Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liz Truss – the Tory gift to Keir Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    NEW

Bank of England Deputy Governor Cunliffe writes to Treasury Committee..

Includes diagram showing centrality of the “fiscal event” ie mini budget to acceleration of bond yields, and “liquidity conditions were v poor”compares to US & euro, and shows impact of BoE intervention https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1577952520865021952/photo/1

The period between the mini budget and the following Wednesday saw “two daily increases in 30 year gilt yields of more than 35 basis points. The biggest daily increase before last week in the data that goes back to 2000 was 29 basis points.” BoE’s Cunliffe

“Measured over a 4 day period, the increase in 30Y gilt yields was more than twice as large as largest move since 2000, which occurred during ‘dash for cash’ in 2020. It was more than 3 times larger than any other historical move. Gilt market functioning was severely stretched”
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I see 2-year mortgages are now above 6%. I got mine Nov last year with Santander at 0.89%.

Just think of what a sledgehammer that is when it comes up to remortgaging. You can do the maths for yourself on a £200k debt. Add energy bills and inflation on top and ask how families are going to afford it. It's over an extra £1,000 a month every month.

Tories used to have a lead amongst homeowners. They won't now.

They will because the Tories will lead heavily among outright owners with no mortgage. They want higher interest rates, they care little for the impoverishment of generations below if it gets them an extra cruise per year.
    They also help with deposits for their grandchildren and children to get a house.

Typical libertarian attitude ignoring the family
    Not this one again. Most people don't inherit until their mid sixties and parents also can't afford to pay a deposit for typically 2 children out of their savings while they are still alive. Listening to More or Less yesterday, the typical first time deposit is £100,000. I have 2 children and I am by most people's standards very well off, but I can't just find £200,000 at the drop of a hat and it would be a risk to my retirement if I did. These days many/most people don't have DB pensions to live off so I need the buffer of cash, potential to pay for a care in old age.
    Simply not true. Most upper middle class parents in the home counties and London I know help their children in their 20s or 30s with a deposit for a property and that is where property prices are highest and it is most needed. North of Watford property is much more affordable to buy for those on average incomes (even if TSE for instance also got help from his dad to buy in Hallam, a relatively more expensive part of the North)
    Which part of kjh can't work out how he can afford to sub his children £100,000 has post got to do with.

Some people can afford to gift their children a substantial profit - many can't....
    I am not referring to KJH. I am referring to upper middle class parents I know, who have worked in the City, been doctors, corporate lawyers, directors of companies etc almost all of who live in London or the Home Counties and almost all of whom have given their children a deposit to buy a property.

KJH by his own admission gave up full time work in his 40s
    Yep I did (6 months after my 40th birthday), although I did set up a business which I worked at part time and then worked for the LDs and charitable causes foc and fortunately my business was successful. I am also married to a Doctor. So I actually do fall into the category you define (it is odd you think I don't as I meet every part of your definition!). But I fail to see what that has to do with anything. If anything it proves the point. I am rich by most people's standards and although I could do it, it would empty us of all our available cash (and easy to convert to cash assets) that I live on. I don't have a DB pension or annuity bringing in a regular income big enough to live on as will be the case going forward for many. Eventually I will downsize and live off that realised capital.

But I am fortunate. I note again you are referring to Upper Middle Class parents who work in the City, Doctors, Corporate Lawyers, etc

What about the dustman, nurse, social worker, call centre worker, etc who make up the vast majority of the population (like my parents (junior civil servant and payroll clerk) who live in the south. I guess they can go hang then?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

So are the lights going out this winter or not?

I think the smart answer is no one knows do they? It’s linked to the weather.

But the Tory position of not pushing energy savings very seriously looks like a bad one either way.

It is crazy. I guess one factor is the lack of gas storage, which limits the benefits of reducing usage. We don't do being prepared very well as a country.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Speculation or is something happening? If Ukraine goes here then they split the Russians. Those in Crimea and Kherson will only have the Kerch bridge for supplies.

Imagine the insane effect if Ukraine is capable of launching the third and the most powerful attack in Zaporizhia to retake Melitopol
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1577956643626688513
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chapeau to Dom Cummings.

She really is properly bonkers.

Indeed. D Cummings rightly said L Truss was bonkers because aiming to reconquer Crimea meant nuclear war, WW3. Which half the main posters here too are also pushing for.
    Really? I assumed it was because she thought he was a creepy liar who didn't have a clue what he was doing and told him so.

Both would be correct, of course. Truss is clearly bonkers and as for Cummings...

As for Cummings on Crimea, he's long been a Russophile. Indeed, he's so blatant in his pro-Russian stance he's even been accused of being an FSB agent (not very convincingly, I might add). That he should be arguing against trying to take some of the land they've nicked back off them is no surprise at all.
    Don't you care what people want who actually live in Crimea? I ask because you don't mention them. Or is it just that Khrushchev - the man who said if he was English he'd vote Tory - transferred the territory to the Ukrainian SSR in 1954 and therefore it must be good to use military force to eject the Russian state from it now?

Russophobia is far more of a danger in Britain than Russophilia - although, having said that, for many rightwing patriotic "sash windows and cricket are best" droolers the fact that the foreign country in this instance is Russia doesn't matter much. They'd have the same attitude if it was France or Spain or Ireland.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    eek said:

But the Tory position of not pushing energy savings very seriously looks like a bad one either way.

It's quite possible - I posted Ofgem's warning on Monday which you can see at https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1576872022692745216
    But the weather forcasts is for a nice warm winter 🌦
  • Options
    Finally there is a double Conservative by-election following the retirement of Lord Astor of Hever and the death of the Earl of Home.

The election will be held on 20th October with the electorate being the existing 43 herediary conservative peers. Voting is by STV. We currently have 22 candidates.

The only candidate standing in this election who is not standing in the earlier whole house election is Lord Biddulph. The two candidates elected in the earlier byelection will not be on the ballot paper for this by-election.

Biddulph, L.
    A new King, a new area, the work of the House of Lords continues. I am particularly interested in the economy and human rights.

Further details of all the by-elections can be found on https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/offices/lords/house-of-lords-external-communications/by-elections/
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

I don't know if the Tory press office are taking a day off today but...

Sadiq Khan to @LBC: "If your obsession is growth the easiest way, the quickest way, to get growth is to join the single market...

"By joining the single market, you increase growth almost overnight."

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1577954091518631936

That's dishonest and I'm tired of that claim just being put out there as an "easy solution". You cannot just join the single market overnight as Sadiq claims.

Yes, we're already pretty aligned but it would still require coming to an agreement which would take at minimum a couple of years by which time this crisis will have played out.

