Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The US Midterms are looking more challenging for the GOP – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

I hate Putin and I think the Queen stuff is now ridiculous. Come at me

i dont think thats allowed...if you are slightly against the monarchy you are obviously pro Putin according to some on here
    People seem to be calling you a troll because they don’t have anything to actually debate you with, pathetic.
    yes and i havent even mentioned Putin once if you look at my posts.....
    Horse clearly isn't a troll because he's been here for years and we know something of his foibles.

thart may or may not be a troll but he is newly arrived and he punctuates and capitalises in a very similar manner to some we have had from Russia in the past. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens :smiley:
    I feel slightly responsible for him because he leapt into action when I posted some innocent (I thought) musings about the onlookers as HMQ went BP to P of W. I can't help seeing parallels between his findings of racism in the UK and a well known tyranny's diagnosis of Nazism in countries it proposes to invade.
    In general I think we should refrain from the troll-hunting stuff, as it can act as a deterrent against legitimate posters expressing views that they're perfectly entitled to hold. It's one of those irregular verbs:

I am the epitome of moderate opinion
    You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    You are right of course. All we are seeing here is low effort contrarianism.
    Oh no we're not.
    You're both wrong about that.
    I know ****ing Sainsburys were trying to push mince pies at me yesterday but this is just not Christmas yet.
    I like mince pies, wish you could get them all year round. Also blue Stilton is my favourite cheese (actually you can get that all year, it just plummets in price in December).
    Me too, which is the problem.
    I buy mincemeat and puddings in bulk after Christmas when they cost literally pennies and then just have them as and when.
    Seconded (on the puddings anyway). I love a Christmas Pudding in July.
    Can I put in a shout for fried Christmas Pudding and fried potatoes for post-Christmas breakfast? As much part of the end of December as World's Strongest Man.
    Fried in what rendering ? Butter ? Olive Oil.

Will deffo give it a bash this Xmas. 👍
    Lard or butter
    I tend to use olive oil because I'm an effete metropolitan. Also, it's next to the cooker. I expect butter is better.
    OO's not great if you are trying to fry up a crust on your dumpling or flash-cook an omelette,rather than soften shallots and garlic for your quinoa stew. Butter for dumpling, though we don't eat it very often anyway.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

There isn't going to be enough time for everyone to view the coffin who wants to do so. Regrettable.

Predictable.
    Inevitable
    I don't think it was predictable.
    I genuinely wouldn't have thought a week ago that over 1% of the population would be prepared to go to London and queue for an entire day for 5 seconds looking at a box.
    And yet - and this is from someone of a republican bent who finds pageantry tedious and whose hackles are raised by phrases like "your highness" - were it not for parental duties, I'd go tomorrow.
    The Queue is the best thing we've done in years.
    Plus, I genuinely did like the Queen.
    I'm genuinely sad that I won't get to go. I've been away all week with work and now the French air traffic controllers are delaying my return. This weekend is filled with a wedding reception and kids football and then the time will be gone. I'm sure I will regret not being able to make it.
    This is no joke, I’m actually looking forward to seeing The Queue

I can’t believe I typed that sincerely, but I did. I’m going to walk the whole length of the queue on Sunday. Ooh!

I reckon the Queue should be permanent. The same way we kept the London Eye even tho it was meant to be temporary
    A friend pointed out that it would be much quicker for everyone who wants to see the Queen to form a line and then for the Queen's coffin to be driven slowly past the queue. I still think it was a mistake not to have sent her down by train from Edinburgh, which would have achieved a similar purpose. I feel bad not to be doing the queue especially as it starts nit far from us in SE London, but I don't think I have 8 hours spare this weekend unfortunately.

It’s very close to being too late anyway. The wait is now 24 hours and rising. I’m guessing they will close the queue some time tomorrow

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

"The Queue's life is moving peacefully towards its close."
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Leon said:

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

Much speculation about who’s in #TheQueue and why, but little evidence. That is, until a doughty band of @uniessexgovt researchers began a survey (using the kinds of methods developed for studying protests). Survey ongoing but here are snippets based on the first 300 responses.

https://twitter.com/robjohns75/status/1570756794015948802

Good work.

60% Remain!
    It's perhaps the first cultural event that has significantly divided the Remainer faction.
    I think the death of her Maj is the first significant post-Brexit event in the UK

Everything else has been coloured by Brexit - even Covid and lockdowns - but this - a few nutters like James O Brien aside - is not tinged by Brexit, either way. It is something happening to post Brexit Britain
    You may be onto something there.
    One straw in the wind. The death of her Maj has meant @Scott_xP hasn’t posted much if anything about Brexit for a week

I’m sure he will return to Remoaner duty on Tuesday, but will he do it with the same vigour? I have my doubts. Maybe we are finally moving on
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Omnium said:

If we replaced "The Queue" with an airport travelator style conveyor belt THINK OF THE THROUGHPUT WE COULD ACHIEVE.

