Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The US Midterms are looking more challenging for the GOP – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    edited September 2022
    thart said:

thart said:

I hate Putin and I think the Queen stuff is now ridiculous. Come at me

i dont think thats allowed...if you are slightly against the monarchy you are obviously pro Putin according to some on here
    People seem to be calling you a troll because they don’t have anything to actually debate you with, pathetic.
    yes and i havent even mentioned Putin once if you look at my posts.....
    Horse clearly isn't a troll because he's been here for years and we know something of his foibles.

thart may or may not be a troll but he is newly arrived and he punctuates and capitalises in a very similar manner to some we have had from Russia in the past. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens :smiley:
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,435
    edited September 2022
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Right now we are getting 37% of our power from wind, 14.5% from solar and 7.6% from biomass, a total of 59.1% from renewables. Only 16.2% of our energy is coming from gas. This is really an astonishing achievement and it is going to get much better next year. Of course, it is pretty windy today.

How much better, and why? What is coming on stream?

Just got one step further towards solar panels on my house today - hopefully from next Spring my draw on the grid will be minimal. So that will help too!
    The gas share will drop because we won't be able to afford any!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,382
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

A rare day off so some exploring this morning including my first trip on the Elizabeth Line from Woolwich to Whitechapel. Very pleasant and comfortable - trains every 5 minutes - and I now have about four different ways to get to Woolwich (including the clipper from the new Barking Riverside Pier).

On wider matters - there's something more than a bit devotional indeed spiritual about The Queue. There are analogies with the long journeys pilgrims took in often inclement weather across hundreds of miles of pathways and tracks to visit shrines such as Canterbury and Santiago de Compostela (and others).

Part of the experience was the journey - the test of faith in the conditions, the fellowship of meeting with other pilgrims and sharing the journey and the experience. a 5-mile walk from Southwark Bridge to Westminster Hall may not be quite the same as a trek across the Downs or the mountains of Northern Spain but the sense of fellowship from talking and walking with those alongside you must be of a similar nature.

I understand it and I respect it and to be honest admire those who do it - Mrs Stodge's colleague, having spent the thick end of 12 hours getting to and from Westminster Hall, logged on at 8.30am for his day's work.

It's not for me - here I'm going to be honest but blunt. The late Queen's passing hasn't evoked the same emotional response in me as it has in others - perhaps it will one day, I don't know but not at the moment.

This analogy to a pilgrimage, indeed a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, was made a couple of days ago in The Spectator. Are you plagiarising? Or just another sockpuppet of @Mysticrose?

"The queue for the lying-in-state is itself a medieval pilgrimage. The long painful queue is fundamental to the experience. There is no emotional gain from getting a taxi to Santiago de Compostela. You need to suffer to get the spiritual reward."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-live-streamed-lying-in-state-says-to-us
    On the religious aspect: I've just been to Aston upon Mersey, a suburban village in Greater Manchester with about 40-odd businesses on tge High Street. Every single one had a picture of the Queen in the window.

The fact that in most cases it was a relatively unobtrusive picture - an icon - made it all the more moving.
    The first two (and I think the third, but harder to tell) have the same picture at the same size - makes it look like an organised rather than spontaneous thing. Is that the case, do you think?

'Organised' could of course be as simple as the local print shop having offered the portraits to any business that would care to show them.
    Most were the same picture. I asked about it: some enterprising small local charity for disadvantaged kids was asking for a £5 contribution for one. Most shops had at least one of these. Though that wasn't evident from just looking.
    Ah, that explains it.

Wonder whether they checked the copyright... Although it would be a stupid brave rights-holder who would go after a charity for using an image of the Queen at this time, without permission.

Edit: looks like this one and that doesn't look among permitted use without permission, but, well, see above. Doubt KCIII will be taking them to court over it. Curse of having worked in intellectual property for a time that these things occur to me :disappointed:
    Don't know. Depends if the donation was compulsory. "Here's a nice pic of Her Maj. No, squire, free." "Ta." "I happen to be collecting for the kids charity so if you are in a good mood and have a fiver ..."
    I remember my brother recounting a story (likely apocryphal) of a shed retailer that sought to get around English Sunday trading laws by on Sunday opening only the coffee shop, which was permitted. Some of the more expensive (three or four figures) coffees on the menu entitled the buyer to a free shed, which was delivered a day or two later. In the story the relevant authorities took a dim view of the scheme.
    Many are the schemes through history like that.

When supermarkets started selling petrol, they were going to give it away free, with X amount of shopping. Since this would reduce the tax payable on it, parliament acted very fast. To make the tax payable on petrol even if given away as a promotion.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

rcs1000 said:

thart said:

Driver said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Random sample looking this minute at the live stream (for @thart if he's still with us).

Asian woman
    White bloke (a rev as it turns out)
    White couple
    White woman
    White woman
    White woman
    White woman
    White bloke
    White bloke
    White woman
    White woman

OK I am prepared to say that the queue to pay respect is pretty white.

