Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liz Truss – the Tory gift to Keir Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I see 2-year mortgages are now above 6%. I got mine Nov last year with Santander at 0.89%.

Just think of what a sledgehammer that is when it comes up to remortgaging. You can do the maths for yourself on a £200k debt. Add energy bills and inflation on top and ask how families are going to afford it. It's over an extra £1,000 a month every month.

Tories used to have a lead amongst homeowners. They won't now.

They will because the Tories will lead heavily among outright owners with no mortgage. They want higher interest rates, they care little for the impoverishment of generations below if it gets them an extra cruise per year.
    They also help with deposits for their grandchildren and children to get a house.

Typical libertarian attitude ignoring the family
    Not this one again. Most people don't inherit until their mid sixties and parents also can't afford to pay a deposit for typically 2 children out of their savings while they are still alive. Listening to More or Less yesterday, the typical first time deposit is £100,000. I have 2 children and I am by most people's standards very well off, but I can't just find £200,000 at the drop of a hat and it would be a risk to my retirement if I did. These days many/most people don't have DB pensions to live off so I need the buffer of cash, potential to pay for a care in old age.
    Simply not true. Most upper middle class parents in the home counties and London I know help their children in their 20s or 30s with a deposit for a property and that is where property prices are highest and it is most needed. North of Watford property is much more affordable to buy for those on average incomes (even if TSE for instance also got help from his dad to buy in Hallam, a relatively more expensive part of the North)
    Which part of kjh can't work out how he can afford to sub his children £100,000 has post got to do with.

Some people can afford to gift their children a substantial profit - many can't....
    I am not referring to KJH. I am referring to upper middle class parents I know, who have worked in the City, been doctors, corporate lawyers, directors of companies etc almost all of who live in London or the Home Counties and almost all of whom have given their children a deposit to buy a property.

KJH by his own admission gave up full time work in his 40s
    Yep I did (6 months after my 40th birthday), although I did set up a business which I worked at part time and then worked for the LDs and charitable causes foc and fortunately my business was successful. I am also married to a Doctor. So I actually do fall into the category you define (it is odd you think I don't as I meet every part of your definition!). But I fail to see what that has to do with anything. If anything it proves the point. I am rich by most people's standards and although I could do it, it would empty us of all our available cash (and easy to convert to cash assets) that I live on. I don't have a DB pension or annuity bringing in a regular income big enough to live on as will be the case going forward for many. Eventually I will downsize and live off that realised capital.

But I am fortunate. I note again you are referring to Upper Middle Class parents who work in the City, Doctors, Corporate Lawyers, etc

What about the dustman, nurse, social worker, call centre worker, etc who make up the vast majority of the population (like my parents (junior civil servant and payroll clerk) who live in the south. I guess they can go hang then?
    So you married into the category then, even if after 40 you weren't in it yourself.

If you are on an average income in London or the Home Counties and don't have wealthy parents, then outside of a few areas like Harlow, Margate or Dagenham and Clacton where property prices are cheap I would suggest moving north if you want to buy a property before 40. As property prices as I said are far cheaper north of Watford and that is unlikely to change much however much you concrete over the greenbelt or tighten immigration rules
    I have just seen you edited your post with the new first line. You do jump to conclusions don't you.

Not that it is any of your business but I worked in the City. I left Uni to join one of the big Consultancies. I then went to work for one of the big US computer companies. I made substantially more money than my wife. I semi retired before I got married. Marrying my wife was the cherry on the cake.
    So you still weren't in the category after 40 then even if you were before and your wife still was
    Yep I was (not that it matters) because I set up a business that meets your criteria completely. But I don't get this boasting stuff. What does it matter what I or my wife did? She certainly doesn't think of herself as being upper middle class not I. Why does it matter to you?
    As you were not both in the category able to help your children with deposits for expensive London or Home counties properties at the time they needed it
    If house prices down South were sane, parents wouldn't need to destroy their own finances to allow their children to buy a home and have a family..
    London is now the biggest and richest global city in Europe.

I am afraid the only way to collapse London and SE house prices again is for London to go back to a 1970s relative shithole with a few historic buildings. Even building all over the greenbelt wouldn't do it

What's the point of having the "biggest and richest" city if no one can afford to live in it?
    Well go back to London being a 1970s style shithole then with a few historic buildings and much cheaper property. Pull down Docklands and put in some semis in its place, tell the American banks to get out of London and turn the Shard into UKIP HQ might do it!

Leave being a global city to Paris and New York and LA and Tokyo
    Tokyo doesn't have silly high rents, they just let people build things.
    Even in Tokyo the average property price to buy is now the equivalent of $604 000, which would be well above the UK average

https://resources.realestate.co.jp/news/how-much-does-an-apartment-cost-in-tokyo-march-2022-update/
    The Japanese have not experienced anything like the population growth of the U.K.

They have a tiny birth rate and the immigration rate is negligible.

Strangely, when demand for houses is actually falling, in many areas…
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    PB favourite Prof John Curtice:

On how the waves from Westminster have washed over @ScotTories but left @TheSNP citadel untouched.

https://twitter.com/whatscotsthink/status/1577937980756467712?s=46&t=ZufN8YAs4WTmrmQybO-kUw
  • Options
    Disharmony in paradise.

Top Labour party officials messaged each other on WhatsApp to say I was “hideous”, “truly repulsive”, “literally makes me sick” and “a very angry woman”.
    To this day @Keir_Starmer Starmer has never apologised to me personally

https://twitter.com/hackneyabbott/status/1577980779967176706?s=46&t=ZufN8YAs4WTmrmQybO-kUw
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Two things that MPs trying to oust Truss currently can't get past

-Horror at going through another members' election and lack of obvious mechanism to prevent it

-Total inability to agree on a single candidate for a coronation without a vote

May be enough to save her
    https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1577954215791583233

Could be. I have bet she will be out by end of year, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that the party is so split that a coronation will not be allowed. Braverman basically looks like she will run no matter what. I guess the grey suits might find a way around this and for time being I am keeping my bet in place as it is only beer money.

They need Rishi in order to calm the markets. The young cardinals, old popes dictum suggests MPs might settle for Theresa May in a Michael Howard-like damage limitation role. Things might be clearer once Boris encounters the Privileges Committee.
    Wallace PM, Sunak back as Chancellor is the only possible replacement for Truss and Kwarteng that might produce a poll bounce and also not split the party
    You are probably right, Hyufd, and even that might not work.

Would either of them take the jobs though?
    PB's fondness for Ben Wallace is not persuasive. Look at his videos on Youtube: will he really excite the voter on the Clapham omnibus?
    Did John Major excite? Still did the job well.
    That's a slightly romanticised view of Major's Premiership.

He ditched Council Tax and held it together for 1992 - which is no mean achievement. But he quickly ran into Black Wednesday after that, destroying the Government's reputation for economic competence in a similar way to now. And the rest was a weak PM, unable to articulate a clear vision, struggling to retain control of a party that had run out of steam and were mired in sleaze on their way out. Even against an improving economic climate approaching 1997, he came nowhere close to averting disaster at the ballot box.