I'm not even going to go onto the unpopularity of the idea that the world's sixth largest economy would have no say in much of the goods and services rules that it has to implement and follow.

It's not going to happen, so the pro-SM diehards like Sadiq should engage with whatever SKS is planning as a relationship with the EU rather than head in the clouds/sand because I want a better relationship with the EU too, but I'm realistic as to how far we can politically go.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Alistair said:

Rough Scottish Seat Prediction:
    SNP - 49 (+1)
    Labour - 7 (+6)
    Lib Dems - 3 (-1)
    Tories lose all 6 Scottish Seats.

Labour is coming home

Lib Dems benefit from the collapse of the Tory vote the most, I woild imagine they dont drop amy seats and could easily pick 1 (or more, need the get the spreadsheet out).

Of course my thinking is based on old boundaries so many notnsurvive updated constituency lines.
    An understanding of the new boundaries is crucial, especially when assessing Scottish Lib Dem prospects. The new boundaries are a nightmare for them: Scotland only loses two seats in total (cf Wales), but both of them are SLD losses.

On the new boundaries, the same polls give:

SNP 52 seats (+4)
    SLab 3 seats (+2)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)

(YouGov/The Times; SNP45, Lab31, Con12, LD7; and Savanta ComRes/The Scotsman; SNP46, Lab30, Con15, LD8)

The new boundaries are incredibly cruel to the Unionist parties.

Where you are correct is that SCon to SLD tactical unwind is going to be humongous. It is profoundly unlikely to gain them any seats, but may well give them some stunning second places in eg the North East and the Borders.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW

Includes diagram showing centrality of the “fiscal event” ie mini budget to acceleration of bond yields, and “liquidity conditions were v poor”compares to US & euro, and shows impact of BoE intervention https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1577952520865021952/photo/1

The period between the mini budget and the following Wednesday saw “two daily increases in 30 year gilt yields of more than 35 basis points. The biggest daily increase before last week in the data that goes back to 2000 was 29 basis points.” BoE’s Cunliffe

“Measured over a 4 day period, the increase in 30Y gilt yields was more than twice as large as largest move since 2000, which occurred during ‘dash for cash’ in 2020. It was more than 3 times larger than any other historical move. Gilt market functioning was severely stretched”

“mini budget to acceleration of bond yields‘

To be very honest, the trajectory already seemed determinedly Moving On Up for a very long time, you have to concede that?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I see 2-year mortgages are now above 6%. I got mine Nov last year with Santander at 0.89%.

Just think of what a sledgehammer that is when it comes up to remortgaging. You can do the maths for yourself on a £200k debt. Add energy bills and inflation on top and ask how families are going to afford it. It's over an extra £1,000 a month every month.

They will because the Tories will lead heavily among outright owners with no mortgage. They want higher interest rates, they care little for the impoverishment of generations below if it gets them an extra cruise per year.
    They also help with deposits for their grandchildren and children to get a house.

Not this one again. Most people don't inherit until their mid sixties and parents also can't afford to pay a deposit for typically 2 children out of their savings while they are still alive. Listening to More or Less yesterday, the typical first time deposit is £100,000. I have 2 children and I am by most people's standards very well off, but I can't just find £200,000 at the drop of a hat and it would be a risk to my retirement if I did. These days many/most people don't have DB pensions to live off so I need the buffer of cash, potential to pay for a care in old age.
    Simply not true. Most upper middle class parents in the home counties and London I know help their children in their 20s or 30s with a deposit for a property and that is where property prices are highest and it is most needed. North of Watford property is much more affordable to buy for those on average incomes (even if TSE for instance also got help from his dad to buy in Hallam, a relatively more expensive part of the North)
    Which part of kjh can't work out how he can afford to sub his children £100,000 has post got to do with.

Some people can afford to gift their children a substantial profit - many can't....
    I am not referring to KJH. I am referring to upper middle class parents I know, who have worked in the City, been doctors, corporate lawyers, directors of companies etc almost all of who live in London or the Home Counties and almost all of whom have given their children a deposit to buy a property.

Yep I did (6 months after my 40th birthday), although I did set up a business which I worked at part time and then worked for the LDs and charitable causes foc and fortunately my business was successful. I am also married to a Doctor. So I actually do fall into the category you define (it is odd you think I don't as I meet every part of your definition!). But I fail to see what that has to do with anything. If anything it proves the point. I am rich by most people's standards and although I could do it, it would empty us of all our available cash (and easy to convert to cash assets) that I live on. I don't have a DB pension or annuity bringing in a regular income big enough to live on as will be the case going forward for many. Eventually I will downsize and live off that realised capital.

But I am fortunate. I note again you are referring to Upper Middle Class parents who work in the City, Doctors, Corporate Lawyers, etc

What about the dustman, nurse, social worker, call centre worker, etc who make up the vast majority of the population (like my parents (junior civil servant and payroll clerk) who live in the suoth. I guess they can go hang then?
    On another forum I read there is a story about the slow death of a firm in the South West.

Firstly they were unable to find local warehouse staff now they can't find local middle management because although the pay isn't great everyone locally is working and no-one with suitable expertise / qualifications is able to move into the area for the £60,000 that is being offered...

And that isn't 1 role it's about 4 at the moment with another 6-8 approaching retirement in the next few years. High house prices are going to destroy many companies because it's impossible to find qualified local staff...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,985

Alistair said:

SNP - 49 (+1)
    Labour - 7 (+6)
    Lib Dems - 3 (-1)

Labour is coming home

Lib Dems benefit from the collapse of the Tory vote the most, I woild imagine they dont drop amy seats and could easily pick 1 (or more, need the get the spreadsheet out).

Of course my thinking is based on old boundaries so many notnsurvive updated constituency lines.
    An understanding of the new boundaries is crucial, especially when assessing Scottish Lib Dem prospects. The new boundaries are a nightmare for them: Scotland only loses two seats in total (cf Wales), but both of them are SLD losses.

SNP 52 seats (+4)
    SLab 3 seats (+2)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)

(YouGov/The Times; SNP45, Lab31, Con12, LD7; and Savanta ComRes/The Scotsman; SNP46, Lab30, Con15, LD8)

Where you are correct is that SCon to SLD tactical unwind is going to be humongous. It is profoundly unlikely to gain them any seats, but may well give them some stunning second places in eg the North East and the Borders.
    On current boundaries on the Scotland in Union poll Labour would gain 10 SNP seats
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Icarus said:

Oh dear, Conservative Home seems to have twigged that Growth, Growth, Growth is pretty meaningless to voters. https://tinyurl.com/cdvpzrpx

Even if Growth magically happened, which is unlikely because of increased Interest rates and falling demand, it would not be measurable by the time of the next General election.