Don't like this double line business either. Would be well stressed if I was on the outer line.

Anyway, enough with queues.

11 out of 12 white, 91%. National total is 86% so not ridiculously out of line, if you'll forgive the pun. Especially considering that the queue almost certainly skews older than the population as a whole.
    86% was at the 2011 census. Net migration has average around 300000 a year since. Thats about 3,300,000 extra ethnic minorities over 11 years. That accounts to an extra 5%. So now likely around 81% white british. And of course London much lower. So well out of line
    Net migration is nowhere near 100% non-white.

In fact, I would be very surprised if it was more than 40% non-white.
    Indeed. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/datasets/populationoftheunitedkingdombycountryofbirthandnationalityunderlyingdatasheets has the details, but would require some processing to get useful numbers out of it!

But the top 5 countries of origin for people born outside the UK and now living in the UK are...

1. India
    2. Poland
    3. Pakistan
    4. Ireland
    5. Germany

But the top 5 nationalities for immigrants are...

1. Poland
    2. India
    3. Ireland
    4. Italy
    5. Romania
    Either quite a few immigrants to Britain from India etc. hold Italian or Romanian citizenship or else I'm missing something. What is an immigrant if not someone born outside the country who now lives in it?
  • Options
    thartthart Posts: 139
    Still think nhs workers leading the parade for the Queens funeral is a very bad idea....it politicises what should be a solemn national occasion
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,382

thart said:

i dont think thats allowed...if you are slightly against the monarchy you are obviously pro Putin according to some on here
    People seem to be calling you a troll because they don’t have anything to actually debate you with, pathetic.
    No, he's a troll because he's been trolling for the past 24 hours and is seriously trying to claim that there's no evidence of Trump engaging in vote rigging.

Trump is on the record, repeatedly, trying to rig the last election. I thought you knew that?
    And further, this built on a pyramid of deliberate, documented, ongoing vote rigging/suppression of the most odious kind by the Republican party.

The latest cherry on this one is putting election officials and judges in place to allow the state legislatures to over turn the results of presidential elections and send their own slate of electors.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,284
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Right now we are getting 37% of our power from wind, 14.5% from solar and 7.6% from biomass, a total of 59.1% from renewables. Only 16.2% of our energy is coming from gas. This is really an astonishing achievement and it is going to get much better next year. Of course, it is pretty windy today.

How much better, and why? What is coming on stream?

Just got one step further towards solar panels on my house today - hopefully from next Spring my draw on the grid will be minimal. So that will help too!
    The 2 biggest offshore wind farms in the world are due to come online next year, namely Hornsea 2 (Hornsea 1 is currently the biggest and only came online at the end of August) and Dogger Bank.
  • Options
    thart said:

thart said:

OK, Pinocchio, sure you haven't. Sure this is your first account here, isn't it?
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Lots of MPs’ staffers are angry MPs can skip the queue to see the Queen lying in state and they can’t. “Hierarchy strikes again,” one tells me after being sent this https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1570682978661203968/photo/1

Can't say I'm outraged. MPs getting to queue jump seems perfectly reasonable.

Staffers also cannot vote in the Commons, it's that hierarchy again.
    I’d disagree with that.

kle4 trolled you there.
    Voting in the Commons is part of an MP's job and not part of a staffer's job.
    Plonkering to a dead queen's coffin is just being a d*ckhead, whoever does it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    thart said:

Still think nhs workers leading the parade for the Queens funeral is a very bad idea....it politicises what should be a solemn national occasion

You have to work somewhere. (Retired people, and small people aside)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    thart said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

James O'Brien is now spreading conspiracy theories about the queue.

@LBC
    'They could have conducted the ticketing system in a way that did not involve an enormous queue snaking through London.'

James O'Brien deems ‘The Establishment’s’ choice to cause enormous queues to enter Westminster Hall 'completely deliberate’.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1570713491195166721

That's full on barking mad. Late Stage Strasbourg Syndrome

He's one more bonkers theory from becoming an even louder Steve Bray
    I didn't know they were using a ticketing system. If they are, at what point do they give out tickets? Do they ask people's names?

Perhaps he's saying they should have had one, e.g. organised by surname. Certainly they must have thought about how to do it and decided this was the way they wanted to run with. It's possible that a decision taken several years ago and probably already reviewed a number of times was changed by the king a few days ago on a whim. Whatever. They are certainly capitalising on the death and promoting the "national outpouring" meme.
    yes hence the conspiracy theories that its a plot by the establishment to make the monarchy seem more popular than it really is

They really don't have to "fake a long unnecessary queue" to pretend that the Queen is - was! - enormously popular

She was beloved. Even Republicans venerated her. She scarcely put a foot wrong in 96 years. An extraordinary performance

This is tragic conspiratorial nonsense
    the Queen was loved agreed....but the views on Charles are much more mixed and that is what the establishment are worried about if these theories have any truth
    Oh please.

