Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The US Midterms are looking more challenging for the GOP – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chatting to a Bajan heritage lady today, very pro monarchy.

Reckons the way the Royals have behaved towards uppity Meghan Markle is why the Black Commonwealth will skedaddle ASAP.

The fire was there, the accelerant was added.

Boring. I wouldn't have noticed she was black if she didn't go on about it.

My latest theory is, Harry married her as a ticket out of the RF as much as she married him as a ticket into it. But she is ridiculous in her own right: LOL at her alleged convo with an untraceable S African who said that the rejoicing at her gewtting married was = to Mandela getting released from prison.

She is infinitely more beautiful than Mrs Wales, in whom the skull beneath the skin shows up more clearly by the day.

Having pulled them both I would say that Mrs Wales is more strikingly beautiful and Mrs Sussex is more fun looking. I found myself trying to be too well behaved with Mrs Wales and enamoured by her glacial beauty but with Mrs Sussex it was margaritas, giggles and fun then a two hour lecture on why I was part of the patriarchy because i had allowed her more enjoyment than I had received in order to create a dependency on on a white man.

Some of the above names and events have been changed for dramatic purposes and any likenesses to real people or events are entirely coincidental.

A friend of mine claims that Meghan sat on his lap outside a Kensington pub many years ago

He is also a significant heroin dealer - as in: supplying billionaires daughters. But he ALSO has brain damage from a fall when he had Covid

So his story is simultaneously dubious, believable and extremely titillating all at the same time
    im strangely attracted to Meghan even though i despise aspects of her personality. Kate does nothing for me at all
    Meghan is beautiful, and minxy

Kate is also beautiful. But it is a colder beauty

It will be tougher for both of them in ten years time, perhaps particularly Meghan, who trades more on her looks
    Thank you for that brief glimpse of gender politics from Queen Elizabeth's Coronation year.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Reckons the way the Royals have behaved towards uppity Meghan Markle is why the Black Commonwealth will skedaddle ASAP.

Have you told her it's all bollocks and the real issue is the way Megan Markle has behaved to the Royal family?
    That's partly true and partly not, I would say, but it's simply too important for the Royal Family. She simply has to be brought back into the fold, if they want to maintain an appeal to the Commonwealth and minorities. The monarchy is about symbolism, and it won't be able to cope with and navigate modern culture wars without this symbolism.

Her children are still 6th and 7th in line to the throne, it was her decision to sod off to California.

If really needed George can marry a BME wife in 20 or 30 years
    Your psychotic sociopathy is showing there, do you not remember what happened when Charles married a wife who was what was really needed?
    Yes, we got the most glamorous and charismatic figure the royal family has had
    so far into the firm
    And we all can agree it worked out perfectly. Unless of course you think The King messed her around - that surely can’t be the case - or that she was the problem - which also can’t be the case as she was charismatic and glamorous.

Maybe it just wasn’t the right match and leave it to George to decide. Seems to work for the PoW.

For the royals it did work out perfectly, certainly in terms of the heir. Charles too has now married Camilla just not had the heir with her.

The British royals are ruthless, that is why they are still there, the Duchess of Cambridge has also brought some working class ancestry into the monarchy as well as sophistication. If some BME blood is required too to make a fully 21st century monarchy, George will be told to do the necessary
    I sincerely hope not. He is a person who should be allowed the pleasures of life as much as anyone else.
    The royal family has always arranged marriages for the heir to the throne, just no longer someone from the aristocracy or European royalty but someone who will appeal to the public and produce a suitable heir
    It may have been that way in the past, but times move on and George has every right to find his own happiness as indeed should everyone
    It was the way with Diana, to an extent it was the way with Kate who the Queen also approved of and it will also be the way with George. The marriage of the heir to the throne is the key way of ensuring the heir to the throne continues the brand to the next generation and via their first born too
    Let us hope it is not as it is morally wrong and repugnant as is the rest of your paragraph
    It is the way the royals have always done it whether you like it or not, arranged marriages for the heir and certainly at least a block on marriages disapproved of eg Wallace Simpson or Camilla when they might be mother of the future monarch
    Because it has been done in the past is no excuse to continue the repugnant practise
    which you seem to condone
    Tough, it will always be that way, to ensure
    the continuation of the line onto the next generation and to preserve the
    brand
    And if George turns out to be gay? Or
    trans....?
    HYUFD Googles Edward II…
    Edward II still produced an heir, Edward III
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    thart said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Have you told her it's all bollocks and the real issue is the way Megan Markle has behaved to the Royal family?
    That's partly true and partly not, I would say, but it's simply too important for the Royal Family. She simply has to be brought back into the fold, if they want to maintain an appeal to the Commonwealth and minorities. The monarchy is about symbolism, and it won't be able to cope with and navigate modern culture wars without this symbolism.

