Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss isn’t working – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Here's a stray thought: Perhaps a few opposition Western politicians should start to speculate about territorial losses -- for Putin.

For example, in the US, Texas Senator Ted Cruz might point to the large number of men leaving Russia, and suggest a place for them. Perhaps St. Petersburg should become a "free city", he could suggest. Subject, of course to an internationally-supervised referendum.

(You want opposition politicians doing this, because that keeps it from looking like a government trial balloon,but still brings up the issue.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS NECKLACE
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS
    Right on GPT3 heralding AGI
    Right on What3Words taking over mapping
    Right on Putin doing crazy crazy cray cray shit
    Right on Woke (but unproven)
    Right on Aliens being Definitely Something Weird

Also: unfortunately vaporised

You forgot: Right Wing (very).
  • Options

IT HAS HAPPENED! TOLD YOU!

20 point lead!

No, you were wrong.
    33 point lead.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

carnforth said:

I am, indeed, persuaded by the theory that Putin goes “all-in”, and Ukraine is effectively forced to cede the annexed oblasts, while NATO establishes a heavily militarised border across rump Ukraine.

A kind of Korean “solution”.

Russia will be an international pariah, though, so while on paper Putin will enjoy a tactical “win”, it will simply deliver long term impoverishment and loss of great power status.

You think that, if Putin gets his oblasts, and keeps his land-bridge to Crimea, he would tolerate US/NATO bases in rump-of-ukraine?
    Well, a direct attack on US/NATO would be insane, and strategically non-useful.

He can eminently sell annexation of south eastern Ukraine as a win.

I just don't see that happening. Ukraine will continue to fight and take back territory.

These are not division sized Ukranian armoured forces, they are dispersed mobile tactical teams. Nukes are far too blunt against them.

If Russias missiles and fuses still work.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Just to add on Nostradamus, I always find it fascinaing that one of his predictions for our specific period was as specific as this :

"The false message about the rigged election, to run through the city stopping the broken pact; voices bought, chapel stained with blood, the empire contracted to another one."

Let's hope he was right then that next period will bring better times after a bad one, as that means we're all still here.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

I am, indeed, persuaded by the theory that Putin goes “all-in”, and Ukraine is effectively forced to cede the annexed oblasts, while NATO establishes a heavily militarised border across rump Ukraine.

Russia will be an international pariah, though, so while on paper Putin will enjoy a tactical “win”, it will simply deliver long term impoverishment and loss of great power status.

How do you get from Putin going "all in" to that outcome? If there is a strong conventional response from NATO along the lines of sinking the Black Sea Fleet, what steps come next that end with Ukraine ceding the annexed oblasts?
    We will blink. And we will. We do not want to die for Kyiv. Do you? Do you want to see humanity essentially ended because a mad dog Russian fuck wants to rule Kharkiv and we don't approve?

We will take out the fleet (or whatever) as a warning, but then we will cease to arm Ukraine and we will demand that Zelensky seeks peace, by ceding the oblasts

This is horrible, but it is probably the BEST outcome conceivable for humanity if Putin Goes Rogue. He is Hitler with nukes. This was always the nightmare
  • Options

New 50p

Obviously we need it, and I don't know how long this sort of thing should take, but it feels awfully quick to have the new coin head ready. The funeral was only last Monday.

Though last Monday was about a year ago.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Being monomaniac and monotonous on subjects does not mean being right.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Tory MP rebels mobilising to vote against the scrapping of the 45p top rate of income tax

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1575603497529397249?s=20&t=ZwiDaHHGex4uBJiTTBDaSQ
  • Options
    Keir Starmer.

The Tony Blair of 2022.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

You think that, if Putin gets his oblasts, and keeps his land-bridge to Crimea, he would tolerate US/NATO bases in rump-of-ukraine?

I just don't see that happening. Ukraine will continue to fight and take back territory.

These are not division sized Ukranian armoured forces, they are dispersed mobile tactical teams. Nukes are far too blunt against them.

If Russias missiles and fuses still work.
    Hope so.