Of course the monarchy and the establishment, whatever that means in this context, are 'worried'. The discipline of the Queen was because the institution could be rocked at any moment. It's why Charles knows and said he could not speak as much on his causes, he knows the new role would make that riskier.

That people are invested in not being complacent about the monarchy is not a conspiracy. It's how it keeps going.

And they sure as shit dont need to manufacture crowds and queues. It's an historic occasion, people want to take part - I bet plenty are Republicans.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

Horse clearly isn't a troll because he's been here for years and we know something of his foibles.

thart may or may not be a troll but he is newly arrived and he punctuates and capitalises in a very similar manner to some we have had from Russia in the past. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens :smiley:
    I feel slightly responsible for him because he leapt into action when I posted some innocent (I thought) musings about the onlookers as HMQ went BP to P of W. I can't help seeing parallels between his findings of racism in the UK and a well known tyranny's diagnosis of Nazism in countries it proposes to invade.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I've been quietly impressed by Biden, mostly by his Ukraine performance. For someone on the verge of dementia, Sleepy Joe has played a blinder.

He may have someone behind him manipulating the strings, but long may they continue. Trump looks to be a walking heart attack and he looks favourite in the rush to the grave.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

On topic... I saw that NH Senate candidate and far right psycho Don Bolduc had swiftly resiled from his election fraud position and acknowldged that Biden is POTUS. He was deep MAGAworld and if he's turned things must be desperate.

There's a lot of reverse ferreting going on on the American Right.

Bolduc has repudiated his electoral theft position. Something, weirdly, that he believed in just a few weeks ago in the Republican Senatorial debates.

Masters won the Republican Primary in Arizona on a "life begins at conception" platform. Indeed, he characterized his opponent (who had a rather nuanced position) as abortion rights advocate. Now he's the candidate, all traces of his previous views have been scrubbed from his website, and when asked about abortion, he said that he "like most Americans" was against "late term abortions".

It's hard to know exactly what impact these (violent) shifts in views will have.

But if I were the Democratic opponent of either of these candidates, I'd make it a "question of honesty".
    Classic 'were you lying or an idiot?' Vibes.
    Finally one I know the answer to. Both.
  • Options
    thart said:

That's because you are an arse. NHS has the George Cross, so has to be represented like all the other GCs and VCs.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

I feel slightly responsible for him because he leapt into action when I posted some innocent (I thought) musings about the onlookers as HMQ went BP to P of W. I can't help seeing parallels between his findings of racism in the UK and a well known tyranny's diagnosis of Nazism in countries it proposes to invade.
    I think both Dynamo and theart have been to a few GRU lunches, or dinners at St Petersburg. Strange that the site here should be considered so important ; though I suppose there's an awful lot of lower-level trolling going on the Daily Mail and Twitter all the time as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Lots of MPs’ staffers are angry MPs can skip the queue to see the Queen lying in state and they can’t. “Hierarchy strikes again,” one tells me after being sent this https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1570682978661203968/photo/1

I’d disagree with that. There’s nothing that they have done which gives them any preference over other citizens

Privy counsellors if you must but not MPs

They have been elected to collectively govern this country. I call that meriting preference over other citizens for such an event personally. They have to swear an oath to the crown, i do not. They exercise or hold to account executive power.

MPs dont need or deserve a load of preferential treatment, but a harmless 'perk' like skipping a long queue?

They can get more work serving citizens done if they skip it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

thart said:

No, he's a troll because he's been trolling for the past 24 hours and is seriously trying to claim that there's no evidence of Trump engaging in vote rigging.

Trump is on the record, repeatedly, trying to rig the last election. I thought you knew that?
    And further, this built on a pyramid of deliberate, documented, ongoing vote rigging/suppression of the most odious kind by the Republican party.

The latest cherry on this one is putting election officials and judges in place to allow the state legislatures to over turn the results of presidential elections and send their own slate of electors.
    Frankly, I'm a bit surprised anyone tries to dispute it. The Republicans aren't even bothering to hide it now. They could barely be more blatant if they said 'Votes don't matter, we're going to win whatever happens.'

Even Robert Mugabe was usually more subtle than this.

(Although he had something in common with the Republicans - he couldn't believe that despite all his efforts to rig the vote, he'd still lost, badly, so he used violence to change the result.)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

That's because you are an arse. NHS has the George Cross, so has to be represented like all the other GCs and VCs.
    its going down very badly on social media though
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

Who's Malta sending?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

Who's Malta sending?
    https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/judge-represent-george-cross-island-association-queens-funeral.981113
  • Options
    Wend It Like Beckham?
  • Options

Royal stuff is inherently ridiculous. It always has been.

But a lot of us like the ridiculous, which can still be moving and powerful.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

In general I think we should refrain from the troll-hunting stuff, as it can act as a deterrent against legitimate posters expressing views that they're perfectly entitled to hold. It's one of those irregular verbs:

I am the epitome of moderate opinion
    You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
  • Options
    thart said:

IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

that is conclusive. My mistake.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I’d disagree with that. There’s nothing that they have done which gives them any preference over other citizens

Privy counsellors if you must but not MPs

They have been elected to collectively govern this country. I call that meriting preference over other citizens for such an event personally. They have to swear an oath to the crown, i do not. They exercise or hold to account executive power.