Her children are still 6th and 7th in line to the throne, it was her decision to sod off to California.

Your psychotic sociopathy is showing there, do you not remember what happened when Charles married a wife who was what was really needed?
    so far into the firm
    And we all can agree it worked out perfectly. Unless of course you think The King messed her around - that surely can’t be the case - or that she was the problem - which also can’t be the case as she was charismatic and glamorous.

Maybe it just wasn’t the right match and leave it to George to decide. Seems to work for the PoW.

For the royals it did work out perfectly, certainly in terms of the heir. Charles too has now married Camilla just not had the heir with her.

The British royals are ruthless, that is why they are still there, the Duchess of Cambridge has also brought some working class ancestry into the monarchy as well as sophistication. If some BME blood is required too to make a fully 21st century monarchy, George will be told to do the necessary
    I sincerely hope not. He is a person who should be allowed the pleasures of life as much as anyone else.
    The royal family has always arranged marriages for the heir to the throne, just no longer someone from the aristocracy or European royalty but someone who will appeal to the public and produce a suitable heir
    It may have been that way in the past, but times move on and George has every right to find his own happiness as indeed should everyone
    It was the way with Diana, to an extent it was the way with Kate who the Queen also approved of and it will also be the way with George. The marriage of the heir to the throne is the key way of ensuring the heir to the throne continues the brand to the next generation and via their first born too
    Let us hope it is not as it is morally wrong and repugnant as is the rest of your paragraph
    It is the way the royals have always done it whether you like it or not, arranged marriages for the heir and certainly at least a block on marriages disapproved of eg Wallace Simpson or Camilla when they might be mother of the future monarch
    Because it has been done in the past is no excuse to continue the repugnant practise which you seem to condone
    Tough, it will always be that way, to ensure the continuation of the line onto the next generation and to preserve the brand
    And if George turns out to be gay? Or trans....?
    well at one time there were rumours about Prince Edward
    Which he disproved by not joining the Marines.
  • Options
    thartthart Posts: 139

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

My latest theory is, Harry married her as a ticket out of the RF as much as she married him as a ticket into it. But she is ridiculous in her own right: LOL at her alleged convo with an untraceable S African who said that the rejoicing at her gewtting married was = to Mandela getting released from prison.

She is infinitely more beautiful than Mrs Wales, in whom the skull beneath the skin shows up more clearly by the day.

Having pulled them both I would say that Mrs Wales is more strikingly beautiful and Mrs Sussex is more fun looking. I found myself trying to be too well behaved with Mrs Wales and enamoured by her glacial beauty but with Mrs Sussex it was margaritas, giggles and fun then a two hour lecture on why I was part of the patriarchy because i had allowed her more enjoyment than I had received in order to create a dependency on on a white man.

Some of the above names and events have been changed for dramatic purposes and any likenesses to real people or events are entirely coincidental.

A friend of mine claims that Meghan sat on his lap outside a Kensington pub many years ago

He is also a significant heroin dealer - as in: supplying billionaires daughters. But he ALSO has brain damage from a fall when he had Covid

So his story is simultaneously dubious, believable and extremely titillating all at the same time

You could have precised your story to "A friend of mine is full of s***"

Literally and metaphorically.
    Nearly everyone is.

Two exceptions I can think of, are Russian former work colleagues.

Both would tell the exact truth, to the point and beyond, of being fired from jobs. One literally did that.

Somewhere between scary and awesome to watch. A close Russian relative is close to that, but more circumspect - she would decline to answer in some way.