They also seem to be figuring out that Brexit has not been all that was promised and no sunnily-lit uplands beckon... :D
  • Options
    Phil said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss wants the party to split?

Team Truss, for their part, argue that the Prime Minister’s problem is that her party is packed full of ‘social democrat’ fainthearts who are running frightened from real conservatism
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/crash-course-how-the-truss-revolution-came-off-the-road

Real Conservativism is not pure libertarianism Team Truss. Macmillan or Disraeli for example were hardly capitalist in tooth and claw but still traditional Tories
    Libertarian Conservatism is a decent chunk of the UK voter political spectrum, but it’s not big enough to achieve a majority in the House.

All parties are coalitions of interest groups that agree to bury their differences in the interests of getting some of what they want out of the system. That Truss doesn’t seem to understand this & thinks that her brand of Conservatism is the only one that matters is telling.
    Indeed, even the top 10% of income earners, let alone the top 1% will only get you to the LDs score at the last general election and they, if they are socially liberal, are the voters most likely to back libertarianism. Ultra low taxes and not that bothered about public services they rarely use. However they are nowhere near enough for a majority
  • Options

To be very honest, the trajectory already seemed determinedly Moving On Up for a very long time, you have to concede that?

“On Wednesday 28 September the intraday range of the yield on 30 year gilts of 127 basis points was higher than the annual range for 30 year gilts in all but 4 of the last 27 years”

Ie gilts (UK 30Y Govt borrowing) moved more in a day than they have in 23 of the past 27 YEARS…
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

ydoethur said:

Chapeau to Dom Cummings.

Indeed. D Cummings rightly said L Truss was bonkers because aiming to reconquer Crimea meant nuclear war, WW3. Which half the main posters here too are also pushing for.
    Really? I assumed it was because she thought he was a creepy liar who didn't have a clue what he was doing and told him so.

Both would be correct, of course. Truss is clearly bonkers and as for Cummings...

As for Cummings on Crimea, he's long been a Russophile. Indeed, he's so blatant in his pro-Russian stance he's even been accused of being an FSB agent (not very convincingly, I might add). That he should be arguing against trying to take some of the land they've nicked back off them is no surprise at all.
    Don't you care what people want who actually live in Crimea? I ask because you don't mention them. Or is it just that Khrushchev - the man who said if he was English he'd vote Tory - transferred the territory to the Ukrainian SSR in 1954 and therefore it must be good to use military force to eject the Russian state from it now?

Russophobia is far more of a danger in Britain than Russophilia - although, having said that, for many rightwing patriotic "sash windows and cricket are best" droolers the fact that the foreign country in this instance is Russia doesn't matter much. They'd have the same attitude if it was France or Spain or Ireland.
    When they were asked, in the one time they were asked in a legal referendum, they wanted to stay with Ukraine.

If they want to rejoin Russia, fine. Let them have a lawful vote on the subject. Monitored by the UN. When it has been handed back to Ukraine. And if they vote to join Russia, let that vote be respected.

I should perhaps point out that in 1954 Khrushchev was putting right an historical issue whereby Crimea had been transferred to the Russian SSR from the Ukrainian SSR in 1921 to cut it off from the Black Sea. This had been highly damaging to Crimea and not great for Ukraine. Coupled with massive ethnic cleansing on Stalin's orders in the 1940s, Crimea was in a really sorry state in 1954 and urgently needed to be transferred back to Ukraine for administrative and economic reasons. It has, therefore, been part of Ukraine for far longer than it was ever part of Russia.

You should also not confuse 'Russophobia' with 'hatred of the current fascist regime of third rate kleptocrats currently in power in Moscow.'

Incidentally of your 37 posts 36 have been about Russia, and you do seem to get very worked up about it when anyone questions the integrity of its government. May I ask why?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,175

Tories believe in the market. Energy prices have gone up for many people (not me yet, until Dec). They will be reducing the demand. Blankets on the sofa, turning down the thermostat etc. By not having a campaign, as such, the government are not being the bad guy telling you to use less energy (while no doubt having Westminster heated to 25 deg C, and lights on all the time). Makes sense to me.

Some people do run homes at absurd temperatures. Even on the BBC yesterday they were at a typical house and the thermostat was sat at 23 deg C.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449

sbjme19 said:

I find the R&W regional figures rather puzzling. I'd expect Truss to be doing much worse in Wales and London but in fact she's doing worse in the very leave/red wall areas. Or is it that she was so low in London anyway that it couldn't fall much further?

I hope it's worse in Leave/Red Wall areas because finally, finally, people are beginning to accept that the herds of unicorns they were promised if they voted for Brexit have vanished forever, to be replaced by the bitter reality of being screwed, yet again, by the Tories.

People aren't daft. They know they were conned. It's taken a bit longer than I expected but I think we're there now.
    And that “con” as you have called it has doomed the Tories for a generation.

They had a golden opportunity laid out before them after 2019 - they had just brought into the fold a huge raft of seats that had never had a Tory MP before. That was the time to solidify those gains and refine Conservatism for the 21st century. If they had gotten it right, they could have fundamentally solidified an electoral coalition to see them, if not in government, retaining a firm bedrock of support for the next 2 to 3 decades.

But the party proved itself fundamentally incapable of understanding that change (ironic given the name) and doubled down on the old fashioned Tory bingo sheet. The election of Truss and her tick box conference speech (low tax, bigger slice of the cake for all, less government - check check check), just demonstrates this.

This is why they deserve to lose the red wall. I do rather fear by missing this opportunity they have doomed themselves to a long time in the wilderness. People will not make the same mistake twice.
  • Options
    The question asked in Birmingham: how does this all end?

@spectator column on the four scenarios being war-gamed by MPs 👇

1. Truss fights on
    2. Caretaker PM
    3. The Boris restoration
    4. Ready for Rishi

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-it-be-rishi-by-christmas
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,571
    "John Fetterman’s Lead In Pennsylvania Is Tightening — And So Are Democrats’ Chances In The Senate
    By Nathaniel Rakich"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fetterman-oz-polls/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,076
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What about the dustman, nurse, social worker, call centre worker, etc who make up the vast majority of the population (like my parents (junior civil servant and payroll clerk) who live in the south. I guess they can go hang then?
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I made ALL my own money. Bought my flat with it

Mind you, that came after 2 decades of me spunking (sometimes literally) my Dad’s money on hookers and blow, so I can empathise with both sides

Nonetheless my most serious contempt is reserved for those who inherit and contrive to boast about it. Twats
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So you married into the category then, even if after 40 you weren't in it yourself.

