Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A damning attack on Truss from ConservativeHome – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    biggles said:

eek said:

HSBC release statement warn mass forced house sales as mortgage rise by £6,000 ps

Truss needs to go now

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/hsbc-warns-mass-forced-sales-mortgage-costs-jump-5000-year/

I'll quote 1 paragraph

Households coming to the end of a fixed-term deal will soon face increases of around £5,000 a year. Before Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng’s statement last Friday analysts were expecting repayments to rise by £3,500.

So Kwasi's statement has removed £125 a month (or 1 / 2 nights out a month) from household budgets....
    Yet more evidence that traders are a bit slow and just follow the herd, which sadly in 2022 often means Twitter plays a role too.
    Are you saying that "traders" should have taken a politician's word at face value?

Interesting take.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A representative sample of voters were asked which one word comes to mind when you think about Liz Truss's economic policies?

Top 5= Rich, Rubbish, Disaster, Disastrous, Cr*p
    @PeoplePolling Sep 28-29 https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1575814003708002304/photo/1

I'm surprised they were that positive about it! 👍
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Leon said:

Watch Putin live. Right now. Annexing 20% of Ukraine

Reassuringly, he looks completely mad

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/watch-live-putin-declares-annexation-eastern-ukraine

I'm enjoying the faltering voice-over. I'd love to believe it's mimicking the real speech.

It is a very odd speech mind you. He's just been going on about the Opium Wars as an example of the neoliberal/neocolonial 'project'. And now something about offices, or TV's ... and chemical weapons? And Europe is taking 95% of the recent grain exports from Ukraine, apparently. It's like the rambly haverings of the guy the barman advises you to avoid in the pub.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A representative sample of voters were asked which one word comes to mind when you think about Liz Truss's economic policies?

@PeoplePolling Sep 28-29 https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1575814003708002304/photo/1

If you read from left to right across the middle I rather like the phrase “Disastrous rich c**p s**t”.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

On the positive side, given how clogged up the courts are, I wouldn't expect to see any speedy repossession hearings.

Some banks going under then?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

@eek

Out of interest, which are the two seats the Conservatives keep in a scenario where Labour >50% ?

Please don't tell me one of them is Sir Christopher Chope. :(

Have you failed to back him as next Tory leader?
    That truly made me smile! Thanks Alph.
    It's surely academic, and an artefact of the separate calculation, but the two surviving on the YouGov Electoral Calculus prediction are the D&G pair of Mundell and Lamont.
    Scots! Well, I never....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

All this Truss Budget bollocks, however serious, is being utterly overshadowed by what Putin is right now saying in Moscow

PUTIN: THERE ARE FOUR NEW REGIONS OF RUSSIA

PUTIN: WE CALL ON KYIV TO IMMEDIATELY STOP MILITARY ACTIONS AND RETURN TO NEGOTIATION TABLE

PUTIN: WE ARE READY FOR TALKS

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1575824762387021826?s=20&t=aGA_ZNARoL32Nj4prs2uNQ

Exactly as predicted. Unfortunately

I saw some of the video. The faces in the audience were like those at a funeral.

Awful yes. They know what is probably coming next

One insane man has trapped them all, and now the rest of us
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs are starting to ask is it possible to “Bring Back Boris”. One texts saying they now have their eyes very much on the next election: “We will do whatever it takes to win. He is the best communicator we have.”
    https://twitter.com/HannahAlOthman/status/1575752730202714115

I honestly can't see any way back for Truss. The narrative of reckless incompetence is embedded so she will get the blame for all mortgage rises even though some rise in rates are absolutely inevitable. She is also a very poor media performer - she can't think on her feet or project empathy and she is also poor at set piece speeches. BoJo was partly good and partly crap (poor attention to detail) but could waffle and fib his way out of a tight corner. Makes one realise how brilliant Blair was on the communication front.

I think the severity of the reaction will force Tory hands so a change in leader is likely which may well close the gap with Labour. If Truss continues or her replacement is a poor choice it gets very interesting - but I would expect a LD revival. There is a lot of anti-Labour sentiment and there must be many millions who are very negative about both main parties.
    There may be a lot of anti-labour sentiment but the reality is the anti-Tory sentiment is going to trump that.

My viewpoint is that people vote for the least worst party that has a chance of winning which means that Labour and the Lib Dems probably need to be very clear as to who is going to win the seats the Lib Dems wish to target to avoid confusion..

