Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A damning attack on Truss from ConservativeHome – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    TOPPING said:

As luck would have it I am just looking at my insurance policy.

There is no cover for:

10) War, terrorism, radioactive contamination and pressure waves
    Any claim resulting directly or indirectly from or in connection with:
    a) war, terrorism, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or warlike operations
    (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection,
    uprising, military or usurped power;
    b) ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or any
    nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel;
    c) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive
    nuclear assembly or nuclear component of it;
    d) pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or
    supersonic speed.

So in the event of War/Terrorism committed by Revolutionary Insurrectionist Radioactive Toxic Woke Illegal Immigrant Trans Alien AIs, in the form of supersonic passes over your house... you are really, really screwed?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

glw said:

PeterM said:

does that mean if russia is continuing the war they are attacking nato then...thats ww3

I think the intention is that Ukraine will have the same sort of protection that Sweden and Finland currently do. As an applicant there will be a series of multilateral security agreements.

So if occupied Ukraine is "Russia", unoccupied Ukraine is de facto NATO or as near as dammit.

Apparently there are going to be some big announcements this evening.
    If the UK is providing security guarantees to Ukraine, while it's at war, I'd expect an address to the nation from Truss this evening.

An interesting moment. To what extent would voters compartmentalise their contempt for Truss over the budget from their instinctive support for Ukraine?
    That's a good question. I support Ukraine but I oppose Truss using Ukraine to distract from her domestic pratfalls.
  • PeterM said:
    Sadly I can’t speak Russian.
    What’s that they’re singing? Is it “Whistle a Happy Tune” from the King and I?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    In other news, this would have made big headlines in calmer times:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63091544

Looks like it is somewhere above Dovestones.

I've spent a fair bit of time wandering Wessenden Moors and Shiny Brook Clough in the past couple of years. Looks like we won't have to worry about coming across something unexpected any more (other than things we are actually looking for).

Sadly a bit too late for the family.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995

While not remotely a fan of this omnishambles of a government (sic), some of us are old enough to remember how Mrs T was only there "temporarily" and soon one of the "grown ups" would be along to take over....

Apart from the economics, who on gods green earth thought local radio would be an easy option?

Not sure it was quite like that in 1979 tbh. Thatcher's popularity descended over a year or more. And at most she was only (!) ever 16% behind Labour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1983_United_Kingdom_general_election#1979
    It's fair also to say that any prejudice against a female leader should have decreased in the intervening four decades. I'm sure that was a factor (even if just four or five percentage points) back then.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    stjohn said:

I'm under the weather too. Fatigue and mild cold symptoms.

Yes. I thought it was just a cold. Came down with it on Tuesday night, *but it is all over now*.
    It must have been love ...

Rolling Stones came into my mind. The new anthem for the Tory party and Liz Truss.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088

Does house insurance usually protect you in instances of nuclear war?

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.
    An insurance company that hasn’t been annihilated.
    Insurance companies’ small print.
    What kind of event or action is sufficient, do you think, to trigger a sensible evacuation of one’s family to the countryside or even New Zealand?

Asking for another friend.
    In the event of a strategic nuclear exchange there's no point in running. Anywhere that's not obliterated by a thermonuclear blast will simply be irradiated by fallout, then starved and frozen to death in a nuclear winter.

Besides which, Putin is psychotic, genocidal scum and so are all the people around him. It wouldn't at all surprise me if they decided to nuke as wide a range of targets as possible in their zeal to take the entire world down with them. New Zealand is, therefore, probably on their "let's kill the whole planet" list anyway.
  • Conservative Home is in meltdown. I've just come across this comment under today's critical leader:

Over on The Politicalbetting site they are running the headline 'A damning attack on Liz Truss from Conservativehome.'
    We are at the point where the editors of this site are supplying the enemies of the government and the wider conservative party with ammunition to attack both.
    In doing this, the editors are working for a Labour victory. It is high time they all considered their positions.

PB: enemy of the government. You've got to laugh, haven't you?

The tragicomic bit is that ConHome is being planned for being insufficiently loyal.

What is it they say about revolutions, children and menus?
    If you don't eat your revolutions you are not allowed any show trials for afters?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.
    What kind of event or action is sufficient, do you think, to trigger a sensible evacuation of one’s family to the countryside or even New Zealand?

Ask Neville Shute. Although he would recommend Australia, I can’t imagine why anyone would choose Australia ahead of New Zealand.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2022
    Looking at the Yougov sub samples, the midlands figure is striking.