If you are on an average income in London or the Home Counties and don't have wealthy parents, then outside of a few areas like Harlow, Margate or Dagenham and Clacton where property prices are cheap I would suggest moving north if you want to buy a property before 40. As property prices as I said are far cheaper north of Watford and that is unlikely to change much however much you concrete over the greenbelt or tighten immigration rules
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

SNP - 49 (+1)
    Labour - 7 (+6)
    Lib Dems - 3 (-1)

Labour is coming home

SNP 52 seats (+4)
    SLab 3 seats (+2)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)

On current boundaries on the Scotland in Union poll Labour would gain 10 SNP seats
    No date yet for the next round of consultations on the Scottish constituencies for the UK parliament.

The English boundary commission will be consulting on 8 November, the Welsh on 19 October and the Northern Irish during the week commencing 14 November.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chapeau to Dom Cummings.

When they were asked, in the one time they were asked in a legal referendum, they wanted to stay with Ukraine.

If they want to rejoin Russia, fine. Let them have a lawful vote on the subject. Monitored by the UN. When it has been handed back to Ukraine. And if they vote to join Russia, let that vote be respected.

I should perhaps point out that in 1954 Khrushchev was putting right an historical issue whereby Crimea had been transferred to the Russian SSR from the Ukrainian SSR in 1921 to cut it off from the Black Sea. This had been highly damaging to Crimea and not great for Ukraine. Coupled with massive ethnic cleansing on Stalin's orders in the 1940s, Crimea was in a really sorry state in 1954 and urgently needed to be transferred back to Ukraine for administrative and economic reasons. It has, therefore, been part of Ukraine for far longer than it was ever part of Russia.

You should also not confuse 'Russophobia' with 'hatred of the current fascist regime of third rate kleptocrats currently in power in Moscow.'

Incidentally of your 37 posts 36 have been about Russia, and you do seem to get very worked up about it when anyone questions the integrity of its government. May I ask why?
    Isn't that obvious - he's this week's Russian Troll...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I made ALL my own money. Bought my flat with it

Mind you, that came after 2 decades of me spunking (sometimes literally) my Dad’s money on hookers and blow, so I can empathise with both sides

Nonetheless my most serious contempt is reserved for those who inherit and contrive to boast about it. Twats
    Ditto, except for the inheritance, hookers and blow obviously.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Jonathan said:

Isn’t it inevitable that Liz Truss will recover through dint of not appearing on our screens for a bit. As the polls turn she will claim momentum. Her cheerleaders in the Mail will claim popularity and we will be told she is winning. It is easy to predict and pretty dismal.

Obviously then she will then confidently pop up on our screens give a speech and launch a policy and remind us all why she is unfit for office.

This is Peak Starmer.
    Good morning

There is only one way this is going and it is not in favour of Sturgeon as Scots return to their labour roots now they have an electable leader
    What Labour roots? Labour have started picking Orangemen as councillors. That would be unheard of in the old days.
    Don’t doubt the Big G, once he’s made his mind up about something it happens.
    Unless it doesn’t happen then he changes his mind, see his party the Cons and which ever stinking bin fire they appoint as leader/pm.leader/pm.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So you married into the category then, even if after 40 you weren't in it yourself.

If you are on an average income in London or the Home Counties and don't have wealthy parents, then outside of a few areas like Harlow, Margate or Dagenham and Clacton where property prices are cheap I would suggest moving north if you want to buy a property before 40. As property prices as I said are far cheaper north of Watford and that is unlikely to change much however much you concrete over the greenbelt or tighten immigration rules
    So you want to send them all North. Who is going to empty your bins and nurse you in hospital?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525

sbjme19 said:

I find the R&W regional figures rather puzzling. I'd expect Truss to be doing much worse in Wales and London but in fact she's doing worse in the very leave/red wall areas. Or is it that she was so low in London anyway that it couldn't fall much further?

I hope it's worse in Leave/Red Wall areas because finally, finally, people are beginning to accept that the herds of unicorns they were promised if they voted for Brexit have vanished forever, to be replaced by the bitter reality of being screwed, yet again, by the Tories.

People aren't daft. They know they were conned. It's taken a bit longer than I expected but I think we're there now.
    This may be true - I think it is, as Brexit was managed abominably on all sides (an epic parliamentary fail). But moving on, the fascinating question is the detail of how a Labour government, whose baggage of the past on this issue is mixed but certainly does not point in a hardish Brexit direction, will deal with it when (I hope) a GE hands them the murky chalice.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“On Wednesday 28 September the intraday range of the yield on 30 year gilts of 127 basis points was higher than the annual range for 30 year gilts in all but 4 of the last 27 years”

Ie gilts (UK 30Y Govt borrowing) moved more in a day than they have in 23 of the past 27 YEARS…
    No let’s play fair here, no selective quoting, that measures that chart been moving on up for a long time.
  • Options
    Don't mean to pick on this particular MP, I'm sure you could do this with many of them, but this line isn't going to work. https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1577762710963556353/photo/1
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No let’s play fair here, no selective quoting, that measures that chart been moving on up for a long time.
    Not that you will believe us...

But just because the market was moving up doesn't irradicate the argument that the Mini budget increased the risk premium of the UK economy by 60-120 base points compared to the situation before the speech,,,
  • Options
    Two things that MPs trying to oust Truss currently can't get past

-Horror at going through another members' election and lack of obvious mechanism to prevent it

-Total inability to agree on a single candidate for a coronation without a vote

May be enough to save her
    https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1577954215791583233
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

Scott_xP said:

NEW

“mini budget to acceleration of bond yields‘

Eyeballing it, the MPC decision muddies it a bit, but I'd expect a diff in diff or ITS to finger the 'fiscal event' - there is a jump after MPC decsion, but also in the US and Euro area yields which then, for them, flattens off. the step change at the 'fiscal event' is also somewhat telling.

All the lines have been 'moving on up' for a longer period, but I think it's hard to argue that the UK alone doesn't have a step change in pace of rise.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

After the U-turn on top 45p tax rate, Tory MPs think they can push the prime minister around:

“It’s like a supply teacher who comes in at the start of the year and immediately loses control of the class,” said one senior Conservative.

https://www.ft.com/content/68425612-3dbd-4f76-81a4-52bef42f9eec

I don't think that person has ever been a supply teacher. If they're there from the start it's usually less of a problem. It's when they arrive a couple of months in that it gets tough.
    Especially when they are replacing a teacher who was charismatic and popular, but who let his class get away with murder and ended up being bundled out on gardening leave with no warning and no real explanation.