Because few people are going to vote Tory once they see their monthly mortgage repayment...
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/watch-live-putin-declares-annexation-eastern-ukraine

I'm enjoying the faltering voice-over. I'd love to believe it's mimicking the real speech.

It is a very odd speech mind you. He's just been going on about the Opium Wars as an example of the neoliberal/neocolonial 'project'. And now something about offices, or TV's ... and chemical weapons? And Europe is taking 95% of the recent grain exports from Ukraine, apparently. It's like the rambly haverings of the guy the barman advises you to avoid in the pub.
    He looks more unstable than I’ve ever seen

FFS someone push him out the window. It is 2 minutes to midnight
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

biggles said:

eek said:

HSBC release statement warn mass forced house sales as mortgage rise by £6,000 ps

Truss needs to go now

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/hsbc-warns-mass-forced-sales-mortgage-costs-jump-5000-year/

I'll quote 1 paragraph

Households coming to the end of a fixed-term deal will soon face increases of around £5,000 a year. Before Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng’s statement last Friday analysts were expecting repayments to rise by £3,500.

So Kwasi's statement has removed £125 a month (or 1 / 2 nights out a month) from household budgets....
    Yet more evidence that traders are a bit slow and just follow the herd, which sadly in 2022 often means Twitter plays a role too.
    Are you saying that "traders" should have taken a politician's word at face value?

Interesting take.
    No. Can’t you read? Which word are you struggling with?

Edit - just seen you clipped why I wrote to wilfully misrepresent it. Twat.
  • Options

There are two opposing impossibilities:

1. The removal of Liz Truss after half an hour in the job. There are so many reasons why even contemplating her removal is politically insane - that we are openly discussing how it could happen shows how far into political unreality we have travelled
    2. The continuation of the "this is fine" messaging around the "stay the course" economic plan. The -33% poll looks to be an outlier until we then get -20, -21 and even -30 polls to accompany it

Neither impossibility looks set to back down. Truss and her cabal are wedded to their plan and apparently don't care about either the political impact or the market reaction. The market absolutely doesn't accept what they are saying or the "wait til late November timing or the proven lie about the OBR.

And voters? From what I am seeing and hearing the reaction against their plan is visceral and widespread. Whats more after a disastrous media shitshow yesterday, we go into Tory conference. Where the masters of the universe will show just how out of touch with reality they are and how incapable they are of emoting.

However impossible and political insane point 1 is, I can't see how the alternative isn't more impossible. By the end of conference it will clear to anyone outside her cabal that they have to be forcibly removed from the controls.

Fun times ahead for students of politics!

I think every polling firm except for 1 has done a poll over the past few days. And all have the Tories at least 20 points behind Labour....
  • Options

We should annex Kaliningrad today.

Followed by a referendum in which 98% of the inhabitants vote to be part of the UK.
    The way things are going we might not even have to rig the vote.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited September 2022
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

All this Truss Budget bollocks, however serious, is being utterly overshadowed by what Putin is right now saying in Moscow

PUTIN: WE CALL ON KYIV TO IMMEDIATELY STOP MILITARY ACTIONS AND RETURN TO NEGOTIATION TABLE

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1575824762387021826?s=20&t=aGA_ZNARoL32Nj4prs2uNQ

I saw some of the video. The faces in the audience were like those at a funeral.

Every new angle has more miserable faces.

• Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

"This may seem weird, but I'm OK with that:

I think the most important investment question for the next 6 months is "does Russia use tactical nuclear weapons in Ukraine?".

I'm concerned the odds are up to maybe 35% likely, & rising.

Where do you come out?"

https://twitter.com/GaryHaubold/status/1575818826402263040?s=20&t=uvrhpasizW4QbkYJr3P_tQ

The likelihood is surely quite high because, as I recall, their military doctrine is that they can use it to defend Russia, which they have now of course extended by way of this annexation. The whole thing looks like a path to using a battlefield nuke. Maybe that is what he wants us to think. But he is running out of other options. His conventional forces are failing and the conscript army is going to be wiped out.

Sadly this is part of the inherent dangers of trying to 'beat back Putin'. There was some wisdom in this idea that we should 'give Putin an off ramp'. The useful opposition to Putin is of a small size and they are all trying to flee the country to avoid military service, they aren't going to rise up.