But while people talk about Ukraine being existentially committed versus Russia, there is also an imbalance (it seems to me) between the West’s willingness to resort to WMD against Russia, and Russia’s willingness to do so inside Ukraine.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How do you get from Putin going "all in" to that outcome? If there is a strong conventional response from NATO along the lines of sinking the Black Sea Fleet, what steps come next that end with Ukraine ceding the annexed oblasts?
    We will blink. And we will. We do not want to die for Kyiv. Do you? Do you want to see humanity essentially ended because a mad dog Russian fuck wants to rule Kharkiv and we don't approve?

We will take out the fleet (or whatever) as a warning, but then we will cease to arm Ukraine and we will demand that Zelensky seeks peace, by ceding the oblasts

This is horrible, but it is probably the BEST outcome conceivable for humanity if Putin Goes Rogue. He is Hitler with nukes. This was always the nightmare
    On the contrary, the arms would pour into Ukraine, and no one will demand that Zelensky codes the oblasts.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

If it does work, would he be tempted to do it in belarus too?
    Belarus is a Russian ally
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

Keir Starmer.

The Tony Blair of 2022.

Fuck. Which country is he going to bomb on a false prospectus in 2026?
  • Options
    German journalist

"Had a lot of discussions in Warsaw today.
    Everyone emphasizes that the next days will be decisive for Ukraine, Russia and the world.
    Many see the possibility of Russia escalating by using nuclear weapons and once again pulling Belarus into the war.
    All agree, Putin lost his mind."

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1575615861515120640?s=20&t=m47Xj1wu5sKxzXeHF8XBog
  • Options
    @TSE @MikeSmithson why is @MISTY banned?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

Keir Starmer.

The Tony Blair of 2022.

In his dreams! Were you even born in 1995 when Blair was in the ascendancy?
  • Options
    Ukrainian MP

"Yes, nuclear attack from #russia is likely. Yes, we are googling what to do in case of such an attack. No, #Ukraine will not continue fighting to exist. No, this is no reason to sit down and negotiate with the aggressor."

https://twitter.com/lesiavasylenko/status/1575599577431887872?s=20&t=m47Xj1wu5sKxzXeHF8XBog
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

On the contrary, the arms would pour into Ukraine, and no one will demand that Zelensky codes the oblasts.
    What, with Putin letting off nuclear bombs?

You're a fool
  • Options
    Can Russia be expelled from the UN?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,616

Wasn’t it casting aspersions on a pollster?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    How much influence does China have on Putin?

That is the key question when considering Putins nuclear strategy.

I think it’s pretty likely China have let Putin know their red lines. If they have, nuclear weapons will be one of them.

I still think it’s fairly unlikely either Putin or NATO will use nuclear weapons in the short/medium term.

Perhaps 10%

Alarmingly high, but keep it in perspective.
  • Options
    "Politico: US asks China, India to convince Putin not to use nuclear weapons.

The. U.S. officials are urging countries of the Pacific region to put pressure on Putin and communicate to him that the use of nuclear weapons will have a harsh response, Politico reports."

https://twitter.com/recon_officer/status/1575488810879623168?s=20&t=b8ZLMJYOL_6q5GOTG0qrYw
  • Options
    Doesn’t seem like it; needs Security Council to approve.
  • Options

OGH can ban anyone he likes and doesn't need to explain himself to anyone.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Scott_xP said:

When did she become ‘Miss’ Truss?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps even her long-suffering husband has finally thrown in the towel.
  • Options
    ping said:

I think it’s pretty likely China have let Putin know their red lines. If they have, nuclear weapons will be one of them.

I still think it’s fairly unlikely either Putin or NATO will use nuclear weapons in the short/medium term.

Perhaps 10%

Trouble is, I think there's a general suspicion that Putin has become insane (for whatever reason... possibly illness?) and is getting more irrational as time goes along.

So the normal calculations probably don't work... A mad man has hundreds of nuclear weapons... it is THE nightmare scenario as @Leon said.
  • Options
    So is Labour landslide on the cards yet.