Efficiency in doing something rather pointless isn't a great gain.
    I reckon we combine it with something from Randall Munroe's (XKCD guy) book "What If", which was basically how long does it take for everyone to meet their soulmate if you put two lines of people together so that everyone in the world looks at everyone else (or such-like)
    A book, you say?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

If we replaced "The Queue" with an airport travelator style conveyor belt THINK OF THE THROUGHPUT WE COULD ACHIEVE.

I reckon we combine it with something from Randall Munroe's (XKCD guy) book "What If", which was basically how long does it take for everyone to meet their soulmate if you put two lines of people together so that everyone in the world looks at everyone else (or such-like)
    A book, you say?
    A very good book. Apparently a second "What If" book is also out now, just in the past few days.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

There isn't going to be enough time for everyone to view the coffin who wants to do so. Regrettable.

Predictable.
    Inevitable
    I genuinely wouldn't have thought a week ago that over 1% of the population would be prepared to go to London and queue for an entire day for 5 seconds looking at a box.
    And yet - and this is from someone of a republican bent who finds pageantry tedious and whose hackles are raised by phrases like "your highness" - were it not for parental duties, I'd go tomorrow.
    I'm genuinely sad that I won't get to go. I've been away all week with work and now the French air traffic controllers are delaying my return. This weekend is filled with a wedding reception and kids football and then the time will be gone. I'm sure I will regret not being able to make it.

I can’t believe I typed that sincerely, but I did. I’m going to walk the whole length of the queue on Sunday. Ooh!

I reckon the Queue should be permanent. The same way we kept the London Eye even tho it was meant to be temporary
    A friend pointed out that it would be much quicker for everyone who wants to see the Queen to form a line and then for the Queen's coffin to be driven slowly past the queue. I still think it was a mistake not to have sent her down by train from Edinburgh, which would have achieved a similar purpose. I feel bad not to be doing the queue especially as it starts nit far from us in SE London, but I don't think I have 8 hours spare this weekend unfortunately.

It’s very close to being too late anyway. The wait is now 24 hours and rising. I’m guessing they will close the queue some time tomorrow

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Do not worry. There will soon be a meta-queue to honour the memory of the queue, so you can queue to remember the queue to remember the Queen.

It would be very appropriate in this digital age.
    I forget who recommended a video game experience, ultra realistic and in real time like Desert Bus, but it shouldn't be too hard.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    MaxPB said:

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

Much speculation about who’s in #TheQueue and why, but little evidence. That is, until a doughty band of @uniessexgovt researchers began a survey (using the kinds of methods developed for studying protests). Survey ongoing but here are snippets based on the first 300 responses.

60% Remain!
    56% Tory voters, in London! Didn't think there were that many of us left.
    Among the educated middle classes it's the Tories that now keep quiet about it; the precise opposite of the position when I was young. Being a Tory voter is on the way to becoming as tainted as being fervently religious.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?
    A very good book. Apparently a second "What If" book is also out now, just in the past few days.
    It has, and it is also very good. Should be finished with it this evening
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Pussy cat, pussy cat, what did you do?
    I've been to London to visit The Queue!
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

You'd need something like this - an observation coach with big windows, with the seats taken out and a bier put in. Sadly the onluy one I know of in the UK is this same one, on the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway. (Went in its predecessor once. Brilliant idea and worth every penny of the extra fare.)

https://www.facebook.com/festrail/photos/a.282327925715/10162888483200716/?type=3

Edit: have found this standard gauge one.

https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/locomotives-stock/pullman-observation-car-no14
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    edited September 2022

I feel there has been insufficient interest in the news that the average Slovenian family will have a higher living standard than the average British one by 2024, and the average Polish family will surpass the British one by 2030, on current trajectories.

At least you are saying "living standard" rather than the "immigrants will take a pay cut" wording from the article.

Well, it's John Burn-Murdoch, so slick presentation and getting it wrong are nailed-on, as the below-the-line commenters on that article are pointing out. Not to mention that current trajectories don't continue.

It's PPP. The average taiwanese family has had a higher standard of living on this measure than the average british family for a decade or more, as their government likes to remind them. Good for them, good for the Slovenians, and good for the poles.