That's not to say he isn't broadly a decent chap who has been a good EX Prime Minister. But, at the time, he didn't really do the job that well and it was a bit of a sh1tshow in all honesty.
    You're being a bit unfair to Major. He took over at an incredibly difficult time for the Conservative Party, and managed pretty well. It wasn't really his fault that his party was trying to stab him in the back, and the decisions which led Black Wednesday weren't at the time so obviously bad ones as they now appear in retrospect - that's why they were broadly supported, including by the opposition. He left the economy in a really good state, having appointed one of the best Chancellors we've had since the war. He made great strides in the NI peace process.

Overall, a pretty good record in the circumstances.
    This is a "I made the big calls right" argument. I think it's fairly hard to be PM for seven years, as Major was, without having a mixed record of some successes and some failures. I hope he's proud of his record in Northern Ireland etc.

But you do need to step back and consider the record as a whole, and the electoral outcome. The successes were matters of record at the time, but were nowhere near enough to outweigh the failures as the public perceived them - it was an extremely unpopular Government. You also see him as a victim of a fractious Tory Party... but a leader can't really duck responsibility over a demoralised and indisciplined rabble behind him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    darkage said:

The biggest contradiction in British Politics is that the Conservative party claim to be the party of 'growth'. Yet they fail to make the difficult decisions about how to achieve growth, IE through reform of the planning system.

In planning, the main way in which 'growth' happens is through difficult decisions taken by pro growth local authorities who ram it through in urban areas (ie Birmingham), and the governments own planning Inspectors, who over-rule local Councils to allow large scale housing; and then get criticised and threatened with abolition by the Conservative Party - indeed I think Truss has already been complaining about them.

The link below is todays example of this phenemenon. Councillors in Wealden refusing planning permission for development that was allocated in the plan that they approved a few years before. Local tory MP in on the act. Overturned by a planning Inspector.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/politics/appeal-decision-made-on-700-homes-on-outskirts-of-eastbourne-3860091

Viewed in this context, the Conservative party are very far from being the party of growth, they are actually a backward anti growth party.

The thing is that people want growth, but not at any price, especially if it adversely affects their environment.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1576884679923286016?t=Uxi0w_s2GNHgMhrdUVnLZg&s=19

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I see 2-year mortgages are now above 6%. I got mine Nov last year with Santander at 0.89%.

Just think of what a sledgehammer that is when it comes up to remortgaging. You can do the maths for yourself on a £200k debt. Add energy bills and inflation on top and ask how families are going to afford it. It's over an extra £1,000 a month every month.

They will because the Tories will lead heavily among outright owners with no mortgage. They want higher interest rates, they care little for the impoverishment of generations below if it gets them an extra cruise per year.
    They also help with deposits for their grandchildren and children to get a house.

Not this one again. Most people don't inherit until their mid sixties and parents also can't afford to pay a deposit for typically 2 children out of their savings while they are still alive. Listening to More or Less yesterday, the typical first time deposit is £100,000. I have 2 children and I am by most people's standards very well off, but I can't just find £200,000 at the drop of a hat and it would be a risk to my retirement if I did. These days many/most people don't have DB pensions to live off so I need the buffer of cash, potential to pay for a care in old age.
    Simply not true. Most upper middle class parents in the home counties and London I know help their children in their 20s or 30s with a deposit for a property and that is where property prices are highest and it is most needed. North of Watford property is much more affordable to buy for those on average incomes (even if TSE for instance also got help from his dad to buy in Hallam, a relatively more expensive part of the North)
    Which part of kjh can't work out how he can afford to sub his children £100,000 has post got to do with.

Some people can afford to gift their children a substantial profit - many can't....
    I am not referring to KJH. I am referring to upper middle class parents I know, who have worked in the City, been doctors, corporate lawyers, directors of companies etc almost all of who live in London or the Home Counties and almost all of whom have given their children a deposit to buy a property.

Yep I did (6 months after my 40th birthday), although I did set up a business which I worked at part time and then worked for the LDs and charitable causes foc and fortunately my business was successful. I am also married to a Doctor. So I actually do fall into the category you define (it is odd you think I don't as I meet every part of your definition!). But I fail to see what that has to do with anything. If anything it proves the point. I am rich by most people's standards and although I could do it, it would empty us of all our available cash (and easy to convert to cash assets) that I live on. I don't have a DB pension or annuity bringing in a regular income big enough to live on as will be the case going forward for many. Eventually I will downsize and live off that realised capital.

But I am fortunate. I note again you are referring to Upper Middle Class parents who work in the City, Doctors, Corporate Lawyers, etc

What about the dustman, nurse, social worker, call centre worker, etc who make up the vast majority of the population (like my parents (junior civil servant and payroll clerk) who live in the south. I guess they can go hang then?
    So you married into the category then, even if after 40 you weren't in it yourself.

If you are on an average income in London or the Home Counties and don't have wealthy parents, then outside of a few areas like Harlow, Margate or Dagenham and Clacton where property prices are cheap I would suggest moving north if you want to buy a property before 40. As property prices as I said are far cheaper north of Watford and that is unlikely to change much however much you concrete over the greenbelt or tighten immigration rules
    I have just seen you edited your post with the new first line. You do jump to conclusions don't you.

Not that it is any of your business but I worked in the City. I left Uni to join one of the big Consultancies. I then went to work for one of the big US computer companies. I made substantially more money than my wife. I semi retired before I got married. Marrying my wife was the cherry on the cake.
    So you still weren't in the category after 40 then even if you were before and your wife still was
    Yep I was (not that it matters) because I set up a business that meets your criteria completely. But I don't get this boasting stuff. What does it matter what I or my wife did? She certainly doesn't think of herself as being upper middle class not I. Why does it matter to you?
    As you were not both in the category able to help your children with deposits for expensive London or Home counties properties at the time they needed it
    If house prices down South were sane, parents wouldn't need to destroy their own finances to allow their children to buy a home and have a family..

I am afraid the only way to collapse London and SE house prices again is for London to go back to a 1970s relative shithole with a few historic buildings. Even building all over the greenbelt wouldn't do it

What's the point of having the "biggest and richest" city if no one can afford to live in it?
    Well go back to London being a 1970s style shithole then with a few historic buildings and much cheaper property. Pull down Docklands and put in some semis in its place, tell the American banks to get out of London and turn the Shard into UKIP HQ might do it!

Even in Tokyo the average property price to buy is now the equivalent of $604 000, which would be well above the UK average

https://resources.realestate.co.jp/news/how-much-does-an-apartment-cost-in-tokyo-march-2022-update/
    The Japanese have not experienced anything like the population growth of the U.K.

The population of small towns far away from the major cities is shrinking drastically but the population of Tokyo is growing.
  • Options
    Taz said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

“This afternoon we should see the first post-speech polling and I would be very surprised if perceptions have moved.”

Personally I wouldn’t like to call wether it’s temporary polling change or largely permanent - John Curtice said the same yesterday.

It could prove like how a currency drops dramatically in hours, doesn’t jump back in hours but regains ground over days and weeks.

In Truss first week there was not dramatic movement on her coronation, she was largely seen as doing okay at PMQs, indeed the polls were showing uptick in her favour. Yes, they were. The more dramatic nature of the collapse seems to linked to one budget, in fact one budget measure which is now gone, so gradual recovery could happen.