If Putin uses a battlefield nuke, how exactly do we 'beat back Russia' then? I truly don't think there is any good answer to that.
    NATO can very rapidly obliterate any ability for Russia to launch battlefield nukes. That would leave him with his strategic nuclear deterrence, to deter any attempt to occupy Russian territory within its internationally recognised borders.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,223
    DavidL said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think the most important investment question for the next 6 months is "does Russia use tactical nuclear weapons in Ukraine?".

Where do you come out?"

https://twitter.com/GaryHaubold/status/1575818826402263040?s=20&t=uvrhpasizW4QbkYJr3P_tQ

iirc I predicted on here a few months ago that v sadly he would use a battlefield nuke in late summer. So I was wrong. We can only hope that I was completely wrong rather than just out by a month or two.

Bleak times.
    I reckon this market analyst is actually understating the chances. More like 50-60%. Dropping a small nuke is an incredible risk for Putin - but the alternatives are equally dismal, and probably less likely to save him short term. He cannot afford to lose, and he is losing

Everything points to him getting desperate. eg now mobilising in Moscow. A massive red warning sign

Bleak indeed. The best outcome now - BEST - is maybe the war grinds on over winter, we have a horrible economic crisis - around the world - economies lurch into steep recession, million lose jobs, poor countries tip into civil strife, but then the war fades away in spring - somehow - fuel prices drop, economies pick up, we return slowly to something like normal: but quite a lot poorer

And yet I see the future being worse. The number of grave systemic threats to the world as we know it are too many and too fearsome. It is hard not to despair, or get completely laughingly drunk all the time*

*I don't actually do this, but I might start now

Im seeing lots of rolled eyes in the audience for vlads speech
    Heads, surely? Ed
    FWIW there is growing sense among people who deal with Russia on a daily basis that if this (frankly laughable) attempt to annex territory they don´t control does not stop the war within a few weeks, then Putin will be put through a window.

Any use of even a "tactical nuke" would speed up his exit to hours or days rather than weeks.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Truss needs to go now

The government cannot underwrite everybody's bloody mortgage. Changes in mortgage rates are a known risk. There may be lots of reasons for her to go but this is simply not one.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Wish one of them had a gun…
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

Scott_xP said:

If you read from left to right across the middle I rather like the phrase “Disastrous rich c**p s**t”.

A bit further down you can see "chaotic c**t gamble".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

maxh said:

DavidL said:

Ok. So what do we do?

1 Reverse both the 45% and CT cuts.
    2. Cancel the gas cap nonsense: we can’t afford it.
    3. Increase benefits by enough to keep poor people warm.
    4. Boost investment by super reliefs on capital spend and training.
    5. Encourage the Bank to catch up with interest rates to secure pound and reduce imported inflation.
    6. Accelerate domestic energy production by all means possible.
    7. Increase VAT
    8. Combine IT and NI so we all pay the same taxes on earnings and other income.
    9. Offer those working in the public sector wage increases equivalent to inflation.
    10. Increase instead of decreasing government capital spending.

That’s my starter for 10. Tough times, tough measures.

Feels like a good list. To me only 2 is politically very difficult to do (in general, not talking about this govt, politically they're utterly f***ed).

I wonder what the combined affordability of all this would be, though? I'd add a condition that the combined 10 need to regain the confidence of the markets. Would these? I hope so but unsure.
    That's why I had the VAT in there. Deficit reduction is a must or the markets are going to crucify us.
    I have a lefty's instinctive aversion to increasing VAT, but given the need to rebalance the economy away from consumption of imported goods it is perhaps a necessary evil.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Reminds me of scenes in 1984. The minute of hate approaches.
  • Options

darkage said:

Leon said:

Where do you come out?"

The likelihood is surely quite high because, as I recall, their military doctrine is that they can use it to defend Russia, which they have now of course extended by way of this annexation. The whole thing looks like a path to using a battlefield nuke. Maybe that is what he wants us to think. But he is running out of other options. His conventional forces are failing and the conscript army is going to be wiped out.

Sadly this is part of the inherent dangers of trying to 'beat back Putin'. There was some wisdom in this idea that we should 'give Putin an off ramp'. The useful opposition to Putin is of a small size and they are all trying to flee the country to avoid military service, they aren't going to rise up.

If Putin uses a battlefield nuke, how exactly do we 'beat back Russia' then? I truly don't think there is any good answer to that.
    NATO can very rapidly obliterate any ability for Russia to launch battlefield nukes. That would leave him with his strategic nuclear deterrence, to deter any attempt to occupy Russian territory within its internationally recognised borders.
    So your idea is NATO should pre-emptively attack Russia? Brilliant. Can’t see any problem with that
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

IDS never got put to the voters.