+30% Lab

That’s one hell of a swing. The midlands loved Boris, but we really hate Truss!
  • PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

In the event of a strategic nuclear exchange there's no point in running. Anywhere that's not obliterated by a thermonuclear blast will simply be irradiated by fallout, then starved and frozen to death in a nuclear winter.

Besides which, Putin is psychotic, genocidal scum and so are all the people around him. It wouldn't at all surprise me if they decided to nuke as wide a range of targets as possible in their zeal to take the entire world down with them. New Zealand is, therefore, probably on their "let's kill the whole planet" list anyway.
    thats why south america is safer...i thought about new zealand but thought the chinese may just decide to invade them in the chaos....so argentina or chile for me

PeterM said:
    They're a Nuremburg Rally tribute act. Filth, the lot of them.
  • ping said:

Looking at the Yougov sub samples, the midlands figure is striking.

+30% Lab

That’s one hell of a swing.

The Midlands was the most pro-BoJo region.
  • Scott_xP said:

A job advert from HM Treasury reaches me. I kid you not, this is how the ad starts...

"Are you interested in financial stability? If so, we'd love to hear from you!" https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1575875929406046209/photo/1

Good to see they are addressing the problem.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    PeterM said:
    In case anyone is interested an airburst directly over there would result in about ~250k immediate deaths using one warhead from our subs.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Ghedebrav said:

While not remotely a fan of this omnishambles of a government (sic), some of us are old enough to remember how Mrs T was only there "temporarily" and soon one of the "grown ups" would be along to take over....

Apart from the economics, who on gods green earth thought local radio would be an easy option?

Not sure it was quite like that in 1979 tbh. Thatcher's popularity descended over a year or more. And at most she was only (!) ever 16% behind Labour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1983_United_Kingdom_general_election#1979
    It's fair also to say that any prejudice against a female leader should have decreased in the intervening four decades. I'm sure that was a factor (even if just four or five percentage points) back then.
    I don't think so, given she had just won an election by 7% in May 1979.
    edited September 2022
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

I have been feeling a bit under the weather over the last few days, so I took a covid test and it was positive.

I have finally caught the plague. :open_mouth:

You must be kind to yourself and rest

Hope you soon recover
    Thank you. I think I already have. I am doing my normal stuff although I must make a pot of FUD broth in order to fortify myself :D:D

I guess I will not be getting my autumn booster....
    I caught Covid for the first time about two weeks ago. I have no idea where I caught it. It was very minor. I felt slightly under the weather, and am fine now. I also passed it onto Mrs. F. Unfortunately, we were due to get our boosters and flu jags tomorrow, so have had to postpone them. I am guessing the previous jags, a year ago, had worn off.
    jags don't stop you getting anything apart from to the golf course.

They just lessen the effects of Covid.

Hope Mrs F is on her way to the golf course recovery also.
    Jags? Jabs surely
    A jag is a Scottish jab. If Partick Thistle played in the Premiership, their nickname would be The Jabs.
    "A jag is a Scottish jab", (tongue in cheek) ah so an ineffectual but demonstrative bit of a punch forwards?

Maybe 'jag' is the older term.
    So you’ve watched Partick Thistle?
    PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

thats why south america is safer...i thought about new zealand but thought the chinese may just decide to invade them in the chaos....so argentina or chile for me
    In Cold War times, wasn't New Zealand's nuclear free policy regarded with extreme suspicion in the Kremlin? Thus they targeted it pretty heavily.

More space in Australia (and they've, ahem, seen the odd bomb go off already).
  • Does house insurance usually protect you in instances of nuclear war?

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

Ask Neville Shute. Although he would recommend Australia, I can’t imagine why anyone would choose Australia ahead of New Zealand.
    No Highway, read it at school :)
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

On the Beach, surely?
  • glw said:

If Russia tried to bomb the UK most of their missiles would probably be duds and those that aren't could be intercepted.

Quite frankly, Russia isn't the USSR and doesn't have the capabilities to annihilate the world, any more than it has the capability to take Kyiv.

How's that going to happen? The UK has nothing that can intercept an ICBM.
    Bart will shoot laser beams from his eyes....
    pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

The Cold War plans of the USSR included nuking New Zealand. The reasoning was that

a) The anti-nuclear thing was probably a fake
    b) They were Western country so would probably ally with the rest of the West.

40 warheads, IIRC.