MPs dont need or deserve a load of preferential treatment, but a harmless 'perk' like skipping a long queue?

They can get more work serving citizens done if they skip it.
    I would compromise and allow them to run the route.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

that is conclusive. My mistake.
    You might get a sanction for being wrong.

Could you face booking?
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

LAB: 40% (=)
    CON: 28% (=)
    LDM: 10% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (-1)
    RFM: 5% (+1)
    SNP: 4% (-1)

Via @PeoplePolling, 13 Sep.
    Changes w/ 7 Sep.

No change with the new boys

They've also got some polling on the monarchy

Do you think Britain should continue to have a monarchy or should it be replaced by an elected head of state?

Monarchy: 77%
    Elected head of state: 23%

• Options
    The stunning success of Ukraine’s recent counteroffensive has exposed the rotten reality behind Russia’s reputation as a military superpower. More than six months since the onset of Vladimir Putin’s Ukraine invasion, it is now obvious that his army is in fact a deeply flawed institution that bears almost no resemblance to the immaculate fighting force of Red Square parades and Kremlin propaganda. Instead, the Russian military suffers from endemic corruption, low morale, and poor leadership, with individual initiative in short supply and commanders deeply reluctant to accept personal responsibility. Last week’s disastrous defeat in northeastern Ukraine will only worsen the situation, with officers gripped by fear as Moscow seeks scapegoats for what is shaping up to be one of the most shameful military defeats in Russian history.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/ukrainian-victory-shatters-russias-reputation-as-a-military-superpower/
  • Options
    Foss said:

Changes w/ 7 Sep.

Do you think Britain should continue to have a monarchy or should it be replaced by an elected head of state?

any polls on monarchy at the present time will likely give a false view...people are trapped in the emotion and spectacle
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

In general I think we should refrain from the troll-hunting stuff, as it can act as a deterrent against legitimate posters expressing views that they're perfectly entitled to hold. It's one of those irregular verbs:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    You are right of course. All we are seeing here is low effort contrarianism.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Went through the queue overnight. Joined 10pm in Southwark Park, got to Westminster Hall just before 9am. Good atmosphere and well-managed, though the stop at around 4am for the rehearsal was painful!

It's definitely a potentially dangerous environment for those lacking in stamina - I saw paramedics needing to help people several times overnight

Any births in The Queue yet?
    I think it's the conceptions that PB wants to know about.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    You're both wrong about that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,729
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Still, it all reminds me of the neighbour's young cat desperate to get at the two crows who have been watching him for the last fifteen minutes and know exactly where he is and what he is doing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    I know ****ing Sainsburys were trying to push mince pies at me yesterday but this is just not Christmas yet.
  • Options

The stunning success of Ukraine’s recent counteroffensive has exposed the rotten reality behind Russia’s reputation as a military superpower. More than six months since the onset of Vladimir Putin’s Ukraine invasion, it is now obvious that his army is in fact a deeply flawed institution that bears almost no resemblance to the immaculate fighting force of Red Square parades and Kremlin propaganda. Instead, the Russian military suffers from endemic corruption, low morale, and poor leadership, with individual initiative in short supply and commanders deeply reluctant to accept personal responsibility. Last week’s disastrous defeat in northeastern Ukraine will only worsen the situation, with officers gripped by fear as Moscow seeks scapegoats for what is shaping up to be one of the most shameful military defeats in Russian history.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/ukrainian-victory-shatters-russias-reputation-as-a-military-superpower/

Yet we were assured by some PBers that Putin was winning this not a month ago.

• Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    thart said:

Foss said:

Changes w/ 7 Sep.

any polls on monarchy at the present time will likely give a false view...people are trapped in the emotion and spectacle
    Perhaps. But it's above trend and any return to trend will make the news.
  • Options
    thart said:

Foss said:

Changes w/ 7 Sep.

Yes and No.

Yes, there will be a boost, but support was already pretty high so it isnt as if its
    unusual.

Republicans shouldn't act like monarchy support will inevitably fade in a significant way, but should not despair since if there was a crisis things could change quickly.

So it's a question of how likely a crisis? I say low. Until said crisis polling is a useful indicator and even without a new crown bump Charles was no longer despised.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    like a pantomine on here.....looks hes behind you lol
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

A rare day off so some exploring this morning including my first trip on the Elizabeth Line from Woolwich to Whitechapel. Very pleasant and comfortable - trains every 5 minutes - and I now have about four different ways to get to Woolwich (including the clipper from the new Barking Riverside Pier).

On wider matters - there's something more than a bit devotional indeed spiritual about The Queue. There are analogies with the long journeys pilgrims took in often inclement weather across hundreds of miles of pathways and tracks to visit shrines such as Canterbury and Santiago de Compostela (and others).