Besides, good supply teachers are absolute stars, Truss really isn't.
  • Options
    Worth posting this to highlight what is going to be a big problem over the winter

John Bull
    @garius
    Central government keeps banging on about local authorities needing to find 'cost savings' yet the biggest cost inefficiency local authorities have right now is energy bills going from, say, £6m to £20m.

The UK being legit good at energy would have HUGE knock-ons down the chain

The increase in energy prices has removed any flexibility councils have to make savings - because they are already doing everything they can to find enough savings to pay the heating bills.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_xP said:

Don't mean to pick on this particular MP, I'm sure you could do this with many of them, but this line isn't going to work. https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1577762710963556353/photo/1

Those kind of things are all over all MPs. Lib Dems...looking at you, Labour looking at you, Tories, looking at you
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Monson, L.
    Media and public relations specialist. Campaigns to create awareness of mental health dangers from use of high potency cannabis. Successfully campaigned to overturn wrongful verdict on son’s death in Kenyan prison. Four Kenyan police officers jailed last November. Started charitable initiative, help4ukraine. So far bought and sent to Ukraine 25 ambulances freighted with medical aid. Charity commended publicly by Ukraine Ambassador to UK.
    Norwich, V.
    Graduated from Oxford, I retrained as an architect, and then worked with several large practices before establishing my own in 1995. Specialising in environmental design and engineering for 25 years, we are now developing an ultra-light, pedal-electric city car. Politically independent, if elected I would be an active member in these areas, and seek Select Committee work. I am 62, live in London, and have a strong interest in music and the arts.

Rochdale, V.
    Award-winning education entrepreneur: 24 years, developed scientifically proven techniques helping professionals and students think more clearly and better understand new information. Masters' degree: International Finance, trade, shipping. Specific focus on joint ventures in China. Proficiency in Mandarin. Public service: Metropolitan Police, 12 years (commendations for bravery and investigative ability). Passionate: Dyslexia, Mental health - depression, bipolar, addiction (four lived experiences). Social justice, environment and climate. I am Independent, London-based, and fully committed to the House.

Walpole, L.
    I am 54 years old. My mother, Judith Chaplin MP, represented Newbury from 1992 until her untimely death in 1993. My father sat as a crossbench peer from 1989 until 2017. I am an independent political thinker. Employment: financial analyst, teacher and writer (MA and PhD upgrade). Fluent in French. I would commit to being a full-time working peer.

Are these not all on a website?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I have just seen you edited your post with the new first line. You do jump to conclusions don't you.

Not that it is any of your business but I worked in the City. I left Uni to join one of the big Consultancies. I then went to work for one of the big US computer companies. I made substantially more money than my wife. I semi retired before I got married. Marrying my wife was the cherry on the cake.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Monson, L.
    Media and public relations specialist. Campaigns to create awareness of mental health dangers from use of high potency cannabis. Successfully campaigned to overturn wrongful verdict on son’s death in Kenyan prison. Four Kenyan police officers jailed last November. Started charitable initiative, help4ukraine. So far bought and sent to Ukraine 25 ambulances freighted with medical aid. Charity commended publicly by Ukraine Ambassador to UK.
    Norwich, V.
    Graduated from Oxford, I retrained as an architect, and then worked with several large practices before establishing my own in 1995. Specialising in environmental design and engineering for 25 years, we are now developing an ultra-light, pedal-electric city car. Politically independent, if elected I would be an active member in these areas, and seek Select Committee work. I am 62, live in London, and have a strong interest in music and the arts.

Rochdale, V.
    Award-winning education entrepreneur: 24 years, developed scientifically proven techniques helping professionals and students think more clearly and better understand new information. Masters' degree: International Finance, trade, shipping. Specific focus on joint ventures in China. Proficiency in Mandarin. Public service: Metropolitan Police, 12 years (commendations for bravery and investigative ability). Passionate: Dyslexia, Mental health - depression, bipolar, addiction (four lived experiences). Social justice, environment and climate. I am Independent, London-based, and fully committed to the House.

Walpole, L.
    I am 54 years old. My mother, Judith Chaplin MP, represented Newbury from 1992 until her untimely death in 1993. My father sat as a crossbench peer from 1989 until 2017. I am an independent political thinker. Employment: financial analyst, teacher and writer (MA and PhD upgrade). Fluent in French. I would commit to being a full-time working peer.

Are these not all on a website?
    Well they are now!
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    eek said:

Worth posting this to highlight what is going to be a big problem over the winter

John Bull
    @garius
    Central government keeps banging on about local authorities needing to find 'cost savings' yet the biggest cost inefficiency local authorities have right now is energy bills going from, say, £6m to £20m.

The increase in energy prices has removed any flexibility councils have to make savings - because they are already doing everything they can to find enough savings to pay the heating bills.

Schools, Hospitals, etc all need heating.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Scott_xP said:

-Horror at going through another members' election and lack of obvious mechanism to prevent it

Could be. I have bet she will be out by end of year, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that the party is so split that a coronation will not be allowed. Braverman basically looks like she will run no matter what. I guess the grey suits might find a way around this and for time being I am keeping my bet in place as it is only beer money.

• Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I have just seen you edited your post with the new first line. You do jump to conclusions don't you.

Not that it is any of your business but I worked in the City. I left Uni to join one of the big Consultancies. I then went to work for one of the big US computer companies. I made substantially more money than my wife. I semi retired before I got married. Marrying my wife was the cherry on the cake.
    So you still weren't in the category after 40 then even if you were before and your wife still was
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,785
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"John Fetterman’s Lead In Pennsylvania Is Tightening — And So Are Democrats’ Chances In The Senate
    By Nathaniel Rakich"

The OPEC decision won’t help if it leads to a big increase in gas prices . The Democrats might be saved in certain Senate seats by the fact Trump supported GOP candidates have been by and large hopeless with very extreme positions on abortion .
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @kjh

The worst case of Inherited Boasting I have ever seen, on this forum, is @JackW

I don’t like to be mean to a venerable PB-er who is not here to defend himself but, fuck it. He used to boast about foreign honours - the “ancient order of the Maltese sporran-makers” - given to him solely because he’s an aristo with inherited money. Like someone proudly displaying a medal, awarded to them them for having won a nice refrigerator in a lottery

Grotesque, juvenile and existentially embarrassing
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,005
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss wants the party to split?