Australia was going to be nuked as well. IIRC Port Moresby was going to get urban redevelopment.... Yes, the USSR was planning on bombing Papua New Guinea back to the Stone Age.
    edited September 2022
    PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

You get to die slowly rather than quickly. Congratulations.
  • glw said:

If Russia tried to bomb the UK most of their missiles would probably be duds and those that aren't could be intercepted.

Quite frankly, Russia isn't the USSR and doesn't have the capabilities to annihilate the world, any more than it has the capability to take Kyiv.

Bart will shoot laser beams from his eyes....
    He's got some stiffly worded letters to the Telegraph editor that can be redirected.
    Given all the apocalyptic nu-cu-lar chatter, as a point of interest Threads is available on Britbox at the moment. You can do the usual free trial thing.

Even as a serious horror aficionado, Threads is unquestionably the scariest film I've seen. A minor masterpiece.
  • Carnyx said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

On the Beach, surely?
    Yeah, No Highway is the plane metal fatigue one I think ?
  • PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

In Cold War times, wasn't New Zealand's nuclear free policy regarded with extreme suspicion in the Kremlin? Thus they targeted it pretty heavily.

I have read that on here. Dunno if it’s true.

More interesting to me is Putin’s visit to New Zealand to “sell shoes”, some time in the 90s I think.

Relatedly, my “East Asian Politics” tutor at Auckland University was later alleged to be a Chinese spy.

I like to think of NZ as a haven from the world’s ills, but perhaps not.
  • Conservative Home is in meltdown. I've just come across this comment under today's critical leader:

Over on The Politicalbetting site they are running the headline 'A damning attack on Liz Truss from Conservativehome.'
    We are at the point where the editors of this site are supplying the enemies of the government and the wider conservative party with ammunition to attack both.
    In doing this, the editors are working for a Labour victory. It is high time they all considered their positions.

PB: enemy of the government. You've got to laugh, haven't you?

The tragicomic bit is that ConHome is being planned for being insufficiently loyal.

What is it they say about revolutions, children and menus?
    If you don't eat your revolutions you are not allowed any show trials for afters?
    "A little revolution now and then is a healthy thing, don’t you think?" - Sean Connery.
  • Leon said:

glw said:

@BartholomewRoberts will fly up into the sky in his patented Truss-o-copter and personally punch the Russian missiles on the nose, thereby sorting out everything
    Go Bartyyyyyyyyyy

• PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

I'm on a flight to Australia 10th October, if armageddon can wait till the 11th, that would be super.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,995

PeterM said:
    Look at the streets around them in the long shots. It's a couple of pens for a few thousand people bussed in for the regime. This in a city of 12m people.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Agreeable Doomsday lunch at the Grouch, tho

Bruschetta with stracchino cheese, squash, chestnuts, crispy sage

Vitello tonnato, tuna, capers & anchovies sauce, quail eggs!

And now a superb Wehlener Riesling dessert wine

if I die today I die well fed

Ideally we hang on til Wednesday for Armageddon because I've got La Dame de Pic on Tuesday.
    Could we make it Thursday, please? Meeting a friend for lunch on Wednesday.
    Oh jeez are we putting our bids in. Mon/Tues I'm in Paris; Thurs I have a drinks, then Friday off for the weekend.

So I have a window I suppose on Weds but if people are busy that night then I'm happy to bump it to next week.
    What about my cunningly delayed house move?
  • Ghedebrav said:

Given all the apocalyptic nu-cu-lar chatter, as a point of interest Threads is available on Britbox at the moment. You can do the usual free trial thing.

Even as a serious horror aficionado, Threads is unquestionably the scariest film I've seen. A minor masterpiece.

Seconded, though if of a nervous disposition and troubled by current events Id recommend staying well clear. You will not be getting much sleep or much done in the coming days.

PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

I'm on a flight to Australia 10th October, if armageddon can wait till the 11th, that would be super.
    It it waits until the 12th, you could be On The Beach.
    pigeon said:

PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

You get to die slowly rather than quickly. Congratulations.
    no the weather systems in the southern hemisphere are totally separate from the north....there would obviously be a collapse in the standard of living and food shortages but i would survive to start the rebuilding
  • pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

The Cold War plans of the USSR included nuking New Zealand. The reasoning was that

40 warheads, IIRC.