There is a precedent for the Tories realising the members have made a howler...

The MPs should never have put Truss to the members - it could so easily have been Mordaunt and Sunak. Or even Badenoch, (although her inexperience probably would have made her risky in different ways).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

The government cannot underwrite everybody's bloody mortgage. Changes in mortgage rates are a known risk. There may be lots of reasons for her to go but this is simply not one.
    If you read the article there are £1500 reasons for her to go....
  • Options
    Another thought.

The last two Conservative leaders have got there by being the candidate of the Eurosceptic Right. Neither of them was really of that wing of the party, and they have both been disasters in ways that were obvious beforehand to anyone who was paying attention.

So, why have we not had a full-on ERG candidate winning, and why are they so awful at putting their weight behind someone not obviously terrible?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

A bit further down you can see "chaotic c**t gamble".
    One of The Fall's finest choons.
  • Options
    I think we should unilaterally attack China as well. Might as well get ail the housework done in one go
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    biggles said:

TOPPING said:

biggles said:

eek said:

Truss needs to go now

I'll quote 1 paragraph

Interesting take.

You wrote this, arsehole:

"Why are people pretending that increased interest rates are a surprise? They were actively discussed during her election, even by her own advisers and should have been priced in.

Yet more evidence that traders are a bit slow and just follow the herd, which sadly in 2022 often means Twitter plays a role too."

Which bit have I misrepresented. Dickhead.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    When Ben Wallace said that Putin had gone "full tonto" he was right. It might not have been diplomatic to say so anywhere that it might get reported, but he was absolutely correct about the scale of Putin's delusion.

Let's hope some US black programme is about to end Putin in a deniable fashion.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Even in the mirror??
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Putin has made his speech to bring the 4 regions into Russia. However he now calls on Ukraine to now negotiate but those 4 regions are non-negotiable. This is what he thought was his get out - keep those 4 regions and spin it as a victory despite the catastrophic losses.

Ukraine will obviously not negotiate and why should they. So now what happens?

It will be interesting to see if China responds at all. Will they back the call for negotiations, or make more of a point of not recognising the annexations?

Now would be a great time to announce that the first squadron of Ukrainian F-16s were ready to be deployed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

People do not expect the government to underwrite their mortgages. They do expect the government not to act in such an irresponsible manner that mortgage rates are forced up in response.

A significant problem now is that lenders do not know how to price products. They know there is significant and increasing downside risk from this government but they can't see how much - and the 2 month delay until the next budget event only makes that worse.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You have linked via a loony right wing site to get to Sky News.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Does Poots include Lyman in this annexation announcement?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

On topic.

***Buffs nails***

I did tell you she was shite and wouldn't make it to conference 2023.

The only examples I can find of PMs toppled after they took the reins from another PM of the same party and didn't make it through to the next GE are George Canning (Who died) and the Viscount Goderich (Who invited loads of opposition into his cabinet).
    Are there any more ?
    I'm betting against it happening with Truss. She might dispose of Kwarteng at some point, but he too is safe this year I believe.
    Neville Chamberlain.
    Maybe Dave Davis can do his (admittedly pretty rubbish) 'In the name of God, go' schtick?
    "Your joking! Not another one!"
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    biggles said:

TOPPING said:

biggles said:

eek said:

Truss needs to go now

I'll quote 1 paragraph

Interesting take.

He does that sometimes. Just chill and be the better man.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ok. So what do we do?

5. Encourage the Bank to catch up with interest rates to secure pound and reduce imported inflation.
    7. Increase VAT
    9. Offer those working in the public sector wage increases equivalent to inflation.

I'd vote for you David on that platform. 👍
  • Options
    Cicero said:

DavidL said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Where do you come out?"

iirc I predicted on here a few months ago that v sadly he would use a battlefield nuke in late summer. So I was wrong. We can only hope that I was completely wrong rather than just out by a month or two.