When did we last have landslide to landslide?

Hope this puts to bed the idea this is 2015 repeat.

In 2020, we were saying Labour was finished with a smaller Tory lead than this. So I conclude, the Tories are over and should now split
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

And a right silly twat, who is almost always wrong.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Keir Starmer.

The Tony Blair of 2022.

In his dreams! Were you even born in 1995 when Blair was in the ascendancy?
    Yes
  • Options
    ping said:

Perhaps 10%

You need to place yourself in Putin's shoes

He has made a tremendous mistake: invading Ukraine. He thought it would be a 3 day sweep to victory, now he is in Vietnam times 100. Also, he might actually lose, and therefore be deposed, and be sodomised with a bayonet like Gaddafi

He has tried to mobilise the country with 1m troops but half the best men have fled and he is now feeding meat into a grinder. Ukraine is better armed and more motivated. With NATO behind it, His economy is in meltdown and someone (AMERICA) has just blown up his big pricey hope of cash: Nordstream2

He is facing calamity and death unless he changes the game. So. What do you do, if you are him?

Seriously. What do you do that isn't intense escalation? Retreat really is not an option
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Her husband is Hugh O' Leary so she must go by her maiden name.
  • Options
    One interesting thing to note is that nobody seems to have recognised his annexations.

Some have said they outright won’t (Kazakhstan), others are “staying silent” (Cuba, Venezuela etc).

That’s encouraging.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2022
    GIN1138 said:

ping said:

Perhaps 10%

Trouble is, I think there's a general suspicion that Putin has become insane (for whatever reason... possibly illness?) and is getting more irrational as time goes along.

So the normal calculations probably don't work... A mad man has hundreds of nuclear weapons... it is THE nightmare scenario as @Leon said.
    Full Tonto. How right Wallace was.

Though surely he gets bumped off before the end of the world?

You'd have to be even more insane than Putin to obey a launch order. He's just an old, ill looking mental case. What's in it for you?
  • Options

The biggest poll lead for Blair before the 1997 election was 31%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election

43.5% wasn't it? Gallup/Telegraph 9 Jan 95
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I answered that the other day. 1900 Con Landslide > 1906 Liberal Landslide

There is the example of 1935 (National Landslide) to 1945 (Lab Landslide) but the 1900 to 1906 example would be closer to current developments.
  • Options
    I wonder how difficult to be for the West to have Putin thrown out of a tall building.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There is the example of 1935 (National Landslide) to 1945 (Lab Landslide) but that the 1900 to 1906 example would be closer to current developments.
    Starmer therefore, the most successful Labour leader of all time
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

OGH can ban anyone he likes and doesn't need to explain himself to anyone.
    Alright matey was just interested, calm down son
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

OFF TOPIC

Help from the PB Brains Trust please.

I have my card records of my 3 Covid vaccination records in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name as I use this for pretty much all purposes.

I'm travelling to the US next month and the US requires proof of vaccination but in the name used in my travel documents. I assume a marriage certificate won't help.

Do I just ask my GP to change the name and, if so, how then do I get a vaccination record in that name in time for my travel. I have only just realised the issue and am leaving on 25th October.

Thanks in advance.

Have you asked the US embassy whether a marriage certificate would solve the problem?
    I have emailed the CDC in the US.

But the conference organisers in the US have now told me that the US isn't checking Covid status anymore.

I will ask my GP to change the name so that I can at least access my Covid status in the App. The card records aren't even accurate - one has my d.o.b and NHS number but only my first name and middle name. The other has my name and surname but no d.o.b or NHS number. And the booster has neither just the name of the vaccine.

Still if we're all nuked by Vlad and rendered penniless by Liz I won't be travelling anywhere....
  • Options

I wonder how difficult to be for the West to have Putin thrown out of a tall building.