Australia was going to be nuked as well. IIRC Port Moresby was going to get urban redevelopment.... Yes, the USSR was planning on bombing Papua New Guinea back to the Stone Age.
    Apparently they also tried planning to bomb Norfolk to the Stone Age, but had to give up when their scientists explained they did not have any bombs that could progress forwards through the different eras yet.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    edited September 2022

PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

The Atherton Tablelands, in Queensland, would be an excellent place to sit out the Nuclear Apocalypse

Verdant, sunny, empty, pastoral. Above the mosquito line. Does get the odd typhoon but generally temperate and warm. And quietly beautiful and properly fertile

https://www.exploreshaw.com/a-guide-to-the-atherton-tablelands-waterfalls/

No one goes there. Hardly anyone lives there apart from a few mango farmers. There is fuck all to do there apart from get drunk and look at tree kangaroos falling out of trees (hence the name: "drop bears") but that might come as a relief after all the Recent Excitements
  • While not remotely a fan of this omnishambles of a government (sic), some of us are old enough to remember how Mrs T was only there "temporarily" and soon one of the "grown ups" would be along to take over....

Truss is not remotely in the same league as Thatcher - for one thing she hasn't got the intellectual heft behind her that Thatcher enjoyed, or the ability to communicate, or "roll the pitch".

My general point was that (as misappropriated to Samuel Clemens), reports of her imminent departure may be greatly exaggerated.

Mind you, as one Tory MP of that era helpfully observed "The Tory Party only ever panics in a crisis".....
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Exc- Big row in Whitehall as Truss pushes ahead w unlimited ‘investment zones’ despite costs row. Officials in HMT concerned about not capping number of areas allowed to get favourable tax and planning. By me, ⁦@rowenamason⁩ & ⁦@breeallegretti⁩ https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/30/liz-truss-to-push-ahead-with-unlimited-investment-zones-despite-costs-row?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Scott_xP said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

No sense whatever of an imminent U-turn in Downing Street on Budget. One source says: 'We've got an 80-seat majority and we've done nothing with it. We have an opportunity now to push through reforms to things that have been holding Britain back for years. If not now, when?'
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1575866749106327552

They have gone full tonto...

Yes, but who is the "source" saying this? Is it a cabinet minister? One of the pretty young spads? A civil servant? It does sound a bit like one of our PB Conservatives....
    You can absolutely see the logic.
    There are many worthwhile reforms which the government has simply dodged because they are unpopular.

But Truss has got it all wrong. Unpopularity is not the actual objective in itself.
    I think this is the only way it ends.

The markets implode. "We expect to be unpopular"

The polls explode. "We have an 80 seat majority"

They can't get a vote through the commons. "Ummm"
    Maybe that is the plan. Crazy, but these are crazy times.

Part of Boris'n'Dom's evil genius was to spend autumn 2019 winding the political system up to insanity. There was that long run where they couldn't get anything through the Commons at all. That then led to "give me a big majority to make all this stop", which we did.

We've already had Truss as Cargo Cult Maggie, maybe this is her dumbly copying BoJo's moves without understanding them. If she is putting up a stupid budget plan in the hope of smoking out traitors and then getting the public to give her a massive mandate... I don't see it working.
  • Carnyx said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

On the Beach, surely?
    No Highway for sure, it presaged the De Havilland Comet saga.
  • kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Ideally we hang on til Wednesday for Armageddon because I've got La Dame de Pic on Tuesday.
    Oh jeez are we putting our bids in. Mon/Tues I'm in Paris; Thurs I have a drinks, then Friday off for the weekend.

So I have a window I suppose on Weds but if people are busy that night then I'm happy to bump it to next week.
    We have an ideal diversion planned for Monday. We're off to hear Max Hastings talk about the Cuban Missile Crisis.
  • PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

Nah, that was the French.
    Thousands of Londoners have been warned they face a major mortgage “shock” with some paying an extra £10,000 a year as the Bank of England raises interest rates to tackle soaring inflation #frontpage🗞️ https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/mortgage-rise-london-pound-sterling-liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng-b1029298.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1664533392 https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1575879821518856193/photo/1
  • "a lot"?

One thing people need to watch. The Tories have suffered an unprecedented poll collapse. But there are now a lot of polls floating around from companies that are clearly just trying to generate publicity by posting increasingly fantastical numbers.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1575876449294114817

Most of these seem pretty well established:

Current Labour Lead By Pollster:

YouGov: LAB +33%
    Omnisis: LAB +32%
    PeoplePolling: LAB +30%
    Survation: LAB +21%
    Techne: LAB +20%
    Deltapoll: LAB +19%
    Redfield & Wilton: LAB +17%

(All fieldwork between 27-30th)

Average: 🌹 LAB +24.6%

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1575874214170484737
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Does Anthony Ward Thomas have an express service?
    Trust me, UK's Truss pursues charm offensive at her party conference http://reut.rs/3RrbhXN https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1575880755527442432/photo/1
    Scott_xP said:

Trust me, UK's Truss pursues charm offensive at her party conference http://reut.rs/3RrbhXN https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1575880755527442432/photo/1

I'd hate to see her when she's not being charming
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398

Truss is not remotely in the same league as Thatcher - for one thing she hasn't got the intellectual heft behind her that Thatcher enjoyed, or the ability to communicate, or "roll the pitch".