Bleak times.
    I reckon this market analyst is actually understating the chances. More like 50-60%. Dropping a small nuke is an incredible risk for Putin - but the alternatives are equally dismal, and probably less likely to save him short term. He cannot afford to lose, and he is losing

Everything points to him getting desperate. eg now mobilising in Moscow. A massive red warning sign

Bleak indeed. The best outcome now - BEST - is maybe the war grinds on over winter, we have a horrible economic crisis - around the world - economies lurch into steep recession, million lose jobs, poor countries tip into civil strife, but then the war fades away in spring - somehow - fuel prices drop, economies pick up, we return slowly to something like normal: but quite a lot poorer

And yet I see the future being worse. The number of grave systemic threats to the world as we know it are too many and too fearsome. It is hard not to despair, or get completely laughingly drunk all the time*

Heads, surely? Ed
    FWIW there is growing sense among people who deal with Russia on a daily basis that if this (frankly laughable) attempt to annex territory they don´t control does not stop the war within a few weeks, then Putin will be put through a window.

Any use of even a "tactical nuke" would speed up his exit to hours or days rather than weeks.
    We can only pray that even the expressed intention of using a tactical nuke would be his death sentence.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1575816156937875456

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 50% (+10)
    CON: 20% (-8)
    LDM: 9% (-1)
    GRN: 8% (=)
    SNP: 5% (-1)

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

Lead slashed from 33 to 30 in the space of 24 hours. That's a bit worrying for Labour. Crossover coming?
    From polls averaging 25% lead for the Tories, to polls averaging a 25% lead for Labour in 30 months.

Even the "shy Tory" polling turnaround under Kinnock wasn't that big.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Where do you come out?"

So your idea is NATO should pre-emptively attack Russia? Brilliant. Can’t see any problem with that
    It'd be easy. We'd be guaranteed to get every single one of the tactical warheads, and old Vald would be fine with NATO air power sweeping across his borders and obliterating his troops and munitions.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited September 2022
    eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

Scottish break catastrophic for the Unionists:

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total pro-independence 64%
    Total Unionists 35%
  • Options
    Not sure if anybody's mentioned it, but I do wonder whether the financial chaos may also be exacerbated by a lot of people struggling to meet the monthly payments on the cars they're buying, and defaulting on their loans/contracts.

I'm surveying the local streets in the expectation (hope) of a downturn in the visibility of Chelsea tractors.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

What, the PM should go because mortgage rates go up 1%. I mean, are you serious?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    Putin openly saying they are fighting for "great historic Russia". This is why the West cannot give into nuclear blackmail. If we accept it with Ukraine, he will do the same with Belarus, with Kazakhstan, with the Baltics, with Poland. He must lose and be seen to lose.
  • Options
    Chechen warlord Kadyrov appears to cry during Putin’s speech

https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/1575828398513197061?s=46&t=QJuJi3i2InYi7HVRCxyY9w

Is that good or bad? I’m going with bad. Because this is 2022
  • Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/09/28/world/europe/russian-soldiers-phone-calls-ukraine.html?campaign_id=190

"‘Putin Is a Fool’: Intercepted Calls Reveal Russian Army in Disarray

In phone calls to friends and relatives at home, Russian soldiers gave damning insider accounts of battlefield failures and civilian executions, excoriating their leaders just weeks into the campaign to take Kyiv.

Yevgeniy: We are positioned in Bucha town.

Sergey: Our offense has stalled. We’re losing this war.

Andrey: Half of our regiment is gone.

Sergey: We were given an order to kill everyone we see.

Sergey to girlfriend: They told us that, where we’re going, there’s a lot of civilians walking around. And they gave us the order to kill everyone we see.

Why the f**k?

Because they might give away our positions. … That’s what we’re f**king going to do, it seems. Kill any civilian that walks by and drag them into the forest. … I’ve already become a murderer. That’s why I don’t want to kill any more people, especially ones I will have to look in the eyes."
  • Options
    Even the applause is slow. Look at the faces. Not one of them in the crowd there believes this will work.
  • Options

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc
  • Options

DavidL said:

maxh said:

DavidL said:

Ok. So what do we do?

7. Increase VAT

Feels like a good list. To me only 2 is politically very difficult to do (in general, not talking about this govt, politically they're utterly f***ed).

I wonder what the combined affordability of all this would be, though? I'd add a condition that the combined 10 need to regain the confidence of the markets. Would these? I hope so but unsure.
    That's why I had the VAT in there. Deficit reduction is a must or the markets are going to crucify us.
    I have a lefty's instinctive aversion to increasing VAT, but given the need to rebalance the economy away from consumption of imported goods it is perhaps a necessary evil.
    I think that we should look to zero rate things to reduce the regression. Fule certainly. Maybe hot food?

