Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss isn’t working – politicalbetting.com

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Scott_xP said:

And the hits just keep on coming...

Financial Secretary to the Treasury Andrew Griffith MP says that "reducing the right to strike so that we can keep the economy moving" is in the government's growth plan and adds that the Chancellor and Bank of England are "working tightly together"

👉 https://trib.al/F9oKW6x https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1575731984588046336/video/1

Something the Truss government is right to focus.

Bloody parasitical railway people striking are ruining the soccer for the masses.

I'd allow employers to deduct one month's salary for every day an employee strikes.
    You do know that it’s the Department for Transport”s fault that everyone is striking…

Avanti needs sign off from the DfT (which has been refused ) to confirm the agreement that has been made between Avanti and the unions…
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    edited September 2022
    The destruction of the Tory party cannot come soon enough for me if they don't move PDQ to get rid of Truss. They have destroyed a significant part of value in pensions. They are attacking welfare. Their policies will not bring growth. There will be austerity mark 2 and public services will suffer even more.

Since 2016 the Tory party has attacked or undermined all sorts of independent institutions which uphold a democracy and help ensure good governance -

- the courts and the rule of law
    - The electoral commission
    - Parliament - in its refusal to allow it to scrutinise laws and Ministers contempt for select committes
    - ethical advisors
    - the civil service
    - The OBR
    - The Bank of England

Anything or anyone which stands in its way is attacked. It lies as freely as it breathes. Dishonesty is now baked into its DNA. Whatever this party is it is not conservative. It is a menace.

Labour will win but it will inherit one hell of a mess.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    She should hold her nerve and apologise for the errors made and row back on the 45p thing (which doesn't come in until next April anyway) and also the acceleration of the basic rate reduction. She should - but won't - seek a middle way on Sunak's planned increase in corporation tax. Show some financial sanity. This is her best hope - the chancellor's position is much more at risk I think.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849
    Welcome move by No10 today. In the space of 1 week we’ve gone from the OBR being dismissed to the PM turning up to its meetings. Turns out the credibility of the institution we created 12 years ago to bring honesty to the public finances is more enduring than that of its critics

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1575737214218092544
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,508
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS NECKLACE
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS
    Right on GPT3 heralding AGI
    Right on What3Words taking over mapping
    Right on Putin doing crazy crazy cray cray shit
    Right on Woke (but unproven)
    Right on Aliens being Definitely Something Weird

Also: unfortunately vaporised

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Probably, but not definitely, true. Short of direct admission, we'll never know for sure.

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Congratulations, you watch QVC.

In the same way that masturbating over a video of... well, let's not go there, shall we.

Errrr. No.

I have made a complete list of people who believe that Putin only did very boring and ordinary things.

Yep, defintely right wing on woke.

And I agree, Right On aliens are weird.
    Leon was also one of the very few posters here who was praising Putin (before the latest invasion of Ukraine)
    And now seems to be parroting kremlin lines:

1) it was the Americans who blew up the gas pipelines

2) Nato should force Ukraine to accept the annexations because of the nuclear threats.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Probably, but not definitely, true. Short of direct admission, we'll never know for sure.

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

In the same way that masturbating over a video of... well, let's not go there, shall we.

Errrr. No.

I have made a complete list of people who believe that Putin only did very boring and ordinary things.

Leon was also one of the very few posters here who was praising Putin (before the latest invasion of Ukraine)
    Leon posts two or three totally contradictory views on here over time, then screams "I was right!" if one of them comes true.

But he's wrong on most of the above. For one thing, in what weird mind-warping world is What3Words a 'mapping' service? It's a geolocation service that uses the maps of other services.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Scott_xP said:

Brilliant
  • Options
    Leon said:

I am, indeed, persuaded by the theory that Putin goes “all-in”, and Ukraine is effectively forced to cede the annexed oblasts, while NATO establishes a heavily militarised border across rump Ukraine.

A kind of Korean “solution”.

Russia will be an international pariah, though, so while on paper Putin will enjoy a tactical “win”, it will simply deliver long term impoverishment and loss of great power status.

How do you get from Putin going "all in" to that outcome? If there is a strong conventional response from NATO along the lines of sinking the Black Sea Fleet, what steps come next that end with Ukraine ceding the annexed oblasts?
    We will blink. And we will. We do not want to die for Kyiv. Do you? Do you want to see humanity essentially ended because a mad dog Russian fuck wants to rule Kharkiv and we don't approve?