If we had sensible house prices, and sensible rent, we would be able to purchase more things with our money too. Perhaps that could do with some serious attention,
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Do not worry. There will soon be a meta-queue to honour the memory of the queue, so you can queue to remember the queue to remember the Queen.

I forget who recommended a video game experience, ultra realistic and in real time like Desert Bus, but it shouldn't be too hard.
    Well it certainly was not me as I have never heard of a desert bus. Data buses are more my kind of thing :D
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

Good work.

60% Remain!
    It's perhaps the first cultural event that has significantly divided the Remainer faction.
    I think the death of her Maj is the first significant post-Brexit event in the UK

Everything else has been coloured by Brexit - even Covid and lockdowns - but this - a few nutters like James O Brien aside - is not tinged by Brexit, either way. It is something happening to post Brexit Britain
    You may be onto something there.
    One straw in the wind. The death of her Maj has meant @Scott_xP hasn’t posted much if anything about Brexit for a week

I’m sure he will return to Remoaner duty on Tuesday, but will he do it with the same vigour? I have my doubts. Maybe we are finally moving on
    You are stepping (or rather stomping) on your own hypothesis in 2nd sentence methinks.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

It was I!

There is btw a complete playthrough of the game on Sega at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtiHla1dNg&ab_channel=NintendoComplete

Strong recommend skipping the middle section
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

60% Remain!
    The Truss Effect.
    So The Queue is just an excuse, so they have a chance of maybe seeing the Prime Minister in "action"?
    Does that involves S&M gear? Leon seems quite certain about it......... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

It was I!

There is btw a complete playthrough of the game on Sega at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtiHla1dNg&ab_channel=NintendoComplete

I mainly remember if for the Desert Bus for Hope charity fundraiser which would go for about a week non stop.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    edited September 2022

I feel there has been insufficient interest in the news that the average Slovenian family will have a higher living standard than the average British one by 2024, and the average Polish family will surpass the British one by 2030, on current trajectories.

I'm not entirely surprised. I imagine that it's probably driven by ludicrous housing costs.

Meanwhile, for those who may have missed it earlier, this:

#UPDATE Russian President Vladimir Putin told Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday that he wanted to end the conflict in Ukraine as soon as possible and understood that India had concerns about the fighting.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1570768963922960385

This after Putin was reportedly upbraided publicly by Modi for his warmongering.

The fuck is technically telling the truth, insofar as he wants to end the conflict in Ukraine as quickly as possible by the expedient of destroying Ukraine completely.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Well it certainly was not me as I have never heard of a desert bus. Data buses are more my kind of thing :D
    WHY IS THERE (AS YET) NO PB BOTTLE BUS????
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?
    Ok. I'll buy it and I'll read it, but if it's rubbish then I'll whinge in your direction.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

I'm not entirely surprised. I imagine that it's probably driven by ludicrous housing costs.

Meanwhile, for those who may have missed it earlier, this:

#UPDATE Russian President Vladimir Putin told Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday that he wanted to end the conflict in Ukraine as soon as possible and understood that India had concerns about the fighting.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1570768963922960385

This after Putin was reportedly upbraided publicly by Modi for his warmongering.

The fuck is technically telling the truth, insofar as he wants to end the conflict in Ukraine as quickly as possible by the expedient of destroying Ukraine completely.
    Hence the Russian Troll/STW 'moral' approach of 'War must be stopped as soon as possible; Ukraine stopping fighting achieves that'.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Tis of course an anagram if you are playing with 3D scrabble type letters.

The Queue is under medical supervision after doctors became concerned for its health, Buckingham Palace has said.
  • Options

It is what the UK voted for. Apparently.

But at least it will not be a Euro living standard and that will make all the difference. Remember that we were told the gains of Brexit would be long term and turn up around 2090 or so!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited September 2022
    Chatting to a Bajan heritage lady today, very pro monarchy.

Reckons the way the Royals have behaved towards uppity Meghan Markle is why the Black Commonwealth will skedaddle ASAP.

The fire was there, the accelerant was added.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

It was I!

Sounds about as exciting as doing the Nullarbor Plain on Train Simulator (not that I have tried). But maybe that is the point.
  • Options
    Driver said:

I thought the country was now 60% Remain anyway.

(Filtering out don’t knows).