Team Truss, for their part, argue that the Prime Minister’s problem is that her party is packed full of ‘social democrat’ fainthearts who are running frightened from real conservatism
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/crash-course-how-the-truss-revolution-came-off-the-road

Real Conservativism is not pure libertarianism Team Truss. Macmillan or Disraeli for example were hardly capitalist in tooth and claw but still traditional Tories
    But it does seem a lot of the red wall MPs are in it for the free money on the side of a bus, with no particular clue as to how society should arrange itself.
  • Options
    eek said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What about the dustman, nurse, social worker, call centre worker, etc who make up the vast majority of the population (like my parents (junior civil servant and payroll clerk) who live in the suoth. I guess they can go hang then?
    On another forum I read there is a story about the slow death of a firm in the South West.

Firstly they were unable to find local warehouse staff now they can't find local middle management because although the pay isn't great everyone locally is working and no-one with suitable expertise / qualifications is able to move into the area for the £60,000 that is being offered...

And that isn't 1 role it's about 4 at the moment with another 6-8 approaching retirement in the next few years. High house prices are going to destroy many companies because it's impossible to find qualified local staff...
    A corollary of that is that owner-occupation is bad for the economy insofar as, even in good times, it acts as a brake on labour mobility. Germany has a much larger rented sector, so it is easier to move for work. (Obviously, in these days of working from home and dual wage-earners, this is a simplistic analysis but not without a kernel of truth.)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Andy_JS said:

By Nathaniel Rakich"

It looks as if everything the Republicans hold in the Senate is solid, bar Pennsylvania.

Nevada looks as if it will be a Republican gain.

So, it comes down to Arizona and Georgia. The Democratic candidates for the Senate lead in both States, but so do the Republican candidates for Governor. Will many voters split their tickets?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449

Scott_xP said:

Could be. I have bet she will be out by end of year, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that the party is so split that a coronation will not be allowed. Braverman basically looks like she will run no matter what. I guess the grey suits might find a way around this and for time being I am keeping my bet in place as it is only beer money.

Yup, that’s the issue. If they’re horrendously divided then they can’t run the coronation. It would need an agreement in principle behind closed doors, maybe even promises of cabinet positions to make contenders fold.

I can see a situation where the party is so horrendously divided they just can’t ditch Truss. Though I suspect if the dire poll ratings continue into the new year that will start to concentrate minds.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So you want to send them all North. Who is going to empty your bins and nurse you in hospital?
    People who rent on the whole.

As I said even if you concrete all over the greenbelt or stop all immigration tomorrow property prices in London and the Home counties would still be more expensive for average earners than those north of Watford
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    nico679 said:

The Democrats might be saved in certain Senate seats by the fact Trump supported GOP candidates have been by and large hopeless with very extreme positions on abortion .

Or rather the combination of extreme positions on abortion, and extreme numbers of abortions paid for.
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127

“This afternoon we should see the first post-speech polling and I would be very surprised if perceptions have moved.”

Personally I wouldn’t like to call wether it’s temporary polling change or largely permanent - John Curtice said the same yesterday.

It could prove like how a currency drops dramatically in hours, doesn’t jump back in hours but regains ground over days and weeks.

In Truss first week there was not dramatic movement on her coronation, she was largely seen as doing okay at PMQs, indeed the polls were showing uptick in her favour. Yes, they were. The more dramatic nature of the collapse seems to linked to one budget, in fact one budget measure which is now gone, so gradual recovery could happen.

Osborne had a “uber bad pasty budget” where Tory position was eroded to give Labour big leads, partly because the UKIP position was improved by the budget, but ultimately that bad budget drop unwound too.

If you are going to bet on poll movement, a gradual unwinding of the collapse (though not completely!) is the smart bet I think.

The problem that Truss and Kwarteng face is that they will have to announce swingeing public service cuts in November.

That, surely, is why they wanted to pass the tax cuts and the abolition of the 45% tax band first - because cutting taxes for the richest 1% while cutting benefits for the majority would have been completely untenable.

Hence the OBR omission. And the core vote strategy of tax cuts for the middle classes.

If Labour is 25% ahead now, how far will it be ahead in November when public sector pay freezes and service cuts are announced?

It is a shame as Truss's approach is really the only way that Brexit makes sense.
  • Options

eek said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

A corollary of that is that owner-occupation is bad for the economy insofar as, even in good times, it acts as a brake on labour mobility. Germany has a much larger rented sector, so it is easier to move for work. (Obviously, in these days of working from home and dual wage-earners, this is a simplistic analysis but not without a kernel of truth.)
    It's why a lot of people round here don't like stamp duty as it is a block of people moving.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

By Nathaniel Rakich"

The OPEC decision won’t help if it leads to a big increase in gas prices . The Democrats might be saved in certain Senate seats by the fact Trump supported GOP candidates have been by and large hopeless with very extreme positions on abortion .
    The Republicans have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot, with Senate candidate selection since 2010, yet as America becomes more polarised, so that matters less.

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

eek said:

John Bull
    @garius

Schools, Hospitals, etc all need heating.
    Before the youtube video on that Caledonian Girls ad, I was treated to one of those dodgy Youtube ads on a plug in heating device that employs a 'perpetual energy loop' to reduce heating costs by 95%. The schoolboy who invented it was apparently expelled from school it was so good. It had people in white coats looking down microscopes and everything.

Problem solved, I say!

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    eek said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Haven't any of their existing staff been trained so they are able to step up?
  • Options
    At least £300 billion wiped off value of UK assets in Truss and Kwarteng's first month as government chaos leaves Britain "uninvestable" say investors. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-06/-uninvestable-uk-market-lost-300-billion-in-truss-first-month
  • Options
    Keystone said:

“This afternoon we should see the first post-speech polling and I would be very surprised if perceptions have moved.”

Personally I wouldn’t like to call wether it’s temporary polling change or largely permanent - John Curtice said the same yesterday.

It could prove like how a currency drops dramatically in hours, doesn’t jump back in hours but regains ground over days and weeks.

In Truss first week there was not dramatic movement on her coronation, she was largely seen as doing okay at PMQs, indeed the polls were showing uptick in her favour. Yes, they were. The more dramatic nature of the collapse seems to linked to one budget, in fact one budget measure which is now gone, so gradual recovery could happen.

Osborne had a “uber bad pasty budget” where Tory position was eroded to give Labour big leads, partly because the UKIP position was improved by the budget, but ultimately that bad budget drop unwound too.

If you are going to bet on poll movement, a gradual unwinding of the collapse (though not completely!) is the smart bet I think.

The problem that Truss and Kwarteng face is that they will have to announce swingeing public service cuts in November.

That, surely, is why they wanted to pass the tax cuts and the abolition of the 45% tax band first - because cutting taxes for the richest 1% while cutting benefits for the majority would have been completely untenable.