We will take out the fleet (or whatever) as a warning, but then we will cease to arm Ukraine and we will demand that Zelensky seeks peace, by ceding the oblasts

This is horrible, but it is probably the BEST outcome conceivable for humanity if Putin Goes Rogue. He is Hitler with nukes. This was always the nightmare
    Chill dude. We’ve got this.

• Options

New 50p

Obviously we need it, and I don't know how long this sort of thing should take, but it feels awfully quick to have the new coin head ready. The funeral was only last Monday.

Though last Monday was about a year ago.
    Coloured coins?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Is Leon “Right On”?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Bizzare and rambling piece by Russian propagandist Solovyov. Sounds like someone staring defeat in the face.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1575550915855392768?t=8Wgy7Zgr6n_F5bnzoH0izg&s=19
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Even the most hardcore of the Russian cheerleaders on Twitter are just abandoning any scrap of attempted "this is all part of the plan" analysis at the news that Lyman has been cut off. They're just mainlining Copium at this point.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,340
    Stocky said:

She should hold her nerve and apologise for the errors made and row back on the 45p thing (which doesn't come in until next April anyway) and also the acceleration of the basic rate reduction. She should - but won't - seek a middle way on Sunak's planned increase in corporation tax. Show some financial sanity. This is her best hope - the chancellor's position is much more at risk I think.
    Her credibility, such as it was, is utterly shot.
    The part needs to decide whether to go down with her.
    The rest is detail.
  • Options

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Errrr. No.

Leon posts two or three totally contradictory views on here over time, then screams "I was right!" if one of them comes true.

But he's wrong on most of the above. For one thing, in what weird mind-warping world is What3Words a 'mapping' service? It's a geolocation service that uses the maps of other services.
    Bet on every horse in the race, then you cannot lose.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I am, indeed, persuaded by the theory that Putin goes “all-in”, and Ukraine is effectively forced to cede the annexed oblasts, while NATO establishes a heavily militarised border across rump Ukraine.

Russia will be an international pariah, though, so while on paper Putin will enjoy a tactical “win”, it will simply deliver long term impoverishment and loss of great power status.

How do you get from Putin going "all in" to that outcome? If there is a strong conventional response from NATO along the lines of sinking the Black Sea Fleet, what steps come next that end with Ukraine ceding the annexed oblasts?
    We will blink. And we will. We do not want to die for Kyiv. Do you? Do you want to see humanity essentially ended because a mad dog Russian fuck wants to rule Kharkiv and we don't approve?

(Snip)
    The problem with the above is that Putin does not want Kharkiv. At least, not alone. He wants most of eastern Europe, and for the rest of Europe to be under his thumb. That's his dream. He's failed to build Russia as a modern, forward-looking nation over the last two decades, so he wants to drag us all down to his level.

And if he's mad enough to use nukes to gain territory in Ukraine, he'll be mad enough to use them to gain territory elsewhere, or to blackmail civilised nations to do his bidding.

There's no way that ends well for us, or the world. We should never have let it get to this stage, but the last thing we should do is give in to his will once again.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

So is Labour landslide on the cards yet.

When did we last have landslide to landslide?

I answered that the other day. 1900 Con Landslide > 1906 Liberal Landslide

There is the example of 1935 (National Landslide) to 1945 (Lab Landslide) but that the 1900 to 1906 example would be closer to current developments.
    Starmer therefore, the most successful Labour leader of all time
    Let’s see how he does in an actual election shall we?

• Options
    More polling

Techne UK
    @techneUK
    NEW: Labour now lead by TWENTY points in Techne’s voting intention tracker.

Lab 47% (+6)
    Con 27% (-7)
    LibDem 11% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 4% (nc)

1,625 questioned on 28-29 September. Changes with 21-22 September.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited September 2022
    Out of interest, are there fruitcakes who actually support Loopy liz and this wretched Government? I think for once, we may have unanimity across PB.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bizzare and rambling piece by Russian propagandist Solovyov. Sounds like someone staring defeat in the face.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1575550915855392768?t=8Wgy7Zgr6n_F5bnzoH0izg&s=19

I wish Mitchell and Webb would do a Russian remake of the "Are we the bad guys?" sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Errrr. No.

2) Nato should force Ukraine to accept the annexations because of the nuclear threats.
    And 2 simply isn't acceptable because Russia will play the same gamebook for a few more years and then repeat the exercise...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Errrr. No.

Best understood, for now at least, as his following too much right wing Twitter, I think.
    And then using his not negligible imagination to try to make sense of it - an inherently futile exercise.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

OFF TOPIC

Help from the PB Brains Trust please.