The country is 0% Remain now, because there is no Remain...
    Our view of Brexit is so bad already?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable
    We had a good baseline from the Queen Mum, it was going to be more in demand than that. And limited by the logistics of how many people can pass through in x days and wanting the queue to be sub 12 hours (there are already people fainting etc en route). So in fact very predictable imo.
    We did - but I don't remember anything on this scale for the QM.
    The number of keen royalists I know in real life is zero. All the monarchists I know are monarchists in the "don't see a republic would be any better" mould. And yet, here they all are, and I wish I could join them.
    200,000 queued for the QM

The maths is not hard
    The HM Queue is passing the HM Queen in four streams, though, so you have to factor in queue dynamics. And how effectively they are nudging people along after their hours of waiting....
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?
    Ok. I'll buy it and I'll read it, but if it's rubbish then I'll whinge in your direction.
    You can see a bunch he does online (I don't think all of them end up in the book, and some are book exclusive I assume).

https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited September 2022

Reckons the way the Royals have behaved towards uppity Meghan Markle is why the Black Commonwealth will skedaddle ASAP.

Two would have to leave just to get back to the count we had at the start of the year!
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

60% Remain!
    The Truss Effect.
    So The Queue is just an excuse, so they have a chance of maybe seeing the Prime Minister in "action"?
    Does that involves S&M gear? Leon seems quite certain about it......... :open_mouth:
    Perhaps. Was thinking of her just standing around as an extra bit of black-draped scenery.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,934
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Tis of course an anagram if you are playing
    with 3D scrabble type letters.

The Queue is under medical supervision after doctors became concerned for its health, Buckingham Palace has said.
    We will know for sure when Queue Edwards appears in his black tie on the BBC.

• Options
    On topic, wake up America, you had the Beer Hall Putsch on January 6th, do you really want the Reichstag Fire?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022

Yes, it's hugely important for the royal family to reintegrate her, for symbolism reasons.

The British press, on its campaigns, has yet to understand this.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

On topic, wake up America, you had the Beer Hall Putsch on January 6th, do you really want the Reichstag Fire?

“Reichstag Fire” sounds like a Hundred Team.

“Putting the Hun into Hundred”.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    boulay said:

In at 3 comes Van Der Lubbe, known as 'clubber' for his big hitting
  • Options

Yes, it's hugely important for the royal family to reintegrate her, for symbolism reasons.

OTOH the RF is dependent (not entirely willingly) on the media for their media construct. When the BBC goes commercial ...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable
    We had a good baseline from the Queen Mum, it was going to be more in demand than that. And limited by the logistics of how many people can pass through in x days and wanting the queue to be sub 12 hours (there are already people fainting etc en route). So in fact very predictable imo.
    We did - but I don't remember anything on this scale for the QM.
    The number of keen royalists I know in real life is zero. All the monarchists I know are monarchists in the "don't see a republic would be any better" mould. And yet, here they all are, and I wish I could join them.
    200,000 queued for the QM

The maths is not hard
    The HM Queue is passing the HM Queen in four streams, though, so you have to factor in queue dynamics. And how effectively they are nudging people along after their hours of waiting....
    No need to guess, have a watch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-62902778

Dunno if they are given a pep talk at the top of the final strait about not loitering, but they keep moving. Longest dawdle I have seen was a woman who did both the sign of the cross thing and a curtsey, and I reckon she was under 5 seconds
  • Options
    boulay said:

Chicago Fire FC says "Yo!"
  • Options

boulay said:

In at 3 comes Van Der Lubbe, known as 'clubber' for his big hitting
    Cue (not queue) “the batsmen launched a blitzkrieg on the bowling of the Paris Flaneurs”.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?
    You can see a bunch he does online (I don't think all of them end up in the book, and some are book exclusive I assume).

There's no backing away. The book will arrive, I'll read it, and you will be judged as to the recommendation.
  • Options

Boring. I wouldn't have noticed she was black if she didn't go on about it.

My latest theory is, Harry married her as a ticket out of the RF as much as she married him as a ticket into it. But she is ridiculous in her own right: LOL at her alleged convo with an untraceable S African who said that the rejoicing at her gewtting married was = to Mandela getting released from prison.

She is infinitely more beautiful than Mrs Wales, in whom the skull beneath the skin shows up more clearly by the day.
  • Options

They understand it, they just don't give a blind fiddler's final farewell fuck.

Same as Conservative and (Dis)Unionist Party when it comes to preserving the Union. Waving the Union Jack being just an excuse for vote-mongering.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    IshmaelZ said:

My latest theory is, Harry married her as a ticket out of the RF as much as she married him as a ticket into it. But she is ridiculous in her own right: LOL at her alleged convo with an untraceable S African who said that the rejoicing at her gewtting married was = to Mandela getting released from prison.