I'm holding out hope the generals will drop something "hot" into his tea ;)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

There is the example of 1935 (National Landslide) to 1945 (Lab Landslide) but that the 1900 to 1906 example would be closer to current developments.
    Starmer therefore, the most successful Labour leader of all time
    He's got to actually achieve the landslide yet... ;)
  • Options
    Facit & Shawforth (Rossendale)

CON: 43.5% (+12.2)
    IND: 27.6% (-15.3)
    LAB: 26.2% (+0.5)
    GRN: 2.6% (New)

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2021.

Its the greatest hold in history!
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited September 2022
    I reckoned the other night that if things didnt settle down by Christmas that the Conservatives wouldnt get near Labour again in this election cycle.

Update: Don't need to wait until Christmas, they won't.

All one can hope is that Conservative MPS dump on the mini budget at Westminster and seek to wipe it, or some of its provisions at least, out. Its the tax cuts that are the problem, the scale is insane.

Ukraine. Further to my post at start of the week regarding the battle around Lyman and an attempted encircling move by the Ukrainians, stories have it the encirclement is complete. The Russians dont seem able to break out and no sign of a relief attempt to create a corridor for a mass escape. No one quite knows how many Russians are in there but some have it in excess of 2000.
  • Options
    Helmshore (Rossendale) By-Election Result:

CON: 50.6% (+4.0)
    LAB: 37.1% (+0.5)
    GRN: 5.1% (-6.4)
    LDM: 4.3% (New)
    INDs: 2.9% (-2.4)

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022.

Fuck me Rossendale love the mini budget!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

OFF TOPIC

I have my card records of my 3 Covid vaccination records in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name as I use this for pretty much all purposes.

I'm travelling to the US next month and the US requires proof of vaccination but in the name used in my travel documents. I assume a marriage certificate won't help.

Do I just ask my GP to change the name and, if so, how then do I get a vaccination record in that name in time for my travel. I have only just realised the issue and am leaving on 25th October.

Thanks in advance.

Have you asked the US embassy whether a marriage certificate would solve the problem?

But the conference organisers in the US have now told me that the US isn't checking Covid status anymore.

I will ask my GP to change the name so that I can at least access my Covid status in the App. The card records aren't even accurate - one has my d.o.b and NHS number but only my first name and middle name. The other has my name and surname but no d.o.b or NHS number. And the booster has neither just the name of the vaccine.

Think they stopped checking whether someone has Covid before they travel in June, but I think you still have to prove your vaccination status unless something changed recently?
  • Options

One would hope the combined brains of the CIA. MI6, Mossad, the Bureau et al are working on this full tilt

If anyone in history needs taking out, it is Putin right now. Literally. At GMT 23:51 on the 29th September 2022 he is the biggest threat to human civilisation that humanity has ever faced. He is Hitler with nukes
  • Options
    LDs hold both Grappenhall seats in Warrington, figs to follow
    Argyll countrs tomorrow so thats it.
    Just one seat changed hands and the Tory vote was more resilient than expected given polling
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    Leon said:

One would hope the combined brains of the CIA. MI6, Mossad, the Bureau et al are working on this full tilt

If anyone in history needs taking out, it is Putin right now. Literally. At GMT 23:51 on the 29th September 2022 he is the biggest threat to human civilisation that humanity has ever faced. He is Hitler with nukes
    Hitler had absolute control of his government. Putin cannot make a speech when he wants to.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    edited September 2022

New 50p

How much is it worth in old money?
    It was worth £5 start of last Friday, and one and one half of potato under the new emergency system a week from today.
  • Options
    Grappenhall (Warrington) council by-election result:

LDEM: 55.7% (+8.8)
    CON: 27.2% (-9.8)
    LAB: 10.0% (+0.8)
    GRN: 7.0% (+0.2)

Votes cast: 1,925

Liberal Democrat HOLD.
  • Options
    Lyman has become totemic this past week.

Is it simply because the capture or killing of 2000 Russians is a big deal, or does it have larger strategic significance?