Osborne had a “uber bad pasty budget” where Tory position was eroded to give Labour big leads, partly because the UKIP position was improved by the budget, but ultimately that bad budget drop unwound too.

If you are going to bet on poll movement, a gradual unwinding of the collapse (though not completely!) is the smart bet I think.

The problem that Truss and Kwarteng face is that they will have to announce swingeing public service cuts in November.

That, surely, is why they wanted to pass the tax cuts and the abolition of the 45% tax band first - because cutting taxes for the richest 1% while cutting benefits for the majority would have been completely untenable.

Hence the OBR omission. And the core vote strategy of tax cuts for the middle classes.

If Labour is 25% ahead now, how far will it be ahead in November when public sector pay freezes and service cuts are announced?

It is a shame as Truss's approach is really the only way that Brexit makes sense.
    As Jacob Rees Mogg said: Brexit makes sense if you take a 50 year viewpoint (he was unwise to do so, albeit correct)

That’s how long it might take to a show a real net benefit. But it will show that benefit. Let’s reconvene in 2066
    Yes let's have my kids living under this shit for most of their working lives and then we can decide. No.
    Well, you’re stuck with it. Sorry

So we will have plenty of time to see if I’m right
    Only four years to wait according to the idiot that wrote this drivel:

"In ten years’ time we’ll look through the kitchen window of renewed prosperity, watch the laughing Remainers playing football with our smiling Brexit child, and we’ll quietly sip tea from a Union Jack mug, and we’ll think: best thing I ever did."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-brexit-is-just-like-having-a-baby
    Even Brexiteers now know that Brexit is an enormous clusterf*ck. The narrative has changed. SKS will align more closely to the EU over the next Parliament with an avenue to rejoin in the subsequent Parliament. Yes, in 50 years things will be much better, primarily because we would be back at the heart of the EU.
    We’re not rejoining in at least the next couple of decades. EFTA, however, is a definite possibility.
    Why would the EU have us back given we have been nothing but trouble for quite a while.
    If it happens, it will be because it is a different "us" rejoining a different "them". But that's inevitable as people join and leave this mortal coil. And future Britain and future Europe will make their own decisions about what to do.

Every politician likes to think that they are building an edifice for the ages, but very very few do.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, we cannot ignore immigrations effect on house prices. However many new houses we build in London and the Home counties to increase supply you would also need to significantly cut immigration and demand to see a real fall in house prices there and even then as a global city it would still be more expensive than the north
  • Options

On how the waves from Westminster have washed over @ScotTories but left @TheSNP citadel untouched.

https://twitter.com/whatscotsthink/status/1577937980756467712?s=46&t=ZufN8YAs4WTmrmQybO-kUw

If Labour win a UK majority they can ignore the SNP anyway
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The population of small towns far away from the major cities is shrinking drastically but the population of Tokyo is growing.
    Username checks out.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    The best headline ever.
    (Around a decade old, but has it sincel been bettered ?)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/scaryfish/status/1577713844012879872
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But at a rate far less than London.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You’ll be voting Labour yourself then?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Fake news.

My first house was in London.

My father got on the mortgage because at the time I was a callow 21 year who was just about to start his first job after university.

My grandparents were the ones who helped me with the deposit and the furnishings.

But you miss the point, I was lucky, I'm an only child, and the only grandchild of both grandparents, so I was the only apple in so many eyes.

Most people have siblings and cousins, and no matter how wealthy/middle class your parents, there's not enough resources to help those families get on the property.

True conservatism is about making sure we are a home owning (and share owning) democracy.

Right now the Tory party is making it harder for us to become a home owning democracy, and that means the party is utterly borked for generations.

New homeowners begets Tory voters.
    My wife and I bought our first flat in London when we got married aged 26 using money we had saved up, with no help from our parents or anyone else. We now own a £1.5mn house mortgage-free 20 years later. But I still wouldn't piss on the Tories if they were on fire, let alone vote for them.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss may have poor comms, but so does Anas Sarwar. Why is he promoting a graphic with his party on a whopping 14 point deficit?

https://twitter.com/anassarwar/status/1577729135551680524?s=46&t=QH-z0GXA4uR9A9zAR_jO1Q

As it is a 6.5% swing from SNP to SLAB since 2019
    The swing is straight SCon to SLab.
    Which still leads to SLAB seat gains from SNP and Alba
    On paper. At Peak Starmer. Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath and East Lothian Coast. Wow! Extraordinary! We’ll see how GOTV goes.

Fun to see a hard right English Tory cheering on the Scottish Labour Party.
    I am not hard right conservative or English, (indeed I am homeless politically) but Starmer rising above Sturgeon is very pleasing and I look forward to labour gaining seats in Scotland

I would tactically vote for any party that opposes Independence if I lived in Scotland
    - “… Starmer rising above Sturgeon…”

Huh?

SNP projected to win 52 seats.
    SLab projected to win 3 seats.

Yeah, Starmer is a superstar.
    It seems to me very unlikely the SNP would win 52 seats if they poll 44% and Labour get back to 31%. With a 36-28 lead in 2017 with the following two parties on an almost perfectly even split they were down to the equivalent of about 32 seats. I'd be interested to see how that model works.
    Roughly, in the North the Battle is Con-SNP. Lab are distant 3rds and 4ths oin those seats. If the SNP vote is static Lab would need to rise huge amounts to take the seat. As a random example Aberdeenshire West & Kincardine
    Conservative	Andrew Bowie	22,752	42.7	
    SNP	Fergus Mutch	21,909	41.1	
    Liberal Democrats	John Waddell	6,253	11.7	
    Labour	Patrick Coffield	2,431	4.6	
    Lab have no hope of taking this seat. The swing in the North goes from Con-to-LD. The vote share winners her will be the LDs but probably not enough to take the seat.

In the Central belt it is vastly more competitive for Labour. But this isn't the post 2015/2017 landscape, the majorities are no longer razor thin, for example Glasgow North:
    SNP	Patrick Grady	16,982	46.9	
    Labour	Pam Duncan-Glancy	11,381	31.4	
    Conservative	Tony Curtis	3,806	10.5	
    Liberal Democrats	Andrew Chamberlain	2,394	6.6	
    Green	Cass McGregor	1,308	3.6	
    Brexit Party	Dionne Cocozza	320	0.9	
    The SNP vote is static, Labs target is 46.9%, that basically means getting every Conservative vote plus the LDs. Pick an SNP seat with Lab in Second place and you'll find a not just double digit SNP majorities but 20 point leads. I think there's 4 seats on current boundaries where the SNP lead is sub 10 points.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited October 2022
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Username checks out.
    I just leave that in the name to fool the burglars, nowadays I'm in a small town 100km away where have room for goats.
  • Options
    Hello_CloudsHello_Clouds Posts: 97
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

-Horror at going through another members' election and lack of obvious mechanism to prevent it

Could be. I have bet she will be out by end of year, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that the party is so split that a coronation will not be allowed. Braverman basically looks like she will run no matter what. I guess the grey suits might find a way around this and for time being I am keeping my bet in place as it is only beer money.