She is infinitely more beautiful than Mrs Wales*, in whom the skull beneath the skin shows up more clearly by the day.
    Other opinions are available,
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

thart said:

kinabalu said:

thart said:

moonshine said:

thart said:

Endillion said:

thart said:

Ive just counted 70 people in latest queue livestream. Only 3 from ethnic minorities or less than 5%. The bigger the sample size the better

How many would you expect to see, assuming they were equally represented?
    Ok white population of london likely 50% now but in uk as a whole likely 80%. Lets assume half of the queue is from people outside london. So we split the difference between the 2 figures to get 65% expected white proportion of the queue. Reality is around 95%. So way out of line
    You lot are supposed to be polling experts and you’re really having a conversation based on a sample size of 12?

Edit - I see this one is based on 70. I watched the other night for 10-20 mins and saw loads of mix in terms of race, age, social class. I didn’t care to count.

You didnt care to count. That says it all. At some point when i have time i will do a bigger count of several hundred. Yes ethnic minorities are there but a very low percentage. I will also do a count of the younger people. If ethnic minorities are a similar proportion of the young there then we are not looking at an age related phenomena at all
    Joan Armatrading was on Ch4 news yesterday and she sounded keen on the monarchy. Seems an age - because it IS an age - since her 70s heyday but even after all that time she's still black.
    Anecdotes vs data my friend
    It was data. She was on Ch4 news. I saw it.
    St Kitts while it was still British, then Birmingham at 3.

St Kitts is a weird one. The main beach on Nevis is called Pinney's Beach. Knowing what I know about the Pinneys of Bristol, I'd change that if I were them.
    I was there in March - a real tourist trap.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

It was I!

Sounds about as exciting as doing the Nullarbor Plain on Train Simulator (not that I have tried). But maybe that is the point.
    It is exactly the point

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/desert-bus-the-very-worst-video-game-ever-created
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2022
    deleted
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

She is infinitely more beautiful than Mrs Wales, in whom the skull beneath the skin shows up more clearly by the day.
    I think the Princess of Wales is simply lovely. (It doesn't matter)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    edited September 2022
    Don't know IF this as been reported in UK, but step in the right direction for the PM

Politico.com - Liz Truss to meet Joe Biden ahead of queen’s funeral
    UK prime minister will hold bilateral talks with numerous world leaders this weekend.

LONDON — U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss will meet U.S. President Joe Biden this weekend as the pair prepare for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II in London.

The U.S. President is one of numerous heads of state descending on London for the global event who has booked some one-on-one time with the new U.K. PM.

The pair will meet on Sunday for the first time since Truss won the Conservative leadership contest and was named prime minister, Downing Street confirmed. Officials refused to set out what the pair will discuss.

Truss will on Saturday meet Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. On Sunday she will meet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada and Polish President Andrzej Duda, as well as Biden.

On the same day, she will also meet Irish Prime Minister Michael Martin, amid tension over the controversial Brexit agreement covering Northern Ireland. . . .

SSI - of course it's Micheál Martin the PM will be meeting.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

boulay said:

Welsh fire 100 team says f**k off with your German bollocks.

Or Come home to a real Welsh Fire buy a 2nd holiday home in Rhyl you English bar stewards
  • Options
    slade said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

thart said:

kinabalu said:

thart said:

moonshine said:

thart said:

Endillion said:

thart said:

Ive just counted 70 people in latest queue livestream. Only 3 from ethnic minorities or less than 5%. The bigger the sample size the better

How many would you expect to see, assuming they were equally represented?
    Ok white population of london likely 50% now but in uk as a whole likely 80%. Lets assume half of the queue is from people outside london. So we split the difference between the 2 figures to get 65% expected white proportion of the queue. Reality is around 95%. So way out of line
    You lot are supposed to be polling experts and you’re really having a conversation based on a sample size of 12?

Edit - I see this one is based on 70. I watched the other night for 10-20 mins and saw loads of mix in terms of race, age, social class. I didn’t care to count.

You didnt care to count. That says it all. At some point when i have time i will do a bigger count of several hundred. Yes ethnic minorities are there but a very low percentage. I will also do a count of the younger people. If ethnic minorities are a similar proportion of the young there then we are not looking at an age related phenomena at all
    Joan Armatrading was on Ch4 news yesterday and she sounded keen on the monarchy. Seems an age - because it IS an age - since her 70s heyday but even after all that time she's still black.
    Anecdotes vs data my friend
    It was data. She was on Ch4 news. I saw it.
    St Kitts while it was still British, then Birmingham at 3.