If it is a strand of Russian culture - and it seems to be - it is a splendid thing
    the dutch also have a tradition of direct speaking....the english by contrast can be wearingly indirect
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

Because it has been done in the past is no excuse to continue the repugnant practise which you seem to condone
    Tough, it will always be that way, to ensure the continuation of the line onto the next generation and to preserve the brand
    If we had followed the Jacobean line we would currently have a gay King
    Not for the first time, so many would say. Generally performed a duty though.
  • Options

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

im strangely attracted to Meghan even though i despise aspects of her personality. Kate does nothing for me at all

It will be tougher for both of them in ten years time, perhaps particularly Meghan, who trades more on her looks
    Thank you for that brief glimpse of gender politics from Queen Elizabeth's Coronation year.
    next we go to who fancies Liz Truss
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

Gay couples can have children too now you know
    Wow! The wonders of 21st Century reproductive science.
  • Options
    thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nearly everyone is.

Both would tell the exact truth, to the point and beyond, of being fired from jobs. One literally did that.

Somewhere between scary and awesome to watch. A close Russian relative is close to that, but more circumspect - she would decline to answer in some way.

If it is a strand of Russian culture - and it seems to be - it is a splendid thing
    the dutch also have a tradition of direct speaking....the english by contrast can be wearingly indirect
    I prefer to think of it as making life an ambiguous verbal puzzle to solve.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Love Anne's hat. Is it army or navy?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    I agree that both Kate and Meghan are beautiful, incidentally.

Re; HYUFD's point about it being irrelevant what people think in the US, I couldn't disagree more. A key warning bell in the last year or so is how parts of the US left have started to axiomatically adopt the "Meghan = goddess" position as an identity issue, and how often now the Trumpite right, nominally and historically Republican, adopt the "Meghan = evil minority Lady Macbeth" position, again as a central, almost global identity issue.

There is no *way* the monarchy can allow that to continue unchecked, and to become a rallying point for global division and polarisations, because as we know culturally ; since the 1950's, a large amount of what starts in the US cultural and political space, almost *always* comes over to us.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nearly everyone is.

In my experience the Dutch make up for the extremely honest ones by having a levening of lying tossers of epic proportions.

Bit like the Russians, I suppose.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,941
    thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nearly everyone is.

There was a World Service thing a while back talking to Dutch women - one of the reasons they said they liked English men was that they could flatter (lie) convincingly where-as Dutch men would just say 'Yes, that dress does make you look fat.'
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

Gay couples can have children too now you know
    They've also always been allowed to get married. Albeit not to each other.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    edited September 2022
    Off-topic:

Are any of the Ukrainian tractor boys available to haul out a Vulcan?

https://twitter.com/Staplefordtrain/status/1570805616020688903/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Staplefordtrain/status/1570842590215573504/photo/1

I love the idea of these high-speed taxi displays of aircraft that are no longer allowed to fly, but someone's going to get killed one day.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is quite ludicrous to pretend that Kate and Meghan are where they are for any reason other than their notable beauty
  • Options

Admiral insurance?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    edited September 2022
    jonny83 said:

David Beckham queued up for 12 hours, fair play to him. Meanwhile other celebs got through the VIP line...

The VIP line???????????????

Are you serious? I hope you aren't about to ruin the magic of this moment. I couldn't bear it if a bunch of narcissistic celebrities were getting preferential treatment.* The whole point is that there is one place where all British subjects are truly equal. The queue.

*I accept some notables might have particular security concerns but otherwise NO!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited September 2022

jonny83 said:

David Beckham queued up for 12 hours, fair play to him. Meanwhile other celebs got through the VIP line...

Are you serious? I hope you aren't about to ruin the magic of this moment. I couldn't bear it if a bunch of narcissistic celebrities were getting preferential treatment.* The whole point is that there is one place where all British subjects are truly equal. The queue.

*I accept some notables might have particular security concerns but otherwise NO!
    Schofield and Willoughby got in via VIP access.
    Pair of c***s
  • Options
    @WarMonitor3
    "The Kyrgyzstani Parliament has now stated that if the “Invasion” of its territory by Tajikistani Forces is not ceased by morning than a State of Martial Law will exist and a General Mobilization will be ordered within the Country."

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1570847756343975938
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Pair of c***s
    Possibly. I agree it looks utterly shite. But there was some talk of them using a special press gallery line?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,934
    Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is quite ludicrous to pretend that Kate and Meghan are where they are for any reason other than their notable beauty
    William and Harry are only with those women because of who they are could also be suggested.

If Harry wasn’t Prince Harry he would likely be Harry Windsor, alumni of Harper Adams agricultural college, not even CiAg, most likely working for foxtons and still hanging out at the sands end or some bar in Clapham Common. Proper nice but dim.