They need Rishi in order to calm the markets. The young cardinals, old popes dictum suggests MPs might settle for Theresa May in a Michael Howard-like damage limitation role. Things might be clearer once Boris encounters the Privileges Committee.
    Wallace PM, Sunak back as Chancellor is the only possible replacement for Truss and Kwarteng that might produce a poll bounce and also not split the party

PB's fondness for Ben Wallace is not persuasive. Look at his videos on Youtube: will he really excite the voter on the Clapham omnibus?
    No. Few would disagree. But why not JRM? Test question for all possibles: what do you have to say about this sketch from the Monty Python crew?

https://youtu.be/eBqe5xvYnNc

a) Treasonous, probably paid for by Putin.
    b) Blasphemous.
    c) Both treasonous and blasphemous.
    d) Irrelevant nowadays.
    e) I can't see or hear anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

The biggest contradiction in British Politics is that the Conservative party claim to be the party of 'growth'. Yet they fail to make the difficult decisions about how to achieve growth, IE through reform of the planning system.

In planning, the main way in which 'growth' happens is through difficult decisions taken by pro growth local authorities who ram it through in urban areas (ie Birmingham), and the governments own planning Inspectors, who over-rule local Councils to allow large scale housing; and then get criticised and threatened with abolition by the Conservative Party - indeed I think Truss has already been complaining about them.

The link below is todays example of this phenemenon. Councillors in Wealden refusing planning permission for development that was allocated in the plan that they approved a few years before. Local tory MP in on the act. Overturned by a planning Inspector.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/politics/appeal-decision-made-on-700-homes-on-outskirts-of-eastbourne-3860091

Viewed in this context, the Conservative party are very far from being the party of growth, they are actually a backward anti growth party.

The thing is that people want growth, but not at any price, especially if it adversely affects their environment.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1576884679923286016?t=Uxi0w_s2GNHgMhrdUVnLZg&s=19

So by a landslide 57% to 24% UK voters prioritise protecting the countryside and local residents views over building as many new houses as possible.

So way more than just over 65 owner occupiers have some NIMBY views then
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sean_F said:

darkage said:

It's a general problem across mature democracies that rent-seeking is preferred to growth. Hence, growth rates have slowed markedly since the start of the century.
    But it is the government's job to make rent seeking more difficult as time passes, yet we have the opposite. Rent seeking by older people is encouraged and working people are impoverished (relatively) while the old farts vote tax cuts on themselves and tax rises on people who aren't them.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Wait, Lanark & Hamilton is only a 9.7 point lead so that's 5 seats.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If I was in an SNP SLAB marginal yes
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Username checks out.
    I just leave that in the name to fool the burglars, nowadays I'm in a small town 100km away where have room for goats.
    Smart. We wouldn't want someone stealing Tokyo while you're out.
  • Options
    Not a great look for Trump or his tame judge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1577655572463292418
    There was apparently a docketing error and two still-sealed lists of potentially privileged FBI-seized MAL docs (A is gov docs & B is personal Trump docs) were briefly exposed; copy made its way to
    @ZoeTillman of Bloomberg who published them last night ...
    ...The "medical documents" plural that Judge Cannon cited as part of the justification for imposing a special counsel appears to be the letter the Trump campaign made public in 2016 claiming Trump was in excellent health

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited October 2022
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

“This afternoon we should see the first post-speech polling and I would be very surprised if perceptions have moved.”

Personally I wouldn’t like to call wether it’s temporary polling change or largely permanent - John Curtice said the same yesterday.

It could prove like how a currency drops dramatically in hours, doesn’t jump back in hours but regains ground over days and weeks.

In Truss first week there was not dramatic movement on her coronation, she was largely seen as doing okay at PMQs, indeed the polls were showing uptick in her favour. Yes, they were. The more dramatic nature of the collapse seems to linked to one budget, in fact one budget measure which is now gone, so gradual recovery could happen.

Osborne had a “uber bad pasty budget” where Tory position was eroded to give Labour big leads, partly because the UKIP position was improved by the budget, but ultimately that bad budget drop unwound too.

If you are going to bet on poll movement, a gradual unwinding of the collapse (though not completely!) is the smart bet I think.

The problem that Truss and Kwarteng face is that they will have to announce swingeing public service cuts in November.

That, surely, is why they wanted to pass the tax cuts and the abolition of the 45% tax band first - because cutting taxes for the richest 1% while cutting benefits for the majority would have been completely untenable.

Hence the OBR omission. And the core vote strategy of tax cuts for the middle classes.

If Labour is 25% ahead now, how far will it be ahead in November when public sector pay freezes and service cuts are announced?

It is a shame as Truss's approach is really the only way that Brexit makes sense.
    As Jacob Rees Mogg said: Brexit makes sense if you take a 50 year viewpoint (he was unwise to do so, albeit correct)

That’s how long it might take to a show a real net benefit. But it will show that benefit. Let’s reconvene in 2066
    Yes let's have my kids living under this shit for most of their working lives and then we can decide. No.

"In ten years’ time we’ll look through the kitchen window of renewed prosperity, watch the laughing Remainers playing football with our smiling Brexit child, and we’ll quietly sip tea from a Union Jack mug, and we’ll think: best thing I ever did."

Even Brexiteers now know that Brexit is an enormous clusterf*ck. The narrative has changed. SKS will align more closely to the EU over the next Parliament with an avenue to rejoin in the subsequent Parliament. Yes, in 50 years things will be much better, primarily because we would be back at the heart of the EU.
    The case for the EU is that keeps this country left wing and liberal. That assumption might not hold good in coming years.
    No, it hampers extremism of both left and right. One of its lesser sung virtues.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    If Kwarteng is serious, he won't give in to this pressure. The taxpayer shouldn't be on the hook for high LTV mortgages.

https://news.sky.com/story/lenders-push-kwarteng-to-extend-mortgage-guarantee-scheme-12713430

Sky News understands that executives from major banks and Nationwide, Britain's biggest building society, will ask Kwasi Kwarteng to commit to renewing the Mortgage Guarantee Scheme, which is scheduled to expire at the end of the year.

Launched in the spring of 2021, the scheme gives lenders an option to underwrite through the government the losses incurred on mortgages above 80% of the purchase price of a property.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not a great look for Trump or his tame judge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1577655572463292418
    There was apparently a docketing error and two still-sealed lists of potentially privileged FBI-seized MAL docs (A is gov docs & B is personal Trump docs) were briefly exposed; copy made its way to
    @ZoeTillman of Bloomberg who published them last night ...
    ...The "medical documents" plural that Judge Cannon cited as part of the justification for imposing a special counsel appears to be the letter the Trump campaign made public in 2016 claiming Trump was in excellent health

The "healthiest person ever to stand for president" if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    Hello_CloudsHello_Clouds Posts: 97
    edited October 2022
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

The case for the EU is that keeps this country left wing and liberal. That assumption might not hold good in coming years.
    The USA has always supported the EU, EC, EEC. Of the 27 EU member states, 21 also belong to NATO, a number that may rise to 23 if Finnish and Swedish applications to join NATO are successful.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

No, it hampers extremism of both left and right. One of its lesser sung virtues.
    Italy? Poland? Hungary? Greece?