It would give George something to laugh about.
  • Options
    Bad News! Manchester United report that Harry Maguire has come back from international duties with an injury which will keep him out of action against Citeh on Sunday.

How awful! He was such an integral part of our defence, the first pick on the team sheet every game this season...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Scott_xP said:

There's a LOT of swear words in that.
    Don't think I've seen so many in one of these.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Even the applause is slow. Look at the faces. Not one of them in the crowd there believes this will work.

Remember that meeting with Putin and the Security Council two days before the invasion? They all looked worried, they knew that the boss has lots his marbles.
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    DavidL said:

Cicero said:

DavidL said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Where do you come out?"

Bleak times.

Heads, surely? Ed

We can only pray that even the expressed intention of using a tactical nuke would be his death sentence.
    Like everyone i am heartily sick of this war now...even with ukraine winning the cost is enormous
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    No problems with the pen for Putin.
  • Options
    Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Awful yes. They know what is probably coming next

One insane man has trapped them all, and now the rest of us
    It's a perfect opportunity for them to start a slow hand clap and bring an end to this disaster.
  • Options
    From BBC: Putin “criticised capitalism, saying this was not the way to provide food for the people.”

Wha….?
  • Options
    Putin standing next to people and shaking hands. What happened to his COVID paranoia?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

What, the PM should go because mortgage rates go up 1%. I mean, are you serious?
    The PM managed to create a scenario where base rates that were expected to hit 5% are now going to hit 7%.

That is something that she will be blamed for
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

nico679 said:

The Tories could recover significantly if they do dump Truss . Sunak looks even better after his forecasts came true so the public might think he knows what he’s talking about .

Of course there will be the issue that the Tories have yet another new leader but how much will the public factor that into their vote?

It would make the Tories look utterly dysfunctional but it’s their best chance now of preventing disaster at the next GE (which they will still lose - the question is now the scale).

Better to cut off the arm than risk the contagion spreading. Keeping Liz will just make things worse. She’s been tested and she’s just not up to the job. She’s actively making things more difficult every day.
    They could bring back Mrs May - her track record of defying the opinion polls might be just what they need?
  • Options

Not sure if anybody's mentioned it, but I do wonder whether the financial chaos may also be exacerbated by a lot of people struggling to meet the monthly payments on the cars they're buying, and defaulting on their loans/contracts.

I'm surveying the local streets in the expectation (hope) of a downturn in the visibility of Chelsea tractors.

Last time we had a big financial crisis there was a major threat to the car company finances in the UK. The sheer number of vehicles on PCP deals being handed back which then couldn't easily be sold on was a big problem.

If we start seeing a spike in voluntary terminations on such deals, we know the balloon is going up.
  • Options
    Arf Putin really is quite short. All the 4 err 'governors' taller than him.
  • Options
    've watched a lot of Putin speeches over the last 10-15 years and this is the most anti-US one by a really long way.

If I were a western policymaker wondering if he'd really use nuclear weapons – and he hasn't even got to them yet – I'd be very concerned.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1575829807593533441?s=46&t=QJuJi3i2InYi7HVRCxyY9w

In case you had any doubt what this is really about, Putin hasn't even mentioned Ukraine for about 15 minutes now. This is effectively an official declaration of hostilities against the west.“
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Bad News! Manchester United report that Harry Maguire has come back from international duties with an injury which will keep him out of action against Citeh on Sunday.

How awful! He was such an integral part of our defence, the first pick on the team sheet every game this season...

It would be very unfortunate if the injury kept him out until Christmas.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/09/28/world/europe/russian-soldiers-phone-calls-ukraine.html?campaign_id=190

In phone calls to friends and relatives at home, Russian soldiers gave damning insider accounts of battlefield failures and civilian executions, excoriating their leaders just weeks into the campaign to take Kyiv.

Sergey to girlfriend: They told us that, where we’re going, there’s a lot of civilians walking around. And they gave us the order to kill everyone we see.

Why the f**k?

Because they might give away our positions. … That’s what we’re f**king going to do, it seems. Kill any civilian that walks by and drag them into the forest. … I’ve already become a murderer. That’s why I don’t want to kill any more people, especially ones I will have to look in the eyes."

Putins got a good chance of being seen as one of the most evil persons ever in history after this.

This is Hitler and Stalin level stuff.
  • Options

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc
    The Ruth Davidson Says No Party commemorative service:

- no flowers at the funeral;
    - and don’t give the Chancellor any cocaine just before he enters the church.
  • Options
    The hand-holding, singing and clapping at the end of Putin's speech felt a bit 'Yeltsin', I must say.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Putin standing next to people and shaking hands. What happened to his COVID paranoia?