So they are both punching.

• Options

Admiral insurance?
    Nice one. But her boots had spurs so I'm guessing army.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    The heir to the Jacobite/Stuart line of succession, Duke Franz of Bavaria lives with his partner, Dr Thomas Greinwald
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

A colder beauty = the preying mantis look, with Night of the Living Dead accents.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Pair of c***s
    Possibly. I agree it looks utterly shite. But there was some talk of them using a special press gallery line?
    The latter point was just generally ;)
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

William and Harry are only with those women because of who they are could also be suggested.

If Harry wasn’t Prince Harry he would likely be Harry Windsor, alumni of Harper Adams agricultural college, not even CiAg, most likely working for foxtons and still hanging out at the sands end or some bar in Clapham Common. Proper nice but dim.

But of course

It is all luck. A genetic lottery. Someone is born rich, or thin, or lovely, or stupid, or white, or black, or Scottish, or landed, or mega-intelligent, or horse-faced, or funny, or boring, or whatever

And you find a mate that is roughly on your level, if you bring money, they bring looks, if you bring beauty, they bring status, and so the deal is done
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention: LAB: 40% (=) CON: 28% (=) LDM: 10% (+1) GRN: 6% (-1) RFM: 5% (+1) SNP: 4% (-1) Via @PeoplePolling , 13 Sep. Changes w/ 7 Sep.

Liz bounce continues
  • Options

Admiral insurance?
    Nice one. But her boots had spurs so I'm guessing army.
    She was a noted horsewoman at one point, so not really a surprise
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nearly everyone is.

We are fearsomely direct compared to the culture in many countries in Asia.
  • Options

@WarMonitor3
    "The Kyrgyzstani Parliament has now stated that if the “Invasion” of its territory by Tajikistani Forces is not ceased by morning than a State of Martial Law will exist and a General Mobilization will be ordered within the Country."

The centre cannot hold etc etc...
  • Options

Westminster Voting Intention: LAB: 40% (=) CON: 28% (=) LDM: 10% (+1) GRN: 6% (-1) RFM: 5% (+1) SNP: 4% (-1) Via @PeoplePolling , 13 Sep. Changes w/ 7 Sep.

Liz bounce continues

dead woman walking...poor ideas no charisma
  • Options
    edited September 2022

@WarMonitor3

How many former Soviet republics can be at war at one time?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Direct talk: I thought they did that in Yorkshire.
    Once on a motorbike in black leathers and in Yorks I pulled over to get my bearings. A little old lady (lol) pulling a two wheeled shopping cart came over directly and asked if she could help. Otherwhere generally people might cringe or deign not to notice.

Another time I had a similar experience in Glasgow and a bloke hurried over to ask if I needed help. I knew that was what he offered, but couldn't understand a word.
  • Options
    Is the Harry & Megs hayterz situation another of those not all Xers are racists but all racists are Xers things?
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    The heir to the Jacobite/Stuart line of succession, Duke Franz of Bavaria lives with his partner, Dr Thomas Greinwald
    Would the consort of a gay king be called the king consort, monarch consort, or what?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

A colder beauty = the preying mantis look, with Night of the Living Dead accents.
    Did you ever see the French pap photos of the Princess of Wales… virtually naked?

You would. Really. You would. I will go no further, as we are speaking of royalty
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I agree that both Kate and Meghan are beautiful, incidentally.

Re; HYUFD's point about it being irrelevant what people think in the US, I couldn't disagree more. A key warning bell in the last year or so is how parts of the US left have started to axiomatically adopt the "Meghan = goddess" position as an identity issue, and how often now the Trumpite right, nominally and historically Republican, adopt the "Meghan = evil minority Lady Macbeth" position, again as a central, almost global identity issue.

There is no *way* the monarchy can allow that to continue unchecked, and to become a rallying point for global division and polarisations, because as we know culturally ; since the 1950's, a large amount of what starts in the US cultural and political space, almost *always* comes over to us.

Absolute rubbish, the US views of our monarchy are completely irrelevant. Both Democrats and Republicans back their republic, neither want to return to a monarchy.

Do you think Republicans gave a shit what we Brits thought of Bush and Trump or Democrats give a shit what we think of Biden? Of course not.