It doesn't stop the far left or far right coming to power even if as in Poland or Greece it then tries to control those governments
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Our nephew is buying an apartment in Manchester "off plan".

Seemed like a great idea at the time, but now he needs to sort out a mortgage...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

If Kwarteng is serious, he won't give in to this pressure. The taxpayer shouldn't be on the hook for high LTV mortgages.

https://news.sky.com/story/lenders-push-kwarteng-to-extend-mortgage-guarantee-scheme-12713430

Sky News understands that executives from major banks and Nationwide, Britain's biggest building society, will ask Kwasi Kwarteng to commit to renewing the Mortgage Guarantee Scheme, which is scheduled to expire at the end of the year.

Launched in the spring of 2021, the scheme gives lenders an option to underwrite through the government the losses incurred on mortgages above 80% of the purchase price of a property.

Then let's take the taxpayer off the hook for guaranteeing defined benefit pension schemes as well.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Taz said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

We’re not rejoining in at least the next couple of decades. EFTA, however, is a definite possibility.
    Why would the EU have us back given we have been nothing but trouble for quite a while.
    They’ll have us back on the condition that we’re not treating them as a revolving door and we’re committed for the long term.

This means signing up to the whole project which will mean no opt outs and likely Euro adoption.

That is why rejoin is not yet a feasible option and won’t be for some time, if ever.
    Despite not being a fan of much in the EU I would dearly love if we adopted the Euro. Living in Spain it would provide a much needed certainty wrt my monthly Uk pensions!
  • Options
    "Evacuated" ?

All #Kherson schoolchildren will be evacuated to Crimea apparently today
    https://mobile.twitter.com/niktwick/status/1577941657030377472

Abducted/illegally deported for the vast majority.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

I am shocked, what are the odds of this.

A Home Office immigration official has been suspended after posting “vile” and “abhorrent” racist content on a WhatsApp group with former police officers.

Rob Lewis, a former Metropolitan Police officer, is alleged to have created the group chat, which also included other ex-Met officers.

The messages, uncovered by the BBC’s Newsnight, allegedly included racist and derogatory comments about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and featured jokes about the government’s Rwanda policy and the recent flooding in Pakistan, in which almost 1,700 died.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/home-office-suspends-former-met-police-officer-rob-lewis-over-racist-and-vile-whatsapp-group-pq3bvr2h3

If The Met was any other organisation it would have been proscribed.

How can an organisation monitor and control what takes place on a private WhatsApp group? If they can't monitor and control it then how can they be responsible for it?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

Yep - that will keep house prices high - love to know how many first-time buyers have a 20% deposit...

While he needs to pull the scheme, it isn't going to do anything to help the housing market especially when interest rates are already destroying purchasing power (see my post earlier today where 2 years ago £1000 a month gave you £260,000 to spend and now it gives you £150,000) due to interest costs..
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Nigelb said:

"Evacuated" ?

And/or human shields to stop the bridge being blown up. Russia, of course, continue to deliberately target civilian property. They are despicable.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,594
    HYUFD said:

Although harder to ignore the SNP if they’re the Official Opposition, the Tories having been wiped out!

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Being able to help your children with their deposit wasn't in your list. You created a list and said these people help their children with their deposit. I pointed out:

a) it was a ridiculous list because it excluded the majority of people
    b) I was in the list but can't do so. Most people don't have £200,000 lying around doing nothing even in that list. If they did they would be paying off mortgages or if retired needing it to live on

You have jumped to assumption after assumption about me which has been wrong. I mean you have done so in every post. Stupidly I have responded with corrections which gives away far to much about me. However I will do it again. You have assumed I was unable to help my children when they needed a deposit for a house in London/Home Counties. Not true as neither do yet and neither live here, although I wouldn't be able to without depleting my cash convertible assets significantly. My daughter has just left Uni and is in rented accommodation in Manchester and is in no position to think about buying a house yet. My son has free accommodation provided by Cambridge University as he and his girlfriend are now technically employees of the Uni. I moved them in yesterday.
    The discussion was about upper middle class parents with high incomes in London and the Home counties helping their children with
    deposits. A category which by 40 and now you did not fall into by your own choice
    This is where a discussion with you gets frustrating. You set a category where you said all these people helped their children (upper middle class) and I pointed out they all didn't. I also pointed out most people aren't in that category.

You did not limit your group to 'only upper middle class people who help their children' with a deposit because that is obviously and patently true. You just said 'upper middle class'

It is like saying 'All brunettes are brunette' Obviously that is true.

You also said it was my choice. It wasn't entirely. I suppose I could have got a job that paid a DB pension at a local authority or as a civil servant so in that case it is my choice (and I would be a lot poorer), but otherwise like most people now I have to plan my retirement and it depends largely on capital I have which is tied up. Once I reach 80 I might feel confident in releasing it, but not now when I might need it in my old age and I couldn't anyway without downsizing. Again like most people who don't have DB pensions.
    Actually most upper middle class parents in London and the Home counties do help their children with deposits.

The fact you no longer fall into that income category is your own choice
    Here we go with those assumptions again. I am retired. I have no income except for my state pension. I live off my assets. This is not uncommon these days. Are you suggesting I should carry on working for the rest of my life and even if I did it doesn't suddenly magic up £200k in readies. So again not really my choice unless you do expect me to work until I drop. Up until a few years ago my income and my wife's income was significant. We don't all live in this fairytale world you seem to think exists.

This is a bizarre conversation because by most people's standards, even 'upper middle class home counties' standards we are rich. I actually could raise that amount fairly easily, but then I would have to release capital to live and I don't know what I might need in 20 years time to live on. We don't all have big DB pensions that ensure we are going to be ok later in life. We have to plan for that.
  • Options
    Credit ratings agency Fitch cuts the outlook on the UK's rating from "stable" to "negative" following the mini Budget. Rating itself remains AA-
    Says the change came despite the 45p u-turn. Adds that @KwasiKwarteng's comments abt further tax cuts contributed to the decision

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1577777431674494984

Chancellor still engaged in destroying the nation's credit.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Point of order: credit ratings agencies showed themselves to be less than fantastic during and ahead of the financial crisis.

That's not to defend the Chancellor or Truss.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,092
    AlistairM said:

Nigelb said:

"Evacuated" ?

And/or human shields to stop the bridge being blown up. Russia, of course, continue to deliberately target civilian property. They are despicable.
    No, Russia has been abducting hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian children and given them to Russian families to raise in Russia. It's Putin's plan to wipe out Ukrainian identity and boost Russia's demographics. Thoroughly evil.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

A Home Office immigration official has been suspended after posting “vile” and “abhorrent” racist content on a WhatsApp group with former police officers.

Rob Lewis, a former Metropolitan Police officer, is alleged to have created the group chat, which also included other ex-Met officers.

The messages, uncovered by the BBC’s Newsnight, allegedly included racist and derogatory comments about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and featured jokes about the government’s Rwanda policy and the recent flooding in Pakistan, in which almost 1,700 died.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/home-office-suspends-former-met-police-officer-rob-lewis-over-racist-and-vile-whatsapp-group-pq3bvr2h3

How can an organisation monitor and control what takes place on a private WhatsApp group? If they can't monitor and control it then how can they be responsible for it?
    They are responsible for employing the people behind the WhatsApp group.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Point of order: credit ratings agencies showed themselves to be less than fantastic during and ahead of the financial crisis.