Part of the experience was the journey - the test of faith in the conditions, the fellowship of meeting with other pilgrims and sharing the journey and the experience. a 5-mile walk from Southwark Bridge to Westminster Hall may not be quite the same as a trek across the Downs or the mountains of Northern Spain but the sense of fellowship from talking and walking with those alongside you must be of a similar nature.

I understand it and I respect it and to be honest admire those who do it - Mrs Stodge's colleague, having spent the thick end of 12 hours getting to and from Westminster Hall, logged on at 8.30am for his day's work.

It's not for me - here I'm going to be honest but blunt. The late Queen's passing hasn't evoked the same emotional response in me as it has in others - perhaps it will one day, I don't know but not at the moment.

This analogy to a pilgrimage, indeed a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, was made a couple of days ago in The Spectator. Are you plagiarising? Or just another sockpuppet of @Mysticrose?

"The queue for the lying-in-state is itself a medieval pilgrimage. The long painful queue is fundamental to the experience. There is no emotional gain from getting a taxi to Santiago de Compostela. You need to suffer to get the spiritual reward."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-live-streamed-lying-in-state-says-to-us
    On the religious aspect: I've just been to Aston upon Mersey, a suburban village in Greater Manchester with about 40-odd businesses on tge High Street. Every single one had a picture of the Queen in the window.

The fact that in most cases it was a relatively unobtrusive picture - an icon - made it all the more moving.
    The first two (and I think the third, but harder to tell) have the same picture at the same size - makes it look like an organised rather than spontaneous thing. Is that the case, do you think?

'Organised' could of course be as simple as the local print shop having offered the portraits to any business that would care to show them.
    Most were the same picture. I asked about it: some enterprising small local charity for disadvantaged kids was asking for a £5 contribution for one. Most shops had at least one of these. Though that wasn't evident from just looking.
    Ah, that explains it.

Wonder whether they checked the copyright... Although it would be a stupid brave rights-holder who would go after a charity for using an image of the Queen at this time, without permission.

Edit: looks like this one and that doesn't look among permitted use without permission, but, well, see above. Doubt KCIII will be taking them to court over it. Curse of having worked in intellectual property for a time that these things occur to me :disappointed:
    Don't know. Depends if the donation was compulsory. "Here's a nice pic of Her Maj. No, squire, free." "Ta." "I happen to be collecting for the kids charity so if you are in a good mood and have a fiver ..."
    I remember my brother recounting a story (likely apocryphal) of a shed retailer that sought to get around English Sunday trading laws by on Sunday opening only the coffee shop, which was permitted. Some of the more expensive (three or four figures) coffees on the menu entitled the buyer to a free shed, which was delivered a day or two later. In the story the relevant authorities took a dim view of the scheme.
    There was a cafe near me that wanted to open for food & coffee 24hrs, but the council wouldn't give them a license. So they started selling photo's of the food & coffee with which you got a 'free' bit of food & coffee.

It'd didn't end well, but it tickled me all the same.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    I know ****ing Sainsburys were trying to push mince pies at me yesterday but this is just not Christmas yet.
    I think that an amnesty for any and all mince pie sins is wise.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC
    'They could have conducted the ticketing system in a way that did not involve an enormous queue snaking through London.'

James O'Brien deems ‘The Establishment’s’ choice to cause enormous queues to enter Westminster Hall 'completely deliberate’.

I think this dates from Dan Snow's comments on Channel 4 the other day, that the queue and flow of people could have been managed slightly differently.
    why not just have a ticketing system where you are allocated a 10 minute slot....no need to queue then

It would be chaos as people “arrived early” to “make sure”. It would be open to abuse online. The site would have crashed. You’d probably have people selling tickets for profit - hideous. You’d still need a queue to process security. And so on

What they’ve done is what they’ve always done for 100 years. A queue down the south bank. It’s fair, it’s simple and it works. And more importantly it is SEEN to be fair. As with david beckham queuing for 12 hours like everyone else

It would not be beyond the wit of man to do a queueing system that worked with tickets.

You have a place where the 2pm queue started, a place where the 3pm queue started, etc. Tickets could be allocated by mobile phone.

Really, it wouldn't be that hard.

But you can't really implement it later. You'd have needed to have done it before her demise, so everything was ready.

You know what: the queue is an amazing spectacle. The people involved aren't stupid. Maybe O'Brien isn't wrong in this instance?
    No, if you think about it - properly - anything other than what they did would have been hideously complex and open to abuse, and might not have worked. It also rules out old people who don't understand the net and so on and so forth. It would favour the young. Daft

This queueing has worked before, it is tried and trusted, it is simple and visibly fair, so they did it again. Why would you do anything else

Are they pleased there's a huge turnout and the public veneration for the Q is now a public spectacle of quasi-religious pilgrimage? Of course they are. But that's a fortunate by-product, a spandrel, it is not some evil scheme by Brexiteering lizard people
    Oh please.