I have my card records of my 3 Covid vaccination records in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name as I use this for pretty much all purposes.

I'm travelling to the US next month and the US requires proof of vaccination but in the name used in my travel documents. I assume a marriage certificate won't help.

Do I just ask my GP to change the name and, if so, how then do I get a vaccination record in that name in time for my travel. I have only just realised the issue and am leaving on 25th October.

Thanks in advance.

Have you asked the US embassy whether a marriage certificate would solve the problem?
    I have emailed the CDC in the US.

But the conference organisers in the US have now told me that the US isn't checking Covid status anymore.

I will ask my GP to change the name so that I can at least access my Covid status in the App. The card records aren't even accurate - one has my d.o.b and NHS number but only my first name and middle name. The other has my name and surname but no d.o.b or NHS number. And the booster has neither just the name of the vaccine.

Still if we're all nuked by Vlad and rendered penniless by Liz I won't be travelling anywhere....
    Have you got your ESTA already? I’d do so early because that’s where they used to conduct the COVID tests (although with me they cancelled them a couple of times the day of the flight and I had to explain to Homeland Security why they were idiots)

• Options
    "spending on capital projects and research and development would be the early targets for savings"

From a government that claims to put the need to restore the economy to growth above all else, difficult to imagine anything more counterproductive.

https://www.ft.com/content/b2b69e74-311a-46ff-a1c4-81b1880fd6f8
  • Options

Leon said:

(Snip)
    The problem with the above is that Putin does not want Kharkiv. At least, not alone. He wants most of eastern Europe, and for the rest of Europe to be under his thumb. That's his dream. He's failed to build Russia as a modern, forward-looking nation over the last two decades, so he wants to drag us all down to his level.

And if he's mad enough to use nukes to gain territory in Ukraine, he'll be mad enough to use them to gain territory elsewhere, or to blackmail civilised nations to do his bidding.

There's no way that ends well for us, or the world. We should never have let it get to this stage, but the last thing we should do is give in to his will once again.
    Either Europe or Russia will come out of this changed utterly.
    Do we want our civilisation remade by Putin ?

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

OFF TOPIC

Help from the PB Brains Trust please.

I have my card records of my 3 Covid vaccination records in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name as I use this for pretty much all purposes.

I'm travelling to the US next month and the US requires proof of vaccination but in the name used in my travel documents. I assume a marriage certificate won't help.

Do I just ask my GP to change the name and, if so, how then do I get a vaccination record in that name in time for my travel. I have only just realised the issue and am leaving on 25th October.

Thanks in advance.

Have you asked the US embassy whether a marriage certificate would solve the problem?
    I have emailed the CDC in the US.

But the conference organisers in the US have now told me that the US isn't checking Covid status anymore.

I will ask my GP to change the name so that I can at least access my Covid status in the App. The card records aren't even accurate - one has my d.o.b and NHS number but only my first name and middle name. The other has my name and surname but no d.o.b or NHS number. And the booster has neither just the name of the vaccine.

Think they stopped checking whether someone has Covid before they travel in June, but I think you still have to prove your vaccination status unless something changed recently?
    How about getting your official national vaccination certificate? Rather than relying on the cards?
  • Options

Lyman has become totemic this past week.

Is it simply because the capture or killing of 2000 Russians is a big deal, or does it have larger strategic significance?

2000 sounds neither here nor there for Russia.

It’s an important railway hub
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Foxy said:

If this is true, it seems it might not be just Russia staring defeat in the face:

Our sources report: #Lukashenko agreed to deploy 120K soldiers 🇷🇺 during November-February. 🇧🇾 undertakes to supply 100K mobilized soldiers in addition. Lukashenko is preparing for a full-scale war. The West must issue an ultimatum he cannot refuse

https://twitter.com/PavelLatushka/status/1575450978685444104

The author is a former member of Lukashenko's government who now sides with the opposition. So he would have reason to try and stir things up between the west and Belarus.

However, it would be a logical move by Putin. Russia badly needs more trained soldiers and it can't call on more of its own. Moreover, bringing Belarus formally into the war would tie it even more closely to Russia.

That said, given the state of the Belarusian army and the tenuous hold Lukashenko has on power mobilising the Belarusian army would bring, to say the least, significant problems of its own.

Putin and Lukashenko both being toppled as a result of their unprovoked invasion of a neighbour everyone expected to last about five minutes against the Russian army would be actually hilarious. That fat old fool Solovyov would look really silly then.
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Errrr. No.