My general point was that (as misappropriated to Samuel Clemens), reports of her imminent departure may be greatly exaggerated.

Mind you, as one Tory MP of that era helpfully observed "The Tory Party only ever panics in a crisis".....
    I don't think Truss is going anywhere as I don't see how it helps the Tories.

I do expect them to neuter her to some degree. Her 'I don't care what anyone says or thinks, or that I have no evidence backing up what I am saying' approach isn't going to fly with them whilst in the doldrums.
  • Another reason to strip the Dutch shunt of his 2020 title.

Red Bull have been accused of breaching the budget cap in Max Verstappen’s maiden championship-winning season last year, which could result in penalties.

All ten teams have submitted their accounts for 2021 — the first year for which the budget cap was set at $145 million (about £115 million) — and are waiting for the FIA, Formula One’s governing body, to issue compliance certificates on October 5.

However, reports have emerged from two respected publications — Auto Motor und Sport in Germany and Gazzetta dello Sport in Italy — suggesting that two of the teams have breached the limit. They are understood to be a minor breach by Aston Martin and a more significant one by Red Bull.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/red-bull-accused-of-significantly-exceeding-budget-cap-for-max-verstappen-s-maiden-title-0p0gxd2g2
  • War Monitor
    @WarfareReports
    ·
    1m
    ⚡️⚡️Ukraine has the right to retake Ukrainian territory even if it leads to nuclear war—Stoltenberg
  • 45p issue not looking so important tonight.
  • "a lot"?

One thing people need to watch. The Tories have suffered an unprecedented poll collapse. But there are now a lot of polls floating around from companies that are clearly just trying to generate publicity by posting increasingly fantastical numbers.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1575876449294114817

Most of these seem pretty well established:

Current Labour Lead By Pollster:

YouGov: LAB +33%
    Omnisis: LAB +32%
    PeoplePolling: LAB +30%
    Survation: LAB +21%
    Techne: LAB +20%
    Deltapoll: LAB +19%
    Redfield & Wilton: LAB +17%

(All fieldwork between 27-30th)

Average: 🌹 LAB +24.6%

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1575874214170484737

Never trust those commie pinkos at GB news. Bound to be biased against the Tories.

War Monitor
    @WarfareReports
    ·
    1m
    ⚡️⚡️Ukraine has the right to retake Ukrainian territory even if it leads to nuclear war—Stoltenberg

Oh, great
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

As luck would have it I am just looking at my insurance policy.

There is no cover for:

10) War, terrorism, radioactive contamination and pressure waves
    Any claim resulting directly or indirectly from or in connection with:
    a) war, terrorism, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or warlike operations
    (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection,
    uprising, military or usurped power;
    b) ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or any
    nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel;
    c) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive
    nuclear assembly or nuclear component of it;
    d) pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or
    supersonic speed.

It's against the rules of Lloyd's and I assume also the companies market to write land based war risks.
  • WillG said:

PeterM said:
    Look at the streets around them in the long shots. It's a couple of pens for a few thousand people bussed in for the regime. This in a city of 12m people.
    The BBC certainly showed clips and it is obviously a much smaller crowd then Russian propaganda would have you believe
  • Eabhal said:

England
    Lab 53%
    Con 32%
    LD 11%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    SLab 29%
    SCon 11%
    SLD 7%

Wales
    WLab 53%
    WLD 18%
    WCon 16%
    PC 12%

(Survation; 29 September; 1,092)

Sub-samples twice in one afternoon!
    You spoilt bastards!

I get criticised if I post too few (cherry-picking).
    I get criticised if I post too many (bloody jocks).
    Next week is actually pretty good for me, for nuclear war. Got a couple of drinks, maybe, otherwise plenty of windows in the diary, afternoons best

Carnyx said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

On the Beach, surely?
    No Highway for sure, it presaged the De Havilland Comet saga.
    Mr Norway stayed mum on the issue - but concerns about DTD683 (and other such alloys) were present from way back. Did he have some inside info?
    edited September 2022

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

40 warheads, IIRC.