He is (supposedly) dying of bum cancer. He's not worried about Covid any more as he's a dead man anyway.
  • Options
    After reading this header, I nipped to ConHome for a quick read. I think the Tories are in for an interesting conference.

I wonder will they try to close ranks, or will they indulge in close-quarters combat?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs are starting to ask is it possible to “Bring Back Boris”. One texts saying they now have their eyes very much on the next election: “We will do whatever it takes to win. He is the best communicator we have.”
    https://twitter.com/HannahAlOthman/status/1575752730202714115

I honestly can't see any way back for Truss. The narrative of reckless incompetence is embedded so she will get the blame for all mortgage rises even though some rise in rates are absolutely inevitable. She is also a very poor media performer - she can't think on her feet or project empathy and she is also poor at set piece speeches. BoJo was partly good and partly crap (poor attention to detail) but could waffle and fib his way out of a tight corner. Makes one realise how brilliant Blair was on the communication front.

I think the severity of the reaction will force Tory hands so a change in leader is likely which may well close the gap with Labour. If Truss continues or her replacement is a poor choice it gets very interesting - but I would expect a LD revival. There is a lot of anti-Labour sentiment and there must be many millions who are very negative about both main parties.
    There may be a lot of anti-labour sentiment but the reality is the anti-Tory sentiment is going to trump that.

My viewpoint is that people vote for the least worst party that has a chance of winning which means that Labour and the Lib Dems probably need to be very clear as to who is going to win the seats the Lib Dems wish to target to avoid confusion..

Because few people are going to vote Tory once they see their monthly mortgage repayment...
    What about the other two-thirds of adults?
  • Options
    This is legit terrifying now
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

But who replaces him...might be someone worse
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Arf Putin really is quite short. All the 4 err 'governors' taller than him.

This whole catastrophe comes out of one man's Napoleon complex.
  • Options

WillG said:

He is (supposedly) dying of bum cancer. He's not worried about Covid any more as he's a dead man anyway.
    It would be nice if he could die a bit quicker. Sometime this afternoon would suit me.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

There are videos of her from the election debates calling Sunak's suggestion that increased borrowing would result in rising interest rates 'project fear'.

• Options
    Leon said:

Ever see the move the stand where there is a vision of a future president stillson going completely mad
    His final words
    "The missiles are flying halleluhah"
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

It would be very unfortunate if the injury kept him out until Christmas.
    Awful! Imagine if he has already played his last game in red?

Tragic.
  • Options
    PeterM said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

When Putin is replaced, the elite will be desperate to release sanctions. They need it for financial survival and to restore their army. They will appoint someone amenable.
  • Options
    PeterM said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Liz Truss
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    WillG said:

Putin openly saying they are fighting for "great historic Russia". This is why the West cannot give into nuclear blackmail. If we accept it with Ukraine, he will do the same with Belarus, with Kazakhstan, with the Baltics, with Poland. He must lose and be seen to lose.

He is not looking like he is in the ascendancy, in perhaps the way that Hitler was in advance of WW2.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc
    There has been a lot of talk about Tory > Labour movement recently, but there are still a LOT of don't knows in the 2019 Tory voter column and they're driving the huge leads.

In total, of the 2019 Tories, 17% say Labour, 38% still Tory, but a ridiculous 29% saying Don't Know.

Of Labour 2019 voters the comparable figure is 7%, so it'll be interesting to see whether the Don't Knows will get over their shock and move back to the Tories. I suspect so, and it's one reason why we don't get 30pt leads in actual elections.
  • Options

To be honest if I was a centre half nominated to stop Haaland from scoring I just might have an injury too.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Why the f**k?

Putins got a good chance of being seen as one of the most evil persons ever in history after this.

This is Hitler and Stalin level stuff.
    Oh come on he hasnt slaughtered 6 million jews for a start
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    District Council By-election last night in Harborough.

Lib Dems held the seat with a modest increase in vote share of 2.7% (to 45.7%) -Conservatives who came second were down 2.6% (to 30%) Labour went up 8.6% (to 19.6%)

1,270 votes cast (30.7% turnout) of which 637 (50%) were postal votes - most of which were probably posted back to the council before the mourning period for the Queen had ended (so didn't receive much literature) and before last Friday's "Fiscal Misstatement" and the aftermath.