Nor should we give a shit what Americans think of the royal family
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Is the Harry & Megs hayterz situation another of those not all Xers are racists but all racists are Xers things?

Is X, member of the Royal Family?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    Would the consort of a gay king be called the king consort, monarch consort, or what?
    Duke of Buckingham?
    James I jokes aside, probably given a title like Phil and no 'wife' type denomination
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

@WarMonitor3

I doubt this will be the last.
    It's gonna be open season now the Big Bad Bear has been shown to be no such thing.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,640

Liz bounce continues

The bounce may have a while to run but the next variant is on the horizon.

If as expected she and Kwazi announce changes to animal welfare regulations alongside the bankers’ bonus cap lifting, and if as equally expected sterling dips below 1.1 with the dollar, we’ll see a couple more points notched up in the LLG score, to comfortably above 60%.
  • Options

i remember at my school we used to make monkey sounds when black students walked by the classroom.....it was all in good fun of course and even the black students laughed along....wasnt that long ago either
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Sorry if this has been noted already. Is the idea that royal duty is a 'lie' the best way of attracting the couple of million of Tory voters Labour needs fairly soon?

Maybe there are many believers, but I doubt if they voted Tory last time.

Anyone who doubts Labour's capacity to lose the next election needs to think again. And bet according.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/16/idea-of-monarchy-as-symbol-of-duty-or-sacrifice-a-lie-says-labours-clive-lewis
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    Probably just Consort, or Prince Consort, like Prince Albert was.

• Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022

@WarMonitor3

The atmosphere at the SCO meeting must have been similar to what it was in NATO when Turkey invaded Cyprus.

Azerbaijan versus Armenia is also flaring up, with 200 killed this week.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think we’ve only got up to VIII so no X yet.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

It's gonna be open season now the Big Bad Bear has been shown to be no such thing.
    Rumour that Iran is amassing troops on Armenia border
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    algarkirk said:

Sorry if this has been noted already. Is the idea that royal duty is a 'lie' the best way of attracting the couple of million of Tory voters Labour needs fairly soon?

Anyone who doubts Labour's capacity to lose the next election needs to think again. And bet according.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/16/idea-of-monarchy-as-symbol-of-duty-or-sacrifice-a-lie-says-labours-clive-lewis

Lewis is on Corbynite point duty. Deliberately ignore Keirs mourning gag order
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    thart said:

i remember at my school we used to make monkey sounds when black students walked by the classroom.....it was all in good fun of course and even the black students laughed along....wasnt that long ago either
    Your anecdote doesn't surprise me at all. Overt racism and defensive laughter were quite common in my youth too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Did you ever see the French pap photos of the Princess of Wales… virtually naked?

You would. Really. You would. I will go no further, as we are speaking of royalty
    Paragraph 1. No. You're bloody making that up!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    algarkirk said:

Presumably the best way to do that is to become the Tory Party 2, but that would seem to be an approach more suitable to a semi-democracy like early 21st century Russia.
  • Options
    thart said:

Liz bounce continues

dead woman walking...poor ideas no charisma
    The indications so far is that she is one out of: courageous, foolhardy or vainglorious. Which one it is will determine who wins the bets.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

James O'Brien is now spreading conspiracy theories about the queue.

@LBC
    'They could have conducted the ticketing system in a way that did not involve an enormous queue snaking through London.'

James O'Brien deems ‘The Establishment’s’ choice to cause enormous queues to enter Westminster Hall 'completely deliberate’.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1570713491195166721

Asking questions about whether the queue could have been set up or managed better is not a conspiracy theory.
    Claiming it has been done like that on purpose for some ulterior motive definitely is a conspiracy theory. O'Brien proves yet again what an utter twat he is.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sure, but youd ask if her sister was coming for Christmas
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

@WarMonitor3

The atmosphere at the SCO meeting must have been similar to what it was in NATO when Turkey invaded Cyprus.

Azerbaijan versus Armenia is also flaring up, with 200 killed this week.
    cant keep up with all these wars...china will invade Taiwan next
  • Options
    thart said:

kids can be vicious.. At about age eight somebody found out that a girl in our class was adopted and called her "ashcan girl", but the teacher came down on that strongly.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

@LBC
    'They could have conducted the ticketing system in a way that did not involve an enormous queue snaking through London.'