Hence the OBR omission. And the core vote strategy of tax cuts for the middle classes.

If Labour is 25% ahead now, how far will it be ahead in November when public sector pay freezes and service cuts are announced?

It is a shame as Truss's approach is really the only way that Brexit makes sense.
    As Jacob Rees Mogg said: Brexit makes sense if you take a 50 year viewpoint (he was unwise to do so, albeit correct)

That’s how long it might take to a show a real net benefit. But it will show that benefit. Let’s reconvene in 2066
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

They need Rishi in order to calm the markets. The young cardinals, old popes dictum suggests MPs might settle for Theresa May in a Michael Howard-like damage limitation role. Things might be clearer once Boris encounters the Privileges Committee.
  • Options
    Keystone said:

It's a fair point, Keystone, but leads of 30+ are unsustainable in the long term for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is that the Party in arrears will eventually be moved to do something about it.

But the news isn't going to get better and frankly I just don't see a way out of this for the Conservatives - no 'off-ramp' in the fashionable parlance.

Anything better than evens must be value for a Labour Overall Majority.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Keystone said:

As Jacob Rees Mogg said: Brexit makes sense if you take a 50 year viewpoint (he was unwise to do so, albeit correct)

That’s how long it might take to a show a real net benefit. But it will show that benefit. Let’s reconvene in 2066
    Given your love of AI surely you realise humans will not be in charge by then anyway?
  • Options
    Leon said:

@kjh

I don’t like to be mean to a venerable PB-er who is not here to defend himself but, fuck it. He used to boast about foreign honours - the “ancient order of the Maltese sporran-makers” - given to him solely because he’s an aristo with inherited money. Like someone proudly displaying a medal, awarded to them them for having won a nice refrigerator in a lottery

Love your new sign-off, Leon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

He was wrong then. You are wrong now, and will continue to be so for the next 50 years
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

sbjme19 said:

This may be true - I think it is, as Brexit was managed abominably on all sides (an epic parliamentary fail). But moving on, the fascinating question is the detail of how a Labour government, whose baggage of the past on this issue is mixed but certainly does not point in a hardish Brexit direction, will deal with it when (I hope) a GE hands them the murky chalice.
    Yes, you're right. I hope a new (New?!) Labour government can begin to address the whole mess honestly. The current government can't because they're up to their elbows in it. The loons who wanted it for years are in charge. Their Singapore-on-Thames is going down like cold sick.

The Brexit omerta - which obvs doesn't apply to this august, refined forum - needs to go. We - the country as a whole - need to talk about Brexit. I know it's delivered for the likes of Leon and Barty, but many people out there aren't happy with where we are. At all.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

At least £300 billion wiped off value of UK assets in Truss and Kwarteng's first month as government chaos leaves Britain "uninvestable" say investors. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-06/-uninvestable-uk-market-lost-300-billion-in-truss-first-month

The foreign vultures will be here soon enough to buy under-priced assets, including housing.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So you still weren't in the category after 40 then even if you were before and your wife still was
    Yep I was (not that it matters) because I set up a business that meets your criteria completely. But I don't get this boasting stuff. What does it matter what I or my wife did? She certainly doesn't think of herself as being upper middle class nor I. Why does it matter to you?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Keystone said:

Yes let's have my kids living under this shit for most of their working lives and then we can decide. No.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yep I was (not that it matters) because I set up a business that meets your criteria completely. But I don't get this boasting stuff. What does it matter what I or my wife did? She certainly doesn't think of herself as being upper middle class not I. Why does it matter to you?
    As you were not both in the category able to help your children with deposits for expensive London or Home counties properties at the time they needed it
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,005

Leon said:

Keystone said:

Yes let's have my kids living under this shit for most of their working lives and then we can decide. No.
    This unprovability makes sense if you see Brexit as a state religion.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

They need Rishi in order to calm the markets. The young cardinals, old popes dictum suggests MPs might settle for Theresa May in a Michael Howard-like damage limitation role. Things might be clearer once Boris encounters the Privileges Committee.
    Wallace PM, Sunak back as Chancellor is the only possible replacement for Truss and Kwarteng that might produce a poll bounce and also not split the party
  • Options
    Another member of the Anti-growth coalition

https://twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/1577966030890143745
    Andrea Leadsom MP
    @andrealeadsom
    I share my constituents' concerns about the proposed change to the DCO for Northampton Gateway. If the change is granted, a devastating precedent will be set, alongside a negative effect on noise/air pollution, traffic, and a cumulative impact on other development projects.

Liz's speech yesterday is just going to keep on giving as anything that stops any building project can be included in it...
  • Options
    Re Pennsylvania: Fetterman has had some health issues, which has not helped him. Oz's campaign seems to have more energy
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Wallace PM, Sunak back as Chancellor is the only possible replacement for Truss and Kwarteng that might produce a poll bounce and also not split the party
    You are probably right, Hyufd, and even that might not work.

Would either of them take the jobs though?
  • Options
    Leon said:

@kjh

Old money always seeks ways to distinguish itself from the nouveau riche new money
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kjh is Tom Good, who in 1970s sitcom The Good Life quit his job at 40 having paid off the mortgage on what would now be a £2-3 million house. AICMFP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yep I was (not that it matters) because I set up a business that meets your criteria completely. But I don't get this boasting stuff. What does it matter what I or my wife did? She certainly doesn't think of herself as being upper middle class not I. Why does it matter to you?
    As you were not both in the category able to help your children with deposits for expensive London or Home counties properties at the time they needed it
    If house prices down South were sane, parents wouldn't need to destroy their own finances to allow their children to buy a home and have a family..
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

He was wrong then. You are wrong now, and will continue to be so for the next 50 years

lol
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yep I was (not that it matters) because I set up a business that meets your criteria completely. But I don't get this boasting stuff. What does it matter what I or my wife did? She certainly doesn't think of herself as being upper middle class nor I. Why does it matter to you?
    There are two kinds of rich people in my experience. Those who know only other rich people, usually because they have been born into it and they can't conceive of any other life. And those who have become rich by finding themselves in a well paid career or achieving success in business that exceeded their expectations, and live an otherwise normal kind of existence among the 99%. The latter group is probably more numerous but the former is more culturally dominant because they are organised.
  • Options

Leon said:

Keystone said:

Well, you’re stuck with it. Sorry

So we will have plenty of time to see if I’m right
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    eek said:

Andrea Leadsom MP
    @andrealeadsom
    I share my constituents' concerns about the proposed change to the DCO for Northampton Gateway. If the change is granted, a devastating precedent will be set, alongside a negative effect on noise/air pollution, traffic, and a cumulative impact on other development projects.