That's not to defend the Chancellor or Truss.

Possibly the most chilling words in The Big Short:

"They'll go to Moody's. Right down the block."
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Talking of Planning, the case of West Oxfordshire District Council v Clarkson, sounds like it’s going to be fun to follow!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/06/jeremy-clarkson-diddly-squat-farm-west-oxfordshire-district/
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Fake news.

My father got on the mortgage because at the time I was a callow 21 year who was just about to start his first job after university.

My grandparents were the ones who helped me with the deposit and the furnishings.

But you miss the point, I was lucky, I'm an only child, and the only grandchild of both grandparents, so I was the only apple in so many eyes.

Most people have siblings and cousins, and no matter how wealthy/middle class your parents, there's not enough resources to help those families get on the property.

True conservatism is about making sure we are a home owning (and share owning) democracy.

Right now the Tory party is making it harder for us to become a home owning democracy, and that means the party is utterly borked for generations.

So your high earning professional father still helped you buy your first property in London then. You also received support from your grandparents too to buy in the capital.

The Tories have just won their biggest landslide since Thatcher by winning seats in the North and Midlands and Wales where average earners can afford to buy without assistance. Even if they lost London where most people now rent.

Just Truss has now lost the redwall seats Boris won too as well as London with her policies seen as tax cuts for the rich mainly and cuts to public services for the rest

As TSE said he isn't typical. What bit of 'I was lucky ' did you not get?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    edited October 2022

AlistairM said:

Is the Met responsible when the Met Pol Model Railway Society crashes their Hornby-Dublo Empress of Britain and scratches the paintwork?

[edited] The alleged messages are infinitely more serious - but I can't see that the underlying logic is different, except that in the event that they are contrary to reputable and lawful conduct of a police officer (so the Met can only get involved retrospectively).

Maybe a copyright/brandingname usage issue, too.
  • Options
    WillG said:

AlistairM said:

Nigelb said:

"Evacuated" ?

No, Russia has been abducting hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian children and given them to Russian families to raise in Russia. It's Putin's plan to wipe out Ukrainian identity and boost Russia's demographics. Thoroughly evil.
    Indeed, a despicable war crime by the Russians.

I’ll be careful exactly how much I say, but my wife has tried to make enquiries with Ukranian authorities about war orphans, and the answer is that there are very few, because many children - hundreds of thousands - have been abducted and deported to Russia.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Although harder to ignore the SNP if they’re the Official Opposition, the Tories having been wiped out!

Specially for HYUFD from Prof C as cited:

!Meanwhile, suggestions that the pageantry following the death of the Queen would undermine support for independence are not upheld. At 49 per cent, the level of support is the highest YouGov have recorded since August 2020, when most polls were reporting an increase in support for independence in the wake of the first phase of the Covid-19 pandemic. That said, the figure is not dissimilar to that in a number of other recent polls.
    The higher level of support for independence is also reflected in more backing for holding a referendum at some point in the next five years, albeit that Yes supporters are still far from sure a ballot should necessarily happen next year."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

Italy? Poland? Hungary? Greece?

It doesn't stop the far left or far right coming to power even if as in Poland or Greece it then tries to control those governments
    Yes, it hampers their plans, constrains them - that's what I mean.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If I was in an SNP SLAB marginal yes
    Not many of those, though. Which makes the point.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Sandpit said:

WillG said:

AlistairM said:

Nigelb said:

"Evacuated" ?

I’ll be careful exactly how much I say, but my wife has tried to make enquiries with Ukranian authorities about war orphans, and the answer is that there are very few, because many children - hundreds of thousands - have been abducted and deported to Russia.
    One reason why any eventual peace is going to be so tricky to broker. Enforcing the return of these children is going to be hard.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Is the Met responsible when the Met Pol Model Railway Society crashes their Hornby-Dublo Empress of Britain and scratches the paintwork?

[edited] The alleged messages are infinitely more serious - but I can't see that the underlying logic is different, except that in the event that they are contrary to reputable and lawful conduct of a police officer (so the Met can only get involved retrospectively).

I don’t think we want people who are abhorrently racist working for the Met or at the Home Office. Maybe those employers could do more to vet potential employees or to make it clear to existing employees what is acceptable?

• Options
    Good one here from the UnHerd drivelpipe. "Welcome to the Tory apocalypse":

https://unherd.com/2022/10/welcome-to-the-tory-apocalypse/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=9ca7fff288&mc_eid=12cf4fd1d6

Tons of vivacious wordsmithery in it, eg here about Mogg -

He floated around the fringe like a page torn from a Max Beerbohm essay, bantering about sending his children up chimneys, and thundering about a “return to common law principles”. The members loved him, they have always loved him, and as ever, they confused his impotent sarcasm for Wildean drollery.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Sandpit said:

WillG said:

AlistairM said:

Nigelb said:

"Evacuated" ?

The problem is that they have kidnapped hundreds of thousands of children from Ukraine, at the same time as losing potentially hundreds of thousands of young men in the current 'mobilisation'. So as a way of trying to halt demographic decline, the war is a disaster. Russia feels like a nation in a death spiral. It's another reason why the British can hold their heads high about their own approach to decolonisation.

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Username checks out.
    nice way to kid them.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

< Corporate_IT_Guy>
    Assume that *everything* you do or say with your work phone, is being logged and monitored. If you’re an organisation with IT security people, assume that the logs are being proactively investigated on a daily basis, and reports sent to senior management.
    < /Corporate_IT_Guy>
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    It might have not got much attention in our media but there’s a chance the US could lift some sanctions on Venezuela primarily in the oil sector .

This would be essentially a two fingered salute to OPEC and would help lower prices .

Some might have moral reservations but what’s the difference between dealing with an oppressive Saudi regime and dealing with Maduro?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

I don’t think we want people who are abhorrently racist working for the Met or at the Home Office. Maybe those employers could do more to vet potential employees or to make it clear to existing employees what is acceptable?

Quite so.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

< Corporate_IT_Guy>
    Assume that *everything* you do or say with your work phone, is being logged and monitored. If you’re an organisation with IT security people, assume that the logs are being proactively investigated on a daily basis, and reports sent to senior management.
    < /Corporate_IT_Guy>
    Quite. I have had to remind people of that several times. But are those work phones?

So the matter comes under a different heading.
  • Options
    Prepare for blackouts this winter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63155827
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    BREAKING: National Grid warns households could face three-hour power cuts this winter if Russia shuts off gas supplies and UK has a cold snap.
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1578008175923658756
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

< CorporateITGuy >
    < /CorporateITGuy>
    As far as I understand it, this is a whatsapp group of ex police officers on their private phones. One guy was part of it and leaked the messages which is how all this came to light.

I always thought these whatsapp groups are toxic. I keep getting added to them but with people I don't know, who send me stuff I don't want to see.