James O'Brien deems ‘The Establishment’s’ choice to cause enormous queues to enter Westminster Hall 'completely deliberate’.

Asking questions about whether the queue could have been set up or managed better is not a conspiracy theory.
    Claiming it has been done like that on purpose for some ulterior motive definitely is a conspiracy theory. O'Brien proves yet again what an utter twat he is.
    But hes sooooooo genuine when he emotes his outrage, surely??
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

Unfortunately we are very close to World War breaking out
  • Options

Liz bounce continues

Party politics are on hold during mourning.
  • Options
    Toms said:

thart said:

kids can be vicious.. At about age eight somebody found out that a girl in our class was adopted and called her "ashcan girl", but the teacher came down on that strongly.
    in my class we drove one supply teacher to a nervous breakdown....things went a bit too far i suppose
  • Options
    Foxy said:

thart said:

Your anecdote doesn't surprise me at all. Overt racism and defensive laughter were quite common in my youth too.
    You weren’t a very nice youth, then
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

@LBC

It would have been much more efficient to have the coffin move past a stationary queue.

I guess they will figure that out by Monday.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    It's not really a question of whether we should care, HYUFD. it's more like something to do with the realities of power and culture.

Whether we like it or not, we are very highly integrated with US social-media culture and popular culture, more so than possibly any other country. I would be willing to bet that cultural blowback from these often US-led perceptions has already affected the levels of support of some minority groups for the monarchy in the UK.

Beyond that, there's also the issue of how often similar tropes are being reproduced in places like the Caribbean and Africa, and elsewhere in the world beyond, nowadays. They simply have no choice but to deal with it if they want to secure their future. You simply can't have a global role of crystallising divisions, if your depend for your raison d'etre on the opposite.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

Desperately trying to update my geographic knowledge of various 'stans and caucus countries.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    But if Henry VIII's will had been respected the Stuart line wouldn't even have started.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

Desperately trying to update my geographic knowledge of various 'stans and caucus countries.

Its what Turkey, Iran and Russia variously do thats key

Edit - for Eschatologists its all very Gog Magog
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

well it might finally bring house prices down so theres that
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

Yeah, I’m kind of resigned to it, now

The Times was tweeting earlier about all the ways it makes sense for Putin to drop some form of nuclear weapon, or to blow up the Zap plant in a major way. He needs a massive game changer, that could be it

Oh well. It’s been good hanging with all you guys, over the years
  • Options
    boulay said:

rcs1000 said:

I think we’ve only got up to VIII so no X yet.
    Henry VIII was such a powerful, enduring image no one seems to have dared go for a Henry IX (pretenders notwithstanding). The Georges have almost caught up and had none at the time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    But if Henry VIII's will had been respected the Stuart line wouldn't even have started.
    Indeed, the Earl of Jersey would now be King
  • Options
    EPG said:

algarkirk said:

Presumably the best way to do that is to become the Tory Party 2, but that would seem to be an approach more suitable to a semi-democracy like early 21st century Russia.
    No that does not follow unless you believe that parties don't exist in order to win elections and run the country; or that Labour can win without votes from millions of centrist Tory voters.

The whole point of democracy is that parties who want power have to conform themselves to where voters are. It isn't about the people conforming to the party.

• Options
    Has anyone noticed Leon's profile picture? What's it say? I think she looks challenging.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Re; Ben Okri, I haven't followed his latest works, but looking up I saw that he's got too recent books out - "the age of magic" and "the freedom artist". I agree with you that he's a good, richly imaginative writer.

He wrote this quite nice piece about the Queen last week, which got very little exposure. I don't agree with everythng he says, but I think it's broadly good , and it's striking how he reveals more by taking such a different tone to the ultra-secular tone of the majority of modern society, but also remaining liberal and open. I haven't see a single other writer or journalist cover it in this sort of way.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/10/queen-elizabeth-was-part-of-our-psyche

"Queen Elizabeth ruled at a time when the spiritual energy of the world was moving from a male-centred universe to one desperately in need of feminine energies. After two world wars, after the toxicity of Nazism, which was male energy at its most disordered and insane, what the world truly needed, at the level of its subconscious, was a female force, a stable, balancing, presence."