St Kitts is a weird one. The main beach on Nevis is called Pinney's Beach. Knowing what I know about the Pinneys of Bristol, I'd change that if I were them.
    I was there in March - a real tourist trap.
    Shame. 30 years ago tourism wasn't even the biggest industry. Sugar plantations , ironically, were.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

At least you are saying "living standard" rather than the "immigrants will take a pay cut" wording from the article.

Well, it's John Burn-Murdoch, so slick presentation and getting it wrong are nailed-on, as the below-the-line commenters on that article are pointing out. Not to mention that current trajectories don't continue.

It's PPP. The average taiwanese family has had a higher standard of living on this measure than the average british family for a decade or more, as their government likes to remind them. Good for them, good for the Slovenians, and good for the poles.

If we had sensible house prices, and sensible rent, we would be able to purchase more things with our money too. Perhaps that could do with some serious attention,
    Thought experiment.

We have a referendum (yes, I know) where the options are:

Keep the property market as it is, and accept rubbish growth in the real economy.

OR

Lower house prices and rents, (presumably by nuking current planning regs) and better growth in the real economy.

Simplistic, I accept. But probably nearer the mark than anything said on either side in 2016.

I'm pessimistic that the first option would win at a canter.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

It is what the UK voted for. Apparently.

But at least it will not be a Euro living standard and that will make all the difference. Remember that we were told the gains of Brexit would be long term and turn up around 2090 or so!
    I'm always suspicious about the choice of countries when these sort of analyses are done. Replace UK with France and the story is the same. This suggests it has little to do with Brexit.
  • Options

boulay said:

Or Come home to a real Welsh Fire buy a 2nd holiday home in Rhyl you English bar stewards
    I was in Rhyl yesterday!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

carnforth said:

Thought experiment.

We have a referendum (yes, I know) where the options are:

Keep the property market as it is, and accept rubbish growth in the real economy.

OR

Lower house prices and rents, (presumably by nuking current planning regs) and better growth in the real economy.

Simplistic, I accept. But probably nearer the mark than anything said on either side in 2016.

I'm pessimistic that the first option would win at a canter.
    "We spend £350mn a week on Planning Councils. Let's fund our NHS instead"
  • Options

boulay said:

I was in Rhyl yesterday!!!
    Did you turn back the clock by about 20 years?
  • Options

boulay said:

Err, neither Mrs O'Leary nor her infamous (and incendiary) cow was German or Welsh.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/283867582736480455/?nic_v3=1a2yHhZKL
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IshmaelZ said:

Let's see how Meghan looks when she is 75. Given that she is skin stretched taut over ambition....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Having pulled them both I would say that Mrs Wales is more strikingly beautiful and Mrs Sussex is more fun looking. I found myself trying to be too well behaved with Mrs Wales and enamoured by her glacial beauty but with Mrs Sussex it was margaritas, giggles and fun then a two hour lecture on why I was part of the patriarchy because i had allowed her more enjoyment than I had received in order to create a dependency on on a white man.

Some of the above names and events have been changed for dramatic purposes and any likenesses to real people or events are entirely coincidental.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

boulay said:

No Englishman would ever buy in Rhyl.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

No Black nation has left the Commonwealth voluntarily yet, indeed the Secretary General of the Commonwealth is black, Baroness Scotland.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

Good work.

60% Remain!

He's a prick.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m trying to work out a decent place to watch the cortège,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/16/queen-elizabeth-ii-state-funeral-monday-minute-by-minute-guide/

it will all be chocka but I reckon Constitution Hill or the Wellington Arch might be do-able if you get there early

Just get in the queue mate and tough it out.

You'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So The Queue is 60% "Remoaners"? Meaning that Brexiter's are deficient in proper British patriotism?

Who'd've thunk it?

It is younger and may well have a London bias, but Remainers are 60%

Interesting comment in the twitter thread that 56% would vote Conservative in an election, yet fewer than the national proportion support the death penalty. I wonder how many more were former Tory voters who have switched.

It seems that these are the younger, gentler Tory Remainers that are so poorly represented in the modern party. Though of course the typical demographic is therefore Liz Truss!

https://twitter.com/robjohns75/status/1570757345961181187?t=UEd15FAKkESeFw-FElQREg&s=19

So most of those in the queue are Tory Remainers. They are as key a swing voter for Truss as the redwall let us not forget. They voted Tory in 2019 to keep out Corbyn but if they go LD or for Starmer next time she will not be re elected. Vital therefore for her to continue to strike the right tone
  • Options

Have you told her it's all bollocks and the real issue is the way Megan Markle has behaved to the Royal family?
  • Options
    Some interesting financials (can't vouch for source but seems credible in this case) re: "Poor Boy" Ron DeSantis

https://caknowledge.com/ron-desantis-net-worth/
  • Options

boulay said:

No Englishman would ever buy in Rhyl.
    Please don't get him rhyled up!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No Black nation has left the Commonwealth voluntarily yet, indeed the Secretary General of the Commonwealth is black, Baroness Scotland.
    No thanks to the government, who wanted to oust her (albeit for what seem like justified reasons).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Perhaps the Queue could lie in State as a memorial.
  • Options

Leon said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/16/queen-elizabeth-ii-state-funeral-monday-minute-by-minute-guide/

it will all be chocka but I reckon Constitution Hill or the Wellington Arch might be do-able if you get there early

I am going to try it tomorrow evening.

Leon is at least doing his bit but will need to get their very early on Monday to get a viewing spot as the cortege is only going from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey. Otherwise anywhere on the final journey back to Windsor
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Have you told her it's all bollocks and the real issue is the way Megan Markle has behaved to the Royal family?
    That's partly true and partly not, I would say, but it's simply too important for the Royal Family. She simply has to be brought back into the fold, if they want to maintain an appeal to the Commonwealth and minorities. The monarchy is about symbolism, and it won't be able to cope with and navigate modern culture wars without this symbolism.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Tory remainers massively overrepresented lol.

Who is going to verbally admit to voting Leave in London? They have to be pretty brave to do so.
    I know plenty of London Leavers, including many who campaigned tirelessly for the referendum.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable

The Queue is Dying

*sob*

Perhaps the Queue could lie in State as a memorial.
    Given survey findings, perhaps the final words of The Queue might be, "Bugger Brexit"?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No thanks to the government, who wanted to oust her (albeit for what seem like justified reasons).
    Though with another black alternative, Kamina Johnson Smith
  • Options

That's partly true and partly not, I would say, but it's simply too important for the Royal Family. She simply has to be brought back into the fold, if they want to maintain an appeal to the Commonwealth and minorities. The monarchy is about symbolism, and it won't be able to cope with and navigate modern culture wars without this symbolism.

Her children are still 6th and 7th in line to the throne, it was her decision to sod off to California.

If really needed George can marry a BME wife in 20 or 30 years
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

Tory remainers massively overrepresented lol.

Who is going to verbally admit to voting Leave in London? They have to be pretty brave to do so.
    I know plenty of London Leavers, including many who campaigned tirelessly for the referendum.
    Most of them tend to be in Outer London though eg Dagenham or Havering or Bexley and Orpington
  • Options

Wait until you hear how Prince Andrew has behaved and the way they treated him.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Predictable.
    Inevitable
    That is pretty much exactly my opinion.

Except for the fact that it'd be a 12 hour plane ride.
  • Options

I'm not sure I believe this.

They're not stupid. They know she's a self-centred narcissistic just as much as we do, and it isn't really anything to do with race. Because she made it all up.

The first rule of Megan is that eventually people learn the truth about Megan.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

A book, you say?

There's no backing away. The book will arrive, I'll read it, and you will be judged as to the recommendation.
    I've got What If 2 (Mrs J pre-ordered it for herself me yonks ago, and it surprised her when it arrived this week. It's very good, but lacks the novelty of the first book, obvs.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    edited September 2022

What happened in the Bolton by-election???

CON: 55.0% (+44.1)
    LAB: 37.6% (-35.2)
    GRN: 5.3% (-2.6)
    LDEM: 1.2% (-0.8)
    REF: 0.8% (+0.8)

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

Conservative GAIN from Labour.

Full story here https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/21784741.bolton-conservatives-win-seat-rumworth-by-election/

- essentially the other councillor in the ward, who had previously defected from Labour, joined the Tories a few weeks ago. I imagine she's popular and residents there decided to take her recommendation for th eother seat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Her children are still 6th and 7th in line to the throne, it was her decision to sod off to California.

If really needed George can marry a BME
    wife in 20 or 30 years
    I’m sort of hoping that the Royal Family have learnt from Charles and Di that arranging marriages for “reasons” doesn’t work. Also hoping that George marries whoever the hell he likes and not whether it polls well or ensures a Carribean Island stays in the commonwealth.

But yes it was their decision to sod off and they can’t expect to have their cake and eat it.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon is at least doing his bit but will need to get their very early on Monday to get a viewing spot as the cortege is only going from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey. Otherwise anywhere on the final journey back to Windsor
    I did it all last night, and I'm shattered, but, weirdly, I've had a second wind, cracked open a beer and.. am now watching the live lying-in-state feed again.

