
    Am I out of date this lunchtime?

Has Krazi the Clown been defenestrated, such that Little Miss Dotty is now driving the clown car on her own?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    edited October 2022
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Javid out with the washing

Mel Stride at 1.02/26
    Zahawi at 2.32/15
    Clarke at 2.34/7

Stride...isn't he team Sunak ?
    "Someone else" is at 1.52/2.22

Market spread is 400%/67% so unless YOU KNOW it's only worth offering odds and not taking anything..
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

I feel sorry for Kwarteng. Implemented Truss’ view and sacked as a result

Predictable sort of bollocks that starts when you are forced into sacking someone - the baying mob of revolting peasants aren't satisifed with one head.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    My son sent me a message..

"I’m pretty sure such a quick succession of ministers is symptomatic of a country that can’t run itself"

He's not wrong.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    darkage said:

One of the things Cummings says about Truss is that she and her team are thinking in a type of 'telegraph reader' bubble, all their policies are aimed at the centre right newspapers. This would explain how the 'mini-budget' came to be.

Heath at S Telegraph nearly wet himself with delirious joy at the mini clusterfuck.

They aren't gonna be happy that the 'blob' and the BBC and, erm... the bond markets, have forced her back.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Hunt is being backed on BF (thin market) to 1.84. Javid drifted significantly to 9.4.

Unlikely if, as claimed earlier on this thread, Hunt is not in Britain. If, on the other hand, he is in a taxi back from Luton Airport...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

She’s terrible.

Can we say she's an omnishambolic clusterfuck?

Great Hunt tip of yours btw. He's included and the odds-on fav now.

(yes I opened up my betfair brower to check that BUT didn't do anything)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

"I’m pretty sure such a quick succession of ministers is symptomatic of a country that can’t run itself"

He's not wrong.

Great perspicacity from an 8 yr old too.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,901
    Will it work & calm markets/MPs?

One senior Tory...

"She is as guilty as KK and I don't think it is good enough that she throws him under the bus and can then expect to proceed as if the problem is sorted.

"She has to go. There is nothing she can do to retrieve her position."

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1580885479758606337
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One senior Tory...

"She is as guilty as KK and I don't think it is good enough that she throws him under the bus and can then expect to proceed as if the problem is sorted.

Thanks Rishi.
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m
    2022 will be known, says a friend in the City, as the year of the four chancellors. Will it also be the year of the three prime ministers?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One senior Tory...

Maybe she'll resign at 2pm. We're not that lucky. But it would be good.
  • Options
    Has Kwarteng actually been sacked or will he send in a resignation letter* ?
    Can't remember the last time anyone got sacked from cabinet. Unless I'm misremembering.
    An actual sacking would be doubly brutal.

* Yes I know it's keeping up appearances.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    kjh said:

I would just like to announce I will be chancellor between 9 am and midday on Wednesday.

In the future, we will all have 15mins of being chancellor.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    Scott_xP said:

LOL.
  • Options

I think Liz Truss is insane, but surely she can’t be mad enough to make JRM Chancellor?

Can She?!

She's not the one choosing in this situation, except potentially from a shortlist of acceptables.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Can't remember the last time anyone got sacked from cabinet. Unless I'm misremembering.

Happens plenty when there's a new PM of course.
  • Options
    Perhaps Liz Truss will take on the Chancellor role herself, to make sure that her brilliant ideas are properly implemented.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

He's not wrong.

It reminded him of his history of the 1920s. His point was this goes beyond Truss. A succession of weak leaders, failing.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I would just like to announce I will be chancellor between 9 am and midday on Wednesday.

I can do most afternoons between 2 and 4 if that will help.
  • Options
    My betfair has refreshed, Jeremy Hunt steams into the lead.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

kjh said:

I can do most afternoons between 2 and 4 if that will help.
    I'm pretty sure Osborne has time in his schedule for a ninth job.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

darkage said:

I watched the 'rise' of Liz Truss and her poundshop IEA neoliberalism in the 2010's. For centrists like me, the one consolation of Brexit and the rise of Trump was that I thought it consigned this type of political thinking to history. This 7 week long experiment has been like some strange last gasp on the part of the IEA poundshop neoliberals. Now they are completely destroyed, ruined, humiliated.