Apparently they also tried planning to bomb Norfolk to the Stone Age, but had to give up when their scientists explained they did not have any bombs that could progress forwards through the different eras yet.
    HMG was going to put Blue Streak in pioneering armoured underground silos in Norfolk but the Tory MPs went all NIMBY and dumped the bases on the Scots instread (true story).
    This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a weird stammered chant

"NOW - Crowd chants "Russia, Russia, Russia" in Moscow's Red Square as Putin makes an appearance."

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1575882405075787779?s=20&t=6Z_WQE_8H5SK-FkfFPaK9A
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    Leon said:

War Monitor
    @WarfareReports
    ·
    1m

Oh, great

Frying tonight.
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

40 warheads, IIRC.

HMG was going to put Blue Streak in pioneering armoured underground silos in Norfolk but the Tory MPs went all NIMBY and dumped the bases on the Scots instread (true story).
    The first silo was going to be in Wiltshire.

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

40 warheads, IIRC.

Oh, was it, really? I believe the hole for the test one still exists in Spadeadam in the middle of FA north of Hadrian's Wall (literally), but maybe yours was a service one.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

Eabhal said:

England
    Lab 53%
    Con 32%
    LD 11%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    SLab 29%
    SCon 11%
    SLD 7%

Wales
    WLab 53%
    WLD 18%
    WCon 16%
    PC 12%

(Survation; 29 September; 1,092)

Sub-samples twice in one afternoon!
    You spoilt bastards!

I get criticised if I post too few (cherry-picking).
    I get criticised if I post too many (bloody jocks).
    Hopefully get some proper polls around the SC decision.
  • Putin putting on quite a show as his troops are slowly surrounded in Lyman.

I wonder if he has been told yet?
    The Conservatives will lose the next election and must decide how to leave “some form of a legacy” to Labour, a senior Tory MP has said.

Sir Charles Walker, a former chairman of the 1922 Committee of Tory backbenchers, said that YouGov’s poll for The Times showing Labour with a 33-point lead was “pretty shattering” and reflected a “cliff-edge collapse” in Conservative support.

He told Times Radio: “There’s a general election in two years, at the most in just over two years. And I think it’s hard to construct an argument now that the Conservatives can win that general election. I suspect the conversation is, you know, how much do we lose it by? And what is our duty to the country?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weve-lost-the-next-election-says-senior-tory-charles-walker-5c8j520c2
  • pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

40 warheads, IIRC.

They are more interested in our RAF base i think...
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

40 warheads, IIRC.

Oh, was it, really? I believe the hole for the test one still exists in Spadeadam in the middle of FA north of Hadrian's Wall (literally), but maybe yours was a service one.
    They were looking at RNAS Crail as one site, and RAF Upavon as another. Upavaon would have been the development/test site for the rest of the program, in addition to being the first operational site.

Spadeadam was an engine development site, though there were some suggestions about turning it into a launch site. The holes there weren't for a full silo, more of a test of silo dining, IIRC.
    "We've got an 80-seat majority and we've done nothing with it. We have an opportunity now to push through reforms to things that have been holding Britain back for years. If not now, when?". Half a league, Half a league, Half a league onward...
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1575884952109215744
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1575866749106327552
  • Leon said:

"NOW - Crowd chants "Russia, Russia, Russia" in Moscow's Red Square as Putin makes an appearance."

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1575882405075787779?s=20&t=6Z_WQE_8H5SK-FkfFPaK9A

They had western-style pop bands on earlier just after Putin had decried colonialisation by the west and its decadent, satanic values.

He means you, Black Sabbath!
  • Leon said:

High on his own supply......
    @theipaper @BMGResearch Just 18% of people back the 'mini' budget and 55% oppose it.

But look at this table - every single measure in it is popular on net, *except* the end of the bonus cap and scrapping the 45p income tax rate.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/latest-polls-tory-voters-abandoned-party-liz-truss-budget-crisis-poll-1888362 https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1575884403946897413/photo/1
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:

The Conservatives will lose the next election and must decide how to leave “some form of a legacy” to Labour, a senior Tory MP has said.

Sir Charles Walker, a former chairman of the 1922 Committee of Tory backbenchers, said that YouGov’s poll for The Times showing Labour with a 33-point lead was “pretty shattering” and reflected a “cliff-edge collapse” in Conservative support.