It wouldn't have been complex - we manage such systems at airports, amusement parks and the like without problems.

You could even have had a separate queue for people who didn't want to use to automated system.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

I think this dates from Dan Snow's comments on Channel 4 the other day, that the queue and flow of people could have been managed slightly differently.
    why not just have a ticketing system where you are allocated a 10 minute slot....no need to queue then

It would be chaos as people “arrived early” to “make sure”. It would be open to abuse online. The site would have crashed. You’d probably have people selling tickets for profit - hideous. You’d still need a queue to process security. And so on

What they’ve done is what they’ve always done for 100 years. A queue down the south bank. It’s fair, it’s simple and it works. And more importantly it is SEEN to be fair. As with david beckham queuing for 12 hours like everyone else

It would not be beyond the wit of man to do a queueing system that worked with tickets.

You have a place where the 2pm queue started, a place where the 3pm queue started, etc. Tickets could be allocated by mobile phone.

But you can't really implement it later. You'd have needed to have done it before her demise, so everything was ready.

You know what: the queue is an amazing spectacle. The people involved aren't stupid. Maybe O'Brien isn't wrong in this instance?
    No, if you think about it - properly - anything other than what they did would have been hideously complex and open to abuse, and might not have worked. It also rules out old people who don't understand the net and so on and so forth. It would favour the young. Daft

This queueing has worked before, it is tried and trusted, it is simple and visibly fair, so they did it again. Why would you do anything else

Are they pleased there's a huge turnout and the public veneration for the Q is now a public spectacle of quasi-religious pilgrimage? Of course they are. But that's a fortunate by-product, a spandrel, it is not some evil scheme by Brexiteering lizard people
    Oh please.

It wouldn't have been complex - we manage such systems at airports, amusement parks and the like without problems.

You could even have had a separate queue for people who didn't want to use to automated system.
    Not very British though.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

maybe the suffering is part of the experience for many people...14 hours of penance for HMQ
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    edited September 2022
    Who is in the queue?

Thread:

Much speculation about who’s in #TheQueue and why, but little evidence. That is, until a doughty band of @uniessexgovt researchers began a survey (using the kinds of methods developed for studying protests). Survey ongoing but here are snippets based on the first 300 responses.

https://twitter.com/robjohns75/status/1570756794015948802
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,616

@LBC

Asking questions about whether the queue could have been set up or managed better is not a conspiracy theory.
  • Options

Wend It Like Beckham?

It's amazing he thought he could line up incognito, or queue anon as I believe it is called.
    Credit to him for doing the full 12 hours, when I’m sure he could easily have wangled a VIP wave through.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

I said that yesterday, but there is a growing number of commentators pointing out that the queue is the point. The hardship is what makes the experience memorable, and valuable. The pilgrimage is nothing without the walk...
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926

I was thinking about that today. In the past the shadow of the “Spetnaz” loomed and was always referenced alongside SAS, Seals, Delta etc etc in guides to the world’s top special forces.

Yet up to now I’ve seen or heard nothing that suggests they even still exist.

Where are the Long Range Desert Group type operations carried out by these special forces attacking supply lines of western kit behind enemy lines, commando assaults in the dead of night in far flung Ukrainian air bases?

Maybe it’s a cunning plan and they are biding their time and (to paraphrase The Usual Suspects) “The greatest trick the Spetnaz ever pulled was convincing the world they didn't exist,"

• Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    Morrisons too, ever since September 1st.

Can't see those gorgeous Belgian chocolate yule logs yet though :frowning:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.

Oh really? Morrisons? Recommended?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    I like mince pies, wish you could get them all year round. Also blue Stilton is my favourite cheese (actually you can get that all year, it just plummets in price in December).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

@LBC

Asking questions about whether the queue could have been set up or managed better is not a conspiracy theory.
    We're not going to be waiting 70 years for the next one, so there is a brutally practical side to it.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think London civil servants and officials honestly didn't expect so many people to want to queue up in this way. They're genuinely surprised by it. They shouldn't be.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121
    edited September 2022
    BigRich said:

Gas is down a lot today

As in the price of gas?

I've been following the Gas storage rates every day for the passed couple of weeks, on this website:

https://gas.kyos.com/gas/eu

Short version: the EU storage is now 85.7% full, (fractionally above normal for this time of year). and is filling at about 0.3% a day, again consistently above the normal for this time of year.

The Russians shutting off 'Nord Stream 1' may have made gas more expensive but does not seem to be affecting the filling of the storage.
    The fun will be when the Russians want to turn Nord Stream 1 back on but Europe says "No, we're fine now thanks..."

Russia destroying its customer base will be the most dramatic outcome of Putin's little Ukrainian adventure.

Putin has done more for reducing greenhouse gas consumption than a million Greta Thunbergs.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.

They're delicious, although Tesco and Asda sell them too. Never seen them in Sainsbury's.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm starting to think London civil servants and officials honestly didn't expect so many people to want to queue up in this way. They're genuinely surprised by it. They shouldn't be.