You do know that the IEA poundshop neoliberals supported Brexit, right? In 2013 the IEA even launched a competition to find the best Brexit plan (prize EUR100k), judged by the uber poundshop neoliberal and Brexit supporter Nigel Lawson. Brexit was dreamt up to cement the neoliberal settlement in Britain, not bury it.
    That is true as well. The latter part of the plan didn't work out very well though.
    Liz Truss was perhaps the rage against the dying of the light.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Scott_xP said:

Guido is Sion Simon and I claim my inflation adjusted £5 (worth £252,123,733.87 in today's money)
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m
    2022 will be known, says a friend in the City, as the year of the four chancellors. Will it also be the year of the three prime ministers?

Logically I can’t see how she stays. What the heck is the line?

I was deceived by evil Kwasi?

I was ambushed by a tax cut?

It was all a dream?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Boris sacked Gove.
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m

It was all a dream?
    She might try "poor communications" and "failure to work properly with BoE"

• Options
    My little one will be doing Tuesday and thursday mornings at the nursery shortly so perhaps she can give CoE a go ?
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m

It was all a dream?
    Stays for what though?

Plenty of chance she makes it to 2023, even if the diagnosis is terminal.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,891
    kjh said:

Resigning just in time for PMQs.
  • Options
    Maybe Truss will reappoint KK this afternoon. She loves a good u turn.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Just put a pint on Javid.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

kjh said:

In the future, we will all have 15mins of being chancellor.
    Thief! Plagiarist! (See my post at 12.18).
  • Options
    Kwasis next job could be in cyber (he just doesn't know it yet). https://twitter.com/MikeHolden42/status/1580886867117223936/photo/1
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,209
    edited October 2022
    I've not seen such a precise estimate of how many of its missiles Russia has used before.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1580878610617241600

Other, less precise, estimates have suggested Russia has fewer missiles left. With noting that the anti-ship (Oniks) and surface-to-air (S-300) missiles that Russia has used against civilian targets aren't included. I think Russia has a vast quantity of S-300 missiles.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

He's not wrong.

It reminded him of his history of the 1920s. His point was this goes beyond Truss. A succession of weak leaders, failing.
    You need strength behind a strong leader. Maggie had Airey Neave - he hated Heath and fixed it for Maggie to win. Then she had Tebbit. When he left Government, things got dicey. I don't know who that fixer and key support is for Truss. If it was Kwasi, well...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My little one will be doing Tuesday and thursday mornings at the nursery shortly so perhaps she can give CoE a go ?

She can't count yet but it shouldn't be a barrier.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Scott_xP said:

LOL.
    Surely the best thing to come from this debacle is the fall of commentators such as guido, Cole etc
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ministers always resign. I think it’s some sort of convention, because strictly speaking they serve the Monarch rather than the PM.
  • Options
    One thing you can say about the modern Tory party: they are more than happy to supply far more political betting opportunities than the average party.

We could on another leadership election by end of month.
  • Options
    Sky news asking “But what happens to Kwasi Kwarteng now?” as if that is a thing anybody gives a flying fuck about.
    https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1580884303486935041
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m

It was all a dream?
    KK became a distraction from Putin's coalition against growth and the package. Something like that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Boris sacked Gove.
    About 5 minutes before the end of his premiership
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

darkage said:

I watched the 'rise' of Liz Truss and her poundshop IEA neoliberalism in the 2010's. For centrists like me, the one consolation of Brexit and the rise of Trump was that I thought it consigned this type of political thinking to history. This 7 week long experiment has been like some strange last gasp on the part of the IEA poundshop neoliberals. Now they are completely destroyed, ruined, humiliated.

You do know that the IEA poundshop neoliberals supported Brexit, right? In 2013 the IEA even launched a competition to find the best Brexit plan (prize EUR100k), judged by the uber poundshop neoliberal and Brexit supporter Nigel Lawson. Brexit was dreamt up to cement the neoliberal settlement in Britain, not bury it.
    The problem for the IEA is they are wealthy, upper middle class fiscally conservative, socially liberal libertarians mainly West London based. They wanted to create Singapore on Thames.