I have no idea why I find it such compulsive viewing, but I do.
  • Options

It's all a bit like wrestling on the telly, though; for spectators, if you are engaged on either side you are a loser.
  • Options

He was stripped of his royal titles and patronages, it was the Sussexes decision to cease to be working royals
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Just wait until she finds out that when William's kids have their own kids that hers will go even further back in the line of succession!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

In parts of the US and the Carribean the departure of Meghan has become a modern culture-war and social-media shorthand for "colonial institution can't accept black women". The truth one is much more complex than that, with plenty of blame to be apportioned on both sides, but that's partly irrelevant now ; you can find tropes of this all over twitter, or even the US press.

The monarchy's global profile simply cannot afford for this symbolism to develop further - it has to be dealt with.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    David Beckham queued up for 12 hours, fair play to him. Meanwhile other celebs got through the VIP line...
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

HYUFD said:

In parts of the US and the Carribean the departure of Meghan has become a modern culture-war and social-media shorthand for "colonial institution can't accept black woman". You can find tropes of this all over twitter.

The monarchy's global profile simply can't afford for that symbolism to develop further - it has to be dealt with.
    When in fact Meghan wants to make it all about her rather than the institution. The total opposite of QE2.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Can you elaborate with some actual evidence, or are you infact Piers Morgan?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I did it all last night, and I'm shattered, but, weirdly, I've had a second wind, cracked open a beer and.. am now watching the live lying-in-state feed again.

I have no idea why I find it such compulsive viewing, but I do.
    Any thought of heading back to the back of The Queue, for Round II in honor of QEII?

Just kidding! You did us proud methinks the first time. UNLESS it was YOU who made that poor guard faint?
  • Options
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

wife in 20 or 30 years
    I’m sort of hoping that the Royal Family have learnt from Charles and Di that arranging marriages for “reasons” doesn’t work. Also hoping that George marries whoever the hell he likes and not whether it polls well or ensures a Carribean Island stays in the commonwealth.

But yes it was their decision to sod off and they can’t expect to have their cake and eat it.

For the royals it does work, can you imagine if the heir to the throne was the son of Charles and Camilla not Charles and Diana?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

David Beckham queued up for 12 hours, fair play to him. Meanwhile other celebs got through the VIP line...

To be fair the alternative was staying at home and listening to Victoria practising her singing for the Spice Girls reunion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Your psychotic sociopathy is showing there, do you not remember what happened when Charles married a wife who was what was really needed?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Your psychotic sociopathy is showing there, do you not remember what happened when Charles married a wife who was what was really needed?
    Yes, we got the most glamorous and charismatic figure the royal family has had so far into the firm
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

wife in 20 or 30 years

For the royals it does work, can you imagine if the heir to the throne was the son of Charles and Camilla not Charles and Diana?
    I was thinking "psychotic sociopathy" in my last post was a bit strong till I read that.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    The Brexit communal rift has gone into dormancy, as do all identity-based fault lines from time to time.

Brexit is a bit like Crimea and Donbass. It created facts on the ground, which nobody has the wherewithal or appetite to overturn. Hence even the Lib Dems are now accepting we’re not rejoining anytime soon.

Also like Crimea and Donbass, if things go rapidly South and the Brexit tendency over-extends itself, the backlash will bring rejoin back into play. But for now it’s definitely asleep.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, we got the most glamorous and charismatic figure the royal family has had so far into the firm
    And that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

wife in 20 or 30 years

For the royals it does work, can you imagine
    if the heir to the throne was the son of Charles and Camilla not Charles and
    Diana?
    I can imagine it - maybe they would have been more intelligent or some other improvement - William and Harry aren’t exactly the finest specimens of men in various ways so it’s possible that the heir to the crown and the spare could have been better - we will never know.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    AlistairM said:

HYUFD said:

In parts of the US and the Carribean the departure of Meghan has become a modern culture-war and social-media shorthand for "colonial institution can't accept black woman". You can find tropes of this all over twitter.

The monarchy's global profile simply can't afford for that symbolism to develop further - it has to be dealt with.
    When in fact Meghan wants to make it all about her rather than the institution. The total opposite of QE2.
    I partly agree with that, but the British tabloids have also gruesomely bullied her because of her justified dislike of them, and there've also been elements of the royal family less welcoming and favourable to her than the Queen was.
    Overall both sides are to blame, but they have to urgently fix it, which there's some more encouraging signs of them doing this week.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Isn't the cortege going on from Westminster Abbey to Hyde Park Corner? I can't imagine they would train up 100+ matelots just to pull her 100yds.
This discussion has been closed.