There were stewards and police all the way up the route to Southwark Park a day before the queues had gone past London Bridge. They were exceptionally well prepared.
  • Options

RobD said:

Went through the queue overnight. Joined 10pm in Southwark Park, got to Westminster Hall just before 9am. Good atmosphere and well-managed, though the stop at around 4am for the rehearsal was painful!

It's definitely a potentially dangerous environment for those lacking in stamina - I saw paramedics needing to help people several times overnight

They'd have to work very fast, or someone would be tapping them on the shoulder and pointing out the queue is moving on.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Gas is down a lot today

As in the price of gas?

I've been following the Gas storage rates every day for the passed couple of weeks, on this website:

Short version: the EU storage is now 85.7% full, (fractionally above normal for this time of year). and is filling at about 0.3% a day, again consistently above the normal for this time of year.

The Russians shutting off 'Nord Stream 1' may have made gas more expensive but does not seem to be affecting the filling of the storage.
    The fun will be when the Russians want to turn Nord Stream 1 back on but Europe says "No, we're fine now thanks..."

Russia destroying its customer base will be the most dramatic outcome of Putin's little Ukrainian adventure.

Putin has done more for reducing greenhouse gas consumption than a million Greta Thunbergs.
    How much of it will still be produced, but burned off?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,207
    Top class London hotels doing very nicely for the funeral. The Savoy, Mandarin, Claridges etc. are quoting about £1300 per night for ordinary rooms, up from maybe £600 before.

The only "5 star" hotel I've ever stayed in in London, which was not very five star, is quoting £290 up from the usual £110 or so.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

RobD said:

There are a lot of misconceptions in the queue; mainly about the monarchy!

And good afternoon one and all; late today, due to a hospital visit. Turned out very well; I'm lined up for an operation in the near future. Maybe I'll get at least some use of my hands back. Apparently the odds on success are 3-1 .

That sounds like good news! Good luck OKC!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    I like mince pies, wish you could get them all year round. Also blue Stilton is my favourite cheese (actually you can get that all year, it just plummets in price in December).
    Me too, which is the problem.
  • Options
    Latest official advice:

"Entry to the queue has resumed
    Expected queueing time is 24 hours
    Overnight temperatures will be cold"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxDwDzAwEs
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.

They're delicious, although Tesco and Asda sell them too. Never seen them in Sainsbury's.
    The expertise one finds on PB. Ta muchly.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Oh no we're not.
    Me too, which is the problem.
    I buy mincemeat and puddings in bulk after Christmas when they cost literally pennies and then just have them as and when.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,989
    ohnotnow said:

RobD said:

There are a lot of misconceptions in the queue; mainly about the monarchy!

And good afternoon one and all; late today, due to a hospital visit. Turned out very well; I'm lined up for an operation in the near future. Maybe I'll get at least some use of my hands back. Apparently the odds on success are 3-1 .

That sounds like good news! Good luck OKC!
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Latest official advice:

wow even more suffering for the die hard masochists...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121
    ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Gas is down a lot today

As in the price of gas?

How much of it will still be produced, but burned off?
    If they think it will fuck up the West, as much as they can.

I don't know what proportion of their gas is a by-product of producing oil. They probably haven't worried too much about reinjecting gas; Europe would buy all they could produce.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

I said that yesterday, but there is a growing number of commentators pointing out that the queue is the point. The hardship is what makes the experience memorable, and valuable. The pilgrimage is nothing without the walk...
    +1 - it's one of those times when the old fashioned approach (queuing) works way better than any modern system which would be gamed in various ways instantly.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    carnforth said:

Top class London hotels doing very nicely for the funeral. The Savoy, Mandarin, Claridges etc. are quoting about £1300 per night for ordinary rooms, up from maybe £600 before.

The only "5 star" hotel I've ever stayed in in London, which was not very five star, is quoting £290 up from the usual £110 or so.

which is that last hotel if you arent keeping it a secret for yourself? not heading to london this weekend but we do like to. would you recommend it?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,169

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

thart said:

thart said:

You are batshit crazy
    He is a troll
    Yes, completely right

There are entirely sane sensible people who think Putin has a point, Corbyn was a nice guy, communism was OK actually, and so on

Let’s not drive them off the site

I’m serious! Troll hunting is as bad as doxxing. PB flourishes because we tolerate all opinions until and unless you break one of the relatively few rules
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

@LBC

We're not going to be waiting 70 years for the next one, so there is a brutally practical side to it.
    i really don't see Charles's/Charles' (let's not start that again) funeral being anything like as momentous an event with the level of reaction from the public.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

I am due to fly home tomorrow, but the Sevillean sun is so gorgeous I thought: ooh, one more day, maybe fly home Sunday?