Interesting that there are Okri fans on here - I thought Famished Road was one of most turgid things I had ever read, as did the friend who lent it to me. Another (bookshop-owning) friend finds his books sell to the sort of people she describews as 'shelf-decorators'.
    Yes not for everyone. A bit like Mantel or, yes, Proust or even JJ himself. You've got to give yourself over completely to their world. If so much as your big toe remains outside it's all over.
    And yet Mantel and Proust are fine for me (haven't read Joyce). The big modern worldbuilder for me is John Crowley. The Aegypt cycle is extremely dense and rewarding.
    Are you saying that people have different tastes in literature???

I will have to give it a go never heard of him, embarrassing to say.

As for the "shelf-decorators" it begs two questions - first, are there really people who buy books just so they can have an impressive bookcase; and secondly, the more important question - what proportion of your books should you legitimately not have read and be planning to.

Edit: WAIT, WHAT??? Haven't read Joyce???????????????
    Re the shelf-decorators: yes, I can attest to this as a former bookseller myself. Keys are: they buy hardbacks; they won't buy more than one by any given author; prizewinners are important; the author's name needs to be very visible from a distance. I've heard people talk about who's getting 'demoted' to make room for a current big name. Mantel was v. popular because of the size of her Wolf Hall series.

What proportion of books can you have unread, but be planning to? For me it's currently running at around 5%: nearly 3000 books, of which around 150 are on the 'to be read' shelves.

Joyce: no, haven't got round to him yet. Even at around 100 books a year, there's only so much I can get through.
    I use the Library Thing website to keep a track of my books. Currently just under 4000 of which I have read about 2/3rds. Like you, I try to read 100 books a year but rarely ever hit the target. Normally around 80-90. So I reckon that as long as I live a reasonably long life I still have plenty of time to finish all the books I own but have not yet read.
    4000 is _very_impressive. I've known a lot of people who say they've got 'thousands of books', and when I go around... not quite so many.

I'm probably going to be around 80-90 this year, partly due to reading some chunky books - Don Quixote, Tom Jones and the like.

Have you come across the Japenese concept of 'tsundoku'? The library of books that you own, and will reads, but haven't yet. Considered a sign of an open mind.
    I had heard of it but until you mentioned it could not have told you the name. I like it very much as a concept. My intent is to read every book I own. Whether I will achieve that or not I don't know but I think it a worthy aim.

I try and split my reading equally between fiction and non-fiction. And the fiction ranges from classics to the utterly commonplace airport paperbacks by people like Tom Knox. :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

@LBC

It would have been much more efficient to have the coffin move past a stationary queue.

I guess they will figure that out by Monday.
    Needed slides down the stairs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

On the other hand. He may have had a long and distinguished Army career.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

thart said:

I was in Equatorial Guinea once in a negotiation. Inside room.

Power cut.

One of the EG negotiating team said "All they can see of us now are our teeth!" And they all fell about laughing.
    Not exactly comfortable laughing along, but they thought it was a hoot...so who were we to be pompously suggest "that does come across as rather racist of us, you know...."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    Fuck that - know him well and he’s a great bloke but no.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

The Times was tweeting earlier about all the ways it makes sense for Putin to drop some form of nuclear weapon, or to blow up the Zap plant in a major way. He needs a massive game changer, that could be it

If nothing else the deteriorating financial situation screams War Economy
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

Unless he invades a NATO nation there won't be a world war whatever happens in Ukraine
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not for the first time I reflect upon a series with the world in a state of near constant warfare (it suddenly seems more plausible) with Harry as a tough as nails career soldier, and as part of a naval fleet is sent back in time to WW2. He was only a minor character in it, but did meet up with Philip and granny briefly IIRC.
  • Options
    I cannot really see an image of a lot of royals without recalling Linda Smith joking about how you see them on the balcony and there's 12 people but only about 3 different faces.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

If Harry wasn’t Prince Harry he would likely be Harry Windsor, alumni of Harper Adams agricultural college, not even CiAg, most likely working for foxtons and still hanging
    out at the sands end or some bar in Clapham Common. Proper nice but dim.