Will be interesting to see council election in the next couple of weeks - I expect that they will help any Conservative MPs make up their minds about what to do next.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc

How extraordinary. Some Labour votes must have shuffled SNP-wards - or some Tories seen the light on indy. Those figures for over-65 in another poll however were consistent with that.

I'd like to see more proper polls though (ie for Scots voters).

• Options

Last time we had a big financial crisis there was a major threat to the car company finances in the UK. The sheer number of vehicles on PCP deals being handed back which then couldn't easily be sold on was a big problem.

If we start seeing a spike in voluntary terminations on such deals, we know the balloon is going up.
    There are 2 issues with PCP - the immediate one of can people continue to pay the monthly rental fees

A secondary one of with interest rates rising what can they get when their 2 year contract ends and they need to renew or replace their current deal...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    edited September 2022
    ohnotnow said:

The hand-holding, singing and clapping at the end of Putin's speech felt a bit 'Yeltsin', I must say.

If only we were dealing with a mad alcoholic!
    Pulpstar said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Liz Truss
    What have the Russians done to deserve that?!
  • Options
    nova said:

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc
    There has been a lot of talk about Tory > Labour movement recently, but there are still a LOT of don't knows in the 2019 Tory voter column and they're driving the huge leads.

In total, of the 2019 Tories, 17% say Labour, 38% still Tory, but a ridiculous 29% saying Don't Know.

Of Labour 2019 voters the comparable figure is 7%, so it'll be interesting to see whether the Don't Knows will get over their shock and move back to the Tories. I suspect so, and it's one reason why we don't get 30pt leads in actual elections.
    I wonder if those DKs are more of an inducement to depose Truss than the dire face value figures in the polls? Wouldn't need much of a nudge (ie anyone not Truss leading the Tory party) to get these guys back on board.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc

How extraordinary. Some Labour votes must have shuffled SNP-wards - or some Tories seen the light on indy. Those figures for over-65 in another poll however were consistent with that.

Are we doing Scottish sub-samples again? :)
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

The PM managed to create a scenario where base rates that were expected to hit 5% are now going to hit 7%.

Sure, she's incompetent and economically illiterate. No arguments from me on that one. But people entering long term loans must surely realise that they have no right to base rates staying at 1% indefinitely.
  • Options
    PeterM said:

Leon said:

Ever see the move the stand where there is a vision of a future president stillson going completely mad
    His final words
    "The missiles are flying halleluhah"
    Never mind, you'll be glad to know, as I have jus\t discovered by chance, that aliens didn't build Woolworths:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/jan/16/ben-goldacre-bad-science-aliens-woolworths
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc

I'm afraid we are standing round them poking them with a stick picked up from the ground. As my comment re proper polls implies (which was also intended to avert any threat of a ban).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

Sure, she's incompetent and economically illiterate. No arguments from me on that one. But people entering long term loans must surely realise that they have no right to base rates staying at 1% indefinitely.
    A lot of people don't exactly have much choice but to buy the best property they can with the money they earn...
  • Options
    darkage said:

DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

There are videos of her from the election debates calling Sunak's suggestion that increased borrowing would result in rising interest rates 'project fear'.

10+ years of base rates of 1% or less will do that to a politican. It was yet another failure of imagination.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That always happens, even despite affordability tests far too many people still stretch their finances to the limit and essentially bet on rates never rising. It is nuts, but people keep doing it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Truss needs to go now

Thanks to her ill considered plans, botched announcements and cack-handed approach she will have nearly doubled mortgage rates from 2.7% to 5.5%

If she had kept her big gob shut and let the OBR do its job then this would not be happening.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 29 Sep.
    Changes w/ 21 Sep.

SNP 56%
    SLab 25%
    Grn 6%
    SLD 5%
    SCon 3%
    Ref 2%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Total Unionists 35%
    3%!
    That. Is. A. etc

I'm afraid we are standing round them poking them with a stick picked up from the ground. As my comment re proper polls implies (which was also intended to avert any threat of a ban).
    It's still 200 people, to be fair. Wouldn't be surprised if there has been a huge crash in Scons.

Weird that Lib Dems haven't gone up. Natural 2nd option for Perthshire (etc) Tories, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    one to set @Leon panicking

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/norway-strengthen-security-oil-gas-installations-2022-09-27/

Russia is supposedly send drones over Norwegian oil rigs.
This discussion has been closed.