Flights to London, on Sunday, have tripled in price. On Tuesday they are normal again
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

exactly. demand outstrips supply already. yes you could almost certainly make it easier but then how would you ration who got in and who didnt?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

You’re being obtuse

It all sounds good in theory but when you think about it in practice there are zillions of potential problems

The organizers went for safety and simplicity and a tried, trusted method, Can’t blame them

• Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

You’re being obtuse

It all sounds good in theory but when you think about it in practice there are zillions of potential problems

The organizers went for safety and simplicity and a tried, trusted method, Can’t blame them

I agree — except they've only had 70 years to plan this out properly.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

exactly. demand outstrips supply already. yes you could almost certainly make it easier but then how would you ration who got in and who didnt?
    you would give tickets out online...obviously some times would be more popular than others....you would have a good chance of getting a 4am slot
  • Options

carnforth said:

which is that last hotel if you arent keeping it a secret for yourself? not heading to london this weekend but we do like to. would you recommend it?
    The Chilworth, London Paddington. Perpetually the cheapest "5 star" in London. I stayed during the pandemic for £65. It's basically four and a bit star. Excellent (and cheap) Indian small-plates restaurant off the lobby though.
  • Options
    thart said:

Andy_JS said:

Latest official advice:

Can we agree that they are not doing you or anyone else any positive harm? You sound as if you envy them qualities like enterprise, courage and loyalty in which you perhaps feel yourself deficient. As to whether you actually are deficient, I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    Has anyone been on a “volcano tour” of Iceland?

The Gazette has just asked me if I want to do one in late October. It\s quite intense. 8 days of yomping up and down volcs and glaciers with talks on volcanos in between, plus aurora spotting and Arctic waterfalls and the like

Pros: it’s travel. NEVER TURN DOWN TRAVEL OR SEX

Cons: I’ve been to Iceland several times. I’ve seen the best volcano in the world (Sirte Ale in Ethiopia). It will be fucking freezing

Hmm….
  • Options
    thart said:

Bullshit
  • Options
    thart said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

you would give tickets out online...obviously some times would be more popular than others....you would have a good chance of getting a 4am slot
    the 4am slot tonight is "fully booked" by people in the queue already. and they deserve it more than some keyboard jockey who can hit "book now" faster than someone else.
  • Options

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

Much speculation about who’s in #TheQueue and why, but little evidence. That is, until a doughty band of @uniessexgovt researchers began a survey (using the kinds of methods developed for studying protests). Survey ongoing but here are snippets based on the first 300 responses.

60% Remain!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    There isn't going to be enough time for everyone to view the coffin who wants to do so. Regrettable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Gazette has just asked me if I want to do one in late October. It\s quite intense. 8 days of yomping up and down volcs and glaciers with talks on volcanos in between, plus aurora spotting and Arctic waterfalls and the like

Cons: I’ve been to Iceland several times. I’ve seen the best volcano in the world (Sirte Ale in Ethiopia). It will be fucking freezing

Hmm….

I'll do it if you won't...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

@LBC

That's not 'asking questions about whether the queue could have been set up or managed better'.

That's stating that it was deliberately set up and managed poorly by a nebulously defined group he dislikes.

That is a conspiracy, sorry Andy. He isn't simply asking a question, he's reached a conclusion, and its a crazy one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

Andy_JS said:

Latest official advice:

Can we agree that they are not doing you or anyone else any positive harm? You sound as if you envy them qualities like enterprise, courage and loyalty in which you perhaps feel yourself deficient. As to whether you actually are deficient, I couldn't possibly comment.
    check your grammar...its those not them...i thought you went to Oxford.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Andy_JS said:

There isn't going to be enough time for everyone to view the coffin who wants to do so. Regrettable.

Predictable.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

The Chilworth, London Paddington. Perpetually the cheapest "5 star" in London. I stayed during the pandemic for £65. It's basically four and a bit star. Excellent (and cheap) Indian small-plates restaurant off the lobby though.
    many thanks. I'll check it out for next time we visit. we dont normally do 5 stars, or even 4. the hotel we used to use never reopened after the pandemic. was pretty basic but we liked it and the location.
  • Options

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

60% Remain!
    But would most vote Tory... so a very much Cameroon Conservative queue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Hmm….

I'll do it if you won't...
    @Leon Recommed @ydoethur
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hmm….

you will be able to keep your white wine cool, unlike on your Portugal trek.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

many thanks. I'll check it out for next time we visit. we dont normally do 5 stars, or even 4. the hotel we used to use never reopened after the pandemic. was pretty basic but we liked it and the location.
    Now that we have online review sites, finding a clean and decent three star somewhere like Victoria is actually quite easy. I hate to think what it must have been like before the internet. Thankfully that was before my time.
  • Options

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

60% Remain!
    But would most vote Tory... so a very much Cameroon Conservative queue.
    it would also be interesting if the crowd there was a more anti or pro lockdown crowd
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

thart said:

@LBC

Oh please.

You’re being obtuse

I agree — except they've only had 70 years to plan this out properly.
    Seems like it's gone fine. A bit slow is not a disaster.
  • Options

Who is in the queue?

Thread:

60% Remain!
    London ...
This discussion has been closed.