2000 sounds neither here nor there for Russia.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353

Must be great being an SKS fan with Truss as PM. He could enter masterchef and win with his pot noodle

Pot Noodle fans please explain.
    Spicy Curry.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

carnforth said:

Ynysybwl (Rhondda Cynon Taf) council by-election result:

PC: 59.0% (+3.5)
    LAB: 33.4% (-1.2)
    CON: 4.6% (+4.6)
    GWLAD: 1.9% (-8.0)
    GRN: 1.1% (+1.1)

Votes cast: 737

Plaid Cymru HOLD.

(GWLAD are centre right welsh nationalists, apparently. Anyone heard of them?)

Yeah they stand in a fair few, theyve got one county councillor on Ceredigion council
    If they stood everywhere, would they be Gwlad all over?
  • Options

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022.

Perhaps they can pay for it.
    Strip them of their treasure and have them pay reparations.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited September 2022

Anyway looking on the bright side Liz Truss has assured us several times today that after her intervention NO household will pay more than £2500 a year on energy bills. Wow! That is good news, I live in a six bedroom house and was already paying more than that last year...

Did she say who does pay for the freeze policy Pete?
    No but she was very pleased with herself, so excited in fact that she made the error to which I have hinted.

Anyway young Rabbit, like my children your tax pounds will be paying for this measure and the 45% tax reduction that won't trouble me, for years to come. I thank you in advance because I will be long dead by the time my debt to you is settled.
    You ain’t so dumb after all.

Just mischief.
    Dumber than a box of rocks Rabbit, but still smarter than Truss and Kwarteng together.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Ynysybwl (Rhondda Cynon Taf) council by-election result:

PC: 59.0% (+3.5)
    LAB: 33.4% (-1.2)
    CON: 4.6% (+4.6)
    GWLAD: 1.9% (-8.0)
    GRN: 1.1% (+1.1)

Votes cast: 737

Plaid Cymru HOLD.

(GWLAD are centre right welsh nationalists, apparently. Anyone heard of them?)

Yeah they stand in a fair few, theyve got one county councillor on Ceredigion council
    If they stood everywhere, would they be Gwlad all over?
    Rabbit wins the internet tonight
  • Options

Is it simply because the capture or killing of 2000 Russians is a big deal, or does it have larger strategic significance?

It's significance is that it says Russia is still LOSING, and losing badly, not winning

Some people don't seem to grasp this. The reason Putin might go postal is because he faces humiliation, not because he is thrilled by victory. He doesn't want to risk nuclear war, that is the act of a desperate man. But with every Ukrainian advance - even in the face of near-total Russian mobilisation - Putin grows more humiliated and more desperate

• Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited September 2022

I hope that thought is given to what happens if he is.

There's a massive element of being careful what you wish for with this. The next one isn't going to be a great guy, but the change could be in either direction. Might be Khrushchev... might be Beria.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Must be great being an SKS fan with Truss as PM. He could enter masterchef and win with his pot noodle

Spicy Curry.
    Beef and tomato
  • Options

1. Take it out and the Ukrainians can free up forces engaged in the wide encircling movement to further offensives
    2,. Its a major supply hub point so denying its use to Russia chokes Russian supply lines to other areas, meaning extended alternative routes and making it harder to maintain previous volumes of supply.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Can't afford real pot noodles go for speedy noodles.

BJO tip of the thread
  • Options
    Yokes said:

1. Take it out and the Ukrainians can free up forces engaged in the wide encircling movement to further offensives
    2,. Its a major supply hub point so denying its use to Russia chokes Russian supply lines to other areas, meaning extended alternative routes and making it harder to maintain previous volumes of supply.
    Ok thanks.
    Hopefully the pocket “closes” tonight/tomorrow.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Haven't the foggiest
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Reportedly there are calls for Russians Muslims to join a day of protest against the conscription operation

No idea if this is an official statement by some kind of authority but 6-7% of the population are Muslim and concentrated in a number of areas, so if this did ever take off, Putin is going to have a regional headache, in his own borders.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    Yokes said:

Reportedly there are calls for Russians Muslims to join a day of protest against the conscription operation

No idea if this is an official statement by some kind of authority but 6-7% of the population are Muslim and concentrated in a number of areas, so if this did ever take off, Putin is going to have a regional headache, in his own borders.