Absolutely - but he would have had a very different Army career and prob not had the doors open to regiments that he could walk into as Prince Harry. Maybe Royal Dragoon Guards rather than Household Cavalry type situation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

so far into the firm

What?
    Thanks. I hadn't followed the lines down to the present day.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Kate isn't THAT beautiful. Not unpleasant looking, and certainly an appealing face in a way that Diana didn't have, but I'd say nothing more than top decile.
    Meghan is very beautiful - easily top 1% - but with a face I'd instinctively distrust.
    Frankly, I would very much prefer Kate's likeable face across the breakfast table. Beauty only goes so far.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

If you look carefully at the New Testament it shows that the earliest church (direct evidence from AD 50) was predicated on the assumption that the end of the world as we know it - the current order - would be abolished and transformed in a generation at most. They were both wrong and successful. It's not impossible that the future of the world is now predicated on the assured certainty of climate catastrophe and nuclear winter. These too may be wrong but successful. Hope so.

• Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

The Chinese will have told him "Nope...."
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    thart said:

That's perhaps intended to be, what, a disarming admission?

Doesn't work.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

I share your very bad feeling about this.

You have to wonder how "on the brink" people felt in 1913 or 1938. How many knew it was coming and how many said it could never happen, wiser heads would prevail.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

thart said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Kate isn't THAT beautiful. Not unpleasant looking, and certainly an appealing face in a way that Diana didn't have, but I'd say nothing more than top decile.
    Meghan is very beautiful - easily top 1% - but with a face I'd instinctively distrust.
    Frankly, I would very much prefer Kate's likeable face across the breakfast table. Beauty only goes so far.
    you just know Meghan would be a lot better in bed though....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited September 2022

As a mark of respect to the Royal family at this difficult time....

...Leon knocks one out over a photo of Kate.

Old skool - Di!

Perhaps even an AI mash up a deux.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

It's not really a question of whether we should care, HYUFD. it's more like something to do with the realities of power and culture.

Whether we like it or not, we are very highly integrated with US social-media culture and popular culture, more so than possibly any other country. I would be willing to bet that cultural blowback from these often US-led perceptions has already affected the levels of support of some minority groups for the monarchy in the UK.

Beyond that, there's also the issue of how often similar tropes are being reproduced in places like the Caribbean and Africa, and elsewhere in the world beyond, nowadays. They simply have no choice but to deal with it if they want to secure their future. You simply can't have a global role of crystallising divisions, if your depend for your raison d'etre on the opposite.

I repeat. I don't give a shit what Americans or US media think about our royal family and nor should the royals. Americans dumped the royals for a President centuries ago.

The culture wars are going on across the West, leading to a resurgent nationalist right from the Sweden Democrats to Meloni to Brexit to Trump as a backlash against the far left ultra Woke.

The royals are constitutional monarchs, they have no role in it either way. Indeed they are a unifying force, combining tradition and heritage for conservatives with eco Charles and mildly woke William for the liberal left.

Most of Africa and the Caribbean also have their own heads of State now anyway and the Commonwealth as even William has said will ultimately choose its own head, likely rotated between Commonwealth heads of State. The only Commonwealth realms to remain likely the white majority ones like Canada and New Zealand plus maybe PNG
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

thart said:

That's perhaps intended to be, what, a disarming admission?

Doesn't work.
    you are way too serious all the time..lighten up
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

thart said:

You weren’t a very nice youth, then
    Racist banter and jokes were certainly normal then. I am not proud of some of the jokes I made then, but certainly wouldn't make them now.
    It was the same in Hereford, for me, age 10

I remember when Hereford United played West Ham in the FA Cup - they were several divisions above us and it was all very exciting. The Hammers had a couple of black players. Black people were a total rarity in Herefordshire then, I don’t think I ever saw one before the 80s

Us Hereford fans thought it incredibly amusing to do monkey chants and hurl bananas whenever the black players touched the ball

It makes me cringe with shame just to write that

I don’t think it was pure racism. It was just another way of mocking and insulting the opposing players, with extra motifs of racism. I doubt people in Hereford thought about “race” from one day to the next. Everyone was white, that was life

i went back to Hereford a couple of years ago and was astonished to see quite a few black people, apparently happily assimilated, drinking in loud exuberant mixed race groups in the pubs I used to frequent, Not a hint of racism or even awareness of any difference
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

@WarMonitor3

Unless he invades a NATO nation there won't be a world war whatever happens in Ukraine
    Leon's Marvin the Paranoid Android post required a response. I am not sure yours was that response.
  • Options

As a mark of respect to the Royal family at this difficult time....

...Leon knocks one out over a photo of Kate.

Is THAT what they mean by "minute gun"?
This discussion has been closed.