I've always assumed that work spy on you, so you'd have to be really stupid to do anything like this on a work phone or laptop. However, I thought there are some privacy laws about continuous logging of activity?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

What this data set shows is that if you ask questions, however simplistic, lots of people will give you an answer. It would be futile and meaningless to translate that into how any group of people X will feel about any actual situation Y.

To govern is to choose. That is what governing does. It requires old fashioned virtues like wisdom, understanding complexity, courage, principle etc.

That people want contradictory things and outcomes that compete with and negate each other is the normal, default setting for complex fairly liberal societies. Drilling down into those realities confirm the realities but resolve nothing. Only excellence in governing has any chance of doing that.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

< Corporate_IT_Guy>
    < /Corporate_IT_Guy>
    Quite. I have had to remind people of that several times. But are those work phones?

So the matter comes under a different heading.
    If not work phones, then yes, slightly different.

Remember that everyone in a messaging group can see all the messages in a group. If that group contains people who work with you, be prepared for someone to complain to your employer about messages they dislike - especially if managers are in the group.

Also remember that screenshots of messages can be forwarded to people outside the group, with your name visible!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

What this data set shows is that if you ask questions, however simplistic, lots of people will give you an answer. It would be futile and meaningless to translate that into how any group of people X will feel about any actual situation Y.

To govern is to choose. That is what governing does. It requires old fashioned virtues like wisdom, understanding complexity, courage, principle etc.

That people want contradictory things and outcomes that compete with and negate each other is the normal, default setting for complex fairly liberal societies. Drilling down into those realities confirm the realities but resolve nothing. Only excellence in governing has any chance of doing that.

Priotrity should be given to the views of local residents is deliciously ambiguous.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: National Grid warns households could face three-hour power cuts this winter if Russia shuts off gas supplies and UK has a cold snap.

Obvious outcome is obvious.

Test your generators...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Isn't it bringing the institution into disrepute? Seems an awful lot like it imo.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Malmesbury said: "They [the Japanese] have a tiny birth rate and the immigration rate is negligible."

In recent years, the Japanese government has been trying to increase immigration, with some success:
    "In 2020, the number of foreigners in Japan was 2,887,116. This includes 325,000 Filipinos, many of whom are married to Japanese nationals and possessing some degree of Japanese ancestry,[43][44] 208,538 Brazilians, the majority possessing some degree of Japanese ancestry,[44] 778,112 Chinese, 448,053 Vietnamese and 426,908 South Koreans. Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Filipinos and Brazilians account for about 77% of foreign residents in Japan."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Japan

Now, it is true that very few foreigners become Japanese citizens, and that many of the recent immigrants are temporary workers, there for a few years, but they still need housing. (It's my impression that the Japanese government has made a special effort to attract Vietnamese for low-level tech jobs, and Filipinos for jobs in nursing homes. And it probably isn't coincidental that those workers come from two nations that have disputes with the ChiComs.)

(Two more demographic tidbits: The Japanese prefecture with the highest birth rate is the most rural, Okinawa. Married Japanese women have, if I recall correctly, a total fertility rate of approximately 1.8. But so many women never marry that the national TFR is estimated at around 1.36. And births to unmarried women are still rare.)

• Options
    "Both the Prime Minister and the Conservative Party are trapped with nowhere to go. The only difference is that the Conservative Party knows it."

Another brilliant column by @DavidGauke on the post-conference landscape. https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2022/10/david-gauke-conservatives-trapped-what-now
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

AlistairM said:

I still find this a bit Orwellian. If these are WhatsApp groups among friends, out of work time, what law is being broken?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    While I can agree with this, if said racist behaves impeccably in their work, what offence is committed? We stray dangerously into thought crime areas.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Our nephew is buying an apartment in Manchester "off plan".

Seemed like a great idea at the time, but now he needs to sort out a mortgage...

Shit, has he looked at the creditworthiness of the builder?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Specially for HYUFD from Prof C as cited:

!Meanwhile, suggestions that the pageantry following the death of the Queen would undermine support for independence are not upheld. At 49 per cent, the level of support is the highest YouGov have recorded since August 2020, when most polls were reporting an increase in support for independence in the wake of the first phase of the Covid-19 pandemic. That said, the figure is not dissimilar to that in a number of other recent polls.
    The higher level of support for independence is also reflected in more backing for holding a referendum at some point in the next five years, albeit that Yes supporters are still far from sure a ballot should necessarily happen next year."
    The more astonishing thing is that despite Brexit and PM Truss Yes can still not even get to 50% and not even 40% want indyref2 next year
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Fake news.

So your high earning professional father still helped you buy your first property in London then. You also received support from your grandparents too to buy in the capital.

The Tories have just won their biggest landslide since Thatcher by winning seats in the North and Midlands and Wales where average earners can afford to buy without assistance. Even if they lost London where most people now rent.

Just Truss has now lost the redwall seats Boris won too as well as London with her policies seen as tax cuts for the rich mainly and cuts to public services for the rest

As TSE said he isn't typical. What bit of 'I was lucky ' did you not get?
    Well as I said unless you are a high earner or have wealthy parents and grandparents like TSE, don't move to London if you want to buy a property before 40
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

Test your generators...
    The generators you all bought back in the summer, when it was easy to find them.

I mean, you did all buy generators back in the summer, didn’t you?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chapeau to Dom Cummings.

She really is properly bonkers.

Indeed. D Cummings rightly said L Truss was bonkers because aiming to reconquer Crimea meant nuclear war, WW3. Which half the main posters here too are also pushing for.
    Really? I assumed it was because she thought he was a creepy liar who didn't have a clue what he was doing and told him so.

Both would be correct, of course. Truss is clearly bonkers and as for Cummings...

As for Cummings on Crimea, he's long been a Russophile. Indeed, he's so blatant in his pro-Russian stance he's even been accused of being an FSB agent (not very convincingly, I might add). That he should be arguing against trying to take some of the land they've nicked back off them is no surprise at all.
    Don't you care what people want who actually live in Crimea? I ask because you don't mention them. Or is it just that Khrushchev - the man who said if he was English he'd vote Tory - transferred the territory to the Ukrainian SSR in 1954 and therefore it must be good to use military force to eject the Russian state from it now?

Russophobia is far more of a danger in Britain than Russophilia - although, having said that, for many rightwing patriotic "sash windows and cricket are best" droolers the fact that the foreign country in this instance is Russia doesn't matter much. They'd have the same attitude if it was France or Spain or Ireland.
    When they were asked, in the one time they were asked in a legal referendum, they wanted to stay with Ukraine.

If they want to rejoin Russia, fine. Let them have a lawful vote on the subject. Monitored by the UN. When it has been handed back to Ukraine. And if they vote to join Russia, let that vote be respected.

I should perhaps point out that in 1954 Khrushchev was putting right an historical issue whereby Crimea had been transferred to the Russian SSR from the Ukrainian SSR in 1921 to cut it off from the Black Sea. This had been highly damaging to Crimea and not great for Ukraine. Coupled with massive ethnic cleansing on Stalin's orders in the 1940s, Crimea was in a really sorry state in 1954 and urgently needed to be transferred back to Ukraine for administrative and economic reasons. It has, therefore, been part of Ukraine for far longer than it was ever part of Russia.

You should also not confuse 'Russophobia' with 'hatred of the current fascist regime of third rate kleptocrats currently in power in Moscow.'