The regions of Russia have been just as oppressed by Moscow rule as Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltics have, whether that is the Muslims, the Cossacks or the Far East.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2021.

Errr - on those numbers, it's a Con gain from Ind
  • Options
    WillG said:

Yokes said:

The regions of Russia have been just as oppressed by Moscow rule as Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltics have, whether that is the Muslims, the Cossacks or the Far East.
    Doesnt mean they rise up en-masse on this issue. If they did, I'd suggest it would trigger a wider ripple of dissent amongst the population.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

OFF TOPIC

Thanks in advance.

Still if we're all nuked by Vlad and rendered penniless by Liz I won't be travelling anywhere....
    Cyclefree, was some good stuff on this (and previous?) thread re: to your post & situation, including IIRC info from US State Dep or maybe Embassy. There was also link to step-by-step process for getting right with the app, first step being to contact your GP.

Plus IanB said when he entered US recently, immigration didn't care and airline check was cursory.

Bon voyage, and enjoy the Windy City! Two friends of mine were there last week, and had a blast, going to plays, galleries & suchlike, they stayed somewhere in the Loop.

• Options
    Speaking of Chicago, apparently after recent, massive renovation, you can again visit the Blackstone Hotel on Michigan Ave, and ask to the the (in)famous "Smoke Filled Room" where the deal was done during the 1920 Republican National Convention that made Senator Warren G. Harding of Ohio the GOP nominee and next not-so-great President of the United States.

Blackstone Hotel also featured in other US presidential conventions for both parties, for example 1932 for Democrats & FDR, 1944 for Dems & Harry Truman (for FDR's VP), and 1952 for Republicans & Ike.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2021.

Those are the last time out figures, the vacancy was for a Tory elected on an earlier cycle
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2021.

Those are the last time out figures, the vacancy was for a Tory elected on an earlier cycle
    Thank you very much :-)
  • Options

The biggest poll lead for Blair before the 1997 election was 31%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election

43.5% wasn't it? Gallup/Telegraph 9 Jan 95
    Note also that, despite those mediocre to poor ratings, the LibDems pulled in 17% of the vote and a big haul of seats thru tactical voting.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

OFF TOPIC

Thanks in advance.

Think they stopped checking whether someone has Covid before they travel in June, but I think you still have to prove your vaccination status unless something changed recently?
    As above, dont worry about the US, talk to the carrier.

The worry about the US will be affording it when you get here, given that £1 buys you just $1 and a worthless coin.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022.

It's a local election for local people.
  • Options
    Looking at the pound this morning (t'other side of world), a little bit of relief but no way out of the woods. Truss (and KK who seems notably absent) really have a tricky run into the Conf. I still reckon she will endure but there is likely to be some blood on the carpet after Conference - KK has now backed himself into a corner and anything he says will now be given undue weight, in effect once the story moves onto him I think he is mince....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    There is something of the cloying arrogance of Eton College running through the Tory problems of the last two years.

Time for a major reboot
  • Options
    Roger said:

There is something of the cloying arrogance of Eton College running through the Tory problems of the last two years.

Time for a major reboot

If you look at the background of previous PMs, the problem is obviously Oxford. From memory (might be wrong), there were six candidates for PM this time around from the Conservative ranks, only two of whom had been to Oxford. Both of those got through to the final two.

Forget Eton; ban anyone's who has had a sniff of Oxford from being PM. ;)
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Yokes said:

Also if the Russians in the pocket are killed or captured, it proves the Ukrainians can do encirclements on a large scale. I understand that during the Kharkiv counteroffensive, most of the orcs retreated in time. This would be different. The effect on Russian morale would be big.

Here's hoping.
  • Options
    It hasn't garnered much attention, but the latest Senate polls seem to be showing a little bit of movement towards the Republicans.

Wisconsin seems to be moving to a clear (if small) Republican lead, while the gap in Pennsylvania has narrowed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Lyman is operationally encircled.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    . A huge story playing out, but not in the news yet.