Liz's speech yesterday is just going to keep on giving as anything that stops any building project can be included in it...

It does show that Truss is broadly correct. Even her own pro-growth party is anti-growth in practice. I don't think any mainstream UK political party is really pro-growth, they can all find a reason for doing nothing and kicking problems into the long grass.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

PB's fondness for Ben Wallace is not persuasive. Look at his videos on Youtube: will he really excite the voter on the Clapham omnibus?
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

If house prices down South were sane, parents wouldn't need to destroy their own finances to allow their children to buy a home and have a family..
    London is now the biggest and richest global city in Europe.

I am afraid the only way to collapse London and SE house prices again is for London to go back to a 1970s relative shithole with a few historic buildings. Even building all over the greenbelt wouldn't do it

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

No about 80% of it will be unwound in the next ten years. Singapore on Thames will never gain majority support and every other version of Brexit is nonsensical. Whether we fully rejoin I don't know but I'm not sure it matters.
  • Options

PB's fondness for Ben Wallace is not persuasive. Look at his videos on Youtube: will he really excite the voter on the Clapham omnibus?

Per the usual PB trope about lions and running shoes, he only has to beat Starmer...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

@kjh

Old money always seeks ways to distinguish itself from the nouveau riche new money
    By the way, for traditional old money Tories Truss is definitely nouveau riche as are most of her supporters.

Nicholas Soames for example, the patron of Tory old money, was a big Rishi supporter
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Keystone said:

No about 80% of it will be unwound in the next ten years. Singapore on Thames will never gain majority support and every other version of Brexit is nonsensical. Whether we fully rejoin I don't know but I'm not sure it matters.
    Truss is of course in Europe today meeting European leaders about closer cooperation with Europe...

Hail Brexit !
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I am afraid the only way to collapse London and SE house prices again is for London to go back to a 1970s relative shithole with a few historic buildings. Even building all over the greenbelt wouldn't do it

Um I think you will find @MaxPB has a decent plan which Labour could easily implemented.

And yes, it still wouldn't make London cheap but it would remove 1 reason why it's so insanely expensive...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Per the usual PB trope about lions and running shoes, he only has to beat Starmer...
    Really, Scott, how could you say such a thing?

It's bears and running shoes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Did John Major excite? Still did the job well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

@kjh

I don’t mind old money being quirky, eccentric and given to showing off their inherited aesthetic, rituals, dress sense, whatever. That kind of thing can actually benefit society

It’s when they boast of being honoured for merely being old and rich, or somehow being morally or politically more entitled. Puke

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What's the point of having the "biggest and richest" city if no one can afford to live in it?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What's the point of having the "biggest and richest" city if no one can afford to live in it?

Foreign oligarchs can still afford it
  • Options
    This is the letter from Sir John Cunliffe regarding the Bank of England intervention in the bond market.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/30136/documents/174584/default/

It is clear and well written.

• Options
    glw said:

eek said:

Andrea Leadsom MP
    @andrealeadsom

It does show that Truss is broadly correct. Even her own pro-growth party is anti-growth in practice. I don't think any mainstream UK political party is really pro-growth, they can all find a reason for doing nothing and kicking problems into the long grass.
    It's also worth reading the actual proposal which you can see https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR050006/TR050006-001352-Application Statement.pdf

It reads as an attempt to kill the project dead by removing a minor change that allows it to be implemented under a known timescale given the difficulties Network rail are currently experiencing (hint East / West Rail is still up in the air)
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923
    Rather off-topic, but the Scotland-specific covid enquiry seems to be becoming a farce : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63156053

---

No-one will want to replace the chairperson and legal counsels who quit Scotland's Covid inquiry, a lawyer has warned.

Prof Peter Watson, who represents some affected families, has said the review will be delayed and is "going nowhere".

The chairperson, Lady Poole, quit last week following the resignation of the lead counsel and three junior counsels.

An inquiry spokesman said it was "continuing its important work" despite the staffing problems.

Lady Poole was said to be leaving for personal reasons. She will continue in the post during a notice period of up to three months.

No explanation has been given for the departure of lead counsel Douglas Ross KC and three of his staff.

Asked about the progress of the inquiry, Prof Watson told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme: "It's going nowhere."

He added: "It is extraordinary, to say the least, for people such as counsel to the inquiry and others to resign their post and leave.

"Most lawyers would find ways to work round any perceived difficulties but for lawyers to say they will no longer accept instructions – quite extraordinary."
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Did John Major excite? Still did the job well.
    The other thing Wallace can do differently is have a cabinet based on who is capable of being in such roles, rather than who is ideologically closest to him. If he is being represented by Sunak, Hunt, Gove, Mordaunt, May, Tugenhat, Javid rather than Kwarteng, JRM, Braverman and Coffey then his individual media performance becomes a lot less important than it is to Truss, or was to Johnson.
  • Options
    Dreadful news here as Edinburgh's Filmhouse and the Edinburgh International Film Festival, as well as the Belmont in Aberdeen, cease trading immediately. Yes, rising energy bills is a named factor https://twitter.com/kapaterson/status/1577965452822810630/photo/1
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited October 2022
    Liz Truss may have poor comms, but so does Anas Sarwar. Why is he promoting a graphic with his party on a whopping 14 point deficit?

https://twitter.com/anassarwar/status/1577729135551680524?s=46&t=QH-z0GXA4uR9A9zAR_jO1Q
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Rather off-topic, but the Scotland-specific covid enquiry seems to be becoming a farce : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63156053

---

No-one will want to replace the chairperson and legal counsels who quit Scotland's Covid inquiry, a lawyer has warned.

Prof Peter Watson, who represents some affected families, has said the review will be delayed and is "going nowhere".

The chairperson, Lady Poole, quit last week following the resignation of the lead counsel and three junior counsels.

An inquiry spokesman said it was "continuing its important work" despite the staffing problems.

Lady Poole was said to be leaving for personal reasons. She will continue in the post during a notice period of up to three months.

No explanation has been given for the departure of lead counsel Douglas Ross KC and three of his staff.

Asked about the progress of the inquiry, Prof Watson told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme: "It's going nowhere."

He added: "It is extraordinary, to say the least, for people such as counsel to the inquiry and others to resign their post and leave.

"Most lawyers would find ways to work round any perceived difficulties but for lawyers to say they will no longer accept instructions – quite extraordinary."

Watson should work on his vocabulary and stop saying "extraordinary" - the middle class equivalent of sniffing in a load of snot and then saying "wow", and equally intellectually impressive.
This discussion has been closed.