He told Times Radio: “There’s a general election in two years, at the most in just over two years. And I think it’s hard to construct an argument now that the Conservatives can win that general election. I suspect the conversation is, you know, how much do we lose it by? And what is our duty to the country?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weve-lost-the-next-election-says-senior-tory-charles-walker-5c8j520c2

LOL. "duty to the country"? They should of bloody thought about that before they foistered a mad woman on us as their leader.
    Scott_xP said:

I don't know about this particular MP - he's possibly one of the less toxic ones - but I'd imagine that most Tory MPs will be thinking about 1. hanging on until the last possible moment, 2. how much money can we extract from the public purse, 3. how much money can we give to potential post-election employers, so they might take us on after we've received our marching orders, and 4. how badly can we damage the country, in the hope that we can get gullible voters to blame Labour when they're unable to fix the mess that we created?
  • Leon said:

Next week is actually pretty good for me, for nuclear war. Got a couple of drinks, maybe, otherwise plenty of windows in the diary, afternoons best

I often take a short mid-afternoon nap. Perhaps it could be arranged for then, so i can sleep through it all.
  • So like Brown in 2010, Liz intends to hold on as long as possible.

Not a sign they think they will win.
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

I often take a short mid-afternoon nap. Perhaps it could be arranged for then, so i can sleep through it all.
    Can't we just nuke Moscow? Get it over with on our own timescale. Book it in for a dull Tuesday afternoon.

You never know, the rest of Russia might just shrug and say 'thank God for that' and not bother firing back.
  • Scott_xP said:

@theipaper @BMGResearch Just 18% of people back the 'mini' budget and 55% oppose it.

But look at this table - every single measure in it is popular on net, *except* the end of the bonus cap and scrapping the 45p income tax rate.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/latest-polls-tory-voters-abandoned-party-liz-truss-budget-crisis-poll-1888362 https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1575884403946897413/photo/1

There is what was in the budget and there is how the budget was done. That explains this I reckon
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited September 2022
    PeterM said:
    You aren't the reincarnation of Dynamo by any chance? You seem to have popped up just as nhe was banned. Time will tell I guess

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Asking for a friend.

Three problems.
    A living policyholder.

40 warheads, IIRC.

They were looking at RNAS Crail as one site, and RAF Upavon as another. Upavaon would have been the development/test site for the rest of the program, in addition to being the first operational site.

Spadeadam was an engine development site, though there were some suggestions about turning it into a launch site. The holes there weren't for a full silo, more of a test of silo dining, IIRC.
    THanks. I'd like to see the test stand at Spadeadam but apparently it's only possible as part of an organised group - my hints to the local archaeol soc have gone unrequited alas.

Leon said:

Can't we just nuke Moscow? Get it over with on our own timescale. Book it in for a dull Tuesday afternoon.

You never know, the rest of Russia might just shrug and say 'thank God for that' and not bother firing back.
    @Flatlander - Leon's hacked your account!
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't know about this particular MP - he's possibly one of the less toxic ones - but I'd imagine that most Tory MPs will be thinking about 1. hanging on until the last possible moment, 2. how much money can we extract from the public purse, 3. how much money can we give to potential post-election employers, so they might take us on after we've received our marching orders, and 4. how badly can we damage the country, in the hope that we can get gullible voters to blame Labour when they're unable to fix the mess that we created?
    charles walker is one of the better tory mps....sadly there are few like him in the tory party....mostly its a collection of chancers and grifters
    The Tories have no choice - a u-turn on the 45p tax cut fiasco is essential. It is a dead policy. (Reaction leader @reactionlife) https://reaction.life/tories-have-no-choice-a-u-turn-on-45p-fiasco-is-essential/
    exc @theipaper

Nearly half of 2019 Tory voters have now abandoned the party - and the backlash against govt economic plans seems to be to blame.

Labour holds 17pt lead in @BMGResearch poll - enough for a 1997-style landslide election victory.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/latest-polls-tory-voters-abandoned-party-liz-truss-budget-crisis-poll-1888362
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

charles walker is one of the better tory mps....sadly there are few like him in the tory party....mostly its a collection of chancers and grifters
    It's the overuse of ellipses again.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,162
    Back in February at the start of the war I ran a location assessment to work out where to go in the event nuclear war looked likely, and what the trigger would be.

For the trigger, unless your job and family situation allows, it’s not feasible to go very early and sit it out in a far flung location. We need to late enough that we’re not blowing our children’s schooling or my job.

But leave it too late and you’re in the rush with millions of others and might struggle to make it out. Our current trigger is detonation of a tactical nuke by Putin.