In the Muslim North Caucasus, the threat for Russia has taken on a more dramatic flavor, with talk of secession.

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/1575515426053918723
  • Options
    NY public officials criticize DeSantis for voting against Hurricane Sandy relief
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3667755-ny-public-officials-criticize-desantis-for-voting-against-hurricane-sandy-relief/

I’d forgotten he was once a Congessman.
  • Options
    The standard of maternity care in Texas after the abortion ban

In the words of CO ObGyn Dr. Cohen, "You're not dying enough" "When asked, 'What will be enough, to make her sick enough, to warrant a procedure?' We were told basically a liver failure. Basically, a stroke. Basically, a 911 call," the woman's mother said.
    https://twitter.com/LauraChapin/status/1575642629928148992
  • Options
    BBC News - Record number of nurses quitting the NHS
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63080462
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Remind us of your opinion on Liz Truss when she became leader?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Leon said:

Well yes, and? In this neck of the woods we have been saying so for several years. However he is falling over his own feet and is facing serious trouble from his own people. Remember he is only the chairman of the board, The patience of the FSB is not limitless. Russia as a pariah state really limits their fun.

Also, go and change your armour.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Even if financial order is restored, Kwasi Kwarteng’s budget will hurt Britain’s economy https://econ.st/3ULJjcj
  • Options
    And the hits just keep on coming...

Financial Secretary to the Treasury Andrew Griffith MP says that "reducing the right to strike so that we can keep the economy moving" is in the government's growth plan and adds that the Chancellor and Bank of England are "working tightly together"

👉 https://trib.al/F9oKW6x https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1575731984588046336/video/1
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Scott_xP said:

Financial Secretary to the Treasury Andrew Griffith MP says that "reducing the right to strike so that we can keep the economy moving" is in the government's growth plan and adds that the Chancellor and Bank of England are "working tightly together"

👉 https://trib.al/F9oKW6x https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1575731984588046336/video/1

The death spiral continues....
  • Options
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Something the Truss government is right to focus.

Bloody parasitical railway people striking are ruining the soccer for the masses.

I'd allow employers to deduct one month's salary for every day an employee strikes.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Well yes, and? In this neck of the woods we have been saying so for several years. However he is falling over his own feet and is facing serious trouble from his own people. Remember he is only the chairman of the board, The patience of the FSB is not limitless. Russia as a pariah state really limits their fun.

Also, go and change your armour.
    I have said a few times that we have to be very careful, because there is a real risk that what comes next will make Putin's era look like a liberal renaissance.

The outlook is not good. The middle class are fleeing Russia.

Only time will tell.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon:

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak
    Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Right on Covid
    Right on Lab Leak

Probably, but not definitely, true. Short of direct admission, we'll never know for sure.

Right on THE TRUSS DRESS

Congratulations, you watch QVC.

In the same way that masturbating over a video of... well, let's not go there, shall we.

Errrr. No.

I have made a complete list of people who believe that Putin only did very boring and ordinary things.

Yep, defintely right wing on woke.

And I agree, Right On aliens are weird.
    Leon was also one of the very few posters here who was praising Putin (before the latest invasion of Ukraine)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Speaking of Chicago, apparently after recent, massive renovation, you can again visit the Blackstone Hotel on Michigan Ave, and ask to the the (in)famous "Smoke Filled Room" where the deal was done during the 1920 Republican National Convention that made Senator Warren G. Harding of Ohio the GOP nominee and next not-so-great President of the United States.

Blackstone Hotel also featured in other US presidential conventions for both parties, for example 1932 for Democrats & FDR, 1944 for Dems & Harry Truman (for FDR's VP), and 1952 for Republicans & Ike.

We were (one of) the last people to check out of the blackstone before it closed back in 2000.

It had closed the day before (Wednesday) with everyone moved to other hotels but we arrived back so late (11pm) and were leaving the next day so just stayed because it wasn’t worth the hassle of moving..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And I agree, Right On aliens are weird.

Are we on to this one yet?

https://twitter.com/HitchinLibrary/status/1575481422651232256
This discussion has been closed.