However the average Leave voter was a working class or lower middle class, economic centrist but social conservative who wanted more money for the NHS and to cut immigration, not to slash the size of the state. Boris won them in the redwall, Truss and her IEA agenda has sent them back to Labour under Starmer on a plate

• Options

Perhaps Liz Truss will take on the Chancellor role herself, to make sure that her brilliant ideas are properly implemented.

The Scott Morrison model. A great way of minimising cabinet dissent.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That's almost as bad as those sunflower idiots.
    I hope it wipes off.
  • Options
    Exchancellor of the Chequer
  • Options
    Simon Clark for Chancellor
    please
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

He's not wrong.

You need strength behind a strong leader. Maggie had Airey Neave - he hated Heath and fixed it for Maggie to win. Then she had Tebbit. When he left Government, things got dicey. I don't know who that fixer and key support is for Truss. If it was Kwasi, well...
    Good point. She is vulnerable. Boris and even May both had backup. She has noone.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Pulpstar said:

I think the Bf market is so thin and all over the place that is is an unreliable guide. Leadsom was vying for favourite at one point. Hunt was absent from the betting until a short while ago and then appeared at odd-on (now evens).

I have a fiver on Javid at 11. I'm tempted to lay Hunt.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,625
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

I think I'm being fired.
  • Options
    A group of senior Tories have been holding discussions + have decided the following: the sacking of @KwasiKwarteng will prompt them to come out publicly next week + call on @trussliz to resign. My source: “These are serious people. The PM will find it difficult to survive.”

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1580887374292455424
  • Options
    Javid plunges to 3
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2022
    {deleted]
  • Options
    Betting - she's shortening to go this year.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A group of senior Tories have been holding discussions + have decided the following: the sacking of @KwasiKwarteng will prompt them to come out publicly next week + call on @trussliz to resign. My source: “These are serious people. The PM will find it difficult to survive.”

Serious people in the Tory Party?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

The problem for the IEA is they are wealthy, upper middle class fiscally conservative, socially liberal libertarians mainly West London based. They wanted to create Singapore on Thames.

However the average Leave voter was a working class or lower middle class, economic centrist but social conservative who wanted more money for the NHS and to cut immigration, not to slash the size of the state. Boris won them in the redwall, Truss and her IEA agenda has sent them back to Labour under Starmer on a plate

This has always been the problem with Brexit - the fundamental disjoint between the vision of those who funded and promoted it and those who voted for it. It is this disjoint, not the machinations of Remoaners, that means that Brexit will never work.
  • Options

I've not seen such a precise estimate of how many of its missiles Russia has used before.

Other, less precise, estimates have suggested Russia has fewer missiles left. With noting that the anti-ship (Oniks) and surface-to-air (S-300) missiles that Russia has used against civilian targets aren't included. I think Russia has a vast quantity of S-300 missiles.

Interesting, I’ve not seen anything like that before either.

So the enemy is using up missiles nearly as fast as they’re using up tanks, and the vast majority of them aren’t hitting their intended targets - either taken out by air defences, or not being accurate enough to go where they’re told.
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 234
    Can't Charles intervene and grant us a General Election, this is what should happen, get rid of the whole damn circus
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Why wait till next week?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

I think I'm being fired.
    Never leave the country in circumstances like Kwarteng did.

He should have drawn a red line on a covid test kit.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Serious people in the Tory Party?
    Please God let them come out and do this. Then form a new 'Change UK' party.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,853
    Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt
    ·
    6m
    A group of senior Tories have been holding discussions + have decided the following: the sacking of
    @KwasiKwarteng
    will prompt them to come out publicly next week + call on
    @trussliz
    to resign. My source: “These are serious people. The PM will find it difficult to survive.”
  • Options
    Think there’ll be some awkward chat between the once friends and neighbours but now political enemies Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng over the wild garlic at this Sunday’s Blackheath Farmers’ Market
    https://twitter.com/MhariAurora/status/1580888648668434432
  • Options
    With the 1922 process, we might have a new PM by Easter. A caretaker Truss is going to be such a joy.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,597
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Right-wing populist movements always seem to end up captured by libertarian, protect-the-rich interests.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Scott_xP said:

They'll have to move fast if they're hoping to squeeze in a fifth chancellor.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Interesting, I’ve not seen anything like that before either.