And 2 simply isn't acceptable because Russia will play the same gamebook for a few more years and then repeat the exercise...
    The argument that we should become Putin's enforcer because he has nukes is pretty sick.
  • Options
    After days of not saying anything, Truss went on BBC local radio stations ahead of Tory conference next week. However, breaking her silence has done nothing to reassure her backbenchers. Her halting performances suggested she was not ready for the backlash her policies have caused. She sounded surprised by the questions.

If they did row back on tax cuts, Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng would be in office but not in power. The Truss revolution would be over just weeks after it had started.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/for-unbowed-truss-theres-no-easy-way-out-d0g282dth
  • Options

Roger said:

There is something of the cloying arrogance of Eton College running through the Tory problems of the last two years.

Time for a major reboot

If you look at the background of previous PMs, the problem is obviously Oxford. From memory (might be wrong), there were six candidates for PM this time around from the Conservative ranks, only two of whom had been to Oxford. Both of those got through to the final two.

Forget Eton; ban anyone's who has had a sniff of Oxford from being PM. ;)
    Didn't Kwarteng go to Cambridge? I believe he was at Trinity with that other highly suspect individual, Smithson Jnr.

Birds of a feather in my opinion.... ;)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

"spending on capital projects and research and development would be the early targets for savings"

From a government that claims to put the need to restore the economy to growth above all else, difficult to imagine anything more counterproductive.

https://www.ft.com/content/b2b69e74-311a-46ff-a1c4-81b1880fd6f8

Britain's main growth industry seems to be extracting short-term profit while running things into the ground. And in part, that's because we vote for it.

From that point of view, Trussonimics makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Errrr. No.

Bet on every horse in the race, then you cannot lose.
    We had another poster who used to do that, bloke called SeanT.

He doesn't seem to be around much any more, which is shame because he could be quite entertaining even though he was as mad as a box of frogs.

He was at his finest over Sindy, where I think he predicted just about every possible combination of votes.
  • Options

Lyman has become totemic this past week.

Is it simply because the capture or killing of 2000 Russians is a big deal, or does it have larger strategic significance?

2000 sounds neither here nor there for Russia.

It’s an important railway hub
    It's got lots of strategic points.
  • Options

Britain's main growth industry seems to be extracting short-term profit while running things into the ground. And in part, that's because we vote for it.

From that point of view, Trussonimics makes perfect sense.

There is another article in the FT today saying that Truss is right to pursue the goal of growth, but she has no fucking clue how to go about it (I paraphrase)
  • Options

Roger said:

There is something of the cloying arrogance of Eton College running through the Tory problems of the last two years.

Time for a major reboot

If you look at the background of previous PMs, the problem is obviously Oxford. From memory (might be wrong), there were six candidates for PM this time around from the Conservative ranks, only two of whom had been to Oxford. Both of those got through to the final two.

Didn't Kwarteng go to Cambridge? I believe he was at Trinity with that other highly suspect individual, Smithson Jnr.

Birds of a feather in my opinion.... ;)
    No, I think the latter has done OK, in commendable defiance of those early disadvantages.

• Options
    "It's all about generating growth."
    Me, explaining to my wife why testing certain theories of mine, in the bookies last week, means that some men will shortly be round to take the car and the telly.

https://twitter.com/ExcelPope/status/1575733342837743616
  • Options
    This thread is

one of the few remaining Tory voters after seeing the latest YouGov poll

• Options
    murali_s said:

Out of interest, are there fruitcakes who actually support Loopy liz and this wretched Government? I think for once, we may have unanimity across PB.

Not sure....maybe William Glenn, possibly Bart Roberts.

Anyway, who wants unanimity. It's the range that makes the Site what it is.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    As I predicted…
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-63086562

Very quiet on here about this, and buried on the bbc. Agenda?
    It’s not great, but it could be worse.
  • Options

Roger said:

Time for a major reboot

Typical Cambridge leftie… if you can’t win under the existing rules just change them…

• Options

As I predicted…

If it was the other way round Scott would have done 20 retweets by now
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Scott_xP said:

"It's all about generating growth."
    Me, explaining to my wife why testing certain theories of mine, in the bookies last week, means that some men will shortly be round to take the car and the telly.

https://twitter.com/ExcelPope/status/1575733342837743616

Excellent!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

As I predicted…

Revisions never get anywhere near as much attention as they should.
This discussion has been closed.