Incidentally of your 37 posts 36 have been about Russia, and you do seem to get very worked up about it when anyone questions the integrity of its government. May I ask why?
    Like a previous incarnation, he gets extremely upset when it is pointed out that Russia is going to lose Crimea as a result of Putin's crazy little adventure into Ukraine.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    While I can agree with this, if said racist behaves impeccably in their work, what offence is committed? We stray dangerously into thought crime areas.
    Your kidding, right?

Have you noticed the past 40 years of tension between the MPS and the various "communities". There needs to be confidence that the MPS is employing people who aren't filthy racists, no matter how good they are at helping grannies to cross the road.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Test your generators...
    The generators you all bought back in the summer, when it was easy to find them.

Got two.

Admittedly, for running moth traps, but they will do the job.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Scott_xP said:

BUT LIZ PROMISED US NO BLACKOUTS
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

Have you noticed the past 40 years of tension between the MPS and the various "communities". There needs to be confidence that the MPS is employing people who aren't filthy racists, no matter how good they are at helping grannies to cross the road.
    And I mean "Not a filthy racist" has surely got to come quite high up on the MPS recruiting policy hasn't it?
  • Options

AlistairM said:

I still find this a bit Orwellian. If these are WhatsApp groups among friends, out of work time, what law is being broken?
    Yes I agree - it sounds like it is lawful private communication by people who are not even serving police officers.
    Bit of a tricky one for Braverman - it sounds like the Home office is being a bit 'woke' in suspending the officer concerned. Perhaps the Free Speech Union will be on her case.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Topping, should David Lammy be deemed unfit to be an MP for (publicly, mind you) attacking a judge appointment for, among other things, said judge being white?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

Yes - I agree on the principal. But again - what crime has been committed?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

There’s no crime as such, it’s a employment disciplinary offence.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Test your generators...

Got two.

Crikey - how powerful are those moth traps?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

I'm not sure what crime has been committed but it's a bit well at least the trains ran on time...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"Evacuated" ?

Good reason to now take down the bridge.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

Private phones?

Windows into a man's soul territory.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Test your generators...

Got two.

They each run 2 x 165MW mercury vapour bulbs.

Yer can see 'em from space!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

Private phones?

Oh I agree completely, but HR departments, especially at large corps and in the public sector, have very wide employment terms that cover something horribly vague such as upholding the values of the institution, which they have in recent times taken to include out-of-hours posting on private message boards.

As noted upthread, one for the Free Speech Union.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

I'm not sure what crime has been committed but it's a bit well at least the trains ran on time...
    Not really. I have a colleague who shares jokes etc on whatsapp. He also gets them from his brother in law. Who works on kiddie fiddling for the West Mids police. I'm pretty sure they share the jokes around. Now most are not racist, but are usually sexist (both directions to be fair) and there is the odd irish joke, which I guess is racist. How is whatsapp like this different to blokes down the pub or at the BBQ? What happened to free speech and freedom of thought?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Did John Major excite? Still did the job well.
    That's a slightly romanticised view of Major's Premiership.

He ditched Council Tax and held it together for 1992 - which is no mean achievement. But he quickly ran into Black Wednesday after that, destroying the Government's reputation for economic competence in a similar way to now. And the rest was a weak PM, unable to articulate a clear vision, struggling to retain control of a party that had run out of steam and were mired in sleaze on their way out. Even against an improving economic climate approaching 1997, he came nowhere close to averting disaster at the ballot box.

That's not to say he isn't broadly a decent chap who has been a good EX Prime Minister. But, at the time, he didn't really do the job that well and it was a bit of a sh1tshow in all honesty.
    Major still got 41% in 1992 and even in 1997 the 30% he and the Tories got is
    more than the Truss Tories are polling now
    He fairly regularly polled in the 20s, though.

It's not impossible that the Tories aren't at their floor yet. Maybe they won't recover at all. But a bit of sober reflection rather suggests that there probably will be some reversion to the mean, and this all feels a bit like 1995.

I'm not understating the issue for the Tories - they are up sh1t creek for sure. Just saying as an historical point that it isn't completely without precedent, and Major being a kindly elder statesman figure now shouldn't detract from the fact 1992-7 was a real mess and he was a poor PM.
    It is fair to say that the polling now looks very like the polling in 1995. If we ended up with a result in 2 years time that looks very much like 1997, I would not be surprised.

On the other hand, Labour's peak polling average was back in mid 1994, and they steadily, and then rapidly, declined up to the general election - from which swingback theory evolved.

In the current run, Labour has had a slow but steady increase since 1991 which has not yet reversed, despite local ups and downs - pace the current massive spike. While it is highly likely we will see a fall from this spike, that's very different from the 1995-1997 dynamic.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Test your generators...

Got two.

I was trawling for an image of the nuremberg light shows from the 1930's but thought it would be poor taste. I see that is exactly the scale of the lights!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

Private phones?

Oh I agree completely, but HR departments, especially at large corps and in the public sector, have very wide employment terms that cover something horribly vague such as upholding the values of the institution, which they have in recent times taken to include out-of-hours posting on private message boards.

As noted upthread, one for the Free Speech Union.
    This occasion yes, although last month some ex-PC's were jailed i think for similar offences in relation to the Everard case.
  • Options
    UK to rejoin EU energy group?

Amid news of possible 3 hour blackouts this winter, h/t to @olivermiocic who spotted this in a Truss/ Czech PM readout

“Both leaders welcomed the prospect of the United Kingdom resuming participation in the North Seas Energy Cooperation group."

https://twitter.com/fpdforbes/status/1578010634377117698
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    A thread on the impact on Ukraine fortunes of the kit they have liberated from the Russians.

https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton/status/1577987967292948482/photo/1

"We've got so many trophies we don't even know what to do with them" he said. "We started off as an infantry battalion and now we are sort of becoming a mechanized battalion."
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

BUT LIZ PROMISED US NO BLACKOUTS
    But we misunderstood her.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Icarus said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    If you aren't plotting to save the next election - chances are you won't be in a position to be part of the opposition after the next election.

Currently the Tory Party are heading into terminal wipe-out territory ...
    Next May's council elections may be the tipping point. If the Conservative lose a lot of councillors then the membership may turn on those responsible.
    It is worth remembering that the 2019 locals were truly dire for the Conservatives, so they probably don't have that far to fall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_local_elections
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

AlistairM said:

Quite so.
    Your kidding, right?

Not really. I have a colleague who shares jokes etc on whatsapp. He also gets them from his brother in law. Who works on kiddie fiddling for the West Mids police. I'm pretty sure they share the jokes around. Now most are not racist, but are usually sexist (both directions to be fair) and there is the odd irish joke, which I guess is racist. How is whatsapp like this different to blokes down the pub or at the BBQ? What happened to free speech and freedom of thought?
    The risks are it is potentially permanent (screenshots) and taken out of context.

It's the difference between libel and slander - where people do silly things online that they would previously have only done down the pub and don't grasp the significant differences..
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Test your generators...

Got two.

Do you get sunburn if you stand in front of them?

For 320MW surely you would need a good size power station?
This discussion has been closed.