Location wise I followed the scorecard approach I take at work when I’m advising multinationals on where to put a new operation. Variables were speed and cost to get there and back, Covid and visa entry requirements, number of flights per week, agricultural self sufficiency, cost and standard of living, distance from blast and fallout, and avoiding flight paths over potential targets.

Narrowed it down to Morocco or Ireland. Asia involved flying over CIS and E Europe and was too restrictive on entry requirements. S America also too difficult with visas and Covid rules for a quick getaway, and expensive to get to and back.

Morocco was first choice. I think on balance it still is, but Ireland still in the running.

• philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    On Truss, she is clearly lacking in communication skills, one to many, one to several and maybevone to one.
    She appears to be averse to listening or taking advice.
    She apparently doesn't consider gor one moment her popularity.
    That is the best feature of her. We do need to get away from politics of the focus group. It is impossible to govern competently by enacting nothing but popular measures.
    I am all gor unpopular politicians.
    Eabhal said:

Is there a shortage...

Ghedebrav said:

Seconded, though if of a nervous disposition and troubled by current events Id recommend staying well clear. You will not be getting much sleep or much done in the coming days.

Yes, fair warning.
  • While not remotely a fan of this omnishambles of a government (sic), some of us are old enough to remember how Mrs T was only there "temporarily" and soon one of the "grown ups" would be along to take over....

Liz Truss is a panto parody of Margaret Thatcher, similar to how Boris Johnson is a panto parody of Winston Churchill.

Highly doubt that EITHER alleged role model would be flattered, let alone amused, by these "tribute" acts.
    Exc: Big row in govt about "carpet bombing the entire country" with investment zones and blank cheque for biz tax relief.

Tory MP asks: “You either have investment zones or an investment country – if you want the latter, what’s the point in the former?”

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1575878717414539272

Leon said:

@Flatlander - Leon's hacked your account!
    I was definitely doing a bit of channeling there...

The world has gone insane though, so we might as well all do the same.
  • PeterM said:
    What’s that they’re singing?
    It's a song called "We need a victory", with the famous first line "Birds don't sing here", written for Bulat Okudzhava some time around 1970.

Here it is, sung by the gorgeous Keti Topuria, a Georgian lass whose group A-Studio made it big in Kazakhstan.

The lyrics in English:

No birds sing here,
    No trees grow;
    Only we, shoulder to shoulder,
    Grow into the earth.

The planet burns and turns
    Above our Motherland there’s smoke.
    And we need a victory.
    One for us all - we don't care about the cost.

Deadly fire awaits us
    But it’s powerless.
    Cast doubt aside; off into the night is leaving
    Our 10th paratroop battalion,
    Our 10th paratroop battalion.

Just as the fire dies down, another order sounds,
    The postman will go mad looking for us.

A crimson rocket is flying,
    Machine-gun rounds pound
    And we need a victory.

Deadly fire awaits us
    But it’s powerless.

From Kursk to Oryol the war has led us,
    To the enemy’s very gates: that, brother, is where we are.

Some day we’ll remember this
    And we won’t believe it outselves.
    And now we need a victory.

Deadly fire awaits us
    But it’s powerless.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'd hate to see her when she's not being charming
    Tbh, it was just the weird Trussian emphasis that meant it majored on the 'offensive' bit.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

So like Brown in 2010, Liz intends to hold on as long as possible.

Not a sign they think they will win.

No, I think she’s so deluded she thinks she will win.

Hate to see how they react when the growth they are convinced is coming doesn’t appear.

Scott_xP said:

There is what was in the budget and there is how the budget was done. That explains this I reckon
    All just poor presentation then?
  • pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Your nom de plume (if you excuse the pun), is clearly quite appropriate. Not in terms just of your obvious puffed out chest of self-importance, but also the miniscule size of your brain. Most MPs of all parties go into politics for positive reasons. While there are a number of dullards and charlatans in the Tory Party there are an equal number in the other parties too. Slandering them all because you are so partisan to be unable to see the good in someone of a differing political viewpoint just demonstrates your immaturity and general stupidity.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    edited September 2022
    Eabhal said:

PeterM said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely it's the poor use of ellipses that is the issue. I don't really like the idea but something like 'The tide turned...' seems to me to be ok. (Please do correct me)
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_xP said:

Exc: Big row in govt about "carpet bombing the entire country" with investment zones and blank cheque for biz tax relief.

Tory MP asks: “You either have investment zones or an investment country – if you want the latter, what’s the point in the former?”

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1575878717414539272

Business Rates are only £25bn of Government Revenue....
This discussion has been closed.