So the enemy is using up missiles nearly as fast as they’re using up tanks, and the vast majority of them aren’t hitting their intended targets - either taken out by air defences, or not being accurate enough to go where they’re told.
    Not just on usage, but on stocks.

Where do the figures come from? Russians are busy complaining about equipment that has been bought and paid for but doesn't exist.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    eristdoof said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing rumours Kwasi sacked.

Anyone verify?

yes
    Is that the shortest stint as Chancellor oE?
    Not including any emergency stop gap chancellors
    Iain Macleod at 30 days was shorter. But he did die, rather than get the sack.
    eristdoof said:

When was the last time there were 4 CoEs in one year? Assuming that one of the first two is not reinstated.

Edited!

There never has been. Three is the previous record.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    edited October 2022

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m
    2022 will be known, says a friend in the City, as the year of 'at least' four chancellors. Will it also be the year of the three prime ministers?

Corrected it for you...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I've got this mad idea for Chancellor, how about for once we appoint someone because they know what they are doing?
  • Options

Nicholas Watt
    @nicholaswatt
    ·
    6m
    A group of senior Tories have been holding discussions + have decided the following: the sacking of
    @KwasiKwarteng
    will prompt them to come out publicly next week + call on
    @trussliz
    to resign. My source: “These are serious people. The PM will find it difficult to survive.”

Not credible. There are no serious people left in the Tory party. I cite the Tory party.
  • Options

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m

It was all a dream?
    The line, I'd have thought, is that I remain a tax-cutter but accept the need to do so more gradually in a manner that retains the confidence of the markets. The mini-budget damaged confidence, and we need a reset whilst continuing to work towards the tax cutting agenda. The Chancellor has concluded that the reset requires him to step aside, and I've reluctantly accepted that. X, who shares my aim to reduce taxes and unleash growth, but who of course supported by opponent in the recent leadership election, has agreed to take on the job and we look forward to working together against the Anti Growth Coalition etc etc.

Yes, it's a humiliation and she's accepting someone moving in next door specifically to take over economic policy, in order to save her own job.

But she's not the only PM who, in a weak position, has been forced to change policies and personnel to mollify the party.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Will be fascinating to see Truss eloquently communicate the reasons for keeping her in place
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

These are “senior Tories” upset that the chancellor got fired? Presumably the same ones who have spent the last fortnight suggesting he should be fired?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Can She?!

Yes.
  • Options
    “I made him fly back across the Atlantic, and then I sacked him! I made him cry!” https://twitter.com/mocent0/status/1580889146935345152/photo/1

• Options
    glw said:

I've got this mad idea for Chancellor, how about for once we appoint someone because they know what they are doing?

In this Tory party?? I think you're asking for the moon my friend!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Think there’ll be some awkward chat between the once friends and neighbours but now political enemies Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng over the wild garlic at this Sunday’s Blackheath Farmers’ Market
    https://twitter.com/MhariAurora/status/1580888648668434432

That would be odd, it's not wild garlic season.
  • Options
    An interesting point from Paul Waugh:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Given that the OBR are going to have to give a fresh assessment of any 'new' (U-turned) fiscal plans, the next Budget/statement will have to be delayed beyond Halloween? Won't it?
  • Options

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    58m
    The logic that is leading to Truss sacking Kwarteng will also lead to the Tory party sacking Truss.
  • Options
    Kwarteng gone. Story now moves on to how long can Truss survive.

Senior Tory MP: "Things are just too bad now. She has to go."

Another adds: "She can't do all these U-turns, sack her chancellor and expect to survive."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/kwasi-kwarteng-sacked-liz-truss-prepares-mini-budget-u-turn_uk_63492a6de4b051268c48673e
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    glw said:

Boris kicked them all out of the party.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Penddu2 said:

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    42m
    2022 will be known, says a friend in the City, as the year of 'at least' four chancellors. Will it also be the year of the three prime ministers?

Corrected it for you...
    There were three Prime Ministers in 1834 - Grey, Melbourne and Peel - not including the Wellington caretaker ministry.
This discussion has been closed.